Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bungou Stray Dogs

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The more I watch it, the more I realize I absolutely love this show. There were tons of ridiculously cool moments and chances for Guild members to show off their abilities (have to say, I expected Steinbeck's to be something to do with grapes but the way it was done was really creative) in this episode. Even the interns got a chance to act a little badass by jumping on the back of a moving train.

I wonder, does that scene at the end mean Kyouka is a Guild member now or she just happened to stumble upon them?

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    I wonder, does that scene at the end mean Kyouka is a Guild member now or she just happened to stumble upon them?
    Judging by the fact that Fitzgerald showed slight surprise by her appearance, I'm guessing she just ran away from the Agency out of shame and then stumbled upon Atsushi getting his ass handed to him.

It's time for "Literary Adventures with Skull!"

The newest character revealed is Kyuusaku "Q" Yumeno (a pen name that roughly means "a person who always dreams") an author whose most famous work "Dogra Magra" is known as one of the "Four Most Bewildering Books in the History of Japanese Detective Novels" and for good reason, if Ranpo is a Japanese version of E.A Poe then Yumeno would be a Japanese H.P Lovecraft. There's a lot of Freudian psychology as well as other things to do with the mind like amnesia so I guess it was only natural that "Q" had the Ability of Mind Control which he uses in vile ways. I think that the final line of "Vinushka" sums up Q's existence, "Is it a sin for me to live because I am evil?"
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty cool

How strong is Fitzgerald, and lol at how literal Grapes of Wrath was for Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    That's pretty cool

How strong is Fitzgerald, and lol at how literal Grapes of Wrath was for Steinbeck
    Judging by how he's hyped up as the final boss of the Guild arc, I'm guessing pretty damn strong.

Blog Entries
    I kinda forgot about Steinbeck but the author of Bungou confessed to basing his character and background on the family that "Grapes of Wrath" is centred around. Steinbeck's relationship with Fitzgerald is especially assuming considering that many of Steinbeck's novels focus on the common man and how poverty affects them and this is reflected in the character. Fitzgerald (the character) on the other hand pretty much embodies greed and materialism. How ironic...

Pretty strong, his Ability is practically only good in combat situations. In the Guild I'd say he's only second to Lovecraft in terms of strength. But if you don't mind spoilers then...
    "The Great Fitzgerald" spoilers
    His Ability revolves around increasing his body's capabilities though consuming wealth, that's why he said Atsushi's kick was around $10,000 because he must have lost an object on his person that was worth that amount. Anything he touches can be consumed (doesn't have to be his personally) and it's monetary value is directly converted into strength, speed etc etc.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Okay, that's actually pretty neat.

Probably one of the more creative Gifts out there.

lol at Alcott being a moeblob and wondering if Montgomery is coming back.

Blog Entries
    Completely unrelated but after seeing the promotional trailer for the latest Bungou Light Novel, I'm really tempted to get it.

The main character is the homicide detective Yukito Ayatsuji and his Ability is "ANOTHER", that book was adapted into an anime series a few years back. Following him is his sidekick, Mizuki Tsujimura (Ability: Shadow Step of Induction). Together they try to solve a mysterious murder case which pits them against Yukito's old nemesis, Natsuhiko Kyougoku.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    ay, modern writers

That's some representation

Blog Entries
    ay, modern writers

That's some representation
    Kind of funny having writers who already had their works adapted to anime show up. Makes me wonder whether the imagery involved in his ability would borrow at all from the anime...

But yeah, That premise sounds pretty interesting. I've been on a bit of a Light Novel kick recently so I might try it out. Is there an English translation?

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Another? That show done by the guy who directed Mayoiga that had one chick die via umbrella after falling down some stairs?
    How long until Nasu or Urobuchi show up?
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    Another? That show done by the guy who directed Mayoiga that had one chick die via umbrella after falling down some stairs?
    How long until Nasu or Urobuchi show up?
    ...Yes, that series. *shudders* Actually the author's other works are pretty good. Yet somehow ANOTHER ended up being his most famous novel.

Would would Nasu and Urobuchi's Abilities even be?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Would would Nasu and Urobuchi's Abilities even be?
    Neverland Overdrive and Dead End Catharsis, clearly.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Urobuchi's could be Saya no Uta. It would make the victims have horryfying hallucinations that drive them insane, causing them to attack even their own companions. As the name says, it would be activated by a song and everyone who hears the song is a victim. Urobuchi himself would appear as a lovely young girl, thus preventing his deranged victims from attacking him. Thing is, the effect lasts as long as Uro keeps singing
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    Urobuchi's could be Saya no Uta. It would make the victims have horryfying hallucinations that drive them insane, causing them to attack even their own companions. As the name says, it would be activated by a song and everyone who hears the song is a victim. Urobuchi himself would appear as a lovely young girl, thus preventing his deranged victims from attacking him. Thing is, the effect lasts as long as Uro keeps singing
    That's really good! Would Nasu's let him bring historical/mythical figures to life?

Blog Entries
    Interesting, I went will some of my preferred works created by each author. Here's my ideas...

Gen Urobuchi (Ability: Phantom of Inferno) - A retired Port Mafia hitman and older gentleman. The Mafia sends any young recruits to him for training in the art of assassination. His ability allows him to put whoever makes eye contact with him under hypnotic suggestion. Very useful for infiltrating places but Suggestions will only last up to three minutes and if the victim learns any new info that disproves the lie then the spell will be broken.

Kinoko Nasu (Ability: Boundary of Emptiness) - A journalist who's obsessed with the occult and urban legends and goes to great lengths to research them for his newspaper. Though instead of the supernatural, all his investigations seem to lead to is Ability users causing trouble. His own Ability warps the fabric of "space" for various purposes. Harden the space around him for defence or crush the space surrounding an enemy's weapon to destroy it.

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention but my copies of the first and third Bungou Light Novels arrived today.

On the left is "Osamu Dazai's Entrance Exam" which parts of it were adapted into the fifth and sixth episodes of Season 1 which dealt with the "Azure King". On the right is "The Detective
    Agency's Secret Origins" which deals with Fukuzawa's first meeting with Ranpo and deciding to make a Detective Agency with him. It was referenced in the final episode of "The Dark Era" arc when Odasaku bumps into Ranpo and again when Dazai is asking for a new job and the Government minister talks about a new establishment of a Detective Agency.

Snazzy Books

Blog Entries
    Interesting, I went will some of my preferred works created by each author. Here's my ideas...

Gen Urobuchi (Ability: Phantom of Inferno) - A retired Port Mafia hitman and older gentleman. The Mafia sends any young recruits to him for training in the art of assassination. His ability allows him to put whoever makes eye contact with him under hypnotic suggestion. Very useful for infiltrating places but Suggestions will only last up to three minutes and if the victim learns any new info that disproves the lie then the spell will be broken.

Kinoko Nasu (Ability: Boundary of Emptiness) - A journalist who's obsessed with the occult and urban legends and goes to great lengths to research them for his newspaper. Though instead of the supernatural, all his investigations seem to lead to is Ability users causing trouble. His own Ability warps the fabric of "space" for various purposes. Harden the space around him for defence or crush the space surrounding an enemy's weapon to destroy it.
    You have such great ideas! Now I want to see a fanfic with this as the premise... (Nasu as an occult researcher in particular is scarily fitting)

Given that early Nasu in real life looked up to Urobuchi greatly, I wonder how that'd be tied in to their counterparts here. Maybe Uro could be an old friend of Nasu's that turned to the Mafia, with some kind of rivalry relationship between the two of them? Though I imagine Nasu would be a lot younger, to suit the 'hot-headed plucky journalist' archetype.

I put way too much thought into this...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    You have such great ideas! Now I want to see a fanfic with this as the premise... (Nasu as an occult researcher in particular is scarily fitting)

Given that early Nasu in real life looked up to Urobuchi greatly, I wonder how that'd be tied in to their counterparts here. Maybe Uro could be an old friend of Nasu's that turned to the Mafia, with some kind of rivalry relationship between the two of them? Though I imagine Nasu would be a lot younger, to suit the 'hot-headed plucky journalist' archetype.

I put way too much thought into this...
    Yeah, I tried to incorporating parts of each writer's work into the character similar to how Kafka does with Bungou. Urobuchi takes quite a bit from the leader of Inferno, especially in raising young kids to be assassins through brainwashing. While Nasu was based on how Rakkyo Shiki investigates weird phenomenon around the city, and his ability is basically a modded version of Fujinon's.

Don't worry I spent like an hour coming up with those two ideas, far more than was necessary. :P

Blog Entries
    While Nasu was based on how Rakkyo Shiki investigates weird phenomenon around the city, and his ability is basically a modded version of Fujinon's.
    I thought that was more based on how the real-life Nasu presumably did fairly extensive research into mythology and legends to ground Fate/Stay Night. So portraying him as an investigator whose hyper into the occult and various modern-day legends (including fringe ones like this historical figure is secretly a girl!!) makes sense in that respect.

Don't worry I spent like an hour coming up with those two ideas, far more than was necessary. :P
    Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Blog Entries
    Y'know, I was binge watching "The Dark Era" arc earlier and something I noticed was in the first episode Dazai walks towards a wounded Mimic soldier asking if he can grant him death as he has no reason to live, saying that he and the soldier should die together. At that moment, Odasaku reaches out to stop Dazai but his hand just falls short of grabbing him as he walks on.

Fastforward to the final episode of the arc, after the explosion at the restaurant, Dazai tells Odasaku that he shouldn't go to fight Gide because he'll just die. But Odasaku tells Dazai that it's all over and he no longer has a reason to live. Dazai reaches out to stop him but like before falls short of grabbing him as he walks towards his death. Odasaku then dies together with Gide.

It's little touches like that awesome parallel, that really make me love this anime.