Page 78 of 244 FirstFirst ... 28687376777879808388128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 10.09.1994 (SAT)
    Weather: Storm

Luckily, we got back to the dorms without any real issues, but...Just what was going on at the pool? Why would someone be there, especially during a storm like this…

Well, whatever, not like we have time to check anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Inacio
    "But what on earth was she doing out there? Never mind shadows or huge somethings in the darkness, this is... this is actually real and worrisome. It might be just my imagination but... being out there, and looking like that... my imagination is conjuring up all sorts of nasty possibilities."
    “I’ve been asking myself the exact same thing…” I said with a sad expression while staring down at my muddy and soaked shoes - being pretty much convinced that cleaning them wouldn’t really be a possibility.

“But hopefully we’ll find out some details soon.”

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “We can’t really take her anywhere for now, after being out there I can say there’s no chance we’re getting anywhere by car.”
    “Mhm, she should be safe for now here anyways. Doesn’t look like she is injured, just...Probably tired, scared and, as you said, freezing.”

Something that kind of applies to me as well, although not to such extent…

Observing the girl while lamenting over this mysterious chain of events, I can’t help but smile a little as she cuddles up to Colt, leaving the boy in a somewhat awkward state again - making me wonder if he is just generally awkward around girls, or…

“Yeah, towels, dry clothes. Uhh, maybe, Hisa? Could you… do you...Think you have a change to spare?”
    “Yeah, just let’s take her to my room. She probably needs a hot shower too, and...Well, I wouldn’t let any of you take care of that.”

The thought of letting any of these guys undress and bathe this girl almost gave me goosebumps, and made me even more glad that I ended up tagging along.

“We can discuss the rest there. Maybe she’ll be able to talk as well afterwards.”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

I started walking briskly to the kitchen. Calmly, but quickly especially since I heard Aleen’s shriek go off and Ramia Ramalsaqr begin laughing. I expected to hear Elise Pelltier walking to catch up or saying something about how she was going to decline for now. I certainly didn’t expect this third outcome from what Xylia Pheme called a “background character” and what little I knew of my classmate.

Quote Originally Posted by ???
    "Still... the tiny dwarf was not wrong. You certainly are rather pathetic and pitiable fake, a sham that does not even make an attempt to fit in. Do you take pride in how amateurish your act is? Or do you actually believe you are doing a good enough to fool others? Because if it is the latter... you are even more touched in the head than you appear."
    When I heard that weird tone and choice of words, I turned around to see if it was still Elise Pelltier standing there. Indeed it was still her physically at least, mentally is a different issue. It could be anything from a repressed personality that sleeps inside Elise Pelltier to someone taking over her body momentarily. So I attempted to see if I could figure out anything from this new persona she was taking.

“...”

I didn’t even consider answering.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise Pelltier (?)
    "Is Aleen King a crutch to you? Or is she simply someone to use to mask your own inadequacies? I would love to know!"
    And at the end of those words, Elise Pelltier’s head jerked backwards and then the arrogant aura around her disappeared. And presumably Elise Pelltier went back to normal if a bit confused and sweaty after her ordeal.

“Hey Elise, you sure you don’t want any soup? You don’t look so hot right now.”

Who cares if a fake acts fake in a glorified mental asylum? Isn’t that why I’m supposedly here anyways? So I’m just merely acting my part until "Vier Wolff" is no longer needed. After a brief wait for Elise’s response, I continued my brisk walk back to the kitchen as if nothing weird occurred.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Anna shared an amused glance with Zane, as they listened to Shane’s enthusiastic explanation of his impromptu meeting. Unlike Zane though, Anna was more inclined to guess that the red-haired boy was far more excited over meeting a kid, any kid, of his age, to even consider her as a crush. That interpretation definitely had less material for teasing though.

But Shane’s words did little to cast light on the mystery at hand.

“The lighthouse? So she could be a patient from End’s Mercy, then? Can’t think of any other place around these parts that would hand out hospital gowns. I haven’t seen any at Pinefall, either. I assume those would be two places even remotely related to something like that, right?”

"Hmm? Something wrong?"
    “Naah. Just a stray line of thought on something completely unrelated. Don't worry about it.”

She wasn’t about to share her suspicions with Zane. Not yet, at least. This was a touchy subject to local folks and with good reason. Besides, it might still end up being a complete dud, after all. In fact, that in itself was more than enough reason to keep quiet. No one, neither King nor the locals, would appreciate her bungling around and tearing off old scabs, based on nothing but her own half-assed suspicions.

No. She would first see if her theory even had any merit and then decide when, or even if, to tell anyone. It could very well be that this topic would get no less complicated even if she knew the truth.

“But since we’re on the topic of our small delinquent school and all, I was wondering…” Anna turned towards the two brothers. “You two home-schooled? Or is there some other school in some nearby town, other than Pinefall?”

“I mean, I myself was homeschooled by my Gran. Up to this point, I suppose.“ Anna gave the brothers a small grin. “Then again, I’m definitely not the most studious misfit in Pinefall, so maybe I could have gotten a better education in that regard, at least.”
    Last edited by Mellon; September 10th, 2019 at 05:24 PM.

Elaine Winters
    Location - Big Boy’s Gas Station
    Phase - Evening Phase
    Date - 10.9.94 (SAT)
    Weather - Storm

“I’m a social expert,” Elaine said, modestly, “Change to suit the individual, y’know.”

She leaned back in her chair, expression growing a bit grim, “Means I’m a bit two-faced and dishonest and have an unhealthy tendency to say what people might want to hear so as to get what I want.”

She lifted her bottle in a toast, “A true American.”

She smiled after taking another drink, “But, I care about people, and I don't like seeing them in pain, means there’s a problem that I haven’t solved yet.”

Speaking of problems to solve…

She narrowed her eyes, resting her chin on the neck of the bottle pensively, “Well, she’s gotta stay somewhere, as much as I’d like to bunk up, not sure how that would work out. Full time student and all.”

Man, being a parent was rough.

“Medical stuff would be a place to start case wise at least, maybe snoop around the hospital and find a sympathetic person to help us in our time of need.”

She tilted her head back, frowning at the ceiling.

“Could also ask Leuzinger, if we wanted to go local.”

She shrugged.

“A lot of these questions would lead to ‘why’ of course, but eh, I’m pretty sure I can come up with something.”

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “No, Mercy, I don’t need a boyfriend!”
    Mercedes snorted as she tightened the last of Lucille's new braid.

"The fact that you're, like, being so uptight 'bout it means you totally need one. Having someone make you total putty in their hands would ease even you up," the actress said with some clear mischievousness in her voice. "Besides, it'd be like equivalent exchange, or whatevah."

Still, while the starlet would have probably wanted to continue this friendly form of bullying she sometimes subjected her friend to, there was another topic that reared its head and was rather hard to ignore at this point. That being the strange coincidence of the song she had hummed, inherited from her mother... and the fact that it was, apparently from the other side of the world. From the cold north of Japan, Hokkaido, where Subaru Iburi hailed from herself.

A connection like this... it was slightly too much to just ignore, especially since the small girl had brought it up like this.

“Perhaps it’s just coincidence.”
    Mercedes shot the blonde a look that practically told her it was ridiculous to even suggest that. Indeed, Pinefall was a strange place, and coincidences here were as rare as days during which nothing happened. The fact that this song connected both Mercedes and Subaru's home country was just another one of these strange meetings... though this time, it didn't seem nearly as foreboding as some did.

Instead, it beheld a much more fragile feeling with it.

"... I do not think so, no," Subaru admitted. "It is a rather unknown song... I myself have heard only few people sing it before - some of my family members included. Of course, it could just be that the melody is similar.... um, if it is not too much to ask, could you sing it to us properly, Miss West?"

A moment of silence, eventually punctuated by a sigh from Mercedes.

"--- Fine. Like, I have no idea what the nonsense words are supposed to mean, but I guess I can or whatevah," she finally agreed. "Just... if either of you are gonna make fun of me, there'll be, like, a hell to pay."

Leaning back on her chair, Mercedes took a moment to calm down and think back on the words, the lyrics she was supposed to sing. If they were "nonsense" as she had mentioned, it made sense that she wouldn't remember them that easily. Still, after a fifteen or so seconds of nothing but silence with the distant rain and wind to mar it in the background, Mercedes finally drew breath...

... And started.

--------- And Lucille could almost hear the guitar in the background.

Oh, to what place does the sea stretch?
    Umi yo, hate wa, doko doko e

It stretches on, to that country.
    Tsuzuite'ru no, ano kuni e

But what Mercedes sang... it wasn't nonsense.

It was very clearly Japanese.

Between the waves, a small boat
    Namima ukabu, chiisai fune

is being swayed adrift.
    Yurari yurari, nagasarete

Beyond the sea is an unknown country.
    Umi no mukou, shiranu kuni

The boat disappeared into the white waves.
    Shiranami tsurete, kiete'tta

Then, out of the silence between the verses, another voice rose out in a song.

Subaru Iburi, her voice tinier and much more fragile than that of Mercedes's, joined her.

So that the two of them could sing together.

Oh, what can be seen at the end of the sea?
    Umi yo, hate ni, nani mieru

I can see the smiling cheeks of the lovely you.
    Kawaii kimi no, warota hoho

Oh, to what place do the mountains stretch?
    Yama yo, koete, doko doko e

They stretch on, to that country.

Spring is light peach, summer ultramarine,
    Haru wa usumomo, natsu wa gunjou

and autumn bright red.
    Kurenaiiro ni somaru aki

Mountains are beautiful in the white winter.
    Masshiro no fuyu, utsukushii yama

Seasons alternate around and around.
    Kisetsu wa kakete, kawariyuku

Oh, would the mountains please stay put,
    Yama yo, soko ni, ite o-kure

so that they can stay visible to you?
    Kawarazu kimi ni, mieru you ni

Oh, the vast sky stretches everywhere.
    Sora yo, hate wa, doko made mo

It stretches on, to that country.

Shall we softly and lightly cross
    Ten ni kakaru, gin no hashi

that silvery bridge in the sky?
    Fuwari, fuwari, wataro ka na

The color of the faint cerulean sky
    Usui ao no, sora no iro

is the same as the color of your lovely eyes.
    Kawaii kimi no, o-me no iro

Oh, would the sky please clear completely,
    Sora yo, hate e, sumiwatare

so that the you can stay lovely and not have to cry?
    Kawaii kimi ga, nakanu you ni

Clear wonder, confusion and question in their eyes, the two of them continued.

Subaru Iburi and Mercedes West.

Two people who couldn't have been more different.

But who knew the same song by heart.

This song of mine travels far and wide.
    Haruka, tooku kono uta yo

Resound all the way to that country.
    Hibiite yuke, ano kuni e

Even now, I still feel nostalgic thinking about
    Ima mo, omou, natsukashii

the day when I met the lovely you.
    Kawaii kimi ni, outa hi yo

Can you hear my song
    Umi o watari, yama o koete

as it traverses the sea and crosses over the mountains?
    Kikoeru daro ka, utagoe

The stars in the sky are singing my song.
    Ten ga, hoshi ga, uta utau

Carrying my thoughts, they sparkle.
    Kokoro nosete, kagayaite

This song of mine travels far and wide.
    Haruka, tooku kono uta yo

Resound all the way to that country.
    Hibiite yuke, ano kuni e

The song faded away... but what was left behind was not just silence.

But also an atmosphere much different from what it had been.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; September 10th, 2019 at 05:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi & Colt Davin

So plans were made and put into action. With the help of four people now (as Pyry and Inacio did no longer have to focus on watching out for possibly imaginary dangers) the group was able to carry the girl with the gradient hair up to the second floor, to Hisa's room. Luckily enough the girl's room wasn't that far away from the stairs and so, with nobody having seen what they were up to, the group succeeded in their little mission. Ignoring some sounds coming from the kitchen, they went up to Hisa's door and prepared for the next phase of the plan.

That being...

"------ Man. This evening took weird turn."

Pyry's comment was a bit of an understatement, but it was still quite an apt description for the three boys who were now standing around in the corridor, outside of Hisa's door.

Both Inacio and the lanky athlete had agreed that it really was the best for Hisa to handle the showering and dressing the mysterious girl and - to give them some much needed privacy - they had decided to wait outside, dragging Colt with them. One of the more amusing things learned during this was that the mystery girl wasn't exactly fond of being separated from Colt. With her cold fingers she had clung to his side for a good while, before finally being pried off with the combined might of Hisa, Pyry and Inacio. Then she had been carted off into the room by the scarred girl, leaving behind one last confused glance towards the brown-haired young man.

And thus here they were now. Pyry leaning on the wall, his arms folded across his chest. Inacio sitting against the wall, absent-mindedly running his fingers through his hair again and again... and Colt. And each of the boys was soaked to the bone.

"Hah... looks like she definitely took a liking to you," Inacio finally commented after the silence had went on for some time, glancing at Colt with a smirk. "I don't know about you, but this sounds almost like the start of some urban fantasy novel. 'A boy meets a mysterious girl during a storm'..."

Pyry snorted in amusement, a slight grin passing by his face.

"Sounds like a pretty crappy start for a novel, if you ask me," he replied, before looking at Colt as well. "Anyways... I guess she wasn't the thing you saw out there, right? I might be a bit paranoid here, but I'm kinda hoping this is all just a big coincidence and she has nothing to do with that thing. A barely-dressed young woman, collapse in the rain, is trouble enough on its own... though it's not like we could just leave her there."

Then the blonde boy nodded in clear approval, almost like his opinion of Colt had risen.

"Jumping straight to action to save her like that... that was pretty manly of you, y'know?"

Inacio chuckled at that, but seemed to agree with the sentiment if his expression was anything to go by.

Meanwhile, inside Hisa's room and under the running, hot water of the shower, that same girl with the gradient hair sat on the floor and looked like she had little idea where she was or what she was supposed to do. Prying her off of her T-shirt had been easy for Hisa, and though it might have been a nasty possibility, there had been a small moment of relief when it was revealed that other than a few scrapes, the girl herself was pretty much unharmed.

Same could not be said from her mental state, though. With thos empty eyes of hers, she kept staring here and there. First at the showerhead that kept pouring hot water on her, then at the walls, and finally at Hisa - this all done with animal-like confusion just oozing from how she acted. It wasn't like she was just being out of it thanks to something she had experienced... it was more akin to someone who didn't even know where the water in the shower was coming from, much less why it was being poured on her.

------ She did seem to enjoy it being hot, though.

"............?"

Then, through the steam rising from the water, the girl tilted her head at Hisa. An universal gesture of a wordless question being asked. What that question was, nobody really knew. So far the girl had not shown any attempts at speaking or trying to form words. Instead, the only form of communication she offered others were her slight gestures, movements and...

"Nnaaa...?"

Those surreal sounds she kept making.

Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “The lighthouse? So she could be a patient from End’s Mercy, then? Can’t think of any other place around these parts that would hand out hospital gowns. I haven’t seen any at Pinefall, either. I assume those would be two places even remotely related to something like that, right?”
    Zane nodded, slightly hesitantly.

"I... I suppose so," the young man murmured.

While he had been clearly in a teasing mood previously, now that he was seriously thinking about it, the situation was actually a bit complex. A small hint of worry could be seen in the redhead's eyes as he looked at his younger brother, who kept stuffing himself with pizza pie with nary a care in the world, like there hadn't been anything strange about his meeting with this mystery girl.

Nevertheless, it was clear that Zane was rather glad when Anna decided to change the subject.

“But since we’re on the topic of our small delinquent school and all, I was wondering… You two home-schooled? Or is there some other school in some nearby town, other than Pinefall? I mean, I myself was homeschooled by my Gran. Up to this point, I suppose. Then again, I’m definitely not the most studious misfit in Pinefall, so maybe I could have gotten a better education in that regard, at least.”
    That made Shane lift his head from his food.

"Oh! Bro teaches me when he has time off from working!" he explained energetically. "He even got these old textbooks and what-not from Store & Post that he gave to me!"

Zane chuckled, though there was a slight undercurrent of melancholy in his voice. Before adding to the explanation, the young man downed his glass of beer, only turning towards Anna afterwards.

"There are no schools in Road's End other than Pinefall these days. And I can't really sent Shane to Seattle alone. Not that we'd have the money to..." the last part was said a bit quieter, and with a tinge of shame. "So yeah. I home-school him, as well as myself. Had to drop out of high school to be able to work more. So I've been studying on my own so that I could keep teaching bro here what he needs to know. He's a fast learner, too. Keeps me on my toes."

While he didn't say it outright, it was pretty easy to read between the lines why Zane had dropped from high school. Taking care of this house, taking care of his brother, paying the bills... it must not have been easy for the elder Mitchell. Yet he didn't seem bitter about it, not in the least. If anything, he looked at Shane with a certain sense of pride.

Families were an amazing thing, sometimes.

"Psh! I'm nowhere near smart as bro is!" Shane commented. "You should see the thing he's building in the garage!"

For some reason, that simple, innocent thing said made Zane nearly drop his fork, grimace quite heavily, and murmur "Goddammit..." under his breath.

Elaine Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    “Medical stuff would be a place to start case wise at least, maybe snoop around the hospital and find a sympathetic person to help us in our time of need. Could also ask Leuzinger, if we wanted to go local. A lot of these questions would lead to ‘why’ of course, but eh, I’m pretty sure I can come up with something.”
    Kean rubbed his chin, leaning back on his chair and staring at the ceiling of the old bar.

"... Hmm, I guess I could try 'snooping around' the hospital and see what turns up, since it's more of my area of expertise... though as long as Miss Small-Town-Sheriff here doesn't try to stop me," he said quietly and glanced at Johanna, who was very much trying to act like she hadn't heard what was just said. "Storm would give me a nice cover, too. As for Leuzinger... well, as much as I distrust the teachers here, she doesn't seem to be the bad sort. Plus she's Swiss. Neutrality should run in her blood, which might help us."

In the background, the jukebox had apparently gotten stuck in one of the vinyls again, and they could see how Billie Boulders walked over to the machine, muttering curses. The bartender started delivering punches that would have toppled a lesser man, but the jukebox seemed unfazed. Thus, with the fight between a Human and a Machine in the background going on, their quiet conversation continued.

"And, Blondie, I don't think housing the kid's gonna be a problem. You saw how she wrapped even damn Travis Gagnon around her finger. The loonies at the dorm probably won't mind us hiding an escaped patient, possibly an experiment in the building," Kean continued with a slight smirk. "Even if we pick and choose who we trust there, it should still be plenty of help. So don't just try to tackle this sudden 'parenting' all yourself. You got plenty of allies, yours truly included."

Johanna giggled at that, but decided not to comment on that. There was a time and place to tease the sarcastic youth about his unwavering camaraderie towards Elaine, but this wasn't it. Instead, Johanna made sure that Billie was still struggling with the jukebox, before she leaned in closer and continued with what wasn't much more than a whisper.

"... Err, what comes to a medical professional, well..." her red eyes darted around the room. "... I know someone who might help for a fee. A doctor who works, well... who works cases like us and treats the kind of stuff people like us, usually suffer from. Though... that person's pretty greedy, so it's gonna cost a lot."

Johanna didn't sound like she was kidding about the price of this "doctor".

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Manly?” Colt scoffed. “I know it was dark and stormy, so you couldn’t get a good look, but I was jumpier than a squirrel trying to cross the interstate while we were out there.”

A finger shot toward Pyry.

“Mister Action Hero jumping down to the base of the hill, ready to fight, calling the jumpy guy who was complaining the entire time manly. Now that’s a riot.” With a smirk, Colt turned that finger back to himself. Pointing at his chest, he stood tall with pride. “There wasn’t an ounce of manliness in a single bone you’ll find in my body tonight. The problem was that somebody had to do something, and assuming I’m still around tomorrow, I’d have a hard time sleeping at night if I didn’t do anything.”

He crossed his arms and leaned into the wall with a shiver. Why they hadn’t all split up to their rooms to change individually and warm up, Colt had no clue, but at this point it felt like a waste of breath to say anything about it. He’d dry out eventually.

“It’s probably some duck imprinting thing. I was the first one there when she came to.” He nodded twice, agreeing with his own wisdom. “Once Hisa comes out, she’ll be glued to her, and I’ll go back to being the guy who can’t get a girl to cling to his arm even if his life depended on it.”

After the words left his mouth, the reality of his prediction began to settle in. The overly logical, highly rational side of him began to subside In the face of such a sad future. The calm front began to fall apart, and his eyes shot open.

“Ohmygod.”

His hand flew into his forehead with a loud slap.

“What have I done, handing her over to Hisa? This was my chance, this was my night. Coulda... shoulda... woulda...” He hung his head. "Didn't..."

Schoolgirl C

Gabi's scream was followed by a second scream from Aleen followed by Ramia bursting into laughter at the entire ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vier Wolff
    “Guess that’s my cue to leave… Got to explain the crawling blanket to someone else. Hopefully, it’ll turn out better than this last attempt. Also feel free to come eat some soup once I’m done, or even study if you also need help.”
    With that, Vier set off towards the kitchen. Schoolgirl C intended to reply affirmatively, that she'd be delighted to join her for soup once it was ready. She was just going to determine what the cause of the commotion downstairs had been first. That was not how she replied. She laughed instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise Pelltier
    "Still... the tiny dwarf was not wrong. You certainly are rather pathetic and pitiable fake, a sham that does not even make an attempt to fit in. Do you take pride in how amateurish your act is? Or do you actually believe you are doing a good enough to fool others? Because if it is the latter... you are even more touched in the head than you appear.”
    Vier turned around to observe her. She remained silent as the brunette seemingly reveled in every tiny cruelty she uttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise Pelltier
    "Is Aleen King a crutch to you? Or is she simply someone to use to mask your own inadequacies? I would love to know!
    Her head suddenly jerked backwards and she stumbled back a few steps. The look of cruelty and the mocking sneer were suddenly gone from her face, replaced with a look of confusion, bewilderment, and fear.

Elise Pelltier

Elise blinked. She stumbled as she suddenly regained her balance. Her mind reeling as the memory the words she just said. Painfully aware of every raindrop that slammed into the roof of the dormitory building above, not unlike the bullets of sweat running down her forehead.

“I-I'm sorry! I didn't mean-” stammered Elise, as she looked around, her hands covering her mouth as her eyes darting around frantically, looking for some easy escape route.

Not here. Not now. Why? Is it the storm? Is it something about Vier? What is it about Vier anyway? No, no. It's not Vier's fault. This is your fault. It's all your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Vier Wolff
    “Hey Elise, you sure you don’t want any soup? You don’t look so hot right now.”
    She stopped. Simultaneously feeling both relieved and more confused.

You're not say anything? After what just happened? After-after what I just said? Does she- No, no. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

“Uh, yeah. Yeah! I think some soup would do me some good. Thanks, thanks, Vier,” said Elise, dropping her hands to her side in an effort to look less rattled than she was, and quite happy for the excuse to pretend that nothing just happened, “I-I should probably sit down for a minute too.”

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart & John Dove
    Location: Pinefall High Dormitory—Alexstrasza Lockhart’s Room (Second Floor, Room 115)

Date: 10.09.1994

"Please sit if you'd like," I reply with a small smile, more amused then anything else. "It is a shame for me to admit this, but I've been quite off in regards to whether or not another is involved in the supernatural as of late."

It's simply factual, so I can't deny it any longer. I'm utterly atrocious at telling whether someone is or is not a member of the turnside of the world. Having lived in it all my life, there would be no way for me to glance at another, and say with ease and confidence that they are a mage, or even something as simple as identifying them as 'someone who participates at all'. It's sad, but it's simply factual - I cannot tell the differences between the 'normal' and the 'abnormal', for I have spent the majority of my existence under the purview of abnormality.

"I suppose the best way to begin is honesty," I say, bending over to pick up the tattered remnants of a dissertation on Solomon, "I am a mage. Or a sorceress, or witch, or any combination of the words that you could come across. I am also by far the worst person possible for this sort of thing."

I am terrible at spying. At secrecy. At hiding things from others. I couldn't lie to save my own life, and I've never been capable of anything as grand as investigation either.

"Working on assumptions has worked out terribly for me so far. I assumed you were a mage because of your knowledge of demons. I assumed Souma was kin to me because of the scent that drapes itself around him. Both these assumptions were wrong."

It's with a small smile on my face that I pick up another book, gently brushing the dust off its cover.

"If your name is John Dove, then I suppose mine would simply be Alexstrasza Lockhart. While I am blessed enough - by God, by the devil, and by whatever other powers exist in this world - to have the prodigious talent required for those names, the one I most prefer is Alexstrasza."

It is not as if I don't understand the effect I can have on others. Quite the opposite, I understand it all too well. My arrogance is grating, my demeanor condescending, my words frustrating. The most common reaction to my presence is to leave.

"In theory, yes, there is a chance that this is the turnside of the world threatening me. In fact, more then a chance, given what happened yesterday," I say with a smile, tapping the side of my cheek. "It appears Subaru was correct! I'll have to apologize to her, I've immensely misjudged this location entirely."

This city is a supernatural city. It's simply obvious on the outset, really - the further discovery of more and more wondrous and beautiful things only proves it. While the destruction of my room is an annoyance, it is simply not something that can be helped. The curses of living in another world, but such curses make life...

More interesting.

More fulfilling.

Even in some sort of pseudo-half alive state, those otherworldly things make it oh-so fascinating to continue existing. Even when a step feels like it simply is too much, to take it anyways... That's the sort of thing that makes me smile.

"Ah, I apologize Mister Dove!" I smile at him, giving him a small thumbs up as I hold the shattered spine of a theory on necromantic practices. "I seem to have revealed too much! The world viewed upside down is after all, an exquisite existence, but my casual revealings are scant to cause me harm. It would probably be for the best if you no longer associated with me, for your own safety."

I'm not meant for this world. It's a sad fact that has been proven to me hundreds of times. This idyllic, peaceful place... it's really not meant for me at all. It's meant for people who belong in the sun and under the stars, not the likes of me, something that would be better left in the shadows and under a eclipsed moon. My overestimation of myself was my own curse, really. My arrogance is, as always, my downfall. My existence remains the wrong shade of paint on God's great work. I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

"Do consider revealing a little more to those you tend to associate with, though," I admonish him, waving a finger. "To speak in half-truths and almost-beliefs is only for the words of Gods and their servants. To speak a real, full truth... isn't that what's so wondrous about the turnside of the world in the first place?"

My head tilts to the side as I ponder my own statements, brushing my lips with my index. My eyes drift around the broken room, to the chair which lay on the ground, knocked asunder by whichever invader had entered my abode. I move towards it, righting it upwards as I sit down with a sigh, looking at the devastation that was once my bedroom. This was going to be a rather tedious night.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Elaine Winters

Elaine opened her mouth as if to say something, brows furrowed, but shut it, working her jaw for a moment, "I just don't like to trouble people with things I should be taking care of," She said, looking away, a dusting of red on her cheeks.

"Don't want to impose."

In her mind, it made sense, she took the girl in, therefore her welfare was her responsibility, so there wasn't any need for other people to feel like they had to help her out.

Right?

But she couldn't just go and refuse any assistance, she was stubborn and proud, not foolish.

Not about this, anyway.

She coughed, clearing her throat, "So, anyway, this doctor of a special sort, if they're the sort to know about things they shouldn't, which they seem to be, would be pretty helpful, sure. Just gotta pony up the cash," She shrugged, "That or a favor of some sort, which'd be both more and less welcome. Would probably be a little less B and E involved, too."

Or other possible things.

"So, we've got a few headings, doctor in the know, hospital, and the nurse."

Elaine frowned to herself, running her tongue over her teeth in thought, drink forgotten, eyes dark in thought.

They've all got costs, but which is the most likely to have the least repercussions, and which is the most likely to get what we know?

In addition, the hospital is already on our list for other matters, so it's possible we're going to have to get in there anyway.

Who's to say this doctor wouldn't have their own motivations as well?

Still...

"We'll work the doctor first, give them what we've got, see what the price tag is, we don't like it, we walk."

Her eyes were hooded, scanning the road ahead.

"After that," Her lips twitched, neither a frown or a smile, "We assess our options, if the little one got loose from somewhere, she might be being looked for, so I don't want noise."

Drawing attention was never a good idea, whistleblowers tended to end up in a very singular place in her experience.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Lucille opened her mouth, but no words came out. Wasn’t something like this absolutely, preposterously absurd? Why in the world would Mercedes’ mother know the lyrics to a traditional Japanese song? Was it something her mother found on her travels so memorable she’d sing it to her daughter? Or was it something about descent and inheritance?

Either way… this wasn’t really something she could really contribute to, wasn’t it? The only way for this mystery to be unraveled was for either of them to add more statements to the mix, and this was where Lucille Faraday felt attending Pinefall was rather annoying. Lying was what everyone did here, one way or another, but perhaps…

Perhaps this was a topic people could be open about?

Whether it was, Lucille didn’t say anything. What was there to say that could have added anything with meaning. She only nodded her head in affirmation—that there was one song taught to two people.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

“Aah, I thought you might have been at Pinefall before it was “restructured” or something.”

Anna could already imagine how difficult it would be for the older Mitchell brother. Juggling multiple jobs and teaching at the same time would have been hard enough for a person in his thirties, never mind someone his age. Lacking a high school diploma probably didn’t make it any easier either. There were probably only a few places in Seattle that would hire folks without absolutely no official qualifications and none of them probably paid a high enough salary to accommodate two people.

And that glint of pride that Zane had in his eyes as he looked at his younger brother filled Anna with fond memories of her own home, far away

How long had it been now? Four months?

I hope they’re all doing okay. I should really send Gran and everyone else at the orphanage a letter at some point…

"Psh! I'm nowhere near smart as bro is!"

"You should see the thing he's building in the garage!"
    It was at that point, that Anna was knocked out of her momentary bout of nostalgia by Shane’s words and Zane’s rather amusing subsequent reaction. Her ruby eyes were filled with equal parts curiosity and amusement, as she turned towards the older red-haired brother.

“Oh? You’re building something? What is it?”

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Location: Pinefall High Dormitory—Alexstrasza Lockhart’s Room (Second Floor, Room 115)

John nods. However, instead of allowing himself to sit down and relax, he drops on all fours, and makes to recover the scattered book pages and torn folios. It takes insignificant mental effort to connect this page with that page, creating small stacks of loose papers originally belonging to the same source.

“I apologize,” he speaks as his hands work. “It was never my intention to create a misunderstanding. Therefore, I will further clarify: I have been…to a degree, I have been aware of the supernatural for some time now. I am however not a part of it, at least not in the way you claim to be.”

He offers the elegant girl something like an apologetic smile. His knowledge of the occult he cannot call “supernatural” in nature, but it certainly involves abnormal circumstances.

“Today I have behaved under the assumption that Miss Lockhart is merely a…spirited occult hobbyist. Even now, I have no certainty that you truly wield supernatural power as you claim.”

After letting that mildest of taunts linger for a moment or two, John addresses her thoughtful warning. A voice in his mind warns him that he might be lowering his guard a little too much, but John Dove has decided he wants to be honest with Alexstrasza Lockhart, or at least as honest as he can afford to.

“I have…been looking for something. A certain answer. Perhaps I will only find it in…what do you call it? The ‘turnside of the world’,” he admits. “I am already aware that the only possibilities open to me are to find the truth, or find death at the end of a worthless life. To stop searching will never be an option.”

However, and to John’s own surprise, this is a secondary matter. He will look for the truth, with or without Alexstrasza Lockhart in his life. Therefore, this is not about the blonde being a doorway into “the turnside of the world”, a source of useful information or a tool he could exploit.

In a hollow world, there is no significant difference between “truth” and “lie”. If both are equally hollow, then why even make the distinction?

Just be yourself.

“Besides, I would be a rather poor friend if I turned my back to you at the first sight of trouble.”

With that said, he presents the owner of the ravaged bedroom a neat stack of deplorably torn pieces of paper, his hands idly working to smooth the wrinkles on the top page.

“Rude as it may be, I must reject your thoughtful suggestion. I appreciate your concern, but my words from last evening remain unchanged.”

It is a completely new path. It is therefore suitable for the completely new challenge that is Pinefall.

“This place is strange, suspicious and worrisome in a number of ways. In light of that, I’d like for the two of us to get along, Miss—no, Alexstrasza Lockhart.”

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“What do I even do with you…”

With the boys deciding to wait outside in the hallway, I was now alone with the mysterious girl...Who, while seemingly a bit more relaxed now, was still unable to talk, and her eyes were still filled with confusion.

Isn’t this...A bit too much like that other girl Elaine found? Confused, frightened, running away from something...Though, she doesn’t have a hospital gown,

Letting the girl rest on the floor for a moment, I prepare a pair of towels along with shampoo and shower gel, then hastily strip out of my pants and sweater - the completely soaked clothes were starting to feel heavy and cold as they were sticking to my skin, so getting out of them was quite a relief...Even if it was replaced by a different, just as unpleasant sensation as the air came in contact with the now uncovered wet skin, giving me goosebumps all over my body. Made me look forward to the hot shower even more…

As I carry the various items to the shower, I kick down my socks as well. Then, with the preparations done, I help the mysterious girl stand up and guide her to the bathroom, positioning her straight under the showerhead - but by how confused she still looked, I started suspecting that there was something more to this than just her still being shocked by the events. It looked more like...that she had absolutely no idea about anything around her.

Turning the tap and letting the hot water flow, I sit down behind the girl, and just take my pleasure in the water slowly warming me up, washing the dirt, sweat and worries away...Then, as it got comfortable enough, I removed the girl’s shirt - who, once again, showed little resistance, as she probably didn’t even understand what was going on - and the remainder of my own clothes, and threw all of them in the corner of the bathroom.

Now that she was completely naked, I went through every last bit of her body, looking for injuries or other abnormalities, but disregarding the few light scratches and bruises that she probably got while running through the forest, she seemed pretty much unharmed.

“Hmm…” I mumbled to myself, “At least you won’t really need medical attention…”

Finishing the the check-up, I reached for the body wash and shampoo - remembering in the meantime just how familiar this feel, this situation was, back when we would do this with Angelica...Not that I could do the same things to this innocent girl. Still, as I started properly cleaning her, rubbing the now foaming soap all over her body, I had to realize just how pretty she was. Her skin felt soft, almost silky, her complexion was beautiful, and her long, flowing hair with that weird gradient colour was just as charming. And then, her...breasts, they were so big...It’s just like her body was almost perfect in every aspect.

“Why can’t I be like this…”

Still, it was weird just how good it felt, making me forget just about everything else for the moment...Too bad that it eventually had to end, otherwise I would have just spent the rest of the night here.

Once done with thoroughly washing both our bodies, I closed the tap - saying a sad goodbye to the pleasant hot water - and started drying off the girl with one of the towels...But while she did seem to enjoy this whole thing and showed some interest regarding her surroundings, she still showed no signs of understanding or being able to communicate, other than the few incomprehensible sounds and gestures.

Is she even a human…?

Dressing her up proved to be a bit of a challenge - since while the panties and leggings fit her just fine, my bra size was just a few sizes smaller than hers...Not to mention that my normal shirts just looked kind tight and uncomfortable on her, so instead, she had to do with an absolutely oversized shirt and sweater. But, at the very least, she looked a lot better now, clean and properly dressed, now literally all that was left is to just…

Hmm…

Letting the girl rest on my bed with her ever confused expression, I sit behind her once again, this time with a blow dryer in my hand, and as I start drying her hair, I decide to take a closer look at things...Focusing my mind on hers, the connection gets gradually sharper, but...What’s there, is not exactly that of a human mind. Rather, it’s like a wild, unfocused, constantly changing mess, something more of just instinctive reactions to her surroundings instead of clear thoughts…

Digging a little deeper, something else starts feeling completely off as well - rather than just her mind forming these unusual thoughts, it’s her whole brain that seems to be different, in just about every way...How it’s functioning I can’t even really make out, but judging from her behaviour it’s clearly on more of a primitive level...The structure, or at least the composition doesn’t resemble that of a human’s, or even an animal’s brain either, with how her CSF, along with an extra vacuole in her nerve cells - that also shouldn’t be there to begin with - seems to contain some amount of anthocyanin…

Like a plant? How exactly is this possible? Does her blood contain it as well then? But if her chemical make-up is otherwise humanoid, including the pH of her blood, then...Would that mean that the fluids inside her body are discoloured to a shade of purple or blue? Maybe I could just cut her finger and find out, but...I don’t exactly feel like hurting her…

There was still a lot more to find out, but her hair was dry and neatly combed now, and the others were still waiting for us outside, so I settled with this much for now. It’s not like she is just going to disappear now, is she...

After patting the girl’s head for a bit, I gathered the dirty and soaked clothes and hid them from sight, then opened the door and peeked out into the hallway - noting with relief that the boys were still there.

“We...We are ready, I suppose. You guys want to come inside, or…?”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by James Halloway
    "Well met, Prushka Who Is Not a Kid."
    Yep. I knew it! Mr. Halloway is definitely that type. The 'serious Sergeant', 'ex-operative', 'seen some awful stuff and is used to it' type. Actually, that's the kind of adult I don't dislike that much... my fingers twitch, and I almost salute on reflex as he explains that this is indeed the library I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by James Halloway
    "... My niece can show you to it, and help you with locating what books you need."
    "Thank you, Sir!"

Ah, it slipped out. That old habit. Even though I didn't mean to, Mr. Halloway's vibe is just too similar.

"Um, I mean, that'd be great, thanks-"

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Halloway
    "W-what? Why me!?"
    "...ah."

Now that I'm actually paying attention, she seems... rather irate. It could be the exasperation of a teenager being forced to do some menial chore, but that'd be more eye-rolling and less high volume, wouldn't it?

"Is it a bad time?" I ask Rachel, settling next to Vivi. "I'm not in a rush or anything. Books don't run away. If you're busy, I can wait. Oh, but I wanna talk to you too if you have time! That's why you came here too, right, Vivi?"

A flash of light and a crack of thunder cut through the muffled sound of the storm outside.

"Besides, it's not like we can run away, either..."

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff & Elise Pelltier

After the... incident, it didn't take Vier and Elise too long to arrive to the kitchen, where they were to witness the end-result of another "incident".

Though this one was much less serious and tense in its atmosphere.

Arriving to the room, the two immediately saw that something rather amusing and troublesome was going on. First there was Gabi Bahkauv, who was now squatting on one of the kitchen counters, face white as sheet and eyes wide as plates. He was trembling all over, his gaze locked into the far corner of the room. In that room was Aleen King, trembling in rather similiar fashion. She, on the other hand, was still wrapped in her protective blanket barrier, though thanks to being in half-sitting position with her back against the corner, her face was quite visible. And she was clearly just as shaken as the effeminate boy was.

And then... there was Ramia Ramalsaqr.

Who was currently laughing her ass off, upper body sprawled on the table and beating said table with her fist in a fit of laughter, trying to contain herself.

The fourth person into the room, however, was Ubon Sĕeklêun. The cyanhead was standing there, looking like she had arrived not long ago either and confusion on her face pretty clear. Hearing footfalls from the doorway, she whipped around, about to say something... but when she saw the faces of Vier and Elise, that confusion just grew even more.

It was like the hyperactive girl was about to transform into a big, big question mark.

"Err, Virrie? Essie? What'cha doing? We gots a... Okay, I dunno at all what we gots here, but everybody's being super loud!" Ubon exclaimed, pointing at both Gabi and Aleen. "Also I thinks Allie's got some kinda new game going on, but I cant's figure out howzit suppose to work! Other than bundling up with blankets and worming 'round!"

The cyanhead undulated her body around like a worm to demonstrate what she meant.

"Did'cha come play too, or just guffaw like Rammie over here--- Oh?"

Ubon was about to say something else, but it was at that point that a rather surprising sound echoed into the kitchen. It was a faint melody, strong yet beautiful, almost melancholic and sorrowful in its sound. From somewhere close by, perhaps from the next room over, a song was echoing carried by two voices that could not have been more different. Other one was strong, deeper and confident, a voice of someone who truly knew how to sing. The second voice was lighter, more fragile and much more amateurish... but at the same time, it gave that very voice a very pure tone. These two voices, singing a song in a language that was hard to make out, matched each other almost perfectly, like two reflections.

The song continued, momentarily even making the storm outside seem far away and driving away thoughts of lightning. Gabi had stopped shaking, listening to the song, and Aleen peeked from within her blankets, curious and amazed look on her face. Even Ramia finally got her laughing in check, forcing herself to quiet down so he could hear the melody better.

"... Wowza..." Ubon said quietly, eyes glued to the corridor from where the song was coming from. "... That's super pretty..."

Elaine Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "We'll work the doctor first, give them what we've got, see what the price tag is, we don't like it, we walk. After that, we assess our options, if the little one got loose from somewhere, she might be being looked for, so I don't want noise."
    Both Kean and Johanna nodded, and the latter rummaged through the pocket of her jacket to fish out a small notebook and a pen. She opened it, wrote something that looked a lot like an address to it, ripped the piece and slid the thing over the table for Elaine. Now that the blonde student got a better look, it certainly was an address... though with having been at Pinefall for just under a week, finding it would have been difficult.

"You can find the doctor in the white building just off the intersection where the road starts climbing up to Owl's Nest. The foot of that hill, in other words," Johanna explained, tapping the piece of paper with her pen. "Knock on the door, say I sent you, and you should get in. Just... try not strangle the doctor. I know they're a rude person with a greedy personality, but... well, you'll see."

Judging from the slightly strained tone of the usually happy deputy's voice, it sounded like she had had her own "encounter" with the good doctor, and it hadn't been the most pleasant one. However, the way she spoke of their skill, this doctor must have been a true professional. Even back when Elaine and Johanna had been working together, the latter had been slow to trust anyone to take care of medical problems she had - even if she was usually so happy-go-lucky.

"If you want me to chip in, I can... as long as you pay me back," Kean commented, finishing his beer. "Just remember my purse strings won't open for cheap! I'll be expecting it back with an interest."

He punctuated what he said with a chuckle, showing he wasn't being totally serious about hawking after a loan given.

However, with that out of the way, there was... a sudden feeling like they had run out of proper, important to discuss. After all, visiting the doctor in a storm like this was just foolish, and they were still at the bar with Johanna. Curfew at the dormitory wouldn't hit in hours and it was unlikely that the teachers were enforcing it during an evening like this.

Perhaps sensing this, Kean raised his empty beer can and cocked an eyebrow at Elaine.

"... Want me to get us seconds?" he asked. "Or do you still have plans for the evening?"

Well, wasn't that the question?

Anna Vandemeel

“Oh? You’re building something? What is it?”
    Zane groaned with a sigh, a model example of somebody being modest and not wanting to discuss their own work too much.

"N-nothing. It's just a... project I have going on," the elder brother finally admitted. "Been working on it when I have the time. Or rather, fixing it since it got busted. So, yeah, nothing importan---"

"It is important!" Shane suddenly piped up, looking a bit miffed. "You sold the truck and the other car, but kept that one, right! And you keep tinkering it every day late into the night! See, it totally is important, Anna, no matter how bro tries to claim it's not! He's just being embarrassed since he's ashamed to have his own hobbies or somethi---"

Looking like had just about enough, Zane reached over the table and rapped his knuckle over the head of his brother. Shane yelped and scooted backwards on his chair, a rather victorious and smug grin on his face now that he had been able to slip out that hidden detail of the elder Mitchell. Zane, on the other hand, heaved another sigh and shook his head, sitting back on his chair.

Leaning on the table with his elbow, the redhead turned towards Anna.

"Err... yeah. It's just a car," he admitted. "I... I suppose it's... important to me in some ways. And I want to, nah, need to get it working again. But, like I said, it got busted a long time ago and it's been a slow process... Eh, it's kind of a stupid thing."

Shane snorted.

"No it isn't! It's super cool!" the boy commented, though stopped when he earned another glare from his brother.

... Still, Zane couldn't help but to flash a momentary grin.

"--- It's a Chevy Corvette. The convertible model from 1967."

Looks like even he couldn't help some of his pride at the machine shine through, though it was understandable since, reading between the lines, he was repairing and restoring it single-handedly, on his own free time.

Lucille Faraday

Eventually, the song faded away.

Leaving only the sounds of the distant storm and rain.

And two girls who couldn't have been more different with wondering, slightly confused expressions on their face - and one Lucille Faraday who sat with them, unconnected to this all... at least on the surface level. However, she was the one neutral pair of ears to have heard the song, and to have realized it truly was the same one - no matter how absurd that fact was. To witness that it was one song, taught to two people who came from other ends of the world... was this, perhaps, just one more mystery to add the growing pile of them that Pinefall and Road's End supposedly gathered?

"... Gawd..." Mercedes said quietly, shaking her. "This... this is, like, so out there..."

An awkward laugh escaped from Subaru's lips and she scratched the back of her head, nodding in agreement.

"It... It truly is something amazing. Never once would have I expected to hear a song, already so rare even in Hokkaido, to come from the lips of a person born and raised here..." the smaller girl spoke. "It does make me wonder, however... where did your esteemed mother learn of this song? Did she travel a lot?"

A complex expression appeared on Mercedes's face upon hearing that question. Just one glance of it was enough to tell that there might have been quite the stormy relationship between this daughter and her mother. Or, that at the very least, they weren't always seeing eye-to-eye. Well, judging by how Mercedes was and if her personality was in any way learned from said mother, it was easy enough to imagine why.

"She... Mom doesn't, like, talk much about her past... or much anything, really," Mercedes finally spoke. "Just stares at those e-mails of hers. Or speaks in phone 'bout stuff no one, like cares about. Or just drinks wine all evening. Tch. Can't imagine a constantly drunk bitch like her traveling anywhere."

It was a harsh assessment made with harsh words... and perhaps that momentary twitch of her eyes meant that Mercedes realized just how harsh she sounded just now.

It would have also explained why she quickly switched her attention back to Lucille.

"W-what about, like, your mother Lucy? She the adventurous sort?" the starlet asked, before smirking faintly. "Or is she, like, a total high-born hardass like her daughter?"

Hisa Momoi & Colt Davin

“What have I done, handing her over to Hisa? This was my chance, this was my night. Coulda... shoulda... woulda... didn't..."
    Pyry chuckled loudly, and before Colt could stop it or predict it, the athlete's huge hand patted him on the shoulder in what must have meant to be an encouraging way. Instead it just shook water off the brown-haired boy and almost drove him to the floor. The strength behind those arms was ridiculous... but then again, judging just how the black T-shirt Pyry was wearing was now hugging his abs when wet... it was to be expected.

"Hah! Stop moping, you haven't lost yet. Besides, if you want, I'll put in good word for you. Wouldn't have to even lie," Pyry spoke with a grin. "I mean, doing something because something had to be done, especially if you couldn't stand doing nothing... Dunno how it's over here in America, but to me that's a right manly thing to do. Doing what needs to be done, because your heart tells you to... Yeah. I don't care how you spin it. That's manly."

From where he was sitting, Inacio nodded sagely, though it was cut-off by a momentary sneeze.

"--- Ah, crap, we really should have hit the showers as well..." the musician mumbled before continuing. "But, yes, Pyry is right. It doesn't matter even if you were jumpy or complained all the time. You did what needed to be done. That's more than many can say, actually. If you hadn't, we would---"

Another sneeze echoed in the hallway.

Afterwards, Inacio rubbed his nose, looking quite annoyed his words had been interrupted like that. But before he could even think about continuing them, the door opened with a a creak and Hisa's head (fresh from shower) peeked out into the corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “We...We are ready, I suppose. You guys want to come inside, or…?”
    "Foooo...?"

--- And Hisa wasn't exactly alone.

Peeking curiously through the crack, her head above Hisa's, was the mystery girl from before who now looked much better (and more clothed) than she had previously. She had also, apparently, sneaked up on the scarred girl as Hisa had no idea the girl was even there before she let out that strange sound of wonder as she peered into the hallway. The gem-like empty eyes scanned the corridor, stopping at each of the boys to take in how they looked. First Inacio sitting on the floor, second Pyry leaning against the wall, and finally Colt who---

"Muu!" the girl piped up, and a smile spread to her lips even if her still stayed dead.

Almost like the sight of Colt had caused it. As well as generally the fact that the girl with the gradient hair now looked like she was a dog wagging its tail.

... Just what was up with those noises she was making? They didn't resemble any sort of language.

"Err... she looks better," Pyry commented, glancing at Hisa with clear question about complications in his eyes. "Shall we pile in? Better than sit here and discuss this in the corridor... Oh. Oh?"

That was strange.

At that exact moment, everyone could hear a distant song echo from somewhere deep within the second floor.

A sorrowful, melancholic melody that made even the mysterious girl stop for a moment and listen.

Alexstrasza Lockhart & John Dove
    Location: Pinefall High Dormitory — Alexstrasza Lockhart’s Room

In the end, it was almost a mundane meeting.

Even in the ruined room, a momentary calm silence could be felt, with the storm seeming more distant even with the broken window.

Yes, just a mundane meeting in a place that was beginning to feel far more than mundane.

--- And from somewhere far away, so distant that it was barely audible, both John Dove and Alexstrasza Lockhart could hear a quiet song.

Song by voices that they both could recognize - at least one of them. But while John Dove could be certain of the one who sang with a young, pure and fragile voice, Alexstrasza Lockhart only recognized the voice much more confident and experienced.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; September 11th, 2019 at 09:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

It made a lot of sense, hearing Mercedes describe her mother like that. From the sound of it, it was a household where people managed to coexist, but not live together. If anything, Lucille felt like she understood more of the reason why Mercedes’ aggressiveness existed as well as her loneliness. People who weren’t shown love had a hard time giving theirs away. Intimacy was like trust, something that had to be earned.

“Oh, my mother?”

Lucille looked a bit taken aback, not expecting the sudden change in topic. She then thought back on her parents, but it was painfully true that she had not seen them recently, except for when she left to Pinefall. Too many trips for every single family member, scattered across the globe to do this and that. They waved her goodbye and hoped she’d be better soon and all that, but at the same time…

Could she put that thought into words? It seemed almost heretical.

“My mother eloped with my father. He was in an arranged marriage… but when he met her, he knew she was the one.” That was a story Sakura had told her, not her parents. The joys of being surrounded by servants meant that parents only really had to be overseers. “My father’s always been the more emotional one, though. Mom’s really about the prim and proper. She loved showing me off at parties. The most well-behaved girl and all that.”

“She checks in on me every so often but she wasn’t… they both felt really uncomfortable around me. I guess I was too much of a perfect child.” Lucille laughed, but there was a hollow ring to it. “It got a bit better after… the accident. Now she’s just disappointed. She looks at me like a person now, not a trophy.”

It wasn’t Lucille’s words that made the situation so bizarre. At least, not the contents. No, it was the undercurrent of guilt in her voice.

Wasn’t it unreasonable for a girl to sound so torn up about not being flawless?

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff & Elise Pelltier

After Elise Pelltier said that she wasn’t too good after whatever experience she went to… Her reaction to after her experience told me everything I needed to know. If I could do over that moment, it would be great but that reveal a little too much about me in the process.

The remainder of the walk to the kitchen was very quiet. I already felt like I wasted enough time with Xylia Pheme and Elise Pelltier (?). Arguably, I could have avoided the situation in the kitchen if I beat Aleen to the kitchen. Knowing how outran her the other day, I’m pretty sure I could’ve beaten her furious crawling with my current brisk walk.

Granted, it might be worth it a little bit to see this scene. Gabi Bahkauv was squatting on top of one of the kitchen counters as far away from the entrance of the kitchen. I’m guessing that seeing the mobile blanket fortress crawl into the kitchen caused him to massively panic. Aleen was in the closest corner to the doorway and cowering just as hard as Gabi Bahkauv. Maybe even worse considering that she was still inside her mobile blanket fort with only her head poking out. Meanwhile Ramia Ramalsaqr was composed enough to appreciate the hilarity of this situation.

However, I didn’t expect another person to be in here aside from those three. And that person was Ubon Sĕeklêun. Ubon Sĕeklêun had probably the most normal response if you came to the scene late. Confused at what was occurring in this room. Aleen and Gabi Bahkauv both huddled in their respective corners while Ramia Ramalsaqr was dying to laughter at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon Sĕeklêun
    "Err, Virrie? Essie? What'cha doing? We gots a... Okay, I dunno at all what we gots here, but everybody's being super loud! Also I thinks Allie's got some kinda new game going on, but I cant's figure out howzit suppose to work! Other than bundling up with blankets and worming 'round!

Did'cha come play too, or just guffaw like Rammie over here--- Oh?"
    I eyed both Gabi Bahkauv and Aleen before sighing and addressing Ubon.

“Ubon they’re not playing a game… They’re both surprised by things. Well I guess it should be fine to leave them as is. I’ll see if I can make some kartoffelsuppe.”

I started rummaging through the cupboards before stopping to hear a song coming from the adjacent room. While I didn’t fully understand the words, I could at least recognize the language. Whoever was in the dining room, they were singing Japanese. Despite everything that is happening, I felt myself relax a little while listening to this strange Japanese song. After a little bit, I started humming along intent on continuing my soup.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

“She checks in on me every so often but she wasn’t… they both felt really uncomfortable around me. I guess I was too much of a perfect child. It got a bit better after… the accident. Now she’s just disappointed. She looks at me like a person now, not a trophy.”
    Mercedes's eyes narrowed as she looked at the blonde, and soon enough, the sound of her derisive snort could be heard.

"Uncomfortable when you're, like, a trophy, disappointed when you're a person... Gawd. Sounds like someone who wasn't ready for kids in first place. Or rather, didn't know how kids are or whatevah," the starlet said harshly, clearly having no sympathy towards Lucille's mother. "Anyone who thinks their kid is, like, something to parade 'round... that's the type who never got what it takes to be a parent in the first place."

Suddenly, a strange glint appeared in the starlet's eye and a smirk spread to her face. It was a cocky expression, sure, but from where Lucille was, she could also sense a strange sort of warmth from it... both empathy and a sense of camaraderie. Mercedes's twisted way of joking and friendship that filled her face, despite it looking the shade of her usual arrogance.

"Well, don't worry Lucy. If I, like, get my way, I'll make you properly selfish once the year is over so that you can shove it right in her face," the actress continued. "And, of course, I always get my way. So don't even bother resisting!"

A sound that was somewhere between a slightly nasty cackle and a playful giggle escaped from her lips, before Mercedes turned towards Subaru. The Japanese girl had been following the conversation with an attentive expression, not daring to interrupt either of the older girls until they had said their fill about their parentage.

"Well? What 'bout you, short stuff? Have you, like, grievances about your mother?" Mercedes asked, perhaps a bit surprisingly.

Once again, Subaru laughed and scratched the back of her head rather awkwardly.

"W-well, while I do not think my esteemed mother was particularly harsh towards me, I do have to admit she was rather strict when raising u--- me," Subaru admitted, and the small dog in front of her on the table nuzzled her hand with his head. "From the moment I was born, I was raised to take over the role of a..."

Subaru hesitated for a moment.

"... A saishu. And since my family has a rather... long history and is beholden to tradition, it made sense," the girl continued after stumbling over her words. "I suppose you could say that my upbringing was more along the lines of education and preparation than true childhood... B-but, do not take it that I am bitter! In fact, I am quite glad that my family prepared me so well to the role I am meant to fill! If I was not so prepared, I would have been overwhelmed a long time ago."

Even though she tried to downplay it, reading between the lines it was rather easy to understand Subaru's situation at the home as well. A deeply traditional family, a role to which she was prepared for from the moment of her birth, high expectations of what she was... and innumerable eyes upon her to watch whether she succeeded or failed; In that way, Subaru Iburi was surprisingly similar to Mercedes West and Lucille Faraday. Their backgrounds were different, of course, but at their cores... also rather akin to each other.

Maybe that was why these three girls now found themselves here, together, despite how different they were?

"Saishu...?" Mercedes asking, tasting the strange term with her lips. "Like, what the hell is that even supposed to be?"

Subaru laughed again, though she kept her eyes away from those of the other two - a sign of a rather poor liar. Meanwhile, on the table, the dog known as Tonkori finally dared to approach the other two girls (perhaps sensing that the situation wasn't as 'dangerous' as previously, with Mercedes assaulting his owner's hair). Tonkori stopped on the other edge of the table, in front of Lucille, his nose sniffing at the air and leaning closer to the blonde girl.

"Ahahaha... w-well, I suppose you could call it a type of a priestess or someone performing religious services..." Subaru answered, though from how evasive the answer was, it was easy to tell that she wasn't telling the whole truth.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Was she even surprised at Mercedes’ answer? That’s probably what it sounded like to anyone else. Lucille didn’t blame her mother, not at all, because fundamentally, the fault lay with her. If anything, the turn of this conversation merely made her feel compelled to defend her.

“You can try, but I won’t budge,” Lucille said, brushing off Mercedes’ attempt to make her more selfish. Wasn’t idling about like this as selfish as anything else in the world? There were more important things to do, but she was putting them off, spending her precious time in idle conversation. “Besides, it’s not like my mom is neglectful or anything… she just has high expectations of me. And I don’t disagree with those expectations, or for her taking pride in that, so…”

It was then Mercedes cut her off by asking Subaru the same question, and yet the same tale was retold, with a different garnish. This, Lucille understood a bit more strongly than Mercedes’ story. The pressure of duty. Wasn’t that something that still weighed her down, even now? No matter what Sakura said, it wasn’t something she could forget. Not even temporarily.

It was etched into her very being. A feeling as ingrained as instinct.

Lucille’s thoughts were interrupted by the approaching Tonkori, whom she gladly took into her hands and began to pet. She was a fan of dogs. Dogs truly were man’s best friend. She’d never met a dog she disliked.

Still, as Subaru finished speaking, being evasive on the purpose of a saishu, she understood that, too. Plenty of people in Pinefall lied. And lying about your role, because it was too bizarre to be understood by the many… She wouldn’t pry. Prying was perhaps the smarter thing to do, but Lucille was always someone willing to respect boundaries.

“You don’t have to say anything if you don’t want to say it,” Lucille gently said, providing herself as the shield to block any unwanted curiosity Mercedes may have possessed. “What people reveal to others is something they should dictate at their pace.”