Page 64 of 244 FirstFirst ... 14545962636465666974114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Elise Pelltier
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 10.09.1994 (SAT)
    Weather: Overcast

Breakfast never seemed so far away.

There was no chance of misunderstanding Sakura's stare and Elise quickly found herself heading towards the kitchen with the other last arrival to the traffic jam at the entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza Lockhart
    "I should warn you, I'm barely above average at cooking."
    "Heh, I'm probably not much better," admitted Elise sheepishly.

... and I still have absolutely no idea what was going on there, thought Elise as she put some distance between herself and the entryway traffic jam, Hopefully Sakura will fill us in on the details... Speaking of which, she looks like she hasn't slept at all last night. Again. Just what is keeping her busy at night?

Elise pondered this morning's strange turn of events, somewhat grateful for the distraction, as she made her way back upstairs and to the kitchen. She found herself waiting outside the kitchen entryway with her fellow conscript.

"I'm Elise, by the way, nice to meet you!" said Elise cheerfully as she introduced herself.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Dormitory—Entrance
    Morning Phase
    Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Zhou Coastrise
    “...You two bellboys are nice. Want some juice? I got lots.”
    John fixates on the girl for a moment, intently, as if she had said something extremely interesting. A moment later, his expression eases into a smile. It has something resembling warmth, and something resembling pity.

“Thank you, you are too kind. Looks like I’m skipping breakfast, so I can use some…”

Only then does he look down at the box in hand.

“…bright…cotton candy. How unique.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa Momoi
    “Asshole? If I wanted to be an asshole, I would have called you a degenerate for forgetting about a simple date and not even being able to organize your things. But it’s okay, just keep being a cocky brat. Just don’t be surprised if you end up with a black eye because of it.”
    …why do humans always feel the need to respond to every single, inane thing?

…aaand then she leaves, because humans for some reason believe having the last word somehow puts them in a superior position.

Whatever. Not his problem. Like they say, you do you, Hisa Momoi.

John instead moves subtly towards Colton Davin, to speak in a modicum of privacy in the midst of this crowd.

“Thanks for the assist, man,” he speaks quietly to the other guy’s ear.

Indeed, the advantage of numbers certainly turned the flow of this situation towards the solution he proposed. Now, of course, John has to take responsibility for it.

“Really helped me just now….”

As his voice drifts into oblivion, John’s sight is inevitably, inexplicably, even absurdly drawn towards the sight of two vertically challenged girls departing the dorms.

OhGodsheisreallyleavinginthattinyscootersogreat.

“That…might just be the second—no, third most incredible thing I’ve ever seen.”

He admires the colorful sight of Prushka riding her most unique vehicle with an utterly calm expression, irradiating the kind of peaceful fulfillment of one who has been witness to something truly magical.

A whole bunch of other things happen simultaneously: Elaine and her curious companion quickly take off towards the main building; John catches the sight of Alexstrasza Lockhart’s distant figure, and Sakura starts to guide the newcomers inside, her smile not quite right. She looks tired; did she overwork herself last night as well? By any chance, did she do anything concerning Elizaveta Vyraj?

So many people, so many things to deal with. Well, one issue at a time. For starters, one most pleasing to the eyes approaches.

Adelaide’s eyes are fixated on Colton Davin, so it is likely she does not even catch his curt nod of salutation. She then asks the other boy out, and John knows then and there that he has lost Colton Davin’s support.

“Well, I know where I’m not needed.” He follows with a brief chuckle. “Have a nice day, but do watch for the rain.”

Leaving the couple behind, John instead hurries to assist Zhou Coastrise with the luggage she carries.

“Please,” he offers with a slight grin. “Wouldn’t be much of a bellboy if I don’t do at least this much after being tipped.”

This also gives him the opportunity to get close to Sakura, inching to her side just enough to speak quietly to her.

“Thank you for your efforts, Sakura; your patience is something to admire. But, please, don’t overwork yourself, you’re making me worry.”

Sakura’s apparent need to handle every matter herself has caught his attention. She has this whole “ideal big sister” image she is projecting but…John just cannot figure it out. It feels like a need to hold control over her environment and/or those around her. On the other hand, it does not feel driven by any sense of personal gain. How curious.

With Sakura intending to leave for the kitchen, it thus falls upon him to be the hospitable guest for their unexpected guests. However, before getting on with that, John Dove needs to address the most difficult issue he has thusly left for last.

Sakura intends for her to assist her in the kitchen. Preposterous; Alexstrasza Lockhart’s radiance cannot shine proudly in such a place. However, John has neither the time nor the means to challenge Sakura’s allocation of duties. Then, what can he do? How can he let her know that she is not alone in this brief moment in time?

“Miss Lockhart,” he calls out before she leaves his sight. He does not need her to stop or even turn in his direction. No, one such as she should not waste her time on that. He cares not for the other people present; it is fine as long as his words reach that single person.

O curas hominum, ô quantum est in rebus inane
    Ah, human cares! Ah, how much futility in the world
    !”

Alexstrasza Lochkart was able to recognize a quote from Iamblichus, so he expects her to recognize the Latin quote: the first line of Johann Weyer’s Pseudomonarchia Daemonum. It is meant to be a reminder of the many unwanted, and in many occasions pointless, burdens that afflict the human experience. The feasibility of its contents notwithstanding, the purpose of that grimoire was to offer assistance and succor against the challenges beyond one’s expertise and capabilities. John can only hope Miss Lockhart receives the message, because he has already made his choice.

John Dove will be her ally, even if she does not want him to.

That matter resolved (to whatever degree of resolution that amounted to), John then turns his undivided attention to his self-appointed duty as a host. This might be a terrible mistake, but he chose to intervene in the first place, so he has to take responsibility.

“Well, I understand if you do not wish to talk about it, but could you perhaps tell me more about this hotel and why you found it unsuitable for children?”

As good a conversation starter as any (?). A moment later, he is taking his first taste of bright cotton candy juice.

“…most unique.”

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

Lazily waving, I smile at the girl next to me, inclining my head. "Alexstrasza. Feel free to call me Strasza, Za, Alex, Zaza, or any other combination of syllables that you can find in my name, I assure you I've heard them all."

Unlike in my world, here it seems names are given around ever so freely, dancing from person to person with barely a care at all. I was always Miss Lockhart, or one of my other names, and rarely did I ever meet anyone who was inclined to refer to me so informally. It's a refreshing cool breeze in an otherwise dreary place. I've never heard so many people speak to each other so informally, and its always a treat to see how care free everyone is with their identity.

"I do wonder what happened at the entrance, don't you?" I ask the only other person in my vicinity, arching an eyebrow. "An awfully large commotion for something so early, wouldn't you say?"

My thoughts drift away to John Dove's words, shouted at my swiftly vanishing form. It sends a shiver down my spine, and I've slowly begun to realize something very, very important. Even while I, as an existence, am alone, there is always something grander, more powerful, and more cruel and sly.

"Ahhhh, but is it truly better to conquer oneself than to win a thousand battles?" I say with a smile, more to myself then anyone else. While I'm only slightly familiar with Weyer's work, as demons were never really in purview of interest, but it seems that every interaction I have with John Dove leads me to the same conclusion; that he knows far more then he lets on, and lets on far more then he knows. This duality is of course, absolutely and utterly human - to pretend to know more but know less, and to pretend to know less but know more. John Dove is an enigma, one that I would be absolutely delighted to unravel, not only for my own curiosity, but also for the debates. It has been many, many years since I've had an intellectual match in the arts of sorcery, and yet he seems entirely uninterested in answering my demands for his Name. Obviously, to give out one's full name is an absurd and ridiculous demand, but such a thing is necessary for trust to be established.

Breathe.

Let go.

Smile.

"I don't suppose you have an idea when the girl who directed us here will arrive, do you?" I ask Elise, pulling the book that Mercedes had left in the library out and beginning to flip through the pages. "I'd rather like to read today."
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Halloway
    "Well then, you weren't kidding. I guess Uncle's bit desperate to get the place to look better. So, hm... Do you have any cleaning experience from before? Or working at a hotel in general? I'm trying to get a sense of where I can put you to work today. At least the kitchen floors need scrubbing now that the breakfast is starting to end, and--- Oh."
    “I haven’t worked at a hotel before, but the place where I grew up held harsh cleaning standards such as mandating hospital corner beds and clean, shiny communal rooms. So I would like to believe that I’m a decent cleaner...”

I heard about how understaffed they were from James Halloway himself so I didn’t doubt their situation. However, I didn’t think they needed that much help. Even if the front desk seems to be a little cluttered and the library downstairs was positively a mess. However, cleaning capability… I think I’m good? Well that’s more because I’m just good at noticing things and I hold myself to harder standards?

"Did you eat yet? I'm pretty sure I can get you some grub. Don't worry, on the house for showing up so early. I mean, usually our cleaners are tardy as sloths, so it makes for a nice change."
    So there are other staff besides James Halloway, Rachel Halloway, and the female cook. From the sound of things, the rest of the cleaners sound… incompetent. Granted the potential workforce is limited and dwindling down more each year. I can imagine, it forces the Owl’s Nest Hotel to rely on such people because the alternative is even worse.

“I ate some buttered toast before arriving here so I’m not starving. However, I wouldn’t mind eating some of the leftovers while you tell me about the various rules and standards.”

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“Me? Ah…”

Scratching the back of my head, I just tried to settle for a vague explanation without thinking too much about what happened yesterday;

“Just a long night where everything that could go wrong did go wrong. You know how it works.”

“A bit lost now. But been through worse. Though…” I continued with a mischievous smirk on my face, “I really wouldn’t mind punching some people right now.”

Would ease my stress a bit for sure. A shame that there were so many people at the dorms earlier, it would have been nice to make that guy’s face meet my fist…

Glancing over the smaller girl, I noticed that while she stopped eating, she was still rather quiet, albeit with a curious expression;

“So...You just found her in the middle of nowhere, lost and whatnot, and decided to rescue her?”

What a familiar sounding tale that is…

“But can she...Can you speak?” I asked as I turned my attention from Elaine to the mysterious girl.
    Last edited by Cheetose; June 15th, 2019 at 09:17 AM.

Elise Pelltier

"Alexstrasza. Feel free to call me Strasza, Za, Alex, Zaza, or any other combination of syllables that you can find in my name, I assure you I've heard them all."
    Heh, I did say that I wanted to talk to Alex. I was just looking for Terrot and not 'Straza.

"You sound awfully resigned to people tripping over your name, Alexstrasza. I'm sorry to hear that. I've only got two syllables, but I've had to defend them zealously from time to time."

"I do wonder what happened at the entrance, don't you? An awfully large commotion for something so early, wouldn't you say?"
    "Yeah, that was quite the traffic jam. I've got no idea what was up with that. Late arrivals? Prospective students?" speculated Elise, "I'm sure that if there was three more students in our class that couldn't make it for the first week, we'd have heard about that. Besides, where are they even going to stay? I hope they like bunking together, because I don't think there's all that much space left in the open section of the dormitory. If it was a campus tour, I'd have expected more fanfare. Like, literal fanfare."

Elise thought back to Mister Oceandrop's orchestra and those damned owl costumes.

"Hopefully Sakura fills us in on the details."

"I don't suppose you have an idea when the girl who directed us here will arrive, do you? I'd rather like to read today."
    Alexstrasza had pulled out a book and started idly flipping through its pages. Elise's eyes lit up at the mention of reading.

"I don't think Sakura will keep us waiting for too long," replied Elise as she took a glance at Alexstrasza's book, "In my experience, she'll probably get here right about when when you reach a good part in the book."

Elise momentarily regretted not having brought one of her own books with her. Not that her dorm room wasn't that far away, but she didn't dare abdicate her position for a moment.

"What are you reading anyway?" she asked.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elaine Winters & Hisa Momoi

"Nnn...."

It was like trying to wipe the face of a small animal in a way. The tiny kid didn't exactly like what was going on, but some struggling later her mouth and cheeks were clean again. Showing an almost pout-like expression on her face the girl then slumped back to her seat, taking a hold of one of the remaining sandwiches. She started munching on it, rebelliously, keeping an eye out for both Elaine and the newly-arrived Hisa. Especially Hisa. Immediately after a stranger had barged in on the scene the girl had tensed up, once more looking like she was ready to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “But can she...Can you speak?”
    The girl blinked at Hisa, no recognition whatsoever passing on her face. Then, quite determinedly, she rose from her seat, took her plate... and walked over to the other side of Elaine, putting the blonde student between her and the scarred girl. From her new protected position, the girl then stared at Hisa, clearly suspicious of what the she wanted and what she was here to do.

"........."

That doubtful stare was quite something, especially when she continued eating without a stop even though her eyes were glued to Hisa.

Truly a strange little beast.

Elise Pelltier & Alexstrasza Lockhart

"Alright, let's get this over with."

Sakura arrived, finally, to the entrance of the kitchen after giving John Dove a curt nod, if a bit thankful, nod. The tired-looking brunette brushed past both Elise and Alexstrasza, walking into the soon-to-be battleground of culinary arts. She yanked an apron for herself from the hook on the wall, throwing the two other girls ones as well. While tying it on she stalked over to the fridge, where she started going over the contents of it, slowly piling them onto the countertop.

"Can one of you heat up the pan? Sprinkle some olive oil on top before you do though. We don't want this thing to stick to it," Sakura asked while she worked. "And if the other could start mincing this onion, that'd be lovely. I'll start the rest of the prep work for an omelette. I guess... we're gonna need enough for the three siblings and ourselves... maybe John too if he poor guy gets roped into playing a host... maybe for one or two more just in case anyone wants seconds..."

Her voice trailed into a mumble as she packed eggs, milk, cheese, tomatoes, some sliced ham and all sorts of other things to the kitchen counter. After finally finishing her raid, Sakura snatched a knife of her own from the holder on the wall and focused her attention on a bright, big, red tomato before her.

But before she started... the brunette heaved a heavy sigh.

"... I can't even be annoyed with them, considering I sorta get their situation. Especially if they are students who are supposed to be here," Sakura spoke to the empty air. "After all, the empty rooms did make me wonder if somebody was missing, but for it to be three siblings... well, I suppose stranger things have happened."

As she started slicing the tomato into big red slices, Sakura shot an apologetic look towards Elise and Alexstrasza.

"Oh, and sorry for dragging you two into this mess," she added. "Don't worry, I just need a pair of extra hands. I'm not gonna make you two cook anything too complicated. Maybe brew some coffee because I sure as all heck am gonna need it."

The bags under her eyes told that the girl wasn't kidding.

John Dove

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “…most unique.”
    Zhou gave John another one of her dopey smiles, nodding languidly back and forth - managing to look a bit too much like a bobblehead in the process.

"Good, right? I always order a tons of them and you never know what sorta flavours you're gonna get~" the girl said happiyl. "If you want I can give you some more later on. Oh, but not the xuě dòufu, flavor. That one's my favorite~"

It was like talking to someone that was constantly under some sort of heavy, sedative medication. Not only did the girl's listless pace in talking make it sort of hard to follow what was going on, but her intonation was all over the place, usually raising it towards the end like she was asking questions instead of talking just normally. But, at the very least, some sort of conversation had been established by the time the siblings and John arrived to the common room.

... With John carrying all of Zhou Coastrise's luggage, as it turned out.

"... That place is falling apart," Minato suddenly said, returning to John's previous question. "In the upper floors the floor looks like it could give away in some rooms. Like in our room."

As he talked the boy neatly set his own luggage to the corner of the common room, stacking it so that it wouldn't get in anybody's way. He also took the stuff from John, arranging them with the other stuff rather meticulously. Either he had done stuff like this for a work or then he simply had a meticulous eye when it came to arranging objects. Whatever the case, once the boy was finished, he turned back to John.

"And it's creepy. Yeong-Hui couldn't sleep well with all those owl-carvings staring at us from the walls," he continued in his brusque style. "It's like you're always being watched in that place. Gave me the shivers too."

Zhou, who had taken a seat on one of the comfy chairs giggled.

"Ah, my little brother is sort of a scaredy cat, too~" the girl said with a smile. "He's the type to watch a horror movie and then be unable to sleep at all for the rest of the night, so that place was difficult for him too~"

Minato clicked his tongue in annoyance and slumped down on the sofa, folding his arms rebelliously. The sour expression on his face had morphed into something of a pout, revealing that he might have been a bit younger than his initial looks gave on.

"... Whatever," the boy grumbled.

Still following her older brother like a shark follows a ship, the youngest of the siblings, Yeong-Hui apparently, climbed onto the sofa as well and nestled close to her brother. She was still eyeing everything, especially John, with a keen eye. Clearly the girl was suspicious of all the things that were going on around them.

"U-um, when are we gonna see Papa...?" Yeong-Hui quietly asked. "I miss him already..."

Both Zhou and Minato exchanged glanced, and the former shook her head. The shaggy-haired boy sighed and gently patted his sister on the head.

"I... don't think we're gonna see him for a while. You'll just need to be brave for a while," Minato told the younger girl.

Meanwhile the bespectacled girl clasped her hands together and beamed a smile to the smallest of the siblings.

"Besides, there are plenty of nice people in here, aren't there? Like, for example, this bellboy here~" Zhou said and gestured towards John. "He carried our luggage and even came here to make sure everything was alright for us."

Yeong-Hui pondered this for a moment, before looking at John and narrowing her eyes.

"... I guess he's sorta nice..." the girl slowly said, not sounding quite like she meant it.

Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “I ate some buttered toast before arriving here so I’m not starving. However, I wouldn’t mind eating some of the leftovers while you tell me about the various rules and standards.”
    Rachel nodded and stood up from the chair she was sitting on.

"Alrighty. I'd much rather talk over a cup of coffee myself, so no problem there," the redhead answered. "Besides, I wouldn't call just buttered toast a breakfast. Can't have you keeling over from hunger while you work for us, right? That'd just invite all sorts of trouble, hah."

Chuckling a bit to herself, Rachel rounded the counter of the lobby and walked next to Vier, gesturing her to follow. The two girls then set out towards the dining area which was just one corridor away from the lobby proper. It was somewhat worrisome that Rachel left her post just like that, but at the same time, it was not like there were that many guests coming and going at Owl's Nest. Judging from how empty the place always looked, you could have probably counted the amount of guests checking in every day with one hand... if even that.

Which was, in a way, sort of a shame. The place was big, after all, and quite beautiful at that - if not a bit old.

As Vier and Rachel arrived to the dining area, they could see that few customers still remained. Some were finishing up their breakfasts, some were drinking coffee, others were reading the local newspaper... in other words, your typical morning activities. Rachel looked around, as if searching for someone, before clicking her tongue and taking a step towards the kitchens.

"Ah, wait here. I'll go get us something from the chef," the redhead explained. "Looks like they already took most of the food away."

And with that she headed through the swinging door to the back, leaving Vier, for the moment, alone at the dining area.

... Not much to do there than wait. Maybe gaze around a little at the other guests who were finishing up their mornings and breakfasts. But even then it's not like there were anyone interesting at the place, just some travelers who had either just arrived or were most likely leaving today, with few more permanent residents (perhaps) mixed in. Everybody looked normal, very normal, and even if Vier's idea had been to check out just what sort of people stayed at Owl's Nest, it was hard to grasp anything of note or interest out of these people. Even when the one guy reading the newspaper lowered it, revealing his face, it wasn't as if it would make that much of a differe---

"......... Ah."

Your eyes met his.

And at that moment you both realized.

....... There was someone familiar here, after all!

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

“Oh.”

Lucille’s response was a muted cry and the covering of her mouth. Then an embarrassed flush spread itself across her cheeks, and she turned away, the vestiges of her already dismally low pride withering away. She’d really set herself up for this one, hadn’t she? It was only inevitable that her straightforward personality would lead her into a situation like this, but… even with the sort of awareness that she’d often end up in these scenarios…

Well, that wouldn’t dampen the ensuing shame of falling for such a prank hook, line, and sinker.

“It’s, um, fine,” she said, a slight nervousness in her voice now. “I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions.”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

"Alrighty. I'd much rather talk over a cup of coffee myself, so no problem there. Besides, I wouldn't call just buttered toast a breakfast. Can't have you keeling over from hunger while you work for us, right? That'd just invite all sorts of trouble, hah."
    Considering that hearty meals have been provided for the past few days, I would beg to differ. I didn’t have to hunt down and kill anything for food or be subjugated to extreme conditions to throw my body for a loop. I didn’t even consider mentioning that due to the fact that most of us at Pinefall shouldn’t have gone through experiences like that. After all… We are fairly normal if socially awkward students.

“That would be quite the issue wouldn’t it. I guess some eggs and bacon should be more than good enough to stop from keeling over right?”

I followed Rachel Halloway towards the dining area. I briefly considered the state of the hotel if Rachel Halloway was able to easily part the front desk, but then I remembered that I found it originally empty. Which reminds me of my conversation with Nora Norumbega on the scarcity of newcomers. The desk was probably more of a reminder of days gone by when the Owl’s Nest Hotel used to be busy.

After that brief tangent, we arrived at the Dining Area. While I knew where it was located thanks to James Halloway’s offer the other day, I wasn’t particularly concerned with its occupants at the time frame. Granted, I’ve learned about a lot of… interesting things the past couple of days and how I need to pay attention a lot more to the people around me.

So it was reassuring when I found nothing abnormal or different about the Dining area upon entering. It was just a scene that could be found across the world. Just patrons slowly eating their breakfast while enjoying a nice drink of their choice. A few people were consulting newspapers intent on reading the newspaper. Rachel Halloway looked around the room trying to spot something.

"Ah, wait here. I'll go get us something from the chef. Looks like they already took most of the food away."
    “I’ll go ahead and get us a table then.”

I started looking around for a good table to sit. I considered sitting at the furthest tables away from most of the customers. So that Rachel Halloway can talk shop about how I should do things and various questions about my employment quietly. However, things changed when I saw one of the people lower their newspaper and revealed their face.

Quote Originally Posted by Kicking Bastard
    "......... Ah."
    And looks like my morning will be an interesting one after all. I sat at a table nearby him with me clearly facing him. While I’m fairly confident that he probably won’t start a supernatural fight to the death here, it always pays to be prepared. I make a genial facial expression while keeping a hand concealed in my pocket.

“Good morning Mister… I don’t believe we’ve really met before, but it seems like you know me somehow? At least that’s what my friend said after you left the other day.”

Considering how we last met with him stunning me with a kick to head and how I was more than ready to kill him if he dared to touch Aleen. It could be potentially disorienting for him with me casually chatting to him as if nothing happened. But I wasn’t going to let emotions steer me into doing something absolutely idiotic while I can keep things civil and gather more information.

Blog Entries
    Prushka

Of all the ways for Xylia Pheme to react to Prushka's outburst... she did it by remaining completely calm.

No, more than that - she seemed almost serene. Despite the ridicule, despite the mocking laughter, despite the denouncement of her vile suggestion ever working... the dusky-skinned girl simply stood there and smiled that venomous smile of hers. With each guffaw her smile turned degree upon degree wider until, in the end, there was nothing more than a row of wicked, sharp teeth spread into a shape of some twisted sense of happiness. It was answering mockery with derision and glee, to sneer at someone who was cackling at her despite everything.

That smile... it was like looking at a cracked crescent moon that refused to go down.

"... Just remember: ya gave me the permission. Ya reap what ya sow," Xylia softly said in return. "So don't come crying to me ya numbnut."

As per Prushka's suggestion, Xylia started down the road once more, heading towards the diner and the bright red neon sign that was already in sight. She did it with slight spring in her step, like this whole ordeal had lifted her mood in some degenerate way.

But as she pushed past Prushka, Xylia added something with a low voice that reeked of danger.

"Besides... who the fuck was talking anything 'bout seduction?" Xylia asked. "I'm gonna break him and his mind, moron."

There was certain fortune in that the diner was already so close.

"Wait... ya gotta be shitting me..."

As the two girls arrived to the diner they had been traveling to, another surprise laid in wait for them - one that was revealed when they walked past the parking lot outside the building. While it might have not been anything special or strange to Prushka, Xylia Pheme stared at this sight with some shock, her eyes widening in surprise... until a gleeful, almost excited grin rose to her face and the dusky-skinned girl hastened her steps. Those eyes of hers were burning quite a bit brighter as she rounded the parking lot and walked up towards the source of this surprise.

... Namely, two people who were standing around the entrance of the diner.

One of them was sitting, or rather, leaning onto a motorcycle that looked brand-spanking new. Almost like a technological, armored beast compared to the scooter that Prushka was riding. The machine itself felt like it was looking down on her ride. The person upon this bike was dressed in all black, though bangs of silver hair could be seen under her hood, along with a tell-tale trail of smoke from a cigarette. Meanwhile the other person was leaning against a wall, sucking on a ball-shaped lollipop of garish color. No... make that multiple lollipops. Each one a different color and, presumably, different flavour. She alternated between them, enjoying the sugar-rush with an emotionless face and great, big dark bags under her eyes like she felt nothing about the candies.

Both of these people looked up at approaching Prushka, clear recognition sparking in their eyes.

"What the hell are ya two doing here!?" Xylia asked, spreading her arms and cackling almost maniacally. "Never thought I'd see yer shitty faces in this mudhole of a town!"

The two girls, both in the same height-range as Prushka and Xylia, reacted in rather different ways. The one sucking on candy did a simple shrug, looking as disinterested as before even though she had been greeted like an old accomplice. The one smoking a cigarette, on the other hand, flashed a bestial grin and a V-sign with her fingers.

"We couldn't just leave our littlest shithead alone, y'know?" the hooded girl responded, her voice rather deep and masculine. "Figured we'd pay you a visit now on this weekend. Xeni was practically begging us to."

The tired-looking girl rolled her eyes.

"Ugh... as if, Xandra. Don't talk shit. Or you'll get hit," she replied, sounding as emotionless as her face was. "... There wasn't a reason. Really. Just see what's up. Maybe. Find if you strangled anybody. Already."

Xylia cackled at that, folding her arms across her chest and tilting her head mockingly at the two, almost like she was sneering at them.

"Aww, worried 'bout me? I didn't know ya two fuckers had a heart," she answered. "Well, at least that lets me see some sane people in this ridiculous place. So I don't mind. What about the others?"

The hooded girl nodded, chuckling as well... before her attention was suddenly caught by the sight of Prushka and her scooter. This girl, apparently named Xandra, pointed at her with her thumb.

"They had some other business, but more importantly..." She started, her stare practically drilling into the smallest girl. "... Who's the cutie you brought with you? A new girlfriend?"

Xylia scoffed, not even bothering to hide her distaste at the assumption.

"Seriously, ya keep talking shit, yer about to get hit, Xandra," she said in return. "Not likely. This little shit's one of the students at the school. Dragged me out here for who knows what reason."

This was... very unexpected.

There were people who knew who Xylia Pheme was? And even acted like they were comrades or something?

And they were here, at Pinefall, right now?

--------- Things... might've taken turn for the worst.

New Person Met!

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Jack Pinkerton's eyes widened in momentary surprise.

".... Oh? Sue, this is bad," the man said with a quiet voice, leaning a bit closer to the owner of the store, who now looked rather confused. "I think this is very, very bad..."

Sue Popplewell raised an eyebrow and for a moment, looked like she was about to cut off whatever was starting right from the sprouting stem... but then, to humor the one-eyed man that had found some new energy, she sighed and leaned closer to the man in return. Then, in the same hushed theatre whisper that Jack had used, she replied.

"What is it now...?" Sue asked, awkwardly playing along.

Jack's eye narrowed as he looked at Lucille's blushing form that had turned away from them.

"This girl... is surprisingly adorable isn't she!" Jack commented, like he had made a major discovery. "She's the type to awaken grandfatherly instincts in old men and make them buy candy and other stuff just to spoil them rotten!"

Sue Popplewell raised a slightly weirded-out eyebrow, took a good look at Lucille... and then did a honest-to-god double-take, slapping her hands on her cheeks. The owner's eyes widened in surprise as well and she let out a low hiss, sucking in air thanks to the mental shock... or that was probably the effect she was going for.

"Y-you're right. You're actually right this time," Sue commented back. "M-my customer is unexpectedly adorable, straight-laced girl who you just made embarrased with your usual antics! W-what are we gonna do?"

... These two were undeniable dorks, both of them.

Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Good morning Mister… I don’t believe we’ve really met before, but it seems like you know me somehow? At least that’s what my friend said after you left the other day.”
    ---------- This situation was awkward in many, many ways.

The young man (looking at him now, he must not have been that much older to Vier) stared impassively at the girl who had just accosted him in the clearest of ways about what had happened back then. No movement, no change in body language, not a single twitch on the face revealed what he was thinking. Instead his hand let go of the newspaper, reached for his cup of coffee, raised to his lips...

... And then he took a long, quiet swig from the cup without ever once breaking the staring contest betwee himself and Vier.

Once the cup was down on the plate and the young man was holding the newspaper with both hands once more, he narrowed his eyes a bit. At the same time he switched his posture so that one leg was slung over the other. Silence grew deeper and more tense, with electricity practically sparkling in the air between the two youngsters.

-------- And then the man raised his newspaper once more, breaking the contact.

"... Wrong person."

Those were the only words he said after retreating behind his paper.

Elaine Winters

The girl made some token resistance to being cleaned up, but it was too late. The white cloth of purification would not be denied its prey, resistance is futile.

After Hisa made her presence known, however, she scuttled back behind me once more, still wary of strangers clearly.

"Listen, do I look like the kind of person who'd just pick people up off the street?"

The tall girl straightened back up, forking some omelet into her mouth, then brandished the utensil at Hisa.

"The answer is yes, I am definitely that sort of person."

As for the girl, Elaine settled the fork back down, taking up her glass of apple juice and sipping it thoughtfully, "As for talking, she can, at least, I think so, but it's no language I recognize, but we seem to be communicating alright for now, so..."

She shrugged, "Would be a lot easier if I got an address and a contact number, hm?"

Just another mystery on my plate.

Speaking of...

"Got anything on our local un-personing? I got a lead or two, and coupled with some other stuff, might have a place to investigate."

The blonde girl chomped on some toast thoughtfully.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

Not very trusting, huh…

Well, not that I’d exactly trust a complete stranger as well. Especially not if she saw me at the dorms…

Ignoring the small girl for the time being, I turn my attention back to Elaine.

“Mhm, that’s exactly what you look like,” I said with a grin, “Would have been surprised if you of all people didn’t help a person in need.”

I would like to think so, at least. She has the sort of simple but kind hearted feel to her, but then…

I’m not sure what to think anymore.

“Tried any eastern languages? Japanese and the like?”

What exactly would someone from that far do here though…

But then if she doesn’t speak english, she is clearly not a local.

Or are there any other native languages here?

“And to be fair…”

I took a moment to collect my thoughts about the matter;

There were so many things to keep in mind, so many clues and hints that could lead to whole different things…

“Not much, I suppose? A few minor details. A few people who might be worth talking to, also. Like Jake the janitor, reason why I was trying to free him from those jackasses earlier.”

Many things are still unclear. Most of them, more like. But if Elaine has more pieces of the puzzle...Then maybe we can get somewhere.

Last edited by Cheetose; June 16th, 2019 at 10:38 AM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Xylia Pheme
    "Besides... who the fuck was talking anything 'bout seduction? I'm gonna break him and his mind, moron."
    "Pft. As if-."

A sudden realization hits me. This place, Pinefall, is full of 'special' people that don't follow the rules of the human world. I've seen more than my fair share now. Xylia Pheme is almost certainly one of them, so... she can't be judged on size alone.

I can't laugh at this anymore. For all I know, she might actually be dangerous after all.

"...don't even think about it, even as a joke. This isn't permission, and this isn't a challenge; it's a warning. If you try anything, I'll - huh?"

Prushka

Despite the chilling exchange earlier, I was expecting to at least see a peaceful diner, a refuge where I could get some pie and have a talk and maybe, just maybe, wrangle some answers out of the little monster next to me.

Instead, I find out this monster has friends.

What!? How!? These two absolutely radical looking girls came here, now, for Xylia!? And she's not immediately chewing them out!?

In an instant, almost every assumption I'd made about this girl is turned on its head.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandra
    "They had some other business, but more importantly... Who's the cutie you brought with you? A new girlfriend?"
    "W-w-what!? No! Today's the first time we've even spoken! And it's Prushka, not cutie!"

In the end, it's sheer habit that saves me while my brain tries to reboot. Even if nothing makes sense, there are certain things that can't be accepted. Like the idea that I'm supposedly cute. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. And I can't show how confused or upset I am, either, because if I do, Xylia will try to take advantage of it like the awful human she is. This is why society sucks.

Wait, sucks... sucks dick?

Agh! Noooooo! I don't want to know what that word means! Just forget it! Forget you ever asked!

I grab onto the first thing I can see as a distraction:

"Are you two Xylia's sisters or something?"

I roll up and park my scooter next to that big shiny motorbike. It's so impressive that I have to take a minute to just stare. Sure, I'd like one of those. I'd probably crash it immediately, but I'd still want one. But that's impossible, because...

"...that's things pretty cool, but how do you not get pulled over?"

They look no older than Xylia and I, after all. There can't just be a trick to it, can there?

Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "...that's things pretty cool, but how do you not get pulled over?"
    Xandra chuckled in that masculine, husky voice of hers and stood up from the bike she had been sitting, patting the leather seat and raising an eyebrow at the smaller girl.

"Well, Prushka, it's all about confidence. If you look like you belong somewhere, nobody's gonna question you," the silver-haired girl answered, rounding the vehicle so she could stand next to Prushka. "And if you think it looks cool, tell you what: I can take you for a ride later, if you want. The only thing better about this beast than its looks is its speed. So yeah, if you want to, we can go for a drive... just the two of us."

There was something weird about the way Xandra phrased it all. Something that made it easy to feel like a mouse being stared down by a huge cat that had raised its paw to strike and was licking its lips in hunger. Xylia, on the other hand, after seeing this swatted her comrade (friend?) on the head and rolled her eyes in derision.

"Give it a rest, horndog. I can't take yer shit this early in the morning," the girl with the burning eyes spoke. "Just get yer ass inside. We came here fer pie, and that's the only pie yer munching on tonight, I swear."

Cackling to herself, Xandra patted Prushka on the shoulder and moved away, heading to the door of Avery's Diner. Meanwhile the perpetually tired-looking, or hangover-ish-looking, girl named Xeni let out a snort of ridicule as she swapped her pink lollipop with a blue one, whirling her tongue around to lick it all over in a sort of unnerving way.

"Ugh. But no. We're not sisters. Seriously," Xeni answered Prushka's earlier question. "The little shit here. She hangs out with us. That's all. Totally. That's all."

And with that the other girl was off as well, following the hooded girl towards the entrance fo the promised land of pie. After them came Xylia and Prushka herself. As they walked, the dusky-skinned girl leaned a bit closer to Prushka, an expression that was both gleeful and sort of serious on her face... which was an odd combination to say the least. When she spoke, Xylia's voice was nothing but a hushed whisper that only she could hear.

"Seriously, read the room a little. Ya gotta watch out for Xandra. She'll eat ya alive otherwise. Pretty little things like ya are right up her alley," Xylia warned the other girl. "They're in a good mood fer now so just get some pie, shut yer own pie hole and eat. I finally got some sane people in this miserable place, and yer not gonna ruin this morning fer me, understand?"

Yes... this was a warning on many levels. That in itself explained Xylia's expression.

"Hey, wait up ya fucknuggets!" Xylia then cackled and hurried after her friends, leaving Prushka behind.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

These people are... weird. But I can definitely see the connection between them and Xylia. I thought she was the kind of person that either deliberately acted maliciously to bring out the worst in people, or was just that nasty. But maybe that's just the only way she knows how to behave. Xeni and Xandra... they don't seem as nasty, even if they're constantly swearing. So maybe they'll be nicer?

Or maybe they're just a good influence on each other. If she was unable to make any friends here after a week, it would be completely understandable for Xylia to be all worked up and touchy. Though I'm sure she's not that much worse than usual...

Quote Originally Posted by Xylia
    "Seriously, read the room a little. Ya gotta watch out for Xandra. She'll eat ya alive otherwise. Pretty little things like ya are right up her alley. They're in a good mood fer now so just get some pie, shut yer own pie hole and eat. I finally got some sane people in this miserable place, and yer not gonna ruin this morning fer me, understand?"
    "Huh? Oh, right, thanks."

She breezes past me, and I blink. 'Thanks'? Did I just thank Xylia Pheme? No, even more than that, did she just warn me about something?

Is... is Xylia being nice right now?

"...maybe it'll be better this way."

Regardless of the outcome, I'm surely seeing a side of Xylia Pheme that nobody at Pinefall knows exists. That alone is interesting.

I park my scooter next to Xandra's big motorbike, locking it onto a nearby pole, and, after a moment of deliberation, take off my helmet and put it in my backpack. Might as well. No matter what any of us do, we'll definitely look out of place in a sleepy town diner like this one. So if I'll look ridiculous either way... might as well own it, right?

But a thought is bugging me again, as I follow Xylia and make sure she knows I'm only paying for her breakfast: what was that about eating me alive? Xandra's probably not a cannibal, so it has to be a euphemism for something.

Maybe I'll ask what she means over pie...

Blog Entries

Prushka

As the four girls entered, a chime rang somewhere inside the building to inform those at work that customers had arrived. Almost immediately there was movement behind the door leading to the kitchen, and soon enough, it swung open. The one who emerged was an older-looking woman with a charcoal-colored hair, putting on a black apron while whistling a merry little tune. Her eyes scanned the perimeter for a moment in confusion as she saw no one in the building... until she finally looked a little lower and saw the gaggle of short girls that were now gathered before the counter.

She blinked in honest surprise, clearly not having expected this.

"W-welcome, lovelies! Out for a little Saturday get-together?" This woman, whose name-tag read 'Avery Walker', greeted the lot. "Mm, well you made a great choice! We've got plenty of stuff with which to recharge your stomachs and get back to playing! So, what'll it be, lovelies?"

For some reason, a smile that was so warm it almost burnt spread to Avery Walker's face as she looked at the girls. This way that she acted, it was... odd, to say the least. The professionalism she had entered the room had evaporated almost immediately and instead been replaced by some sort of motherly gentleness, almost like the mere sight of the quartet warmed her heart. Xylia even glanced at her two comrades with a mokcing look for 'Is she for real?' and swaggered over to the counter, leaning against it with a thuggish grin and raised eyebrow.

"The little shit here's promised to treat us pie, so why don't ya skedaddle over to the kitchen and whip one u---"

SNAP!

What had just happened?

At first Xylia Pheme had been talking in her usual way when suddenly she recoiled with a loud yelp of pain, holding her forehead and tears swelling up in her eyes. Meanwhile Avery Walker held her right hand up, her thumb and index finger extended slightly like she had just used them for something. As if... as if she had just flicked Xylia's forehead with enough force to cause a horribly loud sound.

"Now now, watch your language, young miss," Avery said, still cheerfully. "I won't have that kind of talk in my diner, you hear? My roof, my rules, understand?"

Xylia looked at Avery with eyes wide as plates and full of shock, as if she couldn't quite believe what was happening. Xandra, on the other hand, broke into a mocking cackle and took her place at the counter, leaning against it in an oddly aggressive way and throwing a smoldering gaze at the older woman from under her hood.

"Sorry about my pal, Miss. She has no idea how to talk to beautiful ladies, after all. Now, what she was trying to say was---"

WHIP!

What had just happened?

At first Xandra Lyssa had been leaning closer and closer towards the owner of the diner while her voice got sultrier, when suddenly she was made to stand perfectly straight and not slouch. Along that her hood was thrown back, revealing a mess of long gunmetal grey hair that was on something of a ponytail. It was as if... as if Avery Walker had just fixed Xandra's clothes and forced her to stand up straight so as to fix the attitude she was having.

"Well now, hats off when you enter a diner! You're young ladies, not animals, and only animals don't have manners, right?" Avery asked, still cheerful. "And don't slouch. You'll end up growing crooked if you do."

Xandra's expression was one of humiliation and utter bafflement, staring slack-jawed at the owner of the diner who had so effortlessly cut off whatever it was she was trying to do. It was like the two girls had been gusts of violent winds going up against a mountain that didn't even bother to notice their attempts at starting anything.

Thus, it was left up to Xeni Techne to fix the situation. The tired-looking girl stepped forward, still sucking on her lollipop and with a disinterested look on her face.

"Y'know. This is fun and all. But we need---"

SNATCH!

What had just happened?

At first Xeni Techne had been sucking and licking on the dozen lollipops she had been carrying and now those candies were lined up behind the counter, completely out of reach for the blue-eyed girl. Avery Walker finished setting up the last one there and turned back towards the group, never losing that warm smile on her face despite these odd things just happening over and over again.

"No candy before lunch or dinner, right? It'll ruin your appetite otherwise!" Avery advised. "More than that, eating so many lollipops is going to ruin your teeth. You're still young so you should treasure your chompers!"

Xeni looked like she had been slapped across the face, unable to comprehend just how she had been deprived of her constant sugar intake. Now all three of the tuggish girls were standing there, in a row, with faces of people who had been sucker-punched in more ways than one. It had taken all three minutes for Avery Walker to 'disarm' them all, leaving nothing but shocked stares and growing confusion in her wake.

This... this was perhaps much more dangerous than any of the three girls.

This was an existence that no small girl could hope to win against.

A being that was the stuff of legends.

---------------- This was a Mother, wasn't it!?

"T-t-t-t-t-t-t-t...!"

Xylia Pheme was the first one to get her faculties back in order.

"This is bullshit! We're not gonna---"

A split-second glare from Avery caused the dusky-skinned girl to whimper in fear, shut her mouth and retreat a few steps.

"Like I said: language, dear," the owner of the diner reminded, once again all smiles. "Or we'll have to wash that mouth with soap. I've done it with my own daughter and I'll do it with any rude child eating in my diner as well."

Then.

After all this.

Avery Walker finally turned her parental smile towards Prushka, peering down at the girl from behind the counter.

"... Now then: What will you little lovelies have?"

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Wha-?"

In an instant, the three that I had been gearing up to fight are defeated. Well, no, it wasn't an instant, but it felt like one. And not even that, they've - they've been de-fanged! What kind of Diner have I walked into!?

It's the work of this lady, this overwhelming, parental force called 'Avery Walker' and her insistent smile. I've heard of the legendary being called a 'Mother', but this is my first time laying eyes on one that lived up to that moniker. Fearsome! Truly, she's a fearsome person! And yet, right now, can I call her an ally?

She turns that smile upon me, after confirming that the XXX Brigade is no longer a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Walker
    "... Now then: What will you little lovelies have?"
    "A-ah, um..." Caught off guard, it takes a moment to remember why I'm here in the first place. "I'm Prushka. Xylia and I, we're from Pinefall, up the road. I heard - read - that your diner has the best pies in all of Road's End, Ma'am!"

Why did I call her Ma'am? And why am I reflexively standing up straight? She's not even a soldier (probably)! And yet, despite her complete lack of ranking, my instincts are telling me that a formal salute is the only correct response to her words.

"I'd like one-." Oh, but I'm hungry too. "I mean, two slices-." But what if we want to eat more? And it would be rude to just leave out Xylia's friends. "Er, that is..."

Oh no...

"One pie, please! The whole thing!"
    Last edited by Bloble; June 16th, 2019 at 06:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "One pie, please! The whole thing!"
    Avery's smile grew even larger and broke into a grin that was practically proud of Prushka's bold proclamation. She raised her hand and gave the small girl a thumbs up, indicating that this decision had marked Prushka down into her good books, while the defeated trio over in the corner were etched onto the pages of naughty kids.

"Now there's a proper choice! Young people gotta eat, because you're always hungry, right? Here, let me pour you some cola so you have something to drink while you wait," the owner said and started opening up bottles for the four of them. "But from Pinefall, huh? Guess they weren't only aiming for high school ages, huh? Oh, but don't worry. Smart cookies like you are always welcome to my diner."

Apparently this sort of parental aura required some gestures as well, because straight after pouring that cola into four glasses Avery Walker very naturally reached over the counter and tousled Prushka's hair, patting it encouragingly for a good few measures. Then she handed her the tray with everyone's glasses.

"Well then, I better start preparing that pie for you and your friends. Or two, just in case. Even precocious kids like them need to eat, even if they were acting a little rude," Avery said, fastening her apron. "You lovelies just pick a booth and sit tight, and I'll bring the pie when you are ready. And believe me, it's gonna be the best damn pie you've ever tasted."

Then, as if an after-thought, a different sort of warm smile floated to Avery's face, like she had been remembering something.

"... Well, maybe my girl has surpassed me already, judging from yesterday. But unfortunately, she went to Seattle. Got into a huge hurry to get some new, pretty clothes. Haah, that awkward dummy..."

Then, whistling to herself, Avery disappeared once more behind the door leading to kitchen and soon enough sounds of cooking and baking could be heard coming form there.

In the meantime, Prushka and the three other girls had sat down at one of the booths in the back, with Xylia and Prushka on one side and Xandra and Xeni on the other side. Unlike Prushka, the rest of the group were all staring straight ahead of themselves with a sort of hollow look of defeat in their eyes, quietly sipping their sodas and unable to speak up even after all these minutes.

Indeed, it was Xylia who finally broke the silence after five minutes of nothing.

"........... I hate this town," she grumbled, sucking on the straw with a pout on her face.

Xandra and Xeni nodded in unison.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Dormitory—Common Room
    Morning Phase
    Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Zhou Coastrise
    “Good, right? I always order a tons of them and you never know what sorta flavours you're gonna get~" the girl said happily. "If you want I can give you some more later on. Oh, but not the xuě dòufu, flavor. That one's my favorite~”
    Zhou Coastrise gets John’s undivided attention, as if every word that comes out of her mouth is supremely important and interesting. When she finishes, he assents slowly.

“I…will take you up on that, Zhou,” he replies. Just because his first try was rather…peculiar, it is no excuse to dismiss the entire product line. “Um, do you mind if I call you by name? There are two Misses Coastrise; I would rather avoid that confusion.”

As they settle in the common room, Minato details their experience with the local hotel—Owl’s Nest, was it? It does project the image of a place unwelcoming for young people. On the other hand…

“If anything, I´m surprised there is still a hotel in this town in the first place. This place doesn´t seem to have much in the way of tourism.”

There is no need to go into detail on the tale of the dying town and how it got to this point. Admittedly, John does not really care about the hotel and its quality; this is a rote attempt at conversation—social niceties at their most inane and insipid. Yet, they fulfill its purpose of providing him with information: for instance, John thus learns that Zhou is the eldest sibling, not Minato as first impressions had suggested. The whole exchange also makes him wonder about the seemingly younger Yeong-Hui. They already have rather short characters in the class roster, but this girl gives off the impression of being in fact younger of age. Does she qualify to be a high school student?

On that note, John does wonder the same about The One Known Only as Prushka, but neither students nor faculty seem to have issue with her presence, so John, as they say, “rolls with it”.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeong-Hui Coastrise
    “... I guess he's sorta nice...”
    John shakes his head slowly, regaling the three with an amicable smile.

“No, no, you do well in being cautious. We all know I don´t do this out of the kindness of my heart,” John confesses as he too settles on one of the available seats. “Like it or not, till this whole affair is settled you three are strangers in this dormitory, so we have to keep an eye on you.”

He chuckles.

“There again, there’s a whole three of you. If you wanted to do anything, I don´t think I could stop you. But I´m confident we´re all educated people who can wait patiently. I’m sure everything will be settled in no time, and in the meantime, you’ll even get to try some of Sakura’s homemade food. Trust me when I tell you it’s something to look forward.”

The smiling boy makes a dismissive, “whatever” kind of gesture with his hand.

“In any case, yes, a degree of caution is only normal to have in a place like this. But, if you let that suspicion stop you from reaching out and communicating with others, you will miss out on a lot in your life.”

Why is he saying these things? Is he saying the things he believes Yeong-Hui needs to hear? The things she should hear? Either case would be out-of-character behavior for John Dove, who cares not for the nuances of the hollow people’s vacuous lives. However, this is John Dove “Weekend Version”, who takes the guilty pleasure of indulging a bit in the inane.

“Now,” he continues while crossing his legs. “I’m sure you get this a lot, but what can I say? I’m curious.”

The pleasant smile subtly changes into the beginning of a smirk. Thusly continues John’s effort at time wasting with these three siblings until Sakura does her magic and/or Jake comes back with answers.

“I don´t recognize where the name ‘Coastrise’ comes from; it doesn´t sound East Asian like your first names. It is very unusual.”