Page 207 of 244 FirstFirst ... 107157197202205206207208209212217 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,140 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 10.09.1994 (SAT)
    Weather: Overcast

I smiled kindly at Potemkin, nodding in approval. It was to be expected; there was little to no way for Potemkin to "outclass an enemy", or even to fight back. The most she could do is run away, scurrying like an insufferable cockroach that leeches at my soul. A deviant in all meaning of the word, Potemkin is scarcely worth the mana she took to forge her very existence.

"Very well, Cesarina," I said in response, staring with piercing eyes at a photograph of the Executioner and Miss Pelltier. Curiouser and curiouser, young and yet old is it? A memory that does not exist, is it? Which is real, and which is fake then? Is the Elise in this photo the untruth, or is it the one I have spoken with? "I suppose you are right. I cannot hide away in your room, not while there is so much danger drifting around us at every moment."

A photo of something that I have no way of proving happened.

"It's simply a photo the Executioner carries around," I replied to Cesarina's question, flipping it around to show to her. "A photo of himself and a girl who bears a more then faint resemblance to one of our classmates. It is but another mystery, piling up on the endless tower of mysteries that surround Road's End. I do not think it is possible to solve them all, or even to solve most - so I must focus on one or two."

The man without a face.

Gaap of Ars Goetia.

What to focus on? I woke up this time, but will I wake up the next? If it is likely, then there is only one thing to do. In mine own eyes I have not 'seen' Gaap of Ars Goetia do anything that I can declare to be irredeemable. Without knowledge of his movements, it is as if the demon is simply a thing of non-existence. Of the mysteries that I can follow, there are far too many to pick a single one. All these threads are... jumbled up, like a great cadre of rope that someone left unused in a toolshed.

"It is likely to be an ill choice," I said slowly, tapping the side of my face with a finger as I thought. "But I am inclined to focus on the man without a face. He is, after all, a devil that should not be allowed to roam free. While I cannot say where he is like to be, nor what he is like to do, and I have little in way of leads or possibilities, I can only do what I am capable of."

If I find him, I'll kill him. It's a fairly simple process to follow.

If I cannot find him...

Well.

I suppose I'll have to settle for killing someone else, then.
    Last edited by Frantic Author; October 15th, 2021 at 02:52 PM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

"Don't worry. It might have been a surprise, but...I can't exactly care," I said as a faint, but genuine smile spread on my face, "My family died, and far as I was aware, I had no blood relatives left. In my mind, that's not going to change now, not after I was left on my own for so many years. At this point, they're just like any other stranger."

Grabbing my own cup, I lifted it to my mouth to take a long sip of the steaming hot tea.

I wasn't sure what the natural reaction would have been, or what I was supposed to feel. Maybe I should have been happy that I found one of my kind after so long. Or worried and sad that it seemed that they were siding with a group that apparently meant harm. Maybe curious, that someone might be able to tell me where I belong? Instead, there was just emptiness. I was more concerned about the badge saying Montauk than the actual name on it. But...I feel like it was better that way, anyways. There were enough things to worry about, than to add this to the mix as well.

"I'm more interested in the woman, anyways. Somehow she felt...familiar. And in my case, someone who can create a massive ring of fire the size of a football field might not be remembered for the nicest things."

It was unlikely that I needed to elaborate more on the reason, considering how the evidence was practically written all over my face, and the side of my body.

"Anyways, I'm not sure if it's worth wasting too much time on the matter. I hardly have any leads and it's almost certain that they'll show up again soon enough anyways. Might as well just focus on the important things...Speaking of which, what's your plan now that the ghost issue is supposedly solved?"

After taking another sip of my drink, I put the cup back on the table and walked over to the cabinet that Sakura gestured towards. It's not like I was particularly into sweets - but I certainly wasn't going to refuse the offer, not after she decided to share something that she kept in secret like that. It was much, much better than things like umeboshi at least, which just ended up reminding me of other extremities like fermented fish or wasabi.

Looking through the cabinet, the jar was certainly quite well hidden, with a whole bunch of random things that likely no one here would ever touch blocking it from view. Still, not long after I stepped back to the table with the thick, almost heavy glass jar in my hands, and put it down in the middle where the both of us could reach it. Then, deciding to take the initiative, I removed the lid and took one of the small candied fruits out of the jar, placing it into my mouth with the same motion. The sweet sensation of the thick sugary coating along with the fruit's naturally sweet taste, with just the slightest hint of sourness spreading along my taste buds as the candy practically melted in my mouth was quite delightful. It barely even needed chewing, and as I finally swallowed, the full brunt of the sugary sensation hit my brain, making my whole body shiver for the moment as I closed my eyes.

It was hard to resist, even if I didn't really like sweets.

"I guess that's...certainly pretty good."

Letting out an embarrassed little cough, I raised my cup to my mouth again to wash down the lingering taste of the candied kumquats with some tea.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Prushka?

Ahti paused for a moment.

"... Yeah. I wouldn't mind getting something else done before... y'know. Something useful maybe. Don't you have any more mysteries or strange questions to poke at before evening? Figured we'd might as well get that done," the boy then said as he sat down, running his fingers through his now fluffed up hair. "So yeah. Eat some grub, try to solve some of these blasted riddles this town has, and then, once we're all ready..."

--- Finally have the two of them meet.

It seemed that Ahti had, more or less, accepted that it would happen tonight. The meeting between the two brothers who didn't know each other, yet did. Two children of the same inhumane program, two siblings who shared the same origin yet with wildly different fates. As the white-maned young man stared out of the window into the overcast world outside, the look in his eye was... far-away. It was hard to say exactly what he was thinking, but at the very least, he didn't seem to dread it. Only... quietly acknowledge it as something inevitable.

But whether that was a good or a bad thing... that remained to be seen.

"--- You know, once things go down, I'm not exactly sure how I'll behave. It's been the one thing in my mind ever since I got out. How I'd get some answers out of him. How I'd make him pay. How I'd get revenge for the others that came after. But... yeah, even I know that most of that is just spurned on by my mental programming. They made me into a brother who'd wrangle up those who stepped out of line or escaped. Just like they made him into someone who'd protect anyone else, no matter who they were, no matter the personal cost. They're rules that bind us so tightly we can't hope to escape them alone," Ahti started, sipping on his sugarless coffee. "So no matter what our personal feelings are, right now, that mental programming will turn things bad... I just know it. I'll probably go at him the moment I see him, and sensing collateral damage, he'll try to take me out just the same. We won't be able to help it."

In annoyance, he clicked his tongue. To Ahti, that fact, the fact that they weren't in control of themselves, was clearly something that annoyed him greatly.

"Not that... not that I'd let him go even if I hadn't that mental programming. He's the one that got away, after all. The one of us who made it out, yet he never came to help us - even if he knew what we were going through. So... I want to smack him in the face at least once. So he'll know. And... I want to know why. Why, if he was so gung-ho about protecting people, he never protected us. And, and..." Ahti groaned in frustration and slammed his fist on the table. "... Most importantly, I want to know who the hell he is. And with people like us, I know words ain't gonna be enough. Some things... just gotta go down like this. And I'm pretty sure he knows it too. So, it's... it's inevitable."

Taking a long, hard swig and down the rest of his coffee in one go, the young man slammed his cup at the table as well, wiping his mouth with his hand and letting out another annoyed sigh. Finally, that ice-blue eye turned away from the window, and instead watched Prushka as she prepared the TV dinner.

"... But I also know that we've got problems way bigger than this. So, uh... I know you're gonna be there. And I'm pretty sure that girl with the scars is gonna be there too. I feel like she's to him what you're to me. So, I mean, like... once things go down. Once we're at each others throats. I..." Ahti searched for the right words for a moment. "... If it's possible, I want you two to try to free us. Take away this brainwashing that's been governing our lives. Because once we're solely focused on our battle, I'm pretty sure those parts of us are more exposed, and unguarded. Ripe for the pickings. So, if you guys can remove those while we get to take a few swings at each other, maybe... maybe that's gonna be all it needs to be. Just that. And afterwards, he and I can... I dunno, try that talking thing?"

Even Ahti seemed to realize he was rambling, and scratched his head in annoyance.

"I dunno. I'm sorta making this up as we go."

At least even he seemed to recognize that.

Having said that, Ahti sighed again - this time a more downcast sound - and leaned against the table with his elbows.

"Oh, and if... if I'm not gonna end up making it, mind doing one thing for me? Well, two things, actually," the boy added. "Tell him he can just blame me for all this shit. I'm the one that made things complicated with my existence, after all. And as for the girl with scars... tell, uh, tell her I'm sorry for the other day. When she started talking like she could see me despite not being the room, that totally freaked me out, and things ended up getting pretty heated. Furious even."

Ahti snorted in self-derision.

"... Truth is, I was just scared of her. That's all."

Hisa Momoi

Sakura chuckled as she picked up and popped one candied fruit into her mouth as well.

"I know, right~? Sometimes we all need a little bit of sweetness to keep us going. Can't be chewing and chewing on stringy, tough jerky all day every day," the older girl replied. "And I think that applies both to life and food, in fact. So, these are my little secret that I keep for the rainy day, or when I need a little pick me up. If you want, once we've got the time, I can show you how to make these. It's not too hard!"

With the atmosphere having lifted a little, and with Sakura apparently satisfied with Hisa's outlook regarding the identity of one of the supposed Thule Members, the older girl could lean back in her chair once more and relax a little. From the looks of it, the brunette had been afraid that her friend had been shaken to the core by this revelation, but seeing her take it in stride and not let it get to her had eased Sakura's own worries as well. Indeed, some things in this life you couldn't do anything about - not until things progressed further.

They would just have to wait and see if these people made another move, and go from there.

"As for what my plans for today are, well..." Sakura pondered for a moment. "Milady and Elise are most likely spending the morning talking with Samuel right now, trying to see if he knows something useful. I saw them leave the dorms just before I got here, so it's likely they are headed to town - A.D.'s most likely. Knowing what I know of Samuel, I figure they're in good hands, and I'm pretty sure milady appreciates not having me hover around her right now, no matter how worried I am. Yesterday was not kind to her, many things happened, and I think she's going to have to re-evaluate her view on life a little bit... especially her own."

Sakura took another kumquat and chewed on it, a slightly distant look in her eyes for a moment.

"--- Sooner or later she has to come to terms with the fact that she can't blame herself for everything. The world isn't such a kind place."

Perhaps it was the candy, perhaps the older girl just cheered herself up mentally, but after pouring herself another cup of tea, Sakura adopted a slightly mischievous smile and nodded.

"Anyways! Since that free's up my morning, I figured I'd make some time for myself. Maybe check on how Subaru and Mercedes are doing after last night, maybe do some laundry, maybe catch up on my soap operas or read a book... you know, just kick back - even if for a little bit," the girl said. "Lord knows that once it starts getting dark, things will probably get hectic again, so I better relax now that I can. And if something comes up, well..."

She winked at Hisa.

"... I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it, yeah?"

Anna Vandemeel

"Mm, more or less. Less than I would have liked, though."

To Anna's surprise (or perhaps not), as she entered the common room, she saw that the form of Ramia Ramalsaqr was not the only one present. Indeed, while the husky-voiced mercenary had taken over one of the armchairs, the couch itself now served as the divan of a certain Chinese prophet who was dressed even more slovenly than usual - just sweatpants and a top, her thick-rimmed glasses sitting crooked on her face. Indeed, Zhou Coastrise was also present, and she gave a lazy wave to Anna as she entered, almost like she had expected to see her.

... And maybe she had.

It was hard to say with these Coastrise siblings.

"Take a seat and relax a bit, you look like crap," Ramia continued, flashing a smirk at Anna. "You're just in time. It's a re-run of the season two premiere, where Lord Zed arrives and the Rangers get their Dinozords finally upgraded to Thunderzords. The action's getting out of hand, I tell you. Out of hand."

Indeed, as Ramia gestured towards the TV, it seemed to be showing some sort of spandex-clad... people in primary colours, fighting off monsters that looked awfully lot like something a second-rate mage would have used as their familiar. Just one look at the sheer insanity on the screen could make one easily wonder if this was some hidden Turnside propaganda program to ease newcomers into the reverse side of the world, but at the same time... maybe not. Who even knew with TV these days?

Still, aside from the chaos in the TV, the morning seemed to be passing rather peacefully in the common room. Ramia was in the middle of maintaining her combat boots, going so far as to have spread newspapers on the floor so she could use proper shoe polish. Meanwhile Zhou was in the middle of proper lazing about, quietly sucking on a juice box as she watched the program. Today's flavour of choice seemed to be... Chicken and Garlic?

... Wait, was that actually her breakfast?

"Heyyy, Anna~" Zhou languidly greeted the raven-haired girl without taking her eyes off the TV. "Last night sure was a doozy, huh~? Did a little digging of my own and oh boy were there lot of stuff to address~"

She chuckled slowly.

"I don't think I've ever talked to so many people I don't know in a span of few hours~" The bespectacled girl continued. "Luckily it looks like everything went alright and those people are safe~! At least for now~"

Despite her lazy way of talking as usual, it seemed that Zhou had been up to something important last night.

"Oh, speaking of which~"

The eyes of the oracle turned towards Anna.

"You're gonna be having a guest soon~! Just the type that's more content on watching where you can't see, instead of being brave and coming to talk~"

... Well that sounded ominous.

Elise Pelltier & Lucille Faraday

In the end, it looked like Elise, Lucille and Samuel avoided causing a massive scene when they entered Avery's Diner.

The walk to town had been without any significant events, aside from Samuel and Elise introducing Lucille to the surprisingly deep and complex world of scrounging for spare change and just how careless people tended to be with the money they considered "wortheless" - and how quickly that could add up for someone who had keen eye for coins. In fact, if the town was big enough, one could almost make a decent living with something like that... as long as one dedicated most of their day for it.

Which, as it turned out, Samuel had done. Then again, there was not much else he could do while in the body of U-Salem.

Still, as the trio entered the diner, to their good fortune the owner did not raise an immediate ruckus. Instead, she had greeted them heartily and told them to take a seat anywhere they liked. Indeed, the place was empty aside from one other customer - the local deputy who looked to be shifting through her mashed potatoes with a frown. And while Avery did give a long look to Samuel, furrowing her brow as if trying to make some sort of mental connection, eventually she relented and just shook her head. Instead, she took their orders, clearly pushing that bothersome thought from her mind.

As it turned out, Samuel's idea of a breakfast was a mountain of pancakes adorned with maple syrup.

Not exactly the healthiest option, but it was hard to say no to him, considering how he had spend the last seven years.

"... Hah. Sort of funny," Samuel commented as the trio sat down to the furthest table from the counter. "The more things have changed, the more they have stayed the same, I suppose. Even Avery's looking like a spitting image of her mother these days. Not that that's a bad thing. Still. It's nice to be back here."

The fluffy-haired boy sipped on his coffee and kept shooting longing looks towards the door of the kitchen, where Avery herself had disappeared. While she had looked somewhat out of it, as if something else was worrying her today (and maybe that was the reason why she didn't connect the dots with Samuel), at least she was still doing her job admirably. Soon enough delicious smells were wafting from that direction as well, watering the mouths of those present.

"Or maybe it's something in the town. Tommy's also growing up to be his father. But that was just a self-fulfilling prophecy, what with that name."

Samuel chuckled slightly.

"So? What did the two of you order?"
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; October 17th, 2021 at 10:23 AM.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

The light trickles down through the curtains as morning comes. A warm caress brushes against your closed eyelids, and the rising sun beckons you to the waking world. You answer the call, opening your eyes to see the new day. The ceiling of the room welcomes you, adorned by flowery patterns of marigolds, roses and sunflowers.

You stand up on your feet, stretching and excising all of the stiffness your muscles built up during the long night. For an evening spent sleeping on a couch, there was little, if no after effects at all. One could attribute this pleasant rest to the softness of the fabric and the quality of the furniture.

You go to the bathroom and face your reflection in the mirror. How do you look like on this day? It would seem that the sleep and rain from yesterday night had given you a rather disheveled look, but it was nothing too hard to fix with a comb and some careful application of water. There are some more routine things to do of course, other than getting rid of bed hair. While your belongings were at the school, this hotel had provided an extra set or so of toothbrushes. Dental hygiene is important, isn't it? Mother and Father always said to brush your teeth well, so that you could keep a beautiful smile... indeed... oh, and remember to wash behind your ears properly as well! A clean and prim daughter, was that not the most beautiful thing to behold and be proud of as parents?

Recollection. Reminiscence. But no reconciliation yet.

A fleeting thought, of something that once was... that could be... but can you make it transcend from possibility to reality?

Yesterday, in the fire of discord and enmity, a fire was lit that you thought had forever been extinguished. From a pyre burning with anger and despair fell the ashes of hope and possibility. Perhaps in a not so distant future, these ashes will be rekindled to brighten the formless darkness in which you live, like a phoenix rising from its embered remains to illuminate the nightly sky.

Why are you here, Vivienne Bianchi? What series of events lead to this path which you now trod? What form of brush and paint is being used to draw on the canvas of your story? The answer to that question is ever-shifting, is it not? But have you ever truly answered that question, thinking about it?

Perhaps you have, but wherever you were correct, or right, is another matter entirely.

Yet, are you not forgetting something?

Mayhaps you conveniently forgot about it.

Though I am in his presence no more, his whispers linger on into my ears.

They fill my every being. They take me back to that moment.

I am still there, in the basement, my body strewn on the floor. My sinews are torn, my bones snapped. Out of my broken body, flows blood, dousing the stone floor in red.

His voice silently booms, incomprehensible, unfathomable. It enlightens me to many Truths, Truths that I wish I could forget.

But it is too late, now this knowledge is mine to bear… as are its implications.

Still, what use would a dying soul be for Him? His gifts are not for me to keep, for me to bring along to a lonely grave. No, few are as fortunate as I am, to remain cognizant in the face of Truth. He recognizes this, and that is why he mends my broken body.

Words that cannot be spoken wash over me. They belong to a language neither uttered nor thought, but rather willed into existence by methods exceeding both human and inhuman comprehension… and in the end… I am reborn.

Broken.

Incomplete.

Such is the price to pay, to speak to Him. The Man Behind the Fire.

Vivienne Bianchi

Vivienne quietly covered Alex with the blanket, the latter having been discarded by the reporter as she had flailed around in her sleep. Was she having bad dreams, or was she one of these 'agitated' sleepers? Well, one thing was certain, she could certainly sleep through an alarm.

Having made sure that Alex was properly covered so that she wouldn't randomly catch a cold, Vivienne went to open the windows to let some fresh air in. Indeed, this was not the most... well maintained rooms. A bit of a reminder to Vivienne of what she had stumbled on the 'previous' week alongside with Prushka.

Vivienne had considered searching through the books, notes and pieces of paper strewn about the entire room, searching for information that might be different from 'last time', however she figured that it would not be very nice towards Alex, especially if the latter simply woke up and saw her searching through the reporter's belongings.

However, she could do something that could land her some clues 'accidentally', such as cleaning this mess up yes. Stacking papers properly, putting books together on a shelf or table, and just... cleaning up the thrash that was lying around on the floor. In a sense, she could simply be doing the hotel's staff job... and while there was no guaranteed reward, the possibility of stumbling onto something was a much better prospect than just doing... nothing at all.

So for now, her plan had been laid out: make sure that the room isn't a mess and that one does not have to pay attention to every single step they take, lest they trample upon some evidence or trip over some book... then go get some coffee from the kitchen for Alex should she wake up. Oh, and a croissant perhaps? If they had these around here. Perhaps waking Alex up to the nice smell of coffee and patisserie would be much better than just... well... rudely waking her up.

What a beautiful, logical plan, isn't it Vivienne?

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka?

I work while Ahti speaks, opening up the packaging, getting the pans ready, firing up the oven again, gathering up what spices remain in this old place, just like he did yesterday. As the meat and vegetables sizzle, he talks, slowly, hesitantly, doubt dripping from every word. He is unsure of what will happen. The moment Ahti has been waiting for, hyping himself up for, for god knows how long, is right around the corner. And he's getting antsy. Who wouldn't?

Rurning away from the stove, I reach up to his head. Pat, pat. If you go by touch, and ignore the temperamental man underneath that head of hair... it feels just like petting a cat.

You've come a long way in just a few days.

"Okay, I'll be there. You can sort out your feelings without worrying about anything else." I was going to bring up the topic of his mental state, but he beat me to it. For as dumb as you might call yourself, aren't you actually a thoughtful guy who thinks things through, Ahti? "Especially not some stupid programming. It'll get washed away by the truth in an instant."

The meal crackles in the background. We're giving this cheap TV dinner way more attention than it deserves. But that's fine. I turn my back to make sure nothing burns. While I'm turned away, and neither I nor Ahti can see each other's faces...

"He's a lot like you, y'know. You're both the kind of idiots who sometimes think too much and sometimes don't think at all. So if you have to beat each other up a little to get a conversation going, I'll make sure no one gets hurt too bad for it. Guess that's a guy thing. Or a brother thing."

There is a hiss as pockets of air escape, and water melts and evaporates, and meat sears in oil. A thick, rich smell begins to fill the air, pushing away the humidity from last night's rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahti
    "Oh, and if... if I'm not gonna end up making it, mind doing one thing for me? Well, two things, actually," the boy added. "Tell him he can just blame me for all this shit. I'm the one that made things complicated with my existence, after all. And as for the girl with scars... tell, uh, tell her I'm sorry for the other day. When she started talking in my head, that totally freaked me out, and things ended up getting pretty heated. Furious even. ... Truth is, I was just scared of her. That's all."
    "...you're also both the kind of idiot who thinks it's okay to take the blame for something you don't understand."

A memory flashes through my mind. Of an apology that did nothing but infuriate me. A plate clatters onto the table, followed by another. Then the meal, freshly finished and still steaming, is divided up between us. I affix Ahti with a stern stare while he mopes.

"Tell her that yourself. No one's going to die. Especially not you. I'll guarantee it with my life. So let Pyry feel bad; that's what he deserves and it's probably what he wants. He's an idiot and he knows it. And don't you dare apologize to Hisa before she apologizes to you for snooping around and saying awful things; if you give her an inch she'll take a mile."

Seriously, of all the times to start putting things right...

"Do you think Kullervo should've apologized to Untamo for being born? Would that have been any more right than enacting vengeance? There's a difference between being the bigger man and recognizing your faults, and being a martyr who doesn't let others recognize theirs. So hold onto that backbone of yours, Ahti. Because if you die you're leaving a mess behind. That's why you have to live to clean it up. I won't do it for you... but I will help you."

I reach out and tap his chest, where his heart should be.

"The difference between vengeance and justice isn't so big, y'know. If you set it straight, that numen you've got might even go from cursed to righteous. Ask Mr. Kullervo; I'm sure he'd agree."

I hand Ahti a fork and a knife. We need to dig in before the day leaves us behind.

"...as for what I wanted to do... there's too much, frankly. Need to make sure all the others are doing alright. Hwan, Alpa, maybe even Xylia. Give an update to Vivi and Lia... ask Samuel about Snow, or Nevada... it's late enough that some or all of them might be gone out already. And if there's someone after me, it might not be safe to go back to the school, especially if it puts you in danger. The last thing we need is trouble before the big moment. Or maybe trouble's exactly what we need..."

Ugh, this is a pain. Now I remember why I was blocking all this stuff out!

"Hisa and Pyry said they'd be doing something this morning, so they probably won't be at the school... alright then, let's turn the place upside down. See if Jake and Hwan are around. Check up on Alpa. Make you some new friends. Try to get into the sewers. The whole shebang. And make some noise while we're at it."

I grin, popping peas one by one into my mouth.

"Maybe that'll lure Mr. Left Hand out of hiding. Any objections, Scrooge?"

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Lowgate
    "... Hah. Sort of funny, the more things have changed, the more they have stayed the same, I suppose. Even Avery's looking like a spitting image of her mother these days. Not that that's a bad thing. Still. It's nice to be back here."

"Or maybe it's something in the town. Tommy's also growing up to be his father. But that was just a self-fulfilling prophecy, what with that name."
    Elise made a mental note about to ask about Tommy's dad, presumably Tommy Horse Senior, and learn about his son's destiny.

"I found an old copy of the Road's End Gazette and there was a picture of young Mrs. Walker, well, Avery Thompson then, when she won a horse racing competition in Seatle. In her photograph she's almost the spitting image of her daughter, Cathie. Other than the differences in hair colour and hair style, the resemblance is uncanny."

Elise spared a thought for the old newspaper she'd read the previous week.

I wonder what happened to that newspaper? I didn't go to the kitchen this Friday morning like I did last week. Did someone else read it? Was in unceremoniously dumped into a garbage can?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Lowgate
    "So? What did the two of you order?"
    Elise grinned excitedly and replied, "Bacon, eggs over easy, with hash browns and toast, and tea."

A proper breakfast at breakfast time. Or any time really.

"So, speaking of the seemingly cyclical nature of time," began Elise, sparing a nervous glance around the diner before continuing in a hushed tone hoping that they wouldn't be overheard by the diner's other patron, "So, uh, we should probably bring you up to speed on our, uh, whole weird little situation. There wasn't a lot of time last night given the previous emergency, but some of us at Pinefall seem to be trapped in some sort of time loop? At the very least, we all went through this week once before and are no reliving it. There was, or will be, a big storm tonight, and then disaster struck Pinefall on Sunday, tomorrow right now. Everything ended in tragedy, all of us dead anyway, and, uh, then we all woke up on Wednesday like nothing happened, but remembering all the events of a, now alternate, week ahead that ended in our doom. Lucille, myself, Hisa, Prushka, and seven others remember. Don't know why its just us who remember, and not the rest of the class. Or, you know, if this is a one-off thing, or if it'll keep on happening. Has anything like that happened in Road's End before?"

"We, uh, didn't get the chance to meet last week. Either as yourself, or as U-Salem," admitted Elise sadly, "Sorry about that, I only learned about you, actually a bit later today at breakfast. I was talking to Tommy, here actually, on Friday night, and I'd asked him about the last class. He listed Jake, Rachel, and himself, and then stopped himself abruptly when he was about to name anyone else and tried to pretend that no one else existed. I didn't want to pry, so I asked Jake the next morning instead, and he'd mentioned that you were at End's Mercy Hospital."

I'm not sure what happened to U-Salem last week, but it's possible that he may have been eaten by Vivienne, but I don't think Samuel needs to know about that. He's not inhabiting a marshmallow body anymore, so he should be safe.

"And speaking of prophecies... I understand that your family has one?" asked Elise, as her fingers tapped the edge of the table in nervous excitement and anticipation, "I've heard some second hand accounts of it, that a Named Demon is supposed to manifest in Road's End near the year 2000, and that the demon is supposed to be Gaap, but, uh, I'd be really interested in learning the actual specifics of it?"

For personal reasons.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

“Eggs over easy, bacon, sausage, a pancake, orange juice,” Lucille lists, as she tries to look enthusiastic. It’s terrible of her to arrive at a diner only to realize her nerves are so frayed she has no desire to eat, but these things happen and she has plenty of experience in forcing herself to eat anyway. Maybe the taste will give her an appetite.

Elise decides to explain their circumstances to Samuel, and Lucille herself feels the explanation is rather satisfactory. She isn’t sure if she could put what has happened into words. Heaven knew that Sakura could barely make sense of her rambling.

“I didn’t know Michael was… like that until he motivated Subaru to kill me the last time around,” she eventually adds. Her death feels so far away, yet so uncomfortably close. “And even then, I didn't think… he was actually here, until it was too late.”

Until people got hurt. Ironic, how the nature of doing good is so reactionary. She can only wait for things to be ruined to pick up the pieces.

“I was going to ask if you knew more about Gradient… sorry, the girl who can write in Enochian. I don’t know what you called her back then.”

Hisa Momoi

"It's quite complicated, isn't it?" I said after swallowing the second sugar soaked fruit, "Blaming yourself helps you give yourself a drive, a motivation to better yourself. Until you blame yourself for so much that it just ends up making you desperate and break you...which makes the effort worthless. But then, if you don't find a reason to improve and just always push the responsibility and blame on others, then your life is in a standstill just the same. Of course, blaming yourself for the wrong things won't help you either, so...guess where the balance is is a question of a lifetime."

It was weird to always hear so much about Lucille considering the fact that we have talked once, or maybwe twice, and even only then just briefly. Not that it didn't seem to be sort of a common theme here, finding out more about people only through others, rather than through interacting with the people themselves.

As Sakura continued talking, I could only nod with a small smile on my face.

It was good to hear that she'd finally have some time for herself, to relax and catch up on the small things in life. Even if today wasn't necessarily the best day for that. But then, I already understood that people had strikingly different ways of handling situations like this. If she could enjoy spending her day like that before the horrible Sunday that was upon us - then I could only be jealous. Even if I promised that I would let loose a bit, there was no way that I would be able to just idly sit around.

However, there was also another important detail Sakura mentioned that almost slipped past my attention. Namely, that they just apparently left Mercedes alone here, even if she was in the - very much false - safety of her room. That, and the revelations her name reminded me of from yesterday.

Standing up from the table abruptly, I grabbed another one of the fruits and shoved it into my mouth.

"That reminds me, I actually meant to talk with Mercedes. I'll see if she wants to join us here, though if the others show up before us, would you be so kind and take care of them for a moment?"

How many needed to be deceived, kidnapped and murdered before people started being more careful, especially this close to Sunday? If everyone only stuck with the people they were close to, it would be much easier to avoid such incidents. Especially when it came to those who weren't even necessarily capable of protecting themselves on their own...

Though was that really the case with Mercedes a well? Just how much was she hiding, or was oblivious to?

"Shouldn't take too long, so we'll likely meet still. But, thanks for the treats. They really were quite delicious."

Throwing my backpack over my shoulder, my smile widened for a moment before I turned my back to the table, and started walking towards the door with hasty steps. Which was Mercedes' room again...?

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff
    Date: 10.09.1994

Scanning my immediate area, the Spade Queen Country Club looked like my memories from last night. It took a more careful analysis for people to realize that the uprooted rose bushes weren’t the result of last night’s heavy storm and were instead the result of Jayesh Omkaras and Liana Skye’s physical confrontation. The muddy footsteps leading away from the Spade Queen Country Club not stopping at the parking area and instead continuing further down the road. The peculiar lack of cars.. For an establishment whose peak hours were expected during after work and weekends, there was the conspicuous lack of cars. No workers were coming to the Spade Queen Country Club nor were there any customers making their way to the Spade Queen Country Club. Suspicious. Worrying.

The first person I saw out in the area was Scottie, the FBI agent. He was also doing his own investigation of the area as well. He was speaking to some kind of dictation machine. Considering the events of last night, the dictation machine would be useful. Even if memories are altered as long as you have something like that, you can still have a fairly trustworthy source of information on you. I decided to leave him alone. While I could assist him with his work, I didn’t want to speak with others even strangers at this time.

The second person I saw was... Fyrtio. She was outside of a garden shack blaring music. I could only assume that she and Zane Mitchell were trying to fix the phone lines for the Spade Queens Country Club. Judging from her stance, Fyrtio was casually guarding Zane Mitchell while he was working or defending her own section of the Spade Queen Country Club. When I noticed her noticing me, we didn’t say anything to each other. All we did was stare at each other like strangers. And that’s exactly what we were. Strangers.

So I didn’t say anything or make a gesture to Fyrtio as I continued my patrol. I should be done soon enough and have a good enough on where I can make a concealed defensive position.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"You're just in time. It's a re-run of the season two premiere, where Lord Zed arrives and the Rangers get their Dinozords finally upgraded to Thunderzords. The action's getting out of hand, I tell you. Out of hand."
    “Eh…? Tino-zooids? A Zoord?” A look of sheer bewildered confusion flashed over Anna’s features for a moment, as she glanced at the…action happening on the screen. “The dudes in leotards?”

“Is this some bizarre American gymnastics or something? Man, they really do amp up everything here.” Anna’s voice dropped a bit, becoming almost a mutter. “They don’t look that great at it though… must be the suits. Any movement in those and you’ll sweat out your brains in a minute.”

"You're gonna be having a guest soon~! Just the type that's more content on watching where you can't see, instead of being brave and coming to talk~"
    Amazing. As if I’m direly lacking in unknown forces and figures that are angling to make my life as frustrating as is humanly possible.” A small wave of her hand accompanied Anna’s words almost as if she was discounting the new figure entirely. “They might as well take a seat in the queue, I suppose, somewhere before the “idea-made-manifest” and after the “personification of mankind’s darkness”, I suppose.”

Despite the apparent levity of her words, Anna wasn’t about to discount the words of the prophetic girl in front of her, strange as she seemed at times. Was that… garlic slurry? Not that Anna was wholly unfamiliar with strange tastes, of course. She was a witch, after all. Newt’s eye potions came part and parcel with the trade. Though when it came to actual food, her tastes definitely skewed more… traditional.

“Thanks for telling me though.” A hint of warmth flickered in the smile that Anna gave Zhou. “Always better to know that there are guests coming… even if they do happen be creepy stalkers.”

Especially if they happen to be creepy stalkers, actually.

“Speaking of knowing things… You guys gonna fill me in on what you did yesterday?”

Anna leaned on one of the armrests of the couch that Zhou was lounging on, addressing the pair, even as one of her ruby eyes was still glued on the bizarre display of activity taking place on the TV screen.

“Seems like a bunch of things went down while I was stuck killing my wrists carving and chiseling bloody rocks.”

Blog Entries
    John Dove
    Location: Pinefall High Dormitory – Souma Nubatama’s Bedroom (Room 109)

"...... Ghostwood...... heh."

Smiling in slight amusement, Souma gestured for John to sit down at the bed, while he himself took the only chair in the room (white and wooden) and took a seat as well. Once they were both a bit more comfortable - whatever that meant in a room like this - the one-eyed boy made a point to glance outside through the window. His single eye gazed at the overcast scenery, the school, the campus, and the forest surrounding it and for just a moment, there was a slight narrowing of that very same eye - almost like some sort of unknown emotion had run through it.

Then he turned back to John.

"... I've walked it. More than most here, I'd wager. It's a living, breathing time capsule. Hides within itself all sorts of things. The crater lakes to the north. The train tracks that lead to nowhere. The hollowed-out station. The saw mill that's like a gravestone. Blue Tail Peak and White Pine Mountain, the two guardians of this area that shut it off from everything else. They... hide secrets of their own. A statue that feels like it's more than it seems. And a listening post, seemingly under new management..." Souma softly spoke, studying John's expressions as he did. "The funniest thing, though. The forest itself feels like it goes on for an eternity. So easy to get lost in. And at night, it turns into a pitch black mass that swallows you up... just like the ocean. A town, beset on all sides by pure darkness, even from above..."

Souma looked up towards the ceiling, as if he could see the sky above it - for some reason.

"A single spotlight in the night."

He grinned, ever so slightly.

"An island in the umbra sea."

The way he emphasized those last two words... it was almost like he was referencing something, or trying to make a specific point.

"Speaking of which, that statue of a pioneer near Ghostwood Overlook... have you ever seen it up close? It's rather interesting. That wide-brimmed hat that shadows its face, and the sextant it has raised over its left eye to gaze towards Road's End... it's almost like it's covering up one of its eyes. And the text 'The One Who We Have Everything to Thank For'... it certainly seems important. I never checked personally, but perhaps the statue is even gazing at something specific over in the town..." Souma continued, chuckling lightly. "And then there's the Klallam totem, though... if I'm honest, it felt rather ominous, so I steered clear of it, even though it was close by. But I did like the overlook itself. A great view."

He paused for a moment, as if he had just remembered something.

"... And speaking of students, so did Gabi Bahkauv. Enjoy the overlook, that is. He said it was... perfect place to look at the stars. But the way he said it, it was almost as if he expected to find something wrong with them. He was worried. About the night sky," Souma added, before frowning slightly. "... But I haven't seen him in a while. Anywhere. Which is both suspicious and... odd."

However, before Souma could say anything else...

... There was a sudden knock at the door.

Liana Skye & Colt Davin

"........."

Hawthorn's response was just a quiet nod, and with that, the older man headed towards the stairs. He passed by Colt and Cathie on his way there, regarding the former only with a passing cold glance - and Cathie, in turn, returned it via glare of her own, and sticking her tongue subtly out when his back was turned. The man ascended the stairs and made a beeline towards the "ground zero" of last night - the rooms and offices they had spent so much time. Even though he was clearly tired, at the very least he seemed sharp enough to do whatever detective work he was about to do.

"That guy is just... ugh," Cathie muttered quiet enough for only Colt to hear.

And perhaps that was a good thing, since just a moment after, as if summoned by Colt talking about juice and coffee, Liana Skye approached them. Vehicle keys were returned to Colt, and few words were exchanged regarding breakfast. And as it seemed, Sierra Pinkerton had more or less glued herself to Liana's side, despite having been clearly annoyed by the earlier comments about her "cuteness".

It was almost like she wanted to scream "I'm not cute!" but couldn't due to it being not proper, especially in company such as this.

"Oh, breakfast would be lovely," Cathie replied, smacking her lips in anticipation. "I bet they have just a huge kitchen here, big enough that I wouldn't even have to worry too much about cleaning up afterwards..."

Having said that, some sort of idea seemed to pop in the girl's head.

"Hmm... hey, Lia? Need an extra pair of arms? Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've been kinda trained for this stuff," Cathie asked, grinning slightly and slapping her bicep. "Plus if Mr. Easy-Rider here is in need of some sugar, I can make one hell of a mean pancake in a pinch - one sweet enough to jumpstart anyone's day, no matter how long the night has been."

That seemed to pique Sierra's interest, as the younger girl raised an eyebrow.

"... Pancakes? For breakfast?" The one-eyed girl asked. "Isn't that... a little excessive?"

Cathie cackled at the question.

"No way! It's the Great American Tradition, I'd say!" she replied. "If they only had some berries in the freezer, I could make... oh man, blueberry pancakes and some hot, strong coffee... I'd kill for that right now..."

A loud rumble, one to put a wild animal to shame, filled the lobby. At first it seemed Cathie herself was to blame, as the girl looked at her own stomach rather embarrassed... but as it turned out, she wasn't the only one. After all, Sierra immediately flushed bright pink on her cheeks, and stared at her body like it had betrayed her in the most heinous way possible.

"I, uh, umm..." the younger girl stammered.

"B-besides, we have plenty of mouths to feed, right?" Cathie hurried the conversation along, before suddenly nudging Colt with her elbow. "Not to mention I bet this guy eats like a horse. All boys do, or so my mom tells me."

Vier Wolff

As Vier continued her patrol, she could still feel the one-eyed gaze of Fyrtio on her back... but the emotions hidden within that gaze, she could not be sure of. Whatever the silver-haired young woman was thinking of right now, her stoic, stone-like expression betrayed none of it. Only that she kept her eye on the other girl, even as she was slowly making her way around the country club, looking for a good place to set up defensive positions. The music from the shed drew further and further away as Vier walked, yet the feeling of Fyrtio's gaze at her back burned like a hole being drilled to the back of her head.

And so she walked.

Past the onyx statue.

Past the rose bushes.

Past the empty swimming pool.

Past the shattered glass on the ground, and the broken window high up on the second floor.

And around the corner, once more.

"-------!"

Sudden sound, however, did catch Vier's attention as she turned the corner and arrived to yet another patch of well-maintained garden, though this time without roses. Instead, she saw bushes, trees and small paths cutting through them, along with what could only be the personal garage of Jack Pinkerton, where his own car had to be. Though, judging by how the shutter was closed and how there were no slightly-fresh tire tracks in the mud, it was obvious that the car hadn't been touched recently. At least in a few days.

But the sound?

The sound was a high-pitched squawk. A harsh noise, made by an animal.

...?

It was a raven. A jet-black bird, sitting at the edge of the garage's roof, looking around, preening its wings, clacking its beak and generally being a raven. It turned its head when it saw Vier appear around the corner and stared at it with its one beady eye, the right one, as if to see whether or not it should fly to safety... or if it should strut about and be a general nuisance like ravens so often were.

Alexstrasza Lockhart

The journey from the hospital to Pinefall was an uneventful one, but it did allow Alexstrasza Lockhart some time to think.

After saying goodbye to Cesarina (and the latter telling her friend multiple times to be careful), the blonde girl had made her way down to the first floor. Considering just how chaotic last night had been, it was weird to see how the hospital seemed almost... peaceful in the morning light. No signs of anyone still looking for intruders, no signs of increased security, heck, there wasn't even any security in sight, almost like nothing was out of the ordinary. Indeed, despite everything that had happened, it was just business as usual at End's Mercy. In fact, the only person who Alexstrasza saw was the receptionist at the lobby, who simply smiled at her and wished her a good rest of the day.

Had everyone been really that stealthy? Or had the hospital just swept it all under the rug?

It was hard to say.

The streets of Road's End had been just as empty, with the overcast weather and the promise of oncoming rain later in the day keeping all the locals inside. Alexstrasza saw few cars pass by, but the closer she got to the school, the less people there were around - and after arriving to the campus itself, it turned out to be completely empty.

Well, almost.

She did see Inacio, the green-haired male student she hadn't really interacted with, leave the main building and head for the pool building - and as she watched the former, she did see a glimpse of some young man with pale hair and soft complexion wander inside. Someone she didn't actually recognize, and who looked to be looking for something or someone. But before she could properly identify them, the person was gone already.

Besides, she had a first destination in mind before any of this, before any further investigations. Therefore, she headed inside and towards her first stop.

And thus Alexstrasza Lockhart stood in front of Souma Nubatama's door and gave it a knock.

Vivienne Bianchi

Cleaning the room of the troubled reporter was easier said than done.

As Vivienne started gathering all the scattered papers, notes and other things that were strewn across the floor and putting them in some sort of organized piles on the desks and the shelves, she noticed that much of them were vaguely familiar. They were papers she had seen scattered about the last "time" she had been in this room as well - and in most cases, they had been pinned all over the walls in a haphazard manner to try to connect all the points brought up in them. In that sense, it quickly became apparent that the things said in the papers she could find were what she already knew.

Well, there was still Alex's journal with her personal notes in shorthand, but again, it was nigh impossible to make any sense out of it, so that was a no go.

Not to mention the fact that Vivienne didn't even know where the journal was at the moment...

"......?"

One thing became apparent during Vivienne's clean-up, however. A certain thing that seemed to repeat itself.

At first she had thought the scrunched up balls of paper were just same notes from before or their earlier copies which Alex had messed up, but after opening few of them up, the reality of it turned out to be different. It almost looked like Alex had been drawing... some sort of map? There were multiple versions of it, and the lines were shoddy and strange, but after turning around few of the discarded sketches, the quiet girl was sure of it.

The reporter had been trying to map out [I
    something[/I].]

But what did it mean...?

Well, there wasn't much that Vivienne could do with all the various attempts at a map without further knowledge or some sort of inspiration. Besides, the day was trudging along and there was still the matter of breakfast. And since there didn't seem to be room service (or at the very least, Vivienne didn't see a phone in the room which she could use), the girl made her way to the first floor after finishing up with the rest of the papers.

The lobby was as quiet as ever, with some tired-looking employee manning the reception. Nearby, in the shadow of a door that seemed to be leading to the personal rooms of the Halloway family, Mr. Halloway himself - looking as grim as ever - was having some sort of conversation with a younger man - one with black leather jacket and ashen hair. However, it wasn't exactly a conversation Vivienne felt like she could join.

As for the dining area, things seemed to be at full swing, with most of the guests of the hotel enjoying their breakfast. And among them...

--- Ah, there. Rachel Halloway.

With a pot of somewhat scary-looking coffee in her hands.

It looked like someone else was having a rough morning as well.

Prushka?

"Nope."

Ahti chuckled a bit as he skewered a piece of what arguably was meat and shoved it in his mouth. The first "cheerful" sound out of him this morning.

"Go with the flow for now and cross whatever bridges are up ahead when we get there... right," he answered. "And try not to be a martyr. Yeah, I think I can do that. Besides, wasn't much for self-sacrifice before, anyhow. Guess I'll just try to straddle the line, no matter how new it is to me. From what I understand, all of us from the project are sorta... prone for extremes."

He snickered, as if he had said something only he found funny - an inside joke that only he and others like him could get.

Then he started shoveling the food into his mouth without a second thought, perhaps understanding that part of what made his mood so somber had been the lack of food in his belly.

Though he did stop for a moment to give Prushka a quizzical look.

"By the way, Imp... you've been really touchy-feely this morning," Ahti commented. "You good? Or just starved for physical contact? I mean, you were all sorta clingy during the night too. Not that I mind, just not exactly what I'm used to."

He shrugged his shoulders and went back to his food.

"Guess it's not too bothersome, though."

An awkward atmosphere filled the room afterwards.

Perhaps that was why it was good that once the two were done with food, they headed straight for the school once they had gathered their equipment. Which, of course, meant trudging through the forest, crossing the road and climbing the hill back to Pinefall.

Pinefall that, under the late noon light, seemed more silent and empty than ever - despite some signs of people being at the dormitory. But as for the main building and the pool building, well...

... They were silent like graves.

For a moment, you could almost hear a pin drop in the silence left after Elise's explanation of their situation.

Samuel, who had been in the middle of his drink as he listened, carefully lowered the glass to the able and swallowed, perhaps trying his very best not to spray it all over out of sheer shock. Then he wiped his mouth with a paper napkin, scrunched it up and set it on the table as well... and let out a low, quiet whistle as he leaned back in the red, faux-leather couch, sinking into its depths like a deflating balloon.

"..... You know," Samuel commented with a tone that didn't seem to know whether it should be amused or not. "Had I not experienced all sorts of things. Including last night. I would have been ready to call that crazy. Even by our standards."

He did have a point there.

"But still... a time loop, huh? And only some of you retain your memories. Meaning that everyone else in this town, all 3000 or so people, don't. Which is... well, it's a rather staggering thought. After all, time manipulation on such a scale... it's unheard of. Or, at the very least, I've never heard of it. I wonder... how localized is the effect? Or does it... does it affect the whole world?" Samuel mused as he rubbed his chin. "... Scary thought. Very. And you said it lasts less than a week? And ends in tragedy? Hmm... I can't say I have heard of anything like that happening at Road's End before. At the very least, the time loop. Tragedy though..."

Samuel's face took a harsher look.

"... It was before my time. But twenty-one or so years ago, there was the Pinefall High School Massacre. Or so I hear. All the students of Pinefall at the time, tens upon tens of them... dead. Well. Almost all. I hear one or two survived. Either because someone killed them all... or because they killed each other. It's... something that's not really talked about in the town. They shut down the school for few years. Then reopened under new management. Like scrubbing clean all of the tragedy. I... well, as said. I don't remember much - was too young back then," Samuel explained with a hushed voice. "Older people might. But they'll be tight-lipped. I guarantee it. Remmie made some research into it. But... well, I don't know where her notes went."

A sad, somewhat dry smile rose to the young man's lips and he looked aside.

"... Had other trouble back then."

He chuckled slightly. It wasn't a happy sound.

"I think there was something about the class at the time. Something that made it rather weird situation. Media cover-up, even. Can't say if it's right, but I have this feeling... one of the teens who survived was maybe related to this big celebrity family. I think the name was... West, maybe? From California," Samuel continued. "Lots of strange rumours swirled about. Like how all of them went mad. Or that there was a serial killer on the loose. Or how it was the fault of the Disembodied Man. They say he was spotted around at the time. But hard to say the truth - because everything was shut up. News, police, any investigation. Or so Remmie and Angelica theorized."

Finally, he shrugged.

"Who even knows? They might have. But don't know if they left anything behind regarding that," he said. "But... maybe that could tie into your tragedy. A repetition. A fate forced upon you all. Like... like Michael, forcing tragedy upon Miss Faraday here. You're forced to relive what they went through. But why? And why a loop? That doesn't seem like an accident. More like..."

He frowned.

"A punishment. A horrible punishment."

Just by looking at him, it was clear that Samuel was horrified of the fate that the two girls and their friends had found themselves in.

"....... Hmm. Maybe the prophecy could tie into this all. I only read it once, and don't... don't remember it word-for-word. But I know that while our grandfather was sure it was a Named Demon - Gaap to be more specific, it was... never actually mentioned. A Named Demon, that is. Much less Gaap. It did talk about things like adversaries, beasts, monsters or such but... I'm sure it did not specify Gaap himself," Samuel then switched topics slightly. "All of that was just conjecture and deduction from Ezekiel Lowgate. Though, from what I understand of what Remmie told, one of the things connected to all of that might be..."

His eyes turned towards Lucille.

"... Little Eli. The girl I think you mean by the name 'Gradient'," he added. "After all, the name 'Eli' was just an abbreviation of what we initially called her. Or what Remmie called her for some reason, after I lent some books to her."

He paused.

"She called her 'Elijah' of all things."

Hisa Momoi

It didn't take too long for Hisa to find Mercedes's room, and much less time to knock on it. There was no immediate vocal answer, though what the girl could hear was someone grumbling under their breath and the tell-tale sound of shifting and creaking bed. After repeating her knock, she got an actual confirmation that her call had been heard - though it didn't exactly sound like a happy confirmation.

"Uuurgh... fine, fine. Like, keep your panties on," Mercedes's muffled voice came through the door. "Just a moment..."

After that, sounds that could only be described as someone flopping out of their bed and rolling across the floor followed. Then the inhabitant of the room got on their wobbly legs, apparently searched for some clothes to put on, and finally made their way to the door. Footfalls of bare feet flapped against the floor, and soon enough, Hisa heard the sound of multiple locks rattling as they were being opened.

Well, at the very least Mercedes wasn't trusting just the security the school had provided.

"Yeah, what is it...?" A familiar voice asked as the door finally creaked ajar.

In a way, what Hisa saw in the doorway was a rather "fresh" sight - even though there was nothing fresh about it at all. Mercedes, in stark contrast to her usual well-maintained and groomed image, stood there looking like she had just gotten out of bed. And she most likely had. The girl was wearing nothing but an oversized T-shirt and her underwear, her hair was uncombed and stood up in every which direction, her eyes were bleary and slightly bloodshot, and her face had not seen any make-up since she had washed it off last night. Not only that, but she was giving her butt a rather unladylike scratch - something the usual Mercedes would have never done.

For once, Mercedes West looked like just a regular girl, and not a Hollywood star.

As for the starlet herself, she took a moment to realize that it was Hisa who was standing on the other side of the door. And when she did, she let out a small sight and smacked her lips, before a weary grin rose to them.

"... Morning to you too, Nancy Drew. Like, it just had to be you, huh?" The actress said with a chuckle. "I mean, Lucy would be totes too kind to ever, like, take advantage of this, but I think we both know you're putting this moment of weakness into your arsenal or whatevah. For later ammunition to take potshots at me. Well, at least you aren't a paparazzi. God knows what they'd do if they saw me, like, in this state - or get a picture of it."

Mercedes cackled a bit, but it sounded good-natured enough to make it clear she wasn't actually as annoyed as she played up to be. Instead, she seemed genuinely slightly happy to see Hisa standing there, considering they hadn't seen each other since last night.

"Anyways, whassup girl?" The starlet continued, offering her hand for a fistbump. "I see you're still alive. Good. Would've been, like, totes awkward if after all that prep it would have been you who'd been toast after last night."

She paused for a moment, looking at the state she was in.

"... Also, if you're here to get me up and about, mind coming in? I need, like, a minute or two to doll myself up. Ain't no bitch queen ever walk around campus in such a sorry state."

She snorted loudly.

Anna Vandemeel

Ramia chuckled.

"Mostly the same for me, Red. With all the stuff I know now, I figured it'd be best to prepare for the weekend," she explained. "So, I spent the better part of the night working on some items that would definitely get me questioned by the airport security. Let's just say that if there's any need to turn a stretch of land to a minefield right now, you know who to call."

She flashed a slight grin and thumbed her nose. Indeed, judging by the smell of gun oil on her, the dusky-skinned mercenary hadn't even gone as far as to take a proper shower after she finished her work. Knowing how the more 'arts-and-crafts' types of Turnside tended to work, it was quite possible that Ramia had just collapsed to be, still fully clothed, once she had finished her quota.

"I did hear some ruckus from people sneaking in late, so there definitely was a lot going on..."

Zhou let an an agreeing hum from the couch.

"Yuuup~! Did a little sneak preview session last night, and saw a lot of things going on~", the bespectacled girl said. "Ended up sending my brother to the beach, that soldier girl to the country club and telling that white-haired kid to keep a close eye on the tiny child for the whoooole night~! And as it turned out, everything went well, for once~! Nobody died, and even if my brother got a little beat up, he's hard-headed so he can take it~"

Zhou giggled a bit, though let out a slight sigh right afterwards.

"... Not that I know anything about healing, so I can't even really help him~"

It was more or less sounding like Minato Coastrise was stuck in bed, all bandaged up, unable to even lift an arm.

... What a high school debut.

"Took most of the juices out of me, though, so I've been just resting my little head ever since~" Zhou continued, punctuating her words with a big, loud yawn. "But I'm willing to bet something will happen today too, so hopefully I've recovered a bit by that time~! Wouldn't want my sister to overexert herself~"

Another pause.

"... And Minato better stay put and rest too, if he knows what's good for him~"

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Cathie
    "Hmm... hey, Lia? Need an extra pair of arms? Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've been kinda trained for this stuff," Cathie asked, grinning slightly and slapping her bicep. "Plus if Mr. Easy-Rider here is in need of some sugar, I can make one hell of a mean pancake in a pinch - one sweet enough to jumpstart anyone's day, no matter how long the night has been."
    "Oh?"

Raising a single eyebrow in mild surprise, Liana turns her gaze from Sierra to Cathie, the amused light in her eyes making it very clear she had been doing her best to not tease Sierra too much, even if she was clearly enjoying the adorable way the smaller girl reacted to things.

"Sure, I don't see why not."

It wasn't her usual method of operation in a kitchen of course, at least not nowadays, but the idea of cooking together with someone else was always oddly appealing, a mundane activity that was nevertheless enjoyable in it's own way, and well...

I think I need more friends that are girls...

...She did always wind up hanging out with guys after all.

"But working with a pro? That'll be new. Gonna have to step my own game up then, I suppose~"

Can't get left in the dust the moment she finally gains access to a good kitchen, it was time to go full force, use every bit of talent in this body-

"... Pancakes? For breakfast?" The one-eyed girl asked. "Isn't that... a little excessive?"
    -especially since a certain little girl appears to have not been taught the value of a traditional American-Style breakfast-!

"No way! It's the Great American Tradition, I'd say!" she replied. "If they only had some berries in the freezer, I could make... oh man, blueberry pancakes and some hot, strong coffee... I'd kill for that right now..."
    "She's right. I'd definitely say it's a Great American Tradition!"

A chuckle, as one hand rises up to her chin in thought. Simple thoughts mostly, like the best way to batch cook, as well as what preferences in terms of food she had managed to find out about the rest of the group, but-

"..."

-a loud noise erupts, the familiar sound of someone that hasn't been fed properly, and-

"I, uh, umm..." the younger girl stammered.
    "Huh, guess I was pretty hungry too."

-a casual remark about the sound, or rather, a casual claim that she had made the sound herself herself instead of Sierra... It's not much, just an implication of an implication, a natural protective reflex that even extends to social situations, and one that doesn't bother the taller girl too much, after all...

She didn't really care for being too formal herself, still-

"B-besides, we have plenty of mouths to feed, right?" Cathie hurried the conversation along, before suddenly nudging Colt with her elbow. "Not to mention I bet this guy eats like a horse. All boys do, or so my mom tells me."
    "It's true. Bottomless stomachs, nine times out of ten."

-the moment passes and Liana nods, voice quiet but serious, or at least it was, until-

"Not to mention, the easiest way to a man's heart is through his stomach."

-the hint of a teasing smile breaks through her pleasant expression, as if she was doing her best to not laugh about some aspect of her own words, like she thought she was being amazingly subtle...

Or perhaps found it funny to not be subtle at all-!

"But that's neither here nor there."

The smile widens.

"If you've got the pancakes, I guess I'll handle the bacon and eggs." Liana suggests, the teasing smile returning to a more normal one, "Then again, the group's pretty big, so might as well make a broad selection of things, right?"

Her eyes light up, the light reflecting in them dancing like miniature stars.

"Scottie likes his bacon cremated, so that's pretty simple. Fio... Bulk eats. French Toast is pretty good for that, filling, stores pretty easily, every kitchen should have bread, and I know 38 different variations on it to account for variable ingredients, so that could be a fun one to go for!"

Can even put ice cream on some kinds if you're feeling particularly sinful...

For some reason, it seems like working out the plan in her head excites her.

A simple love for the art of cooking.

"Thorne and Zane are guys, so most things would probably do in their case. Aleen and the Omkara siblings I don't know enough about to say, although Aleen is gonna wake up with one hell of a headache... Sierra," she winks at the smaller girl again, "Whatever she wants, Saturday is the day when it's okay to be a little excessive, after all~"

She pauses.

"Wake up early, watch television, read comics, play video games, or even just relax and let the morning fly by with friends... Nothing wrong with that from time to time."

---Especially after a night like last night.
    Last edited by Airen; October 21st, 2021 at 05:27 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Hisa Momoi

The fact that there were noises coming from inside the room - the noises of someone getting out of their bed, specifically - already came as a slight relief. At least it meant that Mercedes didn't just mysteriously disappear like how people seemed to around here, and that she must have been fine. Or maybe that's the optimist fantasy my mind wanted to make up, and it was in fact Patient Zero, already in a perfect disguise.

I wonder just how exactly that worked, if it was a reality created solely on the observer's image of a person.

Would that mean that if I forcefully altered that image I built up, or hid it behind a veil of lies, I'd be able to get around it?

The sound of multiple locks clicking and turning one after another snapped me out of my thought process on a short note. It was quite irrelevant for the situation anyways, as it was highly unlikely that it was the case. Yet, moot point or not, it did not hurt to sport the thought, since sooner or later, it was certain that we would face her somewhere.

After a surprising amount of locks on a door that shouldn't have had more than one were unlocked, the sight that welcomed me was certainly rather unexpected. Enough for my brows to shoot just a little higher up, similar to my lips as they curled into a subtle smirk. Not that there was anything wrong with the girl who was standing on the other side of the door, objectively speaking. It was quite natural, in fact - and yet, it defied her usual image quite a bit.

"You should know by now that I could be worse than any kind of paparazzi, if I really wanted to be," I locked eyes with the girl as I lazily folded my arms in front of my chest, "But, I do appreciate the view. Now I have solid evidence that you aren't so different when you aren't trying to uphold that bitchy queen image of yours. Quite more approachable too, if I'm allowed to say."

Worn out from the long nights or not, it certainly took a special kind to look like this after sleep. I could only be glad that I did not have to deal with something like that every morning - especially not with a bedhair like that.

In the end, the revelation would elicit something between a chuckle and a snort out of me, something I tried my best to suppress as Mercedes turned around and closed the door behind me after I entered as well. As she started working on her looks, I took seat on the single chair sitting in front of the desk. The momentary silence reminded me of one of the reasons for why I came to talk to her, and suddenly, a certain sense of awkwardness and worry started growing inside me, giving even more load to the part of my brain that was working on suppressing such thoughts. But even then, I could not deny that opening the conversation with such a topic first thing in the morning would have been...

"I know that this is like, the absolute worst kind of thing to start the morning with, but I wanted to talk about it in private, and would rather get it out of the way now."

Leaning back in the chair, I stared at the girl's back as she started combing her hair. Would she know? Would she admit? Would she deny, or maybe she is not even aware? Which would the best outcome even be?

"Do you know what your mother works with? Her involvement with this town, the government, and this rather dubious project as a whole? We...might have found some things yesterday."

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

As Hisa's awkward question entered the airspace, the comb in Mercedes's hand stopped for just a moment.

The actress seemed rather surprised by the question and the fact that her mother was brought up at all... but after a second or two of awkwardly staring straight ahead, she heaved a sigh that sounded more like a groan. A groan of a person who, after thinking about it just a bit, realized that it was totally possible for their parent to be involved in something shady regarding the town. In other words, even Mercedes West seemed to regard her own mother as someone who could very well be involved with everything that was happening at Road's End.

"--- Yeah, like, no kidding. Wait till I get some coffee in me at least, geez... oh and hand me the make-up kit from the top drawer, will you?" Mercedes replied as she started struggling with her hair again. "These bags under my eyes are, like, killing me, I swear..."

She made a point to massage the said spots under her eyes with slight frustration, before turning her gaze towards Hisa and continuing to comb her own hair.

"But yeah, erm, lessee now... my prim-and-proper, esteemed mother, huh? As far as I know, she like, works at information technology and stuff. Thinks it'll experience a big boom in the near future or whatevah. So, like, computers and stuff. Oh, also that new internet thing? Yeah, she thinks it's going to be the thing of the future, so from what I hear, she's banking almost all on it," Mercedes explained. "Made herself a pretty penny with it, too. Guess in that way we're pretty similar or whatevah. Like, she started as a star on the silver screen too, but about two or three years before I was born, she quit the business and started, like, doing all that nerdy science stuff. Started up her flagship company, WestTech which makes all the consumer-level products."

Having finally more or less tamed her bedhair and making it resemble her usual coiffure more, the starlet set aside the rbush.

"And, like, aside from that there's West Research Labs, where they do all their prototype shit. Poached some big names for their R&D from all across the globe - as far as Japan, even. And considering, like, the IT focus of it all, I guess that'd be your government focus as well. They've probably ordered all sorts of stuff from them - big things in security and other innovations," the actress continued. "And that stuff's all confidential like hell, so like, yeah - I would not be surprised at all if she was involved on some level. Actually, knowing my mother and how Machiavellian she likes to be, I'd be more surprised if she wasn't involved."

Finally, Mercedes turned around to look at Hisa, and though she was clearly trying to play it off coolly, one look at her eyes was enough to tell that even the actress was getting worried now that her mother had been brought up. And not worried for herself, no. As much distaste as she put into her voice whenever talking about her, it was rather clear that Mercedes, deep down, still did love her mother and wanted nothing bad to happen to her.

"As for a connection between the town and her, like... I'm not sure? I mean, she did say some weird stuff, like how I'd like it here and how it was a great place - like she had visited her before," the girl added. "And considering how filthy rich she is, I'm sure she could've, like, sponsored some parts of the Oceandrop Project if needed. Though I never heard anything official about that. And---- Oh. Oh, right."

A big frown appeared on Mercedes's face.

"Right, there was, like, that one really weird thing she taught me," the starlet said, rubbing her chin. "What didn't really make sense at the time, but kinda does now."

Her eyes moved back to Hisa, staring straight at her.

"Mom, like, taught me how to verbally test if someone is a time traveller."

Hisa Momoi

"Well, you certainly seem to know plenty about her. For some reason, I thought it would be one of those cases where you were barely aware of anything."

My eyebrows rose high again, though this time because of a different kind of surprise. Only a momentary surprise, however, and by the time I pulled the drawer out and handed the small make-up box over to Mercedes, it already faded. Why did I even make the assumption that they would not be familiar at all with each other?

But then...what did I really know about mothers and daughters in the first place?

"It's about the West Research Labs, at any rate. I would have an easier time showing than giving a short and compact explanation, but...apparently, your mother's company helped in the development of some peculiar objects called "Scarab"...and for one, they were used to terrorize the McLampets at their manor. Though more interestingly, it's their connection with the supernatural which felt to be most out of place for something government related."

Another moment of hesitation, as I was reminded that Mercedes was, supposedly, and most likely, just a human. Not that I ever really cared - but perhaps there was just something sad about how she was dragged into all this and got involved in conversations about things that were likely quite over the top for someone who was only aware of the human world with its rather constricting boundaries.

Not that I was going to start trying to make things look more believable from a human's perspective now.

"I'm not sure which, or if either is right in the first place, but I'm quite certain that they either act as an anchor to materialize beings from the abyss that stands between realms, or that in a more localized form, act as projectors to create their image based on some sort of an input that helps to visualize their characteristics. That, along with some other deductions I could make made me certain that...they aren't necessarily up to any good. Or at the very least, they are likely not on our side, at all."

In hindsight, with how little I said, it probably sounded way more concerning than it was, and it was quite worrying to begin with. Yet, filling her in on everything, and making sure that she understood everything would have taken a lot more time than what I wanted and could afford to spend here. It was best to sort the most pressing matters out first - and then see what could be done about it afterwards. Which also led me to the last thing she mentioned, something that sounded rather confusing in all meaning of the word.

"What or who exactly is a time traveller though?"

Tilting my head slightly, I glanced at the girl with mild puzzlement sitting out on my face.

"Do I qualify as a time traveller, considering how I've already lived through this week once? Or is it someone who chose to travel in time through voluntary means, like with a machine or some spell? Or someone who lives outside of time to begin with, and thus can be wherever they want, and whenever they want?"

Which category would that person who wrote that journal fall into, I wonder?

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

"Hmm... a time traveller would be, like, a person who has, in one way or another, jumped from their place in the time axis at least once, no?"

Mercedes, while starting what seemed like a rather rigorous routine of applying her make-up, mused this regarding Hisa's last question.

"So, uh, someone who has visited the past or the future in one way or another or whatevah - but not in the only means available to us humans, which is like, waiting I guess?" She continued. "Though I guess my mom's advice was, like, meant for those who could freely travel around, or those who were looping or something. It's basically about, like, having these certain traditional ticks to your personality, yeah? Verbal or otherwise. Then, when you interact with someone often, breaking away from them in an unexpected way. So, if, like the person is surprised by that - you're good. But if you realize they're not or they're faking it, that means they've seen it before - even though it's the first time you do it. The trick is, like, supposedly being consistent about it and making it a rule to yourself. So no matter the 'timeline' or whatevah, you'd always be doing it. Self-behavioral control or the like."

The starlet snorted.

"She event went as far as to tell me to make a list of codewords I always adhere to, so in case, like, I realize someone is a time traveller, I can give them one - so if they say it to me in the past, I'll know that they're a time leaper or whatevah and that I trusted them enough to give them one," Mercedes explained, before suddenly stopping what she was doing and glancing back to Hisa. "....... Right. My first codeword's 'Bree is the Best Horse'. Remember that in case you, like, need it."

Although the starlet was very casual about it, what she left unsaid was clear. Through this week the two had been working together in the weirdest ways, and thanks to that, Mercedes had started to trust Hisa - trust her enough to give her one of these "codewords" in case anything happened, and she had to loop again. So that even if time was reset, she could earn back Mercedes's trust by just saying that.

In other words, the actress had grown to trust Hisa in her own weird way.

"As for this Scarab business..." Mercedes then continued, busying her hands with the make-up again. "While that's, like, a very fantasy-like function for a machine, I guess it checks out? Information technology, or whatevah. Projecting or anchoring information that, like, comes from somewhere else and makes it sorta 'real' would fall within the ballpark. At least now that I know there's some weird shit out there straight outta sci-fi and fantasy books. So yeah, if something like that could be made, I could see my mom's labs creating something like that."

Even though she was prettying up her face, Mercedes frowned to the mirror, as thoughts began to spin in her head.

"But to what end... man, I don't even, like, know where to begin. Mom's a mysterious one, that's for sure. Her aims could be anything. Maybe she's been here before and has some sort of vendetta or whatevah against the McLampets? Maybe she's trying to drive them off to swoop in and buy their lands? Or, like, maybe she's just a hired help for someone else? Would have to know more to make any theories, really," the actress mused. "Maybe we could see if there's some paper trail left by the McLampets, see if they mention the name West anywhere. Or maybe I could, like, phone my mom. Not that she'd tell me. Hah."

For a moment, a more downcast look appeared in Mercedes's eyes, though she hid it quickly and expertly - like someone who had taught themselves to never show their true emotions.

"... See, I do know what my mom's like. As a person, as an entrepreneur, that sorta stuff," the girl finally admitted. "But I don't know her. I don't know what she's thinking. Or what she's feeling. Don't even, like, know how she sees me. She's the person who's provided me with food, clothes, house, whatevah... but she hasn't exactly ever felt like a mother."

A somewhat bitter chuckle escaped the starlet's lips.

"So yeah, while I do know about her, I don't know her. Not one bit."

Hisa Momoi

"That's just how things are with everything though, aren't they? Everyone has their unique way of thinking, but everyone only know how they think. Past that, you can only project that way of thinking onto everything else, and try to draw conclusions based on that...or try to understand everything else based on that. But the emphasis is on trying, since even then, your deductions are based on guesswork, and putting your own meaning behind habits and gestures and such. What they really mean, only that one person knows, and even if they decide to share that meaning, it comes down to their honesty and your trust to believe that it is truly all there is to it. Even then, it's really volatile, and with how we have tons of those tiny little things to us, it's impossible to convey everything with another being to the point where they can claim that they know you."

How did we end up here again?

Why do I always end up trying to sound so philosophical or scientific, especially about things that others are likely perfectly aware of as well?

It always just ends with me getting embarrassed.

"Unless you are like me, and can just peek into others' minds to eliminate that volatile communication factor, of course," I laughed awkwardly as I scratched my cheek, "In that case, it's easier, though I feel it's often best if some things are left unveiled. After all, our thoughts are unfiltered, often filled with things what we dislike or try to deny in the first place. The words you say and the face you show to someone else you do willingly though, so..."

I'm talking too much at this point. I really should wrap things up - but what was I even trying to say now?

Swinging my legs back and forth slowly as I gazed at the wall of Mercedes' room with unfocused eyes, I fell silent for a few moments as I tried to gather my thoughts. To share my perspective and try to help her somehow. To give advice to her regarding something that I knew so little of in the first place. Just like usual...who was I to give someone advice about socializing and relationships? All I had was my knowledge I built up with the help of books and what I considered common sense, something that many would consider the insanity of a person who does not belong anywhere near society.

"I guess, in the end, it all comes down to how honest you can be to yourself. How much someone can trust you and your words. And how well you communicate all that. And that's where you fail, because you both seem to be so awkward at opening up about it, even though it's clear that you're important to her. I don't think that the message in the book, or anything else was a lie, after all. If you're so concerned about it, you just...need to take the initiative. Push her over the edge somehow, so that the can't hide under her shell anymore. Otherwise, you'll be exactly like her, and nothing will ever move in the direction you'd like. And if despite all your efforts she decides to distance herself from you, then...that's already one kind of an indicator as well, even if not the most optimal one."

With a sigh, I hopped off the chair and stood next to it instead, while resting an arm atop of it. It was enough to stop my mind from wandering off in all sorts of directions, and have my focus back on Mercedes, as my eyes locked onto her once more.

"Other than that, you had any plans for today? I could kidnap you for a roadtrip. Would give us more time to talk."

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

"Honesty, huh...?"

Mercedes, having finished with her make-up, closed the kit she had been using and set it aside. With a bit of an aloof expression on her face, she wondered back into the main dorm room, one hand on her hip and one lifted up so she could rub her chin, deep in thought. Eventually, however, a wry smirk spread to her face and she turned to face Hisa once more, shrugging her shoulders as she did.

"That's, like, a pretty tall order for a couple of people who've made their living being professional liars, you know?" The girl joked. "But I guess you have a point or whatevah? Like, it's true that unless we're freaky psychic X-Men or something like you, ain't no way we can ever know what the other person is truly thinking. So all we can do is to, like... trust them, I guess? Even if it sometimes gets us hurt. I mean, I know I've got plenty of baggage and dark thoughts that I don't want, like, anyone else to know. But at the same time, that's only a part of me - a part that I don't really like, either."

Having said that, the girl sighed and threw her hands up, as if giving up.

"Maybe it's, like, more about trying to be the person we wanna be, instead of wallowing on who we feel like, yeah?" The starlet asked. "Ain't nobody perfect, after all - though yours truly does give a damn good try at it."

She flashed the scarred girl a haughty grin.

"So yeah, like... maybe I'll give it a try. Start with a call. And for that I could definitely use a ride or whatevah, catch one of the payphones in town," Mercedes continued. "If in return I'm kidnapped to a roadtrip so you can pick my brain some more, I guess I'll, like, live with that. Though before we do head out..."

Mercedes looked at her room, and the mess of clothes that were on the floor. Her eyes wandered to her half-open wardrobe, where many more brand-name clothes could be seen, enough to make it seem like the shelves were just about ready to burst.

"Help me pick out an outfit, Nancy Drew - I got ghost-goo splashed all over my parka and top last night, and I'm not going out there smelling like a zombie," the actress said with a cackle. "Hmm... what do you think? Should I go with something that, like, screams of 'money'? Or something to turn the eyes of all the guys out here? Oh who am I kidding, there ain't gonna be any worthwhile boys out there, huh. Well, aside from that walking tower of abs that you already claimed."

Clearly in a better mood than before, Mercedes chuckled again as she started putting on some proper clothes.

"Oh and do we got any breakfast? I'm, like, totally starving."

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka?

"C-clingy-!"

Fuzzy memories of clinging to something warm last night hit like a splash of cold water down my back. The fork clatters onto the plate, along with the peas speared onto each prong.

"Um, uh, that's." I clear my throat. "That's, uh... I'm always that touchy feely! Nothing weird about it!"

Well, maybe it's a little weird, isn't it?

I pick up the fork and play with it, gesturing with it every which way as we eat, avoiding Ahti's eye.

"It's, um... relaxing? I... like touching things. And... people... friends even more... B-back home, with my brothers and sisters, we were always holding hands, or hugging, or talking through my ESP. Doing that, it was like, we were telling each other we weren't alone, we were together. And, um, when I'd have a bad dream, I uh, used to sneak into Masha's room and... well, ask if I could sleep with her... 'cus it made me feel safe..."

Oh my god what the hell am I saying.

"Just forget it! F-forget you heard any of that! And don't get any weird ideas! It was just a reflex, okay? A reflex! It won't happen again! Unless you want to - I mean no, not happening!"

Prushka?

The explanation only makes things worse, in the end. The TV dinner that follows... is the most awkward TV dinner I've ever eaten.

It's only half an hour later, as we silently left the house and trudged over a wet hill and squeaky grass, under thick grey clouds, that my blush finally fades, and I can focus on what's in front of us.

The school. Foreboding. Nearly empty. In all likelihood, empty of most of its students and all of the teachers. Probably some people remain in the dorms, but as for the rest of the place...

"The janitor's office is in the pool building's basement." I point it out. "If he's here, he's gonna have some answers I need. About the past... and maybe he'd know about the sewers Hisa mentioned beneath the school... janitors are supposed to know that kinda stuff, right? Or is that just plumbers?"

I don't know. But maybe Jake will, if he's here.

"Might as well check on him first. Then we can move onto the others."

With that settled, I look around, eyeing the windows of the dorms and the main building for a moment, before trudging towards the pool building.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Location: Pinefall High Dormitory – Souma Nubatama’s Bedroom (Room 109)

John’s expression remains unchanging until Souma brings up the listening post. He cannot not react to that, considering what he learned from Prushka.

“You are saying somebody else has taken over the listening post? But, is it still the military, of somebody else—no, in the first place, what makes you think that?”

He shakes his head.

“But, a single point of light, is it…?” John can agree, to a degree. “It does make you wonder whether there is still a world beyond this place. This isolation…there is a purpose to it beyond keeping us ‘troubled youth’ away from the rest of society.”

Souma’s slight grin does not escape the shorter boy.

“My apologies, but your amusement eludes me. Does this have something to do with the reason you chose to come here? The reason why you acknowledge that…’otherworld’ some of our classmates claim to belong?”

Does he believe he might find there what you believe to be lacking in the ‘mundane’ world? John does not believe that will work out for Souma Nubatama. Look at Alexstrasza Lockhart, for example. The reason she cherishes the Turnside is not because it is supernatural, but because it is hers. It is the world that she knows. The world that has nurtured her and given her meaning. The way Souma Nubatama is, he will never find meaning anywhere before he decides on ‘a world of his own’. He has to buy the cake before he can eat it.

Souma’s words on the pioneer’s statue also grab John’s attention.

“A sextant…?” He clearly did not pay enough attention to the tourist brochure. “The pioneer is using a sextant…indeed, that may have been done on purpose.”

He still has Remington Hartley’s book. He should check if there is anything there about who crafted the statue, or who paid for it.

“The pioneer’s statue and the Klallam totem…yes, I would lie if I said I am not interested…might be hard to see much of anything in the rain, though.”

And then the name of one of his classmates come up.

“Gabi Bakhauv…” Something urges John to explain himself. “Yes, you are not the first one to tell me one of our classmates seems to have, um, disappeared.”

Gabi Bakhauv is dead. Even if John was not aware of the danger encroaching upon the boy, and even if there was nothing he could have done to prevent it, Gabi’s death is nonetheless another burden John will now carry, for his sins are both inaction and ineptitude.

“The more reason to cooperate. I think neither of us wants the same thing to happen to anybody else—”

Any more discussion is interrupted by a knock on the door.

“Well would you look at that? You are very much wanted this morning, it seems. And here I was feeling bad for getting in the way of your routine and your breakfast.”

No, he wasn't.

In any case, John vaguely gestures towards the door. It is not his room; it is up to Souma to welcome or ignore whoever seeks him out.