Page 156 of 244 FirstFirst ... 56106146151154155156157158161166206 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,120 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Phase: School Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994
    Weather: Overcast

Prushka

Right after first period, while everyone (who bothered to show up to class) is chatting as they pack up their books and spread out into the halls, Hisa Momoi feels a tap on her shoulder.

"Hey," says Prushka, in a tone several levels quieter than her usual. "Um, do you have a minute? That thing you lent me... um, it worked."

The time between classes is short, but long enough to allow for a quick conversation or a visit to the washroom.

Hisa Momoi

Spinning a pen on my fingers, my unfocused eyes stared into the distance. From the outside, it might have looked as if I was just daydreaming or something - but I guess that was in fact relatively close to the truth. At the very least, I was certainly lost in my thoughts, thinking about the discussion with Elise from earlier, while at the same time trying to organize all the new information that I just dumped into my memory.

That, until a tap on my shoulder momentarily interrupted my thoughts.

Of course. It was her.

"Sure, I have a minute," I replied somewhat absentmindedly, "Hope you didn't break it though? It's not really something that I can just buy from the corner store."

She was talking about the syringe, I guessed. And while I had a few more, I certainly would have been angry if I were to do with one less.

"Who was this person anyways? I was eager to help, but I hope I didn't end up healing someone who would later end up trying to...well, not be so nice to us."

Prushka

"It's not broken. At least, I don't think it is. And he's, uh... well, he's from out of town. Looks sorta like Pyry. He's a bit prickly, and definitely dangerous, but I think he's nice... probably. I'm gonna visit him again when I get the chance."

Prushka doesn't sound too sure about that last part. She glances around, to make sure there's no one near this particular stretch of hall. She shifts, and one of her shoes makes a wet squelching noise, squeaking against the polished floors.

Prushka withdraws the empty syringe from her bag and holds it out for Hisa to take.

"The corner store might have one, you never know."

Is that a joke? Her attempt at an ice breaker? With how subdued the small girl sounds compared to her normal self, she could be absolutely serious.

"I'll be riding down there to grab a few things during lunch, so if you want anything..."

Hisa Momoi

I did know. I could have told her what sort of a rare thing it was, but...she was probably just trying to joke. It would have been unfair of me to be annoyed with her already when she has not even tried to be annoying yet.

"I was planning to go there after school as well," I replied as I finally looked at the smaller girl, "But I since I don't know what they sell, I can't really tell what I could need. I just know that you can get a sort of a guidebook to the town there that could probably be interesting. Should have some of the town's less known locations in it. You should get it too."

Well, I didn't really know how useful it was going to be yet. I was yet to read it as well, but...it would certainly worth what little money it could cost.

As the girl pulls the syringe out of her bag and extends it towards me, I grab it and drop it into my own bag after giving it a brief look.

"Still...that doesn't sound too convincing. You should know by now how dangerous things can be around here, so...just be careful with him then. Don't go trusting a complete stranger who could intentionally put you in danger too."

I was one to give such advice, really.

Maybe I should be more careful too...

Not even sure when that changed.

"Especially when he is someone who gets injured like that and ends up hiding in some abandoned shack. Sounds...rather shady."

Having finished the thought, I gesture towards Prushka's shoes with my head;

"How did you even get wet? It will only be raining tomorrow."

Prushka

"A guidebook, to a small town like this...?"

Prushka blinks. Clearly she's never even considered such a thing. Perhaps she thought the small pamphlets handed out by the school were all the 'guidebook' they would ever need.

"I'll ask about one, then. Was just thinking of grabbing some food for later. Y'know, snacks, TV-dinners, the kinda stuff you'd find at any gas station or corner store."

"Still...that doesn't sound too convincing. You should know by now how dangerous things can be around here, so...just be careful with him then. Don't go trusting a complete stranger who could intentionally put you in danger too."
    "..."

The small girl blankly stares at the taller one for a moment, and then...

"Thanks, Hisa."

Shows a small, brief smile.

"He's the type to keep to himself, so I don't think he's dangerous. At least not to strangers. He said he got into a fight with this... 'Knightmare' thing. Some sort of conceptual knight that can't lose to anything. So, um, you be careful too."

"How did you even get wet? It will only be raining tomorrow."
    "Oh, this?"

Prushka taps her shoe on the ground. It squeaks. She's not wearing a sock on that foot.

"It'd be a shame if Briggs' prank went to waste, since he put all that work into it. Turns out reading lots of mysteries makes you pretty good at setting up scares."

Prushka refocuses after staring wistfully at the small puddle left behind beneath her shoe, realizing belatedly that Jake might have to clean up his own mess. Then she shrugs to herself and moves on.

"I don't know what I'll be doing after school. That person you mentioned, who was looking for his sister... I'm pretty sure she's the one Vivi and the others ran into at the Lighthouse last night, going by the feelings I felt on that clump of fur. So I might head there. But also... have you seen any people in town with only one eye? They might be..."

She pauses, looks around again.

"Marked. By a monster from our dreams."

Hisa Momoi

"Y-yeah, right, TV dinners," I nodded, pretending that I knew how obvious that was, "Well, it would be nice to see things with my own eyes anyways, since I don't really know if I have any preferances."

I didn't want to admit that I wasn't even sure what a TV dinner was. And while I knew about snacks...I was only aware of a very few brands and had no idea if any of those would be available here in the first place.

It wasn't my fault anyways that books and fae and any sort of supernatural business didn't teach me pointless everday things.

In the meantime, a small puddle forms under Prushka's shoe as she taps it against the floor, something that I could only watch with my eyebrows raised. Is she really planning on walking around like that for the whole day?

"He apologized, by the way," I spoke up as Prushka was blankly staring at her own feet, "Though I told him he should do that in person too. So expect that he'll be looking for you, I suppose."

Prushka's mention of one eyed people and a 'monster from our dreams' made me frown a bit. I couldn't tell if she was trying to sound dramatic or foreboding as if she was telling some sort of a horror story, but...Just like I told Jake before, I'm desensitized to that sort of stuff.

"You mean the monster in the forest of dreams where Muse is too?" I asked, automatically assuming that it must have been what she meant, "You know anything about it?"

I probably should inquire more about it from Muse too, now that I think about it.

"But well, people with one eye, well..." I scratched my cheek as I thought about the people I've met so far, "I can only think of Souma, that crazy woman we met in the forest, and...Billie, the owner of the bar."

"I met her last week, and was actually planning on talking to her again tonight," I added, "But how can you tell that she is marked, anyways?"

I wasn't sure wat this was about.

"As for Ru's sister...I'm not sure if there is a point looking for her. She could be anywhere, but at the same time, Ru said that she should eventually come back to the school. Hopefully soon. I think there are more important things to worry about, anyways."

Prushka

"Hehe. Hisa, that was a joke. TV dinners are sorta like MREs. Humans eat them while sitting on their armchairs, watching a show about unfunny New York comedians or something."

Then Prushka blushes.

"Or, um, if they don't cook."

Well, it's not like she can't cook. It's all science, easy enough to grasp. It's just, most humans are too picky. They won't eat snakes or frogs stick grilled on a stick over a campfire with no more seasoning than a sprinkle of sea salt.

"Briggs really said sorry, huh...? It's hard to trust grown-ups, especially the teachers, but... I'll try to talk to him. Thanks. I wonder why Angelica said we should've questioned him, though..."

Prushka doesn't seem like she knows how to take that information. Perhaps she hasn't had many people apologizing to her before. Or she doesn't expect such a thing from an adult, even one as childish as Jake Briggs.

"About the monster - she's real. She wears an eyepatch, and she's called Dot. On Sunday, she-." Prushka shudders. She places a hand over one of her eyes. "...I spoke to Muse last night. She thinks Dot has marked others in town the same way. So anyone in town who's missing an eye might bear that mark. The more people with it, the stronger she'll get, until... well, whatever it is, it can't be good. I don't know if I can detect the mark, but if it's anything like a curse, it'll be a nexus of negative emotions. Just asking about it should pull out those feelings. And then... well, I should be able to blow them away."

Her hand falls to her side.

"Fyrtio's one possibility. That Billie person is another. And then there's the one-eyed man Angelica told us about. I don't know if it's worth looking for, but... if you meet anyone missing an eye, ask them how they lost it. If it happened in a dream."

She trails off. Then refocuses her gaze.

"If Ru's fine, then... I dunno what to do. Maybe talk to the others who remember and wanna help. Lucille, John, Liana..."

Is... is she asking for advice?

Hisa Momoi

"I...like cooking," I replied to the small girl's explanation, "in fact, I prefer to cook my own food. And the dorms seems to have an endless supply of ingredients, so...not really an issue."

Prushka's mention of Angelica and her warning earned a small sigh from me as I scratched the back of my head.

"I think she referred to the old janitor, not him. While Jake knows some things...he was only a kid when the incident in the school happened," I explained, "Wouldn't really be surprised if there was a small twist like that, considering how cryptic the rest of her suggestions were too. But...already found out who that person is, so will try to talk to them as soon as possible."

The topic changes, and I found myself frowning yet again.

"What do you mean? Did it mark you as well?" I asked, not entirely sure what she meant with that gesture, "And...I figured it was real, but is it a person then? What is it trying to achieve? Plant spies within us?"

Hearing how she was at loss for what to do made me sigh again. This wasn't really the time to feel uncertain or to just goof around, and...was that implying that she had absolutely no plans at all?

Yet...I can't just tell her what to do, can I?

"Well, did you not find out anything 'last' week that you could follow?" I spoke up finally, "I was meant to ask about that anyways, since you went to the hotel, but...I guess things went south before that."

"Other than that, I guess I could fill you in on certain things to give you something to occupy yourself with, but would you really be satisfied with that?" I asked with a troubled look, "We don't exactly seem to get along, and I don't want everything to just break down into arguing and hindering each other. That's not really helping either of us."

Prushka

"I won't argue with you," is Prushka's immediate response. "Making sure everyone makes it to Monday is more important than anything else. That's what you're aiming for, so I won't get in your way. Just because we had trouble getting along, doesn't mean we can't get along now."

She scratches the back of her head, looking less comfortable by the moment.

"The mark - it's probably gone. My eye came back, after all. Apparently if Dot's presence in the real world grows too strong, she might be able to manifest, or something like that... I don't know her goals either, but they can't be any good."

"And of course there are things I can look into, but..." Prushka trails off, trying to figure out how to explain.

"There's a poem Muse gave me, with her 'divining', about talking to the one who sees the lighthouse' caretaker, but that's just about my brother, who I came here looking for. Going after that when we've got this mess on our plates would just be selfish. And what happened to Elizaveta... on Friday I was going to go read up in the Owl's Nest library about old cosmonauts, before something else popped up. I didn't end up finding out anything. Just that Alex needs a friend, and Road's End has more skeletons in its closet than a bad soap opera. Then there's Xylia, and everyone else, and the guy in the cabin, and Fyrtio, and Mr. Currumpaw, but... what's the point? That doesn't matter now that we've got a time limit. None of those leads help solve the immediate problem. They don't keep us alive."

For a moment, Prushka looks troubled as well. Tired, and spent. And more than a bit lost and confused.

"I have no idea what to do. And when you don't know what to do, the best thing is to talk it over with people to figure it out. I don't know, so... I might as well help someone who does."

Prushka looks up at Hisa, unsure.

"You know what we're supposed to do, right?"

Hisa Momoi

"I...wouldn't say that I know what to do to avert the tragedy. I wish I did, but the solution is so far out of my reach that I can't even see the beginning of it."

It was the sad truth, but there was no point lying about it.

"All I can do is to hold onto whatever seemingly meaningless leads or clues I can find, and hope that they will somehow shed some light to what is going on here."

I scratched my head, somewhat unsure where to even start.

"Which is to say...there are way too many of those leads, but they are barely anything concrete, and don't really seem related. On one hand, there is a whole lot of research that would need to be done, but on the other...I also directly want to look into quite a few things. It's not really easy to decide what to start with and what places would be worth going to, but...I'm trying."

Deep in thoughts, I just quietly stared at the girl for a few moments. Unable to really come to a conclusion though, I ended up speaking up again.

"I guess it depends on what exactly you'd be comfortable with. There's the safe way with just reading up on certain things, or...maybe talking to certain people. Or, what's apparently a lot more dangerous around here, is to try and seek things out t their root."

"Like going to the mill again," I added as clarification, "Or exploring the sewers below the school."

Prushka

"I see... so you're not sure either... you're just doing what you can..."

Prushka is quiet for several seconds, the nearby clock ticking onwards, counting each one. She stares at the floor, at the tiles, at the spreading puddle of water, at her hands.

She had hoped to find someone to make a decision for her, but it was an unreasonable hope from the start. Hisa Momoi is not some kind of superhuman that can magically know the right thing to do. She is just as lost as anyone else.

The next class is going to begin soon. Unless they get going, they'll be late.

Maybe it's that realization, the similarity between being late for class and being late for everyone's seemingly inevitable demise, that drives the smaller girl to grit her teeth, look up at Hisa, and...

"Then I'll do what I can, too."

Give the taller girl an all-too-cheesy thumbs up.

"If it's what we need to do, going to dangerous places or out at night is fine. So long as we're not putting anyone uninvolved in danger. I'm good at tracking people, if you need help like that. So if you want to go somewhere... I can come with you. We did promise, right?"

Prushka picks up her nearby bag and throws it over her shoulders, takes a few steps towards the door, and turns back to look at Hisa.

"There are at least half a dozen others here just as lost and confused as we are, reaching out towards their own leads. So if nothing else... I'll look at what they've come up with. Maybe everyone has their own piece of the puzzle, and it'll only come together if we do."

She pauses, and then...

"So you don't have to put it together on your own, either."

Hisa Momoi

"Maybe...but I'm quite sure that most people are busy with their own stuff," I said as I rubbed my chin, "besides, I don't trust everyone all that much, especially not enough to drag them into more personal cases like Angelica's."

If I were to be honest to myself, even the few people that do know about her only do so because of that 'incident'. Was it not for that...I'm not sure if I would have told most of them about it.

"Either way, as I said, there are quite a few things to do. I was planning on talking to Billie and Carrie at the bar, but if I want to do that in private...then I'd probably have to go in the morning when most people wouldn't even think about going drinking. Billie was the old janitor of the school, and she should be aware of quite a few things that happened here, even if she mostly wants to say quiet about those. Still, she is quite a pleasant person, so it would be nice to talk to her in general."

"Well, I guess there's also that thing you mentioned with the missing eyes," I added, "Though not really sure where to go with that. Then there is Carrie...she wrote the song called The Poet and His Muse...But I think it's a lot more relevant to what is going on here than one would guess. She also knows a lot about the rumours around town, like the McLampets, and she has a girl's diary who encountered the Disembodied Man at some point."

A shame that I never had the chance to meet her again after that one time.

I felt like we made a good first impression on each other, but now they likely won't remember, so...

Just how different will things be this time, now that the circumstances are wholly different too?

"That would be two birds with one stone. Though...of course, the bar might be worth visiting during peak times too. Can never know what kind of people go there and what kind of stories they have."

Of course, there's a lot less guarantee for that than just talking to Billie and Carrie.

"The next best thing is the hotel. It's the place where most strangers stay. Like Rosencrantz, some guy whose letter I received...and maybe even Angelica stayed there at some point. It also has the library, which could be a literal gold mine depending on how much stuff it has about the local history. Not to mention that it apparently had some weird books about the russian cosmonauts as well...hence why it was the other place I wanted to visit today."

Crossing my arms in front of my chest, I followed the other girl with my eyes as she grabbed her bag and took a few steps.

"Though...everyone going to the same place is probably not very effective, so...if you really want to help, talking to some of our other classmates would probably be nice. Then can always just decide where to go or who to talk to later...I mean, I've at least a dozen places and people I'd want to check, so we aren't exactly short on that."

Prushka

"The Disembodied Man..."

That name is familiar. It's the third time now.

"John said... he said he met it, before everything faded to black. It claimed to be behind everything. According to him, it said: ‘We failed to protect something’. It said this will never end unless we ‘recollect our crime’. By this, he probably means that timeloop Muse rescued our memories from...

The words are still chilling to her. But they're something.

"...one of the options is reading up on the Disembodied Man, or the McLampets. They might be linked. Elizaveta's disappearance could also be related to the cosmonaut book. But if you're planning on doing that yourself, I have something that'll help with researching. I might be able to put it in one of those syringes, since our abilities are similar."

Besides that, Prushka ponders on the first thing Hisa mentioned, about not being able to trust others so easily.

"You should talk to John or Liana. They're both nice people. I'm sure of it. John wants to see Monday, together with everyone. And anyone who has seen Muse is surely in the same boat as us. We won't get anywhere alone."

Prushka is firm on it. Clearly she thinks highly of the two others. Or she just trusts in Muse' judgment absolutely.

"The guy in the cabin mentioned someone at the gas station with one eye, but... I can't really get into a bar, looking like this. So please ask if you see her. I'm planning on talking to Lucille after this, since she also remembers. How about you talk to John and see what he's doing, then we can catch up after school and then decide what to do then?"

Hisa Momoi

"Yeah, John told me about that as well," I nodded, "Not that it exactly sheds light to anything. Nor does some evil freaky monster telling us to 'recollect our crimes'. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me."

To begin with, I wouldn't even be able to tell what exactly this 'crime' was. Even if my life depended on it, I couldn't even take a guess.

"And while those are the most obvious topics, they are hardly the only ones that would be worth looking into. Anything related to the town's history, and its myth would be helpful," I expanded upon Prushka's suggestion, "Also dreams. Finding someone or something that could help to learn more about dreams would be a big deal. Without that, we're pretty much just walking around blindly in Muse's forest."

I frowned slightly as Prushka mentioned two names, and how fast she was to draw conclusions and claim them to be nice people.

"Can't say that my first impression of Liana is exactly good...but I'm not surprised, she is sorta like you, so you'd naturally like her."

Guess that's also the reason why they both tick me off in a way...though Prushka was still likely the better out of the two.

"And John...I think he has his own things to take care of. Besides, I can tell that he isn't exactly fond of me, so I see no reason to bother him," I continued, "Besides...just because someone remembers the alternate histories just like us, it doesn't automatically make them good people. Remember that white haired woman who would have tried killing all of us. Or the person who actually killed me."

Thinking about that guy, and the experience in general was still enough to sour my mood.

"Either way, I'm hardly alone. I've already put my trust in more people than I would have imagined, but...by no means I'm going to attempt to solve everyone's issues and rely on all the people I barely even know."

Of course, I could hardly convince Prushka that blindly trusting anyone and anything was just naive - I already learned that she was too stubborn and that she would only learn the lesson the hard way.

"That must be Billie, the owner of the gas station," I clarified for the smaller girl, "At any rate, I suppose you already know what happened here on sunday then? Do you know about the girl hiding on the second floor of the main building too?"

Prushka

"Let's talk while we walk. Or we're gonna be late."

It takes Prushka a few moments to formulate a reply, but when she does, her responses are curt and to the point. She glances about the halls, making sure not to speak while within earshot of others.

"The town's history... I'm not too keen on digging into Road's End's past, but it's not like we can pretend the Disembodied Man isn't linked to it somehow," Prushka grumbles. "Apparently the McLampets or whatever have had some bad luck here. Last week we... read a journal about it. And we'll definitely need someone who knows their way around dreams if we want to take the fight to Dot. But for now I'll settle for kicking her out of the waking world."

"Can't say that my first impression of Liana is exactly good...but I'm not surprised, she is sorta like you, so you'd naturally like her."
    Prushka snorts, amused.

"Like me?" she murmurs. "Please. How are we anything like each other? She's awful. The worst humanity has to offer. I couldn't stand her at first. That shoddy big sister routine of hers wouldn't even pass in a wrestling ring, and her constant fake cheer is infuriating. At least you're usually upfront about things, even when you're being aloof. But she's the kind of person who'll smile regardless of how happy or sad she actually is. Like she's just playing a role. Treating reality, treating people's feelings like some kind of play - it's gross."

Calmly, slowly, Prushka spews the harshest insults Hisa has ever heard from her, barring last night. From the sound of it, she most definitely does not naturally like Liana Skye. But then the small girl pauses half a step, and when she continues...

"But Lia's a good person. I'm sure of it. It may be an act, but it's a serious act she's putting all her feelings into. And those feelings of hers, when we sang together... those were real. Lia cares. I trust Muse, so... I'll trust those she trusts, too."

Prushka looks at Hisa and shrugs.

"Desperate times, right?"

Yes, it's not like Prushka is naively putting her trust into random people. Rather... it's a desperate trust. The trust born of a belief that the only choices are to either trust or die. The sort of belief that would lead to her decidedly un-subtle cry for aid at the beach concert.

Or maybe she really does trust them. Prushka does seem to jump to conclusions about people quickly, owing perhaps to her ironclad belief in 'feelings'. Once her mind is made up, it's difficult to change... which speaks volumes of Liana Skye's perseverance, to now be trusted by a girl who had hated her from the start.

"And John... I can't get a read on him. He's a jerk, but he's a good guy. Nobody who does good things while letting others think he's a villain can be a bad person. A dumb one maybe, but not a bad one."

Similarly, Prushka offers her usual mix of contradictory praise and criticism for John Dove.

"We have to save everyone," she mutters. "Or at least, we have to try. But... trying to save just the people you care about isn't wrong either. That's doing your best, too."

However, when Hisa begins to talk of the way she died, and of a girl on the second floor... Prushka becomes quiet, until the taller girl is done speaking.

"...I don't know what happened on Sunday. I only heard a little from Lucille. You're saying there's a girl on the second floor...? And you... how did you...?"

She trails off.

There might not really be any rules for it written into stone, but... asking someone how they were killed must surely be impolite.

Hisa Momoi

"They are related. Quite closely, actually," I answered Prushka, "I know of quite a few cases already. The McLampets, the boy at the lighthouse, Avery, the Mitchells...A man in a black suit came up in all these cases."

I took a few steps to catch up to Prushka, then carefully looked around to see if anyone else was listening.

"It's him, and another monster who seem to be the most prominent when it comes to the tragedies of the town. The other thing...I'm not sure what it is, but it's some giant colossus with insane physical strength and the ability to liquefy things. I think it was the thing that liquefied the hearts of two of the McLampets...And it's also responsible for both incidents that happened in this school in the past. Not to mention...that it's here, even now. Ru and his sister ran into it in the sewers yesterday - that's why they had to split up. I think it also might be what...killed Xylia last time."

Most certainly was probably the right term here, instead of might be.

"Well, you both have a weird sense of justice and morality," I said with carefully measured words in response, "and you both seem to be very stubborn and pushy about it. Like your sentiment about people and their emotions. Constantly bothering people with that is just...vexing, but I already explained that earlier. Or the constant lecturing of people. Similarly...Liana with her big sister play, the 'hero' routine, and how she seems to have the need to lecture everyone about what's right and what's wrong...I'd say you're similar in a sense, even if there are differences as well."

I might have been just a bit too harsh - but there wasn't really any point beating around the bush.

"Either way, good or not, I could hardly tolerate someone calling themselves a hero with a serious face. It reeks of hypocrisy."

After Liana, Prushka said a few words about John as well - words that might have been true, but didn't really change anything. I wasn't really doubting i the first place that they might have been good people - what I was doubting was my ability to cooperate with them.

But...next came some words that made me frown.

"Did you already forget what Angelica said? How it's insane and arrogant to claim that we can help others, when we can't even help ourselves?"

Maybe she did. Maybe she just wanted to forget about it.

"She was right. It's insane. While I would love to save everyone as well...I've neither the time nor the power for it. I'll try my best...but I won't delude myself with impossible things. I can't be the delusional hero figure like Liana."

The topic shifted to the events of sunday, and I couldn't belp but be surprised by the fact that Prushka still only knew little about it. I would have expected that by now she pulled everything out of someone, especially since she already talked to Lucille about it.

"She is...a weird one. Almost like a hidden classmate that we have. She has all our study books, and somehow she seemed to have followed our classes, as she had markings in them. She...died on sunday. That is how I discovered her camp in the library on the second floor."

Even now, she is probably there taking notes, or perhaps preparing for the next class.

"But even beside her, the second floor is probably worth taking a look into. It holds the remains of the first incident that happened in the school, and the library might have some useful books that you can't find elsewhere."

Of course, another topic came up as well. A topic that still made me feel uncomfortable, and I much rather would have avoided talking about it, but...there was a point to talking about it as well.

Though...perhaps not right now.

"About the other thing...I guess I can show you later. But...it's not really something that can be crammed into a short break between classes...not because of the amount of time, nor because of its contents."

Prushka

In the end, everything links back to the Disembodied Man. The threads seem to converge upon him. The McLampets, the lighthouse ghost, and... even the Mitchells? Some sort of being that precipitates tragedy and takes credit for it is the cause of it all.

"...the Grinning Monster, from the story of the Keeper and the Sailor, too... maybe that's a blessing. If all the leads converge on one culprit, we can pull on whichever one we want. Before the Disembodied Man turns the Oceandrop Program into the next Road's End tragedy. Maybe I should go to the lighthouse after all and try to talk to that ghost again-."

Prushka pauses at the mention of a monster that can liquefy things. She opens her mouth. Her brows furrow, and... she says nothing as Hisa continues to explain the monster's appearance and deeds.

"Sounds like what attacked that family way back," she offers up as she bites her thumb in frustration. "I talked to Xylia about it. She said that counselor - Sae Min - keeps newspaper clippings of incidents like that in her office. Of course the faculty would be in on it. They're the one part that doesn't fit here. We don't know anything about the Oceandrop program. It might be worth looking into them, but..." Her face falls. "...I was never good at that subterfuge stuff."

Prushka continues to be silent, as Hisa expounds on her similarity to Liana Skye. She is silent, but... a pout, followed by an embarassed blush, appear on her face. She purses her lips begins to shake like a boiling tea kettle as she is methodically criticized and compared to a fake hero, and when Hisa is done...

"Haaaaaah..."

All the pent-up tension is released as a sigh rather than a yell.

"...I'm not gonna stop telling people they're wrong if they're wrong," Prushka says. "Sometimes it's right to be bothersome, to be pushy, to listen to feelings instead of their words. But... I'm trying to be nicer about it."

Maybe that's regression. Maybe it's progress? Whatever the case, it's something.

"And I know what Angelica said. But I also know... those like her, who treat time differently, are a bit wonky in the head. You can listen to them, you can try to understand them, but you can't treat them like all-knowing gods. They're just people in the end. People who are trying not to break from awareness they never asked for. I mean, it's not like she gave us the answers outright, even though she could've. There must been a reason for that. So don't try to tailor all your behaviour around her."

Angelica was close to Hisa in the past, right? Perhaps she knows more about the strange woman than Prushka could ever hope to. But the smaller girl sticking to guns.

"It's alright, Hisa. You do your best and I'll do mine. I can be insane enough for the both of us. Saving everyone might be impossible with just one of us, but if we all work togther... it's not just a crazy dream. Now, that hidden classmate you're talking about..."

Prushka scratches her head.

"Why don't we just talk to her? If we know where her base is there's no reason to delay. She might just be the shy type that hides from people out of habit. For those sorts that'll one billion percent never open up on thier own, pushiness is the best option."

Hisa Momoi

"Didn't the straightforward approach just fail last time?" I asked as Prushka mentioned the ghost at the lighthouse, "I mean, things could maybe go different, but...learning more about them, or finding someone they know."

I rubbed my chin, as a vague idea about the nature if this ghost started forming in my mind.

"According to my...'informant', there was an incident in 1960 when a 14 years old boy jumped off the top of the lighthouse. He had a friend, a girl who wrote a diary about it. Supposedly, she saw a man in a black suit who mocked her, and told her that he would take her friend away. After that, she would see nightmares of a starless crimson sky, and a few days later the incident happened. I'd say that...it's a possibility that it's the ghost of that boy. Which would also mean...that the girl should be around 48 years old by now. Not sure how many people fit that criteria...but at the very least, there's always the diary that you can read."

In a sense, probably easier to find than some random old woman.

"There might be other people who know about him, too. I know for one that Rachel went to school with Jake. If someone would make such a discovery, it would likely be a young, adventurous kid," I mused on, "Well...I think they had another girl in the class as well, but she is not around anymore so that hardly helps."

Of course, adults could be accounted for as well, but...what adult goes exploring random locations, let alone try to get to know a ghost there?

"Either way, just remember not to go there at night."

Once again, the topic of the faculty comes up - something that's still mostly a mystery to me.

"It's quite likely that they know about a lot of things. But it's also likely that there is a good reason why they are not telling about it. Maybe it would be okay to ask them about it...but it could be dangerous as well. Who knows."

I could only respond to Prushka's explanation about her behaviour with a shrug. I wasn't here to lecture her about things that I may or may not be right about. I've already done enough of that for now - and in a sense, doing so was just as hypocritical of me as well. Still...much as I decided to stay calm, the next thing she said was still enough to overthrow that stand.

"Don't call Angelica wonky in the head," I said in a much colder tone as I rubbed my temple, "And don't assume that I'm treating her like some god. Yet, she is my dearest sister and she is the reason why I can be here, and be the person I am. Her opinion matters a lot to me."

A moment of silence, then a deep sigh - and my mood was back to normal.

"I'm not sure what her reason for giving such vague hints might be...but her advice about trying to take care of ourselves first was quite clear, and something I agree with now. Still, while I can't share the naive optimism...I too hope that in the end, everyone will get their happy end."

Much as that seems absolutely impossible right now.

"That ties back into what I just said as well," I scratched my head as the mysterious girl was mentioned, "I can only be at so many places, and it's not even the only thing that I have to neglect for now. Though...the second floor is one of the things I'm more interested in. So...maybe tomorrow."

Prushka

"Yeah, I talked to Rachel a bit."

They turn a corner. Their classroom is approaching, and with it the end to their conversation.

"She gave me a few tips. The ghost is shy, and he likes TV-dinners... and I think I can get through to him. No, I have to. If what you're saying is true, he's a victim too. The only lady that old I can think of is Avery. Maybe he'd like one of her pies. There was this song, and... no time to say it here. If it doesn't work, I'll go to Rachel next. But why not at night? Is there something there?"

"Don't call Angelica wonky in the head."
    "Ah... sorry. Maybe that wasn't the best word to use. I meant more that... those who touch time are to us what we are to normal people. Not in the sense of whether we're human or not, but more like... they see the world in a way we can't really understand. That's what it means to have a sixth sense."

Prushka stares off into the distance.

"I have a little brother. Well, I say little but we're the same age. He's sort of like a seer. When he sleeps, he dreams of what'll happen the next day. Sometimes he can change it, but sometimes he can't. What that means is, he'll wake up in the middle of night crying, because he didn't just have a vision of something horrible; to him, what he saw was as real as what we see. Whenever that happens, we can't do anything but cry with him. Other times he'll answer a question nobody asked, or get angry for reasons we don't understand. We do our best, but... it's not easy for anyone to bridge those differences. It's never easy. When Angelica said it's always raining some other day... to her, that might mean it's always raining, and nobody else can see it. That's the sort of world she must live in. I imagine it's a lonely one, where all any of us can do is hope."

Not long now.

Prushka looks up at Hisa. Her expression is a sad one.

"...I'll ask Ubon where she wants to go. Nowhere dangerous, promise. If not... tomorrow sounds good. But Monday sounds even better, right?"

Hisa Momoi

"You're jumping to conclusions," I said as I shook my head, "She could very well just be like us, except that she experienced the loop many times already. No need to assume that she got involved in some separate event that severed her from time and space or something."

Again, getting sentimental and talking about people being different...

It will never stop, will it?

"I'm not sure what's at the lighthouse," I answered, "Supposedly something that shoots to kill before asking questions. Probably just another asshole."

Even if it could be something interesting, I hardly had any reason to go to the lighthouse, as it seemed to be unrelated to the already dozens of other clues I found to different places and people.

As the topic changes, Prushka mentions taking Ubon with her.

Of course - it's already decided, just like that.

I guess after yesterday it was inevitable, but hopefully she'll spare her of the whole sentiment about being true to your emotions.

Guess that also means that I won't get to talk to Ubon until much later. Today is coming along just great.

"Sure." I nodded curtly, as my attention turned towards the classroom's door and the upcoming class.

Prushka

"Hah... yeah, you're right. Jumping to conclusions. I've gotta stop doing that..."

For once, there's no pushback. Hisa is the one who knows Angelica best.

"Something that shoots to kill though... thanks for the warning. I'll look for any traces."

As the topic changes, the classroom approaches, and the expression on Hisa's face changes, Prushka realizes she's once again said the wrong thing.

"I m-mean, I just wanna talk to her about yesterday and this morning, but, it's not like - I mean, she might have plans of her own-."

Whatever she wanted to say is cut off as they step into hearing range of the others, seconds away from the next class.

"...good luck."

All that's left to say now are parting words.

Hisa Momoi
    Phase: Evening Phase

With the classes finally over, it was time to be productive once more - just had to decide where to start. There were at least a few people I wanted to talk to, but it was for certain that they weren’t all going to be at the same place unfortunately, so…

Well, I guess I could just see if Ubon wants to tag along first, and then seek out Pyry as well.

Dropping off the unnecessary things from class, and packing up the more important things into my bag, I set off to the pool in hope of finding Ubon there. I could already tell that it was going to be a busy afternoon, and there was hardly time to waste.
    Last edited by Cheetose; September 4th, 2020 at 01:17 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Phase: School Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)

The bell rings. The students - those of them that showed up to class at least - file away to their next destination. There will be a few minutes before the next class starts. Enough for a quick chat or a trip to the washroom. Amid the low murmuring of after-school plans and chatting about the lesson they’d just finished, is the sound of one girl standing on her tip-toes to just barely reach high enough to tap another on the shoulder.

Tap. Tap.

“H-hey,” Prushka asks Lucille. “Um. Got a minute?”

“A-ah, yes.”

The sudden contact makes Lucille flinch in surprise. Her mind had been terribly absent since this morning, the desire to pour over Remington’s guide to Road’s End only barely held in check by the necessity to appear as a normal student. Her mind is filled with thoughts of what could be and what exactly she can do. But it hardly matters.

If someone asks, she will always make time for them.

“Something the matter?”

Prushka pauses, as if trying to ascertain something in Lucille’s reaction… before continuing on. One of her shoes squeaks and squelches against the polished floor as she shifts.

“I wanted to say sorry for last night. I… talked to Hisa and Ubon, sorted it out.”

In a way, it is to be expected. After all, Lucille had participated in planning the test of courage, and offered up prizes for it. But then Prushka continues, and it becomes clear it’s not just about that.

“The person who broke in… well, I was right about that, at least. He was in the dorms. But Hisa says it was a misunderstanding, and he’s not bad. So, um, nothing to worry about there.”

Twiddling her thumbs, Prushka continues.

“I also talked to John and Liana… and they’ve talked to Muse.”

“A misunderstanding, huh…” For some reason, Lucille is not sure if she should take those words at face value. It seems like such an easy way to brush things off, but presumably Hisa has everyone’s best interests in mind. “It’s good that you apologized, though.”

It’s a relief to know that everything has sorted itself out, without her meddling. Her track record has been rather poor, lately, so anything good that happens without her influence is one less thing to worry about.

“I learned about John in a conversation prior, but Liana as well? I suppose I should talk to her then, at some point.” Lucille says those words, but she doesn't know if she has the time to follow up. “Muse is tied to how we remember the prior timeline, so if we meet a grisly end again, it’s possible that Liana will also…”

She trails off, suddenly noticing the morbidity of her speech.

“Ah, sorry about that. Thank you for telling me everything,” she says, trying to suddenly change the topic. “Always feel free to bug me for help if you need it, although I think I will be busy helping Elise for a while. Church business.”

“Mmhm.” Prushka nods, somewhat relieved. “Then you can bug me too. I’m good at tracking things, and people.”

Aside from their single conversation the previous morning, Lucille Faraday and Prushka don’t really know each other. Perhaps that’s why the smaller girl is somewhat hesitant here. Or maybe she’s still feeling queasy from that slice of humble pie. Even so, she continues on past the awkward atmosphere.

“I’m gonna ride down to the store to grab some things during lunch, so if you want anything…”

Prushka trails off. Nothing more needs to be said on that front.

“And, um, this might be a weird question, but… have you run into anyone in town with only one eye? Maybe they uh, also smell kinda iffy?”

Only one person matches that description in Lucille’s mind, and she hesitates to throw him under the bus. She would love to trust Miss Popplewell’s judgement in him. No, she desperately wants to. But what she wants is not necessarily what people need, and they all need the truth. If Prushka can pry it out from the depths of this town, so be it.

“There’s Jack Pinkerton, who runs the local country club… His cologne is a bit off,” she admits. “Miss Popplewell said he’s a well-meaning, but suspicious looking person, and having met him, I think I’d agree… I just don’t know if he’s hiding anything.”

Lucille sighs. She can only pray this is a case of mistaken suspicion.

“Did you learn something that makes this important?”

“Jack Pinkerton… the local country club.” Prushka repeats those words to herself, perking up as Lucille provides a concrete answer she clearly hadn’t been expecting. Had… had she just been asking random people that question?

Prushka looks around, to make sure no one is nearby to hear, and then whispers slowly.

“There’s, um… well, I don’t know if it’s a demon, but… you might’ve heard her. Or glimpsed her. The monster in Muse’s woods that stinks of sulfur. Her name is Dot. F. Loonwaters, and last week she chewed off half my face. In the dream. But, um, then it happened in real life too.”

The ridiculous confession is followed by a short but awkward silence.

“There’s evidence she’s been around Road’s End for a while… so she’s probably left her mark on others besides me. Muse thinks, if enough people bear that mark and acknowledge her, she might be able to materialize in reality.”

The last part is clearly speculation. Not much can be learned concretely about a strange dream being that causes wounds which appear in the real world. But whatever it is, it clearly has Prushka spooked enough to go looking for information.

“Still, first Billie, now Pinkerton… I’d like to look for those that bear her mark, her scent, see if they can be freed from it somehow… before she hunts again. Besides, for all we know, if she only attacks those who wander Muse’s woods… then this Pinkerton might remember too.”

Prushka twiddles her thumbs and sighs.

“Honestly, I’m worried just talking about her. It’s like that story about Bloody Mary. Say the name too much and it’ll give the monster even more power. I don’t know if there are beings like that in the Turnside, or if that’s what we’re dealing with, but…”

“It’s possible spreading information about her would make her stronger… I can’t say for certain.” Lucille takes a moment to deliberate about Prushka’s words, namely, about the mark. One demon wasn’t enough, was it… Now there was a whole different sort of ritual to avoid. At the very least, this seemed to have a clear cause and effect, so avoiding it should seem possible.

“I’ll make sure to keep an eye out for those with a missing eye. As it was, I ended up discussing with Muse if there was a way to fight that monster, and she said it was only possible if there was someone well-versed in dreams giving us aid. I don’t know of anyone like that, but in this town, it’s at least a possibility.” There are a lot of things she has promised to look for, and so little time to do it. With every second, every minute, she feels like she has not done enough to avoid a terrible fate for everyone involved. But she has to try. Always, as her duty demands.

“That information probably doesn’t help, but I suppose we need every scrap we can get…”

“Someone who can affect dreams… Hisa said something along those lines too…” Prushka sighs. “What are the odds we can find someone like that in Road’s End?”

As soon as she asks the question, she seems to realize it’s a rhetorical one.

“...well, maybe they’ll pop up. In the meantime… thank you. I’m gonna try to investigate things too. Let’s touch base later?”

“Yeah, no problem.”

Lucille’s somber mood seems to have brightened up a bit, as she gives the other girl a faint smile. She wishes she could be more helpful, but alas, the more she looks into the mysteries of Road’s End, the more hopelessly out of her depth she seems to become. What purpose is she here for, if the solution is not something she can cut down?

Well, that is for the Lord to know and for her to realize in time.

“May the Lord keep you safe,” she says with a wave, making her way out.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

The dark façade of the Owl’s Nest loomed in the distance, the omnipresent gray skies giving the hotel a slightly ominous looking atmosphere from the distance. A brief flash of amusement raced through Anna. Perhaps it was simply her “perspective” coloring her outlook of the place? Normally, it shouldn’t really be the case. After all, it's not as if she had any qualms with the owners or the staff there. Rachel had been quite nice the one time she’d been there. The rest of the residents, however…

The cold wind blew through the open sides of her jacket, filling both her lungs and core with the slightly chilly air of early autumn.

…Well, can’t be helped, I guess, considering what we’re about to do.

“I must say, thanks for taking the time to tag along, Indy.” The raven-haired witch threw a lazy grin to her white-haired companion. “With your schedule filled with all that running from boulder traps and artifact-hunting, I wasn’t sure if you’d be up for it, eh?”

“Well, jesting aside, I do appreciate it.” Anna gave a brief pause, even as her eyes were drawn back at the hotel for a moment. “…always good to have someone to watching your back for something like this.”

The white-haired mercenary that was standing next to her in her dusty leather jacket and aviator helmet had been surprisingly easy to convince, really. All it took was dropping her a quick line during the lunch break and she had been more than up to join Anna on her little escapade at Owl’s Nest. From the looks of it, the Libyan girl had some of her own business to take care of at the hotel as well, so something like this was akin to hitting two birds with one stone.

Anna flashed Ramia another easygoing grin, even as the mischievous look in her eyes seemed to just scream trouble.

“Speaking of which, I never quite told you what I was planning to do here, right?”

Even as the words left her lips, Anna’s mind sought out the ever-present string-like mental connection with her familiar. She felt his presence, her tie with the wood that bundled up his body and the enchanted piece of coal that served as his heart, in the distance… towards the brooding looking hotel.

“How is it inside? Did you manage to find them?”
    Last edited by Mellon; September 4th, 2020 at 01:25 AM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

---What a dreary sky.

The clouds from this morning were still hanging around now, joined by the faintest scent of rain, of an upcoming storm, blowing in from the sea... It's the sort of weather that bothers her a bit more in the evening than it had in the morning, because it was coming in a bit faster than expected, and because the rain was going to make using the skateboard tomorrow a bit of a pain...

Maybe I should have let the Doc talk me into keeping that motorcycle...

Of course, a motorcycle would still be exposed to the elements, but a motorcycle also wouldn't swell up like a balloon or warp in shape in the rain if you didn't make sure to dry it off carefully when you were done with it... Not to mention the damage to the bearings...

Tsk...

Well, she should be able to fix those sorts of damages, she'd still get soaked in the worst case, but those were the realities of using a skateboard as your main method of transportation, you just gotta deal with the weather's mood swings.

Guess I could run if it gets too bad...

It'd be decent exercise.

Still...

Problems for her future self.

Stepping outside of the dormitories mostly devoid of her school supplies (mostly her school books, as she figured paper might come in handy later) the dark-haired teenager had simply swept through the lobby like a ceaseless wind, determined to put the time she had to as good a use as she could think of, and to that, well...

He said to call the reception... Spade Queen... The Country Club... Going there too often will probably mark me as an outsider... But well... I sort of am...

She wasn't a firm believer in fate, but sometimes the world does it's best to nudge you a certain way... Well, not only that, out of all of the people she had met so far, he was probably the one most suited to helping her out...

Of course, that's not the only reason.

Their last encounter had certainly been memorable, bully or not, he had made way better of an impression on her than Xylia had, and with all of the drama last night...

Best to avoid emotional explosions like that...

It's pretty hard to reason with ESPers most of the time anyway, if there was a 'cognitive prison' they would definitely be the ones stuck in it.

Of course, it wasn't like she didn't have her own 'code,' she followed through life, but...

Well...

---That was different.

Still, not like she disliked them either, they were just tiring at times.

Regardless...

Let's go see how he liked the concert, it's been a bit, so I was probably rusty...

Time to go see Thorne.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

The school day was thankfully the same as last time. I did add my little tweak to it, but it shouldn’t change things too much in the grand scheme of things. If anything, I was far more involved this time around and have more background on why things occurred. Especially with… Saturday night’s events. I was hoping that I would be able to straddle the small line between the original history and enough ripples to affect it.

However, those thoughts can wait for another time. For now, I could relax and spend some limited time with Aleen before I have to do some business with that kicking bastard again. I’m definitely not letting that happen the same way again even if I thought Aleen was super cool at that moment…

So here I was in front of Aleen’s door once again ready to knock. She’s probably going to show up overdressed again and I’ll tease her on it a little bit. I knock once on the door before saying something.

“Hey Aleen, you ready to go?”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

It's been a long morning, followed by a long afternoon.

Does that mean we're in for a long evening, to make it an all-too-long day?

The sky outside seems like it's gathering up strength to pour out more tears. But for the moment... everything is calm.

Which is bad. Calm is not what I want.

No, what I want is...

"Ubooooooooooo-! Oh, Hisa."

How come we always end up heading in the same direction? Maybe this is why we always end up arguing and talking for way too long.

"Turns out they had that guidebook after all. Dunno when I'll have time to read it though; things are getting really busy around here."

My bag is filled to the brim now. And my wallet is quite a bit lighter. If I keep this up, I'll have no pocket change for the rest of the year. But that's a small price to pay for surviving the week. Maybe I can get a part-time job after this is all over. Delivering papers or something. Just me and the Pink Dragon, riding across town... yeah, that sounds nice.

"..."

Seriously though, why do we always end up in the same place? Even I'm getting sick of it now.

Well, at least it's a chance to continue patching things up.

"...planning on going out tonight? It's gonna rain soon, so you can borrow my umbrella if you don't have one."

Ubon should be this way but... did Hisa want to talk to her too?

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

Well, she had a reason to come here right off from the class, didn't she? A rendez-vous, a set appointment, a date of sorts for some shopping and socializing times!

Haha, no, not really...

... but perhaps it was best that others thought that was what was going on. After all, they were going to do was supposed to be of a low profile nature. The less people poking their heads into that mess, the better.

Her blue, empty eyes scanned the campus grounds as she arrived, searching for none other than Alex Terrot. They had reached an agreement to meet here, before setting off on their little investigation...
    Last edited by Ayakashi; September 5th, 2020 at 06:22 PM.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

Twitchy. Twitchy. It's like knives against my skin, my skin, my skin. Thinking too hard makes me remember it, and I stare blankly at an empty wall for a moment, glancing down at the video before feeling a shiver go down my spine. Grabbing it, I stared at the tape with trepidation.

I wanted to destroy it, but I could not. Still holding it, I moved in a daze, moving towards... A destination, I suppose.

[MOVE TO /// Dormitory - Common Room]
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Lucille takes a deep breath—she has wasted enough time. Elise has asked for her assistance, but a little extra help never hurt anyone. And more importantly, she has let a matter be unresolved for far too long. “Enjoying” her school life is pleasant and all, but there are far more pressing matters which she should address. And the first lies in talking to her most trusted confidant.

So, the young heiress makes her way into the common room, searching for her maid.

Hisa Momoi

“It’s okay, I like the rain.”

I can’t go anywhere without running into her, can I? Truly, a cursed place.

“I was planning on asking some people to help out,” I continued as I started walking slowly again, “But I only really know Pyry and Ubon. Though I guess the latter will be occupied then.”

She did mention something about wanting to hang out with Ubon, in the end.

“I guess I’ll ask Mercedes. Maybe she’ll agree to cooperating,” I said as I scratched the back of my head, “Or...well, that’s about it.”

There were a few people I was vaguely acquainted with last time, but...they don’t remember now anyways. I hardly have the time to get friendly enough with so many people that there can be a semblance of mutual trust and understanding. Besides...most of these people are already related to someone who remembers, so I doubt I would have much time with them anyways.

Maybe...Souma?

“Well, we’ll see,” I said as I shrugged, and continued my way to the pool building.
    Last edited by Cheetose; September 4th, 2020 at 01:36 PM.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hisa Momoi & Prushka

It seemed that the Pinefall High's pool was mostly empty this time of the day as the two girls entered it. The only thing they could hear was the faint sound of some music, turned down low, coming from the PA system for the enjoyment of those who fancied a swim after yet another tiring school day. The strong scent of chlorine hit their noses almost immediately, accompanied by the distinct sound of large mass of water, it's waves and dripping, echoing in the large, hall-like room. The reflections of light form the cerulean water played the walls and the ceiling, casting web-like patterns that shifted and morphed thanks to the aquatic movements.

However, despite the quiet, almost tranquil atmosphere, it was easy enough to see that the pool wasn't completely empty. And the first person the duo of Hisa and Prushka saw wasn't their aqua-eyed friend. There, laying on the diving board like a languid snake dozing off in the electrical lights shining from the ceiling, was the form of Mercedes West - someone who would have probably driven half of their class's male population wild with her current appearance if they ever saw it. Perhaps that was why she had chosen to be here now - as there were no people.

Starlets had their own problems.

In any event, Mercedes seemed to be dozing off, quietly breathing and leaning on her arms while laying flat as a board, stomach against the diving board, her back exposed. She hadn't even heard the door open and close, most likely meaning she was still completely unaware of the duo's presence.

Still, Mercedes was not alone at the pool. In a complete contrast to the listless form of the actress, the mutual friend of the duo - one ball of energy named Ubon - was currently diving to the very deep end of the pool, her hands reaching towards the bottom. It was easy enough to see that the girl was right in her element, practically gliding through the water in a manner akin to a dolphin. When both her palms touched the bottom of the pool, she rolled forward and placed her feet against it as well, using the bottom as a surface from which to kick herself right back into the surface. With an exhilarated giggle, Ubon exploded through the water's surface, doing a half-somersault and ending up floating on her back in the water.

From there, her eyes spied upon the duo that had just entered, and she gave them a lazy wave and a warm grin, clearly happy to see both.

Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Hey Aleen, you ready to go?”
    "H-huh?"

There was a sound of someone tripping over their own feet while in the middle of doing some heavy-duty-deciding when it came to clothing. This was followed by a body, no doubt Aleen's smacking against the floor and a loud "Owie!" that echoed all the way to the corridor, earning some amused glances from other students who were walking nearby. After recovering for a moment (and most likely getting her bearings back together), Aleen crawled back up and opened the door, showing that inside was a veritable storm of clothes - and that she had dolled up her face as if for an occasion.

Well, that was about what Vier could expect.

However...

"G-go? Sorry, Vier... did we agree to go somewhere?" The bluehead asked, looking confused. "Totes sorry, I mean, I have somewhere to be today myself and, uh... if I forgot some plans of ours, I'll make it up to you! Promise! But later, okay?"

Ah yes.

The trouble with repeating a week.

Even if one repeated their actions, sometimes one forgot few minor details here and there.

For example... asking their friend if they were going somewhere before showing up on their door, ready to head out.

The sheepish, apologetic look on Aleen's face was quite genuine, however.

"It totes slipped my mind and, well, uh..." She glanced aside, scratching her cheek. "This is sorta important..."

Anna Vandemeel

Ramia shrugged, a slight grin on her face.

"Eh, that's alright. I gotta look for something myself, and it doesn't really matter where in this town I start - might as well do it here at the hotel," she explained. "That and I promised Winters I'd ask around 'bout her brother. I dunno what's it like, having siblings, but even I can tell she's worried about him. The least I can do is give her a hand, yeah?"

The grey skies above were promising rain, and Anna knew from experience that tomorrow it would most likely fall, being a prelude to the storm that would sweep over the town even later. Gone was the sunshine from yesterday, as well as the remnants of summer that the beach party had seen. Instead this was pure autumn, and there was no way around it. Even Ramia pulled her jacket little tighter around herself as the two of them arrived on the parking lot of the hotel, gazing up at the grand old building of wood, settled on the slopes of the two mountains that dominated the landscape over here.

It was a place that surely had more than its share of old spirits and echoes in its corridors and walls - a building that just reeked of history, and not all of it happy.

Especially those carvings of staring owls underneath the eaves of the roof, gazing down upon the people below.

"I take it you're looking for something or someone too? I mean, you ain't exactly the type to rent a room here so you could have a steamy secret relationship with someone," Ramia continued, chuckling impishly at her own joke. "Probably an out-of-towner if you're looking for them here?"

Her eyes glanced towards Anna, and for a moment they narrowed.

"And is it a good or bad type of visit?"

Meanwhile, in the back of her mind, Anna could feel the connection to her familiar getting stronger. The little creature sounded a bit exhausted - after all, it had been running after a car the whole day, but it still had done as was told.

[B-Boss! Lotsa wards everywhere, old injun-style stuff! Must've been here forever! Protection from spirits, so it's kinda hard, y'know!] Söörik complained, sounding a bit miffed. [But I found them! The guy with crazy hair is eating pudding in the first floor, while those two girls are in their room - though I couldn't get in without them noticing me, so I didn't!]

Considering how small hotel rooms where, that was understandable.

Still... they were separated to two places, huh?

Liana Skye

It seemed that at least for now, Liana Skye had luck on her side.

After all, after giving a call from the public phone in the main building to the reception desk of Spade Queen, she was able to learn that while "Mr. Hawthorne" wasn't usually available around this time, tonight he had some special circumstances that had made him stay. Of course, the older woman who was manning the reception didn't offer this information freely, but apparently Hawthorne had made sure they'd regocnize Liana's name if she called.

Hence why she was now here, at the gates of the massive, overblown building that was the local country club. Over to the right, she could see few cars parked that even Mercedes West would have hard time buying. Old pieces that would have normally belonged in a museum. To the left, she could see the grounds of the country club open slowly, like a wing tha stretched behind the building, becoming a garden that was well-maintained and groomed. Even now someone with bright red hair was taking care of the plants, trimming the bushes and what-not.

However, a bit closer than all of that, around the statue and the fountain around it...

"Honestly. Your father has some unexpected business to take care of once and you throw a tantrum? How much of a spoiled brat you are?"

Well that deep, languid, inherently sarcastic voice sounded familiar.

And indeed, there he was - Hawthorne. The tall man was sitting at the edge of the fountain, cigarette dangling from between his fingers and a cup of coffee resting near his other hand. He did seem to notice Liana approaching, as he gave her a quiet nod as he glanced to her direction, but mostly his attention was focused on the other person present - a person who was doing her best to look like a stressed-out, fuming Wall Street Merchant.

"It's suspicious. Daddy never just heads out like that. He always tells me where he's going," a rough, young voice answered angrily. "But he didn't this time. Which means that it's some sort of secret. I hate secrets."

Hawthorn let out a tired sigh and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Well you're gonna have tough time in this town then..." He mumbled a non-committed response.

From the looks of it, Hawthorn had been tasked with some sort of babysitting job.

And the person he was watching over was...

Rather striking in looks, for someone so young.

Vivienne Bianchi

"Ah, there you are, Mademoiselle."

A familiar voice called out to Vivienne from the fountain in the middle of the campus grounds, right next to the yew tree that grew old and proud and towered above the bushes around here. Alex, who had been writing something in her journal, rose up from where she had been sitting and dusted off her clothes... clothes that were quite different from what she used to wear. After all, right now, instead of a reporter or a girl with a rather masculine, out-dated fashion sense, she looked more akin to a dashing young man... one that would fit right into the ritzy atmosphere of a country club.

Heck, if anything, she looked almost like a person who frequented such establishments often.

"What do you think?" Alex asked, letting Vivienne see her new clothes from all sides. "I had Mademoiselle West help me with this after the P.E. She had lot of good suggestions, as expected of someone who moves in these circles. With a little combination of both of our wardrobes, were were able to set this up. Other than this, it's apparently a matter of how I speak and how I carry myself."

Now that she mentioned it... Alex's voice did sound a bit lower, or rather, deeper than usual.

It just enhanced that 'dashing prince' image that she was projecting.

Not only that, but she did have her back much straighter, her shoulders straight, and her eyes focused. There was even a hint of a confident smile on her face, one that usually wasn't there.

Mercedes West must have been quite good at coaching others into stuff like this.

"What about you, Mademoiselle? Were you able to procure a disguise?"

Alexstrasza Lockhart & Lucille Faraday

Whether it was due to good or bad timing, two blonde girls with same destination happened to bump to each other right at the entrance of the common room. Both Lucille Faraday and Alexstrasza Lockhart had been heading for the same place, and thus, it was no wonder that they happened to meet in the doorway.

Meanwhile, however, inside the room...

"I do not get it. It is supposed to be a show about nothing, right? ... But, this is clearly something!"

A familiar nasally voice spoked out loud in the common room, a clear complaint in her voice. Through the doorway, thw two girls did indeed spy Cesarina Feroce... but she was not alone. Instead, she was with a couple of familiar faces, both which the girls recognized. First they saw the lanky, impossibly tall form of Pyry Leijonamieli as he was lounging on one of the old armchairs, yawning heartily and keeping his hands behind his head as if he was sprawled on the sands of a beach, taking in the sun. Indeed, he did rather resemble a large animal that had decided to take it easy, having even taken his socks off.

The third person in the room was taking it easy as well... though not by choice. Sakura Tsukioka, the person that Lucille had been searching for, was laying down on the old leather couch, holding a bag of ice over her forehead and groaning quietly, one eye trained at the television. And while one of her hands kept the bag of ice in place, the other was lazily gripping a can of soda, which she sipped from every now and then - releasing a tired sigh afterwards every single time.

And finall there was Cesarina, who had taken over one of the recliners. She wasn't wearing her usual military-style garb, however. Instead she sported a T-shirt and jeans, a very casual look for the girl. She had even let her hair down, looking like she had just exited the shower thanks to its small dampness. Well, that and the clear smell of shampoo hanging in the air. The girl had even thrown her towel on the back of the chair.

As for what the trio were doing... well, they were watching TV. Alexstrasza and Lucille could see some insipid-looking man in a rather frilly-looking shirt arguing with another, taller man with frizzy hair who was smoking a cigar. Apparently there was something wrong with the situation as the two kept arguing and, from some group of people not shown on the television, laughter could be heard again and again.

"No, it's not that the show's about nothing," Pyry answered, lazily gesturing towards the TV. "It's just that... well, the plot lines are mundane. 0I mean, just look at this. That's something that could happen to anyone, right Sakura?"

The girl on the couch groaned.

"I wish my daily problems were that simple..." the brunette grumbled. "Just a bunch of sitcom plots that always return to the status quo. But no, instead, it's one trouble after another... I want to have relatable days too!"

Cesarina peered at the TV-screen as woman entered and started laughing at the insipid-looking man.

"No... No, I do not think anyone could have this happen to them. It is highly unlikely," she answered. "Even in that sense the show is clearly about something!"

Pyry shrugged at that, apparently having no further arguments. He then looked at the TV... and grimaced.

"... Goddammit I hate reruns."

Sakura groaned again in agreement.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"..."

This sight is... um... wow.

I wave hello to Ubon, matching her grin. She sure likes swimming, huh? But why is she here then? Is the beach too rough? Or maybe the weather's a bit intimidating.

Well, at least she and Mercedes are getting along nicely, if they're able to relax that easily around each other.

Speaking of Mercedes though...

Even Ubon isn't yelling hello, so she must really be relaxing. In that case, it's best to whisper so as not to wake her up. Especially because...

Poke, poke.

"Hey, Hisa... isn't Mercedes kinda cute when she's snoozing?"

Almost makes me wanna sneak up and do something... which is never gonna happen, of course. But I'm sure this predator next to me, who sniffs out girls' butts from a mile away, is also restraining her urges. Or maybe she's planning something nefarious. In which case I'd obviously need to get involved. To keep her out of trouble of course. Not to throw myself into it. Because that would be silly.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Location: Pinefall High Dormitory – John Dove’s Bedroom (Room 106)

John Dove lies prone on his bed. Of course, he is not wasting his time. His mind runs over every single feasible course of action.

• Look for Colton Davin.
    • Look for Alexstrasza. Inquire about the video and…everything else.
    • Look for Elaine. The next step after that is anybody’s guess.
    • Talk with somebody (Elise Marie?) about the mystery of the McLampet graves.
    • The matter of the map and the “blue-haired vampire.”
    • Study Remmington Hartley’s book for…what exactly? Clues on the Disembodied Man and Dot F. Loonwaters?
    • Investigate the higher levels of the school building. That clock tower has never left his attention.
    • The matter of Ramia Ramalsaqr he has already arranged for tomorrow thanks to Anna Vandemeel. It would also be a chance to learn more about their ways to use magic.

Should he ask for assistance on this night’s plan of action? Who could he even ask? Pyry has a shackle and chain called Hisa Momoi. None of the other feasible options seem prudent for one reason or another. Is Liana Skye his only option, then? Regardless of what happens in the end, then, there are a thing or two he should (try to) put in order before tonight. And that is why he sets out to do none of the things in the list above.

He does not have Hisa Momoi’s mental powers. He does not have Pyry Leijonamieli’s physical prowess, nor Ramalsaqr’s spells, and certainly not Elaine’s sublime combination of both. Thus, he can only do minuscule things, with what little power he has.

Something John Dove can definitely do is solve the mystery of “Mercy’s book”, as long as he has the “key” only “Mercy” herself can provide. Thus, he locks his room behind him and departs to do something he would have never imagined himself doing a week ago: take the initiative to find and engage in conversation with a professional liar.

Of course, there is always the possibility that somebody else will intercept him and push him in an entirely different direction, but that would not be a problem. John Dove
    cannot be
    is not
    the kind of person who minds it when things do not go his way.

Elise Pelltier

Elise Pelltier was not dragging her feet as she wandered the corridors of the main building. She had perfectly good reasons for loitering around the main building after class. Reasons like procrastinating about things she shouldn't put off any longer, and dread.

Just need to head back to the dorms. Talk to Lucille, and I can get this stupid three minutes deal done and over with, thought Elise, Besides, she should know about Gradient being back already, and that sewer monster.

Instead of heading towards out of the main building and towards the dormitory, Elise found her feet taking her in very much the opposite direction. Soon enough, she found herself wandering into the reference library.

The closest collection of books, and I haven't even been here yet... thought Elise as she entered the school's library, It's a good idea to see what they've got here, and I can check out the view from here if I want to climb up to the second floor and not get noticed.

Elise glanced around, allowing herself a moment to take in the library's collection. She froze, suddenly, when she spotted the library's other current occupant, Souma Nubata, currently engaged in some light reading. She considered ignoring him, and leaving him to his book as she explored the reference library on her own, but Hisa's suggestion nudged her on.

'With no reality to call his own'... Hisa said it's like he doesn't belong to reality. Not sure about how the rest of the riddle fits. He's really not who I'd expect Nemo to be, but like Hisa said, it's worth a shot.

Elise took a deep breath and cautiously approached the student with the highest Drop Distance.

Besides, there was that whole implication he made back at the beach party when we met there...

"H-hey Souma! Sorry to interrupt. I-I just didn't expect to see you here. How's it going?" asked Elise.

Hisa Momoi

As I entered the pool area, I waved back at Ubon, but that was about all the attention I could give to her. I didn’t really want to get into a conversation right now, since Prushka wanted to talk to her, and in the first place, it wouldn’t have been possible in the first place, with Mercedes sleeping.

Something that Prushka noticed as well as she tugged at my side, commenting on the sleeping girl being cute - something to which I could only respond to with a lazy wave of disapproval.

She was hardly my definition of cute, but at the same time, there was something else about her…

And before I knew, I was already walking up to her, taking quick but quiet steps one after another.

I came to talk to her, in the end. It would have been rude to just shout at her from this far, both because it’s an inappropriate way of communicating and because it would be rude to wake her up like that.

A few steps later, I was already next to her. A perfect view on her back that everyone seems to be praising so much. But even then, it couldn’t really compare to Ubon’s.

Maybe I could have checked how they felt...but with Prushka here, it likely would have just caused more annoyance. Probably not the best action to make a first impression with, anyways.

I carefully crouched down at her side, so that her body would be within reach.

Well, maybe some other day.

Instead…

“Hey, Mercedes.” I said quietly, barely more than just a whisper, and at the same time...I reached out with a finger, just barely touching the middle of her back as I gently ran said finger down along her spine - infused with a good deal of pleasure as an extra.

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Hey, Mercedes.”
    A small shiver ran down the body thanks to the touch that awoke it, and at the same time, two piercing eyes shot open, staring straight ahead. Mercedes, who had been laying on her stomach, using her arms as a pillow of sorts, lifted her head forward, staring down at the pool that was right in front of her. Why she did something like that, instead of whirling around to face the one who had gone as far as to touch her out of nowhere was unknown, but... Oh?

No, it became clear quite quickly.

Instead of turning her head awkwardly, she was confirming it was Hisa through the reflection from the water.

And now, Hisa saw a rather magnificent frown spread across the actress's face.

"... I could make a case for, like, sexual harassment, y'know," Mercedes spoke out. "I've got plenty of, like, top-tier lawyers on my speed-dial to make it happen. Could string you up with so much legal trouble it wouldn't be even funny anymore. Though that'd mean going back to LA, and like, that's the last thing I want. Gawd, just thinking 'bout it makes my skin crawl."

Heaving a bit of a sigh, Mercedes settled back to her napping stance, resting her head on her arms. However, instead of dozing off again, Hisa could feel that the starlet's attention was fully on her, even if she put on a look of disinterest and languid listlessness.

Still... the way she had kept her reaction to the enhanced touch had been quite something. Understandably she was someone who made her living by controlling her facial expression, but to not even let out a sound required more than mediocre willpower.

... Or, a darker thought, maybe she had trouble feeling pleasure. This was Pinefall, after all.

"A-ny-ways... what'cha want, Momoi? I'm, like, the type that's the arch-nemesis of shrinking violets like you, right? Why'd you come looking for me on your own?" Mercedes continued. "Must be something out of the ordinary if you, like, come around to poke me of your own accord."

Looks like she was as focused on roles of society as ever.

Prushka

"Hmh? What'cha those two up to?"

Ubon's question came as a sort of a surprise, her voice breaking the silence now that Hisa and Mercedes were already discussing something else on the other end of the pool. With few exemplary strokes, the cyanhead made her way to the side of the pool and rose up, resting her arms on the edge while gazing up at Prushka - a sight that was rare for Prushka. After all, the cases where someone looked up at her instead of the other way around were rare as diamonds.

"And what'cha doing here, Prushie? You up for a swim?" Ubon continued, grinning at the tiny girl. "I saw your swimsuit yesterday... it was super cute! You should hop into the pool and let the water just take away today's fatigue, too!"

Considering the day had ended with two hours of P.E., it was rather hard to imagine how Ubon had the energy to still swim, much less claim it made her feel refreshed. Then again, she was Ubon.

Maybe her brain was just wired in a different way.

"And since there ain't anyone but us gals around, you can just skinny-dip if you didn't bring your swimsuit!"

Oh boy.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "H-hey Souma! Sorry to interrupt. I-I just didn't expect to see you here. How's it going?"
    "......."

There was no immediate answer.

Instead, Souma Nubatama closed his one visible eye for a moment, and the book he had been reading afterwards. He had been holding the sturdy book with one hand with ease, and as he snapped the old thing shut, Elise's eyes caught a glimpse of the title. "Œuvres complètes de François Villon", a French book from the looks of it, and indeed even the words inside had been French. It was a bit of a surprise that Souma was able to read it... but at the same time, it was not. He was the type of person after all, who could be seen as capable of just about anything.

"........ Fine," Souma finally replied. "It's going... fine."

That single amber eye was now open, staring straight at Elise without any hesitation. Though while the right eye was free to roam and look as it pleased, the left eye was forever darkened, and closed off by the eyepatch that he always wore.

And as the boy studied the brunette with his single eye, and awkward and a bit of an uncomfortable sort of silence spread across the reference library.

Growing longer...

And longer...

And longer...

".............. What?"

Souma's question came out of nowhere, snapping the silence in half.

He glanced towards the book he had been reading, now resting on a table.

"Curious...?" He asked, eye trained back to Elise.

Hisa Momoi

First, I blinked out of surprise. Then it turned to amusement, as I listened to Mercedes’ words.

“You can sue me, but I don’t think it would lead to anything,” I grinned slightly, “Well, I’m not sure what they would do with an outcast like me who has nothing to her name, and was likely deemed dead like a decade ago.”

I was too young back then to care about the laws and whatnot of the society, and after that I hardly had any time and patience to learn about such. It was too much fancy talk about a lot of nothing, even if it had some nice philosophical aspects to it.

“Either way, my bad, I took you for someone who likes to get touchy with girls. Shouldn’t jump to conclusions so fast, I suppose.”

Well, matters not. There were more important things to talk about while I had her attention.

“For what I want...well, I was wondering if we could put the differences aside for a moment, and if I could ask you to help me out with something.”

Even after last week it was hard to believe that I could get myself to talk to Mercedes like this. Especially while keeping a serious, if not positive expression even after she kept up with the attitude that would normally be such a turn off.

“There were some mysteries about the town that I wanted to look into, and having your assistance would be a great asset,” I continued, “Surely, even you would find them interesting. In exchange...I could help with what you saw earlier on the field.”

Last edited by Cheetose; September 4th, 2020 at 03:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

“There were some mysteries about the town that I wanted to look into, and having you to help out would be a great asset. Surely, even you would find them interesting. In exchange...I could help with what you saw earlier on the field.”
    "......."

Mercedes stayed silent, instead of responding immediately. Indeed, one could practically see the gears turning at supersonic speeds in her head as she was taking in the surprising, and sudden, suggestion given by Hisa. Naturally a suspicious and wary individual, she was cautious of just about anything that came her way... and she would definitely be cautious about something like this. A sudden offering of setting their natural differences aside, asking for help, and even offering for help...

--- An actress from a world where nothing came for free, and relationships were almost always purely selfish affairs, would of course find this suspicious.

"Like, what I saw earlier? Huh... so are you, like, implying that wasn't my usual headaches and hallucinations? No, more than that, the fact that you know I saw something kinda suggests you'd have something to do with it. Especially since, like, you weren't around at all," Mercedes quietly replied, her body language betraying no emotion. "Like gawd... sorry but not sorry, my mind's immediately jumping to worst conclusions. We are supposed to be like oil and water, right?"

Slowly, delibirately slowly, Mercedes lifted herself up from her sleeping position. She sat up, straddling the diving board, and swung her leg over the edge so she was now sitting sideways on it. Her face turned towards Hisa, and while it was wearing the usual mask of a stuck-up alpha bitch of wherever she went, those piercing eyes hid within that same fierce intelligence that she tried to keep on the downlow.

For a normal human, she was one that kept her cards close to her chest.

"Still, what-evah. You could be talking outta your ass for all I know," Mercedes continued, eyes locked with Hisa's. "What I do wanna know though, is..."

Her eyes narrowed a bit.

"... Like, why do you think I'd be an asset in solving mysteries?"

Hisa Momoi

“I saw the same scene with my own eyes, so I would know,” I said with carefully measured words as I stared back at Mercedes, “Still, if you have gruesome hallucinations like that on a regular basis, then...that can’t be easy.”

Of course, that must have been a bluff. A desperate move to throw me off, but from her perspective, as someone who didn’t remember and someone who wasn’t even too aware of the supernatural, it was an understandable move. Especially since it was her.

“I just don’t want your thoughts to be bogged down by that in the coming days, since you could probably put your mind to more important things.”

I couldn’t admit just yet that it was indeed my “fault”, even if just indirectly. But at the very least, I wanted to fix things, and perhaps this was a good starting point to get her involved anyways.

“That’s exactly why you’d be a great help too. Arch-nemesis or whatever, if there’s one thing I can’t deny about you then that’s that you are smart. Since it comes to understanding possibly very old materials, deciphering cryptic clues and connecting lots of dots...well, I’d imagine that would be something you are good at.”

On first look, it might have seemed like I was just throwing meaningless praise at her to gain her favour - but looking a bit deeper than that, it shouldn’t have been hard to tell that I was entirely honest about my words. Even if it was something that I was not especially fond of telling to someone like her.

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

“That’s exactly why you’d be a great help too. Arch-nemesis or whatever, if there’s one thing I can’t deny about you then that’s that you are smart. Since it comes to understanding possibly very old materials, deciphering cryptic clues and connecting lots of dots...well, I’d imagine that would be something you are good at.”
    Mercedes heaved a sigh, a tired one, one that sounded almost like someone who was lifting up her hands in a manner of: "Alright, you got me."

Though, at the same time, her face certainly didn't look like she had given up about anything.

"Like, really? Me, good at connecting dots and deciphering clues? Gawd are you barking up the wrong horse..." Mercedes muttered, though this attempt at downplaying her abilities was half-hearted at best. "You know, first thing I should do is to, like, teach you how to control your facial muscles. If you're praising someone with such look of disdain, it's not coming across like you really wanna mean it - or rather, like you're being hella begrudging about it. Girl could take it the whole wrong way..."

Having said that Mercedes chewed on her lip a little and glanced around the pool. As far away as they were, Ubon and Prushka couldn't really here what the two of them were discussing. And even if they could, from the looks of it they were in their own little conversation, meaning they most likely didn't pay any attention whatsoever. Next, Mercedes glanced at the doors that led into the pool area proper, and when she saw that none of them were ajar as if somebody was listening in, she looked somewhat satisfied.

Then, and only then, did she turn her attention back to Hisa.

"Dunno how you, like, ferreted that out so fast, but yeah - I'm smart. Gotta be, cause I ain't looking this good for forever, and like hell am I gonna be one of those botox grannies walking their little poodle around, thinking I can still strut my stuff. Call it like my little insurance. Once I'm done using my looks to get money, I'm gonna switch to my brains, get it?" Mercedes said with a hint of sarcasm in her voice, though it was mostly aimed at herself. "So yeah. If we, like, make some kinda deal, I guess I can ease my boredom with solving some mysteries, all Scooby-Gang style or whatevah. Lucy's been avoiding me too, so I guess I kinda have free time too..."

The only moment when something else than her usual bravado slipped through was that last sentence.

Indeed, just for a split second, Mercedes West looked genuinely upset that her friend had been keeping her distance.

"... So, like, do you need me now or what? Got a lead on something already?" Mercedes then asked, shaking off that momentary lapse in attitude.