Page 343 of 617 FirstFirst ... 243293333338341342343344345348353393443 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,860 of 12332

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Fundamentally I feel like part of my issue is that nasu's 'high concept' or 'thematics' is that due to him also doing otaku/weeb bait it feels inherently dishonest, as nasu's high concept or ideas go against what the weeb/otaku type people actually want and who he does that bait for.

Plus nasu 'high concept' doesn't hold up under scrutiny either way but still.
    That's just the nature of the business and industry. Even series like Evangelion that basically gave a giant middle finger to its otaku/weeb fanbase with its finale has become one of the most profitable series among said otaku/weeb audience with a metric ton of merchandising being sold about it. Does it diminish its message and themes that it's trying to communicate? Perhaps a little, I mean you'd be hard-pressed to find a Catcher in the Rye themed pencil case sold at your local store. Still that's just how things are and companies don't typically refuse an opportunity to make a lot money when they are presented with one.

Admittedly, shoving some of those 'high concept' elements into FGO just don't feel right (especially when half of your characters look like they came straight out of a bunch of different hentai doujins). It's like trying to tell a story about the Holocaust with the cast of K-ON, to quote the main character from legendary anime Hand Shakers:

Spoiler:

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    reading evangelion as contemptuous instead of empathetic when shinji is basically admitted to be an anno self insert is some wild take, but sadly common
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    reading evangelion as contemptuous instead of empathetic when shinji is basically admitted to be an anno self insert is some wild take, but sadly common
    Those are not mutually exclusive though. Considering how wildly popular Evangelion was back then (and how a big chunk of the fanbase was basically like: "Asuka x Shinji 4 life xoxoxo"), a lot of EoE can be pretty much seen as Anno crapping on his fans' heads, starting with very first 5 mins of the film where we see Shinji jerking off to a comatose Asuka after locking the doors behind him (and then proceeding to choking her to death later in the movie). He even went as far as to include some of the death threats he received from fans in one of the montages in EoE. Oh and aren't Anno and Hayao Miyazaki good friends as well?

Blog Entries
    You should consume actual Anno biographic content like the manga of his wife and interviews. The idea that he made a work about dealing with depression and isolation and uses it to tell isolated and depressed people to fuck off because they don't consume in the way he envisioned is a popular take in western spheres. But is so solely because it makes people that "truly" appreciate Anno escape from the smell of other nerds by realizing what they like is bad, actually in a crab bucket situation.

That's not the image a guy who is so nerdy about giant robots that its basically infectious really gives off.

Giant robots, kaijus, super sentai, trains and power lines. A giant middle finger might not be the right word for it, but it certainly comes off as a "warning", just like his more recent Me! Me! Me! music video which portrays the dangerous, toxic obsession of some of the folks and their current otaku lifestyle.

Blog Entries
    Anno had nothing to do with Me!Me!Me! except for putting his name on the umbrella project.

It was an in-house Khara project done by an artist who worked on Eva 3.0. Without Anno and Eva, it wouldn't have happened.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Leaving Hideaki Anno's issues aside (the author is dead, let them stay buried!), I don't think even End of Evangelion is as contemptuous as that. Shinji choking Asuka is a literal representation of how he wants to not feel anything and just let himself be dissolved into the primal goo with everyone else so that he won't suffer anymore, but finds that he can't, *and that's a good thing*! One of the ongoing themes in the series is exactly that people hurt each other, but that this pain is the price for creating meaningful connections. Also, the final two episodes (25 and 26, if I recall it correctly?) are downright hopeful, "Congratulations!" meme aside.

Blog Entries
    Sure but you can't read authorial intent off it when its not by the author you're talking about, especially since Me!Me!Me! seems more lifestyle focused and directly targeted at otaku (literally using otaku culture as coping mechanism because women suck and break up with you) while Evas advice I think is more universal good advice for depressed people (which is why it enjoyed mainstream success)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    (the author is dead, let them stay buried!)
    biographical analysis is alive and well even in academic circles idk who died and made barthes the sole authority on critical thought

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I thought Eva enjoyed mainstream success because of giant robots and hot girls

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I mean I have seen very spread-around hot takes about the final EoE scene which is actually surprisingly hopeful and humane when you stop a minute to think about the actions of the characters as if it was a super grimdark bad end.

It is just a thing that happens when people start getting pretentious about a work that wasn't really all that pretentious in the first place.
    Last edited by RacingeR; April 29th, 2020 at 07:33 PM.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GarlandGreene View Post
    Admittedly, shoving some of those 'high concept' elements into FGO just don't feel right (especially when half of your characters look like they came straight out of a bunch of different hentai doujins). It's like trying to tell a story about the Holocaust with the cast of K-ON, to quote the main character from legendary anime Hand Shakers:
    Well, no, the real reason that you can't do a Holocaust story with K-ON characters is because no K-ON characters were born during WWII. Now, if you're doing a Holocaust story with the K-ON art style, then it could work, like how School-Live is a zombie apocalypse story with a cutesy art style, despite the fact that one of my coworkers cannot appreciate it as such because he couldn't even finish episode 1, due to said art style, but that's his loss, based on his prejudice.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    biographical analysis is alive and well even in academic circles idk who died and made barthes the sole authority on critical thought
    I'm not entirely opposed to it, but the text should be the highest authority on itself, not the author.

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    I thought Eva enjoyed mainstream success because of giant robots and hot girls
    Well, the joke is on then, because Eva doesn't have any giant robots. Asuka is still hot though.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, forget that. There is one giant robot.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    I'm not entirely opposed to it, but the text should be the highest authority on itself, not the author.
    It's kind of a pointless statement. "I think the hammer is the best tool."

sure if youre working with nails it is, but maybe you have a screw and now the hammer sucks

It's kind of a pointless statement. "I think the hammer is the best tool."

sure if youre working with nails it is, but maybe you have a screw and now the hammer sucks
    Plus nasu is a known liar.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    And people can't read either but who cares?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    idk who died and made barthes the sole authority on critical thought
    The Author.

Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    And people can't read either but who cares?
    Nice jab, are we gonna ignore the times the other authors call nasu a liar? are we gonna ignore the BL document calling nasu a liar?

Compulsive lying

His biggest lie in recent years was "The opening theme of 「Infinite RYVIUS」 was sung by Koyanagi Yuki."

Victim: Takeuchi.

In his teens, he even said "I'm an alien from planet liar, so I have to lie at least once a day or I'll die."
    ...we wish he'd just go back home.
    (Tsukikan)

シナリオ担当のあだ名。

「うそつき成人」

The Scenario Director's nickname:
    'Lying Adult.'

(KT Daily Messages)

- http://www.typemoon.org/bbb/diary/index.html#27

もうFateは書かないと言ったな。あれは嘘だ。

Oh Nasu, you bastard.
    Last edited by Byegod; April 29th, 2020 at 09:34 PM.

Blog Entries