Page 344 of 617 FirstFirst ... 244294334339342343344345346349354394444 ... LastLast
Results 6,861 to 6,880 of 12332

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

月日は百代の過客にして、行かふ年も又旅 人也。 Benderesco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    I can only talk about Vampire and Werewolf, and I've only really played Werewolf (and only the 1st edition at that; I've been told the 2nd edition changes things a bit), but overall, I liked both.

In many ways, I prefer Requiem over Masquerade because it basically chucks all the metaplot (barebones as it was) and the huge, world-spanning conspiracies and sticks to the most basic concepts of vampires screwing over each other for power or survival while trying to not become feral beasts in the process; plus, I much prefer its mechanics! On the other hand, I do not like a lot of the Requiem bloodlines, and they've released *a lot* of those.

Forsaken is actually quite a bit different from Apocalypse! Simplifying a lot of things, whereas in Apocalypse the Garou defend Gaia and the Umbra from spirits of corruption and entropy and human excesses, in Forsaken, the Uratha try to keep their territories in spiritual balance by protecting them from the excesses of both spirits and humans. So much less of a never-ending war against the Forces of Darkness, more of an urban horror story. They're both very different in feeling, and I like them both, even if I still prefer Apocalypse (though, again, nWoD's mechanics are just better than oWoD's), even if I personally want to chuck out so many of its things (I mostly prefer Forsaken's tribes, for instance).
    Thanks a lot! My playgroup is run by nostalgic people that refuse to ever acknowledge the newer books exist, so my exposure to them is minimal. I really should do more research on Vampire and its ilk, since I pretty much let others dictate what sources we're going to use because I can't bring myself to actually see what else White Wolf has put out.
    Last edited by Benderesco; April 30th, 2020 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    The lack of "UH LA LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" from Japanese Sully makes me sad.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Nice jab, are we gonna ignore the times the other authors call nasu a liar? are we gonna ignore the BL document calling nasu a liar?
    Doesn't change the fact that people can't read either. So hooray I guess for some quotes.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    are we gonna ignore the BL document calling nasu a liar?
    Are you serious?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    I thought Eva enjoyed mainstream success because of giant robots and hot girls
    It spawned a whole genre which official definition is “this work feels like evangelion, no no no not the robots, it just.... FEELS like evangelion, you know?”.

there had to be something else in there too that captured people.

Blog Entries
    The message of Eva, violently condensed: "Between living in your mother's
    womb
    basement
    , and killing yourself, there is a third option. We cannot say anything about it beyond the fact that it exists, but it exists."

The response to the message: "I would really rather prefer to stay in my mother's
    womb
    basement
    , so clearly Eva is telling me to kill myself."
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=FFTGr9OxKQ0

Actually people like Ryukishi who are also pretty established authors who also are fans of Nasu make me wonder. Wonder what everyone else would like to see as far as collaborating writers potentially.

I mean I think Kimetsu no Yaiba was pretty bad but I know the mangaka likes Nasu’s stuff so some people hope that something happens with Type Moon sometime.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Kimetsu has become phenomena in Japan after the anime.

every kids talks about it even more than One Piece.
    Last edited by AmADo VII; April 30th, 2020 at 06:14 AM.

One Piece is actually good tho :^)

Although it has its own flaws, honestly.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Menwearpink View Post
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=FFTGr9OxKQ0

Actually people like Ryukishi who are also pretty established authors who also are fans of Nasu make me wonder. Wonder what everyone else would like to see as far as collaborating writers potentially..
    i can already imagine r07's fate MC screaming UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!!! I WANT TO BE WITH YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!! FOREVEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!! to the saberface and its making me break out in cold sweat.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Kinda curious as to why this setting is deterministic to you? fate or time culling? I agree but im not sure if we have the same reasons so I lean towards time culling as to why for you.

But I mean think about it, when has divine spirit vs god ever come up besides to powercreep, oh wait that's literally the reason why zeus is 'so strong vs guy who can rewrite his entire world'
    Both? The idea that some force we don't understand seems to decide what happens and what doesn't seems strange to me in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    What's their weight?
    Thiccness is tied to the Body Mass Index.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    World of Darkness, which is similar subject matter, did this.

It was a bad decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastedspider View Post
    I don't think that kind of cosmic reset ever achieved positive results. Besides Crisis on Infinite Earths, perhaps, but I am not versed on DC history.
    It depends whether or not the author decides to do so or leaves it to someone else. When the author leaves, it either ends up going very wrong or very right. With the author, it turns alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Fictional 'universes' do not exist. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying (unironically) to sell you something. You are fucking spooked
    https://litreactor.com/columns/belie...tional-realism

Technically, Chronicles is a new setting, not a reboot. It would be disingenuous of me to pretend they didn't take anything from the old World of Darkness, but Werewolf the Forsaken, for instance, has a very different premise from Werewolf the Apocalypse.

Eh. Thanks to poor editorial control, Crisis was screwed up almost from the start.
    The issue was that they wanted to keep the Crisis gravy going and then they ended with a strange hodgepodge of ancient and modern lore that didn't mesh well and had to reboot again through Final Crisis.

The only way you would even be able to pull off a realm reborn was if nasu just fucked off for some reason, a lot of the deterministic elements is clearly nasu's pet ideas. Time culling, QTL, uhh... luck?

And even then it would be a nightmare to untangle some of them like sefar or extellla in general, or lostbelts/
    I have a feeling the guy will run the moment a wealthy bidder offers him a billion for rights.

Simply resort to String Theory and have the Nasu brane collapse. Souls all migrate to a new world as even The Root simply goes poof.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    Also A Realm Reborn wasn't a story reboot, it continued right where 1.0's story left off.
    We call that in the trade a soft reboot dear.

Fundamentally I feel like part of my issue is that nasu's 'high concept' or 'thematics' is that due to him also doing otaku/weeb bait it feels inherently dishonest, as nasu's high concept or ideas go against what the weeb/otaku type people actually want and who he does that bait for.

Plus nasu 'high concept' doesn't hold up under scrutiny either way but still.
    No such thing as "high concept". The vast majority of Nasu's stuff emerged from Discworld, Stanley Kubrick and Dungeons and Dragons...

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's kind of a pointless statement. "I think the hammer is the best tool."

sure if youre working with nails it is, but maybe you have a screw and now the hammer sucks
    I'd argue it's the opposite. For instance: how can I employ a biographical analysis on the Norse sagas, for example, when we don't even know who wrote most of them?

Even if we do have full knowledge of the author's life and how it relates to their work (and we need to remember that authors may also lie, be mistaken, or not care about their creations), that should at most provide an additional lens through which to examine said work, not be treated as its underpinnings. If we needed to know about Anno's struggle with depression to understand Evangelion (either on an emotional or intellectual level), for example, I'd argue that would have been a failure of storytelling on the series' part.

D&D influence is present, I give you that, but Discworld and Kubrick?

Blog Entries
    lol
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd argue it's the opposite. For instance: how can I employ a biographical analysis on the Norse sagas, for example, when we don't even know who wrote most of them?
    then dont use biographical analysis on that

What kind of critic only uses one lens? Try doing feminist criticism without the simplest biographical analysis (is the author a woman or not)

Even if we do have full knowledge of the author's life and how it relates to their work (and we need to remember that authors may also lie, be mistaken, or not care about their creations), that should at most provide an additional lens through which to examine said work, not be treated as its underpinnings. If we needed to know about Anno's struggle with depression to understand Evangelion (either on an emotional or intellectual level), for example, I'd argue that would have been a failure of storytelling on the series' part.
    Yeah but that means it is a tool. That's the fundamental failure of people who use nonbiographical criticism all the time on the internet. They think it is the only valid form of criticism based on research or whatever which fundamentally misunderstands how applications of literary criticism works in an academic environment. You pick a lens with which to view the work with, there is no best lens, every lens gets something different out of it.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

For instance: how can I employ a biographical analysis on the Norse sagas, for example, when we don't even know who wrote most of them?
    Sagas are closely related to oral tradition, and therefore the concept of individual authorship is hardly applicable to them. But you definitely need to know the cultural context in which they circulated to really understand at least some details.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastedspider View Post
    D&D influence is present, I give you that, but Discworld and Kubrick?
    Stanley Kubrick might be a hard sell, but Discworld is present.

Kubrick because KnK stares.

Well, I'm drunk rn, so expect a bit of very bad comparisons or analogies (and not so legible writing).

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benderesco View Post
    Thanks a lot! My playgroup is run by nostalgic people that refuse to ever acknowledge the newer books exist, [...]
    Ah. Been there, suffered through that!

Blog Entries
    don't make me paste the full text of "what is an author" into the quick reply box without regard for formatting because by god i will do it
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

I am just not seeing the connections at all.