Page 196 of 244 FirstFirst ... 96146186191194195196197198201206 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,920 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Elaine Winters
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 09.09.1994 (FRI)
    Weather: Rain

As I thought, I had gotten extremely wet.

How dreadful.

And, annoyingly, Oceandrop's car had followed him into wherever he'd gone off to.

So now, I was getting even more wet.

This is an extremely unpleasant state of affairs, and I do not like it, no I do not.

Still, once you are a certain amount of wet, it's a bit difficult to get more wet than you already are.

And I was still wearing my rain coat, so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could be.

In any case, after a long trudge through the rain, filled with silent griping and complaining about disappearing old weirdoes, I had arrived at my destination.

The white edifice stabbed into the sky above, before, it had seemed like some lonely old tower at the edge of the sea, now, however, it seemed a great deal more ominous. Looming above with a sense of low menace, the shadow it cast stretching across, casting me into darkness from where I looked on.

Why are you here, tower of light?

I know what you do, but why do you do that?

Questions, but no answers.

Annoying.

In any case, I trudged up the path leading to the old tower, solid boots dragging slightly with their waterlogged weight, a thump-squish, thump-squish marking my stride.

The door was unlocked, which I supposed was promising, in a way, rather, it looked as if it had been broken off, broken into, more like.

My brow furrowed lightly, and I shifted my weight forward, hearing the twinge of faint conversation coming from within the tower.

I approached gently, edging my way lightly through the door and towards the echoing sound of voices coming from the summit.

If it is you, what are you doing out here?

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

"They... changed?"

Barney's question and the confusion in it was palpable in the dusty air of the servants' house.

"You mean to say... the hair color and the eye-color of Howard McLampet matched that of the girl from then on? But that's... wait, that's odd. I remember when I was writing an article about SS Ourang Medan, and one of the photos that I found... well, it might have been black and white, but it was still quite clear in it that the hair colour and eye colour of the man had been exactly that - far before he returned back to Road's End," the man continued, voicing his doubt. "So how could that be, if they only changed when he became family with this Allene...?"

There was no humour in Beatrice's laughter, yet she laughed anyway. The old woman calmly poured some more tea for herself, and Hisa could hear the dog lift its head as if to look up at the old woman. She had gotten her mental strength back once more, after that momentarily relapse when recounting her memories of years far in the past. And, once she was done filling the cups for both of them, Beatrice continued.

"And that's the thing... the change was retroactive. Every photo we found, every description written down, every piece of past that had been noted about the appearance of the man known as Howard McLampet - or Hughard Lampe - it had been... changed. From the start, his eyes and hair had been of those colors. Nothing else. You can understand how terrifying it is to realize something like that, right?" Beatrice asked, though she did not wait for Barney's answer. "Then imagine when you realize that you might be the only one that remembers... and even only then when you focus your mind. For you see, human mind is a strange thing. When something in the environment changes, when something is accepted as the new norm... it's easy to stop questioning it. I saw it happen to many people. Eventually they simply stopped thinking it strange, and accepted the new truth. Only when I questioned it did they realize that something was wrong. And that is why, even as old as I am, I've made sure to keep my mind as sharp as possible - so as to never forget the truth."

Losing one's truth, or at least what one believed to be the truth, to the new reality just like that... as an esper, Hisa could truly understand what a fearsome prospect it could be. It was like losing oneself into the new rules that espers spread with their Odic Particles, and forgetting that outside it, the reality and its original Laws still existed. And to think that this woman had fought against the normality of that new reality through all these decades... it spoke volumes of her mental fortitude.

"... The same effect spread to other people as well. First Howard's eventual wife. Then their children. Ironically enough, it never did affect the spouses of the first three children, Aaron, Elena and Ainsley. Then again, those three... they knew something was strange. Perhaps that was why they never accepted the McLampet name as their own. Rather, they added a hyphen to their own name, and added McLampet to that. Perhaps such a simple act of symbolism was enough to spare them of such a fate. But the wife of the fourth child Elias... poor Josie. She alone took the weight and the fate of the McLampet name. And how could she refuse? From the beginning, she was of the branch family that had spread to Taiwan thanks to Howard's multiple business deals there - both in lumber and ships," Beatrice continued. "Still, to bring us back to the topic of the girl in question, Allene... well. There's more to her story. For as you probably know, the rise of the McLampet's to power was staggering. It was as if a rocket had been strapped to their back. They made a killing with the lumber industry, spread their ships to the Far East, and bolstered the economy of the town. He brought in his friend from the Spokane air force base, James Halloway, who began to oversee other businesses of the town. Together with their friend, a man named Jack Parsons, they planned a glorious future for the town. There was even talk of making it the new Menlo Park of the 20th century. After all, they had cut ties with US military and did their best to keep them and the government out of the town. It was to be like a privately-funded science city."

Barney, who had perked up as the story continued, interjected with a curious question, and by the look on Sakura's face, she had been wondering silently the same thing.

"And the townspeople didn't object this? The fact that their lives were being turned upside-down by one family - no, just one man?" Barney questioned, sounding a bit incredulous. "Knowing what sort of people live here, I find that a little hard to believe..."

Hisa could see the reflection of Beatrice's dry smile from one of the cabinet windows.

"Oh but they didn't... that's where we come to the matter of Allene McLampet once more. For you see, she was a strange young woman... truly, truly strange. She did not speak much, nor did she do much, but when she did... it was as if the world around her bend to her will. People who harbored hatred for her found themselves helping her when she asked, and those who feared her found themselves praising her when she so wished. It did not take long till she had not only the McLampet family, but the whole town wrapped around her finger. What she wanted happened, and that was it," the old woman spoke. "It was a terrifying type of charisma that was not meant for this world, not even in the least. I asked you if you believed in the supernatural, Mr. Keyhoe... and I can say that I didn't. Or rather, I used not to. Not before I met Allene McLampet. With just a word, just a look, it was as if she destroyed the part of your personality that went against what she asked... and then you did it. For her. Because she expected you to - believe you would. There was no way resist it, and her mere presence was like the sweet allure of honey to most. Yes, she might have been the reason why the McLampets were able to climb so high so fast... from the deaths of the Klallam to the obedience of the townspeople... but not once do I believe that Howard McLampet was in charge of that all. Not completely."

There was a definite, pregnant pause in the old woman's words, and as if to answer that, the wind outside picked up in strength and rattled the large windows of the lobby.

"... No. I believe that it was that girl. Allene McLampet."

The two girls could practically hear Barney draw breath in surprise. Then the armchair under him creaked as the man leaned forward, pen and paper in hand and eyes full of curiosity and questions. And the most pertinent one of them all was...

"You... you sound as if you have first-hand experience of her, Mrs. Beatrice," Barney half-whispered, sounding enraptured with the tale. "Did you... did you meet her? Did you meet Allene McLampet?"

Beatrice simply scoffed.

"Meet her? Heavens yes... I met her alright. I probably spent more time with her than most, sans Howard McLampet and his friends. For you see... I wasn't just hired to be the maid at the McLampet manor, no," the old woman spoke. "I was hired as the personal maid... of Allene McLampet."

The silence was so heavy that you could have heard a pin drop.

"... Those are years that are forever burnt into my memory. My mind and my personality being shattered and shaped by her every word, her every look, to the point that I almost lost myself. Hah... losing the functionality of my legs was a small price to pay to keep myself from becoming someone who I was not," Beatrice explained, her voice cold. "It is... hard to describe what being in the room with her was like. It was as if you were forced into a mold of her desire, and with violence - there was no denying her. And I was supposed to be with her every hour of the day. Still... it's not that harshness, that nightmare that left the greatest impact. No... that prize goes to our first meeting. When I first met my 'lady'."

They could hear Beatrice gripping the handles of her wheelchair, tightly, as if to make sure she didn't try to flee from the memory itself.

"I've never seen eyes like that. The way she looked at me, the way she looked at everyone... it was as if she wasn't looking at a thinking, feeling creature. It was as if she couldn't understand us at all, on a fundamental level. In her eyes..."

The dawning horror in the old woman's voice was heavy.

"--- It was like we weren't even human..."

Sakura, biting her lips and slightly pale on her face after that description, turned to look at Hisa in the shadows of the corridor. The worry in her eyes was clear, and it was an easily shared sentiment after hearing something like that. Soon enough, the scarred girl heard her mental message within her own mind.

[What... what even is that?] Sakura asked, sounding both curious and horrified. [An esper? It sounds like some sort of telepathic esper with a mental presence unlike anything I've ever heard but... is that even possible? Could an esper be so powerful that she can forcibly alter personalities with her mere words? And if so... what kind of scars does a mental tyranny like that even leave? No, in the first place, how can one town full of normal people even oppose something like that?]

They were all very good questions. And in Hisa's mind, when she thought of her own powers, the idea of such an esper...

... It didn't feel impossible.

Far-fetched, but unfortunately, not impossible.

It was almost like a version of herself that didn't have any humanity or compassion for others.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; March 31st, 2021 at 03:20 PM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

---He struggles.

It's not entirely unexpected; boys have a tendency to struggle against this sort of thing for the sake of their pride; considering the circumstances, this reaction was about the one she had been searching for, a way to hard-distract him from whatever he had seen when looking at the statue, and thus...

When it comes down to it...

She simply lets him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “You tell the doctor…” His face was now bright and full of color. The color of shame. “That you already got her payment.
    "No, no, if anything, I got my payment."

---Of course, it's not that simple.

She enjoys teasing others herself after all, call it a bad habit, one deeply ingrained in the family.

There was a reason she could conceivably call a Fae an aunt after all-!

"You showed me something rather unique, but it won't extend to Auntie I'm afraid, I'm not the one the deal was made with~"

Of course, if she had been the one the deal was made with, she would have come asking around for her payment eventually too... That was also a sort of family habit, but one that she kept mostly in check-!

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “T-that’s not fair! I was the one that was taken advantage of! My pride… my masculinity… my…”
    Of course to this, well...

But you feel better now, right?

She just thinks this...

She could say it out loud, but... Well...

Let her own motivations be her own motivations.

If her distraction had worked, then there wasn't much else to say; wounded pride -conveniently ignoring her own weirdness about perceived charity- was a bit of a silly concept anyway wasn't it? These two were humans, if some sort of monster came screaming out at them from the rafters right now, she'd be the one fighting it, and thus, she'd be the one protecting them then too, but it'd probably be a-ok in everyone's book then-!

Half of a sigh, and half of a laugh...

"..."

That are then interrupted by her catching sight of two familiar men up above, a certain FBI Agent, talking as animatedly as he had been this morning, and...

"Hey Thorne, Scottie~!"

The other one, the darker more sarcastic man that has her eyes light up slightly as she waves to him up at the balcony, recognizing the way his expression had changed when he looked at her...

"I'll be up in a bit!"

---It's quite the animated reaction in a sense.

So much so that she almost missed what Colt said, but...

"Mosquito?"

Her animated wave to the two men above stopping soon after she starts, the girl's more neutral tone returns as she glances back at Colt...

Thorne picking fights again?

Or...

"That's not very polite."

A sigh.

"He works here, friend of mine. Surprisingly good with kids."

---She defends him automatically.

Again.

Second time today.

"My business is with those two, but I'll help you find your friend first."

Although she doesn't seem angry, just sorta...

Surprised at Colt's reaction?

Or perhaps...

Contemplative...

"Kinda curious about her myself..."
    Last edited by Airen; March 28th, 2021 at 08:47 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

I looked at Travis with wide eyes, my head tilting a bit as I stared at him. He laughed, but it didn't seem like he was laughing at me, or demeaning me, or even trying to hurt me. What was so funny, anyways!? What's so funny about me that makes him laugh like that?!

I don't understand.

Other people are scary. I don't understand them. The things they do don't make any sense. If something hurts, don't you want it to not hurt anymore? If something's painful, don't you want to not be in pain? So isn't it best to just avoid all of those things in the first place? But they don't. They get involved, even if it's scary, even if it hurts. Are people really...

Really that simple?

"When you smile for real, you turn out to be hell of a cute girl. You should do that more often. Would make it easier for you make friends, I bet. Well, some of the guys might have ulterior motives past that... ah, I guess that's just how it goes, relationships between the genders. You never know where they end up! Trained from a child by one of the world's foremost neurological and behavioral expert, and I still can't understand those things at all!"
    I'm not cute. I've never been cute even once in my life. Eerie, perhaps, ethereal, maybe, or even 'untouchable' - but cute?

Haa... This is the problem with mortals. They really don't understand some things, even if they understand others so well.

"Still... if the world does reset, I wouldn't mind it. That is, becoming friends with you again. When I came here I thought I'd have no allies whatsoever, so... having someone besides you feels reassuring. So, even if it turns out dangerous later, I don't mind sticking by you either. Guess it takes knowing what it feels like to be alone against the world to appreciate someone having your back?"
    "Very well then! I will befriend you after Cesarina, Travis! Even if you don't remember me, I will incessantly reference things you don't understand until you do! Because that's what... friends... do?"

"Alrighty, let's get this damn show on the road! We've got plenty of searching to do and that moron that is my sister to find! Let's hop to it!"
    "We must away! Quickly, tiny morsel - to the top!"

I hefted the small being to the top of my shoulders, pointing forward as we marched towards whatever it is Travis wanted to find.

Wait, a sister?

"I didn't even know you had relatives, Travis! What's your sister doing in Road's End?"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "I touched a guy's butt. Then I felt tingly all over. Is that puberty?"
    The silence on the other side of the line was deafening.

It continued for an uncomfortable amount of time, stretching longer and longer until Prushka heard the familiar noise of the man exhaling through his nose and pushing his glasses up on his face.

"... Let me get this straight, Prushka. You... you called me to tell me that... you touched a guy's butt," Darwin repeated, sounding like he didn't exactly believe it either. "And then, you started to feel tingly and... oh. Oh, okay. Umm, right... right right... just a moment here..."

The receiver on the other end was laid down on the table, and Prushka could hear the man rise up from his seat. The next noise picked up by the line was that of a pile of books being slammed on the table and then furiously leafed through, as if there was a fire burning under the man's ass. The sound of flapping pages increased, akin to desperation, and over it the girl could hear the bespectacled man whimper some choice words. It almost sounded like he was saying something along the lines of "Oh god I'm so not ready for this!" and "Just calm down, just calm down, you've meant to talk to her about the birds and the bees for ages" and even "Why did I have to be at the office today of all days, why couldn't one of the female researchers get this call...!?".

Eventually, with a defeated sigh, Darwin returned to the line.

"Okay, ehm, e-err, well then... let's start with a couple of basic questions alright, Prushka?" the man said, and gulped loudly. "These feelings... have you had them afterwards? For example, if you've seen other boys? Maybe even with girls? T-this tingly feeling, does it feel like an... itch? Maybe somewhere around your lower body? Have you, ehm... noticed any changes in your body? Y-you see, there's this... thing... called the pituitary gland. She might be small, but she has big plans for you and--- ah. Ehm, erm, Prushka..."

There it was.

The most awkward pause of this man's life.

Like he wanted to just hang himself on the spot.

"Have you noticed yourself... bleeding... recently? Maybe... when you've been... sleeping?"

For some reason, Xandra looked like she was howling in laughter nearby, yet tried to keep it all in.

John Dove?
    Phase: Evening Phase?
    Date: 09.09.1994 (FRI)?
    Weather: Rain?

Click.

The door opened.

And the world changed. When John Dove stepped out of the bathroom, he realized that he was no longer in the diner he knew.

Everything had been saturated, colored over, and it was constantly on the move. Like a great big tunnel, a run through the Möbius Strip, a kaleidescope of colours that were burnt into his retinas whether he wanted to or not. A technicolor nightmare that assaulted his every sense, and almost caused him to go blind the first time he laid his eyes open the world that awaited him. By instinct he managed to close his eyes and put his arm up to shield himself, but even then the light shone through his eyelids and assaulted his pupils.

But then, like the core of a pulsar, that light faded away, dimmed, and let the young man keep his vision once more. The burning sensation left.

But the smell of ozone was everywhere.

It practically forced its way up his nose and straight into his brain.

Such a stinging, violating sensation caused gastric juices to rise up his throat, along with forcing his eyes open.

And what he saw... was madness.

Was there even a word for these colours?

They were everywhere, squirming, shifting, rotating, enlargening and engorging, diminishing and shrinking.

And outside, through those windows that should have showed the grey vista of the early evening of Road's End... he saw simply pure white light.

Pure white light pouring in like it had been fire.

"------------"

Everyone was gone.

Everyone was gone.

Everyone was gone.

The owner of the diner. The child and the fisherwoman. Even his friends.

They were all gone in this mad, mad world. This unending world of colours. They had simply disappeared and left him alone in this existence of nothingness, a spectrum-colored facsimile of the diner. The interior was the same, the decor was the same, but it was devoid of life. There was nothing but the light. And the colours. Oh god. The colours.

The colours.

--- The COlours.

------ THE colOURS.

--------- ThE cOLOurS.

------------ THE COLOURS.

That is... until John Dove finally laid his eyes upon the counter of the diner.

There, on a red stool, sat something.

He looked at it.

And it looked at him.

And in that instant...
    --- He saw me.

"H_E_L_L_O_."

I said.

"J_O_H_N___D_O_V_E_."

Elise Pelltier

Elise stared back at the girl who's existence seemed to be remarkably like her own, and yet entirely and completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru Iburi
    "... But what of you? Is the foreign thought within you truly separate from you? Or just another aspect of yourself? Where does Elise-Marie Pelltier end, Child of Man, and where does the unknown begin? It is not exactly within my realm of knowledge, but I know of a saying in certain Taoist text... One may detract from a thing and it is enhanced thereby, or enhance it and so detract from it."

"What do you think it means, Child of Man?"
    "I used to think that the lines between it and me were quite distinct, but lately, I've been feeling like they're a little..." Elise paused as she glanced down at Tonkori, "...fuzzy."

She gave Tonkori a quick pat before she continued.

"The demon is wired into my brain and body. As much as I might not like it, that does make it a part of me. I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to call it another aspect of myself, but just by virtue of being part of me, I'm pretty sure some of me has rubbed off onto it..."

"One may detract from a thing and it is enhanced thereby, or enhance it and so detract from it," repeated Elise as she mulled over the saying Subaru had shared with her, "It sounds a little paradoxical, I suppose, but I think I get it? What you're saying is that I shouldn't be looking at the demon entirely as something that detracts from me. There's something to be gained from it- not-not in the whole poisonous promise of power sense but in the understanding and learning something about myself sense? Bettering oneself by learning and acknowledging one's, ah, darker aspects? On the other side of that, if I did see the demon as something that, uh, enhances me, I would be losing myself very, very quickly."

Elise frowned to herself as she thought back to a meeting in her dorm room the previous night, and the advice Subaru gave her regarding the demon then.

"I guess this ties in to what you said last night, where if I understand the demon and its purpose, it would help me to banish it from my mind?"

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Rob..."

Oh no. Oh dear. Oh my. Maybe that was too much.

I want to reach across the phone lines and pat the poor guy on the back. Since that's impossible, it'll have to be verbal reassurance.

"It's fine! Don't worry! I went through the biology textbooks ages ago, so I already know about all the icky stuff. You don't need to explain it."

Really, that was half to chase away anyone who might be spying on the call. No one wants to hear this talk, not even a government agent.

"There haven't been any physical changes yet. I was hoping, uh... y'know!" I gesture, waving my free hand even he can't see it. "Emotional growth! I don't think I'm interested in girls-" Sorry, Xandra. "-but I've been um, noticing guys a lot more. Especially, uh, a-abs and muscles and stuff. Y'think this might be, like, a sign? Like maybe the processes got mixed up and it's happening out of order? Is that possible? Has it happened before? Can the pituitary gland do that?"

He's the behavioural scientist, so maybe he'd know if behaviour and biology are linked that way. I certainly don't have a clue. Only hopes.

"And don't worry, that's the worst of it! Everything else just easy questions by comparison! Just figured I'd open with the toughest, so-."

Really, though, dumping those hopes on someone right off the bat is... isn't that kind of awful?

"So... oh. Right. S-sorry. I was being rude like usual, wasn't I? And you've got a report due, too... uh, did I call at a bad time?"

If there's anyone back home I should've apologized to and never did, it's Rob.
    Last edited by Bloble; March 28th, 2021 at 11:26 PM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

The direction the conversation took left me frowning - but how exactly it made me feel, I couldn’t quite tell.

Partly curious, perhaps?

[It’s not that impossible, if you think about it. To begin with, it was clearly not just her words - but someone like Beatrice likely couldn’t make the connection to the abilities of an esper, if that’s what she is. And from there, well...there are likely many ways, but without thinking too much about it, I can only come up with the example most relatable to me, which...might even make it look rather easy.]

[Things like eye or hair colour are only defined by their melanin content. Similar minor traits only require small changes like that too. I mean...your body is like a factory while also its own product. An autonomous factory operating based on genes, internal and external stimulations and other circumstances...but if you have the key to this factory, and know how to work the machinery inside, then you can alter a body in just about every way without the need for fancy tools and artificial equipment.]

[Similar to it is our personalities. On a fundamental level, it’s a product of our genes and experiences, habits, memories and the likes that we start developing from the moment of our birth. They are all in our body, stored in different ways...and a slight modification to these is all it takes to change and manipulate people in certain ways - but I guess I don’t have to give examples for that.]

Averting my gaze from Barney and Beatrice, I shift back into the shadows, and cross my arms in front of my chest as I look at Sakura.

No, it’s certainly not just curiosity. There’s something else I can’t entirely grasp, even though I could easily put it into words. But saying it out loud…no, that would be impossible.

[Point being is, that’s the easiest part of it,] I continued as I rubbed my arm uncomfortably, my eyes locked onto Sakura, [Especially if you consider that most of the townspeople are ordinary humans. What sounds harder to believe is that she can retroactively change everything - almost like rewriting history entirely. That’s something I can hardly give an explanation for…]

But just as I said that, a random thought occured to me. Nothing more than a theory, but better than nothing, maybe…

[Unless it’s not history and the physical evidence she changes, but the way these people see those things. Like how I could show you an image of a white cat, but make you believe that what you are seeing is a black dog. Of course, if this is the case, then we’d need to figure why it’s affecting us as well. After all, I see the McLampets as blue haired, red eyed people as well. At any rate...it’s clearly one of the aspects that is harder to grasp.]

I certainly did not want to assume that my own brain was already tinkered with.

[There’s also the question of what exactly is fueling her power. Depending on how many people she manipulated, it could be a rather exhausting task...and then, of course, nothing explains how she lived for so long, supposedly reincarnating, even. Espers are not immortal, and certainly cannot come back from the dead just like that,] I snapped my fingers without making a sound, [Not impossible, maybe, but it just gets you thinking how exactly she could do it…]

The more I thought about it, the more my discomfort grew...it shouldn’t have been this easy of a thing to relate to…

[Anyways, I don’t think the story is over yet,] I gestured towards the lobby with my head, [Let’s listen for now.]

There were some questions I wanted to make Barney ask too, after all.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can see colors. And they hurt.

Uncomfortable does not begin to describe it. An ever-shifting kaleidoscope that leaves not a moment of respite. Closing his eyes does nothing—the colors attack straight at his visual cortex, battering his brain with their bloated presence. The unnatural presence of the scent of ozone, the mark of released magical energy, surrounds him like an ominous mantle. His hand reaches into his pocket, finding an odd sort of comfort in the familiar presence of Ishtar Irkalla.

He stepped out of the toilets into an empty world. These colors do not fill it; rather, they trample on it with the arrogant disinterest of a bulldozer tearing through rainforest.

These colors…are unnatural. Just like the twisted aurora of that Sunday.

He grits his teeth, but that offers no succor. It is like standing in the middle of a desert baked by a Technicolor sun. The colors sear the skin just as the smell sears the nostrils.

This is just a provocation, he realizes. Giving discomfort to the other party to have the edge in any situation.

The only option is to compartmentalize his mind—isolate the conscious mind from the upsetting stimuli as much as possible, to regain the ability to think clearly. Disregard these colors and this scent like he does everything and everybody else. Use the scar in his soul to protect himself.

Able to open his eyes at last, they immediately settle on the lone figure filling this empty world with its prismatic arrogance.

Quote Originally Posted by ?????
    “H_E_L_L_O_. J_O_H_N___D_O_V_E_.”

Makes no sense.

The figure in front of him makes as little sense as the scene around him. No hint as to what it is, where it came from, or what it can do. Only a robe for which he has no adjectives—at least not a single flattering one.

“Hello,” he replies, and then realizes he needs to clear an unexpectedly dry throat.

He cannot submit. That is not a choice. Even if he cannot fight, he does not have the luxury of surrender and submission. Whatever it is that drives him now completely rejects the easy way out.

“This keeps happening,” he continues, slowly, cautiously approaching the seated figure. “I keep meeting complete strangers who know me for whatever reason. I guess I’ve heard about you, though.”

His left hand holds to the counter, just in case.

“Based on first impression, you do not seem the type to like being called just ‘you’, but I’ve heard quite a few names for you, so I find myself in the obligation to ask.”

It is still—to a degree—Avery’s Diner, so he does not need to ask permission to take the seat next to the cloaked being.

“What should I call you?”

It is—metaphorically and almost literally—like staring straight as the sun. Thus, if he is going to come out blind from this scene, he will try his best to get a good deal for that price.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

"Well. You took your sweet time."
    "Apologies... but there ended up being quite a few sources I had to contact for.... more information. Knowing more is always useful... isn't it?"

Vivienne's detour to Pinefall High had indeed been quite valuable, though by the looks of it the time to relay such information. After this meeting perhaps, Vivienne and Alex could round up their findings and work out the heads and tails of all the clues that had been gathered. Alex did sift through the library while Vivienne was gone, and while it was a guess, Vivienne had faith in Alex's qualities as a person that was... very productive with their time.

"... Still. Better late than never. We have a meeting to attend. The guy from before is coming here right now."
    "Hmmm... better late than never indeed. I suppose that... I can pose as a helper of sorts -- hotel staff or something... if they are curious that is. Unless you would rather not I attend?"

Outright claiming to be Alex's bodyguard might appear quite strange, and keeping a degree of obfuscation over her true purpose was something that the young woman always preferred -- it was 'logical' after all, especially when dealing with people she hadn't met before, nor could she ascertain their intentions or worth.

"Do you know... anything about this person? Have you met them before?"

How did she come to learn of them? Did Alex contact them, or did they contact Alex? Or perhaps did the meeting get set up by Xeni?

As she pondered on this and awaited Alex's response, Vivienne noticed two familiar faces, especially one that she had gain a vested interest in seeking out -- Anna Vandemeel, who reportedly was the person that had investigated the End's Mercy the most thoroughly. Unfortunately, with how things were going, Vivienne would not get the time to speak to her now but... perhaps in time, they could discuss.

Blog Entries
    Elaine Winters

In all honesty, making one's way up the spiraling staircase running up the wall of the lighthouse without making noise was... well, impossible.

At least when your shoes and your raincoat were dripping with water.

After all, most of the lighthouse was just one big empty space with some remnants of the furniture and other things that had once been there, rusting away at the center of the cylinder-shaped space. 'Rusting away' was also a good term to use to describe the metal staircase itself. It creaked and groaned under Elaine's weight, and the sound of the water drops hitting it from her clothes were magnified by the terrifying echo that governed the building. Step by step, drip by drip, the blonde girl ascended ever upwards, hoping that whoever was above was too preoccupied with their conversation to notice her.

Unfortunately, that did not seem to be the case.

After making it about halfway through the staircase, she could hear the talking up ahead stop. An uneasy silence reigned over the whole of the building, and the staircase under her feet felt like a treacherous ally about to plunge a dagger into her back. One more step... and then it did. A loud, metallic creak ripped through the air, making it all too obvious for the people above that someone was heading towards their direction.

At that point, there was no use in hiding anymore. If anything, moving decisively and quickly was the right thing to do.

That was why, without wasting another second, Elaine made a beeline towards the hatch leading to the top of the lighthouse, and burst in while letting her eyes scan the room.

First of, Elaine saw the veritable mess that had been created at the top of the lighthouse. Around the great big light itself were abandoned furniture, sofas and tables and the like, making a makeshift living space of sorts. Between those there were trashbags filled with what seemed to be an endless amount of TV dinner trays and soda cans. Multiple old television sets lay strewn about in the room, all of them on though producing no sound. Instead, their oddly sharp light illuminated the two people inside the room, both of whom had their eyes on Elaine.

The first one being...

".......?"

A young man she didn't recognize.

But unlike this stranger, the second one was someone she could have recognized anywhere.

Or... should have been able to, at least.

But looking at him, there was something... strange with him.

Something had happened.

Was it really...

"... E-Elaine?"

--- Kean?

Colt Davin & Liana Skye

While Agent Ferguson gave Liana and the rest a cordial wave and a smile, the same could not be said from Hawthorn. That cold smile on his face was aimed squarely at Colt, and as the stares of the two men collided, it was as if sparks were crackling all over the lobby. The expression of a relaxed hunter, and the hint of an annoyance it was laced with, told their message quite loudly. The black-haired man was behaving only because he had a guest - one not part of the Turnside. Had Ferguson not been here, Hawthorn would have, most likely, already accosted Colt.

However, that lef the trio with a question.

Where were they supposed to go now? The hint had been that Luca had gone "clubbing", but they were here at the Country Club and they were nowhere to be seen. Were they just supposed to search randomly until they'd run across them? Or, perhaps, was there another part to the clue that could have pointed Colt into the right direction? At this point, anything was possible.

Cathie, on the other hand, wasn't mulling over that - at least not yet.

Instead, she glanced over at Hawthorn and frowned.

"Ugh... what's that dude's problem? He's giving you a major stink eye," she commented, glancing at Colt. "No offense, Liana, but he doesn't exactly seem like the type. Y'know, one to get along with rugrats or such. If anything, it's the exact opposite. You sure he's not just stringing you along?"

Cathie rubbed his chin, taking another glance at the duo.

"Actually, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure he's eaten at our place before... Mom didn't like him either," she muttered. "And I'm pretty sure mom likes everybody..."

Truly, it seemed that Hawthorn's stocks weren't high at Road's End in general.

Vier Wolff

As the doll named Sakura headed back outside to the rain so she could take the normal route - that is, use the main entrance - and approach the unknown man openly that way, this left Vier with some time to do another quick sweep of the second floor. She took a gander at the various corridors, corners and rooms to see if someone had left any signs of being here before them. However, judging by the amount fo dust (both normal and sawdust) on the ground and the fact that everything was as the workers probably left them, the idea that Fyrtio had been here in the last week or so looked unlikely. Having gained her results, the scarred girl took a position in the shadows of the second-floor walkway, where she had a perfect view of the strange man and the doll that was approaching him.

The doll, on the other hand, had taken the route outside, descended down from the second floor and walked over to the main entrance. From there, she could see the mysterious man still glancing about, moving some of the debris with his shoes and mumbling stuff to himself. Now that she was up close, the guy seemed even less dangerous than before. If anything, he looked like a fluffy ball of pacifism up-close... to a point at least.

Nevertheless, it was better not to drop one's guard totally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura
    "Good evening!"
    The doll called out to the man with a cheerful greeting, causing him to let out a surprised sound and spin around on his heels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura
    "What a nice day it is for a forest trip"!
    The non-threatening, beaming hello that the doll had used made the man blink owlishly in surprise. He clearly wasn't quite sure at what he was looking as the doll approached, its artificial joints clicking and clacking in tune with its wooden geta. However, the closer she got, the better the young man could see what exactly was approaching him... and once he realized that it was no monster of the forest or something of that ilk trying to lull him into a false sense of safety, that expression of surprise and confusion melted away.

It was, instead, replaced with a gentle smile.

"Ah, well hello there, miss," the man replied, his voice sounding breezy and soft. "I have to agree. While many would say that rain makes it miserable to go hiking in the woods, it does also give a forest an unique fragrance - something you can't get at any other time. So yes, this is rather nice day for a trip like this, even if I'm out here on a job."

The man dusted off his clothes an little bit and squatted down so that he could speak with the doll at the same level, and while it was nice for him to do so, it also meant that Vier suddenly lost a clear line-of-sight to the man's head. He had squatted in such a way that he was more or less behind one of the pieces of heavy machinery from where the girl was looking.

On the ground, however, the man simply smiled sweetly at the doll.

"Oh, apologies. I haven't even introduced myself before launching into a spiel about the finer aspects of traipsing in the woods," the man chuckled, before putting a hand on his chest. "My name is Nikolai Alexandrovich Labzin."

He bowed his head respectfully at the doll.

"What might your name be, young miss?"

New Person Met!

Lucille Faraday

Eventually, Mercedes fell asleep - despite the difficulties and despite the shivers that had been going through her body. For what it was worth, at least in dreams she seemed to be free of the terrifying experience she had had... the one she had masked away well, as if she hadn't been bothered by it in the least. As strong as Mercedes was, she was, at the end of the day, a girl who wasn't even twenty years old yet.

No wonder having to shoot herself had shook her so.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem like Lucille was any more free now that the other girl was asleep. After all, the way Mercedes had dozed off... she had kept to her own side, sure, refusing to cuddle up to the person sleeping next to her. However, she had clearly needed some sense of safety, as in her half-sleep state, the starlet had caught hold of the hem of Lucille's shirt with her fingers, and was now keeping a tight hold of it.

Like it was the only anchor that Mercedes allowed herself in this turbulent ocean.

Anna Vandemeel & Vivianne Bianchi

"Hardy-harr, keep 'em snake jokes coming... it's not like I haven't heard literally all of them by now..."

Ramia grunted this while rolling her eyes, though judging by the wry smile on her face, she wasn't nearly as annoyed as she tried to act. In fact, this whole session of trying to come up with something useful to make for John and talking shop had certainly lifted the girl's spirits a little bit. He wasn't being quite as gloomy as she had been in the car when the talk had been about the artifact. Now she was more or less back to her usual self... though Anna did catch her giving the rainy weather outside a few distant glances, lost in her own thoughts.

Well, at least she was moving to a better direction.

Still, when the raven-haired girl asked her last question, Ramia's eyes wandered over to Alex and Vivienne.

"Terrot and Bianchi? Honestly... beats me. They're both in the league of their own, and for different reasons," the mercenary answered with a quiet voice. "Bianchi's a given, considering how she is. But Ms. Reporter here... she's something else. While we've been here, she's went through the library like a woman possessed - acting nothing like she's back at school. Though at the same tme, at school, she always comes across as a little... weird. Like she's keeping everyone at an arm's length."

With a sigh, the dusky-skinned girl scratched the back of her head.

"Not that I've ever been too good at reading other people. There were few incarnations who could, but never got the hang of it again. More's the pity..."

Meanwhile, the two girls who were being talked about had their own little conversation going on at the other end of the library. Alex, setting aside the journal she had been writing in, let out a slightly annoyed sigh and rubbed her temples - as if to ward against a migraine that was coming.

"There's no need for that. In fact, that'd just be making things overly complicated in the long run. A hasty lie leaves short tracks, and all that," the reporter replied to Vivienne. "You can just act as my partner in this. In other words, no need to come up with a cover story for no reason whatsoever."

Judging by how she was talking, Alex's mood hadn't exactly gotten better during the time she had spent at the library.

"As for the person themselves... no. Not exactly. I know who they are and know what sort of information they're supposed to bring me, but that's about it," she explained, making a vague gesture with her hand. "But, since we don't know him too well, be on your guard. Look for anything suspicious... but don't be suspicious yourself. Just keep your wits about you, that's all."

The young reporter was about to say more, but at that moment the door to the library swung open quite suddenly. This caused both pairs in the room to fall silent. A deep quiet descended into the area as a pair of footfalls approached where Alex and Vivienne were, and between the rows and rows of bookshelves the quiet girl could see the tall shape of a man approaching. She saw a hint of dark blue hair and a glimpse of someone who carried themselves with rigid, cold focus.

Then, rounding the corner of the last row of bookshelves, the man finally came into a view and Vivienne noticed Alex tense up immediately.

Not because of the specific person who appeared before them, no... it was as if the fact that there was suddenly a man in front of her had caused the reporter to freeze up.

Just for a moment.

But then, Alex finally gathered her bearings.

"Barney Keyhoe, I presume...?" Alex asked, raising an eyebrow.

The man before them let out a quiet grunt.

"Sorry. Barney couldn't make it," he replied, simply and matter-of-factly, speaking with a quiet, yet stern voice. "I'm here in his stead. In other words, a liaison."

This caused Alex to cock an eyebrow.

"Are you now?" the reporter asked, looking rather suspicious. "Got any proof? Who are you?"

The young man put one hand to his hip, while using the other to draw a brown envelope from within his jacket. He lifted it slightly upwards so both Alex and Vivienne could see it.

"Here. The data that Barney promised. Sealed so that you know it hasn't been tampered with," he replied. "Also. Rather than demanding one's name outright, shouldn't you lovely ladies introduce yourselves first?"

He scoffed a little, shaking his head.

"Well, whatever... I guess I can go first."

The young man narrowed his eyes at both of them.

"--- The name's Orion."

Immediately, something felt off. After all, that name... it certainly didn't sound anything like a modern person would have.

And at the other end of the library, Ramia turned to look at Anna with a raised eyebrow of her own.

"Is it just me, Red, or are there some Turnside warning bells ring-a-ding-a-linging?" The mercenary asked with a quiet whisper. "And not just in a minor way?"

New Person Met!

Alexstrasza Lockhart

Rain fell incessantly, hammering away at the roof above the heads of Travis and Alexstrasza.

They, along with Stephanie, had decided to camp out outside the End's Store & Post, since it was one of the few places around that allowed them to stay relatively dry while also offering a great view of the town and its many empty streets... empty being the operative word. Perhaps Travis had hoped there'd be more people around during Friday evening, but so far it looked like every single one of them had been driven away by the poor weather. The only ones they saw around outside were either hurrying straight to their homes or using vehicles, and Travis's target didn't seem to be among those.

Though they did see a familiar-looking car pass by far away. Were some of their classmates also out on the move?

"Well... as I said. It's a long story."

Travis started with that as the two settled on the wooden park bench that had been set against the brick wall of the building. He had used that very same excuse to not immediately start with his tale where the three were walking, but now that they had nothing but time on their hands... perhaps he had deemed it would at least serve to whittle away some time.

"I say sister, but it's not like we're actually blood-related. See, I grew up in an orphanage back in Canada. Multiple ones, since I got kicked around between them. But in the one I stayed the longest, there was this one kid I was thick as thieves with..." the boy started his story. "She was smart beyond her years, like I was, and guess that caught the eye of some big shot back in the States. We were picked up by this doctor lady... or perhaps researcher is the better word. Not adopted, mind you... at least not legally. If anything, we were taken in by her to become her apprentices. She was a weird one... tough and cold on the outside, at least if you just gave her a cursory look. Truth was, she was just hell of an awkward lady, and didn't exactly know too much about human interaction. Still, there was something she wanted to get done, something she didn't know if she could do all on her own lonesome, so on a bit of a whim, she took both me and my friend under her wing."

Travis, leaning on his thighs, intertwined his fingers together and watched the reflections of them three from the nearby puddle. Stephanie, sitting between him and Alexstrasza, did the same and grinned at the sight of her own happy face.

"Years go by and we learn all sorts of stuff with her. That was our life, basically. Until... well. Stuff happened. We got separated. From that lady, and from each other. Some sort of government agency or institution came in and caused all sorts of trouble. They basically Shanghai'd my friend for their own project, forcing her to work for them in exchange for the safety of me and our... well, mom I guess you could call her," Travis continued. "Everything turned to chaos, mom had her own troubles to deal with, and then... I found myself alone. Again. Out on the streets."

The expression on the boy's face grew cold.

"... A bit over a year ago, I learned that they'd stationed her here on some business or another. Doing God knows what. My friend was here, whereas I was stuck in Canada... and probably would have been for a while if I hadn't learned of the Oceandrop Program," he said, a dry smile cracking through his expression. "That was my lucky break. I knew they'd probably have me under surveillance if I tried to approach her on my own, so I needed a good reason to be here. And Oceandrop Program was my reason. All I needed to do was... to break the personality I had so far, and become someone twisted - someone unfit for society. I basically broke myself down to the building blocks and reconstructed myself. And just in time too. Managed to get the invitation here among the last batch, from what I understand."

With a sigh, a look of determination crossed across Travis's face and he clenched his hands into fists.

"--- I've come this far. All I gotta do now is find my friend. My sister."

He nodded, mostly to himself.

"... I gotta find Nora and save her from whatever shitshow she's gotten herself mired into."

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "I guess this ties in to what you said last night, where if I understand the demon and its purpose, it would help me to banish it from my mind?"
    Subaru gave a graceful nod.

"Verily. To master oneself as a whole is to take in even the darker aspects of yourself that you may hide from normally, and make them serve you just the same. Not by succumbing to them, but by understanding what they are and seeing the limits and freedoms that they may bring with them. Of course, it is only natural for humans to shy away from the shadows within them, but..." She paused for a moment, pressing a hand against her chest and smiling as if remembering something from long ago. "... As long as we fear them, they threaten to consume us. As long as we deny them, they threaten to overcome us. As long as we hate them, they threaten to take control over us. It is only by truly mastering yourself and all of your potential that you may bring it all under your control, both the good and the bad."

Tonkori, who had been quite well-behaved and quiet during Subaru's speech, let out a loud bark that sounded almost like she was agreeing. The young dog looked up at Elise with her tiny eyes, and truth to be told, there seemed to be a surprising amount of wisdom in them. An amount that should not have been possible for a mere dog. The idea that the creature in Elise's lap might have been a bit more than she appeared started feeling strangely possible...

Subaru - the Child of Gods - on the other hand, gently gazed into the rain-beaten forest.

"It is ironic that the Children of Man are so good at mastering others, their environment and all that they see, yet they have always been poor at truly becoming the masters of themselves. And those that do often achieve it through a life of ascetisim, secluding themselves into a spartan life of religious fervor. Perhaps it is simply in your nature, or perhaps it is some sort of fundamental misunderstanding that happened a long time ago..." She spoke thoughtfully, as if waxing philosophical. "Nevertheless, exceptions do happen. Especially at the times of great crises. It is those time that bring forth the most powerful of change within people, after all..."

And with that, the small girl turned her eyes back towards Elise.

"So... what do you intend to do, Child of Man? You may accrue knowledge as much as you please, but we are all under the Sword of Damocles here. Our days are, literally, numbered," she spoke questioningly. "What is your plan regarding the darkness within you? I fear erelong you may not keep the guise of the girl fading to the background that you have been using as your shield so far."

Both the eyes of Subaru and Tonkori were all on Elise now.

Prushka

".... H-huh?"

For some reason, Robert Covington sounded quite surprised all of a sudden. The man's palpable minor shock was almost too clear over the phone line, as was the silence that followed. At the same time, rain kept falling across the yard of the gas station, masking that same quiet with a static noise that only the nature itself could create. Even Xandra, who had been trying to hide her laughter just moments ago, gave a quizzical look towards the small girl.

All in all, it took almost a minute and a half for Darwin to snap back to reality, which he did with a momentary stammer and the sound of him once again pushing his glasses up on his nose.

"N-no, it's alright, Prushka! I was just, uh... w-well, you know me. I'm not exactly the best person to talk about stuff like this. It's not like I'm too experienced myself. B-but, uh, I still don't mind telling you what I do know! Even... even if it is only theoretical knowledge," Robert answered, chuckling a little bit. "Still, uh, sorry. I let my nerves get the better of me for a moment there. But... just a moment, I'll open up this page and... hmm..."

The sound of flipping pages could be heard in the background once more.

"Hrm, you know, I think it's a good sign? The fact that you're interested means that your hormones have started rolling, which should mean bodily changes aren't, eh, far behind? It's not like we can get a 100% accurate 'weather report' with the data we have of regular ol' humans, at least when it comes to you. You and your siblings are so far ahead of us in many ways, there's bound to be lots of differences," the man continued, losing a bit of his nervousness as he started talking shop once more. "All I can say is that maybe you should start keeping a record of any significant changes? Measure yourself and such. And if you get more of those sorts of feeling, hrm... well, I don't think there's any reason to be wary of them? Just go with the flow, as they say! Nature has a way of teaching about this stuff, from what I understand, haha..."

The laugh at the end there sounded a bit self-depricating, for some reason.

"... Oh, though... don't get too angry at any boys if they feel weirded out. You know how it might appear to them, what with..." Prushka could practically see the man vaguely gesture with his hand somewhere around her height. "E-ehem! What I mean is, I'm sure that things will work out if they're meant to, so no need to stress about!"

Yep, he was most definitely blushing at this point.

Still, after saying all that stuff, Darwin suddenly fell silent... though this time, there was something comfortable about that silence.

"That being said... I guess week and a half are a longer time than we thought," he suddenly continued. "Just a hop, skip and jump and suddenly you're growing up in leaps and bounds. Talking about boys, worrying about puberty, and... haha..."

Yes, there was definite warmth now in that voice.

"Even apologizing to one of the 'awful humans' you always loved to rag on."

Hisa Momoi

"That... that sounds beyond terrifying."

Barney's words were an understatement, considering the nightmare that Beatrice had just described. However, judging by his voice, the man understood perfectly just what sort situation it had been - it was simply that he had no better words to offer. Beatrice, hearing his reaction, let out an agreeing hum and went for another sip of her tea... only to realize it was empty again. She poured herself another cup, during which her dog walked up to her and nestled against her unmoving feet, as if to instill some courage into the old woman.

Finally, once the cup was finished, Beatrice brought it to her lips and took a sip. Then, and only then, now that her hands had stopped shaking, did she continue.

"Yes... it was. A living nightmare. One that had caught a hold of the whole town, bringing it under its iron heel. There was no escape and there was no reprieve, just a life under the watchful eye of Allene McLampet and her terrifying presence," Beatrice spoke quietly. "And it continued like that for many, many years. Each day, it got a little bit easier... but only in the sense that it was a bit easier to fit into the mold that she wanted us to be in. A bit easier to believe that lie she forced upon us. Most of the town, eventually, succumbed... but I didn't. I kept my mind till the bitter end, hoping that at some point, we would find a way to save ourselves."

Barney gulped loudly, and with nervous hands sipped on his own tea that must have been cold by now.

"What... what did she make you people do? What was life at Road's End like back then?" He asked. "Did she... did she want something? Did she have some goal?"

In the reflection of the cabinet, Hisa could see how the old woman shook her head.

"No... or at the very least, if she had some goal, we never learned about it. To her, this town was... one could say it was her sanctuary. She made it into an insidious trap worthy of its current name. It was the end of the road for so many, and there was no turning back. The business boomed and people arrived, each one vetted by Allene McLampet. Those that were accepted joined the town, those that didn't were driven away like dogs. Especially those affiliated with the US military and government. Yes... for them, she had a special sort of hatred. It was as if this town was her very own fortress against the spies of the government, those who had tried to take her away in the past. Yes, it was a fortress, and we were the slaves serving in it, acting on her every whim and having our selves be slowly whittled away in the process," Beatrice continued her explanation. "Thus people were gathered, the town grew, money started flowing in and the plans of Howard McLampet were blooming, all the way the town itself served as a shield of sorts for the terrifying powers of Allene McLampet. In truth... we would most likely be under her iron rule even now if now for two things that happened in 1962."

That made Barney lean forward again, interest gleaming in his eyes behind his sunglasses.

"You're talking about the death of Howard McLampet... right?" The man asked with intense curiosity. "Do you... do you know what happened? Was it an accidental death at all? Or was there... was there foul play?"

Beatrice sipped on her tea and flashed a dry sort of smirk, as if even asking that question was a foolish thing.

"In all honesty... I wonder about that to this day. James Halloway had been always fiercely jealous of Allene McLampet, to the point of even alienating his own wife. Just like Howard. And from what I understand, so was Jack Parsons. Some of the letters he sent to Miss Allene... well, let us say the man did not mince words. Still, whatever happened that day, it was a spark that lit the powder keg. With the death of Howard, the rest of the McLampets - his children - began scurrying for power and, most of all, for the favour of Allene," Beatrice replied. "The one who'd control Allene would control the town... or so they thought. Too bad fate had other things in store for them. Perhaps our desperate cries of freedom had been heard by something or someone, perhaps not... but on that year, two people appeared. They rallied us together, broke us free from Allene McLampet's curse, and allowed us to take back our town."

The tension in the silent air was so thick that one could have cut it with a knife, and the rain outside was sounding like the drums of war.

"First of them was a woman with strange powers... powers that allowed her to break the hold Allene McLampet had over us," Beatrice spoke. "She came from West-Virginia, or so she claimed, and though her appearance, especially her smile, was beyond terrifying, she was, in the end, someone who fought for us... even if I'm still not sure of her real motives. Nevertheless, without her help, we would have never been free."

There was a pregnant pause.

"The name of that young woman was Indrid Cold."

Barney nearly choked on his tea at that moment, hacking and coughing and banging his chest with his fist. Beatrice smiled patiently and waited for the man to collect himself before continuing.

"The second was a young man who had been born and raised at Road's End... someone who knew our plight well and wanted to end it; wanted us to be free. Though young, he became the figurehead opposing Allene McLampet and everything she stood for, fighting to break the chain around our necks," the old woman continued. "He was the leader of those who had been freed and led them in the fight to retake our town and deal with Allene McLampet once and for all."

Somewhere far in the distance, lightning struck across the skies.

"... His name was Daniel Cooper."

John Dove?

Oh?

Does he have an inkling of who I am? What I am? As expected of John Dove, even in the maelstrom of this frozen, discarded second he hardly seems ready to lose his mind. I suppose he's always been the level-headed one of the class... though when push comes to shove, and when he realizes his own powerlessness and place in this story, he more often than not descends into a spiral of depression and self-destructive behavior. He swings easily from one extreme to another, as if thinking he can atone for his perceived mistakes by just throwing all hope away.

Guess that makes him emotionally immature?

"_U_L_T_R_A_V_A_N_I_A_."

I give him the name that people have been calling me with since HE gave it to me. That hated title and moniker, one that I cannot rid myself of no matter how hard I try. But in this case, it fits rather well. Imposing. Unknown. Strange. It's all that I need for when dealing with this class.

I aim my stare at John, and the world outside rotates. The colours change and the heart of the beating sound pulsates. Quasars quake and spiral in this diner, and there's no escape. Only the emptiness of the outer space that I share with him, the technicolor void that is my being.

"_S_T_I_L_L_.__D_O__T_E_L_L_," I speak, laughing at his words. "_I__L_O_V_E__T_O__H_E_A_R__O_T_H_E_R_S__T_A_L_K__A_B_O_U_T__M_E_."

Mm, it's the first time I appear before him, isn't it? It's alright to play around a little bit, isn't it? Maybe something new, oh, something new...

... It's been so long since I've heard something new.

Yes, let's make him tell me something new.

----- Ghhk.

I crush the urge to just snap my fingers and obliterate this diner and the downtown area. No. Too many times I've ended it all with just giving into the insanity and erasing it all, so disgusted with the world around me that I just want it all gone. It never works. It always just begins again. Like it always does. It's not like I have any escape. This time, I've made it this far, I've done this well, so I can't... I can't just end it all again.

I can wallow in the soul-destroying existential dread later.

For now... I just have to bank on the slight possibility he tells me something new.

"_I__L_O_V_E__T_O__L_I_S_T_E_N_," I continue, filling my head with conversation instead of self-hatred. "_A_L_W_A_Y_S__H_A_V_E_._I__O_N_C_E__S_A_T__I_N__A__W_E_L_L__A_N_D__J_U_S_T__L_I_S_T_E_N_E_D__F_O_R__A__L_O_N_G__T_I_M_E_,__G_A_Z_I_N_G__A_T__N_E_W__E_N_G_L_A_N_D__S_K_I_E_S_._I_T__W_A_S_._._.__C_A_L_M_I_N_G_."

Flash of memories, of places, runs through my head, accelerating that time into just a fraction of a second and bashing it against my brain.

"S_T_I_L_L_._._.__Y_O_U__L_O_O_K__C_A_L_M_," I laugh. "_N_O__W_O_R_R_Y__A_B_O_U_T__W_H_A_T__I_'_V_E__D_O_N_E__W_I_T_H__Y_O_U_R__F_R_I_E_N_D_S_?"

I lift my sleeve and gesture towards the empty booth they were sitting at just moments ago.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Cathie
    "Ugh... what's that dude's problem? He's giving you a major stink eye," she commented, glancing at Colt. "No offense, Liana, but he doesn't exactly seem like the type. Y'know, one to get along with rugrats or such. If anything, it's the exact opposite. You sure he's not just stringing you along?"
    "...He doesn't like people that remind him of himself."

---Ultimately, this her response.

The cheerful face falling away to quiet contemplation, Liana simply says this in response, closing her eyes and burying the brief flicker of annoyance she had felt by being mostly ignored by the man up above, and...

"..."

Opens them again after a moment, this time regarding Colt with a newfound sympathy, a brief flicker of sadness, as if...

As if something had clicked...

But what it was, well...

Seemed like she wasn't going to say.

"And he's fine with kids, takes care of the little heiress here... He likes to appear abrasive, but he's a nice enough guy deep down."

Even if only I see that.

Not like he makes it easy to see of course, but still...

She sighs.

Then.

"Ah well, don't focus on him, don't need you two getting into a fight over something silly."

She brushes some hair to the side, and does her best to go back to her usual, cheerful self...

...After mouthing a 'behave, please' to the man up above anyway...!

Not that she expects he'll listen, this was getting a bit too close to how he had started acting around John last night...

"Focus on your friend, this Luca. Going clubbing was it?"

She frowns.

Why do supernatural beings always have to be difficult about these sorts of things? Would it kill them to just say where they were or what they wanted?

...Well that might be a bit hypocritical of her to think, so best to stop that train right now...

Just think of a potential answer and go for it, like...

"We could always try the golf course? Clubbing could be like a golf club, you know? I think there's one behind the building, although it's raining..."

This...

Not the strongest answer, but as she had told Scottie this morning, she didn't really care about being wrong in these sorts of situations...!

"Just keep an eye open as we go, and I'm sure we'll find her soon enough... Maybe see what the rooms are labeled as..."

Maybe she'd even run into Sierra.

That'd be nice.

Nicer than she's sure running into Luca will be, but...

Now she's really curious.
    Last edited by Airen; March 31st, 2021 at 05:16 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Elaine Winters

I did my best with what I had, alright?

Sneaking around's not easy when you've got big stompy boots and are dripping everywhere, being very thoroughly wet.

So, logically, despite my most valiant efforts, the conversation I'm attempting to overhear fades as I reach what I surmise as the half-way point.

Reasoning that they've already heard me, I toss caution to the wind and go ahead with what I'm actually decent at, raw speed.

The stagnant air races past me as I dash over the creaking metal stairs, brushing past a cobweb or two, then, eyes fixed on the hatch at the summit, burst through, eyes ablaze.

The room was a sty, abandoned furniture lay here and there, askew, but forming a loose sort of living area for the person or people residing there, empty trays for TV Dinners and quick meals dotted them and the ground, their electronic compatriots that gave them their name lay on tables and on the ground, like dead eyes.

In the room were two persons.

The first was young-looking, a man, wearing some sort of sailor's costume, complete with a hat perched on his head, mismatched eyes peered at me through a somewhat effeminate face, making no noise other than a faint sound of bemusement.

I had literally no idea who he was.

Besides maybe a ghost.

But, thankfully, the other person I was aware of.

It was who I'd come here for in the first place.

"Jeez, there you are, who'd you expect, Count Chocula?"

I heaved a sigh, rolling my shoulders lightly as I did so, working some tension out of them.

"Thought for a second there I was going to have to dig you out of the junkyard or something."

I grinned gently, eyes still sweeping the room.

"But looks like you Got'cher self banged up a little there, chief. You don't look so good."

I peered at the bandage covering one of his eyes, frowning.

"Whatcha doin', skulking out here in the spooky zone? 'Sides ditching class and smoking joints with your good buddy," I nodded at the sailor, "Poor old Oceandrop was in tears, y'know?"

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Good with kids my ass.

Colt’s eyes stayed locked with Hawthorne’s. Mutual disdain traveled between their gazes, just as it had the night they first met. Even at a distance the boy could tell that, with different company, that man would already be at him again. That without present company around, he’d likely be staring down that black barrel once again.

"Ugh... what's that dude's problem? He's giving you a major stink eye. No offense, Liana, but he doesn't exactly seem like the type. Y'know, one to get along with rugrats or such. If anything, it's the exact opposite. You sure he's not just stringing you along?"

"...He doesn't like people that remind him of himself."

“Heh, figures, neither do I.”

Was it an admittance that he saw something mirroring himself in Hawthorne, or just hot air? The boy wasn’t sure. The only thing he knew to be true between Colt Barrett and the gunman Hawthorne was the simple truth that Hawthorne’s evaluations of the boy had struck him irrefutably. That without a way to fully rebuke him, all he could do was return the man’s malice with his own.

"Actually, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure he's eaten at our place before... Mom didn't like him either. And I'm pretty sure mom likes everybody..."

“If that guy can put off even Ms. Walker, I don’t think there’s a decent defense anyone can put up for him.” Colt remembered the welcoming smile that Cathie’s mother had given to each and every person he’d dined with at Avery’s. Even that rascal Travis, who had spent most of his time there trying to pick a fight with Colt and Tommy, was given a pass. Colt thought that maybe her patience and tolerance was simply infinite, but apparently even she had a limit. “Sorry, Lia, but I reckon you might just have bad taste in friends, I mean…”

Colt narrowed his eyes at Hawthorne. The memory of the man standing amidst darkness, between the trees, with only the speck of red from a lit cigarette revealing his face…

“He seems like the type to show up in the middle of the night and point a gun at’cha, just ‘cause he doesn’t like ya.”

So saying, Colt finally peeled his gaze away from Hawthorne’s as Liana suggested not focusing on him. He had something to do, and if he spent his day staring angrily at the other man he’d never get anywhere. The boy had his fill of meeting eyes with the unpleasant for one day. No reason to push it.

"Focus on your friend, this Luca. Going clubbing was it? We could always try the golf course? Clubbing could be like a golf club, you know? I think there's one behind the building, although it's raining...”

“With Luca, who knows… but,” Colt drew the locket from his pocket. He spent a few seconds staring at it in silence. Once this week its compass had actually pointed in a singular direction, towards his old friend. Now he found it could be used to speak to her, though not by him. “Instead of searching randomly…”

The odds were slim, but just maybe…

He flipped the locket open, and looked at the needle within.

“Maybe we can get a bonus hint.”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"So it's a good sign... haha! A good sign! Hahaha!"

A good sign! That means it's better than three years of nothing!

"Alriiiiiight-! HORMONES, DO YOUR THING!"

I throw a fist up to the sky. Take that, nature! You can't hold me down! I'll take back every centimeter you've kept from me! I'll measure every single day! Just wait, by the end of the year I'll be huge! My boobs are gonna be bigger than Vivi's! Bigger than Hisa's! Bigger than - well, Ubon's aren't that big... whatever! It's time! Prushka time!

"Okay, Rob, I'll go with the flow! It'll happen faster if I touch more butts, right!? Then I'll touch as many as possible! The boys can get as angry as they want; this is for the sake of the future!"

None shall be spared!

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin
    "That being said... I guess week and a half are a longer time than we thought. Just a hop, skip and jump and suddenly you're growing up in leaps and bounds. Talking about boys, worrying about puberty, and... haha..."
    "E-eh?"

Am I that different? It's only been a week and a half, maybe two weeks from here, but... have I actually changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Darwin
    "Even apologizing to one of the 'awful humans' you always loved to rag on."
    "Oh..."

I guess I did, huh. What are you doing, making me think of this stuff!? What's this burning feeling creeping up my neck?

"W-well... d-don't get too used to it!"

The cool rain calms my racing heart. Or at least, it should. But it's doing a horrible job of it right now!

"I'll get moodier again, just wait! Think of this as, uh, an 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' sort of thing. Or puberty making me feel all weird. And maybe I changed my mind on the whole 'awfulness' stuff. Just a little! A teeny tiny bit!"

A tiny, bit, yes. Strange... I could be honest with Xandra, a near stranger. Yet here and now, talking to a friend I never accepted as a friend, someone who's known me since I was in diapers, who's been there for all those moments I'm more and more ashamed of by the day... it's like I can't get the words out. Like they're all jumbled up in my head.

"So, um, d-don't expect me to be all, like, remorseful or anything when we see each other again, okay!? 'Cus I'm not gonna apologize for being a brat or anything like that! Or say something like 'you weren't actually that awful; I was being too hard on you'! Or thank you for raising me! That's d-definitely not gonna happen!"

What, is this? Shame? Embarrassment over a decade and a half's worth of bad behaviour? No way, no how! Half of that yelling was definitely justified! Or a quarter! At least a tenth!

"So... just... think of it as a 'maybe', okay?"

Sorry, Rob. I haven't grown up yet, so I can't say what needs to be said here. But I'll definitely say it properly when we see each other in person again. I'll convey to you my real feelings. Until then, this is all I can give you.

"Geeze, what the heck am I even saying... this wasn't even why I wanted to call..."
    Last edited by Bloble; March 31st, 2021 at 07:34 PM.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

“Worry about my friends, you say…” John murmurs, looking around only to quickly change his mind as the colors batter his brain with gusto.

Focus on the robed one. Minimize headache.

“I just came out of a lesson on losing my nerve in the presence of the Turnside. I would rather not make the same mistake twice in a row. Besides, I suspect you know me well enough to know that I would not value the lives of Ubon, Inacio, Caleb, or Aleen over Avery Walker, the angler lady and her young companion.”

Is that still the case, John Dove?

“Glancing at the world outside this building, should I assume that you erased everything and everybody else aside from yourself and me?” Again, he stops himself before shaking his head and exacerbating the headache. “I think I will not.”

Something like a despondent smile manages to find a way to his face.

“I am not nearly as important to be the last man on whatever’s left of Earth. I make a rather poor choice for the Adam of a new world, even before considering your qualifications as an Eve.”

After that most bizarre of comments that cannot ever qualify as either a joke or flirting, John straightens his expression and finally does answer the robed figure’s question.

“My assumption is that this is some sort of isolated space, not quite part of the world I know, but not quite detached from it, based on the fact it preserves the appearance of Avery’s Diner. Of course, the possibility exists that you did something to my classmates and everybody else before bringing me in here, but I cannot define my thoughts on a person based on unverifiable possibilities and things that may or may not have happened.”

That would mean he would have to resent Ramalsaqr for what she did to Elaine Winters, resent Elaine Winters or Vandemeel for having powers and abilities that could kill him in an instant, or resent Alexstrasza or Hawthorn for being blood-suckers.

He would have to resent Her, his bloody and argentine savior, for the deaths of Ramalsaqr and Elaine Winters. For his parents, for the cult, and for everybody claimed by Ishtar Irkalla.

That is just not a practical way to live. It is not a way John Dove can live.

“If you send me back to the diner and I am welcomed by the smoking corpses of my classmates, then I will loathe you and fear you. Not before.”

And if the week restarts and he goes back to a Wednesday in which this person has not done that, then he would not loathe or fear them anymore. John Dove is the kind of twisted person whose mind can work like that. Perhaps that will change in due time, but for now, he works how he works.

“Though, it is a shame we cannot have this conversation in the real diner. It sells a great pie. But you must have your reasons to arrange for things in this way. I can only accept them.”

He does not really have a choice, anyway.

A single breath later, he moves on to address the other being’s request (demand?).

“Now, you asked what I know about you. It is not much, and I doubt it is anything you do not already know, so I will go over it quickly: Vandemeel posited that you are a ‘moonchild’—the result of a successful Babalon Working. The Thelemic messiah who is both Babalon and her daughter. On the other hand, she also stated that you have lived for hundreds of years, creating an apparent contradiction.”

He leans towards the counter, resting his arm on it.

“The obvious answer is that one of these statements is false, but this is the Turnside, in which the possibility exists that they are both true. For example, if Aleister Crowley was older and lived longer than everybody assumes, and in fact performed the Babalon Working centuries ago. After all, it is a fact that he signed his commentary on the Book of the Law as ‘Ankh-af-na-khonsu’. Or perhaps you were indeed born in this century, but the World for whatever reason needed to compensate for your unique nature by retroactively including you in its history. There are other possibilities, but anything I say is pointless conjecture by this point.”

Better to stick to what he does know.

“If you are a moonchild, then you are supposed to be the living incarnation of a concept, a sort of higher being. Closer to an angel or a demon than a human. Unfortunately, I have yet to have a conversation with either, so I do not have the means to make any comparisons. I hope you will excuse me for saying that you do not really fit my idea of a 'higher being', although I could always be proven wrong.”

Lucille Faraday and Elise Marie Pelltier flash through his mind for a moment, but they are not really the kinds of beings he is talking about here.

“As a moonchild, you would be defined as female, being the ‘physical manifestation of Babalon’. However, the concept of gender likely would not apply to you in the straightforward, biological meaning.”

His eyes turn aside for a moment, but it’s all the same swelling and swirling colors everywhere.

“Your magical name is ‘Light-Year, All Iridescent, Astrarium’—a three-partite. Alexstrasza implied having a threefold magical name is very meaningful in the Turnside. I guess it is indicative of your superlative magical ability.”

What else?

“There seems to be discussion within the Turnside as to the meaning of your name, ‘Ultravania’. Vandemeel listed several possibilities: Ultrasilvania, Ultra Vanitas, Ultra Vantage, and Ultra Vanda. I could think of a few more, with enough time.”

Each of them suggests a different possibility as to the being in front of him may actually be.

“Assuming you are indeed a moonchild, then the logical assumption to follow is that you received the name ‘Ultravania’ from Crowley.” At this, he pauses. “Or maybe you happen to be Jack Parsons’ moonchild, in which case the name does seem a symbol of ultimate arrogance. I honestly do not know how to feel about that.”

John then decides he has gone over this person’s identity for long enough.

“I know that you killed Pyry, Elise Marie and Hisa Momoi on a Sunday that no longer happened. I believed the word Elise Marie used was…yes, ‘vaporized’. From their description of their deaths, it seems you wield magic connected to light and the nuclear force. I lack the means to make a more complete assessment.”

John clears his throat.

“That’s about it, I guess. I do not know if there were other iterations before the last one, although I strongly suspect that to be the case. For all I know, you have killed me a thousand times.” A half-hearted chuckle. “Not that it matters.”

A brief sigh.

“I might as well be saying things that do not make any sense to you. In that case, please deem it the ramblings of a lunatic.”

He brings his right hand to rub his temples with the yolks of his fingers.

“What follows is merely conjecture based on what I have heard and the few minutes we have spent here.”

He answered Ultravania’s request. Now he has to take the next step.

“A person as powerful as you must be in this town for a reason. I see several possibilities: either there is something you have yet to achieve in this town, or you already achieved your objective, yet found yourself unable to leave. Or perhaps something else caught your attention and keeps you here. Or perhaps it is a combination of things. The Ultravania Elise Marie and Momoi spoke about was either one who sought the perpetuation of the ‘prison’ holding us here…or one who had given up on that iteration and sought to wipe the chessboard and start again. I want to believe in the second, because the first possibility is a hassle I would rather not have to think about right now.”

He vaguely gestures to the mysterious space around them.

“If this is the product of your magic, then it is in some way an expression of yourself. I do not know whether this isolation you practice is a consequence of your power or the path you have chosen for yourself. I of all people will not judge those who detach themselves from the world.”

He is trying not to be a lying hypocrite for a change.

“However, this evening you have shown yourself before me, and for all you may like hearing other people talk about you, I find it hard to believe that is the reason you are here. And for all the talking I have done to this point, I am more the listening type.”

It is not to claim they have something in common. He is not particularly smart, so he has to be more attentive of what other people say to navigate the social situations of the colorless world.

“So, if I may ask: what is it that you seek, that it brings you to the likes of John Dove of all people?”

This is hard. Standing in this space, in the presence of this person, while keeping his wits about him is hard. His brain feels like it wants to just shut down his visual cortex for good. However, this is a challenge, and he is not allowed to back down.
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; April 1st, 2021 at 10:41 AM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

Didn’t Barney say that Indrid Cold was a man? Someone who was in town right now, asking questions about the Girl in Blue? Sounds to make little sense...if they were the ones to put an end to her ‘reign’, once and for all, then what exactly is it about?

And then Daniel Cooper...the guy who not even a decade later did that plane heist?

Ugh, why is this only getting more and more complicated?

On a different note...why does she constantly have to point out that she herself remained free from her influence? Even by her definition, this person shouldn’t have had any problems controlling her, and yet she claims that she is different...almost like a cheap attempt to avert suspicion from herself.

Even if the case is as wrapped up as it seems, the fact remains that some of those close to her are still here. Her, Josie, Halloway...perhaps this Jack Parsons too, whoever he is.

Really, I should just stop playing around, and get what I need out of her myself...

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

"Travis," I said with a serious look on my face, tapping my finger against my cheek. "Your life sounds... Extremely complicated."

I am not the type of person to lie. It doesn't seem like a good use of time, after all. Lying is a waste of words that can't be taken back. But that doesn't mean that all words are unnecessary, nor that some lies cannot be good. After all, is not my entire appearance here a lie?

"I, alas, do not have such an interesting story to share! I am me. I came here because I was told to. Although my cousin says it was to get rid of me, I do not believe it!"

I gave Travis a thumbs up and winked.

"After all, I am exceedingly difficult to get rid of! Even after I died, here I am, speaking with you Travis. People simply make things needlessly complex!"

I nodded, pleased with my own rhetoric.

"We will find your sister and save her from whatever nonsense she's mixed herself up in! Oh, and perhaps we will even save whoever she's dragged into her mess along with her! And whoever is adjacent to the situation! That way, everyone will be happy."

The issue with delusions is they just get stronger over time. If you let a delusion into your heart, it will grow in size and strength until it overtakes who you are.

I'm weak.

I'm strong.

I'm a human.

I'm a monster.

All these little phrases insert themselves deep into your psyche, burrowing closer and closer to the center of you aren't paying careful attention. Like a wound, it festers in your soul until it becomes your soul.

"There was a rather emotionless woman when Cesarina was taken away from m-I mean when she collapsed. Perhaps that could have been your mother, Travis? I don't know that many strange women, though..."
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Elise Pelltier

"Verily. To master oneself as a whole is to take in even the darker aspects of yourself that you may hide from normally, and make them serve you just the same. Not by succumbing to them, but by understanding what they are and seeing the limits and freedoms that they may bring with them. Of course, it is only natural for humans to shy away from the shadows within them, but... As long as we fear them, they threaten to consume us. As long as we deny them, they threaten to overcome us. As long as we hate them, they threaten to take control over us. It is only by truly mastering yourself and all of your potential that you may bring it all under your control, both the good and the bad."
    Tonkori barked in agreement with Subaru.

This feels like a bit of a stretch. I get where Subaru is coming from, but LBJ isn't one of her kamuy. It's something from Hell. Although I suppose she's someone who can perceive spirits, so I guess if they were significantly different, she'd be one to know.

Then again, Hell-spawned demon or not, LBJ does exist as a thought-construct in my head. Like it or not, it is a part of me. Still, if I can take in those darker aspects of myself, the parts of me it's presumably latched on to, that would leave it without any ground to stand on, right?

She looked down at Tonkori, who was looking up at her. Her eyes shining with wisdom.

Lucille said that you were some sort of divine beast, thought Elise to Tonkori, I don't know if that's the case now or if I'm just anthropomorphizing you at the moment, but either way, you strike me as a good judge of character, so if you believe in me, I'll give it a shot. Really, I've got nothing to lose by trying. Except myself, anyway, but that's always been on the table, hasn't it?

"So... what do you intend to do, Child of Man? You may accrue knowledge as much as you please, but we are all under the Sword of Damocles here. Our days are, literally, numbered. What is your plan regarding the darkness within you? I fear erelong you may not keep the guise of the girl fading to the background that you have been using as your shield so far."
    Et tu, Subaru? gasped Schoolgirl C at Subaru's sudden and unexpected betrayal.

Elise sighed as Subaru and Tonkori watched her expectantly.

"It's a shield that's served me well in the past. If I didn't know how to keep my head down, I might not have one anymore," said Elise, "You're right though, I don't think it'll serve me well over in the coming days. There was a few times last week where I held back because I was afraid to act, of people finding out what I was, and I'm not going to let that happen again this time."

"As for the darkness inside me… To master oneself as a whole… I'm-I'm not sure if that's something I can do, but I can at least try. It's not like hiding in a library trying to find a ritual or thaumaturgy to solve my problems got me anywhere. This at least sounds like something I can do given our current circumstances, although, I'm not really sure how I should, uhm, start and go about it? I don't think dedicating myself to a life of asceticism and seclusion is a viable option right now."

"As for what I intend to do… Well, no matter what, one way or another, I think I need to talk to It."

The demon. The Squatter That Lives in My Head. LBJ. Gaap. Elise.

She added the last name the demon had claimed for itself with a considerable amount of disdain.

"We're probably overdue for a chat anyway. About last night, and today's revelations. I guess that's as good a starting point as any?"

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

"What... what exactly happened? What did the town do? How did you get rid of Allene McLampet?"

The question Barney asked was clearly on Sakura's lips as well as she instantly perked up and focused her intense gaze towards the lobby. The silence that followed the question was heavier than ever before, and somewhere in the background, an old clock ticked away with a heavy, rusty noise. The rain continued to beat down on the windows, as if trying to get, and the shadows outside seemed harsh and uninviting. Clouds like grey gunships gathered overhead and for a moment, the world felt like it was sitting still, all waiting for the old woman to finally conclude her story. But, Beatrice took her time. She leaned back in her wheelchair, gazed at the miserable scenery beyond the glass, and let out a long, whimpering sigh... like the strength within her that she usually held so close to her heart had attempted to leave her.

"... Once the townspeople were freed, Allene McLampet had no allies left in this town. The children of Howard McLampet were too afraid of her, too cowardly to defend her, and when the rioting mob of locals appeared outside their gates and forced their way in... they fled. All of them. In a sense, it was wise. It allowed them to return afterwards and try to salvage their family's fortune - to no avail, of course. But this left Miss Allene all alone, cooped up in the big mansion, watching as the hateful crowd sieged it. The only person with her at that time was her personal maid... that is, of course, myself," Beatrice spoke in a quiet, defeated voice. "The townspeople demanded justice. For the deaths of the Klallam, for the people who had vanished and died under her commands, for the slavery she had put the town into... and they were ready to take that justice by force. It was only when Daniel Cooper and Indrid Cold spoke up that they calmed down... at least a little. They promised to wait... promised to hold their judgement as the two of them entered the mansion and dragged her out."

Something about the memory made the old woman shivered, and she hugged her own body to keep her strength. Still... judging by the sound of it, Hisa had actually deduced right considering the relationship between the supposed "Girl In Blue" and the townspeople. The way Beatrice had described the crowd... it certainly sounded like a lynching mob alright. A seething mass of hatred aimed at the source of injustice suffered.

"To this day... I'm not exactly sure what happened within the mansion that day. I think that Indrid and Allene had a... confrontation of some sort. A battle, if you will. Invisible forces raged within the corridors as the two women confronted each other, screaming with language neither I or Daniel understood. It was... it was the first time I had seen true emotion within Miss Allene's face. Desperation. Hatred. Fear. All... all sorts of terrible things," the old woman continued. "During this... battle... Miss Allene also, for the first time, went beyond that terrible power of hers. In addition, she brandished the blade that Howard and the others had made her, and stabbed Indrid Cold... straight into her left eye. From what I believe, she destroyed that eye completely... but that simply made that sharp grin even more terrifying. It was like Indrid did not even care."

Sakura, in the shadows, put her own hand gently atop her left eye - as if feeling the story and what had happened. Still, that mention, and the way Beatrice spoke about the grin... it certainly brought up some memories within Hisa. Memories of things she had heard from others within the past week, and what she had learned herself. A cavalcade of faces, all missing their left eye, flashed before her eyes.

It couldn't be just a coincidence... could it?

"As she and I retreated to the top floor, Miss Allene tried to use her power on me again... but I was able to sneak in one last act of defiance - perhaps because I resisted every step of the way during those years. Instead of being forced to attack the two, I threw myself out of the window. Of course... that act cost me my legs for the rest of my life, but it was worth it. For the first and last time, I was able to defy her," Beatrice spoke with quivering emotion in her voice. "Not long after, both Daniel and Indrid came out of the mansion, dragging the half-unconscious Miss Allene with them. The crowd that had been trying to help me until then was whipped up into a new rage upon seeing her - the object of their fear and hatred - and... well, you can imagine what happened next."

The implication was clear. There was no need to actually say anything more. And yet...

"--- From what I hear, they took her to the Ghostwood, hung her from a tree, and burned her alive while she was still struggling."

Beatrice finished up the thought without any mercy. As if she was punishing herself by forcing that disgusting truth out.

It would have been an understatement to call the silence that followed at the end of a story an uncomfortable one. At the same time, many implications and truths hit all the listeners, from Barney to the two girls that were hiding out in the corridor. The reason why any mention of the Girl In Blue were scrubbed from the town's history, the reason why she had become such a taboo that even mentioning her would earn the ire of the local populace, the reason why the newer generations would know nothing about her, and the reason why the history of the McLampets' was such a delicate subject. On one hand, it was a tale of subjugation, slavery and fear, made through powers unknown to the locals who could not hope to understand them... but at the same time, it was a tale of a whole town coming together to lynch a single individual, taking justice into their own hands.

Perhaps they had no choice, but at the same time... there was an undercurrent of guilt in Beatrice's voice.

"... Perhaps our conscience weighed us on ever afterwards, or perhaps we understood just what sort of unforgivable thing we had done for the sake of our own freedom... but after that day, things at Road's End changed. It was like a long, dark shadow was cast over the town. The once-booming town started dying, and people either disappeared or left, never to be heard from again. Of course, it was just natural. As many claim, the magical touch of the McLampets' came from Allene herself, and with her gone, the town was done for," Beatrice concluded with a dark tone. "But if you ask me... I believe it's more than that. I believe this is Miss Allene's revenge. Her insidious poison, her rage, her hatred at what was done to her that seeped into the ground and poisoned this whole town. It's like her vengeful spirit still lingers here, intending on crushing every last bit of hope that can be found here."

A sharp clink of a tea cup being set unto a saucer ended the conversation.

"--- And that is what I know of the girl in that picture. Of the Girl In Blue... or Miss Allene McLampet," Beatrice added. "... I know not where she came from, if she was the incarnation of the devil in the lighthouse, or what was that strange power of hers, but I know this... while we did what we had to do, it also meant the end of our town in the long run."

Sakura, who had been intently listening to the very end, suddenly looked rather deep in thought. She silently rubbed her chin, eyes staring at nothing whatsoever ahead of her while the gears in her mind turned. And then, she turned back towards Hisa. At first, her expression seemed to ask what they should do now, and if there was something more the other girl wanted to do here...

... But through her mind, Hisa could hear Sakura's actual question.

[Her vengeful spirit...] The brunette muttered quietly. [... Maybe... the lighthouse?]

Elaine Winters

"E-Elaine..."

Kean's responde to the good-natured greeting was... weak. It almost sounded frail. The boy's tired, almost paranoid face was far cry from how he had appeared yesterday, and right now, he was clearly shaking - and not just from the cold. Something had happened to him, considering that up this close, the blonde girl could smell the fearful sweat on him, along with the smell of something sharp and almost unpleasant... akin to gasoline? Oil? Kerosene? Something to that effect.

Like something had been burning not too long ago.

"My my, let's have a stop right there~" The unknown young man spoke out, stepping in front of Elaine without touching her - just blocking her path to Kean. "Unfortunately you're trespassing on private property just by standing there, and especially from here on out it's a members' only club. So as it stands, I can't allow you any further than this."

That red-and-blue combinationf of eyes narrowed at the girl, and the man pulled his captain's hat a bit lower on his face. Afterwards, he fixed his gloves like a boxer, adjusting them so that they were fitting properly by pulling down on them.

"... Especially when it was the request that I should stop especially a certain beautiful young flaxen-haired maiden should she attempt to gain access," the sailor added, sounding a bit more serious than his earlier cheeky tone. "So, I'm sure you understand my position here..."

A hint of a threat, not much, was left in the air... though that was not what caught Elaine's attention the most. What she realized, being this close to the unknown young man was that... he had no shadow. No, looking at him closely, his form was ever-so-faintly transparent, and most damning of all, he had no smell. No smell whatsoever. While the girl could feel a faint physical presence blocking her path, this man... it was like he was not all there. Literally.

Kean, watching with tired eye from the other side of the room, hung his head and hissed slightly in pain.

"Yeah... y-yeah... you need to go, E. The longer you stay, the greater the... c-chances he notices. And then he'll take it out on me... through you. Just... please... just this once..." Kean spoke, his voice hoarse and raspy, like he had not slept a wink. "Go. Get outta here. I'll... if we make through this, I'll... explain. But I... I can't... speak too much or he'll... he'll notice. Just... just go and... get back to school, fast..."

Desperation clear in that one working eye, Kean leveled a stare at his friend.

"--- You might still make it. Please... Mercedes... and Lucille... they're both in... danger...!"

Alexstrasza Lockhart

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "There was a rather emotionless woman when Cesarina was taken away from m-I mean when she collapsed. Perhaps that could have been your mother, Travis? I don't know that many strange women, though..."
    Travis snorted in an amused way.

"What, isn't there one in the mirror every morning, staring right back at you?" he asked with a hint of teasing in his voice. "Though, if I'm honest, our whole class is packed full of weird girls. Elaine and Anna especially... hah. You should talk with them. They're surprisingly similiar to you, in surprising ways. Maybe they're all about that same brand of craziness that you subscribe to."

However, then his eyes turned towards the blonde girl, and a hint of curiosity shined within them. The boy leaned a little bit closer, lowering his tone of voice like he didn't want too many people to hear... though, it's not like there were any other people out there. Just Stephanie, and she was far too busy staring at the wares of End's Store & Post she could see through the window.

"Still... strange, emotionless woman, huh? What was she like? What did she look like?" Travis started with the questions. "No, in the first place, she was there when Cesarina collapsed? As in... just at the school for some reason? Did you catch the reason why she would have been there? Or rather, in the first place..."

Travis frowned a little.

"... Did she have some connection to Cesarina?"