Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 232831323334 LastLast

Thread: Fate/Grand Order: Camelot Anime

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    As an anime-only myself I felt less confused and more like the emotional beats just didn't hit.
    I could follow the plot with no issues, but the cuts to the story we pretty apparent imo, even if I didn't know what exactly they cut out.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    As secondary scum, I feel both are better standalone that people give them credit for. That said, it does feel Camelot is limited by it's format so Babylonia better for me, too
    Still, since we're comparing, I find this article interesting since it argues Camelot 2 is better than Babylonia
    https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2022/01...ion-standards/
    This article nails my thoughts on Babylonia almost perfectly.

Honestly I remember disliking it quite a lot for most of its course while it was coming out. It was so safe and standard it felt like any other seasonal, one which I wouldn't have cared about if it wasn't Fate.
    Ep 0 was fantastic and I especially loved the last one, but it was only really saved by some great scenes here and there (mostly around the climax of the story).

On the other hand, while the first movie was easily one of the blandest Fate anime, Camelot 2 worked very well for me as a 'fanservice piece' for a fan of the source material. Yes it was messy, yes it was super rushed, yes it's dumb that they removed Touta and the Hassan screentime, yes it lacked a proper structure. Yet I feel they cared much more about the chapter than they did in Babylonia tbh. Especially with the work on characters like Tristan and Gawain, which I feel gained more weight and emotion compared to how they were in the game, or the little details that really made it much easier to invest in Bedivere and Ritsuka than in most of the cast in the Babylonia anime.

Babylonia remains the better anime for me overall, since it took its time and thus its best scenes had a far better delivery, but I'd gladly rewatch Camelot rather than Babylonia.

Babylonia has my bias so I don't have the right to say which is better
    But then saying Babylonia is bad because "it's too safe" is kinda not right when most of its problem comes from Ritsuka original scenes
    Anyway, trying to compare a TV series with a movie series (more budget, more working time, etc) isn't fair from the start

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatsuyae View Post
    But then saying Babylonia is bad because "it's too safe" is kinda not right when most of its problem comes from Ritsuka original scenes
    Anyway, trying to compare a TV series with a movie series (more budget, more working time, etc) isn't fair from the start
    Well Camelot 1 does look worse than Babylonia in a lot of places and had a worse schedule so the comparison is in a weird spot for these movies.

As for it being safe, I did have a discussion with someone and they described interpreting it as less "original content Vs new content" but rather "interesting choices Vs uninteresting choices". Stuff like making Ritsuka a stock shounen hero that was even blander than the game, making the faces more conventionally on model all the time as well as other changes were in service of delivering this "safe" product. Which would make more sense I guess

Blog Entries
    so tired of this meme
    being on model is good and a sign of quality, its not "bad" or "safe and boring"
    going off-model is something that must be done with a clear goal at the appropriate times

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Well they did also praise Emiya Gohan as well as heavens feel and it was never really off model from what I recall of it. I guess it's the expressiveness? A lot of people complained about the anime choosing to go closer to Takeuchi's artstyle and consequently sameface rather than the more significant diversity the Camelot movies had (let's discount the girl's and their tiny ankles). I was never really bothered by it myself and I always thought the characters were expressive, but that might have just been all the Character acting animation doing the heavy lifting

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatsuyae View Post
    More than bad per se it makes it (subjectively) more boring. As I said I do think it's better than Camelot, but the blandness was a really big turn off for a good part of the anime.
    Camelot remains a much bigger mess. But comparing both to the source material, I find more additional value in the movies even if their general quality is much lower. Babylonia felt like it was mostly trying to appeal to anime onlys - which IS a better choice that lead to a better anime, but having already loved the chapter in the game it really left a bad taste in my mouth, as the result was something that didn't feel like either a really great anime nor as enjoyable as it should have been.

While the movies instead went all in with the fanservice and somehow managed to nail the tone for a lot of things I loved in the chapter, and while it could never compare to the Camelot in the game, I like it as side enjoyment that goes along with it - which Babylonia also accomplished, but only for singularly great scenes sparse in a much longer anime.

Then again I'm here shittalking on Babylonia but I also rewatched the scenes I liked more times than I can count lol.

I guess my point is just that I'd like if they tried much more when making these adaptations, and Babylonia choosing the safer options left me a bit annoyed back then, especially as I saw no point in taking no risks when FGO is already so popular. Meanwhile Camelot took risks and in some things was a step in the right direction. If somehow they could combine the greatest strengths of the two I'd already be satisfied.
    Last edited by Kubera; January 16th, 2022 at 01:56 PM.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    I think the problem in the animation department is that it felt very messy, with several styles clashing not just on the characters but also even on backgrounds.
    One second you have the "regular" textured boulders floating in the background and the next everything looks like a flattened chinese drawing. Neither approach looks bad, but the difference is very noticeable and makes it feel like there's no real direction.

However, I think that Camelot 2 is still enjoyable, if nothing else because once the battle in the citadel starts everything gets so bonkers it is always entertaining, but it just lacks a consistent vision for all of it to really stick.
    burn your dread you coward

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    so tired of this meme
    being on model is good and a sign of quality, its not "bad" or "safe and boring"
    going off-model is something that must be done with a clear goal at the appropriate times
    Being on model is good when you can have character expressing themselves clearly and not have an ugly designs in general(something like Kimetsu is like on model 100% of the times but its character art just looks better than babylonia.)

Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    Well they did also praise Emiya Gohan as well as heavens feel and it was never really off model from what I recall of it. I guess it's the expressiveness? A lot of people complained about the anime choosing to go closer to Takeuchi's artstyle and consequently sameface rather than the more significant diversity the Camelot movies had (let's discount the girl's and their tiny ankles). I was never really bothered by it myself and I always thought the characters were expressive, but that might have just been all the Character acting animation doing the heavy lifting
    Emiya Gohan still have a lot of moments like this (https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/49511) and HF while on model it changes styles a lot depending on the animator since Sudo doesn't like correcting other people so you get stuff like (https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/85464) which is works well since i am not a fan of Takeuchi modern faces.

JP Friend Code
    Ask lol
    US Friend Code
    Not as Active, Ask!
    Would a casual be able to just jump into the 2nd movie without the first one?
    Last edited by ALM; January 19th, 2022 at 10:57 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Not in the slightest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

I mean, you COULD. Just as you COULD do pretty much anything. Whether you should, or whether you'll get something out of it will vary entirely depending on your definition of "could", although unless your definition is severely twisted and means something completely different to what it does to everyone else, the answer is no, you can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    Ask lol
    US Friend Code
    Not as Active, Ask!
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Dumb question really.

Was trying to avoid watching #1 again. But like all Fate medium, I would have to explain this and that and this and that.

I was going to ask why you would ask if you've already seen it but I assume you have a friend you're showing it to? In which case I'd say it's even more important to just show them the entire thing and let them decide for themselves whether that was worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    Ask lol
    US Friend Code
    Not as Active, Ask!
    Yeah, exactly. I'm just going to make us sit through it lol.
    Last edited by ALM; January 20th, 2022 at 01:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    It's basically just a series of fight scenes. You get more out of it rereading/watching any of the actually good material featuring the characters than watching the first movie.

For example, the Mordred fight made me a little emotional, because I'm already emotionally invested in Mordred from Apocrypha and her FGO interludes. The first movie barely showed her.

JP Friend Code
    Binged watch both movies. I'd give the first one 5/10 and the 2nd 8/10, to the average of 6.5/10.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Just finished part 2.
    wow i love watching the ashen one fighting the pus of man on lothric castle wall
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

US Friend Code
    https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/...e_round_table/

Translations of the booklet containing short (one page each) things Nasu wrote about the knights. Merlin's is interesting as it gives insight into how Galahad is as a person. He's so pure and clean that he's completely disinterested in helping humanity despite being a Heroic Spirit, the most heartless man Merlin has ever met.