Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Sin (IC)

Act 1. Of Witches and Demons

Just how far will you go to achieve your goals? How much more will you sacrifice?

???
    Inferno-Seven Sins Secure Location
    ???

A heavy atmosphere filled the room. Six people filled seven chairs around a large table. These were the six heads of the Seven Sins. An emergency meeting had been called, and each of them had been summoned to this hidden headquarters to discuss the irregular incident that had occurred the previous day.

Or to put it bluntly, an air of blame and resentment filled the room, all directed at one person, the same person who had called the meeting. Julius of the 'Pride' faction. Perhaps because his faction was the largest he felt secure in his position as the de-facto leader, but it was clear that none of the other five were particularly intimidated.

Julius, for his part, sat back in his chair, seemingly completely oblivious to the animosity directed at him. Completely calm and cool, he began.

"Friends, I have called you all here to-"

"Okay, no point in playing dumb. What the hell was that stunt you pulled? Such a brazen attack in broad daylight on one of the council of seven? Are you absolutely insane?" Sen slammed the table with her fist.

"Wrath is right. I believe... there had been an agreement reached that our only course of action would be to simply observe. The Night Parade also agreed to this arrangement."

"I never agreed to that arrangement," Julius replied bluntly.

"And just why is that I wonder..."

"Because I recognized the inevitable and decided to act. For the sake of all of our livelihoods. You all think that it was possible to simply wait and respond to what... Loki is planning. But regardless, she would have intensified her war against us. That's why I decided to launch an alpha strike-"

"And how did that turn out for you. It seems like your forces were soundly routed. You even had some of your contractors removed from the board."

"I'll admit, I had hoped for a bit more success. I had not expected the Eden special forces to interfere... I did not think Loki would call for them. As for the losses, don't worry..." At these words, Julius smiled. At this point, the other five became aware of numerous presences entering the room. "Barely a minor dent that has already been accounted for."

Dozens of Julius's soldiers stood scatted throughout the room, their attention focused on the other five leaders in the center. However, it was clear that these weren't simply normal humans. Every single one of them... had made a contract with a devil and obtained power. Even if each of the heads individually surpassed them by far, the sheer numbers that Julius had assembled threatened to overwhelm them with sheer quantity.

It was both a show of force showcasing his faction's power as well as a threat to anyone who would not fall in line.

"Tsk. You've really been preparing for this for a long time haven't you? Working hard outside of everybody's eyes?"

"I don't understand the dissatisfaction in your voice, Wrath. I'm simply showing my allies that they have no need to be concerned," Julius replied smoothly, with a sinister smile on his face.

At this provocation, Sen smirked, leaned back and kicked her feet on the table.

"I fully understand now. However, if you're talking about allies, aren't we missing one? We are the Seven Sins after all."

The sound of steam hissed through the room. The heavy steel door... melted in an instant. Outside it stood a young man, whose body was covered in numerous burns. Without taking notice, he walked over to the table and took a seat at an empty chair.

"I'm glad you could make it Lust. I was worried when you weren't showing up. After all, an emergency meeting summoning all the leaders of the Seven Sins surely wouldn't deliberately exclude on of said leaders, right? Ah, is it getting a bit warm in here? You're starting to sweat, Pride."

Mattias turned his face to face Julius. There was no expression in Mattias's face. However, it was clear from Julius's reaction that the situation had changed. He no longer had the upper hand where he could just force his desired outcome through.

This was a demon who possessed the power to completely disregard any numbers that Julius could assemble against him. A dangerous element that had to be handled with care.

"I'm glad you could make it Lust. I did not think you would come."

"I... was not aware that there was a meeting. I was only informed at the last second by Wrath. What is the meaning of this, Pride."

"My apologies, Lust. I simply did not think this meeting would be relevant to your interests."

"If the city interferes with my feud, then this will become a problem for me... Pride."

"..." Julius paused. When he next spoke, he spoke carefully, as if he navigating a minefield.

"I believe that the city would have stepped into your affairs regardless. Even if I may have accelerated the process, the end result was inevitable. However, I do not believe that I accelerated this timeline at all, but this was something Loki was already planning on implementing anyway. If anything, I was hoping to end her threat towards us for good as effectively as possible."

"So you acted on your own for the good of the organization?"

"That is correct."

"...Pride." Mattias's gaze almost seemed to burn holes into Julius's body. "Your conflict with Loki and the city feels... personal."

At these words, the other five heads raised an eyebrow. This was rather unexpected from the rather cold and logical Julius.

"...Even if that is true, the fact that my actions were for the good of the organization and lifestyle is also true. Rather than deal with what happened, we should focus on providing a united front to deal with this new outer threat from the city."

After deliberating on it for a bit, Mattias gave a small nod. It seemed that this was acceptable enough, for now.

Julius gave a small sigh of relief. At last, it was time to get back to work.

Theola August
    Inferno
    Morning

'Just what is going on,' Theola thought to herself, as she found herself sitting at a cafe table, idly waiting. Of all the ways for this day to have begun, this certainly was not one of them.

It had began the same as any other day. She woke up, brushed her teeth and generally prepared for the workday ahead. Considering the events of the previous day, it promised to be a busy one ahead of her.

The issue came once she left her home. There was a stranger right outside, patiently waiting for her. Or perhaps stranger might be too harsh a word, considering that Theola had met her rather recently, but it was apt considering how little Theola knew about her.

It was the woman who had been part of the special forces that Theola encountered yesterday. She looked up at Theola now that she had finally exited her residence.

"Ah, Captain Theola. I did say we would probably be seeing each other soon."

This really wasn't what Theola had expected when she had heard those words yesterday.

"Anyway, let's talk. I'm sure there are things that you want to discuss, and it's the same for me."

With those words, Theola found herself being almost swept along the woman's pace until she at last arrived at her current situation.

A part of her felt that she was wasting her time when there was important work to be done at the office, and yet another part of her was telling her that this was an important opportunity.

As for the stranger, she seemed currently engrossed in studying the menu laid before her.

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

Asher was currently at a loss for what to do. Because of his beliefs and convictions, he had brought the heavily injured enemy he fought back to his home last night. There was no way he could have just abandoned Pike on the battlefield in his mind.

Just the same, there was no way that he could leave someone who had tried to kill him free to do whatever she pleased in his home. Using various cables and anything else that could be used as ropes that were laying around his house and restrained her while she was still unconscious.

Fast forward to the present, where he found himself being glared daggers at by the currently bound Pike laying on his sofa.

Gremory
    Inferno
    Morning

It had been a rather eventful night, to say the least. At some point, a group of guards suddenly entered Gremory's cell, and essentially kidnapped her to a new location. Well, she had started in a cell, and ended in a cell, so from a certain perspective nothing had exactly changed in her situation. However, it was certainly something to think about, or rather what this action meant for her.

There was no windows in her current cell so it was hard to judge the passage of time. However, Gremory was able to roughly estimate that it was probably morning.

Suddenly, a door slid open. A single woman walked through it, and the door closed after her. She had a cold gaze about her, and seemed to extrude an air on no nonsense. She sat down on the bench against the wall opposite of Gremory, observing her, and then looking down at some files she had brought.

She seemed entirely unconcerned to the fact that she was essentially alone with a potentially dangerous (?) criminal.

At last she spoke up.

"I don't normally do this sort of thing, because it is fairly outside my range of duties. However, this could potentially be somewhat of an abnormal situation. So let's get straight to business, Miss Leila. Could you tell me about the words you spoke yesterday? I have a feeling you know exactly which ones I'm talking about."

Spoiler:

Miss Lux

Ashley Harker
    Inferno
    Morning

Even though the unexpected events yesterday had dealt a bit of a blow to Harker's morale, he could not let it get him down.

To begin with, he was already investigating a certain issue. And his searches yesterday were not completely unsuccessful in that regard. He had a lead to follow up on.

That's why currently he found himself in an Underground Colosseum. However, despite it's grand title it wasn't really all that. Simply two men beating one another for the cheers of the audience.

But it was too tame. Too many rules to prevent things from going too far. It seems almost paradoxical to consider, but it was almost 'wholesome'. What Harker needed was a place much darker, much less restrained, outside the public eye where only the demented and deviants go. It was there that he felt, he would find more answers.

Of course the issue was that he had no idea of how to reach that place. That's why he came here instead. There was no doubt that there had to be some path he could take, somebody here who had the connections to that place that Harker needed to go.

Lukas Ignazio
    Inferno-Plaza
    Morning

Lukas found himself absentmindedly attending his church, sweeping the floors and tidying the pews. It wasn't a day of service, so he wasn't expecting visitors for today and this type of mindless action helped him meditate and reflect.

So when the door to his church was suddenly flung open, his brain jolted in surprise. A young man, seemingly desperate and almost crazed slammed the doors shut and then dashed into the church at Lukas, before throwing himself to the ground right before him. His entire body seemed to be shaking with fear, and he was sweating large amounts. His hands were clasped together almost as if he was in prayer as he prostrated himself before Lukas.

"Father please, help me."
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"Ah. You're up..."

Considering her prior collapse, fractures, bruises and other wounds, the question in Asher's mind wasn't when she would wake. Instead it was if she would wake at all. This situation caught him off guard, the girl had been tough sure, but to think she was strong enough to wake up far earlier than Asher had thought possible. She may have lost in a battle of wills, but that didn't mean her will was weak.

"How are your wounds? Ah wait, let me get you something for the pain first."

He rushed off to the kitchen, unsure of how to face her. He knew instinctively that leaving her alone on that plaza was akin to a death sentence, maybe worse. But now that she's actually managed to recover somewhat, what was he supposed to do.

Alright calm down, calm down. This is nothing. This is fine, I've helped plenty of wounded strangers before. Only difference is that this one probably wants me dead...

A deep sigh escaped his mouth.

...Why did I bother saving her... idiot.

He took a few deep breaths as he filled a cup with tapwater. His mind was clouded with doubts regarding his prior judgement.

Why did I save her, wasn't I long past the point of kindness and caring. Didn't I steel my heart for the sake of my dream. Didn't I make a deal with the ultimate evil to trample any who dares stand in my way? Wasn't I done caring for the weak and unfortunate?

And yet, he did take her away from that plaza. Away from the remaining combatants, the elite forces. Away from danger, to a place of safety. Or at least as safe as can be in the Inferno.

She was an enemy. She'd fought hard to the very end, and she had lost. But unlike other times, she had collapsed midway her final assault. The battle had ended and with it did Asher's frenzied state. She just laid there, defenseless and without hope. Ready to be either bleed outvor be taken away by the police.

She didn't deserve that after giving it her all. Leaving her there alone was simply not an option after all.

Seems I still have a ways to go.

He returned with a glass of water and some painkillers to his bound prisoner. While she was unconcious bandaging her up had been easy enough, but now that she was awake administring any medication would prove more challenging. Especially since the girl still kept up her deathstare!

"Right, Pike was it? I'm sure you have questions. I would too. But before that, I think we'd both prefer it that you'd take these."

Carefully and slowly he brought the glass over, pills in hand. Watching for any sudden movements.

"This goes without saying but, don't try anything stupid. If you feel confident enough to continue our fight I'll be sure to end it, alright?"

Soon enough Ash will be here and take her away. I'll never see her again and I can pretend this never happened.

"Okay, drink up. Then we'll talk."
    Last edited by Zurvan; December 17th, 2019 at 11:41 AM.

Theola August
    Inferno
    Morning

“…Right. You did say something like that.”

Considering the events of the previous day, Theola had no illusions about having a nice, peaceful day today. It would likely be hectic, full of busy work- after all, the day before had a public attack by the city’s underworld, one that could even be considered a success, since they managed to disrupt the governor’s activities even if they did not succeed in assassinating her. She would most certainly have to report to the chief, discuss what had happened during the operation and their future plans- today there was even supposed to be a fairly important meeting on this subject.

And, there was still the matter of the girl she had fought that day- someone she knew very well.

Despite all these pressing issues…

…here she was.

At a café with this woman, who could by all rights be called a stranger- they did not really know each other personally, although it seemed like the woman might know her much more than the other way around. Theola herself only knew a little- that she was a member of an elite team, related to the top of the city, and she was there at the incident during the cleanup. That little was enough for her to agree to this trip.

“I think I have a fairly good idea, but an introduction would be nice. You didn’t give any when we met in that alleyway.”

And, casually, like it had only just come mind, she continued.

“And speaking of that alley… what happened with the unconscious girl who was there when your team came barging in?”

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"Ah. You're up..."

"How are your wounds? Ah wait, let me get you something for the pain first."
    Asher moved to the kitchen, feeling uncertain. The fact that she was up and awake with those injuries could already be considered miraculous. Perhaps this healing is an innate passive granted to her from her contract? Or maybe it's just her natural stubbornness.

Complicated feelings swirled inside his head, tinged with some minor regret.

He eventually returned with a glass of water and some painkillers to a still sulking Pike.

"Right, Pike was it? I'm sure you have questions. I would too. But before that, I think we'd both prefer it that you'd take these.

This goes without saying but, don't try anything stupid. If you feel confident enough to continue our fight I'll be sure to end it, alright?

Okay, drink up. Then we'll talk."
    Pike glared at Asher some more and then looked away. Rather, she stared at the wall opposite where Asher stood.

"I don't want it, and I don't need it. Don't worry, I couldn't really do anything in my current state even if I wanted too."

It seemed that she at least understood her current situation, even if she wasn't happy about it.

"Let's talk then. I'll start. What the fuck are you doing. Who do you think you are, some kind of hero, showing pity to enemies? You do this to everyone who tries to kill you? I know I'm really not in a state to say this, but you won't live long like that."

Theola August
    Inferno
    Morning

“…Right. You did say something like that.”
    “I think I have a fairly good idea, but an introduction would be nice. You didn’t give any when we met in that alleyway.”

“And speaking of that alley… what happened with the unconscious girl who was there when your team came barging in?”
    The woman put down her menu and looked at Theola with a thoughtful expression on her face.

"An introduction... that's true. I deliberately didn't give any when we met before after all."

"Hmm... It's not like I'm unwilling, but more like my hands are tied? The situation is surprisingly complicated... ah how to explain it?"

The woman rambled to herself, seemingly spouting nonsense until she at last seemed to give up and shrug.

"It's probably easier to just show you. My name is ------"

A loud screeching sound echoed through Theola's mind. It was like a swarm of metallic bees suddenly spawned inside her brain the moment the woman was about to pronounce her name. Theola couldn't help but wince at the sudden sensation.

For her part, the woman looked rather apologetic.

"Basically, my name has been stripped from me by... let's call it a 'higher power'. In that sense, I am currently nameless... ah! How about you simply call me 'Nameless' then?"

No magical mental censor appeared in Theola's head that time, so it seemed like this was an acceptable compromise for whatever rule governed Nameless's name.

"As for your other question... How about we do an exchange? After all, there are several things I want to ask you as well. In other words, I'll answer your question, and then you answer mine, and then we repeat and so on. In which case, I'll begin. That girl was taken to a special holding cell for now. After all, based on her weapon we found, she's been confirmed to have made a contract with a Devil."

The woman's tone was rather carefree, even though her words were rather serious and likely classified.

"Now it's my turn. From what I heard, you basically turned out suddenly out of nowhere one day and joined the force, right? What made you decide to do so? A stable job? A sense of justice? Some other reason?"
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Theola August
    Inferno
    Morning

“Not having a name must not make you very popular with your coworkers.”

Shooting back a small quip at the mysterious woman sitting across from her, Theola’s thoughts were anything but as lackadaisical as her attitude might have suggested. The phenomenon that had occurred just now was no joke, by any stretch. She just didn’t have any better response immediately available.

If she was to think on it a little more… then it was certainly very strange that an individual like this had been allowed to work in the upper echelons of the force.

The trade she proposed was not an idea that Theola would have been fond of- that she had begun by asking about her past was a bit of an ominous sign. However, it was clear that talking with this woman could give her access to information that would be hard to obtain otherwise. She seemed like the type who was rather free with her mouth. A chance like this wouldn’t come very often.

“All right, Miss…” Theola paused for a bit, before deciding to go along with the woman’s proposal. “…Nameless. I’ll accept your offer. Let’s trade.”

Her first question wasn’t one that was hard to answer. Something about this made her wary of telling any lies, but in this case the truth was not one that was hard to provide.

“My reason for joining the force is simple. I thought it was wrong to sit by and do nothing.”

As she spoke, she stared outside of the café to the city at large- a place where only yesterday a massive terrorist attack had occurred, and where no doubt all sorts of criminal activities were still taking place.

“I think everyone who grows up in this city realizes there’s something not right with how things are being done around here. I simply realized that I could not in good conscience continue to wait for someone else to handle it- to pass off a problem that I need to solve to someone else. That’s why I joined. …I guess you could say it’s a sense of justice, but I think that makes it sound grander and more noble than it really is.”

There were, of course, some greater details about her circumstances, but in the end it all boiled down to what she had just told the woman across from her. There was no need to dress things up or include any useless details- details that would soon be forgotten.

“I believe that should answer your question, so next would be my turn."

Her gaze focusing again to the woman before her, Theola tossed Nameless her own question.

"You said she was confirmed to have contracted with a Devil, correct? I’m afraid I haven’t dealt with many cases like this, so I’m curious to hear about it in some more detail- what happens next, exactly?”

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"Guess I deserved that." Asher mumbled under his breath. He relaxed a little bit hearing that Pike is currently largely incapable of doing any harm. Well, other than with words.

Her recovery is miraculous, or it would be if she wasn't a fellow devil contractor. Impossible feats are a lot more possible to them.

He went to sit on the chair opposite of her, leaving the glass of water on the table along with the pain medication.

"I... well, it's not like I couldn't kill you or something. I've put down plenty of idiots dumb enough to start a fight with me. I'm not a hero, far from it."

He scratched the back of his head in slight annoyance as he continued.

"But... look I don't really know why I did what I did. If you would've come at me in some dodgy alley I'd have left you there to die. Or if you were intent on ruining my life, I'd end your miserable life. But it wasn't like that. You fell in the middle of a giant brawl. Leaving you there, well... it just didn't feel right."

The slight annoyance in Asher's voice has transformed into a more awkward one.

"After that I just, kind of took you here... still not sure what to do with you... But since you are here, why don't you tell me about what your group was planning to do there."

The grunts of the operation likely didn't have any worthwhile intel, but it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway.

Theola August
    Inferno
    Morning

“Not having a name must not make you very popular with your coworkers.”
    "Ah...there's not much I can do about that. At the very least, I haven't heard any complaints."

Nameless's replied in a carefree manner to Theola's quip. Even ignoring the strange phenomena earlier, she really was an odd person. It was sort of surprising that such an odd individual had such a presumably high position in the force.

Then again, it wasn't really like she had many people to compare her too.

“All right, Miss…Nameless. I’ll accept your offer. Let’s trade.”
    Nameless motioned for Theola to continue with what she was doing.

“My reason for joining the force is simple. I thought it was wrong to sit by and do nothing.”

“I think everyone who grows up in this city realizes there’s something not right with how things are being done around here. I simply realized that I could not in good conscience continue to wait for someone else to handle it- to pass off a problem that I need to solve to someone else. That’s why I joined. …I guess you could say it’s a sense of justice, but I think that makes it sound grander and more noble than it really is.”
    Nameless nodded to herself, listening to Theola's words. Despite her easygoing manner, her eyes gazed intently at Theola, causing the latter to feel some discomfort. Theola just couldn't figure out how to read this person. However, does that mean that she was unable to read her?Theola forcibly pushed such thoughts out of her head and continued.

“I believe that should answer your question, so next would be my turn. You said she was confirmed to have contracted with a Devil, correct? I’m afraid I haven’t dealt with many cases like this, so I’m curious to hear about it in some more detail- what happens next, exactly?”
    "Hmmm... that is correct. Very well then. You can probably guess though. Since it is considered the taboo of taboos, the most likely outcome is execution. Even if the death penalty is avoided, she can probably say farewell to any possibility of freedom. Well, this is under normal circumstances anyway."

She leaned back into her chair, a thoughtful smile still on her face. Then shrugged before leaning forward in a sort of exaggerated fashion and whispering to Theola.

"I really probably shouldn't be saying this, but ah well. Given that this is Inferno, it does all come down to Leona's whims. And considering your heroics the other day, you could say she owes you one. I'm sure if you press her as a favor, you could have her fate turned over to you, if you so desired."

By the time Theola looked up, Nameless had already returned to her previous posture.

"My turn now... hmmm... It sounds like you're joined out of some sense of obligation, but on the other hand nobody asked right? A sense of justice certainly sounds noble, but it's meaning changes from person to person. So tell me about it. About the justice that drives you, Theola August, and how far you'll go to achieve it."

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"I... well, it's not like I couldn't kill you or something. I've put down plenty of idiots dumb enough to start a fight with me. I'm not a hero, far from it."

"But... look I don't really know why I did what I did. If you would've come at me in some dodgy alley I'd have left you there to die. Or if you were intent on ruining my life, I'd end your miserable life. But it wasn't like that. You fell in the middle of a giant brawl. Leaving you there, well... it just didn't feel right."

"After that I just, kind of took you here... still not sure what to do with you... But since you are here, why don't you tell me about what your group was planning to do there."

"Tch-"

Pike clicked her tongue in distaste. She clearly wasn't satisfied with Asher's response. Or perhaps she couldn't comprehend it?

Well, even if she wasn't happy about it, there wasn't really much else she could do other than potentially spew insults and curses.

But at the least, it didn't seem like it was going to come to that. She actually seemed kind of surprised by the question.

"Isn't it obvious? A surprise assault, a declaration of war on the government of the city. We were here to take Loki's head, and cause as much chaos and collateral damage as we could. Really send a message to those bastards in charge, that if they want to play hardball, we can hit back just as hard."

She grinned maliciously as she reminisced.

"Besides it felt good to not hold back and let it all go out. To step outside in the public where all those weaklings can see and cower in fear. This is the way it should be, not the current state where the 'strong' have to hide and sulk in the shadows."

Suddenly her thoughts returned to her current situation and she resumed her glare.

"Until a certain someone had to ruin my fun."

Honk

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"I'm not sorry for kicking your ass, Pike."

Hearing Pike's words left a bitter and pained expression on Asher's face.

She seemed almost joyful as she spoke of inflicting pain and causing havoc among the people that had gathered in the plaza. The policemen that desired order, the gang members that were curious and wanted to see what was going to happen, as well as the innocent civilians that had come out to see the Governess of the Inferno with their own eyes.

None of them deserved the carnage that awaited them. The crimes that the Pride Faction had wrought.

But the worst of it, was that Asher couldn't refute her.

After all, ever since accepting that infernal contract, he felt it too. Causing strife, going all out, hurting any and all that stood in the way of his dream...

...it did feel good.

And yet, he couldn't accept such behavior. Deep down he still held onto his good-hearted soul and his innocent wish.

A living contradiction, such is the duality of man.

"Is the Pride faction filled with idiots? The Council would simply replace one member while bringing down further hell onto the people here, innocent or guilty."

He groaned, it wasn't so long ago that he himself wondered if the Seven Sins planned an attack on Loki, but to think that one of them decided to go against the rest.

I guess the leader is as prideful as their faction suggests.

"And what's this nonsense about cowering and sulking in the shadows. The 'strong', no the truly strong, they understand the value of being unseen. People like us, we don't have the numbers to win a war. Far better to be out of sight, and with it out of the minds of the police."

Choosing your battles, avoiding getting injured needlessly. Someone that fights just to fight something, such a person can't be reasoned with.

"Please tell me that your boss isn't so stupid to begin a fight that can't be won."
    Last edited by Zurvan; February 19th, 2020 at 04:53 PM.

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"I'm not sorry for kicking your ass, Pike."
    Pike winced at those words. More than her current wounds, words like that stung much more deeply.

"Is the Pride faction filled with idiots? The Council would simply replace one member while bringing down further hell onto the people here, innocent or guilty."
    She frowned hearing those words. Nobody particularly likes being insulted, but she was unable to refute those words. Or rather, she had no idea, no information, no real insight to offer. The workings of the Council were a mystery to the common person after all. It wouldn't be that surprising if someone like the head of her faction knew some information hidden from the public, but given what she's heard of the man, it was also just as likely that the reason was a lie and Juluis had ulterior motives for the attack.

"And what's this nonsense about cowering and sulking in the shadows. The 'strong', no the truly strong, they understand the value of being unseen. People like us, we don't have the numbers to win a war. Far better to be out of sight, and with it out of the minds of the police."
    "That very line of thinking is weak. A weakness that infests your very being. The strong are meant to rule over the weak, and what kind of king would cower from the populace she rules over. What's the point of power if you are forced to hide it."

Pike spat out with venom in her voice.

"Please tell me that your boss isn't so stupid to begin a fight that can't be won."
    "...Obviously. The fact that he's picking a fight means it can be won, no that it's likely for his side to win. Don't you know who he is?"

Her voice wavered just a tiny bit. Just a little bit of doubt. There is no doubt that it was not in the Pride's leaders character to start a fight he didn't believe he could win. But still...

Pike was a person who had abandoned thinking for the sake of strength. But she had been overcome, and now all she had left was her thoughts.

Honk

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"...Obviously. The fact that he's picking a fight means it can be won, no that it's likely for his side to win. Don't you know who he is?"
    "No, I don't. All I have is his name. But since he decided to start a war, he's in my way."

There is no fear or hesitation in Asher's words. Any that stand in the way of his dream are his enemies. And Julius, who just plunged the Inferno further into hell, had giving himself a big target on his back.

"Fitting he's the leader of the Pride faction, as he too seems to be blinded by pride to see that he lost. None of you even had a chance to take Loki down. All you did was show of your supposed strength. And as far as I can tell, you failed.

Pike has had it rough. Her whole view on power was tested, and now she was stuck in the house of an enemy that had shown mercy to her. She who believed that the strong should thrive and dominate, had been beaten, and was then spared. It challenged her very nature, what she believed was right and what was true.

"If you think that the strong need to reveal themselves from the shadows then tell me, where was Julius? Where was your great and powerful leader, who you've joined on his crusade of making this hellhole even worse."

And now that same enemy is painting a broader picture of the reality she finds herself in, pointing out the mistakes in judgement she may have made. Neither could know the true intentions of Julius, but could Pike had been mistaken?

"You know what I think Pike, I think he was hiding in the shadows. Just like the other leaders, who aren't stupid enough to show themselves. Who understand the value of shadows, and when to show their strength."

Could Asher be right?

"As long as you don't understand that, no matter how strong you are, you'll end up losing. Time after time."

His rant comes at an end, giving her some time to take it all in and stew. Asher doesn't take pleasure in seeing this girl grow angrier, but being someone's pawn and fighting for terrible motivations don't sit right by him either. And so, he spoke his mind.

"Being someone else's pawn doesn't suit you Pike. Fighting for someone else's sake doesn't seem like you. What are you even fighting for, just to prove yourself?"

If she doesn't want to be helped, so be it. But if there's even a chance that Asher can get through to that thick skull of hers, then perhaps she won't need to suffer like this again.

It would seem that deep down Asher is still too kind for this place after all.

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"No, I don't. All I have is his name. But since he decided to start a war, he's in my way."

"Fitting he's the leader of the Pride faction, as he too seems to be blinded by pride to see that he lost. None of you even had a chance to take Loki down. All you did was show of your supposed strength. And as far as I can tell, you failed.
    "Perhaps you're the one who is unable to see. What do you know. You're not one of us. You wouldn't understand."

"If you think that the strong need to reveal themselves from the shadows then tell me, where was Julius? Where was your great and powerful leader, who you've joined on his crusade of making this hellhole even worse."
    "Worse for who? Pests who don't matter in the slightest. Julius has a plan... he always comes out on top..."

"You know what I think Pike, I think he was hiding in the shadows. Just like the other leaders, who aren't stupid enough to show themselves. Who understand the value of shadows, and when to show their strength."

"As long as you don't understand that, no matter how strong you are, you'll end up losing. Time after time."

"Being someone else's pawn doesn't suit you Pike. Fighting for someone else's sake doesn't seem like you. What are you even fighting for, just to prove yourself?"

"And what does that make you? What are you fighting for? Talking so high and mighty just because you got a lucky blow."

"I could tell you know. After I woke up and thought about what happened. You're not that much stronger than me. Not by a long shot. You just happened to win the coin flip this time, is all."

The two glared at each other. Suddenly a knock on the door broke the tension between them.

A sense of relief flooded Asher. That must be Ash, finally here to take Pike off his hands.

Asher quickly made his way to the entrance. Just as he was about to reach out to open the door-

A loud cracking sound. Asher instinctively jumped back and managed to avoid being hit in the face as the door was kicked open. Standing at the entrance was not the man he was expecting, but rather a somewhat flashily dressed young woman. Asher was about to say something but she turned to face him and the words died in his throat. The sheer force that could be felt from her gaze...

"Sorry about that, Asher." A familiar voice spoke up. Standing to the side was Ash. "I was going to come earlier but our boss wanted to tag along. I think she has some additional personal business she wants to discuss. Don't worry about the door, I'll repair that, good as new." With those words, the two of them strode into Asher's home, Ash stopping to inspect the door while the woman made her way further inside, as if it were own place.

"So this is your place, huh... Asher was it? Ash was talking about you and I got curious so I wanted to come see for myself, so here I am," the woman spoke as she made her way into the living room.

Following behind her, Asher managed to see Pike's reaction the moment she saw who else had entered the room.

For the first time, a different side.

Recoiling in fear.

"Sen..."

Honk

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

Quote Originally Posted by Pike
    "I could tell you know. After I woke up and thought about what happened. You're not that much stronger than me. Not by a long shot. You just happened to win the coin flip this time, is all."
    "No Pike, there was no damn coin flip, luck had nothing to do with it. The reason you lost isn't as simple as a difference in power or being lucky. The reason you lost is because you're an idiot. An idiot with nothing to fight for."

This girl has managed to evoke a myriad of emotions in Asher. From blood lust to mercy, from worry to pity, and now that pity has turned to anger. She refuses to listen, and worse yet she's praising the guy who threw her and many other underlings under the bus.

"That's why you lost. And why you'll continue to lose time and time again. Because you have nothing, no ideals, no convictions, no dreams, nothing to back up your borrowed strength. Even your belief in Julius is half-assed. You could never win against me. And I'll continue to win until I -----."

A knock on the door interrupts Asher's final burst. The tension between the two faded as relief replaces the feeling of anger.

Oh thank god.

Walking over to open the door, to the man who'd surely save Asher from this hellish girl, but---

A loud crack betrays his salvation. The door comes flying and as it barely misses Asher, who dodged it through instinct.

---The one that's behind the door wasn't Ash. Instead Asher meets the gaze of another girl from hell.

...Oh fuck.

Her gaze alone is enough to stop Asher in his tracks, no words being able to escape his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash
    "Sorry about that, Asher."
    Asher shot a look at the one he had expected, one of slight panic and annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sen
    "So this is your place, huh... Asher was it? Ash was talking about you and I got curious so I wanted to come see for myself, so here I am,"
    "...Ah, uh, welcome, Sen. I, I didn't expect to meet you like this."

Events were unfolding at an alarming rate. Meeting Sen so early on certainly didn't feel comfortable- the very air in stifling around her- but perhaps this is a good omen.

A clear show that Asher's lifelong dream, is coming to fruition.

Her gaze meets the terrified and trapped Pike.

"Ah, that's Pike, a member of the Pride Faction... do with her as you please."

Seeing this change in her demeanor, Asher thought to himself: Even if Julius always comes out on top... the people he uses as tools won't.

No more mercy would be granted to the girl of Pride.

"You are here for her, right?"

Theola August
    Inferno
    Morning

“… I haven’t the slightest clue what you’re trying to imply, but I will keep that in mind.”

Truth be told, what Nameless was saying earlier was quite troubling for two reasons.

The first was that she seemed to suspect Theola of holding special sympathies towards a figure who had sunk to the lowest of the low- a devil contractor. From what she had said, society would not be lenient at all against those who had committed the taboo, and so to be affiliated with her was… problematic.

The second reason was that she was correct. Their relationship be as it may, execution was not exactly a fate she would have wished upon her former comrade. The advice Nameless had given her was something she would have to consider.

But regardless, now that she had found out, there was nothing much she could do about it.

“You’re asking me about my sense of justice…?”

She repeated the question, amusement clear in her voice.

“Justice is justice. There is nothing more that needs to be said- as you say, the meaning of justice changes from person to person. …Or so I would like to say, but considering our deal, it hardly seems fair.”

If it had been up to her, Theola would have simply ended her response there- after all, in her view justice was something that was natural- a sense of right or wrong that did not require further explanation or justification. So to ask her to describe it in more details was a difficult question, but at the same time given that Nameless had been nothing but cooperative with her so far, it was hardly a sufficient answer.

“Justice means punishing the guilty and saving the innocent. There is no glory itself in fighting or combat, but justice is something that makes these acts acceptable or even noble- something worth fighting for even if it means putting yourself at risk.”

Staring directly at Nameless, Theola responded as plainly as possible. Even so, she could not shake the feeling that her answer was somehow insufficient- not for herself, of course, but her conversation partner. Despite Theola’s personal suspicions about the woman, it was true that she had been nothing but helpful in their exchange so far. To give an unsatisfactory answer and ask for more in this exchange…

“Is that satisfactory? If not, then I do not mind if you would rather ask another question instead. I do not believe I can describe it better to you.”

… one might say that Theola felt it would be wrong to do. Unjust, even. Hence, her offer to allow Nameless another question if she so wished.

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"...Ah, uh, welcome, Sen. I, I didn't expect to meet you like this."
    "No need to be so stiff. Life will go easier if you can stay relaxed."

"Ah, that's Pike, a member of the Pride Faction... do with her as you please.

You are here for her, right?"
    "Pike? Pride... right right. Ash mentioned something like that. How you defeated and captured one of Julius's contractor shock troops from the incident. In other words, a troublemaker that's part of the root cause for the mayhem we find ourselves in."

Sen glanced over at the bound Pike, who flinched and cowered back. Of all the people that Pike expected to show up, Sen was probably the most traumatic for her.

In contrast, Sen didn't seem to particularly care that much.

"I'm kind of surprised she's still around your place to be honest. I thought you would have gotten rid of her already."

"No, I'm not here for her, although I guess you might say I'm here because of her." She smirked as she turned to face Asher.

"In fact, I am here for you. There is some business that I would like to take, let's say take care of."

Theola August
    Inferno
    Morning

“… I haven’t the slightest clue what you’re trying to imply, but I will keep that in mind.”

“You’re asking me about my sense of justice…?”

“Justice is justice. There is nothing more that needs to be said- as you say, the meaning of justice changes from person to person. …Or so I would like to say, but considering our deal, it hardly seems fair.”

“Justice means punishing the guilty and saving the innocent. There is no glory itself in fighting or combat, but justice is something that makes these acts acceptable or even noble- something worth fighting for even if it means putting yourself at risk.”
    "But sometimes, one has to choose. Between punishing the guilty and saving the innocent. When it comes down to it... ah well one can cross that bridge when one gets there."

“Is that satisfactory? If not, then I do not mind if you would rather ask another question instead. I do not believe I can describe it better to you.”
    "I more or less get the gist of it. It's a good answer. Or rather, I have no complaints."

Nameless leaned back in her chair and sighed as she stared aimlessly skyward.

"I guess it was a optimistic of me. Or rather, of course the answers that I seek wouldn't be found so easily. Perhaps if I were- well there's no point in musing on if I were someone I'm not. I'm not clever enough for this type of role anyhow. It will come out in time, anyway," Nameless quietly whispered to herself in a volume that normal people wouldn't be able to pick up. But Theola heard it clear as day.

A waitress approached the table, delivering to them each of their orders.

"Ah, it's about time. In any case, it's your turn, so feel free to fire away without holding back."

She paused to take a sip of her drink, a lightly orange colored drink.

Honk

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"I'm kind of surprised she's still around your place to be honest. I thought you would have gotten rid of her already."
    "I'm very close to ridding myself of this nuisance. This idiot is truly hopeless."

Taking a little moment to recharge after one of Inferno's top dogs forced herself into Asher's residence, he answers her in a more composed voice. Pike meanwhile is nearing an end and unless Ash or Sen are interested in questioning her, things are looking quite grim for her. While the girl deserves no more mercy, Asher did enjoy her recoiling in fear for now. She'd remain like that for now.

"No, I'm not here for her, although I guess you might say I'm here because of her." She smirked as she turned to face Asher.

"In fact, I am here for you. There is some business that I would like to take, let's say take care of."
    "Alright, name it."

Asher's eyes filled with determination.

This was always the goal.

Sen was someone who could get things done if it was what she wanted, of this Asher had no doubt. Her attitude and way of life had been something he looked up to in respect, and so getting in touch with the Wrath Faction seemed like the natural thing to do. Through Sen his dream may just be possible. In order for his dream to become a reality, Asher needed to get on her good side, the faster the better now that the Pride Faction's Julius started a war with the police.

"Consider it making good on my previous initiation test, since that went rather out of hand due to certain people." Asher remarked sardonically as he shot a glare to the bound Pike. "Though I guess we shouldn't discuss that with prying ears."

"Do you two know each other? She looks more terrified of you than she ever looked while being beaten to an inch of her life. And while seeing her shiver in fear is delightful, I do wonder if that fear is because she knows what you can do... or if she just realised the situation she's in."
    Last edited by Zurvan; February 21st, 2020 at 07:36 AM.

Theola August
    Inferno
    Morning

“I see. Then, as for my question…”

Theola’s voice trailed off.

The most natural questions to ask would be more information about the present state of the city- it was something that Nameless had in abundance and she had no way of knowing how easy it would be obtain by other means. But right now, what interested Theola more was…

“You.”

Up until now, all of Theola’s questions had been about the about the present situation of the city. In contrast, Nameless’s questions had been nothing but targeted towards Theola personally. In a way, that was a blessing since there was not much other information Theola could provide the woman- but it was also highly curious.

What did she want from her, exactly…?

“More precisely, you’ve been very forthcoming so far and all you’ve been asking about are questions about me personally. It seems only fair that I ask something similar.”

It would be a lie to say it was not a question partially inspired by Nameless’s not so secret whispers from earlier- perhaps it had been intentional, or perhaps not. But either way, Nameless clearly had some significant objective in having this conversation, and Theola wanted to know what.

“For example, you’ve asked me why I’ve joined the force. I’d like to repeat that question at you- why are you working for the special forces? It can’t possibly be for the paycheck.”

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"I'm very close to ridding myself of this nuisance. This idiot is truly hopeless."
    "That's a good philosophy. No need to waste time on hopeless things."

"Alright, name it."

"Consider it making good on my previous initiation test, since that went rather out of hand due to certain people. Though I guess we shouldn't discuss that with prying ears."
    "Ah, no need to be so serious. And no need to care about our little trussed up rabbit. I'm sure it won't be a problem. In fact, it might even be better this way."

"Do you two know each other? She looks more terrified of you than she ever looked while being beaten to an inch of her life. And while seeing her shiver in fear is delightful, I do wonder if that fear is because she knows what you can do... or if she just realised the situation she's in."
    "Hmmm..." For the first time, Sen turned and took a hard look at Pike's face. Pike shrunk back even more.

"...perhaps? She kind of looks familiar, but I can't think of anything that comes to mind. It could be that she just didn't make an impact or..."

Sen suddenly leapt from her seat, landing right in front of the bound Pike. She put her face squarely across hers and barked out:

"HEY YOU. WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM. ANSWER ME BEFORE I MAKE YOU REGRET IT."

"...I've seen your rampages before."

"Oh. Is that all?" Sen laughed cheerfully, all traces of her sudden outburst gone. "That's almost kind of embarrassing. In that case, it's probably the from, Asher. With that diversion solved, let's get to the actual business at hand."

"I would like you to bodyguard someone for a while. Well, I say bodyguard, but he can mostly take care of himself. You just have to keep an eye on him, and keep him out of trouble. Pretty simple and straightforward."

Sen said heartedly. However, Asher had a sensation that a direct request like this would be anything but simple or straightforward.

Theola August
    Inferno
    Morning

“I see. Then, as for my question…
    You.”
    "Me?" Nameless said through a mouthful of food in surprise. It seemed like this was truly something she hadn't expected. "What about me?"

“More precisely, you’ve been very forthcoming so far and all you’ve been asking about are questions about me personally. It seems only fair that I ask something similar.”
    "Hmm... I see. That does make sense." She nodded as if in agreement. "That is fair after all."

“For example, you’ve asked me why I’ve joined the force. I’d like to repeat that question at you- why are you working for the special forces? It can’t possibly be for the paycheck.”
    For a moment silence, as she processed the question. Then she burst out into laughter, as if she had heard something truly amusing.

"Hehehehe, you're making some awfully big assumptions there rookie. This answer might cause some trouble, but a deal is a deal. You asked for it after all."

"To put it bluntly, I don't really have a choice in the matter. I didn't "choose" to join but I guess you could say I was forced into servitude?"

"I am but bound in chains and the higher ups hold the leash. Hehehe."

She spoke sardonically before erupting into a giggle as if it was some kind of joke, but the contents of her statements were no laughing matter. It was hard to see how anyone could find that funny.

"I think that should be enough to satisfy that question. Now onto your next question. There should still be enough time for a couple more."

Honk

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

Sen's outburst didn't faze Asher. He had some understanding of what she was truly like. Not the haughty, queen-like appearance that she and her loyal followers were known for, but the aspect of destruction and danger that was befitting of the Sin of Wrath.

More unnerving was that she possibly preferred Pike to hear the business she wanted taken care of.

Then again, Sen herself seemed to be relatively relaxed and laid back about the whole thing, so maybe it was fine to do as she said, and relax for a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Sen
    "Well, I say bodyguard, but he can mostly take care of himself. You just have to keep an eye on him, and keep him out of trouble. Pretty simple and straightforward."
    Or perhaps not.

"Playing bodyguard, yeah I can do that."

Of course Asher wasn't going to say no to this chance, but her final words on the matter, "simple and straightforward" screamed that this would in fact, not be simple and straightforward.

"But judging from that, he sounds like the someone who finds trouble without looking."

"Though, that doesn't matter. I'm no stranger to trouble either. I'll be sure to keep the bloke safe enough."

Asher voiced some of his concerns. There's no point in hiding his thoughts at this point. He'd certainly do his best, but it likely wouldn't be as simple a job as Sen made it out to be. Nevetheless, it was a job needed to be done, and so he'd do it.

"So, who's the lucky guy?"

Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

"Playing bodyguard, yeah I can do that."

"But judging from that, he sounds like the someone who finds trouble without looking."

"Though, that doesn't matter. I'm no stranger to trouble either. I'll be sure to keep the bloke safe enough."
    "That's kind of true... and kind of off. It's a very specific kind of trouble... and I'm more worried about other people than the VIP himself. Ah, whatever, it'll all become clear once he arrives."

Sen shook her head in mild annoyance at the person's tardiness.

"So, who's the lucky guy?"

"Hmmm he should be here by now. Ah speak of the devil-"

Just then, there was the sound of someone entering Asher's home. A pair of footsteps approached the living room.

Despite her relaxed attitude, Asher noticed that even Sen seemingly tensed up and became much more alert.

An overwhelmingly oppressive atmosphere enveloped the room as a young man with a burned face entered. It was on a completely different level from Sen's 'strong presence' earlier. To put it simply, it felt inhuman. Asher's throat became completely parched. In the back, Pike was beginning to hyperventilate, having trouble breathing. Even Sen had a few beads of sweat form on her forehead. This was impossible. How could any person's rage burn so hot?

"Sorry for the delay. I have arrived," the burned man spoke quietly.

The pressure eased up. It seemed clearer now what Sen had meant by "trouble". In fact, her expectations might be a bit too high in this case. How was someone supposed to protect someone like him.

"Let me make the introductions. This is Asher, Bharrant, newest member and from what I hear, quite capable. And this here is my friend-"

At this point, an introduction was unnecessary. Anybody who lived in Inferno would have ascertained his identity by now due to his reputation and rumors. A contender for the most dangerous person in Inferno-

"Mattias, Sin of Lust."

"I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Asher." Mattias bowed his head politely.

Honk

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    "I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Asher."
    Asher Bharrant
    Inferno
    Morning

This can't be happening, can it?

Protecting the Burning Demon, the Sin of Lust. How could such a task ever be 'simple and straightforward'? This job, protecting such a figure from near certain trouble, it's madness...

One of the few individuals in Inferno considered to be extremely dangerous, the others being the prolific serial killer Zero and Mary Allis, Mattias' fated nemesis.

Swiping away a few beads of sweat due to the sudden increase in heat, Asher replies:

"Ah, ...the Sin of Lust. Today is filled with surprises. It's not normally so lively here."

Seeing that man in the flesh brings with it bittersweet memories. Memories of the faces of Asher's parents moments before they were separated in that chaotic riot, before the storm of fire and ice swept it all away on that cold, dark night so long ago...

Some resentment naturally remains, but this isn't the place for such things. No, now is the time to prove oneself as a valuable member of the Seven Sins organisation.

And in order to that, all Asher must do is...

"Wait, Sen... You want me to ensure Mattias doesn't meet the local ice queen, don't you?"

...something insane after all.

Mary and Mattias are a unique existence in the Inferno. Both lost their loved one to one another, creating an ongoing feud between the fated pair. Now whenever the two meet inevitably disaster strikes, and it does not care for anyone that's around.

Keeping him away from her, can mean various things. Asher's dream gets closer and closer to reality as long as this luck keeps up, so maybe fate will be kind for once.

But mere luck won't hold back the whims of fate. This job will require caution and perhaps more importantly, information.

"Is this about that stunt that the Sin of Pride pulled? Is there something at play here that I should know?"

If Julius is involved, it won't be just 'the whims of fate' that Asher needs to overcome.

At that point, it'd be more akin to escaping the fate of pawns in a grand game of chess.