Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Keeps You Invested in Type-MOON?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I think the thing I appreciate the most about Typemoon is the worldview that it espouses and how different it is from the worldviews commonly found in contemporary western media and weeb media. While it is a very modernist setting, one that separates nature and culture, it looks at the world in a more metaphysical way. Everything usually an extra layer of thematic meaning that is consistent with the internal worldview presented. At the same time, Typemoon's original urban fantasy seems like it attempted to ground itself in reality (magecraft, myths and legends, drugz, the gaia principle), arguably the setting has moved past that by quite a bit, but the setting emphasizes the possibility of different worldviews than the ones people interact with everyday and in doing so you belong more tolerant to the diversity of how people see the world.
    So I think the more you get into Typemoon, the more you read its works done by all sorts of writers, you eventually figure out the idea of "canon" in this fictional universe is pretty useless. And the people who say things like "strange fake isn't canon because its by degenki bunko" or "prototype fragements is in a different universe so it doesn't apply" are irrelevant. Because when the authors are writing these stories, they don't care about the details of your continuity. The world building continuity is only there because of the thematic continuity or jokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    Three core factors since I discovered Type-Moon:

1. Love across time.
    2. Heroes having a 2nd chance at life.
    3. Overcoming fate.

Of course most of these are more often found in the Fate franchise, but nonetheless.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

Blog Entries
    Nothing evokes the same kind of feeling i get (or used to get) from TM when its on its higher points. That coupled with TM being very much alive and going forward is more than enough to keep up with it at least.
    ----
    that and impossible dream that one day after i've learned enough jap i'll sit down and read mahoyo and it will be some of the best hours of my life

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Because it's fun.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Gacha
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Sunk cost fallacy, community, routine

Also it's fascinating and unique and expansive. I'd never seen a power like Shiki's before, or how his and Shirou's abilties are extensions of their worldviews instead of standard shonen powerups. Reality Marbles and what they represent are one of Nasu's best ideas. The world has a lot of potential for striking imagery, like the hill of swords, the ruined Einzbern Castle, the fading glory of Last Encore, the digital ocean of the Moon Cell, the dogfight above the Fuyuki Bridge, and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Nostalgia and variety

Fate/Stay Night remains the only VN I've ever read cover to cover, so to speak. Shirou isn't the first protagonist who takes on the idea of what it really means to be a "hero" in this day and age , the first one with survivor's guilt, the first one with a contradictory philosophy on life. But the combination of Shirou's brand of insanity, the first person POV that both clarifies and obscures just how nutty he really is, the cast of colorful supporting characters like Rin as his long-suffering straight man, the most immediate hook of legendary hero death match -- it all came together in a perfect storm of themes and ideas that I've never quite seen done quite like that anywhere else. I don't mean to say Nasu is the best writer of his or any generation, but there's something worthwhile in what he has to say and to write and to create if he can get it so right with FSN. It engrossed me, and I've been chasing that feeling ever since.

Sure, I may bitch about gender bends and FGO and Apocrypha, but the ever-growing Type-Moon machine also gave me Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero and Fate/Strange Fake and Fate/Cooking. You've got to take the good with the bad, but the sprawling nature of T-M means I can skip most of the bad most of the time. I never downloaded FGO, for instance, because I'm not into mobile games, and I stopped keeping up with the translations because I just don't care about anything it has to say. I can skip it entirely and not miss much more than a little wink or nod in some other T-M spinoff some day. So FGO can keep chugging along and raking in the dough under Nasu's supervision while Narita works on the next volume of FSF.

tl;dr FSN good, want more good like that
    Last edited by Imperial; September 13th, 2018 at 01:28 PM.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The non-standard protagonists. Shirou, the guy trying to be a Shonen protag in a dark fantasy world and it actually works. Ryougi who is mourning her split personality. Mikiya who is just 100% normie. Tohno who's slowly being driven insane by his knowledge of inevitable death, which started well before his story began. Even Hakuno, who's a cyber ghost gestalt.

It's why Apocrypha was such a let down. The most engaging characters out of the 20+ was the buddy cop dynamic of Kairi and Mor.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Surpass her level, if you dare. hayate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Found the set rules to be interesting.

And I NEED to know what the rest of the cardinal Magics are, the other Beasts, and the other 20+ dead Apostles that I have to list.

Other than that, exploration of a character from their perspective is the first thing that I have seen from the franchise. Even with the set rules, it all depends on their decisions and emotions that ran at that time to use those rules and/or power to their advantage.

Taking Araya's perspective for example, he forgot the original motive due to him being sick of human life. We can contest that he never felt anything for humans in any way, but the fact that he resented humans due to their cyclical lifestyle is a catalyst in his defeat.

He only remembered the original motive due to Touko stating his faults and making him remember the original motive.
    Not dealing with it...

Why even try?

This is golden...
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    Lol Ishtarin went full Aqua
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've seen people in this forum spend the GDP of a third world country into Grand Order
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Yeah, there's a saying that you should strive for perfection knowing full well you won't achieve it. Saber looked at it and said "Hold my Beer"
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    And then all her friends resented her for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    It's why Apocrypha was such a let down. The most engaging characters out of the 20+ was the buddy cop dynamic of Kairi and Mor.
    I will forever be salty that the story opened with what looked like Kairi and Mordred as our new lead pair, only to pull the rug out from under me by shifting focus to two of the least compelling members of the entire cast.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Higashide should have stuck to writing what he knew and told nasu and takeuchi off instead of jamming in Sieg
    Last edited by You; September 13th, 2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

US Friend Code
    its funny the Apo BD interviews he says Mo was easy to write but he had problems with Jeanne and Sieg
    Makes lots of sense.

also do you have the interviews? That is one I haven’t heard a peep of when looking through the internet. Remember anything particularly interesting from them
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Higashide should have stuck to writing what he knew and told nasu and takeuchi off. Instead of jamming in Sieg
    its funny the Apo BD interviews he says Mo was easy to write but he had problems with Jeanne and Sieg
    This explains quite a bit, though I will say Jeanne on her own wasn't bad. Still, an Apocrypha with Mordred and Kairi as the main duo and maybe not so many masters and Servants...now that would be great.

US Friend Code
    Higa fucking loves B movies
    that he does, if anyone would browse his Twitter for a few weeks(or days really) that becomes very obvious. So I gather the interview was more on references like that and the experiences he had writing it and no neat lore tidbit then?
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I'd shell out some shells for another Kairi and Mordred team-up.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    I'd like to see Kairi and Mordred vs Rin, Saber, and Shirou, but halfway through, both groups would have to team up.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I don't want to see more rin saber shirou
    Gimme some burial ppl