Page 11 of 617 FirstFirst ... 6910111213162161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    If you like incredibly hamfisted social media commentary from someone who clearly has no clue about social media, you might like it.

Well, I do like what he's doing in Strange Fake, though there doesn't seem to be an uniting theme or a reason for things to happen or anything. But man, these people who do cool things sure are cool.
    Last edited by Ratman; September 13th, 2018 at 08:57 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    If you like incredibly hamfisted social media commentary from someone who clearly has no clue about social media, you might like it.
    What did he try to shove down the reader's throat?

For one, DRRR LN was first released on 2004, and probs was planned far before, way before twitter or the mainstream social media we known today exist. The problem is, the anime adaptation make it so the story was set in around 2010 (notice the smartphone and stuff), when social media has changed much since 2004, the time when Narita originally planned his story to be set in.

But the main focus of DRRR was not social media anyway, so if you interpret it that way, okay.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    What did he try to shove down the reader's throat?
    The anime covers most of it. The important bits, anyway.

It's like, it seems he tried to do something something like yakuza and facebook are similar because people can organize under the table, isn't it interesting how easy it is to perform crime and slip into moral ambiguity with the internet. The actual moral of Mikado and Izaya's arcs is 'we live in a society'. If that doesn't tell you everything, I don't know what will.

like Mikado literally goes insane and shoots himself over the fact that people can do bad things in the society because that's not what he made facebook for
    Last edited by Ratman; September 13th, 2018 at 09:49 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    The anime covers most of it. The important bits, anyway.

It's like, it seems he tried to do something something like yakuza and facebook are similar because people can organize under the table, isn't it interesting how easy it is to perform crime and slip into moral ambiguity with the internet. The actual moral of Mikado and Izaya's arcs is 'we live in a society'. If that doesn't tell you everything, I don't know what will.
    So he tried to tie in a theme about how we should socialize more face-to-face with "the Internet allows you to do crimes easier?"

Pretty insulting.

like Mikado literally goes insane and shoots himself over the fact that people can do bad things in the society because that's not what he made facebook for
    The Dollars (or whatevs it is) is more like 4chan than Facebook but, okay.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    So he tried to tie in a theme about how we should socialize more face-to-face with "the Internet allows you to do crimes easier?"

Pretty insulting.
    Spoiler:
    As the story progresses, Dollars basically starts getting hijacked, and as its members become involved in the gang war, it practically slowly becomes a crime gang in of itself. Zuckerberg hates this and goes around places banhammering and punching people because he wanted to create myspace but created /pol/ instead.

This does not really work out, so he does his best to ruin the gang and crash the site at the end, hoping that the memory of what Dollars was for like the first year or however long would inspire people.

I guess you could talk about the 'ideal is immaterial and only the dead can be saints' and stuff, but it looks more like Narita himself trying to reconcile the themes he set out for himself being directly opposed and making about as much sense as the protagonist.

- The Waver/Iskandar scenes were some of the worst parts of Fate/Zero, I couldn't bring myself to care for either of them or their predictable relationship/development and actually thought that Deen/Stay Night Shirou was more bearable than Waver.

- The Kirei vs Kerry fight was pretty meh and ended in a pretty anti-climactic way

- Some of the Nasuverse jargon/magic abilities are actually purposeful to the story/characters and are used in a pretty neat way that enhances certain themes or represents certain symbols/parallels (mostly in the case of FSN) rather than coming off as mere extra fluff or "world building" material. Yet, a lot of folks still only look at them at face value or only use them for pointless power level discussions.

- The Lancer/Assassin "filler" fight in Presage flower was the worst part of the movie.

- I prefer the "Answer" scene from the UBW movie compared to Ufotable's version, part of the reason being that scene actually felt cathartic which is what a climax should feel like.

- Both Tamamo's design and character are complete garbage.

- I couldn't care less about Strange Fake

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    Heaven's Feel has good pacing

the Oath Under Snow movie is a drag
    Really? I mean I get that this is an unpopular opinion thread and all that but I find it hard to believe that someone who thinks HF has good pacing think that the OUS movie would feel slow. Even comparing only the movies and watching them back to back, OUS felt like a rocket ship after going through Presage Flower's deliberately slow, creeping pacing.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I think you got unpopular opinions covered. Also, I'm pretty sure your opinion about jargon isn't that unpopular here.

Quote Originally Posted by GarlandGreene View Post
    Really? I mean I get that this is an unpopular opinion thread and all that but I find it hard to believe that someone who thinks HF has good pacing think that the OUS movie would feel slow. Even comparing only the movies and watching them back to back, OUS felt like a rocket ship after going through Presage Flower's deliberately slow, creeping pacing.
    I'm only talking about the route. I liked the way the first half of presage flower was paced, but from Sakura giving Saber the scold onwards, it felt like a compilation movie. I also dislike the highway battle. I'm not sure whether I dislike it more than the way the climax was handled, because it eschewed the dire feel the scene had in the VN and went for epic scene comp and scoring. I'd have been all for presage flower being more like the first half's slower pace if it's as well directed and if it has the occasional peaks like the park fight and the eventual Ryuudou Temple confrontation. I don't necessarily hate OUS' pacing, it was just an un-engaging movie for me from audio and visual standpoints. It definitely ties into lack of investment, since I kinda care about Miyu, but not many other characters in 3rei. I was eager to like Miyuverse Shirou and he was just HF Shirou lite. I think that my love for Heaven's Feel affects my disinterest in Oath Under Snow, since I don't find it does anything interesting with Shirou that Heaven's Feel didn't already do, it just does it in a more shounen way (at least in my eyes).

On the topic of Heaven's Feel as a route, I think it's well paced because of how it balances the exciting scenes with the setup scenes and how it blurs the line between them in ways Fate and UBW didn't. Downtime in the first two routes was reflective as in HF, but the goal was always something identifiable. In HF, there's a lot going on and it never lets up. UBW focused on one thread and split into more as the climax approached, whereas HF had various lines that would later intersect, even if Sakura was the through line. I'm aware that I'm almost certainly oversimplifying UBW, and I certainly don't mean to undersell it, but its structure felt exhausting and it failed to keep my attention the way HF did. I also felt the cooking scenes worked nicely due to the thematic connection to Sakura, on top of what I mentioned in my first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I see. Well, personally, I'll have to actually read the HF route first before I make any judgement, but I actually liked all the parts of UBW and its entire structure. Also, highway fight was my favorite part of Presage Flower, especially the score and well, Cu.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Saber is short, but she's still got a fully developed adult body.* Whether you find her hot or cute or neither, a loli she ain't. Stop mislabeling.
    Yes, I did in fact skip two pages to toss my hat in that argument.

*maybe not as "full" as it could otherwise have developed, but then again that might just be Rhongobongo's sideffect.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    "Fully developed adult body"

Dude shirou directly states that she's younger then him in appearance.

How many 15 year olds have you met that are fully developed?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    According to that Disgaea art book, one reaches adult height at 16.

Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    "Fully developed adult body"

Dude shirou directly states that she's younger then him in appearance.

How many 15 year olds have you met that are fully developed?
    Girls? Many, if not most. Some can keep getting taller up to 20, but they're still more or less fully developed by 16. They certainly ain't loli.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; September 14th, 2018 at 08:25 AM.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Jeanne is pretty developed (chest)
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    According to that Disgaea art book, one reaches adult height at 16.
    The hell does disgaea have to do with Fate?

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Urameshi Yūsuke View Post
    The hell does disgaea have to do with Fate?
    Wu.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Well, people thought Fate/Extra was grindy, and then Afternoon of Darkness came out and said "that was cute".
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Wu.
    Wu-who?