Page 193 of 244 FirstFirst ... 93143183188191192193194195198203243 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,860 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 09.09.1994 (FRI)
    Weather: Rain

It is hard to describe what happens when John takes his first taste of Avery Walker’s famed pie. It is an explosion of stimuli striking his tongue hard and fast and without mercy. He has tasted plenty of good food in his life—Sakura’s cooking most recently—, but it is merely sustenance, and this as easy to disregard as everything else.

“This…is good,” he says, realizing how lame it sounds the moment it comes out of his mouth. “No, calling it just ‘good’ feels wrong somehow. It’s so…the flavor, it’s so…vivid.”

The flavor is strong without being overwhelming. It is just the right amount of sweet and sour in a tingly way. He does not realize he is eating a little faster.

“Well, it’s not like we were chosen for Pinefall for our friendliness and outgoing personalities,” John comments after the others make their points. “Furthermore, as long as some people’s priorities lie outside of the school, there is little any of us can do.”

He will have to collate information with others to learn more about whatever may be at the lighthouse. One of Bambi Doubleday’s “legends” on sale was connected to the lighthouse, if he remembers correctly. He has to assume it is of some importance. Unfortunately, he is not made of money.

“I see. In any case, ‘something’ happened at the lighthouse that most of you did not quite catch. Well, at least you got something like a scare. I did see something kinda ghostly during my test of courage, but I cannot say it was in any way frightening.”

“And you,” he continues, his sharp gaze turning towards Ubon as he hands her several napkins. He has to stop the compulsion to wipe her face himself. “Take these. You’re having food, not facial cream.”

Looking at her for a moment longer, John ponders a thought that struck him while eating Avery’s notable pie. An idea growing in his calculating mind. Regardless, there are other things to ponder before acting on that idea.

“Please excuse me for a minute,” he says. Standing up to make his way to the counter. He does have a request to make to the woman in charge, but that is not the only reason. He did say it just earlier: this town is naturally predisposed against them. Therefore, he wants to get a better look at their surroundings.

It does not hurt to be cautious.

It takes no time or effort to ask for a portion of pie to go, in which time he also gets a better look of the other people in the establishment. The woman in angler’s garb and the kid with her are obviously minding their own business. It is the man at the furthest booth who triggers all his alarms.

The fact that he is so hard to look at, as if John’s focus drifted away the moment his eyes rested on the man’s seated figure, and the way his mind blanks the moment he looks away, cannot be anything other than supernatural. John Dove knows very well when his brain is not working as it should. Making as if to check out the layout of the place, John tests his focus. The memory of his savior of that night remains as present and sublime as something can ever be. It is exclusively his mental image of that man that his brain seemingly refuses to commit to mind. His short-term memory cannot record his features.

Dangerous. It is a skill that is both subtle and overt. It is a flawless skill for remaining unseen and unremarkable, unless you are aware of the existence of the supernatural. In other words, it is a skill for escaping the notice of those ignorant of the Turnside.

Why is this person here? Is it a coincidence and he just happens to be here, or is he here because of one of the people here?

In the current circumstances, John Dove cannot assume things are coincidental. It would be hard to tell Ubon without drawing the attention of his other classmates, and he cannot keep wandering to and fro the table without appearing suspicious.

Placidly, casually, John walks in the direction of the toilets, which happen to be in the direction of the furthest tables. He wants to know whether the effect strengthens or weakens with distance, and perhaps, by looking from a position closer to the man’s, he can tell whether his attention is centered on anything in particular. If that gets the man’s attention on him, well…he’ll have to deal with that if it happens.
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; March 21st, 2021 at 05:39 PM.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Colt Davin & Liana Skye

"C-Cool and cute revolution, thou sayeth...!? T-T'is a truly baffling thing to say, that is... I... I art not... gah... gaaaaaah...!"

It seemed that Tris had reached her boiling point.

Of course, it didn't seem to require much to send the blonde girl into overdrive, but Liana's pin-point accurate verbal attacks had certainly dealt more than a few critical hits. Growing panic shone in Tris's eyes and her face was growing the shade of red that would have made any tomato plantation owner proud. In fact, it was a small wonder that steam hadn't started to rise up from her ears. Anticipating that something was about to blow, Cathie scooted away from the bed with her chair, protecting her tea with her other hand so that it wouldn't be one of the unfortunate victims of... whatever was going to happen.

"T-T'is... that is.. I art... not... forsooth... egads..."

With the hand pressing against her forehead, something in Tris seemed to snap.

"T-t-t-t-thou shouldetedeth notteth sayeth stuffeth liketh thatteth for I shalteth... aaaaaaa...!"

But Liana pressed even further.

And then...

"--- GAAAAH, AH AIN'T NO CUTIE-PIE AT ALL, STOP TEASING ME DAGNABBIT!"

Letting out a very uncharacteristic scream, Tris started flailing with her arms in panic, her unintentional punches swishing around the heads of everyone who had gathered around the bed - though mainly Liana's, for she was the closest.

"Gyaaah! Ah'm just a regular ol' nobody, stop it this instant!" Tris continued, eyes swirling in hysteria. "Y'all just trying ta get me embarrassed, aint'cha!"

Cathie, watching this fiasco go down from safe distance, sipped on her tea quietly as Liana was forced to duck under yet another punch.

"Oh, the tea is quite lovely, thanks", the girl said with a hint of a smirk. "And the entertainment isn't half bad either."

Meanwhile, Dr. Canseliet absent-mindedly dodged a flying tea-cup that zoomed past her head and shattered against the nearby wall.

"Well, Child of Man - you certainly can. I think your 'friend' over here is ready to forgive you for the other day," the good doctor said with a mischievous smile. "Says they're gone 'clubbing' if you need any hints as to their current location..."

Wait.

Clubbing?

... Was there a night club at Road's End?

Prushka

"Oh, a permission? Well then, can I go as far as nibbling~?"

Without missing a beat, Xandra took Prushka's hand with her own and - in a showcase of almost disgustingly gentleman-like manners - knelt down on one foot and planted a kiss on that outstretched hand. Indeed, it was almost like from one of those Disney movies, or perhaps old historical dramas about French courts and their many lies and secrets and fancy dresses... though there was, of course, one thing that was marring this whole image.

And that would be the fact that Xandra was drooling slightly afterwards, and panting rather loudly with a flushed face.

"Give it a rest, you horn-dog," Ahti growled and lobbed a pillow at the girl who was hit straight in the face, and fell with a loud squawk. "I don't care who you drag into your perversions with you, but this one's with me. In other words, I still need her for stuff before you show the type of world where there ain't no escape from."

Xandra, wiping off the drool at the side of her mouth, chuckled with that husky voice of hers as if nothing had happened - as if there wasn't a pillow-shaped red spot on her face right now.

"Heh, you saw right through me... but I can't help it, y'know? Now when they're so young and innocent they come up to me like lambs to the slaughter," she spoke and finally rose up from the floor. "You should give this type of fun a try too, Ahti. There's plenty of other kinds of fun to be had when they're not all curves, you know...?"

Ahti, for some reason, looked at Prushka from head to toe... and grimaced.

"... Dunno if there's enough alcohol in the world to get that drunk," he grunted, before switching his gaze to the silver-haired girl. "Besides, unlike you, I don't do roofies and rope. I got some manners at least."

Letting out another chuckle, the girl simply shrugged.

"Well, it's your loss~"

Somehow, it sounded like talking with her was truly an exhausting thing.

"Anyways... Imp. Meet Xandra Lyssa," Ahti finally said, deciding to introduce the two... even if Prushka already knew who the hooded girl was. "She's from the Icarus Underground - A group that... works in the shadows, opposing destructive Turnside experiments and the like. Despite how she looks and acts, she's - ostensibly - one of the good guys."

Xandra, grinning slyly from ear to ear, made a tiny wave.

"You can think of me as Ahti's case handler~"

Hisa Momoi

Pyry, in the quiet of the room, let out a single chuckle full of warmth.

"... Heh. It honestly feels a bit weird... almost as if finishing something that I didn't even start. But... I'm glad. To hear you say that... I'm truly glad," he spoke, softly letting his forehead touch Hisa's. "And it's reasons like these that I want... no, I need to eventually get my life back. To get my own feelings back. To not let these false emotions they imprinted onto my psyche let me dictate my life. I want to hold dear what is truly important to me - not everything and everyone. And I... I don't wanna put myself constantly at risk."

He pulled back, looking into Hisa's eyes and replying to her with a similar gesture - hand upon her face. It might have been coarse and seen many battles, it might have been changed and weathered down by what he experienced, but that warmth in it was still genuine - still humane.

"I mean... My life isn't just my own now. And I don't wanna leave you alone either," he said, straight and true. "So, in order to not throw my life away all due to my instincts, I need to find a way to break through the last shackle they left me with."

Then, with a bit of a sigh, he looked towards the ceiling and let himself fall slightly backwards, his back hitting the wall. At the same time, he pulled Hisa with him - that embrace feeling so natural now.

"... And I know you're right. I can't go back to being who I was before Jukola - that kid is long dead now. I want to remember him, and he deserves to be mourned for, but I can't let those regrets dictate my life either. What I'm now... something between that boy, the experiments, and the qualia of an ancient hero... they're all part of me now. I've accepted that. I may never be one of those things, but I'm something unique that came out of the fusion of them all," he said, strength of determination in his voice. "And that's also a reason why I want to make my emotions my own... because when I save someone, I want it to be a wish that comes from my own heart - not because some instinct told me."

He nodded, more to himself than to anyone else, and finally laid his eyes back onto the girl in his arms. A gentle smile played on his lips, and there was a renewed vigor, renewed determination, renewed conviction in his eyes. He was no longer as scared or as confused - or as angry - as he had been when he arrived to this room. Instead, he had shed all of that and come to a conclusion.

"--- I want to save you from this loop of tragedy. No, not just you... I want to save everyone. I want to break through the closed-off Sunday and into the future again. And I want to do it because it's what I want," Pyry proclaimed. "But I can't do it alone either. That's why I'll need you by my side."

A hint of a playful chuckle escaped his lips.

"I mean... I'm not as invincible as people think, you know?"

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Awawawa-!"

I said sniff, but she jumped way past that immediately!

I can feel goosebumps and heat creeping up my neck and cheeks as Xandra gets closer, lustful look in her eyes. At some point even my stomach quivers, a familiar nausea building up...

Until a launched pillow bats her away, and I can heave a sigh of relief.

"N-nice to meet you. Please don't eat me... wait."

I blink.

Run that by me again.

"Icarus Underground... Case handler... one of the good guys? Ah!"

I look back and forth between them.

"Ahti's been good!"

I give her a thumbs up. While shuffling out of range of any more sniffing or licking.

"Hasn't eaten or killed anyone or flown off the deep end or anything! Real swell! Perfectly mentally stable! I know he looks like the edgy type with ambiguous morals but he's been on his best behaviour! He even minds his hygiene and remembers to wash! No need to report him or anything!"

There, that should be a good enough review to keep him safe.

Still, it's a bit strange. He's not talking to Jukola, so maybe he's a great guy after all? And Pyry was totally wrong about him?

"But, um... Icarus Underground? I've never heard of a group by that name... actually, I'm surprised you'd work with anyone, Ahti. Thought you were the type to fly solo, fight for yourself... or did you like, reform from your past ways!? Is he actually a team player or something, Xandra?"

Ahti, part of an underground organization of good guys... I can't imagine it at all. But maybe it's possible? Maybe he's like the slightly grumpy Black Ranger who supports everyone from the sidelines while complaining about them.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Tris
    Oh? Oh? Different accent?

---The explosion does not disappoint.

A flurry of panicked flailing sends her own instincts on overdrive, body moving around on it's to nonchalantly move out of the path of the fists that threaten to accidentally strike in the head-!

Southern...?

Yes.

Having to bob, duck, and weave under a flurry of fists does more or less nothing to ruin her room; really, she has to suppress the urge to giggle in amusement as she stays exactly where she is, cheerfully dodging strikes from a girl that should be far less scared now (hard to be scared when you're this embarrassed) and almost making a game of sorts out of it in her head, counting each one she manages to get out of the way of, even as the teasing smile remains on her face-!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris
    "Gyaaah! Ah'm just a regular ol' nobody, stop it this instant!" Tris continued, eyes swirling in hysteria. "Y'all just trying ta get me embarrassed, aint'cha!"
    The smile widens slightly.

Had Thorne been right when saying she could be cruel? This sort of teasing was awfully close to bullying right?

"I make it a policy not to lie, dear."

...Nah it was fine-!

Just gotta find a way to fluster Thorne this much... That'd be a sight...!

"I'll never apologize for calling someone cute, cute-! It's not a bad thing~"

So saying, she ducks under a particularly spirited jab to the face, before nonchalantly turning her gaze back to Cathie-!

Quote Originally Posted by Cathie
    "Oh, the tea is quite lovely, thanks", the girl said with a hint of a smirk. "And the entertainment isn't half bad either."
    "Oh?"

She bends backwards to avoid another dangerous flail in a casual way.

"Good to hear I haven't completely lost my edge as a chef and entertainer~"

A cheerful thumbs up.

Another dodge.

Her gaze returns to the Knightess.

Has it gone too far? Should she stop it now?

---Keep pressing?

No... Continuing to press might be a bit too much...!

"Anyway, this southern voice is cute too! Nothing to be embarrassed about, it's okay~ You can calm down now, I'll leave it at that, I swear!"

---And yet she makes a half-press anyway-!

Was this what she looked like around Thorne?

---Lot of his actions make more sense in that case, still-!

"..."

A part of her brain keeps it's metaphorical eye on a certain doctor and classmate, and...

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Dorothy
    "Well, Child of Man - you certainly can. I think your 'friend' over here is ready to forgive you for the other day," the good doctor said with a mischievous smile. "Says they're gone 'clubbing' if you need any hints as to their current location..."
    "Like the Country Club?"

That one seems obvious to her, and well...

She likes to be helpful where she can be, even if she's not really paying complete attention to what's going on over there-!

"Was going their later on myself."

Bit of a coincidence, but at least that meant it was on her mind-!
    Last edited by Airen; March 22nd, 2021 at 06:53 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“You have not even started it?”

Spontaneously, I turned over, and quickly, but carefully, threw my leg over Pyry and boosted myself up into a kneeling position, my hands resting over his shoulders for support.

“You haven’t done anything this week that let me confirm that my feelings were right, huh?” I said in a playful, teasing manner, “I should be careful, if you can charm girls without even doing anything, then there might be competition soon.”

There was already Ubon at some point, but then...Ubon is Ubon.

“Still, I guess you are right. There was some...starting bias. Memories lost that will never be your own, no matter how much in detail I could show them to you. Memories that I, on the contrary, can’t forget...it’s both strange, and painful, I suppose. But that is why…”

I leaned closer, close enough that my nose was almost brushing against his, close enough that I could feel the warmth of his every breath on my face…

“No matter whether it is right or wrong, no matter how selfish it makes me...I’ll make sure that you never forget me again. Even if it is the last thing I do, even if it will force you to remember other things too that one would rather forget. Because I couldn’t stand losing you like that again.”

The closeness was making my heart beat fast, enough that I could practically feel it throbbing up in my ears. It was hard to keep my breathing slow and calm. My body was tense, tense from anticipation, and I was sure that just a bit more stimulation and it would fall apart. This was dangerous, I did not know what it would be like, but this was certainly more than what I could handle. Slowly I started leaning back, and at the same time…

“A-at any rate…err…”

What was it that I even wanted to talk about? My brain was drawing blanks, and the sound of my heart still pounding in my ears did not make thinking any easier...

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

In his tunnel vision Colt failed to notice the water about to boil over near him. The teasing he hadn’t spared a second thought for reached and exceeded its boiling point with a scream.

But it wasn’t the kind of scream that bothered Colt. Though he initially turned to the source, Tris, in surprise, he quickly adopted a smile after realizing what was really happening.

"Gyaaah! Ah'm just a regular ol' nobody, stop it this instant! Y'all just trying ta get me embarrassed, aint'cha!"

"I make it a policy not to lie, dear. I'll never apologize for calling someone cute, cute-! It's not a bad thing~"

Perhaps it wasn’t wise to leave the blonde at Liana’s mercy.

Y’all…” Colt repeated a choice word from Tris, putting emphasis on it with his own Southern accent. “Y’know, I do so say, I think it’d be a lot easier if ya just talked like this all the time.”

Though late to notice the brewing storm, Colt scooted himself over to beside Cathie, taking a sip of his tea.

The redhead did seem to enjoy poking at him for being from the South. Maybe playing along would just be giving her ammunition, but he couldn’t resist.

“Tris, dearest, bless your heart, ya gotta learn ta take compliments at face value. Why, from where I’m standing, I don’t see a single hint of dishonesty in Liana.” He took a sip of his tea. “Wouldn’t you agree, Miss Walker?”

He would certainly be called a cousin-kisser or some other new jab that Cathie could come up with. Either now or later, this one would come back to bite him. But he weighed the pros and cons, did the math, and it all evened out in his head.

The shattering of a dodged teacup drew Colt’s attention back to Dr. Canseliet, who resumed once more as though no silliness was present.

Clubbing?

"Like the Country Club?"

“Wait, a little town like this has something like that?” Colt looked between Liana who had mentioned the country club to the local, Cathie, for confirmation. “Seriously?”

Blog Entries

Elaine Winters

Compared to the last time she had been here, the overlook couldn't have felt more different.

Instead of a clear view over the whole town and crisp blue autumn skies, everything had been more or less covered in a great big sheet of grey - rain falling over the whole area like a blanket of misery that just wouldn't let go. In a way, it was almost like the weather itself had heralded the arrival of the weekend, and the tragedies it would bring. At the same time, it was also foreshadowing of the storm that was just around the corner - the storm that, in a way, felt like the turning point for how this week would end. Indeed, thinking about it, it was as if the storm was the final bell, and the Sunday that followed was just the aftermath.

But still, for some reason, as Elaine saw the lively form of the broad-shouldered principal let out a satisfied laugh and greet the scenery with open arms, it felt like through those clouds there was still a ray of hope.

No matter how dark things got, no matter how tragic the ends might have been, there was still a chance - a possibility - that somehow this could all be turned around.

Wasn't that what Muse had also said? That while the forest may be dark and the paths may be twisting and turning, there was a way out.

"Just in time, I think..."

So muttered Mr. Oceandrop as he checked his wristwatch. The expectant smile on his face had solidified and judging by his body language, the older man was getting ready for something... almost like a moviegoer as the lights dim down and the silver screen expands.

Something was about to happen.

And it started with... a sound.

--- For some reason, Elaine suddenly could heard the ticking of Mr. Oceandrop's wristwatch.

Very.

Very.

Clearly.

"And here... we... go," Mr. Oceandrop muttered, sounding satisfied. "The mystery of the Ghostwood Overlook... a certainly strange place, even at Road's End. Strange enough that the local Klallam gave it a name."

He turned around and smiled mysterious at the blonde girl.

"ʔáwə sɬə́məxʷ spə́ɬx̣ən - The Bluff No Rain Can Reach."

It was at that moment, when the man said it, that Elaine started noticing something strange. The rain... she could hear it. She could definitely see it in the distance. But out here, atop this overlook, she... could not feel it. It no longer hit her raincoat and her hair, and it no longer soaked the nature into dark and dreary colours. There was a smell of definite rain in the air, that refreshing taste of spring and autumn, but that's all there was.

And right above them, she could see how the clouds creeped open ever so slightly... and sunlight started to peek in, like a spotlight thrown straight at the overlook.

Lucille Faraday

"Mm. Good night, milady."

Giving that quiet goodbye, and with one last warm smile, Sakura bowed a little to Mercedes and exited the room. This left the two girls alone, with nothing but the sound of the distant rain to bother them. Mercedes, after glancing at her friend and seeing that she was still trying to get some sleep, snorted a little bit and quietly packed away the notes she had been making. Most likely she had more or less written everything Lucille said down, and the theories she had formed based upon it could be thought about another time.

For now, with a little giggle, Mercedes snaked her way into the bed and gently pushed Lucille towards the wall as she claimed a spot for herself.

"Alright, scoot over dear - like, I'm gonna need some space too," the starlet chuckled as she got comfortable as well. "A little nap never hurt the brain after all - and who knows, maybe your subconscious can work something out while you snooze or whatevah."

Pulling the blanket over both of them, Mercedes let out a little sigh. Despite the fact that she had joked about it, it seemed that the actress, far more than even Lucille, was in need of some rest. And who could blame her?

Just few hours ago, she had shot herself in an effort to save her friend.

She should have been exhausted.

... No wonder Lucille could feel her shivering, even if Mercedes tried to act like nothing was wrong.

"--- Sheeze, don't let me see nightmares..." the starlet muttered as she closed her eyes.

And thus, silence fell into the room once more.

Elise Pelltier

"Prophecies..."

Subaru fell silent as she mulled over the word. While Tonkori seemed to be in heaven, happily wagging her tail and letting her tongue loll out thanks to Elaine practically spoiling her rotten with affection, her owner's expression had grown far more serious. The tiny shrine maiden rubbed her chin, thinking over the question the brunette had posed to her... and after a moment of quiet more, she finally answered.

"I... cannot say that I am an expert. The only prophecy that I know of is one regarding my family. Or rather..." She hesitated for a moment, before shaking it away with a hint of a smile. "... Regarding me. It ties to what I spoke of regarding my own past. Of how I was chosen to lead our sect and become the 'Heretical Saishu' despite my noble blood. Indeed, I was chosen for my role because of a small prophecy, spoken by an old woman in Adachigahara. So, while you could say that my path in life was directed by one... I, unfortunately, cannot say that I am familiar with their workings."

Tonkori, perhaps sensing the mood change, gave Elise a little push with her head, as it to encourage her and tell her not to lose hope even if the situation wasn't the brightest. Subaru, upon seeing the affection of the animal, smiled just a little bit.

"Prophecies, in the end, are as much the work of man as they are the work of fate. Or that is how I feel, at least. Indeed, in most cases, a prophecy can only come true in hindsight. For that very reason there are many more prophecies that never came true than those that did... though, of course, if there are infinite alternate realities, then perhaps every prophecy is true in one of them. And our current reality is a product of simply few," Subaru mused. "Nevertheless, a prophecy can only be seen as valid if it has already happened and we know that it did. That, in the end, is the true nature of them. Before they have come true, they have no real power, and it is only in the aftermath that we can say that they did - and that this power guided the events. But... if there were a prophecy that held power to affect fate before anything had even happened at all, well..."

Subaru's expression grew a bit darker.

"That would be a curse, would it not?"

Vier Wolff

Finding a way to the second floor, as it turned out, wasn't too hard.

Aside from the obvious solution of going from the inside, after scouting out the building's exterior, Vier eventually spotted a rusty ladder that led to the roof of the train depot. While it was slippery from the rain and not in the best of conditions, by utilizing her gear and her natural talents, the girl was able to get up it silently even if she was carrying the doll with her. From there, it was just a matter of making as little noise as possible to move across the sheet-metal ceiling and watching out for any rusty spots where her weight would most likely send her plummeting back to the ground.

After making her way across the rooftop, Vier reached one of the many large - and broken - windows of the saw mill's second floor. One of them was more or less completely missing its glass, so slipping in through that was quite easy. After making sure that there was nobody around to see her enter, Vier was able to squeeze herself through said window, before pulling the doll named Sakura after her. The two of them landed onto a walkway that rounded the interior perimeter of the main hall of the building. Down below, they could see the massive equipment and saws standing still in the darkness and the shadows, unmoving and forgotten by the town that had loved them so much.

The metal walkway was creaky, but by adjusting her center of gravity lower, Vier was able to move absolutely silently towards the other end. There, after exiting the main hall, she found herself in the few corridors that criss-crossed around the various offices and break rooms of the building, along with few storage rooms. Some of them had their doors completely missing, from some it had fallen to the floor and in some, it had stayed decidedly locked. But as she moved around and checked every room that she could, Vier eventually came a to a singular conclusion.

There was no one on the second floor.

No, more importantly than that... she couldn't smell any telltale sign of gunpowder in the air.

Had Fyrtio even come here today...?

Or had she...

------- Just then. Suddenly. Vier heard a noise. One that broke through her thoughts.

And that noise didn't come from the second floor rooms or the corridors. No... it came from the main hall of the saw.

Sneaking back, the girl and the doll peeked through the doorway and the walkways beyond, and into the massive machinery hall itself. For a moment, it was hard to see what had caused the noise, but after waiting for a minute or so... they eventually spotted the source. Something, or someone, was moving down there, hopping over some of the machinery that acted as obstacles and gently pushing aside junk. Whoever this newcomer was, they most certainly hadn't spotted either the doll or Vier, and judging by the way they moved, they probably thought they were completely alone. A person waiting for an ambush wouldn't have looked around in such a manner. They were searching for something, yes, but not Vier.

But still, the question remained...

... Who the hell was this guy?

John Dove

Getting closer to the strange man, whose appearance eluded John and his memory, was easy - at least on paper.

However, approaching him head-on while on the way to the toilets, somehow... somehow it filled John with a sense of unease. It was the similar sort of unease as one would get when walking through a yard where a ferocious, child-biting dog was known to sleep... or perhaps, walking past the cage of an wild animal at the zoo. It was a certain primitive part of every person's mind that warned of those sorts of things, those little lizard-brain moments where the old instincts engrained into one's DNA would flare up. And John Dove was going straight against those instincts by heading towards the source of that feeling.

It was at times like these that John Dove's emotionless mindset served him well. Even if he felt the warning signals in his head, he was capable of ignoring them if he so wished.

Still... who was this man?

Definitely Turnside. One's appearance didn't simply fade away from memory easily like that.

He got closer and closer, and as he did, John found that even his mind's eye began to sharpen again. Like a picture coming into focus now that he was pushing past whatever ability was keeping the man's appearance from being noticed. And as he got so close he was only few meters from the man, passing by him on his way to the toilets...

--- Something in John's brain clicked, and he was capable of seeing through this illusion of sorts.

There, at the table, sat a man who was devouring the remains of some steak and mashed potatoes - slowly, deliberately enjoying the remains of the meat. On the table in front of him was a copy of this day's "Road's End Gazette", and the strange man's focus was mostly on it. In all honesty, he simply looked like any old customer, and the reason as to why he had such a strange illusion placed around him seemed arbitrary to say the least...

Until John felt it.

This close, and without the illusion to shield him, that same feeling of danger flared up again.

... It smelled like wild dogs.

And as if to respond to his observation...

"............?"

The man glanced in his direction, as if sensing John's stare.

Hisa Momoi

"Mm, y-yeah, um... s-sure... I mean... yeah. I-I won't forget. N-n-not ever again."

In that moment, in that dimly lit room, Hisa Momoi came upon an interesting discovery.

That being the fact that Pyry Leijonamieli, despite his unwavering will and strong conviction, and an attitude to face everything head-on and never back down from a challenge... was utterly defenseless against any aggressive forms of affection. Or rather, his stoic and confident facade crumbled like a house of cards when pushed like the girl had just did, leaving him completely beet red on his face and stammering like a teenage boy during his first confession. The tall boy's eyes were jumping from one end of the room to another and he seemed to have a hard time looking Hisa straight on. Instead, he gulped loudly, tips of his ears burning red, and scratched his hair.

"S-s-so, don't... don't worry! B-besides, I mean, uh..." He tried recollecting himself, succeeding only in half of it. "Even if there were any c-competition, I think... I think the winner is quite clear at this point..."

It was quite the change in attitude.

But it did reveal one crucial fact.

Despite his experiences and despite his usual attitude, Pyry was... quite pure underneath it all!

Perhaps he was just not used to having someone aggressively approach him like this, or perhaps he had been taken by surprise, but nevertheless, it was almost funny in how quickly his reaction had changed, and how much the boy could blush. In that sense, maybe the truth of his past wasn't the only secret that had been revealed to Hisa today...

Seeing a big man act so shy all of a sudden was certainly an experience, alright!

"A-ahem!"

Suddenly, Pyry cleared his throat, clearly trying to switch the topic before Hisa got any ideas of latching onto his sudden showcase of weakness. It was, after all, some prime teasing material, and clearly something he didn't want the girl to realize any time soon.

"A-anyways, you said that you had something you wanted to do today?" Pyry asked, making a vague gesture. "And you talked with Sakura about it too, right? W-what was that about, then?"

... It was like he was making an escape before Hisa could make steam explode out of his ears.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

After spending some time looking for a discreet way in, I found it. Rusted ladder leading to the rooftops of the train depot and from there an open window for me to go through on the second floor. Yes, I could’ve gone through Fyrtio’s original entrance if she was here… But if I want to ensure that she doesn’t panic and ambush me first… I need to ensure that she has a weaker or equal position to me. People tend to prioritize self preservation after all… or if they don’t then there’s a different problem.

“Okay I’ve found our way in. Just hold onto my back and whisper if you spot something.”

After making sure no one was watching, I rushed towards the ladder and started climbing upwards at a rapid but quiet pace. Once I got on top of the roof, I laid down on this wet metal roof… Why? First, I’m reducing visibility on me. Second, I was less likely to fall through this rusting metal roof because my weight is more dispersed in comparison to my weight being more centralized from standing up. Because otherwise, I wouldn't be doing this either. I would’ve preferred walking carefully across this roof and keeping myself more dry.

Thankfully, the distance wasn’t that far, there weren’t any active watching guards to my knowledge, and even then visibility was pretty horrible. So I could crawl at a faster pace than a stalking crawl. Once I got the window, I leaped over immediately and checked the area to get my bearings and assess the situation. Coast looks clear. No immediate threats. Nothing suspicious. So far it looked like an industrial version of last night, an abandoned building left to rot in the elements. However, there was something in the back of my head feeling that something was off.

It took me slowly crouch walking across the second floor… But I realized what was nagging me earlier. There wasn’t the smell of gunpowder anywhere. Not even a hint of it. Combined with the fact that I’ve combed through the floor very carefully… I could only come up with one conclusion. Fyrtio was neve-

THUD!

While there were many noises going on due to the fierceness of the ongoing storm outside with plenty of thudding like noises as the rain hit the metal roof above me. The location and the slightly louder thud meant that something happened. Ideally, it would’ve just been a piece of equipment finally breaking down even further… But that’s just being overly optimistic. So I decided to do the logical thing and check what the source of the noise was.

Eventually I did find out what made that noise… It was a light blonde guy with green eyes surveying the region. Whoever they were… They weren’t Fyrtio. I debated going through the second floor to see if Fyrtio was ever here. But judging by the lack of gunpowder and movement on the second floor… Combined with the lack of ambush on the guy below me… She wasn’t here. I get nearby Sakura to whisper to her.

“...Looks like I’m going to have to divert from my original plan to see what this guy is up to unless you’re capable of watching him. If you can watch him while I try to confirm if there ever was someone else in this building before us. I doubt it… But it looks like Fyrtio was never here in the first place.”

Elaine Winters

I puffed out a small breath as I moved into the clearing at the end of the path, the titular overlook itself. It afforded me a pretty solid look at the weather, the dark clouds swelling in all around us, all around this small town.

Sure, right now it was a bit of a rain, but from here on, it'd just get harder. The end of the week, the chaos on Sunday, the teetering madness on Saturday, even tonight, things would begin to fall apart.

How would it happen this time? Would the Hospital cause something different? Would we find something in there, something to break us apart? Already I feel like crosshairs are fixing on people, Vivienne doesn't trust me and I have no idea why, did someone tell her I was untrustworthy? Who would have done it?

Would they go mad this time, and strike from an angle I can't see?

And Kean's been gone all day today, should I try and find him?

Can I find him?

What if this time, he...

But the headmaster, Oceandrop, pressed into the clearing and spread his arms, laughing, the mirthful sound incongruous with the darkness swirling all around us.

For some reason, it eased the knot curling around my insides, and my shoulders relaxed a hair.

Well, it was what it was. And I am what I am, the adage remains the same.

I wasn't here to hurt people, nor would I let people be hurt if I had the opportunity to prevent it.

Maybe this time...

The clock ticked, and I blinked, head swerving towards the silvery watch adorning Oceandrop's wrist, and I frowned.

The mystery of the Overlook, the bluff no rain could reach.

And just so.

The rain did not touch the overlook, the rainscent, wet wood and faint ozone touched at my sensitive sense of smell, but it was as if the rain had stopped, just in this one spot.

And there, above us, there was a crack in the clouds, and it was small, so small it scarcely covered the bluff where we stood, but for now, there we stood, the pair of us, in the midst of a rainstorm, dry and standing in the sun.

I remembered a moment, when I was very young, I must have been about seven, it was the late fall, cold outside.

We were somewhere up north, between towns, they were shorter on cash than they expected, because of...

Well.

So we'd camped out.

If it was pretty bad, we'd crash in the car, but while it was cold, it wasn't super cold.

Dad had worked some sort of something on the car, and we'd trooped off the road a ways, hauling the supplies with us, setting up a little campsite to settle down for the night.

I couldn't sleep, so I'd crawled out of the cramped, odorous tent and, draping a blanket around me, stepped outside.

I missed my mother then.

I still do, but less so.

I felt cold, and despite being surrounded by my father, who even then I could tell loved me, but wasn't always the best at showing it, and my two idiot brothers, who made up for their thick skulls with big hearts...

I was alone.

It hadn't been so long since I'd joined them, after all. I didn't know what they did then, or why they'd traveled so much, Dad asked me if I wanted to go stay with Uncle Jeb, up in New Haven.

It was a long way away, but I remembered liking Uncle Jeb, he was a big man, built like a mountain man, all beard and brawn, he didn't have children, or a wife (I didn't realize until later what that implied), but he was loving, and I knew he cared.

But in that moment, all I wanted was my momma.

My father was outside by the fire, he was the opposite of Uncle Jeb, he was thin, lean, all he could grow was a scruff around his cheeks and chin, and his hair was always cropped military short.

But I was never afraid of him.

He always looked at me very gentle, like he did on that night, when I was cold, sad and so alone.

He scooted over, and said nothing, so I sat by him.

He didn't have to say anything.

I remembered looking up at the stars, and how clear they seemed, not blocked by anything in the world.

He spoke then, pointing out the constellations, the stars in the sky, Orion's Belt, Skoll and Hati, he pointed out Polaris and Sirius and the planets, Venus and the distant Mars.

He told me then, in not so many words, that even if you couldn't see them, they were still there. Even if you couldn't see the Sun, he said, pointing to the Moon, hanging whole in the sky, that didn't mean the Sun wasn't shining on the other side.

Things just get in the way of seeing how things are, sometimes.

Don't make things more complicated than they have to be.

A lot of this stuff, worrying about what could be, about snakes in the grass, about people who could hurt me.

It was all clouds, muddying my thoughts and making me lose sight of what I needed to be focusing on.

Making me lose sight of where I was, what I was doing.

This moment, the sunlight shining in the midst of the rain, clear on this one spot, made me think of that memory, of a much smaller me.

How little has changed, I thought, smiling a bit.

"I wonder why it only stops here," I said, quietly, glancing around the top, "Something special about the mountain? Or just this spot here in particular."

And only at a particular time of day as well.

Some sort of spirit? Leyline fuckery? Fucking magnets (how do they work)?

It roused my curiosity, my nose twitched as I peered about.

Heh.

Almost like that Tuesday so long ago.

'The game's afoot.'

Wonder if Hisa's doing alright.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

The fountain pen between her fingers spun in a reflexive twirl, even as Anna’s attention was fully occupied with the papers laid out in front of her… and the white, roughly cut, stone that lay a bit further on the desk.

Fundamentally, the power of the cliffs was that of separation. Of isolation. In the end, it wasn’t too unexpected of dear old “La perfidie Albion”. Well, she shouldn’t complain too much. Structurally, the magical foundation here was no different from the Hexenringe, the “Ronds de Sorcière”, the Elfendans, the Cylch y Tylwyth Te, or even the Hiis that intertwined the mythology back home. They were all a certain type of “boundary” that existed between here and “there” that separated one type of land from another. An alien land of myth and legend. Perhaps it would be accurate to call something like that the “Turnside of the Turnside”.

Well. Perhaps that was selling what was in front of her a bit short. The structure in this case was a bit different. Rather than the focal point being the “other land” though, the “boundary” itself took the center stage here. Those blasted Isles had always been a place rich in Turnside, after all. Whether that had been due to their isolation or whether the accumulating inflows of numen were the thing that had caused their isolation and “otherness” in the first place had always been a bit of a chicken and egg question, but…

Well, in the end, that type of theorizing was just an intellectual curiosity. And they hardly had time for something like that in these days.

"I'd usually sign with the idea that the best defense is a strong offense, but honestly... you know him better than I do, I think. Think he's capable of handling something like that? I mean, at the end of the day, he's just a high school boy... even if a bit weird one."

"... Then again, he spends his days in the shadow of death, so maybe he's gotten desensitized."
    Anna’s voice was mired in thought, even as her eyes still remained locked on the crystal in the distance.

“Mmm…. I agree. Based on his personality… That idiot requires something that would drive him forward. A powerful defense only has a value when the person who holds it has a drive and capacity towards victory.”

“If he had desire for the future that he was fully cognizant of then maybe, but as is, something that “isolates him from the world around him” would be as counter-productive as it gets. It would just feed into his insecurities. Leaving aside the practicalities of a defensive enchantment on someone with no offensive capabilities.”

“It would extend the inevitable, but nothing more.”

“In the end, Dove needs something that will force him to acknowledge his own capabilities. Something like this would be perfect for him. Even if it is something small and relatively minor, that “I am worthless and utterly irrelevant” excuse that keeps on hounding him would shatter completely.”

The pen twirled once more between her fingers, even as the focus of her thoughts shifted from one topic to another.

“Because there would be something that he could do, after all. We’ll be able to turn that same mindset of “I can’t do anything, because I am powerless” on itself.” Anna flashed the white-haired merc a brief smile. “Kinda like the Ouroboros eating it’s own tail, eh?”

“He will have the capacity to change things. And, as such, he would not be able to not do something.”

Anna’s eyes flickered towards Ramia, as the pen in her fingers suddenly came to a dead halt.

“Its because that idiot is fundamentally a person that cares about others. Even if he is trying exceptionally hard to ignore it. An individual who truly has no empathy would never need this level of self-delusional justification about their capacity in order to justify their own inaction.”

“They’d just not give a shit.” For a moment, Anna’s eyes flickered away from Ramia and towards the other pair in the room. “Speaking of people who supposedly have trouble expressing their emotion… What’s your read on those two, Indy?”
    Last edited by Mellon; March 23rd, 2021 at 06:07 PM.

Hisa Momoi

Realizing how all I managed to achieve was to make Pyry even more embarrassed than I was, I quickly climbed out of the bed and walked over to the window to peek outside.

[Remember the reporter from earlier? He said he was going to interview McLampets’ old maid at their manor. But there’s just something fishy about that…]

The sudden change to this form of communication should have been easy enough to understand. Unlike speaking normally, there was absolutely no way for anyone to overhear things like this.

[Well, I hope, at least. Going there for nothing at all would be quite demoralizing, especially this close to Sunday.]

I had to get something right at least. I couldn’t just keep letting Pyry and the others down…

[I asked Sakura to tag along as well. I’m...not really sure why, to be honest. Normally I’d prefer to work with as few people as possible...but well, at least in this case we’re past the awkwardness of just trying to pretend to be normal.]

Well, Sakura was already past that before we even discussed this...but then that is probably because they talked with Elise earlier.

[We should set out soon for that, anyways. Don’t want to be late, and we can just discuss the specifics later.]

Just like last time, it didn’t seem like the rain was going to stop anytime soon. Except that now, there was something much gloomier about it...because I knew what was going to come after this. Strangely enough, Inacio’s hunch about the storm last time turned out to be rather accurate…

With a sigh, I turn back to Pyry, and my lips curl into a small smile.

“Anyways, try to stay connected as much as you can, even if we’re not actively talking about something. It helps me understand better where exactly our problems lie...which could also mean fixing them that much sooner.”

Hisa Momoi (Sakura)

“W-we can watch but it’s not like we can do anything if he decides to do anything funny.”

Being blessed with a hint of common sense, the doll’s voice was nothing more than a whisper either, very much unlike its usual self. Still, it made up for it with its usual rather expressive manner, as it pouted slightly with hands on its hips, clearly displeased with Vier’s suggestion.

Or perhaps it was the fact that it could not do much in this case, and that it had to say this fact out loud was what bothered it.

“More importantly, it was a possibility that Fyrtio was ‘looping’ like us too. In which case, it was likely that she might not visit the same location again. On the other hand, we have never seen this guy. Maybe Fyrtio’s presence just scared him off last time? Or maybe he is ‘looping’ too?”

Tapping its lips with a finger, the doll seemed to be deep in thought, but reaching a conclusion with just this much knowledge was impossible. Instead, as if it came up with an idea, its small eyes turned towards Vier as it tilted its head.

“Do you want me to talk to him? It would let you remain hidden, in case something happens. Though, I suppose, watching is an option too.”

Both options had their ups and downs, in the end.

Last edited by Cheetose; March 24th, 2021 at 05:49 AM.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Time slows down. It is after all, but a construct born of rational recognition. If anything, it is irrational to expect it to have a fixed rate.

John does not know—cannot know—whether this man is good or vile, kind or wicked. What he does know is that this man is dangerous, and that is everything he needs to know. This man’s attention should not fall on his classmates, nor theirs on him. Normally, he would take the risk and try to get anything out of this mysterious and dangerous stranger, but that is not a choice in the current circumstances. Not with Inacio, Caleb and Aleen present. Now that he has chosen life, he cannot put others at risk solely to focus on his drive to oppose their cage of time and space. He does not have the ability to protect anybody from the powers of the Turnside, so he cannot afford to stir any hornet nests.

Initiative is the prerogative of the can-do’s, and John Dove is not one of them. That is why, when the stranger catches notice of John (because of course he would) and their eyes finally meet, the high school boy knows exactly what to do.

“Um, good evening,” he utters, the perfect image of an ordinary person who is caught staring and just wants to pretend nothing happened. With that, he makes a hasty retreat to the toilets.

A few seconds later, he is washing his hands—he has no real need to use the facilities, but he needs a few moments before going back to his classmates, for several reasons. John Dove must always consider the worst-case scenario—in this case, that the man has deemed him suspicious and will follow him there. John would not mind that, as long as Ubon and the others don’t get involved. Admittedly, the man did not seem to have any interest in the other diners, but perhaps he is just that subtle, and John cannot just dismiss stumbling on an obvious element of the Turnside at the local eatery.

John will stay there, in front of the sink, for a reasonable amount of time. If nothing happens, well, that’s just “peachy” as they say. He still has to ask Ubon whether she can get the key to the main building’s second floor again.

Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "But, um... Icarus Underground? I've never heard of a group by that name... actually, I'm surprised you'd work with anyone, Ahti. Thought you were the type to fly solo, fight for yourself... or did you like, reform from your past ways!? Is he actually a team player or something, Xandra?"
    Xandra, upon hearing that, burst into laughter.

"Ahti? Team player?" Aha, ahahaha~!" The girl guffawed, wiping tears from her eyes while the guy in question scowled at her. "I think you're misunderstanding something here, cutie pie. Ahti and I aren't working together here... or, at least, we weren't. Not until we ran into each other earlier this week, that is. It's been a while since we've seen each other, but we both arrived here for our own reasons."

Finally having calmed herself down, the silver-haired girl sat back down, but not before flashing a teasing grin towards Ahti's direction. The boy let out a derisive snort and rolled his eyes, but for some reason his tail was slowly swishing to and fro, as if he didn't even notice it.

"That being said, good to hear that Ahti's been keeping clean since we last met," Xandra continued. "Never figured he'd go around making friends, either - much less ones who'd crash through the windows to get to him. And to stand up for him."

She shot a poignant look towards Prushka. Ahti, on the other hand, grunted in displeasure.

"Long story short, Icarus Underground were the guys who helped me out from... where I was. Xandra was part of the team at the time," he explained. "That's kinda what they do. Go around the world, shutting down dangerous experiments and rescuing test subjects held against their will. And since she's here on their behalf, we figured it'd be good to compare notes from time to time."

Xandra, hearing that, nodded.

"Yeah. I'm here because of... well, I don't even know yet, if I'm completely honest. Arrived here undercover with my friend, but the point was, we've been hearing rumours of some magical experiment being performed here. Possibly with human experimentation," she explained. "I'm pretty much the advance party, scouting through the town to see what's what. So imagine my surprise when I run into Mister Dark-Tall-and-Fuzzy over here!"

Ahti nodded as well.

"So yeah. There you have it, Imp," he concluded. "We came here for different reasons, but we do have some history together. That's about it."

Colt Davin & Liana Skye

"Can it, hayseed. And don't talk to me in that ridiculous manner - you're sounding like a dollar store cowboy."

Cathie's answer was lukewarm at best, but the way her eyebrows scrunched at Colt made it clear that she wasn't a fan of being dragged into this bizarre showcase of Dueling Accents. The redhead took a sip of her tea, finally finding her cup empty. She then left it to the nearby desk, tapped the sides of her mouth with a napkin (as if trying to create some semblance of good manners when surrounded by a group like this) and finally turned back to the rest of them.

"We just got the poor girl back to the land of the living, so don't go having a hoedown even if it's in your blood. Besides, while you're doing it on purpose, she clearly has no better idea," she said, before looking at Tris. "Ain't that right? It's not like you want to sound like a yokel - unlike this dude over here."

She pointed her thumb at Colt... but, for some reason, Tris only blinked at them in confusion. The dangerous-yet-cute tantrum had finally subsided, and no more fists threatened those around the blonde girl. And while she still might have been red on her face, right now she mostly just looked... genuinely confused. Yes, confused. As if she suddenly had no idea what Liana and Colt had been talking about.

"Y-yokel...? Dost... dost thou meaneth that I hath soundeth like a peasant so far?" Tris asked, looking now embarrassed for a whole different reason. "I... I hath no idea! 'Tis quite shameful of me, then... I doth apologize to all of thee. T'was not mine intention to sound so... lowborn."

While Cathie certainly snickered at the last term used, even eyeing Colt as Tris said it, she did however notice the strange disconnect between what Tris had said and how she had just acted moments before.

"Err, while I agree what you said there, that's... didn't you notice?" She asked. "You kinda changed your accents there. Or rather, you're talking like a whole different girl now. Less General Lee, more King Arthur..."

Again, Tris quizzically tilted her head at this question.

"I... art not sureth what thou meanst, Miss Cathie," the girl replied. "'Tis art mine natural way of talking, and I do not believeth I changed it - at least not on purpose..."

An awkward silence fell into the room as those gathered there mulled over the implications of this strange reveal.

"Hmm, sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, don't you think?" Dr. Canseliet suddenly said, reaching over Colt and plopping the locket back into his open hand. "And to answer your earlier question, Child of Man... yes. There indeed is a country club here - not too far away from your school, actually. Just take the road to south, and you should arrive there."

For some reason, Cathie frowned.

"Aah, yeah... that place," she said with clear distaste in her mouth. "A nest of overly rich and fat serpents right next to this town of ours."

It certainly sounded like she had an opinion or two about the clientele of the country club.

Hisa Momoi

With the plan now set (and with Pyry having regained his composure), the two of them had set out from Pyry's room. After all, they could discuss the specifics of the plan while driving, and trying to make plans without Sakura, who was involved with the operation, wouldn't have been wise. Thus, the duo got suited up and headed out into the rain, covering their heads from the water falling from the skies. Judging by how empty it was at the campus, it seemed that either most of the students had left somewhere else as well, or then they had decided to stay in their rooms. At this point, there weren't really other options than that.

Eventually, Hisa and Pyry got the latter's car in their sights. The blue vehicle was sitting there at the parking lot, as if waiting to get back into action. Seeming to share that sentiment, Pyry grinned a little and fished out the car keys from his pocket, jingling them around and spinning them on his finger. The boy, now that he was back in his element, felt eager to get back into action... possibly to forget the rather innocent side of himself that he had revealed.

All those feelings Hisa could vaguely feel through their strengthened connection. The link was working properly, and by dividing a part of her subconscious attention, she was able to start working on deciphering just what the instincts that Pyry had truly meant. But that meant delving deeper than these surface emotions that guided him right now - such as the clear love he had for his car, or how his happiness jumped whenever he glanced towards the girl.

... It was, honestly, a bit embarrassing to be in a constant connection with someone else.

"Well, there you are."

Luckily, Sakura was here to divert Hisa's attention from the mental link so that it wasn't on the forefront of her mind.

"Guess we're both a bit early," the brunette said as she walked over to the duo. "But nothing wrong with that."

Sakura, instead of her usual style, was dressed in a slim-fitting raincoat that was in the colour of dull browns, greys and other muted colours. In that sense, it almost looked like some sort of camouflage pattern without being overtly one. That being said, the raincoat also hugged her body quite... generously. Sure, it meant that the thing didn't flap in the wind or make unnecessary noises, but it was a small miracle the woman didn't feel embarrassed to wear something like that.

"So, am I finally going to find out where were going?" Sakura asked with a hint of a smile as she greeted Hisa. "I have to admit, I've been getting curious."

John Dove

Speak of the devil and he doth appear.

Perhaps John should have eventually learned that things never had a habit of just taking the easy route. Or rather, whenever there was a chance that something bad could happen, it most likely would - especially if he brought up that possibility and secretly hoped that it wouldn't come to pass. It was almost akin to daring the gods of irony to throw something unexpected and horrible on your path.

Or in this case... having the door to the bathrooms of A.D.'s suddenly swing open.

"......."

Without even looking up from the sink, John could realize that he had been followed by the silver-haired man... and quite quickly at that. Perhaps the man's lack of reaction from before had just been due to him being too flabbergasted at John's reaction to act immediately, perhaps he had actually thought whether or not he should follow. Nevertheless, he was here now... and as he stepped into the bathroom and closed the door behind him, John could hear a mechanical click.

The door had been locked.

No escape now.

"........... Hey. You."

The voice was rough, quiet and quite rude... but at the same time, not too hostile. Indeed, it was almost as if a certain amount of rudeness was just the natural tone of the voice, and it had nothing to do with the man's mood itself.

"It's one thing to see through the field..." the man spoke with a low tone, watching his every move. "... but to feel nervous enough to sweat? Makes me curious. In a bad way."

Wait... what was that accent?

Scandinavian?

"So, yah... start talking. Quickly now," the man commanded, narrowing his eyes at the boy. "Who are you?"

... Despite the threatening air, why did John suddenly feel like he was in Fargo?

Elaine Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "I wonder why it only stops here,. Something special about the mountain? Or just this spot here in particular."
    "Mm, I wonder that as well."

Walking over to the binoculars set to watch over the outlook, Mr. Oceandrop replied with a mysterious tone.

"The indigenous people of this land knew about many things. Some of them things of the past, some of them things of the future. To the most valued among their tribe, from what I understand, time was not linear. No... their eyes saw the past, the present and the future, all co-existing. A non-linear temporal vision, from what I understand. A great gift... and even greater burden. Or so the legends say. Perhaps someone more affiliated with science would call that seeing in four dimensions... or perhaps not. I admit, I've never been too good at understanding such concepts," the principal spoke. "Still... they spoke of many, many things. Such as this overlook, such as the nature of a cuckoo, such as the chevron room where the spirits of this land reside - offering guidance to those who float between the world of the living and the dead."

For some reason, it almost felt like something in Mr. Oceandrop's presence had changed. The atmosphere around the overlook had drifted away from the momentary reprieve and calmness of it all, and instead, it felt almost as if the myriad shadows of the forest were slowly pressing in. The tone he spoke with, quiet and strange, was more fitting for tales of mystery and folklore around a campfire than a discussion with a student. And... he did not look back at Elaine.

No, he kept his eyes on the town below them.

"There's supposedly a map... a map where they recorded all this information. Difficult to decipher, yes, but at the same time invaluable in its knowledge. Finding that map, if it still exists, could prove useful in making sense of what's truly happening. When I was young... I saw a part of it. And it guided me to the Petroglyph Cave. But the things I saw... I exchanged that guidance to my own memories. I no longer even remember where it is. In exchange, I saw the path I had to take to end up to this day," Mr. Oceandrop continued. "And now we are here. The culmination of all those paths. The line between the real and the dream. I wonder... can we find our way out?"

Since... when had the topic changed?

Since when had the man before Elaine started speaking of things he shouldn't have had any idea of.

Since when had he started sounding like... he was more than aware of what the girl was going through?

"... I have to work by the rules or it won't. But even I can bend those rules a little bit. My authority as a principal may be the only one I have now, but even it allows me to catch a hold of some loopholes. That thing... it tries to blend in its best. It would not risk standing out. One or two lessons might be fine, but... it would not go as far as getting into detention," he spoke, that deep voice of his rumbling in the forest. "Hence, I knew that if anyone would end up in detention... they would not be it. I hope... I truly hope that my risk has paid off."

With that, the man turned around.

"Tell me, Elaine Winters..."

"... Are you Elaine Winters?"

The clock ticked away.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

---How strange.

Having had her fun with the blonde, the expression that crosses Liana's face at the explanation of how Tris saw things, of not knowingly changing her own way of speaking, well...

Some form of disassociation...?

...It becomes more troubled, just a bit, an unconscious movement of the face that goes from cheerful laughter to something closer to curiosity, or perhaps worry...?

Either way.

Violet eyes affix themselves upon the girl as the others talk, bright as always, clear as always, and then...

...What...

...A hint of surprise, no...

The hell...?

I really might need to get my eyes checked out...

Confusion?

Yes.

For a moment the girl simply seems confused, but soon enough...

"The club does seem rather... Opulent yes."

...She goes back to normal, eyes closing themselves for a moment as she decides to reply to Cathie's remarks...

"But some of the people there are cool, it's not all bad, far as I can tell."

She shrugs.

She liked Hawthorne and Sierra, so...

"I can take you there if you think you'd get lost Colt."

It was her own ultimate destination anyway.
    Last edited by Airen; March 24th, 2021 at 04:14 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Elaine Winters

I frowned, and it grew firmer as Oceandrop went on.

Cuckoos, sounding like other birds.

'For in the end, there's only you.'

Different angles.

Is that was this is about?

A map that, what, tells everything that's going to happen? Past, present and future, all in one space?

Petroglyph Cave...

Line between reality and the dream, the unconscious, the record.

The Chevron Room, offering guidance?

Was that the clearing, with that Muse character, the eternal child?

Or was it something else?

I shifted my balance as he shifting his line of thought, a 'thing', hiding in plain sight, among the class.

The imposter.

That's why we were here, isolated, it wouldn't separate itself from the flock of sheep it lurked in, a wolf in teen's clothing.

My lips twitched.

How ironic.

And as he turned to me, this strange man who was simultaneously impossibly stern and incorrigibly goofy stared me down, the clock on his wrist ticking away.

I stared back at him.

Was I Elaine Winters?

The exact answer to that question was both more and less complicated than I could really explain and have it make any sense.

There were a multitude of ways of looking at it.

But for now, in this place, for the purpose of his question, of what I presumed he was getting at:

Was I who I claimed to be?

The answer was simple.

"I am."

It was always that simple, no matter how I can complicate it within my own mind.

"No matter what I've been through, no matter how much that answer has been made to shift, to forcibly change against my will..."

I half-smiled.

"Despite everything, I'm still me."

And that was a thought I would always cling to, in the dark of the night.

It was a great victory.

"I'm not the imposter that that Mr. Rosencrantz spoke to me about on that Tuesday evening, here, where we stand now."

There was a small, almost microscopic pause.

It may as well have been the size of a mountain, though.

"So, uh, what's uh, what's with that stuff on your head."

I squinted at it.

Looked like the aforementioned petroglyphs he'd spoken about.

I didn't typically busy myself with cave carvings, I was more of the intellectual property theft style of magical researcher.

Which takes quite a bit of creativity, I'll have you know!

But in any case, the glyph on his head wasn't anything like I'd worked with in large scale, maybe in passing, perhaps. Like in some of the oldest pieces of shattered artifacts found in various horrible places.

But I couldn't say for certain.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Ah... so she saved you..."

At some point I sit back on the bed, next to Ahti, who is the safer of the two. He might eat or manhandle me, but at least I'll be safe from any lewd stuff.

I look up at him. He's grumpy again. Well, I did just jump in through the window like an idiot.

"...sorry 'bout that. I'll use the stairs next time."

Still...

"Rescuing test subjects, shutting down experiments..."

I squint at her. Xandra Lyssa, superhero? Protector of children? I almost can't believe it, but... if Ahti's the one saying it, then...

"Thank you very much!"

Then she's definitely one of the good guys! Even if she's a bit rotten!

"Androids locked in vats, alphabet soup espers being turned into weapons, mystic sacrifices to old gods, children kidnapped to be magical experiments, innocents deemed heretical without cause, and regular humans caught up in the Turnside... I'm sure they're all really grateful."

He's probably grateful too. Though I can't imagine Ahti ever saying 'thanks' without a huge blush on his face.

"There's also definitely a lot of weird stuff going on in town. Both local and fresh off the boat. So you'll probably find plenty. Not sure about human experimentation though. If there was something like that, it would probably be in the hospital or the locked facilities below the Devil's Dishes; the government likes their secret programs after all. Well, unless you're counting the whole Oceandrop Program as one big experiment. Which it totally could be."

Still, it's strange. Xeni was undercover as Alex... so does that mean Alex is part of the Icarus Underground as well? Xandra only mentioned one partner though...

Either way, I clearly had things mistaken.

"Oh, uh, and sorry for interrupting. I can go, if you two wanna discuss sensitive stuff."

Did just get in the way of their meeting...

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"Can it, hayseed. And don't talk to me in that ridiculous manner - you're sounding like a dollar store cowboy."

"We just got the poor girl back to the land of the living, so don't go having a hoedown even if it's in your blood. Besides, while you're doing it on purpose, she clearly has no better idea. Ain't that right? It's not like you want to sound like a yokel - unlike this dude over here."

"Y-yokel...? Dost... dost thou meaneth that I hath soundeth like a peasant so far. I... I hath no idea! 'Tis quite shameful of me, then... I doth apologize to all of thee. T'was not mine intention to sound so... lowborn."

“Nothing, huh…” Unconcerned with the redhead’s reception and the snickers at the allegations of being ‘lowborn,’ Colt sighed at Tris’ regression back to her… courtly, knightly mannerisms. “And here I thought that might work.”

"Err, while I agree what you said there, that's... didn't you notice? You kinda changed your accents there. Or rather, you're talking like a whole different girl now. Less General Lee, more King Arthur..."

The blonde tilted her head again. At that Colt noticed that Liana was also eyeing Tris, the friendly tea-maker, cookie-baker looking somewhere between confused and surprised. Perhaps both.

Understandable. Colt himself couldn’t get a read on it either, but this wasn’t the first time today he’d caught a glimpse of Tris acting very un-Tris. She’d slipped up much the same way before, and just like before she carried on as if it never happened.

The first time he thought she was just ignoring a mistake. Acting as though it didn’t happen out of embarrassment. A part of him had thought that she might be a little less embarrassed if she wasn’t the only one talking that way, yet…

"I... art not sureth what thou meanst, Miss Cathie. 'Tis art mine natural way of talking, and I do not believeth I changed it - at least not on purpose..."

Colt couldn’t see the girl purposefully ignoring how she had changed just seconds ago. Rather than ignoring it, it was as though she had forgotten it completely. Someone had rewound the twangy-swanky tape, taken it out and swapped it with Ser Tristellia, leaving the girl all the unaware she could be.

He had half a mind to pursue it this time, unlike earlier this morning. He had let it go but now he was sure it was more than a personality quirk. What he was seeing could get you a desk at Pinefall Highschool for Troubled Youth.

"Hmm, sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie, don't you think?"

But the other half of his mind was alike to that of the good doctor, who so saying returned Colt’s locket. After all, he had plenty wrong with him. What right did he have to prod at what was wrong with someone else?

“Another time then.” Colt agreed, smiling at the locket that now rested where it belonged. With him. “I’ve got plenty of… time, after all.”

"And to answer your earlier question, Child of Man... yes. There indeed is a country club here - not too far away from your school, actually. Just take the road to south, and you should arrive there."

"Aah, yeah... that place. A nest of overly rich and fat serpents right next to this town of ours."

"The club does seem rather... Opulent yes. But some of the people there are cool, it's not all bad, far as I can tell."

“Well, s’not like being rich makes you the devil or something.” The boy couldn’t help but be curious of what kind of rich and fat serpents were spending their time at a country club in a small town such as this. He also couldn’t help but be curious what they were doing, or had done, that gave a local like Cathie such a clear disdain for them. “Though I guess I know how that lot can be.”

He could feel the irony.

That’s right. Lowborn.

But not a lowlife.

"I can take you there if you think you'd get lost Colt."

“Ah, I don’t think I’d get lost, and I’ve got my bike and all, but well…” The boy looked to Liana, then Cathie, and finally Tris. “Will you be okay, Tris?”

Hisa Momoi

“Getting there earlier is not going to hurt, especially considering that we should take the last bit on foot.”

I rested my eyes on Sakura for a moment - her outfit was certainly unusual, but not exactly unexpected. Looks aside, it was...quite practical. Prioritizing that and locking her sense of shame away showed how serious she was.

But then maybe she just didn’t have any sense of shame to begin with, and just liked showing her body off.

Well, matters not.

I gestured towards Pyry’s car with my head, implying that it was best to talk there than here, and once everyone took their seats, I turned back towards Sakura while also keeping half an eye on Pyry.

“As I already mentioned to Pyry, the plan has to do with the reporter we met earlier, “I started explaining, “He said he was going to interview Beatrice, the maid of the McLampets at their manor tonight, first and foremost about the Girl in Blue...but with how Beatrice is, I assume he is expecting other valuable information as well.”

“Now...this is all nice, but the moment I start considering all the circumstances...it just starts to reek of danger. The McLampets were, and probably are quite powerful and well known, and not exactly for good reasons. Same could be said about the Girl in Blue...it’s almost for certain that she was at least partly responsible for all the things that happened. And in the midst of all this, there’s this woman who was the closest to the Witch’s Lair...or Lions’ Den, whichever you prefer,” I continued, “Point is, she just sounds too shady for me. Even these days, she supposedly hangs out a lot at the lighthouse...which, as you might already know, turned out to be some cursed beacon for souls…”

It could still just be me overthinking it, seeing clues and connections where there are none and wanting to write her off as suspicious and evil…

“At any rate, the exacts of the plan are quite volatile. Listen in on the interview, and step in if my suspicions turn out to be true...Also, since it’s likely that we’re not going to make a habit out of visiting that place, I would like to be thorough and see if there is anything else of interest in there. Still, before I explain the rest…”

My attention turns fully to Sakura, in an attempt to get a read on her thoughts so far;

“Does that work with you so far? Any questions? We haven’t exactly talked too much before...so not sure how much you know.”

Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "Oh, uh, and sorry for interrupting. I can go, if you two wanna discuss sensitive stuff."
    Ahti snorted.

"Too late for that now, Imp," he said, plopping his hand down onto the helmeted head as if to keep the girl sitting there. "You already crashed the party, now you gotta say and be a part of it. Besides, you might learn something useful too."

With that, the boy turned his eyes towards Xandra, who was sitting there - on the chair - and eyeing the two of them with a strange smile on her face. However, whatever the reason for that smile, it was pushed aside for now. Instead the silver-haired girl adopted a more serious expression - a rarity on her face to be sure. She crossed her legs and folded her arms, leaning bit back on her chair so that the front legs rose to the air.

"He's got a point there, cutie pie. And since you're also in the know, might be useful to hear your side of things as well," she said. "You mentioned the hospital... yeah, that's what I've been investigating as well. It's not that easy to gain access though. They do help out the locals and you Pinefall students, but if you're an outsider, they keep a close eye on you. Plus those armed goons they've got hiding in plain sight... in a way, I can understand them - they're partially there to make sure nothing goes wrong with the school where possibly violent cases are trying to be reformed. But at the same time... it's certainly a bit of an overkill. Plus there's this..."

Fishing out something from her jacket's pocket, Xandra threw said thing to the bed where both Ahti and Prushka could look at them. As it turned out, it was a collection of polaroid pictures... three to be exact, each depicting a different person. Ahti, curious, lifted up the first one which depicted a rather sly-looking man with a smile that did not reach all the way up.

"That's Elliott Challenger - a top-level researcher from US Air Force Research Laboratory. The Space Vehicles Directorate, to be exact. From what we know, he was heavily involved with the High-frequency Active Auroral Research Program and establishing it. A suspicious man to say the least, he seems to have his finger in just about every pie that's worth a conspiracy theory about - at least when it comes to the US government and its branches."

Ahti frowned at the picture.

"He does look like a jackass alright..." the boy mumbled. "A pretty punchable face, if anything."

With that, he set aside that picture and picked up the next one - this one depicting a woman.

"That, on the other hand, is Ms. Dakota Discovery," Xandra continued. "Formerly an observational astronomer for NASA, nowadays I think she's more or less a liaison between them and the Air Force. From what I understand, she was making some waves at Maxwell Air Force Base just recently. A rather unpleasant woman, from all I know. Not only that, but her family too... apparently they were involved with some scandal at the University of Colorado a long time ago."

Again, Ahti frowned.

"Yet another punchable face..." He grunted, throwing away the picture. "What's with all of these jackasses?"

Looking a bit annoyed, he picked up the third and final picture.

"And finally, Brion Kampff. One of the top dogs of the Voight-Kampff Medical, as his name suggests. They're a German based company that specialies in bionics - biologically inspired engineering. Think of prosthetics, medical equipment, replacement organs, et cetera," Xandra explained. "He's a solitary man, even within his company, and rarely makes public appearances - much less involves himself in affairs not related to his research."

Ahti blinked at the picture, this time looking a bit confused.

"Hmm... something's off about his eyes," the boy muttered. "I don't like the look in them...."

Xandra let out a humourless laugh.

"Well, you're not wrong. He's pretty infamous for how cold he can be. That being said, these are all, even under normal circumstances, suspicious individuals, but... and here's the real kicker."

She lifted her thumb up and pointed it towards the town.

"Every single one of those three has been spotted at Road's End."

Colt Davin & Liana Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Ah, I don’t think I’d get lost, and I’ve got my bike and all, but well… Will you be okay, Tris?”
    Tris returned Colt's worry with a faint smile - not as powerful as her usual ones, but still a warm one.

"Mm, worry for me not. I shalt just rest a teensy bit, and after I shalt be as good as new!" She said, slapping her bicep to reassure the boy. "We can simply meeteth after thou hast visited this place and seen to this important person of thine. A-after all, I do not thinketh that I shalt be leaving for a moment at least..."

Dorothy Canseliet, chuckling to herself, sat down on her wheeled chair and directed that enigmatic smile of hers towards the group - Colt specifically. The boy could practically see the gears in the strange woman's head turning, planning something and trying to figure out how to squeeze every last bit of fun there was to be had from this whole event. Liana, on the other hand, clearly understood that her "Aunt" was having quite a bit of fun on Colt's expense, and was not likely to let go of her new toy... at least for the time being.

"Oh, you can count on that. You won't be getting out of that bed before I get my pay, after all," the good doctor giggled, waving her hand. "I've seen Misery, so I know what techniques to use if it comes to that..."

For some reason, that giggle sounded a bit scary.

"... That being said, Child of Man, perhaps you should ask from your friend something to pay me with?" Dr. Canseliet continued. "I'm sure they have a baubble or two they can part with, and if nothing else, it'll be a fun game to occupy ourselves with. Perhaps a bit of correspondence chess, or something of that ilk. Or, if you're going to be stubborn, you can think of this as a chance to think some more - about what's really important to you~"

Cathie, who had stood up from her chair also, frowned at the doctor but did not say anything - at least out loud. Both Colt and Liana could still hear her mutter that the doctor was being way too creepy for her own good. However, the redhead pushed past sentiment and instead took a look of the two while putting on her jacket.

"Well, I guess if you two are headed out together to that nest of snakes, you got all you need. Both the person who knows where it is and one with a bike," she said a bit awkwardly, scratching her cheek. "So, uh... I suppose you won't be needing me for this trip."

Hisa Momoi

Sakura nodded with a hint of smile.

"So far, so good. I admit, I've been a bit curious about the McLampets myself... they are, after all, the ones who basically made this town. If anyone's going to have skeletons in their closet about the strange local going-ons, then it has to be them," she replied. "In other words, I think that's a good idea - kill two birds with one kunai, as it were. Listen in on the interview for anything important, and while we're there, look around the grounds and the mansion itself for anything that catches our eye."

Leaning against the backseat, Sakura rubbed her chin... and Gradient, who Hisa had invited along from her room as they had left the dorms, mimicked the girl. The brunette looked a bit confused for a moment at that, but soon enough her face melted into a smile and she ruffled Gradient's hair, earning a delighted noise from the weird girl.

"From what I gather, there shouldn't be too many people at the mansion. Just the current owner, Josie McLampet, and her daughter... though nobody's seen her for years. And if what the townspeople are talking about is true, I don't think there's going to be any servants either. Just a lonely woman in a big empty house. That makes sneaking both easy and difficult. After all, any strange noise in there is going to catch Josie McLampet's attention," Sakura explained. "Plus, they probably have some automated alarms or something. I suggest that if the area has a wall around the perimeter, we park some distance away, sneak over the wall and jog it on foot to the mansion. Then find a good spot to listen to the interview and afterwards see what's up in the mansion proper."

She grinned a little at Hisa.

"If luck's on our side, Mrs. McLampet is the type to go to bed early. Would give us a lot of leeway with our investigation."

Pyry, who had been listening in on the conversation, nodded.

"Yeah, I'd say that's the best approach. As much as I love my car, it's still hella noisy," he said with a lopsided smirk. "In other words, if we drive up to the gates, they're gonna know we're around. I'll try to find some good, secluded place to park near the mansion grounds."

Sakura, on the other hand, looked at the rest of the quartet with a bit of a thoughtful look on her face.

"That being said... how are you three at staying quiet? Sneaking is an art, and unfortunately I'm a bit of an solo act... I may have couple of things in my arsenal that could help you, but most of my abilities are only meant to help me personally," she asked. "Depending on your prowess, that affects our approach as well..."

Elaine Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "So, uh, what's uh, what's with that stuff on your head."
    Despite his stern look, Oceandrop smiled at the question.

"Nothing. Or, well, something of course, but nothing to worry about. It's just a sign that the time's close and I'm allowed a bit more freedom than normally," he answered without really answering at all. "If you don't see these, then it's almost guaranteed that I've returned to being my normal self - the one you see at school most of the time. Talking to me in those times will be... well. I doubt I'll be able to help as much as I can now. That me is still part of the loop."

Wait, had Mr. Oceandrop just referred the strange phenomena that had affected almost half of Pinefall's First Class? That knowing look in his suddenly blue eyes... it definitely suggested so. It suggested knowledge of things that he previously hadn't, and understanding of things that the teachers should have been oblivious to. So, what did it mean? Was this man the same man as before? Or someone else?

And conversely, did he mean that he was no longer a part of the loop?

"There's not much time, so I'll say what I can. Listen, Winters... you're right. There is an impostor at the school. No, not the whole school... among the students. There's something hidden among all of you. Something not human. It only appears as human. It is the cuckoo, hiding in plain sight, speaking with the voice of another... and it is why everything is the way it is," the principal spoke with a grave, serious voice. "It is the root cause - the underlying reason - for everything. If it wasn't here, we would not be here today. The shape of the present would be different. But... here it is. Somewhere among you. Eluding the eye by using the greatest disguise that it can... one that you accept and think as real - one that causes no disconnect with the world around it. That is why it cannot be found - not via normal means. It's even questionable if it knows that it is not truly what it says it is. For what better disguise is there?"

Taking a few short steps, Mr. Oceandrop walked up to Elaine and stopped in front of her. Sternly, he placed a hand on her shoulder and looked the girl deep in the eyes - almost as if trying to drive a part of that determination he held within him into her, to give her some strength in the trials that would surely follow.

"I know what I'm saying won't make much sense to you... or perhaps it does. Whatever the case, you must remember what I'm telling you here," he spoke. "The true nature of the one who is the cause of all this, this infinite loop that traps us with it, and the keys that can perhaps break us free from this all. Listen. Search for the map of the Klallam - the Dream Map - to find out about its past. Its not the first of its kind. Then, use this nightmare to your advantage. When the chessboard is reset, but only for your opponent, you hold the upper hand. Utilize it as your advantage to see through the lies even it believes in. And, lastly... remember. Remember the truth. Aside from where Ms. Leuzinger sat..."

Mr. Oceandrop squeezed Elaine's shoulder tightly.

"... The bus was supposed to be full. Find them all. Learn who they are. There's only one of it against all of you. At the end, it is the one who should fear... not you. In the haste to deal you with the most tragic hand possible, it did not realize it gave you all the cards needed for a victory. All it takes... is a miracle," Mr. Oceandrop spoke, and in that stern voice, Elaine could hear an undercurrent of stiffled emotions. "... And I know you lot can find that miracle. I believe in you all. You're my students, and if there's anyone in this world who can set us all free..."

A faint smile rose to his face.

"--- It is you all."

Alexstrasza Lockhart

Travis, hearing these words and seeing the look on Alexstrasza's face, didn't respond to that smile. Instead, if possible, his frown just got worse. The boy didn't seem to think that the answer he got was satisfying... or rather, that he couldn't agree with the sentiments presented. Something in it stuck out to him like a sore thumb, and he clearly wanted to refute it - yet did not find the right words to do so.

Even Potemkin was silent, mulling something over... though Alexstrasza could feel that her attention was solely on the thug-like boy.

"...."

The one who did respond to the blonde girl was, however, the tiny child at her side.

With a bit of a smile, Stephanie nodded at Alexstrasza. More than that, she extended her hands like a cup, allowing the irate amphibian to hop on. The frog gave Alexstrasza's finger one last nibble - as if in a protest - and then leapt off, straight into the waiting hands Stephanie. The small girl smiled at the tiny creature and then walked over to the side of the road, where she set the animal down onto the ground. A load croak echoed at the roadside, but it was impossible to tell whether it was out of gratitude or out of annoyance. With that sound, the frog hopped into the undergrowth of the forest, never to be seen again.

The Ghostwoods, welcoming yet another of their residents back, softly swayed in the rain and the wind.

"....!"

Apparently satisfied with what had been done, Stephanie took Alexstrasza's hand again, the two of them now ready to start down the road once more and catch up to Travis. However, the boy hadn't gone ahead. Instead he stood there, looking at Alexstrasza with a strange expression. The anger and curtness of the thug-like boy had disappeared for a moment, and instead...

... He looked almost sad.

"... You know, it's not extraordinary. Looking at you, it's inevitable. And if these sort of mundane things are what you consider rare, then it's not just that," Travis spoke with a quiet voice. "In that case it's just... lonely, I suppose. That's what a normal human would call it. And the fact that you can't even seem to realize it is the worst thing of all. You've gotten so used to being alone that it doesn't even register to you, does it?"

With a sigh, the boy scratched the back of his head and turned around. He started walking, heading towards the town and clearly determined to get away from this solemn stretch of road soon.

"Whatever... I'm not a shrink. Not my side of expertise. Though, if you really are lonely that you can smile while saying depressing shit like that, then..."

It was impossible to see what sort of expression Travis wore.

"... Well, you can always come do stupid shit with me. I'm good at killing time anyway."
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; March 25th, 2021 at 12:25 PM.

Elise Pelltier

Tonkori gave her a nudge of encouragement. Reminding her not to lose hope.

It helped a lot.

"Thanks, Tonkori," said Elise as she gave Tonkori an appreciative scratch behind her ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru Iburi
    "Prophecies, in the end, are as much the work of man as they are the work of fate. Or that is how I feel, at least. Indeed, in most cases, a prophecy can only come true in hindsight. For that very reason there are many more prophecies that never came true than those that did... though, of course, if there are infinite alternate realities, then perhaps every prophecy is true in one of them. And our current reality is a product of simply few. Nevertheless, a prophecy can only be seen as valid if it has already happened and we know that it did. That, in the end, is the true nature of them. Before they have come true, they have no real power, and it is only in the aftermath that we can say that they did - and that this power guided the events. But... if there were a prophecy that held power to affect fate before anything had even happened at all, well… That would be a curse, would it not?"
    "I've heard about prophecies like that. The kind that don't so much predict the future, as much as they make it happen," sighed Elise as she looked up at the clouds, "They're supposed to be exceedingly rare, like, rarer than the highest grade Arc-Relics, but… well, those don't seem that rare around these parts."

Somewhere around three to six, and that's just the ones I've heard about, and if there's anything I've learned this week, it's that there's a whole lot more going on here than we noticed last time around.

She turned her attention back to Tonkori, "That sort of thing does sound like it'd be a curse though… I admit, curses are a bit outside of my wheelhouse. How would something like that even come to exist? How would you create a curse of that… magnitude? Nevermind why you'd wish for something like that."

Elise sighed harshly, "Still, it didn't happen last week. Given the way I, uh, I died, it would've been impossible. If it was something inevitable then it shouldn't have been able to not happen, alternate timelines or no. So I'm going to take that as proof that this isn't one of those prophecies."

"Then again, there are plenty of cautionary tales of the mere idea of the prophecy is what brings it about. Where the efforts to prevent the disaster are what cause the disaster. The Lowgates, by all accounts, seem to have driven themselves to ruin because of this prophecy, and now they're not here to help us. Not unless we're successful in helping Samuel tonight anyway."

That damn prophecy's also one of the reasons why Michael Lowgate got so twisted up inside in life that he's haunting Lucille in death.

"I guess there's no real way of knowing what kind of prophecy you're dealing with until it's too late, huh?"