Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monster Hunter World

Monster Hunter World

Hype thread for Hype game

This game looks gigahype, here's some detail on it

http://gematsu.com/2017/06/monster-h...licoes-details

The important details.

Xbox One, PS4, PC release, simultaneous worldwide release (PC will be late)
    Day/night cycle
    open maps (no more segmented sections)
    All 14 weapons are returning (No tonfas for the 3 of you guys that played MHF)
    Mantles (Ghillie for stealth, black for drawing aggro)
    Palicos are back
    Grappling Hook (Just Cause anyone?)
    Drop-in drop-out co-op via flare gun summoning other players
    Hunter Hubs still exist

More info

This is basically Monster Hunter 5
    No more time limits nvm, just the post-quest 30 second carving time limit gone, you can free hunt after quests now.
    You can change equipment mid-hunt
    Quest Waifu is voiced

Items usable on the move (probably to adjust for the fact that monsters no longer have to move through zones to chase you on a single open map)
    Reportedly no more flexing either after eating

Trailer was entirely in-engine

More gameplay at Gamecom in august

4K on PS4 pro and Xbox One X (30 fps obv)

RIP cross-platform multiplayer

Some dude on reddit watched the dev live play through a demo at E3
    Spoiler:
    For the demo of MHW, they showed off the new way of proceeding through a hunt... And it goes something like this;
    Spawn into the Map. You get dropped at a set Base Camp [there are multiple per map] and you have your item box, delivery box, tent, etc etc. In the tent, you can actually change your equipment! Full access to your different armor, weapons, and "mantles" And mantles are basically a new type of toggle-able equipment that is in your item bar. It's shown in the trailer as the "ghillie" suit but there's a bigger selection than just that. In the demo they showed off two other types of mantles - the "Challenger" Mantle, and the "Stoneskin" Mantle. The challenger Mantle acts as a sort of "tank" Mantle. It's a shiny Mantle made out of various metal scales, and it's use is described as "a Mantle worn to attract the attention of Monsters. Useful for guiding them to different areas and (pissing) them off!". The other Mantle is the Stoneskin Mantle, which was worn by the Dev after he swapped to bow gunner mid hunt. The Stoneskin Mantle is supposed to give fire resistance and make you more stable -- but we didn't get to see the effects of the Mantle before the hunt ended.

The next new thing in the Hunter arsenal is the "Hunter Sling", a slingshot that is automatically equipped on all hunters and something I consider an essential to navigating the new areas. This slingshot is used to shoot various types of berries and rocks at Monsters, plants, and the environment. You can aim and shoot it without storing your weapon using L2 to aim, then R2 to fire. You select the ammo by equipping it through the item menu. The demonstrated ammo were Scatterberries, similar to the Scattershot from other games -- it's a weak AoE pelt used to knock environment or aggroed mobs. The other ammo was a new type of plant called "Ripshot", a thick apple like fruit(?) that exploded when shot. After briefly demonstrating the Hunter Sling, we got our final large new tool explained -- the trackerbugs.

Trackerbugs are what you saw in the trailer hovering around various lootable objects. That green swarm of fireflies. These tracker bugs will focus on tracking the monster currently selected by the Hunter. In the bottom right of the screen, beside the minimap, is a list of large animals encountered in the area. Any Monster you haven't investigated yet is a ?. As the Hunter travels throughout the area, the trackerbugs will lock onto various tracks of the monster being tracked -- demonstrated for us was mucus, Monster corpses, footprints, and claw marks. As you amass these Monster tracks, your tracking gauge fills up on the right of the screen. At various milestones, you will discover a) what the monster is b) the bugs will more accurately track the monster and at the final full level; the trackerbugs will accurately lead the way to the tracked Monster. If you happen to bump into the monster, you will get it automatically added as a full investigation.

The Monsters shown to us were the "Great Vagras", a ludroth-like Monster that gobbled it's Prey whole, and the Ajanoth, the monster seen in the in the trailer. The target for the demo hunt was the Ajanoth, but the Great Vagra was seen at various times throughout the hunt. After a little bit of tracking - the Dev finally came to the monster nest of the Ajanoth where it was sleeping. He used the ghili Mantle and the Hunter Sling to wake up the monster, and lead it outside of the cave -- oh, did I mention the map is open world? Because it is.

The map is divided into areas on the minimap, but it's one large consistent area with no loading screens. That being said -- after waking up the Ajanoth we got to see some combat. Attack was triangle and r2, triangle being the main slash it seemed. After running around the monster for a bit - attempting to avoid it's swinging attacks - the Dev did a charged swing off a nearby ledge and mounted the monster. Mounting is a bit different in this entry now, because the monster will act much more violently and erratically as it tries to swing you off -- so you can do the normal attack with triangle, hold on with r2, and then Dodge by holding to a side and pressing X. The Dev didn't accomplish this, and the monster slammed it's body into a tree and sent the Dev flying. The tree collapsed and entangled the monster, allowing the Dev to grapple back on and finish his mounting attacks - toppling the monster over. Some notable aspects are that there are now damage numbers on attacks -- for us, we saw GS average "15" on light to "34" on charged slash.

Jumping ahead a little, after going back and forth with the monster -- the monster got distracted by a roar and disengaged battle to run off. After chasing, we got to see some awesome environmental combat. There were poisonous berries that the Hunter interacted with using circle, and he cut the plant open - pouring the poison goo all over the floor. Sadly, the Dev got poisoned -- but did the monster. After being poisoned, the monster ran off enraged and slammed through a stone wall -- adding a new area to the minimap that the Monsters could go into and traverse through the various tunnels. In this little cave were lightning bugs that the Hunter could interact with using circle to create a makeshift flashbomb. The range on this was much smaller than what we expected, but it worked in such an enclosed space. Beyond simple circle interaction, the destructible environment came into play at a point. Similar to what we saw in the demo, the Dev placed a raw meat under a suspended boulder. Once the monster stumbled close to eat, the developer shot the bundle with the Ripshot bomb and blew it out of the suspension, dropping it onto the monster for 245 damage.
    The monster was very weak, and quickly ran away to its nest. Instead of following, the Dev treated us to another new function of the game -- fast travel! The feline companion jumped onto the hunter's shoulders and they flew up into the sky(?) and then after a rapid loading screen, appeared in the selected base camp. Then the Dev switched to a heavy bowgun set (which is the machine gun that everyone is talking about) and showed us that we do in fact have all 14 weapon types available in this game!

The Dev eventually found the nest after bouncing on some vines and climbed up to it where he showed off a new bowgun feature -- mortar shot. He shot a large Rocket into the air and it came crashing down on the sleeping monster, waking it with a rude 45 damage. He then rapidly ran out and lead the monster through some forested cliffs up to a monster nest of an "undisclosed" Monster. Some brief battle ensued, showing off the new "Sticky" bullet type -- a glue bullet that explores after a few seconds for roughly 35 damage -- as well as the new wyvern bullet -- a very close ranged special damage shot that acts sort of like the charged gunlance blast from previous entries. After the short battle, a Rathalos came to the nest and grabbed the monster. It executed the monster by picking it up, doing a frontflip, and throwing it into the grounds for 452 damage -- ending the hunt. The Dev got some carves, a complete sign flashed on screen, and our short but sweet demo was over.

Kelbi bow lol

No underwater combat
    Last edited by In-N-Out Double-Double & Animal Fries; June 15th, 2017 at 05:38 PM.
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

The other reason I bought a PS4 that I didn't know at the time
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

Summer Dioscuri Dream Sandstorm77's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I kinda stopped with MHX, but i will come back for this.

"An ideal is only an ideal after all. As long as you embrace that ideal, the friction with reality will continue to increase. So you will someday face reality and will have to pay for your compromises"

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I didn't play Gen because I spent too much on FUCKING extella and was waiting for the next main series title and it looks like this is it

hype hype

Potentially my first contact with the series.
    Thanks Extella I guess.

I hope hunting monsters is as fun as they say, not as it sounds!
    FGO accounts, MP for FCs; updated: 21/05/2017

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Never interested with MH before. Tried it on PS2, kinda dislike the game as a child when the only thing I do is killing some parasaurolophus-like dinosaurs.
    But now, I'm older, and this game's gameplay video sold me.

Looks like quest time limits are still in place so disregard what I said earlier

I think what's actually gone is the post-quest time limit. You don't have 30 seconds left to carve anymore and are free to hunt after you finish your quest
    Code:

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Well, this is god-tier. I haven't had a chance to play a monster hunter game since before 4. But this looks like something I may have to check out.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Summer Dioscuri Dream Sandstorm77's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by My Little Username Can't Be This Long View Post

Looks like quest time limits are still in place so disregard what I said earlier

I think what's actually gone is the post-quest time limit. You don't have 30 seconds left to carve anymore and are free to hunt after you finish your quest
    While that would definitely be more useful and makes sense, there was always some fun in trying to run up big corpes trying to get in as much carve as possible.

Especially when there's a lazy ass who just stays at the ship while fighting the jhen.
    Last edited by Sandstorm77; June 16th, 2017 at 08:56 AM.

"An ideal is only an ideal after all. As long as you embrace that ideal, the friction with reality will continue to increase. So you will someday face reality and will have to pay for your compromises"

Blog Entries
    I'm still laughing at people who either can't read or are preemptively trashing the game cause they can't get it on Switch or MHXX not coming over.

I understand this is gonna cut most of the demographic who prefer the on-the-go handhelds due to occupations (especially Japan) but don't salt over a game that's barely even been announced when all it's had besides interviews so far and some gameplay revealed because of a trailer showcasing a pretty platter instead of the meat you wanted.

The idea of being able to change equipment mid-hunt is kind of crazy but nice???

Blog Entries
    I understand this is gonna cut most of the demographic who prefer the on-the-go handhelds due to occupations (especially Japan)
    Well Japan is getting XX on switch lol

But yeah it seems like they wanted to free themselves from hardware limitations for MHW so putting it on Switch would be counter productive, also it's been in development longer than the switch was even out

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Grappling Hook (Just Cause anyone?)
    More like thank Dragon's Dogma for that. I've never tried a MH before, but if they have the combat like that, I can say I'll give it a shot.

@Zidan: Are there? I've only been seeing people saying, "hey, I can have a MH without PS2/PSP graphics, guess I'll come back.
    Last edited by Altima of the Gates; June 16th, 2017 at 11:14 AM.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I've never played a MH game before but that trailer looked pretty neat. I might get it if it comes out at a time when I have no huge games on the go.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    @Zidan: Are there? I've only been seeing people saying, "hey, I can have a MH without PS2/PSP graphics, guess I'll come back.
    People were/are REALLY mad bc they assumed the XX port for the Switch was going to be localized (and fans presumably went out and bought the Switch for it) but now Capcom goes "nope no plans for that lol", and at the same time a trailer for an every-platform-except-Nintendo version comes out and nobody knows what to make of it and everyone's going "this looks like a dumbed down Westernized version, there's no meat cooking jingle, everybody panic"

The dev interviews and reports from people who've seen the gameplay demos have mostly assuaged people's fears though, I think the trailer was just kinda misleading

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I think the trailer was just kinda misleading
    Exactly. They didn't showcase anything that made the game Monster Hunter really besides the graphics and the new features, especially the Multiplayer which people freaked out over where they thought it was going to be only the Dark Souls summoning flare thing they've introduced now only instead of the halls but those have been confirmed. The anime meat cooking without the music was sad but at least it was in.

I've heard about the damage counters and I appreciate the thought, I'm not good are keeping damage numbers in mind when I'm just aiming for weakpoints so it'll be nice to see that stuff on the fly, but I'm glad it's an option to turn off.

Blog Entries
    https://www.bilibili.com/video/av11376919/?zw
    oh hello there ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Blog Entries
    yoooo that voice

where have I heard her before
    Last edited by ZidanReign; June 16th, 2017 at 01:40 PM.

Basically the same as the above video but in Japanese and not a shadyass camnrip

Code:

Blog Entries
    I like how the first order of business in the Q&A was to shoot down the "paid subscription for multiplayer" rumours that everyone was losing their minds over

Blog Entries
    Praise Satan
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?