Page 184 of 244 FirstFirst ... 84134174179182183184185186189194234 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,680 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 09.09.1994 (FRI)
    Weather: Rain

Breakfast is never uneventful at Pinefall.

On one end the council of extroverts plotted a way to integrate Hisa into their lifestyle. It likely would take quite a while for them to consider that a hare cannot change that it was born a hare, nor can the lion change that it is born a lion. We are what we are, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.

Colt ate the last of his blueberries.

Then he had Prushka, Elise and Tris. His classmates had sprung a Symzonia fact-dump. Not that the boy was bothered by it. In fact he was paying more attention to that than he expected. Prushka’s notebook had a pen tucked into the rings, and he considered using it to take some notes on the underground world, but that might be a bit rude to the owner.

On the topic of notes, he flipped through the notebook from Prushka.

As instructed, he went from the bookmark.

Aha, hearts on her i’s!!

A large grin appeared on his face, one which slowly evaporated like sweat in the desert as he got to a section of her notebook with some key terms he recognized, along with others he didn’t. For a moment he skimmed the notes, seeing what was written, but it was more an act than anything. His eyes scanned over the notes, only plucking bits and pieces.

There was quite a lot.

Scratching the top of his head, he sighed. Colt pulled the pen from the rings and jotted down some notes of his own to go with Prushka’s. Once done he slipped the pen back into its place, closed the notebook, and passed it back to its owner.

“Nice handwriting.”

Spoiler:

Then all the fun came to a crashing, screeching halt. A somewhat rightfully indignant Mercedes, with eyes that look just as hurt as they were angry, was now grilling Lucille.

Don’t do it, Colton Davin.’ The angel on his shoulder spoke, and soon after the devil concurred. ‘Value your life, Colt m’boy.’

I don’t need you guys to tell me that.

Colt said back in a whisper.

As much as he wanted to be able to repay Lucille for what she’d done for him last time with Xylia, this was a different kind of squabble. This was between friends, and it should be resolved between friends.

More importantly there was another girl present, one holding his hand with a colossal smile. Positively beaming, Gradient muu’d at Colt and pointed toward the entrance to the cafeteria.

“Go after her?” Colt squeezed gave her hand a squeeze and nodded. “Then let’s go.”

It would be awkward to just get up and leave at the same time Mercedes started to go off.

But that didn’t stop Colt one bit. He had already mastered bellyflopping in front of the girls at Pinefall. The boy got up from his seat and faced Pyry.

“Hey big guy, we’re gonna follow Ms. Gets-Lonely-Easily. You wanna come with?”

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

---Chili-Coffee.

Not a recipe she would have ordinarily considered, when it came down to it, there was something in her mind that loathed adding too many additional ingredients into a brew, seeing it as somewhat antithetical to the point of the beverage... The taste of a coffee should come more from the beans themselves than anything else after all, although she did, at times, flirt with the idea of introducing ice-cream to the process, but...

Chili spice was new.

...Chili was new, and not bad...

Not bad at all...

Wish I had some of this last night...

Would have been helpful when she dragged herself back to the school building, ah well...

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    "Damn good coffee."
    "Agreed."

She laughs and admits it.

"Might be worth coming to work every morning just to get it~"

As simple as it seems, a good cup of coffee really did help with life.

Can't confront the many confounding mysteries of the Turnside without some form of caffeine in your system after all-!

"Well my dear, it seems that I should start heading out soon. Duty calls and when it does, any good agent worth their salt answers. That being said, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask them before that," he said with a smile. "God knows answers are in short supply in this town, so I try to do my part and give them whenever I can. A good mystery is one thing, but blindly flailing around is another."
    ---Of course, the more mundane pleasures of life can only take center stage for a moment.

"This town is annoyingly obtuse at times, yes."

She laughs.

"Although that's fine, I have a shift coming up soon anyway."

She sets down her cup, then:

"Although when it comes to any more questions... Well, I might take you up on that..."

Not that many come to mind of course, or rather, not that many she can talk about just yet come to mind, but...

"Do you know anything about Camp Hero, for instance? Feels like a familiar term, but I can't quite put my finger on it..."

A pause, then...

She blinks as she makes another decision...

"Actually, since you said you knew my mom by reputation... Do you know if she had any students? Heard someone like that might be in town too... I was never too involved with her work matters, so..."

Not that she expects too much from that particular question, but might as well try...

"... What do you know about cuckoos?"
    ...As for this...

"Cuckoos...? Like the birds...?"

She frowns.

It's one more aimed at herself than him, as she actually doesn't feel like she can give him a good answer on this one...

Still, voice going a bit more quiet, she...

"I know I heard one recently... After talking with Muse... Not much more than that... Sorry."

Says this, sounding almost disappointed in herself...

But... Birds are...

Not really her specialty...

One day someone will ask me about computers...

"Is there something strange about cuckoos...?"
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

Gesturing with my hand lazily, I tried to tell Jake that everything was fine and that he should calm down. Not that I wasn’t annoyed either - but it was clear that there was no stopping this guy. Arguing with him would just be an even bigger pain in the ass with no real gain. Instead, making him feel content and in control of the flow would make him talk more as well...and while conspiracy theories are usually just nonsense, they often tie back into the supernatural as well. Hence why they are quite unbelievable to normal humans, but mean a lot more to people with knowledge of the Turnside…

“I admit, we have only been here for a few days, so I am probably not as well versed in these rumours and theories as you are,” I said as I faked a sense of bewilderment at the amount of apparently outrageous stuff he blurted out, “But it certainly sounds like there is a lot going on in this town, isn’t there? Where to even begin, I wonder…”

Crossing my arms in front of my chest, I raised a hand to rub my chin slowly, pretending to be deep in thought.

But at best, I just used those few moments to hush aside the urge to punch him quite hard for treating me like a kid.

“The Air Force? I heard they had some secret listening post to spy on the whole town, could that be the equipment you mentioned? But I have not seen anything in the sky...not weird planes, nor flickering lights. Are you saying that there are UFOs spying on us at night as well?”

UFOs...right. While it was almost certain that aliens existed somewhere, there were at least a few dozen other things that could have a similar effect.

“I heard some about the McLampets as well. Like how they were all vampires. Or how some evil witch corrupted their minds and drove them mad for more power. And that the last McLampet heir is a bad omen to the town, something that must not be talked about...Or how the owner of the hotel hired an assassin to conveniently get them out of the picture and get the mill for himself.”

Lowering my hand, I stared at Barney for a few moments in silence;

“But those are just rumours, aren’t they? How could someone be a bad omen anyways?”

A puzzled expression spread on my face as I tilted my head to the side, and pushed the wet hair that was obscuring my vision behind my ear;

I had to appear as if I was hoping for him to enlighten me with his great wisdom regarding such theories, after all. Which, in some sense, was not that far from the truth, even if I would never treat him like this normally.

“I don’t know about the tragedies that happened here either. Or rather, the fact that there was more than one,” I continued my inquiring, “But it was obvious that something happened. Not all parts of the school are renovated, after all.”

“Still...are you implying that it’s haunted then? The things you mentioned, those are the signs of that, aren’t they?”

Elaine Winters

There is a sigh, and Elaine Winter's head slowly sinks against the wheel which she has been brutalizing, her hands coming up around her poor, abused head as she groans pitifully.

Alright, calm down, take a deep breath and stop snarling at everyone just because circumstances happen to be aligning to give you an exceptional poor morning.

Okay.

From the top.

Let's try this again.

The Shadow of the Moon, it hadn't done anything to injure my own pride, quite the opposite, even if it made me deeply uncomfortable to admit.

It shone a light on my deepest, most insidious fears and showed that they could, perhaps, be overcome.

So Injured Pride was not the cause of my antipathy.

Insecurity?

Perhaps.

A better word would perhaps be 'fear'.

Was I afraid of the vampire? No, not precisely, beyond the natural trepidation that one felt in any nasty beast's presence, simply as a consequence of being a human being.

I was afraid of what she represented, what to most people is a natural effect of her showing up is, for me, far more debilitating.

It is a loss of control over my own actions, the act of being made to behave in such a way that I did not consent to, did not want, and is actively horribly dangerous to everyone around me is what frightens me so.

Was I obsessed with her?

I considered my actions over the past week.

"If I was obsessed, I would have done more than merely a lot of particularly aggressive complaining."

I tilted my head, resting it on the wheel.

"I actually haven't done terribly much about her, mostly because I don't know anything, where to find her, how to find her, how to put her down. She is an unknown that I have no methodology of beginning to know, which is probably why I'm so aggressive."

I sighed again.

"So when I hear John avoid my questions, and then you start going in at me, I snapped. I'm trying to answer my questions and fill in the blanks and it seems, to aggrieved me, people are actively fighting me, it's frustrating."

"It's not a question of self-worth, it's a question of self-fear, Anna," I looked at her, "You should know why. I do not like being afraid of my own self, it's paralyzing, the fact that I genuinely do not know if or when she will appear, and if she will, will I be reliable?"

Will I hurt people?

That is the reason of Elaine Winter's anger towards the Shadow of the Moon.

It is what she has been avoiding this entire conversation, despite it's ever-presence.

"The Shadow is a scapegoat, a vent of anger against someone long dead, who I never even got solid anything for, someone I hate above anyone else."

Also, admittedly, a vent against someone who was sitting in my car, but was it right to judge someone for things they had not yet and may not do?

If I had wanted to right a wrong, I'd go beat up Ramia, or Sakura or whatever had killed poor Cesarina.

That wasn't what I was looking for.

As for this 'hero' thing...

"It's not the most reasonable thing, or the most calculated, but the fact of the matter is, is that I see someone in trouble, so I go and help them," I shrugged, "It's not terribly complicated, does it give my life some meaning? Maybe, but that's not where it came from. I don't do it to feel like a good person, I do it because it's right to help people out if they're in a bind."

I shrugged, "Sometimes that decision is a bad one, sometimes people get hurt when you want to help, but that doesn't make it wrong to try and do."

I grimaced sharply, “Sometimes it feels like I got two people inside of me, the me that I know I am, deep down at my core, and the me I have to be to live with what… Well, what’s been done to me, and to other people.”

"But I suppose we all got our own ways of trying to help the world, this is mine."

I shuffled back forward, grumbling under my breath, pausing only to point as if to say 'SAME' at Anna and her opinions on justice.

"But, okay, if we're going to bite the damned bullet and start talking about whatever the hell happened quote unquote 'last week', let's go ahead."

I took a moment to go through my own memories, fiddling with the radio as I collated my thoughts together.

“First day we were here, ‘Tuesday’, the day that’s probably still happened, maybe, kind of, Momoi wanted to go see the lookout, Souma wanted to go do some shady shit in the woods, I’m a friendly sort, so I obliged, it’s a good in. Dropped him off, then she and I ambled up to the top, ran into this Rosencranz character, confirmed my dear old brother was here, was very focused on his shoes. And according to him,” I folded my arms, “One of us is an imposter.”

Moving on from that...

"Well, the Lighthouse is being staked out by some nasty character with a bow, found that out in what I suppose I consider as 'last, uh, Thursday, I think' hanging out doing whatever, keeping people away from it," I scratched my cheek, "Supposedly, it's some kind of spiritual roach motel, pulls a bunch of restless spirits in, won't let them out. This came from a local spook, a dead man, so I'm not sure how good his word is, but..."

I frowned, "I don't see a reason why not to follow up on what that Michael Lowgate guy said, some of what he said seemed a bit sus, but there's definitely something funky about that Lighthouse."

Let’s see, next up would have been tonight, at the bar…

“Well, a couple of us went out to the local dive in town, had a few brews, piled into my car, then Anna,” I eye her, “Comes tumbling in out of the rain, and all of a sudden everyone’s real eager to not let me go outside, which I’m guessing is because something big and nasty knocked her silly.”

I frowned, “I was also in a bit of a mood because of that sleazy singer lady who was getting a real kick out of shoving that she’d fucked my brother in my face, the one Inacio was interested in, whatshername, uh, Carmen Rivers, currently going by ‘Carrie Lakes’,” I air-quoted, “Who decided she’d muck about and pull people’s hair out going on about how the local spook, this ‘Disembodied Man’ would nail you to a yew tree and use you as kindling, which I felt was eerie. Bro was interested in him, hence the line of discussion.

I tiled my head back, “Friday Night I was out and about, looking for something, I dunno, and that’s not, like being shifty, I was just generally out trying to clear my head, which is where I ran into the munchkin for the first time.”

“Saturday… I went into town, had a meeting with the deputy, she’s a friend, mentioned some leads about that doctor who I went and saw ‘yesterday’, this is kind of confusing, and not terribly much about my brother, aside from anything lead to follow up which I was annoyed by, but not too terribly so, went over some stuff we found on the girl, ID card mentioned she was part of some project, done by an MAFB and a T4I, T41, maybe. Called her DDS Sample Case #17.”

Saturday Night…

My expression darkened.

“Not much note-worthy to go on for Saturday, got into a scrap, some people died. Bad business, not much intel-worthy.”

Then Sunday.

“Well, woke up first thing Sunday morning, Cesarina’s dead, propped up on the yew tree for all to see,” I shook my head, “Iburi’s on a witch-hunt, people are freaking out, John-boy and I decide to go into town, fetch the cops or something (the phone’s were dead), and then…”

My eyes fell on Ramia, standing outside the car, a strange expression on my face.

How exactly do you explain to someone how they shot you three times in the chest after shooting up your car?

“John and I got ambushed on our way into town, a bunch of bad mojo goes down, Moon shows, everyone dies and I wake up Wednesday morning like nothing’s wrong.”

It’s abbreviated, but gets the point across.

I smacked my lips, coughed a bit, wished I had some water, then continued.

“So, moving on to ‘this’ Wednesday, I learned some more people were, I suppose ‘aware’, maybe, of something at least very similar to what I had experienced, Colt and Lucille, for two,” I frowned, “I don’t know what exactly she experienced, but she seemed pretty, understandably, shaken up, she and Sakura have got a really close relationship, and I kinda blundered my way in there. They were also both members of the Holy Church, and I’ve got an… interesting relationship with those types, so I kept mum.”

Interesting is one way to put it.

“Anyway, wanting to make the best out of what I’d learned from last week, so to speak, I hit up our friendly janitor for some details on my elusive brother, an’ he pointed me in the direction of a couple of places, the Ramshack, for one, and the other was a Mrs Josie McLampet, which is something I haven’t followed up on just yet.”

Might do that today or tomorrow if there’s some time.

Moving on…

“That night, I ran into Miss Congeniality over here,” I nodded to Anna, “Along with my roving pack of hooligans I’d talked into going on a trip with me instead of some Test of Courage thing, mostly to go ahead and look for the squirt, who I’d picked up some intel after the fact that there was a commotion Wednesday night, and I figured that’s the night when she must’ve bounced out of the Hospital.”

I wiggled a hand, “If it wasn’t, then I’d drag them all off to go check out the spooky abandoned house, and of course, she was there. Hospital has their own private goon squad out combing the woods for her, cops were there too, but, uninvolved in the search, I think.”

“We get her back to the dorms, yadda yadda, onto Yesterday.

“Obviously, because I had to deal with a surprise kid, I wasn’t exactly comfortable leaving her by herself in a strange room, so I skipped class and went to go meet with my contact, the deputy, got some more intel on that doctor, and a case file on the murder that happened at that Ramshack place.”

“Later that afternoon, I grabbed my number one guy and goon of choice, one Kean Loinnir, along with the now named ‘Stephanie’, and we go check out the doctor, a Doctor Canseliet, and uh, her house is certainly interesting, what with the blue smoke. Also she’s not human, almost blatantly so, judging from the shrooms, probably some sort of Fae.”

I paused for a moment, collecting my thoughts.

“She’s perceptive, too, on a more out-there sort of way, I guess, could pick up what was going on with all three of us with just a look-see, well, the two of us, little one needed a closer look.”

I wasn’t exactly ready to go talking about a pseudo-apotheosis and how it related to me.

“She was good for her work, and reliable in that, but I didn’t like her. Looking for ‘the loss of something precious’ as payment, things like that never sit right with me.”

Dealing with spirits hasn’t gone well with me.

I feel my reasons are understandable.

“My exact proper experiences with proper magic beyond a workman’s knowledge and how to combat it are a bit vague, her usage was strange, a sort of ‘magic as language’ thing, if that makes sense, kept her calm and willing to follow her directions, even with the language barrier.”

“Steph was malnourished, like she’s been drip fed for years, like a coma patient, tracks with the muscle massages to combat atrophy, her body’s apparently producing some sort of possible nerve agent and,” I paused, “I have no idea how old she actually is, besides ‘older than she looks’.”

“She mentioned dealings with Taiwan that a Howard McLampet was involved in, so perhaps she’s connected with that sort of thing, but in any case, she confirmed the T41 linkage, referred to a doctor who helped with the recent upgrade of End’s Mercy, a Dr. Suzume Bianchi of Gottlieb Pharma.”

“We chatted a bit more after that, she gave her some treatments, and then we went back to home base, got her settled, then skipped out for the old haunted slump.”

I tapped on the wheel, “Ran into Vier, being a real cold-blooded operator type, real friendly, didn’t appreciate any of my jokes, sniffed around the whole place, ran into a ghost of a dead priest guy, the aforementioned Lowgate character, who described the ‘vampire murder’ as apparently being done by a blonde girl, around our rough age, shiny eyes, smiled a lot, I personally took that as our Miss Moon, but, now going over my thoughts again, I’m not so sure.”

She didn’t seem like the smiley type.

Too haughty.

No mention of the Moon, either.

Hm.

“He also mentioned a man matching my brother’s description as stopping back by the site every Saturday so, I guess maybe there’s that to look forward to?”

I snapped my fingers, “Oh, and the murder scene had a ripped up medical gown on the scene, matched the one girlie was wearing, so there’s another reason to go poking around the Hospital, I suppose.”

I frowned, tilting my head back and forth.

“An’ that’s pretty much all of importance that happened, there’s probably some gaps other people can fill in.”

I frowned suddenly, something in Ramia’s words sticking out to me, “Y’know, that spiritual anchor he described the Lighthouse as, he also said it was ‘outside the Laws of Reality’. So maybe that’s something.”

“And yeah, Space is dumb, also scary, and maybe containing vast unknowable alien gods from beyond mortal understanding,” I intoned, “Fucking Eldritch Seekers, ruining everything for everyone.”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"........................."

I think I'm supposed to be angry.

Certainly, this feeling filling up my cheeks can be none other than fury.

However, I can't be angry at the girl in front of me. If only because of her utterly guileless eyes, which are completely at odds with the fanciful nonsense she just told us. Either she's the greatest liar in the world, or there's something wrong here. The kind of wrong you can't just call out at the breakfast table.

So who should I be mad at right now? Myself? Colt? Lucille? Someone else?

"..."

Are you there God? It's me, Prushka. I don't believe in you, but that doesn't mean I won't blame you for this. You're on thin ice, mister.

It doesn't help that I have a second reason to be angry. And a third, now. Really, all the fury is building up with nowhere to go, and no amount of consoling from Elise can stop it. This is becoming a problem.

Crunch.

The silence in this part of the table is shattered. Much like the piece of bacon I just crunched between two teeth as I stare, unblinking, at Tristellia Sem Zoirvit, Knightess of Country-that-doesn't-exist.

Gonna have to say something soon, aren't I? Or else she might just run off, embarrassed.

I half-stand, making the most of my small stature, before slumping back down in my seat. Right, mustn't break the connection. Fine, I'll do it from down here.

I affix the giant girl with my sternest gaze, then raise one finger.

"Tristellia Sem Zoirvit. I'm gonna call you Tris. Listen up..."

Quote Originally Posted by Colt Davin
    “Nice handwriting.”
    Something drops on the table in front of me. My notebook.

I reach out and flip it open to the bookmarked page.

I scan over it from top to bottom.

Why was I angry again?

I close the notebook, but not the lid on the giddiness spilling out of my heart.

Haha! I knew it! He really does remember! And he's up for exchanging info! This is great! Wonderful! Magical! Fantastical!

Oh, right, Tris.

"...okay, okay, listen up!"

I can't keep up a stern face anymore. Or be angry. Oh well.

"You're completely mistaken!"

I cross my arms and puff out my chest.

"I hail from the magical kingdom of California! The West Coast of the great United States of America! The Golden State where culture is born and the fantastical becomes real! We also made In-N-Out! And the Cheesecake Factory!" And Taco Bell, but she doesn't need to know that. "The great city of Los Angeles is the shining beacon of our country! All who visit are welcome, no matter their birthplace or creed. We stretch out arms to Mexico and Canada, and visitors from around the world come to pledge their adoration at the altar of Hollywood's hills-!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes West
    Slam!
    "-ah."

Right.

This.

The hot air that had filled me up a moment ago cools down.

This... was inevitable, wasn't it?

I can't understand much of the background to this little spat, but with Elise here, I get the gist of it.

Lucille Faraday is a part of the Turnside. Mercedes West is not. That's an immutable fact. Furthermore, Lucille Faraday is a good person who puts others above herself, so...

She must have realized it. That to continue down this path would be the same as dragging this human into hell. That's why she's doing this painful, seemingly cruel thing. Because she cares, doesn't she? She doesn't want to put Mercedes, who should never have become her friend, into more danger.

Hisa, you wanted to drag Mercedes into the Turnside. You said it was too late to keep her ignorant. But you were wrong then, and you're still wrong now. We don't get to. We don't get to trust those on the other side with all of ourselves, as much as we might want to. Even if we want to, more than anything. Because it'll damn them. This... this is the one rule of the world that we don't get to put our feelings in front of. Even I understand that.

I glance at the other person nearby the conversation. The other one who might understand.

You get it, don't you? You were there. You remember. You know, even if it hurts and leads to pain, that this is the best outcome.

Or do you think differently?

Do you see something I don't?

I reach out, quietly...

Poke, poke.

I lean close and whisper to her.

"Do you want to help her, Ubon? Do you have an 'answer' that neither Hisa nor I could reach? I don't believe in miracles, but I'll believe in you."

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

On some level, she already knows Mercedes is right. But this isn’t about what is correct for friendship, this is about what is correct for Mercedes’s life. And Lucille has already come to a solution, because as awful as it is to be yelled at or lectured, people dying always hurts more.

She can’t forget how useless she was when Mercedes was practically broken in two. She can’t forget how Vier was torn apart or the haunted look when Subaru fell and hit the ground with a sickening splat. She can’t forget how Michael’s blood seeped deep into her clothes and went from warm to cold.

She can’t forget how she prayed for forgiveness, and was offered that second chance.

She will make things right, even if it means doing certain things wrong.

“You shouldn’t be worried about me. There’s no real point in it.” There’s a ferocity, a disgust in her words that sounds completely out of place. How does she make someone else understand? They all think she’s crazy, that she’s wrong. But right now she is justified.

“Sometimes, I remember the look on his face. He looked very proud of himself. But all I think about is the feeling of his blood on my hands, sinking into my clothes, the screams for help that came too late.” It’s a brazen confession, devoid of context. But in a way, Lucille wants to be helped, because that is the humanity she staunchly tries to reject. “I don’t need any more faces to commit to memory.”

“People who stand by my side die. So go away.”

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday, Elise Pelltier & Prushka

".......... What?"

With that one word, the atmosphere froze.

In that instant, the goofy antics and jovial mood that had surrounded Tris, Prushka, Elise and the others was all but shattered permanently. Mercedes, who had been looking both hurt and worried, had recoiled thanks to Lucille's last words... but now composed herself once more. Arms laying idly by her sides, she stared down at the blond girl who was still sitting... and there was a definite shift going through her mind. Her expression twisted, then hardened, and finally... become cold. Those eyes that now gazed at Lucille were not the eyes of the friend she had known through the last week, nor the ones she had avoided so far this week.

--- If anything, they were the cold eyes of a stranger.

"... Die? Me? Puh-leaze. Tell me something I don't know. Tell me something I don't, like, see every week in my waking dreams. Everybody dies, Lucy - that's a cold fact. You can't, like, change that. But that don't mean what we do... isn't important. Like, worrying about our friends. Helping our friends. Listening to them. I maybe be a cold bitch, Lucy, but you're just a cunt right now - not to me, but yourself," Mercedes practically growled. "And, while we're at it... let's make one thing clear. Very clear. Crystal. You don't get to make my decisions for me. Like, no one does. No one but me. So piss off with that order. I'll be where I want to be. And one decision I just made is..."

Mercedes left hand was clenched into a fist.

"I won't, like, die in a ditch without knowing anything. I'll find it all out. Because that's the only way I can protect myself. Instead of, like, doing as you're saying. If I stayed away from what, like, the hell's going on here, I might as well off myself," she hissed. "And while I'm at it, I'll be worried about whoever I want to be. Starting with you. I choose how I live, and how I die. So..."

Suddenly, her right hand rose into the air.

"--- Get offa that fuckin' high horse of yours!"

And then came down in a form of a furious slap aimed at Lucille's face, that---!

Thump!

... Never reached its target.

It had been blocked by the arm of a girl shorter than Mercedes, who had sprung up from her chair like greased lightning and positioned herself between the two blondes. A girl who was now staring down the starlet, refusing to back down. A girl who had acted merely by instinct, spurred by the words of the even smaller girl besides her... and who clearly didn't know what she was doing, but had decided to act all the same.

Ubon Sĕeklêun would never remain inactive, even if she didn't know what to do.

Like in this case.

When she had stopped the ensuing violence, and stepped between the two girls arguing.

"... Get off my face," Mercedes growled, glaring daggers at Ubon.

And while she was sweating bullets, Ubon's expression was equally intense.

"N-no! Clobberin' Lucie won't make any of this better, Mercie! For realsies!" Ubon replied, refusing to budge. "I know you think it does, but it won't help! Can't you see she's just trying to---Kyah!"

Before Ubon could even finished her sentence, Mercedes had grabbed her by her shirt and pulled her closer, raising her right hand again, this time aimed at Ubon.

"I know what she's doing, and that's, like, exactly why she needs some sense beaten into her! Before it goes too far!"

Mercedes looked like she was completely done with playing nice.

Or rather, she looked like she simply wanted to punch somebody - anybody.

"And if you're, like, gonna stand in my way..." Mercedes spoke to Ubon with chill. "... Then I'll just slap the taste of your mouth as well."

In a surprising move, Ubon didn't reply just verbally.

Instead, she grabbed Mercedes's shirt - just like she had done with her.

And while the starlet couldn't see it... the cyanhead's free hand slowly clenched into a fist.

"--- Just try me, Mercie."

Ubon refused to back down either.

"'Cause looks like she's not the only one who needs a beating...!"

In that chaotic storm that was brewing, it was hard to notice... but apparently, three people around the table had made the wise choice of sneaking away before they would get caught up in the ensuing trouble.

That is, Colt, Gradient and Pyry.

Hisa Momoi & Colt Davin

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Still...are you implying that it’s haunted then? The things you mentioned, those are the signs of that, aren’t they?”
    Even in the pouring rain, it was clear that Barney was grinning excitedly now that Hisa had started talking... almost like he was a big, giddy child who had found someone with same strange interests as he did. Jake, on the other hand, had been looking exasperated as this conversation went onwards... though his expression switched to something more confused after he heard Hisa's answers. He sneaked a glance at the girl and raised an eyebrow at her.

Almost like saying: "Just where did all that come from, dudette?"

It was hard to say if he was more impressed or weirded out.

"Indeed they are, indeed they are! Usually signs of apparitions, ghosts, spectres and phantoms... in worst cases, even poltergeist! See, when a person shuffles off this mortal coil in a violent manner, they're bound to leave something behind and... ah, well, I suppose you wouldn't care about the specifics, right? Rather, you want to know how it applies to this place, right? Right, right, I knew it!" The rotund man rubbed his chin with a smug smile and a chuckle. "Well, there's definitely been something in the past of this school that would leave behind a heckuva lotta ghosts! See, as it happens, the tragic fate of those Klallam wasn't the only bloodbath this town has experienced in the past, oh no..."

Mr. Keyhoe paused dramatically, as if expecting some surprised faces or further questions, but when they didn't come, he simply coughed a bit awkwardly and continued.

"They've tried to keep it all hush-hush, but... haha! You can't fool a Warrior of Truth, such as I! I dug and dug until I finally found some evidence of it...! Yes, yes, the horrible event that took over this very same school by the storm - a veritable Night of Long Knives for such a small town. Well, of course I can understand why the regular populace would try to forget such an awful event, but it goes further than that!" Barney said, lifting his finger as if making a point. "The head of Road's End Gazette ended up putting a gag order on it, and even the state police got involved - I bet it went all the way to Washington! On all levels, it was made sure that news of that tragic event wasn't spread outside, and all traces of it were removed, even from here! I tell you, it's bigger than the local UFO sightings and the evidence that said editor-in-chief is a reptilian...!"

Barney, gathering more and more steam, opened his raincoat a little bit and revealed that he had some sort of folder hidden underneath his jacket - full of papers with scribbled text and newspaper clippings. He patted it like it had been the Holy Grail of Conspiracy Theories, flashed a wide grin, and then slipped it back. With these theatrics done, he then continued.

And something in the atmosphere had changed... to the point that even Jake looked a little worried. Curious, yet worried.

"See, twenty-one years ago, this school... experienced a tragedy," Barney explained with a hushed voice. "Every single student, as far as I have been able to find out... were killed. No, slaughtered is perhaps the better word here. And nobody knows why! It was almost like the students had started either killing each other, or had met some sort of outside force that run rampage within the school, decimating its population...! It became the hushed event only known as..."

Another dramatic pause followed.

"Pinefall High School Massacre...!"

And while these hushed (yet loud) words were spoken, the trio who had just exited the main building found themselves witnessing something... rather strange. Hisa and Jake on one side, an unknown rotund (and excited) guy on one side, and the talk was of something that sounded almost like a bad teenage slasher movie... or perhaps a conspiracy theory cooked up by a complete nutjob.

Pyry, standing on Colt's other side, turned his head and glanced at the brunette boy.

"... You sure we wanna get involved in this, either?" he asked, nodding towards older man in sunglasses.

Gradient, on the other hand...

"Muuu~!"

Had already piped up, and waved her hand energetically at Hisa.

Too late now, it seemed.

Liana Skye

Ferguson nodded.

"Hm, well, to answer your questions first, my dear..." he started, slowly sipping on his coffee. "Camp Hero is another name for the former Montauk Air Force Base that lay at Montauk Point on the eastern tip of Long Island, New York. A place that saw its fair share of action in the past, yet it was shut down at the early 80's. Of course, as such places often do, it has gathered attention even long afterwards. A certain book, for example, claimed it was the site of black projects and fantastical experiments that beget the mundane mind. A conspiracy theory's goldmine, so to speak..."

He let out an amused chuckle and flashed a little grin.

"Think of it as the Area 51 of the East Coast."

With that, he set his cup of coffee on the table and started cleaning up his utensils and plates, neatly placing them to the side of the table so it would be easier for the waitress to pick them up afterwards.

"As for your mother's apprentice... well, I cannot say. As said, I only knew of her in the passing," the agent continued with an apologetic face. "Though I do remember hearing that she, along with someone else, sponsored a certain Canadian orphanage... perhaps I could look into that as well. Good thing that you reminded me of it."

The agent packed away his dictation machine to the pocket of his jacket, and grabbed a hold of his walking cane. However, there was still coffee left in his cup, and he was certainly taking his sweet time sipping it.

It looked like he wasn't in quite such a hurry yet.

"But yes... cuckoos. Interesting birds. A local shoe salesman asked me about them the other day. A delightful fellow, if a bit odd - but who isn't these days? Nevertheless, his question got me thinking, so I did a bit of light reading before going to bed," Ferguson spoke. "From what it seems, cuckoos have played a role in human culture for a long time. They were sacred to the goddess Hera, and appeared even in plays of Shakespeare. In India, cuckoos are sacred to Kamadeva, the god of desire and longing, whereas in Japan, the cuckoo symbolises unrequited love. Some very interesting tidbits."

He raised the cup of coffee to his lips and smiled mysteriously.

"But the most interesting thing I found regarding their behavior... is that a lot of them are, well... brood parasites."

And thus, he brought to the table a rather unknown term.

"This means that cuckoos lay their eggs in the nests of other birds - and often this is the only way they can reproduce. The cuckoo's nest grows faster and stronger than that of the other chicks, and unless the mother bird realizes this, the cuckoo is the first one to hatch. In order to avoid competition, they often kick the other eggs out of the nest so that they are the only one left. This ensures the poor, unsuspecting mother has no idea that they are feeding and raising someone not even their own species - helped by the fact that cuckoo chicks often start mimicking the calls and cries of their foster parents," Ferguson explained. "Indeed, it is a strange life they lead... born to nests of others and raised by birds they don't even know. Various species adapt themselves to trick their hosts, from the egg-shapes and colours to how the chicks call and beg for food... with things sometimes going as far as the mother cuckoo destroying the clutch of eggs if their own egg is rejected."

The agent leaned back in his chair slightly and smiled... though he didn't seem to find the topic quite that funny.

"In that sense, it is - quite frankly - a rather unique existence among the birds."

Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

"Area 51 of the East Coast, huh...?"

So that was it.

Another source of conspiracy theories, secret government projects, fantastical experiments that were probably the point of the secret government projects (mind control was a classic one), and thus...

Probably a place with at least a bit of truth to it.

Another bundle of secrets, drawn into the mess that was this town...

I'll have to let Vivi know later.

She doesn't push any further into it.

One thing at a time, as they say... But...

"As for your mother's apprentice... well, I cannot say. As said, I only knew of her in the passing," the agent continued with an apologetic face. "Though I do remember hearing that she, along with someone else, sponsored a certain Canadian orphanage... perhaps I could look into that as well. Good thing that you reminded me of it."
    This.

"Sponsored a... Certain Canadian orphanage...?"

She repeats it.

A bit slowly, just a bit, and...

Orphanage?

"Ah sis, she's here!"

_͑ͬ̌ͣ_̈́ͨͣ̉͗͊̚_ͭͨͮ_̓͐̓ͨ͊̏ͬ_ͣ̇̾_ͨ̆͋̈́ͫ̾_ͫ̈́̇̂_͆ͮ̏͋̇ͣ_̚ ͧ́ͭ̋̓_̀_̀̐̒_ͭ̓̄̋͐ͨ__̓̑ͦ̂_̀́_ͬ̎_̄_̒ͮͤ̄͛̇̀_͐̇͒ͯ̓̇_̔ͫ ̍̈̒_̈́͌ͬͥ̾͆_ͬ̒̓̆̌ͪ̂_ͯ̒̈_ͬ͗͗̅͂ͭ_͊̆ͮ_̆̅ͪͯ̈̌ͦ_͐ͧ͒̅̅̂̌_ ̍̃_͂͆_͛ͬͪ_̆̊̃̐̋̀̃_̈́̚_̅͆̽_́̐̔͂͑̓̈_ͦ́ͪ̍ͨ̈́ͪ_ͫͫ̏̿ͣ_͑ͬ̌ ͣ_̈́ͨͣ̉͗͊̚_ͭͨͮ_̓͐̓ͨ͊̏ͬ_ͣ̇̾_ͨ̆͋̈́ͫ̾_ͫ̈́̇̂_͆ͮ̏͋̇ͣ_ͧ́ͭ̋̚ ̓_̀_̀̐̒_ͭ̓̄̋͐ͨ__̓̑ͦ̂_̀́_ͬ̎_̄_̒ͮͤ̄͛̇̀_͐̇͒ͯ̓̇_̔ͫ̍̈̒_ ̈́͌ͬͥ̾͆_ͬ̒̓̆̌ͪ̂_ͯ̒̈_ͬ͗͗̅͂ͭ_͊̆ͮ_̆̅ͪͯ̈̌ͦ_͐ͧ͒̅̅̂̌_̍̃_͂ ͆_͛ͬͪ_̆̊̃̐̋̀̃_̈́̚_̅͆̽_́̐̔͂͑̓̈_ͦ́ͪ̍ͨ̈́ͪ_ͫͫ̏̿ͣ
    "Oh? You saw me right away?"
    _͑ͬ̌ͣ_̈́ͨͣ̉͗͊̚_ͭͨͮ_̓͐̓ͨ͊̏ͬ_ͣ̇̾_ͨ̆͋̈́ͫ̾_ͫ̈́̇̂_͆ͮ̏͋̇ͣ_̚ ͧ́ͭ̋̓_̀_̀̐̒_ͭ̓̄̋͐ͨ__̓̑ͦ̂_̀́_ͬ̎_̄_̒ͮͤ̄͛̇̀_͐̇͒ͯ̓̇_̔ͫ ̍̈̒_̈́͌ͬͥ̾͆_ͬ̒̓̆̌ͪ̂_ͯ̒̈_ͬ͗͗̅͂ͭ_͊̆ͮ_̆̅ͪͯ̈̌ͦ_͐ͧ͒̅̅̂̌_ ̍̃_͂͆_͛ͬͪ_̆̊̃̐̋̀̃_̈́̚_̅͆̽_́̐̔͂͑̓̈_ͦ́ͪ̍ͨ̈́ͪ_ͫͫ̏̿ͣ_͑ͬ̌ ͣ_̈́ͨͣ̉͗͊̚_ͭͨͮ_̓͐̓ͨ͊̏ͬ_ͣ̇̾_ͨ̆͋̈́ͫ̾_ͫ̈́̇̂_͆ͮ̏͋̇ͣ_ͧ́ͭ̋̚ ̓_̀_̀̐̒_ͭ̓̄̋͐ͨ__̓̑ͦ̂_̀́_ͬ̎_̄_̒ͮͤ̄͛̇̀_͐̇͒ͯ̓̇_̔ͫ̍̈̒_ ̈́͌ͬͥ̾͆_ͬ̒̓̆̌ͪ̂_ͯ̒̈_ͬ͗͗̅͂ͭ_͊̆ͮ_̆̅ͪͯ̈̌ͦ_͐ͧ͒̅̅̂̌_̍̃_͂ ͆_͛ͬͪ_̆̊̃̐̋̀̃_̈́̚_̅͆̽_́̐̔͂͑̓̈_ͦ́ͪ̍ͨ̈́ͪ_ͫͫ̏̿ͣ
    "Haha... Looks like you're doing okay today, Yusuke."
    "That's good..."
    "I was starting to get worried about that cold of yours..."

"He's fineeee!"
    "He's been running around telling awful jokes to everyone all day!"
    "I can't take another pun!"
    "Alice just doesn't appreciate art! That's all!"

"Don't try to act cool just because Sora's here!"
    "Hey, hey, get along you two."
    "Being punny isn't a punishable crime after all...!"

"Ah, I forgot, she likes puns too... Life isn't fair..."

"It's perfectly fair!"

"Yeah, perfectly fair!"

"Although repetition is a good way to run anything into the ground..."

"Ah, she has some sense left beneath the bad jokes!"

"Hey, hey, I came in peace, bearing snacks for all, so forgive my actually-awesome sense of humor, alright?"

"I found a small little chocolate shop on the way back home, had a bit of extra money, so I got what I could!"

"But make sure to keep it down alright?"
    "They'll say I'm ruining your diet giving out snacks before lunch, but well..."
    "You're only a kid once!"
    "Sneaking candy before meals is a proud childhood tradition!"

...Something runs through her like a wave.

Bright flashes, a flurry of long-lost sounds and laughter, a hitch in her breathing as she pauses in place for a moment mid-grasp of her cup of coffee, and...

...No. Can't keep doing this.

...The exhale of a breath she didn't know she had suddenly drawn in and held...

Not the same... Can't be the same... So...

"I'd appreciate that... Kind of surprised she did that... Wonder what it was called..."

...And goes back to normal, the usual self, shaking away memories with a contemplative gaze locked on the brown liquid in her hands, then closed eyes, and finally...

A return to the friendly smile...

"But yes... cuckoos. Interesting birds. A local shoe salesman asked me about them the other day. A delightful fellow, if a bit odd - but who isn't these days? Nevertheless, his question got me thinking, so I did a bit of light reading before going to bed," Ferguson spoke. "From what it seems, cuckoos have played a role in human culture for a long time. They were sacred to the goddess Hera, and appeared even in plays of Shakespeare. In India, cuckoos are sacred to Kamadeva, the god of desire and longing, whereas in Japan, the cuckoo symbolises unrequited love. Some very interesting tidbits."
    "Oh?"

As expected, if you dig down deep enough, there's a rich history behind the creatures...

Not that surprising, it's true for most things in the world to a degree, but...

What follows after that... Is rather strange...

"In that sense, it is - quite frankly - a rather unique existence among the birds."
    "Brood parasites?"

Much like the agent's smile, her own takes on a rather unfunny sort of tone...

"That sounds... Rather unpleasant..."

Kicking out the other eggs so all the attention is focused on you? Murder of your adopted siblings in a sense, absolutely awful behavior, not that she expected birds would have any real context for that sort of thing...

"Destroying someone else's kids so you can have them raise your own... Yeah... That's messed up..."

Yes.

Parasite.

That's a good word for it indeed...

"But what does that have to do with me...? Unless... You're saying that the school is like a nest...?"

...Is that what he's getting at?

He's asking her -a Pinefall student- about it after all, so...

Was that what he was trying to say?
    Last edited by Airen; February 18th, 2021 at 05:34 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

After Kajal Omkaras took the envelope from me, I was awkwardly standing in front of their door. I didn’t have the option of leaving the conversation and relaxing like Jayesh Omkaras who was currently relaxing on their bed. Eventually, Kajal Omkaras broke the silence after reading the letter that Aleen sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajal Omkaras
    "... I see. Aleen's friend. Gotcha. Will consider your... personal matter."
    I quietly nod about the consideration of my personal request. I couldn't exactly force people to help me or at least without great effort. With that said, Kajal Omkaras undid the chain on the door and let me in. It was only when I was allowed inside was I allowed to analyze Kajal Omkaras fully. In comparison to her brother’s style, she was definitely the more unusual one of the two. Platform shoes, exotic looking clothing, and asymmetry in her socks. I didn’t comment on it. Looks were always deceiving anyways.

"Just a warning. The things we do are... spooky. If you really care about this... Swedish friend... you might wanna reconsider..."
    I gave Kajal Omkaras a calm level glance punctuated with a casual shrug at that. This was far from my first encounter with the Turnside. If anything, it was starting to become harder and harder to surprise me as I got older.

“Not every person has the courage to talk to...”
    I watched her dramatically pause before placing her hands into the air. I’m not unsure what she was building up to say, but the fact that she’s trying to discourage me despite knowing that I’m her friend must mean something.

"... Ghosts."
    I looked at Kajal Omkaras with a collected but determined stare before saying a single word.

“Explain.”

A normal ghost wouldn’t be capable of sending a radio message after all.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Tristellia Sem Zoirvit
    "Symzonia art the greatest nation undereth the surface! We art people both proficieneth in arts of war and peace, and hath spread far and wideth to the west of the Lidenbrock Sea! We bordereth the great nation of Agartha to the north, and the people of Shamballa art our sworn friends - and our capital, the Conquered Xanadu, shineth like a jewel in the vastness of the underground! O-of courseth, thou art not wrong that we wereth more... peaceful, in the past. However, the appearence of those accursedeth nazis who forceth their way through the Hole with their war machines made us... reconsidereth. Especially after they attackedeth our dear friends of Shamballa!"
    Elise's brain went to work, simultaneously drawing a map of Tristellia Sem Zoirvit's subterranean world, while also trying to place the various literary sources it was built out of. Symzonia, the Lidenbrock Sea, Agartha, Shamballa, Xanadu…

She's made a mash-up of various stories of subterranean civilizations and mashed them all together into a single setting. Finally you've got an invasion by surface dwellers that justifies any inconsistencies with the source material as cultural changes as a result. This is absolutely insane, and yet, oddly compelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristellia Sem Zoirvit
    "Still, I art somewhat confusedeth. Thou art in the company of one of the underground pygmies - dost thou sayeth she hast not already briefed thee upon this matter?"
    Elise blinked in mild confusion, Underground pygmy…?

She glanced at Prushka, seated beside her.

Oh.

She sent a sympathetic apology to her through the shallow river of their psychic link.

"Uh, no, Prushka is a surface dweller like myself," corrected Elise, "I've only read the reports written by Captain Seaborn and Professor Lidenbrock about their expeditions under the surface of the Earth, but both of those are from well over a century ago. Please, uh, forgive me if my knowledge of the subterranean kingdoms is a bit out of date, I'd be curious to know what's happened since then. I had no idea that the Nazis had endured after their defeat on the surface, nor that they'd fled into the depths of the Earth. I'm so sorry, they were responsible for great evil and destruction up here, I can't imagine what havoc they've caused underground."

Prushka began to extol the virtues of her homeland, the magical kingdom of California when-

Quote Originally Posted by The Table
    Slam!
    Mercedes' hands slammed onto the table like a meteor, snapping Elise out of the Hollow Earth. She looked around the cafeteria frantically, gauging the reactions from the other tables. Aleen was staring at the crowded table. Subaru's efforts to keep Aleen distracted had been for naught, and now the poor girl was starting to panic. Even Tonkori cast a worried look in their direction. As for Inacio and Caleb… the two of them seemed intent on staying as far away from whatever was unfolding at this table as possible. She spared one last nervous glance to the door, wondered if Sakura heard that, and was about to come rushing to her mistress' side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes West
    "I told you that I would, like, help you out - and I will, even if I don't know what's going on. 'Cause that's what friends do. So if something's troubling you, stop acting like a stranger! That ain't gonna help anyone! Even if it's something you can't talk about, you can at least rely on me a little! Or even tell it to me straight - instead of running away from me like a coward!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille Faraday
    “You shouldn’t be worried about me. There’s no real point in it. Sometimes, I remember the look on his face. He looked very proud of himself. But all I think about is the feeling of his blood on my hands, sinking into my clothes, the screams for help that came too late. I don’t need any more faces to commit to memory.”

“People who stand by my side die. So go away.”
    'Before she deals with it, everything she touches will turn to ash. Everything.'

The demon's words from the night before ran through her mind again. Part of her regretted relaying them to Lucille, but she needed to know. Right now, however, it seemed to be becoming a self-fullfilling prophecy.

Urhg. You don't need to be haunted, Lucille. You're more than capable of turning everything you touch into ash on your own.

She crushed that thought into a small ball and dropped into the lake in her mind where it sunk like a rock to the depths. Elise struggled to find the words to say as the situation rapidly spiralled further and further out of control. She wanted to tell Lucille that the events of that terrible night she blamed herself for were far beyond her control, but her promise to Sakura prevented her from doing that, much to her frustration. Any words of advice or encouragement she had felt too deeply rooted in her own experiences with the demon to share out loud here.

The memory of Lucille and Mercedes' parting ways last Sunday was still fresh in her mind. A memory suddenly made painful by what was playing out before her. This Mercedes wasn't that Mercedes, but she was still Mercedes. She remembered the condition Mercedes was in when she'd met her in the Pool Building last Sunday. There was a terrible gash on her back. Bones were broken. Her lung had been punctured by a broken rib. She'd lost so much blood. If she and Hisa hadn't been there, Mercedes' survival seemed unlikely. Elise has no doubt that Lucille blamed herself for the injuries Mercedes had endured and what might have happened.

She probably thinks that avoiding her would somehow spare her, if anything, she's probably done the opposite.

Elise had no doubt that Mercedes was now on a collision course with the Turnside. Vivienne's description of the fate of Alex Terrot's in the previous week echoed through her mind. Countless cautionary tales where the protagonist's brush with the supernatural led them to their doom. Mercedes' investigative and observational skills, combined with her determination, would no doubt lead her down a similar path. Mercedes had handled the transition well the previous week, but there was no guarantee that she'd be able to the same again. Nor should she have had to.

That was something to worry about later. Right now though, Mercedes reminded her far too much of the Other Subaru when she'd encountered her by the yew tree. That desire to hurt someone, anyone, if they gave them an excuse.

Could that mean that the spirit of Michael Lowgate is manipulating Mercedes right now? thought Elise as she hastily cast a glance back to Subaru, That could explain a lot, but it's not that I can do anything about him here if it was. Ahg! If anyone gets hit here, I'd much rather it be me.

Ubon had interposed herself between Lucille and Mercedes. The scene reminded Elise of the last time she'd been in the cafeteria, when Prushka had done the same for her to protect her from an oncoming missile-like Ubon, but that had been fun. No one was in danger of actually being hurt.

Elise stood up from her chair. It clattered behind her as she did so. She shot a worried, pleading glance to Lucille.

"Hey, Lucille? I know where you're coming from, and I can understand what you're trying to do, but it's not helping. You don't owe Mercedes anything, but- Uhg. I don't know if it helps or not, but I know I had a lot of trouble asking for help with my problems. I thought for a long time that I needed to solve all my problems on my own, and I learned the hard way that I was in over my head."

You should know. You were there for that.

"You offered to help me with my problems and I've taken you up on that. I'm not sure you know how much I've appreciated that, but thank you. I know-I know it isn't easy to do, but sometimes you need to be able to let others do the same for you."

She turned her full attention to Mercedes and Ubon. This wasn't the Mercedes that she knew. The one she'd surrendered a piece of her soul for the opportunity to save. The one she told to run when some demented trap was sprung around them and turned something that had once been Pyry against them. She was, however, still Mercedes. With a heavy heart, she placed her left hand on the table, as she prepared to launch herself over the table if need be, should Mercedes' raised hand descend towards Ubon.

"Mercades," stated Elise sternly, "Ubon's right, and you know it. Hurting anyone isn't going to help you, them, or make anyone here feel better, and you're not helping Lucille right now. Let Ubon go."

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Weather: Overcast

In the end, we're too different to possible reconcile. The person I once was, and the person I am now are entirely too different to be even remotely the same, I suppose. What's that sound, in the back of my throat? What's that tensing I can feel in my gut? Ah.

I see.

So that's what it feels like to have something ripped from you, huh?

"You're me aren't you?" I asked, tilting my head with a smile. My eyes shone as I looked Potemkin directly back into her own, gripping the countertop a little tighter. "Why are you even asking? We're the same. My mind is your mind. We both know the answer."

I don't deserve anything. I finally understand. Even my own self rejects what I've become, huh? I smile, but it's cracked. It's not me. No, it never was me. It's a broken empty thing that crosses my face for the scantest second, and then I'm left without an expression. I don't know what one to make. I don't know what to pretend. I'm stripped of it, and all that's there is the flimsy shell of meat that coats my soul. It's nobody's fault but my own. My own emotions scream at me for all the wrongs I've done them, for all the suffering I've caused. They demand to know why I locked them away, why I threw everything away in pursuit of something that might not even exist. I hate her.

I look at her and feeling something welling at the sides of my eyes. I can feel an emotion broiling in my heart. I hate Alexstrasza Lockhart. Was it really... was it really all lies? Everything? From the beginning to the end? I'm just moving for the sake of moving. The act of moving is enough purpose in and of itself. But that's... Is that really a way to live? Can I just move, endlessly, until I die? I can't. I can already feel my legs quivering at the thought. I'm not strong enough to do it. I need something.

I am a monster of my own making. A monster forged and crafted not by circumstance, or by endless cruelty, or even by tragedy --

The only one I can blame is not fate, nor God, but me.

Deserve a second life? What does anyone deserve? I don't deserve anything. Love. Peace. Compassion. Hope. Naturally, as always, I am right; I am a monster. Even the deepest recesses of my soul know that I am a monster, so blackened and covered in tar that there is no way to ever free myself. I'm drowning, aren't I? The blood underneath my feet is always raising, higher and higher, until it's breaching my neck and entering my lungs. Those corpses that I'm standing on reach up, clawing at my skin as they tear the flesh from my limbs, dragging me down amongst them.

I can see that girl, watching in horror as I'm eaten. She's so small it's almost hateful. She's so sad I wish she would die. Her eyes are so full of something that I can't define. Is it hate? Is it disgust? Is it despair? I can't even tell anymore. This bed of blood I've made is inescapable. Even if I reach out, nobody would ever bother to grab my hand. All these things I've done...

I look down.

Underneath my feet are a thousand shadows.

I stared at the shadow, feeling that rain against my skin again as I stared up at someone who would kill me with righteousness in her heart and justice in her soul. I looked up at the girl before me, and smiled. There was something in my eyes. I don't know what it was. I don't know what this emotion was in my chest.

"Haah... Kngh."

It's not fair.

It's not fair.

It's not fair.

"Pff..."

What did it feel like, when my head came back after they cut it off? Why did I laugh, when they screamed? Why did tears fall from my face, when it was over? What does any of it mean?! All these things that I don't understand, all these... These... feelings that I'd tried so hard to throw away well up through my chest and grip my throat like a vice.

"Pfffffft.."

I'm callous. I'm cruel. I'm strong. Even these infallible truths that I held so dear seem to be falling apart before my eyes. I can feel the countertop start to crack as my hands clench tighter and tighter.

"Kkk... Kakaka..."

It started without me meaning to. A chuckle burst from my lips, and I started laughing.

I laughed as the counter began to shatter underneath my grip.

I laughed as something formed at the edge of my eyes.

I laughed as flames licked up and down my arms, the shadows pooled under my feet beginning to drift upwards, dancing along my legs to a tune I didn't know.

I laughed.

It didn't feel good.

"I want to die," I said to Potemkin, looking at her with a smile, "And yet I also want to live. It hurts. Living is painful, right? Isn't it supposed to be fun, being strong? Isn't it supposed to make you happy, when you're powerful? When people call you great? Even after all this... It's really..."

Why do I feel so empty? Why does nothing matter to me at all? Why can't I find something to want?

No.

There's something I want. Naturally. I just hate it. I hate this feeling. I hate Potemkin.

I don't like other people.

They're full of flaws. They act badly. They're a cancer on the face of the planet. It'd be better if they didn't exist.

I don't like being.

It's too full of suffering. And evil.

But even so... Why do I want to cling to it so badly? Why do I want to be alive? There's no reason for it. There's no meaning to it.

"But even so... Even if I don't have anything... Even if I don't deserve it... Even if I should have died... I want to live. It's the most selfish thing I've ever done. But I want to live. I want to understand. I want to know why Cesarina bothers with me. Why Mercedes gave me her book. Why John reads grimoires. Why Elaine saved me. Why Prushka gave me her bike. Why Travis knows medicine. Why Ramia smiled at me. Why Devon didn't kill me. I just..."

I'm not a person at all. That last shred of humanity I pretended to cling onto... Isn't it something that I lost so long ago?

"Hahaha... What a stupid goal. What a useless monster I am," I laughed, raising a hand in front of my face as I watched the flames dance across my fingertips. "I can't even resolve myself to be a monster. I really am a child, I can't even play the role I demanded be given to me."

I want to be human.

I am a monster.

But its... It's all my fault. Everything. Everything I've ever done. There's not a single good thing about me. There's not a single point that someone could point at and say its a positive. I'm strange. I'm useless at ordinary things. I'm only good at magic and destruction. If someone cried for help, I wouldn't save them. Nobody saved me, right? So it's okay right?

Tch.

Damn it. Even I know that's a lie.

"I don't understand anything," I said, staring at my fingers. "I don't even understand what it is I don't understand."

Power is everything, right? But if power is everything, and I lost, then why do I want to be alive? Why didn't I just let Devon kill me? What am I clinging to? Is there really anything to cling to? It feels like I'm adrift in a sea of unending samelessness, trapped in a vortex that I created and then hid from myself. It's in my throat. It's in my gut. It's in my head.

I hate Pinefall. I hate Road's End. It's a waste of time. It's a waste of energy. I can never relate to anyone here. I could never get along with anyone here.

"So to answer your question... Being amazing is like breathing to me!"

"And I can't ever get it back anyways, right? That's why you hate me in the first place. I'm so disgusting, that there's absolutely nothing left to clean off. It's all filth."

"You will not die tonight."

"So... In the end, aren't you saying I'm right?" I said, looking at Potemkin with wide shining eyes. "I am a monster. And what do monsters do, Potemkin?"

"Same as I'd do for anyone else in trouble."

"They kill their enemies."

"Honestly. If you think yourself unreliable in some things, Miss Lockhart, finding someone to turn to in times of trouble like that is paramount."

Flames flickered around my wrist, bursting brighter and brighter as my smile grew and grew, a maniacal thing that crossed my face as I raised my hand over my head, the fire dancing dangerously in the light--

"Are you... an angel?"

As if. My shoulders sagged, and the flames disappeared.

"I can't even do that anymore..." I muttered. "Gaap is supposed to be an imposter, right? Able to take the form of one of the students, or the people here. How could I... how could anyone expect me to just... to just..."

In the end, I've always been me. Even if I want to pretend otherwise, deep down, there's still a stupid little girl who read too many stupid books growing up.

I gnashed my teeth, and glared viciously at Potemkin as I snarled with fury:

"How am I supposed to kill Cesarina?! John! Mercedes! Am I just supposed to think 'well, that's fine', and smile as I kill Elaine? Or Prushka? Or Travis, or Devon, or Noa, or Subaru, or..."

I got attached. I wasn't supposed to get attached. They were just kept gnawing and gnawing away, and I had to keep talking and talking to them. No lessons with Teacher to distract me. No missions to make me slip away. No practical jokes that my roommate disappears from afterwards. It's just me, trapped here in this prison.

"I can't do it," I whispered. "Even if I wanted to, even if they were my enemy... Tch. Damn it. I thought I was better then this."

I'm sorry Teacher, Headmaster. It appears my mission--

--Is going to end up being a total failure.

I want to live, even if I want to die. I want to die, even if I want to live. So I need to find it. That something. That shining light in the endless darkness. But Potemkin is right. All the people around me... I can only make them suffer. They'll only look at me with disgust once they find out what I am. Because even if I want to be human, I am still a monster. Even if I try to be human, I am still a monster. The corpses that surround me are so countless they could reach the sky.

"Kakakaka!" I let out a sudden burst of laughter, and looked at Potemkin with contempt. "Well, congratulations! You've done it! You've broken me, I concede! You're right, I'm wrong! What now, then? Kick the suicidal idiot? Mock the loser? Perhaps we could play a bit of stab the newbie, that was always one of Caretaker's favorites! Or maybe one of Teacher's pranks is more your game - will it be boiling water over the door? Lava in the soup? Poison tacks across the floor? There's so many options, Potemkin!"

I smiled brightly at her, holding up my hand, displaying my wrist.

"You could always run a knife down my arm! Oooh, but I don't bleed. Sorry, I meant my neck! Oh wait, but I wouldn't die even then! So even if I want to escape, even if I wanted to die, I'd just be leaving everyone here behind, only to see them again in a day or two! Kakaka, no matter what, there's no escape for me~ Even if I die, I'll just wake up and have new sights to see~"

I hummed a lullaby I had invented when I was young, but it didn't help. It still hurt. I still felt brittle.

"Ooooh, maybe you should just keep it going! Go on, break my self-esteem next! Oops, sorry it never existed! How about my free will? Bzzzt! Gone before I turned seven! or maybe my hope for the future? Wait, but is there even any hope when all you've ever known is suffering?"

I tapped the side of my cheek, and winked, but my lips didn't even move, despite my attempts to make them.

The only solution is for me to die. But I can't die. So I have to live. But I can't live. So I have to die. But I can't die.

"Kakakaka~! Here, I'll play, I'll play! Let's do a classic, a classic!"

Flames danced up my fingers, crawling across my sleeve as they settled on my shoulder.

I let them burn me, and watched excitedly. I could feel the skin sizzling on my shoulder, the hissing sound of my flesh burning whispering through the air as I watched with trepidation. My previous record, the last time Caretaker had demanded I play, was 27 minutes and 32 seconds. I had been about... Hmm... Maybe seven or eight at the time? I had been crying after eating gruel, and he'd said I'd needed to learn a lesson. He had taught me many lessons, but most of them were painful.

Where should I spread it to? Where to, where to? Maybe to my leg? I don't really deserve to walk. Oooh, or to my face? But it would be too obvious, so it's a terrible game! Half the fun is hiding the injuries, right?! If anyone can see, then you lose~! Have to play again until you can win~!

I tried to smile, but I couldn't even manage to make my lips twitch.

I burned in silence.
    Last edited by Frantic Author; February 18th, 2021 at 08:39 AM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"No..."

It's swirling again, all around us.

The whirlpool of emotions. Here, in the midst of what should've been a happy breakfast, it's just like that night. Feelings are aflame, and in a minute, a second, something will happen that can't be taken back.

Lucille is correct. She's absolutely right in what she's doing. Every train of logic I follow leads to that inescapable conclusion. It'll end in tragedy. If she breaks down here and now, if she loses her composure, if she reaches for her friend right now - Mercedes West will end up dead or worse, one way or another. It's clear as daylight to anyone here who knows the rules of the Turnside. Keeping her away is the best thing to do. I said as much to Hisa yesterday, as we argued over what a human is.

And yet... "no", my heart cries out, as it has always done. She's wrong. You're wrong. It may be correct, but it's not right. Nothing this painful can be right.

Who? Who has the answer to this impossible riddle?

Hwan? I look at the boy and - no, he has no stake in this. If anything, he's probably looking down upon all of us and sighing at what he has to work with, a bunch of emotional idiots that can't be relied on for anything.

Pyry? Colt? No, they're gone. Left, chasing after Hisa.

Hisa... if only you were here right now. You'd know what to do. You always know what to do. But you're gone, chased away.

Tris? No, not even as a joke.

It's no use. There's no other answer. No one can stop this. Not even Ubon.

Ubon... I'm sorry. I gave you an impossible riddle. Even though I knew you didn't have a clue how to solve it. Just because I didn't know what to do, I dumped that responsibility onto you. And now, because of that, you're about to... no. No, that's not allowed. That's forbidden. You can't cry again. I won't let that happen.

In that moment.

As my heart twists into knots.

As the storm of sentiments reaches its zenith.

As everything threatens to spiral out of control.

The person next to me calmly stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "You offered to help me with my problems and I've taken you up on that. I'm not sure you know how much I've appreciated that, but thank you. I know-I know it isn't easy to do, but sometimes you need to be able to let others do the same for you."
    "..."

Something breaks.

Not just the connection between Elise and I. No, what shattered just now...

Was the one immutable thread of 'truth' that had been wrapped around my neck from the day I was born.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rules
    'You must not get close to those from the other side. It will only bring them pain and suffering.'
    Bullshit.

Right now, compared to the pain brought about by following that rule, I'd rather pick death. Mercedes made that same choice as well! Who gives a damn about 'logic' if it means trampling over 'feelings'!?

Bacon Mountain shudders. Forks and plates clatter as I rise up, planting one boot onto the table.

"Lucille...!"

One boot is followed by the other. For a moment I stand even taller than the Knight of Symzonia.

Sorry, Briggs. You're gonna have another mess to clean up today.

With all the strength I can muster, I dash across the surface of the table... and launch myself at the unsuspecting girl, wrapping my arms around her.

"You idiot!"

Days ago, when I couldn't help but cry, you took me into your arms. You held me, a complete stranger. You probably did it without thinking, and paid it no mind afterwards. But, Lucille... that embrace of yours gave me the strength to sing. That's who you are. So now I'm returning the favour.

I squeeze tightly with meager hands that have no strength.

You want to cry right now, don't you? But you're afraid. Afraid that something horrible will happen to the next person that gets close to you. You'd rather be in pain by yourself than let those you care about suffer in your stead. That's wrong, Lucille. When you suffer, they'll suffer as well, no matter what. You can't avoid living and you can't avoid others. That's what a bond is.

So look at Mercedes. Don't deny the choice she made!

"This... the person you're trying to be... she's not the Lucille Faraday that helped me, that helped Elise. This Lucille Faraday can't help anyone."

I'm not letting go. I'm not letting you leave. Even if you have arms that can bend iron, you'll have to break my wrists if you want to run away from your friend.

You don't get to deny people's kindness. You don't get to decide who's the saint here!

"Bring her back. Bring back the Lucille that remembers how to hug someone-!"

Hisa Momoi

Covering my mouth with my hand, my eyes widened slightly as I gasped;

“That sounds horrible, doesn’t it?”

Of course, this was something I already knew, and have seen with my own eyes a few nights back.

Still, I could only hope that he still knew more and that this was only just the reveal - and for that reason, I decided to deliberately keep ignoring Jake, and hope he would get a clue.

“But who would do such a thing, just like that? And why would everyone just try to pretend as if nothing happened? Wouldn’t you normally commemorate such a tragedy?”

The dossier of what seemed to be a collection of his conspiracy theory investigations left me thinking for a moment. Surely, it was unlikely that anything in it made any more sense than the things he said, but getting pieces of information out of it would probably be more pleasant than having to play along with his shenanigans.

“It’s not like they could erase all evidence though. As I said, the parts of the school that weren’t renovated are just like they were back then, and...well, you managed to find information somewhere too, didn’t you? Like, how do you know that all students died?”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

The two wisest of the Pinefall boys slipped away from the group. Something was brewing at that table, something that Colt would rather not get caught up in. Mercedes had come into the group like a mentos cap tossed into a bottle of diet Coke. Then to make sure things went wild as fast as possible, Lucille had grabbed the bottle and shaken it left, right, up, down, and juggled it for good measure.

So with a quiet wave to Tris, and mouthing the words ‘see ya after breakfast,’ Colt, Pyry and Gradient made their escape.

Colt grimaced at the sight of the downpour outside. For half a second he humored the thought that staying at the table might beat getting soaked in the rain, but it was too late to go back now.

Besides…

"Pinefall High School Massacre...!"

A pudgy man said some rather grim, overblown words in a giddy, loud voice. Those words were given to Hisa along with the janitor, Jake.

Colt cocked an eyebrow. He hadn’t seen that man last time around. On top of that, he was apparently on a topic that the boy found rather troublesome.

"... You sure we wanna get involved in this, either?"

“Well…” Colt glanced to the girl at his side, who was now excitedly waving at Hisa while making one of her signature noises. "I did sorta tell Gradient here that she gets to be the boss today, and this seems to be what she wants to do…”

Colt gave an animated shrug.

“Why, you got something better to be doing?”

He posed the sarcastic question in a vaguely hopeful voice. Of course, given that Pyry was the dense sort, that vagueness would amount to nothing. Even so, Colt didn’t feel like getting involved with the weirdo in shades loudly talking about massacres.

Even if he probably should.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi & Colt Davin

“But who would do such a thing, just like that? And why would everyone just try to pretend as if nothing happened? Wouldn’t you normally commemorate such a tragedy?”
    Barney grinned widely, wiping rainwater (or maybe more sweat) off his hands with a tiny little, and rather cutesy, handkerchief.

"Well, that's the thing, young miss! They couldn't possibly commemorate such a tragedy... because they had something to hide!" the reporter said, like speaking to another conspiracy freak. "The fact that they didn't commemorate means that either, A: The school at the time felt responsible for what happened... or B: Something was revealed during the investigation that they couldn't allow to become public!"

Jake, who had so far been wavering between having had quite enough of this person and being annoyed at the world at large, had finally calmed down. He seemed to get Hisa's wordless message, and instead settled to stand there, holding the umbrella over the girl so they could both listen to the crazy reporter's ramblings without getting wet. And more ramblings were certainly on their way, enough that even Jake adapted a (honest) worried expression.

"Why, maybe the culprit was one of the teachers, or maybe something in the curriculum made the children go crazy!" Barney continued. "Or perhaps... perhaps the whole thing was a government experiment, hidden away from the eyes of the world, and the 'tragedy' was just them cleaning the mess they made! You should know by now, young miss, Pentagon sees human lives as gnats... they wouldn't hesitate for a minute to sweep dozens and dozens of corpses under the rug if it meant saving their own hides!"

It really started to feel like Mr. Keyhoe had something against the US government...

“It’s not like they could erase all evidence though. As I said, the parts of the school that weren’t renovated are just like they were back then, and...well, you managed to find information somewhere too, didn’t you? Like, how do you know that all students died?”
    Barney let out a smug chuckle and pushed the sunglasses up on his face in a way that made just about anyone want to punch him.

"Weee~eell, I couldn't possibly reveal my sources... but let's just say I happened upon a motherload of sorts, thanks to my connections. Not only that, but I met a rather interesting colleague of mine, and we've been exchanging information. After all, we both have something each one wants," the man said with a grin. "As for the evidence, they did try to erase it all! Young miss, make no mistake - the government isn't as useless as it appears. If They want, They're able to wipe any existence from the face of the earth, and salt the ground - make it impossible to find any hard evidence that something existed in the first place. That is, unless you're a proper truthseeker like me... the sheeple never notice - they'd rather walk around with their eyes wide shut. But not me!"

Looking rather proud of himself, the rotund man pound his chest with his fist like he had been an All-American Hero of sorts.

"But the biggest reason is..."

He held yet another dramatic pause.

"--- I found where they dumped the bodies."

... But this time, revealed something that was actually a bit disturbing.

Meanwhile, nearby, the conversation between the two boys continued.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Well… I did sorta tell Gradient here that she gets to be the boss today, and this seems to be what she wants to do… Why, you got something better to be doing?”
    Pyry chuckled and returned the shrug.

"Unfortunately, nope. In for a penny, in for a pound... or whatever they say in the land of tea and crumpets," he said with a lopsided grin. "Still, I gotta say, I'm a bit surprised. You were pretty glued to Tris and her, uh, assets, but the way I see it, it's actually Graddy over here who's got you henpecked. Say what you say about trying to keep away from the weirdness, but your actions here are speaking louder than your words."

He glanced towards the girl who was already making a beeline towards Hisa and laughed warmly.

"That is, that weirdness seems to be attracting you just fine~"

With that, the boy started slowly walking after the running girl, who had just intruded into the conversation between Hisa and Barney by letting a joyous sound and tackling both Hisa and Jake into a hug. Pyry, on other hand, chose a calmer approach, and gave them all a lazy wave as he made his way to them.

"So this is where you went," he said, before pointing his thumb towards Colt. "Me and Prince Charming here decided to give the group a slip too and... well, sounds like you ended up from one awkward situation to another."

He glanced towards Barney and raised an eyebrow.

"Who's our new friend?"

Liana Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Liana
    "But what does that have to do with me...? Unless... You're saying that the school is like a nest...?"
    Her initial answer was nothing but an enigmatic smile.

One that was, as before, without humour... but with certain sense of amusement. To what, it was hard to say. Perhaps towards her and her question, perhaps towards the topic in general, perhaps towards the idea that the school could be likened to a nest, or maybe it was just amusement towards life in general... how it could bring two complete strangers together to talk about something as bizarre as this. The eyes of this silver fox of a man, as intelligent and curious as ever, seemed to be studying Liana for a good while, judging her expressions and her tone of voice, while he enjoyed the rich aroma of the coffee still smoldering in his cup. Somewhere far away, one could hear a lonely saxophone bellow through the speakers of the dining area.

And then... Agent Ferguson simply shrugged.

"That's the thing, my dear. I don't know. It's just something I heard from a man most strange, and am now repeating back to you in the vague hopes that I'd gain some clarity through you," Scottie replied calmly. "Maybe the school is a nest, maybe this town is, maybe this whole world is... or perhaps it's not a metaphor at all, but just a vague allusion - a hint of something dressed up in a poetic way. That man, Rosencrantz, was as vague as they come. So who even knows?"

He held a meager pause, placing the cup of coffee back onto the table. It was no empty, signaling that the time for the agent to leave was coming up soon. At the same time, the hustle and bustle of the dining area seemed to have died down considerably as well.

"But he did leave me with a bit of strange poetry," the agent added, squeezing his walking cane. "A piece of poetry where that same bird, that brood parasite, comes up again..."

And then...

... He recited it.

"See Him in the woods standing tall,

and you may hear a cuckoo's call,

but know that there is no cuckoo,

for in the end there's only you."

The poem that seemed to be everywhere in this small town.

Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Explain.”
    Kajal, who had clearly expected some sort of reaction that wasn't this, tilted her head in confusion.

"... Yes? That's why you came to us. Right?" She asked, gesturing towards herself and her brother. "You have heard of us. And that's why you sought us out. Despite... the natural fear... that comes with..."

She struck that dramatic pose again.

"... Paranormal."

Somehow, Vier got the feeling that this word "paranormal" didn't mean quite the same thing to Kajal as it did to her. Indeed, the way the Indian girl spoke started to make it clear there was some sort of miscommunication going on... one that was getting bigger and bigger the further this conversation went. Either the bespectacled girl had misunderstood what Vier meant, or then Vier herself had jumped the gun way too much, thinking she was going to get answers when, instead, she had stuck her head into something wholly unrelated.

Yes... that feeling had gotten so clear that even Jayesh had gotten up from his bed and was now looking quizzically at his sister and Vier.

"... No need to hide it. You heard it from Aleen, right? We're the experts... the phantom-whisperer siblings... the true spiritfacers..." Kajal continued, striking more dramatic poses with each unemotional line, creating quite the contrast between her body language and tone of voice. "The handsome brother and the cute sister... in other words..."

She put her hand in front of her face, swiveled her body to the left and stuck the other arm to the right.

"--- We're the Omkara Ghost Hunters."

Jayesh looked like he wanted nothing to do with this posing business - like he had experienced many times before.

"... And you're here to ask us to find your friend's ghost... right?"

Ah, yes.

Here it was.

The miscommunication.

Alexstrasza Lockhart

"........................................... So you'll just run away again?"

That was the question asked.

By the black, inky pools that were her eyes.

A question asked without any inflection, without any emotion.

Not disappointed, not annoyed, not mocking. Just... a question.

As if to confirm that this was her - Alextrasza Lockhart's - choice once more.

To run away.

The flames illuminated the kitchen as they danced across the body of the blonde girl, and at that same moment, she could see it. The shadows created by those flames, the flickering and warping black shapes thrown about by their brilliance, were reflected onto the monochrome creature before her. They engulfed Potemkin's arms and started to eat away at her - being a true reflection of what was happening to her as well. But the creature didn't react, didn't even scream, didn't even laugh... she just stood there and took it all. Like shadows always do. Being just reflections of the ones who cast them - what's left behind when light hits the owner.

"Well, before we burn away... let me answer you. Or rather, let me ask you this," Potemkin spoke, standing completely still. "What now? What's next? There's no right or wrong choice. You choose what you choose. I'll act as I do - with what dregs you left me. That's all there is - all that there ever will be. So if you want to throw a tantrum, do it. I can't stop you. You decide what you do yourself, as always - even if it's running away, even if it's just moving for the sake of moving - acting like those who you wanted to be, to get what they got."

The flames reflected the shadows, Alexstrasza reflected Potemkin.

And thus they stood in the tiny kitchen, facing each other.

"... But."

Those words cut into the fire.

"I admit, you said something curious there."

They cut to the burning of the blonde girl.

"... You want to destroy Gaap? But you don't want to kill them? The ones he could be? The ones that'd get in your way? The ones that are making you feel all these suffocating things? You want to have your cake and eat it too? You want to do as ordered, even if you can't?"

The black eyes followed her every expression.

"That's impossible."

Potemkin scoffed.

"You can't allow them to live if you want to kill Gaap. You can't kill Gaap if you want to allow them to live. What you want... is impossible. Tch... so selfish. Absolutely selfish. I honestly didn't know what to expect from you. Only you could have said something as ridiculous as that."

But at the same time.

"Still..."

Her eyes, just now.

"Now that
    I
    you
    put it like that..."

They were.

"A-ha-ha-ha-haa~!"

Laughing.

"--- It almost sounds like you have something actually impossible that you want to do - a thing so crazy that only you could have come up with it. In other words, that sounds awfully lot like a... motivation, doesn't it?"

With a wild, honest grin that the blonde girl hadn't used in a long, long time.

"Say, Alexstrasza Lockhart...!"

Potemkin spread her hands, her whole face flashing with excitement even while her body was burning.

"--- Do you want to do the impossible and not only kill Gaap, but also save those fools who are treating you like a friend, burrowing their way into your shriveled up heart to re-start it!?"

And she was burning up in a whole different kind of way.

"Because that's the first time I've heard you have a motivation of your own---!"

Like a flare up to the skies.

"And I love it!!!"

Hisa Momoi

“Y-you found what?”

For the first time, what the man said has left me actually surprised. It was a rather outrageous statement. Disturbing. Not to mention intriguing. How exactly could he just stumble upon something like that? One would expect that something like that would be hidden quite well…

Even if he is technically not right. There was at least that one skeleton in the cupboard, so it certainly wasn’t all the bodies.

But what was the meaning of it then?

Corpses would normally be buried properly, not just...dumped somewhere like a heap of trash.

…Is that why we are here too?

…...To end up as a pile of corpses as the result of some experiment?

Before I could spiral further down along the rather dark line of thought, I could feel a hand pulling me into a hug. As my eyes regained focus, I realized the owner of the hand to be Gradient, and with her came along Colt and Pyry lagging a bit further behind.

My eyes shifted from Barney to the two boys, then back at him, then back at the boys again.

“This wasn’t the original plan,” I said finally, “I just ran into these two on the way out.”

“He is a reporter from, err...Truth Seekers Monthly,” I gestured towards the man in question with my head, “Barney Keyhoe is the name. He was asking some questions, and telling me about some things he knows about the school. Though…”

It was certainly a rather awkward part to continue from, especially now that even more people arrived.

“You finished breakfast, anyways? Or what happened?”
    Last edited by Cheetose; February 19th, 2021 at 04:19 PM.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

We burned. I felt numb. But I can't run. Potemkin's right. I can't run any further. I... I have to change. I have to change, or I'll drown myself in my own past. There's nothing to do but move forward, even if it hurts, even if there's a thousand clawed hands dragging at my legs. I have to move. If you're not moving, you're standing still. If you're standing still you're dead.

I let the fire extinguish. The scent of sizzling flesh filled the room, a distasteful smell that made me scrunch up my nose. I hopped off the counter, and shadows formed stairs of hands as I stepped down, looking Potemkin in the eye.

"Isn't it obvious?" I said, a mad grin running across my face as I looked at Potemkin. "I can't run. Even if we ran away, we'd just end up back here. But..."

I clenched my fist. The people I'd met here, the things I'd done here... It wasn't possible for me to throw them all away. I couldn't just... just... Let them die. I couldn't. Even if it hurt. Even if it made me suffer. I couldn't let them die.

"So what? Who cares? Even if nobody ever helped us, left us to rot, abandoned us, burned us, maimed us, tried to slay us..."

I looked up at the lights of the kitchen, and how they swung in the air.

"That's fine, isn't it!?! Aren't we a monster?! So it's only natural that people do to us what they do to monsters! But here, in this place... We can't even be a monster. It's not a place that needs them. It's not even a place that cares about them. If an Executioner can stay his hand, then..."

An Executioner of the Church and a strigoi vampire walk into a hospital. Only one should leave alive. If both leave alive, they've both failed miserably at the roles fate assigned them to play. A useless monster and an incompetent executioner. And yet, that's what happened. Even if I wanted to die, I wanted to live. Even if Devon wanted to live, he had to die. That's what was supposed to happen. But Fate likes flipping coins. She likes playing dice, and making a gamble.

Well then, God.

Let's gamble, shall we?

"Then shouldn't I," I said, winking at Potemkin, "In all our magnanimous wisdom, be able to do the same!? Obviously, we're way better then him! So why not!? I'm tired! I'm bored! I'm annoyed!"

I don't want to kill people I like. That's really what it boils down to, isn't it? It's not about justice, peace, or happiness in any way.

I just don't want to hurt people I care about.

Gaap, that man without a face, that Church Executioner I met last week -- are they really all that strong?

I died to one of them.

Is she really that strong?

Everyone has weaknesses. Things that make them cry. Things that make them want to curl up into a ball and die. Things that make them wish they were someone else. Everyone has their strengths. Things that make them excited. Things that make them want to get up and try harder then ever. Things that make them wish they were better then they were before.

"I'll do it all!" I said with that insane smile that didn't feel right, and yet felt more right then anything else crossing my face. "I'll kill Gaap, because it's dangerous. I'll kill the faceless man, because it's dangerous. I'll kill whatever Devon was talking about, because it's dangerous! Not because I have to, or because some idiot in a big hat told me that it was the right thing to do. Not because I don't feel anything and want to feel something. But because if I don't..."

Then everything will be gone.

I'll never find out anything. I'll never learn anything. It'll just be the same sights, the same sounds, and the same things, repeated endlessly for the next ten billion years. I can't die unless I'm killed. But right now, even if I'm killed... I can't die.

So let's play a little, right?! Let's have a little more fun then usual, right!?

"How far can we go? How far can we go? Sure, it's for a different reason then usual, but I really want to see! Where do we stack up, Potemkin!?! Are we as good as Gaap? As the faceless man? As Devon, as that executioner, as Elaine? This place is way too entertaining to let it rot just because I'm caught up in my own thoughts!"

I smiled brightly at Potemkin, with way too many teeth and way too wide.

"I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks of us. I don't care if they hate us. If they love us. But, those people who tolerate us, who care about us of their own free will... I won't kill them. No, that's too simple right? That's way too easy to do! If it's just 'I won't kill you', couldn't I just stand aside and let someone else do it?"

I frowned, crossing my arms. I had to think this over for a moment. I tapped my foot impatiently as I thought, biting my lip, before I snapped my fingers, a thin tinge of flame bursting between them.

"I've got it! I just won't let them die!"

I felt incredibly smug about this conclusion. It was so obvious in hindsight, but I couldn't just... Get here. Be able to stand at this point. I kept running away from it, because it scared me. It scares me even now, to think that I might care about things. Is this how people feel all the time? Aren't... aren't they scared? Aren't they scared of how fragile everything seems? I feel like I might break at any moment, just saying these things, and... people do this for fun!?

Jeez...

I
    Humans
    really
    am
    are
    weird.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“… Huh.”

Colt had no words for the blonde boy’s comment. The plain boy was shocked into silence by the observation, standing still like a deer in headlights. The world around him slowed down as Colt retreated into his mind. The raindrops fell at a snail’s pace, Pyry’s back that was turned toward him appeared frozen in place.

The only thing that carried on like normal was the endless patter of the rain onto the earth.

Colt hadn’t even realized it. It never occurred to him, not even once. He had just been acting without thinking about it, never stopping to reflect on it. He’d gone out to the woods without a second thought. Drove to Thulewerk as if it were natural. Invited Tris and Gradient into his room as though it was normal.

Was any of it ever normal? Was he ever normal?

He was just trying to find out more. About Gradient, about his sister, about himself, about…

He looked down at his open palm. The locket was there. He hadn’t taken it out of his pocket, it had found its way into his hand of its own accord. As if it had a will of its own.

The rain fell like normal again, Pyry reached the others and joined their conversation.

‘Nothing was ever normal.’

He closed his hand, exhaled, then reopened it. The weight of the locket returned to his pocket, gone as quickly as it had appeared. Whatever purpose it had for finding its way into his grip was done. He lifted his head up, faintly smiling.

“You’re supposed to be the dense one, man…”

In a quiet voice, so silent that the rain completely smothered it, Colt finally offered a reply.

Shaking his head, he started making his way towards the others.

“He is a reporter from, err...Truth Seekers Monthly, Barney Keyhoe is the name. He was asking some questions, and telling me about some things he knows about the school. Though… You finished breakfast, anyways? Or what happened?”

“Well, sorta. Things started going south at the table between Mercedes and Lucille, so we ducked out.” With one hand over his head to very futilely block the rain, Colt joined the conversation. “That and a certain someone here wanted to stick with you.”

So saying, he nudged his chin to point at Gradient, who had as always gone right for hugging Hisa.

It’d be better to conveniently leave out that he’d been the one to bring up following her. Let Gradient take all the credit.

“Reporter, huh?” He turned to the pudgy guy. “Is there some serious scoop at Pinefall, aside from the obvious?”

Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

"...You're definitely a strange one, Scottie."

---In the end, her own answer to his words comes after a period of silent contemplation, where a thoughtful face had turned it's gaze downward again, before returning to meet his own with a different smile than before, one that was...

A bit more amused, as if it had let go of a bit of the seriousness she had been injecting into everything...

"Sorry, sorry, I started leaning a bit too much on you without realizing it," she laughs softly, brushing the hair from her eyes as she does, "You want my thoughts, right? Alright, alright, luckily for you, I've never been afraid of being wrong with these sorts of things, so I'll give you the Hikari Sora analysis~"

She straightens her posture-

"My gut says it's metaphorical of course, writers can't help it when doing this sort of thing, so let's see..."

-and closes her eyes.

It's not the usual meditation position, for that, she would need a bit more space than this dining room allows, but she had always done her best thinking with eyes closed and all her other senses open...

"First bit, considering the town's apparent obsession with the Disembodied Man, I'd assume it's a bit of poetry that's talking about him... So a folklore kind of story, basically.... If you see the man in a suit standing in the woods..."

This time around, she still raises her fingers to accentuate the points, but her eyes remain closed in contemplation:

"You may hear the cry of a cuckoo. Considering what you just told me, brood parasites and all that, the cuckoo crying would be something the person would pay attention to above all else, a distraction... That would mean that the next bit is saying that that distraction, whatever it is you think you hear, does not actually exist, at least not as what you think it is... Of course, the poem differentiates the man from the cuckoo, so he's probably not the one that's supposed to be making the noise... I think, hmmm..."

She pauses, her hand falls slowly to the table, and then, rhythmically...

Starts drawing the outline of a circle with one finger? Some yin-yang thing? The taichi symbol?

An unconscious tick of sorts.

Albeit, a meaningless one.

"I was talking to the college student in the library yesterday, Nora, and there is a second ghost thing that's supposed to be hanging around in the woods... Grinning Girl or some such? Local variant on the Wendigo, and I think those are known to mimic voices to lure people away? Sounds kinda like how you described cuckoos, with the whole mimicking cries thing, so maybe she's the theoretical cuckoo in the poem? Although if it's being more literal... You yourself could be the cuckoo, and the noise you heard was something you wanted to hear, a self-made distraction from your real problem... Or something like that..."

...And with that, she opens her eyes.

The movement of her hand stops.

And... Much like the agent before her...

She laughs and then shrugs.

Although her laugh is a bit more obviously amused than his own...

"Of course it's a poem about a fictional monster, so I don't know how useful it would be over all, but..."

Another shrug, before she empties her own coffee mug, and sets it down with her usual unconscious grace, arm rising anew to support her head as she rests it on her palm, regarding the agent with a smile, eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"That's what I got. Strike any chords in you?"
    Last edited by Airen; February 20th, 2021 at 07:50 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

“You mean real people actually look for power in those eldritch tomes?” John inquires, sounding honestly skeptical. “I thought that’d only happened in fiction; I mean, I just had to glance at one of them to know…”

Reading those things is a bad idea. He can only be grateful to the Shadow of the Moon, who wrecked his mind to such a degree that allows him to compartmentalize his thoughts, detaching the names of those tomes with what little he glimpsed of their contents.

“…well, I shall take my turn. In all honesty, I did not learn much on that other week—as an ordinary person I mostly slept at night, unaware of everything that was happening while I rested. In any case, it might be clearer if I don’t explain things strictly chronologically. Let’s see…”

Conscientiously, John glosses over his mental notes.

“On our version of ‘Tuesday’, the person on the bus seat in front of Sakura was a haughty girl named ‘Elizaveta Vyraj’. Also, the girl next to Colton Davin was a well-dressed girl named ‘Adelaide Cheshire’ instead of Liana Skye. However, by the next day, Elizaveta Vyraj was gone, replaced in all ways by Xylia Pheme. What I mean is that it was as if Elizaveta Vyraj never existed, and there was always a Xylia Pheme, as I guess you must believe, Ramalsaqr.”

However, John knows. That there was a single day, a single afternoon, in which Elizaveta Vyraj was one of his classmates.

“Prushka told me she got into an argument with Elizaveta Vyraj on that Tuesday evening, but Sakura claimed Prushka had that argument with Xylia Pheme, and that is the truth that existed in ‘that week’ and persists in ‘this week’. Whatever the case, last night I learned that the locals found a corpse at the beach on Wednesday morning. I did not get a name, but from the description of the victim, I am almost entirely sure it was Elizaveta Vyraj. In other words, she did exist in this world, except not as a Pinefall student. But she was nonetheless here, and died here.”

“That night, I dreamt of a forest at night, and I met ‘Muse’, the puer aeternus Vandemeel mentioned. I also noticed the thing lurking in the woods, which for whatever reason cannot step into the clearing where Muse stands. Thanks to Prushka, I now know that it is ‘Dot F. Loonwaters, the woman with the eyepatch and the crazed smile.’ She attacks if you wander off into the woods, and the wounds she inflicts persist into reality. I guess the same would apply if she kills you inside the dream. She seems to have a taste for people’s eyes, though, and she appears to be a persisting…malignancy in this town. I think it is feasible to assume every person wearing an eyepatch in Road’s End survived a meeting with Miss Loonwaters.”

He has more to say about that terrible being, but it will have to wait for a more suitable context.

“Anyway, I spent most of the week figuring out who amongst my classmates remembered Tuesday’s Elizaveta, and who only knew of Xylia. I also learned the recent history of this town and its decline from the janitor, Jake Briggs, and from the owner of End’s Store and Post.”

And Elise Marie, of course.

“The town’s decline mirrors the fall of its most notorious family, the McLampets. It all began in the 60s, with the death of Mr. Howard McLampet under suspicious circumstances and with Mr. James Halloway as the sole witness and foremost suspect. This was followed by strange happenings at the sawmill, such as unexplained machinery troubles and workers vanishing without a trace—swallowed by the woods, as they say. Then Howard McLampet’s children either died or vanished as well, until only the youngest son’s widow remained—Mrs. Josie McLampet, with a child that nobody has met or even know whether she still lives. The locals connected all these things to existing legends of ‘The Disembodied Man’, a sort of local spook probably assimilated from older, aboriginal traditions: a dark, featureless, human-shaped figure; if you happen to look at it, it will haunt you and eventually drag you into the woods to eat or kill you or whatever.”

Its original purpose must have been an obvious warning to respect the forest and stay away from it.

“The point is, Mrs. McLampet apparently did not take all these tragedies very well, and she was in no shape to keep the business going. The remaining workers left, and the result is the dying town we have today.”

There is more to say about the McLampets, though.

“During this current week’s ‘test of courage’, I visited the graveyard with Liana Skye. All the McLampet graves are empty, even those of the siblings that supposedly died in a surgery and a car crash. More precisely, there are no McLampet graves, only tombstones; there is not even room to bury any coffins. My working hypothesis is that there were no such things as a car crash or a surgical error. Furthermore, on that same night we…found a map, rather poorly drawn. It clearly marked the McLampet estate with an ‘X’, along with a drawing of a blue-haired woman with fangs—not the nosferat I am…acquainted with. At least not in the appearance She had when I met Her. As to the meaning of that map, you can make your own assumptions.”

That should be everything on Road’s End infamous family for now.

“What’s next…that Friday, Cesarina Feroce disappeared. On that evening, I went for a walk into the Ghostwood with Miss Iburi. There, we found Alexstrasza and Souma. They claimed they were on the way to the hospital, through the forest for some reason. Turns out there was more to that: Souma claimed he had ‘seen’ the Disembodied Man during his first visit to the forest—I assume that time you gave him a ride, Winters. Miss Iburi then claimed to have also seen it ‘on the night between Wednesday and Thursday’. Souma warned us that he believed something terrible was targeting us, Pinefall’s First Class.”

Souma took Alexstrasza to the place where he saw the nonentity. John remembers her words: “(that place) sends shivers down my spine, and goosebumps up my arms. It's a dangerous place, and investigating it any further seems...to be a poor choice."

“By the way, Miss Iburi is acquainted with Miss Feroce, and apparently knew that she would leave that Friday, and expected her to return to school on Monday.”

“Saturday…the Coastrises. Three siblings arrived to our dorms, claiming that they were students who had mistaken the date classes started. I spent the morning dealing with those unexpected newcomers until Miss Sae Min showed up to clarify the issue. Actually, a few days ago I asked Mister Lewis about the numbers in our class, and confirmed that those three are indeed registered students who happen to be missing, and that they were trying to contact them without success. However, the Coastrises themselves claimed to have been staying at the Owl’s Nest Hotel, which would be a most obvious place for the faculty to check.”

Furthermore…

Quote Originally Posted by Redd Lewis
    “Originally the class-size was 32, but unfortunately, we haven't been able to get in touch with three students. Our hope is that we'll reach them this week, or that they show up soon, but we couldn't exactly delay the start of the school year. Of course there's a possibility that they've simply refusing to attend but... ah well, not much we can do about that.”
    What about Alpa, then? The faculty did not expect her to come?

“That evening, Alexstrasza and I discovered that her room had been ransacked.”

He also learned that she is a vampire and a mage, but if Elaine is hiding werewolves, then he might as well hide spell-slinging bloodsuckers. Not that Alexstrasza herself is hiding much of anything, anyway.

“Then She showed up.” He pauses. “Well, a part of me doubts that it was really Her, but all hints suggest that to be the case. She conceals her form in darkness, so it is not straightforward to tell. She declared that Alexstrasza had broken the mystery of the Turnside, and therefore either she or myself were condemned to death by the world’s retribution. She also suggested that Pinefall’s faculty had no real say on selecting the students; that our presence here was predetermined, perhaps decided by something else. And then She said things that only start to make sense in hindsight…”

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Moon
    “Again, you ask me why the Child is here in the first place? Better question would be...since when has she been here in the first place? Since when have you, Boy, been here in the first place? For what reason are you both here in the first place? We are never where we are not meant to be, but the meaning itself... It seems neither of you have begun to question it. Well, perhaps on some other day, after all...it is raining on some other day. It is always raining on some other day."
    “She…I could be mistaken, but could She have been implying that was not the ‘first iteration of this week’? Regardless of whether it is time travel, mass hypnosis, or a transcendental illusion, could it be that we have been ‘re-experiencing’ this week for longer than we are aware of?”

He shakes his head.

“Regardless, She left before I could even think of asking Her anything.”

Then he passed out, but there is no need to mention that.

“That night, I met Colton and Inacio in the common area. He had received an anonymous note, pleading to meet him at the pool. Colton was naturally suspicious, and fearing a trap, he was taking Inacio along as backup. I…decided to stay behind, and report to the teachers should they fail to return by sunrise.”

Again, he shakes his head.

“I still do not know if I did the right thing. The fact remains that I watched those two walk to their deaths.”

It is better to move on. His burdens are his own to bear.

“Then I met Elise Marie, who had been doing quite a lot of investigating on her own. From her I learned that something happened to this school’s last group of students, before it was closed down. One student died, one ‘Remington Hartley’, and apparently, a second one remains hospitalized to this day. I do not know further details. On a different note, Elise Marie learned from Travis Gagnon the Oceandrop Program had a different name, but he wouldn’t tell her for whatever reason, except that it started with an ‘M’. Elise Marie suspected ‘Miskatonic’.”

“And then there was Sunday. I found the corpse of an unknown girl at the foot of the stairs of the main building. Single bullet to the forehead. The girl is actually one of our classmates, who has been living in the second floor all this time, away from everybody else because of her very limited social skills, consequence of a severe phobia to being touched. I talked to her yesterday; she’s...a nice girl, I guess.”

It is still hard for John to give anything but a rote, meaningless opinion.

Now, he has to respect Winters’ choice and do not go over that encounter. However, it is all but certain that Vandemeel has already figured out what happened, and she probably has her own opinion on Winters’ choice of silence. Well, whatever happens, happens.

“To correct Elaine’s curt testimony, the nosferat did not kill me, although She declared I was indeed going to die on that day. After that, I walked into the town, but ended up lost in a fog thicker than I can describe. I happened to meet Zane Mitchell,” he continues, glancing at Vandemeel. “He gave me your alibi, and also mentioned ‘another dead body at the beach’, now that I think back on it. Didn’t connect it to Elizaveta at the time.”

And then there’s what happened after that.

“What happened next…I still cannot make heads or tails of it. It is as incomprehensible as this looping week thing. I…apparently, I stumbled into a door that took me to the future. The year 2015, to be precise.”

Something like a snort comes out of his lips. Even John recognizes how absurd it sounds.

“Whether it was illusory magic or an incredible staging, I do not know, but I was in the J. Edgar Hoover Building, taking to the Director of the FBI and two Agents: Briggs and Ferguson. By the way, Special Agent Ferguson, at least, is a real person; I met him last night at the bar. In any case, I was still myself, of course, but to them, I was apparently ‘Agent Dove’, the ‘me’ of 2015, who had spent a long time looking for Dot F. Loonwaters. I realize now, that those FBI people spoke of Loonwaters as a concrete, actual person, existing in the physical world, not an existence of dreams. That…might just be what she is aiming for right now, in our ‘present time’: a means to step out of the realm of dreams.”

A future in which Loonwaters succeeded and became a physical existence in our world, and a John Dove who dedicated his life to pursuing her. It sounds like an interesting story, but he cannot stop himself from wondering: why ‘John Dove’? Why not anybody else more capable than he? What happened to everybody else in that hypothetical future?

“Simultaneously, or somewhat superimposed with that strange ‘future’, I was shown sights of some sort of cabin, and the strange people dwelling there. I think Colton Davin was also there for some reason. Anyway, they left me with a collection of cryptic sentences.”
    Quote Originally Posted by ???
    “There is a key in Amber House.
    The woman with the eyepatch laughs in the woods.
    It's a drug that forces you to see the truth.
    Beware of the man who died.
    You can blame all of this suffering on the one without body.”

“Well, the second and the last one are clear enough by now.”

He is skipping a few things, like the mark like a burnt wedding band on the ring finger of his left hand, to match the growing numbness with every second he spent in that office, or the flickering lights like TV static.

“In any case, my instinct all but screamed at me that I was in danger inside that bizarre scene, so I ran away and somehow made it back to ‘the present’, and then I was run over by Mercedes West’s car. Then there was an explosion in the distance, followed by an unnatural rainbow aurora that filled the sky. From what Momoi and Elise Marie told me, it appears to have been the effect of an unknown spellcaster wielding the nuclear force. It mattered little by that point, because the Disembodied Man found us, and that is how everything ended. Albeit not without it leaving one last message.”
    Quote Originally Posted by The Disembodied Man
    Y_O_U__D_I_D__N_O_T__P_R_O_T_E_C_T__I_T_.

I_T__W_I_L_L__N_E_V_E_R__E_N_D_.

U_N_L_E_S_S__Y_O_U__A_L_L_._._.

._._._R_E_C_O_L_L_E_C_T__Y_O_U_R__C_R_I_M_E_.

“The Disembodied Man engulfed me in its utter darkness, then I opened my eyes and it was Wednesday morning again. I went jogging to the track and field just like last time, but this time Winters did not show up. And then there were other differences: Adelaide Cheshire was replaced by Liana Skye, Miss Iburi’s entire physical appearance…I’m sure there’s more I didn’t notice.”

“I think I’ve told you pretty much everything I’ve learned this week as well: Ubon meeting somebody matching my description of the person I met ten years ago; the McLampet graves; Remington Hartley and some sort of tragedy befalling the school before it closed; Prushka’s description of Dot F. Loonwaters and what she can do; my meeting with the moroi…ah.”

Should he mention Devon Rustfeld, especially to Winters? Would that be fair to Elise Marie and Lucille Faraday? Not belonging to any of these Turnside factions, he would rather not stir waters already murky. And then there is Hiroto Hatou...but he did not pursue that lead deep enough to even build a hypothesis from it.

“I did learn of the Ramshack murder from the shopkeeper, Miss Popplewell. A squatter murdered last year, completely drained of blood. Vampirism does come to mind, of course, which does bring up the question of what was a vampire doing here last year, or what kind of thoughtless vampire would make such a poor job of concealing its feeding?”

“Anyway, I think I am about done. I am probably forgetting a whole lot of things, but I cannot claim perfect memory.”

Except perhaps for occult knowledge, but that’s a discussion for another time.