Page 11 of 104 FirstFirst ... 6910111213162161 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II Case Files Anime

US Friend Code
    Oh I see, it actually is a description of the first novel. Okay.

Caules isn't even in that book.

Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    They don't look that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    "Not attracting too many sides" is about the worst thing TM anime can do. TM isn't some secret club where only the True Fans who read KnK on Nasu's blog in 2001 can watch the anime. Last Encore shot itself in the foot in various ways, but by far the worst offense was alienating its viewerbase by relying on blog entries and drama CDs to clarify things (though since Last Encore itself was decidedly a sequel to Extra, this isn't as big of an issue as it might be on a different show). I get that anime is a multimedia affair now and this stuff is far more accessible to the target audience in Japan than the western side audience, and the success of things like Star Wars proves that the most hardcore fans are all for delving into the expanded universe, but at the end of the day, the anime will remain the most accessible part for everyone and should seek to deliver a complete experience.

inb4 modern anime are just commercials for the source material which i know is true but it doesnt mean i have to like it

I like FMA 03 overall, but I still had some issues with its writing (though I have no idea how many can be attributed to this guy, but I just felt like putting it out there); but nevertheless he has writing credit for the God awful Luger Code (despite the story coming from Haruto Haneki's one-shot, he is still responsible for adapting it) and Big Order (which is a show I love, but it's an ironic love). For Boku no Pico, I think he just took Natural High's concept and wrote a script around it, which I would say is a pretty solid job for the first OVA since it flows pretty well from one scene to the other, but the other two OVAs have dodgier pacing (especially the last one). He also did Mirai Nikki, which I do think had a fairly solid adaptation job. What I take away from his work is that he can play to a source material's strengths, but he tends to dig its pitfalls even deeper. He also seemingly has a problem with writing for more episodes than alotted, but that's more of a personal observation than a proper conclusion I arrived at.

As for Re:Creators, it's not like the show didn't have its moments; the first few episodes were quite promising and there's quite a few well written setpieces up until around episode ten-ish, and the recap episode was a very fun one. After that, though, something happened and the episodes went severely downhill. I'm guessing a prominent scriptwriter (maybe Rei) or director had to step down and leave things in other people's hands. Maybe only the final arc's outline was done and whoever got put in charge of it wasn't a great choice. I haven't looked very much into these particular production stories, but that's what I take away as a viewer.
    Are you sure Katsuhiko Takayama wrote the script for Mirai Nikki? I hate Mirai Nikki, the pretentious edgeiness was too much for me, even after I finished it. Huh, the man also did Shounen Maid Kuro-kun which is one of a handful (what? like 3 in total) of trap hentai in the industry. I loved Baka and Test, Aldnoah Zero was stupid, Shuffle was a ok adaptation. Seems like Takayama's work is a coin flip for good and bad.
    Last edited by SteelBeowulf; December 29th, 2018 at 07:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    So it's Case Files. Cool I guess, I haven't really gotten to read much of the manga, since very little of it has been translated, and I don't read LN's, so maybe the anime will be the medium through which I'll get to experience the whole story................is what I would say, except I see that this is just a special, and not a series? LAME. -_- Give us the whole thing!

"The world is just another word for the things you value around you, right? That's something I've had since I was born. If you tell me to rule such a world, I already rule it."

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    For Mirai Nikki the blame should fall on the mangaka, unless it went anime original. But given Big Order, pretentious edginess seems to be a thing with that guy
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBeowulf View Post
    Are you sure Katsuhiko Takayama wrote the script for Mirai Nikki? I hate Mirai Nikki, the pretentious edgeiness was too much for me, even after I finished it. Huh, the man also did Shounen Maid Kuro-kun which is one of a handful (what? like 3 in total) of trap hentai in the industry. I loved Baka and Test, Aldnoah Zero was stupid, Shuffle was a ok adaptation. Seems like Takayama's work is a coin flip for good and bad.
    As bassgs said, Mirai Nikki's absurdly comical edge and pretentiousness comes from the source material; Takayama was just responsible for series composition (not script as I thought, my bad) and, for the most part, I think he did a pretty good job at pacing it. He took a story I don't find interesting or well written and highlighted its most fun and weird aspects in beats I could follow, and I could genuinely enjoy some bits of it and ironically enjoy other parts. With Big Order, I haven't looked into the material, but I heard a lot more was changed. I have no idea what's anime original, but it was aggressively bad all the way through in a way I found very enjoyable. He's a very mixed bag and I think that in lacking guidance from Urobuchi he sunk his portion of Aldnoah.Zero. He's not the only reason it sucks, but I think he was a key contributor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JetKinen View Post
    aren't Case Files just detective stories with wizards?
    Detective Stories are all pretty formulaic.
    Detective Conan

- - - Updated - - -

"Not attracting too many sides" is about the worst thing TM anime can do. TM isn't some secret club where only the True Fans who read KnK on Nasu's blog in 2001 can watch the anime. Last Encore shot itself in the foot in various ways, but by far the worst offense was alienating its viewerbase by relying on blog entries and drama CDs to clarify things (though since Last Encore itself was decidedly a sequel to Extra, this isn't as big of an issue as it might be on a different show). I get that anime is a multimedia affair now and this stuff is far more accessible to the target audience in Japan than the western side audience, and the success of things like Star Wars proves that the most hardcore fans are all for delving into the expanded universe, but at the end of the day, the anime will remain the most accessible part for everyone and should seek to deliver a complete experience.

inb4 modern anime are just commercials for the source material which i know is true but it doesnt mean i have to like it

i mean, if they just wanted to attract newcomers, then just do it, and not by thinking "hey there are people who watch Zero here, so let's make some connection to do that" or "hey it's from adaptation, so it'll be good to not flesh out all of them, let the audience go to the source material and make some nostalgia shit for the VN reader that newcomer won't understand". Then make some standalone series

Unfortunately for most adaptation, it's not that easy. It's ok to not give inner monologue, but at least give the audience something subtle, like expression or a short monologue
    Last edited by Wandering Swordwoman; December 29th, 2018 at 11:55 PM.
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ADab1za View Post
    MAL doesn't have inside sources, someone one just copied the description.
    Considering the key visual my guess is that this ep will be an introduction ep. Since the first chapter of Case Files 1 is just waver and gray talking about angels.
    Caules doesn't get introduced until vol 4 so he has no reason in the pic other than recognition.
    Therefore, my guess is that this first intro ep is going to follow Caules's first day as a student in the El-Melloi Classroom and him being introduced to all its members. There will probably be a small SOL mystery too.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Fortunately this novel don't have too much inner monologue (it's mostly Gray give impression of an event or a person, and from what I know her thoughts are not really that important to show in anime), most explanation are explained by dialogue with another person and their feelings can be felt from their dialogue with the other person

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rokudaime View Post
    So it's Case Files. Cool I guess, I haven't really gotten to read much of the manga, since very little of it has been translated, and I don't read LN's, so maybe the anime will be the medium through which I'll get to experience the whole story................is what I would say, except I see that this is just a special, and not a series? LAME. -_- Give us the whole thing!
    Where do you know from that it is just OVA?
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Considering the key visual my guess is that this ep will be an introduction ep. Since the first chapter of Case Files 1 is just waver and gray talking about angels.
    Caules doesn't get introduced until vol 4 so he has no reason in the pic other than recognition.
    Therefore, my guess is that this first intro ep is going to follow Caules's first day as a student in the El-Melloi Classroom and him being introduced to all its members. There will probably be a small SOL mystery too.
    That would be cool. The screenshots have one with Zero Waver, so there will be probably some kind of flashback to make sure anime viewers know that Waver and El-Melloi II are the same person.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    TROYCA also made Bloom Into You. Not that it particularly matters, since we don't know who's directing, who's writing and who's doing series composition, all of which are far more important than the studio. Ei Aoki directed both Re:Creators and Aldnoah.Zero, but I'd lay the brunt of the blame on the writers for these two shows' biggest problems. Aldnoah.Zero was written and structured by Katsuhiko Takayama, who penned the controversial FMA 03, Boku no Pico and Luger Code. Re:Creators has far too many scriptwriting credits, the most notable of which are Ei Aoki and Rei Hiroe (Black Lagoon). I think this one crashed and burned due to too many cooks ruining the soup. There's many more problems with both shows, but those were my primary issues. If Ei Aoki directs Case Files but there's a more competent (single) writing credit, I think it has a better shot.
    FMA was written by Shō Aikawa not Takayama and an anime having too many script writers isn't unusual at all.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I also think "attracting too many sides" is something the CF books are intentionally already doing what with how every volume has a cameo character from some other series on the cover (while still summarizing them enough that people who haven't read the thing they're from won't be alienated)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Astroprogs's Avatar
    As I understand, Case Files features characters/cameos from Strange Fake, Apocrypha, Hollow Ataraxia, and of course Zero.

But, does it reference Tsukihime in any way?

Blog Entries
    Of course

Quote Originally Posted by Astroprogs View Post
    As I understand, Case Files features characters/cameos from Strange Fake, Apocrypha, Hollow Ataraxia, and of course Zero.

But, does it reference Tsukihime in any way?
    Add Mahoyo, Kara no Kyoukai and Melty Blood.

Do we know at what time it airs? Or did it air already in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by ADab1za View Post
    FMA was written by Shō Aikawa not Takayama and an anime having too many script writers isn't unusual at all.
    I saw that Aikawa wrote the bulk of the episodes, but I was mistaken in thinking Takayama did series composition for FMA 03.

It's not rare for anime to have too many script writers, assistant directors or anything, but for an original show, it's something symptomatic of a troubled production. That said, I take back my theory that Re:Creators in particular suffered from a rocky production. Both Aoki and Hiroe are credited for series composition and episodes 1 through 22, with four additional credits, leaving every episode but 22 at 3 screenwriters per episode. My speculation that someone had to leave production was almost certainly wrong, since it appears that everyone involved was in it all the way through. Either it was conceived messy to begin with, or too many ideas were tossed around and they felt like taking all of them are my two best guesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

Young Waver has Lelouche face.

US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    oh nice Code Geass cameo
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

He's always looked scrawny so this isn't anything new.