Page 1 of 56 12361151 ... LastLast

Thread: How did YOU get into Type-Moon?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Bargadiel's Avatar

How did YOU get into Type-Moon?

I've always been interested in Anime/Games and stuff, so I ended up watching the Fate anime and thinking it was cool and all, but didn't think much else of it for awhile. But maybe about 4-5 years ago, one of my Japanese friends from Canada got me into playing Melty Blood AC for PC. At the time, I didn't know who any of the characters were and the game was obviously in Japanese, but I really enjoyed the attacks they used, the concepts behind them, and the characters. It wasn't long before I got my hands on the Tsukihime manga; a masterpiece, and of course had to buy all the volumes. To this day it is still my favorite comic. Then, I did some research and found out that somehow Tsukihime/MB was related to Fate. I couldn't believe it. And this was when I began reading the visual novels, starting with Tsukihime then reading Fate in it's entirety a year or so later. Maybe 2 years ago I got into KnK, and it wasn't until 1 year ago that I began reading Fate/Zero, which I honestly appreciate as a story more than Fate/Stay Night.

Overall, I have to say I love Fate the most. I've always been interested in history and mythology/fantasy, and to see the two come together in a story like this was amazing. The stories were well executed and the drama was solid, and something I could actually relate to at times. But most of all Character Design and story conceptualization is very important to me, as well as scene coordination, and just seeing what Type-Moon could do is what gave me the final push to my major in Computer Animation. These days I really haven't gotten into any "new" kinds of anime, ironically especially since I've traveled to Japan myself (but there have been a few gems here and there). But for the most part, alot of what's new seems kind of bland next to this amazing universe Nasu has set up. I do like Touhou Project though and consider myself kind of a fanboy to it, just not as much as Type-Moon. TM is pretty much my favorite thing in this world. :x

Ahh I forgot to mention that these were the first visual novel experiences I had. I thought it to be a very unique way to tell a story, and despite the H scenes was very well done. Also you reminded me that Nasu did do Scifi, since when I read Angel Notes it was pretty crazy to think that it came from the same writer, it's a great concept.

Blog Entries
    The Tsukihime manga was the first thing I read. After that I read the VN, then watched FSN the anime and the UBW movie, and finally read the Fate/Stay Night VN. I've also read part of DDD's 1st chapter (About half of it) and have yet to read Notes or KnK.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bargadiel View Post
    Ahh I forgot to mention that these were the first visual novel experiences I had. I thought it to be a very unique way to tell a story, and despite the H scenes was very well done. Also you reminded me that Nasu did do Scifi, since when I read Angel Notes it was pretty crazy to think that it came from the same writer, it's a great concept.
    The coolest thing about it, IMO, is that the sci-fi-ish world of Notes is technically still a continuation of the magic/fantasy-based contemporary Nasuverse. It's cool!

I've still never watched any of the anime except for the latest UBW movie and the Rakkyo movies. Super excited for the Zero anime, because ufotable and not DEEN is doing it.

How did I get into the Nasuverse? It came to me in a dream!

Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    The coolest thing about it, IMO, is that the sci-fi-ish world of Notes is technically still a continuation of the magic/fantasy-based contemporary Nasuverse. It's cool!
    Yep, it makes us realize that all the stories and characters we knew up until now are long gone. Or are they...? At least that's why I love it. It would be crazy if Arc was somehow still alive...or who those witches are? What happened to Shiki, Aoko, etc... Not to mention the story in itself is very unique, establishing it's own races.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoster View Post
    How did I get into the Nasuverse? It came to me in a dream!
    Oh lawd.

A full-scale novel from Notes would be one badass read.
    Imagine Ado Edem actually doing something ON PANEL! All we hear are rumors and databook texts. Despite the fact he was like the secondary protagonist of the short novel.

It was the Melty Blood manga that got me into Type Moon. I remember seeing it while trawling things, and liked it. After I read through it, I realized that it was a sequel to Tsukihime and set out to play that so I could better understand the things I had seen. Things kind of spiraled after that. I quickly ran through KT and then kind of petered off in disappointment when I thought there was nothing else.

Then a friend of mine lent me his box Set of Fate.

The first episode wasn't even finished when I heard familiar terms and leaped online to discover it was part of the same world. I ended up watching through the series 3-4 times before returning it to my friend and playing through the VN.

It was two years ago, near the tail end of my summer vacation. I had pretty much nothing to do right then, and I had already been binging on various anime and manga series, to the point where I was once again needing something new and interesting, so I recalled having seen references to Fate and thinkning, "well, it seems interesting enough, I guess I'll give it a look". So I downloaded it. And started reading it.

And kept reading it for the next three to four days until I had plowed straight through all three routes, all bad ends, and more or less had all CGs.

I immediately thereafter went looking for Tsukihime (took the rest of the week and a few more days), then the PlusDisc and Kagetsu Tohya, before ending up for the first time at the Beast's Lair when looking for fan fiction and more stories.

Basically, after I finished Fate, I latched onto the 'verse and refused to let go. It sparked my interest in visual novels and can actually be said to be the first case where I became really involved in any sort of fandom.

I haven't regretted it so far.

I honestly do not even remember how I got interested in TYPE-MOON at this point. I got into the fandom before the Tsukihime translation was complete, though, and had fun screaming MESSSSAAAAGGGGGEEEE at the right times.

I think it mostly had to do with Evo's Moonlit World site, though.

Sandalphon's worst nightmare AstralSword's Avatar
    I got to know Type-Moon by watching what is now considered the non-existant Tsukihime anime. I really liked it because it felt serious and interestimg to a point that made me look into it.

That's when I found out there was a game and I played it. Fell in love with Nasu's work and started looking after everything available in english. Now I am finally taking japanese classes, so I hope to read his novels right away (while, of couse, stop being a mindless leecher and actually helping translate his stuff).

It was like 3 years or so, it's kinda awkward to say but the first thing I saw from Type-Moon was the Tsukihime anime. After finshing it I was like "Hmm, I want more history" at that time I had have seen many images of the Tsukihime VN so I ended up trying it. Then read Tsukihime. I read it and fell in love with the characters. Afterwards I started with the rest of the Anime and VNs and Novels till this day.

I'm fascinated by the connections and relationships between the T-M characters aka Nasuverse.

Blog Entries
    I discovered Type-Moon while browsing the TV Tropes anime recs and coming across the Fate anime, which looked pretty cool. Got the anime, watched it, and assumed that that was all there was. By coincidence, I was browsing the Something Awful Let's Play forums, and came across the LP of Fate when it was finishing up UBW. I looked at it, and pretty much thought "what the hell is all this text?" and pretty much ignored it for a few weeks, and then came back to it and realized it was pretty good. While that was going, I started reading the Tsukihime LP, and it pretty much snowballed from there. I think I got pointed to BL through fanfic recs.

I was interested in Visual Novels, simply enough. I was trying to find good English translated ones and most of what I was getting was really low-budget cheesy doujin titles. Then I heard about Tsukihime, which was fully translated and apparently a doujin title that had the production values of a commercial game and a great story. Gave it a shot, and the rest is history. Loved and finished Tsukihime, went right onto Fate/stay night (only Fate and UBW were translated at the time), and wound up loving F/SN even more than Tsukihime (which is saying a lot), and then proceeded to devour anything Type-Moon that happened to be translated. Which I still do, whenever something is newly translated.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pretty much the same as Gilgamesh, except UBW wasn't translated so I got to scream MESSAAAAAAGE for a few months.

A good four or five years ago an acquaintance from the Internet told me about the Tsukihime VN, so I got it, patched it and tried to read it, but something came up and I didn't even finish Arc's route, had to uninstall it and forgot about it, some time after that I came across the "Emiya" BGM from Fate/Stay Night, I just knew I needed context for it so I watched the Fate/Stay Night anime and liked it a lot, then I heard that Fate/Stay Night was set in the same universe as Tsukihime and read Tsukihime, then I read Fate/Stay Night, played Melty Blood: Act Cadenza (PS2) and Fate/Unlimited Codes, by then I just knew that I'd follow Type-Moon works in general and watched Canaan and the Kara no Kyokai movies. I'm looking forward to the Fate/Zero anime and the translation patch for Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, this was my desktop way back in 2005:

In short, I got into Melty Blood for a short time, then stopped. Picked it up again in 2007... stopped again. Picked it up a third time in 2009 and it finally stuck thanks to Actress Again. I then went back and played Tsukihime, Kagetsu Tohya, and Fate/Stay Night. ...Now hopefully that Hollow Ataraxia translation happens. Someday.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

JP Friend Code
    Some years ago I saw something that could be called anime following some definitions, called Tsukihime. Got interested, and searching for info got across Moonlit World, where I discovered it was based on some kind of game. It would be only some years later though that finally got to get said game, and only actually started playing after getting engrossed with the MB demo in KT. After that got completely blown apart. Discovered Beast Lair searching for everything I could get my hands on of the nasuverse (loved Notes), and played Fate (it was only a week or so before UBW finally got out, so I didn't got to scream MESSAAAAAAGE).
    And so here I am, and is probably thanks to this (well, the previous) forum that I still am so interested in the nasuverse.

My case is pretty similar to Mazyrian's. I found this interesting looking anime called Tsukihime. It turns out that it had the same name as a popular doujin visual novel (Unfortunantly, there is no Tsukihime anime, at least not based on the visual novel). I found a translation and quickly became engrossed in the world of Type-Moon. Later I watched the Fate/stay night anime. It was decent, but I kept hearing great things about the visual novel. Lucky, the Fate route was just recently translated so started reading it shortly after watching the anime. Unfortunantly, MESSAAAAGEEE was so slow in making the UBW installer. But through Mirror Moon, I was able to find the Beast's Lair.

Back in the 2008, I found a custom MUGEN game that had some Melty Blood characters. I really liked the design of the characters (typical anime design, which is a good thing, for me at least). There was Aoko, Sion, Shiki; there was also an Arcueid edit called Dark Arcueid and Warcueid. Then I realized there was an anime of it, but I didn't watch it, I wasn't such a big fan back then. Then I got MBAC for PS2. But then, I needed to pick a character to practice with, after practicing with the characters for some time I chose Arcueid; I just thought she was pretty and cool, not to mention that I loved her voice (the MUGEN Arcueid characters didn't have voice, except Warc). I also read a couple of chapters of the Tsukihime manga, yes, I thought it was a pretty beautiful and touching story. Then I got Tsukihime for GBA, caught up with the manga, read Talk, Prelude, Tsukihime Prologue and read the translations of the Tsukihime VN online; but I couldn't finish Arc's route (I only watched her good end), I was horribly depressed by that point (when I realized how the story was going to end) like never before, and I didn't want the Tsukihime manga to end in the same way. A couple of months later I downloaded and finished Tsukihime, and even then her true end made me shed more than a few tears. I also managed to almost completely master her combos and gimmicks in MBAC, to the point that I could manage to score 99 wins in Survival Mode (with over 11000000 of score) without much problems, deal 38 hits with a wallslam combo from one end to the other (with over 5800 in damage), etc. Same for MBAA (though to a lower extent, since I couldn't manage to master her hardest combinations). Though, it was a pity that I couldn't play with someone of similar skills.

That's all, a year ago I finished Kagetsu Tohya and Angel Notes. Then I played Fate and read Fate Zero.