Page 238 of 244 FirstFirst ... 138188228233236237238239240243 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,760 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 11.09.1994 (SUN)
    Weather: Overcast

I wake feeling not quite alive.

The softly dripping water, the rustling of wet branches, the forlorn whistle of wind, all serve to drag me from dreamless sleep, but the place I am dragged to does not feel like the waking world. It might as well be a grey purgatory, a waiting room for those who are to be dead. Last night's cold has settled in deep. Limbs feel heavy and stiff, and a great grogginess clouds the mind. It was not a restful sleep. It could not have been.

Blearily, from instinct more than conscious thought, I glance out the window. Before the eaves of the grey forest, two white-haired forms, one tall and both fluffy, are speaking to each other. Good. They're safe and not alone.

In one corner, hunched over a desk, is someone I cannot talk to, so I look away from him quickly.

I'm on a bed, but to my right, Colt Davin is on a couch. Oh. That's no good. He's hurt bad. He needs medical attention. I'll have to tell someone.

The someone in question addresses us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathie
    "Morning, you two. You guys hungry? I'm making a boatload."
    "Ye-." My response to the only person here with a bit of colour to them comes out scratchy and gravely and stops halfway through. Not because it's hard to speak, but because the green wolf at her feet makes me swallow my words. As soon as I lay eyes on it a heartbeat -one so strong and powerful it hurts - wrenches through my chest as if trying to tear its way free. It is a cold blast of adrenaline shooting through the body, throwing it back into fight or flight for just a moment, even when logic dictates that there is clearly no danger here.

So instead I draw the blankets around me and barely manage a shaky nod.
    Last edited by Bloble; September 26th, 2023 at 12:00 PM.

Elise-Marie Pelltier

Elise flopped back onto her cot and stared up at the concrete ceiling.

We really need to pick better and more convenient times to have important revelations about ourselves.

Elise suspected that she'd already known, but hadn't been ready or willing to accept it until then. The Benefactor had, perhaps unwittingly, forced her to confront the truth about herself.

She turned her head and glanced over at Travis sleeping in a chair beside her cot. Part of her wanted to admonish him for not sleeping in one of the bunk beds in the room, even if he didn't look too uncomfortable sleeping there, but she let that pass. If the situation had been reversed, she'd have done the same.

I did pass out after I rather suddenly and without warning collapsed screaming to the floor. I'd be pretty worried if I watched that happen too.

She glanced at her watch. It'd likely been four or five hours since she'd passed out. Still, she felt loath to wake up Travis. He likely needed the rest. It'd been a long night, and she could only guess how much longer he'd been up after her collapse, the subsequent panic that likely ensued in the aftermath, and the time necessary for them to bring her down into the basement. On the other hand, she could hardly wait around for him to wake up on his own, or leave the Devil's Dishes without him. There was too much to do. It was Sunday. The deadline was coming fast. Their friends back at Pinefall were in danger. Even in the relative safety of the old listening post, they were likely in danger. They'd barely had the chance to question The Benefactor and their allies about what they knew about this whole situation.

Maybe The Benefactor can give us a raincheck. Some way to make contact with them next week? That'd given us the chance to hurry back to Pinefall as soon as possible. Of course, there's no guarantee we'll even be able to make it back to Pinefall. Maybe it would be best to try and learn as much as we can before we head out? I wouldn't be surprised if we ran into Quiltcloak lurking in the woods again, or some other Turnside entity that comes crawling out of the woodwork, but that doesn't mean I don't want to try.

She wondered what horrors her friends had woken up to this time. Was someone else nailed to the yew tree in front of the dorms, or had their tormentor chosen something more grisly this time? Or, maybe, she hoped, that her friends' vigilance had prevented them from acting so brazenly this time.

Of course, it's possible that everyone did what Travis and I did and wandered off on their own, and we're all scattered to the four winds. At least Lucille knows where I went last night.

She sighed to herself as she considered her plans for the morning. Regardless, there was one thing she needed to do first. Elise pulled herself back up into a sitting position on her cot and looked over to the sleeping Travis sitting beside her.

"Hey? Hey Travis?" asked Elise, "Good morning. I'm, uh, sorry about last night."

Elaine Winters

She turned the packet over in her hands again, staring at the wall.

She'd done some work, what little she could do.

The chime rang out through the dormitory.

She got up from where she'd been sitting, crossing briskly to the door, opening it as she went.

A right, then down to 104.

Someone would be there, if nothing else.

Then she had a job to do.

A figure enters her line of sight.

"Skye."

A statement of acknowledgement, then she moved to the door.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

The nose woke first, tickled by the warm aroma of sizzling butter. Then followed the ears, perking up as they caught the pop of eggs in a skillet. Next came the eyes, which tried to blink away the blurriness of sleep. Deep, much needed sleep.

A dreamless sleep.

It was at once welcome, but also lonely.

"Morning, you two. You guys hungry? I'm making a boatload."

Colt sat up, looking around. Who was the other part of “you two?” Through still-sleepy eyes he located Prushka, bunkering down under a blanket forcefield.

Colt’s mouth opened to return a good morning of his own, but suddenly he felt his face hit the cushion of the couch with a pomf. With one momentary lapse of focus, his entire body simply fell to the side as soon as he seemingly righted it.

“… G’mornin.” He pushed out the sound with his cheek still pressed into the couch.

This time with extra support from his hands he pushed himself back up.

In doing so, he noticed something odd.

There was almost no sensation in his right arm. It was numb, as if someone had hit him with enough anesthetics to calm a bull.

The arm worked, but without the correct sense of proprioception, the movement was awkward. Plain as day to anyone that paid attention.

“I need sugar.” He said aloud, leaning his back deeply into the couch with one hand planted firmly to his left and right like flying buttresses. “Miss Savage, d’y’all have any fruit… or berries, or juice? Maybe a banana, or some oranges. Or uhh, apples. Maybe some jam?”

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Location: Pinefall High Dormitory – John Dove’s Bedroom (1F, Room 106)

Spoiler:
    Looking at his reflection on the bathroom’s mirror, even the likes of John Dove can tell he doesn’t look too good. Sleep was…scant, to say the least, all the more so when Elaine Winters, bless her heart, announced Miss Iburi’s murder loud enough for the entire building to hear.

So many things to worry about, not enough brain power to deal with it all. That is the John Dove life. Truth be told, however, his dead classmates are the last thing in his mind at the moment. A strange thing to say when a psychopath is out there on a mission to destroy them all, but it is what it is.

“…I…didn’t do anything.”

No, this is not another bout of self-deprecation at his inability to contribute to solving the crisis surrounding him and his classmates. Surprising, yes.

The source of this new wellspring of self-loathing is slightly different.

Spoiler:

“If I don't come back Johnnie... if I forgot you by the next time we meet.... Find me again, okay?”
    And then she left, and he did nothing to stop her, even if he had absolutely every reason in the world to do so. He could drown himself in justifications, of course—she’s magic and he’s not; she could run laps around him like some cartoon skit and leave him eating dust if she wanted to, but…

“I just…gave up without even trying.”

It’s Sunday, anyway. They’re all going to die anyway. Might as well take it easy before the next iteration anyway.

It takes him three full seconds to realize he punched the mirror. After staring at the diminutive fragments of glass stuck to the skin of his fingers for about as long, he can put a name to the squirming, chilling thing crawling inside his chest.

Taking a deep sigh, he opens the faucet and begins the task of carefully removing the glass off his hand without hurting himself.

Caring is such a hassle.

It is.

Would be easier to just lock the door and go back to sleep.

It would.

I mean, nobody’s really expecting anything from me. They never have.

No, they aren’t, and no, they haven’t.

Let them handle all the absurd magical battles. That world is none of my business.

Indeed, it isn’t.

Let the federal agent and the magical students solve the case. They can handle it well enough by themselves.

Yeah, they probably can.

“…”

Sighing again, John makes sure the collar of his jacket is properly placed. He considered wearing something else—being the weekend and all—, but in the end he went for the tried and true and comfortable. Today is not the day for fashion experiments.

He chuckles. A memory of a relatively recent past unexpectedly resurfaces. A time before Pinefall. He cares little for those days, yet this memory persists. The person who tried too hard to get along with an ungrateful brat. He still has the clothes she bought him, doesn’t he?

Shaking his head, John puts the idea aside. Maybe some other day.

Taking one last glance at his uncharacteristically unkempt bedroom, John Dove grabs his trusty backpack and sets off. He doesn’t know about his magical classmates, but he would be even worse than useless on an empty stomach, so he’ll first go to the kitchen and make himself a sandwich and a cup of coffee—

He stops right at the doorframe.

Change of plans. He’ll make a lot of sandwiches, as many as he can make with whatever’s left in the kitchen. And all the pots and jars of piping hot coffee he can fill, for whoever feels like partaking of them.

A simple plan even a completely ordinary human can pull off. And maybe the rote motions of preparing such a simple breakfast will clear the cobwebs in his mind enough to go over the evidence one more time.

Spoiler:

“One step at a time, John Dove. One step at a time”
    Thus, the struggle continues. Even if he does not fully grasp what it is that still pushes him forward.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

"What a hassle."

It was hard to believe it was morning already. Feels like it hasn't even been a minute since I managed to close my eyes. But then, considering how it was the emptiest sleep I've had since coming here, it was no surprise it went by so fast...Perhaps for the better, and perhaps why I was feeling surprisingly refreshed. Something I could only appreciate, with the kind of day this was proving to be.

Still standing at the door, I took another glance left, then right.

A few people seemed obviously upset by the murder, but it was obvious that no one was surprised at this point. They must have expected it, too, that despite any effort, it was certain that someone would die this morning. Yet I can't help but frown as well, if just for a moment, before a sigh escapes my lips.

"I guess the lights were for nothing, huh..." I murmured much to myself.

Wishful thinking, is what they were for, it seemed. But it made sense, that they wouldn't keep everything out. Or rather, that it wouldn't do anything against what was already inside there with them. Since...it must have been the shadow, right? The one that tried to kill her as well. The reason why she was against letting people wander around and be on their own.

"On their own..."

It was like the dorm itself was left on its own, in a sense.

Much unlike last week. The commotion, that big crowd that made me realize just how uncomfortably big our class was, both when that trio arrived and on the morning of that Sunday, was hard to forget. Now, though...the difference was quite striking.

Most people must have been out on their business, trying to get to the end of things. Certainly a more productive way to spend what time was left.

As I observe the events of the hallway, Liana bolts out of her room, apparently in quite a hurry as well. She too must have realized that staying here wouldn't be too fruitful. Was almost like a coincidence, still...

Made my thoughts drift from how the murder must have happened, to whether or not she ended up meeting that guy last night. He seemed to be quite intent on avoiding her, but one could never know.

And I won't know either. A reason why I should not give it too much thought.

Another, much deeper sigh is my summarizing thought on the situation, as I step back into my room and close the door behind me, to then address what must be about half of the people left at the dorms.

"Slept well, you guys? Hopefully you're prepared to tackle this horrible day."

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

The scent of freshly ground coffee wafted into the room, as Anna’s eyes lazily flickered open.

Hazy sunlight, filtered through the grey clouds slowly drifted into the room. Another week had passed and here she was again. In the Mitchell residence, same as last time. The shape of the week may have changed, but the structure seemingly had stubbornly remained the same. Had anything truly even changed? Were they simply just rolling along the same hamster wheel, regardless of their decisions and choices? Lambs being led to their inevitable slaughter.

And now I'm planning to return to that thrice-damned hospital as well.

A brief chuckle of wry amusement slipped out of her lips at the thought.

“If history doesn’t repeat, it sure bloody likes to rhyme, it seems.” A small resigned sigh escaped her lips, as she rose up from the couch she’d been sleeping on. “No choice but to trust in the dice, I suppose.”

Entropy would break down all these fixed systems sooner or later. There was no escaping it. For better or for worse, the chaotic nature of man and the world in general could not be so easily denied. If nothing else, sheer random chance would bring them to where they needed to be at one point.

Picking up her red jacket that had been draped over the back of the office chair next to the writing desk, she made her over to the two other occupants of the room.

“Time to rise and shine, you two. Can’t sleep too long, I’m afraid… today of all days.” That last part was barely a murmur as the Estonian witch playfully tussled Stephanie’s dark hair, before turning towards the blonde Scholomance mage. ”Sleep well, Lockhart? Since it seems we’re pretty bad in this whole “investigation” thing, I’d say we got to earn our keep in a more traditional fashion today.”

Despite her earlier sombre thoughts, the Estonian witch was in a surprisingly good overall mood, for once. Gallows humor, perhaps? Or perhaps she was simply more comfortable with the more straightforward nature of the day ahead.

“And if that’s the case, we might as well grab some decent grub for breakfast, eh?”

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Her hand trembles. She bites her chapped lips. Her dull headache has faded away, lost to white-hot fury. Lucille tilts her head back, as if to take the deepest breath of her life, only to let out a devilish shriek.

The dull pain in her brain is more of a pronounced throb. She pants heavily, trying to regain wasted oxygen, before she crumples up the letter in her hands and throws it at the wall. The crackling noise it makes as it collides with the wall just annoys her more.

There’s a bizarre conscientiousness as she rummages through the mini-fridge for a water bottle. She’s half-tempted to grab one of the offending spirits and smash it against the wall, too, but burning rage has settled into cold rationality. Lucille finds her savior and downs it all in one go, before tossing the empty bottle into a trash can.

What is she mad about? That he’s a hypocrite? She’s one too. That he ran off in the middle of the night? She should have thought of that. That he keeps flirting with her?

So annoying.

Unfortunately, it is now her task to find Hwan, dead or alive, so she grabs Parting Gift off the wall she’s set it against and charges out of the outbuilding, with the faculty office in mind. Even if she doesn’t know which teacher exactly, it's better than nothing. Marginally.

If she runs into anyone along the way, well, she expects to let herself be dragged into their business. Finding Hwan, in her mind, is about the same as finding Souma. (Probably dead.) Maybe even less likely than how it seemed back then.
    Last edited by Katie; September 27th, 2023 at 05:30 PM.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    Vivienne Bianchi & Vier Wolff

A thousand thought had run across her mind as she met this 'Vivienne Bianchi'. Puzzlement, shock, wariness, and doubt to name a few. Oh, and perhaps, that there was a certain degree of anger, a raging torrent of nonexistent feelings which scorched Vivienne's soul so much that they burned their way into reality. Yet, before she could try to dialogue with this doppelganger, somehow everything went dark and it felt like she had fallen asleep.

And when she opened her eyes, it was as if nothing had happened, well, no, that was a lie, the clock on the nearby wall seemed to indicate that time had passed.
    The groggy girl gets back up on her feet, gathering her bearings and trying to make out of the situation around her. She is quick to go check over her companions on the floor -- are Alex and Inacio still breathing? Are they just asleep, or is there something more to their slumber?

Oh, at least it would seem that Vier came back to her senses.

"Vier... are you okay? Not hurt... anywhere?"

She seems fine, but it's better to ask than discover a bad surprise later.

"It seems that it is... morning? Alex and Inacio are... asleep... that girl... that looked like me... is gone. She said... very strange things..."

Thinking about them subconsciously causes a spark of frustration that leads to Vivienne's fist balling up...

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

As I regained consciousness, my mind started to process its current environment. The cackle and whirring of electronics. My body and face recognized a familiar sensation… The feeling of cold, hard metal in a well conditioned, sterile room. How did I? When did I? The sound of shuffling in the background caused me to kick those thoughts into overdrive.

I… remember waking up to Lobo Currumpaw who rescued me from the forest where I apparently got knocked out by a collapsed tree branch. I told him about Prushka and her ability to free him where he originally wanted me to join him, but I decided to split off from him since he should be more than capable of finding Prushka himself. I traveled to Suzume Bianchi’s house where I found Inacio Ilusão investigating that place already and managed to find several pieces of information. Eventually, a vault was found and I made the decision to call Vivienne Bianchi here. Inside was a computer, I couldn’t break into and Lobo Currumpaw’s leash. Then… Then…

A surprise guest appeared. At first, I was confused as to why she looked and sounded familiar to me. But when she revealed her name… I…

I immediately jumped awake to take in the room and saw Vivienne Bianchi also waking up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne Bianchi
    "Vier... are you okay? Not hurt... anywhere? It seems that it is... morning? Alex and Inacio are... asleep... that girl... that looked like me... is gone. She said... very strange things..."
    “I’m fine. Can you check on those two for me? If they aren’t in immediate danger, I need to do something before Lobo repeats the same events as last week…”

As I say that, I get closer and closer to the chained beating heart or as “Vivienne Bianchi” said. Lobo Currumpaw’s leash. And if what she said was true, then possessing it should allow me to countermand him. As for how I'm going to command him, I imagine I’ll figure it out once I touch the heart itself…

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye & Elaine Winters

"Skye. Winters."

What greeted the two girls as they entered room 104 was a grim sight... though the passage of few hours had dulled some of the brunt of the shock.

Subaru Iburi lay there on the floor, her dead eyes staring into nothingness. Seven droples of blood stained the white of her hakama, pooled around a simple yet lethal stab-wound in her back. The wound on her thigh was no longer bleeding like it had when they found her, the arrow next to her still had crimson coating its tip - as did the index and middle finger of her extended left hand. The fingers she had used to draw the word "KATA" into the floor next to her.

Even now, Subaru's eyes were aimed in that direction... as if to tell those who saw her to take heed.

"Good morning. For what it's worth," an older voice spoke to them, no humour in its tone anymore. "Your punctuality is commendable."

Scottie Ferguson, special agent of FBI, sat there on Subaru's bed with narrowed eyes and a thoughtful look on his face. He was leaning onto his cane with both hands, his chin resting atop them as he gazed at the grisly scene before him. By the stiffness of his body, one could have mistaken the older man for a statue - were it not for his live, intense eyes.

A bout of silence reigned after the greeting, only broken by Scottie again when he opened his mouth once more.

"... Do you see it?" He asked, without looking at either girl. "What Miss Iburi is trying to tell us?"

His sharp eyes narrowed slightly.

"I've been going over the events of last night over and over again, combing through whatever details I could muster up and... something has occurred to me," Scottie continued. "Think back to what went down in the common rooms. Of Miss Iburi's reaction to what was being said. Was it truly bringing up of Pleiades, her namesake, that bothered her so much? I... am beginning to doubt it. Her words, the way she kept glancing out of the window, her growing panic..."

The older man sighed.

"I'm almost ready to hazard a guess that at that moment, Subaru Iburi realized something. And immediately after, she understood that by realizing it, she was marked. I'm almost certain that Miss Iburi knew that she would die next, yet kept up appearances for the sake of throwing someone for a loop. Last ditch effort of subterfuge," the agent spoke. "Meaning that whoever she was trying to fool was there to hear her, to watch her reaction. And when this happened, she was prepared enough to try to leave one last message for us."

The man sucked in air through gritted teeth, and for a moment, both Liana and Elaine could see anger barely restrained within him - anger that he had let the girl before them die.

"... But what was it that Subaru Iburi realized, and we didn't?"

John Dove

As John entered the kitchen of the dormitory, he had seen more than a few things on his way. A small gathering was forming at Subaru's room, while there seemed to be few conversations going on behind closed doors. However, as he stepped into the kitchen itself, he saw that it was mostly abandoned... save for one person. Sakura Tsukioka, looking pale and haggard, sat at the table, clutching a glass of water with both hands while her eyes stared into nothingness.

It took her a few seconds to register the boy had even arrived.

"J-John..."

Sakura spoke out, her voice sounding somewhat hoarse. All in all, the older brunette didn't look like she had slept well... if at all. And in a situation like this, it was no wonder. The pressure of this week must have been getting to everyone.

"What are you doing here, John?" Sakura asked. "Shouldn't you be..."

She paused, hesitated, then turned her gaze away. Perhaps she realized that at this point, plans or prior commitments were hardly important. Silence stretched longer as Sakura took a sip out of her glass, before setting it back to the table with clink.

"... I found Gabi," the older girl finally blurted out. "At the yew tree, just outside the dorms."

Hisa Momoi

Hearing Hisa's voice, the two girls present raised their gazes to meet hers. Leena was looking somewhat pale, hugging her body and looking a bit distraught. It was true that she didn't know many of the people living in the dorms, just a handful, but the idea of a murder happening just few rooms away had definitely shaken her. Despite her past, it was clear that the young McLampet wasn't used to events like this.

Mercedes on the other hand... when Hisa looked Mercedes in the eyes, she could see they were red and slightly swollen. While she had acted well - as per her trade - and not shown it at any point, it was patently obvious to anyone that looked to see that Mercedes had been crying. Now her body shivered with barely-contained emotions, be their rage or sorrow. Her hands were clenched into tight fists as she averted her eyes from Hisa, looking down at the floor instead.

"That little moron...!" Mercedes hissed. "I, like, can't believe she went and..."

The starlet didn't finish her sentence. It was obvious that surprisingly enough, Subaru's death had affected her a lot. While it never seemed like the two of them had much in terms of interactions, perhaps - just perhaps - Mercedes had always liked the small girl. And now that she was dead, she felt like she had failed her somehow.

"What... what do we do?" Leena asked, looking at Hisa for guidance. "You mentioned we would need to go to the overlook by noon, but there's still some hours before that. Is there something we need to do before that?"

Her gaze faltered a bit.

"Is there something we... can do?"

Mercedes' clicked her tongue. Judging by her face, it was obvious what the actress wanted to do - even if the idea of her being able to gleam anything new from the crime scene was unlikely, considering there was already an FBI agent present.

While Hisa thought of how to answer, she got a familiar sensation through her shared link with Pyry. It seemed like the boy was awake, letting Hisa know that he, To-Totesh and Gradient were making a quick round around the dormitories to make sure that there weren't any more nasty surprises present.

[Five minutes tops. And we won't leave the sightline of windows. Be there soon,] Pyry's thoughts resonated in her head.

Lucille Faraday

It didn't take long for Lucille to reach the main building.

The overcast skies above still held a promise of more rain as she threw open the unlocked doors and marched inside, storming towards the faculty office. As she pushed aside the sliding door, a scene somewhat familiar from last night spread out before her. The signs of the battle. The spot where Souma's body had slumped onto when they dragged it out of the rain. Her eyes scanned the area, something more popped up to her as well. Curiously, there was... something on the back wall of the faculty office. Trails of blue had been painted on the wall, making for what looked to be a crude picture of a slice of blue breaking through darker clouds. But that definitely hadn't been here last night. So when had it appeared?

Well, no matter. What Lucille needed was the addresses of the teachers.

And she found them easily enough. After all, "someone" had left that particular paper on the nearby table, as if they had been looking through it as well. Scanning it through, Lucille was able to gleam the addresses of Suzana Costa, Lewis Redd, Hiroto Hatou and Mr. Mao from the paper. Ronja Leuzinger and Sae Min were... conspiciously missing from the emergency pamphlet. Still, the other four lived in the southern suburbs of the town, meaning that it might take a moment to get there, but once there, she would have easy enough time to visit them all if need be.

The emptiness of the main building pressed in all around her. It was like she had been the only living person in a mausoleum of sorts. And the equally empty campus outside didn't seem more inviting either.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; September 28th, 2023 at 08:25 AM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

It's all the more real inside of her room.

"...At the moment of Subaru's..." She pauses, voice almost hollow, emotions she was doing her damn best to suppress still lingering just beneath the surface of her psyche, squirming at all the implications in the man's speech, implications of a child who had known she was going to die and must have felt so terribly alone at the end. "Panic episode. There were exactly eight of us inside of the room-"

She could remember it quite clearly, after all...

She had been playing it out in her head all night, over and over again, well aware that there were a number of things she could have done in that time to change the outcome of the night. Of course, it probably wasn't fair to herself to linger on those things, the what-ifs, the mistakes that a monster had used to kill someone while she had been in the same building as them, but she had lingered on those things nonetheless.

It haunted her.

A perfectly potent poison.

One is always harshest towards themselves.

"-Liana, Elaine, Kean, Scottie, Xeni, Subaru, Lucille, Hwan. If we count Tonkori, that count goes up to nine, if we count this... Invisible student of ours, it's a theoretical ten." Almost robotic in tone now as she quietly lists off a set of names, the suppression of her emotions is obvious and slightly strained, but her voice carries on nonetheless. "If we're going with this theory that Subaru chose to act normal to fool someone present, then it has to be one of those people, no? Unless we are fundamentally misunderstanding something about what Guildenstern is, I suppose."

She could have kept everyone in the lobby.

She could have gone with the squad upstairs, just to make sure they'd be alright, do it in person rather then trust they'd be alright by themselves, that the group was big enough to be safe, after all...

She was Subaru's neighbor.

If she had gone up she would have been right there, she might have heard something, been able to do something about it.

A single change.

---It is, of course, not fair to herself or anyone else to think that; fundamentally it might even be arrogance, assuming she would be enough to change things when it might not have mattered at all, but...

It haunts her nonetheless.

Not like the echoes of Sora's pain, those relentless aftershocks of a twenty-one year old trauma...

This one was fresh.

'隣に座ってもいいですか?'

'I've always been a guardian of kids, it was my job for awhile.

You can rely on me. We'll all get through tonight just fine.'

"If the one she was trying to fool wasn't one of those theoretical ten, she could have just told us, right?"

"Ubon, John and Sakura didn't arrive until after my first phone call. There was plenty of time for her to talk to us."

'... Are we? Two of us are already gone... Mayhaps even more. Are we truly going to be alright?'

'それとも、ウソをついているのか?'

'I-'

But she swallows it.

There's not really time to feel it, it won't help anything, and there is still time to save everyone by the end of this singularity. This is a nightmare that will end eventually, the students shouldn't be able to lose long-term so long as everyone continues to fight, she had told Subaru she was in it for the long haul and she meant that, but-

'They died and we did nothing... It's all our fault...'

---She thought she could understand it a little better now.

---Sora's rage had been imprinted on her, that had already been motive enough to destroy the one behind the massacre long before she had come to Road’s End, but this new hatred-

"Nonsense.'
    'The one who's ultimately at fault is Guildenstern. No one else."

-was hers and hers alone.

One more reason for him to burn.

"...I still don't know much about stars. From what I recall, the constellation had been something like an upside down Big-Dipper, yes?" In spite of the firestorm brewing beneath her skin, the young woman tries to retain her focus, voice calm. Even if Subaru couldn't be saved this time, there may still be a chance to avenge her. "She kept glancing at the window too... If we assume that has something to do with what she realized... I didn't see anything outside when I went to look for myself, but maybe she caught a glimpse of someone? Or perhaps she was just looking at her reflection? Something you can only see in a mirror? She did say something about how it might not be stars, after all..."

She glances down at the word the girl had left, trying not to think too much about the body.

"As for Kata... It could be short for Katana. Kata is also a term in Japanese Martial Arts that means "form." Typically, it refers to a choreographed series of movements made to be practiced alone." She takes a breath, something inside of her shaking ever so slightly along with it. "That could... Point at a few things I suppose. It could be her pointing the finger at a martial artist, or saying something about the idea of being alone... From the point of view of the Turnside, it could also be a reference to Plato's "Theory of Forms" I suppose, meaning something like a manifest Idea... Although considering she seemed to use more eastern concepts, I doubt that was what she actually meant."

Her gaze drifts from word to girl, the stoicism she was doing her best to maintain fading in her eyes -flickers of sadness breaking through- before she closes them, fighting against a certain burning feeling, and-

"...I don't think... I understood any of what she was trying to tell us at all."

Had she been scared then, when she had tried to comfort her with a hug? Is that why the younger girl had jerked still? Had she already been fearing for her life right then and just felt like she couldn't say anything about it?

Had she missed something like that?

Some sort of clue as to what had been going on inside of her head?

"..."

There was no way of knowing now.
    Last edited by Airen; September 29th, 2023 at 05:37 AM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Elaine Winters

A grunt.

"There were pictures, over there," I jerked my chin, "Subaru had a sister, or some manner of female relation, who had her own Akita pup. If that means anything in the grander scheme, fuck if I know."

Does draw some interesting lines between this poofy-Subaru and last week's straight haired one.

Were both Subaru? Did it depend on the world-line?

A shrug, "Not likely to get much answers out of the dead today, 'nless you want to go fuck around at the Lighthouse and see if that squirrelly Mormon half-pint'll have anything for you."

A noise of disgust.

"I don't like being in here, it reeks of blood, there should be more, where is it."

Dark muttering.

"Shit, who's to say if she even wrote it, hit in the heart like that should drop you like a sack of potatoes, let alone a girl like her. Could be it's a wild goose chase. Cuz Subaru's Japanese, so why would she write it in English?"

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

A mental nod, just to acknowledge what Pyry said.

It's hard not to let the sadness get to me as well. Not because of the nature of the situation, but rather, because it hurts that these two have to go through this.

"I know that nothing I can say will ease your sorrow or help make you feel better. Only time can do that, I guess. But..."

Because it reminded me of my past, too. All the times I was left alone. All the times I lost someone, and ended up hopeless and helpless. It never got any easier, and I never got any closer to finding any sort of remedy to it. All I know is what I wished to have those times. Someone to be there for me, who would listen, share my pain, and drag me forwards. That's all I know to act upon, in cases like this.

"Don't let it get to you too much. It was likely bound to happen, that someone would have to die."

I walked over to Leena first, and wrapped my arms around her to pull her into a hug, with the touch of my fingers conveying a soothing sensation as well - to share my feelings that I could hardly put into words.

"It's sad and scary, especially when its closeness makes it feel so real and personal. It makes you blame yourself, that it was your fault, and that you could and should have done something. I always feel like that too. But letting those thoughts distract you and occupy your mind for too long will just break you. Especially now, when it feels like the world is trying its damnedest to force us into that downwards spiral."

I was one to talk, considering...

I let go of her, and approached Mercedes next.

"It always surprises me. Remembering the kind of cold, emotionless, unapproachable bitch you tried to make yourself appear to be at first. Yet, you are much kinder than most people here. And you care a lot, don't you?"

A faint smile appears on my face, perhaps inappropriate for the situation.

But it was just weird, how things change, and how a lot of things are far from what they seem to be.

As I speak up again, the smile fades.

"And that's why, we'll get to the end of it, one way or another. Until none of this has to happen."

I raise and extend my arms just slightly, but do not hug her. I wasn't sure if she would accept it - but if she wanted to do so, it was obvious that there was an intent.

"However...what would you like to do for now? Even if I would appreciate if you could accompany me to the overlook later, right now, I want to help with what you guys woud like to do instead."

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

"... I want to, like, get to the bottom of this."

Mercedes' eyes narrowed as she stood up from the bed.

"I mean, I'm... not that great of a person or whatevah, Hisa. I am a bitch. But even I have feelings, and..." She paused for a moment, searching for the right words. "... Like, I dunno. Guess I always liked that little idiot. That unruly hair just like got me itching to comb it. And, well... like, she knew my mom's song. Somehow. We didn't, like, talk a lot or whatevah, but when we did... we got along."

Then, without a warning, Mercedes gave a quick hug to Hisa - as if to reaffirm herself and recharge her batteries with just a light touch. But just as quick she took a step back, exhaling loudly and slapping her cheeks for a good measure.

"God, what am I, a baby?" The starlet snarked, wiping her eyes. "I can't start bawling at a moment like this. Especially when I bet everyone else is, like, running around like headless chicken or whatever."

With a renewed vigor, the actress raised her gaze and shown that the steel in it was back - filled with determination.

"Like, let's go make ourselves useful or whatevah," Mercedes said. "I bet her room is swarmed with people right now, but that's not, like, the only place that might have some clues."

Those fierce eyes narrowed.

"I don't believe in closed room murders. If the door was, like, locked from the inside, there's only one way they could get in and out," she asserted. "The windows. So let's go check the outside."

With that, she turned towards Leena.

"You coming, bluebird?" Mercedes asked with a smirk. "Despite how gloomy she, like, always acts, Nancy Drew here is pretty good at giving a pep-talk, no?"

Leena nodded, and although she was a bit more shaken than the two girls - clearly not as used to this as them - she seemed ready as well.

"Mm, let's go. I don't wanna just lay down and be useless," Leena said firmly. "Besides, if we find something on the scene, Hisa might be able to read the history of that thing, right? With her powers?"

Mercedes' eyebrows raised and she glanced at Hisa.

"Think you could do it? The rain might have washed away a lot, but like, if we found something that stuck around..."

Liana Skye & Elaine Winters

"... No. I'm quite certain that Miss Iburi wrote this herself. See here?"

Scottie used his cane to carefully, respectfully lift Subaru's index and middle finger - the ones that had been extended.

"There is blood under her nails, and the tip of her fingers - as well have nails themselves, have signs of being rubbed forcefully against a hard surface, such as this floor here. The angle of the arrow-wound also aligns with Miss Iburi having done it herself while laying here on the floor," the agent spoke. "I think we can discount the idea of the murderer trying to give us a false lead. If anything, I doubt Miss Iburi would have even gotten this far if she had attempted it while they were still in the room."

Having said that, Scottie's eyes glanced towards both the door and the window.

"... Though that begs the question, how did the culprit enter and leave?" He wondered aloud. "Considering your... violent entrance, Miss Winters, the door was locked from the inside. And the handle to open the window only exists on this side."

A quiet hum exhaled through the detective's lips.

"So at which point did our culprit enter, and more importantly, exit the room?"

There was a deep quiet that followed those words - one eventually broken by Scottie himself.

"... What comes to the dying message, and these drops of blood on her back, I must admit I'm at a loss. But you bring up a good point, Miss Winters. Miss Iburi was Japanese. That might have even had to do with what she noticed that we didn't. And if she wrote her message in English, there must have been a special reason. If it was just a matter of scribbling the first thing that came to mind, she would not have made the effort," Ferguson pointed out. "Kata... kata... why 'kata'? Was she interrupted? Or is that the whole message? And then this pattern..."

He pointed his cane at the seven dots of blood on her back.

"A more fantastical answer would imply that they are something with a connection to this Turnside of the world you speak of, but the federal agent in me cannot help but to wonder. What if this is merely the culprit's Signature?" Scottie proposed. "A serial killer, especially a successful one, will almost always start to feel like they cannot be caught. They entertain delusions of grandeur and invincibility. Therefore, they... start to 'communite' with those chasing them, for the lack of a better word. So could this be that?"

His eyes narrowed.

"A taunt from the killer? A Signature to smirk at us?"

Colt Davin & Prushka

"Catch."

Fu's voice broke through the silence as the tiger girl sent an apple flying Colt's way with an underhand throw... only for it to hit him squarely on the forehead with a soft bonk and drop do the sofa. This caused Fu to frown behind her round glasses.

"Sheeze, you really are half-asleep, aren't you?" She said, shaking her head. "Not that it's a surprise, after what you guys went through last night..."

Cathie sighed and nodded firmly.

"Honestly! I don't know who that creepo was, but I'm glad he skedaddled out of here when he did! You should have seen in what shape these two were by the end of it," the auburn-haired girl commented. "I swear, it's like whenever I turn away for two minutes this guy goes and gets himself into one heck of a pickle..."

Still loudly grumbling, Cathie turned back to the scrambled eggs she was making - leaving behind a strange sort of silence between the rest of those gathered in the cabin.

One that was broken by, of all people, Nevada.

"... Mercenary," he croaked out with his hoarse voice. "That guy was a mercenary."

This caused Ranger Savage to raise an eyebrow.

"No shit? A Turnside mercenary all the way out here?" She asked. "What for?"

The pale man shrugged and continued to tap away on his keyboard.

"Couldn't say. But I've heard of him. He tried... something nasty back in the 80's. Almost got a whole mall sucked into the nightmares of that one writer," he summarized. "After he failed that, he's made a name for himself by selling his skills to the highest bidder. Would mean that someone at Road's End hired him."

Max chewed on the nail of her thumb and frowned.

"... Well ain't that just peachy?" She grumbled. "Just what we need. Turnside mercenaries mucking about and bringing even more firepower to the table."

"Well, firepower or not...!"

Cathie's words cut into the conversation as she marched over to Prushka and Colt and shoved a plate of scrambled eggs and a glass of orange juice into their hands.

"What everyone needs right now is food power!" She announced with a hint of a grin. "I might not be my mom but I can whip up a mean batch of scrambled eggs, so dig in."

Then, with a slightly hushed tone, she leaned towards Prushka and gave her a wink.

"And don't worry about the green dog, kid," she whispered to her. "It's just a big ol' softie, even if it looks scary. It even gave me a ride last night when I was searching for Colt."

Elise-Marie Pelltier

"Gah, what the shi--!?"

Travis awoke with a startle, his head swiveling from side to side, his arms flailing for a moment and slightly panicky look in his eyes. His gaze scanned the room hastily, as if taking in where exactly he was... until they fell upon Elise, and the memories of last night seemed to crash upon him. For a moment, there was a cavalcade of emotions on the boy's face. Surprise. Shock. Relief. Slight disbelief. And then... his shoulders started trembling, he grinded his teeth together for a moment, and...

--- As an aside, Travis was rather fast when he wanted to be.

"You moronic Chipmunk!"

A swift karate chop collided with top of Elise's head, born more out of frustration and worry than any actual anger. Still, it kinda hurt!

"Never make me worry about you like that again!" Travis roared. "I thought you had a seizure or something!"

... And it was rare to see Travis angry like this too. Usually it was just general annoyance with everything, but this... was different.

Vivienne Bianchi & Vier Wolff

As Vivienne moved over to Alex and Inacio, she saw that luckily, neither of them had been harmed. In fact, it was likely that both of them were just unconscious. Whatever had happened to them all, it must have been something Turnside related... and as normal civilians, it was quite likely that Alex and Inacio had weaker resistance to it than her and Vier. Still, they were breathing even and had no other troubles, so they should have been fine. Most likely they would wake up on their own eventually, though a sharp slap to the face might speed things up...

Meanwhile, as Vier grasped the chained-up rootheart, she felt a strange sensation come over her. It was like the presence of someone else had suddenly drawn close to her. She could feel their heartbeat, their breath in her ears, even feel the warmth of their body like they had been just next to her. In a way, it almost felt... intimate. Like she had grasped the deepest depths of someone else, allowed into the heart of another person. And in a way, it wasn't invasive either, more like... warm.

But as that as that emotion washed over her, she could also feel something else. Control. Like the orders she would issue through this connection would be fulfilled without question, without chance to rebel against them. In other words, this was the chain... and the presence of someone else was the rootheart.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart & Anna Vandemeel

My eyes opened mechanically, mechanically, and I stared at an unfamiliar ceiling. The heat of the tiny morsel radiated against my cold skin, as I stood in the middle of a far-too homey room for a far-too depraved monster.

Anna's words penetrate my skull like a vice, and I smile with too many teeth at the other girl.

"Vandermeel," I said with a light tone, "There are far too many things to do, and far too little time to do them."

I stretched like a cat, the tiny morsel's body hanging onto mine as I stood up. I politely tapped at the window between myself and Potemkin, asking how Cesarina was.

...Dearest Potemkin, today is a day that our attention will be raptly held and viciously trapped. We are at the precipice of either utter disaster or brilliant revelation. Our hearts sing that wondrous song with a dangerous rhythm in between; there are people suffering, and danger lurks at every corner.

Let's go kill it.

"First: breakfast, I suppose," I said with a brush of a finger against my cheek, "and then, violence."
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"I..."

A softie? That thing? Cathie, you must have never seen this dog with its teeth bared and growls and drool dripping from maw. That dog is the prelude. It's Sunday now. First the awakening, then the talk, then the dog, and then, from around the corner, Mr. Currumpaw will arrive. And then, death. It could be hours away. Minutes. Seconds.

"...thank you."

Letting the blankets slip, I accept the offered plate. There is no way for her to understand. No point in trying to make her understand. All that can be offered is a meagre measure of gratitude.

"That mercenary... said he was here for me, I think. I don't know why, but... he was playing around, the whole time. Not killing, just pushing back someone that'd gotten to close to something. This wasn't his real mission. Just a favour for his employer. I don't think - I don't think he'll be back. He got what he wanted already."

That's a nice factoid to share, Prushka, but isn't there something else? Don't even think of digging into that delicious breakfast until you've said the most important thing.

"I'm... very sorry, everyone. For bringing this mess to your door."

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

There was an attempt to catch the apple, but between the groggy state he was in and his body not feeling fully his own, Colt’s hand rose up a full second after the apple had already reached its destination beside him on the couch.

“Oops.” Colt grabbed the apple from the couch. As far as he could tell, the couch was no dirtier than his hands, and as far as he cared the five second rule was king. “Thanks, Fu.”

"Sheeze, you really are half-asleep, aren't you?"

With a bite of apple in his mouth, Colt nodded a yes across the cabin.

"Not that it's a surprise, after what you guys went through last night..."

"Honestly! I don't know who that creepo was, but I'm glad he skedaddled out of here when he did! You should have seen in what shape these two were by the end of it. I swear, it's like whenever I turn away for two minutes this guy goes and gets himself into one heck of a pickle..."

Colt took the apple in his hands as an excuse to plead the fifth, silently chewing in place of offering a defense for himself, his eyes sliding away from the consequences of his actions. Sadly, the apple wouldn’t last forever. An apple can keep doctors away, but Cathie Walker looked more persistent than any white-coat with a chicken scratch signature than he ever knew. The boy would need to think of a way to get away from the topic of his attraction to getting clobbered.

But as his head drew blanks, of all people, Nevada spoke up, taking the conversation elsewhere.

Nice one, long lost brother.

Colt finished off his apple with glee, knowing that he had escaped scrutiny of his actions. If only momentarily.

"Just what we need. Turnside mercenaries mucking about and bringing even more firepower to the table."

"Well, firepower or not...! What everyone needs right now is food power! I might not be my mom but I can whip up a mean batch of scrambled eggs, so dig in."

Where he once had an apple, suddenly he held a glass of orange juice in one hand and a plate of eggs in the other. Setting the plate down on his lap, Colt once again began to sugarize his brain, happily drinking down the juice, taking a few bites of his eggs between sips.

All the while, a certain someone began to sulk and apologize.

"That mercenary... said he was here for me, I think. I don't know why, but... he was playing around, the whole time. Not killing, just pushing back someone that'd gotten to close to something. This wasn't his real mission. Just a favour for his employer. I don't think - I don't think he'll be back. He got what he wanted already. I'm... very sorry, everyone. For bringing this mess to your door."

“See, this is why you’re a shrimp. Mouth’s too fulla bull to fit any food in there. That’s why you never hit your growth spurt.” Colt took a break from his precious juice. “Far as I’m concerned, I stuck my nose in your business, and I’m not owed so much as a single sorry.”

Then, Colt pointed his fork over at Prushka.

“It’s Sunday, y’know? You really wanna waste time and energy today, of all days, on an apology you don’t need to make?” He drew his fork back, stabbing it into his place and taking another bite of eggs. “I figured you’d have more important things to be sayin’.”

He spoke with a swallow, crudely finishing the bite as he chastised Prushka. At no point was he oblivious to how she was reacting to the green dog, but that wound wasn’t for him to heal. He was already sticking his nose into her business enough as it was, after all.

“And thanks for breakfast, Cathie.” He went back to eating. “Your mom’s gotta watch out that you don’t put her outta business one of these days.”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Gr..."

This - this guy! He's the worst! Why was I ever grateful towards him if he's gonna spout off like that!?

"W-well it's not for you, Colt! It's for Ms. Savage! Not saying anything after dragging someone into a fight is just the height of rudeness! I'm not that awful!"

Who does he think he is, eating with his limbs all messed up like that? You think I won't give you a tongue-lashing just because you saved my life earlier, Colt Davin? Well think again!

"And I'll start growing any day now, thank, you, very, much! Puberty just hits some people later! Sixteen's not too late at all, I'll have you know! I mean, just look at you! You didn't even know you were an esper! Who's the late bloomer now!?"

It'll happen, definitely. Well, if we don't die here. I mean, Snow used to be even shorter than me, and now look how tall he got. As long as you eat healthy, growing is not an 'if' but a 'when'!

With that, I dig my fork into the scrambled eggs and swallow the biggest bite I can. It's absolutely delicious, but because of stupid Colt, I can't even thank Cathie properly.

"Grumble, grumble... stupid awful human..."

Oh, he's not even a human anymore, is he? Damnit.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

“Should I be, where?” John speaks, his face and voice projecting compassion he is not even aware he is capable of. “Looking at you, I say I am exactly where I should be.”

Sakura Tsukioka looks pitiful. Truly, as the days pass, it becomes all the more obvious that this girl, who seemed a pillar of stability and maturity at the beginning, is as brittle as everybody else, mysterious powers and skills notwithstanding. It makes for an interesting standpoint—John Dove would like to think that he would feel invincible if he had supernatural abilities, but he only has to look at people like Sakura to know that would be mere wishful thinking.

“For what it’s worth, I’m truly sorry you had to see that,” he declares as he walks around the kitchen table. Indeed, John is a bit surprised there is another corpse on the yew tree. If the culprit is aware of the time loop, then they would know the impact of such a grisly scene has diminishing returns. Unless it is something that has to be done. Some sort of component of a ritual.

“Sakura,” he calls out to the (definitely) older girl, kneeling down to match her eye level as he plants a firm hand on her shoulder. “I can only imagine what you’re feeling right now, but I have to remind you that there is only harm to be found in dwelling on the already departed. The one who should be in your thoughts, now of all times, should be Miss Faraday, right?”

He squeezes that small shoulder.

“The others need your support right now, more than ever. I…don’t understand the full details of your relationship with Miss Faraday, but I know you will be stronger with her than staying here, alone, dwelling on your thoughts. For good or ill, there are things only you can do, Sakura.”

She might not be a protagonist, but she at least can be a major support character. Unlike John Dove, who is barely a prop somebody left on the stage by mistake.

Letting go of Sakura, John goes to the shelves to get himself a glass of his own. Looks like there’s no time for sandwiches and coffee, after all.

“I’ll pull down the body,” he declares as he fills the glass with cool water. “I ask you to look after those who still need to be protected. That…I have to ask that of you, because it is completely beyond me.”

Nobody is more aware of John Dove’s weakness than John Dove himself.

Remembering how Pyry did it in the last loop…there should be tools in the janitor’s area—a ladder and a hammer at least. And blankets or tarps to cover the body. Yeah…maybe this kind of job suits the likes of him better. He cannot do anything for the living, so might as well handle the disposal of the dead—

—a creak. A horribly sound like misaligned gears grinding against each other. A sound that only exists in his mind. It is a good thing that he is standing behind Sakura and with his face turned away from her. Otherwise, she would have witnessed quite the unsightly sight.

John’s lips tremble, his jaw taut as his face seems to struggle to maintain its characteristic unflappable mien. If he does not control himself, he will do something he will regret. His breathing accelerates.

…really, Vandemeel didn’t kick me hard enough.

He needs to be alone. For both Sakura’s and his own self. But that is no excuse for poor manners.

“I…I’m honestly sorry I don’t have comforting words for you, Sakura. I…wouldn’t know how to do that—how to lighten a person’s burdens. I’m sorry. I…maybe I just don’t cut it as a little brother.”

Words of apology as empty as his pseudo-intellectual drivel. Yet he still speaks them.

Because the one thing he cannot allow himself is to do nothing or say nothing. Even if that is always precisely what happens at the critical moments. Because that is always what happens at the critical moments. And perhaps one day that won’t happen.

And if that day ever comes, he will be reborn.

“But I still wish to think of you as my friend. Even if I’m not cut for that, either.”

He shakes his head, mentally scolding himself for saying unnecessary things.

“I’ll get to work on getting Gabi down right away,” he declares as he finishes gulping his glass of water and quickly washes it. “Please, find a better place than this lonely kitchen, Sakura.”

One last squeeze of that girl’s pitifully feeble shoulder.

“Please take care. For the things and the people that matter.”

John Dove sets off, ignoring the pangs of hunger in his innards. There might be a lull in the miasmic despair of the fateful Sunday to fill his stomach, but right now is not it.

He has to handle the matter of Gabi’s corpse. Souma said it, right? ‘When a serial killer's 'tell' becomes too much of a routine, they may also get sloppy.’ If the murderer revels in their mutilation of the corpse and the preparation of the scene at the yew tree, they might get lax and make mistakes.

And because he feels that, if he doesn’t do something, anything, he might actually explode.