Thread: Fansubbers' Memorial

Blog Entries

Fansubbers' Memorial

(Currently under construction.)

What Is This?

This is index for fan translators of Japanese games, manga, books, and anime. A place to mark the fallen so that their efforts may never be forgotten.

Why Did You Make This?

After the retirement of Mirror Moon I had a look around at other fan translation groups such as insani, only to stumble into a rabbit hole uncovering old groups that have no surviving evidence beyond a stray remark on another's site. Eventually, I tried to find a comprehensive list of groups. Nothing. It made me realize information on these sites could vanish at any time, slowly making it harder to find archives or evidence of their existence.

Personally, I have no attachment to these groups. But I am always curious as to the history of whatever I might be passionate about, and while sketchy translations of works with an official release might not be worth preserving for their own sake, they are an important part of the history of the fanbase for many games and shouldn't be forgotten.

The List
    (It's not so impressive now, but I still need to dig up my own findings and you yours.)

Legend: † = officially retired, ‡ = inactive/dead, ? = status unknown (assumed dead), unmarked = active

insani ‡ - A prolific visual novel translation group founded in August of 2004 by Seung "gp32" Park and Edward Keyes. They also maintained a branch of the visual novel engine ONScripter.

Crew: Seung Park (Lead Translator / Onscripter Maintainer), Edward Keyes (Chief Technical Officer / Lead Graphic / Quality Control / Secondary Translator), Irene Ying (Intern Translator), Chris "GSL" St. Louis (Intern Translator), Erik "I|ammamama" Sjoberg (Intern Translator), Nanatuha ("Lecherous Bancho")

Games: Adagio, Anonono, At Summer's End, Crimsoness, Fate/Stay Night (demo), Final Exam Kujira, Flood of Tears, Hanihani, Haru no Ashioto, ITSDTA, Karekare, LEAVEs, Majipuri, May Sky, Moonshine, Narcissu, Negaeba, OMGWTFOTL, Panda Samurai, Planetarian, Polyphonica, Poor Little Bird, Red Shift, Resonance, Soremata, The Letter, True Remembrance, True Tears, VFTOS, Wind

Web: insani.org

mirror moon †

NewLifeAnime ?

No Name Losers †

VGPerson

I think it goes: "I don't trust people like me." — no, that's not it…

Quote Originally Posted by Namelesss
    Quote me on this, 10 years from now TM will not release a global VN work.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whoa good luck, there were hundreds of them

Even if you stick to the ones who did TM stuff

o7
    don't quote me on this

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thinking of this makes me think of how incredible it is that CentralAnime is still around despite being so old.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    I'm going to strongly suggest you stick to just games/VNs - or at the very least, avoid anime.

When I got involved in anime fansubs in the mid-90s, there were more than 100 active groups, most of which existed to sub exactly one show, and split up after that show. By the early 2000s, there were more than 100 groups just subbing Inuyasha into English. Trying to list all of them would be a Herculean task.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Good luck in your quest. I know I can't help, but any sort of historical research is something I applaud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

'You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory' ResidentSeagull's Avatar
    A comprehensive guide to living in the Balkans: Step 1) Leave
    Godspeed, man. Godspeed...

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Many of the ones who did anime are in AniDB.

Currently they have 15606 groups listed.

https://anidb.net/group/?orderby.nam...=520&virtual=0 (last page of results as of today)
    don't quote me on this

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Is this the gamecreater16 nostalgia thread?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It should be ;_;
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    I forgot about this thread until now…

I like visiting old, forgotten websites and forums (especially the ones that can only be found through each other)… I'll have to finish at least the ones I've found (more than these).

If anyone knows of any important ones, or addition info on these, post here.
    I think it goes: "I don't trust people like me." — no, that's not it…

Quote Originally Posted by Namelesss
    Quote me on this, 10 years from now TM will not release a global VN work.