Page 158 of 244 FirstFirst ... 58108148153156157158159160163168208 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,160 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Vivienne Bianchi
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)
    Weather: Overcast

Alex chuckled quietly.

"Well, if you have prepared to be a princess, mademoiselle, then I can certainly be your prince for the evening," she said, offering her right arm to Vivienne while gesturing with her left that they should walk. "Shall we then, my lady?"

From the looks of it, Alex wasn't the type to question what Vivienne had prepared. Indeed, it was quite clear that she trusted the quiet girl enough that if she said she had something planned, Alex was willing to believe it - even if her lack of luggage meant that a normal disguise was quite unlikely. Or perhaps Alex was simply good at taking things in a stride, and adapting to whatever life threw at her.

Still, she listened quietly, attentively, as to what Vivienne talked about afterwards, while the two of them wlaked through the gates of Pinefall's campus grounds.

Once Vivienne was finished, Alex thought for a moment, rubbing her chin... and then shook her head.

"Ah, no. The matchbox itself isn't a problem. It's a mass-produced type after all - I'm willing to bet there's few prepared in all the rooms, and a basket full of them at the main lobby. It's something meant for the visitors of country club to use if they've misplaced their own lighters, or if they are too occupied to search for it. Indeed, the matchbox isn't anything special in itself. We can't use it in the way you suggest, in other words," the reporter explained. "And indeed, the box itself isn't important - what's important is to find the smokers among the current visitors of the country club. Unless, of course, they realized their mistake and made a hasty leave this morning - but then our job will be that much easier."

Alex nodded to herself.

"However, gaining access to the country club and its interior will be a bit harder, depending on how things there are arranged. Usually, country clubs are accessible by invitation only, meaning we cannot move about as freely as we want to. If we are spotted by a regular visitor, I believe I can talk us out of it - it's hardly possible for them to know all the others who visit the club, after all. Staff, and especially the owner, Jack Pinkerton, are a different story altogether..." Alex continued, heaving a little sigh. "... Avoiding the owner is our top priority, because he alone will know we do not have memberships. Staff can be fooled to some extent, but there's a limit to that too."

The reporter turned her head towards the girl walking besides her, and lifted her free hand up, along with her index finger.

"In other words - if we are questioned by the visitors, we'll simply say we are members too who rarely attend, but recently got a chance to visit the area and decided to drop by. We can say we are a couple of socialites from Canada - that would explain my accent," Alex explained. "The staff can be fooled, too... but in order to do that I need to get inside first. If we are seen by the owner, it is no doubt game over, but those who work there are not as invested or as careful. I simply need few important things in order to pass cursory inspection. Bottom line is, follow my lead if needed, and let me handle most of the talking."

A slightly mischievous smile, very unlike typical Alex, floated to her face.

"... We'll do it by the Abagnale method."

It was rather weird.

For the first time since arriving here, Alex seemed almost... excited? Though she masked the feeling well, she was certainly almost looking forward to this infiltration.

In a manner that was almost like a different person.

Still... the two of them needed to get ready. Even though there was some walkng to do... soon they would be at Spade Queen.

Liana Skye & Vivienne Bianchi

"..........."

Sierra stared up at the cat, and for a moment, the animal's face and the girl's face were reflections of each other. Indeed, her mindset was similar to that of a precocious cat's, so it was no wonder that there was an immediate sense of recognizition as the two beings acknowledged each other. Seconds ticked, one after another, as the staring contest became longer and longer, and no quarter was given on either side. The mighty ego of a cat versus the mighty ego of a thirteen year old, locked in a battle of wills upon their first meeting.

Hawthorne, watching all this from the sidelines, chuckled and took another drag from his cigarette.

"Really? Cat? I figured you more of a dog-type person. See, you have that dog-like aura... in a completely good way, of course," he said, impish grin floating on hsi face. "The type of person who always wants to help out and please those they know, and all they expect in return is some affection and headpats in return. Well, I can supply the latter at least."

True, he had taken a few hits to his ego and stumbled, but even the black-haired man realized that if he didn't get back on the offensive, this might not end well for him.

Thus he did.

"As for romantic comedies, well... I tend to watch what's showing in the movies. Much Ado About Nothing, the Branagh one, was pretty fun. And Sleepless in Seattle, ah... that one's even more fitting over here, not so far from there. Still, right now I suppose my favorite would be the one you want to see," Hawthorne continued smugly. "And for guns, well... isn't that a bit hasty? We barely know each other, Ms. Skye. See, I'd appreciate you wining and dining me first, at least."

He might have been thinking of continuing, but before he could, Sierra started to make her move. The young girl stiffened up a little, and reached out with her hand towards the cat... only to have it end up hovering halfway there, as if she was unsure whether or not she should continue.

No, she was definitely unsure as to how to approach the animal, but was too prideful to admit it.

"... I want to pet you," Sierra said with a sullen expression, glaring at the cat. "Bring your tiny head closer."

Hawthorne chuckled at the awkward demand, shaking his head. With his free hand, he brought the cup of coffee to his lips and took a sip, enjoying the taste for a moment. However, as he drank, something down the road - over the shoulder of Liana - caught his eye. The man's eyes focused on the two figures approaching by the road, heading straight for the gates and indeed, the Spade Queen Country Club that lay beyond them. Two figures that seemed to be... a young man and a woman?

And indeed they were.

Because there, in the distance, the duo of Vivienne Bianchi and Alex Terrot had finally gotten their destination in their sights. The luxurious building and grounds of the country club they had come to investigate, hoping to find some answers to the mystery of last night's spy at the lighthouse.

However, the two of them had immediately found something else - yet that remained surprising nonetheless.

"Is... is that Mademoiselle Skye?" Alex asked quietly, frowning a bit at the sight of the three people gathered around the fountain. "And who are those with her...?"

Yes, it certainly was Liana.

And while Vivienne didn't recognize the young girl she was talking to... she certainly recognized the man sitting by the fountain.

Vividly.

Very vividly.

Like an image burned into her retinas.

A man staring down at her, along with a barrel of a gun, and cold words spoken without mercy.

It was...

--- The man who had killed her.

And the moment she realized that, she could feel something laughing. In the back of her head. Like an old vinyl record that had just revved up.

A mysterious voice that was like her own... yet unlike her at all.

And then it was gone.

Leaving only the sight of her murderer in her eyes.

Colt Davin

Tris, who was walking in a sort of dream-like state, staring vaguely at the clouds above, let out a long, satisfied sigh and nodded.

"... Verily. T'was the greatest loaf of meat I hath ever tasteth," she answered, wiping some drool off of her face. "And the pie as well, along with the coffee... t'was something truly out of this world. I hath no idea that the surface boasted such wonderful flavours unheard of in my home! Sweetness, greasiness, sourness... I art truly beyond words! Colt, thou has showeth me a world undreamt of, and for that, I can only thank thee!"

The hand of Tris slammed against Colt's shoulder, and though it was much smaller and lighter than Colt's own hand, the strike felt like something that Pyry would have given in one of his numerous good moods. Once again it went to show just how much strength was packed into that unassuming body, and how different the girl's physiology must have been.

Still, that satisfied, grateful grin she beamed at Colt was all too human - almost innocent in how it looked.

As such, it was hard to dwell too much on such thoughts.

"As for my partner, well..." Tris folded her arms across her chest, and chewed on her lip a bit. "...Hath he returned to our forth of cardboard by the beach, he wouldst have contacteth me. I can only presumeth that he art still handling something outside of it. Thus, I hath no idea as to where even begin my search. Alas, I art not well-versed in the art of hunting and stalking prey. Instead my expertise lies in the physical destruction of the Below's many opponents."

As if to make a point, Tris swung her arm up and down, mimicking crudely swinging her enormous sword.

"So... what shalt we do? Thinking back to this morning's discussioneth, there art probably many things worrisome and which should be lookedeth into..." she continued. "Dost thou have any ideas?"

Hisa Momoi
    Date: 08.09.1994

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Just...make sure to get them back to me later in one piece, okay? They aren’t that easy to get.”
    Ru, who was still in his disguise (and apparently had been in the middle of reading through some comic books that Pyry had lent to him) nodded, looking very serious and focused as he took the syringes and carefully cradled them in his palms.

"For sure. I'll make sure they don't got a scratch on them, don't you worry," the younger boy answered. "You guys have been helping me so much it's the least I can do. If need be, heck, I'll even shield them with my own behind."

... Perhaps Ru hadn't completely understood why Hisa had handed these syringes to him, or rather, he was so eager to be useful and dependable that he didn't realize the obvious implication.

Well, at the same time, he was unlikely to get harmed in the dorms, so perhaps it was alright.

"So this one is for communication, this one is for healing, and these are for tummy... gotcha," the boy continued, glancing from one syringe to another (and sandwiches) before focusing back to Hisa. "Now all I need are those codewords. Though, that being said, anything else I should know about? How long will you guys be out? If I get into any trouble, is there anyone here I should look for to get help? Someone we can trust? Oh and does Pyry mind if I get some new comics from his shelf while waiting for you guys?"

Looks like he was really making himself at home in the room of his 'bro'. Still, they were mostly proper questions and things he would need to know if he was to stay here alone. Ru even went as far as to get Hisa some pen and paper so she could write the codes down for their communication. How he knew where those things were in Pyry's room was anyone's question, though...

And speaking of the tall, blonde athlete, Pyry had eagerly agreed to head out, most likely wanting to avoid the awkward conversation that was brewing in the common rooms. He said that he got most of what he needed, which was why he'd head out to his car in advance and get it started while waiting for Hisa and the others.

"Oh and... be safe, alright?" Ru suddenly asked, smiling somewhat awkwardly. "I know bro will probably guard you at all times, but you guys really saved my bacon when you didn't need to. The last thing I want is for anything to happen to you guys."

Prushka & John Dove

In that moment, many things happened at once.

First, John started to move, taking a sidestep to the right in order to avoid the barreling form of coconut crabwalking Ubon skittering along the pool floor straight towards him.

Second, Ubon actually (somehow, in completely unnatural way) jumped forward from her position, as naturally as a normal athlete would go in for a tiger leap... and at the same time, she pulled her arms and legs straight against her body, becoming a cyan-colored missile that slid across the floor thanks to being wet from sweat and pool water.

Third, the door that John had opened and which had already been closing suddenly slammed open again as something pink, rumbling and automated barreled through and stopped only moments before hitting anyone - a scooter with a mind of its own, controlled by the remote of a tiny girl at the edge of the pool.

Fourth, Ubo-rpedo zoomed through John's open legs, having a great opening thanks to the boy having spread them as he side-stepped.

Fifth, the cyanhead curled her body up to a ball once she had cleared John, clearly attempting to turn herself into a spring that would launch at John's back, either going for a good scare or a piggyback ride.

Sixth, there was a very loud bonk.

Seventh, a dawning realization washed upon Prushka and John, those still caught in the slowed-down time - one about Ubon's trajectory and the pink scooter that had intercepted it by attempting to further take John by surprise.

Eighth, Ubon's head, which had collided with the scooter's front wheel, bounced upwards and forwards from the impact, taking the whole girl with her.

Nineth, there was a sound rather like a yelp of a dolphin hitting its head in the aquarium glass that echoed from Ubon's throat as she flailed while falling forward.

Tenth, Ubon's face smacked against the pool room floor, her butt pointed up towards the ceiling, with a pleasantly humming scooter still behind her.

--- And then it was over.

Time returned to normal.

And it was truly, finally, over.

"------ Owwie."

Ubon murmured that against the floor, laying there utterly defeated and still behind John who had frozen mid-step.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "I know where one of them is hiding."
    Souma's eye was now completely focused on her.

Elise could feel that amber glow take on a life of its own, almost like the rest of the room was dimming around her and only the sight of Souma's eye was kept at all. It was an intense sort of focus, one that only few people were capable of. Indeed, Souma Nubatama was a man of many mysteries, and one of them was his ability to stay distant and, in a sense, uninterested in whatever was going on around him. Not once had he really shown that much initiative or interest in anything, simply taking everything a stride and regarding everyone with an animal-like indifference.

But now he was focused.

Like the blade of a knife.

To the point that Elise could even LBJ stir from his usual slumber, and regard the boy with a hint of... amused curiosity?

".............."

Souma said nothing at first.

Instead, he rose from his seat almost like he was exerting no power into his muscle, simply flowing upwards like a single black feather in the wind, a doze of blank ink in a clear, flowing stream... or a king cobra, awakening from its slumber.

Gently, he set the chair he had been using back to its original position against the table.

Then, he turned to face Elise fully.

"--- Show me."

And expressed something he never had before.

Interest.

Anna Vandemeel

A momentary silence more.

Then.

A lopsided, dry grin.

"Ah... one of the children that gather at the feet of the
    Where Crones Dine
    Devil's Table
    . I guess it figures. You've got the spunk that likes of Yaga and Louhi would have appreciated," Ramia spoke, hint of amusement creeping into her robotic, emotionless voice. "Guess that'd be your familiar, then, that keeps occasionally pinging my radars. At least you have enough wherewithal to properly tackle something like what you're planning then."

Slowly, the aura of dangerous silence that had fallen over the duo was lifted. However, while the most utmost of that danger was gone, the situation itself was still a relative powder-keg that could be relit at any moment. Clearly, Ramia was as much of a mercenary as she claimed to be, and she didn't seem to have any particular beef with Anna or her backers... but she was being cautious. A life lived like hers must have been a one where she had to be sure about everything, and couldn't take any chances.

Hence, even now, Ramia was still treating the situation like Anna could have been lying through her teeth.

"I have nothing against the Glass House or the Orloj, and last I checked, neither did they have anything against me. But, that's neither here or there. From all I know, all you just said is a lie. Easiest way to be a convincing liar is to act like you're bad at lying, after all," Ramia continued while easing the grip she had of the thing inside her pocket. "Proof. That's what I'm going to need. Information only those who have visited the Glass House would know. Let's see... naming of the Crones should be enough. Those are something I know too, but non-members rarely do."

The steel-like eyes narrowed.

"But not here. Let's take this to the edge of the forest, where we can't be heard," she added. "I'd like to avoid being branded as a lunatic. Or causing an averse reaction in the world. Come."

With that, Ramia gestured Anna to follow, and started leading towards the nearby edge of the pine forest that rose all around the hotel. Of course, she didn't show her back to Anna, and didn't expect the raven-haired girl to do the same either. Thus, she naturally settled to a pace where they were walking side-by-side while having a respectable distance of five meters between them. Not too close, but not too far either, and so that both could see what the other was doing.

Still, as they would... a chuckle escaped Ramia's lips.

Something she apparently found funny.

"... I do have to ask, though. Are you, perhaps, a new, rising star, Red? High position yet not that much time spent at either place?" she asked, glancing towards the girl. "Taking threats and possibility of fighting so personally, and working yourself up to such anger you're ready to kill... that's a mindset younger students usually have. It might be refreshing, but ultimately something that gets in the way of progress. If you can't work with someone who almost killed you yesterday, you can't really call yourself a mage or a mystic, now can you?"

The grin widened a bit.

Yet it turned colder.

Like a smiling snake.

"Besides, you wouldn't be the first one to try to kill me and succeed," she said quietly as the two entered the shadows of the forest. "That way, those threats have lost a bit of their bite to me."

And then, they were alone.

Just the two of them.

Hidden in the forest.

Ready to talk.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Oh."

A lot of things happened at once. So much so that im having trouble keeping track of it. But the final outcome is beyond doubt.

"Uboooon!"

I run over as fast as I can, feeling panic taking over.

"Ubooo - oh hi John - oon! Are you okay? Is it bleeding? Is your neck broken? Do you need a bandaid?"

I kneel by the fallen girl, whose fate was surely caused by blindly following 'instinct'.

"Sorry! I just wanted to scare you... oh no, it might be terminal. There's no time-!"

I glance at John.

"I'll fetch the nurse - no, there's no time for that. We need to operate, now."

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“We’re not going anywhere dangerous, so no need to worry,” I replied while I started writing on the piece of paper, “And we won’t be out for long. Should be back by night time latest.”

Unless, of course, something else came up, which seemed to be a common occurrence around here. Still, that wasn’t necessarily something I wanted to think about for now.

“For the rest...Well, I’m sure Pyry wouldn’t mind, though don’t turn his room upside down,” I continued as I scratched my head, “Though considering how you even know where he keeps stuff like pen and paper, you must have made yourself quite at home already.”

Curiosity must have been a domineering part of his nature. But since Pyry didn’t seem to mind, it was hardly a problem. He did say that he wasn’t really keeping anything out of the ordinary in his room anyways…

The advantages of having everything in your body and mind, I suppose.

“As for someone reliable...honestly, I’m not sure who will be staying at the dorms, and while Jake would probably be here to help, he can hardly do much if something Turnside related comes up. Maybe Lucille, the blonde with the rich girl looks who is in the common rooms right now. But at any rate, just contact me if something happens.”

While I wasn’t sure how much I could trust Lucille, she supposedly delayed that monster on her own, so...she could probably come up with something in case something dangerous happened.

“Not that there should be anything to worry about tonight,” I said as I handed over the completed list of codewords, “But it’s good to be aware of what is happening around the place. That way, you can’t be taken by a surprise.”

Thanking Ru for his help again and bidding him farewell, I stepped outside of Pyry’s room and made a beeline towards my own. There was one last thing to take care of before heading out, in the end.

“Hey,” I said with a smile as I closed the door behind me, “Want to come with us on a trip?”

It was Gradient, of course, poking anything and everything in the room with a glint of curiosity in her eyes.

“We’ll visit some places around town, and I wouldn’t want to leave you alone here,” I continued as I sat down on my bed, “Or if you want, I can ask Jake to keep you company.”

Both options were much better than just leaving her on her own here with nothing to do.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The flow of time returns to normal. For some reason, the Ubon that should be behind him is now in front of him, her rump to the sky. Also, there is a familiar scooter behind her. That is the cue he needs to put two and two together.

“…I claim no responsibility for this.”

So swift to avoid any trouble; as expected of John Dove. By the way, he is standing rather awkwardly—legs too separated, having halted mid-failed dodge. Clearing his throat, the boy restores his usual morose, lax posture. Ubon whines and moans, but there are no signs of real physical damage. She really is as hard-headed as they come—

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    “Uboooon! Ubooo—oh hi John—oon! Are you okay? Is it bleeding? Is your neck broken? Do you need a bandaid? Sorry! I just wanted to scare you...oh no, it might be terminal. There's no time—! I'll fetch the nurse - no, there's no time for that. We need to operate, now.”
    Right now, in this very moment, Prushka and John Dove could not be any more different. Rather than the two adopting an expected degree of concern in the face of an accident, they are on opposite ends of the spectrum of worry and apathy.

“…so many retorts in my head right now,” muses John, rubbing his temples with the yolks of his fingers while digesting the absurdity of Prushka’s words. “So many.”

He will not retort, though. That would drag this situation into a headache-inducing direction. Instead, he closes the distance to the overreacting little girl and the one giving him an eyeful of shapely legs and a well-sculpted derriere.

“Calm down and look at her properly, Prushka. Ubon is perfectly fine.”

However, as if rejecting her current, unwholesome posture, John goes through the effort of turning her around so she is lying prone on the pool floor.

“She’ll perk up just fine with a bucket of cold water to her pretty face,” he says in his ever-quiet timbre. He sounds almost considerate. “Right Ubon?”

A merciless man, John Dove.

And speaking of the absence of Mercy, what to do about the very reason he came to the pool in the first place?

Guess I’ll slip a note under her door or something.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Fine? What do you mean fine? She faceplanted! That's gotta be a broken nose at least! She's obviously-!"

Wait, hold on a second. John's right. Calm down and look at her properly.

I pause, at the end of my breath, and carefully examine Ubon as she lies face down.

Neck, okay. No blood. Back is as limber as ever. Arms fine. Legs good, and behind...

"-fine."

At last I see.

"So this is why Hisa got all grabby..."

Xandra... maybe you were onto something after all.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye & Zee

"..."

---For Zee, it is certainly a battle of pride.

While his form is certainly that of a small kitten, adorned with a crimson neck scarf, his attitude is seemingly that of a cat many times his age. Indeed, he does not beg or meow in the face of a human that has suddenly gone quiet in it's presence, no, it is silent, simply staring at his opponent in this clash of wills, unwilling to do anything other than stare, searching perhaps, for the moment in which the pride of the opposition breaks, even when she extends her hand to get closer, he simply tilts his head to regard it as it approaches, and does little else...

Yes.

Because this is not a victory...

Not yet.

But he can wait.

Thus, his owner is left to battle her own opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne
    "Really? Cat? I figured you more of a dog-type person. See, you have that dog-like aura... in a completely good way, of course," he said, impish grin floating on hsi face. "The type of person who always wants to help out and please those they know, and all they expect in return is some affection and headpats in return. Well, I can supply the latter at least."

"...Well, a dog would be cool too... But Zee was a gift."

As for that particular comparison with her character, well...

Maybe?

It's sort of hard for her to really comment on it because it hits a bit too close to home-!

But-!

"But you'd supply the head-pats for my good behavior huh? Ok. I'll keep it in mind~"

Her pride as a self-proclaimed older sister would never allow such a thing to actually happen of course, she was meant to hand out the head pats rather than receive them herself, but...

...She wasn't really praised too often either...

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne
    "As for romantic comedies, well... I tend to watch what's showing in the movies. Much Ado About Nothing, the Branagh one, was pretty fun. And Sleepless in Seattle, ah... that one's even more fitting over here, not so far from there. Still, right now I suppose my favorite would be the one you want to see," Hawthorne continued smugly. "And for guns, well... isn't that a bit hasty? We barely know each other, Ms. Skye. See, I'd appreciate you wining and dining me first, at least."
    "I'm working on it~! Sleepless in Seattle sounds like it might be a good one-!"

A riposte-!

This time, she had come here knowing what to expect, so she wouldn't be pushed onto her back foot so easily-!

But before she could continue herself...

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra
    "... I want to pet you," Sierra said with a sullen expression, glaring at the cat. "Bring your tiny head closer."
    ...The cat's battle resumes.

It's slow, overly dramatic battle.

Yes.

Well aware of what it being asked of it, but unwilling to comply immediately, it is only after another second or two that the cat finally speaks in response to this request, letting out a small meow, before approaching slowly but purposefully, not letting on that this was probably the ultimate plan all along, and...

"Oh, he's approaching you. That means you can pick him up if you want."

...She goes back to smiling cheerfully at Sierra.

"He's a good cat."
    Last edited by Airen; September 6th, 2020 at 09:39 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen
    "T-t-that's not it, Vier! You can totes come with me if you want! I j-just thought we had agreed to go somewhere and I had forgotten it, y'know? Since you showed up all expecting for us to be heading out. Though, uh, it's not gonna be anything that interesting... nor anything like that either! I haven't been that fast, y'know! It's just..."
    So it actually wasn't that... Despite what she thinks, Aleen is actually really pretty and I would like to say a good bit of guys would try to get her that fast. As for plans... I did have a plan for what I wanted to do today with you. I know you wouldn’t agree with me on it if I told you. Since it involves us chasing someone and me getting nearly kickked or kicked in the face. However... If things did change from that outcome... I wouldn’t mind if it doesn't end up exactly as last time. It would be nice to just spend a day out with Aleen not worrying about the upcoming future for a little bit. Especially since this might be the last time, I might be able to once I start investigating Turnside-related details as the week gets closer and closer to ending.

"... I want to look presentable. Not like a kid or a teen but... you know, like someone who can be taken seriously. If I find that guy, I want him to properly listen what I hafta say, and not treat me like a child. If I had to give it a proper term, err, well… Would you get it if I said it was a 'surprise business meet?' Or does that make it even more confusing?"
    “Oh in that case, I guess it explains why you’re dressed better than normal. As for looking more adult...”

I gave Aleen a onceover. While last time, I teased her about looking too nice and made things weird for her since to my knowledge it was just a casual stroll through town. If that was her goal last time… Then by all means, she looked and dressed the part. While I’ve never been interested in fashion, I did have to attend West German formal parties as a counter-espionage operator. Typically that meant being a waitress or valet driver, however on occasion we were forced to dress up. Which is difficult being a teenager at an adult’s party.

So I was taught some simple rules. First, you need to wear the right amount of makeup. Too little makeup makes you appear young and inexperienced. Too much and it seems like you’re trying too hard. Aleen seems to have done that properly. Next up is the choice of clothes. Make sure your outfit is coordinated properly and have the outfit be conservative. Check. Check. The biggest issue would just be how she talks, but other than that she looks like the epitome of a young lady.

“Yup. You look like a respectable young lady. So we can go whenever, you’re ready.”

I had a feeling on who we might be looking for. But just in case, it didn’t hurt to always ask.

“So what kind of guy are we looking for? I’m presuming an older gentleman?”

If it’s that Jack guy again… I wonder why he instantly ran from Aleen as soon as he saw her... To my knowledge, Aleen couldn't hurt a fly physically, verbally she might overwhelm people, and if what she says is true. Jack would see her as a "brat" and wouldn't treat her serious enough to instantly run away at first sight.

Elise Pelltier

Elise carefully closed the book, and crossed her arms as she stared back into that singular eye, unable to shake the feeling that she was looking down the edge of a knife.

I don't think I've ever seen Souma look this engaged before, wondered Elise as she felt the demon's own curiosity, Maybe this was a mistake? I could've been patient, and waited to see if Vivienne could help instead, but, well... I think it's too late to back out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Souma Nubata
    "--- Show me."
    "We're not going there to gawk at them. Okay?" began Elise, "I'll show you where they are, but I want to move them out of there, and give them a proper burial. I-I don't like the idea of just leaving them there like that. My friend who found them said that their bones are in pretty rough shape and rather fragile. It's going difficult to move them safely, but I think you've got a light enough touch for that."

Elise frowned for a moment as she considered how, to get there.

I know Jake must've opened up some other way into the forbidden section of the dormitories when he let Hisa and Pyry in there during the Test of Courage, but I've got no idea if they've sealed that back up or not...

"Plus the only way there that I know of requires a... certain kind of finesse I don't have," continued Elise, "Although I suspect you've got it in abundance. I-I'll need to grab some things to transport them in. It should only take me a minute. We can meet back up outside the dormitory?"

I can probably use the duffel bag I brought some of my stuff in... maybe grab a few towels and use them as a burial shroud? Ehh, I'm getting a little makeshift here.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    She had signaled for Alex to wait earlier, whispering to the young french "I'll be back..." before turning around and vanishing behind the nearby shrubbery. The quiet girl was gone for a few moments, hidden by trees and bushes; was she changing? What exactly was she doing? Some time had passed... did something happen to her? Before it seemed like she had been gone for a second or two too long, the girl that had gone into hiding returns... but rather than finding answers, Alex Terrot was now presented with more questions instead -- what had emerged from the bushes was not the girl in the white sweater and long skirt. It wasn't the black haired girl with the empty blue eyes and an ample bosom. It was...

"Greetings, my dear butler. My name is Adelaide... Adelaide Alvena Chesire."

She smirks. Her lips curl into a light smile, one that may have little hint of mischievousness. With measured, light steps, as if she is walking onto the main floor of a dancing ballet, she approaches Alex Terrot, hand extended for 'his' to take.

"Shall we go and measure the merits of this establishment then, my dear butler? I see that there are guests over there... or would you rather not get entangled with these strangers? Visitors from Canada would definitely not happen to know some strange students at Road's End, would they?"

Adelaide had had her doubts about her butler's plans still. A small town like this one couldn't have more than a few recognizable faces after all. Just like a village church, by the end of the day, even if there were around a hundred people that attended, most faces, even if one could not associate a name with them, would at least be recognizable to a degree. The 'rare attendants' could be a thing of course. High Class citizens from Canada would make for a good excuse... but still...

Had her butler forged some fake papers? She mentioned something about getting inside to fool the staff... what exactly was she planning? Perhaps there was too much for her to explain, and she fancied keeping an element of surprise -- what are friends if not people that delight in surprising each other?

But that wasn't very butler-like of course...

...oh.

Yes...

She cannot feel anything normally.

But she had never gone through such an experience before.

To be killed that is.

Thus it is normal that she is disturbed.

This is some kind of bad joke perhaps?

Or is it the person that is pulling all the strings behind that is testing her once more?

Liana Skye is talking with him. What kind of relationship do they have? Are they in cahoots? Is she a collaborator of his, a helper of sorts?

Perhaps that Liana Skye could be made to kill her this time.

Who knows.

It is only natural that she stops cold in her tracks and stares at the people in the distance. Her mind is processing the information, and perhaps the shadow of the emotions long gone... have emerged once more to disturb the usually emotionless girl. After all, Vivienne Bianchi 'should' not feel anything anymore... but that is not entirely correct isn't it. Something festers deep inside her every day, and she has to purge it away regularly. Was 'it' the cause of the imaginary laughter perhaps?

Whatever, Vivienne Bianchi cannot be allowed to exist here. She was never here in the first place, was she? No, it was Adelaide Alvena Chesire who was present instead. A woman that had never met that man. Someone whose roads never intersected with his...

Blog Entries
    Prushka & John Dove

"U-ugh, no... not the cold water... cold water is mean and unswimmable..."

Letting out a groan of resurrection, Ubon finally started to recover from her surprise, up-and-close meeting with the front tire of Prushka's scooter. She awkwardly staggered up to a sitting position, rubbing the back of her head while mumbling something in a language that sounded much more like nonsense than even her native tongue... or perhaps her accent was just that strong when it came down to stuff like that. Still, while Prushka and John had engaged in a subdued argument of sorts as to what should be done with her, she finally started to realize where she was again, and when she did...

A sheepish grin blossomed to her face.

"Aha, ahahaha... w-well, see Prushie? When you act on instinct, you never know what might happen! Sometimes you get to give Johnnie a good scare, sometimes a scooter gives you a good scare, but it's almost always something different - for realsies," Ubon said, nodding towards the smaller girl. "It can lead you to a lotsa unexpected stuff, and moments you wouldn't have otherwise. And heck, when you act on instinct, all you gotsta do is worry 'bout the right now, instead all those other little things that might be troubling your nogging!"

Still sitting sprawled on the pool room floor, dressed in her one-piece racing swimsuit of colours with for the ocean, Ubon giggled enthusiastically and scooted a bit closer to John. She then raised her hand and gave John's thigh a few wet pats, leaving a darker handprint on his pants that now felt sort of moist.

"For example! All I gotta worry right 'bout now is whether or not Johnnie's gonna do something mean to me. I mean, he tries to act all polite 'n stuff, but he's got a meanie side underneath it all," Ubon said with an impish grin. "I think he's the type that bullies the girls he likes 'cause he wants their attention all to himself, for realsies. So you better watch out 'round him!"

The last few sentences were said in a theater-whisper aimed at Prushka, though it was hard to say if Ubon was making a joke or if she really thought John wouldn't hear.

"Anyways! Just give it a try, and you'll see what I mean. Sometimes not thinking is the best course of action," Ubon added, before turning her grin towards John. "See, I'm trying to teach Prushie here how to have fun and how not to worry 'bout things you can't do anything 'bout right now."

She tilted her head at the boy, the cyan hair sticking against her tanned skin.

"Do you think you'd need lessons in that, Johnnie?"

Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Hey. Want to come with us on a trip? We’ll visit some places around town, and I wouldn’t want to leave you alone here. Or if you want, I can ask Jake to keep you company.”
    For some reason, the latter option just earned a confused head-tilt from the girl. However, what came to an answer...

"Muuuuu~!"

From the way Gradient practically jumped down from the bed (she had been using it to reach the top shelves to go through their contents), she certainly seemed ready to hit the town and explore some places. Indeed, the energy and enthusiasm she radiated was practically contagious, and seeing her quickly start putting her socks on (she did like to go barefeet whenever she could) was a sure-fire sign that the girl was more than ready to leave the tiny dormitory room behind.

However, while she was getting dressed, Gradient stopped for a moment, a quizzical, bit wondering expression coming over her face.

While sitting on the bed, the girl directed her eyes at Hisa, and let out a now-familiar sound.

"Fooo~?"

Well, that expression and that sound said enough. Most likely, Gradient was wondering where they were going.

And knowing a bit more about her past, her actions and question made sense.

Indeed, Gradient must have naturally been someone who enjoyed exploring, investigating and spelunking in unknown places. However, at the same time, she must have been cautious regarding some locations, those that she considered dangerous. If her best friend from years ago, Remington Hartley, had been lost one one of those expeditions or events related to that, it would make sense that she was looking out for her current friends, making sure nothing happened to them.

"Taaa... fooo....?"

And now she was glancing around the room, as if expecting to find someone else with Hisa.

Was she, perhaps, asking where Colt was?

Hisa Momoi

“The guy we just talked to this morning,” I said while tilting my own head slightly, “You know, the one who called you Eliya. Did you not know that his name was Jake?”

She clearly understands names, so it shouldn’t be that confusing. It especially wouldn’t be confusing if…

An exasperated sigh escaped my lips as I rubbed my temple.

All I could do for now was to try my best and guess what she was trying to say.

“Where...the hotel, for now,” I explained while closely observing her expressions, “the library might have some books that could lead somewhere, and the people there might also know a thing or two.”

Even with the help of the others, there might just be too many things to check in one evening.

“Still, since you’re coming, I want you to put something on,” I continued as I stood up and went over to my cupboard, “I don’t want you to be too easily recognizable. Especially your hair, just that alone gives you away to anyone who has seen you before.”

Grabbing a few pieces of clothing from the closet, I handed over some proper pants and a big hoodie to Gradient, then assisted her with putting them on.

Perhaps I could have asked Pyry to lend her the baseball cap...or maybe some sunglasses. Probably would be more than good enough that way.

Observing the result for a few moments, I could at least claim that it was better than her not wearing the hoodie at all.

But with that done, Gradient looked at me again.

“...Colt?” I asked, not entirely sure what she meant, “I’m not sure where he is. He is probably somewhere in town, taking care of that...private business he mentioned, whatever that was.”

At least, that was the only thing I could think of. And I could only hope that he didn’t get himself into anything stupid again, especially after the discussion in the morning.

“Maybe we’ll find him on the way, who knows.” I said with a shrug.

Blog Entries
    Liana Skye & Adelaide Cheshire

For just a moment, Alex's expression betrayed her surprise and disbelief. Clearly, she had not expected a total change like this - much less one achieved in such a short amount of time, and without any equipment to speak of. Indeed, there was a look on her face that made it clear she was wondering if she was dreaming... yet it only lasted for a few seconds. Again, the reporter took what had happened in stride, and decided to simply roll with it.

Though no doubt, questions (and lot of them) would follow once they had done what they could over here.

"Well then... let us be off, mademoiselle - though I certainly wasn't expecting to be relegated to butler so quickly," Alex quietly said with a dry chuckle. "Nor did I expect such a change in verbosity. Ah well..."

With that, the duo of girls clad in disguises started approaching the yard of the Spade Queen Country Club.

Step by step.

Moment by moment.

Closer and closer to the person that had caused a strange sensation within
    Vivienne Bianchi
    Adelaide Cheshire
    and the two people with him.

And while it didn't feel like those sensations were coming back, there was still odd sense of buzzing at the back of her head.

Still, the scene they arrived to was rather... unexpected, to say the least.

"V-very well. I will pick you up now."

So said a tiny girl, probably around thirteen or fourteen years old, who squatted for a moment to pick up a coal-black cat that was wearing a red neckerchief - and who was engaged in some sort of staring contest with the girl in question. Gingerly, almost like she was somewhat afraid she would hurt the animal, the girl lifted it up from the ground and then proceeded to cradle it in her arms, patting the animal in an awkward manner that practically screamed she had never been this close to an animal before. While the girl did so, Alex and Adelaide finally noticed that for some reason, she was wearing an eyepatch - something rarely seen on someone so young.

However, as for the other two at the scene.

"Well well. Visitors perhaps? Out on a nature hike?" Hawthorne suddenly asked, drawing Liana's attention as well to the two new arrivals. "The air of Pacific Northwest really does good for the lungs, no?"

Alex chuckled to his gloved hand, and nodded her head slightly towards the man.

"Quite similar to the British Columbia, I would say - though milady seems quite taken with the scenery. It is a rather nice distraction from the hustle and bustle of city life after all," Alex spoke, her accent now leaning much heavier towards French - especially in the way she pronounced some letters. "Though the forest trails do leave something to be desired - at least those taken care of by the town itself."

Hawthorne snorted and took a drag off his cigarette.

"You can say that again. If it ain't the only one bossman is paying for in terms of upkeep, it's bound to be quite the nasty experience," he replied with a grunt. "See, that's why I avoid the woods myself."

His eyes then got a slightly mischievous glint to them, and he glanced towards Liana.

"Though my friend here seems like just the type to traipse through the woods to find trees to climb and pine cones to add to her collection," Hawthorne said and chuckled. "Quite different from the usual clientele here, I know."

In that moment, a strange sort of realization dawned upon both Liana, as well as Alex and Adelaide.

Hawthorne had just, completely naturally, validated the black-haired girl's presence here. He had, without missing a beat, indicated she was part of the guests of the Country Club, meaning that no other guest should question her presence.

Of course, Liana herself realized that this was a lie - but so did Alex and Adelaide as well. They, after all, knew that Liana was a student from Pinefall, not a member of the country club.

However, as for Liana... she got an odd feeling as she gazed at the young man (a butler perhaps?) and his lady. Perhaps they were famous or something? Some people she had seen in the television and then forgotten? Because while the blonde young man looked a bit familiar, she certainly couldn't - at least right now - get to her head who he was. Even if his face was vaguely familiar, the way he carried himself and acted was that of a complete stranger. And the girl herself, yes... she was a complete stranger as well.

Though... something wasn't right.

That blonde hair put on twin-tails, and that dress of ruffles that was fit for a bisque doll...

For some reason it brought something to mind.

Something like...

Sixty-two.

That was right. Sixty-two dresses spread across all of your luggage. How they’d managed to fit in there you had no idea, but you were never going to let anyone pack your clothing for you every again.

Right now your room could be called a war-zone at best, colorful dresses strewn about, poofy skirts hanging from the ceiling as you pulled each new dress out with a deeper look of despair.

No long sleeve shirts.

No jeans.

No shorts.

Not even a T-shirt.

... Was that a scene from some movie?

Well, whatever it was, the memory was already fading from Liana, fast.

Instead, she found herself staring still at the two newcomers.

"Well, isn't that fine? We hardly live in the 18th Century anymore," Alex said and chuckled again. "I think a lady is allowed to climb trees if she so wishes."

Hawthorne returned the laugh, glancing at both Liana and Sierra.

"Yeah, you can say that again."

Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Yup. You look like a respectable young lady. So we can go whenever, you’re ready.”
    Aleen let out a "Humph!" and put hands on her waist in a rebellious way... but the way she barely suppressed her grin told that she wasn't seriously miffed off - just ribbing at Vier in return.

"Well of course I look totes like a young lady!" Aleen replied in a mock-huff. "'Cause I am one! So yeah, let's get going instead of burning daylight."

With that, the bluehead giggled a bit and nudged Vier's shoulder playfully with her fist, before stepping outside (after grabbing her handbag) and closing the door after her. Once it was locked, Aleen started leading the duo towards the exit, intending on heading out of the dormitory with relative haste, from the looks of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “So what kind of guy are we looking for? I’m presuming an older gentleman?”
    "G-gwah!"

Well... Aleen just bit her tongue.

"How did you--- W-wait, aha! Ahaha, ahahahaha!" Her reply came out stammered, before she realized her mistake and managed to make it into an awkward, forced laughter. "I-I mean, why would I look for an older guy? It's not like I've got tastes like that! No way in H-E-Double Hockeysticks! Eugh!"

Well, while her protests were quite numerous, that part did seem to be true, at least. That could be judged by merely the way she twisted her face and let out a retching sound at the mere thought.

... Though that expression soon turned into a grumble.

"... I guess he's a bit older, though. W-whatever, the point is, it's a business meet of sorts. I've got this... mm, friend, I'd say. We've kept in contact with letters and this new thing called e-mail, mostly about this guy. See, I want to talk to this guy, and she's working for him. The guy doesn't exactly know I'm here, and if he did, he'd probably get totes jittery and nervous," Aleen explained as the two of them exited to the overcast air of the campus gruonds. "So I asked her to make sure he's in town tonight where I could catch him pants-down... not literally of course. That way, I could maybe have an actual conversation with him."

Aleen's hands gestured wildly while she expained.

"Does that make any sense?" She then asked, turning to look at Vier.

Elise Pelltier
    [BGM]

It was easy enough to get Souma to agree with the plan, though Elise got the feeling that when the boy asked more specifically where he was supposed to wait, he was able to ferret out the location of where they were going from her answer.

Still, he wouldn't get very far. Getting all that she needed took Elise only few minutes, and soon enough, she was back outside, under the grey skies of Road's End.

Her eyes scanned the surroundings, searching for any sign of Souma... and soon enough she found him.

Well of course.

There he was, right where they were going.

Leaning against the wall next to the blocked door to the abandoned part of the dormitory at the other end of the building. Eyes closed, hands folded across his body, looking like he was either comatose, sleeping or having turned into a pillar of salt. It was hard to say whether or not he was actually breathing... though fortunately, after having walked a bit closer with her duffel bag, even Elise could see the miniscule signs of the boy's chest rising and lowering.

"......... Heh."

Souma let out a quiet chuckle as he heard Elise's footfalls on the grass, and opened his amber eye.

"... It's open," he said, nodding his head towards the door. "Looks like someone... opened it... last night."

Well, that was fortunate?

Though... had Jake left the door accessible on purpose? Or had he simply forgotten? Sometimes it was hard to say with that janitor...

Hisa Momoi

As it turned out, Gradient was satisfied with those answers, though she looked momentarily a bit wistful about the fact that Colt wasn't coming with them. Understandable, perhaps, as both the boy and Hisa were the closest friends she had right now, both having helped and saved her in their own ways. It would be natural for someone like Gradient to be worrying about one of them if they weren't around.

Still, all that being said, at least Gradient looked quite happy with the "gift" she had been given. The girl was beaming from ear to ear when she pulled the hood over her head, snuggling into it like some sort of small animal while enthusiastically sticking her hands into the front pockets for warmth.

Indeed, by the time the two arrived to the parking lot, where Pyry's car was waiting, she was still skipping happily while rubbing her face against the fabric like a dog or a cat.

A rather bizarre sight... though the one that greeted them at Pyry's vehicle certainly tried hard to compete.

After all, once by the car, Hisa could see that Pyry was already sitting inside on the driver's seat... while burying his face against the steering while and looking like he had just lost some sort of fight - with the losses being his pride in some way. Meanwhile Mercedes, who was also already there, was leaning against the car with a smug grin on her face, looking rather satisfied in herself - almost like a cat that had gotten to the larder.

One could only imagine what sort of verbal sparring match had happened here before they had arrived.

"He's pretty fun," Mercedes said once Hisa was within talking distance. "Like, the type that grows more and more red the angrier he gets - starts having trouble with words too. Could watch those reactions all day, girl - hope you don't, like, mind if I keep poking for them from time to time. Just for amusement."

That impish grin grew a bit wider as the starlet stood up, putting her hands to her hips.

"I can, like, see why you snatched him up," she continued, paused for a moment... and then cocked an eyebrow. "... Aside from, like, the obvious reasons."

Then the actresses eyes fell upon the prancing Gradient... and a frown came over her face.

"Though, uh, can I ask? Like, what the hell's this girl s'posed to---GEUH!"

It was a rather wondrous sound.

The one that came from Mercedes West, taken completely by surprise when a hoodie-wearing comet suddenly charged forward and caught her in a bear hug.

One that made her almost turn blue in the face.

... Indeed, speaking of fun things to watch, the image of Gradient hugging the crap out of Mercedes West, who looked like she was about to have a panic attack, was up there.

And while Gradient kept letting out happy cooing sounds...

"G-G-Gawd!!! WHAT THE HELL!?"

The actress let out something between a screech and a squeak.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"Guess that'd be your familiar, then, that keeps occasionally pinging my radars. At least you have enough wherewithal to properly tackle something like what you're planning then."
    “Why, you’d think I’d just bust open the door and start cursing everything in sight?” Even as a dry chuckle left her lips, Anna’s eyes never left Ramia’s form. “I’d rather not take care of that kind of “clean up” if I can help it. Leaves the taste of crap in my mouth every time.”

“Besides… that place has more spiritual wards layered about it than you can shake a stick at. Native American. And if you consider the library in that place…” Even as they walked towards the edge of the forest, the hotel loomed above them in the distance. “The chances of the owner being unaware of the Turnside are close to nil, I’d say.”

“And if he is, he’s either the luckiest…. or unluckiest, I suppose, nitwit alive.”

"Proof. That's what I'm going to need. Information only those who have visited the Glass House would know. Let's see... naming of the Crones should be enough. Those are something I know too, but non-members rarely do."
    A look of utter distaste , reminiscent as if someone had shoved a rotten egg under her nose, flashed over Anna’s face as Ramia brought up perhaps the most distasteful topic imaginable concerning the
    Glass Palace
    Klaaspalee

The Crones. The Elders. The Wise Ones. Many names, most full of absolute shit as far as she was concerned. For all intents and purposes, they were the leading “authority” at the Kyöpelinvuori… well as much as a massive mess of cabals and covens could realistically have a “leader”. They sat around the “Devil’s Table” – a meeting room unseen by any but the Crones themselves, where they decided… well not much, usually. In the end, the Crones were much like the Chaos Coven itself – a collection of disparate voices, rarely agreeing on anything meaningful. All of them were rarely even present at the Glass House itself, some hadn’t been seen for decades, actually.

The only thing they realistically agreed on was the supposed “neutrality” of the Glass House itself. Which, as far as she was concerned, was simply an excuse not to hold anyone to account for the crimes they commit. You could go and slaughter most of a cabal, destroy thousands of years of cumulative mythological history and once you got back to Kyöpelinvuori, the exalted “Elders” would force the eight-year-old whose family you just butchered to bow and scrape in front of you because it’s a “neutral gathering place for all”.

A flash of white-hot fury flickered through her veins.

And break bread with those Russian shitbags? Fuck that! The only thing that needs to be done is to shove that loaf down those bastards throat and have them choke to death on it!

As far as she was concerned, the Crones were emblematic of the fundamental rot inside Kyöpelinvuori and the Pentagrammon at large. Individuals with power, but with no real will to use it constructively to shape the world for the better. There was no need to wonder why supernatural blood was dying out everywhere. At the very least, stagnancy and decay was the only real answer provided by the Glass Castle. The world as well might be burning down around them and the Coven and the Crones would still find a way to bicker, disagree, and backstab one another over where to get the bloody fire extinguisher.

For all their preaching about “not bringing in outside politics”, there was enough politics within the Glass House to smother an ox.

In the end, there was no justice there. Her time at the Chaos Coven had made it aptly clear.

“Jeez, you really couldn’t have picked a better way?” Anna gave the merc a playful shrug. “I could have cursed you with my Evil Eye or something, you know? I mean, I’m not an exceptional kade, but even I can do that much.”

Having said that Eastern European witch let out a small sigh and waved her hand in a defeated manner.

Fine. While I might find her personality somewhat distasteful, at least Svensdotter is capable of greasing enough wheels to bring forth at least some type of meaningful decision from the Devil’s Table whenever the stars do manage to align. “

“Which is already more than I can say about the vast majority of our vaunted “Elders”, really.” Anna’s own opinions on the matter were evident in her voice. “Can’t say I’m a fan of that prepubescent shepherd girl look she has going on, but who am I to judge someone’s tastes, eh?”

"... I do have to ask, though. Are you, perhaps, a new, rising star, Red? High position yet not that much time spent at either place?"

"Taking threats and possibility of fighting so personally, and working yourself up to such anger you're ready to kill... that's a mindset younger students usually have. It might be refreshing, but ultimately something that gets in the way of progress. If you can't work with someone who almost killed you yesterday, you can't really call yourself a mage or a mystic, now can you?"
    A dismissive snort echoed out the clearing as they finally reached the edge of the forest.

“And I’m perfectly fine with that. I don’t really give a shit about being a “good” mage.”

In the end, she’d never really found any real worth or value in the “mystery” of the supernatural. She didn’t find it particularly beautiful or breathtaking, nor was she obsessed with pushing the “boundaries” of magic or creating something new. The Turnside may have been another facet of the world, but it was simply something that functioned with its own set of rules and restrictions. To those immersed in it daily, the supernatural was their ordinary. Once you got used to it, it was simply mundanity of a different shade, nothing more.

For Anna, “magic” itself held no inherent value. The value of magic was purely in how one could pragmatically apply it to shape the world for the better. Magic was simply a tool for her. A useful tool. A tool that required dedication and effort to master, yes, but a tool nonetheless.

Much like power and money, the worth of supernatural strength and knowledge lay in how one applied it. Having things just for the sake of having them was simply the epitome of blind and repulsive greed. Which was why all those supernatural relics of the past who just sat on their ass doing nothing with their accumulated influence and supernatural might may as well continue on their path towards decay and irrelevancy, as far as she was concerned.

“In the end, I just have no intention to hold back against anyone who comes at me with the intent to kill.” Wry humor crept slowly back into her voice. “Something I’ve learned the hard way, eh?”

“Besides, you should know how things go on the battlefield, right?” The Estonian girl rested her back on a nearby tree in a lazy motion before digging the silver snuffbox from her pocket. “Those who attack others with lethal intent shouldn’t really complain about things when the tables get turned. That's all.”

“I don’t mind working with people that have tried to take me out in the past, but…” Anna flashed the other girl a predatory grin even as one of her pine toothpicks jutted out from the corner of her mouth. “My own experiences tell me that usually when you let people that try to kill you go, they’ll end up causing massive pain in your backside at the most bloody inopportune moments…”

“...or show up the next day with more friends.”

"Besides, you wouldn't be the first one to try to kill me and succeed,"

"That way, those threats have lost a bit of their bite to me."
    Anna burst into a small chuckle as those words reached her, filled with both amusement and intrigue. So that’s how it was? Well, considering what she knew about Cleopatra’s Coils it wouldn’t be all too surprising. They were definitely specialized towards classical alchemy, that much was for certain. Those quick drawings she’d seen in that journal she’d managed to dig up had made that much clear. If she had to put her finger on it… some variation of Ancient Greek or Ptolemaic chrysopoeia, perhaps. And some of those arrays most assuredly suggested that…

“Well, I can certainly imagine something like that coloring your perception of life and death, alright.”

Especially considering that I’ve already died twice last week myself.

“But… I see…” A teasing grin flashed on Anna’s face. “So that’s why you sound old as dust, Indy. As old as the artifacts you're chasing, huh? Referencing some old hags from the Coven like they’re your best mates doesn’t make one sound quite like a spring chicken, y’know?”

Transmigration of the soul… Would make sense from what I saw from that tattoo of yours.” The girl in red let out a deep sigh. “The original Coil of Mehen then? The coiled serpent that shields one from the darkness during the Twelve Hours of the Amduat?”

“Interesting…” A brief glint of competitiveness flickered in her eyes, almost as if she’d been presented with a challenge, before vanishing completely. “Well, in any case, as I said earlier, I’m not really interested in fighting you if I can help it. It's not really what I’m around these parts for, anyway.”

The toothpick rolled around from one end of her mouth to the other, even as the trees around them rustled slightly in the wind, and the gray skies swirled above.

“Setting that aside for the moment… You believe me now or should I get my graduation robes from the Coven?” The girl let out a theatrical sigh. “They’re terribly cumbersome and that bloody pointy hat gets stuck in everything so I usually don’t bother with them, really. But if you insist…”
    Last edited by Mellon; September 8th, 2020 at 05:24 PM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

---It's just a small thing, no big deal really.

A fragment of some forgotten memory, the remnants of a movie perhaps, or of a television show, something she had seen and then disregarded as ultimately irrelevant, pointless information, a lost fragment that had been awoken by a strange connection in her brain, of sixty-two dresses, and the bizarre manner in which they had been shoved into a single suitcase, yes...

Something to disregard, to toss aside, yes.

Something like that is best forgotten one might think, and indeed, it is a memory that is fading away fast, like water draining through a sieve, but...

It is unfortunate.

Yes.

She is not one to believe in meaningless things, fragments of broken memories, after all...

---The sensation was quite similar to what she had experienced in that god-forsaken capsule.

It had been dark then.

Dark and lonely but never quiet.

Shown memories on repeat, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, none of those had involved dresses, she wasn't really the dress type outside of the idol gig, Sora hadn't really been one either, so it was quite strange yes, a bit strange.

---So where had it come from?

Was it a movie?

It's a train of thoughts that flash by quickly, indeed, it's a storm that empties itself out along with the sieve, one that never even reaches her physical form, as she turns to regard two strangers, smiling warmly at the antics of a cat and a child.

Because it's fine.

She hasn't been dropped back into that place.

Her existence is firm, she is living in the present, right here and now, out in the countryside.

No need to put too much thought into things that don't matter.

Everything is okay.

She can't even really remember what the strange thought was about, so...

"Pine cone collection huh?"

Ultimately, she laughs at the thought.

"Really, I'd climb trees just for the sake of climbing trees, it's fun, and it's good exercise... These sorts of clothes are better for a country-side trip anyway, acknowledge the inevitability of the outdoors and all that~"

She closes one eye in a wink.

Rolling with the lie Hawthorne had told just as seamlessly.

"Although, if I was gonna go out and collect something from the forest... It'd probably be rocks. Strange stones are always fun to discover."

It's true enough, you'd be surprised what you could find just wandering around in places...

Still...

"But that's neither here nor there I suppose, to whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with today?"

In other words...

...Names.

Ordinarily, she might not care too much about them, but...

Strange feelings are strange feelings.

As for Zee...

Well, Zee is a good cat.

While the grip of the younger girl is a bit awkward, and it is somewhat in his nature to rebel at what seems like completely random times, the small kitten simply accepts the hold without too much fuss, in fact, after a small meow...

He even attempts to nuzzle up against her face.

---It's probably a calculated move, designed to be as cute as possible, but then again...

Cats are strange creatures.
    Last edited by Airen; September 9th, 2020 at 06:25 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Elise Pelltier

Elise darted up to her room, hastily grabbing the items she'd need. She left the copy of Œuvres complète de François Villon she'd carried with her from the reference library on her nightstand in the dubious company of a certain other book. Digging through her closet, she recovered the mostly empty duffel bag, dumped out the few odd items of hers still inside it, and tossed her pair of water bottles, the battered old blue metal bottle still full of holy water, and the white plastic Montreal Expos bottle, into the bag.

With the duffel bag slung over her shoulder, she made her way back outside, feeling a surge of excitement that she'd finally have the opportunity to explore the abandoned part of the dormitory, despite the grim task she had planned.

Can't believe it took me this long to get in there. I should've cashed in that favour from Travis sooner, but then again, I suppose I never had any idea what was coming back then, did I? I still thought there was still a whole year ahead of me, not just two days.

Elise found Souma, seemingly dozing, by the boarded up door that led into the forbidden section of the dormitory. Or, at least, it had been boarded up.

Quote Originally Posted by Souma Nubata
    "... It's open... Looks like someone... opened it... last night."
    Either by accident, design, or some sort of accidental design, Jake, or perhaps whoever he'd delegated the task to, had neglected to reseal the doorway back into forbidden section of the dormitory.

Jake, somewhere, I'm sure the old janitor is greatly disappointed in you. I, however, am not. Although sneaking in by the window does seem like it'd be more fun than just using the door...

"This must have been how they got in last night during the Test of Courage last night. I guess Jake forgot to close it back up again after we finished," speculated Elise, "Well, this isn't the way I thought we'd be using to get in there, but I'm not going to look this gift horse in the mouth!"

Elise took hold of the old door handle and gave it a pull, opening the door into the dilapidated half of their home.

"Après toi?" offered Elise as she held the door open.

Hisa Momoi

“Isn’t this what they call karma…?”

Though...it made sense. Both Gradient and Mercedes were there at the incidents, so she must have been relieved, in a sense, to be able to see Mercedes again.

A sight that made me hope even more that we wouldn’t have to go through the same thing again. One could only endure seeing their friends die and then come back to life only to drift towards the same fate again…

My eyes went back and forth between Pyry, who was still groaning in defeat and Mercedes who was about to be squeezed to death by Gradient, who was, of course, oblivious to it all.

Still, while it could have been amusing to see how things would escalate further, it probably was a better idea to assist Mercedes before she snapped.

“You need his consent if you want to bully him, not mine,” I said while closing the distance, “Just go easy on him. Wouldn’t there be better targets to bully, anyways?”

It did make me wonder what exactly they talked about. And what exactly she meant by ‘obvious reason’...though, I could only guess that it had something to do with what he looked like.

It also made me want to make a comment about Colt just to see her reaction, though it probably would have been distasteful considering how sh may or may not learn later what happened to him last time.

“She’s, uh…”

Having reached the pair, I pat Gradient’s head and try to ease her into letting go of the other girl.

“Well, she is sort of related to what you’ve seen. I’ll explain later, though should start at the beginning. At any rate, she’s not harmful.”

There would be no point in lying, as she would likely just spend her time trying to find the truth then. And while I was sure that she would have been able to form some sort of a connection even on her own...it would have been just a waste of her time.

With the two now separated, I gestured towards the car with my head.

“Shall we go? I can explain some things on the way.”

Elaine Winters
    Location - End's Beach

After I was finished with my business, I headed back to the Dorms for a minute, swinging in, parking the car like nothing was wrong. Just a casually truant delinquent here, cruising 'round town and not giving a hoot.

Mostly because I needed to feed two never-ending stomachs now, so I felt it was best to get ahead of that before anything serious came up this evening. Some quick snacks to go, nothing too serious.

Quick stretch of the legs, change of clothes real quick, then back into the saddle, needed to go ahead and bother someone else.

So, swinging my backpack over my shoulder, I trotted back out into the car, keeping a gentle eye over my passenger as we went.

I have things I could look into by myself, true.

But I'm not going to shirk obligations that I'm holding myself to so simply.

My apologies, Mr. Oceandrop, but my attendance is a secondary priority now.

I sighed glumly, grumbling to myself as I glowered out the windshield, down the road.

I didn't need some waste of time like that when I've got things that're more important to me. So fine, I'll do my best to show up to some bullshit-ass make-up quiz if it'll get you out of my face.

Someone like me trying to be an 'ordinary student' is something that has never worked out, and never will. If it isn't 'gribbly in the next state, pack your bags', it's...

Well.

I reached down and carefully picked up the water bottle, sipping at it gingerly.

Still.

It was something that needed to be taken into account.

I'd have to find some sort of arrangement, ask a favor, maybe. Even tonight, maybe.

Things to consider, I supposed, shelving them for the moment as I pulled up.

"Alright then," I said, squinting around the beach now that 17 was once again within gravitational orbit around me, "Let's see what he's getting up to, hm?"

I never really asked, last time.

Maybe I should have.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

"Well of course I look totes like a young lady! Cause I am one! So yeah, let's get going instead of burning daylight."
    “Yes yes milady.”

I acted the part of a beleaguered assistant to a haughty young lady before joining her in giggling slightly. I casually followed behind her hasty gait and followed her out of the dorm. Granted, she could've been sprinting and I would've still been able to catch up.

"G-gwah!"
    Well... Aleen just bit her tongue at my casual guess at who we were trying to meet.

"How did you--- W-wait, aha! Ahaha, ahahahaha! I-I mean, why would I look for an older guy? It's not like I've got tastes like that! No way in H-E-Double Hockeysticks! Eugh!"
    “Putting aside your preferences for now. There’s only one reason why you would want to appear older and more adult. That’s to impress someone who once saw you as a child or only knows you as a child. As for why an older gentleman… Let’s go with my intuition.”

Actually, I just had a feeling it would be that eponymous Jack that we chased ‘last week.’ But her reaction at least stated that she didn’t like older men in THAT sense which made sense considering who she fawned over at school. Or at the very least, I would say she liked pretty individuals which made her statements yesterday… weird.

"... I guess he's a bit older, though. W-whatever, the point is, it's a business meet of sorts. I've got this... mm, friend, I'd say. We've kept in contact with letters and this new thing called e-mail, mostly about this guy. See, I want to talk to this guy, and she's working for him. The guy doesn't exactly know I'm here, and if he did, he'd probably get totes jittery and nervous. So I asked her to make sure he's in town tonight where I could catch him pants-down... not literally of course. That way, I could maybe have an actual conversation with him."
    So it was an older gentleman… However, Aleen had access to some interesting things. I wouldn’t say most rich heiresses had access to email or learned what it was… Which meant she had some military or technology connections. Which worried me... I knew she freaked out badly last week when she saw me. I could only imagine how bad it would be if she knew what I’ve done. While my missions were for the good of West Germany, for NATO, and for Democracy. The road to hell was paved with good intentions…

"Does that make any sense?"
    “I guess f you want to surprise someone, then you’ll probably get perfect points for that. However, I think it would probably be better if you had your mutual acquaintance sit this guy down at some restaurant. It would be more… polite for them and if they’re a gentleman they can’t leave an event so easily.”

At this rate, we’ll run smack dab into him anyways and it’ll trigger what I know. However, if something different occurred… The outcome could change nothing or drastically change everything. I won’t know until it’s been done at least once. My only solace is that potentially… I can take advantage of this ‘looped’ week.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

John glances at the wet patch on his pants, then at the grinning girl. He feels…well, nothing. Nothing in particular at the moment. What, is he supposed to feel something right now? Well too bad.

What to do? What to say? His plan to engage Mercedes West on the matter of her notebook is dead on arrival. Right now…well, he guesses he should be honest with Ubon. Besides, these two have already seen through (most of) his lies.

“You are rather full of yourself today, Ubon Sĕeklêun,” he says while dropping himself down to sit on the floor next to the girl laying prone. It would not do to have an extended conversation with him standing and looking down on the girl by his feet.

“I am stating the obvious here, but you want to be happy. You want to be surrounded with people who laugh at your antics, who go along with your enthusiasm, and who do and say things that make you laugh with joy.”

Well, that is probably expected of all human beings. It is only natural for people to prefer being surrounded with others who share their sense of values, including humor.

“I cannot be one of those people,” he then declares. “I cannot like you, nor can I laugh along with you. Just like I cannot resent you, nor do I wish for you to come to harm.”

Whether it is really the consequence of gazing for too long upon Her baleful yet sublime beauty, a trauma born of the events of that night, or a psychosomatic trap he has unknowingly created for himself; by now, the real cause is a worthless issue. Whether it is a curse, a spell, a disease, an aberration or a delusion—it does not matter to him. Whether somebody did it to him or he did it to himself, the result is that he is so warped that, despite having full awareness of his abnormality, he cares absolutely nothing for “fixing” it.

He only wanted to see Her. Now that he has done so, he has no want nor need for anything else. He acts solely for the perpetuation of his existence, like any other living being…well, that is not entirely true anymore, is it?

Something has changed.

Again, whether it is something he had lost and now regained, something he always lacked and has now acquired, or something he has always had yet only now stumbled upon it, it matters little. However, does John Dove even understand why Subaru Iburi, Alexstrasza Lockhart, Elaine Winters and Prushka have moved him so?

Well of course not. If he did, he would be a very different person.

With the sigh of a man much older, John rises back to his feet. His smile is as half-hearted as any of his rote displays of imitation of emotion.

“I cannot even apologize for being such a boring person.”

He regards Prushka with a nod as if to acknowledge that she is still there, but his eyes quickly set again on the girl still sprawled on the floor. To another man, it would be an ideal moment to take full stock of her anatomy.

“And while I certainly could use that lesson on ‘fun’…I came here looking for Mercedes West. It seems I missed her, and I guess I will not be able to get a hold of her anymore, so I should move on to something else. There’s plenty to be done before…”

He catches himself. Prushka does remember, but Ubon probably does not. As Pyry’s and Colton’s examples show, belonging to the Turnside is not synonym with awareness of the recursion of time.

“…in any case, I should get going. You two have a good time.”

They will definitely have more fun without him around, so he is, in fact, doing something good for them. Call it another triumph for thoughtfulness.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Lucille blinks at the sight in the common room, not sure what to think. Yes, they’re all watching television, something so refreshingly mundane, but she sees Sakura icing her forehead and she reconsiders her course of action. It is of the utmost importance, of course, but burdening her with problems when she was in that sort of state felt… wrong. No, cruel was a better word to describe it.

Yet, if she didn’t do it now, when would she be able to? Would the
    future
    past
    just repeat itself?

Those thoughts are interrupted by Alexstrasza Lockhart, face ridden with tears. The other girl parks herself in a recliner in despair, and Lucille takes a moment to process the sudden event. It happens all too quickly, and in an instant the casual mood of the room is effortlessly demolished by someone
    who does not care
    who wears everything on their sleeve.

Lucille’s eyes slowly move to the video tape in Alexstrasza's hands and remembers what Elise said earlier. It makes sense, now, but what lingers in her mind is that the vampire remembers and her killer is in the very same room. The expression on her face is tragic, but Lucille holds her tongue for just a moment, because beasts deserve no mercy. It is wrong of her to pity Alexstrasza for her inability to prevent Cesarina’s tragic death. Just because it is similar to her own woes does not mean she can be sympathetic. That crying girl would kill Sakura if she had the chance.

Lucille swallows the lump in her throat and repeats the words in her head like a mantra.

Beasts don’t deserve mercy.

It is true. Vampires, by their very nature, are enemies of humanity. And anything that threatens mankind is something she should slay. If she neglects her duty, Sakura will be killed in her stead. It’s unacceptable.

But these are all useless thoughts. It is not as if she can tear this facsimile of a human being in two with the Parting Gift right now. As denizens of the Turnside, she and her enemy have a masquerade to entertain, no matter how flimsy. No matter how much Alexstrasza Lockhart acts like it does not exist.

"What, exactly happens when we die? Is it just a sequel to life, this malaise of emptiness and suffering that continues until consciousness fades, or is there something happier at the end of the tunnel?"
    Lucille doesn’t say anything to this. The truth would give her away. Instead, she makes her way to a seat next to the other girl.

"H-how… c-can you stop other people from dying? Or is that something impossible?"
    “…I don’t know.” Lucille admits she does not. If she knew how to save the lives of others, she would never be here, bearing the burdens of the person she failed. “You just do the best you can.”

“And if that’s not enough…”

A pause, and a sigh. Lucille’s words are sympathetic, but hardly comforting.

“You live with the thought your best was never enough.”

Stretching, Lucille gives Alexstrasza the pitying smile you’d give to an injured animal.

“Still, aren’t your worries unfounded? You shouldn’t let paranoia get the best of you.”