Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that you love in TM

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LightUnite View Post
    I think one of the things I love about TM, or at least the Fate franchise, is how huge and expansive the multiverse is, and also how it's taken some relatively obscure mythological heroes and made them far more popular and well-known proportionally. Like, honestly, how many of us knew who Cu Chulainn was before we were introduced to him in FSN? Because I certainly wasn't one of those people.
    Cu wasn't that obscure, though his popularity increased astronomically outside Ireland as a result of FSN for sure. Diarmuid was obscure, as were quite a few Apo heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Cu wasn't that obscure, though his popularity increased astronomically outside Ireland as a result of FSN for sure. Diarmuid was obscure, as were quite a few Apo heroes.
    Would you believe me if I told you that the only heroes I wasn't familiar with from Apocrypha were Semiramis, Astolfo, Amakusa Shirou, and Karna? Like, I mean it when I say that I had heard of the stories of all the other heroes? At least to a shallow degree?

Would you believe me if I told you that the only heroes I wasn't familiar with from Apocrypha were Semiramis, Astolfo, Amakusa Shirou, and Karna? Like, I mean it when I say that I had heard of the stories of all the other heroes? At least to a shallow degree?
    Actually yes. The ones I hadn't heard of were Astolfo, Semiramis, and Avicebron. The rest I knew, Karna from a particularly early age.

US Friend Code
    Makes sense, Chiron, Achilles, and Atalanta are popular figures in Greek mythology and western society has always had an interest in Greece. Vlad III, Siegfried, Mordred, Jeanne, Spartacus, Jack the Ripper, and Frankenstien are all popular figures in there own right depending on the type of media. Everyone and their mother knows the name William Shakespeare. Frankly I'm most surprised that you knew Avicebron, he's not someone I would call well known
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    I love the old glory. You know it.

Memes aside, the fact that Tsukihime Remake is taking so long is paradoxically giving me confidence in Nasu. Rather than questioning if remaking a classic within a dead medium is a problem, and whether Tsukihime of old is anywhere close to the heart of Kinoko today, this seems like an unstated acknowledgement of the obvious problems that exist. Either a new take on Tsukihime will be done after dedicating a lot of time and thinking to it, or let it not be done at all, and let the old glory rest unstained. If they announced a Tsukihime Remake and then spat it out in two years and it was anything other than a literal sprite and CG update, now that would be a bad thing.

I like Nasu's writing when it's not a tried and structured Kubo-esque fighting scene where the word 'yet' is used twenty times. I like him when he's poetic. It's also great that the most poetic things he ever wrote (eg. leadup to HF neutral ending) are hidden pretty well, and not really all that popular in the fandom, so you can feel elitist about remembering them.
    Last edited by Ratman; September 12th, 2018 at 05:14 PM.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    TM generally, rather than the mushroom alone.

I guess the sprawling and expanding knowledge of the setting and how it all more or less works. From myth and legend to the future, the structure of Earth and the universe, how magic works. Somehow I vaguely follow it whether it's prodding at philosophical ideas or scientific parallels.
    One wonders how much they just made up just now and how much was more or less put in place by that mushroom long ago.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Hen_Ichi View Post
    TM generally, rather than the mushroom alone.

I guess the sprawling and expanding knowledge of the setting and how it all more or less works. From myth and legend to the future, the structure of Earth and the universe, how magic works. Somehow I vaguely follow it whether it's prodding at philosophical ideas or scientific parallels.
    One wonders how much they just made up just now and how much was more or less put in place by that mushroom long ago.
    Agreed.

Thirded. The environment doesn't seem small or stagnant like other multi-setting series, Soy Wars being the most obvious offender.
    Case Files proves to me you can expand the universe in any way you want as long as it's done well, and that's great.

Seriously, no matter what bad things you may say about Nasu, you have to admit he does deserve credit for engineering this whole idea in his head for several years and then putting it down in writing later to create a wildly successful franchise.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Seriously, no matter what bad things you may say about Nasu, you have to admit he does deserve credit for engineering this whole idea in his head for several years and then putting it down in writing later to create a wildly successful franchise.
    most of that credit goes to takeuchi
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    most of that credit goes to takeuchi
    Really? I thought he was the business/art guy? Well, the more you know...At least the idea was Nasu's?

US Friend Code
    Wasn’t their an interview somewhere of Nasu saying he wish to build the franchise that it would go on without him if he would ever past or just go away or something? I forget the specifics
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Nasu created the world, but it was Takeuchi that gave him the motivation to do more than be a DM for a circle of friends and basically became his producer

Okay, that makes sense. Still have to give credit to Nasu for this entire multiverse, even if Takeuchi got it going.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries

I love these bastards.

Take-kun, give Nasuchhi more of your Schwarz.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Cu wasn't that obscure, though his popularity increased astronomically outside Ireland as a result of FSN for sure.
    Pfft, I say. The first reference to Cú Chulainn in popular culture I remember seeing was in "Gargoyles".

JP Friend Code
    I think one of the things I love about TM, or at least the Fate franchise, is how huge and expansive the multiverse is, and also how it's taken some relatively obscure mythological heroes and made them far more popular and well-known proportionally. Like, honestly, how many of us knew who Cu Chulainn was before we were introduced to him in FSN? Because I certainly wasn't one of those people.
    I knew Cu from playing SMT series and YGO. "Cu Chulainn the Awakened" was one of the first cards I pulled from packs and he was very strong back then with his effect. I did research on those.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Pfft, I say. The first reference to Cú Chulainn in popular culture I remember seeing was in "Gargoyles".
    Not disputing that. I'm just saying FSN gave it an even greater shot in the arm. Besides, I never watched Gargoyles when I was younger.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    I would not actually say that much. In Japan he or inspirations from him regularly appear in RPGs and his myth in Western countries has always been hit or miss usually based on what you studied in school and how related to Ireland you are.

Small brain: I played SMT to learn about Irish heroes
    Big brain: I listened to Irish meme-rap to learn about Irish heroes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNFfDirBE6w