Page 49 of 244 FirstFirst ... 39444748495051545999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka (BONUS)
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (FRI)
    Weather: Rain

Ow...

For a moment, my world turns white. I can't remember what just happened. Is it because I hit my head against something? It's aching a little, but the pain is fading, as is the white fog.

I blink. The fog completely clears up, but my forehead throbs. I can finally see!

See...

Why? Why did this come to pass? Could this tragedy have been averted somehow?

Whatever the case, the result is certain: I'm straddling a boy's chest with my arms planted on either side of his head, and our foreheads are touching, and I can see almost right through those big blue eyes and into the soul behind them, and... and...

"Uuuuu..."

There's no getting around it: this is humiliating. I'll have to go back and apologize to Subaru for accidentally lying, because I am most definitely on the verge of dying outright from pure embarrassment at the mess we've caused here.

"This... this is why humans are..."

Any train of thought I may have been trying to put together is immediately banished as Pyry's warm breath tickles my throat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyry
    "Erm... guys... this is..."
    "IT'S A TIE!"

Some self-preservation instinct that can sense imminent demise commands my body to move, and it does. I push with my hands and the world rights itself around me. For a moment dizziness takes hold and I pinwheel with my arms to keep from falling over backwards, but then the world rights itself and I'm standing over Pyry, for once staring down at him instead of the other way round.

Once more, as with the dummy, calm takes hold from within the depths of panic.

"It's a tie, so you didn't win!"

Yeah. Yeah! We got him! Sure, I lost my lunch, but he also lost my lunch, so the attack was a success!

I fold my arms, mostly to calm the shaking and the memory of warm breath on my throat as I try to formulate some more words. I cannot help but be aware, not only of those deep blue eyes, but also of the stares of everyone in the cafeteria. In a twisted way, it's an inverse of what happened yesterday with Colt and Xylia. Except, this time...

"Come on Hisa, Mr. Bully." I step aside and extend one hand, waiting for him to take it with those big, callused fingers, and get up like there's no problem. "This mess has to be cleaned up before class, or someone's getting detention for sure."

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

With my vision temporarily blocked, I couldn’t quite tell what was going on - but I could feel that it was nothing good.

Prushka’s shouts and the clinking noise of various dishware and utensils made me turn my head around for a moment - and seeing the girl up in the air, almost like flying, made me realize that things were about to go down in flames.

I buried my head back into the boy’s chest - it felt sort of nice - and hoped for the best.

But then, things seemed to suddenly get in motion, and - most likely with the combined effort of the two of us - Pyry, along with us, started falling.

I couldn’t quite regain my balance, it was already too late for that. Instead, I just closed my eyes and hugged the boy even more tightly - I was in the advantageous spot, and I knew that there was no way I would get hurt with Pyry acting as a buffer between me and the floor.

Once again, I couldn’t quite tell how things went down - a plate broke, most likely the one Pyry was holding, and we were now on the ground, surrounded by absolute silence.

But then, that was to be expected. It must have been quite a sight, but...It wasn’t necessarily something that I wanted to be part of, and I could only imagine what all the others were thinking about us right now.

And certainly, it is all Prushka’s fault. Just what was she thinking...What good could come out of jumping around like that? No, even before that, this all started because she was so easily provoked, and then Pyry got carried away…

I started realizing that something was not right, even for the standards of a situation like this. It felt like...My face was now touching cold, smooth skin, rather than the soft material of the boy’s sweater…

I opened my eyes --- then quickly closed them again.

I didn’t know how to feel.

It was embarrassing.

Yet sort of amusing.

“Prushka…” I spoke without raising my head - the feeling, the noise was...indescribable, but it couldn’t get any worse than this now anyways… “What have you done---”

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Prushka & Hisa Momoi (BONUS)

While it might have been silent, shocked and silent, in the cafeteria after the tangled up mess of limbs and flailing had fallen down backwards, now that wasn't the case anymore... not quite. Some sort of growing sound of amused snickering and joking whispers became a soft murmur that blanketed the cafeteria, causing even Pyry to scratch his cheek rather awkwardly with his finger. The boy was still sporting a quite luminous blush, but at the same time, the grin on his face was a one that basically said: "Welp! We went and did it now, huh?" Like he should have expected something like this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Prushka… What have you done---”
    "--- Hya!"

The oddest sound yelped out of Pyry's mouth as Hisa spoke into his mid-torso and his eyes went as wide as plates. Judging from the reaction, another weakness of the lanky athlete might have been found. Namely, he looked to be rather ticklish in the right places... and it most likely didn't help that someone was, at the moment, speaking right into his bare skin.

Of course, Pyry didn't get to be bashful about this for long when Prushka finally got her brains working again, exclaimed loudly about this all being a tie and finally jumping up, giving them all some much-needed breathing room. Maybe even the boy was able to relax just a bit, considering he had been stiff as a frozen board when their faces had been but an inch away from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "Come on Hisa, Mr. Bully. This mess has to be cleaned up before class, or someone's getting detention for sure."
    Surprisingly enough, it was Prushka who got back her bearings first. Pyry stared at the offered hand in a sort of dumbfounded way for a moment or two, before chuckling quietly and flashing another grin at the smaller girl. Without hesitation, he grabbed the offered hand, wrapping his fingers around her hand. Indeed, it looked like his hand had swallowed up Prushka's tiny one... but at the same time, there was no crushing force like one might have expected. Apparently, even when flustered and confused, the boy was being considerate of others.

"... Yeah, you got it right, Squirt," Pyry laughed and shook his head in amusement. "I admit, I went a bit too far there, so my bad. Tell you what, I'll clean this whole thing up since it was my fault to begin with."

He started lifting himself up from the floor (there was no way that Prushka's noodly arms could pull him up, though he did give her the illusion of helping him) when Pyry suddenly seemed to realize something he had forgotten. With an odd expression he looked down at Hisa, who was still clinging to him, her face hidden. In a way, Pyry looked both amused and confused, which is why he ended up poking the scarred girl to the side of her head.

"Errr, Hisanator? You okay there?" He asked. "Did you hit your head?"

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff (BONUS)
    Date: 08.09.1994(FRI)

After I made my suggestion, it got quiet. Not just quiet but uncomfortably quiet. Different from the uncomfortable silence and atmosphere from earlier, this one was “normal” and directed towards me. I saw Iburi and Tonkori stare at me flatly… Wait Tonkori was staring at me that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iburi
    "Umm... Miss Wolff, I am very honored but... erm... please do not refer to me with either of those. Not only do they sound insulting, they also make you seem like 8-year-old girl who tries way too hard to be cute. In other words, it does not fit you at all. Just as well those nicknames do not fit myself. If... if anything, please refer to me just as Subaru. No need to use my official title, I can allow that level of familiarity."
    Those words and tone that Iburi clearly didn’t like my nickname at all. I was just trying to be considerate of your country’s horrible and weird language. But my suggestion was not only shot down, but was so bad that they recovered the metaphorical pilot and then promptly executed him.

I turned my head towards to Aleen hoping that I would have some support. I saw the look on her face and I regret expecting support. Her face practically told me that she found my predicament to be absolutely hilarious.

However, Aleen wasn’t the final nail in the coffin. No, it was from a completely unexpected person. It was Tonkori’s condescending bark to me. A dog... Even a dog thought that my nicknames were horrible... At that, I just kind of slumped down onto the table. This was a new low for sure.

“Fine… My nicknaming sense is horrible, I’ll just stick to calling you Subaru then. Feel free to call me Vier or you can try coming up with a nickname.”

While slumping down on the table, I could see Pyry, Hisa, and Prushka talking before trying to steal each other’s food. Should I be worried that a food fight might break out? It should fine...

Blog Entries
    Vivienne Bianchi

The pounding of the against the rooftop and the windows was a quiet, constant reminder just as the clock on the wall that ticked away the seconds. Judging from the distant sounds that echoed in the hallway on the other side of the door, something was going on in the cafeteria. However, the hustle and bustle of the other students of First Class did not reach all the way to this tranquil sanctuary that Vivienne had found to herself.

There was just her and the slowly turning pages.

The ruffling of paper against fingertips.

The quiet breathing that was almost in audible.

Yes, nothing but her, the books and almost complete sile---

"...?"Well, perhaps that was a too hasty of a conclusion. Suddenly, Vivienne's senses picked up on something, a weird shuffling sound that was barely audible - almost like someone sneaking, skulking around. Turning her gaze from the book, she saw no one else in the library, however; the rows of shelves and the small maze-like pathways between them were empty, devoid of life and movement. Now that she perked her ears, even that sound had stopped. Had she simply imagined it all?

Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle---!

"...!"

No, she definitely hadn't! There it was again! A bit closer this time!

Whirling her head around, Vivienne was able to use her ears to pick up that miniscule sound that disappeared behind one row of books, along with a trace of a shadow, a silhouette, zooming from one end of the small library to the other by using the book shelves as its cover. Perhaps this strange intruder had thought they were clever and thus tried to fool Vivienne's eyes and ears, but there was no way she could be mistaken now. Just a second more and this intruder would come into a full view of...!

Nothing.

There was no one there.

Like the sound and the shadow had been but her imagination.

Almost as if there had been nothing there in the first place, and the quiet girl's nerves were getting to her. Certainly this small library, almost devoid of any sounds other than the rain, was a perfect ground to grow some good paranoia, but was that all that it had been? Mere tricks of the mind and her senses mistaking that for something real?

No.

It couldn't have been.

After all, this was a classic thing to happen in any horrow movie, especially those set on dark and grey days where rain poured from the skies in big droplets. While Vivienne had thought she had pin-pointed the intruder's location, that was just a misdirection - a feint. Following the rules and cliches of horror movies, the whatever it was that was trying to sneak up on her had to be...

... Straight behind her!

"---!"

Vivienne whirled around once more, ready to face whatever strange, folkloric creature had crawled from the pages of the book she was reading into reality and what she saw...

... Was not what she expected.

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

"Good morning, Miss Cheshire. Shame about the weather, eh? Well, what can I help you with this early? Was there something in yesterday's lesson that you were left wondering about?"

Adelaide tapped her fingers at her side, considering.

"Well... I don't really know anything about American literature, so I'm looking forward to what we were going to be reading. I guess, I was wondering what exactly that would be... I only know that Mark Twain and those sorts of people exist, but nothing about their works."

"Or, is it about the creative writing class? I know some of you were looking forward to it. Well, at the very least I was asked about it a few times. I guess it beats plain old essays, in a way. And to tell the truth, it's much more fun for me as well. Reading the stories young people come up with can be surprisingly fun."

The corner of Adelaide's mouth turned up. Here, in fact, was what she had been waiting for.

"I'm one of those people, for sure. I was actually coming here to ask you about that, honestly. I was thinking of doing some research on what I wanted to write about, when it rolls around... I thought maybe doing something with Norse myths would be interesting, and I was wondering if you had any idea on where to start looking...?"

She trailed off, looking earnest. All that she seemed to be was a student - slightly awkward, perhaps, but no worse for wear because of it - who had a great many ideas and not a clue on how to start putting them down on paper.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

"So, does this mean we should be careful what we say around you?"
    “Only if you do something obviously wrong to others,” Lucille said, slightly amused. While it was true that what Inacio had wasn’t wrong, she certainly didn’t feel that way. Although Mercedes said they were equals… that wasn’t a statement Lucille was comfortable with. Her stature was to either be above or below—and she had learned that assuming the former was much safer in the long run. “I’m not the type to get on someone’s case if they say things about me. It just means I need to conduct myself in a better manner, doesn’t it?”

In the end, it appeared her honest words had dissuaded them from making any sort of approach to Mercedes, which was… Not quite what Lucille intended, but then again, it was a perfectly fair response to what she had said. All in all, these two seemed like rather rational, composed thinkers. Normal, even.

Then again… that could be said of her, as well. But here, all irregularities were meant to be treated equally. No matter how normal everyone was, there was just an undercurrent, a slight hint that something was off.

Still, she liked this feeling of normalcy. It was the first time she’d ever experienced it. If it could stay that way…

Lucille shook her head and focused on the conversation again.

"I mean, you did say you also found people like Lucille... oh, how did you put again...? Ah, right. 'Inspirational'."
    “Me, inspirational? I’m flattered, but…” Accept praise with grace. That was what she was supposed to do, right? She was allowed to have confidence. The whole point of being here was to create a space for that sole reason. But though she rationally knew what had to be done…

Her heart resisted nonetheless.

Below. It was safer to be below.

Mercedes had told her that she shouldn’t try to live her life as if she was perfect. It was true, that people were incapable of being perfect. That she could agree with easily.

But Lucille knew for a fact she was meant to be perfect.

Failures shouldn’t be sources of inspiration,” she muttered under her breath. “Ah, I mean… there are plenty of people more radiant than I am. It’s lovely that you think of me in that way, but I don’t think I’m worthy of your admiration.”

Those words were said with a soft, polite tone, stained with the tinge of self-admonishment.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin
    Phase: Morning
    Phase Date: 08.09.1994 (FRI)

“Smooth ‘n rough, sour ‘n sweet, hot ‘n cold… Something like that.”

Colt fiddled with the ice pack a bit as he put out the wishy-washy answer.

“That thing with Xylia… that was most of the rough, sour and cold. You know, things just sort of spiraled out of control. All of the sudden someone’s bleeding, someone gets hit, a teacher shows up… that kind of thing really hangs over you.”

The boy scratched the back of his head, an action to fill a gap in his speech as he hesitated to go on.

“I haven’t really talked to many classmates after that… I took the first opportunity to just leave campus yesterday. I feel a little awkward, knowing they’re probably already talking ‘bout it and whatnot.” He forced a laugh at those words. “But I reckon that just plays into those files you’ve got, huh. So that’s what y’all’ve got on me… detachment from peers, reliance on imaginary friends…”

He glanced to the side, trying not to face the problem head on.

“Guess I’m me, no matter where I am.”

Condensation on the surface of the ice pack dripped down his knee, dripping down onto the floor. Colt let his eyes follow that trail, looking down at the floor idly for a moment.

“So I figure you think I’ve got bigger problems than a banged up knee, and I should probably stick around after school and try to talk to some more classmates but… it’s like, y’know.”

He fiddled with his hair some more, before looking back up, then down again.

“… It’s not so easy. And I've gone and made it even harder.”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka (BONUS)

"... Yeah, you got it right, Squirt. I admit, I went a bit too far there, so my bad. Tell you what, I'll clean this whole thing up since it was my fault to begin with."
    "Nuh-uh."

Does he think he's gonna get away with it that easily? No way!

"It's all three of our faults, so we're all cleaning it up. That means..."

"Errr, Hisanator? You okay there? Did you hit your head?"
    "C'mon, Pyry. If anyone hit their head here, it's you. Hisa just got a face full of belly... wait a sec, was that your plan!? Hisa, there's pushy and then there's this. C'mon!"

I feel ridiculously calm now. Maybe we passed through and ended up in the eye of the storm. Or perhaps all my adrenaline is just spent, and I no longer have the energy to get excited about something. It doesn't really matter that something ridiculous just happened, or that people are staring, or that there'll be rumours floating around everywhere tomorrow.

Honestly, the fact that it was fun is all that matters.

"Aw, whatever... paper towel, paper towel..."

Let her sort herself out. I'm just looking forward to class now, so this farce of a morning can come to a peaceful close.

...I hope tomorrow is just as exciting.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel
    Date: 09.09.1994

Having finally finished browsing, Anna brought her small selection of purchases to the counter. The store itself had an interesting selection of items, though most of the standouts were, frankly, weird. Anything ranging from bizarre looking colas and super-sour candies to an actual BB gun, which looked more like an actual revolver than any toy gun she had ever seen.

Well, in any case, her own selection was far more mundane than most of the products on offer.

A notebook that fell decidedly in the “neon green” category. If Anna was to carry a notebook that was garishly eye-popping, she might as well get one in a color that she normally liked. Normally. The neon shade just dropped it mostly down into the “tolerable” range. Secondly, a handful of pens. Luckily, there were some average-looking pens around, which she could grab for future use. Painfully average, but it was either that or back to neon… so average it was. And finally, one nondescript eraser that emerged from behind the counter when Anna had asked for it.

Just as Anna placed her purchases on the counter, her eyes fell on the two stuffed dolls that sat next to one another on the counter.

Irritating. That was the first emotion that came over her as she gazed at the figures on display. The fanged, female one seemed to smile in a manner that oozed arrogance. If the doll could speak, then a haughty “Ohohohoho!” laughter would no doubt be one of the first things echo out of its mouth. The monk-like figure was seemingly the complete opposite, with a scowl truly befitting of an “edgy” antihero who is only one prompt away from going on a monologue about his frustratingly long tragic backstory and elaborate revenge plot on the “man who killed his family”. If they were to be main characters of any show, then she would probably end up rooting against them, rather than for them.

But while Anna would like to say that they were completely without merit… she couldn’t really deny that the two figures had a certain charming quality to them, almost as if their comically over-the-top natures made them endearing in its own, bizarre, way.

Really, I never cared for such things, yet now… Haa, I suppose I’m more of a target audience for this kind of stuff than I thought.

The Estonian girl turned towards Sue.

“I’ll also take one of those stuffed toys over there.” Her hand went through her raven-hair, almost as if she wasn’t quite believing what she was saying herself. “The sourpuss-looking monk one, though. I think the smug princess is a bit too much for me to handle at the moment.”

Purchases

Notebook - 2$
    Assorted Pens -2$
    Rubber Eraser - 1$
    Lion Monk Doll - 15$

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi (BONUS)

"--- Hya!"
    Wha--- What was that?

Is he...ticklish? That might be something nice to keep in mind for the future, though...I probably shouldn’t abuse it for the time being.

At any rate…

What am I even doing?

What should I even do?

Staying the way I was felt like a safe option. It didn’t make things worse than they already were, and gave me some time to calm down.

"Errr, Hisanator? You okay there? Did you hit your head?"
    "C'mon, Pyry. If anyone hit their head here, it's you. Hisa just got a face full of belly... wait a sec, was that your plan!? Hisa, there's pushy and then there's this. C'mon!"
    “...”

I raised my head, and while still sort of clinging to the boy, I pulled myself further up on his body - much as my body brushing against his just made me blush again - so that our faces would be in line.

I was going to say something...

But I couldn’t find the words, so I just stared at him with sort of an empty expression, trying to figure what to do.

Having his face so close didn’t exactly help to clear my thoughts.

I raised my right hand, and slowly started moving it towards his face---

But as my fingertips were about to touch his skin, a sudden realization hit me.

Where I was, what I was doing, how wrong it probably was.

I pulled my hand away, and climbed off of the boy as quickly and gracefully as I possibly could.

“Ah, uh...Yeah, I’m okay,” I said as I stared at my feet now, “Let’s help Prushka with cleaning up then, before she gets mad again.”

I felt like everything but okay, and talking about it was the last thing I wanted to do…

Still, I’m glad that I was part of this.

Maybe I’ll really find it here.
    Last edited by Cheetose; April 3rd, 2019 at 11:51 PM.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Travis
    "... Quebec. Near the coast. Moved around a lot as a kid, though before I was shipped off to here Ottawa was my stomping grounds. Learned to hide my accent there too, so none of the local hippies would mistake me for one of them. Works great here too. Not a single invite yet to hold hands in a circle and sing Kumbaya."
    I think he's pretty safe from anyone trying to lure him into a song circle for Kumbaya, but Travis might be in danger if someone wants to have a punk jamboree...

Quote Originally Posted by Travis
    "So, what got you sent here? Got some deviant neurosis you haven't told anyone yet? Like to piss on other people when they sleep, eat rat's feces, something fucked up like that? Gotta be. It's always those who look the most normal, right?"
    "What got me sent here...? Ehk."

Elise paused as she considered the question. She suddenly feeling very aware of the heavy raindrops pounding on the roof of the dormitory building.

Do I want to tell Travis anything? Odds are he's going to use this information to make fun of me. Do I even want to talk about... all of that. Any of that? On the other hand it probably is healthy to be a little bit open about these sorts of thing. Just a little bit...

"I really don't want to dwell on it, or really get into all the details, but I'm afraid it's a lot less exciting than rat feces. I made a mistake. I tried to fix it. That didn't work out, and so I just sort of buried myself in a dark corner somewhere and tried to avoid dealing with other people as much as possible," admitted Elise, "Anyway, as much as I hate to admit it dragging me away from that and taking me out here alone has been good for me."

It's amazing what not having to worry about how other people might react if they found out about your catastrophic failures does to your attitude!

"It's been a nice change of scenery," insisted Elise.

She nervously drummed her fingers on the table.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart
    Weather:Rain

With a half of a smile, I watch the girl leave, lazily waving at her as she moves away. While we're entirely alike, we're entirely different at the same time. Two people who are simply opposed because that is the kind of people they are. It's not as if the two of us are enemies; far from it. The fact of the matter is --

-- I could never really be an enemy of Mercedes West. Our similarities are too many to count, and our worldviews are almost entirely the same.

Nobody can change.

This is true. This is something I have learned countless, countless times. If a person is 'unkind' at their core, then there is nothing in the world that will change that fundamental fact of reality. There is no such thing as an unkind person who wishes to be kind; it's simply a lie that they have told themselves in order to feel like life has a deeper meaning then what it actually is. The sad, terrible truth is that there is not one single person on this earth who can change.

But...I don't want that to be true. So does that mean I can pretend otherwise? That's how the world works, isn't that true? Just because something is impossible, doesn't mean it can't happen. While nobody can change, isn't it more than enough to try, just a little bit?

This is the difference between us. Mercedes West let that tiny, almost invisible ember of hope go out, and watched it coolly vanish into nothingness before her eyes. Like me, Mercedes West is a person born into privilege and power. For us, there was never any chance to be anything but the top of the heap. So perhaps, maybe someday, she'll be the first to learn my name.

Lifting the book she left on the table, I flip to a random page, leaning back in my chair and feeling my hair fall backwards, cascading down the wood as I peer at a language I don't really know. There's a beauty inside of every book - for owning a book is sort of like owning a world.

And that's fairly powerful.

"Mercedes," I say to an empty room, my words echoing to only my own ears as the light drifts through the room, "Do you really mean what you say? Because such things can't really be taken back, you know?"

I don't have many friends.

I don't really have a family, either.

I don't have anything in my life but books and teachers.

The people in my life are all there for a reason - and it is to increase my value as a person. To go from Alexstrasza Lockhart, the sion of nobody and wanted by no one, to Alexstrasza Lockhart, the ace of an academy, an under-twenty year old girl who had more than a single name. In every aspect, I really am superior to others.

But isn't it okay to not want to be that, all the time?

I don't have many friends. But that's okay.

I don't really have a family, either. But that's okay.

I don't have anything in my life but books and teachers. But that's okay.

Because I want to change.

I want to be a different person then I was before. I want to laugh. I want to cry. I want to fall in love. I want to hate so viciously that I could die. Even if I wanted this before, the way I went about it was entirely false.

The smile falls from my face.

It's blank, my features as I look at this book. There's no light in my eyes, no lines on my mouth, nothing but a shell of what was originally a person.

In the end, I really haven't changed as much as I wanted to. I'm simply someone who deceives others for their own personal gain. Exactly as I was taught to be by my experiences.

"This book really is a nuisance, isn't it?"

I close the book with a snap, my hand slowly lowering itself as I stare at a ceiling empty of any real decoration. My eyes don't move, for there's no real need to move them. My face doesn't twitch, because it doesn't need to. If you looked at me too closely, you would swear that I wasn't even breathing.

I don't have a lot, really.

I don't want a lot, really.

All I want in the world is...

Standing as abruptly as Mercedes had, I walk over to the window and look at the rain, watching the grim clouds overhead echo vaguely in the distance, as water falls endlessly downwards.

I'd really like to know what that sort of feeling is.

That sort of truly, honestly, genuine feeling.

My smile returns, as I close my eyes and stare into the distance. Turning on my heel, I leave the library, glancing briefly at the desk where I'd first met someone who could pass for my twin.

"It was really nice to meet you, Mercedes West."

[SCENE END /// Move to NEXT Phase!]

Last edited by Frantic Author; April 12th, 2019 at 08:40 AM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---
    Vivienne Bianchi

Phase
    :
    Morning Phase
    ---

"..."

A pair of azure irises eyed the strange being that had made its appearance. How something that large and inconspicuous could get by Vivienne's field of vision, or be sneaky enough to the point where it eclipsed the girl's perception was very... mystifying. Well, everything about this situation here was mystifying, really, so much that even though Vivienne showed her typical bland visage, one could feel a sense of curiosity, and perhaps some wariness as she observed the newcomer.

Of course, situations change, and what could have been some sort of setup for a horror movie now resembled one of those Disney cartoon comedies. In fact, this strange 'thing' might as much qualify as some sort of cartoon character. It looked like a bunch of oversized marshmallows clumped together.

It is entirely possible that the idea of taking a bite out of these limbs to see if it was made of marshmallow or not passed by Vivienne's train of thought, but that would've been rather rash and unreasonable now, wouldn't it? Instead, she put the book she was reading down and stood up, gauging the strange 'thing's reaction, to make sure it wasn't wary of her or anything -- it did show itself to her after all, so it was alright with interaction... or at least that was how Vivienne understood the series of events that had lead to the situation she found herself in.

"Marshmallow...."

She leaned forward, seemingly trying to pick up a scent... perhaps the scent of sugar?

"... Marshmallow Person?"

Evolving from curiosity and weariness, it seemed like the undertone that now tried to free itself from below Vivienne's emotionless demeanor, was the expression of hunger. She had not eaten breakfast after all, having either forgotten to do so or perhaps, taken up too much by her desire to learn more...

Hopefully whatever this curious being was, it was not literally made of Marshmallows.

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide
    "I'm one of those people, for sure. I was actually coming here to ask you about that, honestly. I was thinking of doing some research on what I wanted to write about, when it rolls around... I thought maybe doing something with Norse myths would be interesting, and I was wondering if you had any idea on where to start looking...?"
    Mr. Redd descended into a momentary thought, chewing lightly on the cigarette on his lips. His eyes were directed upwards and he seemed to be going through a list of people in his head, even going as far as muttering some names so quietly that one couldn't really hear them. Finally the teacher put his hands on his hips, nodded, and turned his attention back to the girl in the frilly dress.

"Hmm, I think the only one who's from anywhere near that area would be Mr. Leijonamieli, though from what I understand Finnish mythology is quite different from Norse mythology, so that might be a dead end..." Mr. Redd answered. "Other than that, there's of course the library at Owl's Nest Hotel. The owner, Mr. Halloway, is quite the collector so you just might get lucky."

Scratching the scruff on his chin, Lewis Redd continued his thinking for a moment. Outside the pounding rain hit the rooftop of Pinefall's main building, and judging from how the sound echoed up above, it seemed that the second floor was quite empty. Indeed it created a rather 'eerie' atmosphere in a way, something that tended to belong only to old abandoned buildings... though as far as this sound went, at least there was one floor between it and Adelaide.

"And from what I understand, there might be some sort of Icelandic tourist in town, or so Mr. Hatou claimed. Apparently he met that person at Big Boy's Bar few nights ago," Mr. Lewis contimnued. "They might have some knowledge only locals do."

Lucille Faraday

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    Failures shouldn’t be sources of inspiration. Ah, I mean… there are plenty of people more radiant than I am. It’s lovely that you think of me in that way, but I don’t think I’m worthy of your admiration.”
    Caleb grumbled something quietly, taking a deep breath to calm himself down and get back his bearings. Then, slowly, he lifted his big beanie and directed his eyes towards the blonde girl. The stare in them was... both suspicious, almost like he had heard what Lucille had said (which Inacio clearly hadn't heard, as the boy was happily enjoying his breakfast), but at the same time he wasn't going to bring it up. Instead, he quietly shook his head.

"Not admiration. It's more about inspiration. What I see... what's out there in the world... and what's inside my mind... they're all paintings, drawings waiting to happen," Caleb explained. "So, when I looked at you, that came to easily. Honestly, for some reason you look like you belong to this environment. Just one glance at you whispers that you're already a natural part of Road's End... for some reason. Have you lived here before, perhaps?"

Caleb then nodded towards Inacion, who raised a questioning eyebrow at this sudden shift in attention.

"Meanwhile Inacio, he looks like he doesn't belong anywhere. Sorry dude, but you look very fake," Caleb said with a lopsided grin. "Like you're a bit uncomfortable everywhere. Or that you don't actually know how to act like a teen."

With a fake gasp, Inacio mimed being absolutely shocked and offended, before bursting into a chuckle of a laughter. He shrugged his shoulders at both of them as an answer to Caleb's observations.

"Well, I suppose thanks to my job, I haven't been able to act like a kid in a long time. And as always with celebrities, being fake is the norm so I might have yet to shed that role," the musician explained. "... though this all could be a lie, and in truth I could be a sociopath just luring you all into a false sense of safety before murdering you in your beds~!"

Wiggling his fingers like the best of fake-psychopaths, Inacio tried to grin maniacally but only succeeded looking very goofy doing so. Caleb rolled his eyes at all of this.

"See what I mean?" Caleb asked Lucille and pointed his thumb at Inacio. "Very awkward."

Colt Davin

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “So I figure you think I’ve got bigger problems than a banged up knee, and I should probably stick around after school and try to talk to some more classmates but… it’s like, y’know… It’s not so easy. And I've gone and made it even harder.”
    Ms. Leuzinger nodded in understanding, clearly seeing where the boy was coming from. Perhaps there was even a hint of understanding in her eyes, like the older woman knew somewhat what he was talking about. Maybe she had experienced something similar in the past, or knew someone who had similar problems, but the understanding clearly was there.

"Mm, making new friends is never easy. Especially since the lot of you are all far away from home, in a place none of you has visited before," Ms. Leuzinger answered. "But that's also something you could use to your advantage. It's only been few days, so I don't think you've done anything irreparable, Mr. Davin. People are only just forming their opinions on each other."

There was a small smile playing on the nurse's face. She took a sip of her own coffee, let out a satisfied sigh, and set the cup on the table once more. Then, without even asking if he wanted one, Ms. Leuzinger pushed another toblerone to Colt's hands, clearly expecting the boy to eat it. In fact, the way she kept handing them out, it almost felt like some sort of patriotic compulsion, like she was fishing compliments for something that came from a same place as her.

... What an odd thing to do.

"If you want a piece of advice, you might want to look for someone who you have something in common with. A similar hobby, same taste in music, sense of humor that just clicks... it could be anything, really," she continued. "For example, in your file it said you loved to build things, fix stuff and work with mechanical things, right? I bet one of your classmate shares your enthusiasm in---"

A sudden 'Oh!' came from Ronja Leuzinger's lips and she fished out another file from the cabinet and thumbed through it. Then, out of nowhere, a somewhat devious and mischievous smile rose to her face.

"Well, I think I could direct you to one possible candidate," Ms. Leuzinger said, looking over the file at Colt. "A certain Ms. Feroce is also, apparently, quite the mechanic and visionary builder. I bet she would love to talk shop with you about those things."

--- Why did the nurse suddenly look like she had just found a new toy to play with?

Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “I’ll also take one of those stuffed toys over there. The sourpuss-looking monk one, though. I think the smug princess is a bit too much for me to handle at the moment.”
    Sue blinked once in a surprise, before a warm smile spread to her face. An expression that was a bit alarming to be honest. There was a high possibility that by requesthing this doll, Anna had done something that made the shopkeeper misunderstand something, and whatever it was, it would be a complete hassle for the raven-haired girl down the line.

"Oh, alright! Be sure to give the doll a good home, will you?" Sue said and winked at Anna. "Soooo... Who's the person with the pair? Somebody from the school already? Ah, that's youth for you! First week and you've already found someone for yourself~! Mmm, I wanna be young and free again~!"

That way of squirming... oh, Sue definitely had made some horrible misunderstanding. A really, really bothersome one.

Though, perhaps she wasn't completely without insight as Anna's impassive face at this reaction, even the hint of confusion, seemed to clue the shopkeeper in that she didn't understand what she had just bought. So, while still wearing that excited smile that promised trouble, Sue leaned on the counter with her elbows, beaming at Anna.

"Ah, you see, the thing with those dolls is, that they have some cultural history. In the show that they were based on, those two were inseparable! A beautiful white princess and her ever-loyal knight whom both had feelings each other but couldn't come clear because... oh, it would take too long to explain! Let's just say they both had their own demons and very, very tragic backstories, and that's why they couldn't believe in love!" Sue giddily explained. "So, afterwards, when the doll started to be sold in pairs, it became a tradition to use them to confess your feelings. You'd buy the two dolls and give your crush the other one, signaling that you wanted to be as connected as those two were, through thick-and-thin and odd, fedora-wearing magician boys!"

Sue giggled at the picture she had painted with her words. From the looks of it, any hint of relationship or rumours about love got her verbal engine going something fierce.

"And if you had a crush on somebody who already had one of those dolls, you'd buy the other one yourself to signal that you were interested in them," Sue continued. "In other words, it's a perfect sort of romance-ritual for high school, don't you think?"

So, as it turned out, the doll had quite the lot of significance behind it.

... Would explain why Shane was cackling at the sight of Anna holding the doll, though.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "It's been a nice change of scenery."
    Travis snorted, clearly not very impressed with what Elise had said. Then again, the boy never really seemed impressed with anything, so this reaction was to be expected. At least he hadn't jumped at the chance to tear into the girl about her reasons and attempts to hide them. In the end, the only thing he gave to her was a somewhat disinterested glance.

Maybe, just maybe, the only reason he was being so chatty was that reading about sport-events from decades ago wasn't very interesting.

"Well, that sounds like a shit reason," Travis frankly answered. "I mean, everybody makes mistakes, right? So you got depressed over it, cut yourself in the corner until your folks couldn't stand the embarrassment anymore and shipped you off here to stop being an eyesore? That's so mundane it kinda stings. Was hoping for something really twisted. Would balance out you being so goddamn mundane and boring."

Harsh words, spoken with that same general contempt the boy had for just about everything. Then again, considering what sort of personalities there were in their class, Travis wasn't totally wrong. Compared to someone as threatening-looking as Souma Nubatama or physically strange as Prushka or Pyry Leijonamieli, both Elise and Travis were rather normal. And that's not even talking about celebrities like Mercedes West.

"At least I tried. Went so far they gave me a choice between prison and here. Chose this place," Travis continued, a mocking grin on his face. "Nothing better than a juvenile delinquent and a youth criminal that bunch of old morons want to 'heal', right? That's almost like a plot of a movie or a book... then again, that's so cliche it hurts. Goddammit."

Travis clicked his tongue in distaste, clearly not satisfied for having made himself into a cliche.

"Ugh, this place is so goddamn boring it's affecting me too," the boy complained, before glaring at Elise. "Can't you do something interesting? Spice up the morning a little? Before I die of boredom."

A selfish request to be sure.

Vivienne Bianchi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne
    "Marshmallow... Marshmallow Person?"

"???"

Was it marshmallow? Or more importantly, was it edible? Whatever this strange creature was it, it certainly seemed confused by this reaction. No, in the first place, did it even understand human speech? Common sense would have dictated it should have, but then again, it was so out of left field and so unfitting for this serious school environment that... in all honesty... the truth could have been just weird as the creature itself.

No, in the first place, was this even a creature?

All laws of reality screamed that nothing like this should have existed in the normal world.

This... this had to be a person in a suit. Just had to be.

Any other explanation would have opened such a can of worms that everyone in this world would drown in those worms.

"..."

The thing tilted its head at Vivienne, perhaps just as curious as she was or perhaps trying to gauge the emotions she had in her eyes. Because there certainly wasn't any expressions on her impassive face. Tilting its upper body forward, the thing leaned towards Vivienne and one could practically hear some sort of sniffing sound. Was it... was it smelling her? Hopefully not. That would have been weird even by this thing's standards... no, wait.

There were no standards to begin with.

Whatever this thing was, it was all a mystery.

"!!!"

Oh boy.

At the very least, this thing had realized Vivienne's curiosity being replaced by hunger as it immediately (and quite nimbly) scooted backwards, taking an absolutely ridiculous karate-esque pose as if it was about to bop the girl on the head. At the same time it's hands (?) kept flailing around and it's whole soft, springy body undulated ferociously. One could have likened it to an agitated animal that was trying it's best to keep Vivienne's hungry eyes away from it's sprongy self, managing to make itself look even more delicious with every squirming move.

... Communicating with this thing was going to be a pain, right?

Blog Entries
    Prushka & Hisa Momoi (BONUS)

"Aw, whatever... paper towel, paper towel..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Ah, uh...Yeah, I’m okay. Let’s help Prushka with cleaning up then, before she gets mad again.”
    As the two girls began focusing on cleaning up the mess the three of them had made, Pyry was left standing there, dumbfounded and with quite a flustered look on his face, looking at the back of Hisa. Whatever had happened there, whatever that Hisa had meant to do when she was reaching out towards his face had left the boy clearly confused and feeling quite awkward. He scratched the back of his head and heaved a long sigh, trying to get back his bearings. Indeed, it took him a moment or two, but after hanging back for a while even Pyry managed to bring his expression back to normal and his attitude into a more relaxed one.

... Though his face, just as quickly, blossomed into a grin.

"Alrighty then! Let's get this mess cleaned up before any of the teachers come here!" Pyry exclaimed, chuckling to himself. "I'll handle the mopping, you guys sweep up the pieces of the plate. I think I saw a trash bin out the bag so let's just dump it there, yeah?"

Still laughing, the boy went to get a mop from the nearby cleaning closet and walked back to the girls. All the while he was wearing this goofy grin that just seemed to grow whenever he laid eyes on either Prushka or Hisa, or talked with either of them. They might have been mundane, slightly boring, very normal conversations, but at the same time it looked like they brightened up the boy's day even so.

In that sense, perhaps, deep down, Pyry Leijonamieli was something of a lonely person.

Thus, having two friends with which he could goof off like this (some rather embarrassing and awkward moments nonwithstanding) was something new and exciting for him.

And it was for moments and reasons like this that the Oceandrop Program had been started in the first place.

Prushka: Friendship Rank Raised!

Vier Wolff (BONUS)
    Date: 08.09.1994(FRI)

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Fine… My nicknaming sense is horrible, I’ll just stick to calling you Subaru then. Feel free to call me Vier or you can try coming up with a nickname.”
    "... I guess you could say..."

Gabi's red eyes were on Vier again, and the corner of the boy's mouth was tugging with a ghost of a smile, signaling that yet another bout of something absolutely horrible was coming... maybe it was a pun-nishment for the hideous nicknames that Vier had tried to assign Subaru with. But whatever it was, it could not be stopped now that the boy had started.

"... your suggestion for a nickname... was nicked...!"

Oh that was just reaching for it. Even Tonkori was groaning and rolling his eyes while Gabi kept giggling at this yet another abysmal pun that had left his mouth.

However, strangely enough, Aleen and Subaru did not react to this even if no normal human would have left this pun un-groaned. Instead their eyes were glued to a scene happening not far away, on the other side of the cafeteria. There, a tall boy (Pyry Leijonamieli, right?) had just been slammed to the ground... and into a quite the compromising position. Hisa Momoi was clinging to his stomach like a particularly powerful hug, burying her face into the boy's bare skin. Meanwhile a smaller female student (Prushka, right?) straddled the boy's upper torso... and was now forehead-to-forehead with him.

And from the angle they were in, it was impossible to say what else they were, perhaps, doing.

"O-oh my gawd... that's... oh wow...!" Aleen whispered, hands on her face and blushing furiously at the sight.

That was a normal reaction, one that spoke volumes of rumours that would start making rounds in the school thanks to a certain bluehead.

--------- More worrisome was Subaru's steel-like expresion and intensely glaring eyes, along with a mouth that was a white, thin line.

One that was aimed squarely at Prushka, who had just jumped up.

"......................."

The silence around the Japanese girl was much telling, along with the words she spoke next into the empty air.

"... Kono dorobou neko."

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"And if you had a crush on somebody who already had one of those dolls, you'd buy the other one yourself to signal that you were interested in them,"

"In other words, it's a perfect sort of romance-ritual for high school, don't you think?"
    The slight confusion on Anna’s face morphed into resignation, accompanied by a dismissive snort.

“Hardly.”

“If you’re interested in someone, then you should have the guts to tell it to them straight out.” Anna gave a small shrug. “All these vague courtship dances are nothing but a pointless waste of time.”

A blunt answer, but one that reflected her honest thoughts on the matter. Life was short and fleeting, prone to be lost in the wind at any moment. Why waste time with shielding yourself from embarrassment? Two people either liked each other or they did not. It was not as if buying a paired doll or ten would make the other party like you if they weren’t romantically interested, to begin with. Well, perhaps that was a bit unfair. There were probably people who relished that kind of attention.

For her, however, it seemed nothing but a waste of money and time.

“Besides, even if I was interested in this ritual romance-via-dolls…” Anna gave Sue a dry smile. “I definitely haven’t chanced upon anyone that interesting yet.”

She turned the doll around in her hands, giving it a better look.

“Honestly, I was interested in it because it felt strangely familiar for some reason, but...

Really, it was annoying. She hadn’t even bought the doll yet and it was already making itself a nuisance. Perhaps you could say that it was very in character for the doll? Well, based on her previous gut feeling, in any case. Also, Anna made a mental note never to get any of the objects from the store that might be prone to rumor mongering.Based what she had seen of Sue so far, she had the feeling that the British shopkeeper was very much enjoyed this type of gossiping with her customers.

Anything sensitive would probably be the talk of the town in no more than an hour.

Anna placed the doll back on the counter, pushing it back towards Sue.

“...if it's going to be this troublesome, I’ll pass. I’d rather not invite any potential annoying misconceptions if possible. ”

“Besides, someone might actually be interested in this whole romance ritual thing and I’d be “taking away” their chance to connect with their “soulmate”, right?”

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

She spotted the slight shake of his head, but maybe she was reading too much into it. It could be over anything she just said.

"Not admiration. It's more about inspiration. What I see... what's out there in the world... and what's inside my mind... they're all paintings, drawings waiting to happen," Caleb explained. "So, when I looked at you, that came to easily. Honestly, for some reason you look like you belong to this environment. Just one glance at you whispers that you're already a natural part of Road's End... for some reason. Have you lived here before, perhaps?"
    “No, I haven’t. I’m sure the locals would attest to that,” Lucille said, though something about Caleb’s statement sparked a curious feeling. Was it about her appearance? Or maybe her demeanor? What about her spoke to him that she felt like she belonged here? She was born and raised in the city, so although she figured she wouldn’t mind the slow pace of a rural town like this, it wasn’t necessarily something that struck her as a perfect fit. “I’m not certain myself if this place suits me, actually.”

Inacio’s antics then caught her eye, each motion as overexaggerated as one would see on television or in the theater. Lucille couldn’t help but find it amusing. Even if it was all forced… there was something to be said for at least making an attempt. Besides, many things, social skills especially… those all had to be learned through experience. Trial and error.

"See what I mean?" Caleb asked Lucille and pointed his thumb at Inacio. "Very awkward."
    “He’s trying, right? Some people don’t even bother,” she said, trying to not come to a hasty conclusion this time. “Even if it’s kind of silly, the fact he’s trying says enough about him. Isn’t that right?”

Lucille turned to Inacio for a response, an inquisitive look in her eyes.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Uh, oh, thanks.” Colt absentmindedly took the irrefusable toblerone and put it in his mouth. “You sure have a lotta these huh…”

Was she just giving the youngster chocolate to cheer him up? Or trying to build a brand as the cool nurse who hands out treats like she has an infinite stash?

The young man wasn’t quite the sharpest tool in the shed when it came to the minds of the fairer sex, and so despite his pondering he arrived at no conclusion.

Only that toblerone is, truly.

So good.”

The boy sighed after swallowing. The kind of exhale of inner calm that comes out after putting on fresh, clean underwear on New Year’s morning. Greeting the sunrise after parting the curtains and getting a whiff of that morning air, laced with the early hour dew.

In the history of human civilization there is one man who deserves eternal gratitude. For inventing a machine to separate the fat from the cacao solids. The toblerone may be Swiss, but the man to thank for this modern luxury is a Dutchman by the name of Coenraad Johannes van Houten.

Though, truthfully, the mind behind the cacao press was his father, Casparus van Houten Sr.

Not that Colt knew that.

Nor did he care.

Because as the bliss passed and the taste began to fade from his mouth, his thoughts turned to more complex problems. A man can invent many solutions to many problems, like separating fat from solids in cacao beans, but a man cannot invent an easy solution to certain problems.

“Cesarina? Yeah, I, uh, heard some stuff that made me wanna talk to her ‘n stuff but, y’know.” Colt scratched his chin. “I don’t wanna sound like I’m really judging my classmates too hard ‘n all that but, every time I see her she’s with that Alexstrasza girl, and well..”

A man can’t invent a machine to separate girls from their crazy.

“I uh, kinda get the feeling she’s a bit… off. In the not-quite-Xylia way, but enough that I think I should keep my distance.”

Colt shrugged his shoulders.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Gagnon
    "Well, that sounds like a shit reason. I mean, everybody makes mistakes, right? So you got depressed over it, cut yourself in the corner until your folks couldn't stand the embarrassment anymore and shipped you off here to stop being an eyesore? That's so mundane it kinda stings. Was hoping for something really twisted. Would balance out you being so goddamn mundane and boring."
    Elise shrugged and replied, "I'm sorry, I'm just boring, mundane Elise."

I'd really appreciate it if you kept on believing that.

Travis continued, lamenting about the clichéd role he'd found himself trapped in. Elise had a short lived, momentary feeling of sympathy for his plight, but it quickly died as soon as Travis continued speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Gagnon
    "Ugh, this place is so goddamn boring it's affecting me too. Can't you do something interesting? Spice up the morning a little? Before I die of boredom."
    Elise took a sip from her mug of coffee before setting it back down.

"I suppose I can try and keep you alive for a little bit longer..." began Elise, "Say, have you ever wondered about that boarded up part of our dormitory? I took a peek in there on the first day, and it looked like a complete disaster. Then there's the entire second floor of the main building. All locked up, and the windows covered with those dark curtains?"

The first week is nearly over. I can misbehave a little.

Elise glanced about conspiratorially and continued in a hushed tone, "I considered nicking the janitor's keys so I could get a better look in the forbidden section of the dormitory, but it turns out Jake doesn't even have the keys to it. Makes you wonder what's in there if they don't even want to let their janitor in to take out the trash."