Page 174 of 244 FirstFirst ... 74124164169172173174175176179184224 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,480 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 09.09.1994 (FRI)
    Weather: Rain

[Anything...well, do you think you could try and get Ubon on the way?] I inquired after a bit of thinking, [We haven't had the chance to talk since yesterday.]

I could only hope that they got back safely yesterday, but just like so many others, I have not seen Ubon or John either so far today.

[Still...you're right. It's like we pretty much find someone every night,] I continued, [But then, where would be a better place? The hotel is too far, and any place in the forest would be dangerous. It's either here, or the closed off section.]

Did it even really matter though?

It's not like there was a lack of food, and so far the teachers have not even noticed, if they even. cared at all.

Besides...it was friday. Sunday was close now, and it was honestly the least of our worries. Maybe, if we ever make it past that, we could do something about it.

[Anyways, they are sleeping still. I left them a note, will bring them some food on the way back. Speaking of which, I’ve been actually thinking of...just getting some proper sleep instead of classes today.]

Sheepishly, I scratched my cheek with a finger, but that was not something for Pyry to see.

[I already know what we learned today, so it wouldn’t be that big of a waste. I-if you want to rest too, I can just give you the memories of the lectures. Maybe could even convince one of the teachers to let it slip…]

The thought lingered for a moment, as I realized that I was completely clueless about anything regarding the teachers. The only interaction I’ve ever had with any of them was during classes - but even that was strictly just about the class materials. Even if they were probably worth talking to. The nurse, especially.

[Well, not sure yet. But things could get busy tonight as well, so some rest might be nice.]

In the meantime, my gaze wandered onto the duo of Inacio and Caleb again.

Rather, just Inacio.

Then, a thought popped into my mind.

Wouldn’t this be what Prushka would consider ‘wrong’?

But then, was it really ‘wrong’? And if so, how wrong was it?

Pondering about morality and the likes, I reached out towards Inacio’s being, slipping past his defenses easily. At the same time, my eyes were back on the toast that I’ve been nibbling on, and the cup of tea that I took another sip of.

Not that it prevented me from growing and twisting a weird sort of experience in Inacio’s mind.

The quiet footsteps on an old, faded carpet of a hotel room. A few dull clicks, as what seems to be a radio seems to come to life. A static noise, mixed with something else, something unclear that constantly breaks off while the radio is being tuned to the correct frequency.

Number nine

The static is suddenly gone, and some sort of a tune becomes clear.

Number nine, number nine, number nine

A cacophony of seemingly random sounds, along with seemingly meaningless words.

Who’s to know? Who was to know? Number nine, number nine, number nine...

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “Mornin, Indiana. You busy at the moment? If not, I have another treasure-hunt planned for this morning, you know? Who knows? Might be even more exciting than yesterday, you know?”
    "Hmm, I dunno, Red - you have some tough competition tonight."

Sitting in one of the armchairs, Ramia turned her head towards the raven-haired girl in the doorway and flashed a grin to her in response. Then she pointed the remote she was holding towards the TV. On the screen, some animated characters were running around, and everything seemed to be revolving a lot around a black-haired young boy who was doing some scheming at that very moment.

"See, Bobby's dad said he'd help him build a forth, but now he's postponing that promise to help plan Kelly's sweet sixteen party," Ramia responded with a chuckle. "So Bobby's planning on sabotaging his sister's party out of spite. It's very riveting I tell you, Shakespearian even~"

To her credit, the mercenary managed to hold a relatively straight face for a good ten seconds, before busting out in a chuckle. After she had had her fun, the dusky-skinned girl switched off the television and rose out of her chair, yawning slightly and stretching so that her back let out a satisfying popping sound. Afterwards she grabbed her jacket from the nearby rack and walked over to Anna.

"Eh, it's a rerun anyways. I've seen the episode before. So, what's up? That's quite the interesting promise, considering how last night turned out," she said, putting her hands on her hips and raising an eyebrow. "Not to mention we have those three to integrate today. I think Zhou said something about arriving around noon... though, considering the face you made, I guess it's my job to take them to the faculty office, huh?"

Ramia snickered a bit and patted Anna on the shoulder.

"Anyways, lead the way, Red."

Prushka

Ahti gave Prushka a long, hard stare that was somewhere between disgusted and shocked. The sudden shock in the atmosphere of the bathroom was a tell-tale sign of a clear misunderstanding, one that was about to be blown out of proportions most likely.

Case in point...

"... You wipe your butt with party paper?" Ahti asked, as if umable to believe his ears. "And you call me wild, Imp... Damn. That's just... damn."

It was hard to tell if the boy was sickened or somewhat impressed.

As this weird conversation was going on, the tiny girl had began her work with the boy's hair. As it turned out, it wasn't nearly as bad as the situation might have suggested. True enough, Ahti had probably never used shampoo, much less conditioner, but at the same time his mane was quite strong and vibrant. Thus, a naturally healthy hair that hadn't been touched with chemicals turned out to be quite easy to work with. Especially with Prushka's nimble fingers, which started making quick work of the knots and tangled-up parts that could be found here and there.

"Also, did you seriously just use two types of goo for that? Seriously, I just don't get the obsession you guys have with this sorta neurotic cleanliness," Ahti continued grumbling. "Hell, I've even seen some - Hey, watch the ears! - even seen some shops that advertise they do nothing but clean your hair. What's up with that? Why would you want some strangers to do things to your body and then even pay for it? It just sounds like... huh... sounds like... hrm... hmm... rrr... mmrrr..."

At some point the boy's speech started to fade away, and it was replaced by another sound entirely. The fluffy ears that had been flicking again and again as if in protest calmed down, and his mouth stayed shut. A small glance towards the boy's face told that he was experiencing something he certainly hadn't expected. Clear, shocked surprise... one that soon melted into a face so relaxed it was hard to believe it belonged to Ahti Jalopeura.

But why? It was not like Prushka had...

Rrrr, rrrr, rrr~

The sudden sound echoing from somewhere within Ahti made the realization dawn upon Prushka while she ran her fingers through his scalp and hair.

The boy...

... He was purring.

Just like a big, satisfied cat.

And he didn't even realize he was doing it.

--- Oh my.

Alexstrasza Lockhart
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Weather: Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "Ahhh, your bedside manner is so delightful, Doctor Whiteknife. If I was overcome with a fainting spell, would you catch me?"
    Noah tilted his head.

"... Hmm, probably not?" He responded in his usual, aloof way. "The floors are quite soft, and if I tried to interfere I might accidentally cause you to get hurt even worse. But don't worry, I'd be there to make sure to put your body in the appropriate medical position afterwards, until the ambulance was here..."

One part medical professionalism, one part just sheer natural tendency to bully people like Alexstrasza - Noah Whiteknife was truly an infuriating conversational partner. It was quite easy to see why Travis had been so frustrated with him yesterday. If these two had been working together for a longer time, the Canadian thug must have had a lot of trouble thanks to this attitude.

"But a mutant? If Cesarina Feroce is a mutant, what does that make you and I? As a human, I am unquestionably worse then Cesarina. As a friend, I am unquestionably worse then Cesarina. As a person, I am unquestionably worse then Cesarina. If I live, only to watch her die... Then I would be forced to accept that damnable truth - God's only pleasure is the torment of His followers."
    "... Oh, worry not..."

Noah flashed yet another of those genuinely fake smiles of his.

"... As a medical professional, I can guarantee that both you and I are quite human enough. Mundanely so, in fact. But your friend here," he said, pausing for a moment to look at Cesarina. "Her brain is quite something else. Elevated, one could say. Much more efficient, much smarter, much faster. No wonder she's the heiress of a multi-billion dollar company. Even her own body can't keep up. Why, I wonder if there's even a proper name for the condition he has. But as I said, your self-pity-parade is quite unneeded..."

The boy laughed refreshingly.

"She won't die. She simply needs few days to cool down, that's all~"

However, soon the laughter stopped.

"... Not to mention, you'd be quite foolish to even entertain such laughable truth. After all..."

Something in his voice made Alexstrasza glance towards Noah... and what she saw was quite surprising. For just one moment, the boy's aloof expression was gone. So was his smile. Instead it had been replaced by something darker, something sharper, something that made his eyes look downright cold as she stared at the medical report in his hands. Something that was far more fitting for a person who had seen the darkness of the world, and a face that not even all the members of the Turnside ever showed.

"God has no place in a hospital. He's not welcome here. The only thing that matters are the skills of the doctors."

But then, that coldness was brushed aside by that flighty smile once more as the boy turned his attention back to the blonde girl.

"... Or something to that effect, I'd say?"

He punctuated his words with a laugh.

Elise Pelltier

As it turned out, this week Elise had a little bit more luck than before. Knowing that Travis had taken over the kitchen, the common room having no one but Ramia (who was watching cartoons for some reason) and suspicious noises coming out of the dining room, Elise eventually made a note that Sakura's umbrella was missing from the lobby. Taking a quick trip to the main building eventually paid off, and as the brunette was looking through the hallways, she eventually ran - almost literally - into the older maid. Sakura had been coming around the corner, nose buried in some book. Thus, it was no wonder that she nearly barreled into Elise.

Luckily, however, her instincts proved to be quite good. As did her reflexes.

At the same time as she let out a surprised yelp, Sakura kicked the floor and spun to the right, whirling around Elise and lowering her stance and center of gravity. At the same time she took a good grip of the book in her hands and wielded it like a knife in reversed grip. From her position, she would have been in a perfect spot to stab Elise in the back... if what she had been wielding hadn't been a book.

"........."

For a moment, Sakura could only stare sheepishly at the book in her hands. Then she sighed and rose up from the floor, rubbing the back of her neck awkwardly.

"S-sorry, I was just... rather lost in my thoughts there," she said, before adapting her usual smile back to her face. "Good morning, Elise. Hopefully you were able to sleep well after last night? I know things got... quite weird, but without proper rest, we can't function properly during the day, you know? Especially since there's a lot to do today, isn't there?"

At least she had gotten back that "admonishing older sister" energy that came so naturally to her.

"Anyways, what's up? Anything I can help you with?" Sakura continued. "You looked a bit lost there. Were you looking for someone?"

Hisa Momoi

"Hmm? Something wrong?"

As Hisa watched from the corner of her eye at the results of her mental "message" - or rather, cacophony of sounds, she could hear Caleb ask that question from the other boy at the table. Focusing her gaze a little bit, the scarred girl could see how Inacio leaned at the table with his elbows and put her hand on his forehead, as if testing if he had a sudden fever. Even from this far away, one could see bullets of sweat falling down his head, and the boy had clearly grown pale. No, not just pale... he looked physically ill. As if he was about to puke. It was the face of someone who was suddenly afraid they were about to topple over and lose consciousness, or that they were hallucinating.

"I-I... I don't know," Inacio answered with a weak voice. "I... might be feeling unwell. M-maybe I caught a cold last night. I... ugh, I'm feeling a bit sick I think. Or maybe I just haven't gotten enough sleep."

Caleb frowned at his friend.

"... You are letting stress get to you. I said it yesterday too, did I not? Just because everyone's not getting along isn't your fault. It takes longer for people to gel together," the rose-haired artist replied. "Besides... well... I am to blame, too. Just because I lost my temper at them, I managed to ruin that whole event. So if either of us is to blame, it is me."

Inacio chuckled, weakly, and shook his head. He tried his best to offer Caleb an encouraging smile, but his worsening health clearly didn't make it easy.

"W-well, nothing we can't fix, right? I agree with those two on that regard," he said. "All we have to do is figure out a way how."

While the conversation continued, it was at that point that Hisa heard the voice of Pyry in her head once more.

[Honestly, a nap would be nice. I feel like I just managed to close my eyes and was already woken up by the doll. N-not that I blame you, that is. Still... the thought is tempting! If you think we can slip by unnoticed, then it's definitely worth considering!] The boy answered, and it was easy to hear a little more pep in his mental voice. [Anyways, I'll grab Ubon on the way there. Knowing her she should be awake already and raring for breakfast, right? I swear that girl has a metabolism of a hummingbird...]

While he was probably dressing up, Pyry hummed a tiny little melody in his mind - though it was most likely completely instinctively. After all, it sounded like one of those songs that one tends to come up on the fly and which don't even make sense - either lyrically or melodically.

[Plus, you know, she might have some good ideas about what to do with our growing group. Never a bad idea to get a fresh perspective. Anyways, see you in ten!]

So now the only thing to do was to wait for Pyry and Ubon to arrive.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

"... Hmm, probably not? The floors are quite soft, and if I tried to interfere I might accidentally cause you to get hurt even worse. But don't worry, I'd be there to make sure to put your body in the appropriate medical position afterwards, until the ambulance was here..."
    I nodded. As expected of Noah Whiteknife, he was a truly terrible person to be a doctor. In fact, to call him mediocre would be an insult to mediocre doctors across the globe, comparing them to someone so truly devilish that it would be kinder to call him a villainous scientist rather then a mediocre doctor.

"... Oh, worry not... As a medical professional, I can guarantee that both you and I are quite human enough. Mundanely so, in fact. But your friend here," he said, pausing for a moment to look at Cesarina. "Her brain is quite something else. Elevated, one could say. Much more efficient, much smarter, much faster. No wonder she's the heiress of a multi-billion dollar company. Even her own body can't keep up. Why, I wonder if there's even a proper name for the condition he has. But as I said, your self-pity-parade is quite unneeded..."
    His cheery life made me smile, even though his analytics were so completely wrong that I wanted to cry. For the first thing, I wasn't even human. If you tried to check my chest for a heartbeat, you wouldn't find one. I mentally prayed to all the lost brain cells that would occur the moment he made the mistake of trying to give me a medical checkup.

"She won't die. She simply needs few days to cool down, that's all~"
    That was fortunate. Of course, that just meant I couldn't move from this spot for the next three days. Which was perfectly fine, as I didn't really have any other plans. Except for finding allies for Devon. Oh, and tracking down this piece of waste attached to my soul and making sure she didn't do anything stupid. And attending classes. Actually, I had one too many things to do to watch Cesarina.

It was truly fortunate I had acquired such a useful and helpful familiar to watch over my best friend when I wasn't there. Naturally, I was sure Potemkin wouldn't have any problems with it whatsoever. I hoped I would run into someone more helpful, like a very stubborn rock that had eyes. Or maybe a spider that could talk. Anything would be an improvement, really.

I jabbed our connection several more times. I didn't give a damn what she was up to. Respond! I don't care if you're flirting or whatever, just let me know you're not doing anything stupid! I can't have you ruining my reputation, okay!? I may not be an entirely respectable person, but I have a modicum of social awareness that you seem to lack! If you ruin my social standing while I'm not there, I... I...

I might just not call you my friend anymore!

"... Not to mention, you'd be quite foolish to even entertain such laughable truth. After all... God has no place in a hospital. He's not welcome here. The only thing that matters are the skills of the doctors."

"... Or something to that effect, I'd say?"
    What an impressive visage. Most members of the turnside would shiver at the very sight; it was a bit like looking into the abyss. Of course, the issue here is that there is no abyss for me to look into.

I am the abyss.

"What a dangerous saying, Mister Whiteknife..." I said with a smile on my face as I glanced at him, debating if I should grab Cesarina's hand. My emotions were... not entirely in my control recently. I had treated Devon fairly poorly, and Potemkin had flustered me. I wouldn't take rational actions in this state. I settled for slowly drumming the blanket near her hand. This was what friends did, right? I was pretty sure they did. No, fairly confident. I had made a lot of friends recently, and didn't really have anyone else to ask for advice on the subject, so I had to trust my gut.

Friends absolutely drummed their fingers near their friends hands when they were lying comatose in a hospital bed.

"It almost sounds as if you took up medicine as a method of rejecting God. Do you have some sort of problem with..."

My smile shifted a bit, before I put it back into place.

"Our Holy Lord? I recently have had quite a few experiences with the Church, so perhaps I can absolve you of your sins!"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries

Liana Skye, Vier Wolff & Vivienne Bianchi

The trip to Owl's Nest in the cold, rainy morning had been quite uneventful, if one didn't count the stares of the older locals. Just like usual, people didn't seem quite keen on having the so-called "troubled youth" in their town... or at the very least, the more elderly part of the population didn't. There were still few waves of hellos from younger generation, but thanks to Road's End being what it was, those were a rare occurance.

A dying town could be noticed first from the lack of children and teenagers, after all.

Still, as the doors of the hotel opened and as three girls entered the building, having done their best to avoid getting completely soaked by the torrential rainfall pouring from the grey skies, they noticed that things were a little better here. Few smiles were thrown their way as the employees hurried through the lobby, some heading upstairs towards the rooms while others hurried towards the dining room. Distant slow music could be heard from the latter direction as well. Clearly the breakfast rush - for what it even meant in a hotel like Owl's Nest - was in full swing.

"Oh, there you are. You girls arrived early," a voice greeted the trio from the reception desk. "Hope you didn't catch a cold out there!"

Sitting behind the desk was the crimson-haired "heiress" of Owl's Nest, Rachel Halloway. She seemed to be going through some old book-keeping, or perhaps something wasn't quite up to date with the newer stuff. Nevertheless, there was quite the pile of reading next to her, which she seemed to be poring through with intense focus. Nevertheless she did raise her eyes from the books and greet the three with a smile.

"Honestly, it's still a good while before we'd need you. You girls hungry? We're currently serving breakfast, and I'm sure you'd much rather work with full tummies, rather than try to tough it out," Rachel continued, chuckling a bit. "Also... do I remember wrong, and didn't we hire just two people?"

Her eyes stopped at Vivienne, and a quizzical eyebrow was cocked.

"A friend of yours? Here for work too?"

Hisa Momoi

Ah...how disappointing.

It seemed like Inacio broke a long before I could get to the important part. If I were to push for that now…

Yeah, it was unlikely that it would lead to much success.

[And yet she is nowhere to be seen, so I wonder.]

While answering Pyry, I loosened the pressure on Inacio’s mind, leaving nothing but the faintest tie so that I could at least still listen in on whatever was going on in his head.

[But sure. I’ll grab you some breakfast in the meantime then.]

Quieting down the link to Pyry as well, I stood up to grab some extra plates and food for the others.

The rather fast crash of my attempt to squeeze some information out of Inacio left me with a hint of frustration, but at the same time, it wasn’t entirely fruitless...even if it was more about just overhearing them, rather than thanks to my ability.

Which is to say...if Inacio is worried about having caught a cold, then he was definitely out last night.

And...they are both worried about people not getting along?

How does that even concern Inacio?

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Mmhm. Yep. That's society. Full of weiiiiird, duuuumb, awwwwwful things."

Today's gonna be a bad day, but the next few minutes don't have to be. Not for this doofus, at least, judging by those noises he's making. I was always more of a dog person, but...

"Like toilet paper... and shampoo and conditioner..."

My hands, which haven't stopped moving, comb through Ahti's hair in practiced patterns as his protests slowly fade into feline purrs. It's funny; the last time I did this was ages ago, with big sis. We were getting too old to wash each other's hair even then, but nobody wanted to be the one to say it. This head is a bit rougher, fluffier than hers, like a Norwegian or a Siberian cat. Muscle memory doesn't care, though. My fingers leap into action, having waited for their chance for over three years.

"And and places where you pay for this."

Reaching his scalp by feel, past the mess of bubbles, I rub my fingers in circles, paying special attention to the roots of his hair - and that one spot just behind the ears.

"We've still got a bit left, but if it's a pain, I can stop early..."

How did this even happen again? I can't even understand the thought process of myself from five minutes ago.

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

"It almost sounds as if you took up medicine as a method of rejecting God. Do you have some sort of problem with... Our Holy Lord? I recently have had quite a few experiences with the Church, so perhaps I can absolve you of your sins!"
    Noah simply shrugged in response, his overly long sleeves flapping in the air.

"... My sins are not something for a God or you to absolve or forgive. They're perfectly my own, so I'll deal with them myself!" the boy said with a chuckle. "And, well, while I can't say I took up medicine as a way to have one more God rejected, I suppose it did play a small part..."

He set his hands down onto his lap, as well as the medical report that was - supposedly - about Cesarina. At the same time the violet-haired boy's eyes leveled a stare at the girl sleeping on the bed, the one Alexstrasza was still unable to properly approach. It was hard to say anything about the aloof expression of Noah, but just for a moment, it seemed a little bit softer than usual. Maybe, underneath his sadistic streak that the blonde girl so easily brought up, there was a bit more to him.

Just maybe.

"... The way I see it, God doesn't save people - humans do," Noah simply continued. "Isn't that a reason good enough?"

Before the girl could answer however, two things happened.

The first thing was that, surprisingly, she could feel something wrap around her hand. Delicate, unconscious hand much smaller than her own. A hand that caught hers in a soft grip, almost like someone grasping at the nearby warmth during their sleep. In other words, Cesarina, even with her mind somewhere else and sleeping in the hospital bed like that, had found the hand of her friend nearby... and caught a hold of it.

Softly, yet firmly.

As for the other thing...

--- It was an annoying sensation that came through a link somewhere at the back of Alexstrasza's head.

A sensation that pretty much translated as someone rolling her eyes at the blonde girl and going:

"Ugh, stop breathing down my neck, hag. I'm not doing anything."

Potemkin, finally.

Hisa Momoi

While gathering breakfast for Pyry and waiting for him - and possibly Ubon - to arrive, Hisa was able to "hear" how Inacio's thoughts returned back to normal. He seemed to calm down from his growing panic at the voices in his head, and though he was still rather startled and anxious, at least he didn't look so sickly anymore. If anything, his thoughts immediately turned towards something else. Namely... he felt worried about the other boy - Caleb. The two of them were talking something about the rose-haired artist trying to make amends, or at least show he was sorry, but inside his mind Inacio... just seemed worried that his efforts would be for nothing.

Yes. It was painfully clear that Inacio was worried about their class as a whole. How everyone seemed to be avoiding everyone else, and even after the Beach Party people were being awkward and simply shutting themselves off into small cliques.

A one stray, clear thought even went as far as saying:"It'll be lonely for everyone if we can't at least be cordial to each other."

In that sense, the Lusitanian felt a bit more mature than he let on. He wasn't just worried about about specific people... he was worried about the atmosphere in the class.

"Hizzieeee~!"

Sudden loud noise brought Hisa back from her thoughts (and those of Inacio). The source of that vibrant, cheerful greeting could be only one thing. And indeed, two people had just entered the cafeteria. A rather tired-looking Pyry and Ubon - dressed in a colorful rain poncho that just screamed festive atmosphere. It was also absolutely dripping with water, and the girl looked dangerously enough like a dog about to vibrate at high speeds to shake off all that water.

Luckily she did no such thing. Instead she just skipped over to the table where Hisa was sitting, while Pyry trailed behind her.

"G'morning! Quite the weather out, huh!" Ubon greeted Hisa while sliding out of her poncho. "Did'cha get soaked too? Oh! Sorry, just a sec! I need my fresh juiiiice~!"

Shooting off towards the waiting tables, Ubon hummed a merry tune as she practically zoomed towards the colorful cans of juices waiting for her. Pyry, in the meanwhile, chuckled at the sight and rounded around the table, sitting right next to Hisa. He glanced over his shoulder at the cyan-haired girl pouring herself a Big Gulp-sized glass of... various fruit juices mixed, apparently. Then, he shook his head amusedly and greeted the girl next to him as well.

"Yeah, good morning as well," he said. "At least one of us is going hyper this morning. I think I'll need a cup or twelve of coffee for that myself..."

Then, grinning a little, he leaned a little closer to Hisa and continued with a hushed voice.

"I get the feeling that something good happened to her last night. She's been beaming this whole time."

As if to answer Pyry's words, the loud sound of a massive glass hitting the table interrupted him. Ubon had, as quickly as she had left, sat down opposite of the two.

"Hey hey, what're you two whispering about!" She demanded to know, trying to look all inquisitive... but couldn't help but to break into a cheerful smile right afterwards. "Aww, I'm just kidding. More of that business I guess, huh?"

Taking a big swig from her glass, Ubon wiped her mouth and then leveled her ever-happy stare at Hisa.

"A-ny-ways~! What's up, Hizzie? Getting your breakfast on?"

Elise Pelltier

Elise craned her neck to glance down at the book aimed at her back.

"Death by a thousand paper cuts..." muttered Elise as she eyed the deadly piece of literature.

Wait. Did I nearly just get impaled by a self-help book on how to deal with your moody teenage daughter?

Sakura straightened herself, and snatched the book she'd been wielding out of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Tsukioka
    "S-sorry, I was just... rather lost in my thoughts there. Good morning, Elise. Hopefully you were able to sleep well after last night? I know things got... quite weird, but without proper rest, we can't function properly during the day, you know? Especially since there's a lot to do today, isn't there?"
    "Good morning, Sakura! Don't worry about it, I think we're all a little on edge and there's a lot to think about," began Elise, "I was a little worried that my growing existential dread would keep me up all night, but I actually ended sleeping quite well."

I spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about cars and vehicle ownership.

Elise paused, as she considered Sakura's advice and compared it Sakura's condition the previous week.

Sakura was in pretty rough shape by Saturday, wasn't she?

"You know, in regards to getting a good night's sleep, the same goes for you too, Sakura. I remember seeing you run yourself ragged not too long ago."

"Anyways, what's up? Anything I can help you with? You looked a bit lost there. Were you looking for someone?"
    "Actually, I was looking for you. I wanted to ask you about your moody teenage daughter," chuckled Elise with a nod towards Sakura's book.

She sighed, continuing without mirth, "Lucille's my friend, and I want to help her. I feel terrible going behind her back like this, but I don't want to pry at her when the subject matter distresses her so much."

I think I've poured enough salt into Lucille's wounds already. I feel at this point I'd just be picking at them so I can pack in more salt, and that's the last thing she needs.

Elise paused, glancing around nervously before she continued, "This hallway might not be the best place for this conversation, so it might not be a bad idea to continue this in one of the empty classrooms, but if I'm going to be of any help to Lucille, I need to know who this Michael Lowgate guy was."

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

"... My sins are not something for a God or you to absolve or forgive. They're perfectly my own, so I'll deal with them myself!" the boy said with a chuckle. "And, well, while I can't say I took up medicine as a way to have one more God rejected, I suppose it did play a small part..."
    I dribbled my fingers as I listened, attempting to empathize. Noah was a strange person, but this town was nothing but strangeness in the first place. It's very nature oozed the ethereal, and I couldn't help but leak some in return. I am not of it, after all. Even if I try...

Even if I try...

"... The way I see it, God doesn't save people - humans do," Noah simply continued. "Isn't that a reason good enough?"
    Cesarina's fingers closed around mine.

I stared blankly at it for a moment, the place where our hands connected. What did it mean? Was this what friends did? I...

I bit my lip.

"Y-yes! Humans are a lot more c-capable," I stammered out, staring with wide eyes at our hands. "Th-then anyone expected, aren't they?"

Like a slug sticking to my skin, the words rang in my head with the condescending tone of someone who was thumbing their nose.

"Ugh, stop breathing down my neck, hag. I'm not doing anything."
    "Did you think I would wake up and go 'oh she isn't here, I should let her do whatever she wants', Elibaba? I don't mind you going off on your own, but at least tell me what you're doing before you vanish into thin air."

I would show Potemkin how to operate in proper society, or we would both die. An abomination like her wouldn't be suffered the right to exist, even though she didn't do anything wrong. It isn't fair, but...

I clenched my free hand, unable to look away from where Cesarina had touched me.

...Like I could accept an ending like that. As if I'd let anyone kill her.

"You do know about the rules of the Turnside, yes? And plan on following them, as we would both presumably die if you broke them?"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"Not to mention we have those three to integrate today. I think Zhou said something about arriving around noon... though, considering the face you made, I guess it's my job to take them to the faculty office, huh?"
    “Of course.” Anna’s voice was completely nonplussed, almost as if the words of the dusky-skinned mercenary were self-evident. “Let’s be honest, do you want me dealing with teachers and all the small-talk introductions? Really?”

The Estonian witch leaned on the back of the couch with a small shrug, even as a dry grin played on her lips.

“I’d probably end up socking someone in the face due to all the frustration. Probably one of the staff at that, you know?”

There was a reason she had avoided interacting with the staff as much as possible. The last thing she needed was to deal with someone who thought their role as an educator entitled them some sort of respect or deference from their students. Not that she had any complaints about their competency. She was sure they were all quite skilled in their own fields. However, the reality was that most of the knowledge she would learn here would be utterly useless to her. In the end, it was simply knowledge from another “world”.

That and she’d long ago let go of the delusion that being knowledgeable or talented in something made one worthy of respect.

One couldn’t even throw a rock at the Chaos Coven without hitting some old crone who’d spent centuries perfecting the pitch of their runesongs, but who had the common sense of an average brick.

"Anyways, lead the way, Red.”
    “Don’t I always?” A light chuckle escaped her lips. “And no need to worry, Indy. I’ll be sure to get you back in time for all your very important guide duties.”

The soft drizzle of rain fell rhythmically on the opened umbrellas as the two of them stood on the campus parking lot. Less than a dozen meters from them lay the main gates of the campus and the snaking road behind it that led to Road’s End proper.

The rain itself wasn’t that bad, honestly. She’d definitely dealt with worse showers before. Worse showers in Road’s End at that. Though, if she remembered correctly, the rain would get heavier as the day went on. Granted, no rain would be even better, but… well actually no. The rain was good. Changing weather would have, in itself, already opened up a massive can of worms she really didn’t want to deal with.

The rain might have been wet, cold, and annoying… but at least it was predictable.

Stifling a yawn with her remaining free hand, Anna half-turned towards Ramia.

“I was thinking we can hit up End’s Post before classes start. I need to grab one or two things from there.” Her ruby eyes flickered to the road and then back towards the campus at large. “But before that, we need to wait for the rest of our little posse to show up.”

“Shouldn’t take too long…” A surprisingly uncharacteristic pause wormed its way into Anna’s speech. “…I think.”

Hisa Momoi

Of course, this guy too just wanted everyone to work together.

Wasn’t that a rather naive, almost selfish desire?

And if he is so concerned, why is it that he does nothing for the matter other than whatever suspicious stuff he is up to during the nights?

Why can’t people be content with the fact that not everyone was meant for each other, and let bonds develop slowly and naturally?

I shook my head slightly with a sigh, then took another bite of my toast.

Well, not that it was a problem. And in the end, they were only hurting themselves with their nigh impossible wishes.

However, before I could give any more thought to the matter, Ubon bursted through the entrance, followed by Pyry in a much lazier manner.

“Morning.”

My lips curled into a small smile as I observed the two of them sit down at the table.

“It’s only going to get worse, I’m afraid,” I said, referring to the weather, “There will be a huge storm tonight.”

Last time, it almost felt like it was that storm that brought things into motion. Just like how they said, it was like some great evil has arrived with the storm, and then...the events of the weekend would happen.

“Though, I like the rain, so I don’t mind. Other than that...I guess we are okay?” I said as I shot a glance at Pyry, “Had a long night, but no real groundbreaking revelations.”

A certain nazi-like organization and the premise of the arrival of some ancient demon were, on their own, and with how much we learned, were really not that important after all.

“More importantly, I’m glad to see that you’re okay too,” I continued as my smile widened, “More than okay, it seems. How was yesterday then? Did John confess to you or something?”

“I hope he did not take you anywhere dangerous?” I added more quietly, so that only the people present at the table could hear it.

Blog Entries
    Prushka

Rrrr, rrr, rrr.

It was like some sort of engine had activated inside Ahti. What quirk of nature had deemed it necessary to impart him with the function to purr like a cat remained a mystery, but he certainly was going all out with it now. Even his tail, which he usually kept mostly out of the way and hidden, was swishing back and forth lazily - adding to the clear undeniable fact that he was enjoying getting his hair washed.

... That, or it meant that he was about to pounce. Cats were weird like that. They loved giving mixed signals.

".....mmm..."

No, his eye was closed in an almost blissful state - not dilating. Perhaps Prushka was safe from getting attacked, at least for now.

Still, that mane of his truly was a project. Slowly and surely the tangled bits and knots were coming undone, and looking and how things were turning out, after a good rinse and drying it would most likely be so fluffy it would be hard to recognize the young man.

But as the work continued, Ahti seemed to finally regain some of his senses. In the quiet of the bathroom, he suddenly opened his mouth, all the while watching the wall with his single functioning eye.

"... This is strange, you know?" He commented out of nowhere. "I don't let anyone touch my head but me. Hell, I don't like anyone touching me period. But lethal areas, like neck and the head... those I loathe having people touch. Usually my first instinct is to get distance and retaliate. Even now, it sorta crosses my mind. It would be easy in a closed space like this, after all. Still..."

He frowned a little to himself.

"--- I don't really feel like retaliating. Why's that? Are you using some power of yours?" He asked, glancing momentarily at Prushka. "Instilling some calming emotion or whatever?"

He seemed genuinely curious.

Alexstrasza Lockhart

While the touch of Cesarina's hand was gentle, and while Noah wasn't - for once - launching those barbed missiles he called words to Alexstrasza's direction, the morning was far from peaceful. After all, at this moment, the blonde girl could feel growing frustration echoing through the connection she had to that useless creature that had taken her shadow with her. It was the similar growing frustration that a rebellious teenage daughter would show towards their old, unfashionable mother who "just didn't get it."

In other words...

Urgh, don't get your granny panties twisted. I just wanted some time away from your flabby body and went out to get a soda. I'm not gonna get us busted because of that.

Well, at the very least Potemkin was willing to follow the rules of the Turnside. Even if her words were as rude as ever, she still had some semblance of common sense---

Though, they didn't have anything good in the vending machines downstairs, and the woman at the reception was staring at me all weird, so I went out. But since it was raining I didn't want to stay out too long, and then I started thinking of places to have fun and...

Wait what?

Yeaaahh, I guess I ended up back at the school. I found this stash of lemonade in the fridge that read "Touch it and die - T." so I figured I'd see if that'd really happen. After three bottles, not dead yet. But here's hoping, right?

Oh no.

Oh, by the way, they have all this silverware just lying around in the dormitory kitchens. Do you even know how much one could sell this old junk for?

Oh dear.

Hisa Momoi

"F-Fueh!?"

Ubon's reaction was as expected. The girl flushed bright red for a moment and recoiled backwards with an embarrassed face... but then soon melted into a giggle that she tried to hide with taking another swig of her juice.

"N-no, nothing like that. I-I mean... It's Johnnie, right? Can you think that guy confessing to anyone? A-and it's not... not like I like him that way. He's just a super good guy, if totes awkward and broody at times. Nngh, makes me just wanna knead that face into a permanent smile...!" Ubon replied, wiggling her fingers as if she was actually gonna do as she threatened. "B-but nah. He just... was pretty nice last night. C-complimented my, um, wings, too. A-and I know, for realsies, that it doesn't mean much with John since he's... well, you know. But it still felt good to hear!"

Even Pyry had hard time hiding his grin as both him and Hisa listened to the girl ramble on. As always, Ubon was so full of energy that she almost didn't know what to do with it all. Thus whenever she talked, she gestured with her hands wildly and her expressions changed rapidly. Even on a slow morning like this, it was quite entertaining to watch. Much better entertainment than what was on TV, at least.

"O-oh, and nope! We didn't go anywhere dangerous... well, kinda sorta, at least. There were few moments but Johnnie always made sure I was safe," Ubon continued, lowering her voice as well. "Like, um... d-did you know that Linnie hangs around with, uh... one of those things. The batty kind?"

As if to emphasize what she meant, Ubon mimed having fangs with her fingers.

"Yeah, we ran across them last night, and he was being super rude to Johnnie and Johnnie got all shaken and then I went off on them a bit and tried to console Johnnie, and then we saw some weird government people heading to the bar so we went there, and then-" Ubon stopped to inhale loudly. "-then we saw that Inacchi was at the bar too and he was being questioned by this FBI guy and so Johnnie was inside and I was outside and then Johnnie heard that the goverment people were waiting for some third person and they were talking about some weird medical stuff like DDS and then Johnnie came outside and we waited to see who the third guy was and and and---"

Again, the girl had to stop to breathe for a moment. Her words had been getting quite fast, so fast it had been hard to make sense of them properly. While Hisa and Pyry waited, she sipped on her juice as well, finally calming down.

"... It was Mr. H. As in, Hiroto Hatou. You know, our P.E. teacher?" Ubon continued with a hushed voice. "But then he spotted us and Inacchi and threw us out and said we should head straight back to school. So we did."

She punctuated her tale with a loud slurp of her juice.

"Weird, huh?"

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "This hallway might not be the best place for this conversation, so it might not be a bad idea to continue this in one of the empty classrooms, but if I'm going to be of any help to Lucille, I need to know who this Michael Lowgate guy was."
    For a moment, Sakura's expression hardened.

For a moment, she was no longer Sakura Tsukioka - maid extraordinaire and pretty much the cheerful big sister of the whole class.

No, what stood before Elise was the cold, hardened inquisitor with eyes like freezing steel.

It was as if the mere mention of that name had brought it up from within her.

"... Right. You have a point."

However, with a simple exhale, Sakura expelled that version of herself. What remained was the girl's usual self... though for a moment, she looked much more tired. Not the same type of exhaustion she had been filled with in the last iteration of the week. Unlike last week, it seemed that she had been able to delegate some of the work handed to her, and been able to take it much easier as well. Indeed, judging from the talk last night, in the previous loop Sakura must have spent all night investigating the Ramshack. No wonder she had looked like she hadn't slept properly.

"Follow me."

With that, Sakura led Elise into one of the empty classrooms and closed the door behind them. After a bit of thinking, she decided to lock it from the inside as well. Not to keep Elise from escaping, of course, but to keep from someone wandering in on their conversation.

Outside, rain was pounding on the windows like hundreds of hands with scraping nails. The sky was dark and overcast, and not a speck of blue could be seen. The campus ground was covered in the sight of a grey world, marred by rainfall. Some students were up and about and moving, but it was unlikely any one of them could see inside the classroom. Still, Sakura took a spot near the windows, in the shadows where she could watch those outside, but they couldn't see her.

And then she turned her eyes - serious once more - towards Elise.

"... How much do you know? Or rather, how much has milady told you?" Sakura started. "I just... want to make sure. After all, hearing it from milady and hearing it from someone else, or even through the rumours... it's a tale that shifts and changes form quite easily. And in a way, it's a crux of what ails Lucille... and the reason why, no matter how much I try, I fear that my help may never be enough to heal her."

Even in the dimly lit classroom, Elise could see it.

Sakura's hand clenching into a fist so tight her knuckles turned white.

"After all, though milady thinks so, and though that's the truth in her mind..."

Sakura's eyes narrowed - harshly.

"... Michael Lowgate was not a good man."

She practically spat out those words.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Strangely, perhaps uncharacteristically, John Dove is an umbrella person. The man who claims to act solely by a paradigm of objective, efficient decision-making would rather busy one of his hands holding an umbrella than wear a raincoat. He believes it a remnant of the child that was once John Dove, before his soul was charred by blood red eyes. Also, raincoats are heavy and bulky and cumbersome to wear.

Most of the time he does not even bother with an umbrella, though. On the other hand, this is not one of those times.

Holding an umbrella as black as Her shadow, John gazes at the campus receiving the sky’s plenty. His eyes follow the distant shapes of Wolff, Skye and Bianchi leaving for gods-know-where.

There is still the matter of that map, right? He should bring it up to Skye at some point. Then again, she might have already dealt with that on her own; it seems the kind of thing Liana Skye would do.

…does he resent Liana Skye? Of course not. Even if he were capable of such a thing, he would not be that much of a hypocrite. John Dove would rather believe himself better than that.

His eyes then turn to the parking lot, where two of the people he is looking for stand with their backs to him. There is no hesitation; John Dove always does as he wills himself to do.

His free hand checks inside his pocket for the metallic trinket, as if to verify that it will not betray him and flee him in the last second. He used to touch it as a means of self-reassurance: it reminded him of Her, of the fact that She was somewhere out there, and that, if he tried hard enough, he would one day find Her.

He already found Her, so the touch of the metallic links between his fingers does nothing for him anymore. He no longer needs that reassurance, for he has already met Her and told her the single thing he always wanted to tell Her. If this “artifact” truly is the terrible thing Ramalsaqr claims it is, then it is a burden he must bear, and an obstacle he must overcome. However, it is not as simple as merely relinquishing ownership of it.

“Vandemeel. Ramalsaqr,” he calls out to the two as he approaches. “Good morning. It is good to see you are well.”

He is not lying. It’s not like he is said “he is glad” they are well.

“Thank you for arranging this,” he then says to Vandemeel. “Should I assume you deem it safe enough to have this conversation out here? Also, are we expecting anybody else?”

While Elaine Winters’ presence is not strictly necessary, it would be regrettable for her not to be part of this. For a number of reasons.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"Oh! Colt! Good morning. Did'cha sleep well?”

Odd.

The blonde hair, the bright smile, the voice. They all belonged to the girl he called Tris. Yet for some reason, as she wished him a good morning in a completely normal, mundane way, Colt had trouble reconciling that who was speaking to him was the same Tris he’d come to know. There was just something not quite right about her, all of the sudden. As if…

“Honestly, I had such weirdo dreams that I almost---"

The girl suddenly fell silent.

Whatever Tris was getting toward came to a screeching halt as she slammed the breaks. Between the two was shared an awkward silence, one in which Colt was free to further pursue what it was that felt so wrong in the moment.

In contrast to Tris who had hit the brakes with all her might, Colt’s brain was picking up speed as he pressed on the gas.

And it clicked.

Colt’s eyes went wide for a moment as he finally realized what was just so off. Then, as if on cue…

A cough.

"Oh, Colt! Good morningeth. Didst thou sleepeth well? Forsooth, I had such bizarre dreams that I almost woketh thee up in the middle of the night to tell thee abouteth them!"

Life goes on, even if by force. Perhaps that would be the lesson to take away from today. For a moment the world had stood still in the wake of Tris’ mistake. But by bluntly ignoring the things she’d rather not address, she moved right along. Was that really a lesson to take away? To just pretend things didn’t happen? To just keep going as if nothing of the sort ever occurred? Pretend and hope that everyone else joins in on the act?

"Still, breakfest, thou sayeth? That soundeth wonderful! D-dost... dost thou thinketh I could j-join thee for this breakfast?"

“Well, of course. I mean I mentioned it on the off chance ya might wanna get up and eat.” The boy answered those hands clasped so innocently, the stomach that spoke up so honestly, only as fairly as he could. “We can head to Avery’s or make something here, I don’t mind either way.”

For now he’d let her get away with pretending.

But the spark had been lit. There would be no putting it out. A tiny little flicker of curiosity about the odd girl and her even more odd way of talking. For now he could ignore it, but it would grow. Burn away at him inside and out.

But for now.

“For now how about you get up and get dre-“

“Colt.”

A knock. The voice of a girl. A girl he knows. A girl he knows who knows another girl he knows.

“Are you there?”

A girl he knows who knows another girl he knows who doesn’t know that he’s had overnight guests with multiple oversized breasts.

“Uhhhhhhh…” He speaks up. With his finger Colt gestures at Tris, pointing toward the shower. Colt takes a step closer to his door, speaking through it. “I’m here, what’s up?”

Buy time for now. It’s his own bedroom and it’s early in the morning. There’s an entire book of excuses he could write full of reasons why he needs a minute or two before opening the door to greet her.

Hisa Momoi

“He’d have a multitude of reasons to send you back, like...the fact that you’re technically underage for a bar, or that strictly speaking we’re not supposed to leave the dorms at night. All too convenient reasons to stop you guys from eavesdropping. Still…”

Taking a sip of my tea, I tried to process all the things that Ubon blurted out in a hurry.

“Mr Hatou, discussing some secret medical stuff with FBi agents? I did not exactly take him for a brain, let alone to be someone operating in the background like that.”

What exactly was DDS anyways?

If there was one thing I was most proud of then that was my medical knowledge, but that acronym did not ring a bell in any way.

“Though, speaking of weird stuff like that, you know…” I continued more quietly again, “Inacio is up to some strange things too. He has a hotel room reserved where he stayed on the night of the courage test. He was meeting someone there, and has this fancy radio tuned to a frequency that is airing this creepy tune…”

Leaning in a bit closer, I took a glance at the person in question before continuing.

They were all far enough that there was no way they could have overhead us. Of course, I could have just resorted to some trickery to make sure, but...it should have been fine like this too.

“I think he is up to something, and since he is trying so well to hide it, I can’t help but think that it’s something fishy.”

I gave a tiny bit of shrug, before drinking some more again.

“And a vampire? Was it someone with blue hair and red eyes?”

It wasn’t much of a surprise that Linnie, whom I interpreted to be Liana, would do something like that. I took her for someone quite forceful and goal oriented, someone who would not shy away from anything in order to achieve what she wants.

Still, a good thing to keep in mind.

“I’d assume you were near the McLampet mansion then, considering how you went to the bar...but did you get into a fight then? I’d imagine you wouldn’t just let...those out for no reason, you know.”

An eyebrow slightly raised, I eyed Ubon carefully. Was she hiding some details so that she wouldn’t worry us, or was that all that happened?

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

The atmosphere in the bathroom descends to a comfortable silence, punctuated only by the noise of flowing water, fingers against hair, bubbles and soap and deep-throated purrs.

Ahti does not so much break that silence as push it aside. He stares at the wall ahead of him, and I stare at that same spot, as if we might see each other's eyes reflected in the opaque tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahti
    "--- I don't really feel like retaliating. Why's that? Are you using some power of yours? Instilling some calming emotion or whatever?"
    "A calming emotion... mhm, Mémoire could do that."

Scrub, scrub. One by one, the knots come out. I've switched to combing out the finer ones, holding the hair so it doesn't tug too much at the scalp, taking it tuft by tuft. That was a learning process; I remember how much I cried the first time Masha accidentally tore out a chunk of my hair while combing it. I also remember chasing her around, wanting to share that same distress... it isn't particularly hard, to 'write' an emotion onto something or someone. Those who resist are the most often the ones that can intellectually separate themselves from their ego, use logic to recognize what should not be, and excise it. Humans generally don't reach that point.

"Used to do it all the time, actually, whenever one of my brothers or sisters was upset. They'd come to me and we'd work through it together. Nowadays I mostly just calm myself, when it's necessary." Like when it gets to be too much to bear. Been doing that a lot lately.

I can't see the expression on Ahti's face, from here. He could be relaxed. Or he might be on the edge. It would be possible to tell, as easily as taking a sniff of the scent in the air, but... the feeling of not knowing beckons. Like a terrifying drug that makes you feel like a human instead of yourself.

"...imagine your emotions are like a river. Or a smell. They're constantly moving, escaping out into the world, changing depending on your state of mind and the situation, flowing from a spring called 'you'. It's possible to pour something over top, like a dye or deodorant. Might mask things for a while. Could even fool your own senses. But it doesn't last. It's quickly overwritten by the real thing, fresh from the source. And the source is a place I've never been to."

The only method of getting around that limitation is to ensure a separate well of sentiments is near the recipient, propagating itself. Like a pen full of hope, or a bandana that gives you confidence when you put it on. Or a curse that continuously oozes negative emotions like a gaping wound in reality. Even then... it doesn't always work out. Sometimes, someone else's hope and confidence are the last thing a person needs.

"That is to say - this all you, Ahti. These feelings are coming from your heart, not mine. All I've done is wash your hair. So..."

I think back, to the sight of those carvings sitting on the table. There were seven, he said. But now there's only one, or maybe a pair of ones that can't become two.

"Maybe you don't hate being touched as much as you think you do."
    Last edited by Bloble; January 20th, 2021 at 02:06 PM.

Elise Pelltier

One of the advantages to Road's End's ambitions and seemingly bright future ahead of it at the time of Pinefall High's construction, and the school itself being a facility far larger than the Oceandrop Program needed it to be at the present time, was that there never seemed to be a shortage of empty, secluded classrooms one could have a quite, and relatively private conversation with someone. Elise followed Sakura to one such room. She found herself what she hoped was a relatively inconspicuous spot to stand away from the window as Sakura secured the room. She leaned against the classroom wall and listened intently as Sakura began.

"... Michael Lowgate was not a good man."
    Elise took note of Sakura's clenched fists and white knuckles as she spoke.

I got the impression last night that she didn't think very highly of Michael, so that confirms that.

"Lucille hasn't told me too much about him. Michael Lowgate was a comrade of hers, and a fellow Inquisitor. I get the impression they were close to each other, as his death weighs heavily on her. Lucille has explained your mission here, so I presume that Lucille and Michael were sent to kill a vampire, the sire of the one you're looking for now, but the vampire killed Michael. Lucille told me about the Other Subaru's accusations. The things that the spirit of Michael Lowgate presumably told her last week. About how Lucille betrayed and abandoned him," replied Elise.

"The Other Subaru's accusations in her final moments have caused Lucille considerable distress."

'Considerable distress' feels like an understatement.

"Lucille insists that they're untrue, and I believe her. I've only known Lucille for a few days, but I have a hard time imagining her betraying and abandoning someone. Despite that though, Michael Lowgate does seem to very sincerely believe that she did."

I can't imagine you'd twist yourself into a spirit of vengeance if you didn't.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

---Just as expected, this town was full of troubles.

Troubles that took a number of different forms of course, but troubles all the same; errant knights, mysterious benefactors, looming puppet-masters, doppelgangers, vengeful spirits, and many other things, far too many to list, but all pointing to the same fundamental truth, namely...

---That this town was insane.

A nexus for the Turnside, this many things simply should not all appear at once; she accepts the information she is given with the same strong smile as always, believing that they'll make it through somehow (and they will) but...

Information was also given, memories of the past night resurface, and beneath the smile that was meant to calm others was a more melancholic reality, one that spreads to her expressions as they ride through a melancholic town.

...Wonder if he hates me.

It's a vague thought, one that reappears now that she's forced to think about all of that again; he certainly might, she had stood in his way last night, knowing full well that the person he sought was "his most important person."

She knew.

Of course she knew.

He had told her himself, and yet she had stood in the way anyway.

"..."

It was necessary.

Even if it makes him hate her, it was still necessary.

Better they hate her and stay alive then wander off to some immortal vampire queen, full of alien thoughts and whims, and meet their end at the hands of one of those whims... Such an ending would certainly be a possibility, and as long as it was a possibility she couldn't let them take the risk, the last time she had taken such a risk others had paid for it, but even past that...

When it comes down to it.

She hates that tyrant's guts.

Mark someone to their soul, then when they come looking for you, have them chased off; she agrees with the end result, John shouldn't go anywhere near someone who hurt him that deeply, she agreed with that outcome, but...

...The rest is disgusting.

Hurting someone, then having them cruelly tossed aside like that? Like it was their fault? Sending someone who she must have known was traumatized in their own way to do it?

Disgusting.

Someone like that doesn't deserve the affection she gets...

"..."

Her gaze returns to the cloudy skies.

What does she expect to find there?

She doesn't know, so...

A sigh, then a deep breath, like meditation, she pushes those negative emotions aside, aware that her positivity had slipped a bit, and steps forward into the hotel with renewed energy and smile...

Somehow, she'll handle it.

Everything is starting to feel like it's collapsing, and time is apparently running low, but...

She'll handle it.

Somehow.

She has to, if someone gets hurt after all...

It's her fault for not being
    as good as Sora
    better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    "Oh, there you are. You girls arrived early," a voice greeted the trio from the reception desk. "Hope you didn't catch a cold out there!"
    "I believe in being early, especially on the first day!"

Yes.

She returns to her usual, cheerful self quickly enough...

"Honestly, it's still a good while before we'd need you. You girls hungry? We're currently serving breakfast, and I'm sure you'd much rather work with full tummies, rather than try to tough it out," Rachel continued, chuckling a bit. "Also... do I remember wrong, and didn't we hire just two people?"
    ...And is again confronted with charity, charity that she wrestles with internally much faster than normal, half-expecting it from the previous day's experience-!

"Breakfast would be nice, although I feel bad for relying on you guys so much..."

"A friend of yours? Here for work too?"
    Her ultimate answer is to simply be honest, as for the rest, well...

"She's a friend yeah, Vivi," she nods at this, then with a smile, "I don't think she's here for work though, another friend of ours stays here we think? An Alex Terrot?"

...Like usual, she seems to take charge on this little... Joint operation?
    Last edited by Airen; January 20th, 2021 at 09:29 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin & Lucille Faraday

"...?"

Looking a bit confused, Tris tilted her head at Colt... but eventually seemed to understand what he was getting at. Having climbed out of bed, the knightess quietly skipped over to the bathroom, not seemingly getting the impending danger that might be in the horizon if Lucille found out about her existence. Or rather, her existence at Colt's room. Still, fortunately, the girl didn't question the hasty gestures thrown her way. Instead she slipped into the bathroom and closed the door behind her.

At least one crisis had been averted, for now.

However, at that same time...

"Muuu~!"

Lucille Faraday, who had been waiting outside for Colt's reply, found herself greeted with surprising amount of cheer, and weirdest of noises. As she turned to look, she saw a girl with strangely-colored hair, standing in a slightly ill-fitting hoodie and sweatpants, smiling from ear to ear. The homely look of the girl was quite different from the last time she had seen her, but still, it was easy enough to recognize her.

Gradient, who else?

And Gradient certainly seemed to remember Lucille, as the girl gave her a quick hug after walking over to her.

"Fooooo~?" Gradient asked, tilting her head a little quizzically. Perhaps she was wondering why Lucille was at Colt's doorstep too.

But before Lucille could answer either her or Colt...

"Oh, Colt! Art it okayeth if I deemeth to loan thy towel again? And use someth of thine shampoo?"

A clear, crisp, young female voice called loudly from within the room.

Someone Lucille had not heard before, and who Colt should have known not to trust.

Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “I’d assume you were near the McLampet mansion then, considering how you went to the bar...but did you get into a fight then? I’d imagine you wouldn’t just let...those out for no reason, you know.”
    Ubon blushed slightly and rubbed her neck awkwardly.

"U-um, n-no... I... I was just sorta... showing off. W-we needed to catch up to the car in a hurry, so I t-took Johnnie out on a flight..." the cyan-haired girl sheepishly murmured in response. "A-and no! We weren't there. We were at the eastern side of the town, sorta close to where you can get to Owl's Nest. The batty guy was looking for Johnnie, so we kinda ran into them and while there wasn't a fight..."

For a moment, Ubon managed to look a bit angry instead of her usual good cheer, and she clenched her hands into fists on the table.

"... He said lotta awful things to Johnnie. In other words, that guy was a total jerk!" she continued. "Johnnie's... Johnnie's looking for this girl. Girl who's super important to him. Like... like way more important than anything else in Johnnie's life, or so I feel. N-not because he's obsessed anymore... though I think he still might have hard time letting go... but this time just to ask questions from her. But then the batty guy shows up and tells Johnnie to go away, and that the girl doesn't wanna see him. I..."

She hesitated for a moment, before continuing with a very, very quiet whisper.

"--- I think she's some Vampire Princess, and that guy's his knight, and he's jealous because Johnnie's in the favor of the princess so he's getting in his way!"

Pyry, who had been listening intently on the explanation, let out quite a sight and rubbed his temples.

"... This ain't a young adult novel, y'know? I... I doubt it's anything as fairy tale-ish as that," he said, sounding a little exasperated. "Anyways, I take the guy's not red-eyed and blue-haired, then?"

Ubon shook her head.

"Nope! He had black hair with stripes and rose-colored eyes and for some reason he was showing off a lot of his chest..." the girl explained, folding her arms across her chest and looking a bit annoyed. "In other words, he looked like a total jerk, too!"

Pyry, hearing that, hummed thoughtfully and looked back at Hisa.

"... Think it's some unrelated guy? Could that even be? It sounds so random but at the same time, honestly, I dunno..." The golden-haired boy sighed a little. "Something about this just screams that it's one of those cases where things are connected in some weird way we aren't just seeing yet."

Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "Maybe you don't hate being touched as much as you think you do."
    "Hmm..."

Ahti let out a thoughtful hum, still staring that same spot on the wall. At this point, it didn't even seem like he was staring at Prushka through the reflection, but just letting his eye wander and gaze at nothing in particular. In other words, he had descended back into his own thoughts. It sounded quite likely too, because the suggestion that the girl had brought up must have been an alien concept to the young man. If his earlier actions were anything to go by, he was loath to trust just about anyone, and always kept the people around him at arm's length.

Yet now he was allowing Prushka to wash his hair. And last night, he had allowed her even closer. Not to mention that someone like him had gone as far as taking the girl back to her bed. Something in him certainly had started changing but...

... Could it be that he was just so starved for positive interactions that such a simple thing as showing some human decency and friendliness had started changing him already?

"Mmm, nah, I still hate it though," Ahti suddenly continued, pulling Prushka out of her thoughts. "Like, I can't imagine letting people do this to me. Maybe that busty girl you had with you yesterday, but I doubt even her. She seemed creepy enough that I'd be naturally worried for my life if let her close. Hell, just being alone in the same room as her might be dangerous."

As if making some mental note or decision, Ahti then nodded - though mostly to himself.

"Yeah, guess it's just you then. I don't really get it, but having you this close feels just fine, Imp," he said. "Guess you're just so weak and scrawny that there's no danger or something. And you don't smell bad either."

Then, as if remembering something, he turned his one functional eye towards the small girl.

"Oh, speaking of smell, lemme use your bed. I didn't sleep a wink last night so I'm gonna catch some shuteye after this, and walking back to the cabin is a drag."

Elise Pelltier

Dark clouds hung over Sakura Tsukioka's face.

"... To begin with, you must understand how different milady was before the... incident. Young as she was, she was also groomed to perfection from early childhood. A bright child, in all meanings of the word, veritably blessed by the Lord. In her veins she carried the radiance of His glory, passed down through sacred lineage of His angels. In her hands, she alone wielded a shard of the Staff that parted the Red Sea, fashioned into a sword of ultimate might. In her countenance, you could see His Will personified. In other words... people around thought milady as perfect - perfection itself," Sakura quietly spoke into the empty classroom air. "Of course... she was not. But thanks to the actions and behavior of the people around her, that mindset was reinforced in her. I believe... I believe she came to think so as well. As hard as I tried to temper her humane side, to teach her the virtues of humility and let her enjoy a childhood fit for a normal young girl... I was in vain. She was put on a pedestal, and made to believe that pedestal was infallible."

It wasn't a surprising story. Those with divine blood, the blood of the angels in their family - and especially those who exhibited the blessings it brought - were often venerated by their peers. They often rose into high-ranking positions and led the charge against the forces of darkness, protecting those around them. But as was the natural order, that same inhuman blood twisted them in ways that they themselves often did not notice. Just like mages are twisted by their monstrous parentage and ancestors, so too do those with the blood of angels often exhibit their natural traits.

Arrogance.

Perfectionism.

Absolute belief in themselves and their will.

Unwavering righteousness and trust in their own judgement and justice.

Lux in tenebris lucet.

"But the brightest of lights casts the harshest of shadows. And nowhere is this more clear than right next to that very light. For example... an inquisitor from a small rural town in Washington State, one without much in terms of powers yet so many things to prove. Burdened by a legacy left behind by a grandfather many thought either mad or delusional, wishing so hard to prove his prophecy true... yet gaining no support. If such a man, shunned by many and growing more bitter and jaded as the years go by, were set to serve a young girl to whom everyone bowed, and whose every word was taken as a gospel..." Sakura paused and looked at Elise from within the shadows, her eyes cold. "... What would you think that man would feel? Would he see the young girl as the others do? Would he praise her perfection that had spawned from nothing? Or... would he curse her and vilify her, make her the symbol of the world that - perhaps unjustly - hated him?"

Silence reigned in the empty classroom.

Rain outside sounded harsh and uninviting.

Sakura, having folded her arms, dug her nails into her skin out of frustration - as if to not grind her teeth.

"... The assault to the nest of the vampire Alexandru Lacătinima was not just a normal mission. For Michael Lowgate, it was his chance to prove that the perfect saint besides him, whose light burned him with each passing day, was not as infallible as they said. It was to be a trap born out of bitterness... but also misguided wish to save someone," Sakura continued again, but her voice was getting quieter... thinner. "Someone who he saw to be suffering even more than he was. Someone who he thought was crushed under that perfect light even more than he was."

With a bitter, bitter voice, Sakura hugged herself and forced herself to finish what she had started.

"--- He wished to free the young maid he thought chained to that perfect idol of light. In other words, he wished to save the woman he had come to love, even with that jaded heart of his."

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

“Uhhhhhhh… I’m here, what’s up?”
    “Oh, I just wanted to talk to you about some thi—”

An energetic noise interrupts her thoughts, followed by an equally sudden hug. Lucille blinks as she looks at Gradient, standing there in the middle of the hallway with her. Well, that was the main reason she was here, but even so, it felt rather cruel to leave Colt out of the loop. He did find her, after all.

“Oh, Gradient. There you are,” Lucille says warmly, the girl’s cheer improving her somber mood. “I’ve been meaning to have a chat with you.”

She gives the girl a smile before turning to wait at Colt’s door, but then—

"Oh, Colt! Art it okayeth if I deemeth to loan thy towel again? And use someth of thine shampoo?"
    What?

Narrowing her eyes, Lucille looks at the door with overflowing suspicion. There are no words to describe what she feels now, exactly. She takes a glance at Gradient, not really sure if the girl could answer or if it even mattered, before turning to fix her gaze aggressively at the door, wondering what to do about this indecency. If these were less trying times, she’d bust him for breaking the rules, but now she has to put such things aside for the sake of the greater good.

Lucille tries her best to curb her imagination, because it is simply indecent to think about these things and she does not want to judge or even think about Colt’s bizarre fetishes.

“Colt. You are very lucky that it happens to be me at your door and no one else. I’ll let you, and whoever that is, explain themselves. Otherwise, I’ll run away with Gradient here.”

Running away with Gradient isn’t really a punishment, but nowhere in those words has Lucille Faraday vowed to take an oath of silence about the matter. And that’s the real threat, naturally.