View Poll Results: Megathreads: Good or Bad?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • One big thread is perfectly serviceable.

19 35.19%
  • One big thread is kind of a hassle.

35 64.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Megathreads: Good or Bad?

Megathreads: Good or Bad?

The purpose of this poll is to get a feel for how you feel about gigantic threads with tens of thousands of posts that aggregate all discussion of a broad nature, and also the possibility of spreading that discussion among numerous threads with a more narrow focus and manageable size. Think of making a thread for every new FGO chapter and a thread for translations instead of posting about all that in Story & Lore, or letting topics with potential for discussion and a use as future reference develop in their standalone threads in GD instead of folding them all into Questions. Obviously pruning could still occur in this scenario for things that simply don't merit a new thread, but with a lax eye, so to speak. This isn't a prelude to imminent change or anything but I'm interested in seeing how the community feels about a topic that is brought up repeatedly as a potential improvement to the forum.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    As a pathetic no-lifer I'm perfectly fine with things as they are, people who can't backlog are WEAK AND PATHETIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think for things like Story & Lore, one thread is way too much and it kills interest in reading and discussing. Stuff like Gameplay General is a bit more questionable though, since a general thread is pretty useful but the argument can be made for splitting threads off for events, theorycrafting, strategies, etc.

Sooo partly I guess what this could point to is maybe FGO needing its own subforum!
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't mind them for discussion but trying to find old discussion/translations/sources on them is a gigantic hassle, this is particularly bad with the Questions but can be an issue sometimes in FGO Story and Lore too. So yeah, numerous threads are a good idea. The only problem is that they would probably drown out anything that is not FGO, but this

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Sooo partly I guess what this could point to is maybe FGO needing its own subforum!
    would solve that problem.

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    RIP the rest of the forum lol
    canon finish apo vol 3

I mean, unless we decide to all discuss previous chapters all of a sudden, this shouldnt be much of a problem?

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I like having everything together in one thread. If I ever need to look back I just use the thread specific searches.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Megathreads just eat up all of the discussion and make it so nobody participates unless they live in that thread 24/7.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

I frequent forums without megathreads, so that's shaped my preference over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I think it should be that each event/chapter should be given its own thread (or rather two threads, one for spoilers, one for not). English, and jp separated ofc.

Now I'm ok with xk page limits but at the very least it should be chapter divisions for FGO and page limits for GD or whatev. But as for what to do with stuff like Mahoyo, case files, or Extella IDK, I think it should be same thread? It simply makes it easier to navigate and finmd stuff you wanna know if everything for that specific thing is concentrated when you search.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    As a pathetic no-lifer I'm perfectly fine with things as they are, people who can't backlog are WEAK AND PATHETIC
    The problem is search function is borked for the big threads which is ridiculous and things posted last week can be on page 20 while something from 2016 can be on the front page of search.
    Last edited by Cruor; July 18th, 2018 at 11:23 PM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    The problem is search function is borked for the big threads which is ridiculous and things posted last week can be on page 20 while something from 2016 can be on the front page of search.
    That happened to me yesterday while searching for Journey fes arts, actually infuriating. At least it doesn't happen when you're sifting through a poster's post AFAIK. That's why you have to be specific.
    canon finish apo vol 3

I like having everything in one place, but I think threads that get too big should be closed at some point and have a new one be made. Just like the Create-a-Servant thread.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    I dislike the idea of spreading things out even chapter-by-chapter since it means eventually you'll have to go back pages in the subforum to find older stuff (and even that's a hassle), things that meander away will have issues (if something relevant to one thread is talked about due to its relevance in another, which does it go in, and which am I scrounging through to find if that point comes up again?), people are inevitably gonna post in a wrong thread or new people will make a new thread or all sorts of things and directing them to the right one becomes a pain...

Yeah, really to me it'd just be completely fine to go with megathreads if the search function weren't borked. Otherwise I suppose you could divide it down a tad but too much and you're just going to have an increase of little problems.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Thread structures are currently fine

Time should be better used refining the search function.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    oh wait sniped

fools seldom differ

- - - Updated - - -

The issue with numerous threads for me is that, all the time, something is going to be related to something else
    So you're going to get Extella info in your GO threads and other stuff because everything in the Nasuverse is pretty much linked
    Having separate threads means you have to remember more places where specific info or previous discussion could have taken place
    At the very least for the GD and GO megathreads, if you go through google search and specify the megathread, more than 50% of the time, you can find what you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    How much work would need to be done to even fix the search function and would it be feasibly be able to be done without fucking up anything is a question to be brought up as well.

I'll be honest in that I've never looked through a megathread even once except for the op or latest posts cause of how daunting the huge amount of pages of shit there is in one so I wouldn't miss them in the slightest.

Blog Entries
    Get rid of all the threads and just know everything, problem, solved

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Megathreads just eat up all of the discussion and make it so nobody participates unless they live in that thread 24/7.
    This is my main issue with megathreads as well. Also it's extremely hard to use them for reference if you weren't present when posts you need were made. Questions in particular has grown to the point where sifting through for general info to use for stuff like fanfics is not really feasible, you have to know specifically what you're looking for and when writing a fic that...rarely happens.
    Last edited by Snow; July 19th, 2018 at 10:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Threads with huge page counts made me scared of posting things (what if people tell me "that's been discussed X-hundred pages ago"?), not that I have anything important to post.

Also if I were to look for a thing that may be buried under a few hundred posts or look for a thread that may be buried in a few pages of the thread index, I would greatly prefer the latter.
    FGO Supports (Last Update: 2019-08 Anniversary)

Quotes

<dyingcomputer> canaki <dyingcomputer> is the embodiment of notes

Quote Originally Posted by canaki View Post
    I stick to my opinion of Shinjuku = Higashide, Agartha = Minase, Shimousa = Sakurai, Salem = Meteo

(Since I'm repeating this a lot)

I just want to know how spoilers would work without spoiler megathreads.

Would there be 2 versions of each chapter thread or something?
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff