Page 342 of 617 FirstFirst ... 242292332337340341342343344347352392442 ... LastLast
Results 6,821 to 6,840 of 12332

Thread: Unpopular TM opinions you have

Blog Entries
    Fictional 'universes' do not exist. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying (unironically) to sell you something. You are fucking spooked
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
    World of Darkness, which is similar subject matter, did this.

It was a bad decision.
    wait old world of darkness or chronicle of darkness? and also why was it bad?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Technically, Chronicles is a new setting, not a reboot. It would be disingenuous of me to pretend they didn't take anything from the old World of Darkness, but Werewolf the Forsaken, for instance, has a very different premise from Werewolf the Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastedspider View Post
    I don't think that kind of cosmic reset ever achieved positive results. Besides Crisis on Infinite Earths, perhaps, but I am not versed on DC history.
    Eh. Thanks to poor editorial control, Crisis was screwed up almost from the start.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blastedspider's Avatar
    Well, I don't know a positive example at all then.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    DC is pretty notorious for that

Which only proves Dull's point

Quote Originally Posted by AsGryffynn View Post
    Yet we are in the most deterministic setting imaginable. I really effing hate it too. It's kind of why I want a macrocosmic event to recreate or reboot TM a la "A Realm Reborn" where the story ends up being greatly simplified. No more Lostbelt crap. One version of history that we know from start to present.

The only way you would even be able to pull off a realm reborn was if nasu just fucked off for some reason, a lot of the deterministic elements is clearly nasu's pet ideas. Time culling, QTL, uhh... luck?

And even then it would be a nightmare to untangle some of them like sefar or extellla in general, or lostbelts/

US Friend Code
    Also A Realm Reborn wasn't a story reboot, it continued right where 1.0's story left off.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelBeowulf View Post
    wait old world of darkness or chronicle of darkness? and also why was it bad?
    It turned from something nigh unplayable but high concept into something easier to grasp and introduce to people, but much less inspired. There's exceptions of course, especially the later titles.
    In general dumbing down complexity is good when the complexity of the original work is unwarranted, poorly executed, or poorly placed. Making a new Guilty Gear? Sure, throw all the lore out of the window alongside Force Breaks and Danger Time, both are retarded. Details are important for flavor, feeling, atmosphere. Guilty Gear is a video game, not a book. It necessarily has complexity in gameplay, but the story is whatever.

If you were to dumb down the works of Jennifer Diane Rietz, though, they'd lose everything, because there is nothing to them but details. The message of alienation and craving for company is communicated through the work's feeling, through its soul. That is found in the detail. Fate/Stay Night is much the same way. The overly verbose explanations of everything, which are actually full of dead ends and question marks, communicate the span of history and by extension, the foolishness of relying only on yourself, and standing alone against the world and the sum of all its mysteries.

FGO is the corpse of Fate, but its features remain. You can still tell what it used to be, and if you never knew it, it makes you wish you did when it was alive. Since the metaphor is not perfect, you can go back in time and find out, that's great. But if you were to call all the words between fights in FGO arbitary, and sweep all the details off the table, enraging and inconsistent as they are, the product you would get would be a soul-less, featureless doll. I'd rather there be something organic in it, even if it's meat worms.

月日は百代の過客にして、行かふ年も又旅 人也。 Benderesco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Technically, Chronicles is a new setting, not a reboot. It would be disingenuous of me to pretend they didn't take anything from the old World of Darkness, but Werewolf the Forsaken, for instance, has a very different premise from Werewolf the Apocalypse.
    Is it good? To this day I've only played with the old books.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I can only talk about Vampire and Werewolf, and I've only really played Werewolf (and only the 1st edition at that; I've been told the 2nd edition changes things a bit), but overall, I liked both.

In many ways, I prefer Requiem over Masquerade because it basically chucks all the metaplot (barebones as it was) and the huge, world-spanning conspiracies and sticks to the most basic concepts of vampires screwing over each other for power or survival while trying to not become feral beasts in the process; plus, I much prefer its mechanics! On the other hand, I do not like a lot of the Requiem bloodlines, and they've released *a lot* of those.

Forsaken is actually quite a bit different from Apocalypse! Simplifying a lot of things, whereas in Apocalypse the Garou defend Gaia and the Umbra from spirits of corruption and entropy and human excesses, in Forsaken, the Uratha try to keep their territories in spiritual balance by protecting them from the excesses of both spirits and humans. So much less of a never-ending war against the Forces of Darkness, more of an urban horror story. They're both very different in feeling, and I like them both, even if I still prefer Apocalypse (though, again, nWoD's mechanics are just better than oWoD's), even if I personally want to chuck out so many of its things (I mostly prefer Forsaken's tribes, for instance).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    FGO is the corpse of Fate
    Is that why I like it more? As mentioned many times before, I generally play as a necromancer whenever I can. To say nothing of my profile image.

Blog Entries
    Corpse of an abused child, yeah, sounds about right
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Rita wasn't abused? Coincidentally, Luna was, but she's a (currently) living necromancer. Get me lich Luna, then we'll talk.
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; April 29th, 2020 at 04:24 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That's your response? Jesus Christ...

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    something something can't say no

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Remember, waifus are necrophilia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

It turned from something nigh unplayable but high concept into something easier to grasp and introduce to people, but much less inspired. There's exceptions of course, especially the later titles.
    In general dumbing down complexity is good when the complexity of the original work is unwarranted, poorly executed, or poorly placed. Making a new Guilty Gear? Sure, throw all the lore out of the window alongside Force Breaks and Danger Time, both are retarded. Details are important for flavor, feeling, atmosphere. Guilty Gear is a video game, not a book. It necessarily has complexity in gameplay, but the story is whatever.

If you were to dumb down the works of Jennifer Diane Rietz, though, they'd lose everything, because there is nothing to them but details. The message of alienation and craving for company is communicated through the work's feeling, through its soul. That is found in the detail. Fate/Stay Night is much the same way. The overly verbose explanations of everything, which are actually full of dead ends and question marks, communicate the span of history and by extension, the foolishness of relying only on yourself, and standing alone against the world and the sum of all its mysteries.

FGO is the corpse of Fate, but its features remain. You can still tell what it used to be, and if you never knew it, it makes you wish you did when it was alive. Since the metaphor is not perfect, you can go back in time and find out, that's great. But if you were to call all the words between fights in FGO arbitary, and sweep all the details off the table, enraging and inconsistent as they are, the product you would get would be a soul-less, featureless doll. I'd rather there be something organic in it, even if it's meat worms.
    Fundamentally I feel like part of my issue is that nasu's 'high concept' or 'thematics' is that due to him also doing otaku/weeb bait it feels inherently dishonest, as nasu's high concept or ideas go against what the weeb/otaku type people actually want and who he does that bait for.

Plus nasu 'high concept' doesn't hold up under scrutiny either way but still.
    Last edited by Byegod; April 29th, 2020 at 02:48 PM.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Remember, waifus are necrophilia.
    Is it necrophilia if you're banging heroic ghosts?
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Ghosts are ghosts, regardless of their strong power or character. Ghost are undead.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Its only necrophilia if they cant consent or moan /s