Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Make-A-Magus Contest

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepMode View Post
    But isn't that just S&M
    Basically. My character can create pain just as easily as pleasure, she just prefers the latter. It also works by stimulating pressure points, Fist Of The North Star style.

Blog Entries
    Swear to God, Royd, if this is all setup for a tired "little death" joke...

please talk to me about your OCs Saron's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NMR-3 View Post
    His submission is going to turn the la petite mort into the la grande mort.
    My thirst for Antonio grows by the second.

Man...

I Make Servants, Some Of Which Are Tragedies

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NMR-3 View Post
    ...Wanna guess what her ultimate technique is named?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Asunder's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Araya would rock this .

Blog Entries
    Reposted since I first put it in the Servant thread by mistake...

Does anyone have any good genderbent fanart of Chrollo from Hunter x Hunter?

It'd be the perfect mix of formal/sexy/scary for how I imagine my character to look, but I can't find any fanart good enough to use as the FC. Any help?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Source: (X)
    Name: Enrica Hiri Crick
    Alias: "Koko"

Height/Weight: 5’4/103 lbs.
    Birthplace: Ireland

Personality:
    Forte/Likes: Music, animals
    Weaknesses/Dislikes: Loud noises
    Natural Talent: Making “music”
    Natural Enemy: Mark David Chapman ”That bastard killed a music god! How could I not hate him!”, Client 17

Magical Attributes:
    Origin: Recordation. Unknown to her, refuses to attempt to discover it ”No fun learning what I’m supposed to be in my life. I play on my own rules, and I ain't going to stick to a single word to justify my actions.”
    Elemental Alignment: Earth, Water

Magic Circuits:
    Circuits Quantity: 11
    Circuits Quality: C
    Circuit Composition: Double helix

Personality
    An audiophile magus who spends her time working as a geneticist purely out of fun, she possess a love for music that can’t be rivalled by anyone else, her tastes ranging from Richard Wagner to John Lennon to Taylor Swift to Santana, she loves any and all music. She is quick to love, long to hate, as she believes that every person has the ability to do good and redeem themselves no matter how dark they went. ”Except Hitler, or Stalin, hell if they’re the leader of a communist country and/or a dictator I’ll turn them into a blobfish for being massive shitheads.”

Ironically, she is heavily against heavy body modification. Tattoos and piercings are okay, but anything more and she's entirely against it, and don't even get her started on genetic enhancements and cybernetics. "Unless you're missing a damn arm you don't need to strap a damned toaster to it!"

She has somewhat of a superiority complex, as few first born magi can claim to have actually made themselves successful. Be it her strong personality, her bizarre killing technique, or some ridiculous plan from up above, by the Root she’ll make it to the top of the food chain no matter what!

Bio
    An orphan found on a doorstep in Ireland, she was raised by an old barmaid and her daughter. She was an interesting kid in her town, as she had very hyperactive hearing, to the point of being able to identify people with their heartbeats and footsteps, and her eidetic memory. She easily started with a passion in anything music, learning the piano and acoustic guitar at a young age.

Given her inborn talents, she could have easily become a musician or producer, possibly the best. But, she instead worked to become a geneticist, focused on proving the Theory of Natural Selection set by Darwin, as to her that seemed like a far more captivating career than just music. Still, she still remained heavily into music all the way through her college days and to her job at a small lab in Madagascar, studying the local population for possible mutations.

She discovered her circuits by accident when she was around 24. She had accidentally dropped a vial containing hard to find DNA samples of a reclusive type of insect native to the island, and had reinforced her muscles to grab the vial. The sudden abrupt opening of the circuits made her pass out in a two day coma in the lab over the weekend. Despite dehydration, nearly starving, and having soiled herself in her unconsciousness, she was intrigued by her weird ability. She all but abandoned her old job, and set out trying to find someone who may share her abilities.

By stumbling around for months, she managed to get in touch with an enforcer which led her to the Clock Tower. While there, she managed to learn more about her circuits, and combining her love of music and her knowledge of genetics to her unique breed of magecraft. She initially used a conventional music player, but her magecraft interfered with the electric bits too much. Through experimentation, she discovered that an old Walkman cassette player was just simple enough that her magecraft didn't mess with the electronics.

She was initially treated inferior due to her being only a first generation magus, but several magi still worked with her out of curiosity, leading them to discover just how unique her magecraft was and it's possible uses.

Originally she worked on improving clients with animal DNA, such as making someone’s vocal cords similar to the lyrebird's to increase their vocal range and accuracy, or giving someone aspects of the armadillo to create tougher skin

But after she had “Client 17”, she no longer saw her magecraft as a way to help others, but as a weapon that could destroy one's humanity itself. She refuses to speak of Client 17, as ”what they made me do to them, I could never willingly use this power to make someone more 'perfect'…”

Currently, she can either be found at her office a quarter mile down from Clock Tower working on finding the big break to prove that Darwin was 100% right, or at some random place on Earth turning someone into an animal at her client’s request.

Abilities
    Magecraft Related Abilities:

Rewire
    The Foundation Shall Fall

A bizarre ability, it allows her to rewire her target’s DNA, either adding brand new traits or replacing old ones with different ones. To use this magecraft, she must first collect her target's DNA and analyze it, identifying the exact genetic structure of her opponent. Then, she must create a “song” to confuse her target's DNA, a series of notes too low to be detected by the human ear that cause the bonds of DNA to dissimilate and rebuild to the shape she needs, which she plays through a heavily enchanted and reinforced Walkman. The song only works on the intended target, as every DNA is different and each song is specialized for a certain person's DNA. The effective range of her Walkman is only about twenty meters until the DNA isn't able to "hear" the music.

She can use the song to cause her target's dopamine to accelerate or deaccelerate, cause the cells in the target's heart loose the ability to pump blood, or at the highest levels of her song capabilities, cause them to change into a completely different species of animal.

"We're all pretty similar on the inside, so if I mess with a couple proteins here and there, maybe make one of them act a little differently, the results can be as varied as the amount of species on Earth."

To register these sounds for her own ears to pick them up, she has to heavily reinforce her editing station, microphones, and computer to ensure that she can make the song sound correctly, as if it's off in any way the spell won't work.

"It'll either end with an abomination against nature or a light cold if I screw up the process. Either way someone's going to need to get shitfaced to deal with it."

The process requires heavy planning, often taking weeks or months to create the correct song and then find the right area to play it, but the results can range from spectacular to horrifying. To do a minor change, such as altering the amounts of oils one secretes from their skin and ears, it takes at least a twenty minute long song. But full on altering someone’s DNA to the point they become a giant snail monster or lemur? Months, if not years based on the complexity of the animal. This is why her main goal in using her music is to drive her victim crazy and either have them give her client what they want or the target to kill themselves.

”If you want them to be a tuna or something, it’s going to be a lot longer than a slug.”

Apart from it's offensive capability, she's also used it to boost herself, such as a tortoises slow aging and strong skin and the regeneration of animals such as the Mexican salamander. She herself forgets how many animals she's changed her DNA to resemble, but the sheer amount has led to her having an extremely damaged uterus, to the point it would take years of her "songs" to let her easily have kids again. But, given her ability to slow down her aging process and regenerate dead cells, it's going to be a while before she has to worry about missing out on creating her heir.

Reinforcement: Is adept at reinforcing small and technologically simple objects, and can reinforce her arms to have a resistance and strength a quarter stronger than her normal strength. The prana cost is very high if she's not reinforcing her recording equipment, and can only manage a minor reinforcement for a couple minutes

Healing: Can heal minor cuts and scrapes, but broken bones are beyond her limitations.

Non-Magecraft Abilities:
    She has very sensitive hearing, to the point that extremely loud noises like a gunshot could blow out her eardrums, but at the same time she can "hear" through disguises from certain tells such as the force one uses on each individual foot.

By remembering a person's very certain reactions to certain situations, she can see through a lot of disguises as long as they haven't drenched themselves in concealment magecraft.

She knows just about everything about the human genetic code, which could make it so that if she worked with other magi she could create spells and potions that target humans at their genetic level.

Author Notes
    This was an interesting idea to make, as I had the idea for a magus with abilities like that of Weather Report, specifically Heavy Weather, from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6, but I wasn't sure what else I could add.

Q: But Saron, aren't you just ripping off Jojo for a nonprofit Magus contest in the bowels of the internet?

A:

I decided that making a magus with a long family history would be too drab, but an orphan and a first generation magus with crap circuits and only a single spell that has a lot of uses seemed like a more interesting idea to me. I blame the idea of her using a Walkman as I've watched a little too much Stranger Things and Guardians of the Galaxy lately in all of their 80s era glory.

A lot of magus sheets always have the Origin playing a big part and the character entire personality bring based off those magical 1-2 word(s). To make this one different, I decided to make the entire sheet, read it through, and then I added the Origin only afterwards. I find it more interesting to have someone be unaware they're essentially playing into Fate's hands and its grand plan. In Enrica's case, it's her "recording" everything with her eidetic memory and her recording music as her magecraft.

Her name is a triple reference, Enrica and Hiri are references to Jojo, Enrico Pucci and Hirihiko Araki, and Crick is from Francis Crick, co-discoverer of the DNA molecule. I figured if I was doing a character based off a concept from Jojo then I may as well do the Jojo style of naming, as in a shitload of references in every letter.

FC was originally this, but I changed it to Takemi from P5 as it was more "scientist" like.

Best of luck to us all and may the most imaginative murderer win!

Man...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Not only did I get sniped in the Servant contest twice but in the first days of the mage one?

The focus mine was on was failed alchemy being the basis of the magecraft but still.

Heavy Weather was a pretty underutilized ability in Part 6, but I think you've made Enrica's ability unique enough that you shouldn't have to worry. (Or maybe I'm just a sucker for music magic).
    Takemi fc is also a bonus.

Blog Entries
    Well. This was silly, but fun. A bit too far removed from the theme, perhaps?

Name: Lukas Adalbert
    Alias/Nickname/Title: Lifesaver, Master A
    Height/Weight: 185 cm / 78 kg
    Birthplace: Southend, England
    Appearance:

Personality

Forte/Likes: A strong cup of coffee, a lazy morning in bed
    Weaknesses/Dislikes: Tea, timed exams
    Natural Talents: Hosting, reading people
    Natural Enemy: Waver Velvet

Magical Attributes
    Origin: Caretaking
    Elemental Alignment: Earth, Water

Magic Circuits
    Circuit Quantity: E
    Circuit Quality: E
    Circuit Composition: Cylinder

Biography:
    A former student of the Mage's Association, Lukas Adalbert was a mere second generation magus who tried to establish his family's lineage by becoming the first in his family to actually attend classes at the Clock Tower. Like many would-be magi, he wasn't particularly qualified for it, and his time at the Clock Tower was an unmitigated disaster from the perspective of a student of magecraft. Prone to test anxiety and a slow student, he could not keep up with the pace of the lessons or the cutthroat environment that any upstart magus must be able to thrive in.

Unlike many, however, he found a calling all his own through an unexpected talent. When cramming for exams or a particularly grueling class, his fellow students quickly discovered that no one made a better pot of coffee than him, and an urban legend soon grew that anyone who shared his coffee - other than him - was virtually guaranteed to pass their next exam or ritual. Moreover, it was soon discovered that this was not just an urban legend, but an actual fact.

In his passion for coffee - and his desperation to advance in his studies - Lukas had begun experimenting with different recipes and concoctions, and even began to incorporate magecraft into the recipe, applying his dual affinity to create new blends and reinforcing existing ones to strengthen them far beyond their original potency. While it was unable to carry him through all of his lessons, he was able to last far longer than anyone expected purely through the drugging and enchantment of his personal brew.

When he was inevitably released by his professors and unable to reach a rank of his own, recognizing the reputation he had developed with his fellow students, he parlayed that esteem and some of the favors owed to him to establish a modest coffee shop near Oxford Street, the "Daily Ritual." Before long, the Daily Ritual became a thriving success, not just with the denizens of London, but with the Association itself, advertising itself as the place to acquire stimulants certain to provide the focus, concentration, and inspiration to make any ritual or ceremony a success. Even forbidden brews are sold for the right price, whether they are cursed, dated to the Age of the Gods, or even just poisonous to humanity. Whether your goal is to stay awake for a day or until the day you die, the Ritual can guarantee the result with the right drink.

An intimate, cozy shop, the Ritual has both a near side and a far side - on the near side, hand-picked staff tend to the needs of tourists and regulars alike, and it is rare that a table is left empty for long, save for those in the back section. A localized bounded field prevents most visitors from even recognizing the back row, much less choosing to sit there, and only sufficiently qualified magi are able to request seating in that smokey back area.

On the far side, the "real" menu of the Daily Ritual is provided, a menu that sheds lattes and nitro brew for sophisticated blends derived from the rarest of sources and prepared directly by Adalbert himself. The very beans that the Ethiopian shepherd Kaldi fed to his goats which inspired them to dance and Kaldi to discover caffeine; a gold roast derived from actual golden beans said to have been cursed by the touch of a Greek king; even the brew recommended by King Solomon and the angel Gabriel to cure plague. No matter how obscure the blend, Adalbert's specialty as a magus is the ability to find or recreate the perfect recipe.

As a businessman still associated with the Clock Tower, Adalbert's clientele include all levels of the association. The bulk of his regulars are, of course, the stressed and unranked students, but he is known to have Grands and Brands among those who sing his praises. Among students in particular, he is known as a savior and patron saint. If the so-called London Star is the man who teaches great magi, then Adalbert may be considered the one who gets them through their lessons and trials. As such, he is owed countless favors at every level of the association, and it is whispered that his store's blacklist could influence the entire internal power structure of the Clock Tower were he to favor certain groups over others.

Luckily, it is quite rare for him to actually ban a customer unless severely provoked. In the last twenty years, only five individuals have entered the list, the last being the aforementioned lord of the El-Melloi, who earned his ire by suggesting energy drinks may be a more efficient foundation for his magecraft.

Unbeknownest to the individual himself, he has also been furtively ranked "the number three man female students would like to sleep with," and it is said he is the only individual on the list whose rank has improved with old age.

Personality:
    A warm, pleasant man, the first impression Lukas Adalbert gives others is that of a warm summer day, or a hot drink shared with friends. He rarely rushes, and in fact seems irritated when forced to, preferring instead to enjoy a leisurely pace and maintain a relaxed discussion with his guests. Charming and well-educated, he is one of those rare individuals who could talk with a complete stranger for hours about nearly any topic.

He much prefers the slow pace of his coffee shop to the rush of the Association, as he was prone to test anxiety and disliked having to compete with his more qualified peers. He prefers to take his time getting to know others, treating many of his regulars like dear friends and his staff like (sometimes wayward) sons and daughters.

Curiously, despite his caring personality, he nevertheless keeps quite dangerous drinks on the menu, even those that virtually guarantee the drinker's demise. While he would never recommend them, his policy is not to deny anyone the pleasure of a fine cup of coffee, even if the thrill is their last.

Contrary to his typical friendly demeanor, he hates tea with a passion, and some of his former classmates attribute it to a rivalry - some say a failed relationship - with a tasseography, or tea-reading, practitioner in his youth. He will not, under any circumstances, sell tea in his establishment, and the very suggestion is grounds for expulsion.

Magecraft Related Abilities:
    As a magus, Adalbert has little talent. He is well-learned and studious, but his circuits are weak and their number nothing worth speaking of. He humbly recognizes he is capable of only mediocre cantrips and enchantments. However, while he was by no means a quick learner, when able to engage in self-study at his own pace, Lukas saw slow but steady improvement, and has grown into a decently knowledgeable practitioner of magecraft at the small arts he knows he can perform.

However, as a brewer of coffee for ritual purposes, Adalbert is a barista without peer. It is said that coffee was originally prepared in the Islamic world as a drink for religious practices and ceremonies, to inspire inspiration and confer greater concentration and vitality among those performing intricate ceremonies. It was even used by monks to keep them awake during devotions and prayers, and spread throughout the world, both in magi society and otherwise.

Specializing in blends of this nature and history, Adalbert's recipes range from ordinary to inhuman, with the highest potency said to forever rob an individual of their ability to sleep, resulting in a certain death after around two weeks, but guaranteeing absolute focus during those two weeks. Surprisingly, even when many of his blends are expressly fatal, even those blends see frequent sale - whether it is because the benefit is worth the cost or because a student has made a losing bet, he respectfully tries not to inquire.

It is unwise to assume the side effects listed on each recipe are mere hype. Unlike so-called "death wish" coffee, Adalbert strives to make absolutely clear: many of his products will kill you. The only question is when and how, and how messily. If you choose to nevertheless drink the coffee of the fae, the resulting madness was clearly listed in the fine print.

By using his family's affinity with fluid dynamics and pressure, Adalbert is also able to affect the brewing process and even reinforce the beans during the process, not unlike a human expresso machine. He is also able to apply various minor enchantments or geases to his coffee, a talent he makes good use of at the Daily Ritual, enchanting the brews with subtle influencing spells to improve the mood of its drinker or bolster their luck.

No doubt he could choose to imbue them with darker influences or purposes, but it is simply not in his personality to do so. He would honestly rather improve one's day than hinder them. The one exception is the employee room coffee pot, which after a bad experience, he has no shame in admitting he has enchanted with a minor geas to prevent theft or embezzlement, with pain if necessary.
    Last edited by Sunny; November 4th, 2017 at 01:29 AM.

Signature by fumato

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Death Wish Coffee: I can see noises.

Daily Ritual Coffee: I have transcended humanity and am entering the ether. Goodbye mortals, for I move to the next plane.

Very fun sheet, as he kinda feels like the "looks like a cinnamon roll but will actually kill you" character in a story. Plus, you did your research on coffee, which is nice.

But the question everyone is asking is, did you drink coffee while making this sheet?

Man...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saron View Post
    But the question everyone is asking is, did you drink coffee while making this sheet?
    Vanilla latte. ^^;

Signature by fumato

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    In the last twenty years, only five individuals have entered the list, the last being the aforementioned lord of the El-Melloi, who earned his ire by suggesting energy drinks may be a more efficient foundation for his magecraft.
    bless

Also I wouldn't want to be the person whose blood exploded out of their body because they OD'd on caffeine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries

"Day I turn twelve, Momma sits me down, asks I ever heard of the American Dream. I say 'Nah Ma, I's been busy being awake.'
    Yeah, I'm just joshing you! Pretty cool though, right? Anywho, wanna talk business? I brought donuts!"

Name: Kit Scorza
    Title:
    The Fixer, Louisiana's Little Calamity
    Height/Weight: 167cm/61kg
    Birthplace: America (New Orleans, Louisiana)

Likes: Sweet things, "gangsta" films, Moondog, carnival season
    Dislikes:
    First days of Winter, coffee, sitting still, European Magi
    Natural Talents:
    "Service with a Smile," Human Relations
    Natural Enemy:
    Kayneth Archibald, Orlando Reeves, Florence Nightingale
    Image Song: Haitian Fight Song

Origin: Association
    Elemental Alignment: Earth
    Circuit Quantity: C
    Circuit Quality: B
    Circuit Composition: Serpentine

bio
    A sorry lot are the Scorzas. Even huddled up in their native Sicily away from the world, "second-rate Magi" did not begin to describe them. When they fled to the Americas seeking opportunity and ended up on the streets of Lousiana, they could barely be called Spellcasters. And by the time they found themselves swallowed up by the local community, to say there were even "practitioners" of Magecraft would to them too great a service. So come the death of his father at the turn of the new millennium, young Keaton ("Kit") Scorza emerges the heir to a family left but a shadow of its once-inglorious self. No, not even a shadow, for that would imply they had at least some recollection of what once they had been. That the Scorzas had not, like the shamanistic Creole population who swallowed them, turned to an oral tradition, living on a narrative of forgotten fictions and convenient half-truths, their Magecraft a smattering of stitched-together techniques that fell apart and were lost with each generation. Their Crest lost, no longer passed down, and in the vilest of heresies the family's secrets shared with strangers for the sake of survival.The final nail in the coffin being that after two centuries of wallowing in inadequacy, the family of Scorza no longer thought themselves Magi, that heartless mindset abandoned, dreams of ever reaching the Root long since denied them.

The Scorzas of the twenty-first century were fortune-tellers and quack doctors, medicine men and advisers, "honest" individuals making an honest living on Louisiana's street corners. Such was the heritage of Kit Scorza, a boy raised on the song of the streets, a dream burning like coal fires in his sweet golden gaze. And like all dreams, it starts small - a little circus work here, a few healing charms there, then once his roots are laid down, an invitation sent uptown to what remains of the New Orleans crime families. This in itself was nothing unusual; the Scorzas had been taken on as advisers by many a superstitious mafioso in their time, amusing indeed that one might measure the decline of Mafia and Magus families on the same scale. What Kit had in mind was, however, just a teensy-tiny bit different, a plan to come together on his twentieth birthday. Traditionally in recent decades, the new heir was expected to perform some great feat of Magecraft at this age, mostly for the amusement of the younger members. The Scorzas and their allies, the Mafia and their associates; all expected a show.

They got an old police chief's impromptu demise when a piano from a passing plane happened to plop right in his swimming pool. Both sides were stunned - then one horrified, the other enthralled.

Fast forward five years, and Kit Scorza sits second-in-command to a resurrected crime Family worming its way across the American South. He commands his own squadron of mafioso all trained in the basics of Formalcraft, many of them pulled from the Creole communities that nurtured his forebears so. No Magus can so much as sneeze in the state of Louisiana without him hearing word. Countless magical artifacts that end up "mislaid" somehow end up in his possession. Mysterious deaths, medical charms, free fortune telling consultancies and even a helping hand in shady transactions! Good ol' Kit Scorza can fix just about anything for you.

Not bad at all for a guy who cries at the end of the Godfather II.

character
    "Hm? Why do I dress like this? Ain't you ever seen a gangsta movie? They got all these snazzy suits and bling coming outta their butts! Thought I oughta look the part."

In the words of his own mother: "He's so self-centered I should hate him, but so sweet I can't." Kit is a young man overflowing with affection and good will to his fellow man, more often than not expressed through physical contact and insistent flirting. He is at his core a romanticist longing for two never-were eras, that of an honourable mafia resplendent in glamour and of a Scorza family who were anything worth praising. Hence the fondness for gaudy fashion and constant gifts for those he cares for, the typical boy born into rags who in his heart dreams for riches. Fiercely-independent and almost childishly so, he has no patience for those who try tying him down, and likewise encourages and is drawn to the same independent streak in others. Perhaps one word that might best capture him is "bright," a fire deep gold who seeks people to help fan his flames.

As a child of the street, friendship comes quick to Kit, who counts as his extended family near the entire magical populace of New Orleans, all of whom have become more than familiar with his youthful charm and begging for headpats. He has no patience for deception, nor exploitation, and regards traitors far lower than any other in his imagining. Beneath the love of sugar and ever-present smile beats a certain love of morbidity, fitting for one who dances with death for a living. Kit's only desire should he die is that he does so after he accomplishing his dreams, and that he is at least granted a glorious end. And while outright deception is off the table, manipulation is not; smooth talking is a talent that so quickly becomes Kit, devious as he is, adept at convincing others to think as he thinks and step in line with his goals. For their own good, of course. Malice cannot take root in his life-loving heart.

As for his goals, well. Even bad men love their mamas. And papas. And adorable little brothers and sisters and cousins and aunts and uncles and honourary elder siblings and the entire Creole community who first took their emigrating asses in centuries ago. There exists a brighter, more brilliant place for his extended family somewhere out in the world, and Kit intends to take them there - whether they like it or not.

magecraft

Scorza Family Magecraft
    The tattered remnants of techniques that trickled down into the modern day, the Scorza's Magecraft took as its foundation the concept of benedicara, Catholic folk mysticism indigenous to Italy. A mixture of Formalcraft and unconventional Summoning principles, its primary focus is rituals that invoke a spirit (oft that of a saint or minor angel) to act on the caster's behalf. That these rites require little in the way of prana on the part of the practitioner proved ideal for the Scorzas and their inferior Circuits, the hope being that through associating their meager bloodline with powerful spirits over the centuries, some remnant of their strength might emerge in an heir. It was needless to say a fruitless ambition, and most of the Scorza's rituals were eventually bartered away to practitioners of Louisiana Voodoo once the family moved to America. These techniques were then syncretised, heavily altered, and eventually circled back transformed to their original founders. Rites meant to conjure the powers of saints became prayers to the loa, and so on. Given that the Creole peoples already had a history of incorporating Christian and Catholic elements alike into their belief system, it was a fairly smooth transition. Folk Sicilian Catholicism and folk Creole Catholicism. The system of outcasts torn away from their homeland and the system of outcasts fleeing their homeland. It is easy to see how the two could have combined.

The Italian practitioner of magic is oft referred to as fattuccchiere - a "fixer" who "fixes" maladies. In this new, syncretised system, the practitioner can now "fix" events to go in a particular direction. Scorza-Voodoo consists of Scorza rites that have been modified for the framework of Voodoo, or Voodoo techniques adjusted to use the Scorza's methodology. It is thus a veritable smorgasbord of rituals with no particular focus, covering divination to medicine to low-level fate manipulation. Each Spell is a small service held to beseech the service of a loa, spirits who act as intermediaries between man and the divine, attempting to win their respect and thus ensure their benevolence. In this way, the Italian fattuccchiere meets the African-American bokor. There does, however, exist a singular thread connecting these myriad arts - folk Catholicism, where one performs magic for the good of their fellow man, and Voodoo, which stresses the connection between things - that Scorza-Voodoo Magecraft can only ever be used at the behest of another. This does not bar the caster from benefiting from the spells that they weave. It is merely required that their work be done on someone else's behalf and at their encouragement; to ignore or worse, attempt to manipulate this system will result in one losing favour among the loa.

In the current era, referring to this system of rites as "Scorza" Magecraft is already an absurdity, for the retooled remnants of their work now sees use across all Louisiana in the hands of countless non-Magi, most of whom memorise a small portion of the whole body as their personal "tricks of the trade." Kit is unique solely in that he is, for the first time in the Scorza's long and scored history, perhaps the first above-average Magus the bloodline has ever birthed, and thus has quickly accumulated the vast body of Scorza-Voodoo spells into his repertoire. Were he to have attended the Clock Tower, he may in fact have had a future ahead of him in the department of Summoning - but alas, twas not to be. Perhaps due to his Earth elemental alignment, or because of his cheery devil-may-care attitude in the face of death, Kit holds a particular affinity for the Ghede family of loas, those who rule over death and fertility, and his rites tend to likewise take on a distinct morbid tone.

sample spells
    Hey, Papa? Can everyone else come out and play?
    O Legba, Who Bars the Way, I Beseech You, Open the Gates
    : The most basic of basics to any practitioner of Voodoo regardless of school, so vital to the practice that even calling it a Spell is to undermine its importance. To the Magus making use of Voodoo, invoking Papa Legba is one and the same as performing magic at all. Legba is the loa ruling over communications, who commands the gate between this world and the next, and without whom discourse between man and loa and thus man and divinity would not be possible. He is the loa above loas, and to lose his favour is to no longer be a man of Voodoo.

The particular rite used by Kit and most familiar with the Scorza tradition is inspired by the liturgy to Legba's Catholic equivalent St. Peter, likewise a man barring heavenly gates. Carve the sigil of Legba into redwood, using a blade whose handle is inlet with mother of pearl. Pour rum in copious amounts over the wood then, whilst chanting Legba's invocation, strike a match off of the wood without igniting the rum or damaging the sigil and light a cigar. Performed successfully, Legba will permit communication between the summoner and other loas.

Tricksy Tarot!
    O Erzulie, Who Knows the Rivers, I Beseech You, Show Us the Way
    : A standard divination technique calling upon the loa family Erzulie, a collection of fierce female loas who understands the flowing of water and the passage of time, often associated with the greater deity Mami Wata. Inspired by dedications to the Virgin Mary, this rite calls for the use of that element so common in Louisiana Voodoo, the gris-gris, a small talisman that takes the form of a tiny bag. In the gris-gris, place a small piece of paper containing the desired means of this divination, two petals carefully pinned together to resemble a heart (taken after the broken heart of Mary following her seven sorrows) and a thimble filled with the strongest rum available. Ensuring these elements do not mix, place the bag in a pot and then bury it under grave dirt. Drink half of the rum you have remaining, then pour the remainder of that into the pot as if watering a plant. Through this entire process, recite a particular romantic episode of which you are both particularly fond and have not shared with anyone before. Wait three days, then dig up the gris-gris and retrieve the thimble.

Pour the liquid inside over your desired means of divination, and enjoy the bounty you have received. Kit's preferred means, as with most practitioners, is a set of Tarot cards, that when imbued in this way can be used for divination on the part of others for one year - they will terminate regardless of how long they have been in use upon the fifteenth of September, Mary's feast day, requiring the rite be performed again. As the piece of paper used contains instructions on how the divination tool is intended to function (in this case, the meaning of each card in Tarot), the medium can theoretically be anything. If asked why he uses his cards in particular, Kit would likely reply "People trust Tarot, yanno? It hits 'em more when I turn over the Tower than if it was just the 'you've got some serious baloney coming up brother, best take care' card."

Totally Radacal
    O Nibo, Who Once Was of Us Lost, I Beseech You, Teach Us to Live
    : A ghede rite that invokes the spirit Ghede Nibo, a handsome youth taken from us too soon and so made a loa. He covers a diverse range of fields, ranging from medicine to the lost dead to the expression of sexual desire, and the particular rite Kit favours involving him is in essence a composite of his vast and varying portfolio. Technically, Nibo is not associated with any given figure, Catholic or Christian, and so it is in a fit of amusing heresy that Kit incorporates elements of the Eucharist into his performance, equating two mortal men who became that much more. Take wheat (the body) and recite a prayer to consecrate it, then submerge in a casket of white rum (the 'fluids') in the middle of a graveyard. Wait one week, then open the casket and toss in powdered bone from a desired individual. Wait one more week, then drain casket and retrieve soaked wheat. Grind wheat with tobacco, then roll into ten cigars, and store in packaging marked N I B O.

When one of these cigars is smoked, the smoker is able to communicate with the lost spirit of the deceased whose bone was provided (if no bone can be recovered, use material from the parents and all immediate siblings to narrow it down), inheriting their last laments and wishes. In addition, much to the typical smoker's chagrin, these inherited regrets will oft include the deceased's failure to sate their sex drive before passing on, compelling the afflicted to receive and attend to their lusts. Should the spirit's wishes be carried out to their satisfaction, Nibo will reward the 'victim' by taking their afflictions and misfortunes with him into the great beyond, in essence healing them. An invaluable but irksome technique, fitting for Kit indeed.

Christmas Comes Early
    O Linto, Who Grants Our Young Gifts, I Beseech You, Care For the Children
    : Another ghede rite, this time calling upon Kit's personal favourite amongst their number, the kind and gentle Ghede Linto, the wizened old gent who cares for young children and spares them misfortune. Understandably, Kit's rites syncretise him with the good old Saint Nicholas, calling upon especially his commercialised version and the sphere they share as jolly fogies with a fondness for kids (not in that way). Fill a bowl with Florida Water, then grate a cigar into the liquid. Fold in milk and cookies, then stir until a paste. Strain this paste into another bowl, at the bottom of which you have placed a spool of thread, whilst reciting Linto's prayer.

If successful, the thread will float to the top of the bowl having turned a golden shade. When this thread is tied in a knot round a child's little finger, any member of the merchant class who sees them will perceive the thread to be genuine currency, and will trade it for an item of middling value, typically toys or candy. To avoid the issue of inspiring greed in these children, Linto will only permit that a person make use of his threads once every six months, and woe betide he who attempts to circumvent this restriction.

It's Your Funeral, Literally
    O Brigitte, Who Consorts with Death, I Beseech You, Enshrine the Final Moments of the Two
    : Yet another ghede ritual, and one of two Scorza-Voodoo techniques of Kit's own invention. Maman Brigitte is the wife of great Papa Ghede Samedi himself, and here Kit calls upon her association with marriage, passion, love and death to create the ultimate "love potion." Typically, rites regarding love call upon the sweetheart Anaisa, who holds dominion over the concept among loa; Kit's interests, however, lie not in creating or ensuring love but testing it, verifying it, not merely "a love potion" but "a true love potion" that further calls upon Brigitte's syncretism with Brigid, goddess of flame. Soak red peppers in a mix of rum and chicken blood for one hour, all the while shouting obscenities regarding one's own sexual promiscuity (accurate or no). Remove two peppers, then hand them to individuals who have had the rite explained in its entirety to them, and invite them to feed each other their pepper.

If true love does not exist between the two, be it through deception or lack of honest emotion, then the pepper will rot fester and congeal in the stomach of the guilty party, bidding them to void their guts upon themselves for such treason as falsifying adoration. From that point forward, any effort at expressing false affection for the second party will result in an allergic reaction, triggering the same disgusting response. Should true love be present, however, Kit's rite ensures the two lovers will spend the rest of their lives together. By manipulating fate such that when one dies, the other is immediately consumed in flame and perishes with them. Brigitte will then bid her husband to move the bodies of the two, necromantically animating them such that they will move to rest with one another for all eternity, stirring again and dismissing all in their way should they be parted again.

This is, understandably, a technique rarely requested by Kit's business partners and customers, which brings to attention the second potential application of Brigitte's rite; marriage is, after all, more than merely love. Trust is a key element of any marriage, and if required this ritual can just as easily be used to check if trust exists between, say, a boss and his underling. Though given that the ritual requires both parties have the ramifications explained to them in full, it holds no value as an assassination technique, and more often than not the mere threat of its use is effective. Which is good, because unbeknownst to his colleagues, Maman Brigitte takes an incredibly dim of her power being invoked in this way. She will allow Kit to call on this service but once a year, on the day of his birth.

Grisly-Grisly!
    O Ghede, Who Nurtures Me, I Beseech You, May I Honour You So
    : The second rite of Kit's own invention, and the one that earned him his current position of prominence. This is at its core the very simplest of sympathetic magic, the notion that effects applied to one object can be applied to another, a concept so central to magical traditions worldwide. In Voodoo, this no doubt conjures the offensive image of putting needles in dolls to do harm to another, a form of cursecraft that is both absurdly inefficient and has no chance at all at bypassing the average Magus' defenses. This is different. First, take the gris-gris bag. Carve an effigy depicting your target. This effigy must not merely resemble your target, oh no; it must in its depiction be perfect, identical in all aspects visual and olfactory to the person right down to the clothing they wear at the exact moment the rite is performed, imbued both with biological material from the target, the caster, and the individual for whom the ritual is performed. This person must have a genuine, intense desire to see the target dead - such as, say, a working-class child whose parents were unfairly imprisoned by a corrupt police chief. Place the effigy in the gris-gris, seal it tight, then drop into a tankard of oil and close. The caster and the one they help must then consume a bowl of gumbo together, not uttering a word for this period. Once done, both then recite the appropriate prayer, bury the tankard underground, and wait.

If the desire to end another's life is sufficient, the great Ghede, Baron Samedi, the master of Death, he who digs the graves that permit others to die, will accept the offering and take the effigy up into death. Now, as aforementioned, killing an effigy would not normally kill a person in the field of sympathetic magic. Getting death itself to move from one medium to another simply requires too great an investment of prana. No, Kit's technique differs in that the effigy dies for the target. Baron Samedi's domain is over all death. All who are dead are known to him, as are all who will die, and all he knows to be dead must surely be dead. Put another way, if a sufficiently-similar effigy to a person 'dies,' then it becomes possible for Samedi to have the World accept "this person is dead."

As those familiar with the Holy Grail War and similar systems will attest, when the World is confronted with the twin truths of "this person is dead" and "this person is alive," its corrective influence will attempt to resolve the contradiction in favour of the former, for death's finality "should not be averted" if the World's logic is to function. In short, the World acts to end the target's life through any means available, typically through the manipulation of fate. Whilst a Magus might use vast amounts of mana to maintain his existence in spite of being "dead," most will rarely even notice what has occurred until it is far, far too late. That this technique is considered somewhat distasteful by his peers goes without saying. Certainly, bokor are permitted to use their powers to end the lives of others, but one must understand that the gris-gris' original purpose is as a means of healing and birth control; to use it then as an instrument of murder goes beyond heretical, approaches an insult to the art itself. Furthermore, one does not barter with death so easily; even should the rite succeed, as Kit explains, the person who requested that he end another's life in this way should from that point on consider their life forfeit to Baron Samedi, his to end on a whim whenever it suits him. And of course to Kit's life applies the same. Which is all the more incentive to live his life to the fullest and keep things entertaining, lest his patron grow bored of his games.

creator note
    Inspired by Daneel's "World-editing" suggestion. Obviously if he took part in a HGW he'd summon Crassus, the OG Italian gangsta, and set out to extort the asses off the upper-class masses.
    Last edited by sutaa; November 4th, 2017 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sutaa View Post
    Dislikes: First days of Winter, coffee, sitting still, European Magi
    Uh oh

E: also I think the last technique is meant to be inside the sample spells section, right?
    Last edited by 4score7years; November 4th, 2017 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Since it's the spell that specifically meets the using magic to kill in weird ways criteria, I thought I'd separate it from the rest of his sample spells for emphasis.

How soon would Kit end up on Lukas' shit list if he ordered hot chocolate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sutaa View Post
    How soon would Kit end up on Lukas' shit list if he ordered hot chocolate.
    Hmm. It's not tea, so it might be okay...

This was good mood music for writing the sheet, though, eheh.

Voodoo is an interesting choice for the contest, particularly that direction with it. They're not exactly practical, but repurposed interestingly.

Signature by fumato

Blog Entries
    I have 3 ideas for this contest, but I dont think they are good enough...
    1: My Assis with a few modifications
    2: An old true saint (lesser divine spirit) from the age of gods that read all the books in the world
    3: A woman (yet unnamed) that has (something?) with the creation of the spirals and firsts beings (time, matter and energy)
    To be true, this last was only to show the ''legend of the creation of all existences'' that I created
    Last edited by Criarino; November 13th, 2017 at 01:59 PM.
    My servants and mages
    Sorry, my english sucks

Things

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Incidentally, my idea of encouraging someone is to kidnap them, starve them, and then spend hours a day slapping their bound and gagged body with my penis.

Greatest battle in history
    He-man x Shiki Satsujinki

I love the internet

OH GOD SO CUTE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saron View Post

Rewire
    The Foundation Shall Fall
    also this name is fucking awesome. I've decided, this will be the name of my future son
    My servants and mages
    Sorry, my english sucks

Things

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Incidentally, my idea of encouraging someone is to kidnap them, starve them, and then spend hours a day slapping their bound and gagged body with my penis.

Greatest battle in history
    He-man x Shiki Satsujinki

I love the internet

OH GOD SO CUTE

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Bird of Hermes's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Name: York Lancaster
    Alias/Nickname/Title: “Yorkie”, “Faker”
    Height/Weight: 178cm/61kg
    Birthplace: Cambridgeshire, England

Source: (X)

Personality
    Forte/Likes: Intimate Nights In, 18+ Reverse-Harem Dating Sims
    Weaknesses/Dislikes: Large Scale Performances, Satay Chicken
    Natural Talents: Misdirection & Prestigitation
    Natural Enemy: Risa Mol-Undi, Social Anxiety

Magical Attributes
    Origin: Deception
    Elemental Alignment: Ether

Magic Circuits
    Circuit Quantity: C
    Circuit Quality: A+++
    Circuit Composition: Mobius Strip

Character

An excitable nerd and something of a shut-in by nature, she’s not someone you would expect to be employed as a Magus Killer.

Although happy to remain behind the scenes so to speak, she grew up knowing the responsibilities of a magus and they remain an ever constant burden. Feeling the need to leave behind a legacy like her forefathers she can find temporary relief in playing video games, dating/farming sims, movies or even attempting to create her own amateur projects. However whenever she gets an itch that they can’t scratch she will force herself outside of her comfort zone and take up a job that will net her some rare materials for study and enough money to last her a couple of months. Afterwards she will gladly retreat the level grind to get back to her hikikomori slice-of-life antics. Her wish is to fulfil the dreams of her family “to be of use” and herself “to become greater than ones previous self”. She considers becoming a “Seal Designation Agent” as a fallback but is aware if she progresses her magecraft too far she could potentially fall on that list.

Much like a lot of British people, she can’t handle any spicy food at all, if you take her to an Indian or Thai restaurant the only thing she’ll consider eating is a dish she tends to call “Butter Lamb” whatever that is.

Her ideal partner is ‘A super sexy knight in armour, preferably with a loyalty complex’ though she may be more suited for a ‘Conquering King’ (height not being important) to help with personal growth.

Biography

Once an influential family and a large family, the Lancasters rose to power both socially and magically in a quick amount of time. However these Magi used their illusions and curses an excessive amount in a short span of time, although the cursing and tricking genuine enemies and imagined slights clears the path, all curses eventually rein down on their users. As a result after a couple of centuries the family quickly fell into decline alongside the primary heir dying from an ‘accident’ partially through the transfer of the family crest, causing a significant portion of it to be lost.

However all was not lost, a small number of generations ago power began to spike quickly with heir being born with abnormally powerful magical circuits, almost making up for the centuries of loss for the family. The latest heir, York, has both grown up with the burden of leading the family and supporting them from a young age due to her father becoming sickly quickly as the punishment for their early hubris has not been completely paid.

She is “Officially” enrolled at Watchtower but spend her lessons in her room and instead watched recordings of his lectures, the few times she went out were to a certain coffee shop.

“I don’t tend to go for older men but with those two I’d gladly make an exception.”

When she entered adulthood there was an altercation at the family residence where she killed an assassin targeting her father, she discovered she had an aptitude for killing people. Treating the whole process much like a video game, every now and then between study of magecraft and doing literally anything else she’ll take a contract up and kill someone – whether it be someone who has insulted a powerful family, someone threatening to expose magecraft or to try and challenge herself.

Magecraft Related Abilities

Cognition Curses - 'Pseudo Reality' Control

A highly complex magecraft that appears to be reality warping akin to the True Magics, it has humble beginnings in simple illusion. By cursing a given target one is granted control over their spatial and visual information received by its living target. By taking control of this information, one can install a new “reality” to the target – akin to (barely like) the placebo effect used in medical trials if the brain perceives it to be true it can have genuine effects. Therefore these virtual realities super imposes upon the target will cause the body to react accordingly, causing illusory injuries to become genuine. However the person(s) targeted by these illusions must perceive the illusion for it to affect them, for example creating an illusory knife and striking someone will only cause them to be cut and bleed should they see the illusory knife, making back stabs impossible with this method.

Spells List

Chūkū Kabe (中空 壁, Hollow Wall) – A support based medical spell. By crafting an illusion that causes the target(s) to witness their wounds become healed, then their body will react in the same manor and restore itself in a rather painful fashion. Simple cuts scrapes and other superficial wounds are simple everything from broken bones which cannot be perceived for the most part and severed limbs are more difficult.

“Seeing is believing, I hoped for a cool nickname like ‘The Sewing Alchemist’ or something but here I am with ‘Faker’”

Tōei Chikara (投影 力, Projection: Force) – Assault based spells. By forming illusions of attacks, they will become true to the target(s). It depends upon the complexity in nature, for example creating a blast of generic magical/elemental energy or shaped charged would be much simpler than creating a cloud of spinning daggers or causing a target to witness themselves fall into sliced chunks. It can be modified to generate barriers as well or even defensive sentinel armoured knights but defence is not the focus of the spell.

“If you can imagine it, chances are I can blow you up with it, or set you on fire, or cut you in half, what’s your choice?”

Sodatsu (育つ, Grow Up Grow) – An evolution upon Chūkū Kabe. By warping the perception of the target upon their body they can manipulate their biomass to a more advance level. The simplest of which would be changing height as proportion can be mostly maintained with just the gaps between molecules being different. Alternatively they could grow protrusions such as tails and wings but these are more complex and difficult.

“… If anyone makes an ‘Inflation’ joke, they’re getting crushed.”

Muko (無効, Void) – The final spell in the arsenal. It is the creation of Null Space, which are seemingly inescapable voids in space-time that function similar to that of a black hole. By crafting an illusion of conceptual nothingness it superimposes a pocket dimension of empty space that consumes energy and matter. Its risk aside from the great initial mana cost is that it must be used sparing and in short bursts as should it consume too much energy, it is theorised to eventually become self sustaining.

“Black Holes are easy; just give me a Heart of a Foreign God for grinding.”

She is currently working on this foundation to create a form of function transforming rumours into reality and spread it through falsified news although progress has been disappointing thus far, but in a more technological based world such as a potential 2030 then she would have far more fortune. It should also be noted that despite effectively only being a fairly recent (effective) generation, perhaps third roughly, she has mastered all of the spells previously left to her with minimal effort.

Creator Remarks: (If Any)
    Not “Rainbows turn you into snails” but I took a basis of ‘A Lie That Becomes True’ and took it to an illogical extreme. It's definetly the mage I've put the most effort into and actually came up with a proper spell list for. It was challenging but very rewarding. I also remembered that the First Magic was called the Denial of Nothingness which was an inspiration as well, this was one of two ideas regarding (vague connections to) the first magic, the other you will have to stay tuned for as depending on how things play out, you may get to see it.
    Last edited by Bird of Hermes; March 12th, 2019 at 06:28 PM.