Page 133 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3383123128131132133134135138143183233 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Elaine Winters
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 07.09.1994 (WED)
    Weather: Clear Skies

I flapped my hand at Travis's retreating form, "Aw, c'mon, I'm just teasing! I know you wouldn't take a bullet for me, I'd shove you out of the way to take it myself!"

I laughed, playing it off as a joke.

But it was an honest statement.

I'm not going to take time away from other people to spend it on myself, it's not worth it.

Then I turned my attention to Hwan, shrugging, "Sentimentality's a complicated thing, when you're working a job, that's a problem. It can come in handy when you don't expect it, though. Lot of people in the world are all about it, so its a good grease for the wheels. Easier to have a working relationship when your actual relationship is pretty good, no?"

I folded my arms, musing over the price. It was within my range, but only for a few days, if I was thinking long term, I'd have to be a lot more careful with my money. Plus who knows what else is for sale in this town.

"35, huh? S'about a quarter of what I got, but y'know..."

I looked back at Hwan Bin, evaluating him carefully.

"You seem like you're good for it, a professional, y'know?"

I smiled, not playing up or doing any affectation, just simply expressing appreciation.

"An' you seem like a pretty solid guy, so shit, I'll cough up."

As much as I like playing lone wolf, having someone to watch my back is...

It's nice, even if it's bought.

At least then it's built on something real, sentiment is nice, but only when it's reciprocal. Otherwise it'll blind you to what's around you, to what's going on.

Then you get hurt, people hurt you.

I don't trust easily anymore.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

---A truth revealed in crashing waves.

The mind's emptiness, the reorientation of thoughts, the effort to restore one's psyche to it's original state through purging those negative things that have invaded it like a toxin... It's a serene state that she knows well, one that is natural to retreat to upon coming into contact with an existence that seems almost completely antithetical to her own, and...

In that state, in that space, in those waves, she...

Finds a certain truth amidst her own reflection, a simple enough trick, so simple that it might not be a trick at all, indeed-

"..."

-her gaze shoots into the distance -as if led there- and narrows on an enigmatic figure, one that her more cheerful classmates have not noticed -cannot be noticed- due to simple positioning... It's a figure that she cannot truly discern from here, but there existence as someone that is watching, overlooking, others without allowing themselves to be seen is one that comes across as inherently suspicious, indeed...

---Who are you, enigmatic figure?

She had found some peace in the waves, in the mind, and in the world, but...

"Arigato."

...With that call out to no one but the sea, the crashing waves and restless reflections, the girl rises to her feet, a tranquil peace of her own making shattering as she regards the distant figure, then-

"...Guess I'm not destined for the party after all..."

-she starts off at a jog, keeping their location in mind even as she darts through the party, nodding to her fellow classmates as she goes, before...

...Continuing on into the distance.

---Thankfully, it's far away.

At this sort of distance, her movements shouldn't be too suspicious... As long as she's careful about it, especially when she gets close, deaden her presence when she gets right up close to them, well...

Maybe she can catch the observer in the act.

---That might be fun in it's own way.

Even if it's not...

---She had to make sure they weren't dangerous.

Especially in a town like this...

...She should be back in time for the concert either way.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cesarina
    "Oh, while we are at it - let me get your back for you, Zaza! It is hard to do it by yourself, right?"
    "That would be delightful," I replied to Cesarina, examining the goop in her hands with a bit of distaste. Stretching out my hand hesitantly, I take some of it, touching it to my skin. I feel nothing. It's cold on cold, the ice of my skin touching the liquid that I rubbed into it. I'm still pale, and a bit too empty in the end. I don't understand what makes me different from others. I don't understand what makes others different from me. These things, these feelings... are they even true? This is, of course, just an illusion of my own fantasy; even if it's so delightful and grand, it is, in the end an illusion. A fakery of reality. A repeating joke for God to sneer at gods and spirits to point at as a jest. Look at it - the monster wearing human skin, the creature that pretends with such sincerity. Is there even a point to it, other then for our amusement?

Ahhh, it's a bit of a cruel joke, life. But we must persevere; for though thou shalt not suffer a witch to live, one may be left alone if it's a bit too much trouble to deal with. The lackadaisical nature of the turnside is truly in my favor on that route; an easy way of being without really trying.

Many speak, and words fly. The rush of the sorcery in Prushka's abomination began to fade from me, my cheeks growing less flushed, my eyes growing less wide, as I listen. These people, are certainly... different, I suppose is a polite way to word it. What a naive way of thinking, really; that people are simply things that can be fixed. Prodded at, twisted, changed to fit the whims of others. I'm just...

Tired.

I'm so very, very tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura
    "... There you have it, Vivienne. We're all here for a reason, and nobody would be callous enough to reject you because of yours. So I'd say you have nothing to worry about in this group of friends."
    It's well said, but rooted in falsehood. Our purpose is a lie, designed by a man who has inexplicably invited so many here of the Turnside for a purpose he discloses merely as 'saving the youth'. An experiment on such a wide border, such a vast conspiracy to engineer a sense of purpose in the misbegotten and forlorn is... interesting, yes? After all, I must acknowledge that I am not human. Alas, that is not a salvageable thing for me; I am cursed with being born. I am cursed for the mere arrogance of existence. This sense of purpose and belonging that it instills in others... as kind as it is, it's not something I can really believe in.

After all, I am a wolf wearing the clothing of a sheep. And while other wolves roam these halls, everyone here pretends to be sheep. Not in the most outright sense, naturally; as I have so dishearteningly learned the shadows in the night do not lie. I died for my transgressions. While I stand here, alive today, is it truly me? Is this truly who I am? But nevertheless, we persevere.

We pretend to be sheep.

'It's okay, we're here for a reason,' we all say with a smile and kind words, for there are purposes beyond mere attendance.

'We care for you,' we lie with bright eyes, as knives in the dark slit throats for crimes that can't be understood.

'Let us suffer together,' we claim with such grand defiance at injustice, and yet slink into the dark when trouble arises. Even I have done this, with my own meager abilities, in attempting to let go. This is a betrayal of what I was, of monstrosity, for the simple act of pretending a little longer. And I am growing, far too fast, to love the pretense.

It is, alas, a fake.

As Prushka rushes away, I understand that there are two things in this world are true: Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. But a copy, is in the end, a copy.

These 'relationships' that I may form here are based on lies. They are based on a foundation forged of pure deceit, and no matter how deeply I may claim to care for others, I cannot hope to compare them to what I know. I am a mage. Scorched-Earth Silent Black Impaler. A title so lengthy and grand that its a bit of a joke to consider in my mind. For to have such a grand statement is to say something about what you are, and your 'existence'. My existence is a razed hell covered in darkness and blood. That's a bit sad and lonely, much to my despair.

"I must say, I am rather looking forward to this bonfire that we are speaking of," I said with a lazy smile as I lathered this shield against the sun's rays on my skin. "The idea of telling stories of dark things under the stars with flames licking at your feet... Isn't that the sort of scene that only comes around once in a lifetime? All this talk of 'waiting' and 'looking forward', it is the now we are in, yes? Let us... 'seize the day', as it is colloquially?"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

Is...that good? Or bad? I don’t remember Angelica being that selfish...She was plenty caring and gentle...I think?

Well, no, that’s not even the important thing here.

No, more importantly...why am I being compared to her regarding everything? We were close...maybe quite similar even, but...I’m not trying to replace her or act like her. But then...well, I guess it makes more sense in his mind.

Either way, wasn’t something I wanted to discuss, not for now at least.

So I just returned the smile, without saying anything else.

Then, just as suddenly, Pyry said another weird thing - something that would have been fine on its own. Knowing about Earth’s history and abiogenesis wouldn’t be that surprising...But why did it matter who told him that? Why did have such significance?

Still, before I had too much time to think about it, Pyry launched himself up into the sky-ocean.

He managed to propel himself surprisingly high even without putting too much power into it - which, in turn, just made me wonder how high exactly he could jump if he was giving it his all. But then...last sunday gave a good idea about that as well.

Groups of fish followed him as he soared high up, lazily spiralling up around the swirling vortex he left after himself.

Then, as gravity started taking over, he spread his arms as he slowly turned into a backflip, while the fish started swimming in front of him this time - trailing the path that he would fall down along.

Then, as he was about to reach the water, he curled up into a ball - and just as he splashed into it, the myriad of vibrant sea creatures bolted away in all directions, making it look almost like a big, colorful explosion.

“Well, not as graceful as the one I did…”I started teasingly as I smirked after the boy came back to the surface, “But I guess you get a pass. If just for the fishes.”

I looked around, noticing how Prushka was in the water now as well.

She was surely rather enthusiastic for some reason.

What was she up to, anyways?

“Hmm…” I said as my eyes trailed back to Pyry, “Want to do a few more? Then we could grab something to eat. Starting to get a bit hungry.”

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"Honestly, I'd like to meet the lady and give her what-for for messing up the dude that way."
    “Hmh. You can say that again, that’s for sure.” A dry smile crept on Anna’s face for a moment. “Not sure how helpful it would be in fixing things though.”

I suppose I already gave that woman my words on the matter, as useless as they ended up being…

Much like Ramia, Anna could hardly muster anything but dislike for Gabriela Bahkauv. Partially because of the mess she had made Gabi into and partially because of her own inherent dislike for folks who were up their own arses. It just made her feel like dragging her down a peg or two. The latter could be forgiven… or ignored at least, she had done it before, but the former, that was pretty much inexcusable.

"Still... Montjoy, eh? That's an interesting name to pop up first,"

"Any particular reason for that?"
    Anna rolled her eyes, even as she shifted herself a bit on their impromptu wooden seat and dug out the steel snuffbox from the pocket of her emblazoned jacket. Out of all the things for the dusky-skinned girl to latch onto… Despite her past, or because of it perhaps, the Libyan girl had seemingly a great propensity for this type of romantic gossiping. It was surprisingly… naďve, all things considered? Well, she wasn’t all that serious, but it made Anna wonder if it was a type of wish fulfillment for the middle-eastern girl.

Living vicariously through others, enjoying tales of a life she’d never had. Or will have, most likely, should this week play out identically to the last one.

“Nothing as dramatic as you hope, Indiana. Going to have to disappoint on the romantic gossip front, I’m afraid.”

Anna herself took up a rather lazy position on the log, facing the sun, even as she placed one of her trademark pine toothpicks in her mouth. Her hand waved lazily, almost as if waving away the topic Ramia had suddenly brought up.

“He’s an artist, so he should have more or less an okay eye for fashion, right? I mean, who else of the guys would you have Gabi shop for clothes with? Gagnon? Bin? Nubatama?”

“Even if I was confident in their taste for clothes, which incidentally I’m not, those guys would scare the wits out of him. Too loud, too brash, or too… weird.” Anna let out a lazy yawn in the sun, before giving Ramia a playful grin. “Though I can see why you’d be needling for some tales of romance. Can’t be easy getting a guy playing along with that high-flying treasure hunting lifestyle, am I right?”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen
    "Ruff ruff, that's totes poppycock! I think Vier's a total hottie, ruff! I'm a girl even and even I have a bone-r for you~! Ruff!"
    I turned away from Lucille and Caleb Montjoy to the source in surprise. It was Aleen holding up Tonkori as some sort of unwilling puppet. Whatever response I was expecting was not that at all or from that person. In fact, I was expecting Aleen to still be engaged in excessively petting and crooning Tonkori until one of them got tired. While I was expecting some of the guys liking me for some bizarre reason, I never expected Aleen to hold that opinion as well… It felt weird… But not exactly unpleasant either. It was distracting enough that I almost missed Tonkori’s displeasure and Caleb Montjoy’s tastes in comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Montjoy
    "Well, true. From a certain point of view. Aleen here certainly has charm that cannot be denied. Meanwhile, Lucille Faraday is truly a natural beauty - I believe I told her that much when we met at the bus."
    Eventually Caleb Montjoy recovered from Aleen’s puns and turned towards me. Without warning, he started sketching something. From my angle, I couldn’t see what he was sketching, but I had the sneaking suspicion that it was of me. I didn’t see a problem with this provided… He didn’t use it for less than wholesome means. While he was doing that, he started further complimenting Aleen and Lucille. As expected… Aleen was heavily affected by Caleb Montjoy’s casual praise however I was also surprised that Lucille was affected as well.

"But looks alone are not what matters. In fact... they don't matter much at all. What I find beautiful is how people live. Their inner strength. That, more than any physical attribute, shines from a person. Especially here. Each and every person gathered here makes no excuses of who they are. That's why we are all here. They live how they want. They do not bow down to society. And that sort of force of will is beautiful. Indeed, I think that each and every person in our class is beautiful because of that."
    He locked eyes with me before continuing.

“Even you. Your scars are just part of who you are. What's wrong with that? And, well... Inacio, at least, called you beautiful. So you might be selling yourself short.”
    If it wasn’t for the previous week, I would’ve been surprised. The only surprise this time around was when did Inacio start liking me. I was under the impression that he only started liking me after I impressed him with my playing “today” and that I messed that up this morning. With Caleb Montjoy’s confession, it confused me a little to say the least.

“It’s not as if I like having a scar and I’m sure Inacio just enjoys playing with me…”

I kept my disagreement on his view that everyone here was beautiful. If my willingness to kill and commit atrocities just because of orders was beautiful, then I would rather be considered ugly. Also I’m disinclined to say that Xylia Pheme was beautiful unless I was looking at from a twisted sense of always being genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “If you don’t mind me asking, Caleb… If everyone here is beautiful, is normal life rather drab? Or did you simply need a change in scenery?”
    “Isn’t that a matter of perspective Lucille? Depending on where you’re from in the world and how you’re raised, your definition of normal life changes. A person raised in an agricultural area and the city of the same country have different standards. I got the impression that Caleb would find someone who doesn't change themselves to fit their surroundings to be beautiful.”

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier, John Dove & Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "Oh, uh, thanks, Ubon! I can give it a try! Yeah! Let's do it! John's got a good point, Ubon. Let's put a little bit of distance between us Subaru just to be safe. Keep her steady, John!"
    Ubon looked like she was practically ready to explode from excitement when the two girls took some distance to the rest of the group. She waded through the water, constantly hurrying the brunette along until the two of them had finally gotten into safe enough distance from the others. Then, bouncing a little on her heels (how she did it so easily while waist-deep in water was anyone's guess), Ubon lifted her leg and spread her arms towards Elise, signaling she was ready to be thrown.

"Alright! Lesgo, lesgo, lesgo!" the cyanhead exuberantly hurried. "Throw me as hard and far as you can, Essie - for realsies! I wanna feel how's it like to fly!"

Meanwhile, as this showcase of cheerful, youthful energy was going on, a whole another show was taking place near them. That is, Subaru Iburi found herself bullied by John Dove, and with water being splashed on her face - again and again. While it might have been careful kind of bullying, avoiding her eyes and also making sure she didn't send herself tumbling into the water in retaliation... it was also somewhat akin to hitting someone in the stomach so that the bruises wouldn't show on their face.

Subaru tried to interject - tried to retort in the face of John's relentless questions.

However, every time she did, she got yet more water splashed on her face.

Again.

And again.

Over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “What is it going to be, Miss Iburi?”
    Up until to the point that, after John's final teasing line of question, the boy noticed that it was no longer his actions that made droplets of water fall down her face... but there was another source too - namely, Subaru's eyes. Of course, the fact that tiny tears had now appeared was, in a way, also the boy's fault, but that was neither here or there.

The most important thing was now that Subaru's lower lip was quivering, and she was holding back tears the best she could.

"I-I-I will not... I will not *hic* give in...! T-the Child of Gods does n-n-not *hic* give in the face of evil...!" Subaru bravely tried to reply, only to have her words interrupted by her own sniffling. "D-damn it all, w-were I only able to s-swim, this would not... *hic*... this would not stand...!"

Her eyes turned towards John, and for a moment, it was unclear whether she was about to lunge at the boy or bawl her eyes out.

"M-mark my *hic* words, John Dove, o-once I am freed of this infernal tube, I shall---"

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "UBOMBS-AWAY!"
    In that moment, two things happened - both of which swallowed up whatever Subaru was about to say.

The first thing was that a bright pink something accelerated towards the water's edge at an incredible speed, only to launch its small payload straight towards the goup in the water. A payload that let out a familiar sort of warning shout, one that perked even certain cyanhead's ears. A payload that was a tiny blonde girl curled up in a ball who, accompanied by her yell, crashed into the ocean with a magnificent speed - a bit too much speed, in fact.

After all, instead of simply cannonballing into the water, Prushka actually skipped on the surface few times like she had been perfectly shaped rock.

And then second thing was direct result of the first.

Namely, Prushka's unexpected bounce thanks to the perfect speed she had acquired.

Bounce that sent her careening far futher than he had intended, and slamming straight into a certain young janitor who had been in the way, knocking him down into the water. And while Prushka certainly skipped one more time before hitting the ocean with a big (for her) splash, Jake... wasn't as lucky. A loud "GEBUH!" resonated upon impact, and the silver-haired young man slammed straight into the ocean-bottom, disappearing from sight.

Even Ubon cringed a slightly at that sight.

----- It was about 15 seconds later that the woozy-looking Jake emerged back to the surface.

"Did... did any of you dudes get the license plate of that midget...?" Jake asked, his eyes swirling in his head as he staggered around, trying to keep standing.

Vier Wolff & Lucille Faraday

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “It’s not as if I like having a scar and I’m sure Inacio just enjoys playing with me…”
    "But that scar hardly makes people here think less of you."

Caleb's answer was simple enough, as if he found it ridiculous that some might considering something like a physical scarring or physical appearance in general something to be paid too much attention to. Of course, many people did - especially in the outside world. Out here, at Pinefall, not many had given anyone hard time thanks to their appearance. Maybe it was just that each student had their own problems, so bringing such likes or dislikes was just stirring the pot too much.

But, even so, it was clear that Caleb cared even less about it than others. Almost like he judged people on whole other basis than their appearance.

"As for Inacio... Really? Well, that may be part of it," Caleb then continued. "I think you impressed him. You would ask him for clarification."

While he had been talking to the brunette girl, Caleb had momentarily taken his eyes off of Lucille... but now that the blonde haired girl suddenly got much closer, the boy seemed to turn a little awkward. Awkward as in, his movements got very stuff, and he didn't seem to know whether to lean away from Lucille, or stay where he was and bear this sudden change. Though, while awkward, it was clear that Caleb didn't exactly dislike this surprising development - he just didn't know exactly how to react to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “If you don’t mind me asking, Caleb… If everyone here is beautiful, is normal life rather drab? Or did you simply need a change in scenery?”
    Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Isn’t that a matter of perspective Lucille? Depending on where you’re from in the world and how you’re raised, your definition of normal life changes. A person raised in an agricultural area and the city of the same country have different standards. I got the impression that Caleb would find someone who doesn't change themselves to fit their surroundings to be beautiful.”
    Caleb, hearing this question and Vier's subsequent comment, rubbed his chin a bit, deep in thought.

"... People out there tend to hold back. They might be fine where they are. They might be not. But they hold back who they really are. Like putting on masks to fit in - just so they don't get in trouble," Caleb finally answered. "As for myself, well. I guess I did need a change of scenery."

Some sort of shadow passed by the boy's face.

"I've been on the move a lot. A whole lot. Never stayed in one place too long," he said, before letting his eyes look over the beach, while a smile rose back to his lips. "So... this is rather nice."

Meanwhile, Tonkori kept poking Aleen with her paw - as if trying to ascertain whether the bluehead was still alive or not.

Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Well, not as graceful as the one I did… But I guess you get a pass. If just for the fishes.”
    Pyry snorted and rolled his eyes.

"Hey, unlike you, shortstuff, I gotta watch out when I land," he shot back, grin on his face. "I can't go pulling my best moves because if I did, I'd end up jutting out of the ocean floor like a flagpole. I mean, I could take it... but it doesn't exactly feel fun! Trust me, been there - done that."

The way the boy shot almost a vengeful look towars the sandy bottom of the shallows told that there was quite possibly an... interesting story behind that weird comment. However, that was perhaps best left alone for now. After all, while it might have been interesting to hear how the boy had ended up in a situation like that, it also didn't seem exactly a happy story.

Most likely, it was extremely embarrassing.

"Anyways, what do you say we---"

Pyry's words were cut off as, in the distance, a missile shaped like a small girl crashed into the ocean, taking out one janitor with her.

The boy regarded this all with a flat expression of "What the heck".

It really was the only way to really regard it - the absurdity of the beach seemed to have no end, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Hmm… Want to do a few more? Then we could grab something to eat. Starting to get a bit hungry.”
    A smile rose back to the boy's face, and he nodded... though at the same time, that slightly teasing glint returned as well.

"Sure! Though, only if you're willing to try out the fastball special too," Pyry said, now grinning widely. "Don't worry, I won't throw you so far it'll hurt. Besides! You're small and aerodynamic - I'm sure you'll get some amazing airtime with a proper throw."

The blonde boy chuckled to himself, flexing his muscles a bit as if to make a point.

"I mean, how many times do you get to fly at the beach, huh?"

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin, Alexstrasza Lockhart & Vivienne Bianchi

With Prushka's explosve leave of the group, the rest of those who had had gathered around the picnic tables were left to their own devices, the atmosphere around the group being a sort of gentle, warm feeling that had risen from all of them banding together to reassure Vivienne, who had opened up to them somewhat unexpectedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “I even had a bad episode this morning, I think I might have cried. Did I cry? I think I cried. I guess it was so bad that Miss Faraday over there had to console me. I instantly regret admitting this, by the way, but there is a point. The point being that when those problems are too much for you to handle, there’s no shame in confiding with someone else.”
    "Mm, you might have cried a little~" Sakura said somewhat teasingly, though there was genuine warmth there - enough to make it clear she wasn't actually making fun of the boy. "But you're right, Colt. Confiding in others, sharing your troubles with others, talking to others when you yourself aren't sure what to do, or if you're having a tough time..."

Sakura's gaze went around the table, from Colt to Vivienne, from Vivienne to Alex, from Alex to Cesarina and from Cesarina to Alexstrasza.

"... There's nothing shameful in that, nor is it any sign of weakness. If anything, being willing to admit that you can't handle something along is something that requires true, genuine strength."

From the looks of it, even when tipsy, Sakura was capable of dispensing some sage advice.
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne
    Thank you... very much..."
    Seeing the picture, Sakura couldn't help but to giggle. Alex, on the other hand, simply gave a reassuring nod towards Vivienne.

"You have nothing to thank us for, Mademoiselle," the reporter said. "Human decency and kindness shouldn't be so rare in the first place, after all."

Meanwhile, Cesarina had began her work on Alexstrasza's back, lathering the sunscreen all over it and making sure each bit of pale skin was properly protected against the sun's tyranny. As she did, the Italian heiress hummed a merry little tune, apparently rather glad that she got to "bond" with someone in this way - clearly showing that even though it had been just a few days, there had grown a faint sense of camaraderie between herself and the blonde girl.

Though at the same time... she was pretty clumsy at it. Almost like she had never helped someone put on sunscreen before.

Which made her enthusiastic way of going at it slightly embarrassing, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "I must say, I am rather looking forward to this bonfire that we are speaking of. The idea of telling stories of dark things under the stars with flames licking at your feet... Isn't that the sort of scene that only comes around once in a lifetime? All this talk of 'waiting' and 'looking forward', it is the now we are in, yes? Let us... 'seize the day', as it is colloquially?"
    Sakura cocked an eyebrow at that.

"Oh~? I like the sound of that!" she replied. "How about we finish eating here and then go take a dip in the ocean, too? Like 'Zaza' here said, let's seize the day properly!"

Cesarina's eyes practically sparkled at that suggestion.

"Ooh, that sounds great!" She exclaimed. "What do you say, Zaza? Should we go swimming? I also have an inflatable beach ball with me if you want to play a game!"

Alex, on the other hand, glanced towards the ocean... and a difficult expression rose to her face.

"I think I shall... refrain," the reported said. "I do not feel exactly comfortable heading there."

Elaine Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "35, huh? S'about a quarter of what I got, but y'know... You seem like you're good for it, a professional, y'know? An' you seem like a pretty solid guy, so shit, I'll cough up."
    Hwan cocked his eyebrow at the response, but after a few seconds of silence more, he finally nodded.

"A'ight. Then it's a deal. You pony up, and after that, I'll stick to you like a stalker for a whole day. And when you need my skills, for whatever reason, I'm at your beck and call," the boy said, before flashing a rough grin. "In other words, I'll help you out with whatever snooping you're doing, no matter where you wanna go. Plus it's a safety net for you as well. As long as I'm working for you, I won't consider offers from others. Call it my little 'won't-stab-you-in-the-back-guarantee', if you will."

It was a rather blunt way to say it, but at the very least he did seem to indicate that as long as he was paid, he wouldn't be swayed by other offers, thus leaving Elaine herself hanging. In other words, blunt yet professional. And that's what the boy seemed to be, despite his vulgar words and attitude of a delinquent. Of course it wasn't unheard of to find a bad boy with morals, yet at the same time, this felt a bit different...

... Almost like an actual business transaction.

"Though remember that I won't do jack before I'm paid," Hwan continued with a lopsided grin. "And since your outfit ain't leaving much room hide a wallet in, I'm betting you don't have it with you. Just something to keep in mind."

At that moment, a slight clearing of throat caught the attention of both. From the look of it, Souma had finished up the two plates that Elaine had ordered, and was now waiting for the blonde girl to take them. At the same time, he raised his eyebrow a little bit, clearly waiting for something. Waiting for something with an intent stare of that single eye, aimed straight at Elaine herself.

The awkward silence grew longer.

--- Oh, right.

She was supposed to order something herself, wasn't she?

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “Nothing as dramatic as you hope, Indiana. Going to have to disappoint on the romantic gossip front, I’m afraid.”
    Ramia let out a disappointed sigh.

"Aww, that's a shame. And here I thought something was going on, since he's the first guy other than Gabi you've mentioned without disdain in that tone," the dusky-skinned girl said, clicking her tongue. "I mean, that's sorta shame. You got the looks to turn heads and everything..."

“He’s an artist, so he should have more or less an okay eye for fashion, right? I mean, who else of the guys would you have Gabi shop for clothes with? Gagnon? Bin? Nubatama? Even if I was confident in their taste for clothes, which incidentally I’m not, those guys would scare the wits out of him. Too loud, too brash, or too… weird."
    Again, Ramia sighed, though this time it was accompanied by a nod. From the looks of it, even the warm sands that acted like the best of beds right now weren't enough to lull her back to that lazy blissfulness completely.

"You know, you got that right," the mercenary answered. "Most of the guys in our class are pretty Grade A weirdos. And most of the girls too. Heck, I think everyone out here is a weird of some kind. Err... no offence, Gabi."

The androgynous boy, who had barely finished his corn, turned to look at the two and tilted his head quizzically, as if not completely understanding what was being talked about.

“Though I can see why you’d be needling for some tales of romance. Can’t be easy getting a guy playing along with that high-flying treasure hunting lifestyle, am I right?”
    A somewhat dry bark of a laugh escape from Ramia's lips.

"Eh, it's not that. I mean, there were lots of similar guys back in my PMC, but, you know..." The girl made a difficult, slightly bitter expression. "... What guys like those want are big assets, homely skills and pretty faces. Ain't exactly fitting those categories... though that sorta expands to all guys out there, no?"

Again, Gabi tilted his head, but this time to the other side.

"..... what do you... mean...?" the boy asked quietly. "... all the guys...?"

Ramia scoffed and lifted herself back up to a sitting position, making a little "what can you do?" shrug.

"Well, just look at me. I ain't nothing but abs and toned muscle, and my skin's pretty coarse thanks to all that crawling in the mud and sand. Plus I hardly got manners, I can barely cook a MRE, and my idea of a dessert is a three months old Calorie Mate. Heck, I wear same pants for weeks and can only really wash my clothes by hand, in the river. It's not like I got any looks or homely skills or all that thing," she explained, looking slightly amused. "In other words, ain't no guy in the world who's gonna find me attractive. But it's fun to watch others find happiness like that, and then tease them about it."

The dusky-skinned girl laughed again, her husky tone resonated in the ears of Anna and Gabi.

"Simple as that."

Gabi, who had been listening to all of this, gave Anna a flat look. A flat look that was both a bit surprised, but also looked like the boy couldn't quite believe what he was hearing.

"............."

Liana Skye

The sounds of the ocean, and the beach, and the cheerful students were far away.

Up here, near the top of the cliff, the only sounds were wind and the waves.

The wind was much chillier than it was down there, in the sunlight, to the point that the weather didn't feel nearly as warm here than it did there. And the waves sounded much harsher in the way they hit against the rocks, crashing against solid wall instead of slowly embracing the soft sands. Indeed, it was like a wholly separate world from what was going on down at the party. Up here, near the looming lighthouse, things felt much more... serious.

Perhaps even a bit dangerous.

The dirt path that rose up the cliffside, heading towards the abandoned building in a snaking pattern, offered ample cover in forms of bushes and few half-dead small trees. Slipping from one shadow to another, muffling her footfalls and keeping her profile low as she advanced came easily to Liana - after all, it was like this cliffside was made so that things could hide around here. Perhaps that was why the silhouette had also chosen it as its point of observation.

And speaking of which...

... There it was.

Ahead.

Right at the foot of the lighthouse, gazing down at the students while a cigarette burned on its lips.

A humanoid shape.

A tall one at that.

From the position that Liana was in, she could see the shape of the tall humanoid - a man of indeterminable age, dressed in dark clothing. The man was smoking quitely, keeping a close eye on what was happening far down below, while also making sure that nobody saw him. The man's eyes... they were sharp - extremely sharp. Even from this far away, it was quite likely that he was still making out everything in quite the good detail. And then there was the simple aura that the man had... an aura of mystery.

Just one look at him told Liana that the man himself was a pure enigma - plain and simple.

However, another thought appeared in Liana's head at that moment.

Those sharp eyes, and clear alertness to his surroundings and what was happening.

Could it be possible that this man, even after all her precautions, could still---

"Well, I'm not surprised. It figures one of you would spot me," the man suddenly spoke loud, his deep voice sounding strong and confident. "Really, the bushes won't do you much good."

He chuckled quietly to himself, took a drag off his cigarette...

... and turned his eyes to the direction of Liana.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    John Dove
    Date: 07.09.1994

“UBOMBS-AWAY!”
    It’s hovering—no, skipping.

That amazingly compact, and just plain amazing device is skipping on the water. John Dove, who is naturally drawn to “unique” things, admires the unreasonable, absurd feat The One Known Only as Prushka performs for all to see. Also, Miss Iburi appears to be in the verge of tears, but everybody knows better than to expect John Dove to be moved by something of that level.

Thus, yes, Miss Prushka’s stunt is amazing, indeed…but, isn’t it a little too dangerous as well—

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Briggs
    “GEBUH!”
    Well there you go. Of course, by this point John is not bothering with flinging water at Miss Iburi anymore.

“And thus the mighty have fallen,” he speaks solemnly. “After all, not even the king of dinosaurs could do a thing against the meteor.”

His eyes scan the beachfront for a moment, idly registering Travis Gagnon distancing himself from the others and the absence of Liana Skye before turning his attention to Subaru Iburi.

“It seems Miss Prushka got ahead of us, so that is the end of that. Which leaves the matter of the two of us, Miss Iburi.” He shrugs. “Water wars are not supposed to be one-sided, after all. Therefore, I welcome your retaliation. Just…please do not try anything as absurd as Miss Prushka’s stunt just now.”

His mind quickly recalls what the Japanese girl was saying right before Miss Prushka’s interruption.

“Also, for your personal safety, I cannot allow you to separate from this tube. On this, I must insist. Aside from it, feel yourself free to ‘get back’ at me however you wish.”

He pauses, pondering if this should really be their immediate concern.

“Although perhaps after we check on Miss Prushka. Let’s go.”

And that is exactly what he does, pulling Miss Iburi by her tube along with him.

Mister Briggs? He is a big guy; he can take care of himself.

“Miss Iburi,” John speaks quietly as he slowly, leisurely wades his way towards Miss Prushka’s location. “I am in no position to tell anybody how to live their lives, but, well, we are not in Hokkaido. The burdens of your position and your lineage do not exist here.”

It was perhaps her sudden self-reference as the ‘child of gods’ that triggered this response from John Dove. Or perhaps this was planned from the beginning, as part of his haphazard intent to “understand” the others so as to avoid the tragedies of Sunday.

“You might make mistakes, things for which others may feel suspicion, or outright dislike you or reject you. However, nobody here would thing less of you for being true to yourself and your honest desires. Nobody here has that right.”

There is a snort in his mind—the inner him, mocking him for the hypocrisy of saying such a thing to one of the colorless people. This time, however, John can dismiss that treacherous voice rather easily, and it is precisely thanks to Subaru Iburi.

Quote Originally Posted by A "different" Subaru Iburi

“…even if you cannot see it, it does not mean that it is not there.”

John Dove chooses to believe—that Subaru Iburi indeed has a true color, and therefore saying those words to her has value, even if his heart cannot feel it and his mind rejects it. Because he wants to believe; that what he saw in Alextrasza Lockhart was real; that what he saw, if only for a moment, in Elaine Winters, was real. That he, John Dove, now that he is truly empty and devoid of purpose and value, can fill himself with something of worth.

Is it not only natural, that John Dove would hope for a beautiful color for himself?

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

It rises.

From the depths, it reaches out, seeking revenge on the awful humans that pollute the oceans with tears.

Behind the pale-haired man, the water churns and bubbles, ballooning outwards as it struggles to contain the wrath of the sea.

In an instant, that battle is lost. For this avenger cannot be stopped.

She rises.

She rises.

She rises.

An arm unfolds, and... along with a murderous killing intent, the man feels his sins running down his back, the water gun a mere toy now in his trembling hands.

Poke.

The finger that pokes the small of his back may as well be the finger of death.

For once she has set a human in her sights, she will neither forget nor forgive.

"...Jake Briggs. For your crimes against
    Subaru
    humanity
    , you have been sentenced."

The proclamation is a promise of doom and despair, with death assured to arrive shortly.

"...well, your sentence has already been carried out, so I shall leave it at that. Sorry for bumping into you."

With that, she moves. The creature floats serenely through the water, cutting through the waves without leaving a sound, slinking around the man like a water serpent as if she has always been part of the water.

Placing herself in front of Subaru Iburi
    (who she shoots a quick thumbs up and a cheeky grin that doesn't fit the tone of this bit at all), the avenger then turns to face the rest of the awful humans gathered before her.

Namely...

"John Dove."

The finger of destruction points once more...

"Cloaking your aggression in life lessons... how transparent a ploy. Subaru can befriend the ocean at her own pace."

He, too, has been found wanting.

"Now. Are you prepared for your reckoning?"
    Last edited by Bloble; May 9th, 2020 at 01:01 PM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

"...Hah, damn, busted..."

From the bushes, Liana Skye can't help but laugh to herself as she is caught more or less instantly, defeating her ploy of simply observing the figure from a distance to see if they were hostile or not, and instead forcing her out into the open...

Indeed.

She leaves her hiding place almost immediately, hands held up slightly so he could see her palms, long hair -still released from it's usual restraints- blowing along in the wind as she cheerfully regards the enigmatic figure in the way that is her norm, sense of calm remarkable even in this area that lacks the emotional warmth and security of the beach down below...

"Can't say I ever specialized in skulking around in the shadows and bushes, but it's still a little disappointing to get caught right off the bat-!"

Indeed...

In some ways, she seems to feel at home in this sort of situation as well...

"Ah well, what can you do, right? Nice ears, Stranger."

Enough that she doesn't seem to see anything wrong with speaking to the man casually, going so far as to give him a compliment... As if he hadn't just caught her sneaking around behind his back...

A feat that wasn't exactly simple mind you...

"So, having fun just watching the party? If you're hungry we have plenty of food down there to share, no need to hide off on cliff-sides by yourself."

Yeah...

Cheerful as always...

"Makes you look sort of suspicious, unfortunately~"

She pauses, eyes taking in the scenery around the man, then:

"...Or you could just be shy, I suppose? I'm not trying to rule anything out here just yet-!"

Finishes things with a laugh, although her eyes, bright as they are...

Never leave the man's form.
    Last edited by Airen; May 9th, 2020 at 12:46 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"In other words, ain't no guy in the world who's gonna find me attractive. But it's fun to watch others find happiness like that, and then tease them about it."
    Anna paused for a moment, looking at the dusky-skinned girl with incredulous eyes, almost as if she wasn’t quite believing what she was hearing.

Indiana…” Anna pulled out the toothpick from her mouth, even as her gobsmacked eyes gave the Libyan mercenary a full look-over. “…you an idiot, or what?”

“I would have expected a more objective assessment from you, to be honest, but I suppose we all have our blind spots. Feels like I can drive a truck through this one, though.”

What the hell is wrong with this damn party. Last time I needed to lecture Highlander for being as dense as a block of concrete and now this?

Well, it wasn’t too much of a surprise. She had to be in this loony bin with the rest of them for a reason, after all. She didn’t expect it to be because of something like this, however. Ramia was a child soldier, so maybe her lack of self-esteem stemmed from that? Breaking down the self-worth of recruits was a fundamental aspect of any drill training, and children, by the virtue of being bloody children, were obviously not meant to cope with that level of stress and dehumanization…

“I can’t really believe I have to do something like this.” Anna let out a deep sigh. “Right. To begin with, what is with that ridiculous list of “talents” that you parroted, Indiana? It’s not the 19th century anymore and you’re not a blushing peasant girl working on a farm in Eastern Europe. No-one in their right mind gets together with someone purely because of how good their blasted meatloaf is, or how clean their ironing technique is.”

“You think most girls here are some sort of homely busybodies? Hell, most here can’t probably cook to save their own lives, outside of making a cucumber sandwich.”

“As for looks…” Anna rolled her eyes dismissively. “You’re fine. By any reasonable measure, you are plenty attractive. Definitely good-looking enough to pull in guys if you wanted to. If everyone needed to look like a supermodel to find someone, mankind would have died out long ago. And in the end, unless your only aim is to get laid, that type of stuff is only half the equation anyway.”

“Besides, you’re what? 16? I swear, get to your thirties before starting with this whole “no guy will ever like me” nonsense.” By this point, Anna had already popped the toothpick back into her mouth and was lazily running her hand through her raven bangs, though there was a definite undercurrent of irritation in her gesture. “And if you are truly so worked up about your dry skin, another fact which incidentally most people really don’t care about, get some bloody moisturizer or something.”

“Hmph…”

Anna let out an irritated snort before her voice trailed to a mutter.

“Dry skin my ass. No guy still in possession of his marbles is going to go “Oh, I found a great looking gal with a smashing personality, but I dumped her because her skin was a bit coarse.”
    Last edited by Mellon; May 9th, 2020 at 01:25 PM.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    John Dove
    Date: 07.09.1994

She rises. It does not take long, because there is not much to rise in the first place. Rather than an avenger, a force of nature—or something more like the gentle poke of nature. Nevertheless, the truth is that, when she sets her eyes on him, John Dove indeed sees retribution.

A healthier John Dove might have found amusement in it. A shame, really.

“So you do know my name, Miss Prushka. I am honored,” he salutes politely and generously. “As for Miss Iburi, I believe that, if she wishes to join the games, she should just do so. The sea is no place for pretensions.”

He presents his open hands to the blonde girl in a vague, nonthreatening gesture.

“In any case, as I said to Miss Iburi just now, a water fight is not supposed to be a unilateral thing. If you wish to team up to bring upon my downfall, I welcome it wholeheartedly. However…”

“…you certainly do not mind if I struggle to the bitter end, do you?”

Elise Pelltier

Ubon and Elise had reached a safe distance away from Subaru. She was already excited at the idea of throwing Ubon into the air this time, but found that Ubon's own exuberance at the prospect just made her feel more excited about it as they swam away from the others in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon
    "Alright! Lesgo, lesgo, lesgo! Throw me as hard and far as you can, Essie - for realsies! I wanna feel how's it like to fly!"
    "You got it, Ubon!" exclaimed Elise.

This is not what all my Inquisitorial training was intended for, but no one can say that I'm not about to make good use of it!

Ubon assumed a flight position and Elise prepared to launch her into the air when disaster struck suddenly and with little warning.
    "UBOMBS-AWAY!"
    Elise's ears twitched at hearing a familiar sounding battle cry, but Ubon was standing safely beside her. She hadn't had the chance to actually throw her into the air yet. She turned her head towards its source just in time to catch Prushka skip along the water and slam into Jake. Elise watched the scene in horror. She'd only turned her back for a moment, and already Subaru was crying, Jake may or may not be dead, and Prushka was rising out of the sea like a vengeful sea god to punish John and Jake for their transgressions.

She looked sadly at Ubon, who looked about as torn as she was at the terrible maritime disaster unfolding before them.

"Let-let's get Jake to shore so he can recover. He's looking a little too woozy to be in the water. You grab one arm, I'll grab the other, and we'll tow him back?" suggested Elise as she started swimming back towards the others.

"Then- then we'll head back out here and then I'll finally throw you in the air. Or we can reap terrible vengeance on John Dove on the way, but I think Prushka's got that covered."

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“Hey, I’m not short!”

Splashing some water into Pyry’s face, I take revenge for these baseless claims.

“It’s just you who is way too tall,” I continue with a smirk, “I’m pretty average. Well, maybe just a bit below it!”

The difference in height wasn’t even that outrageous. It was nothing compared to someone like Prushka and him.

Even I can call Prushka a midget, after all.

“Still...you certainly seem to be pretty excited about getting to throw girls around.”

I paddled closer as I looked up into the boy’s eyes - I wanted to tease him about it, to make him embarrassed, but it pretty much backfired before I could even say something.

I averted my gaze as I could feel my face blushing slightly - and just let the topic rest instead.

“A-anyways...what’s this ‘fastball special’ then?”

Pyry grinned, lifted his right arm and flexed it, slapping his bicep with his left hand.

"It's where I lift you up wholesale, you curl up a bit so you'll get the most aerodynamic shape possible and then..." Pyry stayed silent for a moment, just to build up dramatic effect... before miming like he was throwing a baseball. "... Then I'll throw you as hard and fast a I can, so you can feel like you're flying over the waves before diving back into them!"

Putting his hands on his hips, the boy continued to grin while looking rather satisfied with his idea... or rather, a little bit smug in that he had come up with something like that. Indeed, for some reason the idea of giving others "flying lessons" like this seemed to make him rather proud.

"Besides, it's not that it's just something I can do for girls," Pyry added, folding his arms across his chest. "It's just that you are often way lighter and smaller than guys. Heck, even you weighted like practically nothing! I bet I could lob you real far!"

Then, after a moment, he added somewhat awkwardly:

"T-though, better be careful. Don't want you to get hurt."

“P-practically nothing…” I uttered as I could feel my face blushing again, “You’re just too damn strong, that’s all. You could throw a small boulder and say that it was practically nothing.”

Of course, I didn’t even have the face to mention the other thing, and that he was misunderstanding what I was implying.

“B-but well, don’t worry too much about it. If things seem to get painful, I can probably do something about it.”

I considered my words for a moment;

“Not saying you shouldn’t be careful. Just no need to worry.”

I paddled closer again, so that Pyry could easily grab me.

“I...guess I’m ready?”

The grin widened even more.

"Alright. Hold on, then!"Without waiting any longer, Pyry decided to forego any semblance of personal space as he grabbed Hisa gently by the waist, and lifted her up from the water - just as easily like he had said. His muscles tensed up even more as he hoisted her even higher, so high as his arms could lift her, almost like he was trying to put her standing on his shoulders.

Only he wasn't.

Instead, he turned her around so that her face was facing the same direction as his, curled up his right arm like a cradle and set Hisa on it.

"There we go! Get ready now and ball up!"

With Hisa half-standing, half-squatting on Pyry's upraised arm, the boy used his left hand to stabilize her posture, while his right hand set itself against her lower back, being the source of the throwing force that was about to come. It was like the blonde boy was about to throw her like an discus-thrower from Ancient Greece - only she was supposed to fly straight forward, instead of a spinning arc. Just like the aforementioned form of sports, Pyry leaned backwards, arched his back, let go with his left hand and directed it forwards to balance himself.

And then...

"Try to stick the landing like you were diving from a diving board," Pyry said, before winking at Hisa. "And try not to flail. That's just asking to get hurt."

His whole body tense up.

"Three..."

His muscles were like coiled springs.

"Two..."

He killed his breathing.

"One..."

And then---

"GO!"

--- The boy and the ocean were left behind, as Hisa was thrown forward like a javelin, wind rushing around her ears.

Like she had turned into a diving falcon, streaking through the skies.

I was starting to get excited - but also to have second thoughts.

Was this really safe?

Did he come up with this on his own?

It felt weird to be crouching on his hand like this.

Not sure how prepared I was for this - but before I had a chance to change my mind, the countdown ended, and---

I was flying, again, faster, and further than last time.

The thrill and the adrenaline made me scream in excitement, if just for a moment, before I realized that my momentum was going to stop very soon and I still have a landing to get right.

Still - relatively - curled up, I made a few flips in the air, but as I was flying in a wholly different angle this time, it actually proved to be somewhat more difficult.

So instead, I just focused on straightening my body out, and prepare for the landing - which came faster than expected, as I splashed into the water, diving pretty deep. Curling up again under the water, I took a few moments to just calm down - to enjoy the sudden quiet and peace again after this thrilling experience.

Kicking myself back to the surface, I waved to Pyry with a wide grin on my face, then started swimming back towards him - something that took a bit just because of how far he threw me.

“That was...amazing,” I said with the excitement still ringing in my voice once I reached him, “I’d still stay that I prefer more...peaceful things, but it was...quite exciting.”

If only things could stay like this forever. If only there weren't so many dreadful things to come in the following days...

Will we be able to avoid it?

Will it happen again?

Is he going to remember me? Can I make him remember me?

Or will it just start all over again...

Shaking my head, I try to get these thoughts out of my head. It was not the time for things like this.

"Let's do it again." I said, splashing some water into the boy's face with a laugh.
    Last edited by Cheetose; May 9th, 2020 at 04:19 PM.

Elaine Winters

Hm? Why ya starin' at me like that, cookie? Are you falling for me, finally giving way before my blunt animal magnetism, letting down that threatening serpent-like exterior to reveal the mushy-gushy princely inside.

About to sweep me off my feet and carry me off into a magical land of meat and oiled pretty boys with six-packs attending to my every need?

No, that'd be silly. Things like that don't exist.

It is one of the great tragedies of our modern era, the flow of information being so steady and consistent throughout the world, that if you were to make an intentional effort to make your 'ideal realm', you'd have to do some seriously messed up things to get it done. Like North Korea, or some of those weird backwaters in the Middle East, tinpot dictators enforcing total hegemony over the land.

If you are able to properly isolate from 'The World', you can do a lot of crazy things.

This place, Road's End, was it one of those places? Those islands in the sea of collective consciousness that are distant and isolated from Society, from 'The World' to such an extent that the rules that govern the modern era are looser, more prone to being pushed and pulled by the demands of the individual? Great Works like out of the legends of old coming to the fore.

That monstrous working of numen in golden light, a sheer down-ward force of This Was that had come from the school when I'd been facing off with the Lamia, that entitled bloodsucker just waving her hand and turning what was a terrifying gorgon-like monstrosity into so much meat and bone.

Such things were theoretical at best, 'ideals' made manifest in ways that shouldn't be possible within the World as it exists now.

And yet.

Maybe the impossible could happen, in this place.

I had already proven as such, no?

In spite of every writing, every scholar I had consulted, every holy man who'd spit upon me, shadowy government agents and cloistered magi in their hidden lairs-

I had remained a human being until the end.

So maybe it was possible, after all.

But, I don't think Souma Nubatama was that sort of person, unfortunately. I was not one to effect mass change like that so needlessly, after all.

He probably just was wondering what I wanted to eat for sustenance, rather than for my own pleasures.

Right.

Yes.

"Awright, chief, gimme some of the good stuff! I'll have a couple o' burgers, some skewers on the side, and if you've got any special sauce or what have you, hit me up with it, yeah?"

I barked out a laugh, turning back to Hwan.

"Hey, hey, don't underestimate me so quickly! A girl's got lotsa places she can put things, you know!"

I crossed my arms smugly, puffing myself up.

You fool, you've fallen for my trap, the apex of cunning, so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasel!

For you see, my wallet, is actually-!

"But it is actually just back in my jacket," I admitted, deflating, jerking my thumb back across the beach to where Kean and Inacio and that boisterous mass of muscle and [butt] were loitering.

"Actually, Souma, what're you getting up to tonight? Gonna take it easy after you went out and put grub on the table? Or something else in mind?"

Blog Entries
    John Dove & Prushka

“Miss Iburi. I am in no position to tell anybody how to live their lives, but, well, we are not in Hokkaido. The burdens of your position and your lineage do not exist here. You might make mistakes, things for which others may feel suspicion, or outright dislike you or reject you. However, nobody here would thing less of you for being true to yourself and your honest desires. Nobody here has that right.”
    "John Dove. Cloaking your aggression in life lessons... how transparent a ploy. Subaru can befriend the ocean at her own pace. Now. Are you prepared for your reckoning?"
    “So you do know my name, Miss Prushka. I am honored. As for Miss Iburi, I believe that, if she wishes to join the games, she should just do so. The sea is no place for pretensions. In any case, as I said to Miss Iburi just now, a water fight is not supposed to be a unilateral thing. If you wish to team up to bring upon my downfall, I welcome it wholeheartedly. However… … you certainly do not mind if I struggle to the bitter end, do you?”
    Subaru Iburi stared quietly at John.

She had strengthened her expression, wiped away the formed tears with her hand... and now, her eyes were solely focused on the boy. At the same time she seemed to be thinking hard on the words that he had said. Just one look on her face told that... as the fact that she quietly mouthed something that sounded a lot like "They don't exist here..." - something John himself had said just moments before. Even if she was trapped on her inflatable tube, the girl seemed to be gathering her strength... and ready herself to push through her limitations.

"... Miss Prushka."

Suddenly.

Subaru's voice rang out.

Her tiny body tensed like an arrow readied on a bow.

And then...!

"Let us get this brazen fool, who dares to splash water on maiden's face!" Subaru suddenly yelled out. "Eiyaaaaa!"

It happened surprisingly nimbly.

Subaru jumped up from the inflatable tube, balancing herself on top of it with her hands and legs, almost like a four-legged animal that was about to pounce. And pounce she did. While John's other hand was still busy pulling on the pool toy, Subaru let out that fearsome(?) yell and jumped - arms and legs spread - straight towards the boy. Even from her disadvantegous position, she turned out to be frighteningly fast. Before John even had proper time to react or dodge out of the way, he found himself trapped.

Hands bound by a tiny girl who had wrapped herself around his body, clinging to his back like a spider---!

"Now, Miss Prushka...!" Subaru yelled out, locking eyes with the other short girl. "Tackle him to the grouuuuund---!"

--- Well.

Looks like even Subaru had finally gotten to the spirit of things.

[John Dove: Grappled!]

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "Let-let's get Jake to shore so he can recover. He's looking a little too woozy to be in the water. You grab one arm, I'll grab the other, and we'll tow him back? Then- then we'll head back out here and then I'll finally throw you in the air. Or we can reap terrible vengeance on John Dove on the way, but I think Prushka's got that covered."
    Ubon, who was now watching the high-octane melee combat that was unfolding right in the shallows of the beach, giggled merrily at the sight of John's plight, before whistling enthusiastically and waving her hand into the direction of the trio.

"Show the nerd what for, Subbie and Prushie~!" Ubon cheered them. "He deserves to be taken under, for realsies!"

Then, the cyanhead turned to look at Elise and nodded.

"Yeppers! Let's get the dork out of here before he drowns!" Ubon answered and started wading towards Jake. "Come on, Mr. Janitor! Time for a pit stop~! You're looking kinda woozy!"

It didn't take long for the two girls to catch a hold of the silver-haired janitor, who was still recovering from the surprise assault as delivered by Prushka. It was quite understandable why he kept mumbling stuff about "horrific hypersonic midgets" and "terrible torpedo shorties", even as the two of them started dragging him towards the shore. Thus, like a couple of tugboats, Ubon and Elise started towing Jake towards the shore, letting the delirious janitor float on the waves as they themselves waded forward.

Ubon giggled at the sight of the young man, eyes still swirling in his head, once they got him to the water's edge.

"Wow, must've been one fine hit to get him that good!" the cyanhead chuckled, before glancing at Elise. "What'cha wanna do with him? Should we just leave him? Or try to wake him up?"

A slightly mischievous grin sprouted on Ubon's face.

"Hmm... I know that CPR is totes good way to snap people outta stuff like this," she said, putting hand over her hand and letting out a quiet laugh. "Want to give it a go, Essie~? Ufufufufu..."

Jake, who was laying on the sands, on the other hand...

"RHCP? Duuuude, I love RHCP..."

... Didn't seem to realize what was going on.

Anna Vandemeel

“Dry skin my ass. No guy still in possession of his marbles is going to go “Oh, I found a great looking gal with a smashing personality, but I dumped her because her skin was a bit coarse.”
    Gabi munched on a piece of watermelon, and blinked at Anna, having apparently heard the words that the girl had murmured.

"....... I have a good moisturizer..." the boy quietly said, question appearing in his dull eyes. "......... Want to try......?"

Perhaps there had been some sort of miscommunication here... no, there most definitely had been some sort of miscommunication here. After all, even with Gabi's impassive face, it was clear that the boy had misunderstood Anna's biting words and harsh speaking style to mean that she herself had some bad experiences of guys and their opinion on her skin care... which was why the boy was now making an effort to be nice, and offering some help in this situation.

It would have been noble, perhaps even somewhat adorable, had it not been so misguided!

"Ahahaha... Wow, Red... um... t-thanks..."

Ramia, on the other hand, had a slightly strange reaction to all the things Anna had said. The dusky-skinned mercenary was sitting on the sands as before, but now, she looked a bit dumbfounded. Awkward laugh bubbled from within her and she scratched the back of her head, clear blush rising to her cheeks. Maybe she wasn't used to getting complimented, or perhaps the vehement way Anna had dismantled her arguments had taken her by surprise, but nevertheless, it was clear that Ramia was feeling somewhat bashful.

A side the girl had never shown before.

"Y-you know, I think I got you figured out all wrong, Red. You might be as harsh as a cactus, and stingy as a scorpion, but you're actually pretty nice girl underneath that all, huh?" Ramia asked, smile having risen to her lips. "Not only were you all supportive of Gabi earlier today, but now you're saying all that sweet stuff just to cheer me up..."

Ramia scratched the bridge of her nose, looking at her own shoes like they were the most interesting thing in the world.

"So, y-yeah, thanks. Y'know. For that," the dusky-skinned girl said, before finally facing Anna and flashing a grin at her. "I mean, even if it's not true, it feels nice to hear. B-but, I don't mean that I doubt you. You just have your own viewpoint, and well... like I said, I'm just not ticking the boxes guys go for, you know? I mean, it's not like any guy's gonna want a girl with abs, or who can benchpress 130 kilos, or who's always covered in gun oil and whatever other gunk. B-but that don't mean I'm sad about it - I made peace with that fact a long time ago."

Listening to how she spoke about it, and how Ramia sounded almost nonchalant about what she said... Anna might have definitely stumbled upon a part of what got the girl sent here to Pinefall in the first place. Low self-esteem was normal for teenagers, that much was true - especially about their appearance and looks. But the way Ramia spoke about it felt different. Almost as if she simply couldn't, in any shape or form, imagine that somebody was attracted to her. Almost as if she had considered a physical impossibility. Not something to be sad about or feel depressed over, but just an unfortunate fact of life she had come to terms with.

But if her opinion about herself meant that she couldn't see anyone actually attracted to her... what else could there be? Just how deep did a mental scar like that go, and what other things did it affect?

And how could she seem thankful and happy about what Anna had said, while at the same time completely brushing off her own merits?

"But yeah... thanks, Red. Honestly," Ramia said, a bit quieter, like she didn't want anyone else to hear. "... You're a pretty sweet girl."

An agreeing hum came from the other end of the log, where Gabi a tiny nod, eyes locked to Anna. He had even stopped chewing on his watermelon to speak.

"....... Anna's harsh on the outside....." the boy started. "....... but honestly......"

Then.

Just for a split second.

A tiny smile hovered on the boy's face.

".... she's also very kind...."

--- Sudden sage advice from Professor Bahkauv?!

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

In the end, they ended up doing it four times more.

The Fastball Special, that is.

Even Pyry, who was a bundle of boundless energy and pure muscle, was breathing somewhat heavier as him and Hisa emerged from the waters back to the beach. As fun as the whole thing had been, it was also pretty exhausting - as was swimming in general. In that sense, it was a good idea to rest up and relax a bit on the beach before the gig would start, or otherwise neither of them would be in any condition to play and sing. As the two of them got their feet back onto the sand, they noticed some of the groups had certainly changed around the beach.

First of all, the group of boys around the grill had dispersed, leaving only Hwan, Elaine and Souma there. At the same time, Liana Skye was nowhere to be seen, but Xylia Pheme was (for some reason) sulking far away from everyone else. Both Lucille and Vier had met up with Aleen and Caleb, and Mercedes West was having some sort of argument with Kean Loinnir. Add in the divided group around the picnic tables (Sakura seemed especially lively) and the whole beach certainly looked even more alive than before.

Which was not a bad thing, all things considered.

Honestly, it made the whole place feel like it was buzzing with anticipation regarding the whole music show that was about to happen later.

"M-man... you're pretty good at that, pikkusisko," Pyry laughed, shaking some water from his hair. "Bet we could take the whole act on the road, make a killing around the country! Magnificent Flying Hisa and her Muscle Cannon!"

Then, putting his other hand on his hip, the boy pointed his thumb towards the grill.

"Want to get some grub then? Or should we get some drinks? I left my own cooler near the stage," the boy asked. "I'm fine with either, so it's your call."

Elaine Winters

"Awright, chief, gimme some of the good stuff! I'll have a couple o' burgers, some skewers on the side, and if you've got any special sauce or what have you, hit me up with it, yeah?"
    Souma raised his eyebrow.

Then, a ghost of a smile appeared on his face.

"......... Heh."

He turned around, removed the foil from around one of the plates, revealing a stack of gigantic burger patties and slapped two of them on the grill. The sizzle of delicious meat filled the air, and while the other patty looked like it was store-bought, the other one was clearly one of Souma's own making. Skewer ingredients followed soon in suite, with mushrooms, few veggies, meat, meat and more meat being added so that the one-eyed boy could build them up soon.

And then... he brought out a jar.

A jar of something so red it felt like it was screaming.

The air itself seemed to quiver a bit at the sight of the jar, and even through the sealed container, Elaine could smell something... stinging. Burning. Scorching.

"... Coming right up," Souma said, glancing towards the blonde. "....... I think you'll like the meat. And the....... sauce."

His eye narrowed a bit.

"------ It's home made."

Suddenly, some sort of forgotten trauma reared its head from deep within Elaine's mind. Some sort of hazy memory of something burning through her body and knocking her out cold with a single strike. Something throwing her whole head for a loop and dropping her down to the sand without any chance of victory. Was this her instincts that were now warning her? Instincts that were horrified that she was about to repeat the same mistake as last time?

Perhaps.

"Hey, hey, don't underestimate me so quickly! A girl's got lotsa places she can put things, you know! But it is actually just back in my jacket."
    Hwan snorted and rolled his eyes, feigning huge disappointment.

"You know, you got lot to learn 'bout fishing for those discounts. That's just a boring answer, seriously," Hwan commented, before cackling a bit to himself. "Eh, whatever. I'll get enough eyecandy during the job, anyways. So yeah, just fork the cash over when you need me, Ponytail. Looking forward to this... work... of yours."

He wiggled his eyebrows in a suggestive, completely vulgar and sort of hilarious manner.

"Actually, Souma, what're you getting up to tonight? Gonna take it easy after you went out and put grub on the table? Or something else in mind?"
    "...........?"

The one-eyed boy lifted his gaze from the grill, glancing over his shoulder back towards Elaine.

"... Hmm. Most likely rest," Souma commented, shrugging his shoulders a little bit. "I was out... late... last night."

He quitely laughed at his own words.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    “…you certainly do not mind if I struggle to the bitter end, do you?”
    "Oho~?"

I can't help but grin.

"At least you're no hypocrite. If you've made your bed, then..."

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru
    "Now, Miss Prushka...! Tackle him to the grouuuuund---!"
    "Be prepared to lie on it - across the ocean floor!"

I was sure she'd want to stop, but maybe this plain looking guy's attempts to light up Subaru's heart finally found their mark.

In any case, there's only one response to her fierce resistance! When called upon for aid, the only way I can answer is-!

"УУУУУУУУУУРРРРРРАAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-!"

With a roar, I expel the air from my lungs, sinking down to the ocean floor. My legs bend, gathering power, and I force open my eyes to see through the salty water.

There! With his arms bound, the only way John Dove can stay upright is - those skinny legs of his!

I shoot forward, loosing myself like a projectile, pouring all of my pent-up energy to become a torpedo careening forward.

Arms wide! Grab, and-!

Sweep this bully off his feet!