Page 6310 of 6412 FirstFirst ... 531058106210626063006305630863096310631163126315632063606410 ... LastLast
Results 126,181 to 126,200 of 128222

Thread: Badass Versus Thread

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I mean if you're annoyed by some of your info dumpers being fallible and inaccurate due to being characters and not the author then that's a discussion for a different thread. Otherwise you don't just ignore actual facts and context for some irrelevant points.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    But the bottom line is the Saber vs Herk fight in the woods was executed terribly, and you can't make me like it.
    Even after all these years, it still feels like the biggest ass-pull in the story doesn't it...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Even after all these years, it still feels like the biggest ass-pull in the story doesn't it...
    Shirou vs Gil begs to differ.

Shirou versus Gil is fine unless you're a Gil fanboy.

Saber versus Berserker is kinda lame, but that's mostly because "a single attack can take off more than one life" isn't sufficiently set up beforehand. Berserker's interlude hints at it by saying "he has a bad feeling about fighting her, because he thinks she could kill him if she could use her holy sword", and the bad end during the fight has Illya outright say "Excalibur could take off all his remaining lives if Saber had enough magical energy to use it properly", but relying on one vague allusion and a bad end the reader may not have played yet isn't really enough.

(Of course, the reason it's so poorly foreshadowed is because Nasu was trying to hold God Hand back as a surprise reveal. A theoretical Fate route rewrite would probably solve this issue by just revealing God Hand earlier, given everyone and their mother already knows about it from the various sequels and spinoffs.)

Excalibur is really easy to dodge though. that is why you dont bring an anti-fortress NP to fight a 1V1 duel with a master warrior especially one with good instincts.

so pragmatically, it would require some form of distraction of the beam to hit herk, even if it did have the ability to kill him

Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    Shirou versus Gil is fine unless you're a Gil fanboy.
    the notion of Caliburn vs Merodrach not being repeated with every sword clash in UBW was a real consistency problem for me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    They weren't excaliblasts they were just prana bursts
    Spoiler:

hey YOU, do you have the full booklet scanned somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    the notion of Caliburn vs Merodrach not being repeated with every sword clash in UBW was a real consistency problem for me
    Shirou used Caliburn to deflect numerous attacks from Gil before Gil brought out Gram, and when Gil uses it, he says "an imitation that deteriorates every time it is renewed cannot hope to match the original". So I think the idea is supposed to be that Caliburn could stand up to Gram for a hit or two if it was freshly projected, but because Shirou's projections deteriorate with use, his worn-down Caliburn broke against the perfect Gram.

Also, the principle behind Shirou's victory isn't just that Gil is slower, it's also that he's less skilled—specifically, he fires his swords like bullets because he doesn't have the swordsmanship to wield them by hand. So even if Shirou's weapon breaks in one hit and Gil's remains intact, so long as Gil's sword is knocked off-course by the collision, the attack is neutralized. That's the drawback of using swords as bullets.

didn't they say somewhere in his bio that Gil's sword skills were "average"?

average by servant standards is still damn good

Gil's exact skill level fluctuates a bit depending on the author, but "less skilled than Shirou" and "unskilled enough that he prefers to just shoot them like bullets" are the keys here. He's probably a lot more skilled than any swordsman in the modern era, but Shirou assimilating battle experience from his projected weapons is enough to outskill him.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    that's not my book
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Another thought I just had on Caliburn versus Gram: the outcome may have been different if the projection Shirou used was actually Gram, rather than a younger sword based on Gram. The projected Caliburn isn't just a degraded version of Gil's sword, it's a degraded version of a sword that was already an inferior rip-off of Gil's sword. At that point, it may be distant enough from the original that it just can't break it no matter what.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries

- - - Updated - - -

https://imgur.com/a/xw0KZjk
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    To me, the worst part of Saber vs. Herk in the woods isn't Caliburn taking multiple lives with a single strike, it's that idiotic CG of Shirou and Saber somehow wielding Caliburn at the same time.
    Really, Nasu? You couldn't have Shirou just project Caliburn and hand it off to Saber? You really had that little faith in your prospective audience?

Spoiler:

The longer I stare at it the more awkward it gets

Did she, like, run in front of him, then reach back and snake her right arm under his left armpit to grab the sword? Why is her right hand on top of his right hand, when the entire rest of her body is on his left? Where has Shirou's right arm gone?

So many questions

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The art is bad but the moment is cute. 10/10.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    To me, the worst part of Saber vs. Herk in the woods isn't Caliburn taking multiple lives with a single strike, it's that idiotic CG of Shirou and Saber somehow wielding Caliburn at the same time.
    Really, Nasu? You couldn't have Shirou just project Caliburn and hand it off to Saber? You really had that little faith in your prospective audience?
    bruh.

It's teamwork. They're supporting each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
    but relying on one vague allusion and a bad end the reader may not have played yet isn't really enough.
    After Rin blew up Herc once with her remaining gems, Illya basically gloated that if she had 5 times as much she could have killed him off completely.

not available due to uni Wallacia's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    On-hold (TBA)
    US Friend Code
    may post it.
    alright, i know i'm gonna get cursed for saying this, but: Serious gilgamesh vs lostbelts bosses. each round is separate, how many lostbelts he clears?
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Arc’s real master is a boy in a school uniform

Blog Entries
    Serious Gil jobs every time
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    bruh.

It's teamwork. They're supporting each other.
    That could have been communicated just as well with Shirou just giving her the sword and letting her do her thing!