Page 286 of 369 FirstFirst ... 186236276281284285286287288291296336 ... LastLast
Results 5,701 to 5,720 of 7370

Thread: Monthly Create-A-Servant Contest

Blog Entries
    brb planning mourning disco achilles

EDIT: Also, this is like the one of the few times I think it's encouraged to post links to the music?
    The Adventure of the Velvet Room (Sherlock Holmes/Persona) (SB, FFN, AO3)

Blog with all of my Servants so far.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kabalisto Koga's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well i might have found one or two possible candidates !
    Your verified Chikara-production Studios !

Dont ship me with anyone unless i say so !

When you wake a Dragon in his Lair...

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Spammin Spiff's Avatar
    Time for one of the Brazilians to turn Rio into a servant with a heavy focus around the Carnaval.

Blog Entries
    Now I know we can't do martial arts that evolve from dance, but what about dance that has roots in martial arts?
    It's winter in Sapporo. And as the weather stirs, so too does a new Holy Grail War.

Fate/UpRise
    Character Compendium
    Story - Ch. 3

...I know no cure for evil. DracoScribe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Morg van Destro View Post
    Why is everyone saying fyuck? You do realize we have a great Daedalus sheet years back who's basically the Disco king because he canonically made the first dancefloor. If Daedalus of all people would probably qualify for this prompt, surely the creative minds here can come up with candidates.
    Meanwhile, I have at least one person who actually works for this, but I don't see him winning any grand awards.

Oh! I just found another one. This one might be interesting.
    Oh hey that is cool.

But, well, if you can make it focus on his ability to dance and/or focus on his creation of the dancefloor than his capabilities as an inventor and his inventions in general, sure, otherwise I wouldn't really count that sheet for this contest.

Though that won't be a problem for you it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by NMR-3 View Post
    EDIT: Also, this is like the one of the few times I think it's encouraged to post links to the music?
    It would be a bonus for sure! But I won't ask everyone to link stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gl4re View Post
    Now I know we can't do martial arts that evolve from dance, but what about dance that has roots in martial arts?
    I think it should be fine, like the sword dances that evolved from, well, sword fighting, like jian wu and paika dances. As long as the end product is "used to perform" and not "used for combat". As I said in the prompt, "I want more dancers, okay!"
    Last edited by DracoScribe; February 1st, 2023 at 08:44 AM.
    Author of:
    Persona 5: Refraction (SV link; FF.net link)
    "You didn't have to fight for me, you know." "And you didn't have to curl your hair so we'll look even more alike." Ren stared before he softly chuckled, Akira joining him not long after. With one simple decision as a child, Ren Amamiya goes to Tokyo alongside his little sister, Akira. (P5R Sibling AU) (Ren/Ann, Akechi/Fem!Akira)
    Chapter 55 on: April 24, 2024 (GMT +8:00)
    Velvet Throne
    My list of my Servants! Still small for now.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Spammin Spiff's Avatar
    What about someone who traditionally focuses on both dancing and singing? Or would that not be in the spirit of the prompt?

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    There's also the Sufi dervishes and their practice of Sama founded by mevlana rumi if you want to be more spiritual.

Blog Entries
    sure, there might be some significant people in that field, but like Bn said, man are recent or obscure.
    The obvious choices will be taken by others in the contest, so I personally can hardly imagine a very "diverse" cast of characters.
    But I am open for surprise. Its the initial reaction after all.
    "Let's see the color of your coin, my friend."

Behold my vault of Heroes.
    Where the Heavens and the Abyss breath the Music of Humanity.

The King's duty is to provide. And provide, I shall.
    University of Formatting | Gallery of Potential | Memorandum of the Extra Class Kings

Our Kingdom will grow. And we shall know each citizen.
    Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Fuuuuuck, I gotta get my SS reactions done fast so I can get cracking on this, I’m actually really excited for this one

Blog Entries
    I actually have a really good idea for this. Not sure if I can actually complete a full proper FGO Sheet like I normally do but I'll work on it and post what I have.

Servant Sheet Compilation
    'Winner' of the Legendary Jack-Off

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Legendary Hero of the Chain's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ...I don't know if I should hate or love you for this one, Draco. Definitely out of my ballpark, but fuck it if this isn't going to at least be fun to look into and read through. I'm a fail, but may as well toss my hat in the ring and hope work doesn't inevitably drag me into the lovely world of 'no time, deadlines' again.
    Gaze upon the Throne of Heroes!(Servant Compendium)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Oh wait I actually have something perfect for this. Del saved me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spammin Spiff View Post
    What about someone who traditionally focuses on both dancing and singing? Or would that not be in the spirit of the prompt?
    That's totally fine! That's why I mentioned Fred Astaire as an example in the prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by DelRey View Post
    sure, there might be some significant people in that field, but like Bn said, man are recent or obscure.
    The obvious choices will be taken by others in the contest, so I personally can hardly imagine a very "diverse" cast of characters.
    But I am open for surprise. Its the initial reaction after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Hero of the Chain View Post
    ...I don't know if I should hate or love you for this one, Draco. Definitely out of my ballpark, but fuck it if this isn't going to at least be fun to look into and read through. I'm a fail, but may as well toss my hat in the ring and hope work doesn't inevitably drag me into the lovely world of 'no time, deadlines' again.
    The amount of chaos(? curses? lamentations?) I'm causing with my prompt, I swear...

I legit thought it'd be fine! You guys are so creative with composers (shout-out to delrey's musician sheets) and their skills and NPs! So I thought shining a spotlight on dancing would be fine! Really!

But hmm...the obvious choices?

I don't know if these are what you meant but this is what I think when I see you say "obvious choices" Del. I'll list them here in case it's more helpful than the dance style suggestions I did.

William Henry Lane, better known as Master Juba ("father of tap dance")
    Fred Astaire (need I say anything? Ah, whatever I will: famous actor, singer and dancer; tap dance style infused with ballet and ballroom and had incredible rhythm)
    Bill "Bojangles" Robinson (famous tap dancer, singer and actor; famous for stair dance routine, dancing with Shirley Temple, advocating for more equal treatment of black people)

Isadora Duncan (one of the pioneers of modern dance; developed a "philosophy" of dance, focused more on the actual dance movements than the costumes, amomg other things, )
    Ruth St. Dennis (one of the pioneers of modern dance; her style heavily influenced by Asian dance styles)
    Loie Fuller (one of the pioneers of modern dance as well as a pioneer of lighting for stage and film, made many patents for inventions for that; creator of "Serpentine Dance")

Grete Wiesanthal (Austrian dancer who her own modern dance style associated with waltz music, a "solo waltz" to say, more involved with spinning than vertical movement compared to contemporaries Ruth and Isadora)

Irene and Vernon Castle (reinvigorated interest in modern dance and popularized the foxtrot, ragtime and others)

Ovidio José Bianquet, better known as El Cachafaz (earliest known and popular tango dancer)
    Casimiro Ain (another prominent tango dancer; one of, if not the, first tango dancers to perform in Teatro Colon in Bueanos Airas)

Pierre Beauchamp (creator of thr five positions of ballet)
    De Lafontaine ("queen of the dance"; first female ballerina, before female parts were played by men like in plays; contributed to opera ballet in France during Loius XIV)
    Jean-Baptiste Lully (composer and dancer; master of French baroque style; contributed to opera ballet in France during Louis XIV and worked in his court)
    George Balanchine (father of American ballet, mainly a choreographer but he did dance for a while)
    Jean-Georges Noverre (creator of ballet d'action; birthday is International Dance Day)
    Marie Sallé (carnival performer turned ballet dancer; style was dramatic and had simpler costumes; influenced Noverre/helped in the creation of ballet d'action)
    Anna Pavlova (Russian prima ballerina; first to do world tours; associated with Camille Saint-Seans Le Cygne with her routine The Dying Swan, which influenced Swan Lake)
    Enrico Cecchetti (ballet virtuoso and creator of Ceccheti method; teacher of Anna Pavlova, among others)

I'm tempted to add Balthasar de Beaujoyeulx (creator of the first ballet) also counts because of him being a choreographer/dance master, but I'm one the fence since I did say "dancer" and he more created the dance rather than being a dancer... At the moment I'm leaning towards "yes" because choreography is a part of dance and you can't choreograph if you don't know how to dance but still undecided.

One that's less obvious but "obvious" for "me" as a Filipino is Hara Humamay/Queen Juana, aka the supposed originator of the Sinulog festival and dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vididii View Post
    Fuuuuuck, I gotta get my SS reactions done fast so I can get cracking on this, I’m actually really excited for this one
    Well I'm glad one other person is. I didn't think it'd be this bad...
    Author of:
    "You didn't have to fight for me, you know." "And you didn't have to curl your hair so we'll look even more alike." Ren stared before he softly chuckled, Akira joining him not long after. With one simple decision as a child, Ren Amamiya goes to Tokyo alongside his little sister, Akira. (P5R Sibling AU) (Ren/Ann, Akechi/Fem!Akira)
    Velvet Throne

Blog Entries
    Bn, i see a name. Its time.

I may have found my entry. Now i shall see what i can cook up.
    "Let's see the color of your coin, my friend."

Behold my vault of Heroes.
    Where the Heavens and the Abyss breath the Music of Humanity.

The King's duty is to provide. And provide, I shall.
    University of Formatting | Gallery of Potential | Memorandum of the Extra Class Kings

Our Kingdom will grow. And we shall know each citizen.
    Create-a-Servant 4 soon.

Blog Entries
    I also wanna point out that literally any character from a ballet like Odette or Drosselmeyer probably counts.

Servant Sheet Compilation
    'Winner' of the Legendary Jack-Off

Blog Entries
    Appearance
    Aloha! Servant Voyager, David La'amea Kalākaua, at your service!

Hm... I wonder what sort of songs and dances have been invented while I've been out? Come and join me, Master! I want to experience them all!
    Class: Voyager
    True Name: Kalakaua
    Aliases: David La'amea Kalākaua
    Height and Weight: 186 cm, 92 kg

Source: Historical fact
    Region: Hawai'i
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Attribute: Man

Parameters
    Strength: C
    Constitution: D
    Agility: D
    Magical Energy: B++
    Luck: D
    Noble Phantasm: B

Overview
    Background
    Kalākaua, sometimes called "The Merrie Monarch", was the last king and penultimate monarch of the Kingdom of Hawai'i, reigning from February 12, 1874, until his death in 1891. Succeeding Lunalilo, he was elected to the vacant throne of Hawai'i against Queen Emma. Kalākaua had a convivial personality and enjoyed entertaining guests with his singing and ukulele playing. At his coronation and his birthday jubilee, the hula, which had hitherto been banned in public in the kingdom, became a celebration of Hawaiian culture.

During Kalākaua's reign, the Reciprocity Treaty of 1875 brought great prosperity to the kingdom. Its renewal continued the prosperity but allowed the United States to have exclusive use of Pearl Harbor. In 1881, Kalākaua took a trip around the world to encourage the immigration of contract sugar plantation workers. He wanted Hawaiians to broaden their education beyond their nation. He instituted a government-financed program to sponsor qualified students to be sent abroad to further their education. Two of his projects, the statue of Kamehameha I and the rebuilding of 'Iolani Palace, were expensive endeavors but are popular tourist attractions today.

Extravagant expenditures and Kalākaua's plans for a Polynesian confederation played into the hands of annexationists who were already working towards a United States takeover of Hawai'i. In 1887, Kalākaua was pressured to sign a new constitution that made the monarchy little more than a figurehead position. After his brother William Pitt Leleiohoku II died in 1877, the king named their sister Lili'uokalani as heir-apparent. She acted as regent during his absences from the country. After Kalākaua's death, she became the last monarch of Hawai'i.

Personality
    Dislikes: Violence, bad kava juice
    Talent: Surfing, musical performance

Extraverted and passive. A lively and convivial young man who seems to live to bring joy to others. Kalakaua very rarely conducts himself as a king, instead choosing to behave as a wandering performer of sorts. He wholeheartedly embraces both his strengths and his weaknesses, a trait that colored his view of "the ideal Hawai'i"; namely, "a Hawai'i unafraid of being itself".

Even as he's the free-wheeling sort of person, Kalakaua still chose to put his name forward as a king candidate, because he saw that what his royal rival Queen Emma offered-- namely, a "strong, independent Hawai'i"-- failed to take into consideration the Hawai'ians' character as a hospitable, loving, and passionate people.

However, upon ascending the throne, Kalakaua was blinded to the opportunists eager to exploit those traits he so dearly loved in his people. Or perhaps, he himself turned a blind eye on these dark designs, eternally wanting to believe that everyone is good-natured as he is. This is what forms his wish to the Holy Grail: not to go back and right the wrongs of his reign, but to change the hearts of those who so callously ended it.

Relationships
    Master
    Kalakaua approaches the Master as like a younger sibling. Of course, since he is the irresponsible sort, this would most likely result in a relationship where the young sibling has to parent the elder.

Incidentally, he will become sulky if he is ever treated like "a king". He can act like one when the situation calls for it, but it is something he very much doesn't want to become routine.

David
    "Huh, so King David ended up being like that... Somehow it makes me happy that my namesake is trying to be more responsible, hehe. Eh? 'You should try to be more like him, too'? Ahaha, I'm afraid this is as far as David Kalakaua can go, Master! Well, if we somehow manage to get the Grail, then maybe..."

Thomas Edison
    "Oh, Mr. Edison! Your direct current inventions were most welcome at the rebuilt 'Iolani, so thanks for that, haha! That said, I'm quite curious about your Mystic Code. It's supposed to contain all the presidents of the United States, right? Then, mind if take a few shots at ya? There're a few crusty old men in there I've been itching to introduce my fists to..."

BB (Summer)
    "Eh?! That young miss is supposed to be Lady Pele?! ...Well, if I'd just judged the cover I'd be shocked, but I heard about some of the things she did in that Honolul-ish place, so... I'd say that's Lady Pele, alright..."
    Class Skills
    Independent Navigation: B
    Ability that allows for action even in the absence of the Master. It is possible for a Servant to continue their journey for two days without a Master. However, this is the ideal value achieved by maximally conserving mana and avoiding battle and Noble Phantasm usage.

Contact with Civilization: C
    Skill that transform anything within the bearer's grasp into its best/most suitable form. A Skill that can be considered a friendly version of Civilization Erosion.

In Kalakaua's case, his specialty is incorporating various musico-cultural expressions into his own repertoire.

Personal Skills
    Charisma of the Heavenly Four: B
    The special charisma of the Heavenly Four, a set of Hawai'ian royal siblings whose contributions triggered the first Hawai'ian Renaissance. Comprised of Alluring Euphony, Charisma, and outstanding lyric composition skills.

In the case of the Merrie Monarch Kalakaua, the "personal charm" part of Charisma is one rank higher than displayed, while the "talent for national rule" portion is one rank lower.

Hula: B
    The traditional dance form practiced in Hawai'i. As a form of non-verbal communication that conveys through symbols the complexities of spoken language, it serves as the ancient Hawai'ians' rough equivalent to writing. Messages transmitted through this art form bypass targets' mental interference effects of up to one rank lower than the skill, provided they can perceive the dance itself.

Kalakaua is not only well-versed in all forms of hula, but also in ku'ialua, the martial art that sprang from it.

Protection of the Hula God: A
    Skill that denotes the divine protection of Laka, the patron god of hula and canoe-building. Students of the art of hula entrusted themselves to Laka in order to prevent the mistakes they make while practicing from bringing down misfortune. Nullifies mental interference effects equal to this Skill's rank or lower while performing hula, and provides the talent necessary to commandeer vessels recognized as ships.

Noble Phantasms
    Halelewa Lana Ka'imiloa: Far-Seeker Clad in Majesty
    Type: Anti-Army Noble Phantasm
    Range: 1-30
    Max targets: 300 people

The first and only ship operated by the Royal Hawai'ian Navy. Although it is equipped with anti-personnel armaments as a sailing vessel, its true strength-- its very purpose-- lies in spreading King Kalakaua's influence. It naturally acts as a mobile platform upon which the King can perform his hula dances, and harbors within itself a group of shades that represent not only the original Ka'imiloa's crew, but also the Royal Hawai'ian Band that used the ship as their concert stage for nearly four decades. Whilst aided by their performance, Kalakaua's Charisma of the Heavenly Four skill receives up to two plus-corrections.

Mele Lani Hawai'i Pono'i: True Sons Bound by Loyalty
    Type: Anti-Unit Noble Phantasm
    Range: 1
    Max targets: 1 person

The national anthem that Kalakaua composed, which continues to be a symbol of Hawai'ian pride even in the present day, the performance of which has become an exercise of Kalakaua's royal authority. While it is being performed either by himself or the Band aboard the Ka'imiloa, Kalakaua enters a mental state he refers to as "King mode" and receives a rank-up to his Hula Skill. At this rank, one's hula has reached the realm of pre-Western contact practitioners, allowing them to communicate with animals, plants, and even the gods themselves using dance.

Author's Notes
    Art sources: 1, 2

A few clarifications and tidbits before I go. I went with an aged-up Hau FC in to basically continue the gag of Kamehameha Servants having Hala FCs. The initial image song might be familiar to people as the opening song to Lilo and Stitch (under the title He Mele no Lilo (A Song for Lilo)), but it was actually first composed by Kalakaua as He Mele Inoa O Kalakaua (A Name-Song for Kalakaua). Incidentally, Aloha 'Oe, the song that plays during Lilo and Stitch's most emotional parts, was written by Kalakaua's sister, Lili'uokalani.

Next up, I took some creative liberties with some of the skills. The link between hula and Hawaiian martial arts isn't clear, but there is anecdotal reference referring to Hawaiian chiefs picking warriors from the hula schools, so I just took that concept and ran away with it. The deity invoked by hula dancers for protection is actually the goddess Laka, who rules of hula and forest growth. I chose to establish the link with the god Laka instead since it fit better with the sailing motif in the rest of the profile.

Anyway, ciao.
    Last edited by Nuclear; February 2nd, 2023 at 08:56 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nuke fears no challenge.

Your average angst/edge supplier BnEl15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Feels like a good time for an Anna Pavlova alt, but I think that would better fit the rework contest rather than this one.

On the bright side, I found a certain dance culture that piqued my interest. Now if only I can find a single individual who really defined that culture...

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Alexcoene's Avatar
    Fuck, dances are one of the things in the world which don't interest me at all. I may have an idea, but I feel like it's a giant stretch.

Blog Entries
    Aw yeah! We got the first entry for this month's prompt! Aaaaand...

Kalakaua: ...oh boy. Already aiming for weakspots. First we got the Hau FC and I'm a Pokémon fan, and then I got distracted by the image song and listened to it several times because it was one of my favorite songs (from of my favorite films). (am i using that right...? i have no idea if i'm using it right. anyways...) And then we get to details! A king doing his best to help his culture and land prosper yet isn't kingly at all. Just a jolly good guy enjoying what he's doing while doing his responsibilities as best he can (like Hau). "The Merrie Monarch" indeed. Unfortunately for him, history didn't go so well for him and Hawai'i ended up under US control. But, still, he doesn't let that get him down as a Servant (though he will most definitely take chances to give some fair payback if the Edison interaction is any indication...). It was nice reading the skills and NPs, helping him sail and perform as best as he can and all stemming from him as a person and his culture. But out of all of the mechanics and story of the sheet, my favorite part of it was the "Hula" skill. "As a form of non-verbal communication that conveys through symbols the complexities of spoken language [...]" That kind of description easily sums up one of the reasons I love dance, despite being no expert in it (like...how little I know is compared to how much I love it is embarassing to admit...). Some dance styles might not be exactly as complex as hula (as in it is a rough equivalent to writing), but the movements of them can be used to convey something to you, whether that be a story, a message, who the dancer is as a person, or all of that or more. So yeah, Kalakaua did his job and just gave me a big ol' smile on my face.
    Also thanks for the clarification about the hula deity, and the tidbits too. Like a cherry on top of this delightful piece.
    Last edited by DracoScribe; February 3rd, 2023 at 10:40 AM.
    Author of:
    Velvet Throne