Page 215 of 244 FirstFirst ... 115165205210213214215216217220225 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,300 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka?
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 10.09.1994 (SAT)
    Weather: Overcast

"E-eye for an eye?"

Somehow, hearing promises of vengeance from Ahti, even in his current state, sends a chill up my spine. He's... really gonna do it some day, isn't he? Calling upon the cursed numen of revenge, He'll turn me into a quivering mess, just like we did to him! Oh no...

"U-um, oh geeze, oh no, oh man..." We really went too far, didn't we? Ugh, then there's only one thing to do...

"A-all right, b-b-bring it on! And d-d-don't hold back! When you do it, do it until I can barely move! T-t-that'll be your justice-!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpa
    "Umm... where... where did the kitty go?"
    "...eh?"

Hey, Alpa, don't tell me... you haven't noticed? His ears are right there! And his hair is the same colour! Don't tell me you're denying reality already!?

Or maybe... maybe this is her way of protecting herself from the consequences of her actions. Like a mind's subconscious instinct. In that case... alright, Alpa. For your sake, I'll bear this sin for the both of us.

"Kitty's outta commission for a bit 'cus we did a number on him. Don't worry, Ahti's gonna be just fine! Some of those sweets from last time might bring him back quicker though!"

I stand, brush the dust off my legs, and promptly invade Alpa's personal space.

"What about you, Alpa!? Everything good? Not scared anymore? Haven't run into any ghosts or monsters or horror movie villains? Didn't spot strange phenomena or anything while keeping an eye out?"

She's one of the more isolated classmates, and I can't forget Hisa's story about last week. Plus, I mean, look at her! Someone this cute shouldn't be left alone!

"I'm here to check up on you! The nurse ain't here, so I'll be your Nightingale tonight!"

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Lowgate
    "... Maxine tried the longest, I think. Until Jake managed to even push her away. I remember her saying, to his face, that he'd become almost unrecognizable. And Jake just... laughed. Sadly. Lonely. Almost like he knew that was true but he couldn't help it. Guess... we tended to push the responsibility onto his shoulders too often. After something like that, it was natural he'd crack. That's what drove everyone apart the most, I think. Albert took to his obsession, Tommy to the bottle, Rachel to her work... Eliya disappeared, Tris couldn't bear it, Max shut herself off in the forest - she's practically hermit these days. And as for Angie - Angelica... she left the town. Saying that she had something else she had to do. I'm not sure if she was just running away from bad memories or what, but it was if these events had... galvanized her for something else."
    Elise pushed a piece of potato around her plate as she considered the fates of the member of the Last Class, and how they coped with what had happened to them that dark day.

"I wonder if what happened was enough for Angie to harden her heart for whatever she needed to do. I'm a little worried about what happened to her though. Killing your heart to save someone you love sounds like it'd be an easy way to lose sight of the thing you wanted to do in the first place."

Just what did she need to do if her love for her sister wasn't enough? Sounds like she thought she needed to hurt her to save her. I hope that wasn't the case.

"What's this about Albert's… obsession?"

Small towns are always in desperate need of a good doctor, and I can see why someone like Dr. Roslin would want to return to his hometown to help, but I can't imagine it'd be easy to work in a place as dubious as End's Mercy has become. However, if I had a friend trapped in a coma that defied medical explanation, I might understand.

"His obsession wouldn't happen to have something to do with you and your former condition would it?" asked Elise worriedly.

If that's the case, he might be very worked up about his friend suddenly getting up and walking away one night.

"As for Devon… was he closer with any of your other classmates than he was to you?" asked Elise, "Maybe someone else might know more about him?"

Elise's frown deepened as she considered further what Samuel had said about Devon. The mention of him living alone reminded Elise of another question about the Last Class she'd wondered about.

"For that matter… I've kind of wondered… your class didn't have access to the dormitories like we do. Just where did everyone live anyway?" asked Elise, "That you know of anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille Faraday
    “‘Under the neon’ refers to the diner, but ‘who dreams of the ocean vast’… Does that ring a bell, Samuel?”
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Lowgate
    "I see... ‘someone who lives under the neon, who dreams of the ocean vast. Well, it definitely sounds like this place. I don't think there's any other prominent neon sign in this town. And while I do not know about dreaming, I do know who lives here. Avery Walker. And her daughter. Just the two of them. Their apartment is on the second floor"
    Elise's gaze followed Samuel's nod towards Avery Walker, who was standing by the counter looking seemingly preoccupied by something.

I hope everything's okay. I don't remember Mrs. Walker looking this troubled the last time I was here.

"Dreams of the ocean vast… I wonder what that means? Does she dream of the ocean and its depths, or of traveling the sea? The riddle emphasizes the ocean's vastness. Maybe she dreams of sailing far away from here? Or something far away across the ocean? Something on some distant shore?"

Elise took a moment to consider what little she knew about the Walkers. It mostly amounted to a few rumours, an old article in a newspaper, and her visit to the diner on a rainy Friday night with Travis that never happened.

"I think I remember hearing Cathie say she was a fan of Nirvana? One of their album covers ah- actually, you know what? Nevermind."

Elise shook her head. That bit of speculation had been a bit of a stretch anyway.

She continued in a hushed tone, just barely louder than a whisper, worried that Mrs. Walker might hear her, "I heard that Mrs. Walker's husband died overseas. She caught a glimpse of the Disembodied Man shortly before receiving the news of her husband's passing."

She fell silent for a moment as she skewered a potato with her fork and munched on it before she continued.

"I wonder what either of them would know about local vampires though. Maybe vampires really like cherry pie too?"

Can't say I blame them if that's the case.

Elise frowned to herself as she allowed herself to further digest Samuel's tale.

"There's one other thing that bothers me about that day though… That cursed revolver Remmie had… it should only have seven bullets given the nature of its curse. Six bullets that can hit any target, but the seventh bullet goes wherever the Devil wills. Remmie used her six bullets to disable and destroy that biological suit of armour Nevada was piloting, and Nevada fired the seventh bullet…"

Elise trailed off as she glanced at where she knew the bullet scar was still on Samuel's head, mostly hidden under his fluffy hair.

There's a certain sad irony there. Samuel probably didn't need to throw himself in the path of that bullet. It was always going to hit him.

"... So what shot Remmington Hartley then?" asked Elise, "Her gun was out of bullets, so it couldn't have been hers. I'd imagine the sound of a rifle should be pretty distinct compared to a pistol. Did someone else have another gun there?"

Elise sighed harshly to herself.

"I think I'm going to have to ask more questions to some of the other people who remember, and dredge up more bad memories of that day," admitted Elise guiltily.

Blog Entries
    “Vier”
    Date: 10.09.1994

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen King
    "And that's a lie right there."
    Of all the people who I expected to call out to me at this time, I didn’t expect her to do it. It wasn’t just that but it was also her demeanor. If everyone else confronted me in a roundabout and subtle way, then she was openly angry and confrontational about it. The person who called me out wasn’t someone from my side of the world or even someone older than me. No, it was the most normal person of this group, Aleen. She was standing in front of me and challenging me head on.

"We haven't known each other for that long... even if it sometimes totes feels like we have. But I think I'm good enough at reading people I know to understand when they're telling an obvious lie. And right now you are, Vier. Or rather, you're probably technically telling the truth, but leaving something out, just so you can say to yourself you're not lying. Because that's the kind of person you are, aren't you, Vier? As long as you can justify it to yourself and convince yourself, you can do anything. As long as you can argue the logic is sound, you can smother any voice inside you that says it's wrong. And that's how you keep gathering up all the problems onto your own shoulders."
    Because I have to be willing to do anything. I have to do everything. If I have to do everything, then at the very least I should do everything logically. If I didn't then I would die, Zieg would die, civilians would die. Failure wasn’t and isn’t an option. I have to. I can’t let myself be distracted by emotions.

"So you experienced some horrible stuff? And you want to be alone because of that? Well, take it from someone who's actually been through that before, and before any emotional maturity - that won't help. Not one bit. It gets you nothing. Because that's how life is. You want to mope alone, all depressed? Tough! That just means it'll actually fall to the rest of us to deal with this stuff, because alone, you won't get anything done. And why do I know that?

--- Because unlike what you seem to think, Vier, you don't got monopoly on misery around here. Some of us actually had to learn the lesson I'm telling you the hard way, without anyone to tell us what dumbasses we were being."
    I finally ended up looking away from Aleen and instead ended up looking at Fyrtio awkwardly raising her hand into the air like some kind of schoolgirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtio
    ".............. U-uh."
    "... E-eh, yes. Um. Fio? What is it? Do you want to, uh, share something?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtio
    "Yes. I think that before we go any further, one thing should be made clear. --- Just so everybody knows, I've never met her before. In other words, I'm literally not the person she seems to think I am. I mean, I think I might have an idea who she's referring to, but I'm not that woman. I don't have any past baggage with Vier Wolff, I've never been in any branch with her, and I've certainly never deserted any place with her. The only reason I've been so cautious of her so far is that she's been acting very suspicious, and... I mean, her equipment is hardly civilian in nature. I was starting to think she was some government operative, so I've kept an eye on her. That's all. So, uh, no. Sorry. But I'm not someone you share any history with. I mean, while I do know some German, and used it since I thought your native tongue might make you listen, I... uh... In the first place, I'm… J-Je suis parisien..."
    ???

“Aber warum heißt du dann auf SCHWEDISCH VIERZIG!? Nein nein nein…
    Nichts hält davon ab, es zufällig zu verwenden, aber...”

F-FRENCH?! I mistook a French as Zieg?! If she was here, she would be disgusted with me. Disgusted! Me mistaking her with a Frog. She would’ve forgiven me for mistaking her with an Austrian or some place similar. BUT NEVER A FROG! I would attribute my deduction to a bunch of fairly logical, circumstantial evidence. Like what are the odds of someone randomly themselves with the Swedish word for 40 which was her last known confirmed location for me? Little to none. Swedish is rare outside of the Northern European region let alone an isolated American town on the western coast.

“Gott sei Dank... Dachte ich...”

I cough into my hand. Zieg was out there… And I didn’t erase myself from her memories. I looked at everyone here. Even if I didn’t erase Vier or Vier Wolff from their memories… I would just fade. Once it happens, moments like Aleen and Vier Wolff eating Avery’s sweet cherry pie would become… Just Aleen eating it by herself and getting into a fight with Cathie Walker. So even if I don’t do it now… I shouldn’t make more memories that’ll fade. Especially since Vier Wolff is a horrible friend who can’t tell when her first new friend has been replaced… Even if Liana says I shouldn’t blame myself for last night.

“Ahem. Looks like I came across a red herring… Even if you do look like Zieg a little bit... I think I’m going to skip breakfast and go set up that defensive point now...”

I turned around and started making my way away from the country club’s lobby and towards the rooftop’s ladder. However before leaving again, I decided to leave something for Liana.

“By the way, your boyfriend broke into a safe at the owner’s garage. Said that you couldn’t get your hands dirty before grabbing a black folder.”

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

I nodded as Souma spoke, thinking it over with a frown as I shook my head.

My dearest Potemkin, investigating is... Not so easy. If anything, I'd say it is rather difficult. In another life, as a supernatural detective, I do not think I would have faired very well, to be perfectly frank with you, the turnside of Alexstrasza. Perhaps you would have faired better, being all emotion and no strength? Is that a grander way to live, then being all strength and no emotion?

"Then in that case, the only solution is to head to the science room, is it not?" I said to Souma, with wide unblinking eyes. "After all, a monster such as I has no need to eat. It is better to check the most obvious answer first and tread backwards from there. We will head to the storage room after as well..."

I paused for a moment, before raising my left hand in a V shape and smiling brightly.

"Because that is the order they were spoken in! O-or we could do them in reverse order as well! I-I definitely do not have any sort of preference!"

Successfully, I managed to disguise my desire to go to the one I'd chosen first.

"It would also let us examine those rooms as well. I only know of Gabi's disappearance, after all. I cannot know of the places and things other classmates get up to, without at least speaking to them sometimes."

I bit my lip and tapped my foot on the ground with a furrowed brow, rubbing the skin next to my lip with one hand as I held my elbow with the other. The cloth of my sweater rubbed against my fingers, and my fang briefly showed, scratching against the edge of my lip as I thought.

"Perhaps I should try to make more acquaintances, in the future...? After all, if I die today, I can only hope my eyes open like they did this week..."

I looked up at Souma with curious eyes, tilting my head to the side as I looked at him.

"Souma, shall we try, as they say, 'conversing' as we make our way to the science room?"

I suppose one can never have too many acquaintances in their life.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

"Scandinavian settlers huh? Feels to give a bit more basis to the things we talked about earlier."

Though, that would also imply that their history went way back, if their influence could root itself so deep even alongside the native americans and other European settlers...Otherwise, it wouldn't be possible for a culture so different to be so prominent.

But then, for a cave full of nordic runes to exist, those roots would have to reach even further down than what one would assume...

Granted, the fact that we've not heard anything about the Kincaids until now might mean that their relevance has dwindled quite a bit since. That, or they are merely pulling strings from the shadows now, and if they are anything like the other two families, then certainly not for good purposes.

"Also, the medical company you're talking about might be Gottlieb. From what I gather, they're likely involved in the whole deal surrounding the mystery medicine and illness, and if this place really is one of those sites, then it would make sense if they own it."

A place quite perfect for the purpose it was intended for. Relatively far from the town itself, hidden by the forest, with a history wrapped in tragedies. Most people would avoid this place, rather than seeking it out willingly. And even if someone did end up here, it was unlikely that it would raise any suspicion. Without having an idea about the circumstances...or being a conspiracy theorist, it was sure that no one would expect to find anything suspicious here.

"Certainly not quite as dodgy as the hospital and that bunker behind it."

Before answering Pyry, I took some time to assess the slightly melancholic sights of the abandoned, broken down and rusting equipment laying all over the place, along with the buildings slowly conquered back by nature. A rather sad fate, in a sense.

"I think that we can split up for a bit," I spoke up finally, "I'll check the mounds with To-Totesh and Gradient, while you guys should see if you can find anything around the train cars and the station. Since you'll likely be faster than us, you could meet up with us at the mounds afterwards, and then we can check the warehouse together."

The goal was to keep everyone safe, not to be as efficient as possible, after all.

So, this should have worked. Even if it meant some physical work for me, if we happened to find a shovel.

"And to make sure that no one tries to surprise us, I have an extra security measure," I continued as I opened up my bag to take a small doll out of it after some rummaging, "Fortunately, they don't have the right to complain either."

Holding the doll in my hand, I took a few more steps towards the water tower that stood tall next to the railroad tracks. Then, gathering all my strength, I threw the doll towards the top of the building, and at the same time, channelled my powers into it - only for it to land on top of the roof, and for me to be immediately reprimanded for my actions through my mental link with it.

"There, we got ourselves a sentry. Time to get to work."

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Prushka?

"E-eh, ah, eh... umm, too close...!"

While Ahti was still quivering on the floor, unable to get his bearings back, Alpa leaned backwards like a magnet being pushed by Prushka's equal polarity. It was actually rather amusing to see just how good she was at keeping a definite distance between herself and others, despite the fact that she had just spent a good while messing up another person and touching their hair all over. Yes, this... this definitely was a defense mechanism of some sort. By not acknowledging that Ahti had been the "kitty" this whole time, she was balancing her obvious love for cats and her fear of human beings.

Still, at the very least she looked a bit more comfortable than the first time they met.

"A-and, umm, everything is pretty, um, good over here. I haven't left. At all. Since last time. But I'm starting to run low on... snacks," Alpa continued, slowly retreating away from Prushka. "I-I'm still plenty scared, but at least, I've gotten somewhat, um, comfortable in here. As long as... as long as nothing too surprising happens."

She glanced towards Ahti's defeated form. Ah, yes. That indeed might have been a bit too surprising.

... Though in that case, was Prushka counted as part of "too suprising"?

"But because I've stayed i-in here, I haven't ran into anything either... though there's been some, um... strangeness yes. Something out of the ordinary. I think. Stuff I've noticed," Alpa said, her expression turning into a small thoughtful frown. "There's been someone around that my, um, spells haven't been able to see... or sense... going about the main building. Then there was that knight that stalked outside the c-campus last night... and that green guy brooding o-on the rooftop, and, um..."

She glanced towards the door leading to the second floor hallway.

"T-then there's someone who's been trying to g-get into the locked... door... over there..."

She nodded towards that direction - the direction of the door leading into the clock tower.

Alexstrasza Lockhart

"............. Heh."

Souma chuckled, quietly, like a hiss of a snake.

"If you want to."

With that, the duo finally took their leave of Gabi's room, leaving behind an altar to a singular person's obsession. They might not have been around anymore, but that did not mean that nothing remained. If anything, some insight into just who Gabi Bahkauv had been granted just by visiting there... and further investigation had come about thanks to Alexstrasza's searching. The talk of the celestial sphere, and the strange pictures... it was clear that Gabi had noticed that something was off at Road's End. Perhaps therein lied the reason for his interest in going to gaze at the stars, again and again. Perhaps he had hoped to find some sort of truth.

Just like this unlikely duo were hoping to find some sort of truth regarding his fate and who may have killed him.

".......... So."

As the pair exited the dormitory, heading over to the main building that loomed close-by, Souma lifted his eyes and gazed towards the structure. No, more specifically, he was gazing at the tower-like structure that jutted out from the front, a mysterious part of the school that none of them had ever really figured out. From the shape of it, it might have been a clock tower, but aside from that... what was its purpose? Or had it lost it, just like so many things in here?

Souma then turned his eyes towards Alexstrasza.

"...... What did you want to talk about? While I personally have no desire to speak about anything - it being utter chore in a way - I'm adept at adapting to whatever topic you want to discuss," he said, a slightly sardonic smirk on his lips. "You seem to fawn over occult and supernatural, so while I'm no expert, I can attempt to play ball. Or perhaps your attempts at trying to pass as normal, sociable person should be tested? While it's an utter lie, I can talk to you about friendship, hardships of high school life, how parents never really get us or gossip with you about boys you like romantically."

He paused, studying the blonde girl for a moment.

"... Or perhaps girls you like romantically?" He added. "You do seem awfully fond of Cesarina Feroce."

In her mind, the blond girl could hear her mind wheezing in laughter at the blunt awkwardness of the one-eyed boy.

Hisa Momoi

"... You know, the usefulness of those guys never ceases to amaze me."

Pyry commented as such as he peered at the doll now standing on top of the rickety water tower. While it might have been a bit precarious for someone heavy to climb up there, for a doll it was as safe as standing on solid ground. Not to mention, being over 20 meters tall, the water tower offered an almost perfect vantage point of the whole area. It could even see partially inside some of the train cars and buildings since they weren't completely closed off.

"Still, that sounds good. And if anything happens, we have this, right?" Pyry continued and tapped his forehead, and then gently Hisa's. "So even if we can't yell out, we can definitely send a warning. Though, I can't really smell anything dangerous in the area. No monsters or suspicious people. Still... keep your eyes open, people."

With that, the group was divided into two. Hisa, To-Totesh and Gradient headed towards the mounds in the distance, near the railroad tracks. Pyry, Mercedes and Leena, on the other hand, headed towards the train station itself. Of the latter group, Pyry set to the front while Mercedes took the rear, almost as if by some unvoiced decision the two had decided that Leena was the one that most needed to be guarded in case anything happened.

And thus they were all off. Half towards the building, half towards the mounds to the east. As Hisa looked on, he saw how the other trio, led by the boy with the blond-mane, disappearing through the large doorway and into the station, wooden floors creaking under their weight.

The walk to the mounds itself wasn't long - the whole area wasn't that big to begin with - but it did offer a good view of the various train cars that littered the yard here and there. Judging by how some of them were open-topped and how some had their doors open, whatever useful was inside had probably been claimed by critters or nature. And to begin with, what else would have been there but lumber and assorted things? The few passenger cars that she saw were a different thing, they could have offered something else of note, but for now, best keep to the plan.

And speaking of which, on the way to the mounds, Hisa noticed something abandoned to the tall grass next to the tracks.

Namely... a shovel. A rather new, collapsible shovel.

Almost like someone had just dropped it there in a big hurry...

--- Suddenly, the mental image of a certain pudgy conspiracy theorist floated into Hisa's mind.

Well, he did say he had made a hasty retreat from here. It looked like Barney's misfortune was their luck, huh? And now that they were this close, Hisa could definitely see the spot where the reporter had been digging, a hole of fresh dirt standing rather clear against the rest of the mound. Though, before she could continue her way there...

"--- Hisa. Look."

To-Totesh's voice caught her attention. She looked back, and saw that the native girl was pointing towards a spot not too far from where they were. A large, open area between the mounds and the warehouse. A spot where, unlike everywhere else, the grass was short, weeds were nowhere to be seen and even the bushes looked like they had been ripped away by strong winds. And what's more curious, it was more or less a perfectly circular spot...

"That doesn't look right," To-Totesh said, frowning. "Almost like something machine would do. Suspicious. And relatively fresh."

She turned back to her friend.

"Something to check later?"

Hisa Momoi

"Looks like...the landing spot of a UFO to me," I answered To-Totesh while trying to mimic Barney, "The strange lights in the sky a few days ago were just the lamps of their spacecrafts, while as they landed, the force managed to blow all the vegetation away. The circular shape, of course, is due to their crafts resembling saucers."

By the end of the explanation, the straight face I tried to manage crumbled into a smirk, and with a small shrug, I conveyed that in reality I had little idea what exactly it was.

"However, I feel like that guy's visit does have something to do with that being there. Unless it's been there all along, and he just did not notice it in the dark - or didn't find it particularly important. After all, the only means of transportation that does not leave any noticeable tracks behind would be by air, so...it could very well be some sort of a landing zone."

At least if the site was still used for something, it would make sense. Regardless, until we looked around more, we could only guess.

"We can take a brief look on the way to the warehouse."

For now, it was best to focus on the mounds themselves. It was perhaps fortunate that we found a sufficient tool for digging so quickly. I half expected that we'd only manage some frail, rusting piece of junk, or that I would have had to dig with my hands, but...Perhaps this time, I couldn't help but appreciate the curiosity and questionable efforts of that scaredy slob.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka?

"Well if you're doin' fine, that's good. I was worried you'd run into trouble or something without anyone knowing about it. Now let's see here..."

I squint, scrutinizing Alpa Bagha's too-fluffy body for a good ten, fifteen seconds.

She really is fluffy, huh?

"....................alright, clean bill of health. Probably!"

With that out of the way I skip back, restoring peace to the vicinity of the shy girl. Retreating takes me next to Ahti, next to whom I take a seat, legs folded. Then I wave over Alpa so we can make a circle; it's time for a survival strategy session!

"The green guy... sounds like Lobo. Mr. Currumpaw. He's the only green person I've met here, not counting Inacio. Looks like an uncle, carries around two scary Arc Relic spears? If that's the case you shouldn't talk to him, Alpa. He's nice to girls, but he's not that nice. And a knight... didn't you have a tangle with a knight before we met, Ahti? Think it might be the same one? As for the clock tower, I asked Briggs about it and he says the only one who's got a key to it is Mr. Mao."

As happy as I am that Alpa is in one piece and healthy, it's unnerving to hear that two dangerous individuals are so close to the campus. If Hwan is to be believed, Snow is around here too. Then there's a killer that can't be detected by any abilities, and some kind of assassin after me... The school isn't nearly as much of a shelter as we were led to think.

"Plus someone undetectable to spells... yeah, that's spooky alright. This school's just lousy with the Turnside, ain't it? We've got lots of weirdos running around. Knights, dogs, invisible people, Espers, Mages, Mystics, Men of the Left Hand, vampires, werewolves, bears, oh my..."

The real problem isn't as easy to solve as simply staying away. Even if Alpa's okay now, when things get hairy she'll be on her own. And unless she can turn her room into a fortress...

Not a good line of thought to follow, is it. So why am I subjecting Alpa to it right now? Prushka, you idiot, you're just gonna scare her even more with all the ominous talk! Talk about something more cheerful!

"...well, no need to worry too much! Most of those are just minding their own business same as everyone else. So wanna go for a ride, Alpa? The store has some sweets and I've got a bit of pocket change. You can stock up for the rest of the weekend. It's gonna rain later, so this is our last chance to grab some fresh air."

Huh, where did that question come from? I hadn't planned on asking Alpa to come with us. In the first place, won't she just want to stay inside?

"O-or I can grab snacks for you on the way back..."

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

To-Totesh chuckled at Hisa's impression of Barney, though once she switched to more realistic ruminations regarding the strange spot on the ground, her expression grew more serious as well. One hand on her hip, one rubbing her chin, the native girl turned to look at the vaguely circular, clean area some distance away and narrowed her eyes. Gradient, on the other hand, just looked questioningly between the two.

"Landing zone... huh...?" To-Totesh muttered quietly. "Low-flying helicopter wouldn't be seen from land, and it'd make roughly that sort of area... I guess. I wonder. Could it be something like that?"

A helicopter...?

It'd have to be relatively large one, judging by the size of the area. So why would a large helicopter be flying about and especially stopping here? Of course, there was the matter of US Air Force being seemingly involved with things over at Road's End, and perhaps they'd fly low to avoid being spotted from the town. But then there was also that other group... they also looked to be almost militaristic in their wardrobe and mannerisms. Thule Society...

--- Well, there were quite a few options. But right now, they should focus on the mounds.

Arriving over to the large earthen mounds, Hisa finally got a better look of them. To most, the dirt itself had began to harder, meaning that they had been standing in the open air for at least a week, if not more. The one at the far eastern end was actually sprouting grass, meaning it hadn't been touched for ages. Then again, that might just mean that it was the "oldest" mound and the rest were relatively fresh still. And then there was the one on the opposite end, the one that Hisa had come across first... the one that still showed signs of Barney having dug there.

He had certainly done a number on it. Was the call of the "truth" really that strong?

--- Supposedly, she would find out soon.

With a determined look, Hisa raised the shovel and struck it down, intending to see if what Barney had said was true - and easiest way to confirm it would be to dig from the same spot as he had. However, to her surprise, the girl almost immediately heard the metal of the tool she had hit something hard under the dirt - something that certainly wasn't stone. To-Totesh exchanged a curious look with her, and the native girl knelt down on the ground and dug through the dirt with her fingers, eventually emerging with...

"---! T-this is...!"

To-Totesh's surprise was understandable. Buried bones were something you rarely saw, especially in these modern times. And what she had pulled out was definitely a broken bone, something that had either been cleaned of anything attached to it in the past, or one that had laid somewhere until there was nothing left. It was almost funny how clean it was, compared to what one would have usually expected to find in a grave or something similar.

And that was the thing. The cleanliness of the bone immediately roused a suspicion within her.

Not to mention...

------ She was pretty sure that was an animal bone. Not a human one.

Had that conspiracy nut really mistaken an animal's bone to human's so easily...?

Prushka?

"O-oh, um, thank you for the offer but..."

Alpa shot a rather downcast look towards the floor as she sat down.

"... I-I think I'd just panic if I went outside and saw a lot of people. T-that wouldn't be useful for, for anyone," she replied, though a faint little smile appeared on her face afterwards. "B-but I'll gladly take you up on your, um, offer! That i-is, if you want to bring me some snacks while you're out there...."

Yes, from the looks of it, the fear of people was still strong in the small girl. Just the thought of there being crowds of people who she didn't know out there... it was a small miracle it hadn't rooted her in place. Sure enough, she was more or less okay with Prushka, and even Ahti was starting to become someone she didn't bolt at the sight of (for now), but more than two people? More than three? A whole town's worth?

She might have fainted at that point.

"--- It's not like there's that many people around."

Strangely enough, it was Ahti's voice that answered Alpa first. The boy had managed to retain his bearings a little and he staggered back up, carefully keeping himself in a hunched over position so as to not scare Alpa too much... almost like he was trying to deal with a particularly skittish critter. He took a bit of a support from Prushka, sat down as well, and then levelled his gaze to the other girl.

--- And for some reason, almost like he was having a petty revenge, he pinched Prushka's thigh while he was at it.

"And it's not like the town's that crowded, so if you really wanted, we could always find a route free of people," Ahti continued bit sternly. "But you do you. I'm sure you can think of some other excuse if you're still scared."

W-wait.

Had he distracted Prushka with the pinch in order to get that out? Those words that caused Alpa to recoil a bit and stared at the floor again, mumbling quietly to herself?

What the heck!

".... Anyways. Yeah. I brawled with that damn knight earlier this week," Ahti grunted, scratching the back of his head and continuing like nothing had happened. "It's the one that nearly cut me in half."

Alpa, upon hearing this, nodded a little.

"I-I-I see... that sounds dangerous..." She responded quietly. "A-as for that... person trying to get to the tower, um... I don't think it's anyone with a key. I can hear them r-rattling the lock at times, like they were trying to pick it..."

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka?

"Yeowch!"

A sharp pinch blanks out my thoughts. Ahti takes that moment to, well, be Ahti. Has his revenge already started?

"...hmph. Do your worst!"

It'll take more than that to make me squeal, Scrooge. I'll bear it! No complaints here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahti
    "And it's not like the town's that crowded, so if you really wanted, we could always find a route free of people. But you do you. I'm sure you can think of some other excuse if you're still scared."
    "Hey now, that's totally not how it works. Sometimes scary things are just scary." You don't just invent reasons to be terrified of things.... do you? Humans can't understand their own emotions much of the time, so they try to assign reasons and causes and effects and all that. But the truth is, feelings don't really make logical sense all the time. So it's likely that Alpa's fear goes deeper than just being nervous around others, much like Jake's hesitation came from his own guilt and aversion to it... but still, that doesn't mean we can't try.

"Ahti is right though; it's practically empty out there. You'd probably just see the shop lady and no one else, and you don't even need to talk to her." We barely exchanged greetings when I went shopping earlier. Though that's just 'cus it was lunch and I was in a hurry. "Hm, what if you went out in disguise, Alpa? Like in one of the owl costumes or something? That way no one would be able to see you!"

This idea that sprung up on its own is just getting sillier and sillier.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpa
    "A-as for that... person trying to get to the tower, um... I don't think it's anyone with a key. I can hear them r-rattling the lock at times, like they were trying to pick it..."
    "Must've been one of the students then. We're a real inquisitive bunch, poking around where we shouldn't be. Sometimes we even barge into people's rooms and start bothering 'em about nonsense."

I grin.

"You've been keeping up with studying with your spells, right Alpa? What do you think of the class? Anyone you wanna be friends with? Or - oooooh, got any gossip? You must've seen all sorts of scandalous things!"

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

I beamed happily at Souma as he agreed to walk with me, exiting the stargazer's room. Curiouser and curiouser, was it not? As the stargazer stared dreamily at something far away, he dragged himself ever-closer to a world hidden underneath the surface. The turnside of the stars, as it was, is yet another entryway into these gaps between the world that I exist inside of.

I turned to peer at Souma as he spoke, blinking once with wide eyes. I listened to the words with bright-faced enthusiasm, opening my mouth to answer-

Before souring at Potemkin's laughter. O-of course I knew that he was just playing a joke on me! I-It's not as if my attempts to appear ordinary are unsuccessful, are they?! Are they!? Doesn't everyone believe me when I say I'm just another average, simplistic person with simple wants and desires?!

Haaa... I doubt it. My shoulders slumped, and I sent Souma a glare.

"I have no desire to be mocked simply because you wish to test my patience, Souma. A-and further more, I-I'm not romantically interested in anyone! And certainly not C-Cesarina Feroce!" I said, pointing my finger at him before letting out a huff of breath and turning away. "Simply because I bother to interact with others on a human level, does that make me r-romantically interested in them? M-Maybe everyone else just has the wrong view of me! Y-yes! It is not as if I am some philanderer, with ridiculous goals, throwing my body whichever way will garner me the most affection! I am simply... Making friendships! Creating bonds, as it were!"

I nodded smugly, closing my eyes as I took another step forward. As expected, is it not Potemkin? J-Just because you keep trying to fluster me doesn't mean it'll work, okay?! Quit it! I-I'm not going to be distracted by your tricks!

What even is love, anyways?! Does everything have to revolve around it like clockwork? Do we really have to talk about romantic interests while investigating murders!? There are more important things to worry about!

"B-Besides," I said, patting my cheeks for warmth as I waved a hand in a figure eight, "I cannot imagine talking about such simplistic things when there are murderers afoot. We have far higher ideals to attend to, do we not? Tracking down this killer, and then killing them will be a splendid way of 'getting to know each other'. A most enthusiastic walk!"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Hisa Momoi

"That's...not human though."

Crouching down next to To-Totesh, I peered at the bone in her hands with a hint of curiosity and concern in my eyes.

It was clear enough that this must have been what Barney found - so, at the very least, he didn't just make that up. On the other hand, this was definitely not a human bone, nor anything particularly unusual. Just the bone of some animal, and even if it was cleaned off completely aside the dirt and slight discoloration, there could have been a multitude of explanations for that. I guess he really was just exaggerating, and saw more into this than it really was in his excitement and panic.

However, even if the bone itself wasn't too intriguing, the fact that it was there was slightly more so. It could be that it was just a wild animal or something that buried its prey there, but in that case, it would have had to be a long time ago for only the clean bone to remain, and this place has not been abandoned for that long. Which possibly means that someone took the effort to clean the bone off, and only then, for some reason, buried it here specifically.

But why?

And was there more?

There should have been more to these mounds - we barely just scratched the surface, after all.

"Let's continue," I said as I stood back up and tightened my grasp on the shovels handle, "If there was one, then there should be more."

Blog Entries

Elaine Winters, John Dove & Anna Vandemeel

Subaru, Ramia and Zhou exchanged glances... and for some reason, they all chuckled rather sheepishly.

"Well... I believe we're more or less caught up, John Dove. That's what we were talking about on our way here," Ramia replied, referring back to their walk from the dorms. "Zhou and I compared some notes back at the dorms, while Subaru here seems to have gotten a crash course from multiple sources so far. There might be a detail here and there we aren't aware of, but we've got the gist of it, anyhow."

Subaru, who had already fetched herself a light breakfast of fruit and tea, nodded.

"Yes. It has been a bit of a puzzle to put together, but I believe I have understood the problem thus far," the tiny shrine maiden replied, before her expression turned rather serious. "That being said... what is this Moonchild you refer to? Something that is also caught in the looping phenomena, I take it?"

Ramia clicked her tongue at that. The mercenary had also chose a light breakfast, though for her that meant mostly bread without condiments and a cup of black coffee.

"It seems like it. That and a bunch of trouble," she said, biting into her bread. "If that thing's barely holding onto its sanity... ugh. The last thing we need is someone of that power becoming completely unhinged. Even more so than it already must be. That being said..."

The dusky-skinned girl narrowed her eyes at John.

"... What sort of being was she? Anything you could gleam out?" She questioned him. "If we figure out her proper nature, we might find a way to deal with her in case she does turn sour... or in case keeping her 'happy' becomes a liability."

It was a rather cold way of looking at things, but Ramia did have a point there. Perhaps. At the end of the day, Ultravania was one of the biggest rogue elements in this whole mess of mysteries, and dancing to its tune just to keep its sanity intact... well, it might be more trouble than it was worth.

However, at the other end of the table...

"--- Well, you guys keep at it. I'll go see what's the damage."

Saying that, Kean Loinnir clicked his tongue in annoyance and headed after Elaine. Elaine who had just approached a table where the most unexpected pair of people could be seen. One of them was, of course, Hwan Bin. The Korean boy had went for the opposite in terms of breakfast, having piled waffles on his plate in criminal amounts and drowned it all in maple syrup. For his drink of choice, he had went with what looked to be iced tea. And across him at the table sat another breakfast criminal... namely, the dark-haired young girl known only either as Seventeen or "Stephanie". Her breakfast was a big bowl of cereal that was more chocolate and marshmallows than anything else - to the point even the milk had turned into chocolate milk.

It was like the two of them wanted to die from the sugar rush.

--- Still, as Hwan heard Elaine approach, he turned his head and gave her a lopsided grin.

"We're getting along just fine. Stayed up all night to play video games and watch scary action movies. We also ate candy, didn't brush our teeth and now we're gorging ourselves with this on the breakfast," he replied, gesturing towards the table. "In other words, we've done everything that she could do with her 'cool uncle' but that her 'mother' would never approve."

The boy turned up his nose rather smugly.

"In other words, my points in the rankings are on the rise~"

Stephanie giggled at that display, almost as if she had understood some of it. Then she waved cheerfully at Elaine and greeted her with what sounded like proper joy of seeing the older girl again.

"... So? What about you?" Hwan asked, lowering his voice a little bit as his eyes analyzed the blonde girl. "You look like shit. Something happen?"

Liana Skye & Vier Wolff

"Oh no you don't!"

Before Vier could take another step, a lithe but strong grip caught her by the shoulder. When she instinctively turned around to look, what she saw was Aleen King with a bit of a smirk on her face, the bluehead having confidently stepped forward to stop her friend from running away any further. No, more than that, she almost looked like she had some plan... a plan that would practically force Vier to abandon her ideas of separating herself from others once more.

"Like, seriously Vier. Just shut up and have breakfast with us. You have all the time in the world to mope later if you're still into that," Aleen admonished her, before her expression became slightly wicked. "Because if you don't, and try to run away now..."

Her face turned, once more, a bit green.

"I'm gonna barf on you. Try to keep yourself hidden from enemies then!"

There was an awkward pause, and then...

"... I'm not even kidding, it's taking a lot of willpower to keep myself steady, so right now I can pretty much barf on command. And I won't hesitate to do so."

Slightly aside from this strange exchange, Fyrtio was staring at the card in her hands. She turned it around, confusion clear on her face, and even went as far as to study it against the sunlight... but apparently, she couldn't really make heads or tails of why she had been given something like that. Thus, in the end, she turned towards Liana with that same befuddlement clear on her face.

"I'm... not sure why you gave me this. So far, I don't think you have been making an ass out of yourself. Things have been somewhat prone to misunderstandings, I'd say - almost like something or someone set it all up," the older woman spoke. "If anything, I think you've acted rather calmly and rationally so far. It's my own lack of understanding and... awkwardness when it comes to dealing with other people that I... Oh."

Suddenly, it was like something had dawned upon her.

"... Oh. I think I know what the reason is. Partially at least," the one-eyed woman said. "My codename. It's... It's not supposed to be 'Fyrtio'. As in, 40 in Swedish."

For some reason, she held an awkward pause.

One that grew longer.

Long enough for her to blush as she stared at her own feet.

"I-it was supposed to be 'Fer-Théo..." The woman mumbled in surprisingly embarrassed voice. "A-as in, 'Iron-Théo'..."

What.

Prushka?

"S-scandalous things...!?"

For some reason, Alpa blushed heavily at that.

"N-no, I mean... I-I've only really kept a watch on the main building, and the campus g-grounds! Nothing more than t-that! I wouln't want to i-intrude upon people or break their privacy...!" She hastily denied, waving her hands in front of her. "S-s-so I definitely haven't seen anything that could be counted as scandalous! L-lingering stares between some people or h-how some students seem to be n-naturally drawn to each other, o-or stuff like that!"

Even Ahti was cocking a questioning eyebrow at that. What with being a total shut-in, Alpa's mental defenses were already like wet tissue, and when faced with the assault of curiosity from both sides, it all crumbled before either Prushka or the boy could even say anything. Letting out a high-pitched groan, Alpa buried her head in her hand and rocked herself on the chair, face still bright red.

"I-I mean, of course, there are some things that I've... noticed. L-like how Travis seems to be really worried about E-Elise and Vivienne, but never t-t-talks to them! O-or how Inacio always seems so friendly but when he's alone, h-he looks really lonely. O-o-or how Gabi and Caleb start talking a lot about astronomy few days ago, or..." She paused for a moment, before a slight smile blossomed on her face. "O-or how that Yeong-Hui's been teasing her brother Minato about Anna and how he seems really confused by her for some reason..."

A slight chuckle escaping from her lips, Alpa turned to look at both Ahti and Prushka.

"... Really, they all seem like good people. A-and I wanna be friends with them all some day! It's just that..." She paused, somewhat awkwardly. "... W-well, it's... hard..."

Another pause.

But this time longer, more thoughtful.

One that eventually ended with...

"--- Though an owl costume might make it bearable...?"

Alexstrasza Lockhart

"Ah. But that's where you're wrong."

Souma, somewhat smugly, tapped the side of his nose.

"From what I've learned, relationship gossip is the most important thing in the minds of teenagers," he said as he opened the door of the main building and stepped aside, gesturing for Alexstrasza to enter first. "Forget murderers or other oddities, everything seems to run on hormones in here. Which is understandable, I suppose. Hormones are one of the strongest forces an adolescent will face."

He chuckled a bit as he entered after the girl and then took to walking besides her, the two of them heading further into the building and through the lobby. From there, they would turn around the corner and head towards the science classroom, which was not that far away now. At the same time, they could hear sounds of talking coming from the cafeteria, indicating that some of the students were still enjoying their breakfast there.

"... And isn't that what you were after? Normalcy? So, what better way to fit amidst your peers?" Souma asked, raising a questioning eyebrow. "Not to mention, well... there's nothing simplistic about romance. Of course, I've never understood the appeal myself. But from what I've been able to observe, it is quite the complex thing. Overly complex even. If anything, there'd be something ironically fitting of talking about such mundane yet complicated art while tracking down a murderer - an art which is quite uncommon, yet very simple at the core of it."

The boy came to a halt just before the door of the science room, and levelled a strange, unreadable stare at Alexstrasza - almost as if he was studying her expression and reaction... but also giving her a warning.

".......... Mind you, the most dangerous part about it all is that so much of it is out of your hands. As they say, it takes two to tango. So, even if your attempts are nothing but ways to connect to others in friendship, what if you send the wrong signals to someone? Make them think you are viewing them as more special than you are?" He asked, a somewhat sinister grin rising to his lips. "Never mind your own intentions, what will you do if someone else becomes romantically interested in you, and yearns for your affection?"

... Was he enjoying this strange interrogation? It was starting to feel awfully lot like bullying!

"Or, perhaps... someone already has?"

Hisa Momoi

"... 'No smoke without fire', right?"

Nodding to Hisa, To-Totesh stood back up and looked around. After a while of searching, she found what must have been some old train-assisting tool or something. Right now, however, what remained of it was a large enough handled and a large enough bit of metal - something that the native girl could use as a makeshift shovel. Thus the two of them dug further into the mound, determined to see what more - if anything - it hid within its folds. One after another, the shovel swings came, moving the relatively fresh dirt out of the way and digging deeper and deeper into the pile...

... And eventually, they hit something solid again.

A quick inspection revealed the bones they pulled out to be from animals again - deer, moose and the like, most likely. Each swing unearthed more of them, and little by little, the shape they were in started to become more and more questionable. The first thing that Hisa noticed was the obvious signs of being damaged by bullets. These animals hadn't died just natural causes, some of them still had slugs embedded into their bones, meaning they had been shot - and with relatively powerful guns at that. But that was just the start. Eventually, the two started seeing animal bones that had been gnawed upon, a clear sign that someone had been eating them.

But the strangest thing was...

"What on earth...?" To-Totesh mumbled.

... That they had both marks of human teeth and animal fangs upon them.

Almost like men and beasts had feasted upon the same animals, sharing their prey with each other, before burying the evidence here. Yet, it couldn't be just the trashpile of some hunter and his dog, no. There were far too many bones here already. The mounds themselves were big, and the amount of animal bones Hisa and To-Totesh had dug up had become a veritable pile of its own, as Gradient had stacked them aside in case the girls wanted to view them later.

"Is there still going to be more...?" To-Totesh murmured as she swung her make-shift shovel downwards, only to hear it hit yet another bone. "Again!? But... wait... that's..."

Hisa immediately understood why the girl stopped as she unearthed the bone, bringing it to their full view.

This femur of what must have been a particularly big moose... its current state... It immediately cast her mind to the week that no longer existed. After all...

--- it was like half of it had melted and then solidified into a new form. Like acid had been poured on it, but the process had been left halfway and stopped.

An imagine of a one-eyed giant flashed in her mind. She didn't need to hear Gradient let out a quiet sound to know that the damage caused to the bone was far too familiar to anyone's liking. But if it had been damaged in this way, then... what did that mean? Why would a bone like that be buried here? Why would that thing even kill a deer? What on earth could it hope to accomplish with that?

Hisa, instinctively, reached out and grasped the bone in her hand, testing it... and found something alarming the moment she lifted it.

--- The femur was far too light.

Careful inspection revealed the reaso as to why, too. Gazing at it from multiple angles and studying the melted pattern on it carefully revealed something... concerning. It wasn't just that the bone had melted, it was almost as if one half of it had been melted, turned into a primordial soup containing all the biological building blocks that made up the bone, and then scooped out. Or to put it in other terms, this wasn't just melting - it was more as if raw materials had been harvested from the bone. The strongest parts, the toughest parts, leaving nothing but the brittle remains intact - the unneeded baggage.

Had the thing been harvesting materials from the bone itself? But why...?

"......"

Next to Hisa, To-Totesh swallowed somewhat hard, looking a bit disturbed by the sight of the femur. Then, trying to drive some determination into herself, she swung her make-shift shovel once more, digging deeper into the mound.

Only for that swing to cause part of the wall of the mound to collapse.

And what was revealed from within it, buried in the middle of hundreds of animal bones...

Was the exact thing they had been looking for.

And it didn't look like it was the only one.

Half-buried in the dirt beyond it, more and more familiar-looking bones could be seen, jutting out of the earth... and definitely not originally from any sort of wild animal.

It was a sight that made everyone present, even Gradient, go quiet.

A human skeleton, no matter the context, has that effect.

Perhaps, for that reason, Pyry's mental message sounded surprisingly loud when it suddenly rang in Hisa's mind.

[Hey, uh... Hisa?]

She could hear slight hesitation in the boy's voice.

[We might have a situation here. Operating word being 'might'. See... Leena and Mercedes haven't noticed it yet, but...]

He paused.

[... I think there's a person hiding here. At the station. In the storage room that's locked from the inside. I can hear their breathing.]

Hisa could practically see the boy through her mind's eye, gazing at the door in question.

[I don't think they know that I've noticed them, though so... should I take them out? Capture them before they can act? Or do you wanna get here first?

Things had suddenly become complex...

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka?

"Hehehe... it's just like the TV shows and books, isn't it? You throw a bunch of teenagers in a building for a week and it turns into a mess in no-time. We've had enough drama to fill a whole season... hell, we've got enough for two seasons of prime time!"

Rocking back and forth, I match Alpa's shy smile with a grin of my own. Even though I don't know who Yeong-Hui or Minato even are. Even though Gabi and Caleb won't be talking astronomy again. Even though Inacio might be more than just lonely.

"You've already met Ubon, she likes you a bunch, I can tell. And John might seem mean but he's really a sensitive guy. Like he's just a normal human but he tries to understand people's feelings. You'd definitely get along with Subaru too, she's also fluffy and Tonkori is even fluffier and loves being petted! And then maybe... Xylia? That might be tough, but she's actually not that bad once you get to know her. Maybe if I bribed her with pie again..."

Alpa's feelings alone are enough to bring back the memory of when I felt the same way. When there wasn't a sword of Damocles hanging over my neck.

"Being friends though... hm."

Even the memory of thinking 'friendship with a human is impossible'.

"..hey, Scrooge, got any advice for her?" I lightly nudge Ahti with my elbow. "You've made a buncha friends this week, right? What's the trick to it?"

Standing up so that the two who are sitting don't even come up to my skirt, I brush the dust off and shrug. And then...

Twirl! Stop! Pose! Two fingers making the V-sign for victory!

"'Cus I can't give you any advice at all from this end! All I can promise is that if you hang out with me, you'll end up embarrassed and scared all the time! If that sounds like your idea of fun, we can suit up and go for a ride around town for a bit."

If Samuel could walk around looking like a marshmallow for seven years, someone in an animal costume won't draw any weird looks at all.

"Ah. But." Pause. Enthusiasm curbed. "...it's a busy weekend. We're on our way to the graveyard. Not really an ideal place for an adventure."

In fact, it's rather inconvenient. Because, well, y'know.

"It might be spooky. Might not be safe either. At least not as safe as this room."

Actually. Right. Of course.

Staring at Alpa, I ask the question I'd actually come here to ask.

"...do you feel safe here?"
    Last edited by Bloble; November 23rd, 2021 at 01:07 PM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye/Sora Hikari

Quote Originally Posted by V
    “By the way, your boyfriend broke into a safe at the owner’s garage. Said that you couldn’t get your hands dirty before grabbing a black folder.”
    "Well he still hasn't taken me out for pie, so I don't actually know what our relationship is..."

---An answer emboldened with a flicker of amusement.

"But a safe? That's what he was doing?"

She raises an eyebrow.

"Was it an electronic lock? I hope it wasn't an electronic lock." Sighing, the young woman crosses her arms and shakes her head from side to side, as if admonishing the man from afar, "Those sorts of things are sort of my whole deal, and dirty my hands...? Sure I don't break and enter or steal if it's not necessary, but considering how suspicious Jack is and all the nonsense that happened last night, it wouldn't have taken much to convince me to help."

One hand rises to her chin in thought. It's rather strange, being so roundabout with his 'things he wanted to check out,' instead of just saying things aloud, but...

"Then again, Jack is his boss... Some loyalty is probably there..."

...Wouldn't shock her if he was hiding some stuff away for him, some of his answers about Jack were a bit... Suspect in retrospect...

"What else was in the safe besides the folder? Anything important?"

She shoots the question towards Vier without regard for Aleen's very bizarre method of strong-arming the girl towards breakfast...

Puking on someone on purpose?

A horrific threat.

As for Fio, well...

"I-it was supposed to be 'Fer-Théo..." The woman mumbled in surprisingly embarrassed voice. "A-as in, 'Iron-Théo'..."

"No wonder you thought Fio was a strange name."

Liana giggles.

Way too cute...

"'Fer-Théo'... I like it, but in my head you're probably going to be Fio forever, I'm afraid~"

She winks.

"But I see... You're one of those types that are embarrassed by the way their accent sounds..."

It explains a few things.

The stiff manner of speech when she spoke and her reluctance to talk more than absolutely necessary...

"No need for that, it's cute. You're cute. I promise. It's totally fine to be cute!"

So cute she almost wants to squee and hug her, but Aleen had recently reminded her of the concept of boundaries, that she's not exactly everyone's big sister, so she can't just hug people randomly-!

"As for the card though... Well..."

The smile flickers away for a moment.

"You say calm and rational... But really I think I've been a bit off all week, all these wrong answers and social fumbles are hurting my pride..."

She sighs.

"I'm supposed to be a professional, a Hikari, I know it's not my fault I fell for all sorts of tricks last night, but it still hits me right in my ego. Talking the hero talk but not walking the walk, that's what I mean by making an ass out of myself..."

A huff, eyes closing in mild annoyance.

"I got tazed by the culprit yesterday! Last night's not my best showing by a long shot, and..."

The joking smile becomes a frown, the body stiffens up for a moment, as memories of gunshots and blue hair and splashes of crimson cross the surface of her mind in a flash, a flash that she knows will be the first of many flashes, to join the crackle of flames and the sensation of knives in her body, before...

"It didn't end the way I wanted it too either..."

Shaking her head and with it the beginnings of new nightmares.

"And some of my conclusions... Well, looking back, I can say I didn't trust my own instincts enough... The monster Kajal and Jayesh were brought here to watch out for is obvious in retrospect, as is Jack's disappearance and the state of his office, but well..."

A sad smile.

"I didn't really piece it all together until just now... Feels like I let everyone down a bit, not realizing it sooner in spite of giving it my all..."

"No matter what I tell myself..."

---A strange moment of vulnerability.

It's just for an instant, just a flicker of a second, and...

"Still, not about to brood after giving a speech about why brooding is bad, would be a bad look for me."

She chuckles.

"I'm just not up to my own impossible standards this week, if you think I'm calm and rational, then I guess I'll take it~"

She winks at the one-eyed woman again, pushing all the moping darkness aside.

"We'll change the motive behind the card then, it can be a friendship thing, wine and dine! Would be a big deal coming from me if we were in Japan~"

Another chuckle, although it raises the question of if "wining and dining" is really a friendship thing...

"Or maybe we'll just call it an excuse for me to take care of someone a bit, I like doing that sort of thing..."

Her voice trails off.

"Makes me feel like a proper big sister again."
    Last edited by Airen; November 23rd, 2021 at 09:26 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

I stepped through the door into the main building as Souma spoke, inclining my head to him in thanks.

I wrinkled my nose as he spoke of hormones. How annoying. My blood did not flow. My heart did not beat. I did not experience the sorts of things these others did, if I did not wish to. To manually flow one's blood - that was a skill only acquired by time and effort. To master blood magic is to master the mana that flows through one's veins, that essence of life that I turn into a mockery of it. My mana was blood. My blood was mana. It was a stray thought a girl had, locked away as she was in the tiniest corner of the smallest room of the orphanage. But is that not what it means to be true?

"I am who I am who I am," I said with a wave of a hand and an involuntary twitch of my left eye. "If others wish to interpret me in a way they find to be favorable, that is up to them, yes? It is not as if I am yearning for such feelings, nor as if I am endeavoring to create them in someone. If they were to p-push their affections on me, I'd...! I'd...!"

Potemkiiiiiin! There's no way that there's anyone's f-falling in l-love with me right!? I'm actually really unlikeable, right?! N-Nobody should be thinking of me in that sort of light, I-I'm...! I'm...!

"N-Not really know what to do at all, of course!" I said, giving Souma a shaky smile and a thumbs up. "B-Because I'm obviously just a completely ordinary person! I-I'm totally unexperienced in r-romance outside of novels, and even then I haven't read many of those t-types of books, s-so to e-experience that would be very much out of character for me! I-I'm not that type of character at all!"

I huffed, turning away as I pointed to some far off point in the distance, marching solidly forward as I tried to peer past the tip of my finger, before my eyes crossed, and I blinked to fix it.

"If someone were to fall in love with me, I'd haven't a solitary clue what to do! So I'd just do whatever I felt like at the time, really! But as this concept you're talking about... I-Isn't it kind of interesting? Especially when one skips backward a week. To chase someone beyond the boundaries of time itself... Is that not a bit romantic, Souma?"

I paused, tapping my chin with a frown as we walked.

"In a way, one could view the highest form of love as death, could they not? To permanently preserve someone as they were, in the exact moment you so very much crave... Hm. How dreadfully droll. I see the form of the man without a face's 'message', and it's frankly rather unpleasant. Better still to let one's love attempt, even should their heads be as empty as their hands. The struggle, after all, is part of their journey! Albeit a bit more of a depressing one then normal!"

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

Hisa Momoi

It started to seem like that rather than the bones just being cleaned, either by the passage of time or by artificial means, it was instead someone or something feasting upon them until there were only the bare bones left. Except that, both animal and human teeth have left marks on them.

Then, as we went deeper, the bones started becoming weird in a different sense as well. They seemed fragile, considering how easily they broke, and their structure was different, not quite as organized as it normally should be. Something that was obvious even just from the way they looked.

As if something just...extracted parts of it. Except that, it wasn't just like taking one of many individual items out of a box, or breaking a piece off of something. More like that they were separated on a molecular level, but rather than completely ruining the whole thing, the leftovers were respahed in a way that they resembled the original.

I could only think of one thing that would be capable of something like that, and that is...

In that case, it wasn't just liquefying things.

Rather, it was removing the solid parts, what's responsible for keeping things together, leaving nothing but a formless liquid behind.

But even if that makes sense, why are these here, exactly? How is he connected to this place?

While lost in my thoughts, it seemed that To-Totesh kept digging, and not long after, dug up something that was once again quite different from what we've found so far. What we were originally trying to find, the remains of humans, but now that it was there, it felt like it would have been better if it wasn't.

"Hmmh..."

What conclusion was I supposed to come to at this point? Was it just a victim of that thing, or is this related to the government and their project regarding DDS? If Gottlieb bought this place, then how could that thing even leave these remains here?

Regardless, we found bones. The remains of a dead person. Was it the kind of dead I was supposed to be able to communicate with? How exactly was I supposed to do that? Even though the fae told me that something like that was a possibility, it's not like she exactly gave a lesson about how it worked...

Yet, as I closed my eyes to focus, and try to make some sense out of something that I naturally shouldn't have been able to do, my thoughts were interrupted by someone else's.

Thoughts regarding something rather alarming.

"Wait a bit here, okay?" I said quietly as my eyes met To-Totesh's, "They supposedly found someone at the station."

Propelling myself upwards, I was already back on my feet, and started heading towards the side of the building where the room Pyry mentioned supposedly was.

[Wait a moment.]

It was best to think things through. Bursting the door on them, especially if it was the thing that put the bones there in the mounds, could have easily lead to rather unpleasant situations.

Sneaking up to the wall, I used my ability to take a quick peer through it - but even if I could confirm the presence of a person, it barely said much about their identity. Other than that they looked old, dirty, and...busy eating what seemed to be dog food.

Grimacing slightly, I turned my eyes away, and took a few quiet steps away from the building before I started heading for the entrance.

[We shouldn't scare him. He doesn't look dangerous - at least not physically. So...you should keep watch, and intervene if he tries something funny. I'll try to talk to him first.]

As I walked, I tried to figure who exactly the person was, but my mind was only drawing blanks. Was it just some random homeless person? If not, then who exactly, and why exactly would they be here of all places?

Blog Entries
    Prushka?

"I..."

Looking a bit taken aback by the question, Alpa looked around her. She took in the sight of the abandoned small library, the cracked windows and the debris that was still here and there, her own small make-shift camp and the way that she was living right now. And then, after giving it all a good, long, hard look, she turned back to Prushka and... smiled. Just smiled. In a rather forlorn way.

"... I-I suppose not. No matter where I go, I'll never feel truly safe," she answered with honesty in her quiet voice. "In that sense, I-I guess it's true. Even if I go somewhere else, as long as I take precautions, i-it won't be that bad..."

The girl nodded to herself, as if making some sort of decision. Meanwhile, Ahti seemed to frown even further, his brow furrowing the more she talked.

"B-but! I won't mind a cemetery!" Alpa hurried to add. "I mean, there's n-nothing scary about death. I... I lived next to a sky burial site before I came here. For a l-long, long time. I've seen much more than just boxes in the ground. So, um, yes. I won't mind going somewhere like that. If a-anything, a place like that feels a little bit silly, if you ask me."

Ahti, having heard this, snorted quietly and rolled his eye. Then, as the stares of the two girls fell upon him, he let out a somewhat annoyed groan and folded his arms across his chest.

"... You want me to give her advice, Imp? Hmph..." He paused, narrowing his eye. "Not much I can say. Or rather, looking at her, anything I say will just fall to deaf ears. Ain't no helping out a person who doesn't want to be helped."

Alpa tilted her head n confusion.

"Umm... w-what do you mean?"

However, Ahti only clicked his tongue in response and turned his gaze away.

Alexstrasza Lockhart

"No."

It had been a while.

It had been a while since Alexstrasza Lockhart had felt the cold, dreadfully cold, aura that Souma Nubatama could exhibit. It was almost as if someone had turned down all the lights, inside and outside, and the only source of illumination left was that serpent-like eye that glowed with amber light. Like a King Cobra towering over a small critter, reptilian and alien mind staring down at its prey - ready to strike it dead at a moment's notice. A chill that was often reserved for those properly of the Turnside, for the many horrors that lay in wait at the Scholomance castle.

It was a glare so full of nothing, so lacking anythng, such a void of things that it froze anyone in place who was subjected to it.

And this time, it had come in response to such a simple thing the blonde girl had said.

"... Love is not death. Death is not love. Only the most vapid poets, the most self-absorbed teens, the most pretentious storytellers equate death to anything positive or try to elevate it. Make it seem glorious or desirable. Death is the end of everything. Full stop. After that there's nothing. Cessation of existence," Souma spoke, his voice cold - almost hateful. "Something positive, even if only in biological sense, like love laughs in the face of death. They are not the same and shall never be. For death is only the mockery of everything that does exist. It is the ultimate coward, and what should be mocked relentlessly instead of seen as something beautiful. To equate killing or death as a form of love..."

Cold sweat against bones.

"--- Is a way to say you know nothing of either."

Where had this come from? What had caused such a rapid change in Souma's disposition? Had it been Alexstrasza's simple musings on the nature of love? Had that been all that was needed? And now, as Souma took a step forward, towards the girl, she could feel her instincts screaming at her. His hand disappeared into the shadows, he was going for something, and even though she was momentarily frozen, Alexstrasza felt like she should have defended herself before it was too late for...!

------- Click.

And just like that.

The atmosphere of null was broken when Souma opened the door to the science class.

"... Still!"

And now he was smiling his usual enigmatic smile, as if that moment of pure intensity had not existed at all in the first place.

"I suppose that love is the great mystery forced upon us all. If you do happen to come under the affections of some person or another, do report your findings to me. I've never had much luck in finding someone interested in me, and in truth, I have no interest myself. But I would like to know the process and how it feels from a purely logical point of view," the one-eyed boy spoke as he nonchalantly walked into the science class. "... That is what it's all about, isn't it? Experiencing what others have not, pioneering new ground and exploring the great unknowns of our lives. Besides..."

For some reason Souma stopped, rubbed his chin... and snorted quietly, in amusement.

"... Seeing someone like you being fawned upon by some guy sounds like it'd be great comedy."

Hisa Momoi

Arriving inside the train station, Hisa immediately noticed that the place had seen better days. The walls were ready to crumble, the benches were barely more than metal skeletons at this point, and the lockers looked like they had lost their keys a long time ago. The "ticket counter" at the western wall had been ransacked years ago, probably, and there were some old graffiti that had been spray painted here and there, signs of local youths being local youths. Indeed, Mercedes, who was currently investigating the ticket counter and the separate room behind it, was poking at the door of what looked to be a safe that had had its door forced open, and everything within it taken.

The station itself seemed to be divide into tree parts. The main room at the center had the ticket booth, benches and aforementioned lockers - a place where workers could have milled about after a long day. The western "wing" of the station, judging by the long corridor and doors along the way, probably had separate office rooms or somesuch. At least one of the doors still had a plaque that read "Foreman" hanging from it, hinting at the room's purpose. And as for the eastern "wing", where the storage room had been... well, it was a bit hard to say since one of the room walls had collapsed, but it probably had contained bathrooms, some sort of cafeteria space and the previously mentioned storage.

Leena, who had been curiously staring at an old, tattered, wooden map of Road's End hanging at the far wall of the station turned around and gave Hisa a cheerful wave as she walked in.

"G-golly, you were fast! Or did you just get curious about this place too?" The bluehead asked. "We haven't really found anything interesting yet, though..."

Hisa could hear Mercedes snort as she stood up from behind the counter.

"Not for, like, lack of trying. Besides, there's the lockers over there. It's, like, a cliche in movies to hide important stuff at train station lockers or whatevah, right?" She asked, vaulting over the counter and walking up to Hisa. "Been trying to find the keys but like, no luck so far."

She leaned a little closer and continued with a whisper.

"... Your boyfriend brought me up to speed. I think the guy's camp is at the west wing. Found bunch of cans and a mattress there, set-up like a camp."

Speaking of Pyry, he was standing near the door to the locked storage room where the person in question was hiding. The boy was clearly trying to pass it off that he was just inspecting the empty shelves of the former cafeteria, but wasn't doing that good of a job at it. After all, while he may have been able to sneak quietly when need to be, appearing nonchalant rather went against his painfully honest personality.

In other words, he might have been a good infiltrator, but not that good at espionage itself.

"Oh, Hisa!" Pyry greeted the girl, lifting his arms - and while his tone of voice was cheerful, his face was serious. "What's up? What brought you here?"

Keeping up with the act still, huh?

Hisa Momoi

I almost could not help but roll my eyes in amusement at the show that Pyry and Mercedes was putting on. Why exactly were they trying to keep it a secret from Leena? One way or another, she was going to know about it sooner than later, so there was hardly any benefit to hiding the truth from her for now.

Or was it to keep the element of surprise? The guy must have noticed something, after all. But in that case, why didn't they just whisper to each other?

Regardless...There really was no point to beating around the bush, was there?

"Well, you'll see in a moment."

After addressing Leena's question, my gaze turned towards the door further back in the building, behind which hid the mysterious man. A short walk later, I was already standing in front of it, with my hand raised to knock on the door.

"Hello?" I asked as I knocked, "I know you're in there. You should come out, there is no reason to hide."

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

A long silence answered Hisa's knock.

One that was eventually ended by a single sound, coming muffled through the door.

------- A loud burp.

"Well, why didn't you young'uns say so in the first place! I'm not gonna hide if there's no point to it!" A cranky old voice followed it. "I've been thinking you're either those darn spraypaint kids again or the damn IRS! Still claiming I'm guilty of tax evasion... bunch of hooligans, all of them! Lowlife crooks with nothing better to do than to bully an old man for money! No respect, I tell you, no respect..."

Still grumbling very loudly under his breath, Hisa could hear how the man started to work on the lock of the door. Meanwhile Pyry shot a confused glance at her. He had probably expected a rather different reaction... indeed, considering that the old man had been hiding from all of them, spying on them, it was unexpected for him to just give up like that. Then again, he didn't exactly sound the most coherent - if anything, his constant quiet ranting made it seem like he was one of those ornery grandpas that, once you got them started, would never stop complaining.

... This might have been a bit of a mistake.

While Mercedes hung back, Leena walked over to where Hisa and Pyry were as well, curious gleam in her eyes. And just in time too, as the door finally swung open, revealing the person behind it. Standing in the doorway was a surprisingly tall old man - almost as tall as Mr. Oceandrop was. His clothes were old and rather beaten up, but once upon a time they could have even been considered stylish... aside from the dusty fur mantle he had thrown over his shoulders. As for the man himself, he seemed to be in a rather good health considering he was a hobo, yet his beard and hair were unkempt and his eyes... were intense. Very intense. Intense in the scary kind of way - where you could never be quite sure what the person in question would do.

Luckily, he seemed to be in surprisingly decent enough mood, all things considered.

"So!? Whaddya punks want? Are you after me food? No no, no can do! I don't care if they've put trackers in you through all that cafeteria crap and pie you've been eating! My food's for me alone! Can't let them find me, see? Mufufu, I'm too smart for them, too smart..." The old man spoke, cackling while stroking his beard. "If you want my advice? Stay very, very still. See, these IRS blokes... their eyesight's based on movement. If they can't see you, they can't tax you. And if they can't tax you, they have no power over you, mufufufu..."

Pyry blinked owlishly at this tirade of nonsense that came out of the man's mouth. The old hobo seemed to realize his stare, as he jabbed his finger towards the boy in a threatening way.

"And you! You big'un, you'd do well to cut a few inchess! Otherwise you're gonna get git! You'll never know what they'll do to folks who're too big, you don't..." the old man continued. "That's the thing with this town, see - everything's that's too tall gets chopped down. And that's what the spirits didn't like, no sirree... that's when the real trouble started."

The more he spoke, the more his ravings started to resemble lunacy... but surprisingly enough, before either Hisa or Pyry could say anything in return, Leena stepped forward and raised her hand in a greeting.

"Hey there, Ash! I see you're still well!"

Wait. Did she know this guy?

"Hmm? Well well well, if it isn't the young McLampet's shadow!" The old man named Ash replied. "How come you're out and about even though it's still a day out? Did'ja finally turn into a Commie?"

Leena snorted and rolled her eyes.

"No, still not a Commie, Ash. Gosh!" She replied, before putting a hand on Hisa's shoulder. "It's because my friend here, um, helped me! That's all! So now I feel a lot better even when I'm out like this."

For a moment, those intense eyes of the old man locked with Hisa's... and during that moment, the scarred girl could practically feel that there was much more intelligence behind them than his cooky appearance and words let through. Almost like he was hiding his true mind from those around it, shielding it away with a bunch of nonsense.

"... Well. Then you've done right by my friend, young lady," the old man said and stuck out his hand for a shake. "So I s'pose a thanks is in order. And apologies I was thinking of dumping a couple'a buckets on y'all to make my daring escape."

Leena giggled a bit and shook her head, as if to signal to Hisa to not take the man's ramblings too seriously.

"A-anyways, this is Ash! He's the local... local, umm..." The girl stammered, as if not wanting to use the word hobo. "That is, err..."

The old man, on the other hand, let out a loud "hmph!"

"Drifter! Only, I drift from one room to another, not between towns!"

New Person Met!