Page 227 of 244 FirstFirst ... 127177217222225226227228229232237 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,540 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 10.09.1994 (SAT)
    Weather: ---

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Utujoutsi
    "... I'm afraid the situation is rather different. I'm exactly as powerful as they believe me to be."
    "Then it's simple." Striding forward, I pull something out of my pocket with my left hand. A pink bouncy ball. Up, down, up, down. Tossing it like this is a good tool to stay focused. "We just need to remind those two who's actually in charge here."

Catch. Squeeze. Roar.

The Pink Dragon, a wyrm to match a wyrm, arrives to answer the remote's call, hovering at my feet. Did it come in with us? Or was it manifested somehow, a living figment like Utujoutsi? A question to ponder later. For there is something else to answer now. A proclamation that stokes the flames of a particular memory - no, of countless memories I had until this moment wished to toss in the trash.

"You talked a lot about research and achievements, Doctor. Worthless drivel to me, but there's this one human, just slightly less awful than you. If he were here, he'd say..."

"You're small time. A third-rate scientist on a second-rate project."

Well, perhaps not in those words. Or at all.

"Work at Sariola Mountain? Don't make me laugh. I'd rather be chained to Menlo Park. The PSI are a bunch of incompetent slave drivers, but they're still a hundred years ahead of where you'll be in ten. At least those fools have their eyes on the future; you've got your nose buried in the dirt, clawing at old legends, hoping the teacher won't notice you plagiarizing the past."

I've nothing nice to say about the humans back home. They grew us in a vat. We were made in America, for America. Doubtless there will be more Alphabet Soups, more children like me born without parents. On paper it's not too different from Jukola.

But. Y'know. At least those children won't grow up alone. They'll love and be loved. They'll have something to live for from the bottom of their hearts.

"As for these accomplishments you're so proud of... you dug up the qualia of your homeland and this is what you did with it? Weapons? You're still talking about Ahti and Pyry like weapons? You idiot. You stupid moron. Do you even understand those stories, or is it taking all your meager human brainpower just to recite them? Clean the wax out of your ears, Doctor. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two."

Raising my hand, I call upon the magic words.

"Would you drink this blood of mine?"

The weight of the blade is as real as could be. For certainly, here in my hand, crackling and shaking with bloodlust, is the Ylikäinen Ukonvaaja.

The memory of the one who wielded it, the feelings of the one who used it, the numen of the one who carried this sword echoes in my mind, and now that echo has been made manifest.

Thank you, Ahti. Thank you, Mr. Kullervo. For lending me your strength earlier. Thank you, Beatrice, for teaching me the value of a story.

"And thus the sword answered: Why should I not gladly eat guilty flesh, drink faulty blood? I eat flesh of the innocent. I drink blood of the pure."

A blade of retribution. Of revengeance. Though it is for but a moment, I can call upon it. Surely Ahti's fang will bite at the man who wronged him. That is, after all, the legend that was written.

"Would you care to taste it, Doctor? The accumulated grief of a man who is naught but a sword? The hatred of one who was not allowed to be human? The steel sharpened by endless grudge?"

There is no way he wouldn't. It is, in a sense, the truest proof that Doctor Utujoutsi's research...

"Well too bad."

...was worthless from the start.

The image of the sword shatters in my hand.

No, it is mercilessly crushed.

No, it simply failed to withstand the pressure of being turned inside out by Destati.

Hatred scatters in every direction. Each emotion within the legend is freed at once. A tidal wave of despair and anger washes over me, dying the frozen ocean red. Its stench is nauseating, like a chemical fog that chokes and burns the lungs. All the malice that had been sharpened and tempered into an Arc Relic is freed with no purpose.

What remains, then, clutched in my hand? The one piece of Ukko's blade, of Ahti's burden, of Kullervo's legend that I held onto? What is this tiny warmth the size of a grain of sand? It is too small, too powerless to see.

That's fine. The Puppy never lets a scent escape her. I noticed it earlier, even though the man himself did not. No doubt you dismissed it, Doctor, in your obsessions. A human would never notice. They cannot see it even now. Not unless...

Memoire, give it strength. Nourish this tiny feeling. Let it grow. Let them see what they missed, what was here from the start. It does not matter if it was never written. It does not matter if it went unnoticed. It does not matter if it held no power. I acknowledge it, and that is enough. If no one will believe in you, then I will. Even if they don't change anything, those feelings matter.

Shine. As you never could before.

"...he was not born empty.
    There was something besides grief.
    Not just revenge, not nothing more.
    Far beneath the fearsome hatred held within.
    Not just a man who always hated.
    Not one who did naught but hunt his foes.
    He was more than a sword.
    Even when he abandoned his life.
    Even when he was no longer human.
    Even when he became a weapon for his grudge.
    There was something else he could have become.
    Kullervo, the Blue Socks.
    Last of Kalervo, Of His Blood.
    The Dread Son of Ingria.
    I have no need for your hatred.
    For this moment, live.

As a hero whose heart once cried out for justice.

You want to save him too, don't you, Mr. Kullervo?"

--------------------------------------------
    Wise Up!
    Side Application: Beatrice’s Tale
    Element: Azoth
    By granting a ‘spark’ to the courage spoken of by Beatrice, whose gleaming eyes whisper of the bravery all legends must reach out to, Prushka awakens the numen within Arc Relics, that responds to those who would call themselves heroes. Recreating and inverting the oppression felt from facing down twin mythological Relic spears, Prushka cloaks herself in legend, elevating herself to that same level and laying claim to that fame. In this state she is larger than life, an echo of the unflinching heroes of yore, and the song of her soul calls out to Relics. Even if normally unsuited to them, she may sense nearby Arc Relics and lay claim to their power, pitting courage against courage to decide whose feelings the numen most resonates with.
    Choose a target you can touch that is carrying an Arc-Relic that is willing. If they are not, they are subjected to a EGO Protection contest versus a Shatter Score of 15. Upon failure (or if the target is willing), you gain an unique ability based on the legend of the Arc-Relic they are carrying. This ability has a Rank based on the Rank of the Arc-Relic, and can be used only once. Afterwards using it, gain one level of Fatigue.

Arche Ultima:
    Dive to the Heart
    ??? (Prushka herself does not know what this ability does.)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

Seems like she is pretty serious about slandering a person who exists merely as a memory. Mayhaps it's just a different side to her, a repressed mean tendency that she can let out here. After all, there are no longing consequences of it here, the real life doctor would never learn of what happened inside here, and any backlash from the memory itself.

There was something amusing and yet sad about the thought, especially so if that really happened to be the case. But then, she really was quite emotional, likely both the cause and consequence of numerous traumas. Some which I have experienced first hand - appearing to be part of the past that she opened up more about now.

Well, not that any of that was necessary for now. More than her problems, I had the memory-of-the-doctor's words to address.

"I don't quite see where you are coming from," I spoke up with a calm voice as my gaze locked back onto his form from Prushka's, "Leaving an impact on the human mind is hardly difficult. Be around for a while and affect someone's life to a considerable degree, either positively or negatively, and you'll be imprinted in their memories for a lifetime. Experimenting on someone probably falls under that category, so it's not really something I could find impressive. Especially since if I so desired, I could achieve such a 'feat' in a heartbeat without any need for interactions to begin with."

I lower my hand, only for the butterfly that's been resting on my index to fly up into the air once more with a flutter of its wings, and turn into hundreds of tiny petals halfway. There, it joins the rest of the glowing particles to start swirling around me, just like earlier, if much more slowly, in a more fitting way to the unnatural stillness of this world. Just in time as the blade in Prushka's hand shattered, distrupting the peace like a powerful gust of wind sweeping through the land, carrying with it a miasma of negative emotions, a poison to the air of this dark cosmos. Yet the swirling storm, like a barrier kept the mist out, and the luminous blue sea under remained calm as the rest of it was slowly tinted red.

"I'm afraid I can't find myself being interested in such an offer either, even if it would have been a serious consideration rather than just mocking to begin with," I continued without paying too much attention to my surroundings, "I'm not good at belonging or working under others, especially if our interests do not align from the start. And while I would lie to say that I don't appreciate scientific breakthroughs, like modernizing legends of the past, I can't say that I am too fond of the methods or the goals. Ruining the lives of humans for selfish reasons, and objectifying them with the excuse of it being in the name of science is not tolerable. A true pioneer of the art finds their way forward without it being at the expense of others."

Yes, that was just truly unforgivable. Not that they were alone with commiting such deeds in this world, but it would have been impossible to take every one of those into account. However, in this case, since it was so personal, it was impossible to just turn a blind eye to it. Even if it was possible, there was no way I could have at this point. I wanted to make them pay as much as Prushka, or those two did.

Reaching under the long, jet black feathers of my dress, I sank my pale fingers into a tiny, hidden pocket inside it, and took out the Pyry shaped doll that rested inside it, closest to my heart even now.

I would make them pay for his sake.

"What I find more interesting is that you recall such things. Shows that this place truly connects all those timelines otherwise parallel to each other. Makes me wonder what else you might know. Or what exactly you mean by 'Whispers of the Planet', and such."

Turning my gaze sideways, I noted with confidence that it wouldn't be long now before Prushka threw herself at the man from the memory. She seemed quite prepared, even more determined and filled with emotions than before. But that was okay - I could wait until then, as it would only take a brief moment for me to set things up on my end.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye
    Weather: Storm

After rubbing his chin for a moment in thought, Scottie nodded.

"As it happens, I do have a pair of handheld transceivers in my car. I mean, I don't think they're quite as mandatory these days as they used to be, but as we just established, sometimes they come in handy" The agent said and chuckled as the group moved back into the lobby. "I'll get them from my car and hand you the other one. I think using mine will be safer than tapping whatever frequency Mr. Pinkerton was using."

Having said that, he looked down on Sierra and gave her an encouraging smile. While the girl had not responded to Liana's words, she was sticking closer to her - and to her father.

"Not because he might have been up to something, but because I'd be willing to bet the bad guys have him under surveillance," Scottie explained. "We'll need to be careful from here on out."

He was right about that. If last night had taught them anything (not to mention this morning), it was that they could never be too careful. Eyes and ears of the enemy seemed to be everywhere, and if they wanted to come out victorious, they'd have to be careful and plan accordingly. The lightning strikes and deep shadows making the statue outside smile served as a grim reminder of that.

Plus, there was that text at the bunker.

In the end, who had written that? Nora was already...

"Hmh? Past Wednesday?"

Fyrtio frowned a bit in confusion as the group exited into the rainswept courtyard. The one-eyed woman was holding an umbrella to shield herself, Liana, Jack and Sierra, though the wind made sure that it wasn't too useful by yanking it to and fro. Cathie and Aleen braved the weather in their thick jackets, while Scottie just looked refreshed by the terrible weather.

"I was... out and about. I think," the ashen-haired woman answered after thinking for a moment. "Searching. I've been trying to find... this thing. Lots of legwork. I think I might have been scouting the beach. Or maybe I was in town, taking up notes."

She opened her leather jacket for a moment, showing a thick notepad that was scribbled full of notes in messy shorthand.

"Why do you ask?"

Hisa Momoi & Prushka

"Rejected. What a pity."

Dr. Utujoutsi, his memory, shrugged in slightly sorrowful way as if he was genuinely disappointed that the two hadn't taken his offer - yet it was clear none of that emotion was real. Not because it wasn't the real deal before them, but because he - or this memory - would have never felt anything close to human emotion. He merely acted them out, like a mime of human life, whereas his true desires lay somewhere else.

Research. Discovery.

At the expense of everything else.

"Then again, I suppose you might not have made the cut. You've certainly exhibited some... undesireable qualities, even if they could be weeded out. Overly emotional," he looked at Prushka, and then at Hisa. "Overconfident."

A chuckle. He now gazed at them both.

"Or perhaps... one unhinged and one arrogant. Certainly not something any sensible researcher would be."

As if in response to that mockery...

--- Lightning scored across the cosmos.

It's source? The shattered fragment, memory, of the sword.

A massive bolt of aetheric energy, surging through the darkness and illuminating the shadows, it hung across the canopy of stars, drew and arc, and then descended with furious power.

As the tip of the bolt crashed down upon the frozen sea, the clouds of butterflies rose up to meet it, protecting Hisa from the heat and the power. Even though the taller girl was standing right next to the epicenter of the strike, she barely felt it - more like a gust of hot air against her face.

But there was power. There was fury. This was the type of lightning that had not appeared on Earth for millenia.

Lightning not as natural phenomena, but as extension of a god's fury and power.

Display of a deity's authority.

It was lightning filled with numen, and it struck through Prushka, seeping into her pores and merging into her bones. For a moment everything in her field of vision was white, pure light.

And then it was inside her. Coating her nerve-system and crackling between her muscles. It was like her body had become a container for this deific bolt of thunder.

The levin-licked whips of energy crackled out of Prushka's eyes, barely held within her small frame. And as she took in this new sensation, she understood.

This truly was an arrow of a pantheon's chieftain - Ukko the Overgod.

And for a moment now, she would move as swiftly as it did. Speed would be a meaningless concept for her, as she had become lightning itself in that regard.

"Well... if you were wondering the meaning of my words, it would be this," Utujoutsi spoke to Hisa with laughter while Prushka struggled to control her ability. "This is what you are... espers. Whispers of the Planet, speaking of the future. Not bound by the laws of each other, but kings of your own laws - your own reality. Humanity is such a selfish Beast, evolving itself at the expense of everyone else - including itself. Our love of solitude, of self-sufficiency is... magnificent, if I may phrase it so. We even take the power of the World around us and make it our own... even if only as whisper, instead of a shout."

In Utujoutsi's hidden eyes, there was something akin to admiration as he gazed at the levin-licked form of Prushka, or the feather-clad regalia of Hisa. Deep admiration and appreciation... but in a sickening way. He did not seem them as people. He simply saw them as objects. Mysteries. Something he could dissect to learn the truth of and then dispose when no longer needed.

It was nothing more than admiring a dead frog in a biology class.

"As for your question regarding these memories... well. You are right, but not completely. Indeed, were are at the shore of the sea of unconscious. It would be trivial for a learned individual to shift through this primordial sea and find the memories they were searching for. However... that is not why I remember," Utujoutsi continued, sounding amused. "No, not nearly. After all, remember - I am born of the memories of these two you hold so dear. My existence shares with them. And I know... because he knows."

His eyes flickered towards the imprisoned sun.

"He's not aware of it, but he does. The memories may be unable to resurface, but they are not gone. No memories are. They sleep within our souls, appearing as dreams or visions, and if given the right push - by the right power - one day we might regain them... he might regain them," the doctor spoke, almost wistfully. "Yes. These memories persist... because they resonate with the memories within you two. Your own memories call out to them, drawing them from this sea that spans all time and space, but not to the surface. No, that would require those with power of memories. Hah... ironic, isn't it? You were so distraught after learning of the time's reset, yet you were this close - and so far - from regaining the person you thought forever lost."

Utujoutsi's left hand shifted a little, rose, extended... and with it, the rattling sound of chains could be heard once again. As he curled his fingers, his overgrown shadow seemed to ripple like disturbed water, and from within it, something started to rise. Strands of pure, jet-black something, like coiling snakes, tens and dozens of them, all answering his call.

It was quickly apparent what they were.

Ink-like, oil-like chains. Venomous serpents at his beck and call.

Symbol of his influence on the two brothers.

"Perhaps it is then fate that the two of you will be swallowed up by memories as well..."

Something in him seemed to shift. He had accepted the enmity of the two, and he was prepared to respond in kind.

But before he could...

"Memories art mere memories. They may guide us, but they shan't define us. They shan't control us."

Someone spoke up, having appeared next to Prushka.

"Nay. We control our own fates. No matter what stories and legends of our own minds tell us."

A translucent, faded spirit of someone. A muscular, lean warrior clad in armor and wielding a familiar sword. In his eyes a deep sorrow, regret and embers of a burning fury.

It was the qualia of a hero, buried deep within the white lion. One who had risen from his slumber to bear witness to this final battle, and to offer a word of advice.

As if he wanted to see the venom be extinguished as much as the two girls.

But he was not alone.

"Mhm, past is all well and good. It may hurt, but it's in the past. Nothing we can do about it now."

"One's eyes should always be gazing into the horizon. That's what's truly important."

Another translucent, ghostly figure - this one standing next to Hisa.

A tall, imposing warrior who, however, radiated warmth and great cheer - like someone who would never turn down a person in need, and whose mere existence was larger than life itself. Someone who'd laugh in the face of death, perfectly satisfied with his life up until that point.

Deep love shone in his blazing eyes for everything he saw, setting him aside from mere mortals.

This was the qualia of the elder hero who slumbered within the golden lion, a man who embraced the world with his heart.

"Besides... if you really want his memories back, I'm sure you've already got an idea or two. Right, Hisa Momoi?"

The warrior with blazing hair asked from the girl, grin on his face.

"In other words, this modern warlock has nothing to offer you two except empty words."

In response to those words, for the first time, Hisa and Prushka were able to see something akin to pang of anger flash across the serene face of Dr. Utujoutsi. He grasped his fingers together and clenched his hand into a fist, catching a fistful of the ink-like chains and pulling them taut as they emerged from his shadow. The sound of rattling grew large, and the massive serpent seemed to respond to it, lazily lifting it's humongous head to gaze down upon the two girls.

"Ah. The qualia of the two heroes, come to cheer the children on. How fitting that you would live on, even now," Utujoutsi spoke, the faked cheer in his voice dripping away. "Mere phantoms now, weaponized for the defense of our glorious homeland... I see that I may have to rectify these disappointing words they try to encourage you with."

With his other hand, Utujoutsi gouged the air, drawing deep black lines into it.

"--- I should teach you the true fear of what science has wrought."

True Heroes Met!

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

"...To answer that, I suppose I should tell you about myself first, you probably won't believe me otherwise."

Expression calm even as she's battered by the rain, and her one free arm protectively supporting Sierra's back in the face of the ever-rampant storm, Liana finally decides to just bite the bullet and do what she had claimed to be doing last night. Certainly there was a chance that speaking so freely of certain matters would come back to bite her, there was no way to know for certain that one of the people around her wouldn't just stab her in the back at the end of all of this, but she also wouldn't get anywhere trying to just do everything herself, so...

Risk it.

Humans do it all the time, so...

She should be able to as well...

"As you know, my name is Liana Skye." She starts simply, eyes calm as water that gets too close to herself or Sierra simply evaporates in the face of overflowing energy, "Naturally I'm a Turnside Member, that much is obvious now considering well... All of this."

She chuckles, gesturing at the aura of light around her body.

"But more importantly perhaps, I'm an agent sent here by Eureka Labs to investigate a certain... Space-Time Anomaly."

The name of her employer should hold enough power to prove she's not joking about this, although saying it aloud always makes her feel like she sounds a bit crazy...

"I was supposed to meet up with my mother to have her help me with that, but she's disappeared into some place that has to do with Odin seemingly... Considering we're going up against some sort of force named after the Einherjar, probably some sort of organization here in town... Don't know much about them just yet, but I digress..."

She frowns, a building headache returning at all the problems laying ahead of her in the future.

"I did find the original space-time anomaly, or at least I believe I did, problem is there's an entirely separate one afflicting this town. A time loop." She sighs, aware of the absurdity, "From early Wednesday morning to what seems to be the end of Sunday. I have no idea what's actually causing it, but I am confident that it exists. Colt and Vier were aware of it, as are a number of other people I've come across in town... Like last night's culprit. She was very aware, did what she did because she seemed to think a certain imaginary monster would help her break out."

Waste of energy...

Although she had a feeling the knife she had ditched had something to do with the girl's deteriorating mental state...

"So when I ask... It's because I think I might try to come get you earlier next time, if there's a next time. Figure it would be better to meet up early."
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Anna’s head bopped back just in time as the door was swung open with much gusto, revealing a bizarrely dressed cheery blonde guy who she had never seen before. Draped in blue and black with long hair pulled up in… was that a bun?

Bizarre to say the least. Redhead was still in the kitchen as well, so it could hardly be him in a wig. There were two strangers in the house already... were there maybe more?

"Oya? Girl scouts? Are we about to have a cookie intervention?"
    “..oya?” An expression of incredulity flickered over Anna’s face for a moment. “Actually, nevermind, I’m not even going to go down that rabbit hole.”

“Sorry, no scout cookies here I’m afraid.” Anna gave a small flick of her hand, as if banishing the entire concept into the ether. “Zane invited me to drop by earlier in the week for dinner, so I thought I’d drop by, but I wasn’t aware that he had company.”

“I swear he told me that most locals didn’t like to come over…”

“Well, in any case, I’m Anna.” The witch gave the guy in front of him a small wave. “Anna Vandemeel. I’m one of the… new arrivals from Pinefall.”

Really, girl scouts? There weren’t even bloody kids in this town outside the two that were currently here on this property, nevermind a squad of girl scouts. Shane wouldn’t have to sulk on the beach on his own if there truly was something like that around. Speaking of which….

Anna hollered into the open door.

Oi, Shane! You around?”

Elise Marie Pelltier

Elise stepped out of the cold rain and into the comfortable warmth of the bar. She frowned momentarily as she caught the song playing on the jukebox as she entered. There was a certain amount of irony to it, and Elise found herself torn between amusement and unease.

Could be worse. Could've been David Bowie.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boulders
    "Maybe something to warm you up, lass? You look like you need it."

"Or should I make that a double?"
    Elise flinched as she heard the door open and suddenly slam shut again behind her, and turned back towards it as she heard the noise. She turned back toward Billie at the bar, chuckled weakly, and gave her a nod.

"Yes, please. Something to help warm up does sound nice about now," replied Elise as she took a moment to shake some of the rain off of herself, "I wanted to go for a walk around town, and I thought I'd be able to get back home before the storm rolled in, but, uh, I guess it didn't work out that way."

She started to make her way towards the counter, glancing about the bar as she did and taking stock of the bar's other patrons. There was a woman in fishing gear complaining about the weather.

Is that Suzy Marlin? wondered Elise, It's a bit too late to go fishing now, but I still kind of want to know where the good fishing spots are...

Having ruled out the other patrons, the tall man with dark brown hair talking to the woman in fishing gear seemed the most likely candidate to be Ashley Xavier out of everyone here.

Is that him? He looks like he might be scruffy enough... Of course, having more than just a name to go by probably would've been helpful... thought Elise as she glanced in his direction for a moment.

She gave Travis and his green haired companion a friendly wave as she passed on her way to the counter. She noted the grimace on his face as he spotted her.

Well, looks like the awkward feeling might be mutual, thought Elise, Sorry about that, Travis.

"You're Billie Boulders, right?" asked Elise as she reached the bar and looked up at the owner, "I'm Elise, nice to meet you! I think Jake mentioned you. You used to be the janitor at Pinefall when he was a student there, right?"

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

“It’s lovely to meet you as well.”

If only all conflicts in life could be solved with words and an open hand. Lucille takes Xeni’s hand and gives it a polite shake, hiding her sad sympathy as she feels the girl’s cold, clammy grip. There’s not much else to do other than take this girl to the proper dorms, but the things Xeni has said bothered her.

“They treated you like the person you were impersonating?” Who was it? And for what reason? Lucille would love to pry, but she’s not one to twist a knife into open wounds and pick at scars. Instead, like most teenagers, she offers her opinion instead. Maybe saying it aloud will convince herself of its validity, or she simply wants to comfort the other girl. Maybe both.

“That’s wrong… In the end, you can’t be them. Even if the mask is perfect, there is a person underneath doing their best, in their own way.” To try so hard without people ever acknowledging the effort… wasn’t that just miserable? People should be loved. A simple, basic principle. “...That unseen, invisible effort should be acknowledged. Even if the facade falls apart.”

“If that’s everything you have… Let’s get going. It’s pretty cold.”

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart
    I frowned as I attempted to look past Anna's (rather large) form, but I was unable to see whoever she was speaking to. Potemkin, you call me large, and yet, is this not clearly a larger person then I!? By contrast, are I not slender as a twig?! Almost stick-like, perhaps!?

As a child, I was a master of hide-and-seek. This was more out of survival instincts, really, compared to anything else - if one were the type of person to be easily found, then that would make it easy to punish. As punishments ranged from anything like additional chores to possible maiming, I took great care to avoid punishment as necessary. Even without invisibility, it was possible to be an 'invisible person'. Not that I was capable of erasing my presence, though - in the end, I am what I am. Mana runs through my blood. I cannot change or hide my nature, only embrace it like an old friend. Hiding temporarily to attract dangerous foes... This was basically the same thing! Ordinarily, I would thwack my pursuers on the head with overly large objects, and then drag their unconscious bodies into the open to warn others of their fate.

I let out a mournful sigh, cracking my neck and stifling a yawn. Waiting around for others to do things was... Not particularly my favorite activity. I almost wanted to pull out a book and begin to read, but I had a sneaking suspicion that others here would find that to be... Not rude, perhaps, but undesirable. Straining to hear their discussion, I raised an eyebrow at Anna's flimsy excuse. Was this how real supernatural detectives operated? H-How curious... Potemkin, should we try taking notes?!
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Elaine Winters

The scent of sugar clung to the back of my throat, an overly-sweet, almost cloying sensation that put my teeth more on edge than they already were.

I coughed gently as Ubon's door swung upon, revealing a manic psychedelic array of posters and memorabilia.

Ultimately, it wasn't anything particularly out of the ordinary for my blue-haired (former?) compatriot, though I did catch sight of Tonkori shielding herself with my body.

Oi.

I didn't recall allowing myself to be used as a shield in this way.

Damned mutt.

Hmph.

Still, I allowed it regardless, it wasn't a particularly big deal, and if she wanted some brief respite, then who was I to deny it?

I'd smiled when Ubon re-emerged, clad in a bright and joyously garish raincoat and floppy galoshes, it somehow made things a bit easier to deal with.

Subaru was sweet, but too formal, we'd need to be acquainted for longer, and under different circumstances, to have the sort of casual closeness that Ubon excreted from every pore.

Helped stir me out of the depression I'd been miring in, knowing all-too-well the looming specter on the horizon.

"Hm, wilder personalities, huh?"

I responded to Subaru's query with a moment of thought.

It certainly was a bit strange, all the bold and blaring personalities among the 'gentler sex' and the contrasting, more subdued miens of our masculine counterparts, at least among the students.

"Well, there's certainly a number of other girls here who are more on the closed off side, Alex Terrot, for instance, or perhaps Vier Wolff, stone-cold professional, there."

I offered a counter-point.

"It's probably more that the fellas feel they gotta keep their big strong manly feelings all tucked up inside, don't wanna look like a big sissy girl and have an emotion or something," I half-joked.

My smile dimmed a bit, and I turned a bit more firmly towards Subaru, "They probably just feel insecure, this is, after all, supposed to be a school for socially, hm, maladjusted individuals, such a thing would probably require a good deal of emotional vulnerability from a lot of the gentlemen, which, well, is difficult at the best of times," I sighed, "Take it from a girl who grew up with two brothers and my dad in a beat up car."

It had its share of troubles, to be sure.

Like male body odor.

Or trying to compensate (and failing) with cologne or deodorant.

Ugh.

I was then stirred from my thoughts with the fading of Ubon's drum solo and the arrival of the recently showered Sakura.

Man.

Wish I looked that good coming out of the shower.

Brief sapphic thoughts aside, I pushed forward, nodding at the arriving John as I did so.

"'Lo there, Sakura, we're just poppin' on by to check in on ya after last night's business," The familiar, bluff confidence continues, "A whole bunch of us are pulling together all the scraps and bits of weirdness that's been going on this week, and we're about to go hit the town all focused-like, try and dig up some stuff."

I shuffled my hands in my pockets, "If you're up for going and sniffing around the lighthouse for any more funny business, or some other holes of weirdness, we'd be happy to have you along."

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Haha... it's... really you, Mr. Kullervo."

He really came!

"You... sure took your time... haha..."

And another one, too! Is he the hero that Pyry houses? What's his story? No, no time to wonder.

"S-so?" Pushing back the righteous anger beating in my heart, I give the hero a smile. He was only sixteen, right? Then maybe it's not a good idea to call him 'Mr'. "Wanna find out what it's l-like? To protect someone?"

Why does everything seem like it's moving in slow motion? The air is thick, making it difficult to talk right. Every one of the Doctor's words is taken forever to finish. Hisa, you're moving like you're stuck in molasses. What's going on here?

...oh. It's not them. It's me.

My body crackles. Every muscle shakes spasms like it'll tear itself to bits if I relax even a little. There's too much. Too much energy for one body to contain. Even the tears running down my cheeks are vaporized by the sheer amount of energy.

Something needs to be done with it, or I"ll explode for sure. Something, anything.

And fast.

"H-H-Hisa. I'm g-gonna b-buy you some t-time. S-so." So what? What am I going to ask her to do? "F-figure out, h-how we c-can take t-that thing."

"--- I should teach you the true fear of what science has wrought."
    True fear. The words are uttered slowly, slowly, as if being played at a quarter speed. Normally I'd laugh. What does a human know about fear? But I'm not laughing now. Because it's no mere boast, not here, not now.

Fear is, after all, the greatest and most gripping of all feelings. Before love, before anger, before anything else arose from the soul of human or beast, there was terror, the primordial survival instinct born from the acknowledgment of life and death. Even now, of all the emotions Memoire has memorized, none hold more sway over the heart.

From those cracks in unreality, everything scary in Ahti and Pyry's worlds will seep out to drown us in terror.

Only one thing to be done about it, then.

"F-f-fine by m-me."

Even speaking is difficult. But when I clench my fists, the energy goes there. When I tighten my jaw, the lightning coursing through my veins obeys. There is a blade in my right hand. Ahti's knife, crackling and sparking. A weapon light enough that even a teenager could swing it around. I barely know how to use it, but that's fine; there is someone here who does.

"If you're going to show us true fear... we'll show you a hero's courage!"

Like a bolt of lightning, I launch myself forward. The energy explodes as I give it an outlet. Like a sword cast from the heavens by the might of the Overgod, I cleave space in two as I aim for Doctor Utujoutsi's smiling form.

Quickly. Before the puppeteer can move. Before the nightmares crawl out of the dark. Dragon, take me forward. Kullervo, give me guidance. Boss, let me remember how to do it right this time.

Ahti, watch me!

Like lightning, cut those strings-!

Blog Entries
    “Vier”

Once I finished my impromptu shelter, I was soaked thoroughly even through my water resistant tactical gear. While the storm was bad last loop, I don’t recall it being near hurricane level. The only logical explanation was that the Ghostwood National Forest was amplifying its effects in order to kill me. If it couldn’t kill me by tiring me out or getting me further lost, it would just amplify the current conditions to kill me. It probably would’ve succeeded too if I wasn’t capable of making sufficient survival hideouts.

As I laid down in my humble shelter, I felt my eyelids get heavy. Normally, I would let my body crash if it was tired and fatigued. Better to let it happen in this ‘safe’ location, than for me to crash later during the lull of the storm. However, as I felt my eyes close, my body’s trained instincts told me otherwise. If I fell asleep here, I was at risk of falling into hypothermia and not waking up ever again.

As I debated whether it was worth the risk to make a fire nearby… A large branch of a nearby tree snapped and landed near my current position. If I decided to use a more traditional survival shelter that didn’t require this fallen tree… I probably would’ve been significantly wounded if not dead from the speed and size of that surprise projectile. Also if this was the forest's way of intimidating me from my shelter, then it was only doing the opposite. Running out in this scenario was more likely to tire me further and run into those 'random' tree snapping. So I decided to stay in my shelter and make a quick decision on whether to risk making a fire or not.

I was going to make a fire. A stealthy fire, but still a fire. If anything was looking for me out in this weather, then they would have to spot my significantly harder to spot and smell fire. Navigate to my position in this treacherous weather, then we would both have to fight in those conditions.

Moving to the front of my shelter, I started to make a Dakota Fire Pit. Being particularly careful to place it in a position that would make it possible to gain heat yet not burn down my wooden shelter.

Hisa Momoi

"Thank you for the explanation. Even if the nefarious undertone that you are trying to give to everything is very much unnecessary, it was comprehensive enough to provide clarification to certain things."

The insults rolled off of me like a drop of rain would off a parasol. Pitiful attempts to take jabs like that at me would hardly ever work with the way I was right now, and thus I could instead focus on the irony in his words. How he was behaving exactly like someone who exhibited those kind of undesired qualities, and yet he likely considered himself the most suitable for his position, and the right person to lecture others.

As he talked, something seemed to materialize next to me as well - making me think that one of them came out once more, but as I turned to question them I was faced with the faint form of someone unknown. Someone I've never seen before, yet there was a familiar sort of feel to him. It eventually spoked up, speaking words of encouragement, but most I could respond with was a confident nod for the time being.

It seemed that the time for talking was over anyways. Prushka plunged forward at the speed of lightning, which meant that the memory of the doctor was going to retaliate as well in just a few moments now.

The question then was just how I was going to react to that. My options were painfully limited, but at the same time...Those few options were also quite versatile and limitless. Especially in a realm like this...The hallucinations I could weave would likely be a bit more than just creations of the mind.

The glowing particles of power start whirling more violently around.

What shall be today's grand scene, then?

Blog Entries
    Elaine Winters & John Dove

"O-oh!"

Looking a bit surprised (and slightly embarrassed, thanks to John's comment), Sakura blinked, but then her face melted into a smile. Finally, the older girl nodded - with a hint of tiredness, but clear determination.

"Alrighty, just give me a sec to myself presentable," she replied, giggling a bit and shooting a coy smile at the boy. "Wouldn't want John to have a... heh, 'hard time' now."

Leaving behind that dubiously worded sentence, the brunette retreated back into her room and closed the door behind her. Soon enough the combined sounds of a blowdryer and rustling clothes could be heard - along with metallic clinks of what must have been weapons. It sounded like Sakura was getting ready in a hurry, which meant they didn't have long to wait. However, it was long enough for Subaru to blush brightly at the older girl's words and insinuation, while Ubon only arched her eyebrow at him, along with a snicker.

"You just can't help it, huh Johnnie?" She asked while laughing, before turning towards Elaine. "Still, if Xyllie isn't up for it, guess we should leave her alone. I mean, I gets the feeling she'd just crank down on being a cranky gremlin if we pushed her too far, for realsies. But maybe we'll have better luck with those 'insecure boys' Johnnie mentioned! They might've gotten Inacchie into the mix!"

Subaru, upon hearing this, nodded.

"Mm, it certainly would be nice to know that everyone is safe. That being said, hmm..."

For a moment, the tiny shrine maiden descended into a deep thought, before looking over at John with a question in her eyes.

"Say, Mr. Dove? Are the boys of our class insecure?" She asked, completely serious. "I have to admit, it was not a possibility I entertained."

Meanwhile, those overly-genuine words made non-existent cola spurt out of Ubon's nose.

Perhaps thankfully, it was at that point that Sakura finally remerged from her room, sporting a rather sporty get-up with a raincoat tossed over it and her hair in an aerodynamic ponytail. It was like the older brunette was expecting some action. And considering where they were going and what day of the week it was, that was rather good guess. Dangers lurked around every corner as the week neared its dire end, after all.

"I think all boys are, in a way. But then again, being insecure is a general human thing - not just something for either boys or girls," Sakura said as she closed the door behind her. "Anyways, I take it lighthouse is the first leg of our journey?"

She glanced out of the window and frowned at the raging storm.

"... We have a car, I hope?"

Liana Skye

"Eureka Labs..."

That revelation seemed to catch Fyrtio by surprise. While the others around Liana (aside from Jayesh) seemed rather confused, the one-eyed woman did indeed look like she understood what that name meant. She stopped for a moment, paused to fold her arms and to rub her chin, eye seeing somewhere else as the gears in her head kept turning. She took in the words the younger girl spoke, weighed them, seemed to struggle with something for a moment...

... And finally came to a decision.

"... Yes. Space-time anomaly. That's... well. I've been suspecting it for a while now. Or rather, I've been pretty sure of it. It's a long story - longer than we have time for now," Fyrtio spoke, though the way she phrased things was a little... weird. "Nevertheless, the point is: I believe you. And if Eureka Labs is involved, twice so."

Finally, she relaxed her posture and looked straight at Liana, as if taking a stock of her - or trying to imprint her face and her looks into her memory beyond a shadow of a doubt.

"If we meet earlier on the loop, I should be of use to you as well. The thing I've been looking for... it's called WUOTAN. Odin, in other words. A place, hidden somewhere in this town or the surrounding area. A big research complex where I presume they're generating this anomaly, or at the very least feeding it. And if you spoke the truth, it might be where your mother is as well," Fyrtio explained sternly. "However, I didn't come here - initially at least - to stop the Anomaly. I didn't even know it existed. I only heard through some sources of mine that a person was stationed at this WUOTAN... a person who might be able to shed some light to the shadows I've been carrying for a long while."

Fyrtio closed her eye, and her hand clenched into a fist. She was biting her lip as if holding back anger.

"His name is Qiu Mao. And he's one of the two people I can thank for for being alive today," the woman revealed. "So why he would be working for WUOTAN now... I can't even begin to fathom."

Finally, she released the anger inside of her, and allowed it to flow out of her body into nothingness - returning to the same socially awkward, stoic person she usually was.

"... Still. If you meet me earlier in the week, there's something I need you to tell me, if you can retain your memories," Fyrtio said, eye at Liana once more. "Tell me that I've already combed through the town, the mill and the country club - and found no trace of WUOTAN. That would mean the only remaining places are the mountains and Ghostwood - both prospects I don't much care for. But it's better to know than to repeat meaningless actions. As for how to gain my trust..."

Fyrtio paused once more, thinking something that would serve as a sign that Liana was speaking the truth.

Eventually, after some struggling over the fact, she seemed to arrive to a conclusion. The older woman leaned closer, close enough that she could whisper to Liana, and looked her straight in the eye.

"When you meet me, tell me that you know why I came to this town - why I really came here."

She looked utterly serious.

"Tell me because the nightmares from 21 years ago won't leave me alone, and I want to lay them to rest. That I want to find out the truth of what happened back then."

Anna Vandemeel & Alexstrasza Lockhart

"O-oh! Anna!"

After a second or so of surprised silence, Shane's answer was bright and chipper - and followed by quick thudding of footsteps as the boy raced to the door. Soon enough his grinning face appeared right next to the older teen, and he waved cheerfully at the girl, looking quite pleased that she had come. The blonde youth, on the other hand, raised his eyebrows in a surprise, but soon enough adopted a grin of his own to match the magnitude of Shane's.

"Oh, so this is the girl you were talking to us about earlier, huh?" The blonde guy asked with a hint of mischievousness in his voice. "I see, I see~! Well she certainly seems as impressive as you said. No wonder you swore up and down how pret---Yeowch!"

The teasing words were cut off by a swift kick to the shins, causing the guy to reel back in exaggerated pain.

"N-nuh uh! I did not!" Shane protested, beet red on his face. "I-I just said she was cool and all! That's right, cool!"

Shane turned towards the older girl, still beaming even though the moment had left him a bit embarrassed.

"A-anyways, hey! What's up, Anna! My bro didn't say you were coming today!" Shane greeted her, seemingly quite excited and energetic, before shooting an annoyed glance at the guy next to him. "If he had, I doubt he'd have called these two bozos to come over... ugh..."

The blonde guy chuckled at the needling, but didn't seem to take it to heart. Instead, he "recovered" from the vicious attack that Shane had done and instead faced Anna, putting his hands on his hips and nodding at her in greeting.

"Well, for what's it for, nice to meet'cha, Anna from Pinefall. Sorry 'bout the weird greetings, didn't figure you were friends of Zane. Anyways, the name's Chase - Chase Chester. Though most just call me CC, since it rolls of the tongue better," the guy, apparently Chase, introduced himself. "And uh, sorry if we butted into your dinner plans with the Mitchell duo. But the thing is, the main man isn't here, unfortunately."

He folded his arms across his chest, and a bit more serious look came upon his face.

"Last night, we got a call from the guy. Said he'd be staying over at the country club on account of something happening there," CC explained. "During the call he asked us to keep an eye on his lil' bro too, so here we are. Y'know, make sure he doesn't burn the house down and all that."

Between the lines it was easy to read that Zane had asked the two to make sure his brother wouldn't get lonely.

"So yeah, we swung by and been just hanging about. Especially since the phonelines seem to be down and we can't give the main man a call. Though if you're friends with Zane, I'm sure he won't mind if you come in. Bet Shane would like that too-Whoops!" This time Chase was ready and managed to avoid the embarrassed boy's swing. "I just finished setting up the SNES in the living room and we've got couple controllers if you wanna tag in. Plus there should be some hot cocoa left. Despite his looks, Lane's pretty handy in the kitchen."

A loud:

"Screw you!"

Could be heard coming from inside the house.

"Modest about it, too." Chase smirked.

New Person Met!

Elise Marie Pelltier

"Mhm, that'd be me!"

The response from Billie was as powerful and loud as the woman's frame suggested - though it also came with considerable warmth and friendliness. She seemed the type that had a hard time hating anybody and was always in a good mood... but if you somehow her to a bad mood, she'd be a right nightmare. Still, at least the owner had seemingly immediately warmed up to Elise as she gestured her to sit down and even handed her a clean towel to get rid of the worst remnants of the rain.

"Though I always preferred the term 'groundskeeper'. Makes it seem so much grander, you know?" Billie chuckled as she started pouring coffee into a heat-resistant glass. "Sure enough the job description was mostly janitorial stuff, but Pinefall's a big place. And somebody has to keep the campus area looking good too, you know? Honestly, if the pay hadn't been so good, I might've just told them to shove it when they kept piling all that extra crap on my plate."

She chuckled at the thought, before smirking slightly apologetically.

"Whoops. Didn't mean to rant there," she apologized. "Always get going a bit when somebody brings up my Pinefall days. Though it's a very nice place, don't get me wrong."

Wait, did she just pour a good bit of whiskey into the glass with the coffee?

"Still, it's nice to hear that Jake still remembers me! Used to chase those kids off the weirdest places when they were still in school," Billie laughed. "A whole bunch of adventurers they were. Plus there were all those times I had to separate Nevada and one of the other boys, hah. They loved getting into fisticuffs over the smallest stuff. Though usually over girls."

She grinned at the thought and took a can of whipped cream from the shelf, spraying a copious amount of it on top of the glass as a float. Then she pushed the glass over to Elise and leaned back, folding her muscular arms over her chest.

"Anyways, here you go. One Irish coffee. Should help you warm up right nice and quick", the owner said, before busying herself with another order. "Still, you picked one hell of a weather to go for a walk. Just be glad you got inside before the storm really picks up. It's gonna be flying lightning, like they say. Or as some of the locals would put it, it's gonna be 'storming outta Thor's ass'."

A rather weird way to put it, but it certainly gave an idea of how bad the storm could get.

Still, while Elise sat there with her drink and listened to Billie talk while she worked, there was something else the brunette noticed from the corner of her eye. Or rather, noticed in the mirror hanging from the wall, beyond the counter. In its reflection, she could see back into the bar behind her...

--- And the fact that Travis was shooting some rather weird glares towards her back.

Glares that seemed to mix annoyance, confusion and... what was that third emotion? Relief?

Why would he even be relieved to see Elise?

Lucille Faraday

"Mm, let's."

With that, the two girls left behind the cold, rain-beaten, old half of the dormitory. They made their way through the ruined hallways, down to the first floor and then out of the door into the rain. It was sort of funny how that place, which had been more or less impossibly to get to in the first week, had become so widely used during this second one. After all, while there, Lucille had certainly seen signs of other people using the rooms as well.

Maybe they weren't the only members of the class hiding stuff.

"--- I think. That they. Are unable to feel. Emotions and stuff."

Xeni's words cut the howling winds as the two girls made their way towards the main entrance of the dormitory. Despite the rain and the thunder above, the mechanical girl seemed to have more words on her chest that she wanted to get out... especially since it looked like Lucille was someone who could sympathize - or at the very least listen to her.

"I'm not sure. Maybe they. Just didn't understand," Xeni spoke, and a slightly self-derisive smile spread to her face. "Maybe I'm. Too good. At infiltrating. Becoming the mask. But the point was. They were. Wearing a mask too."

For some reason, an annoyed glint appeared in the girl's eyes.

"Yet they. Didn't seem to understand. I broke contract. Revealed myself. But all they wanted to talk. Was my mission," she continued, pulling her jacket on her tighter. "My knowledge. My information. How much information I shared. With my 'mask'. When I was off no use. They went off. To find the real one."

She clicked her tongue, even though it was inaudible in the storm.

"Shows how much. Any friendship means. For person without. Love."

As if to echo her words, the sky above the two opened up and a bolt of lightning struck across the canopy, heading off somewhere towards the forest. Luckily, they had finally made it to the front door of the dormitory, and together Lucille and Xeni piled in and slammed the door shut behind them. Blessed warmth of the lived-in area of the building greeted them, bringing to mind immediate thoughts of changing into dry clothes - or in Xeni's case, fishing out a tootsie pop from her pocket.

Wait, had she been hiding it there the whole time?

"Errr..."

However, that wasn't the only surprising thing about the situation.

No, now that the two were inside, Lucille realized that they weren't alone. Indeed, in the lobby there were also two rather familiar figures. One of them had fought by her side last night. Another one had been her partner in crime in the Week that no longer existed.

Kean Loinnir.

And Hwan Bin.

And it seemed that the two of them had been in the middle of a hushed argument of some sort.

"Uhh..." Hwan grunted, looking at the soaked girls. "... What's up?"

“Vier”

Mud.

Mud was everywhere at this point.

Digging into the soaked ground of Ghostwood in a weather like this was just asking to soaked dirt up in your everywhing, as Vier found out. First there was a matter of clearing out the dead plant matter off her chosen spot, which meant that now her clothes and hair were full of old pine needles, but once the digging followed in the small, enclosed space, transporting the material out of her shelter was another thing entirely. The ground was soft, far too soft for any precise work, and thanks to the rain having soaked everything well before Vier had started her little camp, this meant that after only five minutes or so her hands and clothes were stained with dirt brown.

Not to mention the whole was far from perfect either.

That tunnel was just barely holding together. What she was working at this point was not really ground but packed mud.

And then there was the worse part.

--- Starting the fire itself.

What was there to use for dry kindling? Absolutely nothing. Even Vier's own equipment was completely wet from the storm, meaning that even had she wanted to, she couldn't have burnt her clothes.

But there was nothing else to do but try. So after piling what little wood she had, she started the thankless task of trying to light it up.

Minutes passed.

Dozens.

Maybe half an hours.

Her fingers were starting to become a bit numb.

It was hard to keep one's eyes open.

But she persisted.

... There.

Was that light? A flicker of flame perhaps? Did she smell smoke? Or was it all in her head at this point?

No, there definitely was something akin to a slowly growing spark inside the pile of wood, but it sputtered and struggled, barely able to stay alive.

And in the darkness of that single spark, Vier started to realize...

--- Despite the storm raging all around her, the only thing she saw at this point outside her shelter was pure darkness.

Like she had been lost into the night.

How long had she even been here?

Hours?

Days?

... Months?

The only thing to feel was the cold. The only thing to hear was the storm. The only thing to see was the darkness.

What was she even doing here?

Hey, Vier...

What are you even doing here?

Why did you come here?

Not into the forest, but to Pinefall to begin with?

Have you even worked on your mission? Have you even kept your goal in mind? That's what a proper professional is supposed to do, so did you actually do it?

Or were you too busy playing friends with Aleen, only to then sulk and mope about it? Get distracted by all the sorts of things you then abandoned, threw away when you started feeling guilty about them?

It's like you've been running around in circles this whole time, Vier.

As usual.

That's what you always do.

No wonder you're stuck here now, freezing and wet.

Lost in the darkness.

You made sure you were independent, that everyone else stayed away, so this is what you get.

Just you.

A dying fire that was never even born.

And nothing else. Utter blackness.

So let's enjoy it, shall we?

After all.

This is the future you chose.

-------- "Vier."

Hisa Momoi & Prushka

Crashing lightning.

As the taller girl stares down the mist-like memory of the doctor, the shorter one makes her move. She shot forward with speed that left behind all thought. Prushka's charge went beyond human limitations and straight into the realm of something truly supernatural. In that moment, as she bulleted towards Utujoutsi with the speed of a deific lightning, for a moment she understood what a viewpoint such a deity must have had. The world in stop-motion looked much different from the regular one, to the point she was making out shades of colours she didn't even have name to.

Her world smelled of burning ozone.

Her frame had become conduit for this levin spear.

--- Her being sang the body electric.

But as the time started to move again, as she reached her target within a fraction of a second, she saw something alarming in her expanding vision of light particles. The eyes of the doctor. They were finally starting to open. And as they did, she saw a flash of something. Of strange irises. Of strange colours. Of strange movements.

He saw her.

Even at this speed, he saw her.

Like some sort of monster.

However, it was too late to stop.

Brandishing the knife, Prushka bulleted into the chains of inky blackness and the man holding them, swinging down and making the lightning itself sing with her as she descended from her split-second flight. Leaving behind a sonic boom that scattered clouds of cosmic dust, she crashed into her target like a meteor.

And as she did, Dr. Utuoutsi lifted up his hand.

As if to meet her attack.

And at that same moment.

As the blade skewered the extended, gloved hand.

A dark light flared up.

"That's quite enough."

Utter Darkness.

Pure black.

Absence of all illumation.

From the hand that Prushka had scewered, this darkness spread forward. It shot upwards, downwards, left and right. Like the surface of a mirror or a frozen lake, it spread into every direction, completely swallowing up it's share of the cosmos. It was an impossibly tall, impossibly wide wall that continued to the infinity of the internal world that they were now in. A surface like the deepest, blackest TV screen that either girl had ever seen, with only their own reflection staring back from it.

But that was not all.

As the Black Wall cut through the cosmos, it also cut through the battleground. Both Prushka and Hisa, too late, realized that the wall cut them off from each other. It neatly divided the battlefield, splitting through even the pillar and separating the sun and moon from each other. The world wavered for a moment, quaked as if in pain, and then settled back once more.

The battlefield had been cleft in twain by an infinite black screen.

As Prushka beheld this sdudden change, she realized something. In the reflection where she had stuck her weapon, the bleeding hand of Dr. Utujoutsi was still gripping the knife that she had used to skewer it. Not only that, but its fingers had wrapped around the blade that now went through it, effectively capturing the blade in his grasp. The gloved hand tensed up, and there was sudden feeling of force. Before she even realized what was happening, the hand shot out from the reflection in the Black Wall, thrusting the girl and her weapon backwards.

And what followed was something absurd.

A volley of black chains, shooting out from the wall, like hungry snakes, all heading to her direction.

It was a maelstrom of ink-like steel, spinning like a hurricane and ready to entraped her and chain her up, capture her and rip her apart in that whirlwind of darkness.

And after them...

--- Stepped out Dr. Utujoutsi.

Straight out of the black mirror, like his reflection had always been his real self.

He looked at the bloodied glove on his hand and smiled.

"You forget where we are. What I am here, child."

And then he watched the dance of ink-like chains as they fell upon Prushka like rain.

However, even at that moment, there was something Prushka realized.

Like this place had been whispering to her.

--- She could defeat this.

Like she had been, in this moment, in this place, limitless.

But why...?

--- And at that very same moment.

Hisa watched on, Dr. Utujoutsi let out a satisfied little sigh and cracked his neck. He separated his hand from the wall that he had created, taking a couple of steps backwards. He wiped some remnants of blood away from his glove before turning his attention to the girl in the distance. There was a considerable distance between the two of them even now. The only difference in the battlefield had been cut in half length-wise. A sound of crashing metal could be heard from the other side, but aside from that, it was like they had entered a whole other world of their own.

"Quick on the uptake, then? You sure as smart as he remembers," Utujoutsi smiled as his left hand made a strange gesture in the air. "Playing it cool as well. It's a very good attitude to have. Though do be careful. When you are so cocksure and sure of your superiority..."

His smile twitched a little.

Then.

Out of nowhere.

He slammed his hand into the Black Wall.

"--- You invite defeat."

The wall morphed, undulated and roared.

It was suddenly like a living, grand, terrifying thing.

And without any warning...!

It turned into a rippling tidalwave crested by crimson!

A crashing vertical tsunami, like reality had been rotated by 90 degrees!

An all-eating force of pure darkness, roaring towards Hisa and the redhaired man.

Intending to swallow everything in its path...!

However, even at that moment, there was something Hisa realized.

Like this place had been whispering to her.

--- She could defeat this.

Like she had been, in this moment, in this place, limitless.

But why...?

Wise-Up!

World Administration Privileges rerouted.

Current Rule model does not apply.

Current display model incompatible.

Status in flux.

Unable to resolve.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; May 20th, 2022 at 06:06 AM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

She listens.

Just like earlier this week, when someone shows her even a tiny glimpse of their heart, it captures her attention like nothing else really can, the admittance of pain that she doesn't believe should be ignored by those that hear it. Indeed, violet eyes train themselves on the older woman with mild curiosity at first, obvious interest in the person that was showing the most blatant reaction to her claims, before that curiosity deepens to something else...

Interest in a friend's troubles, the fact that she was being entrusted with something the woman clearly kept close to her heart, even if only in the shape of what seemed to be lingering wounds.

Nightmares.

It's hard to get people to admit to pain, even now, it's probably something done just as much out of pragmatism as anything else, but some trust must also exist alongside it and she will respond to trust with trust, after all...

"Okay. I'll make sure to tell you."

Isn't that how friendships are crafted? Isn't this exactly what she had been talking to Zane about a few minutes ago?

An opportunity to help a confidant had appeared, she'd have to be a fool and a hypocrite not to pay attention to it.

"But Qui Mao..."

She frowns.

"I see..."

One of the Pinefall Staff.

Of course the teachers are in on it...

"No wonder you didn't want to crash at Pinefall, I thought it was just because the place is one-hundred percent wired to record the people in it, but having members of a secret, probably evil organization directly on the staff list... That definitely makes it a more complicated place to sleep at and still feel safe..."

She pauses here, the chipper spark that had been in her eyes dimming with contemplation, white flames dimming alongside it slightly, as if its ebbs and flows were tied directly to her emotions, flicker of black -yin- dyeing the aura a darker shade of grey for a time, before...

"I should remember all of this next time."

She makes the declaration, even though she isn't entirely certain this is actually the case... There's some evidence that it is of course, from what she could tell the return of memories had to do with Muse and her possession in the forest of the subconscious, so the fact that she had a connection to Muse seemed to imply that would be the case, but...

There was no way to know for certain until it happened, and dying was...

Dying is... Pretty Awful...

Certainly not a pleasant experience to consider...

Even so...

"So I'll definitely come get you early, see if I can find you at the beach, do you remember how early you were there?" Deciding not to reveal anything the woman had told her through whisper, the young woman instead smiles warmly to reassure her, "My boss is the sort of guy that knows I'm going to call him before I do, so if things work out for me, I might have a more... Personal base next time around, one that I know hasn't been tampered with, so I could keep you from having to camp outside all week. Could take a few people really, if I can get him to send me the big one..."

She smiles, the silver light returning to it's cheerful dance and color, warmth reaching out to envelop Fio as well, now that she's come so close.

"Could be fun, right? RV Buddies~"

Can't live a completely joyless life after all~

"Having someone around to appreciate my cooking might be nice, and breaking into this WUOTAN place... Well, definitely better to do it in a group than by yourself, going by yourself is how you get locked in an off-the-books cell somewhere..."

Probably being tortured, they always want to know you found em...

Makes sense, but also never pleasant.

She sighs at the thought, suppressing the shiver that threatens to run down her spine, then looks around at everyone else with an apologetic smile, more than aware that she and Fio probably looked a bit crazy to the majority of them.

"Sorry if we're not making that much sense by the way guys, I'll explain better later on, promise. Supernatural is a sort of complicated topic."
    Last edited by Airen; April 26th, 2022 at 09:20 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

A wall of blackness divides the endless space in two.

"Urk-!"

The Dragon shoots out from beneath my feet, flying past Utujoutsi as he arrests my momentum with one hand. It's all I can do to tens my muscles so that my elbow doesn't snap from the strain of the sudden stop. Lightning crashes against itself. Muscles lock up, and in that moment...

"Waaaaah!?"

The world spins. My stomach and head spin with it. Was I just thrown? What kind of - no, of course, it's not an actual human, so even this wouldn't be out of the question! The human body wasn't made to fly like thiiiiiiis!

In slow motion, as I flail about with no way to put to work the lightning coursing through me, the words echo from below:

"You forget where we are. What I am here, child."
    Just like that, the black mirror ripples. From the space between reflected light the darkness writhes and emerges as inky chains.

A stain on this world.

No, the stain is me. And they're going to blot me out.

"Guh-!"

No way. Not a chance. There's no way I'm leaving Ahti at the mercy of this guy!

"I haven't forgotten a thing, you jeeeeeeeeeerk!"

The Dragon swoops around, returning on its own, engines blazing, following the bidding of the fragment of Black Technology in my other hand, being squeezed as hard as a teenage girl can squeeze.

I reach out and wrap my knife-hand around it, just in time for-.

A rain of black chains to slam against the frozen lake, where I'd been just about to land head-first.

Close. Too close. That could've been it. Could still be it. There's no warm-ups like with Mr. Kullervo. Each one of those chains could be a death sentence.

How is he doing that? From pure fear? Are the rules of this world just different somehow? Does that mean others can do the same thing?

Doesn't matter in the slightest. No time to think now. Just follow your instincts. Follow the scream of my soul that tells me I have to stop him.

Clambering up atop the Dragon as it zooms away from the wall, I cut to the left, forcing it to stop and turn. There is distance between us once more, but now the Doctor is protected by the wall and the countless tendrils emanating from it, slinking across the surface of the lake towards me. The red on his glove catches my eye, as do his bright irises.

"Hah... hah... even here... where feelings are reality... you're bleeding."

That clinches it. Fear isn't invincible. By taking the form of a person, it also takes on the vulnerabilities of one. You can't kill an idea, but you can slay a man. Thanks, Hisa. Of course, that goes for me as well. No matter what strange properties this combined world may have, it's still following the common sense of two men. So gravity exists, and if a young girl is torn apart by black chains, that'll be it.

Even so, a tiny voice says 'you can defeat this'.

"You forget who I am, Doctor."

Behind me, the moon glows in its prison. You're watching, aren't you, Ahti? Then keep your eyes peeled.

"I am the Puppy. Sixteenth of the Investigators. Clairvoyant of the buried id."

The blade is raised, pointing between Utujoutsi's eyes. With the lightning crackling in my eyes, it almost looks like Kullervo's sword, its metal eagerly devouring the blood of its prey.

"I am living proof that human evolution isn't selfish. In my world, no brother or sister or daughter or son cries alone. In my world, he doesn't have to be afraid. And..."

The Dragon's engine revs to the fullest, blasting hot air to each side as it charges once more.

The distance between us rapidly closes. This battle will be over in an instant. Just need to get past the chains. Evade the slower ones. Bat aside those that can't be dodged. Grit those teeth and endure the ones that can't be deflected!

"...in my world..."

A hard kick to the ground sends the levin-empowered Dragon soaring upwards. It twists, flipping the world upside down, weaving to the left and right to avoid attacks from above and below.

Find it. The open angle where his reactions will be slower. The gap in the chains through which only divine lightning can pierce. He'll see you coming for sure with those eyes. That's fine. You just need to attack from outside his vision.

"...in Ahti's world..."

The blade in my hands rears back, tension at its highest. It has to be that. The move Boss taught me to fight opponents with impregnable defenses. The one he said a young girl would never be able to pull off properly. But that's fine. I'm not the same girl I was last week. This time there is someone to fight for.

It snaps forward. Steel flickers and bends and twists like a beam of light.

Again.

And again.

And again.

"There's no place in our world for an awful human like you!"

Elaine Winters

"Bah," I said brashly, "I don't have the slightest bit of insecurity about me, ask John, I'll sit and whine about my problems all day if you give me half a chance."

I chortled, smiling boldly.

"It's probably just a measure of societal norms pressing down upon the natural inclination of young men to 'act like men', in the stereotypical fashion of being tough and stoic, trying to look cool when you're falling apart inside. Conceal, don't feel."

I smirked, "Don't act like a big sissy girl, right?"

I laced my fingers behind my head, "Don't gotta worry about ol' John-boy here, though, he's the sensitive type, just waiting for the right sort of girl to go ahead and moon over all day, hm? Sweet-face Xylia probably chewed him up real good."

I relentlessly bully the organizer with an air of light-heartedness.

I do this and deliberately leave myself open for a counter-attack, should he so desire.

For all her faults, Elaine Winters is something of a 'people person'.

"Tch, 'do we have a car', she says, girl, we have 'The Car', Steed among Steeds, forged in the forgotten ironworks of old Detroit!"

There's a majority of down-beat characters, so I'll have to form ranks with Ubon and be a ridiculous extrovert.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Location: Pinefall High Dormitory – In Front of Sakura Tsukioka’s Room (2nd Floor, Room 107)

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon
    “You just can't help it, huh Johnnie?”
    “The alternative would be ignoring Sakura and pretending she is not an attractive woman,” John counters. “Of course, if you can tell me what option makes me less of an embarrassment, I’m all ears.”

Suddenly—well, not really—the conversation takes a tricky turn into the nature of the male psyche. Quietly, prudently, John listens to Elaine her points. In a kind world, that would be the end of that and he would be spare having to participate in such an exchange, but John Dove knows better than that by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru
    “Say, Mr. Dove? Are the boys of our class insecure? I have to admit, it was not a possibility I entertained.”
    A serious question deserves a serious answer. John looks down at the Japanese girl, letting his serene expression show he is honestly pondering her inquiry.

“…Miss Iburi; recently, my confidence in my ability to read other people has taken several blows.” Of varying intensity. “That is why I’ll refrain from speaking for my fellow male classmates.”

Yes, that’s probably the wise thing to do.

“As for me, that is most certainly the case. Every single waking moment I spend doubting my ability to achieve anything. I question my every single thought, word, and action.”

That he does.

“‘What is the right course of action and the right choice of words for this specific context?’ I am constantly wrecking my mind trying to figure that out. On average, the results leave much to be desired, as proven by the fact that I was deemed a suitable candidate for this school.”

A self-deprecating chuckle escapes his lips.

“Even now, I cannot help but wonder if this honesty was the correct choice,” he admits. “Perhaps I should have brushed the question aside with empty platitudes, an attempt at a joke, or a flirtatious comment devoid of true feeling.”

He shows an odd smile as he turns his gaze towards Elaine.

“But I decided that the one thing I cannot allow myself is to do nothing.”

For the umpteenth time this week, the sight of the woman in front of him prone on the ground, bleeding out of the multiple holes bore by another classmate’s bullets, fills his mind. Rationally speaking, there was probably nothing he could have done against the ancient alchemist that would have spared Elaine from that suffering. The problem is not that he made things worse; it’s that he did nothing—throwing weightless words incapable of swaying a blade of grass, while letting Elaine bear the brunt of Ramalsaqr’s violence. Even a clumsy tackle would have been better, righter. Ramalsaqr would’ve shot him, and that would’ve been one less bullet striking Elaine’s flesh.

“I can live with my mistakes, but not with my inaction.”

Never again.

“And that’s why I’m here, instead of locking myself in my bedroom waiting for better people than me to get us out of this mess.”

That odd smile sharpens into something closer to a smirk.

“And while I have no issue with listening to your whining about your problems all day, Elaine, you definitely know better than to expect problem-solving wisdom from the likes of me.”

John is not quite sure why Elaine is being so…talkative, and so insistent in this topic of boys and their feelings, but he does recognize the usefulness of lightening the atmosphere a little in this dreary weather and even drearier situation.

“My tastes in women aside, yes, it seems like I’m getting a lot of that ‘chewing’ this week. I acknowledge it has been useful, but it is certainly far from enjoyable.”

He shrugs, no longer consciously controlling his facial muscles, thus letting himself relaxed into a more natural smile.

“Well, I guess I should be grateful it’s only been words thus far, and not actual teeth, what with everything going on in this town.”

He sharply turns towards the smallest member of the group.

“I’m looking at you, Akita,” he warns, skillfully mock-glaring at Miss Iburi’s partner.

It is impossible to tell whether he is being serious or joking when he shows Tonkori the universal sign for “I’m watching you.” What an awkward young man, this John Dove. At least he didn’t make a lycanthropy joke; that should count as some sort of progress.

A properly-dressed, yet nonetheless attractive Sakura Tsukioka rejoins the group, and John takes this as his cue to leave.

“With that said, I’ll leave you to your adventure and join with Loinnir and Hwan Bin,” he says. “You know, considering the skewed ratio of boys and girls in our class, hanging out with those two will make for a refreshing change of pace.”

Yeah, sure, let’s look for a silver lining in joining the sausage fest. Nothing wrong with an optimistic John Dove.

“I don’t need to tell you this, but please take care of yourselves, and of each other. A whole bunch of people will be sad if something happens to any one of you, myself included.”

Spoiler:

“And yes, I do mean that.”
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; April 27th, 2022 at 03:37 PM.

Hisa Momoi & Prushka

"Tsk."

The rather unexpected move of the doctor surprised me enough that by the time I even considered reacting, the deed was already done. The darkness spreading from him as the source quickly engulfed much of the space, blotting out any light there was and splitting it clean in half. It was impossible to tell what was going on on the other side, and I had a feeling that trying to break through the wall would be ill advised. Hence, I could only hope that Prushka would be fine - and in the meantime, I had my own problematic memory figment to deal with.

Speaking of which...

"How unimaginative. A black abyss from which a chaotic crimson mess shoots out."

While quite unfazed by the events, I could not help but look slightly disappointed. For someone claiming to be a scientist, and an outstanding one to be at that, there seemed to be a considerable lack of creativity and innovation in his style. Mayhaps my expectations were just too high towards someone who worked on such an ambitious scientific project.

"Well, I guess it's a good start."

For a brief moment - most of what I could afford with the crimson waves approaching - I visualized the scene that this black abyss could be spun into. Then, raising my foot slightly to slam my heel back into the dark floor below, the change starts. The scenery born in my mind becomes real at a rapid pace. Much more real and evident than it would be outside of such a place. More than just an elaborate illusion, a trick played on the mind.

The darkness that spread was much thicker. No longer was it just like a veil of shadow in the midst of the empty space. A mere facade that could be battled by the most feeble source of light. It was as the ocean trapped under the ice took over the cosmos above, spreading far beyond comprehension as the endless depths replaced the abyss. Not that it was possible to see too far in the suffocating, oppressive body of water in the first place. It was darker than the darkest nights, and along with the absolute lack of light came the pressure, the feeling that one's body could be crushed under the weight of water any moment. The pressure, the density that dampened any sound, but rather than settling for a peaceful silence, it filled one's ears with the most dreadful sounds. Even my brightly glowing attire was barely more than a dim light, like a tiny luminescent fish in the middle of the neverending depths.

The eerie embrace of the deep sea.

Should have been enough to counter his attack, to make it disperse into its surroundings. Of course, something of this scale was an overkill just for that, but that wasn't really point of it anyways...

Raising my arm, I press my fingers against the invisible barrier surrounding me, my form reflecting faintly on the water around.

Yeah, the point was different. This was different. Back at the beach a few days ago I showed Pyry how beautiful the ocean could be. A treasure hidden from the eye, the bustling life of countless exotic creatures just beneath the surface. The mesmerizing grand blue that is hard not to fall in love with.

My fingers move, curl into a fist, and the scene starts shifting again. While nigh impossible to see, it's easy enough to sense as the empty, pitch black sea becomes alive. To sense the creatures unknown moving around slowly, so close, yet so far when one can barely see further than a meter or two. The alarming feeling at the back of one's mind that while they are almost blind, there might be dozens, hundreds of eyes watching their moves from the dark. Any of which could belong to the most nightmarish creatures. Beings that humanity has never encountered, for reaching for space was less challenging of a task than exploring what lurks deep below. Uncertainty from the lack of knowledge that makes the mind trick itself into seeing massive silhouettes and worse where there is none, to imagine unearthy sounds where there is only silence.

A different side to the same coin. On one hand, the most beautiful thing as a whole that the Earth can give, and on the other...The most unnerving, spine-chilling experience that many would likely not even want to think about.

"I reckon this would be more apt for what true fear is."

The large body of something swims past the barrier, so close that I can touch it as I extend my fingers once more, and feel the cold, slimy touch of scales that seem to be larger than me from head to toe. My lips curl into a faint smile as I turn my gaze towards it but for a moment, before looking back in the direction of my opponent. Then, it disappears back into the darkness, concealing any signs of it existing in the first place.

Of course, in the end, this is all still somewhat pointless. Trying to incite fear in a being that does not even really exist, let alone have feelings, is likely a futile effort. The tragic nature of this, that the place where I can make these illusions almost blend in with reality is the place where I would face someone who would barely be affected by the atmosphere of such a scene.

Still, there was more to this than just emotional, or psychological horror. More evident, direct and dangerous aspects to it that could hardly be circumvented with just a lack of emotions.

Such as what was approaching the doctor even now.

What he was likely still unaware of, but would find out soon enough.

Last edited by Cheetose; April 28th, 2022 at 05:21 AM.

Elise Marie Pelltier

Elise took a seat by the counter and happily accepted the towel. She pulled off her backpack and coat, and set them aside on the empty seat beside hers, and took a moment to dry herself off as best she could as she watched Billie prepare her drink.

"Groundskeeper Billie does have a nice ring to it..." agreed Elise.

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Boulders
    "Still, it's nice to hear that Jake still remembers me! Used to chase those kids off the weirdest places when they were still in school. A whole bunch of adventurers they were. Plus there were all those times I had to separate Nevada and one of the other boys, hah. They loved getting into fisticuffs over the smallest stuff. Though usually over girls."
    Going to weird places and getting into fights... that's how the Last Class ended in the Worrywell Grove... I'm pretty sure Billie wouldn't have been able to break up that particular fight if she'd been there though... thought Elise sadly.

Billie Boulders was undoubtedly strong, but she probably wasn't strong enough to wrestle Nevada in a suit of biological armour and separate him from the rest of the group like she normally would. Probably.

"Sounds like they were a fun bunch, even if they were a bit of a handful. Jake mentioned that you used to keep them from sneaking into the old dormitories back in the day. Well, before they were renovated and we moved into them."

It feels hard to reconcile the strict guardian Jake described with the woman who just poured a generous amount of whiskey into my drink. One thing's for sure though. Billie is the best.

"How long were you the groundskeeper at Pinefall for?" asked Elise excitedly, "For that matter, do you know why the dormitories and the second floor of the main building were boarded up like that? Do you know what's in there?"

Quote Originally Posted by Billie Boulders
    "Anyways, here you go. One Irish coffee. Should help you warm up right nice and quick", the owner said, before busying herself with another order. "Still, you picked one hell of a weather to go for a walk. Just be glad you got inside before the storm really picks up. It's gonna be flying lightning, like they say. Or as some of the locals would put it, it's gonna be 'storming outta Thor's ass'."
    Elise's eyes widened as she happily accepted the Irish coffee.

"Oh, thank you!" exclaimed Elise.

She cradled the glass in her hands for a moment, letting the heat from the coffee warm her hands before she took a cautious sip.

This is so much better than that horrible coffee based concoction I made last week with too much cream and that tuna and chili flavoured juice I made last week, thought Elise as she took a moment to savour the drink.

"This is wonderful! Thank you!" cheered Elise, "The weather in the morning looked pretty ominous, for sure, but I wasn't about to spend my first weekend here cooped up in the dormitory. I thought the storm might've held off for a little bit longer, but I guessed wrong there. Still, glad I was able to find shelter here, for sure. Thank you, again!"

Elise took another sip out of her drink.

"Storming out of Thor's, uhm...? That's, uh, quite the local expression."

Elise glanced out the window, and at the storm beyond the bar.

"It sounds pretty accurate though..." admitted Elise, "Do you often get storms like this here?"

Storming out of Thor's ass... Samuel said that the Kincaids brought their gods and traditions with them... I wonder how prevalent they are or were in Road's End? They certainly sound like they've gone and made some new traditions with their whole werewolf cult thing, but they said that Ulf carries the blood of Geri, so presumably its still rooted in their older traditions? wondered Elise.

She caught a glimpse of Travis in the mirror on the wall beyond the counter, shooting some rather odd glares in her direction.

He definitely looks a little annoyed and confused that I showed up here. There's definitely some mutual awkwardness there, but... he does seem a little relieved to see me? I guess we can all use a friend in a storm, although what is up with that green haired girl with the eyepatch? wondered Elise, I was a little worried that he might've gotten that beer with a fake ID or something, and I didn't want to risk outing him as a Pinefall student and getting him into trouble, but it's clear that Ms. Boulders is both a generous spirit, and generous with spirits.

Blog Entries

Liana Skye

"I'll be at the beach early. Very early, as soon as the sun is up. However, I'll be... keeping low profile. And if I spot you first, I'll probably try to hide. So you'll have to deal with that."

Fyrtio's words were still clear in Liana's head as the hotwired car (clearly belonging to a certain teacher) rounded the corner of the street and slowed down to the driveway of a familiar clinic. Zane, who had been driving, gazed at the house with a strange hint of apprehensio and respect, like he had known what truly lay inside, but did not fully trust it. Or perhaps he did not trust the idea of what the owner of the house really was. And if he did have an idea, who could blame him? Fae were notoriously fickle, so for someone who had lived in this town a long time they were a much more lasting problem than to a recent arrival.

Behind them, through the rain, Liana could see the headlights of the government issue vehicle as it slowly followed them, coming to a halt right next to them on the driveway as well. The group that was far less tied to the supernatural had been certainly looking a bit confused back at the country club, but thanks to Agent Ferguson taking it all in stride and being satisfied with the promise of a later explanation, it seemed that others had calmed down as well.

Which had eventually allowed them to leave, and which had now led them here. The first stop on their little trip.

--- The Canseliet Clinic.

Jack's condition hadn't worsened even during the car trip, but it hadn't improved either. Sierra, as quiet as ever, sat in the backseat with his father and gently kept a hold of his hand. Fyrtio was on the other side, her eye scanning the surroundings like only a person who expected enemies around every corner could. It was almost as if the country club had been - ironically enough - a safe place for her and that's why she had allowed herself to react. Now that they were in the town proper once more, she was acting like a wolf skulking through another pack's territory.

Not that she didn't have a point. Road's End was, at the end of the day, a dangerous place.

"We're here," Zane grunted as he turned off the engine. "Feels like the storm's picking up, so we should make sure she's home and then rush boss--- Wait."

He paused, blinked in surprise, and then squinted his eyes to see through the rain.

"... Who's that?"

Through the windshield lay the now-familiar scene of the small house clinic, enveloped in rain and howling winds. However, there was one thing in the scenery before the group that felt out of place. And that was the sight of a humanoid figure standing on the roof of the building despite the fury of the storm, almost like they neither cared or were bothered by the torrential rain.

It took Liana a few seconds to realize who it was.

--- Tris.

She was standing on the roof, cloak protecting her body, hood pulled up, and eyes glued to the horizon like she had been keeping watch.

Or looking for someone.

Elise Marie Pelltier

"It is, isn't it? The town was started by a bunch of nordic settlers from what I hear, so guess they knew what they were talking about, hah!"

Billie grinned a little bit.

"Still, yeah, storms like this happen every now and then. They're pretty common in the early fall, before the winter hits," she explained, nodding towards the only window in the bar that looked outside. "I think it's because we're nestled in this little pocket between the mountains and the ocean... but then again, hah, I was never any good at school, so what do I know! I just know that when the leaves start changing, it's best to keep your rain gear at hand."

The jovial laughter that followed clearly told that Billie was in a good mood, despite the rain. It seemed that Elise's gratitude and compliments had immediately warmed the owner up to her, which was certainly not a bad thing. Considering this place was one of the few metaphorical ports in the literal storm, being able to get along with Billie was a big step forward. Not to mention it might make her more talkative about certain subjects.

As she worked, the older woman shook her head a little bit in further amusement.

"It's why I started working at Pinefall straight outta high school, actually. Or, if you wanna put it in truthful terms, I barely graduated and then got offered the post out of pity. But ah, like I said, I didn't hate working there," the owner explained... until her face took a more serious turn. "As for those boarded up places... well, uhh... let's just say that there was a time when Pinefall itself was closed for a while. About a year after I started, actually. Some stuff went down, the whole school had to close. I spent those years abroad, got these---"

She tried to lighten the mood by patting her massive biceps.

"--- And when I got back the place reopened up again. Though there were couple of places that were deemed more or less unnecessary, so they were just closed off and left at that," Billie continued. "Truth to be told, it's not like town had the money to renovate the place fully at the time. As to why Daniel - that is, your current principal - didn't do so... well, I think that's a question to ask from him. Heck if I know!"

... Well, she might have gotten more talkative, but it was easy to notice that despite her simplistic and jolly demeanor, Billie Boulders was also quite adept and steering clear of topics that she didn't want to delve too deep into. While she had technically answered Elise's questions, she had also completely side-stepped the part about knowing what was actually in the closed-off sections of the school. Then again, if she had to side-step the issue...

She probably knew.

Suddenly, the large woman leaned closer - perhaps to pivot fromt he topic further, perhaps because genuinely curious. At least that grin on her lips looked very genuine.

"That being said..." She continued with a hushed voice so only Elise could hear. "What's up with the eye-game you two keep playing? Something I can help you with? Should I throw the guy out?"

She subtle nodded towards Travis.

Prushka
    Round 2, Turn 1.

"------!?"

Lightning weaved a chorus of singing steel, cutting through rain of black chains that threatened to consume Prushka. As the proud dragon moved like a hurricane through the torrent of shadow and iron, it closed in on the mist-like figure of the implacable memory of an implacable man - and in a moment of a second stretching into eternity, Prushka could see his eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

He hadn't expected her to reach him. Not this early, not this quickly. He had been planning on keeping her at bay with that machine gun-like barrage of tendril attacks.

But this close, they could not strike her anymore - not in the way they had swarmed her before.

And that's why, as the flurry if lightning strikes pierced through the veil of chains that served as his shield, the levin-licked girl found her opponent completely defenseless.

--- And that's why, her continued flurry of attacks descended upon him like a rain of whole other kind.

Black blood.

How fitting for a man with a pitch black heart.

As the dagger sliced into his incorporeal flesh, it drew out the essence of this trauma and made it lesser, eating away at its power to stop them from tearing down that dread serpent that still loomed in the distance.

However---!

Out of nowhere, the lightning was repelled.

The rest of the flurry of attacks were parried.

Not by flesh or blade, but by shadows that had grown out of the man's fingertips, his limbs, his hair and his body. It was like his whole body was half-melted into unfurled coils and sheets of jet-black void that barely existed in three dimensions. A memory losing it's corporeal, concrete form and becoming something more symbolic, something more allegorical to the true fear that gripped the two brothers in its grip. It truly wasn't just the man who they were fighting against, but what he represented in the hearts and minds of Ahti and Pyry.

And still...!

"... It's funny."

Dr. Utujoutsi, bathed in his own blood, said so calmly - and spat out that black bile that Prushka had drawn out of him.

"In reality, I do not have all these abilities you lot do. I've not been tainted as you animals of Turnside have been," he said, a hint of true disgust in his voice - one almost warbling on the side of fury. "The only thing I can do is a little trick."

Again, it shines...!

"I can put my full attention to unlimited things at the same time."

The origin of that visual - the origin of those sinister eyes.

The capability of utterly devoting one's focus to as many things as they wanted - at the same time.

An ability truly befitting of a scientist...

... And truly nightmare-like in a situation like this.

"Like how to parry you. And how to counter-attack."

They rose.

Those black tendrils, out of Dr. Utujoutsi's body. They rose and they shot out, latching onto Prushka and wrapping around her frame, as if to strangle her and as if to engulf her. They were cold to touch, so could that it was burning, and they showed no mercy as they began their task to rip the girl apart.

This was it.

She had gotten too close and couldn't retreat in time.

These tendrils would tear her limb from limb and...!

...?

Wait.

Why...

It hurt, but...

Her body was still far from breaking.

In fact...

Why did she still feel like there were tons of ways she could break out of this stranglehold of darkness?

[Prushka: Withstood the attack!]
    [Defeat of "Prushka" by attack of this magnitude considered: Impossible.]
    [Rewriting World Logic to match.]

Hisa Momoi
    Round 2, Turn 1.

"What----!?"

By the time the doctor realized it, it was already too late. In the darkness, a shadow even darker than the surrounding primordial depths filled his field of vision, blotting out even the tiniest hint of light that had existed so far. Massive jaws, far bigger than either human that existed in this ocean, opened up and revealed rows upon rows of spear-like teeth, jagged and cruel. Eyes of a primal hunter, a creature that was neither real or unreal, looked down upon the morsel that had been placed before it - and before the prey could even begin to summon a counter-attack, it had clamped down.

The jaws snapped shut.

The teeth found their mark.

The fangs drew black blood.

And the doctor was rended with unimaginable force as the monstrous predator of the depths lunged forward, pressing him against both the attack and the crushing depths of the deepest seas.

"Ghhhh...!"

As it turned out, even memories can feel pain, apparently.

The beast trashed about, trying to rip the doctor apart completely. He was caught between it's teeth, upper half barely sticking out of the monstrous fish's mouth, staring eyes wide at the horror that had caught him in its jaws. As he did, he couldn't even properly move his arms thanks to the beast trying to use the environment itself as a weapon to chain down it's prey, it's opponent, and to keep the water pressure as a prison to hold him down.

"A recreation of the horrors of the Barents Sea...!" Utujoutsi growled, glaring at the gigantic beast. "How fitting...! It's the darkness we made our home into, after all---!"

Despite being unable to move, there was something vicious about the doctor's smile.

Something that warned Hisa that this hit hadn't been fatal - though it had wounded him greatly.

And then it began.

Something else began to move.

Something equally - no - far more massive.

Something rising from the depths of the primordial ocean.

It rumbled, it groaned, and it made the earth itself groan with it as it rushed upwards, aimed straight at the gigantic beast currently trashing about with the doctor still in its grips...!

--- And then it struck with a force that was beyond imagination.

A mountain.

A mountain as black as midnight had risen from the depths of the ocean and skewered the monstrous fish, dwarfing even its size. The tip of the mountain, a spear of jagged rock as sharp as a blade, had went straight through the beast and pierced it, slamming the rest of the mountainside into it with the force of a meteor hitting the ground. It was bizarre, it was surreal, and it was well-within the rules of this imaginary realms.

More than that... Hisa recognized that mountain.

Of course, she had not seen it herself.

But she had heard of Pyry speak of it - and remembered his feelings at the same time.

This had to be the place where it all had started.

Sariola - The Wandering Mountain.

The base of Jukola organization, based upon the old legends left behind by the Witch of the North.

"Haha... hahahaha..."

Dr. Utujoutsi's laughter, stained by the blood clogging up his throat, echoed in the churning ocean.

"How fitting. To tame the primordial ocean, I merely need the memory of how we did it in the first place. The undefeated mountain and our prison of stone," the doctor spoke, eyes now fully focused on Hisa. "See, this is how it happens. No matter how dark, no matter how unknown... nothing is unknowable. Nothing is unreachable. Nothing is impossible. Not if you are willing to devote everything to it."

How was he still talking?

Right... he wasn't a real human being. Even though his memory had had a concrete form, that did not mean a thing. After all, just looking at him now made it clear that this was no real person that faced against Hisa.

--- Dr. Utujoutsi was missing everything below his waist. It had been rended and turned to clouds of black blood by the massive hunter.

But he still lived. Where his destroyed waist should have been bleeding with a rate unheard of, it was instead emitting shadows. Tendrils of pure black, miasma of condensed trauma and dread. It was like his true form was leaking out now that his human guise had been destroyed.

He truly was a stain of ink upon an otherwise unsullied canvas.

"And devoting everything to your goal..."

Suddenly, the doctor raised his arms.

"--- Is true progress."

And slammed them together.

Something rumbled again. It was the mountain, again. It groaned as if an earthquake had been shaking the ocean, gripping it tight and throwing it about like a madman. And as it did, something squirmed within the waves. Hundreds of something. Hisa, as she gazed on, saw glint of something metallic and precious start to appear around the base of the massive structure. It hungered just as the hordes of predators in the ocean hungered.

--- A metallic glow answered in kind to that hunger.

Roots.

Hundreds and hundreds of roots. Long as rivers and thick as buildings.

The Copper Roots of the Wandering Mountain, brought forth from their legend itself.

They squirmed and swarmed in the darkness and surged forth, each one aimed at one of the many beasts still hiding with the darkness of the ocean.

And good dozen of them...

Bulleted straight towards Hisa, threatening to pierce through her body just as the mountain had done to the monster---!

But even as they did...

It was like the reality itself was telling Hisa to have confidence.

Like the world around her believed that this attack was nothing compared to her.