Page 387 of 617 FirstFirst ... 287337377382385386387388389392397437487 ... LastLast
Results 7,721 to 7,740 of 12332

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    For the longest time we basically only ever get information that's absolutely necessary to understand the story at hand. The problem with Character Material is that it only talks about individual people and things we've already seen, and doesn't expand anything or give any wider exposition other than re-examination. It doesn't help that no TM work has been truly episodic, even KnK, and that entire laws of metaphysics change between the different sort of settings, leaving us as an example unsure whether some rules of Fate still apply in Extra or not. We'll never know because it's not important, but if somebody wanted to write a story where it is important, then that's damning because their fic will devolve into people arguing about it.

It's interesting to me that the variable metaphysics thing is a backdoor of the author's, and the scarcity of information would be considered a narrative virtue elsewhere, but both winds up actively damaging the work's cultural value in this way, making sure no one other than Nasu can actually write the Nasuverse. It's interesting that Rinspeak is a local phenomenon of the work that is designed for obsoletion outside of it.
    Yeah I get what you mean, like I'm reminded how we know bout foundations but not really that much, or how we are often given numbers for circuits or mana yet no context for those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    how we are often given numbers for circuits or mana yet no context for those numbers.
    This isn't really a thing that you should look at and be like "what does that MEAN?" though. Pretty much every time Nasu throws out a number for stuff like circuits or energy levels or numerical values for stats and such, it's pretty much never "this is the exact number for this thing", but rather just a means of comparison. For stats, A is 40 above E "in value" to show that it's magnitudes higher, not that it's literally 5 times the value of E.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    How many circuits does Ciel have?

How does Roa cast Magecraft?

- - - Updated - - -

How do Nrvnqsr and Wallachia use Magecraft entirely lacking anything resembling a human body?

- - - Updated - - -

If Magecraft is a power granted to mankind, shouldn't it interact with the enemy of mankind nature of Dead Apostles?

- - - Updated - - -

How exactly does the entire teaching Etherlite to Akiha work? Isn't Etherlite Magecraft, while Akiha's plundering is completely different? Isn't Etherlite a highly specialized tool while Akiha has no formal training in Magecraft? Shouldn't Sion get onto that before she teaches Akiha anything? Can -anybody- use Etherlite? Can Shiki use Etherlite to activate MEoDP?

- - - Updated - - -

If Apostle immunity to NPs springs from their nature of denial of human history, shouldn't they be immune to Seventh Holy Scripture, which is made of biblical apocrypha, which is exactly as much history as Amakusa's tattoos?

- - - Updated - - -

Lest I forget, is Zelretch as a Dead Apostle affected by strong human order?

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Why does Zealot's NP work on the Apostle who summoned her?

Because the NP rejection clause pertains to humans using them.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Well, but they technically were made by presumed FGO fans and incorporate FGO-original content.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Duh
    In that case, this very forum has a variety of good FGO fics.

For the longest time we basically only ever get information that's absolutely necessary to understand the story at hand. The problem with Character Material is that it only talks about individual people and things we've already seen, and doesn't expand anything or give any wider exposition other than re-examination. It doesn't help that no TM work has been truly episodic, even KnK, and that entire laws of metaphysics change between the different sort of settings, leaving us as an example unsure whether some rules of Fate still apply in Extra or not. We'll never know because it's not important, but if somebody wanted to write a story where it is important, then that's damning because their fic will devolve into people arguing about it.

It's interesting to me that the variable metaphysics thing is a backdoor of the author's, and the scarcity of information would be considered a narrative virtue elsewhere, but both winds up actively damaging the work's cultural value in this way, making sure no one other than Nasu can actually write the Nasuverse. It's interesting that Rinspeak is a local phenomenon of the work that is designed for obsoletion outside of it.
    The early solo works by Nasu have internal consistency, because it was all by one person with the intention of universe building.

The derivative works afterward that Nasu did not helm really made the universe more entangled and sometimes contradictory.

For example, the Servant Voyager. FSN explicitly said machines cannot be a Heroic Spirit, yet here we are.

JP Friend Code
    591286971/Lead
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookworm Luke View Post
    For example, the Servant Voyager. FSN explicitly said machines cannot be a Heroic Spirit, yet here we are.
    I think you're misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by FSN, Fate Route Day Three
    "Haven't you been taught that any humans, animals, or machines that leave any great achievements behind get removed from the ring of reincarnation and sublimate into beings of higher rank?
    Heroes are that sort of beings.
    To put it simply, they have been worshipped and made into artificial gods."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gun FAQ
    The actual Heroic Spirits being worshipped will be the "greatest weapon of that era". However, for the weapon to become a Heroic Spirit in this case, it must harbour a soul.
    Machines have always been fine if they have souls.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Also, all properties are supervised by Nasu, as bad of a supervisor as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadDemon View Post

I am aware of those.

Those just highlight the improbability. Machines can become gods if worshiped. For them to become Heroic Spirits, they must have a soul to start with.

I don't know how NASA installed a soul into a 1970's computer.

We can retroactively round this up all we can, but I doubt this was Nasu's original intention. A lot of EXTRA and GO stuff are going beyond the premise of FSN to be frank.

It carries ~humanity's soul~ in the golden record, quote this post.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm fairly sure that "artificial gods" there refers to the nature of Heroic Spirits, not to actual gods and Divine Spirits.

Besides, Tsukumogamis are a thing so inanimate objects gaining souls is not even a new concept, mythologically.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I'm fairly sure that "artificial gods" there refers to the nature of Heroic Spirits, not to actual gods and Divine Spirits.

Besides, Tsukumogamis are a thing so inanimate objects gaining souls is not even a new concept, mythologically.
    I am talking about the ascending and taking out of the cycle of reincarnation part.

The original quote is referring to machines and animals can become gods in folklore due to worship, and Heroic Spirits are something similar.

For a machine to become a Heroic Spirit, it has to embody a concept and has a soul. Basically impossible.

The intent of the original Q & A was basically Nasu telling you "it's nearly impossible for modern day people and technology to become Heroic Spirits".
    Last edited by Bookworm Luke; July 1st, 2020 at 12:22 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    For a machine to become a Heroic Spirit, it has to embody a concept and has a soul. Basically impossible.
    I don't really disagree with that, just that the machine would need those to begin with, rather than them being something that is acquired. See Danzou, who started as just a puppet, and yet she developed free will and/or a soul in life.
    I honestly think this is very in line with how FSN initially defined Heroic Spirits and that Voyager fits it even better. They have left a mark in human history and became something more than just famous machines.

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    I don't really disagree with that, just that the machine would need those to begin with, rather than them being something that is acquired. See Danzou, who started as just a puppet, and yet she developed free will and/or a soul in life.
    I honestly think this is very in line with how FSN initially defined Heroic Spirits and that Voyager fits it even better. They have left a mark in human history and became something more than just famous machines.
    I am just ranting according to the thread title.

I don't doubt there's 999,999,999,999 ways we can say this stuff is all kosher to Fate lore.

I just feel it's against the spirit of the original story and all the Q&A stuff Nasu generated.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadDemon View Post

That's some Pietro Polendina level of engineering right there... or he's just an allegory for the Little Prince.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    How many circuits does Ciel have?

How does Roa cast Magecraft?

- - - Updated - - -

How do Nrvnqsr and Wallachia use Magecraft entirely lacking anything resembling a human body?

- - - Updated - - -

If Magecraft is a power granted to mankind, shouldn't it interact with the enemy of mankind nature of Dead Apostles?

- - - Updated - - -

How exactly does the entire teaching Etherlite to Akiha work? Isn't Etherlite Magecraft, while Akiha's plundering is completely different? Isn't Etherlite a highly specialized tool while Akiha has no formal training in Magecraft? Shouldn't Sion get onto that before she teaches Akiha anything? Can -anybody- use Etherlite? Can Shiki use Etherlite to activate MEoDP?

- - - Updated - - -

If Apostle immunity to NPs springs from their nature of denial of human history, shouldn't they be immune to Seventh Holy Scripture, which is made of biblical apocrypha, which is exactly as much history as Amakusa's tattoos?

- - - Updated - - -

Lest I forget, is Zelretch as a Dead Apostle affected by strong human order?
    1. Doesn't matter everything is in circuit ranks now.
    2. Like anyone else?
    3. As long as you can generate magical energy and have circuits that can attach to a foundation you can use magecraft. TATARI as a system is produced with an RM. I don't think we've actually seen the TATARI system use magecraft, but Wallachia is just a DA.
    Revelation : B
    A Skill that hears of "the voice from the Heavens" and performs the most suitable of actions.
    While "Instinct" is a sixth sense for combat purpose, Revelation conforms to all matters in regards of achieving a goal (such as selecting the most suitable road for travel route).
    Solomon had only ever received one Revelation, but based on that he had established the phenomena operation technique--that is, magic--that even an ordinary person could perform. (Until then, magic had been a work only for those related to the gods.)
    Changed from those related to gods to anyone. Don't see how this is just a gift to humankind.
    5. In Red Demon God they say the source of a Ma's power and the hunters who fight them with yin yang techniques (magecraft) come from the same source and therefore they have a fair fight with the same rules. Also Akiha is able to make Shikigami, a magecraft technique. We see a magic circuitless Azaka being able to use magecraft through her ESP. Therefore it's likely that you can use weird circuits to perform magecraft, but it'll be limited.
    6. Like left said, it's only NPs used by living humans that they deny. The Seventh isn't a NP. Amakusa using his hands would wipe a DA easy.
    Last edited by You; July 1st, 2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

I am talking about the ascending and taking out of the cycle of reincarnation part.

The original quote is referring to machines and animals can become gods in folklore due to worship, and Heroic Spirits are something similar.

The intent of the original Q & A was basically Nasu telling you "it's nearly impossible for modern day people and technology to become Heroic Spirits".
    Im not as offended at the idea mainly cause i find the idea of modern day people being unable stupid but I can understand why you personally dislike it.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    This was of course just throwing out dumb questions off the top of my head about things people might not know/ask between franchises because they are not actually stated, and might assume before writing original content, but thanks for replying to all of them. Didn't know some of those. Dust of Osiris at least has Etherlite as a move, and a lot of Wallachia's moves are also Etherlite-looking, which always stood out to me as a bit weird.

I look forward to you answering 6) again when Ciel is in FGO and uses Seventh as her NP.

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This was of course just throwing out dumb questions off the top of my head about things people might not know/ask between franchises because they are not actually stated, and might assume before writing original content, but thanks for replying to all of them. Didn't know some of those. Dust of Osiris at least has Etherlite as a move, and a lot of Wallachia's moves are also Etherlite-looking, which always stood out to me as a bit weird.

I look forward to you answering 6) again when Ciel is in FGO and uses Seventh as her NP.
    Well, he has like, 500.000.000 years to think about it.

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria