Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Certain Heavenly Feeling(ToAru-FSN)

You can quote me, but be prepared to be wrong. MaHaL's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    So this is a bit late. There was a trip, and a medical test, and a whole bunch of other stuff to be done though. At least it got here in the right week.

Chapter 7​

“I...hah...did it!” Shirou exclaimed weakly as she caught her breath. She'd insisted they take the stairs to reach the floor of the hospital this “Heaven Canceller” was working on. Sakura and Sella slowed to a halt behind her on the deserted landing as she leaned on the wall slightly. Rider was working with the movers, who had arrived with her “most treasured tool” that morning. Shirou shuddered and prayed they hadn't scratched the paint job.

“Are you sure you haven't...overdone it Senpai?” Sakura asked delicately. Shirou shook her head in the negative.

“Sella says that even though we were created by alchemy, we're still pretty much human in all the ways that matter. It's true that Illya's body is a little...lacking when it comes to physical stamina, that's no reason I can't improve the situation with a little hard work and determination!” she replied passionately with a small fist pump. Sakura stared flatly at Sella, who had the decency to blush.

“That is true Shirou-sama, but working yourself to physical exhaustion on a regular basis is actually somewhat counterproductive. It's important to be patient and pace yourself with these sorts of goals.” Sella pointed out. Shirou groaned.

“It's only six flights! If I can't even manage that without getting winded, then what use am I?!” she asked in exasperation.

“You will improve Shirou-sama. Give it time.” the maid encouraged. Shirou's expression soured slightly.

“Fine. Let's just go meet this guy already.” she replied.

____________________​

“Emiya-san.” a nurse called from the doorway, making Shirou jump slightly and return to full wakefulness. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes as the nurse tried to repress a grin. “The doctor will see you now.” the nurse declared.

'Well it's about time isn't it?' Shirou thought grumpily. Her earlier estimation of how long this trip was going to take turned out to be woefully mistaken as they spent the better part of an hour in the waiting room. On one hand, it was actually somewhat reassuring this doctor wasn't treating them any differently from his other patients. On the other, who wants to wait forty-five minutes? They walked down the halls and entered an examination room.

'He's...a doctor.' Shirou concluded as she caught her first glimpse of the man Aleister Crowley had spoken of so highly. A balding, gray-haired older man with a clean-shaven face. He had a wide mouth and distant eyes that lent him a...frog-like appearance. Glancing at his ID badge she actually saw a sticker of a cartoon frog character covering up his face. Her lips quirked upward. Maybe he'd turn out to be alright in spite of his relationship to Crowley, but she couldn't discount the possibility that she might end up stabbing him as well. The man looked absorbed in thought, but his face brightened as he noticed their presence.

“Ah! So you're the new patient, huh?” he asked warmly with a smile that reached his eyes. “Go ahead, take a seat.” he invited as his guests obligingly occupied their seats.

“Uh...there's a bit of a confidentiality issue here, Tachibana-san. So if you don't mind?” the doctor asked the nurse, whose eyes widened slightly before nodding.

“Certainly Amachi-sensei. Call me if you need anything.” she said before departing the room. The doctor returned his attention to his new patient.

“So, you must be Emiya...Illyasviel?” the doctor asked, lifting a single intrigued eyebrow.

“Yes...but please call me Shirou.” Shirou asked, trying to keep the pleading tone out of her voice.

“Shirou huh?” the doctor replied in a dubious tone. “Well, alright then Shirou-san. I believe it's only right to call folks by what they prefer.” he offered, instantly gaining points with his patient. “Incidentally, most folks around here call me 'Heaven Canceller,' but as you've seen”—he said, gesturing toward the door—“some prefer Doctor Amachi. I'm fine with either to be honest. Who are your companions?” the doctor inquired.

“I'm Matou Sakura.” Sakura introduced herself.

“I am Sella von Einzbern.” Sella followed suit.

“Einzbern huh? Yeah, that sounds about right. I...at this point I feel that I should admit something to you all. Part of the reason I had nurse Tachibana leave the room is so I could speak to you freely. I'm one of the few people in the city who is aware of the existence of magic, though I am not a practitioner myself.” the doctor admitted, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly. “I've also...uh...worked with homunculi on rare occasions in the past so...I'm thinking that's probably why Aleister wants me on this one.” he concluded with a nod to himself before looking at his audience whose mouths were hanging slightly slack. “You'll catch flies.” he admonished jokingly.

“How...how does that work? Knowing about magic but never practicing it? Did Crowley tell you about it?” Sella inquired uncertainly. The doctor smiled slightly and shook his head.

“No. I...hmm...'dabbled' with it some in my youth I guess you'd say. I thought I'd be able to use it to save some lives that would've otherwise been lost, but...reality wasn't that kind.” he replied.

“Organizations like the Association value their secrecy more than the lives of random people.” Sella agreed. “Historically, stories like yours haven't ended well.” she noted. The doctor's face darkened slightly.

“Oh, I'm well aware of what happened to Paracelsus. That story, among many other factors, led to me eventually avoiding the company of magi altogether. I vowed that everything I had learned to accomplish with magic, I would learn to accomplish without it. The effort is...still ongoing, but now they can't stop me from using my knowledge the way I want to.” he declared firmly. The smaller homunculus' eyes were sparkling slightly.

“That...is so admirable, sensei!” she declared, clearly overcome. The other two with her were more reserved. “Why does someone like you work for Crowley?” she questioned in confusion. The doctor sighed.

“Aleister is...an old friend. I helped him out once in a pinch and we helped set up this city together. I may not approve of everything the man does, but...occasionally it turns out for the best. I hope that someday he'll realize where he went wrong. At this point, that's pretty much all that I can do.” the doctor replied in a weary voice.

“A friend, huh? I see...” Shirou mused to herself as she nodded in understanding. It was always important to try and help a friend...even if they seemed to be beyond saving.

“Well, I'm sure you're all very bored hearing me drone on about the good old days.” Heaven Canceller said with a slight laugh. “What say we get started?” he announced.

From that point on, it became pretty much like any other visit to the doctor Shirou had endured. The doctor listened to her heart and lungs, had her say 'ah,' and tested her reflexes. It was when this process had concluded that things diverged slightly.

“What's the needle for?!” Shirou demanded.

“I'm just collecting some blood samples so we can run a lab panel. It's nothing to be concerned about.” the doctor replied soothingly.

“If you're aware of magic, then you understand why we might be wary of providing such samples.” Sella replied sternly. The doctor groaned.

“If you have any knowledge of modern medicine, then you understand why it's a severe handicap to work without them.” he replied in much the same way. “I mean, how am I even supposed to know her blood type in case we need to perform a transfusion at some point?” he asked in frustration, then paused as a thought occurred. “Oh wait, that's a bad example. All Justeaze models have AB positive blood.” he noted to himself. “Still, you get my point! We really do need to do the blood test.” he wheedled.

“Actually...Shirou-sama is most likely Rh negative.” Sella admitted uncomfortably. The doctor lifted an eyebrow. “The circumstances of her...'birth' were...atypical.”

“Atypical in what way?” the doctor demanded.

“Natural birth. Her father was an Association magus.” Sella informed in. The doctor closed his eyes and blew out a long breath.

“Alright then. If I can't even trust my knowledge of what's normal for a homunculus then I'm afraid I must insist. If you want me to treat you, then you must submit yourself fully to my care.” he delivered his ultimatum. Sella shook her head.

“I am not sure that we—” she began.

“It's fine.” Shirou declared, exposing her arm. “He can have the sample.” she said firmly.

“Senpai...” Sakura said worriedly.

“Shirou-sama, I don't agree with this course of action.” Sella said.

“Sella, it's fine.” Shirou assured her, shaking her head. “He's absolutely right. You're right too, but I think he can be trusted.”

“With your blood, he could potentially—” Sella started.

“Potentially yes...but he won't.” Shirou said, meeting Heaven Canceller's eyes directly. The old man smiled, secretly incredibly flattered by the display of faith.

“...You are sure?” Sella asked one last time.

“I am.” Shirou replied, favoring her with a smile. Sella sighed.

“Very well. I will concede this issue. However”—she added, glaring at the doctor—“you will be the only person to handle these, and if you abuse my charge's trust in you then you shall regret it. Do I make myself plain?” the elder homunculus asked, red eyes boring a hole through the doctor's own.

“I swear, I swear!” he declared immediately. “I'll run all the tests myself and destroy them right after.” he offered. The intensity of the woman's glare lessened slightly.

“Very well. Proceed.” she invited stiffly. Deciding not to risk her changing her mind again, Heaven Canceller quickly swabbed his patient's wrist and collected his samples.

“Thank you very much for your trust.” he added. “I promise this is for the best.” he said as he filled the last vial and placed a frog-themed bandage on Shirou's arm. “Now, all that's left is to schedule your first resonance scan. What time would be good for you folks?” he asked.

A few minutes of scheduling later, the doctor had shown them to the door.

“By the way, if either of you two want a checkup as well all you have to do is ask.” he offered the other two ladies. “I imagine you in particular might benefit.” he mentioned to Sella.

“We will see.” the maid replied shortly.

“Wouldn't that be very expensive?” Sakura inquired.

“Oh. Well there might have normally been some expense, but Aleister is paying this one's medical bills,” he said, indicating Shirou, “and I figured I'd just add you two to the tab as well.”

“...Are you allowed to do that?” she asked, slightly shocked. Heaven Canceller snorted.

“He's my friend, not my master. If he wants to drag me into one of his schemes like this I figure hitting him in his wallet a little is perfectly justified.” he replied wryly. Shirou's smile widened. “Well, it's been a pleasure ladies. Let me know if you want those checkups.” the doctor concluded.

'It actually has been.' Shirou mused in surprise. Apparently even Crowley had a goodhearted friend. Who knew?

“Oh! Almost forgot!” the doctor declared, rummaging around in his coat and pulling out a lollipop with that same frog character on the wrapper. “For being such a good patient.” he declared, presenting Shirou with the candy who accepted it numbly as the doctor ruffled her hair and marched back down the hall. She turned to look at Sella and Sakura who were suddenly very interested in the walls and making suspicious wheezing sounds.

'I take it back. I hate him.'
    Shirou fumed as she pocketed the stupid candy and marched irritably back to the stairs.

____________________​

At the Tsuchimikado residence...​

Tsuchimikado Maika was concerned about her brother. He'd gone out to help some transfer students that were new to the area a couple of days before. He was so nice like that, going out of his way to help people when he didn't have to. After he'd returned though, he'd sequestered himself in his “study room” and hadn't come out for supper. Then she'd had to bring him his next two meals there as well, he was so absorbed in his work. She'd finally managed to lure him out by preparing a meal just like they taught her in maid school, fixing everything just the way he liked it. He'd smiled and thanked her as sincerely as always...then went right back into his room.

“Did he leave some project to the last minute or something?” she wondered to herself.

“A @#$*ing Heroic Spirit?! What the $%^@?!” her brother's voice exclaimed loudly. Her cheeks puffed up. It was one thing to get frustrated with a difficult assignment, but another entirely to use such language in her house. Rolling up her sleeves, she marched down the hallway to give him a piece of her mind.

____________________​

Later that night...​

'Finally.' she thought, running her fingers along the material of the covering fondly. 'It's only been two days, but that's already far too long...' she mused before dragging the material away and exposing the vehicle underneath and resting her hand upon the seat.

“Why they didn't use you during the War is beyond me...” she murmured softly so as not to wake the others as she admired the powerful machine. It may not have been a pegasus, but it had carried not one, but two Heroic Spirits to great victories now. If that didn't make it worthy of being called a Noble Phantasm, then she didn't know what would. She'd taken to riding this charger at nights when the rest of her family was asleep. Since she herself had no need of sleep, and in fact preferred to avoid it entirely, it was an arrangement that worked well. She'd never been asked any questions about where she got the money for fuel and maintenance, and she preferred it that way.

She fidgeted with the keys longingly, but ultimately decided against it. Sella had erected some bounded fields almost immediately after they arrived, but she was still not completely convinced of their new home's safety. No, for now she would stand guard every night until she was certain of Sakura's safety in this new environment. After that? She smiled sensuously as she replaced the covering.

“Soon.” Rider promised, leaving the Yamaha V-Max in the garage as she turned off the lights and reentered the interior of their new home.

JP Friend Code
    I thought I did this on Wednesday but apparently my memory is nearly as shit as my vision. Which my massive glasses will prove is pretty damn bad. Anyway enjoy chapter 8 and leave some feedback about anything that grabbed your attention, pissed you off, or made you laugh.

Chapter 8​

Shirou grunted with annoyance as she pored over her study guide in the hospital waiting room. If this thing was any indication, these placement exams were going to be absolutely ridiculous.

'In what universe is this stuff high school level material?!' she fumed to herself, before freezing at the next question.

“What on Earth is a complex conjugate vector space?” she asked helplessly. They definitely hadn't taught that at Homurahara Academy.

“Every complex number has a conjugate, senpai.” Sakura said, not looking up from her study guide. “The real and imaginary parts are the same value but the imaginary component is negated. This is the same principle but applied to an entire matrix of values. Any complex scalar multiplied to one should produce the same result that its conjugate does when multiplied to the other.” she concluded as Shirou's lower jaw steadily descended.

“I...see. Sakura...did you learn that at our school?” Shirou asked in a slightly strangled tone. The elder girl blinked and shook her head.

“Um...no. That was...I guess you'd call it 'extracurricular study.'” she replied uncomfortably.

“Oh.” Shirou summed up, instantly feeling guilty. “Sorry.” she offered. Sakura shook her head.

“No, it's alright! I'm happy that it's turning out to be useful for something other than...that.” she insisted.

“Thanks, Sakura.” Shirou replied with a slight smile. “Now...what did you get for number forty-seven?” she asked eagerly.

“Senpai, you're not going to learn it if you just copy off of me.” Sakura chided with a slight smirk. Rider chuckled nearby at Shirou's answering pout. Sakura's resistance faltered as maximum intensity cuteness was leveled in her direction. “A...alright, maybe if I help you work through just one...

“Welcome back Shirou-san.” Heaven Canceller greeted his patient with a smile, having walked out to meet them in the waiting room.

“Hello Amachi-sensei.” Shirou replied politely. He smiled but waved aside the courtesy.

“I think I owe you an apology actually.” he said.

“How so?” Shirou asked curiously.

“The lollipop.” he clarified and grinned as her expression soured. “After running those tests I think I know why you seemed so put out. In my defense, your completely real, absolutely-not-an-Einzbern-funded-forgery of a legal ID claims you're as young as you look and you didn't correct me...so really it's your own fault.” he chided as Shirou huffed in response.

“So how did the test results look?” Sakura asked nervously. The doctor's face took on a strange expression.

“I have my suspicions, but I'd really rather perform the scan first to confirm them. Ready to get this thing done?” he asked, suddenly all business.

“As ready as I'll ever be, sensei.” Shirou replied glumly. The doctor arched an eyebrow.

“Why so unenthusiastic?” he asked curiously.

“She read up on the procedure after Crowley-san made his proposal.” Sakura replied apologetically as Rider hovered behind her. Sella had stayed behind this time to continue unpacking and rendering their new home “acceptable for habitation.”

“I'm just not looking forward to sitting in some metal tube for the better part of an hour.” Shirou added. The doctor smiled.

“Well then, you'll be happy to know our lab equipment has improved a bit. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.” he replied knowingly.

____________________​

“Scan complete.” a digitized female voice declared.

“What, seriously?” Shirou asked incredulously. She'd only been in this bizarre metal walk-in closet for a few minutes.

“Seriously.” the doctor's voice greeted her as he opened the door and motioned her out. “I told you we've advanced a lot.” he reminded her.

“No kidding.” Shirou agreed. “Why hasn't the rest of the world upgraded yet?”

“Oh they will sooner or later. The pace of progress here is just a bit faster. Plus the Board regulates the patents on all inventions produced within the city's walls. The innocuous ones are made public at a rate just slightly beyond the norm. Something about statistical models of progress or something like that, I wasn't really paying attention.” he admitted.

“You get invited to stuff like that?” Shirou asked in surprise. Heaven Canceller shrugged.

“What can I say? I am the best.” he declared. There was nothing boastful in his tone. It was a simple statement of fact. Shirou mulled that over as she shucked the hospital gown they'd given her and dressed herself behind a privacy barrier. On their way out they passed by another doctor and her patient who were the next scheduled to use the scanner.

____________________​

A short while later...

They'd been returned to the same examination room they familiarized themselves with on their last trip while the doctor examined the results of the scan and “confirmed his suspicions.” There they waited a few minutes until the doctor returned.

“That didn't take long.” Shirou noted.

“Like I said, I pretty much already expected everything I saw, though there were a few new interesting developments.” he explained, then took on a fairly grim expression. “Not to be cliché, but I have good news and bad news. The good news is, and I cannot stress this enough going forward, there is nothing wrong with you that I cannot fix. So even though this is going to sound bad, try not to get too upset.” he said.

“Why? W-what did you find?” Sakura asked fearfully. He sighed as he met Shirou's eyes.

“Left as you are right now, you have a few years to live. Five at the outside. Substantially less if you continue practicing magecraft.” he declared. At Sakura's horrified expression, Shirou's heart felt as though it had dropped into her stomach.

“But you can fix it right? Right?!” Sakura demanded almost frantically, relaxing only slightly as Rider gripped her shoulder.

“I can. However, that's the second piece of bad news. Considering how you all felt about providing a blood sample I can only imagine how you'll feel about this...” he said.

“Feel about what?” Shirou demanded. He looked at her apologetically.

“I've gotta get you under the knife, kid. Just confirmed it with those scans. I'm sorry, but that bastard you folks call a family head has played merry hell with your insides. Particularly the nervous system. There are nerve groups that aren't where they're supposed to be, leading all over the place. Extra nerves in some cases. I'm not even a hundred percent on where those came from. It's not uncommon to optimize a homunculus for maximum prana production, but this is really taking it too far. Some of this stuff is causing way more harm than good. It's like he didn't care how long you lived as long as it was long enough.” he explained as Shirou began to feel numb. Sakura was covering her mouth with her hand as tears rolled down her cheeks and Rider was feeling slightly more hostile than usual.

“Now, I have to stress that you're not going to die tomorrow or anything like that. You have time to think about all this before making any big decisions. There's a bit more, but right now I want to stop and answer any questions you guys have.” he said, spreading his arms in invitation.

“If you fix me...will I still be able to use magecraft?” Shirou asked. Sakura's wide-eyed stare snapped toward her and she could feel Rider's glare boring into her. She looked at them apologetically, but if she couldn't protect her family then she wanted no part of this.

That's your first question?” Heaven Canceller asked disapprovingly before sighing. “You should be able to, yes. It'll have an impact, but half these changes aren't doing very much for you in relative terms and seem like they're mostly there just to hurt you. Either that or there were several ways of going about it and the most harmful choice was picked. I'll undo things like that. So there will likely be a dip in your overall capacity, but not very noticeable on the whole. I can preserve most of your ability while still preserving your life.” he said.

“Surgery is...dangerous right?” Sakura asked.

“There's always some degree of risk.” the doctor allowed. “Seeing as it's me though, there's no chance she'll die on my table.” he replied bluntly. Sakura relaxed at that.

“So if this works, what kind of lifespan are we looking at?” Shirou asked. The doctor shrugged.

“Well you're a homunculus, so more or less indefinite barring fatal damage. After several centuries your soul might give out, but until then you'd be pretty much set.” he replied.

'Centuries?!' Shirou thought weakly, glancing at Sakura again. She seemed to be crying in relief now. She couldn't imagine life without her. Didn't want to imagine it. But then, there was no rule that she had to outlive Sakura by that much was there?

“You...used to practice magecraft, did you not?” Rider chimed in uncharacteristically. “Does that mean you possess a magic crest?” she inquired.

“You want me to apply a geis to myself.” the doctor surmised. Rider nodded and he sighed. “I'm afraid I can't.”

“What? Why wouldn't you want to? If you really have our best interests at heart, then it shouldn't be an issue should it?” Sakura asked suspiciously.

“No, I mean I literally can't.” he replied, shaking his head. “I am physically incapable of performing magecraft of any kind anymore.”

“How would something like that happen?” Shirou asked incredulously.

“I'd prefer not to talk about it.” the doctor replied flatly. “I can't create a geis contract. You either trust me with this or you don't. That's all there is to it.”

“Any other questions?” the doctor asked. At their silence, he stopped leaning on the counter and began opening some drawers. “Alright then, we've just got one more thing to discuss.” he said.

“I'm not sure I have one more of these discussions in me.” Shirou admitted, thoroughly drained from the heavy atmosphere. The doctor chuckled.

“Ah relax. This one is much happier.” he replied, before pulling out a plastic device and a cardboard box lined with smaller plastic items.

“So from the analysis we ran on those blood samples, which I have destroyed by the way, I pretty much had it figured out that you've got some...well, let's call them genetic abnormalities. Birth defects, if you will. It's kind of to be expected given a natural birth to a homunculus mother.” he continued.

“How is that happy?” Shirou asked flatly. The doctor blinked.

“That's not the happy part.” he said blankly. “Basically you're suffering from growth hormone deficiency. In fact, a lot of your endocrine system is less active than what I'd like to see. That's where this little gizmo comes in!” he announced, presenting the cylindrical plastic device. “This is an electronic injector. These little things are cartridges that you can load into it. If you inject one of these a day you'll start seeing some pretty nice quality of life improvements almost immediately!”

“You mean I can actually grow up?! I don't have to be a chibi for the rest of my life?!” Shirou asked delightedly.

“Well...sure! I mean, not the rest of your life but certainly still for the foreseeable future.” Heaven Canceller replied in a cautionary tone. Shirou blinked.

“I thought you said I'd see results immediately.” she said flatly, not at all amused.

“Immediate results, yes. Meaning you'll start growing at a more or less normal rate. You might get a small growth spurt to begin with if you're lucky but it'll even out pretty soon. You still have to actually put in the time, you know?” he clarified. Shirou sighed, then brightened.

“Well regardless, that's a lot better than nothing!” she declared cheerfully as she and Sakura embraced briefly.

“That's the spirit!” the doctor encouraged. “Now I'll also warn you that you'll develop a mild dependency to these after a while. Missing a dose will make you feel sick and set back your progress, but it won't kill you. Either way you should try to avoid it.”

“What will happen if I miss a dose?” Shirou asked hesitantly.

“You won't forget it more than once.” the doctor promised grimly. “After your body adjusts to new baseline hormone levels missing it will make you lethargic and tired. That's about it though. No horrific pain or anything like that, and you'll still be mostly functional.”

“I see. I won't forget.” Shirou promised. Sakura nodded, having every intention of making certain of it.

“Last thing. This stuff is really expensive. I mean absurdly so. So expensive that it gave me no small amount of satisfaction to charge Aleister for it. Each one of these cartridges usually costs around one million yen, but since I got these on short notice it was closer to three.” he said as the two younger humans in the room nearly swallowed their tongues. “The reason it's that expensive is because it's difficult to make and there simply isn't enough demand for wide-scale mass production. As a result, many patients who could benefit quite a lot from this medicine do not have access to it. Aleister may be footing the bill, but I will be very displeased if this is wasted.” he said firmly.

“We'll take good care of it.” Sakura promised. Shirou and Rider both nodded. Heaven Canceller nodded in satisfaction.

“Good. Oh, don't worry about the injector though. Those things are really cheap so break it all you want!” he exclaimed, laughing at the uncertain expression on his patient's face. “Now come here and let me show you how this works...”

____________________​

After packaging up her new medicine Shirou walked back to the entrance with her family and her doctor.

“We really can't thank you enough for all of this.” Sakura said, the look on her face leaving no doubt she was being completely sincere. Heaven Canceller waved it aside.

“It was my pleasure. You folks call me back as soon as you can on this surgery. The sooner the better. I don't want to leave it any later than we have to.” he said soberly. Upon seeing them clam up slightly, he met Shirou's eyes again, and for a moment Shirou would have sworn she saw something familiar in the old man's gaze. “I know you all have your reasons for not trusting easily, but I swear to you on everything I believe in: If you can find it in you to trust me with this, I will save you.”

JP Friend Code
    In which Shirou becomes a vigilante.

Chapter 9​

Shirou sighed despondently as she closed the door behind her and took a seat on the porch. Sakura and Sella were still arguing over her doctor's trustworthiness. Sakura seemed to think it was best to proceed as soon as possible while Sella was against putting her life in the hands of someone they knew so little about. Shirou wasn't exactly sure what she thought. She knew that the her of a few months ago would have been completely willing to give the old man the benefit of the doubt, so why was it so difficult to do so now?

“Hah...how much things have changed. I'm not sure it's for the better.” she observed, enjoying the evening air. Summer was well on its way and the heat could be oppressive at midday, but at the moment it was merely pleasant. She got cold more easily than she used to. As she sat and enjoyed the ambient sounds of nearby life, she felt a familiar sensation. It was a tingling feeling; that sort of sixth sense that she was being watched. She rolled her eyes. There was only one person who liked to stalk her unseen on a regular basis.

“You might as well come sit down.” she invited. A brief distortion in the air was followed by a large quantity of purple motes of light that coalesced into Rider. The Heroic Spirit calmly approached and sat down next to her. “You shouldn't be doing that where people could see you.” Shirou noted, tilting her head toward the neighbors' houses.

“They'll assume it's an esper power. Well, that or they'll wind up hypnotized.” Rider responded dismissively, causing a vein on Shirou's forehead to protrude slightly.

“I keep telling you guys that hypnosis isn't something that should be taken so lightly! How would you like it if someone just reached into your head and suppressed your memories?!” she ranted, only stopping when Rider began laughing lightly at her indignant response.

“Too easy.” the Servant replied fondly, ruffing her hair. Shirou growled and swatted the offending appendage away.

“You realize that, in spite of what it looks like, I'm not actually a child right?” she asked rhetorically.

“I do.” Rider acknowledged seriously. Shirou paused at that for a few moments.

“...Thanks. Sometimes I think the others forget.” she said. Rider hummed at that.

“I don't think so. They're just worried.” she replied.

“You aren't?” Shirou asked.

“I am.” Rider refuted. “I'm just more experienced at dealing with things that worry me.”

“Right...and how many of those things are still alive?” Shirou asked wryly. Rider smirked.

“Not too many, but more than you'd think.” she replied, meeting Shirou's eyes meaningfully. The small girl blushed and averted her gaze. It was always weird on those rare occasions that Rider decided to open up a bit.

“What do you think I should do?” Shirou asked curiously. Rider almost never weighed in on major decisions like this. It seemed like she was always, well, along for the ride.

“Well, it seems like the real question is whether you can trust this man.” Rider noted. Shirou nodded. “I've never been the most trusting person...with good reason. That said...I trust your judgment. At least when it comes to things like this.” Rider admitted, causing Shirou to gape at her.

“Don't look so surprised!” the Servant chided. “For all that you try to see the best in everyone, you're actually not a terrible judge of character. Like you said, you're an adult underneath that childlike body. Sakura and Sella have their own opinions on the topic, but in the end it's your call. Isn't it?” she asked, passively staring down the smallest member of her family.

“Yeah...yeah! You're right, Rider! It's not like me to doubt myself like this!” Shirou replied passionately with a smile returning to her face.

“That's the spirit.” Rider encouraged, offering a comradely slap on the back that nearly toppled Shirou.

“I...guess I should go talk to them then.” Shirou declared, absently rubbing her back. She just knew that was going to leave a mark. As she stood up, she hesitated. Though she'd said that, she still wasn't exactly sure what she was going to say when she stepped inside.

“You know...we could use a few groceries. Sakura made this list earlier.” Rider noted blandly, extracting a note she held on her person as well the map of the district that Tsuchimikado had given them earlier.

“Huh. Alright, I guess we can go take care of that if you want.” Shirou offered. Rider shook her head.

“I think I'll stay here.” she replied, handing Shirou the list, the map, and some money. Shirou's eyebrows lifted as she realized what Rider was driving at.

“...You realize you're going to have to put up with them chewing you out the entire time I'm gone right?” she asked in a dry tone.

“Somehow, I will survive.” Rider replied with equal dryness.

____________________​

Shirou casually ambled down the aisles of the convenience store, humming to herself as she retrieved the items on Sakura's list. She made it to the soy sauce before being interrupted.

“Well, well Shiro-chan! Fancy meeting you out here this evening!” a friendly voice called out. She grit her teeth for a moment before forcing a smile and turning to face the annoying blond who naturally just happened to be visiting the same convenience store she was.

“Good evening Tsuchimikado-san.” Shirou replied politely. “What brings you out here?” she asked pointedly.

“Ah well, you know. Just picking up a few things for my little sister. She enjoys cooking for her elder brother you know?” he said, noting Shirou's small flinch at the affectionate reference to his sister. “How did your appointment go?” he asked mildly, making a show of examining the nutritional information on various brands. He should really be buying the low sodium variant he supposed, but it simply didn't taste the same.

“It isn't as though it's any of your business, but it went very well.” Shirou retorted mildly, retrieving the sauce and adding it to her basket. She resumed walking down the aisle and noted with annoyance that her blond shadow was accompanying her.

“I see, I see. Fixed you right up then did he?” Tsuchimikado asked brightly.

“You—!” Shirou began before biting her tongue and taking a breath. “While I appreciate your concern for my health Tsuchimikado-san, I would ask you to remember that we are not as close as you seem to be implying. I don't wish to discuss the particulars of my situation with you.” she replied as sternly as she could manage. The blond's eyebrows lifted behind his glasses.

“Ah! Sorry, sorry. I tend to get a little carried away with my curiosity sometimes.” he apologized, bowing slightly for emphasis while rubbing the back of his head. Shirou sighed.

“In all seriousness...” Shirou trailed off, glancing around her and lowering her voice. “Why is your employer so obsessed with keeping me healthy?” she asked. Tsuchimikado snorted.

“If I knew the answer to that question my situation in life would likely be very different.” the blond replied with a small edge of bitterness to his tone.

“Hey...” Shirou began uncertainly as Tsuchimikado paused at the atypical tone.

“Hm?” he questioned curiously.

“This Heaven Canceller guy. What's your read on him? Is he trustworthy?” she finally asked.

“Heh! You're actually willing to ask my opinion? As a general piece of advice, asking someone you don't trust about someone else's trustworthiness is a really bizarre way of doing things Shiro-chan.” he replied with a laugh as Shirou fumed.

“I'm asking everyone I know! I just don't know that many people around here!” she replied defensively.

“Well, whatever. Look, I'll be the first to admit that I don't trust easily. It kind of comes with the territory.” he stated as a disclaimer. Shirou nodded at that. “That said, if there's such a thing as a trustworthy stranger in this world, then that man is it. I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that I personally trust him, but again I'm kind of weird like that. If nothing else, you can trust the fact that the boss wants you alive and kicking for some reason. I don't know what that reason is, but the fact that he sent you to that man speaks volumes in itself. I don't think you have to much to worry about so far as treachery goes from that one.” Tsuchimikado concluded. Shirou's expression brightened slightly at that.

“Of course, even if that weren't the case I'd probably still be saying the same thing so...” he trailed off apologetically.

'Of course.' Shirou thought as she imitated Rin and ran her palm down her face in disgust. 'I'm not cut out for this kind of thing am I? I'm just going to have to go with my gut feeling. I feel pretty certain that doctor is what he claims to be. I think...I'm going to do it.'

“Well...you weren't really all that helpful, but thanks for trying I guess?” Shirou offered halfheartedly as they made their way to the cashier.

“Like I said, it's a bizarre way of doing things.” Tsuchimikado replied blandly.

____________________​

Shirou hummed to herself as she walked down the sidewalk with her bags, absently glancing at the map she was carrying. Tsuchimikado had followed her for a bit despite her best efforts, then suddenly excused himself a short way back. That guy was...irritating to be around for very long. She hoped this thing where he coincidentally appears while she was in the middle of something else didn't become a recurring theme, but somehow felt that might be asking too much.

She frowned and turned the map ninety degrees clockwise, then set off down a small alley that connected two larger streets. She didn't notice anything was amiss until she heard a series of malicious chuckles and slowly lowered her map. She fought the urge to sigh. A group of five stereotypical street toughs were looking at her and posturing in what was obviously meant to be an intimidating way.

“Well, well! Good evening, ojou-chan! Nice night for a walk, isn't it?” the largest, presumably the leader, asked as Shirou's face reddened with anger and she took a deep breath. It wasn't certain they deserved the fate they were courting after all.

“Can I...help you?” she asked through gritted teeth.

“I certainly hope so! You see, there's a slight problem. In order to pass through here, there's a...hmm...'conveyance' tax. Fortunately, it looks as though you probably have some money on you.” he replied self-importantly, nodding his head as though what he was asking was only reasonable. Shirou lowered her head slightly and her shoulders began shaking.

“Oy! Don't cry kid, just give us the money and you can go!” one of the others chimed in.

“To clarify,” Shirou asked in a shaking voice, “you guys are under the impression that it is acceptable behavior to harass what appears to be a ten-year-old girl in an alley at night and shake her down for her grocery money?!” she exclaimed, her volume and incredulity having gradually increased the entire time.

“Well, I'm not sure if I care for how you worded it exactly, but basically yeah.” the leader replied after a moment.

“Right.” Shirou declared firmly as she lifted her eyes to meet their own and calmly deposited her bags on the ground.

“Guh! Boss, I...I can't move!”

“Shit! Kid's an esper!”

“Trace on.” Shirou declared as a familiar shinai with a lucky tiger charm attached to the guard appeared in her right hand and she began slowly marching forward.

“I just wanted to make absolutely sure—”she began.

“Now wait a second, we can talk about this!” the leader exclaimed.

“—THAT WE WERE ALL ON THE SAME PAGE!” Shirou exclaimed, kicking off with reinforced legs and rocketing toward the leader, driving the Tora-shinai into his solar plexus so hard that he sailed through the air before impacting the ground in an unconscious heap before a series of flashes above him produced many matching knives that launched themselves into the ground, pinning him there by his clothing. The others' eyes widened at the sight.

“WE DIDN'T MEAN IT! WE SWEAR!”

“SHUT UP AND TAKE YOUR PUNISHMENT LIKE MEN! CHEST!”

“GAAAAAAAAH!”

____________________​

Tsuchimikado blew a long, descending whistle note as he watched the tiny homunculus beat a gang of street toughs black and blue. It had been sort of tricky to point her in this direction but he'd wanted to see her reaction...and what an interesting reaction it was.

He'd known that they'd pose no real threat to her of course. Even the weakest of magi should be able to handle something like that without too much difficulty. Still, she seemed to take to the task of punishing delinquents with an almost unholy zeal. He winced in sympathy as one of the punks took a particularly nasty shot. Once all of them were potentially concussed and pinned to the walls and/or ground, the Emiya girl casually retrieved her bags and started puzzling out her map again, seemingly completely untroubled by what had occurred. If anything, he'd say it had improved her mood considerably.

In any case, the results of his little experiment were both interesting and inconclusive. No Einzbern alchemy was on display, but naturally that didn't mean she couldn't use it. Simply that she hadn't. She'd instead used what appeared to be projections in battle, which was something he'd never heard of before. Was it just a one-off, or did she normally approach things this way?

Ah well, either way he'd best do something about this mess, or better yet have someone else do it for him. It might make the littlest Emiya's life more interesting in time, but she was already doing that to him with her mere existence so his sympathy was extremely limited. Retrieving his phone he rapidly dialed a number that any dutiful student ought to have memorized. The Anti-Skill incident hotline.

“Hello? Yes, I'd like to report a disturbance.”

Blog Entries
    Typical, typical, typical Tsuchimikado... you don't let sleeping dragons sleep, do you?

That said, I like this!
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's certainly not great, but I like it enough to wonder where the author intends to go with this. So I want to read more.

JP Friend Code
    Thank you both for feedback. Now I have something to give the author other than "Well it's being read, but I dunno what they think". Anyway with this chapter up and running we've reached a point where we're at the same place as Spacebattles so from here on out I'll put up a new chapter whenever the author puts it up. Now enough of my waffling.

Chapter 10​

“So what's the story on those knives?” Shirai Kuroko demanded brusquely as she marched into the forensics lab. The lab tech on duty sighed.

“Shirai-san, you do realize that being the first responder doesn't necessarily mean that you have to pursue all of those cases personally, right?” she asked with a put upon expression. Kuroko flipped her hair impatiently.

“Of course it does. Particularly in this case, since I don't approve of having a vigilante copycat mimicking me.” she replied dismissively. The lab tech's eye twitched.

“Right, because heaven forbid we should allow any vigilantism in our district...” she muttered mutinously.

“What was that?” Kuroko asked suspiciously. The lab tech coughed.

“Nothing.” she replied with a shifty expression. “Anyway, those knives you guys brought in are kind of weird.” she said, walking over to a nearby computer and pulling up a few steel gray images with lighter crisscrossing marks on the monitor. The patterns on all of the images were the same. “They're the same knife.” the technician stated meaningfully. Kuroko's eyebrow lifted in a distinctly unimpressed fashion.

“Well I could have told you that. They all look exactly the same. They were clearly purchased as part of a set or something.” she declared. The tech simply smiled knowingly and shook her head.

“No Shirai-san. You're not understanding me. They are, all of them, the same knife.” she said, indicating the images on screen. “Each one of these is an extremely highly magnified image of the same area on each knife. Notice the patterns in the scratches in the steel.” she instructed.

“They're exactly the same...” Kuroko observed. The lab tech nodded. “Couldn't they have just been made to look identical though?”

“No. Knives in a set are made to look identical, but nobody bothers worrying about it at a level of detail this fine. Even automated machining tools couldn't achieve this. They simply aren't designed to be that precise.” the tech explained.

“That suggests our mystery esper made them herself somehow.” Kuroko noted. The tech nodded.

“Yep! Now watch this.” she instructed as she took one of the knives and brought a hammer down hard on the edge and broke the blade into multiple metallic shards.

“Hey! Stop destroying...evidence...” Kuroko trailed off as the entire knife including the grip evaporated into motes of light. “Whaaaaaa...?!” she exclaimed. The lab tech's grin widened.

“Weird, huh? It happened the first time when I was testing one of them for enhanced durability and broke it by mistake. My working theory is that, instead of this esper being another teleporter like you who had the weapons on her person the way we originally suspected, she can instead create duplicates of existing physical objects made out of...whatever this stuff actually is. It looks and feels just like metal but at the same time it's obviously not. Based on the way it seems to evaporate into light it may not even properly be matter at all! I have no clue how that works, but it is damnably cool!” the tech gushed happily.

“R-right...” Kuroko replied hesitantly as the scientific type rambled on becoming more and more enthusiastic.

'That's not exactly a common ability, and even those few espers who can create objects generally have some kind of tell. All their creations being a certain color or made of a specific material or something like that. I've never heard of anyone creating completely flawless copies like that, but it does fit the evidence and the accounts of those thugs. I guess I've learned what I came for...now how do I get out of this room without coming across as rude?' Kuroko wondered, nodding her head absently as she began to seriously consider simply teleporting herself somewhere else with no explanation at all. 'Maybe Uiharu can finally find this girl now that we know what her ability is.'

____________________​

Shirou wearily slumped into a plastic chair next to an equally fatigued Sakura having just completed her so-called “placement exam.” Whatever else one could say about Academy City's true purpose, its standards as an educational facility were well beyond question.

“That was...” Shirou trailed off, searching for the right word.

“Intense.” Sakura summed up with a thousand yard stare. Advanced mathematics, geography, psychology, physics, chemistry. The test had run the gamut in a two and a half hour long academic marathon. At multiple points, they'd each been forced to just shrug and move on. Though they'd been told that scoring highly in any given section wasn't necessarily a priority, as the exam was mostly meant to establish a baseline for each of them, but it was still discouraging.

“I'm sure you both did very well.” Sella assured her charges.

“Do you have anything to base that claim on, or are you just blowing smoke?” Shirou challenged. The maid averted her eyes and blushed slightly. Despite herself, the corners of Shirou's lips quirked upwards. “Well thank you anyway...for your baseless, blind faith.” she needled.

“Um...Emiya-san? Matou-san? We're ready to assess your abilities now.” a young man in a white lab coat said with a slightly nervous grin. No doubt he realized how atypical the situation was, what with all the non-disclosure agreements and such.

____________________​

Soon...​

“So you can gain an intuitive understanding of any object you touch?”

“How in the hell do you physically touch things with shadows?”

How many swords?!”

“The projection of an nth dimensional imaginary space onto the three-dimensional plane?!”

“They can be launched how fast?!”

“ENERGY ABSORPTION?!”

____________________​

“Okay. Our preliminary results are complete.” the lead researcher stated with a smile as he presented these two research goldmines with their identification cards. Both were to be ranked as Level 4 espers.

Of the two Matou was easily the more impressive, but the rankings were the rankings and he was strictly forbidden from giving either a Level 5 rating. Not that he was too tempted. Theoretically, between her constructs, which could be manifested at quite a substantial range from her current position, and the energy absorption property they possessed, Matou could engage a military force and come out on top purely by leeching the various forms of energy from their bodies and leaving them as cold, lifeless husks. Practically speaking such an outcome would require that none of the opposing forces discovered her position while she did so. Victory in a pitched battle scenario was not likely given what she'd demonstrated thus far. Still, it was easily enough to warrant Level 4. The girl could be a terror if she were so inclined. Thankfully, she seemed to shy away from the idea of conflict entirely. Actually, she came across as somewhat frightened of the prospect for some reason, but he had no clue why that would be.

The smaller girl was less terrifying in the possibilities she represented, mostly because she found it impossible to replicate advanced technology and couldn't seem to accelerate her blades to the point that they'd inflict Railgun levels of collateral. If that ever changed, she would quickly join her friend in the ranks of espers whose memory cost him sleep every now and then. A hail of blades was intimidating for certain, but despite being a crack shot (seriously, she'd never missed a single target), maintaining that kind of output seemed to cause her severe discomfort. She seemed to prefer producing one or two blades for her own use, then strengthen herself and her weapons while engaging at close range. He made a note that she could also pose a potential security risk due to the Psychometric aspect of her ability. That is, observing the “history” of physical objects. She wasn't the first esper to be capable of gleaning information from objects, but she was unique in the scale of the effect. If she found something she shouldn't and used that ability to its full potential then there was no telling what sorts of things she might stumble onto. Now he just needed to commit the new records in the Bank with a properly unverifiable history and they'd be all set.

“Hey, wait a minute!” the younger girl's voice interrupted his thoughts. He looked up from his terminal curiously.

“Yes, Emiya-san? Is something wrong?” he asked patiently.

“I certainly hope so! This thing says I'm a middle school student!” she replied indignantly, glaring at him with those imposing red eyes of hers. A small bead of sweat rolled down his forehead.

'Oh. Oh dear...' he thought to himself. This needed to be handled...delicately.

Blog Entries
    So... what exactly is the reason for Shirou being put in as a Middle School student? Was it ever stated?

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

JP Friend Code
    I don't know, Aura might have talked about it in the thread but I don't remember if he did. If not it should come up next chapter, this is the most current one so I don't know anything more than what's down.

I'm assuming it was because of Illya's physical age though.

Blog Entries
    Okay, fair enough, then.

Well, i enjoyed it.

As for Shirou/Illya being placed in middle school. Well it probably has to do with the fact that Mikoto and such being in middle school.

Huh, seems that they know only the basics of what they can do or he would have wanted to rank them at lvl.5 (even if he wasn't allowed).

Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    So... what exactly is the reason for Shirou being put in as a Middle School student? Was it ever stated?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaHaL View Post
    I don't know, Aura might have talked about it in the thread but I don't remember if he did. If not it should come up next chapter, this is the most current one so I don't know anything more than what's down.

I'm assuming it was because of Illya's physical age though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Otsutsuki Kaguya View Post
    Well, i enjoyed it.

As for Shirou/Illya being placed in middle school. Well it probably has to do with the fact that Mikoto and such being in middle school.

Huh, seems that they know only the basics of what they can do or he would have wanted to rank them at lvl.5 (even if he wasn't allowed).
    This is likely the reason as to why Shirou is being put into middle school.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaHaL View Post
    “The lollipop.” he clarified and grinned as her expression soured. “After running those tests I think I know why you seemed so put out. In my defense, your completely real, absolutely-not-an-Einzbern-funded-forgery of a legal ID claims you're as young as you look and you didn't correct me...so really it's your own fault.” he chided as Shirou huffed in response.

Blog Entries
    (/)_-) Okay, that explains it, then. Should've remembered that part.

JP Friend Code
    Yeah, me too. Obviously someone is paying more attention than me, I don't have any kind of award but I unsarcastically clapped a little bit.

I happen to be an expert on this topic Pata Hikari's Avatar
    Well it's entertaining thus far but holy crap the Spafebattles thread is awful.
    Fate/Stay Night: Life is an Endless Dream Chapter 12: Settling into place
    Tsukihime: Role Revert Part 10: Were you here the whole time?
    Fate + Tsuki: Slayer/Savior Part 1: Forge/Assassin
    Pata Hikari's Tsukihime Short stories: Lastest story: A Midnight Dreary

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Pata Hikari View Post
    Well it's entertaining thus far but holy crap the Spafebattles thread is awful.
    Yeah. That's a fairly common reaction to Spacebattles. Some threads are better than others but by and large I ignore anything that isn't an update or author approved omake.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Rush View Post
    It's certainly not great, but I like it enough to wonder where the author intends to go with this. So I want to read more.
    Same here. So far the author has shown a reasonable knowledge of both Nasuverse, ToAruverse and how to weave the two together without making one vastly superior to the other.
    inb4 touma >_>
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

I happen to be an expert on this topic Pata Hikari's Avatar
    I haven't actually seen TuAru but from memes from /a/ I gather he's a guy with the power to nullify anything supernatural that touches his right hand.

Which isn't that OP. Kind of like Shiki, mostly ordinarily guy that has an ability that makes it possible to punch above his weight class.
    Fate/Stay Night: Life is an Endless Dream Chapter 12: Settling into place
    Tsukihime: Role Revert Part 10: Were you here the whole time?
    Fate + Tsuki: Slayer/Savior Part 1: Forge/Assassin
    Pata Hikari's Tsukihime Short stories: Lastest story: A Midnight Dreary

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Hit the nail on the head. His right arm 'shatters' anything of supernatural origin that comes into contact with it. As long as his right arm is held out in front of him, he could survive Enuma Elish. From the front.

that said, ToAru has the best Tsundere character I've ever seen with the possible exception of Rin.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

JP Friend Code
    As far as I know the problem with Touma isn't his power. I mean sure people bitch about it now and then, but I don't think that came up in this particular story. What they complain about is the guys character. He's incredibly bland and generic most of the time, and that's kind of his only defining thing amongst the rest of the cast who, even if they aren't likeable are distinctive. Along with that you have how some people complain he always seems shoehorned in even when he's completely irrelevant and you get a general distaste for the guy from what I see.
    Last edited by MaHaL; December 23rd, 2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: grammar/clarification

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    He's at his best around Misaka. Keeps him on his toes, forces him to actually be a person.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.