Page 146 of 244 FirstFirst ... 4696136141144145146147148151156196 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Colt Davin & Hisa Momoi
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)
    Weather: Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “You got...thrown back in time by that cloaked person, and that’s how you disappeared? Did he send you back here then? Or...did you get back here some other way?”
    Gradient nodded... and then shook her head, right after the first gesture. Clearly understanding the confusion she caused, she then walked back over to the clock at the wall and pointed at the hand counting seconds, repeated the pantomime of herself being yanked, and then did the universal gesture of "something small" by presenting her hand and holding her index finger and thumb close to each other.

Though what that meant was anyone's guess.

"So, uh... did this 'he' cause you to jump back like Hisa, and apparently Colt, have?" Pyry asked. "I'm feeling a bit confused."

Gradient simply sighed sadly and her shoulders slumped.

For that question, it seemed even the girl herself had no answer.

“Either way...I suppose you are hungry as well, aren’t you? Maybe we should save the rest for after I got you something to eat. Though… Before that I should probably give you some clothes that are...perhaps more comfortable and don’t stand out as much. Is that okay with you?”
    Hearing that, the girl's attitude perked up a little, and she nodded twice, beaming a smile that only the hungry could give to those who had promised them food.

From the looks of it, the next step of the plan was set.

And with that, Hisa turned towards Colt.

“Well, since I already demanded that they move out of your room...I guess it would be evil of me to also deny the opportunity for you to cook something for your knight, right? So show me your hands, and then you can go make some food for her in the meantime.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Uh, you can do that? I thought you were just getting onto Pyry for the heck of it. Like this?”
    “W-why would I just tease Pyry about it without any basis? I might not be a gigantic muscle guy with all sorts of heroic deeds, but I can still do a thing or two, especially when it comes to something like this…”
    Pyry snorted but did not comment further, as a careful inspection and further healing of Colt's hands started.

“Well, I guess that’s that. Suppose we’re all ready to go now.”
    And so they were.

With Colt's palms more or less healed now (what little remained of the burn wounds was being regenerated by both the metal shards and Hisa's touch), the group finally decided to head out to have that breakfast that was promised. First step of the way was a careful trip back to Hisa's room while concealing Gradient from onlookers (though apparently, the dorm was more or less empty at this point) so that appropriate clothes could be acquired for the strange girl. While this wardrobe change happened, Pyry, Colt and Tris were waiting outside, as was proper etiquette. While the boys waited, Tris regaled them with tales of her partner, gushing about his softness and how he's the most dangerous marshmallow west of Wyoming. It was strange enough tale in itself, but at least it helped to pass the time.

Meanwhile, Hisa found herself struggling with the strange, futuristic clothes that Gradient was wearing. The skintight suit adorned by metal parts that didn't exactly serve as proper protection was almost glued to the other girl's skin, and after some futile attempts at getting it off, it fell wholly to Gradient herself to do so. As it turned out, the suit was some sort of "vacuum" for the lack of a better word, sucking up the air from within the suit to make it stick so neatly. When a button was pressed, it once again became floppy and larger, allowing Gradient to easily slip out of it. Ten minutes or so later, she was finally dressed in something that wouldn't stick out so much at the dorms or around town.

Of course, this was not the only trouble that awaited at Hisa's room, not by far.

There was also the matter of a certain someone waiting there.

Certain someone who almost scared the living daylights out of Gradient, causing the girl to let out a high-pitched screech that nearly caused the boys to rush into the room, before Hisa managed to defuse the situation.

And from there, the journey continued to the kitchen of the dormitories. Pyry and Colt made a little scouting trip there, trying to see if Sakura was up to her usual tricks over there. However, from the looks of it, while the brunette girl had been there, she had already left somewhere else.

This left the group of three girls and two boys lounging about the kitchen, planning on their next move.

... Well, some were, at least.

Tris's intentions were clear, considering she was already sitting at the table with a knife and fork in her hands.

"So... what now? Will we hide these guys and Ru to the abandoned part of the dorms?" Pyry asked after making sure nobody was eavesdropping in the corridor. "If we break the boarding on this side, it'd allow us an easy access... hell, we could probably make it look like the boards are still there so that we could fool others. Or, we could just use the outside entrance for the sake of simplicity."

Gradient, who wasn't really listening in on this conversation, instead stared at Colt. Apparently the girl had heard the word "food" earlier, and was now as eager as Tris was, leaning on the table with her elbows and staring with those big, empty eyes straigh at Colt like a puppy.

It was quite an irresistable look.

"And... do we have other stuff to take care this morning, before class?" Pyry continued, eyeing mostly Colt and Hisa. "Would be good to make a proper plan, since we have three people to look after, and three of us in the know. Best not to go around alone, right?"

The last words were said to Hisa, most of all.

Tris, on the other hand, tilted her head.

"Hmh? Dost thou think I need a minder?" She asked, confused. "The school seemeth hardly that dangerouseth a place!"
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; July 26th, 2020 at 04:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Don’t get your hopes up too high, Gradient. I’m a painfully average cook.” It was obvious that Colt was feeling the strange girl’s expectant stare on him. “Fortunately, an average cook with a kitchen stocked this well is pretty dang good.”

The oven was currently preheating. A bag of flour, a box of baking powder, a stick of cold butter, a carton of buttermilk, a dozen eggs and an entire pack of bacon were laid out.

“This’ll test that appetite you’ve been practically boasting about, Tris.” The butter was chopped into small cubes and tossed into a large mixing bowl, along with cups of flour and buttermilk. “This is what working folk have before a long, hard day under the sun.”

Colt added salt and baking powder, then began to fold the mixture together. At the same time, he put the bacon on the stovetop in a cast iron skillet.

“It’s not healthy, but it’s filling. And good. All that matters, if you ask me.”

The sopping wet dough, after being thoroughly folded, was poured out onto a well floured countertop. Folding it more, Colt took a cup and began dividing up the dough into small circles, lining them on a baking sheet. Taking small breaks, he flipped the bacon. Once all the biscuits were divided on the sheet, Colt put them into the oven.

“Well that was the fun part. Now for the part that isn’t fun…”

Colt opened the carton of eggs and began to crack each one, clearly lacking expertise in the action. He never made a mess or broke any yolks… but it was obvious that he was going slow and being deliberate with each crack. He looked over his shoulder and counted the number of people. Pyry, Hisa, Gradient, Tris, himself. Assuming two for each… plus extra for Pyry and the boastful Tris… a dozen would suffice.

He took another pan, a nonstick, and spooned a bit of bacon fat into it. Bringing the skillet up to heat, he swirled the fat around, and then poured ALL of the eggs in at once. All of them. He pulled back at all of the popping, but smiled as the clear whites began to turn… white.

“Okay…” Colt added a bit of water as the whites cooked through completely, covered the pan, dropped the heat and left it to steam. “Now the best part.”

Colt took out the cooked bacon, setting them on a plate with paper towels to absorb the grease. Looking the pan over, he eyeballed the leftover fat, then added flour. Mixing it into the fat, he once again made a roux. This one noticeably darker in color than the last. As the roux’ smell felt ‘right,’ Colt began slowly adding milk, whisking it in. The act of adding and whisking was repeated again and again, until there was a thick, brownish-grey gravy.

Colt took a spoon and tried a taste of it.

“Eh… good enough.”

Whatever that meant was up to anyone’s interpretation. But shortly after, Colt added salt and pepper to the gravy, then tasted it again.

“… maybe it’s the humidity?”

He tilted his head.

Then checked the clock on the wall.

“Not much longer now.”

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“Mm,” I shook my head at Pyry’s suggestion, “Not sure if it’s a good idea to remove the boards. Probably easier to just use the back entrance. Of course, the place looks more or less like what you’d expect from something that’s been abandoned for years, but the furniture is still mostly intact and with a bit of cleaning we could make something proper out of it.”

Of course, there was the other part of the question, which made me pause for a bit as I glanced at Gradient.

“And well, I would...prefer to have Gradient stay with me in my room. The rest...yeah, they could have their own rooms there, unless you want to have Ru with you.”

They certainly seemed to get along somehow, with how they were already drinking beer and playing board games together after just that one night.

“For other plans…”

What other plans were there again, really?

I scratched my cheek, lamenting over what exactly there was to do still, before I spoke up again.

“Well, for one, we have two people to find...namely, Ru’s sister, and that marshmallow guy, but quite honestly, I’m not even sure where to begin with that. I...could send something over to the pool to check if he was still there, but I sort of doubt that that would be the case.”

Maybe I should have asked her to keep a closer look on the people who were there, rather than just telling her to scare them…

“There’s also that weird girl who has that big fluffy tiger coat. She’s supposed to be in the abandoned reference library on the second floor of the school. I want to talk to her at some point, though sneaking up there could be an issue...since the doors to the upstairs are locked, and the only other way in is through the window of the library.”

Either option was highly unlikely to go completely unnoticed in a place like this.

“I was also planning on finding Gradient somehow, but…” I said as I reached to pat the head of the girl in question, “Luckily, I won’t have to worry about that now. Other than that, there is also the janitor. I’m quite sure that he knows about the tragedy that happened here before the school closed down. Well...Gradient was here too then, but until I manage to learn enochian it’s going to be hard to have her tell about it. Then…”

Lost in my thoughts again for a moment, I observed Colt as he was diligently cooking something that I could not imagine to be breakfast.

Then, as I remembered something, my gaze shifted to Pyry.

“Well, remember that annoying woman we met yesterday? The one who was running that store with the baseball equipment and those ‘legends’ of hers. We could introduce Colt to her at some point, since he is probably the one who can afford those prices more than any of us.”

Of course, I realized how weird that statement must have sounded, as I should not have had any knowledge about the amount of money Colt owned. At least not a reason that Pyry and Colt himself knew about.

“Err, I found your wallet after...you know, that happened and we tried to get you out of there,” I explained to Colt with an apologetic look, “Not that I cared about your money, we were just looking for any information at all. Which reminds me...is your real name Colt Davin, or Colt Barrett then?”
    Last edited by Cheetose; July 26th, 2020 at 05:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin & Hisa Momoi

“Not much longer now.”
    "...... 'Tis the worketh of Merlin of the kitchens, a venerable magus of foodstuffs, a magician of hunger and satisfaction. Pray tell, what white magic art thou weaving right now, Colt?"

That was, of course, Tris.

Tris who had long since abandoned her spot at the table, instead hungrily leaning over Colt to look at his concoction, with actual drool running down her lips. The knightess looked like she was ready to devour the almost-finished breakfast right then and there, without caring of the boy's words. Especially the bacon had set her hunger aflame, and now she looked like she was having hard time controlling herself.

".... Nnnnn," Gradient commented, catching Tris by the wrist and locking her in place.

Those otherwise empty eyes told one thing:

--- No touching.

From the looks of it, Tris wasn't the only one serious about food!

“Mm. Not sure if it’s a good idea to remove the boards. Probably easier to just use the back entrance. Of course, the place looks more or less like what you’d expect from something that’s been abandoned for years, but the furniture is still mostly intact and with a bit of cleaning we could make something proper out of it. And well, I would...prefer to have Gradient stay with me in my room. The rest...yeah, they could have their own rooms there, unless you want to have Ru with you.”
    "Muuu!" Gradient replied, still keeping her vise-grip of Tris, who was flailing to get free.

Pyry chuckled at that.

"Sounds like she agrees. Looks like you got yourself a roommate there, Hisa," the blonde youth said with a grin. "Though, hmm... furniture, huh? I think the first thing to worry about would be something soft to sleep on... Oh! Maybe I could look through the storage rooms in the main building during recesses. If I find any mattresses or couches or something like that, I'll haul them to the abandoned dorm and set up rooms for Tris and Ru. That sound good?"

Tris, still in the middle of her struggling, flashed a thumbs up with one hand.

"A-aye, that art very kind of thee, good sir!" she replied. "Thou and my fair maiden truly doth shower us with kindness! Though... who art this Ru fellow?"

Pyry grimaced a bit.

"Y-yeah, might have to introduce him to you before-hand... I mean, he seems like a good kid, just a little... odd-looking," he commented. "Not his fault though, I guess."

“For other plans… Well, for one, we have two people to find...namely, Ru’s sister, and that marshmallow guy, but quite honestly, I’m not even sure where to begin with that. I...could send something over to the pool to check if he was still there, but I sort of doubt that that would be the case. There’s also that weird girl who has that big fluffy tiger coat. She’s supposed to be in the abandoned reference library on the second floor of the school. I want to talk to her at some point, though sneaking up there could be an issue...since the doors to the upstairs are locked, and the only other way in is through the window of the library.”
    Pyry rubbed his chin.

"Hmm... for this, uh, U-Salem, I guess we'd have to find a good tracker... the pool might be a bit too much to me too, considering the smells there," he admitted. "As for a mystery girl in the second floor, I don't think getting there's an issue. There's always the old fashioned way..."

He patted his bicep with a grin.

"... Though I guess we wanna avoid scaring her wits off. Maybe there's a quieter way in?" he asked. "You guys know anyone handy with a lockpick?"

Tris's eyes lit up.

"My sword worketh as a lockpick very well!"

Pyry grimaced at the thought, and shook his head.

"Yeah, no, not that kinda lockpick..." he said, before sighing a bit. "And what comes to Ru's sister... hell if I know. There's couple of ways we could start there, though I think checking those sewers might be one place to start. Another one could be looking for that item Ru's talking about. I'd figure her sister is after it too. So maybe finding that thing-a-mabob leads to finding the sister."

“I was also planning on finding Gradient somehow, but… Luckily, I won’t have to worry about that now. Other than that, there is also the janitor. I’m quite sure that he knows about the tragedy that happened here before the school closed down. Well...Gradient was here too then, but until I manage to learn enochian it’s going to be hard to have her tell about it.”
    That made Pyry stop for a moment.

"You mean Jake? Huh..." He responded, thinking for a moment. "Maybe we could try to get some info out of him. Even with last night taken into account, he seems like a pretty okay dude..."

“Well, remember that annoying woman we met yesterday? The one who was running that store with the baseball equipment and those ‘legends’ of hers. We could introduce Colt to her at some point, since he is probably the one who can afford those prices more than any of us. Err, I found your wallet after...you know, *that* happened and we tried to get you out of there. Not that I cared about your money, we were just looking for any information at all. Which reminds me...is your real name Colt Davin, or Colt Barrett then?”
    This time, it was all eyes on Colt - even those of Gradient.

Almost expectant atmosphere fell into the room.

And then... a somewhat creepy smile started sneaking onto Tris's face.

"Wait... art thou rich in gold and silver, Colt?" she asked, putting everyone's thoughts into words. "H-how wealthy art we talking about here...?"

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart
    Date: 08.09.1994 (WED)

My my, so many speakers, so much to say. But first, a breath, as Tonkori leaves me to wander over to a younger model. While it is a bit of a betrayal, it is to be expected - I am neither new nor interesting. If anything, my skin is too cold for it to be comforting to animals. And yet...

Ah...

Very well, Tonkori. I will assuredly deliver to you unto your requested gifts, fear not. I am not the type of person to eat a lot - if anything - in the first place. So it is fine, no?

"And what is that supposed to mean, pray tell?'
    "Now now, Cesarina, Subaru," I said with a smile as I rose from my position towards the ground. "Both of you are most certainly reliable, yes? It is the likes of me who is the unreliable one in this instance."

Tapping a finger to my cheek, I held it up in the air with a wink.

"It is one of my... What is the word in English? Ah, yes! 'character traits'! As an outside observer, I can assure you that both of you are very reliable people, who I would be most happy to have by my side in a time of danger! Of course, due to my unreliability, this might place you in danger! But never fear, for while I may be unreliable, I can assure you of one thing!"

I gave the duo a thumbs up.

"Even if I were forced to set the world ablaze, I would try my best to make sure you two were not caught up in it!"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

It's quiet.

The field is too quiet.

Just like my mind, which was white hot with silent rage a minute ago, it's too quiet.

That silence is foreboding.

That silence... is a sign of tension. Tension between Ubon and Mercedes, so tight that it might explode any second.

A terrifying, miserable silence.

A silence that threatens something much worse.

That silence...

Is blasted to bits in an instant.

The mighty Pink Dragon's horn cries out proudly once, twice, three times. Its deafening call challenges all who approach, as I roll in, leaning on the handlebars, eyes flicking between the two girls.

This is the sort of atmosphere a normal human might find it hard to intrude on. But I'm no human.

"Did I interrupt something?"

This is one of those 'rhetorical questions' humans like to use.

"If it's a contest, then it needs a referee. Otherwise it'll drag on and get ugly when nobody agrees on who won."

Ubon and Mercedes... one of them I wanna hug real tight. The other one I know next to nothing about. While someone might use that as an excuse to say I'd be a totally biased judge, that someone would be wrong.

I judge all humans equally. So if it turns out Mercedes is right, I'll side with her, no problem.

But first, before things like right and wrong can enter the equation, these two frozen people need an icebreaker to move things along.

Why are they here, anyway? Is there something in the bushes they're arguing over? I glance back and forth as I await their answer, looking for what might be the source of this tension.

"...so? Is it serious? Or is it a farce?"

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Date: 08.09.1994

She can’t help but stare at Elise with a confused look as she tries introducing her to John. If it was some sort of joke… she didn’t get it, at all. The rest of the conversation plays itself, as Elise rambles about her adventures last night, but the sudden distancing of John Dove catches her attention. His stoic gaze suddenly has a grim determination.

The Turnside. What does that term mean to you?”
    And like that, it’s suddenly thrust into the open. No, Lucille assumed from the start that the conversation would be about this, but from John’s words alone she cannot tell how deep in he is. Not that it matters. If he remembers, he is irrevocably changed. And thus, as is her duty, she should inform him to the best of her ability. To talk about it is to dig himself ever further, and if he is willing to damn himself, she might as well prepare him with what little she has.

And though he looks at Elise expectantly, it is Lucille Faraday who first answers John’s question.

“The supernatural, of course. A world full of myriad wonders and atrocities. Things ordinary people should not see, because they are too frail to deal with what lies beyond the veil.” She gives a very rote, practiced explanation. Unlike with Mercedes and Aleen, where she was rushing to get them up to speed, John appeared to be more knowledgeable about these matters. “And full of the phenomena this town seems to have in every nook and cranny.”

Being direct is much more her style, Lucille thinks. When there is no pretense, she cannot help but relax. The only thing she should be afraid of is speaking so loudly someone can overhear their discussion of secrets that should not be mentioned.

“I suppose I should give you a proper introduction then, Mister Dove, rather than let Elise give one for me.” Lucille has a wry smile on her face, like she’s about to tell a bad joke. This kind of freeing honesty came at a price, after all.

“I am Saint Lucille Faraday of the Los Angeles Diocese. As is my duty to the Lord, I hunt those that prey on humanity.” Her introduction is well-rehearsed, as if she were about to give John Dove her business card. “You can say Elise and I are coworkers, but to be honest, I had no idea she even existed until we first met at Pinefall.”

“I have plenty to say, but I suppose I should let her speak for herself.”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"...... 'Tis the worketh of Merlin of the kitchens, a venerable magus of foodstuffs, a magician of hunger and satisfaction. Pray tell, what white magic art thou weaving right now, Colt?"

“Ah, no… this is basic. Basic among basics. One part fat to one part flour… slowly add milk and thicken to your tastes.”

Colt nervously described the process, oblivious to the girl’s drool, as his eyes were glued to his task. He then checked the eggs… and found that unlike his gravy, they were exactly how he wanted them. That magic, perfect consistency of sunny side up… without the sketchy flipping that he always ruined, breaking the yolks.

It was then that Colt took his eyes off the stove, and saw that Gradient was practically grappling Tris to keep her hands off the bacon.

An enthusiastic “muuu” from Gradient turned the conversation back to housing, and with a light laugh Colt went back to his own business.

That being, alternating his attention between the oven and the ticking hand of the clock. This was what really mattered. The eggs, the gravy, they were both just filler to accentuate this.

He peeped through the glass of the oven door, as the tops turned a golden, flakey brown.

Buttermilk biscuits.

There is no more FILLING breakfast known to man. A plate of these buttery monsters is enough to send a man off to a hard work in the fields at sunrise, and he’d come back at sunset still full. Slice them in half and put an egg inside, biscuit egg! Tear them into chunks and top with bacon and gravy, biscuits and gravy! Eat them on their own… as long as there’s enough butter, it’s still delicious.

And judging by their color, they were done. Colt popped the oven open and pulled out the biscuits, setting them on a pair of square oven mitts.

He inspected one. It seemed flatter than expected, though still up to par.

“Humidity…”

He repeated the cursed word and sighed.

“Well, remember that annoying woman we met yesterday? The one who was running that store with the baseball equipment and those ‘legends’ of hers. We could introduce Colt to her at some point.”

During the time that he had been cooking, Colt had tuned out the others. Their conversation had gotten a bit out of his realm of knowledge. Stuff about finding a sister of Ru, who Colt still knew nothing of, and U-Salem, which the others had something of a handle on. Then something about a girl on some second floor. He hadn’t been paying attention, but when his name came up, he finally looked back at the rest.

“Since he is probably the one who can afford those prices more than any of us. Err, I found your wallet after...you know, *that* happened and we tried to get you out of there.”

His light expression that had been filled with the simple joy of cooking slowly began to fade. Catching the implications, Colt gave a silent, hard stare.

“Not that I cared about your money, we were just looking for any information at all. Which reminds me...is your real name Colt Davin, or Colt Barrett then?”

Colt’s eyes fell, and he frowned. The question, or rather, the way it came about, was not well liked. A fact that the boy did not try to make subtle, even as all eyes turned to him.

"Wait... art thou rich in gold and silver, Colt? H-how wealthy art we talking about here...?"
    “… It’s not something I like to flaunt like that, but yes. My family has money.” After a moment, Colt answered Tris. “I meant it when I offered to put you up in a hotel for as long as you needed it.”

Colt paused, trying not to sigh. He didn’t want the strange knight to feel like she did something wrong for asking a question that anyone would be understandably curious about. Instead he looked at Hisa.

“I don’t understand what useful information you expected to find in my wallet, but it makes me more than a little uncomfortable to think that while I was a corpse you decided to go through my personal belongings.” There were less kind words, Colt wanted to say, but they stayed in. But it was obvious from the look in his eyes that his thoughts were far from friendly. After struggling with self control, he turned back around, and turned off the oven. Facing away from the group, the boy sighed. “Colt Davin or Colt Barrett, call me whichever you like.”

Hisa Momoi

“Well...let me share my perspective with you, before you judge me for anything.”

My words were carefully measured as I observed the expression of the boy. It wasn’t hard to tell from his behaviour that in his eyes, I stepped on a moral land mine. Something that may or may not have been true in the ordinary society, but...as I had to realize a few times already, I appeared to be less knowledgeable about the rules of society than i wanted to.

And of course, him being dead at some point was already mentioned now, which is going to be hard to explain to Pyry, and especially Tris.

Still, before going there, I stepped over to the door and lightly tapped the wall outside, and made sure to properly look around the walls of the kitchen to look for unwelcome eyes or ears.

Nothing how there was nothing like that to worry about, I turned back to Colt.

“I was looking for IDs. Notes. Fingerprints. Anything that could have hinted at who your killer was. It’s part of my job...to investigate, that is, so it felt like a natural step to take. I apologize if that was wrong, but I don’t exactly have the morel compass of that of an ordinary human, so I couldn’t tell.”

I wonder if I’m doing things wrong again, and I just can’t tell. It’s hard to be sensible. It’s hard to satisfy the expectations of people. To behave like how they expect you to, to prevent them from being mad at you. A real pain in the ass...but then, I suppose this is why I’m here, and why I’m considered an outcast from society.

“You also have to keep in mind that when I’ve done that, I still had no idea that a whole series of other tragedies were going to happen that day...and not in my wildest dreams I would have expected that we were going to be back here again,” I continued after the brief pause, “Still, I did find out a lot. Like who your killer likely was. Though...regarding that, I doubt that she did it on her own accord.”

Another pause, as I rubbed my temples with my hands.

With just this much, I probably already managed to destroy any semblance of fun that was to be had this morning. Once again, I was probably not the most sensible person to talk about things like this. But then...it was something to had to came up sooner or later. And it was already thursday...So how long was I supposed to delay it? Until saturday? And then tell them that they were all going to die tomorrow?

“That’s another mystery of this place. That there’s some outside force that is trying to turn us against each other. Something they likely have many methods for. A few I have guesses for, but...there’s definitely the Disembodied Man. He haunts people, makes them go crazy, until they murder others, or even themselves. And it’s not just a tale or a legend. It’s certain.”

I let out a long, deep sigh.

This was just the tip of the iceberg, and it already felt quite hard to talk about it.

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart & Elaine Winters
    Date: 08.09.1994 (WED)

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "Mm, yeah, sure. He's apparently been around here for a bit, a good chunk of the town probably knows his face, was going to go poke around somewhere he'd skulked around last night, but, well. Can't leave someone out there in the cold like that, alone and hungry. Here."
    Ramia gazed at the picture for a moment, taking in the details of the older man depicted in it. Even Cesarina and Subaru stopped their bickering (just for a moment) so they could commit his looks into memory. Once everybody taken the time to familiarize themselves with the looks, what was going on before continued. That is, Cesarina and Subaru continued arguing with each other, while 17 kept spoiling Tonkori rotten with adoration only a little girl can produce when meeting with a puppy. Ramia, on the other hand, folded her arms and nodded to Elaine.

"Alright, I'll ask around. Of course, might be easier if we make few copies of the picture so I can show it to people I'm talking to. I think I saw a photocopier at the faculty office," the dusky-skinned mercenary said. "Missing posters might be an option too, though... do we wanna give your brother a possibility to know someone's after him? Is he the type to leg it at that point?"

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "Honestly, my horndog brother being the way he is, I'd be surprised if he knew little Steph was his in the first place. Already know at least one chick he's graced with his presence. Wouldn't even be surprised if he decided to comfort the widow, too... Appreciate the help, I already got a couple of doofuses helpin' me out already. But it's nice to have another tracker sniffing around."
    That information made Ramia grimace a bit.

"Eesh, that kinda man? Sounds a bit like someone I know... Still, poor Stephanie. No kid should have to live without their parent..." For a moment, Ramia fell into a slightly uncomfortable silence, as if she was remembering something from her own past... before she waved it all away with a gesture and a grin. "But yeah, don't mention it! I mean, I'm going to go around the town looking for this old thingamajig myself, so I can look for one irresponsible parent at the same time easily."

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "Now now, Cesarina, Subaru. Both of you are most certainly reliable, yes? It is the likes of me who is the unreliable one in this instance. It is one of my... What is the word in English? Ah, yes! 'character traits'! As an outside observer, I can assure you that both of you are very reliable people, who I would be most happy to have by my side in a time of danger! Of course, due to my unreliability, this might place you in danger! But never fear, for while I may be unreliable, I can assure you of one thing! Even if I were forced to set the world ablaze, I would try my best to make sure you two were not caught up in it!"
    Both Subaru and Cesarina stopped their bickering at that, blinking owlishly at Alexstrasza and her words.

A moment of awkward silence followed... which was eventually broken when Cesarina burst into a chuckle.

"W-wahahaha~! What are you even saying, Zaza? If you set the world ablaze, that would put us in danger all the same!" She replied, before putting hands on her hips and nodding. "Instead of something drastic like that, that's the time when you rely on someone who is reliable... like me for example, wahahaha~!"

Subaru snorted after hearing that, though surprisingly enough seemed to agree.

"Honestly. If you think yourself unreliable in some things, Miss Lockhart, finding someone to turn to in times of trouble like that is paramount. One person can easily topple after all, but two people supporting each other is much harder to push to the ground," the tiny priestess said with a curt smile. "It reminds me of this tale of taking three arrows and trying to break them and... ah well, maybe a tale for another time."

She turned to look towards Tonkori, who was currently licking 17's face, much to the little girl's delight.

"The bottom line is, people are stronger when they have others at their back. After all, we can defeat our flaws with strengths of our friends," Subaru continued, before looking up at Ramia and Elaine. "Is that not so, you two?"

It looked as if the tiny shrine maiden was looking for someone to back up her thoughts on the matter.

Colt Davin & Hisa Momoi

“… It’s not something I like to flaunt like that, but yes. My family has money. I meant it when I offered to put you up in a hotel for as long as you needed it.”
    Tris blinked in surprise and, oddly enough, had enough understanding to take a step back and look apologetic after hearing the boy's tone.

"M-my apologies, Colt. I didst not think thou wouldst findeth such inquiry... invasive," the blonde knightess finally replied. "I-it's simply that I hath not met rich people beforeth, and thus I was a tiny bit excitedeth for such a meeting to hath occureth."

Even Gradient and Pyry avoided their gazes a little, awkwardly realizing their momentary interest had hit a sore spot.

“I don’t understand what useful information you expected to find in my wallet, but it makes me more than a little uncomfortable to think that while I was a corpse you decided to go through my personal belongings. Colt Davin or Colt Barrett, call me whichever you like.”
    “Well...let me share my perspective with you, before you judge me for anything. I was looking for IDs. Notes. Fingerprints. Anything that could have hinted at who your killer was. It’s part of my job...to investigate, that is, so it felt like a natural step to take. I apologize if that was wrong, but I don’t exactly have the moral compass of that of an ordinary human, so I couldn’t tell.”
    Pyry, who had been listening in on the exchange, decided to chime in.

"Mm, I mean, I understand how you feel man... though from how that day has sounded, everybody must've been desperate. I got a doze of Hisa's memories earlier, and she certainly felt like she was at a breaking point... which was probably why she was so laser-focused yesterday. Took me forever to make her crack a smile," the blonde boy said, flashing a slightly teasing grin to her direction. "I mean, if something like that happened and you were the survivor, wouldn't you try everything to figure out what was going on? So, uh... don't be too harsh on her, man. We're all in this together, after all."

And after a momentary pause...

"As for what to call you... you mind if I just use 'Colt'?" Pyry asked with a grin. "Barrett or Davin just feels too formal with your goofy face."

“You also have to keep in mind that when I’ve done that, I still had no idea that a whole series of other tragedies were going to happen that day...and not in my wildest dreams I would have expected that we were going to be back here again. Still, I did find out a lot. Like who your killer likely was. Though...regarding that, I doubt that she did it on her own accord.”
    That made Pyry's attention focus back on Hisa in a heartbeat.

"Wait, what? You figured out who iced him?" He asked, looking surprised. "Is... is she one of the students we have here now? You think she might do it again?"

Apparently, he had completely forgotten that there was one other person in the room who obviously knew who had killed Colt aside from Hisa.

... Colt himself.

“That’s another mystery of this place. That there’s some outside force that is trying to turn us against each other. Something they likely have many methods for. A few I have guesses for, but...there’s definitely the Disembodied Man. He haunts people, makes them go crazy, until they murder others, or even themselves. And it’s not just a tale or a legend. It’s certain.”
    "... The Disembodied Man..."

Pyry's repeat of the name made the whole kitchen fall silent for a while. Gradient, Tris and the blonde youth exchanged glances with each other, before all eyes ending up staring at both Hisa and Colt.

"So... Some sorta possessing spirit? Man... I think I should look for something to strengthen my mind. I've always been sorta weak against mental interference," Pyry said seriously, folding his arms and frowning. "And if it's trying to turn us all against each other, that sounds like one of the first things we have to stop. The best way to stop the week from ending in a tragedy is to make sure everyone's on the same page and on the same side. In other words, make allies we can trust."

Pyry perhaps expected others to agree with what he was saying... which was why it was sort of surprising that Tris lifted her hand up like she had been a student in class.

And when she had everyone's attention.

"Umm, excuseth me, but..." She started, shooting a slightly flustered and confused gaze towards Colt. "D-didst mine ears hear right, and was there a mentioneth that thou werest dead at some pointeth? A-am I to realizeth that I art a failure of a knightess even beforeth I hath began my work? D-Dost that meanst I art now conversing with a spirit or a corpse?"

A sudden, fearful shiver passed through the girl, and she turned pale.

"D-Dost thou mean I hath spent my night with a cadaver, like some sorteth of deviant...!?"

Gradient let out a groaning sound and hit her face with her palm.

Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "Did I interrupt something? If it's a contest, then it needs a referee. Otherwise it'll drag on and get ugly when nobody agrees on who won. ...so? Is it serious? Or is it a farce?"
    The sudden arrival of the one trying to break the mood was unexpected for both Ubon and Mercedes. The latter's reaction was as expected. A heavy, annoyed sigh escaped from her lips and she pinched the bridge of her nose, as if she was looking at a piece of dung on the road that had just arrived on a scooter to bother her. Ubon, on the other hand, simply stared at the tiny girl with slightly widened eyes, as if she didn't know what to say.

"Prushie..." Ubon murmured, before the sound of Mercedes clicking her tongue drew everyone's attention.

The eyes of the actress were like steel.

"Gawd, look at what you did. You had to, like, prattle on about nonsense so long that our class's very own kindergartener showed up. As if this couldn't get any more annoying," Mercedes spat out, clearly not appreciating Prushka butting in. "So were you gonna get to the point or, like, waste my time so more?"

Ubon, having heard these harsh words, focused her attention back on the starlet and frowned a bit. It was a strange look on the usually cheerful face.

"I dunno what you're talking about. I just wanted to chat while eating breakfast, and you turned it into some sorta argument," she said back. "It's you who's prattling on about nonsense, for realsies."

A scoff emerged from Mercedes's mouth, and she folded her arms gracefully.

"Puh-lease. You might got the others fooled, but I do lying for living. I know a faker when I see one," the actress said, narrowing her eyes at the cyanhead. "So act like an happy-go-lucky airhead all you want... I can see right through you. You got like all sorta nasty thoughts swirling in that goofy head of yours. They're clear from your eyes. You just hide them a bit better or what-ever... though not good enough. That mask's beginning to slip."

There was a flash of anger in Ubon's eyes that she tried not to show, yet even she had to stomp her foot down momentarily and push a little forward, hands now at her sides and clenched in tiny fists.

"I-I don't got any masks! This is just who I am, warts and all!" Ubon protested. "Just 'cause I'm a little happier than others doesn't make me a liar! Nor does it make my happiness a lie! I-I'm just as happy on the inside as I'm outside!"

A cool indifference from Mercedes was her only reply.

Along with curt words.

"Like... that's not what I'm talking about," Mercedes answered. "I'm talking about the fact that you're, like, a fire... yet you try to act like you don't burn."

Even Ubon looked confused... confused, and slightly scared.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Maybe I should have told Liana to be a bit less enthusiastic in hindsight. Because while I didn’t get hit by a book this time, Nora Norumbega still fell over and sent the books used as her chair everywhere. Regardless… What’s done is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Nora Norumbega
    "Ugh... W-what was... Oh! A-hem! I apologize. Y-you two took me by surprise and, I, well, was rather deep into that book... didn't realize you were there."
    Quote Originally Posted by Liana
    "Ah, no, it's fine! The one who should be apologizing is me really, I wasn't trying to scare you."
    “Sorry… about that thought you noticed us. But what book were you so engrossed in? Some kind of horror novel?”

Actually I knew what kind of book it was and that was a little too on the point for it to be a normal mythology book or journal. Especially considering that PAGE showed up with me when I saw Muse recently. Even then, I could always use more knowledge on Turnside threats due to my overspecialization of anti-personnel training. I wonder if they knew that and did that on purpose so they could neutralize us better if they had to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nora Norumbega
    "But, what was that? Ah, yes, the library? I suppose I am rather used to it by now... though I don't know aboot being able to assist with making sense of it. The way these books are arranged is still quite the mystery to me. Though I have realized it just might have something to do with the year they've been printed... or the year they've been added here. I'm still not certain."
    "Ah? So there is a method to the madness? Excellent. A good mystery is always fun to figure out."
    “I would prefer it if they used a more common method of organization for the books though… It doesn’t even need to be the Library of Congress or Dewey Decimal method. Sorting by title would also be acceptable, but by date the book was created or placed here would mean a user would have to know when the book was made or brought here. Which is almost impossible for casual readers...”

I patiently waited for my turn to shake hands since we were doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by =Nora Norumbega
    "Anyways, I apologize for late introductions Nora Norumbega, a student at the Memorial University of Newfoundland. Nice to meet you, Vier, Liana. I suppose you two are the new students of Pinefall I've heard so much about?"
    "Yeah, just got in a few days ago."
    “Are we really that famous? We only got here about two days ago… Granted we did have a nice little concert at the beach yesterday. So I guess that might be a reason why people noticed us.”

"Wanted a job to make some spending money, and heard there was a library here at the hotel, so I figured I'd check it out, kill two birds with one stone, you know? It's always my policy to read up on the places I'm going to be living in, and heard a few decent stories yesterday, so thought I'd do some digging around myself on the local myths."
    After Liana and Nora Norumbega shook hands, I placed my hand out for her to shake as well. I gave my handshake to be slightly less firm than normal to indicate that I wished to be more casual.

“I’m the same when it comes to being poor and wanting to see the library as Lia. However, I think she just likes looking for something to do like look into the Town’s Top Ten Mysteries or something. Especially since she took part in last night’s Test of Courage.”

Elise Pelltier

John Dove suddenly ground to a halt. His stony gaze passing by Lucille and then falling on Elise.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    The Turnside. What does that term mean to you?”
    Elise groaned to herself, He's not wrong, you did jump the gun. I got a little too excited for answers and started rambling. Still, I know she knows, she knows I know, I know he knows, and I've said as much already. Do we really need to run around the circle one more time? I guess so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille Faraday
    “I am Saint Lucille Faraday of the Los Angeles Diocese. As is my duty to the Lord, I hunt those that prey on humanity. You can say Elise and I are coworkers, but to be honest, I had no idea she even existed until we first met at Pinefall. I have plenty to say, but I suppose I should let her speak for herself.”
    Lucille had said her part, and now it was her turn. She shuffled her feet as she crossed her arms, even as she locked her eyes to John's and matched his stare.

Well, this is it, I suppose, thought Elise glumly.

“The Turnside refers to the supernatural side of the world, and all the hidden mysteries therein. Regardless of nature or intention of such things, however, they have the potential to be a danger and cause harm those who are uninitiated in it just by mere exposure,” replied Elise, “As Lucille noted, we seem to be awash in it here. The fact that we're here at all right now again is proof of that.”

Which reminds me... I kind of wants to find out who put that plague doctor mask wearing construct up to the task, and throw her in the pool for nearly driving poor Inacio over the edge.

“As for a proper introduction...” Elise paused to take a deep breath, and then continued, "I'm Sister Elise Pelltier, an Inquisitor of the Roman Catholic Church. Like Lucille, I'm a hunter of those who would prey on humanity, although I'm typically more involved in the clean up in the aftermath of those conflicts. Helping and healing those who were injured or preyed upon. As Lucille said, we were not informed of each others presence here, and more or less stumbled across each other by chance on Sunday.”

Wasn't there something else?

No. No there wasn't.

Definitely not.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Colt nodded at Hisa’s request to give her side of things, why she did what she did. With every passing second the light atmosphere of the morning was evaporating like sweat in the desert. It wasn’t his intention to drag things in the mud. But what he’d heard, it bothered him. He felt, in a way, invaded. He wasn’t overtly angry or sad, he simply felt wronged.

Still, the more that Hisa said, the less bothered he felt. It wouldn’t change that what she did was, in his eyes, in a word, disrespectful. But…

“Y’know, I haven’t seen a whole lot of it, but I’m not surprised that someone coming from that weird side of life might turn out a bit odd.” Colt unsubtly shot his eyes at Tris and Pyry, as if to say ‘case-in-point’. “Apology accepted. I’m sorry for getting upset.”

Eyes still on Tris, Colt sighed.

“And Tris…” Suddenly, he forced a plate of food toward the blonde knight. “I’m not bothered by that question, don’t worry. If you want a more concrete answer… I may or may not carry a few thousand in cash… and some other valuables that total, like, I dunno, $500,000? Don’t worry though, I know that money isn’t enough to show my appreciation, so I won’t try to force any of that onto you. After all, money isn’t what moves the heart of a knight such as yourself, right?”

Colt had seen that smile of hers, her eyes had practically lit up like little spotlights a moment ago.

He gave her a teasing wink.

“You also have to keep in mind that when I’ve done that, I still had no idea that a whole series of other tragedies were going to happen that day...and not in my wildest dreams I would have expected that we were going to be back here again. Still, I did find out a lot. Like who your killer likely was. Though...regarding that, I doubt that she did it on her own accord.”

"Wait, what? You figured out who iced him? Is... is she one of the students we have here now? You think she might do it again?"

Suddenly, Colt laughed. An actual mouthful of laughter. This time yesterday he couldn’t have possibly imagined it, but here he was earnestly laughing at the topic of his murder.

“Pyry… Pyry… You could ask me, I was the one who stared down the barrel of a 45 that night.” Forcing himself to stop laughing, Colt cut in to remind the others that there was a witness to the whole thing. “As thanks for not calling me something weird like Mister Barrett, I’ll refrain from calling you anything like Beautiful Beast.”

He laughed again, a little more lightly this time.

“And I doubt it was hard to figure out, seeing how things went last week, that Xylia’d kill me.” Colt leaned back on the kitchen counter and gave up the answer to the question, confirming what he assumed Hisa to already assume. “And… she might do it again. Maybe not to me this time, but it’s possible.”

"So... Some sorta possessing spirit? Man... I think I should look for something to strengthen my mind. I've always been sorta weak against mental interference. And if it's trying to turn us all against each other, that sounds like one of the first things we have to stop. The best way to stop the week from ending in a tragedy is to make sure everyone's on the same page and on the same side. In other words, make allies we can trust."

The boy’s eyebrows went up. Hisa had put together a lot already, and it honestly impressed him. But there was still a missing piece.

“Dot F. Loonwaters.” Colt cut in again, adding a name to the list. “She seemed a bit insistent on being addressed as ‘ms,’ and claims to be the one behind it all.”

He rubbed his chin. Muse said that it was the reason Colt’s memories had been preserved, then was it the same for Hisa, and Gradient?

“She’s the thing in Muse’s woods.”

"Umm, excuseth me, but..."

This time it was Tris who cut in as the boy was about to move onto asking about the topic of puer aeternus, and Colt turned to see her giving him a puzzling look.

"D-didst mine ears hear right, and was there a mentioneth that thou werest dead at some pointeth? A-am I to realizeth that I art a failure of a knightess even beforeth I hath began my work? D-Dost that meanst I art now conversing with a spirit or a corpse?"

“Uh…”

"D-Dost thou mean I hath spent my night with a cadaver, like some sorteth of deviant...!?"

There was a loud groan, and Colt found himself surprised that it had come from the queen of ‘muuu’s. The sight of the girl facepalming with such force that he actually heard a slap caused him to giggle.

“Tris,” Colt pushed another plate toward Gradient, the other he had promised to absolutely feed. All the while his eyes stayed on the knight. “Are you the type that drinks and forgets? ‘Cause I could swear I told you… well, all of this.”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

It's strange.

This is definitely Ubon and Mercedes, standing there, about to get into an argument.

Yet, from this angle, looking at the situation from where I am, it's like I'm seeing something else. How many times has a variation of this argument happened? How many times have I been on both sides of it?

How many times has it not ended in tears?

It's strange. There's obviously only one correct answer here. Having seen the proof of what Mercedes is talking about, it's obvious which one of them has their hands on the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes
    "Puh-lease. You might got the others fooled, but I do lying for living. I know a faker when I see one. So act like an happy-go-lucky airhead all you want... I can see right through you. You got like all sorta nasty thoughts swirling in that goofy head of yours. They're clear from your eyes. You just hide them a bit better or what-ever... though not good enough. That mask's beginning to slip."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubon
    "I-I don't got any masks! This is just who I am, warts and all! Just 'cause I'm a little happier than others doesn't make me a liar! Nor does it make my happiness a lie! I-I'm just as happy on the inside as I'm outside!"
    "Like... that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the fact that you're, like, a fire... yet you try to act like you don't burn."
    "...Mm. Yeah, it really is a good act." I nod in agreement with the blonde actress' words. "No doubt about that."

Yes, whoever this Mercedes West is, her eyes are much keener than mine. She saw through Ubon instantly. And she doesn't hesitate to make her boredom and exasperation known. What a wonderfully bitter human. If it were the me from before, Mercedes and I would've gotten along splendidly.

But, right now, for some reason, even though Mercedes is absolutely correct in everything she's said... it's her act that's pissing me off.

I step off the scooter, but keep my hand on the horn in case someone needs a bit of honking to clear their head.

"You don't have to put it like that, though, making it sound like Ubon's putting a show of being someone she's not. That happy-go-lucky scatterbrain is definitely the real deal. And if it's not the real deal, if it's all an act... then it's still a serious act, isn't it? The kind of performance you'd wanna clap for, that gets a standing ovation because someone poured their heart and soul into it and tried to leave a good impression on people."

I used to think humans were awful because they couldn't help but lie to each other. And it's true; they're all liars, every one of them. Ubon herself is no exception. In fact, given what happened last night, she might have been lying about more than anyone expected.

"You said you're good at acting, right, Mercedes? That makes sense; usually humans have a hard time being so abrasive and pushy, especially to someone they've barely talked to, but when you do it, it's like second-nature. You're probably not afraid of being disliked at all, huh? If someone looks at you and thinks horrible things, you can just shrug and move on. But most people don't like being hated by others. It feels awful."

And yet... for whose sake do those lies exist? Why does Ubon lie? The answer is not an awful one: Ubon lies because she's kind. Far too kind to others, and cruel to herself.

I still remember last night. The person her words hurt the most was herself. But she said them anyway. Not for her sake... but for mine and John's.

It's hard to be kind. But it's harder still to be cruel.

"So it's okay if Ubon only wants to show others her happy side for now. She'll be fine; you don't need to worry. There are people who'll accept the burning parts too."

After circling around as I spoke... I arrive at Ubon's side.

On the other, hand, Mercedes herself...

"...are you really fine with being looked at this way, though? I didn't think I'd ever meet someone who was afraid of showing off her good side, especially when she's offering such kind advice... but with you and Xylia, that makes two at Pinefall already."

Yes, that's what's strange here... why does Mercedes West, a good person who's clearly trying to help Ubon, want to make herself look like a villain?

Hisa Momoi

“In the end, I only survived for so long and solved practically nothing…” I mumbled to myself as I scratched my head.

I deserved little praise or acknowledgement. I couldn’t solve anything, or save anyone. I couldn’t even save myself. Worst of all...it was probably quite the opposite, because…

“Yeah, it was Xylia,” I spoke up, trying to put the darker thoughts aside for now, “A-and well, of course you would know. S-still, I didn’t know that much about you, or her, or your relationship, and least I expected for you to be back like this.”

Of course, in the end, that part of the investigation was sort of redundant like this as well. There wasn’t really a need for me to figure out who killed him, when he knows that perfectly well. I mean, he was quite literally there. And now he is alive again to tell about it.

“Still...I have no idea if she would do it again, I mean...she does look quite unstable, but at the same time...Is she really so evil to do such thing?”

I couldn’t really tell. But at the very least, I wanted to give that benefit of doubt to everyone in the class. A lot of them might have been unpleasant and outright nasty, but I would not take any of them for cold blooded killers who would consider killing any of us. There must have been plenty of outside influence for them to resort to something like that.

The discussion continued, and the topic changed to the Disembodied Man. Unfortunately, most of what I knew about him was quite uncertain, and most of it was just what I heard from Carrie. Perhaps a reliable source, but not much of an insight from the supernatural side of things.

“I might be able to help you with that,” I said as I turned to Pyry, “Though it might not be easy, since we’d need a longer term solution. Still, there are certainly some precautions...most importantly, that you spend as little time on your own as possible. If it’s something that wants to infiltrate the class without making a scene, then it’s much less likely that you’d get targeted in a group. And even if you do, your odds are much better if you’re not alone.”

I wonder what would have happened if Prushka and Vivienne did not take care of that shadow creature. Was that related to this as well? Was something going to take over me, or maybe replace me?

When did that happen again?

“Dot F. Loonwaters?” my attention shifted to Colt this time, “That’s the monster that’s supposed to be there?”

I scratched my cheek as I tried to collect what little I knew about Muse and that place, but somehow I doubted that we would get too far with just that.”

“To be honest...most things related to that are still a mystery to me. I know that...it’s supposed to be the realm of dreams, and that Muse is formed from our memories. She is also the reason why we remember, because...supposedly dreams exist separately from time as we know it. But...that’s about it, really.”

It was a bit of an embarrassment that I only knew so little. With something so intriguing, I definitely should have spent a lot more time with Muse, and invest more effort into learning more about that place. And yet…

“Well, she did give me a...prophecy of sorts about Gradient, but it was quite cryptic,” I said as I glanced at Gradient, “Err, if I were to break it into parts…’Denied of home, denied of tongue, she sleeps in a glass tomb beneath the green waves’...This made some sense, and I could only assume that green waves referred to trees or grass, but...glass tomb, I have no idea about.”

Maybe Colt could tell us more about that.

“ ‘Her dreams are illuminated by the light of the tower, of the past she once shared when she first walked the land.’ I’m not too sure about the exact meaning, but...the tower could be the lighthouse, and the second part might refer to her not being...well, not originating from earth. I think that...she came here, or was sent here around the time the previous tragedy in this school happened, and that refers to her past…”

I kept taking somewhat desperate glances at Gradient, half hoping that she could confirm that at least some of my guesses were correct. Or incorrect. Even that would help, since that would mean I could just try to approach things from a different perspective.

“Then…’Only few remember, her name and her ways, the man in the rust, and the heiress where the night-birds roost.’ This...would likely tie back to the fact that she was here during that time. The man in the rust...might be someone at the junkyard? While the heiress where the night-birds roost...might be someone from the hotel. It’s called Owl’s Nest, so...would make sense. I think there is also Jake, and there might very well be some sort of a connection between the three.”

But would need to find, and talk to said people first to be able to confirm that.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff & Liana Skye

"Yeah, just got in a few days ago. Wanted a job to make some spending money, and heard there was a library here at the hotel, so I figured I'd check it out, kill two birds with one stone, you know? It's always my policy to read up on the places I'm going to be living in, and heard a few decent stories yesterday, so thought I'd do some digging around myself on the local myths. But a University Student all the way out here, huh? Are you working on your thesis?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “I’m the same when it comes to being poor and wanting to see the library as Lia. However, I think she just likes looking for something to do like look into the Town’s Top Ten Mysteries or something. Especially since she took part in last night’s Test of Courage.”
    Nora nodded at their explanations.

"Well yes, I can understand that. There aren't many places in the town that hire part-timers, so if it's money you're after, Owl's Nest is a good choice. This place is aboot as run-down as a hotel can get," the taller girl explained. "As for myself, well... not exactly a thesis. Not yet, anyway. See, I'm studying at the Department of Folklore back home so this just the sort of stuff I'm here for. Road's End is rather interesting in that regard, as it shares legends from rest of United State, the tales of local natives and stuff that has crossed the border from Canada. Many weird tales and fables, really. Perfect for a student like me."

Then, as the blue-haired girl was starting to gather up all the books that had been tossed about thanks to her unfortunate fall, she moved onto the next topic... or rather, something that the duo had asked previously about. A strange sort of expression passed by Nora's face as she glanced at both Liana and Vier, but eventually enough it was replaced by a gentle sort of smile - gentle as it could get with her. After all, she looked as sturdy as the trees around here, as long as she wasn't taken by surprise, and thus, her smile meandered more to the curt side of things.

"As for whether or not you lot are famous, well, one could say you are. Road's End is a small town, so every outsider gets a lot of scrutiny form the locals. Even I've gotten my fair share of suspicious looks," she explained. "But your situation is a bit different. After all, you'll be staying here for a year and the whole Oceandrop Program sank a lot of money into this bodunk little town. Some hope that it will help revitalize the economy around here, others are worried aboot the possible problems that might come with it."

She made a vague gesture in the air.

"Some even say that the program turned Pinefall into a glorified mental ward," she added. "Mostly the eldest of the locals. But even if that were the case, it's still quite rude. Mental problems are not something to fear, but to try to treat."

With a little sigh, Nora had finally managed to pile up all the books that had fallen about, until her hands stopped at the last one. She lifted it up, almost as if remembering that Vier had asked about it previously, before finally turning to look at the girls once more. She sat back on top of the pile of books, finally bringing herself more or less to the eye-level with the duo.

"And aboot the book you asked, well... it's aboot a local legend - the Disembodied Man. It's some sort of local spirit said to haunt the woods and prey on both locals and passersby, making them lose their way and disappear without a trace," Nora said. "A man in an old suit, a silhouette more than anything else, that you can see on the edge of your vision. If someone goes missing, the locals used to say it was the fault of the Disembodied Man. If he took you, you would be never seen again. A variation of your typical fair folk legend, or so I thought, but..."

A somewhat troubled expression passed by Nora's face.

"... It's a one that's persisted till this century. And with the disappearances of local saw-workers it has kept itself relevant over the years in the minds of the locals," she concluded. "I guess it could just be an explanation for those who get lost in the woods and die of starvation or of an wild animal attack, but I don't know... it's strangely persistent. Even the fact that it's a man in a suit, and not something else, is somewhat odd."

Colt Davin & Hisa Momoi

“Pyry… Pyry… You could ask me, I was the one who stared down the barrel of a 45 that night. As thanks for not calling me something weird like Mister Barrett, I’ll refrain from calling you anything like Beautiful Beast.”
    "W-wha...!" Pyry stammered, his face glowing red. "S-shut up, I didn't come up with that myself! It was those jerks who made me, s-so there! I can't help it if I'm saddled with that sorta ridiculous title! It's not even official, since I'm not exactly part of Pentagrammon!"

Still, even Tris snorted into her food as she heard this, though she tried to hide it by busying herself with her fork and her knife, now that she had sat down back at the table.

“And I doubt it was hard to figure out, seeing how things went last week, that Xylia’d kill me. And… she might do it again. Maybe not to me this time, but it’s possible.”
    “Yeah, it was Xylia. A-and well, of course you would know. S-still, I didn’t know that much about you, or her, or your relationship, and least I expected for you to be back like this. Still...I have no idea if she would do it again, I mean...she does look quite unstable, but at the same time...Is she really so evil to do such thing?”
    That made Pyry fall silent, as did both Tris and Gradient. The blonde boy stared outside through the window, watching the dark grey clouds that were moving about... and his expression was a strange sort of mask. It was as if he was trying to hold back anger at hearing who had murdered someone he had considered a friend (even if it was in another timeline), yet at the same time he was trying to understand what would drive someone to go as far as to murder someone.

"Xylia..." Pyry finally muttered quietly. "... I... I wanna believe that even she's not that evil. That even she couldn't do it without someone egging her on, pushing her over the edge. Even if our class is full of all sorts of people, and even if we don't get along with everybody, I want to believe that they're still good people, at the end of the day. That none of them would murder their classmate without a reason."

Well, that was understandable.

Even in the Turnside of the World, murder was still murder.

Death wasn't something many could just sweep aside.

So this sort of desire was understandable... even if it might have sounded a bit naive.

I might be able to help you with that. Though it might not be easy, since we’d need a longer term solution. Still, there are certainly some precautions...most importantly, that you spend as little time on your own as possible. If it’s something that wants to infiltrate the class without making a scene, then it’s much less likely that you’d get targeted in a group. And even if you do, your odds are much better if you’re not alone.”
    Hearing that, a slightly relieved look spread on the boy's face.

"Yeah, sure. If you can do something about that, it'd be a load off my mind. That's always been pretty much my biggest weakness - the point even Ange pointed it out," he replied. "And yeah, sticking together, at least in pairs, seems like a good idea altogether. Going about these things alone is bound to get you in trouble, and having someone watch your back is never a bad thign."

“Dot F. Loonwaters. She seemed a bit insistent on being addressed as ‘ms,’ and claims to be the one behind it all. She’s the thing in Muse’s woods.”
    “Dot F. Loonwaters? That’s the monster that’s supposed to be there? To be honest...most things related to that are still a mystery to me. I know that...it’s supposed to be the realm of dreams, and that Muse is formed from our memories. She is also the reason why we remember, because...supposedly dreams exist separately from time as we know it. But...that’s about it, really.”
    Pyry grimaced, as did Tris, as if both were thinking the same thing.

"D-dreams, huh? I hath to admit, I art no expert in them... honestly, it art the spiritual sideth that eluded me in most infuriating ways," Tris piped in, poking her breakfast with her fork. "'Tis things that can be wackedeth with a sword that I art comfortable with, not metaphysical concepts..."

The blonde boy nodded twice in agreement.

"Yeah, seriously. I'm not good with stuff like that, though... I do remember one thing Ange once said to me," Pyry added. "About names. That is, if the thing was insistent that it's called 'Ms. Dot F. Loonwaters', I think it's better to think it as such... because names define intangible, unknowable things. O-or something like that."

The boy glanced at Hisa.

"You know more 'bout this stuff than I do, right? Considering who you grew up with. I think I remember hearing something about names being important!"

And from there, the conversation drifted towards Hisa's dreams.

“Well, she did give me a...prophecy of sorts about Gradient, but it was quite cryptic. Err, if I were to break it into parts…’Denied of home, denied of tongue, she sleeps in a glass tomb beneath the green waves’...This made some sense, and I could only assume that green waves referred to trees or grass, but...glass tomb, I have no idea about. ‘Her dreams are illuminated by the light of the tower, of the past she once shared when she first walked the land.’ I’m not too sure about the exact meaning, but...the tower could be the lighthouse, and the second part might refer to her not being...well, not originating from earth. I think that...she came here, or was sent here around the time the previous tragedy in this school happened, and that refers to her past… Then…’Only few remember, her name and her ways, the man in the rust, and the heiress where the night-birds roost.’ This...would likely tie back to the fact that she was here during that time. The man in the rust...might be someone at the junkyard? While the heiress where the night-birds roost...might be someone from the hotel. It’s called Owl’s Nest, so...would make sense. I think there is also Jake, and there might very well be some sort of a connection between the three.”
    Gradient, who had been mostly quiet for a while, content at listening to others talk, had certainly kept her focus on Hisa when she talked. The girl had not even properly blinked as her friend recalled the prophetic dream she had been given, the divination that had given her only cryptic hints to work with. However, the focus in that stare was not an unnerving one... in fact, it almost looked like Gradient herself wanted to know.

And it was easy enough to see, the moment the topic of a "Man in Rust" and a "Heiress" came up... her eyes lit up, if just for a moment.

Almost like she had almost remembered something.

"That... sounds pretty much the deductions I make. Though it'd take me longer to decipher," Pyry said, adding his own piece to the conversation. "There's only one real 'tower' around here, and those two people... it'd put my money on the Junk Garage and Owl's Nest. Didn't you go visit the former on our first day here, Colt?"

Having asked that question, Pyry turned to look at the brown-haired boy...

... Though the latter had his own problems to worry about now.

Uh… Tris. Are you the type that drinks and forgets? ‘Cause I could swear I told you… well, all of this.”
    Tris stared at Colt.

Unblinking.

Shocked.

Horrified.

And after ten or so seconds of pure silence...

... She tried to hide her blushing, beet-red face in her breakfast.

"............. N-nay. I-it's coming back to me now.........."

... She definitely was the type.

Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "...are you really fine with being looked at this way, though? I didn't think I'd ever meet someone who was afraid of showing off her good side, especially when she's offering such kind advice... but with you and Xylia, that makes two at Pinefall already."
    Surprisingly enough, it wasn't Mercedes who first answered.

No, it was Ubon.

The cyanhead put her hand gentle on Prushka's shoulder, and smiled a gentle, yet apologetic, yet a bit sad, yet a happy smile. It had lot of emotions packed into it, and from the looks of it, they were partially because of what had been said now, and what had been said last night. And when Ubon spoke, it was with no longer wavering, unsure tension that permeated her being when confronted by Mercedes.

"Mm, thanks, Prushie, but that's... that's alright. That's enough," Ubon said. "What Mercy thinks of me, well... I can't change that. And she's not wrong either... for realsies. Even I can be totes horrible and when I am... it's super awful. You know that, right?

Indeed, what had happened last night must have still weighed heavily on Ubon's mind.

Of course it did.

Perhaps that was why Mercedes had approached her and---

"Gawd. Afraid of, like, showing my good side? Girl, you're looking at my only side right now," Mercedes cut into the conversation, her tone harsh and her cold eyes now drilling a hole into Prushka. "You can, like, compare me to that little shit all you want, but we ain't similar - not by a long shot. She's a totes pathetic little turd who thinks she's the hot shit or whatevuh, but me...? I know exactly what I am. And I ain't changing that."

There was gravity in what Mercedes said, as well as her glare. As if she spoke with absolute, unshaking confidence.

"Like, in this life, we all got our roles to play. Mine's to be the bitch who grinds midgets like you under my heel and makes your high school days, like, a living hell. Yours is to be the tiny little ball of anger that, like, loathes how she looks and has a totes a complex about it - which is why you, like, push all the people around you away. But hey, I'm not sticking my nose into that or whatevuh, so don't knocking at my door either. You do you, live your teenage angst the best you can, and I'll be the bitchy thorn at your side that you can, like, never get rid off," Mercedes continued, a sneer rising to her face... until she looked at Ubon, and her expression grew cold again. "Though when it comes to you, ditz..."

Her eyes narrowed.

"... I think we, like, both know the role you play ain't the role you were meant to play. And that's what's causing all this shit. People who try to be what they ain't. It's what makes you miserable and, like, spreads that misery to us too. So cut that shit out."

Once again, Ubon's hands were clenched into fists. The more words Mercedes said, the more the cyanhead's attempts at steering this conversation to calmer waters seemed to fail, and things were certainly headed for a worse direction...

"We both know that it's gonna end up in---!?"

For a moment, Mercedes's eyes widened.

Her body shivered slightly, but she made no other gestures. Instead, her eyes quickly flashed towards herself and her own body, but just for a moment. At the same time, her expression, which had been concentrated into that cold sneer, showcased momentary surprise as if she had seen something she had not anticipated. Then, just as quickly, it was gone... almost as if Mercedes had pushed that something that surprised her, that shocked her out of nowhere, into the deep pits of her mind with sheer willpower, not even breaking her stride for more than just a second and a half.

Yet, it had been clear.

Something had just... made Mercedes stop talking dead in her tracks, and caused her to lose all concentration.

Ubon, who had realized this too, exchanged a worried glance towards Prushka, while Mercedes...

"... what the hell...?"

Used sheer stubborness to regain her composure before she let anything slip.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Date: 08.09.1994

“Hunters? Helping and healing? Then why weren’t you and yours there, on that night? Why didn’t your church help me? WHY DIDN'T YOUR CHURCH HEAL ME!?”

Those words were never spoken. They did not even enter John’s mind. They cannot exist in his mind, for he does not—or cannot—resent nor lament what happened that night.

John only nods, acknowledging what the ladies say, as well as what they do not. If anything, the very fact that Lucille Faraday stands in front of him very much alive tells him that “sainthood” means something very different in the Turnside.

“I will place my trust in you, and believe that the things you say are the things you believe I must know, and those you do not are things I do not need to know. However, allow me a piece of advice: if you truly have something you wish to keep hidden, please be more mindful of where you go at night, Elise Marie.”

He quickly turns to Lucille Faraday.

“For that matter, I hope you can share the results of your exploration of the outbuilding, Miss Faraday. I happened into some intriguing footprints near that building; perhaps you might have an explanation for them. But I guess I first have to respond to your honesty in kind.”

With that said, John rejoins the other two and they can resume their walk outside the campus and into the town proper.

“As you well know by now, my name is John Dove.”

He cannot ascertain that this was always his name, though.

“I am not associated with the Church, nor with any other organization of the Turnside. A supernatural being saved my life years ago. That is all I will say for now; my past is not immediately relevant. I will instead go over these past few days.”

Well that is not being evasive at all.

“Might as well start from last night and go backwards in time. However, let me start with stating that, yes, I did meet Muse in a dream on our first night here. From what Prushka told me, though, it seems Muse presents a different appearance to different people. Anyway, last night.”

He pauses for a second or two to gather his memories and shape them into words.

“As you are both well aware, I was paired with Liana Skye. As you are also well aware, Liana Skye was not part of the student body in the previous iteration of this week, and she has effectively replaced Adelaide Cheshire. Just so you know, Prushka and I already briefed her on the situation, or at least our understanding of it, as she is clearly of the Turnside and already harbored strong suspicions.”

“The trip to the graveyard was fortunately uneventful,” John lies unabashedly and effortlessly. “However, I noticed something strange when visiting the McLampet graves, but we can save that for a discussion on the family itself. I also found the tombstone of one ‘Remington Hartley’. From the age and date of death, I strongly suspect this is the one you mentioned, Elise—the Pinefall student that died before the school was shut down. It is a secondary detail, but it was useful to get a name at least.”

“Skye and I were the first to return to the school, eventually followed by Montjoy and Prushka, both of them in a rather…foul mood. Something might have happened in that forest cabin; Prushka did not share and I did not ask. However, Prushka also carried resentment towards Momoi and Pyry. I am not confident in my ability to read people’s emotions, but I believe it was about the very nature of the Test of Courage and its rigged lottery. Prushka concluded that Momoi was scattering away her classmates into potentially dangerous locations so that she would be unimpeded to explore the old dorms with her ‘sweetheart’. I suspect that exploration of the old dormitory was Prushka’s idea in the first place, and she did not take kindly to being pushed out of it. Well, they have been associating with each other since last week, so there might be a lot more to it than just last night’s ‘game’.”

There is something particularly awkward about John’s description of supernatural teenage drama in his usual flat, emotionless droning voice. However, it comes to no surprise that Prushka and Momoi came into conflict. They are both egocentric to a degree incomprehensible to a young man mostly devoid of ego himself; it is only natural that they cannot reach a common ground.

“Miss Faraday here might have a better analysis. You got the details from Montjoy, right?”

Indeed, she might be better suited to grasping the feelings driving the actors of last night.

“Ubon also learned what happened and…did not take it well. There was some screaming, a short bout of violence, and, well, by the time you arrived the atmosphere was not adequate for resuming the test of courage.”

Something he said—or rather, the way he said it—urges him to make a clarification.

“Please do not assume I am making light of what happened; I am merely trying to be concise. After taking Prushka to her bedroom, I walked around campus for a while, waiting for the students who stayed at the beach to return. Now, regarding yesterday morning…”

Another pause to recall and find the right words to describe what he deems necessary.

“…Momoi and Pyry wanted to investigate the storage shed attached to the school’s track. Momoi sent Ubon after the keys to the shed as a means to get her away from any potential danger. Perhaps she also believed Ubon is not of the Turnside, which I strongly suspect is patently untrue.”

“In any case, there was indeed a being of the Turnside in that shed, although I could not pinpoint exactly what kind of…existence, she is. She introduced herself as ‘Bambi Doubleday’, a merchant of sorts, offering both information and objects of power. Now, I should talk about Sunday.”

A longer pause follows. After all, even he needs some time to gather his thoughts before describing that Sunday. He needs to sift carefully through everything that happened to him that day, for there are things that he deems he should not share, and things he believes are for others to share, not he.

“As you said, on that day I left with Elaine Winters with the intention to report the situation to the local police. However, on the way there, Elaine’s car was disabled by a sniper, Ramia Ramalsaqr. Elaine rushed ahead to engage Ramalsaqr, but she claimed to hold Ubon and Sakura as hostages.”

Of course, he remembers that vividly. How, upon hearing that, he pushed himself to follow Elaine, deeming a hostage situation an unacceptable event that demanded correction. In that moment, John Dove concluded that Ubon’s and Sakura’s safety and well-being were a matter of his concern.

“This turned out to be a lie; Ramalsaqr was producing their voices in some other manner. However, she then declared that Ubon and Sakura were in fact dead.”

There is no need to share the accusations upon Elaine Winters and thus generate additional hostilities and suspicions among people who should be working together. While John has already inferred from Elaine’s own words that the “mysterious masked person” who killed Alexstrasza and likely died at Elaine’s hands was indeed Sakura Tsukioka, it is also true that he has no decisive evidence that supports this.

“The confrontation, unfortunately…attracted the attention of a powerful entity of the Turnside, who killed them both. As to why I was spared…is a story I guess I will have to share at some point. Not now, though, and not here.”

He cannot fully explain why, but his own words leave a bad taste in his mouth. To trivialize Elaine’s and Ramalsaqr’s final moments like that…

…this must be, indeed, the true wickedness that can only be born of a soul as wrecked as John Dove’s.

“With no other plan, I attempted to continue the trip to the sheriff’s office on foot, but the whole town was swallowed by a fog that distorted my sense of direction. Despite having exact directions to the sheriff’s, I ended wandering the fog without getting anywhere, until…”

What can he say at this point? He still has yet to make sense of what happened at that point. However, there is at least a part of it he believes he must share. Therefore, he will have to choose his words carefully here.

“…I had…some sort of vision. It was very confusing, but it nonetheless concluded with a number of mysterious personages speaking scattered sentences; omens of sorts.”

"There is a key in Amber House.”

“The woman with the eyepatch laughs in the woods.
    “It's a drug that forces you to see the truth.”
    “Beware of the man who died.”
    “You can blame all of this suffering on the one without body."

He recites the sentences well committed to memory.

“The meaning of some of those sentences is clearer to me now, of course. In any case, after that, I happened to meet Mercedes West, but then a strange atmospheric phenomenon took place: the sky flared with all the colors of the rainbow; an utterly unnatural aurora.”

There is no need to describe the…violent nature of their encounter, or that he witnessed that psychedelic sky while resting on Mercedes West’s thighs.

“That phenomenon…bothered me on a personal level, so I decided to seek out its source. Miss West chose to accompany me against her better judgement. On the way to the likely point of origin of that strange manifestation, the Disembodied Man appeared before us. I exchanged a few words with it and then…well, that is where everything ended.”

With that, he regards Lucille Faraday.

“I am aware you have developed a rapport with Miss West. That she did not flee the town when she had the chance is unmistakably my failure. I have no excuse.”

Indeed, many things went wrong that day. However, most of it was objectively outside of his control or his ability to intervene. He could not stop the deaths of Sakura and Alexstrasza. He never could have saved Cesarina Feroce or the unknown girl in the school building. He never could have stopped Her from killing Elaine and Ramalsaqr. He never would have been able to reach the sheriff’s office, unable to figure out the nature of the fog or the means to dispel it. However, convincing Mercedes West to leave on her own and save her life was something he definitely could and should have done, and thus will remain a lifelong regret.

Mercedes West…and Colton Davin. Their deaths are on him. It is not precisely that their deaths weigh on him, or that he feels guilt or blame. They are, after all, colorless people.

It is the simple fact that those deaths could (and should) have been prevented, and that he had the power to do so, yet did not. Having made the choice of colorless life and the possibility of meaning over death and insignificance, he has to mind every single human life, even if he feels no personal attachment to them.

After a solemn inclination of the head towards Lucille Faraday, John glances at the other girl.

“I believe I have answered your questions, Elise Marie; hopefully to your satisfaction.”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

The silent clouds above bear witness to us below.

Three girls talking angrily in a high school field. Yep, this is definitely a good setup for one of Xeni's books. All we need now are some mysteries to solve and boys to crush on.

"Gawd. Afraid of, like, showing my good side? Girl, you're looking at my only side right now," Mercedes cut into the conversation, her tone harsh and her cold eyes now drilling a hole into Prushka. "You can, like, compare me to that little shit all you want, but we ain't similar - not by a long shot. She's a totes pathetic little turd who thinks she's the hot shit or whatevuh, but me...? I know exactly what I am. And I ain't changing that."
    I stare Mercedes West head on, a soft smile rising on its own. Not a mocking one, rather...

"'I know exactly who I am?' It's funny you'd say that... because when I talked to Xylia, she said pretty much the same thing. You two really are alike. Being honest about your faults upfront so that others know what to expect... covering up your good parts instead of your ugly ones so as not to disappoint anyone who gets close, so as to let people see the real you without pretending to be flawless... that's a very kind way to live. I really like those sorts of people."

"Like, in this life, we all got our roles to play. Mine's to be the bitch who grinds midgets like you under my heel and makes your high school days, like, a living hell. Yours is to be the tiny little ball of anger that, like, loathes how she looks and has a totes a complex about it - which is why you, like, push all the people around you away. But hey, I'm not sticking my nose into that or whatevuh, so don't knocking at my door either. You do you, live your teenage angst the best you can, and I'll be the bitchy thorn at your side that you can, like, never get rid of. Though when it comes to you, ditz... I think we, like, both know the role you play ain't the role you were meant to play. And that's what's causing all this shit. People who try to be what they ain't. It's what makes you miserable and, like, spreads that misery to us too. So cut that shit out."
    "You say you're not sticking your noise into anything, Mercedes West, and yet here you are, paying attention to people you've barely talked to, forcing them to confront things they're afraid of, trying to help them before they break down. Are you sure the role you're playing isn't 'tough love big sister'-?"

It stutters.

The flow of the conversation stops and skips, as something that should not be happens.

It's a barely perceptible hiccup in the escalating tension, and yet, because we're all laser-focused on each other, it's all the more noticeable for it.

As Mercedes stumbles and pauses, as the tension of the moment is interrupted, I spot something, just barely, out of the corner of my eye.

Something clicks in the back of my head. Sound disappears. Four senses are sacrificed for the sake of one. A momentary, singular focus normally only attainable through years of training.

My eyes whip towards the audience stands, towards the shadows underneath, made deeper by the dreary weather.

Within that darkness is...

"..."

I see.

So that's how it is, then.

"Ubon," I whisper, as I tug at the taller girl's sleeve and draw her gaze to my own. "This is the first time I've ever talked to Mercedes, but... we're both a bit prickly, so I can tell you this much for certain: she doesn't want to see you break down. In her own way, she's saying 'I want you to feel comfortable being yourself'. And... so do I. So don't hate her, okay? 'Cus she doesn't hate you."

I close my eyes, flash back to that awful night, those awful words, those awful tears... and open them once more, knowing what must be done.

"Y'know... last night was really painful for us both... and I couldn't sleep a wink... but I'm glad it happened. Because I got to see a new part of you, and you saw a new part of me. That means we've grown a little closer as friends, right?"

And with that, I leave.

I step away.

Towards my scooter, whose engine is already revving up on its own, waiting for me.

I step onto it.

It roars.

The dragon's roar sends my fury towards the heavens for all to hear. They who feel their heart shudder at the sound will know they have been judged.

"...excuse me."

My low voice is just loud enough to be heard by the other two, over the thrumming of the engine.

"Need to take care of something."

My left hand finds the handlebars and twists.

In an instant I am rocketing towards the audience stands atop the Pink Dragon, charging at speeds no human can outrun.

My right hand...

"You went too far this time, Hisa Momoi...!"

My right hand is clenched into a fist.

Higanbana

The person behind the audience stands laughed quietly. Whatever it had planned, it seemingly achieved its goal, and was now observing the reactions of the three girls in the middle of the field. It was obvious that only the annoying brat realized what was going on, and managed to pinpoint it immediately. The other two might have been smart and attentive, but they certainly nowhere near as perceptive as this apparent tracking dog.

Still, that was okay. It’s not like the being was completely against being seen.

As such, it did not even try to run away, or hide. Not that it would have stood much of a chance, and it certainly did not want to spend its morning being chased around the town by a midget on a laughable mean of transport.

Instead, it just decided to lie down on the grass, with its legs crossed, waving lazily with one of them.

Weren’t the clouds just beautiful?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

As expected, she is there.

The scooter rolls to a stop behind the stands, and there I see it. The same cloaked, masked figure from before, laying backwards, staring into the sky, softly laughing.

I step off the scooter and turn off the engine.

The doll, puppet, thing Hisa created notices me.

I walk towards it, glancing left and right to make sure no one is watching.

The doll waves playfully at me with its foot.

I arrive at its side and look down at its face that does not exist.

The mask, incapable of making an expressions, looks back up at me.

No, it's not looking at me. It's looking past me.

I look up as well.

"..."

Aren't the clouds just beautiful today?

My tightly-clenched right hand slams into that mask with all the meager strength it can muster.

A moment later, the bundle of Odic Force that I had been building up is released all at once as a mass of pure white light.

Wise Up
    Klein’s Circle
    Rank A
    Element: Alkahest

A purging fist.

Make a melee attack towards the opponent. If it hits, the target is forced into an INT Protection contest versus a Shatter Score of 17. Upon a failure, they are purged of all Emotion-based effects (including Desperation Turns) and effects that can be said to be founded in emotions. In addition, the target becomes immune to such effects for 5 Rounds, and cannot take offensive actions during that time unless they succeed in another INT Protection contest (one can be made by using an attack action.