Page 336 of 618 FirstFirst ... 236286326331334335336337338341346386436 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,720 of 12356

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    HFY in Stargate SG-1: The universe aligns itself to make Tau'ri come out on top due to a combination of factors all of which have to do with their context going far beyond the start of the conflict, and none of which have to do with the way they internally are. Due to Stargate HFY being just manifest destiny, Stargate is thinly veiled imperialist colonialism in the twenty first century, and that's great because none of its biggest fans seem to realize this.
    Huh, never realized that. I always considered it more state sponsored terrorism which is only acceptable due to the enemy being literal totalitarian parasites. By the time it shifted headlong into it, I'd already been in for long enough I didn't see it.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    notes has more subtlety to it than any other remotely 'HFY' adjacent thing nasu ever wrote, simply because the 'fuck yeah' insofar as there is any is tempered by the narrative of the death of the last baseline human. 'humanity' as such goes extinct in Notes. what endures are humanity's posthuman descendents, which are not necessarily much like humans. the 'ascent' of Fuck Yeah is correlated unspoken with an acknowlegement that the ascent also = the demise of 'humanity'
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I mean, evolution of the species to promote a continuation of life in itself can also be a decently uplifting message too.
    Well, as uplifting as the situation can get.

Hmm, I wonder if they went for the angle that the MC and Mash end up starting a new species by the end. Would that be a good way to cap it off?

love warrior <3 world-0 the god of world-0's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Guda: "let's create a new species, Mashu!"

Mash: "S-Senpai!"

here is a list of my servant sheets(new and improved format for my servant sheets)

Come explore the White Library, and reach the bottom of this Abyss
    Fate / White Memoria

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Mythology is a hardly good source for HFY. Most traditional cultures have view humans in a pretty negative light. It's no coincidence that most heroes are demi-gods or the cultural equivalent of one.

Gods are the bad guys in mythology. Demi-gods are primarily heroes of man, often fucked over by gods in much the same ways.

Just look at how the Epic of Gilgamesh speaks about their pantheon. There's no sympathy for the gods there. Not much different in Greek stories either.

Where mythology differs from recent-Nasu is in its pessimism. FGO gives us the most pretty picture of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by falseCeilings View Post
    Gods are the bad guys in mythology. Demi-gods are primarily heroes of man, often fucked over by gods in much the same ways.

Just look at how the Epic of Gilgamesh speaks about their pantheon. There's no sympathy for the gods there. Not much different in Greek stories either.

Where mythology differs from recent-Nasu is in its pessimism. FGO gives us the most pretty picture of reality.
    Wasn't it mostly ishtar that gil disliked? even gil became deified post his death as well.

Blog Entries
    'who is the good guy' 'who is the bad guy'

this is how children read. enough.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    The straightforward notion of "good guy vs bad guy" isn't really characterestic of ancient mythology either. You could read the stories from this perspective, true, but a great many nuances would be lost.

For example, in the Epic Gilgamesh is initially portrayed as a tyrant who actively disrupts the livelihood of Uruk's denizens, and goes against Huwava because of glory-seeking and greed. On the other hand Gods create Enkidu as a response to the pleas of Urukians, and deity Shamash acts like Gilgamesh's patron throughout the story.

More importantly the source of Gilgamesh's greatness is his heritage. He wouldn't be able to perform the deeds he had if he weren't a demigod.
    Last edited by Blastedspider; April 18th, 2020 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    'who is the good guy' 'who is the bad guy'

this is how children read. enough.
    Agreed to some extent, I mean there are times in greek myths when even the gods were like 'calm down dude' like tantalus breaking several taboos in front of the gods what with feeding his child to them and breaking sacred hospitality

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I mean. Greek gods could be selfish and cruel, but they were also supportive and generous to people they liked. And, like, there're cases of them doing huge favours for people, just because said people were super nice and good. And there are other cases of them doling out punishment in a fit of anger, but then making up for it later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    I mean, evolution of the species to promote a continuation of life in itself can also be a decently uplifting message too.
    Well, as uplifting as the situation can get.

Hmm, I wonder if they went for the angle that the MC and Mash end up starting a new species by the end. Would that be a good way to cap it off?
    My gripe was they even insist on calling themselves non human. The whole point of evolution is that modern humanity won't look the same in the future. Transhumanism will make us look completely unrecognizable, but we will still have the "man" part attached ad infinitum.

This is the part Nasu always seems to forget. Even freaking Magneto understood that Mutans and humans were one and the same. They were just the "enhanced" versions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    I mean. Greek gods could be selfish and cruel, but they were also supportive and generous to people they liked. And, like, there're cases of them doing huge favours for people, just because said people were super nice and good. And there are other cases of them doling out punishment in a fit of anger, but then making up for it later.
    The Greek gods mirrored normal people: they were almighty and could be cruel, but also nice. They had fears, feuds and insecurities. They lashed out for no reason and were really petty, but also really inspiring, selfless and generous.

In other words, they were normal. Normal people are not pious ascetics. Deities like Jesus are well above mankind's squabbles. The whole point of the Greek gods was that they weren't because of how wordly they were. They were essentially really powerful monarchs. I mean, look at the human heroes and you'll realize they did pretty much the same crap on a similar scale and they didn't need divinity to get the point across.

So Zeus can go "and you were lynching negroes" on Theseus.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    HFY in Stargate SG-1: The universe aligns itself to make Tau'ri come out on top due to a combination of factors all of which have to do with their context going far beyond the start of the conflict, and none of which have to do with the way they internally are. Due to Stargate HFY being just manifest destiny, Stargate is thinly veiled imperialist colonialism in the twenty first century, and that's great because none of its biggest fans seem to realize this.
    Also, the main villains are based on Egyptian gods, and most of those fans still think Moses isn't a terrorist.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    Also, the main villains are based on Egyptian gods, and most of those fans still think Moses isn't a terrorist.
    Something something your terrorists are our freedom fighters.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I mean if you think about it SG Command are pretty much a bunch of terrorists themselves. They basically found an alien race, and decided that because they disapproved of their government on moral grounds, they would Nuke their Head-of-State and begin a shadow war against them on behalf of not only the United States, but every government in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Wasn't it mostly ishtar that gil disliked? even gil became deified post his death as well.
    I don't remember it that well, but I'm pretty sure gods are likened to dogs on one occasion (by the immortal human Gil encounters), and that they generally aren't favorably portrayed.

I always figured how Gil was handled in Nasuverse was a direct elaboration on that, but it could be I'm projecting back into the work more than what was originally there.

Quote Originally Posted by falseCeilings View Post
    I don't remember it that well, but I'm pretty sure gods are likened to dogs on one occasion (by the immortal human Gil encounters), and that they generally aren't favorably portrayed.

I always figured how Gil was handled in Nasuverse was a direct elaboration on that, but it could be I'm projecting back into the work more than what was originally there.
    Wasnt gil just a tower of druaga reference, a lot of the stuff was post ad-hoc elaborations

One must also think of what the gods represent. For the most part they essentially are an exploration of rules, ideals and societal pillars. A representation of ideas, a name and face to give them. What gods you fear, what gods you hail as the greatest, what they are and what they do say a good amount about you. Just look at Zeus as the core skyfather for the Greeks, the man who keeps order and enforces civility and hospitality. Xenia's a hell of a drug. of course you also need to see things like the Fates, and also dangers and threats beyond the re-imagining of beasts and disasters as monsters and such and take them into consideration too.

Really just saying gods are dicks or ect is usually something that ends up making people stop thinking beyond that, so it's a bit dangerous I'd say.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    Something something your terrorists are our freedom fighters.
    No one is wrong in war. There are only those who are right and those who are dead. The question is who is remaining alive to label a particular person a terrorist or a freedom fighter. Ozy let the Hebrews live, so that they could vilify him and glorify Moses. No one glorifies Hong Xiuquan, and few glorify Amakusa, because those people who could do so were exterminated during the actual event.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No one is wrong in war. There are only those who are right and those who are dead. The question is who is remaining alive to label a particular person a terrorist or a freedom fighter. Ozy let the Hebrews live, so that they could vilify him and glorify Moses. No one glorifies Hong Xiuquan, and few glorify Amakusa, because those people who could do so were exterminated during the actual event.
    Given that the whole story of the Jews in Egypt is a myth that never happened in history, I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here. Moses wasn't revered as a hero because Pharaoh let the Jews live, but because that's the kind of story the writers wanted to tell. And even in the story itself the idea that Pharaoh "let" the Jews escape isn't really accurate. Ozy gracefully ceding defeat and letting Moses go after he parts the Red Sea is purely a Nasuverse invention. In the Bible itself he chases after Moses with a whole bunch of chariots, which get destroyed when the Red Sea closes back up again.