Page 101 of 617 FirstFirst ... 51919699100101102103106111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 12332

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Define "waifu discussion" first.
    That would be challenging. Also, it'd require going through a backlog.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    You just praised anything about Karate Kid 2010, your opinion is automatically null and void. :P

Seriously though, the humor and how it works always will depend on the characters involved. The Guardians of the Galaxy making quips and wisecracks during situations of danger and imminent doom makes sense because they're hardened, callous to some degree or another, characters who can believably take heavy things lightly. Someone like Superman, on the other hand, being much more of a moralist and traditionally minded straight arrow, shouldn't be making fun light comments as long as there's an imminent threat to everyone he should be taking care of. He would think that kind of banter is out of place when there are more important and serious things to worry about, but wouldn't mind ribbing Lex Luthor once the danger has passed and he's flying him away to the jail, or having a light conversation with Lois after the fact.

Someone grimly serious like Batman wouldn't quip that much at any point (although several incarnations of Batman do have their own brands of dark dry humor about them) but they still can be the butt of the joke because often it's funnier the more serious the person things are happening to is.

In Fate, most Servants, by definition, are larger than life figures who already have trascended beyond us. For them, our conflicts are the kind of trivial trifle a demi-god would look down at. Granted, the Human History Incineration takes this to a whole new level when compared to mere Grail Wars, but still, a Servant is by nature detached enough as to amusedly comment on the happenings and their own larger than life desires as they navigate through danger, more often than not. They are supposed to be just that big, of sorts.
    No U... XP

The bolded is in essence the kind of expectation I have. Yes, I get Servants are very powerful figures... but they surely had a personality with particular dispositions before they became Servants. That's what I am essentially yapping on; the Servants rendered into the story feel out of character. No matter how great a hero is, you don't expect some things from them. Expecting Robin Hood, Hector or even Nick T to sound the way they do is not a problem when you take into account the kind of person they were. But when you get to the big names who were known for being either violent or sober, their light hearted takes on a catastrophe seem uncharacteristic and I might even say, unbecoming of the legend they represent IRL.

Basically, it feels like FGO is a case of moeification: The figures don't act more or less like the real deal, with a few caveats here and there, and instead come across as original characters with a big name slapped on them. It's jarring, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    ^Yes. Jokes in dire situations are not inherently bad if it's within the personality of the character who made that joke. Heck it would be completely out of character for those type of chars who will laugh and troll in dire situations to not make a joke. Remind me of Goro Majima in Ryu ga Gotoku series, the guy can crack a joke or do some funky shit right in the middle of a dire situation such as dismantling a freaking bomb, and everyone knew that would happen since that's a must for his character.
    Thing is, at least the way she acts in Extra and all other games, Nero is hysterically out of character.

Worse still, bloody Bouda... My god, the amount of complaints I have about her skyrockets each time I bring her up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    whether you're the type who disassembles their cheeseburger to separate the parts they want from the parts they don't, or the type who just eats it as-is - it's still junk food
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Why wouldn't you just order your cheeseburger how you want it in the first place???
    Because "The Hangover" wasn't available in the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    Then bring up an example where FGO makes jokes during serious moments againts the big bad, that is not during events that set it’s tone to comical from the start.

Because saying that they have to be serious all the time because humanity is gone in the background IS forcing grimdark. It’s like saying characters like spiderman can’t ever make quips because there is always someone in danger out there and he has no time to be funny because with great power comes great responsibility.
    When the comedic events are treated as a main dish and not an omake "this is not really cannon, it's just behind the scenes horsing around" where they should stay.

Spiderman makes quips and the like when the threat is neutralized, not with the threat out there. Even when he does, it's often an appropriate short line. This might be a Japan problem though. For strange reasons, Japanese characters like monologue in the middle of a battle. It's kind of made me wish for a serious hero to take advantage of someone going on a rant only for them to lose their head as they are attacked whenever they take a break.

- - - Updated - - -

Have some mercy for the people who have to prepare it.
    Fuddrucker's trumps Five Guys Soggyburgers for a good reason...

US Friend Code
    Boudica is fine, nothing about her character is really out of line. The only thing that I see having complaints about is her design. Thats about it
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Boudica is fine, nothing about her character is really out of line. The only thing that I see having complaints about is her design. Thats about it
    Sister figure? Really? She was a murderous witch and a mother. None of which fit the current "she's a nice girl" disposition we see her have when she shows up...

Another complaint: I hate her VA and every character she voices. I cannot wish for the end of her career fast enough.

US Friend Code
    When was Boudica a witch? That never happened, and beside the One-san character type that Boudica has is more motherly, just not literally since she's not trying to establish a blood connection. Her as a nice girl is all about being a protective mother figure.

anywhere than here

When was Boudica a witch? That never happened, and beside the One-san character type that Boudica has is more motherly, just not literally since she's not trying to establish a blood connection. Her as a nice girl is all about being a protective mother figure.
    Killing everyone in London was very haggish of her...

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Have some mercy for the people who have to prepare it.
    "Cheeseburger without pickles" would be slightly easier than "cheeseburger", I thought.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    Thing is, at least the way she acts in Extra and all other games, Nero is hysterically out of character.
    Extra is her debut game so idk how you can say she is out of character when that game itself is when her character is established in the first place. She is only out of character when you look at her with your expectations for some historically accurate Nero. Considering her airhead and bright personality that Nasu chose to go with, she did not act out of character any time, even in Extella and FGO where they made the big mistake of pushing "praise me 24/7" too far.

US Friend Code
    Killing everyone in London was very haggish of her...
    That isn't really the definition of a witch though. She's an avenger yeah, but they do address why she isn't like that in her current class. Plus there's always two sides of things. When Boudicca was rediscovered in the Victorian era, how she was seen as a symbol was more closer that how she is portrayed as a Servant now then what the Romans portrayed her in the least.

anywhere than here

Extra is her debut game so idk how you can say she is out of character when that game itself is when her character is established in the first place. She is only out of character when you look at her with your expectations for some historically accurate Nero. Considering her airhead and bright personality that Nasu chose to go with, she did not act out of character any time, even in Extella and FGO where they made the big mistake of pushing "praise me 24/7" too far.
    Yeah, that might be the origin of my gripes. I am not arguing for one hundred percent historical accuracy, but they could make Saber and Lancer that had believable personalities. Couldn't they follow similar development plans for the other heroes.

Again, I hate to bring the Riordan card in (only for this post) but the gods and mythological figures there weren't perfectly accurate representations, but they had mostly realistic personalities that one could take for actual personalities. Seeing Heracles as narcissistic and self centered wasn't terribly tone deaf because it was possible the guy was really that way. The problem is when the personality in legends and the story clash rather than complement each other.

- - - Updated - - -

That isn't really the definition of a witch though. She's an avenger yeah, but they do address why she isn't like that in her current class. Plus there's always two sides of things. When Boudicca was rediscovered in the Victorian era, how she was seen as a symbol was more closer that how she is portrayed as a Servant now then what the Romans portrayed her in the least.
    I used the allegorical version. I was not referring to Bouda as a witch. I was referring to her as a murderous bitch who needed enraged Romans to hang her upside down and kill her by smacking her in the face with a wooden club.

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    If Servants acted exactly the way they behaved in their original stories or real life, more than half of them would just tell Guda to go fuck off. They'd either leave to do things their own way (and let's be honest, Command Spells are consistently a very frail leash, much moreso when you have to deal with several Servants at once), or sit down and say "Are you fucking nuts, I'm just Hans Christian Andersen/Florence Nightingale/William Shakespeare, what do I even know about fighting?!'

Basically, if Servants behaved the way they were supposed to behave in their original stories there would be no Fate at all. The 'real' King Arthur seen in pretty much any other canon ever would never put up with Kiritsugu or Shirou's shit. If one can't accept these changes are necessary to have the story happening at all (and keeping in mind most Servants aren't actually the real deals, but copies brought from what they mean as archetypes to mankind), why is one going through Fate in the first place? It's like watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail and complaining about accuracy to the Arthurian myth, really.

But when you get to the big names who were known for being either violent or sober, their light hearted takes on a catastrophe seem uncharacteristic
    Most characters who are stoic and sober or growling lunatics stay that way, though.

Geronimo generally stays all serious and formal.

Vlad Tepes is overall fierce and serious in combat, and while he can have a sillier side to him otherwise, even in his legend he's often portrayed as having a very dark and deadly sense of humor about him.

Scatatch is more The Comically Serious than anything else.

And so on. Generally the goofier characters like Liz Bathory, Edison, or Astolfo are those who already were bonafide eccentric in their source material.

Another complaint: I hate her VA and every character she voices. I cannot wish for the end of her career fast enough.
    Wow, wishing misery and career ruin on someone just because you don't like their voice and the characters they've voiced (characters others have created and written for, by the way). My personal opinion on you has really improved a whole freaking lot.

I'd bet you're already like wishing death upon half of us by now, too.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    "Cheeseburger without pickles" would be slightly easier than "cheeseburger", I thought.
    You would think that, but any "special order", even ones as simple as that, are an extra worry on the guy who has to prepare it's head, and I guarantee you he'll be plenty harried already, especially in a fast food joint.

That said, I was talking more along the lines of "I want my burger dissected and the ingredients sorted in order of most calories to least", rather than just "hold the mayo".
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Why wouldn't you just order your cheeseburger how you want it in the first place???
    Because when I cook mine I can season them perfectly!

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    stuff
    So your complaints aren't even about FGO's tone, you just don't like how Fate interprets historical figures while including anime tropes. Which is fine, I guess, but a very strange opinion to have regarding a otaku franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Actually, it's usually not. Mostly because eventually you just start doing stuff unconsciously so when someone makes a special order it actually requires you to stop and think about what you're doing, because otherwise you'll just start putting together the cheeseburger and 5 minutes after you sent it out you realize it wasn't supposed to have pickles.
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    Great, now this thread made me hungry.

*googles Boudica's VA*

CHIWA SAITO?!? Now I really want Avenger Boudica.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    VERY unpopular opinion...

Fate/Grand Order should've been a AAA RPG created by Square Enix or Bamco...

Another two:

1. F/GO designs are a disgrace to most of the characters (dressing ancient heroes, who either dressed modestly or bared everything in non glamorous ways, like beef and cheese cakes and pole dancers? Really. I was willing to allow leeway for Scath, since her outfit was still somewhat modest, but when they started going full on anachronistic or just plain silly, like Captain Leomerica, they crossed the line) and should be redesigned to be somewhat more serious.

2. Nasu should Westernize and not pander to the Sankaku-otaku crew obsessed with t's, a's, h's and yuri. FSN was a novel with mature content, not effing nukige... pandering to Otaku's will only lead to most of the world seeing the few of us who like it for what it could've been rather than what it is look as bad as the people who go "Seiba Nero waifu best girl"...

Seriously, am I the only one Nasu had the potential to go full Harry Potter with this if he had opted to sell movie rights in the West and gone with a more serious, yet ironically less somber, setting?

It's basically a Nitro themed verse as it is (basically, a bloody awful horror setting with cutesy moeblob characters acting silly in between destroying abominations with overpowered SRW ripoff attacks, jokes and themes, with the occasional serious subplot or figure getting leftover attention rather than being the main plot of the story). There's a reason most fiction is HFY material in the Western world: we don't want to effing die, and fiction writers should ultimately keep the future of civilization being secured in mind as the one "unforgivable" goal even when they are writing horror. Case in point: Call of Cthulhu did not end with the world destroyed, even if the heroes had to give up their own lives for the greater good.

Well, this also reminded me of one thing: that RWBY skipped a bullet when Monty died, because the work was heading down the same "otaku fuel" path he often praised, and his death meant the story would have to take itself more seriously from there on in.
    Okay.

I mostly loathe the way the nasuverse expanded after fate, and I also dont particularly like its slow descent into a comfortable plot and pander routine with fanservice and silly dumb bullshit and one dimensional characters up the ass.

But I would still VASTLY prefer the current state of things over the uninspired dreck you're describing here.

Modesty? Westernise? Mature content? "Redesigned to be somewhat more serious"? "Full Harry Potter"? "Nitro themed verse"? "Movie rights to the West"? "HFY"?

It's like you chose the words that would hurt me most. Goddamn I didn't know I could be angered this way.

- - - Updated - - -

also most AAA JRPGs suck

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    But I would still VASTLY prefer the current state of things over the uninspired dreck you're describing here.

Modesty? Westernise? Mature content? "Redesigned to be somewhat more serious"? "Full Harry Potter"? "Nitro themed verse"? "Movie rights to the West"? "HFY"?

It's like you chose the words that would hurt me most. Goddamn I didn't know I could be angered this way.
    I like you.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Okay.

I mostly loathe the way the nasuverse expanded after fate, and I also dont particularly like its slow descent into a comfortable plot and pander routine with fanservice and silly dumb bullshit and one dimensional characters up the ass.

- - - Updated - - -

also most AAA JRPGs suck
    I have to agree with Bloble. Especially on the "Westernize" bit. Western designers feel less...imaginative I'd say compared to Japanese designers.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Name one instance where waifu discussion is brought up in the main story
    Any time Mikon or Kiyohime show up. There's also the literal Bride character.

also most AAA JRPGs suck
    There havn't really been many AAA JRPGs for a while though. Most series have turned towards the action-RPG style recently. Off the top of my head I can only name Persona 5, Dragon Quest and Octopath. The last Final Fantasy to be a classic RPG was X and that was 2001.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.