Page 393 of 617 FirstFirst ... 293343383388391392393394395398403443493 ... LastLast
Results 7,841 to 7,860 of 12332

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Oh. Why did he become a Caster, then? Were all of the Presidents Casters?
    Because Caster is the dumping class for intellectuals. Scientists like Edison and Babbage, writers like Hans and Shakespeare...
    Last edited by pinetree; July 3rd, 2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: not Tesla. Edison. Duh.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by AAM1232 View Post
    From Fallacies who TLed that section:
    Ya, word for word translation is correct, but you don't just chop off one part of the sentence and ignore the rest.

Going back to my example, it's like you claiming I told you that you can call me anytime, but I said you can call me anytime between 8am and 5pm.

Same as in English, comma means interrupted thought/sentence.
    Last edited by Bookworm Luke; July 3rd, 2020 at 12:38 AM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    But the time period given there isn't said to be a hard fact. I can't really see it as "Oh you can call Servants, just from 1900AD-2300BC only please".

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Storytelling.
    ...movie magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    ...movie magic
    I mean, oral and written storytelling get put into Caster, so why not audiovisual

What was that Waver said about sight being the first spell

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    ...movie magic
    Edison's mats have this if you want more info:

I can’t find the necessity to talk about Edison’s great feats at this point.
    The light bulb, the phonograph, the cinema, the toaster, and other goods of everyday use, are based on his inventions.

Although there are surprisingly few things invented originally by himself, he reconstructed precursor inventions into a more adequate shape for being promulgated…… In that sense he was extremely great, as it is known.
    In terms of he having improved humanity’s life level by promulgating inventions, it’s undeniable that he can be said to be a hero.

Even though Edison has popularity, he originally isn’t a strong Servant so far.
    However, he who was the only 『leader』――― 『Inventor King』 left in America couldn’t appear in an incomplete form, and exponentially powered up after gaining power from 『America’s presidents』.
    Specifically, his head turned into a lion’s. According to himself, it’s not like he deliberately obtained the head of a lion, but since the catch-copy of『king of beasts』 suited him, this face was chosen, he was informed.
    He has the head of a lion, but since there isn’t any harm in particular, it seems he’s leaving it like this. Also, he seems to be pleased with not getting tired no matter how much he walks about and his voice resounding better than usual.

A Servant that feels a little like an honest researcher.
    In the America East-West War, he’s the 『Inventor King』 leading the United States Western Army.
    Since he’s merged with presidents from the modern era that couldn’t become Servants, he has become far more 『patriotic』 than in life.
    The war situation is somewhat advantageous for the Celts that have gathered Servants, but thanks to Edison’s relentless resistance and repeated upgrades of the mechanized soldiers that make use of his technology, he’s somewhat holding out.

But the time period given there isn't said to be a hard fact. I can't really see it as "Oh you can call Servants, just from 1900AD-2300BC only please".
    It's not a matter of you can or cannot see.

It's literally Japanese grammar.

And "Oh you can call Servants, just from 1900AD-2300BC only please" is what it is getting at.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Spellcasting is just flinging balls of human thought. It's usually about Mystery, but scientists and storytellers are also throwing human thought around, so it feels like a reasonable enough stretch of the definition.

JP Friend Code
    When I read the heroic spirit summoning limitation line, I took it as a "limitation to those who can be summoned in the HGW". It does not talk about "only people who lived in this range can become heroic spirits", but about the range of which heroic spirits can be drafted from. It's not "you must be born from X year to Y year to become a heroic spirit", it's "heroic spirits born from X year to Y year can be summoned".

I take it more of a "general knowledge" similar to the "no Asian servants", yet we have Medea hacking for Kojirou, and Gilgamesh is from Western Asia, or "heroes only" yet later it is revealed that the 3rd war corrupted the grail and allow anti-heroes.

In later "more advanced summoning systems" like that of Moon Cell and FGO, this limitation is lifted. It's not the rules established being bent, it's "this brand new summoning system is superior to the original one, thus we can summon from any era, from any culture and more!".

I get why having more and more "wtf is this shit" servants would annoy people, But I'd like to point out that most of those cases are not even heroic spirits or exist on the throne.

You know, there's been a recent push that Actually, There's No Time Limit On Servants At All, but I've never seen it from a reputable source. What was the original text on that?
    From both the FSN text and Nasu interview, it looks like a retcon for FGO only. It's probably one of the reason to separate the universes.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    When I read the heroic spirit summoning limitation line, I took it as a "limitation to those who can be summoned in the HGW". It does not talk about "only people who lived in this range can become heroic spirits", but about the range of which heroic spirits can be drafted from. It's not "you must be born from X year to Y year to become a heroic spirit", it's "heroic spirits born from X year to Y year can be summoned".

I take it more of a "general knowledge" similar to the "no Asian servants", yet we have Medea hacking for Kojirou, and Gilgamesh is from Western Asia, or "heroes only" yet later it is revealed that the 3rd war corrupted the grail and allow anti-heroes.

In later "more advanced summoning systems" like that of Moon Cell and Extra, this limitation is lifted. It's not the rules established being bent, it's "this brand new summoning system is superior to the original one, thus we can summon from any era, from any culture and more!".

I get why having more and more "wtf is this shit" servants would annoy people, But I'd like to point out that most of those cases are not even heroic spirits or exist on the throne.
    So instead of a retcon, it's just a sidenote? Colour me surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post

In later "more advanced summoning systems" like that of Moon Cell and FGO, this limitation is lifted. It's not the rules established being bent, it's "this brand new summoning system is superior to the original one, thus we can summon from any era, from any culture and more!".

It's a pretty good way to look at it.

But then there's Voyager literally telling you he's a modern day Heroic Spirit and Nasu telling you he's changing the rules.

It's basically FGO rules.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I mean the rest of the text around Rin's statement isn't exactly conclusive evidence for there being a hard limit either so I'm not sure why a retcon is so plausible.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Since /EXTRA, Nasu always made completely clear that the Moon Cell's summoning system has a vastly wider accessible range than the Fuyuki summoning system. It makes sense since it's comparing a system built by high tier but not Lord tier mage families vs a system built by some extremely advanced alien civilization or a system built by a Grail-powered Lord family.

I mean the rest of the text around Rin's statement isn't exactly conclusive evidence for there being a hard limit either so I'm not sure why a retcon is so plausible.
    You just posted that interview though.

Nasu literally told you his intent shifted with FGO.

Forget about game quote, Nasu literally told you "I retcon'd this for FGO".

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    He didn't say anything about a retcon, just that he's now doing what he hasn't before.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Since /EXTRA, Nasu always made completely clear that the Moon Cell's summoning system has a vastly wider accessible range than the Fuyuki summoning system. It makes sense since it's comparing a system built by high tier but not Lord tier mage families vs a system built by some extremely advanced alien civilization or a system built by a Grail-powered Lord family.
    Ya, because it is essentially an oblivion recorder like Akasha and contains stuff not in the Throne.

EXTRA is forgiveable and not canned because it is kind of dancing around the Stay Night mechanisms.

FGO is literally containing stuff that Nasu told us are not supposed to be together (e.g. Fate/Stay night, Strange Fake, AND Kara no Kyoukai).

- - - Updated - - -

He didn't say anything about a retcon, just that he's now doing what he hasn't before.
    I mean sure. If you hate that word so much, then let's just call it "Nasu doing stuff he hasn't done before".

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm Luke View Post
    Ya, because it is essentially an oblivion recorder like Akasha and contains stuff not in the Throne.

EXTRA is forgiveable and not canned because it is kind of dancing around the Stay Night mechanisms.

FGO is literally containing stuff that Nasu told us are not supposed to be together (e.g. Fate/Stay night, Strange Fake, AND Kara no Kyoukai).
    FGO doesn't have SF in it so I don't know what you're talking about. And FSN is barely referenced, it doesn't even have a collab like Zero or Requiem.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I mean sure. If you hate that word so much, then let's just call it "Nasu doing stuff he hasn't done before".
    I mean when you're not doing anything to support an argument how am I supposed to take it seriously?

JP Friend Code
    It's a pretty good way to look at it.

But then there's Voyager literally telling you he's a modern day Heroic Spirit and Nasu telling you he's changing the rules.

It's basically FGO rules.
    That was not a rule tho. It's not something established in-universe, just Nasu's own "taboo" as a writer. Back then it's "Ok I will only use legendary figures with vague background to have gray areas to work with". But FGO needs a large amount of servants as a gacha game, so he has to break that personal taboo and went "I have no choice but to use those with extremely young and detailed history". Of course it would upset people, even if later on it is revealed that Voyager become a heroic spirit through worship of some future cult, similar to how the spaceships of a different universe became known as Olympian Gods. But it's more "I don't like the excuses Nasu had to use to justify this happening to stay consistent" than "Nasu retconned things and it made FSN less good".