Page 148 of 244 FirstFirst ... 4898138143146147148149150153158198 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Elise Pelltier
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)
    Weather: Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    “I will place my trust in you, and believe that the things you say are the things you believe I must know, and those you do not are things I do not need to know. However, allow me a piece of advice: if you truly have something you wish to keep hidden, please be more mindful of where you go at night, Elise Marie.”
    Elise's felt an initial wave of relief at John's seemingly positive, or at least not negative, possible entirely neutral, reaction to the revelation regarding her previously hidden allegiances. She felt a pang of regret as she surrendered the last few fragments of the illusion of being an ordinary high school student that she'd built for herself. It had been fun, while it lasted. Oh, it was shattered the moment she woke up abruptly on that couch in the common room on Sunday morning to Subaru's scream, but she'd clung to it, even as the demon, Hisa, and Lucille all tore away at the comfortable cloak of lies she'd woven around herself. John had been, in his own weird way, had been the last real part of that illusion, and now, he wasn't. All those thoughts, however, immediately evaporated as he offered his piece of advice.

Just what did John see? Uhg, it could've only be that. Maudit câlice de pourris! When did I start to get so sloppy? Chronologically, I hadn't even been here for a day before someone- No, no. I took a calculated risk and it paid off.

The ever growing sense of dread and embarrassment forming in the pit of her stomach was momentarily forgotten as John mentioned the name of Remington Hartly, and Elise's full attention snapped back to his summary of recent events he'd been part of.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    “I believe I have answered your questions, Elise Marie; hopefully to your satisfaction.”
    “Thank-thank you, John. Most satisfactory,” replied Elise, “And- and I'm sorry.”

Elise took a moment to digest everything that John had told her and Lucille. About the previous night that led to the end of the Test of Courage, the encounter with the Turnside merchant that led to her near-assassination by Ubon, the deaths of Ramia and Elaine, and John and Mercedes.

Should I tell him about Sakura? No. No I think he's already figured that one out himself.

“Remington Hartly is definitely the Remmie I was looking for. I was able to find a trophy with her name on it in the Pool Building, but I didn't get a good look at it on account of it being dark. Lucille learned a bunch more, but that's her story. Do you remember her age and the date of death, by any chance? That might be helpful.”

“As for that colourful atmospheric phenomenon you saw...” began Elise, with a heavy sigh and her eyes towards the horizon, “That would've been Hisa and I. We'd received a message from Pyry-”

That bluebird. Pyry's familiar who he'd sent back to Pinefall to call for help and/or warn people to stay away. Such a cheerful little creature. So lively as it unknowingly led them into a trap and to their doom. She'd held that bird's dried, desiccated, and long-dead corpse in her hands in the dream...

What an auspicious image.

“-he'd been badly hurt and needed help,” continued Elise, “Turns out he'd rushed off campus to try and save Prushka, but didn't-didn't get there in time. He killed the one who killed Prushka, but ended up badly injured in the process, so he retreated to the a clearing in the forest to recover where we'd found him. He was in rough shape, but stable. We patched him up and were just starting on our way out of the forest when the jaws of the trap snapped shut. Gradient suddenly vanished, and something... I guess it was like something warped time and just rewrote history. The Pyry we'd rescued was suddenly replaced with a different version of Pyry. Like... imagine a movie but you edit out one character, and replace them with another, but everything else is still the same. We're all acting like everything is fine and normal, all the while Pyry is screaming at us to leave him and run... By the time we could react, he'd completed his transformation into some sort of armoured colossus and caught us flat-footed. He punched me and I was barely able to block the blow....”

There was a slight twitch in Elise's left hand at the memory.

“I was left barely standing, and told Mercedes to run. I stood there, expecting Pyry to finish me off when Hisa managed to turn Pyry on the thing that set up the trap, but that didn't work out as it suddenly annihilated Pyry with some sort of laser barrage... I stumbled back to help Hisa when the thing that set the trap revealed itself. It had probably been there, invisible, the whole time. It wore a heavy blue cloak that looked like it was roughly stitched together and had various colour patches on it. It was just there, levitating through the forest... didn't even bother to wear shoes. It toyed with us for a bit. We tried to fight it, but well, neither Hisa or I were in any condition to fight at that time. Eventually I guess it just lost patience with us, and just annihilated us in a blast of all-consuming light. I'm pretty sure we got reduced to little more than radioactive dust after that.”

Elise sighed and closed her eyes for a moment. She shook her head and blinked a few times.

"I'd wondered what had happened to Mercedes after that. I wasn't sure if she'd had the chance to escape the blast radius or not..."

“I'm not sure I can make sense of any of those omens you heard, but I'll keep them in mind in case anything clicks. As for the Disembodied Man... all I know about him is what I learned from Jake... That he's a man who's not a man, who has the appearance of a dark silhouette. If you see him, you shouldn't look at him, because then he'll start following you until he catches up to you, then he'll spirit you away into the woods. I'm not sure how helpful that advice is.”

"Speaking of Jake... I seem to recall him mentioning that someone had made a mess in the storage locker at breakfast on Saturday. I wonder if that was connected to this 'Bambi Doubleday' if she's apparently camping out in the shed."

I just hope that shopping trip was worth Prushka's life...

“Anyway... I think it goes without saying, John, but if you're ever hurt, or someone's injured, I'm a pretty capable healer, so don't be afraid to look me up. Also, uhm... if you you lose something, or are looking for something, I've got a knack for finding lost items, and might be able to fish it up for you.”

With that, there was still one more matter to attend to. That mixture of shame and dread that sunk to the pit of her stomach.

“As-as for your, uhm, stroll about campus last night.... how-how much did you see?” asked Elise sheepishly.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

A man does not always have the luxury of choosing when he will die. Now may he choose how he will die. He may only choose to die with dignity or without it. Yet even that choice may be taken away.

Today, Colt Davin was deprived of choice. He had not chosen this horrible misunderstanding that was rooted in truth that was further rooted in misunderstanding.

"..."

Where to even start? No, certainly, he couldn't lie. He HAD stolen a few choice glances at those beautiful, voluminous, springy, ever distant yet painfully close breasts.

But he had been a gentleman about it. Never more than a fraction of a second, and he never went as far as imagining what it would be like to hold them. Especially not from behind. No, certainly not. Even now he was not imagining such a thing. Strange though she may be, Tris was his savior, the one he owed his life to! He would never...

"Well firstly, I would never stare overmuch, as like you said, it would be improper and ungentlemanly."

'Off to a good start, Colt! Not a lie yet!'

An angel seated on Colt's shoulder spoke those words encouragingly. Atop the opposite stood a tiny devil, smoking a cigar, and the devil nodded along. A puff of smoke left its lips as it began to speak with an evil hiss.

'Now tell her that you'd never steal so much as a peep of those tits without her consent.'

The angel nodded.

"And as I am a proper gentleman, I would never do such a thing without permission to do so, which you have not given."

'Now ask for permission to look at them.'

The devil's tobacco flavored words floated up to Colt's ear as a cloud of smoke, only to be blown away by the angel's wings.

'Dont listen to him, Colt! You're doing well! Tell her it's all a misundersta-'

BANG

A gunshot cracked the air. Singed feathers fell to the ground as the angel narrowly avoided the devil's shot. A sword that struck like lightning ran the devil through. Blood the scent of sulfur trickled down the length of the blade. Coughing and wheezing up blood, the devil faded into ash.

With a grim expression the angel sheathed its bloody blade. Eyes the same gold as the halo over the angel's head turned to Colt.

'Don't jump the gun. We can't ask for that as long as you have Sakura.'

Colt nodded at the angel. That was true!

"Hisa misunderstood, Tris. I'm not even sure where she got the idea that I'd want to speak to your breasts, I might not have any myself, but even I know they can't speak."

'That was good. You're doing well. Keep it up.'

A soft voice whispered to him.

"You see, I think what happened here, is that Hisa thinks that YOU, Tris, are the beautiful knightess with enlargened mammaries. But, y'see, Hisa is very shy! She didn't mean to say that out loud. And it must have embarrassed her to admit that she thought that way of you."

'Yeah, throw Hisa under the bus.'

A voice that, despite belonging to the angel, sounded quite devilish egged the boy on.

"So, see, Hisa likes Pyry! But she thinks you're pretty, especially your breasts, but she didn't want to say that in front of Pyry. So, so, so to prevent Pyry from getting jealous that Hisa has eyes for other people..."

'Oh Lord, how do we spin this?'

"... And since I'm such good friends with Hisa..."

'Colt?'

"I understood her mistake! And I gave her a look... A code! A signal! An excuse for her to blame me! So then she had an excuse to run off with Pyry, and now Pyry thinks, that you think, that I think a lot about your boobs."

'This isn't going to work."

"Does that make sense?"

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart & Elaine Winters
    Date: 08.09.1994 (WED)

"Alright, well, at least here we don't have to fight for food. So what say you guys we stop standing around here and actually get to that breakfast?"

Ramia asked this with a slightly amused grin and pointed her thumb at the food that was ready for the taking.

"I think I saw that mini-girl, Prushka, even sneak past us and wobble out with a tower of food, yet none of us noticed," she added with a chuckle. "I mean, we can continue talking while we eat, so why not do that?"

And that's exactly what the group did. After a fifteen minutes or so, everybody still missing their breakfast had gotten their trays filled up with the offerings this morning (which included waffles and seven different kinds of jam, courtesy of Mr. Oceandrop who had apparently been in a good mood for some reason) and now it was time to gather up again. As per Ramia's suggestion, instead of dividing up into their respective groups once more, few tables were pushed together and suddenly everybody found themselves in one large gathering - a breakfast club of sorts where those who rarely had dealings with each other suddenly found themselves in conversation.

Like how Gabi found himself talking with Cesarina about the intricacies of high-power telescopes used to gaze at stars.

Like how Subaru found herself talking with Kean about the use of hunting dogs, and what sort of training Tonkori had gone through even though she was still a puppy.

Like Hwan found himself talking with Ramia about what he would do if he won the lottery, and how much they both loved money.

It was a strange combination to be sure.

... Of course, there was also the fact that 17, or rather "Stephanie" had gotten strangely curious about Alexstrasza, and was now staring at her over the table, almost like she wanted to sneak even closer yet had just enough shyness left to do just that. And perhaps it was just the imagination of the older, blonde girl, but the child seemed to be awfully rudely staring at her mouth, or rather, her teeth...

And lastly, there was the case of Tonkori and Elaine.

With the former parking her rump on the table right in front of the latter, almost like she was about to lay a claim to the contents of Elaine's tray.

Yes, she was about to do exactly that.

--- She even had one of her paws raised, hovering it above the food.

"Oh, right, Winters," Ramia suddenly said, mouth full of fried egg. "You wanted to know about what I was looking?"

She chewed hard and gulped down the rest of the egg, before making a vague gesture with her fork.

"Err, it's this... how do I put it... bracelet-style thingie? Looks pretty darn old, more of something that should be in a museum. Got these little chains that connect the parts together, along with old runes and what-not," Ramia explained. "I got it in good authority that the thing should be somewhere in Road's End - strange I know - so part of my reason to coming here is looking for that."

She chuckled a bit, but it sounded somewhat dry.

"It's nothing serious or anything, but just something that's better off the streets or from the hands of someone who doesn't know what they got," she explained. "You know how it goes."

Vier Wolff & Liana Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Liana
    "Although if you're saying it's strangely persistent... How often does it show up in the town history? Does Road's End have a history of unfortunate events? Fires? Missing fishermen? Or what was it... The McLampet Family? Heard about them in passing a few times last night... They were apparently ill-fated?"
    "That would be missing woodsmen... or rather, those who worked for the saw mill," Nora answered Liana's question. "Many have gone missing over the years after they closed down the McLampet Mill, to the point you can find their graves set up in a particular way at the graveyard. And aboot the family that runs the town, well... yes. They have been as ill-fated as this town. One could even say that their fate has been the the fate of this town. Though for that, you would have to talk to those who know the local gossip better than I do."

She smiled somewhat wryly and patted the bookshelf next to her.

"I am here just for these, not that much for human interaction."

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “...Actually weren’t you reading a section on that when we first got to the library? I get the feeling we’ll get the answer if you continue reading that book… But it sounds ominous regardless.”
    That seemed to make Nora realize something, as her eyes lit up and she snapped her fingers.

"Ah yes. You're talking aboot this book?" the tall girl asked, handing the leather-bound journal to the duo. "Well, it's more of a hand-written journal than an actual book, but it certainly has some interesting stuff."

She nodded towards it, folding her arms and waiting for the girls to read the passage that had been marked with a bookmark.

"Take a look."

And the journal itself read something interesting alright. A familiar piece of text for Vier, but completely new for Liana...

The Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown Author
    "The Disembodied Man (Klallam: ʔáwə swə́y̕qaʔ ʔən̕sʔəcɬtáyŋxʷ - Literally: 'No-Body-Man') is an old folk-tale of Road's End, Washington that has been around for centuries at the very least. The earliest recording of it can be traced back to an oral tale that, apparently, originates from around 1795, when a group of European fur-traders met with members of the Klallam tribe around Puget Sound. As the two groups made camp for the night, the Klallam hunters recited a tale of a local spirit, the No-Body-Man who preyed upon travelers in the not-too-distant forest that would be later known as the Ghostwood National Forest. It is possible that the name comes from this very same tale.

Ironically enough these fur traders would end up missing during their travels, a fact that was found out by the Lewis and Clark expedition some years later. The expedition met the very same members of the Klallam tribe who told that, despite their warnings, the fur traders had moved straight to west, passing by Ghostwood forest and disappearing into it. The hunters were adamant that the No-Body-Man had taken them, spiriting them away since they were strangers in this land. From here we can see the possible function of this folktale: The No-Body-Man, and later The Disembodied Man is a spirit that preys on strangers or unknown people to the land, or those that have disrespected it, becoming thus an explanation for those who travel out of the region or become lost as they don't know the paths and roads... or simply end up killed by locals who see them as a threat.

Whatever the case, the mentions of the No-Body-Man appeared every now and then during the 1800s, mostly as a boogeyman with which the encroaching westerners were threatened with. Just like any local legends, those who already lived there believed in it, and passed it on to anyone moving to the area, who then passed it on to their descendants and those who came later. It would be no different legend from, say, a wendigo or a Sasquatch, were it not for the more recent 'sightings'. Two sightings in particular, one in 1947 and one in 1971, became the talk of the town. In both cases the locals claimed that the whole town had had nightmares for weeks before it, often dreaming of a starless or a red sky. Then, not long after, local witnesses would claim they had seen a silhouette of a human or a man in a black suit standing in the shadows of the forest, glaring at the town with hatred in their eyes. An amateur photographer at the area during 1971 managed to take a picture of this alleged being, but all it shows is a distant figure in the woods, and could have been easily faked.

The interesting thing about this is the persistence of the legend and how it ties to the misfortunes of the town itself. After all, it was not long after 1947 sighting that Howard McLampet, the patriarch of the ill-fated McLampet family, acquired the logging rights of the Ghostwood National Forest and built the McLampet saw mill. Back then some people said that this would be the death of the Ghostwood Forest, and a song was created out of an old poem centered around the mythical spirit. Ironically enough this song would become topical again as in 1971, the eldest son of the McLampet family would disappear from the town, claiming someone was out to kill him. This happened right after the major sighting in question was made. Only ten years later, in 1981, The Man was said to have been sighted outside the old McLampet Estate - a sign of the misfortunes that continued to befall the family. Once again, the old song was brought to life, warning how The Man sought out those who were far from home. This time it was the disappearance of the youngest, and last, McLampet sibling. Again and again, the legend of the Disembodied Man has resurfaced just before major disappearances in the town. The only time this did not seem to happen was when Howard McLampet himself died in 1962. But who truly knows? The locals have a habit of blaming especially odd or mysterious death on The Man, too."

Colt Davin

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    Does that make sense?"
    Tris blinked, both flustered and utterly confused now. One could practically see the gears in her head grinding away as she started processing what Colt had just told her, trying to analyze the obvious lie of a story and swallowing it as truth all the same. It showed in the girls eyes that she was far too naive to ever doubt anyone, so Colt's story had gone down hook, like, sinker and pulled the fishing rod in for good measure.

"I-I see... that must certainly hath been troublingeth for the fair maiden. T'was a hasty retreat she made... so the truth art that she felteth physical attraction towards me and mine, yet she art shy and befuddled about it... truly a troubling situationeth for her," Tris mumbled quietly, putting the pieces together in her own way. "Especially since t'was her manservant that was with her, witnessingeth it all... aye, she must hath been truly in a bind...!"

Suddenly, Tris's hand was clenched into a fist.

A fire lit up in her eyes.

And spinning around on her heels, the knightess faced Colt.

"Very well! When next we meet, I shalt announceth to her that she hath no reason to fear mine physical form, no matter her feelings!" Tris proclaimed loudly... very loudly. "After all, 'tis in the first place that I felteth naught towards the same sex - only towards the bold physical forms of gentlemen and the swords they carrieth! So yes - I shalt forgive her, and apologizeth to her, come next we meet!"

Oh boy.

This might have turned into a landmine aimed squarely at Hisa's path.

"Still... thou art truly a gentleman and a good friend, Colt," Tris then said, warmth appearing in her voice as she gazed at the boy. "To thinketh thou tooketh such a heavy moral blow for thy friend... I art truly impressed by thee. You covered for her, and tried to help her to stayeth at the chaste path... what nobility of thee!"

With a brisk walk, Tris reached Colt and slammed her hand on his shoulder, gripping it tightly.

And now...

... They were closer than ever before.

"'Tis a joy to see a man in this modern age who understandeth the value of staying loyal to your heart's chosen!" Tris proclaimed. "Thou art unlike those modern youths who flitteth about, chasing after any attractive person they gazeth upon. Indeed, unlike them, thou even tried to make your friend, the fair maiden, to realizeth the value of this world-view!"

She was grinning, proudly, from ear to ear now.

"I art truly glad I met a noble man such as thee!"

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

As they go on their long spiels, she understands what happened to the others a lot better that fateful day. But to be perfectly honest, she has no desire to recollect that Sunday anymore. Subaru’s haunting gaze and hatred is etched into her mind, unable to be excised. And more importantly, they have not asked, so she does not want to willingly go at length to talk about how she pointlessly killed and pointlessly died.

“Before John talks about what he saw last night, I can just say what happened first,” Lucille says, forcefully interjecting. Whatever John saw is probably related to what she saw, and in the end she ultimately has all the pieces for why Prushka acted the way she did. Not that it was helpful.

“Ubon and I went to the outbuilding as you both know. After making sure she was fine to continue, we went inside, finding a collection of the school’s old yearbooks, which might be worth looking at. Ubon is currently in possession of one for Pinefall’s last class. On our way back, one of the owl costumes apparently moved from out of all that junk and decided to block our way, before fleeing when we took chase. Eventually it moved out of sight and its tracks ended, so I can only assume it could somehow fly…?”

All in all, a relatively harmless experience. At least, less painful than what resumed when she came back.

“As for what happened after, the big fight, Prushka’s room was broken into yesterday morning. Someone tried entering the barricaded section of the womens’ dorms, but only broke off a plank before escaping through Prushka’s window. Elaine, Colt, Sakura, and I were all witness to that. I went to go tell her, naturally, so you can say she had a bit more vested interest to explore than normal, on top of her judgment of Hisa’s motivations.” Lucille recounts this morning’s events with a serious tone. “But ultimately, her behavior was motivated by spite, so it’s pointless to talk about.”

“Anyway, John, before you continue, there’s no need to apologize. It appears I’m the one who got closest to getting Mercedes killed that day,” she says with a bitter smile. “And all of it is water under the bridge now. It’s still preventable.”

She does not comment on Sakura. She knows she should, but she wants to hear about last night first. And ultimately…

She doesn’t want to hear about how she can’t protect the person closest to her.
    Last edited by Katie; July 30th, 2020 at 06:08 PM.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Date: 08.09.1994

Quote Originally Posted by Elise Marie Pelltier
    “Thank-thank you, John. Most satisfactory. And- and I'm sorry.”
    “Do not apologize without reason,” he scolds curtly and calmly. Indeed, Elise Marie Pelltier has not done anything to him. Yet.

“Remington Hartly is definitely the Remmie I was looking for. I was able to find a trophy with her name on it in the Pool Building, but I didn't get a good look at it on account of it being dark. Lucille learned a bunch more, but that's her story. Do you remember her age and the date of death, by any chance? That might be helpful.”
    “The tombstone unfortunately does not give exact dates, only that she was born on 1971 and passed away on 1987.”

Elise then provides her narration of her side of Sunday’s events. A violent, surreal story that uses words that normally would not appear anywhere than in objectively mediocre fantasy or sci-fi plots: ‘warped time’, ‘rewritten history’, ‘transformation’, ‘laser barrage’, ‘levitation’, ‘blast of all-consuming light’, ‘radioactive dust’.

Seriously, what the hell did he just listen to?

Well, it does not matter in the end. He will accept everything. What matters is that he now knows how Prushka, Pyry, Momoi, and Elise Marie died on that Sunday. He has also learned that there is an additional, unknown threat that killed Prushka, and yet another one that wields powers connected to light and nuclear energy. It would be hard to believe such power would be connected to a certain ancestry or to being an actual magical creature like Ramalsaqr. Would that be ceremonial magic based on a modern foundation, then? Or perhaps something like ESP? Well, he would have to see it to dissect it properly.

“I'm not sure I can make sense of any of those omens you heard, but I'll keep them in mind in case anything clicks. As for the Disembodied Man…
    “No, I would say I know very well to be wary of the Disembodied Man by now. As for the ‘woman with the eyepatch’, her name is Dot F. Loonwaters: the one lurking in the woods around the clearing where we encounter Muse.”

The one “Agent John Dove” searched across the country, apparently. While John is working under the assumption that, indeed, he traveled forward in time, he does not reject the possibility that the whole scene was an extremely elaborate staging, perhaps involving even supernatural illusion. Why anybody would want to subject him to such an extreme attempt at deception, however, is anyone’s guess.

“However, I do not know if there is a connection between Loonwaters and the Disembodied Man. In fact, it is not a possibility I had considered before I talked with Prushka last night. As to ‘a drug that forces you to see the truth’, I cannot comment. I am aware Cesarina Feroce is under some sort of medication regime, and I would not be surprised to learn she is not the only one. Aside from that, I have no idea. Same about ‘the man who died’. Plenty of people have died or disappeared around here, foremost among them the McLampet males and the sawmill laborers.”

“Anyway... I think it goes without saying, John, but if you're ever hurt, or someone's injured, I'm a pretty capable healer, so don't be afraid to look me up. Also, uhm... if you lose something, or are looking for something, I've got a knack for finding lost items, and might be able to fish it up for you.”
    “I will take that into consideration,” he replies with something close to a chuckle. “It is good to know that your knowledge of medicine does not come exclusively from ‘Doctor Sexy, MD’.”

He pauses, considering whether he has a similar offer to make. Unfortunately, he is as average and talentless as a person gets.

“It is my shame to admit that I have not much in the way of practical skills to offer in these circumstances. I know something about computers and vehicles from my part-time jobs, I guess. Aside from that…I think I can answer questions concerning ancient, esoteric lore; the mystic and the supernatural.”

A second chuckle, this one more on the self-deprecating side.

“Then again, as I am lacking formal instruction or the backing of an organization, I would not be surprised if everybody else in this school is better versed than I am in such matters. In that case, I can only offer my personal collection for your perusal, in case there is need for occult knowledge not already in our minds.”

After this, Lucille Faraday finally joins the discussion, sharing her side of the events of the previous night. One of the owl costumes…it left deep enough tracks, so it was not a case of ‘remote manipulation or animation of objects’ or anything of the sort. Somebody was wearing that costume, leaving it by the open window as Skye reported.

“Yes, I believe Skye and I found those same tracks, as well yours, and we reached the same conclusion. Skye left to explore the outbuilding on her own after that; perhaps she found something else.”

Faraday then shares her understanding of the Prushka issue. John himself was aware of the intrusion into Prushka’s bedroom, but he had failed to associate it to a heightened intent to investigate the campus. Certainly, it does make sense. She is also right to say there is no point in further discussing the matter—that is for Prushka and Momoi to resolve in whatever way they choose to do so.

Faraday then rejects John’s apologies for Mercedes West’s dark fate. He can only nod at her words.

“Thank you, Miss Faraday. For your information and for your kind words. Indeed, we must strive to resolve this, for the sake of Miss West and everybody else.”

Words that sound encouraging and uplifting yet carry not a tinge of goodwill when they come out of his mouth.

With that, he turns to the sheepish Elise Marie Pelltier who asked him a question she obviously did not wish to have to ask.

“Miss Pelltier, as I said before, I trust you to reveal and withhold information at your discretion. If you do not wish to talk with me about this matter, you do not have to force yourself. In any case, I did not see anything that can change my opinion of you, so you have no reason to worry on that regard.”

Not ‘changed’ or ‘would change’, but ‘can change’. The veil of moonlight that detaches John Dove from the colorless people also makes it so that he does not care about their idiosyncrasies as long as they do not get in the way. Perhaps one day Elise Marie Pelltier’s secrets will become a threat or an obstacle to him, but he does not—cannot—care about them before then.

“It is not a problem to tell you, but I would like to ask something else first, before I forget: are there others like you I should be aware of? Church operatives, I mean.”

A pause.

“…that is, if you are allowed to tell me.”

Wise Up! (John Dove)
    [Otherworldly Lore]
    Restrictions: John Dove only.
    Knowledge is power, and nowhere is this more true than on the Turnside of the world. Even a normal human can find use in knowing about the occult and the supernatural, even if that knowledge is not always completely right. However, it takes a certain type of mind and a certain type of obsession to have this sort of wisdom...and John Dove certainly fills these criteria.

• John possesses a collection of tomes, folios and other materials he has collected throughout the past ten years. This makes his bedroom a Research Location specialized in the Occult skill; a potential source of esoteric knowledge and even ceremonial spells for inquisitive mystics. John did not take possession of every single occult piece he memorized, and even if he had, he would not have been able to take everything with him—the availability of any given piece of information or spell within John's collection is always at the GM's discretion.
    • (Additional effects yet to be disclosed)

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Nora
    "That would be missing woodsmen... or rather, those who worked for the saw mill," Nora answered Liana's question. "Many have gone missing over the years after they closed down the McLampet Mill, to the point you can find their graves set up in a particular way at the graveyard."
    "I see. There's normally something like that in these sorts of towns... Easier to get lost when you're already far away from modern civilization."

---Yes.

That was certainly one way to describe that particular set of graves. Of course, there had been a number of other bizarre things inside of the graveyard, from creepy blue-haired 'ghosts' to spatial issues with some of the so-called headstones and their plots of land, but...

Those graves had stood out a bit too.

And aboot the family that runs the town, well... yes. They have been as ill-fated as this town. One could even say that their fate has been the the fate of this town. Though for that, you would have to talk to those who know the local gossip better than I do."
    ---The way she phrased that almost made her chuckle.

After all, she had made a similar remark to John herself, of the town seemingly sharing the fate of it's most powerful family; it's a different form of curse, one of economics and wealth rather than that of magic and the supernatural, of course, there was now a possibility that the family was actually, literally cursed, and well...

Road's End was in rough shape...

"I am here just for these, not that much for human interaction."
    Of course, these words -a bit divorced from the current topic- also draw her attention a bit, purely because she was growing a bit more interested in Nora over time, of course, one could say that she found most humans interesting, and well...

They wouldn't exactly be wrong, but...

She raises an eyebrow slightly.

"Oh? Do you study all day?" She smiles at the taller girl, "That's an admirable spirit for a student to have, but I think it's important to take breaks from schoolwork every once in awhile, you know? Sometimes I go out and sing for fun, although nowadays I mostly just go for rides on the skateboard, helps to clear the thoughts a bit."

It does.

Videogames do too of course, but she had had to leave a lot of that stuff back home...

After all of this supernatural nonsense was sorted out, she'd have to see if there were any games on the computers back at school...

"...Of course, I also used to read Le Morte d'arthur by myself for fun, and try to translate old texts just to see what they say... Yeah, maybe I'm not one to talk about taking breaks from books..."

Still...

The conversation goes on, and she's eventually shown the journal Vier had seemed so interested in, and...

It was certainly...

Something alright...

As expected, it fulfilled the role of the town boogeyman, an entity that seemingly spirits away those who are far from home. There are a few hasty theories that can be made out of all of this of course, such as the fact that all of the students are indeed 'far from home,' and thus susceptible to that sort of phenomena...

If that is what it is, a phenomena...

Dot. F. Loonwaters apparently had something to do with it according to the Agent, so was she just taking advantage of a local belief/entity to purge the students? Then again, with the way Muse had described the Ghost-wood it was a place of very real power, and according to Vier's account of Sunday, it had mostly been the students going after each other rather than monsters showing up to rip the place apart, so...

Some sort of possessing spirit?

...It was at times like these that she wished she had paid a bit more attention in her mother's classes.

---Then again, it's not like the magic classes would help with identifying the powers behind what could just be a particularly demented tulpa...

It also didn't explain the apparent space-time distortions...

Still...

"...It mentions a song centered around the Disembodied Man in here, have you found that part yet?"

...The fact that this journal was hand-written was also...

Strange.

"Surprised they didn't put it in with the rest of the information on this page. Seems like it'd be a pretty important part of it's story."

Then again, since it was a local thing...

The song might just be common knowledge for the townsfolk around here...

A slightly more amused smile crosses her face however, as she looks around the library once more...

"Then again... This library is delightfully whimsical with it's organization, might be fun just hunting it down in here..."

...She did like books, but...

Computers were far, far more efficient...
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

“However, I do not know if there is a connection between Loonwaters and the Disembodied Man. In fact, it is not a possibility I had considered before I talked with Prushka last night. As to ‘a drug that forces you to see the truth’, I cannot comment. I am aware Cesarina Feroce is under some sort of medication regime, and I would not be surprised to learn she is not the only one. Aside from that, I have no idea. Same about ‘the man who died’. Plenty of people have died or disappeared around here, foremost among them the McLampet males and the sawmill laborers.”
    “Perhaps it’s the medication Miss Min offers to the students? Last week, after my… scuffle with Xylia, it turned out she offered me the same medication Xylia takes. I didn’t even attempt to take it last week, but perhaps…” Lucille trails off. It’s merely a hypothetical, and a seemingly risky one at that.

John tells them about how Skye continued on—Lucille supposes that she will have to confront the girl with the obvious at some point—and his comforting words lack a human element to them. Sincerity? They sounded like platitudes. But she has spoken enough to, or rather heard John Dove enough, to understand this is just how he is.

“It is not a problem to tell you, but I would like to ask something else first, before I forget: are there others like you I should be aware of? Church operatives, I mean.”
    And yet, as much as she would like to avoid it, the question comes anyway, in its own shape and form.

“There is an operative Elise was supposed to meet, Devon Rustfield, but neither she nor I knows where he is supposed to be.” She deflects a little by explaining Elise’s circumstances, but she’s just trying to avoid the topic. She does not know how much John Dove has heard or seen, but for some reason, she is afraid of bringing it to light. Nevertheless, there was… no point in being dishonest. He would learn eventually.

“Though, what’s more relevant for you John, is that… Sakura is currently under the employ of my family, and much like Elise and I, a member of the Church. Though, if you were to confront her about it, it’s best to do it behind closed doors and mention my name.” Lucille gives the explanation rather calmly, a well-practiced smile of pleasantries on her lips. “She is unaware of the full details of what is happening, however—I’ve been meaning to find time with her tonight to discuss the situation with her and Elise. Unlike us, she shows no indication of remembering.”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"Very well! When next we meet, I shalt announceth to her that she hath no reason to fear mine physical form, no matter her feelings! After all, 'tis in the first place that I felteth naught towards the same sex - only towards the bold physical forms of gentlemen and the swords they carrieth! So yes - I shalt forgive her, and apologizeth to her, come next we meet! Still... thou art truly a gentleman and a good friend, Colt. To thinketh thou tooketh such a heavy moral blow for thy friend... I art truly impressed by thee. You covered for her, and tried to help her to stayeth at the chaste path... what nobility of thee!"

“Y-yeah, nobility. That’s me! I strive to be…” Colt wasn’t sure if it was visible, but he was certain that he felt a bead of sweat form on his forehead. The sheer effort of keeping his composure as such a terrible lie was believed was taking its toll, physically and mentally. “Noble. Always noble, and a gentleman, and a good friend to Hisa.”

‘Bless her heart, whatever nutrients that growing brain of hers needed went straight to her chest.’

The angel hung its head as the awful, poorly thought-out lie was taken at face value as a certain truth. Doing so, averting its eyes from the world before it, was the angel’s fatal mistake. Suddenly two hands that, to the tiny angel, were as large as boulders came down to tightly hold onto Colt’s shoulders with a slam. The angel died instantly.

The angel’s death left the boy alone with Tris. Tris, and her exquisite assets. Alone, with Tris, and a perfect view of those hanging, ripe fruit.

"'Tis a joy to see a man in this modern age who understandeth the value of staying loyal to your heart's chosen! Thou art unlike those modern youths who flitteth about, chasing after any attractive person they gazeth upon. Indeed, unlike them, thou even tried to make your friend, the fair maiden, to realizeth the value of this world-view!"

“Uh-huh, that’s right,” Colt instantly agreed, not even listening to what Tris was saying. He was too busy fighting the greatest battle of all his days, to keep his eyes above her neck. A battle that he was losing. “Yeap. Realize the value of this view.”

What a view it was.

"I art truly glad I met a noble man such as thee!"

“And I’m glad I met you, Tris.” His eyes finally gave in and looked down. The battleship that was his willpower sank before the might of the knight’s twin torpedoes. “For many reasons.”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Thankfully, in the end, it didn't look like Tris had realized what Colt's gaze meant, or that he had succumbed to his baser desires by letting his eyes roam freely - purely by instinct. Instead, the girl had simply patted him on the shoulder a second time, reaffirming that she was happy about this meeting as well, and waltzed over to the table so that she could drink some after-breakfast coffee. With that, a certain sense of silence fell back into the room, one that had been missing thanks to the large crowd that had gathered there previously.

The clock on the wall was ticking away seconds, and while it wasn't yet time to head for class (and did Colt really plan on attending a class to begin?) the time for that would be soon enough.

In other words, while there was still time to do something, the end of morning was also nearby.

Choices of what to do were at hand.

Though speaking of which... what was Tris doing over there?

The girl was still sipping on her coffee while seated at the table, but at the same time she was playing with something in her free hand. It looked almost like a rock, or a smooth piece of some mineral or metal, but at the same time, Colt knew he had never seen something like that before. It was the colour of translucent blue, shifting from deeper shade of azure to a lighter one, and even to almost diamond-like whiteness at spots. The piece of mineral had been shaped into an egg of sorts, sanded down so that its surface was perfectly smooth. On the surface though, a handful of runes that didn't look like any human language had been written, and inside the whole thing... it almost looked like a droplet of water was moving around in ways that defied gravity.

So why was the blonde knightess now staring at that rock with an expressionless face.

"... What befuddlement. There art not a single mentioneth of him in our reports. Dost this meaneth that our deep boundary scans wereth faulty? Or hath he shieldeth himself in some capacity?" Tris muttered quietly as one of the runes suddenly glowed just a little bit, the light reflecting from the girl's eyes. "'Tis true that ascencion technology art still in its infancy, and the lack of crust maketh scans unreliable, but still..."

Suddenly, Tris looked straight at Colt, her face surprisingly serious.

"Tell me, Colt - hast thou met that blackguard from last night before? The more I thinketh of him, the more of an enigma he becometh..."

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar

Prushka

"What I want to talk about...? Everything," Prushka says, without missing a beat. "Starting with, um, yesterday. Or Sunday? Actually, I didn't see you after Friday night at all, so maybe it's best to start there. We've got a lot of catching up to do."

Hisa Momoi

"What, this is an interrogation or something?" I laugh out of misery, "First, you ignore me...Then you just start accusing me with the most unbelievable things, offend me so many times, attack my doll..."

I pause, only to breathe in, then breathe out slowly, trying to calm my already growing anger;

"That's pretty much like outright attacking me. I don't even understand..."

I could only hope that at least he didn't do anything to the body itself.

Not that I didn't have replacements, but...

That would just make me even more pissed.

"And now we should just have a story time, a nice friendly chat, as if nothing happened?"

I rub my temples, refusing to even comprehend it.

"Perhaps first you should tell what the big problem is exactly, because I can't really understand at this point."

Vivienne Bianchi

Vivienne calmly asserts the situation. It would appear that Prushka has done quite a few things indeed to get on Hisa's bad side. That was the part that was missing, Hisa's perspective of what was going on...

"Was this.. Sakura? Your doll?" Vivienne asks Hisa, wondering if the little doll that had hosted Elise and her yesterday had ended up on Prushka's bad side....

"Prushie can get... a bit hot-headed at times... but I think that there may be a... misunderstanding here..."

Having the two of them explode at each other would not be very useful, so encouraging a spirit of dialogue would be best here indeed... well, attempting to do so was Vivienne's goal at any rate...

Prushka

"I hope it's a misunderstanding. Each time you do something that seems awful, I really, really hope there's a good reason for it. But those reasons have been slow in coming."

Prushka continues, calmly, without raising her voice.

She sets down her backpack, opens up the top, and withdraws from within a wooden doll. She holds it out for Hisa. It's unharmed... though there's something on the head that looks suspiciously like a bloodstain.

"The problem, Hisa Momoi, is that you terrify me. I don't understand you. You make no attempt to be understood. Each time my mental picture of you is redrawn, it becomes uglier and nastier. Each time I try to tell myself you mean well, you must be a good person, it becomes harder and harder to believe."

"So, I'm here to understand you. And to give this back, I guess. I certainly hope you have a good explanation for why that thing was out there. And for what it tried to do to Mercedes West. Because giving me the cold shoulder is a bit rude, but... interfering with those not in the Turnside is inexcusable."

Hisa Momoi

Ah...I guess Vivienne followed us. It must not have been obvious enough that we wanted to talk in private...but then I guess she lacked the emotions in the first place to properly read the situation.

Well, whatever. Even if she is here...it won't change much in the end.

"No, there are others too, not just Sakura..." I said absentmindedly, with my focus still mostly on Prushka, "You haven't met her yet."

Still, for now, that was about all I had to say to Vivienne.

"I do awful things? And who made you the judge of that? And more importantly...why do I owe you an explanation for everything?"

As I expected, it really was going to be one of those conversations.

"I mean...you don't have to believe that I'm a good person. You obviously don't want to do so, since you're quite literally just opposing everything I do or say..."

Well, at least she brought the doll back, in one piece. That's one less thing to worry about.

"What do you even know about Mecedes?"

Obviously, not much. Just like how she said, we haven't met since friday...and she likely haven't met Mercedes since then either. She knows nothing of what happened, and yet...she is already jumping to conclusions, and is here to judge me for it.

"She might be an ordinary human...but she ended up being wrapped up in the Turnside just as much as anyone else last time. She suffered because of it, she almost died because of it once, and in the end...she was gone, just like many others."

"She needs to be involved. She is a smart girl, she will understand, and she can be just as helpful as anyone else. If she is just kept in the dark, the same things will just repeat. She'll remain oblivious, her first meeting with the Turnside will be that monster that breaks her body into pieces, and she is just going to suffer over, and over again."

Vivienne Bianchi

"I see..."

Comfort that Sakura was safe? For a girl who felt no emotions it was most likely not the case, but perhaps it was an attempt at simulating attachment and relief. Something to make Vivienne seemingly less robotic.

However indeed, there was a bit of an echo as to Hisa's sarcastic description of this scene to a degree -- someone was judging the other here...

Vivienne saw that Hisa wasn't too comfortable with having a third person here, but then that was natural, usually people would not really say that it is an agreeable person to be observed by an emotionless person when one has their own ideals and perceptions of life challenged.

Still Vivienne had her reasons to be here -- she too after all, wanted to understand her allies to a degree. Both Prushka and Hisa had proved themselves as rather capable in their own way... so understanding how they had come to conflict with each other was also something that had its worth.

For now, the idea that Hisa was trying to get some non-affiliated individual into the turnside wasn't that misguided, in fact, Vivienne agreed to details like that quite a bit. That was why she was planning on helping Alex Terrot after all, wasn't she?

"Prushie... I think that no matter wherever you like it or not... everyone is already involved into this wherever they were originally... part of the turnside or not..."

She pauses, remembering the conversation she had with Vier last night.

"... everyone dies by Sunday evening... no matter what they are... or who they are... and you saw that happened to Alex... so I think that... getting more to help isn't bad necessarily..."

It looked like Vivienne was siding with Hisa on this matter for now... for someone who was emotionless, it made sense after all that she would go for the 'logical' approach...

"though ... what did you try... with Mercedes... Hisa?"

... still, she did not know everything, and perhaps that Hisa was taking measures that were a bit extreme.

Of course, drastic situations like the ones they found themselves in could possibly warrant drastic responses... still, if one took the matter without tact or consideration, instead of gaining another ally, they could end up with another insane wildcard.

Prushka

"...back when we first met, when you offered me your sword and I grabbed onto it... I could feel what was in it. Sadness, curiosity about the world, trauma, need, loss... missing someone dear to you... confusion, stubbornness, fragility, fear..."

"I feel all those things too, y'know. What I thought at that moment was that we weren't so different."

"And then, in the woods, when you told me you'd protect our friends, no matter the cost... do you remember what I felt, when you told me that? It should've come through... I was glad to feel that concern of yours, that conviction. I was happy to know you cared."

"...do you remember what I told you after that? 'In the first place, guilt is just the worst. I don't want to be saddled with it. It stinks and it's nearly impossible to get rid of.'"

Prushka continues to speak, calmly, her expression unchanging.

"I can't forget those feelings of yours. They're carved into my soul. That's the reality I perceive. So, every time I get angry at you, every time I think you're awful, every time I want to give up on you... I remember those feelings, and I feel guilty about thinking those things."

"So, I understand what you wanted to do to Mercedes. And I couldn't disagree more. That was awful of you, Hisa. We can't bring humans into the Turnside. That's an awful, shitty rule, but it's not a rule we can break just because we want to, because we want to make use of their talents... no, you said you wanted to protect her. I'll believe that's the reason. But it won't protect her. It'll just put her in danger. And it'll put you in danger. Vivi, you need to lie to Alex. You need to keep her out of this. And you need to keep Mercedes out of this, Hisa. Even if all you want is to tell the truth. Because if you deviate from that lie on purpose, both you and her are going to be crushed by the world itself."

I extend my hand, which is empty now, palm up.

"Hisa, I don't want to be scared of you. And... I want to believe you don't want to hate me either. I want to believe we both want to escape this loop and keep everyone safe. If you doubt anything I'm saying..."

My hand is there for the taking.
    Last edited by Cheetose; July 31st, 2020 at 02:07 PM.

Vivienne Bianchi

Oh. Lies. More lies.

Lie the lie.

Put a mask upon the mask.
    "No. No lies."

After this ceremonious discourse on keeping the appearance of things, after this great story of morals and duties, of feelings, emotions and consideration, comes a simple answer. To Prushka, this may be like hitting the harsh, cold stone of the pavement face-first.

"Lying and keeping them out will not protect them.... Alex will not stop until she finds the truth... or like 'last' week... she is found out beforehand..."

There was no stopping Alex Terrot. Vivienne Bianchi knew it. There was sidetracking her, or distracting her, but ultimately there was no stopping her, unless she was... forcibly stopped. Vivienne knew how these cases went most of the time after all.

"Mercedes... if she has proven herself as a capable... then we should find a way to make her realize what lies ahead... we must do everything to change what happens..."

Her eyes are empty as usual, her voice carries no conviction nor doubt, it is simply like a robot reciting facts.

"No matter how much we keep them out of this... they will be implicated in the end... wherever we want it or not... all of Road's End..."

Vivienne pauses, quiet aware that what she is saying may shatter the image or the hopes that Prushka has of her, but an outcome like this was unavoidable ultimately, if the two of them kept meddling... Vivienne herself knew it.

"That does not mean we should not be careful in how we get others implicated... we should be mindful of our approaches... but... I think you know that... right...? If we just make them panic... no use..."

Perhaps that Hisa Momoi did, or perhaps that she had no regard for tact when approaching others with such subjects. They were about to find out.

Prushka

"Alex..."

Prushka pauses, a grimace finally breaking through her calm expression.

"...I remember her obsession as well. But... you'll tear a powerless human from the only protection she has, without her consent or permission? We can't just drag people into the Turnside. It's a cruel place where humans can't survive on their own. It's not our decision to make. Even Alex..."

It's true. The magnitude of that girl's obsession is too much. She'll search incessantly for the truth. Even if it destroys her.

"Even... I don't know..."

Hisa Momoi

“Where are we even getting with this?”

She thinks that I’m awful, even though she doesn’t want to do so?

It isn’t such a hard thing to do, is it?

“I still care. I care more than before, especially because of what I had to go through. Everything I do, I do so as an attempt to get those important to me through the tragedy that is about to happen.”

It should have been obvious, shouldn’t it?

But before I could elaborate more, Vivienne spoke up once more.

And she seemed to be restless. Almost upset, as upset an emotionless person could be. Still...at least she made some sense. Enough sense that it would hopefully be able to convince Prushka, since I certainly would not be able to do so, not on my own…

“It might be awful from your perspective. But think about it. Wouldn’t just leaving her to her fate...which is an inevitable meeting with the turnside and her death even more cruel?”

No...it’s not even just that. Prushka’s suggestion...To lie to her, to make her oblivious even longer, that’s even worse than not doing anything at all.

“It’s impossible to protect her otherwise. I can’t keep an eye on her at all times. I can’t cooperate with her while keeping her in the dark. She is involved in all this just for the simple fact that she is here, and she has the right to know.”

Thinking about it...It shouldn’t be that hard either. Judging by last time...it didn’t take too long for her to believe. But then...I guess before that she had to experience that beating by some monster, and then almost get killed by a demon as well, so…

Did she really have a chance to not believe, I wonder...

“That’s why...I’m going to ease her into it. First just the turnside, then about what happened...And as soon as possible. It’s thursday already. There is no time for childish games.”

I glanced at Prushka’s extended hand.

I understood by now. She didn’t want to just shake hands. I wasn’t just a simple gesture, an ordinary handshake acting as a sign of trust and cooperation…

“I’m sorry, I can’t take your hand. Again, you’re just trying to use your powers on me, because you’re refusing to believe my words. Just like how you mentioned my dagger as well...you’re that paranoid, aren’t you?”

“You’re reading everyone, sniffing out their emotions all the time...Just like how you recognized my doll earlier as well. If I can be the judge this time...I’d say that’s just as awful.”

Prushka

"...awful, huh? I guess, from the perspective of a human, it might be awful."

I close my hand and withdraw it, after looking at it for a moment. Then I kneel down, reach into my backpack, and withdraw... a small plastic bottle. Within it are a small number of capsules. Enough so that, if two are taken per day, they might last a week.

"I'm not a human, Hisa Momoi. Human beings have five senses. I have six. The world I live in and the world humans inhabit are not the same. I don't read people; I smell the feelings that they leave behind, everywhere they go, all the time. That's my natural state of being. I do this just as humans see colour, or hear language, or taste food. Just as a dog might understand whether someone is happy or sad by the pheromones they produce. It's simply a thing my body does."

I step forward, place the bottle down on the cold floor in front of Hisa, where she can freely pick it up and examine it, and then step back.

"That medicine was given to me, after ten years of being forced to understand people, to shut off that sixth sense. If I take that, at the beginning of the day, I can pretend to be human. I can be as ignorant as they are. I don't have to touch a doorknob and taste the seething hatred of the last person who passed through it. I don't need to live with the knowledge that the woman who handed me my breakfast is so lonely she wants to die. I don't have to hear 'I love you' coming out of the mouth of the person hugging me, and understand that if I were just a bit more ignorant, I could have accepted his lie and been happier for it."

I could have accepted the lies of humanity, and not considered them awful.

"...but, if I pretend to be a human, then I won't be myself anymore. I'll be someone who ignores the truth, who ignores people's feelings. If knowing what others feel is awful, then knowing what they feel and ignoring it is even more awful. I'd rather die than cut off who I am. And I'd rather die than believe it's awful for a creature like me to exist. And I don't want to live in the world of humans. It's... an awful one, where people lie to each other and themselves. Where everyone is alone. Where people can't understand each other. So, I do my best to be clear and open with humans. I always let people know how I feel, even if I feel terrible, even if that means they'll hate me for ruining everyone's fun. So that we can understand each other's feelings. Because if you understand someone, you won't need to be afraid of them."

I extend my hand towards her again.

"Hisa... I won't do anything awful, I promise. Feelings aren't... they're not something you can just play around with. They're the most important things in this world. If I did anything awful, then Vivi would be able to stop me. I just... want to talk to you again. To talk through our feelings like that time in the forest."

Even though she refused... please, Hisa...

"If I understand you, then I won't be able to hate you, no matter what. And if you understand me, then... can we be friends again?"

Last edited by Cheetose; July 31st, 2020 at 02:34 PM.

Vivienne Bianchi

Vivienne listens to Prushka's explanation, attentively. Here, has been unraveled a tapestry that explains the existence of this girl that believes she is not human, that believes that because of her status, because of her ability to see beyond lies, she cannot be considered human anymore. Yet does that not contradict her opinion on keeping Mercedes uninvolved, on keeping those that are about to suffer uninvolved?

There is an endless flow of contradictions, of nonsense flowing from Prushka's mouth, and Vivienne Bianchi will try her best to make Prushka understand that what she is saying falls apart on closer inspection.

"Prushie... do you think that understanding emotions... that reading minds makes you not human? I do not think that it is not the case... because everyone... each and every person... can do what others cannot... but does that remove their humanity?"

Vivienne pauses once more, but her eyes do not leave Prushka. The cold, empty eyes that are devoid of any hint, that perhaps make Prushka understand how it is like to deal with someone else that she cannot 'read' under normal circumstances. Ah yes, is this why Prushka had this strange connection to Vivienne? Because for once, Prushka could not understand, no matter how hard she tried -- she too, could feel 'human' by her definitions, when met with the enigma that was Vivienne Bianchi.

"What is a human exactly... Prushie...?"

What exactly defines such a thing indeed. The physiology? The societal behavior? Was Prushka going to recite what exactly it is that describes the species 'homo sapiens'? If someone lost a sense, are they not human anymore? Prushka in a similar but opposite gained a sense, unlike say a blind person that lost their sight... were they no longer human anymore?

"You say that you are not human... because you have the ability to smell people's emotions... but there are some people who even without your ability... can tell when others are lying."

Yes. Insight, experience, understanding, some eventually came to develop these aspects enough to the point where they did not need mind reading abilities to understand how sincere the opposing party was.

"What you have... makes you special... but it doesn't make you not human. You too are ignorant, we are all ignorant of things that we know that we don't know.... and that we don't know that we don't know..."

The known unknowns, and the unknown knowns. The Johari Window. Jung's Shadow.

"You... think more of yourself than others.... that because of that 'gift' you can judge those that do not have it... but is that just not 'human'? Excess in privilege, the Sin of... Pride... you are filled with pride of your power... Prushie..."

She approaches Prushka, her eyes locked onto the little girl, never moving, never blinking.

"'You don't understand' you tell us... but even you yourself... Prushie... do not understand Hisa... even with that power...is that not why you are here? To understand her more... and in that sense... you are just like humans. People who talk to each other, who communicate to each other... to understand... what the other wants... what the other loves... that is how... people... that is how Humans are... and in looking for this meeting... you have proved that you are Human... Prushie..."

She puts her hand on Prushka's shoulder, the empty hand that cannot be read, and continues with her empty voice, the empty voice that cannot be read either...

"Even now Prushie... you just told us... that we must continue to lie... to keep the world 'safe' for Mercedes and Alex... you who hate lies... is that... a bit hypocritical?"

A world filled with emotions, not only hers but of others, is now put in stark contrast to an absolute barren desert, one could perhaps even call this envy, and... anger. Vivienne Bianchi cannot get angry, but as her hand comes to rest on top of Prushka's head, one could imagine something along the lines of 'how dare you complain about these kind of things? How dare you think that you are above everyone just because you think that only you are 'different'?!'

But that is the beauty of being emotionless. You do not get angry, not are you happy, you are simply there, making observations.

"People do not need to possess your ability to understand each other... isn't society proof of that? Aren't the people who get along fine here... proof of that? Do you think it is awful... that you don't understand me? If everything is lies... shifting like the sands in the desert... then nothing would hold... all would sink eventually... but are we not here, trying to understand each other? If you are afraid of not knowing... you will be afraid for your entire life... because we cannot know everything..."

She matches the little girl's deluge of sentimentality with her own, cold logic. But in that logic, there seems to be the lingering hope of a girl that was once thought snuffed out, when Vivienne Bianchi's soul was broken. It would appear she is still there, somewhere...

Hisa Momoi

At first, I wanted to be harsh. To call out Prushka for being a pretentious, arrogant hypocrite, to shout at her, even though things were finally starting to calm down, but…

Before I could do any of that, Vivienne spoke up again, and just kept talking, digging deep into some philosophical theories...very much unlike how she’s been before, and very unusual for a quiet, emotionless person.

Still, I wouldn’t interrupt her.

I waited patiently until she finished conveying her thoughts, and...as weird as it felt, it seemed like it was my turn to talk.

“I don’t think I would even really need to explain after this, but…”

And somehow, my rage was gone. Or rather, it was just veiled in confusion, subdued by the speech of the other girl that very much resonated with what I was planning on saying.

“Saying that you’re not human...just because you have some powers that others don’t, that’s just too arrogant and offensive, even for you. Just with that claim...just by saying that someone is not human because they possess something special, you’re offending so many. Because you aren’t just refusing to accept that you are a human...but you’re also implying that I’m not a human. That Pyry is not one, that Ubon is not one…”

I shake my head in disapproval, but there is still no sign of angriness. With that gone, there’s just the calm disappointment left that I could offer.

“You’re denying our humanity. Since I’m exactly the same. I see things differently, and I can manipulate people’s bodies and minds on a whim. A horrifying power that was not easy to accept, but...I’m still a human. And other humans are not any less than me just because of their lack of such power.”

I wasn’t sure where to look, or what to do. I just had to do something. Walk in circles, fidget with my hands, something…

So I sat down on one of the benches, and started cleaning the doll that Prushka gave back.

“As Vivienne said...It’s just as arrogant to say that people don’t understand each other. That all humans do is lie to everyone...Because people who want to understand each other are perfectly capable of doing so, even without having the ability to present all their emotions on a silver platter. Because understanding isn’t just about knowing what others feel.”

At least nothing on it seems broken. Would have been a pain to repair it, especially since it’s one of the old wooden models.

“Emotions don’t define us. It’s our consciousness, our ability to think, to comprehend our surroundings is what makes us what we are first and foremost, and the different ways of how we comprehend and react to everything around us is what makes us unique. Emotions just play a part in that...but emotions are not unique. We can all feel anger, happiness, sadness, jealousy...but it’s not the presence of those emotions what matters. What’s important is how each and everyone treats those emotions differently, and how they lead to all kinds of different reactions.”

Ah…

What even made me to try and be so philosophical?

It wasn’t really like me. Not that I did not like digging deep into topics like this, entertaining the thought just by myself in my own mind, but…

Well, there was Angelica, and I suppose she made up for all the company I ever had, so I guess I never even really had the chance to talk to a lot of other people like this.

“Because of that...understanding someone is also far from just understanding their feelings. And what I assume you consider lying, when something a person says does not align with the feelings...That’s just hypocritical. Your own made up description of what lying is. But in reality, it’s not so one dimensional.”

Absentmindedly, I start running my finger up and down the smooth, chill surface of the puppet.

I should formalize one of them again. They’ve been quite the help, and hopefully there won’t be anyone else vandalizing them now.

“By your description, Vivienne has been lying all this time, because she doesn’t even have any emotions to back her words up. And I’ve been lying as well, because most of what I’ve been feeling has been anger and disappointment, feelings that would tell me to punch you in the face or worse, to just ignore you, since that would be a lot less trouble...and yet I’m here talking like this, without considering any of my words lying.”

Well, I’d probably have to wait until I’m out of here anyways.

I put the doll down on the bench next to me for a moment, but only so that I can grab my bag, and place the doll into it.

“So if you want to understand me...you can’t take such a pitiful shortcut. It’s wrong, especially without my consent, especially without a very good reason...I don’t just read everyone’s thoughts either, especially not of those who are close to me. It’s their words that are important. Their actions. If I refuse to put my trust into them based on that and resort to such methods to see behind those...Then I don’t deserve their trust either, or to be called their friend.”

Finally, I looked up at Prushka, my eyes staring straight into hers.

“Just like how I won’t consider you anything remotely close to a friend either long as you refuse to believe my words and try to relate to my emotions so desperately.”

Prushka

"No... Vivi... it's not like that..."

She doesn't understand. Once more, they don't understand...

No, I'm the one who doesn't understand... what my own words sound like when said out loud...

"You... think more of yourself than others.... that because of that 'gift' you can judge those that do not have it... but is that just not 'human'? Excess in privilege, the Sin of... Pride... you are filled with pride of your power... Prushie..."
    “Saying that you’re not human...just because you have some powers that others don’t, that’s just too arrogant and offensive, even for you. Just with that claim...just by saying that someone is not human because they possess something special, you’re offending so many. Because you aren’t just refusing to accept that you are a human...but you’re also implying that I’m not a human. That Pyry is not one, that Ubon is not one…”
    Of course that's the conclusion they'd come to.

No, it's the conclusion I'd already come to, ages ago. The one Xylia Pheme tore apart in front of my eyes.

I have to explain, clarify.

"I'm not, trying to be arrogant... there are humans who are amazing. Who do things I could only dream of. Of course there are. Of course there are hundred, thousands, millions of them. The most amazing man in the world is a human who refused to be defined by his genes. There's nothing to be proud of, being born or created a certain way. I'm not proud of being like this! Countless times, I've wished I could be normal... if you're like me, then you've thought the same too, right, Hisa? Even if we eventually came to accept who we are, there were still times where you thought 'what if', right?"

As I try to speak, the world closes in around me. It's happening again. I'm being stared at again, hated again.

But she's talking, right?

"...the society humanity created... that society you hold up as proof, Vivi... is one that can never accept those like us. If we try to cross over..."

If you try to escape to that world...
    "If we try to reveal ourselves for who we are..."

If you show them your powers...
    "If we try to go against that great lie..."

If you breach the rules of the Turnside...
    "...we'll be crushed. We of the Turnside can never really be a part of humanity, of that other side. We can pretend, we can lie, we can even make friends and fall in love... we can admire them and trust them and laugh with them and sing with them and cry with them... we can be just as amazing and awful as them... we can share their DNA and look exactly like them, and we can wish we were them... but we're not denizens of that world. At best, we can be visitors. We can be kept around as useful tools... And so we aren't human. We don't belong to humanity. And there's nothing wonderful about that. There's nothing to be proud of in not belonging to anything."

They stare. They stare. They stare.

But if they're looking at me, then at least...

"That society you speak of, Vivi, Hisa... it's not that nice. It's full of terrible things, too. It's built on blood and lies. For every human that can get along with others, that learns to accept and be accepted like you said... society creates ten more that are miserable, that are taught to deny themselves, that are afraid to be honest with others, that feel they have to fake a smile just to get by. And then human society creates schools like this, where it dumps those like us that don't fit in... In its own way, that's just as bad as the Turnside... but... I'd rather live in human society than not live at all, even if it's awful. Even if it's just on the fringes, as a tool. I don't want... to have nowhere to go back home to..."

“So if you want to understand me...you can’t take such a pitiful shortcut. It’s wrong, especially without my consent, especially without a very good reason...I don’t just read everyone’s thoughts either, especially not of those who are close to me. It’s their words that are important. Their actions. If I refuse to put my trust into them based on that and resort to such methods to see behind those...Then I don’t deserve their trust either, or to be called their friend.”
    "I don't... it's not like I've been... I haven't been doing anything like that either-! I trust Pyry, I trust Ubon... I believe in their actions... but I don't understand yours..."

But it feels like I've been punched again. The sting of rejection.

The rejection of 'feelings'.

The rejection of myself.

She called it pitiful. That which makes me, me.

Hisa...

Her silhouette warps and distorts before me. She is an unknowable void, a person I can't understand. Someone that terrifies me, that makes no sense.

“Just like how I won’t consider you anything remotely close to a friend either long as you refuse to believe my words and try to relate to my emotions so desperately.”
    "I'll believe you."

I stumble towards her, towards that horrifying person, and then regain my footing.

Her eyes bore into mine, and as terrified as I am, I can't look away.

"I'll believe you. I'll trust what you say. I'll trust what you do. I'll trust that you still care. And if I can't, I'll force myself to. So please... please tell me. About your words. Your actions. Tell my why you do the things you do, why last night happened, why you're still here, even though you have every reason to hate me... please tell me, Hisa. And... I'll tell you whatever you want, too."

If that's the only way, then I'll take it. Even if it's only as a human. That's enough.

"I... want to think of you as a friend. Please, if nothing else, believe that."

Please, don't leave me alone.

Hisa Momoi

Once again, my eyes wandered away from Prushka. She didn’t want to accept. She was just as adamant about her views as before, only more desperate...

“I did. I wished to be normal. I considered my powers to be a curse, that it unjustly caused me to suffer. I hated humans, they hurt me, they cast me out, they would rather have left me to die than to accept me. I was going to kill myself, just because I refused to live in this world that I considered so cruel any longer.”

I understood it, probably better than her. I lived longer than her to comprehend these things, to learn and change. And yet, she’s here trying to preach us about how awful everything is...

“But I learned to understand. Humans are afraid of the unknown. What they can’t comprehend scares them, and I can’t blame them for that. That’s how things should be, and that’s how I was as well. And the existence of the supernatural...it’s the biggest mystery there is, a phenomenon that can hardly be described and contained by the laws of the ordinary world. So of course, the natural reaction of those unaware would be to reject it…”

It was amusing, how different the locker room looked now. Without everything being a mess, without all the blood everywhere, without Mercedes’ broken body…

The image of that scene carved itself so deep into my memory, that it was just weird to see this place being so normal and peaceful.

“Still, I learned to accept. I came on terms with who I was. A human, one that was just dealt slightly different cards than usual. I have no doubts about that now...because coming here made me sure of that. People accept me, and they can easily set aside our differences. I’m part of their world, their society. I’ve always been, and it only ever was me who tried to deny that, and act so different. But I’m not.”

Is it going to happen again? Are we just hopelessly trying to change the past, only to come to the same conclusion?

Will I even get to see that side of Mercedes again, be able to talk to her without spitting acid at each other again, if those events were to be avoided this time?

Putting the thought aside, my stare shifted back to Prushka once more.

“And I’m not about to let you be the judge of that. You can think whatever you want of yourself...It doesn’t look like I would be able to convince you about that. But you can’t deny me of my humanity, nor will I allow you to push that pitiful mentality onto Pyry, Ubon, or anyone else.”

A cold, harsh stare, one that lacked the other emotions from earlier.

One that made me just as adamant about this proclamation as Prushka waws about sticking with her views.

One that softened up, if just slightly, so that it could accomodate a hint of confusion as well once the topic changed.

“More than that...I just don’t get it. I don’t understand what is there to explain about my actions, or rather, why it is so hard to understand them...Especially last night. It was supposed to be fun. I wanted to have fun...but at the same time, I knew it could have been dangerous. So I made sure to think through with Jake what the safe locations could be. I took precautions. I tried to make sure that especially people like Inacio and Ubon would be safe, since I wasn't sure if they knew about the turnside.”

Did she really think that I was trying to put anyone in danger? That I did it to annoy anyone, or to hinder her in any way...Am I really like that? Is that how low she thinks of me?

“If you think that I was just carelessly playing with people’s lives...If you think that anything I do is irresponsible and without consideration for others, then…”

I wanted to throw harsh words at her again. I was sure she would have deserved it. I wanted to question her, but at the same time, I would have been just repeating myself with that.

Instead, I just paused before the words could come out. I took a deep breath, and exhaled loudly, as I rubbed my temples.

“My moral compass is different, and so are my methods. But I’m learning. That’s why I’m here. But in the end...whatever the methods, I’m just trying to help others as best as I can. And I’d like to believe that my efforts are not in vain.”

Ubon

"You know guys... I think it all comes down to 'trust' in the end."

A sudden voice caught everyone unawares, at least to a point. While Hisa had requested that she'd be told where they were, and for her to join them, Ubon had still arrived at a slightly unexpected time.

How much had she heard?

How long had she been there?

How had they appeared to her, watching from the outside?

All sorts of questions ran in the heads of those who had used the girls' locker room as their little hideaway to finally have this conversation that, in a way, must have been some time coming now.

As for Ubon herself?

She stood in the doorway, arms folded, a strange expression on her face: one with a bit of happiness and a bit of melancholy in it, along with a great amount of something unknown.

"I mean, society isn't something unkown or opposing, even to us from the Turnside. In the end, it's just a collection of people. Just like we are, y'know? And people do good and bad things, depending who they are. It's not like we can blame society as a whole, or abandon it either, because we ourselves are people," Ubon spoke in silence as she stepped into the room. "But just like people are afraid of the unknown, so can we be afraid of the society. Not everybody can be brave, and not everybody can always be strong. We all have things we're bad with, or things we're afraid of, or things we're weak against... and that's for realsies."

The first part of her little speech had been for Prushka.

The second part had been for Hisa.

A neutral, outsider perspective that was the only thing Ubon could give them.

"And that's why we have trust. And lemme be clear here, Prushie... undeniable proof isn't trust. You can't build trust onto something unquestionable. That's just information, knowledge. If you know exactly what the outcome is, well... the act loses all it's meaning. It's a bit like seeing the future," Ubon continued, gazing at the three girls. "And while that might be nice, and while that might mean you'll never get hurt... it also means you'll never be truly happy, so much you could burst - so surprised by the kindness of others you can't handle it, and just have to hug them to show how much you love 'em. You know what I mean?"

While slowly walking towards one of the benches, Ubon made a vague gesture in the air. Almost as if she was trying to touch something that was not there, like a breath of air or a small gust of wind that slipped through her fingers.

"Trust is something intangible. Something much more fragile yet a heck of a lot stronger. You can break trust, but unlike information that's proven wrong, you can always forge it anew. Once knowledge is wrong, it's wrong forever - trust can always come back, no matter what," Ubon continued her explanation. "Trust is scary cause it's not something you can quantify, nor can you ever know if it's right to have it in something. You just have to trust that you made the right choice. It's... it's the unknown. So much more unknown than what the Turnside is."

Those aqua eyes turned back to the group.

"And everybody fears the unknown."

She finally reached the bench, and sat down on it. On one hand, Ubon looked almost tired, even beyond her years, yet at the same time, she gazed at the trio with gentle eyes.

"Of course, it can hurt. But it can also bring joy. You never know what it does, but the fact is, if you don't try, you'll never know," the girl said. "And life without pain or joy ain't no life at all."

A small sigh escaped her lips.

"What I'm trying to say is..."

Ubon's eyes were now focused solely on Hisa.

"Hizzie, you have to realize that if you keep it all bottled up inside, nobody's gonna figure out why you do what you do. Just 'cause someone says they don't feel what you do is right doesn't mean they hate you. If they did, they wouldn't bring it up to you," Ubon said, uncharacteristically seriously. "Can't you see? Prushie wants to trust you, she wants to be your friend, but if you don't explain to her what you're doing, she's gonna misunderstand and then... well, it's not gonna end well. You have to trust that people are worth that time... and that just 'cause you think what you do is right doesn't mean you shouldn't explain your reasons to others."

Then, having said that, those aqua eyes moved to Prushka and focused onto the smaller girl.

"And Prushie... you have to realize that just because someone does something you don't understand or agree with doesn't mean they're an evil person. They might think it's the right thing to do, or they don't know what else to do, or it might just be a mistake... but you can't hold grudge just 'cause they aren't acting just like you, or in a way you understand," Ubon continued, still sounding serious. "Don't you see? Hizzie wants to do what's right - she's doing the best she can with the problems she has. If you're gonna fault her about it, then... well, you might as well fault everyone else. Nobody does more than what they can. So, you have to trust that she has good intentions, even if she's not good at explaining them or always showing it."

And finally, it was over. At the very least, it felt like it was over. After all, now Ubon watched the two main players of this argument... and while her eyes seemed to be a bit wet, she still kept on a strong face, even smiling a little bit.

"I mean... you both are so similar it hurts. You're both totes awkward, don't trust others easily, get mad easily, yet are nothing but kind underneath that prickly outer shell, and just want to help others," the cyanhead finally concluded. "I guess that could be why you're always arguing when you're near each other..."

Ubon wiped her eyes a bit, and let out a sniffle.

"--- 'Cause you subconsciously don't get how you can be so alike, yet can't understand each other.

Vivienne Bianchi
    Vivienne was surprised ( as one can be when they are emotionless ) by the sudden appearance by a certain someone that they had no idea was here, and even worst, whose very presence may mean that she had been thrown into a world she wasn't ready for...

... but by the looks of it Ubon had been playing the same game as them, and perhaps was not so sure on how to open up the discussion with them. Did she remember last week?

The subject for now has changed, and perhaps, it has been resolved to a degree by Ubon's joining into the matter as a second mediator of sorts. Vivienne had made sure she'd be present in case the matters got a little bit too volatile... but having a fourth voice of reason to help was useful.

Of course, Vivienne's Bianchi logics had a few things she would like to add upon Ubon's words, perhaps add a little bit of refuting or refining to an aspect that is here or there, but ultimately, that is why opinions are called opinions, aren't they? Everyone has their own, and after choosing to believe something, there is also choosing to not believe anything.

Anyways, the matters were closed, and now the attention had clearly shifted to...

"Ubon...? Do you remember... 'last week'?"

Hisa Momoi

"Ah..."

Of course, Ubon arrives as well. In the end, I asked her to come. And since it's been a while...she must have been listening for some time now.

She must have understood part of it, but at the same time, she was far from understanding everything. So all she could do was to share her opinion based on that knowledge, and try to help...Even if I could not agree with everything she said.

"I'm...not trying to keep things bottled inside. And I'm putting more trust into people than it would seem. I mean...I probably wouldn't have talked to you in the first place otherwise. I'm trying to change, to accommodate people into my life just like how they accept me as well, but...you have to consider that disregarding a single person, I've been pretty much alone for most of my life."

There were some things I wanted to say about Prushka as well, but it was likely for the better to just keep those in. Things were starting to calm down...so there was no reason to fuel the fire any further, and keep being spiteful.

But she will not be so easily forgiven, and I'll never accept any claims about us being alike. And even if we set our grudges aside for now...she'll still be far from what I consider to be a friend. Her company will still won't be anything more than unpleasant, she'll still be the same pitiful, annoying idiot. Still...since I know that she is too big of a moron to anything bad, I can at least put some trust in her.

While I was lamenting over these thoughts, a question was asked.

A question that held great significance, but this was neither the place nor the time for it.

"She doesn't remember," I answered the question instead of Ubon, "She saw a dream about it, a tiny fragment of the whole, but nothing more than that."

As I turned towards Ubon, a troubled, worried expression spread over my face.

I only had to recall how Pyry reacted to being exposed to this information out of nowhere.

And he was probably stronger than Ubon...so how exactly was she going to handle this?

"Ubon..." I said as I fidgeted with my fingers nervously, "Remember the danger I mentioned earlier? It is...something that's going to happen this weekend. Something that we all went through, but also something that not all of us remembers."

I was planning on filling her in sooner or later anyways...I just did not expect it to be right here and right now, so suddenly.

I didn't even have the time to think an explanation through properly yet, considering how my mind was still occupied with the conversation we just had.

"You know...that dream you mentioned, with me and Mercedes, that wasn't just a dream. That was...something that actually happened. It's a small fragment of what happened during the weekend, before...time was reverted. I'm...not sure why you saw it, but...the world of dreams is not bound to time or space, so there is definitely an explanation."

I watched the girl, with the same worried expression, waiting to see how she would react. A stressful wait that started to feel like an eternity, and I was almost ready to see the girl freak out, to refuse to believe anything, to call us crazy...

But while my logic dictated that it was the likely outcome, my heart certainly hoped that she would believe it.

Prushka

"Ubon..."

How long was she here? How much did she see? To her, I must look pretty pathetic right now... and she would be right to call me that. But that wouldn't be Ubon.

Is that what trust is? Some unknowable thing that can't be grasped through knowledge and certainty? Is this what he meant when he said that without love, it cannot be seen?

"Ubon... I've known you for a week now, but..." I sniff and wipe my eyes clean. "You keep surprising me... I don't know about Hisa and I being similar though..."

Perhaps that's what it is. Even though I know even less about them than I do about Hisa... even though they've also hurt me... I can't think of Ubon and Pyry as bad people. Not for a second.

"...I know you care, Hisa."

Then, this is what needs to be done. If I'm to ask for her best, then I need to lead by example.

"But, yesterday... even today... I doubted you."

She's just as confused about last night as I am. Both of us were looking past each other that night, seeing only what we'd imagined was real. I thought she was being awful, but Hisa thought she was having fun. Then it's time to clear it up. My confusion, and hers. Time to do what I should've done that night in the first place, instead of getting mad and yelling at her in front of everyone.

Time to confess.

"It started in the morning. I woke up, remembering a spear piercing through my chest, and Mister Currumpaw looking sad, and then... then, after breakfast, I found out someone had broken into my room and tried to get into the closed off section of the dorms."

The instigating incident for this whole string of events.

"I was... scared, and not sure what to do. I felt like nowhere was safe anymore. But I knew you remembered. So that's why, in the music room... I brought up that I wanted to go exploring there. To try and track down whoever did it, before they did something even worse. Because we promised, didn't we? Last week, you, me, and Pyry promised never to go anywhere dangerous at night without bringing each other. It was just a silly thing we said to keep Pyry out of trouble, but..."

But I wanted to be with you two. To work together again.

"...I hated the idea of a test of courage from the start. That's why I argued against it. I wasn't having fun, not for a second. I couldn't even think of having fun that night. I was too scared, and worried. There was still the criminal running around without anyone looking for them. And it sounded too dangerous. The last time we all went into the woods as a group..."

I glance at Ubon. She looks so mature now. So dependable... but so fragile. She's doing her best too. I still remember her crying face, as she confessed that she just wanted to hang out with her friends and have fun, not run into a psycho with a gun in the middle of the woods. I still remember the hole in Pyry's shirt as he risked himself for us. I still remember how, for all our big talk... both Hisa and I were powerless to protect anyone that night.

"I didn't realize you'd taken precautions. I had no idea what you were thinking. If you felt like I wasn't talking to you, then I felt the same way, like I was being ignored, even though we'd promised to work together. I thought you were being irresponsible, at first. That you'd thought 'how bad could it be' and decided it wouldn't be a big deal as long as everyone was close to the school, this early in the week. But then the lots came out and it was obvious from the result that they were rigged, and Jake... it felt like you'd betrayed me. Like you'd known what I'd wanted in the first place and then thrown me to Briggs in exchange for your choice of location and partner, without a second thought. And then you pretended nothing had happened... I know you care, Hisa, but that night... I thought I might've been wrong. I thought you might not care at all. No... I thought you hated me. I couldn't trust you at all."

My state of mind then wasn't very clear. It was just... fear, and anger, and confusion, much like what Hisa mentioned.

And then...

"And then I nearly died."

The blades in my backpack are proof enough of that. I withdraw one, to prove the point. The jagged combat knife glimmmers in the light of the pool, caked over bloodstains still clearly visible on it. It goes back in the backpack. Looking at it makes me nauseous.

"It was pure dumb luck. That's all. If someone else had been there in my place, they wouldn't be alive right now. This knife confirmed every paranoid thought running through my mind. It confirmed the 'danger' was real."

Perhaps that's what tipped me over the edge. But maybe it didn't really matter much in the grand scheme of things. Would I have gotten angry even if the cabin had been empty? I'll never know.

I glance at Ubon again. Will she hate me for what I'm about to say? For dragging out a painful memory?

Even if it means she'll hate me, she deserves to know.

"I want to say what I did when I got back was all in order to put a stop to the test of courage before it got someone killed... but it wasn't. That was more of an unintended silver lining. What I should've done if I'd trusted Hisa was pull her away and ask what was going on. I should've talked to her, told her what I'd seen, asked her to help. But I didn't want to talk to her; I wanted to punish her. I wanted to tear away those lies and make her pay. I didn't even consider everyone else's feelings in that moment. I thought... if she's going to toss me in the trash, I'll drag her down with me. And when she didn't admit it, when she pretended she'd done nothing wrong... no she probably believed she'd done nothing wrong. She was probably planning on investigating on her own and sharing the results with me... but at that point, I didn't have any more benefit of the doubt left to give. When she didn't say anything, I decided I'd had enough. I wasn't going to be a pawn in someone else's game. It was all about me, me, me. I wasn't going to suck it up and pretend everything was okay for the sake of everyone else's fun. Not when it already felt like everything was falling apart around me. So I stormed off, and then... then you arrived, Ubon."

Nothing more needs to be said about what happened next. Not by me, at any rate. If Ubon wants to talk about her feelings on last night, if she wants to yell at me for being awful, I'll be quiet and listen. But I no longer have the right to judge anyone in this room. No, I never had that right in the first place.

"...I'm sorry, Hisa. I regret a lot of things about that night. But what I regret most was not believing in you."

That's that, at least. Hisa wanted to know. Now she knows.

And Ubon... how do I help her? How do I wipe those tears away and tell her it's going to be alright, and have her believe it? How can I bring peace to her heart?

It might be impossible. But some impossible things should still be confronted.

"Ubon, you said I'm kind, and that I just want to help others... but you might want to reconsider that belief; I've done some pretty horrible things. To Hisa, and to others. But if you don't hate that awful person..."

I approach the sniffling girl and hold out a handkerchief.

"I dreamed yesterday about a week where we were all friends, and then we died. It might not be possible to bring that first part back, but I'm going to do my best to make sure we can all wake up on Monday and go to class together. There are others in our class who had that same dream, and others who weren't in the dream at all... and at least some of them want to help, too. Hisa's also on the case, and you know how stubborn she is... so nobody's in this alone. It'll be alright. Um, probably."

Probably? Probably? What kind of reassurance is that, Prushka?

"Wait, n-no, definitely!" I sieze Ubon's hand and hold it tight. "It'll definitely be alright! A hundred percent! I hate lying, so you can believe it for sure! Definitely! So please don't cry!"

Ubon

"Mm... that's it."

Ubon nodded. Somehow, it still felt a bit sad, yet more than that, it almost felt proud. Proud of the two of them, and how the situation had changed. Again, Ubon wiped her eyes on her arm and sniffled, but when they could see her face once more... there was a definite smile there. Her eyes must have still been a bit moist, but that was just the aftermath. What had been about to happen was over already.

"If I'd known that... if I'd known you were scared and at your wits end, I... Prushie, I wouldn't have flown off the handle like that. That's why it's important to speak what's on our mind. How we're feeling, what we're fearing, what makes us angry. 'Cause if we don't, if we don't trust each other that much, then... then what good is it for?" Ubon said, before turning her eyes towards Hisa. "Right, Hizzie? I know it's tough, and it's not always easy... but you shouldn't be afraid to speak what's on your mind, either. For realsies. If you don't, we can't understand you, and we might make you angry or sad without meaning to."

That smile turned more gentle, more fragile, yet even stronger.

"And at least I don't wanna do stupid things like that - you guys are my friends after all. I don't wanna hurt even those I don't like on accident - it'd make me feel miserable if I did so to my friends!"

Having said her piece, Ubon lifted herself up from the bench. She dusted off her baggy pants and stretched a little bit, as if she was feeling refreshed somehow. Refreshed because people were now speaking their minds properly, instead of yelling at each other and being angry at each other due to misunderstandings, miscommunications and misinformation. When she finally assumed her usual stance, hands in her pockets and back a little slouched, she looked just the same as usual.

--- The goofy, airheaded, not so bright girl who just wanted to be friends with everyone.

"Still... huh. So that's the danger you talked 'bout, Hisa... I mean... i-it sounds like a bad dream... or a nightmare. H-honestly, I'm having a bit of a hard time believing what you guys are saying, for realsies, but..." Ubon paused for a moment, nodding to all three. "... I know you wouldn't lie to me - not about something like this. So yeah. I'm gonna believe you. Even if it sounds like a story from a book or a movie... I'll believe you. 'Cause I wanna trust you all!"

She took in the expressions around the room, and for a moment, clear worry flashed across her face.

"... I can't even imagine how you guys are feeling, looping back into something so horrible. From my point of view, this is our first week but... you guys are experiencing it again? All of it? That's... wow. I can't... I can't even guess how dreadful it must feel, for realsies..." Ubon said, her emotions clear on her face. "Still... even if it sounds like a horrible tragedy, there's something good there too, isn't there? A dream where we're all friends sounds like the best, and..."

A slightly mischievous smile spread to Ubon's face as she looked at Hisa again.

"... A time where Hizzie and Mercie were friends sounds definitely something I wanna see!"

With a slight giggle, Ubon forced her expression back to a bit more serious one once more, though now, there was a sheen of determination laid over it. Almost as if this talk, clearing the air between everyone, along with revelation of what the danger that had been alluded to really was... as if it had made her more sure of what to do now.

"Still, uh... what are we gonna do? Hizzie has a point that we're probs gonna need allies, people we can trust, but Prushie also has a point - it's gotta be done carefully. Not just spring everything on them. I mean... they might not take it in a stride like I did," Ubon said and chuckeld a bit. "Not only that, but I wanna make sure Prushie's safe too. If someone broke into her room, that's super bad. It means our dorms aren't as safe as we thought. Especially if it... if it has something to do with this whole thing you're talking about."

She rubbed her chin a bit.

"And then there's what happened to you at the Test... t-there's definitely lot of stuff to make sense. A-and I can tell you guys now, I'm super bad at complex stuff, so you're gonna need to think too!" Ubon continued. "Though, if Briggsie rigged the whole thing..."

Her eyes locked onto Prushka.

"... Does Briggsie hate you for some reason, Prushie?"

Prushka

"...I don't know."

That's the honest truth.

"There was this moment where I accidentally crashed into Briggs while jumping into the water during the beach concert... and I didn't really apologize afterwards. I didn't really give it much thought. At the time, I thought he was just another rotten adult, but... he was probably just joking around and having some harmless revenge during the test of courage. I think you called it 'teasing'? I'm not really used to being teased by grown-ups, so... I might've overreacted. If that's the case, then I might owe him an apology too..."

Vivienne Bianchi

She does not remember, by the sounds of it, thus it is most likely that Ubon has no muse of sorts. But did it matter? Most of all... was this really okay? Vivienne Bianchi does not forget, including that one time where Ubon gave Vivienne a rather... deranged look. When they had gone to that mill in the night... thus perhaps just to know, Vivienne had to ask -- the others here may already know the answer, but Vivienne wanted to hear it from Ubon herself:

"Ubon... why are you... in Road's end?"

Was it the 'official' why, or perhaps, the Turnside's version that Vivienne was asking for? She had not specified, but it was clear that she would like to know more...

"I... understand what you are saying here... I see that you mean for your friends to go along... but last time... last 'week'... you... did something that made me have a reason to be suspicious. I want to know some more about you... I can tell you more about me too... in exchange...if you'd prefer not to say anything... that is fine too..."

Was it really fine, or was this simply to keep airs of amiability and friendship even if one was not willing to divulge part of their motives here?

Hisa Momoi

"He doesn't hate you. Sure, he wanted to prank you, but...I doubt he knew anything about what was at the cabin," I answered Prushka in an attempt to clear up the confusion, "He told me about it, when we were picking locations. He said it was completely safe, but since...well, it was a cabin in the forest, and he had a myth that he made up, he said it would be the perfect place to tease you with. Besides, he can barely be considered a grown up. He's just a few years older than me."

That was all to it. Another misunderstanding, that should likely be cleared up now. Though, the question still remains about the cabin then, since Prushka certainly did not just make that up.

"The..."thief" or "criminal" is not someone you should be worried about either. We found him yesterday, and...while breaking into your room was kind of a questionable and morally wrong thing to do, he explained himself already. He is here to look for something that was stolen from them. An item that someone in the class has now, but they don't know who exactly. He is here with his sister, but they got separated when..."

Ah, right. That thing that...might not be the smartest idea to mention. But...might as well just share all the details at this rate.

"Well, they ran into some giant monster in the sewers under the school, and they broke up there. We're just trying to find said sister now, because she's likely very exhausted and hungry by now. And well...the monster is something that was already here years ago as well. Quite likely contributed to the school being closed down, as it certainly killed some students. Now it's still here, and I have a feeling that it was also what attacked Mercedes last time...so it's quite dangerous."

Of course, there were many other things to share as well, but perhaps it was better to save those for later.

Same could likely be said about Vivienne's questions. It already left me somewhat baffled with how talkative she was today, and now...She started being quite aggressive with her questions as well.

"Vivienne..." I turned to the girl, "This is not an interrogation, nor is some information trading bazaar. Can we just leave questions like that for later?"

I gestured towards the door with my head, then looked back at the group.

"The others are waiting outside, and we still had somewhere to go. I don't want to make them wait any longer, so..." I explained, "Perhaps we could save this kind of conversation for later, maybe in my room. I can give quite solid insight and proof thanks to what I can do, but...would rather not do that here."

I placed the backpack over my shoulder again, and took a step towards the door.

"In the meantime, if you have nothing better to do, I have a few leads to follow. But since I can't split myself up to be everywhere...some help would certainly be appreciated."

Ubon

"S-so it was all just a prank gone wrong, huh...? That's... that's actually pretty nice to hear. Neither Prushie, or Briggsie, were at fault... that's good," Ubon said, a relieved sigh escaping from her lips. "I mean, the janitor is a weirdo I guess, but I doubt he's an evil person, right?"

Then, as if realizing something, Ubon stopped momentarily.

"Though... what about the cabin there? Is the danger still there? And can we do something about it?" the girl continued. "I mean, that seems pretty important too, so..."

A bit of a confounded expression rose to Ubon's face as she put her hands on her hips and heaved yet another sigh - a deeper one this time.

"Yeah, we're totes gonna need more pairs of hands and eyes... for realsies. It's gonna be hard to look through it all with just a couple of us," she said. "S-still, at least we got something done just by talking to each other! I mean, if this 'thief' isn't a bad guy then... well, guess that solves Prushie's problem, sorta? Though I think we should meet him later. I mean, if he's the one who broke into her room, he should apologize to Prushie!"

And then there was one more thing.

The apparent monster in the sewers under the town.

One that had, apparently, been here for a long time.

Ubon didn't even have to mention it.

The way she was going to start, then realized what sort of topic she would drag out, and finally fell silent... it told everyone enough. Matter of monsters in the dark were not something that could be dealt with just a little talking.

"Anyways, I agree with Hizzie! We should totes split into groups to take care of what we can! Though... what can we do? I get you have some stuff planned, Hizzie, but what about us others?" Ubon turned towards Prushka and Vivienne. "Got anything on your minds for before the lessons start?"

And then, finally...

... She turned to look at Vivienne.

A troubled look on her face, one that she was trying to hide.

"And, uh... Vivie... I..."

Another sigh.

"Hizzie's right. I'd rather... rather not talk about it now. Though, lemme just say two things."

Her eyes held nothing but truth in them.

"I didn't come here 'cause I chose to. And my stuff's got nothing to do with this whole thing."

Prushka

"Oh... you found out... who it was that broke in..."

It's like a giant weight has been lifted off my back all at once. No, it's like I finally managed to stand up after being on my back all day. Basically... I feel dizzy. And relieved. But mostly dizzy.

"Thank goodness... I guess... the dorms were the right place after all... it wasn't a thief..."

"Just... a jerk that definitely owes me an apology!"

What the hell!? That's it!? Just like that!? Someone thinks they can go digging around through random people's rooms to try and steal things from them? I'm gonna give that jerk a piece of my mind!

"...it can wait though. This person, you said he had a sister he was separated from? In the sewers? Because of some monster? And she was hungry and tired?"

Could it be? It's probably a coincidence, but... sewers usually empty out into a lake, right? And what I felt from that fur definitely matches up with what Hisa's saying... no, I should make sure.

"This would-be thief... he wouldn't happen to be a redhead, would he? A particularly, uh... furry one? It's probably nothing, but... maybe."

Yeah, maybe. As for the monster...

"Otherwise, if you need to track anyone down, I can help with that. Just give me something of theirs that has a 'scent' on it. It can even just be something you know they touched. I'll be able to find out where they went, up to three days ago. If there's a monster here, we can't leave it alone."

"Though... what about the cabin there? Is the danger still there? And can we do something about it?" the girl continued. "I mean, that seems pretty important too, so..."
    Oh, right that.

Oh. Right. That.

"Aaaah! I forgot! I need to bring him food and check up on his stitches!"

Oh my god, how much time do we have?

"He's not a danger at all anymore, cus I've got his weapons! But the guy in the cabin is hurt real bad and can barely move and he's probably super hungry!!! Vivi, we need to go now or we'll be late for class!!!"

Hisa Momoi

"Well...the apology can wait for later. For now..." I said as I scratched the back of my head, "Yeah, he is...err, furry. Or rather, he is a weretiger. So is his sister. I've no idea where she could be, but...I'll have to ask him, maybe they agreed on a rendezvous location. I guess it can wait until after school anyways, and then I can fill you in on the rest as well..."

Not that I was really planning on going to class. Quite literally anything was more important than that. Sitting through a class that I already listened to once - and was already nothing new for the first time either - is not going to get me any closer to a solution.

"Stiches? A guy who is hurt?"

With eyebrows raised, I stared at Prushka for a few moments, considering what exactly to do with all this.

"I...would assume that you have absolutely no knack for medicine, ordinary or supernatural, so..."

I reached into my backpack, trying to find a certain item.

"I can't go with, since I have things to do here. But take this," I said as I threw a small, complex looking, metallic item at her, "Should be obvious what you need to do with it. Will solve your problem too."

With that done, my attention turned to Ubon.

"Well...want to come with us then? We can't really split up this way, but unless you have something else to do, coming with us would be more fun than being alone, right? There was also something that I wanted to ask, actually..."

Then, I remembered something that she mentioned earlier, back in my room.

"T-though, you did say earlier that you had something to do still. Need any help with that?"

Vivienne Bianchi

There wasn't much to say Vivienne -- she didn't have much to say seeing that Ubon was hesitant to speak about her origins, but then there was a time and place for everything and with Hisa's comment it looked like now was a bad time. The scarred girl did have a point however, seeing that a bunch of people were waiting for them and who knew if some other student could just randomly drop in on a conversation like what Ubon had just done.

"... mmm... then... let's get going..."

If this person in the cabin Prushka was at was tied with their encounter at the light house... then the value of this little expedition had just doubled.
    Last edited by Cheetose; July 31st, 2020 at 02:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi, Prushka & Vivienne Bianchi

"Aah, righto... the whole thing with Mercie distracted me, for realsies..."

Ubon let out a slightly miffed sigh and gently hit her forehead with her palm. Then, with a slightly apologetic smile, she turned towards Hisa and shrugged her shoulders in a way that pretty much said: "What can you do about it?".

"A-ah, well, I'd love to, Hizzie, but you're right. I should take care of that other thing first. S-still, we can all gather up after school, or in the evening! That is, if you guys need me then," Ubon replied. "Anyways, just catch me after class if you need anything! For now I gotta jet though! See ya later, alligators!"

And with that Ubon, having regained most of her usual energy, did a little pirouette, struck a goodbye-pose, and sprinted back into the hallway, apparently headed to wherever Ubonisms were needed at the moment.

Guess it was time to get back to work, and take care of the last few things for this morning.

Hisa Momoi

Not long after the group had separated from each other, Hisa had gathered up her retinue once more and set back towards the pool building - more specifically the office at its basement. While Pyry had been in this building and knew it more or less, and Gradient had certainly gotten a good at it last time, for Ru this was his first proper time visiting the pool. Hence it was not surprising that he kept letting out small, shocked gasps at everything and wondering just how a small school like this one could afford such a fancy facility for the use of thirty or so students.

It was, in a way, somewhat amusing to watch.

Still, soon enough, the quartet had finally made their way down the stairs to the large metal door. Pyry gave it a good, loud knock and soon enough, a lazy greeting could be heard from the inside, telling them all to come in.

And as they entered...

"O-oh, it's you dudes. G'morning. Guess... hm, guess I sorta expected you two to show up."

Jake Briggs, the eternally lazy janitor, was sitting on his chair behind the desk, lazily plucking on his guitar to create a mellow melody that fit well the overcast day outside. In front of him was the remains of his breakfast, a half-eaten burger and an empty can of coke, along with a half-open comic book (Sandman, Volume 2, #14) that he had apparently been reading... or was still reading along with his guitar-strumming.

"I mean... last night didn't exactly pan out as I expected. Guess I owe the little dudette an apology. And you guys too, since it was my pettiness that got the whole mess started," Jake said with a sigh, pausing to awkwardly scratch the back of his head. "Not exactly being the role model I was supposed to be, what with being an alumni of this place and older than you, huh..."

Ru, who had been hiding behind the back of Hisa and Pyry, cocked an eyebrow.

"This guy's older than you...?" He asked quietly, making Pyry snort.

Well, Jake was the type of person living at his own pace.

"So uh... sorry, dudes. That was completely my fault," Jake continued. "If there's a way I can make it up for you, just say the word."

Prushka & Vivienne Bianchi

A bit after separating from the rest of the group, the two girls finally laid their eyes on the place that Prushka had been sent to (with Caleb Montjoy) last night. The abandoned cabin was now lit up by the dim daylight streaming through the overcast sky... yet somehow, it still didn't look any less like from a horror film. If anything, the clear daylight giving the duo a chance to see just how run-down it was, and how much it had suffered from the weather over the year made it seem even creepier. Yet it was here they were going. For some reason.

Or rather, for a 'cat'.

Whatever that meant.

However, as they started approaching the building, both Vivienne and Prushka started hearing an odd noise echo from within the building. Something that almost sounded like stuff being thrown around (with relative lack of strength however - it mostly sounded like little things) and loud cursing that came through the second floor window. Whatever was happening, it sounded like someone was not having a good time.

And Prushka already recognized that voice.

Yeah, that darn cat was certainly not having a good time.

Elaine Winters

"Oi, get your own, Pooch."

These are the words that came from Elaine Winter's mouth upon the sight of a small, cute-looking dog looming over her meal tray, stacked high with meat, eggs and sweetbreads.

It was more like a compressed feast, a tiny buffet arrayed before some great and terrible beast by trembling, helpless villagers, sacrificed to appease a hunger that could never be assuaged.

Or something like that.

Nevertheless, when confronted with an interloper attempting to purloin some food from her, the normally friendly acting girl's expression became dour, like a growl was going to erupt from her throat.

Then, a blink, and the fierce, sudden territorial demeanor of the blonde girl faded, and she was just a hungry teenager again.

"Or at least ask nicely, 'hunting dog'."

I blinked once, twice, spearing a savory bit of ham and depositing it neatly in my mouth, tucking the tray closer to me, turning to the- the person sitting next to me, Ramia.

"Hm, runes, huh? What, this just some junk from a Tolkienite's basement or something? Cutthroat antique dealers hire a professional to pick up some hot merch?"

A sip of juice, followed by an almost unconscious dab at the lips with a napkin, a habit I couldn't seem to get rid of.

"Better off the streets, huh? What, this thing dangerous or something? Sounds like some real Maltese Falcon action you got goin' on there."

I smiled, "Maybe it's some crusty ancient bastard's phylactery or somethin, hm? Pulled from some old tomb somewhere, now you gotta track it down to prevent the unholy wrath of an ancient sorcerer from the Golden Ages or somethin'."

More of those than you'd think, really.

"Or, y'know, just some Futhark Graffiti tellin how big some guy's dick was."

Also, far too many of those.

Some of them were the same, to be honest.

Didn't get too much of a look at it, bleeding out and seconds before I got my shit pushed in unilaterally.

Looked old as hell, though.

Older, depending on the source.

Hisa Momoi

“No need to worry,” I waved dismissively in response to Jake’s worries, “It was...mostly just a misunderstanding, even if it got kind of nasty. But it wasn’t really your fault, and it’s more or less cleared up now.”

Seeing how bad he seemed to feel about it, even though he hasn’t really done anything bad made me certain that he was a good guy, if extremely goofy. Well, at least on the surface. There were still quite a few mysteries surrounding him, what with him being involved with the tragedy that happened at the school in the past.

“Prushka forgave you as well,” I continued with an encouraging smile, “Though I think she’ll say that in person soon. Just make sure to apologize to her as well.”

As Ru said, he certainly didn’t feel much older than us. But as I already figured earlier...the difference between me and him can’t have been more than just a few years. Still, the gap probably was bigger when compared to Prushka or someone like Ru.

“So really, there is nothing to make up to us for. Though...there are certainly some things you could help us with,” I said as I scratched my head, “Since as you mentioned, you’re an alumni here, and we all know how strange and mysterious both the town and the school is…”

It was hard to decide on an approach. I didn’t know that much about Jake, or if he was involved with the turnside. I didn’t know if he was, and would be trying to keep such mysteries a secret for some reason, or if he knows about them at all. And most importantly, if he could be trusted regarding this.

“We’ve seen a few things, though it’s kind of hard to make sense out of them...So I was wondering if you could tell us some about how things were here. Like...how was the last class, or why the school was closed and such.”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Having overcome the trial of his character and self control, Colt had returned to the dishes. Seconds turned to minutes, all of which counted down to the start of class. Though there was so much on his mind, his thoughts, having finally escaped Tris' assets were now only on class.

His hands robotically scrubbed dish after dish, all while he weighed his options. After the discussion with Mr Oceandrop... It felt like a craven choice to skip again. Yet time was not on his side, even if he had reason to think that he might have seemingly 'infinite' amounts of it. But where to start, what to do?

He sighed.

"What's a normal guy even do in all this?"

The sigh was one of making a decision he didn't feel was right. But no matter what he did, he'd sigh in such a way. If he'd visit Tommy tomorrow, today would be the day to talk to...

"Xylia..."

He whispered that name under his breath as he turned the sink off. The last of the water disappeared down the drain and Colt took a hand towel to dry his hands, finally turning back to see Tris doing...

Something.

The girl said something he didn't understand. Between the Turnside terminology and her own peculiar way of speaking he wasn't able to get much out of it. But then she turned to him, his eyes transfixed with the thing she was focused on.

"Tell me, Colt - hast thou met that blackguard from last night before? The more I thinketh of him, the more of an enigma he becometh..."

"You mean Hawthorn? I don't think I've ever met him... but," suddenly addressed, Colt diverted his attention from the odd tool toward Tris. "He seemed to know a lot about me."

Colt put a hand on his chin.

The things Hawthorn said...

Without thinking, Colt withdrew the locket from his pocket.

"More than just my name. He knew about Luca... About how I think. It was like he knew me." The boy flipped the locket open, his eyes tracking the compass that spun without rhyme or reason. It was like a reflection of his own lack of direction. "Knew me on a level that even I don't know myself..."

The shackle Hawthorn mentioned. It was this locket.

"This might sound crazy but I think," Colt frowned. "I sorta think he was trying to give me a nudge in the right direction."

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “So really, there is nothing to make up to us for. Though...there are certainly some things you could help us with. Since as you mentioned, you’re an alumni here, and we all know how strange and mysterious both the town and the school is… We’ve seen a few things, though it’s kind of hard to make sense out of them...So I was wondering if you could tell us some about how things were here. Like...how was the last class, or why the school was closed and such.”
    While he did look relieved when Hisa mentioned that the matter of last night had been more or less cleared up, the following question made the janitor pause for a moment. He took a good look at the face of Pyry and Hisa, before heaving a little sigh and setting his instrument aside. He made a move to take a swig from the can of cola on the table but, upon realizing it was empty, simply fetched a new one from the small fridge under the table and cracked it open. With his drink now set, the janitor decided to start on the subject asked about.

Though, as it turned out...

"Yeah, I mean, anydude with half a functioning eye can see this place is weird as heck. Got all sorts of creepy stuff to be found, along with most of the mysteries from the town. Even we figured as much when we went to school here. Though, uh, I think a bit of correction might be in order here. Dunno if you're mistaking it or something, but, uh... even back in our class, the last class, we weren't around for when this mysterious stuff actually happened. We just saw the aftermath, like you guys. Y'know - the second floor being barred up, the dormitory being inaccessible, that sorta stuff. Though back in our day, it was the whole dormitory," Jake explained. "From what I understand all that stuff happened, I dunno... twenty, thirty years ago? It's when they shut down lots of stuff from the old school, including this pool building. Unlike you lucky dudes and dudettes, we didn't have an access to this place either."

Stroking his chin, Jake directed his eyes upwards, towards the ceiling, as he recounted his memories.

"As for us, well... back in the day, there weren't lot of us. Only a handful of students, really. Ten, to be specific, and we were from all age-ranges and groups. There wasn't much point in having classes divided by year since, well, it'd have put maybe two or three students in each class, max. There was me, there was Tommy, there was Rachel, Sammie, Remmie, Nevada, and couple of others... honestly, I have hard time even remembering some of their faces. Anyways, we were one big class of mostly local kids, and we were much like you guys. We went to school, explored around Road's End, got into trouble and hijinks, engaged in some teenage drama that's pretty painful to remember these days... Yeah, it was all-in-all, normal. Back then we had different teachers of course, but even though they've left town, the old janitor's still in Road's End. She's the lady who runs the gas station these days," Jake explained. "Anyways, seven years ago, that time finally came to an end. Some of us, like me, were ready for graduation and then there was... an incident. A thing happened and it was decided that the school should be closed down and the kids should head to Seattle to finish their education - those that hadn't graduated that is."

Jake took a long sip from his cola, a slightly darker expression on his face. It was like he was remembering something he didn't exactly want to, but now that he had been asked about it, those memories came streaming back into his mind.

Finally, he talked again.

But this time, his voice was much more quiet.

"... One of the kids got lost in the woods. We went looking for him but... all we found was something horrible. In the end, we lost Remmie to those woods too and never saw her again. Sammie's never been the same since - I doubt he even knows who we are or who he is anymore. Last I heard he was moved to a psychiatric ward in Seattle. Our group of friends was dispersed and just few of us old coots remained... all bitter and burdened by what we saw. Me, Tommy, Rachel... it was hard to even stay as friends after that," Jake spoke quietly. "In fact, I think most of us just actively avoid having to deal with each other. Because to this day, we can't agree on what we saw that day."

Suddenly, Jake's darkened eyes were at Hisa.

"I don't mean to scare you, dudette, but... if you ask me..."

A long pause.

A grave silence.

And then...

"... I think we saw an actual monster back on that day."

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"Nudge thee in the right direction... as in, he hath tried to help thee in some way? To what end?"

Tris said this, sounding a bit surprised, as if the thought hadn't even come to her. And indeed, there was a good reason for that. The man that had accosted Colt last night was certainly open in his hostility towards the boy. He minced no words, and outright admitted that he wanted to hurt him - or even take his life. It was like there was a personal ire there, one that came from the differences and similarities between the two. But what did that mean?

And how did it tie to the locket in Colt's hand?

"And... what art this 'Luca' thou mentioneth? Ist that thy friend of some sort? T'art certainly a pretty name!" The blonde girl exclaimed. "Art he also the one who gaveth thee that... err, what art that, even? It seemeth like a locket but it's make art very old... extremely old, I wouldst sayeth! Art that similar to my ringwoodite charm?"

Tris presented the strange stone that she had been so occupied with previously, and Colt got a better look at the mysterious rock smoothed into an egg-like shape, with strange blue colours and a blob of water floating inside it. And that term, 'ringwoodite'... what was it again? It sounded rare enough alright. And more yet, why was the rune on the stone still glowing? Was the item doing something, or was Tris doing something to it?

The mysteries just kept growing at this point...

"Oh, it art! Though, I must sayeth... that pointer art a heck of a lot easier to use, I presumeth," Tris then commented, nodding towards the amulet in Colt's hands. "And here I thought thou sayeth that thou werest not part of the supernatural world!"

Wait.

Now that Colt looked at it...

... What?

The compass needle wasn't spinning randomly anymore.

No, it was pointing straight into a single direction.

South-East.

Hisa Momoi

“W-wait, so...half of the place was already closed back then?”

A piece of information that added another hurdle to the theory, and raised even more questions. I was quite sure that the claim was true, as he didn’t really have a reason to lie about it, but...that would mean that they likely weren’t involved in any way with what we’ve found in the dorms, or on the second floor. At the same time, Gradient seemed to be familiar with the main building, and with the message that someone who wrote there...which, according to this, was likely written way back as well. Twenty or thirty years ago…

Both her, and that monster must have been here back then as well…

But she was also “sleeping” in a pod that Colt found just last night, with all that futuristic stuff and the apparent crater that the pod left…

And she is also apparently somehow familiar with two people from around town, and maybe even Jake…

How does this all even connect? Doesn’t look like anything more than a jumbled mess, mysterious events scattered over a wide timeframe…

“So you’ve never been to the second floor of the main building, or the old dorms?”

It would explain why he just let us in there yesterday, and would clear that certain suspicion I had about him.

As Jake’s story continued, things took a much darker turn when he started telling us about his class, and how it came to an end. But before I really had time to apologize for bringing a likely painful topic up, the mention of a monster came.

“I’ll...I’ll have to ruin the whole scary story night - or morning - atmosphere, since I’m quite desensitized when it comes to monsters...But still...are you talking about the Disembodied Man? I’ve heard that it is a being that lurks around these woods, and heard about some of the incidents as well, though...I think the last one I know about is the one that happened in 1960.”

Neither the date nor the circumstances really align with this case, which might just mean that it’s not something that Carrie, or most other people know about, or perhaps...it was something other than the Disembodied Man.

“Or was it something else?”

As my focus on Jake momentarily dwindled, I realized that this whole time Gradient has been clinging into my back, almost as if she was hiding.

While the Janitor was seemingly collecting his thoughts, I twisted my body slightly so that I could pat her head.

“H-hey, there’s no need to hide,” I said very quietly, hoping that only Gradient would hear, “Does he look familiar? I think he might have been here back then as well.”