Page 153 of 244 FirstFirst ... 53103143148151152153154155158163203 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Elaine Winters & Alexstrasza Lockhart
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)
    Weather: Overcast

Travis frowned at the other young man.

"... Complication? As in?"

The shaggy-haired young man, one who had to be around 18 or 19, let out a vague noise and flapped his arms a bit, showing that his sleeves went almost past his fingertips. Looking at it, his wardrobe seemed almost too-carefully chosen, to the point that it was clear that he wasn't just dressing in whatever, but had actually painstakingly chosen each article of clothing to give an image of a stylish drifter of sorts. It was the style that had its name coined not too long ago, one called "grunge"... but some ten years later, another similar term would appear to replace it - hipster.

Now this grunge-inspired young man seemed to have no proper answer for his accomplice.

"There was... uh... a break-in. Yesterday. At the hospital. Somebody was at the basement. I couldn't go snooping around, since they had guards posted," the young man finally replied. "It was apparently some Fed that was visiting that noticed it - informed the hospital staff. So, I was... stuck in the lobby... not really able to go anywhere. They're running a tight ship..."

He sighed in a bit of theatrical melancholy and played with a lock of his hair, looking rather disappointed.

Travis, whose hair was still wet from swimming, sat down on the pile of pool equipment and bit his thumb in clear frustration.

"The hell they're hiding in there...? First the kid from last night, now that? Wonder if there's some connection?" Travis muttered, more to himself than his aloof companion. "Still... she's a big name in pharmaceutics. Even in the boonies like this, ain't no way in hell that she can just up and disappear."

The other youth tilted his head like a scarecrow.

"... Not everyone is a pharma-nerd like you, you know?"

For his efforts, the other boy got a pool noodle thrown at him.

"Shut it, Noah! I ain't asking for your opinions!" Travis growled, glaring at the other guy. "... Anyways. Any word from Toronto?"

Still struggling with his pool toy, the other man managed to shake his head while trying to regain his balance and not splash down into the pool.

"... N-nope! DRDC is mum, as usual. You know how they a-are..."

Travis sighed, fishing up a cigarette from his pocket and lighting it up, letting the smoke reach for the ceiling.

"Goddammit... this is why I hate the government..."

Meanwhile, behind the door, Subaru shot a warning glance to both Elaine and Alexstrasza. While they were hearing some strange and interesting stuff, it was only a matter of time before they'd get caught. After all, while Travis and the other youth (named Noah, apparently) were still focused on each other, that could change in a heartbeat. In other words, now it was time to make a choice.

Should they risk it and listen in some more?

Or should they retreat for now?

Prushka & Vivienne Bianchi

"H-huh? Right..."

Ahti's response to Vivienne's quiet words was a momentary confusion and it came out a little bit awkward. He hadn't even really noticed that the girl had done the deed, and was now staring at the spot where he had been pricked with the needle somewhat dumbfounded. He touched it with his hand gingerly, as if expecting to find blood or perhaps weirded out that the girl had used her handkerchief to clean that spot up. Then, showcasing that same awkwardness, his single eye flashed towards Vivienne, and for a moment, he seemed to be studying the girl in under some new sort of light before muttering...

"... Thanks. Or whatever."

Even in gratitude, he managed to sound grumpy.

But at the very least he had shown some gratitude?

Still, before the situation could get any more awkward, Prushka spoke up once more, and things were more or less back to business again. Ahti didn't really offer much in terms of answers, only grunting something about being "a tough son of a bitch - tougher than it expected" when it came to Prushka's comment about the knight. Afterwards, he was handed a map and a pen, and as per Prushka's request, he started marking down the locations that he had mentioned earlier... though he did seem to have some trouble understanding the map in the first place. It almost looked like he had no proper understanding of the abstractions of the map, and had to be told which location was which so that he could use them as a reference for his own markings.

It was not until the subject of vegetables came up that he finally let out a proper response.

That being...

"Like hell am I gonna eat any rabbit-food!"

... Or so he protested, actually snarling like an animal and chomping his sharp teeth for good measure.

Still, things were being relatively peaceful for a change.

At least, until the subject of entertainment, and especially comics, came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Smugshka
    "Ahti, you like comics? What kind? Newspaper strips? The funnies? Dime a dozens? Underground comics? Indie comics? Horror comics? Detective comics? Japanese comics? Do you like Archie, Ahti? Is Veronica your favourite, or Betty? Or maybe, since you're from across the ocean, you read Tintin instead? How about Disney comics? Do you like superheroes, Ahti? Batman? Superman? Spiderman? You seem like a Batman sorta guy. Or maybe Wolverine's more your deal? What's your favourite comic, Ahti?"
    Ahti stared at Prushka with that one, singular, ice blue, annoyed eye of his. He stared and stared, glaring a hole through the girl's head while a low growl started emanating from within him. And when that sound was getting sufficiently loud enough he set his pen aside, scratched his gauzes a bit (he had been scratching them every now and then after the needle, almost like he was getting itchy) before finally answering...

"... I read Roope Ankka, you Imp. Don Rosa is a national treasure and 'The Argonaut of the White Agony Creek' is fucking modern Shakespeare your kiddie brain is too small to understand," Ahti Jalopeura growled, leaning in closer till he was almost ready to headbutt Prushka. "You might still be in the age where you read about musclemen in spandex and drool over them, but believe me - some of us got over it already."

Suddenly, there was a dangerous flash in that blue eye.

"We like actual stories instead of your American trash."

Then.

Without a warning.

The young man pulled back and brought his freed hand forward...!

FUMPH!

And threw a moldy pillow straight at Prushka's unguarded face!
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; August 10th, 2020 at 06:57 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

FUMPH!

It's a knockout.

My field of vision is, once more, filled with white, with me unable to lift a finger to stop it.

"Waaaa-!"

I try to lean away, to dodge the projectile, but it's too fast. All my efforts do is send me over the edge of the bed.

CRASH!

"Owowow..."

The wood creaks and groans beneath me. The pillow rests on my face, smelling damp and acrid. My helmet may have shielded my head... but not my pride.

Is this it? Is this as far as I go? Is this all I will ever amount to?

Defeated, by Pyry's evil, even dumber twin?

...no.

No, it won't end like this! I won't let it!

"...American trash...?"

I rise, reach for the edge of the bed, and pull myself back onto my feet. My hand finds the pillow, pulls it off my face, and...

"Don Rosa's from Kentucky, you doofus!"

FU-FHOOM!

Flings it right back at him!

"And Carl Barks lives in California! And what even is 'The Argonaut of the White Agony Creek'!? The last Scrooge McDuck comic to come out stateside was... was...!"

Oh. Oh no.

"Was-aaaaaaachoo!"

A sneeze rocks through my body so hard it feels like my brain is shaking.

What... just what was growing in that pillow? Just how long was it sitting there, unwashed?

No, that doesn't matter now. There's a more immediate problem.

"Ah... oh do... dissue... need a dissue..."

With a big green rope of snot hanging precariously from my nose, I stumble towards Ahti, reaching for the nearest thing to use to wipe it off...

What the heck is even going on? As I think about it, stumbling around with tears in my eyes and snot dripping from my nose... I can't help but laugh at the ridiculousness of it all. A laugh that shakes everything, making it even harder to grab onto whatever is going to help.

"Ha ha... ha ha ha... Ahdi... you're sudj a goof..."
    Last edited by Bloble; August 10th, 2020 at 07:39 PM.

A break-in at the Hospital yesterday, hm? And it seems that our Miss Bianchi is affiliated with some Big Pharma-type people.

Now, was that connected to her escape, and did that happen last time, hence the pursuit? Possible, but I doubted, given the mention prior of a ruckus on the last, last evening.

The latter didn't seem like anything too pertinent, something to remember and keep in mind, of course. This place being the way it was, any small detail should be hoarded like gold.

But the former certainly sounded familiar.

Looks like someone's little escapade didn't go unnoticed, Feds noticed, and are around, or at least one is.

Interesting, now that, at least, is something that's not the same, Jo's going whole hog on the small-town cop thing, don't think she'd pass up a chance to complain about Feds hanging around.

They're a bit obvious, if you get my meaning.

Subaru made an urgent-looking gesture at me, and I nodded, shifting my weight gently.

I hummed quietly, gently easing my posture back from the door, they'd finished up with their messing around, but we were pushing our luck hanging around like this. Probably time to vamoose, quick-like.

Now, carefully, one foot in front of the other, I know I'm no good at the sneaky-sneak type stuff, but surely, we can just quietly ghost out the same way we got in.

Certainly.

Just think quiet, inconspicuous noises...

Elise Pelltier
    Date: 08.09.1994

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille Faraday
    “It’s not a problem, but… We really can’t dawdle, Elise. Class is still happening, whether we like it or not.”
    Elise nodded and apologized, “Sorry about that, I kinda got taken by surprise there, but I've got it sorted it out now."

I have absolutely nothing sorted out at all, and, in fact, I think everything is actually less sorted than it was before.

"I'll tell you all about it later!" promised Elise.

You'll probably want to know that the demon sniffed out the reasons why you're a Saint now.

A dusty looking Ms. Popplewell emerged from behind the counter with a book which she slammed onto the counter top. Elise peered over to get a better view of the cover, confirming that the book was what she thought it was. Sure enough, the dusty tome sitting on the counter was Remmie's book: End of the Road - Guide to the town of Road's End and its History.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Popplewell
    "And what about you? What can I get for you, love?"
    “Oh! I'd love a copy of that book too! It sounds wonderful! I'm sorry that it didn't sell better...” began Elise as she watched John reached out, picked up the book from the counter and began leafing through it.

I'm sorry it didn't sell better... and for other things, Remmie.

“I-I also heard that you've got other books in stock and I was hoping to check those out... and, uhm, well, I was hoping to send some letters back home soon. I could really use some envelopes, and if you've got some stamps, if I could just get a whole sheet of them, that'd be great!"

"Uhm, I was also wondering, how-how long does it take for local mail to arrive?" asked Elise before leaning over toward Ms. Popplewell and continuing in a hushed tone, "I'd like to send a letter to another student, and I'd like to know how long that'd take. Back home all of our local mail got sent to Ottawa for sorting, and then came back, so it'd take a week or so for it to arrive even if it was just next door..."

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday
    Date: 08.09.1994 (WED)

“Ah. If there's more copies, then I’d love to get one of my own.”

Lucille watches as John fiddles with the book. She’s content to let him have this copy—but either way, she’s getting one of her own. But that can wait, so she stuffs the stationery and envelops into a bag and begins perusing the rest of Miss Popplewell’s wares. Medical supplies probably seemed excessive, but it never hurt to be prepared. No, more than that, Lucille Faraday had a sudden understanding.

Naturally, all of the money in her pocket is useless if she does not spend it. Originally, she envisioned having a longer timeframe, or even the ever-distant possibility of going to Seattle and spending it, but now she is for certain that she will spend the end of this week in Road’s End. And without the ever-watchful eye of Sakura Tsukioka, she is free to spend on whatever she wishes.

Moving over to the sweets, Lucille slowly, but surely undergoes the realization she has no idea what half of these things are. Even at those times where she braved European convenience stores, she only bought practical things to eat. And thus, there is only one solution she has in mind.

With a sigh, Lucille begins taking one of everything.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Tris smiled a bit at Colt's words.

"That wouldst truly be'eth quite something," she said, walking over to the motorcycle. "Though, whatever the compass pointedst towards... I wouldst imagine it wouldst be quite important. After all, why else grant thee a compass in the first place."

With that, the girl (somewhat awkwardly) straddled the bike and got behind Colt. After a bit of more awkward shuffling around, she seemed to realize just what it was that was expected of her, so she wrapped her arms around Colt's midsection so she wouldn't fall off, and lifted her legs up a bit so they wouldn't hit the ground.

It was at that very moment that Colt Davin was introduced to a wholly new sensation.

Large softness.

... Truly, this may have been a wise choice when it came to a vehicle.

"I art ready!" Tris announced from behind Colt's shoulder. "Let us be off!"

And so, once again, Colt turned to truancy instead of heading to the lessons...

[SCENE END /// Move to NEXT Phase!]

Colt Davin: Friendship Rank Raised!

Elise Pelltier, Lucille Faraday & John Dove

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “Huh. Déjŕ vu. Ever since I set foot in this store, I can’t get rid of this feeling of déjŕ vu. Most unusual.”
    Sue Popplewell gave John a bit of an odd, confused look at his words, pausing her attempts to dig up more stationery for Elise to browse along with Lucille. However, soon enough that expression melted into yet another smile, one that almost looked like the older woman was flattered - or that she found some sort of compliment or praise in what the boy had said.

"Well, you know how it is! Lots of small town stores like this around this great land of ours," Sue said, completely disregarding the fact that there was probably not 'small town store' as British as this anywhere else in the States. "In the end, they all rather blend together. Though..."

She winked at John mischievously, almost in a conspiratory way.

"Perhaps you have been here before? Maybe in another life? Or a mysterious past that you've not forgotten and are now trying to reclaim?" the shop-owner asked, grinning slightly. "Maybe in your previous life, you were a resident of this town! And now those memories from beyond your flesh are calling out to you, which is why you've come back here at last to uncover a mystery from your forgotten past...!"

A well-placed, dramatic pause.

Followed by Sue's enthusiasm deflating a bit, ending in a giggle.

"... Or something like that. Would make for a good book, wouldn't it?" She asked. "I admit, I've always had a soft spot for strange mysteries... though I suppose you can chalk that up to my cultural heritage."

Like many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “Ah. If there's more copies, then I’d love to get one of my own.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    “Oh! I'd love a copy of that book too! It sounds wonderful! I'm sorry that it didn't sell better...”
    Sue's eyes were practically shining when she heard this, and she hurried into the back room. When she emerged from it, she was carrying three new copies of the book, all looking like they had come fresh off the original box they had been shipped in. Nimbly the owner of the store set one in front of each of her three potential customers, and gave them an encouraging not.

"Well, no worries, love! As long as there's someone who wants one and finds it useful, I'm sure Remmie will be more than happy!" Sue exclaimed. "Why, she might have even written the book for a situation like this - when youngsters like you arrived to this town, and were unsure just where they had ended up in! Remmie was always awfully perceptive, after all, so she might have seen this happening in the future, aha~"

While she talked, Sue worked with her hands, arranging a bundle of envelopes, stationery and a sheet of stamps for Elise.

However, when the girl leaned in to talk in a bit of a more hushed voice, she rubbed her chin and blinked, somewhat confused by the question.

"Uhm, I was also wondering, how-how long does it take for local mail to arrive? I'd like to send a letter to another student, and I'd like to know how long that'd take. Back home all of our local mail got sent to Ottawa for sorting, and then came back, so it'd take a week or so for it to arrive even if it was just next door..."
    "Well, that depends a little, love. See, out here I'm more or less the local judge, jury and execu... ehm, mail-lady when it comes to post," Sue laughed a bit sheepishly and scratched her cheek. "If it's non-local mail, they're sent to Seattle as usual for processing, but if it's something that's just inside the town, I usually just sort it here and arrange it for my boys to take out. No need to send it out to the sorting facility in a town this small. And with how much free time I have here, I usually just handle the sorting myself... or have Zane to help me. Oh, right, Zane is one of my leading carrier boys. That guy can be trusted with just about anything~"

The fondness in Sue's smile was like a mother talking about the son they were proud of.

"So in most cases of local mail, it'll be at the recipient during the next morning! My boys are pretty good and efficient at what they do!"

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I gave Subaru an enthusiastic thumbs up and winked at her, as she clearly understood that interesting things such as this were something to be investigated, not ignored! Peeking over the edge of our hiding spot, I jolted my head back in and held my breath so tightly my cheeks bulged out. I had to hide my presence as immaculately as possible if I wanted to hear more secrets.

Wait a minute.

I watched with a slow looming horror as Elaine began to leave. Was this the end of our bosom friendship? While heartbreakingly short, I am used to such minor indulgences in my own intricacies. I am not a person who is beloved, so much as I am despised. It is a miserable position to be in, but I am not against it on principle. In fact, my my Elaine... How respectable. Truly a dangerous maneuver, to attempt to abandon me in my time of need. A most impressive maneuver.

I gave her a thumbs up with glittering eyes as well.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries

In the end, it was hard to say which one was it.

Was it the fact that Elaine's sneakers had squeaked a little against the corridor floor?

Was it the fact that Alexstrasza, in her attempt to hold her breath as much as she could, inhaled extremely loudly?

Was it the little yelp that Subaru gave when she realized one of them was leaving, and the other one was intent on staying?

--- It was hard to say.

And in that same sense, it was impossible to blame any one individual as to what happened next. The time for finger-point would probably come later. Or perhaps paw-pointing, because at that very moment, Tonkori buried her face in her paws, apparently realizing that the moment was lost already and they had lost the advantage they had. In other words, while they had hesitated, while they had been unsure as to what to do...

... The conversation in the pool room proper had died out like somebody had cut it with a knife.

This was followed by the sound of running steps against the pool floor, someone grabbing a hold of the handles of the metal doors that lead into the corridor, and throwing them open with so much force they almost squashed Subaru.

What the trio saw afterwards, well... it was not a surprising sight.

After all, it was the sight of Travis Gagnon, standing in the doorway, fuming and looking like he was ready to choke them one by one.

Those narrowed eyes were glaring daggers the size of broadswords.

And his breathing sounded ragged, like he was hovering somewhere between a panic-attack and fury.

"................. What the hell are you three yahoos doing here?" Travis growled.

Hm.

Well.

This was certainly a situation.

If we were at all planning to work together in the future, we should probably work on communication.

But in any case: Dealing with this.

As the doors slammed open behind me, I allowed myself to flinch, craning my head back over my shoulder with a chagrined expression, facing down the thunderous emotions of Travis Gagnon with a distinct air of genuine embarrassment.

I shuffled back around, cultivating the air of someone who is realizing their little excursion may have caused a fair amount of trouble despite truly well-intentioned actions. Something I was deeply familiar with, given my past activities.

"Was just thinkin' I'd come and pick your brain about the thing, y'know? Hwan said you were hangin' out around here, and Little Miss can't get pried away from 'er food right now... So, wanted to see if you wanted to come down and join the posse." I folded my arms, letting my accent bleed out as it did when I was stressed.

"Ol' Zaza here's a friend from a while ago," I elaborated, conjuring reasons for the other presences, "Thought we'd catch up a bit on the way over, and then Miss Subaru and Miss Tonkori over here were on the hunt for something weird, so I got a bit side-tracked, trying to help them out." I grimaced, "I was just headin' on back to the chow hall, cause it seemed like you were in the middle of something personal that wasn't any of my business."

I allowed an embarrassed smile to creep out, "Sorry if I freaked ya out there."

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

“Hmm…”

John regards the shopkeeper with a small smile. It makes him look tired rather than anything else.

“I assume you are joking, but you might be on to something, Miss Popplewell,” he muses. “It is true I do not remember anything before…” That night. “…a certain age. For all I know, maybe I was a resident of Road’s End at some point. But I am not particularly obsessed with remembering my early childhood, so I will have to disappoint you on that regard.”

Still holding to the first copy of the book Miss Popplewell presented to them, John quickly looks for a table of contents. In the meantime, Elise Marie inquires on the town’s mail distribution system, obviously looking for hints on the package delivered to Alexstrasza. The question here is Miss Popplewell’s protocol for packages without sender information. Of course, for all we know, the package did not go through the proper pipeline. And she still needs to ask about their church colleague.

However, when he gets a cue like that one, he would a fool not to follow it. Even if, knowing what he knows about her, it might be rather disrespectful.

“This town…it does look like a place with such ‘strange mysteries’ as you put it. At least it gives that impression.”

His eyes shift between Sue Popplewell, Lucille Faraday’s alley roaming, and the book in his hands, while pointedly avoiding the nondescript, label-less, seagull-flavored candy.

Blog Entries

I let out an exaggerated gasp as Travis opened the door, my eyes going wide as I covered my mouth with both hands. I had been caught before, but I suspect the threats of vicious bodily harm would not help me in this scenario, unlike prior ones. After all, the people here are not as...

Hm. Sturdy, I suppose, would be a good word to use to describe it.

In their unsturdiness, they are surprisingly fleshy and easily harmed. As such, I cannot simply cry out "amnesia attack", and use my elaborate sorcery to threaten them into horrified silence through terror and danger.

"I am investigating mysteries!" I said, throwing up a V for victory. "Elaine was kind enough to invite me along. Are you not curious about this school, Mister Gagnon? Who knows how many interesting mysteries there are here!"

I nodded, folding my arms with closed eyes.

"With so many things to uncover, we're going to need some top notch muscle to solve them. Or perhaps some hounds of war. Or even a creature of the night! It's going to be terribly exciting, I assure you!"

I smiled brightly at him, opening my eyes as they danced with twinkles of light in them.

"Do you want to come too?"

After all, one must keep their friends close, but their enemies even closer. While I may not know Miss Bianchi very well, I know her more then well enough to assume she is not a person who deserves to be harmed for existing. Nobody does, in the end.

Except, of course, for me. But that's only natural, right? What am I, in the end, but a monster?
    Last edited by Frantic Author; August 11th, 2020 at 03:35 PM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Elise Pelltier

Elise grinned excitedly as she received her own copy of End of the Road. It was brand new, pristine even. It had likely only been spared the dusty fate of the copy Sue had pulled out from under the counter by virtue of still being sealed in the box that had come from the publisher's.

I can't complain about the condition, but I can't imagine a sadder fate for a book than never being read.

Ms. Popplewell sorted out a pile of envelopes, stationary and the requested sheet of stamps for her. Elise frowned momentarily on seeing the sheet of stamps. It look not at all unlike the sheet of red, white, and blue American stamps that had been stapled to the side of a certain package Alexstrasza Lockhart had received the previous morning.

Those stamps are a match for the ones on Alexstrasza's package, but they're also pretty generic American postage stamps. Those stamps could've come from the End's Store and Post, but they could've also easily come from somewhere in Seattle or Buffalo, so it's hardly conclusive. Still, considering that tape's presumed contents, it seems pretty likely that whoever sent that package came here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Popplewell
    "Well, that depends a little, love. See, out here I'm more or less the local judge, jury and execu... ehm, mail-lady when it comes to post. If it's non-local mail, they're sent to Seattle as usual for processing, but if it's something that's just inside the town, I usually just sort it here and arrange it for my boys to take out. No need to send it out to the sorting facility in a town this small. And with how much free time I have here, I usually just handle the sorting myself... or have Zane to help me. Oh, right, Zane is one of my leading carrier boys. That guy can be trusted with just about anything~"

"So in most cases of local mail, it'll be at the recipient during the next morning! My boys are pretty good and efficient at what they do!
    "Oh! We met Zane earlier today, on our way here. He looked like he was a little gruff at first, but he was really friendly and nice once we got to talk to him."

So whoever sent the package must have been here on Tuesday then, for it to have arrived at Pinefall on Wednesday morning... considered Elise, How could the tape move through time though? Our bodies didn't move through time, only our souls and memories. Is there someone else here who can move through time physically, and brought the tape with them? Or maybe there's some way to record memories onto video tape? That doesn't sound like an implausible power. If they traveled back in time in the same manner we did, that would be the most reasonable answer, I suppose.

I think this is about as far as I can get on this one... thought Elise, feeling a brief surge of frustration, Not without asking about the package itself, and I can hardly ask Ms. Popplewell about someone else's mail, can I? Unless...

For a moment, a terrible idea of impersonating Alexstrasza Lockhart passed through Elise's mind but was instantly discarded.

I might not have introduced myself to Ms. Popplewell yet, but Lucille has said my name, and I'm not going to lie to Ms. Popplewell. Nevermind in front of Lucille. Besides, I have other questions to ask.

"It sounds like your boys have things well under control, but could you use any more carriers?" asked Elise, "I-I always thought being a mail carrier might be kinda fun, and helping to deliver the mail sounds like a great way to get to know Road's End a bit better."

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    “This town…it does look like a place with such ‘strange mysteries’ as you put it. At least it gives that impression.”
    Elise nodded in agreement with John's statement, "Every small town has a few good mysteries."

She glanced towards the shelves where the books and comics were. John's statement about the town's strange mysteries seemed like an excellent opportunity to get retrieve her copy of a certain book that had been stolen from her by time, but... she did have one last question for Ms. Popplewell. She drummed her fingers on the counter for a moment, and then asked.

"Uhm, I was told that a friend of my family was in Washington State, and that he was going to stop by Road's End to see me, but I haven't heard from him yet. We've only been here for a few days, but I'm worried I might've missed him. I thought he might've stopped by your store if he was here though. Have you seen a Mr. Rustfield, by any chance? Uh, Devon Rustfield."

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

The brisk movement from Ahti triggered a certain reaction from Vivienne... there was no change to her emotional display since there couldn't be any in the first place, but her body slumped lightly as her hands went into her coat's pockets, looking for something to grab...

... she stayed in that position for a while, eyeing Ahti with care. She may have gone further had the item thrown at Prushka not been a moldy pillow, but even then -- wasn't it rather rude and unpleasant to have a moldy pillow thrown at you? Where had that even been, just lying here in this cabin and gathering humidity? Additionally, did he sit on it and dirty it? It must've been smelly.

Not a very hygienically pleasant experience at any rate. Should he be punished for this misdemeanor? No, that would be of no benefit, and may even start up a needless fight. Chastising him would lead to nothing, simply sitting back and letting Prushka do the talking seemed to be working so far, so why change how things were going?

Though now... oh no, they are starting to engage into a pillow fight. The chances of Vivienne getting involved in this were quite high, if he randomly decided to have her partake too, so it was best that she prepared herself to duck, or maybe catch the pillow and simply throw it out of the window.

"Don't throw... smelly things around..." she commented to the duo, not wanting to have to lose time showering and changing clothes again.

There wasn't much else she could contribute, no? The current Vivienne could only emulate what the memories of the old one had, and she herself wasn't an avid comics reader, being a bit more traditionalist in her readings with classical texts and myths...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Ostentatious was the immediate word that popped to Anna's mind as she glanced at the complex in front of her.

She’d seen the like before. Estonia was littered with hundreds of such mansions after all, all built by the local German landed nobility, both dilapidated and immaculately maintained.

Ridiculously large complexes with their miniature parks and lakes and absolutely bloody garish flowery ornamentations. She hated them all. All built on the backs of others, slaves in all but name, who at the same time were living in their wooden huts eating nothing else but gruel. One might think that times had changed a bit from the 17th century, but…

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

In the end, deep down, she couldn’t share even Zane’s pride in, clearly his, handiwork in the gardens. It was expertly done, she could tell that much, but this place left too much of a bad taste in her mouth. Despite what one might think about Oceandrop, the man at least gave the impression of using his money for practical purposes. This? This was simply worthless posing and pissing away money that could be used for something actually worthwhile.

If circumstances were different, she’d be more than happy to blast that shitty replica Adonis statue into a thousand pieces of shattered marble.

However…

"--- Elliot Challenger."
    I can see why Zane doesn’t like him.

An older man with lilac hair, probably in his late twenties, dressed in a suit, yet appearing thoroughly unkempt. Almost akin to an office worker who’d just gotten out of the office, he’d unbuttoned the top and loosened his tie and was oozing out waves of what could only be called sleaziness. That in itself was probably already enough to put him on a bad footing with Zane. Despite the image he usually tried to portray, the red-haired boy was, in actuality, quite uptight, after all.

But no. The main reason was probably…

That small fox-like smile that was almost perpetually painted on his face. A smile that never seemed to truly reach his eyes, even as they gazed upon the two of them approaching from the distance.

“Morning.” Anna raised her hand in greeting towards the lilac-haired man neared the main gate, before letting out a small whistle as she looked at her surroundings. “I can see why the folks in the town talk about this place. It's definitely an eye-catching landmark to be sure.”

For better or for worse, that is.

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

At first, Zane seemed both surprised and shocked that Anna had, instead of hanging back, ventured forward to greet the man... but after a second of hesitating, he settled into step with the raven-haired girl, giving the man know as Elliot Challenger his own greeting - one that was hardly more than a grunt and a nod. While he wasn't good at hiding his distaste of the man (Zane's eyes were far too honest for that) at the same time he was able to cover up the hint of actual hostility that there had been when he had spoken of the two strangers.

Mr. Challenger on the other hand... his fox-like smile only widened as he saw and heard Anna's greeting.

And for some strange reason... and uncomfortable shiver passed through Anna.

Why?

What was this?

Almost at the edge of her memory, she could have sworn she felt something yet...

"Well, hello there."

--- No use. It slipped like water through fingers, and was already gone.

"They certainly do talk, Miss, yes. Though not often much in terms of good nor in quite kind words. Rather, I would say that this Country Club and it's gregarious host are often spoken in the same turn as the locals spit, yes," Elliot Challenger replied in a tone that sounded both amused yet cold - cold like dry ice. "Eye-catching can take to be meant as eye-soring, after all. Though for an impressionable youngster such as yourself, I'm glad that it's gained it's respect, yes. It's hardly fair that a local entrepreneur is so unfairly criticized."

He fished out a packet of cigarettes from the pocket jacket and lit them up with a heavy-duty lighter adorned with a picture of an eagle with its wings spread. As he took his first drag, the two youths could hear the sound of a car engine rumbling to life around the corner, and the slow sound of tires moving across the stone-paved road. Was someone bringing a car up front, for this man perhaps?

"Ah, but I'm missing my manners, yes. Challenger. Elliot Challenger. A tourist, if you will," the lilac-haired man said with that same tone and took a step forward, extending his hand towards Anna. "While I do have the luxury of having met our local handyman, you have me stumped miss. Though I'd venture a guess you are one of the new, much-talked about residents of this fair town, yes. An interesting idea, that school. I must say, I'm a big fan of Mr. Oceandrop, yes."

It was... weird.

This man felt normal.

Yet not.

He didn't exhude a sort of aura or pressure that a powerful Turnside entity would. No doubt he was someone who would have been torn apart by the likes of Gabriela Bahkauv, the Coastrise Siblings, a certain vampire or Anna herself - quite easily at that. No, he was clearly no danger in that sense. That much Anna could be sure of. Her instincts over the years had been honed enough.

Yet at the same time, those instincts whispered to her...

... Watch out for this one.

As the man waited for Anna to shake his hand, the rumbling of the car's engine got closer and indeed, soon enough a black vehicle with darkened windows rolled into the view. It was a rather fancy, new-fangled vehicle and must have been quite expensive. Yet while it itself was somewhat suspicious, something drew Zane's attention on it... and in turn, Anna's as well.

Those license plates...

... Were they ones of U.S. Air Force?

"Jesus fucking Christ..."

Travis let out an exasperated curse as he leaned against the doorway, rubbing his temples. It almost looked like a migraine was fast-approaching the boy, and he was doiong his best to mitigate it. The source, of course, was the trio right in front of him (plus one small dog)... though more specifically, if was the paler blonde who had just announced she was here to look for mysteries and had invited him along. The sigh that escaped the thug-like boy's lips was quite a magnificent one, to the point that he almost sounded like an old man.

Subaru, on the other hand, scooped Tonkori up from the floor into her arms and laughed sheepishly, a bullet of sweat running down her forehead.

"A-ah, yes... Tonkori caught a wind of a most mysterious scent and I was following her and... well, here I am," Subaru awkwardly explained. "W-we did not mean to eavesdrop, but we were unsure as to what was going on, and Miss Winters seemed to know you better and, ah, um..."

--- Oh boy.

This girl was clearly a terrible liar.

Even Travis snorted at what was being said.

"... Y'know what? Fuck it. Get your asses inside before the other morons see you," Travis grunted and gestured everyone to get on the other side of the door. "We can talk further inside."

Once everybody had piled into the pool hall, Travis took one more glance outside into the corridor before slamming the doors shut behind him. He then turned around, eyes narrowed at the trio that had caught his strange rendezvous away from the eyes of the rest of the class. However, Travis's suspicion did not seem to be shared by his partner-in-crime. The boy known as Noah pulled his scarf a little higher on his face, hiding most of it, and eyed up the three girls with more curiosity than suspicion. It was like the look of some sort of nocturnal animal that didn't exactly know what to make of the creatures in front of it.

"I don't got any time to solve some damn mysteries - there's enough to have our hands full already. So leave me outta your Nancy Drew adventures. This is more important than the Mystery of Disappearing Underwear," Travis said crudely at Alexstrasza, before turning his attention to Elaine. "As for the thing, yeah - I was gonna come find you once I was done here. Gotta get things done in order or it'll get complicated. It's just that... ugh..."

Travis scratched his head, frustrated.

"You didn't exactly freak me out, but I didn't exactly want people to know about this. Raises questions I don't wanna answer."

With another annoyed sigh, Travis turned towards the other boy and gestured vaguely at him.

"Anyways, this guy's the reason why your mutt caught a wind of some strange scent. You won't find a stranger doofus in all of Canada, I bet," Travis explained. "He's uh... my colleague, I guess."

The messy-haired boy nodded.

"--- Noah Whiteknife."

The boy in purple waved his oversized sleeves in response.

"Hello..." Noah murmured, before glancing over at his friend. "... It's a bit surprising, though Travis..."

A hint of an impish smile tugged at his lips.

"They're all girls..."

Travis, in response, stared at his friend like he had suckerpunched him.

New Person Met!

Prushka & Vivienne Bianchi

It was a rather surprising, yet not, sound.

The screech of a surprised cat that echoed from Ahti's mouth as the pillow hit him straight in the face.

At the same time, the young man flailed backwards, trying to catch his balance while avoiding ripping his stitches. It was not an easy task to do, and sure enough, after a bout of cursing Ahti hit the back wall with another grunt. The litany of foreign swear-words was somewhat interesting to listen to... but at the same time, it seemed that the young man's anger was rising again. Most likely it would soon explode again, violently, meaning that the argument was unavoidable. Unless... unless...

--- Unless there was something more urgent that Ahti had to focus on.

Say, a tiny girl with a huge looger of a snot approaching him, intending to wipe her nose on his white fur.

"Gaaahh, stay away you literal snot-nosed brat! Don't get that filthy thing near me! Even if I don't shower, I don't want to get touched by it!" Ahti growled, raising the pillow that had hit him in the face with his hand. "Wipe it on Scribbles or something! She's so frigid she wouldn't probably even mind it! Gaaah, no closer you Imp!"

In a way, it was an interesting sight.

After all, how many times did someone see a young man have his hair standing up like that of an angry cat's, with his ears flat against his head and his tail so bushy it might as well been used to dusting the filthy room that they were currently in. In addition to the low, guttural growl that echoed from him, which brought to mind a leopard or a tiger that was feeling threatened, it indeed was quite fascinating... especially when it all was caused by a tiny girl with a runny rose.

"Do I need to kick you!? I'm gonna kick you! I swear to Christ I'm gonna kick you!" Ahti protested, swinging his pillow around furiously, as if trying to swat at Prushka's head. "Scribbles, come on! Restrain her so we can wipe her nose with something other than my fur, or else she'll---"

And then...

... It happened.

Ahti, who had been swinging the pillow around like a flail, had directed his attention towards Vivienne... and at the same time, lost his concentration just for a half a second.

In other words.

He lost the grip on the pillow he was holding.

While having turned his body towards the quiet girl.

Which in turn meant that the pillow was now sailing with high speeds straight towards Vivienne's face, about to hit it squarely if she didn't react in time.

--- The whole world and time itself felt like they were grinding to a crawl, like a slow-motion movie.

And in that half a second, a look of horrified realization started dawning upon Ahti as he saw the trajectory of the accidental projectile he had released.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; August 12th, 2020 at 06:01 PM.

With a mixture of my own efforts and Miss Lockhart's own strangeness, coupled with the petite Subaru being completely terrible at lying, we seemed to have completely and utterly undercut what could have been a very uncomfortable situation.

Yay, teamwork?

Is it teamwork if none of you are working together, and are just kind of blundering in the same general direction?

I suppose if it works out, we can call it that.

With a mental shrug, I followed the blue-haired Canadian inside, getting a firmer look at his odd-scented friend, looking him over while I responded.

"I do know the feeling, show up looking for one thing and all of a sudden its like a bunch of puppies popping out of the ground like kudzu, all clamoring for my attention," I groused.

"Except they're not puppies, they're mysteries. Far less cuddly, I can assure you."

Shabbily dressed, two scarves, one pulled up over his face while he blinked at us, surveying with an owlish gaze.

And what was that smell lingering about him so? Speaking of mysteries.

I waved a bit at him, waggling my fingers as I did so, eyes lingering on Travis amusedly.

"Yep, just three,excuse me, four pretty girls," I smiled crookedly, "Turns out T-Dog here has some game after all."

I chortled a bit to myself, hands now nestling comfortably in my jacket pockets.

"Enchanté. Elaine Winters." I bobbed my head in friendly greeting, "Local snoop. Don't worry, I'm not a cop unless they're paying me."

I let that sit for a moment.

"They're not, by the way. Even if my wallet would gladly take anything."

I sighed, melodramatically. The life of a vagabond!

Blog Entries

I smiled brightly as I was introduced to Noah, saluting him seriously, as he was clearly a member of some form of agency. While I was not well versed in the ordinary world, I had heard an acronym from him. And if I had learned anything from my books it was this - all the important agencies have fancy acronyms. At least, for normal people. I suppose the world of sorcery is different, as it is more focused on names over letters. An interesting divide, that I think should be talked about more perhaps.

"I'd like to thank Mister Gagnon for inviting us inside," I began with a wan smile, "Even if he believes that the mysteries I investigate are simply the location of my underthings. Perhaps it is a suggestion?"

I glanced at him suspiciously.

"Hmm... I think I will check my drawers when I get back to my room. There may be some sort of pervert on the loose! How thrilling!"

In school, perversion was dealt with by the students. Alas, I was far too unfortunate to ever be involved in such things. My room, much to my shame, was never invaded by the saucier side of our student body. Terrible tragedy, really - the traps I'd had set on my shelves shot out spikes that pinned the thief to the ground until I released them. Even if they'd made me late to class a few times, I'd really wanted to see them in action!

Ahhh... Such a shame.

"But whatever are the two of you investigating? It certainly sounds... mysterious."

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Lucille appears from an aisle as she tunes in on the word “work,” a strange mix of medical supplies and sweets mixed into one bag while school supplies lay neatly in the other. Of course, while there are plenty of others things to pay attention to, such as the mysterious whereabouts of Devon Rustfield, she tunes in on work because Mister Pinkerton’s country club was a topic she supposed would be abandoned this week. On the other hand, mentioning the idea of working might make Miss Popplewell bring it up, so it’s worth a shot. And if this week is truly the end…

She might as well prepare for the future, right? Staring at the bandages in her bag, she wonders if she is looking at this all wrong. Perhaps her perspective is too accentuated on the negative. Maybe she could afford to assume that with all this knowledge she has at her disposal, things could turn out well for everyone?

With a sigh, she shakes her head. Probably not. Being overconfident is what leads to mistakes. She must assume the reasonably worst so that she can compensate.

Still, she asks anyway. Her collection of items probably seems weird as is, and maybe poking around would lead to some interesting tidbit.

“Speaking of work, is there anywhere to find it? Anyone around town in need of a helping hand?”

Blog Entries

Noah tilted his head a bit at Elaine, his arms awkwardly hanging half in the air with those over-sized sleeves flopping thanks to the momentum.

"... Better not pay you, then. I don't like cops," the lilac-haired boy murmured. "... I don't like mysteries either. I was never good at them. Or at Clue. That boardgame sucks. And I don't like puppies either. They're always drooling and kinda smelly..."

Looking rather aghast, Subaru snatched Tonkori up from the floor and glared at the boy, who didn't seem to have enough social skills to even realize he was being glared at. Instead a bit of a befuddled expression appeared on his face, mostly aimed at himself.

"... Thinking about it, I don't like a lot of things."

It certainly sounded like that.

Travis, on the other hand, was groaning into his hands when he heard Alexstrasza's questions.

"Uuuurgh... How the hell do you see some panty-thief as thrilling? Just on what sorta wavelength does that chesnut-sized brain operate on, huh?" He growled at the blonde, rolling his eyes in ire. "In the first place, why would anyone choose your underwear to rummage through! Ain't there much safer choices? Just one look at you and it's pretty damn obvious you're the type to hide knife under your clothes just on the off-chance you'll get to stab something! Seriously!"

The thug-like boy heaved another sigh... only for it to turn into another groan when Noah leaned a bit closer for yet another comment.

"... Underwear? Did you suggest looking for her underwear?" He asked from his colleague. "... Should I go get hers?

A loud sound echoed at the pool as Travis swatted Noah in the back of his head.

"No, goddammit! Can we get past the damn underwear already!? I don't care if they're grannypanties or see-through, they're not important!"

Looking like he was ready to bust a vein, Travis rubbed his temples again and took deep breaths to calm down.

And once he was ready...

"A-ny-ways. What we're investigating isn't really that important. I didn't expect to get far with it on the first week, anyways. The little brat is more important right now. What's up with her, how do we deal with it, the contents of that suitcase... the more I think about it, the more serious shit it starts to look like. That's not stuff you use to deal normal illnesses with," Travis continued, having regained some of his bearings. "What I wouldn't give for a proper fucking lab, and a proper fucking team... but I guess we'll have to make do with what we got."

He let his eyes roam in those who had gathered at the pool, stopping eventually at Alexstrasza and Elaine.

"So first things first - stop treating this like some Young Adult mystery novel," he said to paler girl, before glancing at the one with ponytail. "And you, stop preening at Noah. He ain't worth the effort. Trust me."

Hearing his name mentioned, Noah tilted his head again, shooting a confused glanced at Elaine.

Elise Pelltier, Lucille Faraday & John Dove

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Sue giggled a bit and nodded.

"Well, aren't all old, small towns like that, love? In an environment like this, stories take on a life of their own and superstition becomes real... or something like that! Why, we aren't that far away from rest of the famous mysteries of Washington either, right? There's the silver discs of Mount Rainier, the great airplane heist of 1971 and even the legend of Bigfoot! You know how people are," the owner said with a slightly impish smile. "Nothing better than a spooky story told around a campfire or while huddling near a fireplace on a dark autumn evening. Especially in a town like this with such a history. It easily makes the imagination play tricks on you."

In a sense, it might really have been natural for a small town to develop such mysteries around it. And even without taking Turnside into account, Road's End had plenty of strange events in its past that it was no wonder that folktales and urban legends had sprouted around them. In that sense, what Sue said only made sense, and she certainly didn't seem to think of them as anything more than that - mysteries and fancy tales to tell when the night got dark.

Of course, the trio in the store now had gotten a taste of the reality behind these tales... and found them to be much more real than they would have perhaps liked.

"Uhm, I was told that a friend of my family was in Washington State, and that he was going to stop by Road's End to see me, but I haven't heard from him yet. We've only been here for a few days, but I'm worried I might've missed him. I thought he might've stopped by your store if he was here though. Have you seen a Mr. Rustfield, by any chance? Uh, Devon Rustfield."
    Hearing that question, Sue's expression grew a bit more serious and she leaned back, putting a finger to her chin and descending into a momentary thought. She kept repeating the name "Devon" quietly to herself, searching through the archives of her memories, until...

"--- Oh!"

She snapped her fingers.

"I don't know about 'Rustfield', love, but there definitely was a man by the name of Devon that stopped by here not too long ago. A week or two, I think? Said he was a lorry driver and was delivering some stuff to, uh... maybe for the McLampets? He bought a compass and a map of the area though, said he wanted to do some hiking while taking a couple of days off in our town," Sue explained. "Found it a bit weird, I did, so that's why he stuck to memory. And because of that striking red jacket of his - made him look like the Red Riding Hood! Asked about other stuff too... like some hiking places such as the overlook, and even the old train yard - claimed he was a sucker for that type of stuff. Oh, yes, and then about Ramshack! I didn't know the news of the awful business at that place had spread outside of our town..."

Having said that, Sue put her hands on the table and gave Elise an encouraging nod.

"Now, if he's still in town, love, I bet he can be found at Owl's Nest. That's where all out-of-towners end up unless they have friends or family at Road's End... or a newly-furnished dormitory like you lot," she added. "I-I mean, he didn't seem like the type to enjoy the 'atmosphere' of the Country Club."

Sue rolled her eyes, as if even the mentioning that place had caused her to think of something that made her want to snort in mock-annoyance. For Lucille, it was pretty easy to guess why.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “Speaking of work, is there anywhere to find it? Anyone around town in need of a helping hand?
    Hearing that question seemed to surprise Sue a little bit, but eventually her smile returned.

"Oh, of course, love! Like I was about to mention a bit earlier, I could definitely use more carriers in here. And it's pretty easy job, so you can just help out when you can. If you know Zane then that's even better, since he's more or less responsible for organizing that stuff!" Sue answered, folding her arms. "Other than that... well, I know Owl's Nest needs people. Same with Spade Queen, I suppose, though... I don't know if that's the right type of work for teenagers."

The store-owner grimaced a little bit.

"Billie might need some help at the Big Boy's too, and Ranger Savage too... for latter you might want to go to the Sheriff's department and ask from there," she continued. "Lastly... well, there's our meals-on-wheels program that I organize, but nobody other than Old Beatrice really uses it anymore. Though I think helping with that would definitely lessen the load on poor Zane."
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; August 13th, 2020 at 06:21 PM.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

"..."

She had seen it coming, before it had even happened. Some may call it foresight, others divination, but the most common name for this ability was simply 'female intuition'. The pillow was headed for her face, thus simply leaning towards the side slightly was sufficient to avoid the stinky projectile from making contact.

Conveniently, behind Vivienne's head, was the window through which she and Prushka had come. Since its path had not been stopped, the bag of unsanitary filth thus continued flying, eventually going through the window and landing somewhere outside with a silent thud.

A good riddance, for sure.

But what were these two doing?

Earlier the air was filled with tension, one could say that was even killing intent... but now, it looked no different than two kids having a playful spat. The scene could have been pulled straight from the daily life of a brother and sister messing around at home after a little disagreement... and was that not the case too? They had just argued about comics earlier too.

To think that Vivienne had come here in case Prushka got herself in trouble -- by the looks of it, she wasn't even needed in the first place, save for perhaps helping with administering Hisa's medicine. Though... with how these two silly people were flailing around... said medicine as well as all the medical attention given to Ahti may just be undone.

It is a good thing that Vivienne always had a small pack of tissues on her alongside her handkerchief. You never know when you might need those. Random runny nose, accidental spillage of some food or liquid... a pack of tissues can make your life much easier in any situation. Alas... first, there were some 'corrections' that were required of Vivienne in regards to the current scenario playing out.

"..."

She wordlessly moved forwards, a classic performance from Vivienne Bianchi, her visage blank, her eyes betraying no emotion... but certainly, there was something she was thinking about as her eyes locked onto the wrestling bout between Ahti and Prushka.

"Stop."

Vivienne's hand quietly slips into Prushka's collar, tugging at it very lightly, as if gently suggesting what she would like her little friend to do... but even though it is a quiet, peaceful display, the combination with the emotionless voice as well as the idea that at any time more force could be exerted may at least make Prushka think twice and consider Vivienne's one uttered word...

...which wasn't only meant for Prushka by the looks of it, as Vivienne glared at Ahti with her empty eyes. No judgement, but no approval either... there was only a glare, which's meaning and purpose was left for the man to decipher. Perhaps though that what Vivienne said after could enlighten him:

"Flailing around too much... stitches will get undone..."

There was enough unsanitary things going on, it was best to stop here, before it all spiraled out of control. Before hard work and investment was wasted away, like dead leaves blown to the autumn wind.
    Last edited by Ayakashi; August 13th, 2020 at 06:41 PM.