Page 53 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3434851525354555863 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1436

Thread: Fate/Requiem (Spoilers Thread)

Tbh, volume 1 feels like a book long prologue with its only purpose to introduce the characters, the world setting and the plot mystery rather than expand on any of them (FSF vol1 is exactly the same thing). Is not necessarily bad but not having volume 2 publish and follow up on developing Requiem, vol1 just stands weaker on its own and it shows more for being the only point of reference the readers have to check if they like the story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    And how is her relation with Voyager supposed to relate to the theme of death?
    I think it has to do with how Erice (a character heavily code with the theme of death) forms a contract with a servant that apparently doesn't know the concept of death, but that's my reading
    Is interesting as well how in this world where everyone is apparently virtually inmortal (keeping themselves young and healthy with magic), the main antagonist faction seems to be compose from gods of death or with death as an attribute (Nzambi, possible Anubis)

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Is interesting as well how in this world where everyone is apparently virtually inmortal (keeping themselves young and healthy with magic)
    Ah, so this was a sequel to Room of the April Witch all along.

US Friend Code
    I find myself enjoying the world of Requiem and very interested in how it got here, but I have to agree with Lobo that volume 1 felt like an extended prologue. I really wonder what caused volume 2 to be delayed.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
    Tbh, volume 1 feels like a book long prologue with its only purpose to introduce the characters, the world setting and the plot mystery rather than expand on any of them (FSF vol1 is exactly the same thing).
    I think I could accept it a bit more for FSF simply because I latched on to certain characters and their Dynamics harder (though admittedly most of my favourites don't come till 3 volumes in).

I guess because even with it just being set up, the first strange fake volume is rather bombastic

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    It might be the long gap between releases, but the climax felt rushed and impactless. While we see a fair number of locations and Servants, I find it difficult to invest in any of them, and Erice finally contracting with Voyager feels like happenstance instead of the result of any sort of realization, growth, or triumph. A bunch of stuff happens but I don't see much reason to care. Also the Servants feel very everyday, which is the point, but still doesn't help establish gravitas. And how is her relation with Voyager supposed to relate to the theme of death? Also, leaving for Fuyuki after Mosaic City Akibahara is barely an entity is very rushed. It doesn't help matters that Voyager is more of a cryptic cipher than a character.

- - - Updated - - -

Fate/Requiem feels more like Meteo's Notebook Of Super Cool Ideas than it does a cohesive story.
    I do agree that the last act felt rather sudden all round. I kind of expected Erice's contract with Voyager to be a way more intimate affair born of friendship. Pran is cute but him and Erice never really felt close despite being with each other the whole novel
    Last edited by mami-kouga; May 2nd, 2020 at 04:58 AM.

I do hope they dont go the obvious route of 'immortality bad' or 'servants with humans bad', i really genuinely hope they dont

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    i hope they do, because servants have overstayed their welcome and need to be purged.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Byegod View Post
    I do hope they dont go the obvious route of 'immortality bad' or 'servants with humans bad', i really genuinely hope they dont
    I mean I feel like both of those ideas are pretty fundamental to the setting. Being immortal fucks you up and Servants shouldn't dictate the path of living humans. So of course it's going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    I mean I feel like both of those ideas are pretty fundamental to the setting. Being immortal fucks you up and Servants shouldn't dictate the path of living humans. So of course it's going to.
    Can't wait to see how badly done it will be again this time if thats the case

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Finished volume 1. Vindicated and also fairly surprised that I liked it as much as I did, given how hype I was for it at the start of release/in the early days of the TL, but then sorta fell off the wagon once the TL slowed to a crawl. I guess having the full novel available really helps its impact and one's investment in the title. It's definitely a Meteo title, through and through. Also, is it prologue-y? Yes, but not to its detriment. Definitely looking forward to more, and its eventual, currently-delayed F/GO collab event.

Some misc. thoughts re: the volume's content:
    * This may be the most symbolic/theme heavy Fate/ title to date.
    * This may also be my favorite Fate/ setting to date.
    * Mr. Flying Dutchman telling Erice that she'll be involved with a great evil is pretty on-the-nose foreshadowing for her future with Voyager. I mean, I don't hate it, but LOL.
    * The similarities between Karin and Koyo are not lost on me.
    * The Caren cameos might just be a reference/point of familiarity, but I wonder how deliberate this was on behalf of the Grail.
    * On a similar note, I do appreciate just how much went into the setting, with what's said and (for now) goes unsaid. There's definitely room for developments, expansions, reveals, etc.
    *I'm not the first to notice that there's a bunch of Judeo-Christian elements, even for a franchise that's premised around conflicts over a number of Holy Grails. An interesting addendum to that seems to be that the antagonists--or what we know of them for now--seem to be 'pagan' Divine Spirits, so I'm sure Meteo's got some theme based around that dichotomy in store.
    * Kuchime isn't just a Gun God reference, but he's also either suspicious or just a red herring. Either way, Karin's prob gonna get her heart broken. V:
    * My current theory re: Voyager's identity is that he's the Voyager's Golden Record amalgamated with Lucifer/Satan, to bring in those sweet, sweet apocalyptic and Lightbringer murmurings.

I kind of expected Erice's contract with Voyager to be a way more intimate affair born of friendship. Pran is cute but him and Erice never really felt close despite being with each other the whole novel

I'll respectfully agree to disagree.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Can't really argue with that , literally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Maybe cause I'm used to a certain level of devotion/bonding exercises between my servant-master pairs, I just could never feel it. Erice seemed more drawn to the concept of Pran and Pran is....Pran

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I mean, the content is there, but whether it's effective or not at conveying a progression in their relationship is down to the reader's opinions.

That, and I will fully cop to liking spacey (haha, double meanings) characters like Voyager, so I'll admit to a small bias there.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    Can't really argue with that , literally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Maybe cause I'm used to a certain level of devotion/bonding exercises between my servant-master pairs, I just could never feel it. Erice seemed more drawn to the concept of Pran and Pran is....Pran
    I think that was the idea that this was trying to convey. Heck, I think they put it in words in some parts.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Fate/Requiem 2: Shinjuku, the City of Dreams release date is June 12nd.

Last edited by Comun; May 17th, 2020 at 05:47 AM.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Drat, it would come out when I'm completely broke.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Shinjuku, not Fuyuki?

Can't wait for the FGO references.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Hawkeye's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, perhaps this is something we fans have overlooked. Since we're so used to Fuyuki, we automatically assumed Erice would know where to look. Though perhaps in the world of Requiem, it's no longer called Fuyuki, or isn't even there. So it's probable that that's where Erice's story is gonna come to an end instead of the next leg and she's gonna have to go looking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    are MILFS and lolis the only two types of women you think exist in Ireland?
    Galleries for Stuff
    Gallery for Fate/GUDAGUDA Order
    http://imgur.com/a/4ErFN

Gallery for Learning with Manga! GO
    http://imgur.com/a/qlLc5#0

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's called Memory City Shinjuku. She might be searching for a forgotten Fuyuki there.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

The book synopsis on the TM website does call Fuyuki a lost abandoned city
    “聖杯戦争”を終わらせよう―――この世界を壊そう。
    宇津見エリセは、金色の少年に誓う。
    少女は、世界で最後に召喚されたサーヴァントと共に、失われた“廃都フユキ”探索の旅に出る。
    荒廃し《聖杯》に再構成されたモザイク市に生きる者たちの営み。臨海都市《秋葉原》から、懐想都市《新宿》 へ。さらに未知なる地へ。やがて再び死の影が追いすがる。
    彼女はまだ、自分の運命を知らない。
    Remembering the increase of the water level on this world, it wouldn't surprise me if Fuyuki got submerged under water

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    I'm getting One Piece/Berserk 7.5 year boat arc vibes.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Oh yeah. Fuyuki is a seaside city.