Page 68 of 244 FirstFirst ... 18586366676869707378118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 10.09.1994 (SAT)
    Weather: Overcast

Well, though she managed to diffuse the situation a bit… Mister Pinkerton would not let up. It would be even ruder to refuse his charity, especially if he insisted. Still, the idea left a bitter taste in Lucille’s mouth, but there was nothing she could do about that. People found forgiveness on their own terms, after all. Better to relent than to risk everything turning sour.

"Hey. Are you out shopping?" Caleb greeted Lucille, his voice a bit weary. "... For baseball bats?"
    “It’s a gift, but if they won’t take it… I’ll consider trying it out! Seems a shame to leave this to waste, you know?” Now that everything was cleared up, Lucille’s voice had it’s usual cheer, or rather, optimism. “But yes, I felt like shopping today, and better to do it before it rains.”

"Oh? Are these friends of you, Faraday?" he asked.
    “One’s a friend and the other’s a classmate,” she answered honestly. Well, clarifying which was which may have been important, but Lucille felt this simple explanation was enough. Her brain was still a bit antsy after the previous situation, so she was playing it by ear.

“From the looks of it, if you end up in one of your usual misunderstandings, instead of getting slapped, you might just end up getting slugged in the face by a baseball bat.”
    “I would never,” Lucille said upon hearing Anna’s words, her voice in an indignant huff. “And Caleb is a lovely person besides, he’d…”

Lucille paused, suddenly remembering their interaction on the bus, her face slightly flushed.

“Never do such a thing. On purpose.”

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Dormitory—Common Room
    Morning Phase
    Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Briggs
    “... Just... don't think too badly of me, dude. I've been eating nothing but beans and toast this whole week," Jake continued. "And the smells coming from your cafeteria aint' exactly helping...”
    “It is not my good will that you should seek, then. I am not the cook.”

That is everything John finds in himself to say. It is not that John is incapable of empathizing with the very ordinary and simple tribulations of Jake Briggs’ everyday living. It is precisely because everybody in this stage-like world is meant to carry such ordinary yet important burdens that John deems it unnecessary to even dwell on that. What is necessary for John’s persistence in this hollow world, though, are proper manners.

“In any case, you brought Miss Min and got this issue done and dealt with. Thank you for your efforts, Jake.”

With a long sigh, John thus declares the end of his intervention in the Coastrise matter.

“Well, I’d say I’m done here. Sakura will provide meals for them any moment now, and Miss Min will manage the matter of their lodging. With your permission, I would like to have breakfast now.”

Of course, the breakfast buffet will be cold by now, if it is still there at all, but such things would never worry this young man. Taking everything upfront, and dealing with all things as they come, such is his life in the colorless world.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Err, well, actually, are you a local, to begin with? You seem to be well acquainted here...With the owner of the bar at least, but at the same time, as a folklorist, I’d assume you’d go around places? Wouldn’t mind hearing a bit more about the history of the town, but not sure how much you know.”
    Carrie Lakes snorted slightly. She had been somewhat amused (and clearly not believing) by Hisa's insistence that there was nothing weird about seeing someone naked, and that there was nothing out of the ordinary going on there, but for now, she had decided to let that subject be. For now, anyways. Instead, she took a great big swig from her drink, puffed her cigarette a few times and closed her eyes in that gesture of thinking that she had used a few times before. After setting her glass down, her now-free hand started drawing vague shapes on the wooden counter.

"I'm not a local. You could say I'm here for a... sabbatical from my usual line of work," Carrie answered. "Still, I've learned a great deal since arriving here so if it's local history or tales you're after, I suppose I'm your woman in that respect. Still... you're quite a curious little lady, aren't you? Not the first one to ask around that stuff either. There were your classmates last evening, and then that hunk of a man, Dean Winters a while before. Lots of interesting in a shabby little town like Road's End for some reason..."

She left her words hanging in the air with a meaningful, pregnant pause before opening her eyes and peering back at Hisa - once again studying her expressions. This time, however, it was clearly done to ascertain if there was something suspicious about why the girl was asking these sorts of things. If the same topic came up again and again, even a person like Carrie Lakes would get suspicious.

"... Well, not that I mind talking about that stuff," she finally added, breaking the silence. "So, since you asked, what specifically interests you? How the town was actually formed? I admit I know precious little about the native legends regarding this area, you'd have to find someone else for that. Or perhaps the misfortune of the McLampet family? Or..."

Her smile grew a tad more enigmatic, and darker.

"... Perhaps about the Disembodied Man?"

Elise Pelltier, Alexstrasza Lockhart & John Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    “Elizaveta Vyraj. We talked about her on Thursday morning. John mentioned her when we were eating breakfast together here in the kitchen.”
    For a moment, Sakura's expression froze completely.

Then, out of nowhere, she burst out in an overly loud laughter and scratched the back of her head.

"O-oh, right, AHAHAHAHA, that! Elizaveta Vyraj! Oh, yes, now I remember who you meant!" the girl said hurriedly. "Yes, yes, John mentioned that girl. S-sorry, it's been a rough day and it completely slipped out of my mind, AHAHAHAHAHA!"

There it was again, Sakura Tsukioka's case of resorting in very loud noises whenever she had said something strange. One could have chalked it up to her being embarrassed from forgetting something so easily, but on the other hand... it was also a bit like she was trying to hide something. A sweet girl like Sakura didn't really seem the type to lie outright, so what was truly going on here? It was impossible to tell, at least in this situation. Nevertheless, the brunette had quickly swept the situation under the rug.

But it was at that moment again that the cascade of words from Alexstrasza Lockhart took over the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "Either she has disappeared entirely, or she has been replaced utterly. To search for her is to invite despair, no? What will you find at the end of the tunnel you're walking down? If even memory fails, then perhaps something else is at work. Myths and monsters after all, seem to be entirely commonplace at Road's End. From gods to ghosts to vanishing from even our thoughts, there's simply no way that it's accidental."
    Sakura, who had been putting up slices of the first ready omelette on ready plates, stopped what she was doing and gave a long, hard look at the blonde student. Eventually that expression melted away, revealing a somewhat dry smile underneath along with a hint of that same tiredness from before. Still, the smile was genuine and quite warm at the same time.

"First of all, there's no real way that somebody could vanish from our memories just like that," Sakura retorted, snapping her fingers to demonstrate. "If anything, I bet it's just the stress of this whole school getting to some of us. It was one hectic day and not everyone came here because they wanted to. Even less than that could cause the first day to seem like a fever dream and our memories not match up. I mean, human memories aren't that infallible y'know? For example, can you remember what you ate for dinner last Wednesday?"

The girl's hands began once again dealing the slices of omelette to their proper plates, adding a piece of buttered toast to each one for good measure.

"And I guess up here, so far away from civilization, all kind of spookums and monsters might seem a bit too real, but believe me, Road's End is just a nice little quiet town somewhat down on its luck. Besides!" Sakura giggled and lifted her arm, grasping her bicep at the same time as if showing off her non-existent muscles. "If some kind of Class Five Free-Roaming Vapor tries anything untowards you girls, don'cha worry! Big Sis will drive such monsters away!"

She grinned widely, trying to instil some confidence and courage to both Alexstrasza and Elise with her words.

"Do you really think it's all just a coincidence? That this many people have been invited to a school for those fallen far from the baseline of reality, and one of them just happens to vanish? That people arrive and disappear without so much as a second thought? This isn't a school, Miss Pelltier. Don't tell me you're that dizzyingly naïve.... It's an experiment."
    To this, Sakura simply rolled her eyes and bopped Alexstrasza on the top of her head with a spatula.

"Now stop it, you're spooking poor Elise here," the brunette admonished her. "This school might be a bit weird, but I don't doubt for a minute they're not trying to help us. Mr. Oceandrop didn't seem like the type of gentleman who'd run human experiments or something. If anything, this new environment just has everyone on the edge, that's all."

Finished with the plates, Sakura started pouring coffee into cups, all the while beaming a smile at Alexstrasza.

"... Just give this place a chance, Lockhart. I know things might seem suspicious and there might seem to be enemies around every corner, but as far as I can see... our class is full of good kids, and our teachers are all nice people," Sakura concluded. "I bet there's a lot of people who wouldn't mind being friends with both of you, so why not at least let them try? This is a place for us to try our best in a safe environment, so there's not much to lose, right?"

Finished with preparations, Sakura huffed for a moment and put her hands on her hips, looking down at the plates of breakfast and cups of coffee that were ready and waiting to be served on the kitchen counter.

"But before that, why don't you two help me carry these to the common room? Don't worry, I made enough for you two as well!"

And with that, the morning rolled on...

Indeed, at that same time in the common room, hunger had become something of the topic of the moment. First there was Jake Briggs, who had (to his shame), sneaked in to get some food for himself. Then there was Yeong-Hui who, despite being in the middle of the siblings's conversation with Miss Min, found her stomach suddenly rumbling and quickly hid her face while blushing rather magnificently. And of course there was John Dove himself, who was now making his leave to head over to the cafeteria.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “Well, I’d say I’m done here. Sakura will provide meals for them any moment now, and Miss Min will manage the matter of their lodging. With your permission, I would like to have breakfast now.”
    Jake nodded.

"Uh, sure dude? I guess I'll see you around, then. Still, thanks for keeping company to those three while I was gone, that couldn't have been ea---"

"Oh, no, you're not going anywhere, John Dove!"

A rather demanding voice called that out from the doorway. It was a voice that belonged to Sakura Tsukioka who had just arrived to the common room, arms full of plates and cups of coffee. Tailing her came Alexstrasza Lockhart and Elise Pelltier, armed in similar fashion. Sakura's cocked eyebrow was pretty much an order to the boy to sit his ass back down on the chair, and a signal for Miss Min that her conversation with the siblings had come to an end.

"Ah. I see your food has arrived," Sae Min said, nodding towards the three girls who had just arrived. "I will take my leave then, though I will be in contact later today about the room arrangements."

The Coastrise siblings nodded, though to everyone's surprise, Sakura also blocked Sae Min's path as she started to leave the common room. Instead the teacher found a plate omelet and toast, along with a cup of coffee, handed to her.

"Oh, don't worry, I made enough for you too, Teach!" Sakura said with a grin. "Enough for everyone, in fact. I bet you're all hungry right? So eat up! There's plenty more where this comes from, too, so don't hesitate to ask for seconds!"

Sae Min, still staring at her own share with a sort of subdued, dumbfounded expression, eventually simply nodded and slowly walked to one of the chairs where she sat down, apparently not quite believing that she had been drafted to having a breakfast with her own students.

"Well, ah... Thank you?" Sae Min answered, sounding rather confused. "I will... then partake in this breakfast."

"You're very welcome!" Sakura giggled, before walking over to John and Jake and handing them both their own plates. "Here you go, boys, eat up. Since you sacrificed your mornings for us, I figured the least I could do was make enough for you two, too. So no sneaking off on your own, you hear me, John?"

Sakura's slightly mischievous smile and a raised finger were a warning of what would happen if the boy tried to leave now that he had been handed the food.

"Both Elise and Lockhart here helped, so you better savour every bite or I'll be very cross with you!"

Meanwhile, the three Coastrise siblings stared at everything that was going on with quite the range of expressions. Zhou was smiling in her usual dreamy way, clearly quite taken with this sudden shift in the atmosphere to something much more homely and gentle. Minato, on the other hand, continued to look as grumpy as he had so far, though his eyes were making small glances towards what Alexstrasza and Elise were carrying. Perhaps the boy actually was quite hungry?

As for Yeong-Hui, well... the small girl was staring up at those small plates, a line of drool seeping from her mouth and a loud grumble emanating from her tummy.

"... Ngah!"

Letting out an embarrassed sound, Yeong-Hui quickly wiped her mouth to her sleeve and hid behind her older brother, though her eyes were still trained at those plates of breakfast.

Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "Sorry, but it's im-impossible! It's impossible for girls! Or boys! Or anyone! I'm f-flattered, but it's just not possible!"
    Under the table, Xandra did her very best to flash Prushka a cool, confident grin... though it was hard as he face was turning blue form the lack of oxygen as she was getting her windpipe crushed by the deadlock of Xeni's arm.

"D-Don't k-k-knock it (Gkh!) till y-you've (Urgh) tried i-i-it! (Blrgh) I'm p-prepared to make the i-i-impossible (Hergh) possib-b-ble just to g-get (Mprgh) a piece o-of that s-sweet (Flprh) ass!" Xandra proclaimed amidst her sounds of choking and dry-heaving. "J-Just gimme a (Urp) a chance...!"

The silver-haired girl's eyes were dangerously close to rolling to the back of her head. Meanwhile Xeni, calm and collected as always, shot a look at Prushka from under the table that told her in the most deadpan way possible to not concern herself with anything the currently dying girl said. And on top of that were the words the panda-eyed girl spoke.

"Don't bother. With her. She's a pervert. Of highest caliber," Xeni said bluntly. "Total deviant. Hopeless horndog. Enemy. Of girls. Everywhere."

There was a loud snap as Xeni twisted her arm a bit and something like foam started appearing in Xandra's mouth as her eyes whited out completely and she collapsed to the floor. Sure, she was still breathing so Xeni hadn't just outright killed her, but at the same time... that was a rather harsh way to deal with a... what even were these girls? Friends? Comrades? Members of the same gang? Well, whatever it was, it was still rather harsh. Though Xeni didn't seem to care, as she returned to her fifth glass of cola like nothing was wrong.

Meanwhile Xylia was howling in laughter, cackling at Prushka's embarrassment, blush and whole cavalcade of reactions to this revelations. Still wearing that face of mockery, Xylia pounded the table with her fist and pointed at Prushka.

"Kyahahahaa! Oh my Gawd, ya truly are a virgin maiden! Jesus this is too much! Yer a teenager right, and ya get hot and bothered by something like this? Kyahahahahaa!" Xylia guffawed, wiping tears of laughter from her eyes. "I mean, Xandra's the worst kind of lustful beast, but, but still! Hah! Just how innocent are ya!? I can't believe girls like ya still exist, kyahahahaa!"

With a shit-eating grin plastered on her face, Xylia leaned in closer, her elbow on the table, and sucked her cigarette in a way that told she had just found a new goldmine of fun that she was about to exploit with all her might.

"Besides, hah, I thought fer sure that ya were aiming to get yer rocks off with that blonde manbeast. Ain't that why yer constantly cozying up to him? I mean, I even heard ya pushed him down in the cafeteria! Hah!" Xylia continued, gleefully aiming to get more flustered reactions out of Prushka. "From where I stand, it ain't sounding yer half as innocent or pure as yer making it out to be!"

This truly was a situation where there seemed to be no good way out of. After all, while Xandra might have been still gurgling on the floor, even Xeni was now staring sort of intently at Prushka.

Wait... was the panda-eyed girl the type to be interested in gossip such as this?

Vivienne Bianchi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne?
    "But then for the two of you to have a scheduled date together, she possibly couldn't not know who you are."
    Hearing that, the redhead before Vivienne blushed rather furiously, and averted his gaze, uncomfortably switching his weight from one food to another.

"D-don't be a moron, it's not a date! Seriously. I'm just thanking her since he helped out my bro couple of days back, that's all!" the boy grumbled, hands in his pockets. "B-but yeah, she should remember. I mean, it hasn't been that long. A-and besides, it's not gonna be a date since my bro is there, too! Urgh, this is why gossip is the worst, people always get the wrong idea... seriously..."

The redheaded boy took a moment or two to gather his bearing once more, forcing the redness of his cheeks to disappear. He drew a deep breath, scratched the back of his head, and exhaled. With that, he got some of his confidence back once more. Then, without any hesitation or showing that previous awkwardness that had been caused by Vivienne's surprise of an accusation, the boy stuck his hand forward for a shake.

"Right. Sorry, didn't mean to call you a moron. That was rude of me. Anyways, I'm Zane. Zane Mitchell. A local," the boy introduced himself. "And while I'd appreciate you leaving a message, if that girl isn't here now, I guess she'll arrive later then. That's good. Gives me time to swing by the store and get some stuff I forgot to buy yesterday."

It was something of an odd combination, as while the boy's tone and choice of words was rather brusque and stand-offish, at the same time he was being surprisingly polite. It might have been only because Vivienne using the term "Date" had caught Zane off-guard that he had slipped, but now, he was being nothing if not the picture of good etiquette.

Case-in-point, once the introductions were done with...

"But, you're right. Masks like that were meant to evoke all sorts of feelings, so making them impressive, even intimidating, was kind of the point... I think. Sorry, I don't know much about art like that," the boy continued, lowering his head a bit in apology. "Feel free to correct me if I'm being wrong. I'd rather be corrected than just talk nonsense, after all."

Looking over the mask, the boy did seem genuinely interested in it now that he was up close, and as his original reason for coming here had turned out to be possibly for nothing.

"Still, did you make that yourself? If so, you've got skills. Reminds me slightly of some of the stuff Tommy inherited from his parents."

Lucille Faraday & Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “And you? Have you managed to peddle some Union Jacks and “Keep Calm and Carry On” posters to my poor, unsuspecting classmates?”
    Sue giggled and stuck her tongue out for a moment.

"Unfortunately no. For some reason the stuff from my beloved homeland doesn't really sell well! I wonder why is that?" The shop-owner mused. "Even those Union Jack scarves I ordered, thinking they'd be super popular, are just gathering dust on the shelf... haah..."

She punctuated her words with a somewhat sad, forlorn sigh and a glance towards the direction of said scarves.

“Aah, this slightly clueless-looking guy is Caleb. Actually, I suppose the two of you have quite a lot to talk about, what with the both of you being from the same neck of the woods and all.”
    This seemed to pique Sue's interest as the young woman perked up and looked in Caleb's direction with a rather excited expression, like she was ready to launch into about million questions immediately. Unfortunately for her (and fortunately for the rose-haired boy), Caleb was currently focused onto Lucille and the baseball bat in her hands. Still, the boy clearly either heard what Anna had said or simply felt the stare at the back of his neck, as beads of cold sweat appeared on his forehead.

“Careful, Highlander. You better be on your best behavior here. From the looks of it, if you end up in one of your usual misunderstandings, instead of getting slapped, you might just end up getting slugged in the face by a baseball bat.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “I would never,. And Caleb is a lovely person besides, he’d… never do such a thing. On purpose.”
    Hearing this, the young man in question tilted his head in slight confusion, clearly not remembering the same thing that had just passed by Lucille's mind. Indeed, he folded his arms across his chest, raising an eyebrow at the girl in the process.

"I would never do such a thing. Period. I mean, Little Red Riding Jacket here thinks I'm clueless or something. That I cause misunderstandings wherever I go. Gross overstatement, I say. Plus, as I've come to learn..." Caleb, for a moment, flashed a slightly devious grin towards Anna. "... her own experience in this sort of stuff is zero. So she has no authority or experience to speak of any of this."

Well, that must've been one of the rare few times that the rose-haired boy actually returned Anna's needling. Indeed, perhaps this morning's talk had made him a bit more comfortable to joke back at her, instead of keeping up his posh accent and reserved personality.

"Besides. Miss Faraday isn't the type to hurt people needlessly," Caleb continued, gesturing with one hands towards Lucille. "Unlike you, she's quite the kind soul, so I'd rather trust her with a baseball bat than you. Indeed, it's... Hm? Wait a minute..."

Suddenly, Caleb's words faltered off. Then, showing surprising agility, he fished out his sketchpad and pen and started drawing up something. So absorbed was he in this that the boy didn't seem to realize he had just left the conversation dangling.

Meanwhile, in the background, both Jack Pinkerton and Sue Popplewell exchanged somewhat gleeful, somewhat beaming, grins with each other, and then glanced back at Lucille... then to Caleb... then back to Lucille.

If any sort of misunderstanding was becoming reality here, it was with these two knuckleheads...!

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

“Showing you around… yeah, yeah, sure. I’m not a local, but today I’m your local. Heh. Not like, YOURs. In that way. Y’know.”

Adelaide's face looked like it was rapidly switching from emotion to emotion, but overall she looked... amused?

"Uh... yeah. Sure. I got it."

“L… Library, at the hotel! Yeah, I know where that is. Probably. I memorized the map and stuff. I uh, think it’s gonna rain and stuff today. Beach is probably a bad idea. It’s dangerous, going swimming during a lightning storm. I read that. I read.”

Adelaide got a little closer to him, but slowly - almost like Cole was a rabbit that might bolt if she moved too fast. To be honest, she wasn't sure if he was going to zoom away at any moment, he looked so nervous.

"Yeah, I'm not too fond of lightning, so... I'll leave it to you?"

“I was thinking of going to a record store, if you wanna tag along. Apparently it’s not really open for business yet, but I’m gonna try my hand at weaseling in anyway.”

Adelaide's eyes lit up.

Colt had, in a sense, hit the jackpot.

"I would love that! I love listening to records, but I don't have any here to play. My room is way too quiet for me."

Yeah, she was definitely paying Cole more attention now.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"G-gah..."

These girls! They're ridiculous! Completely ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Xylia Pheme
    "Kyahahahaa! Oh my Gawd, ya truly are a virgin maiden! Jesus this is too much! Yer a teenager right, and ya get hot and bothered by something like this? Kyahahahahaa! I mean, Xandra's the worst kind of lustful beast, but, but still! Hah! Just how innocent are ya!? I can't believe girls like ya still exist, kyahahahaa!"
    "I-I'm not innocent! I know how it all works! And I don't get 'hot and bothered'! Ever! N-not that there's anything wrong with being interested, Xandra... but I'm not! At all! Sorry, but perverted stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest!"

I have to regain control. This is Xylia, so she'll keep laughing at me until both of us faint. It's absolutely imperative that this doesn't continue!

"Look, people of different backgrounds just have different levels of exposure to this kinda stuff. It's totally normal to not know that two girls can-."

Quote Originally Posted by Xylia
    "Besides, hah, I thought fer sure that ya were aiming to get yer rocks off with that blonde manbeast. Ain't that why yer constantly cozying up to him? I mean, I even heard ya pushed him down in the cafeteria! Hah! From where I stand, it ain't sounding yer half as innocent or pure as yer making it out to be!"
    "Gyaaa!"

No! That's... that's...

"T-that's not it at all! Don't even think about spreading that rumour! It was an accident! Just an accident!"

Me!? And Pyry!? No! Never! It's impossible. It's 100% impossible, because...

I counterattack, thrusting my finger as if to let my words pierce through.

"Listen here, Zilla! That guy's not into kids! Pyry's a righteous person that likes girls with boobs! Boobs! And long hair! Girls that can beat up an elk barehanded! And that means there's no chance for a shrimp like you or me! Zero! It'll never ever ever ever happen! Whatever perverted trick you come up with, it won't work! So don't even try it! 'Cus when it backfires I'll be the one laughing at you!"

Oh, geeze, why am I getting so worked up over this?

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

While Rachel Halloway was talking, I managed to finish up my french toast. The only things remaining on my plate were the nice crispy bacon slices and the eggs. I partially wished I had some normal bread to eat them with, but that might be too heavy and might impair me later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Halloway
    "Anyways, do you have any questions regarding the job? It's nothing mind-blowing, of course, just your basic cleaning stuff. Using common sense is adviced and recommended. We won't be giving you any keys... well, yet. If you prove yourself to Uncle he might relent a bit on that department. And of course if something goes missing from where you're working, you're gonna be the main suspect. And Uncle will know if something does go missing. Just a fair warning, don't think too much of it."
    “Not particularly. Like you said it should be a basic cleaning, so I can’t think of anything right now. If I do any questions about certain things, I will try to find you or your uncle... Unless there’s someone else on the cleaning staff you recommend.”

Despite eating and talking myself, I was subtly taking in some of Rachel Halloway’s mannerisms. Like how she ate daintily instead of energetically like her personality would suggest or how she was oddly perceptive of my little annoyance. Rachel Halloway was… interesting to be sure just like her uncle. I can chalk some of it as being staff for a hotel, but there seemed to be something more than that.

I took a bite of crispy bacon before continuing on.

“If you gave me the keys, that would be worrying… Especially since you just met me only a few minutes ago.” I took a forkful of eggs to follow behind my bacon. “That would mean that the management doesn’t care too much and that could include even paying me. So earning the right to have the keys acceptable.”

I combined the remainder of the bacon and eggs into the last forkful. While eating them individually was great, eating them together was even better than the sum of its parts. I looked at my plate before smiling. There we go, an empty plate. The only way to return a plate unless it’s poisoned, drugged, or uncooked. I patiently wait for any of Rachel’s responses before saying something.

“So before I go downstairs to vacuum the basement, where do I return this plate? I can’t be hired as a cleaner and then leave her dishes out on the table after all.”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Not particularly. Like you said it should be a basic cleaning, so I can’t think of anything right now. If I do any questions about certain things, I will try to find you or your uncle... Unless there’s someone else on the cleaning staff you recommend.”
    Rachel pondered that for a moment.

"Well, if there's one trustworthy person out of that lot, I'd recommend talking to Zane. Ah, that's Zane Mitchell. A redheaded guy who sometimes works here as a part-time cleaner. He's got a good head on his shoulder, what with him taking care of his little brother, meaning he's pretty responsible," the girl finally answered. "I don't think he's coming in today, though. I think he said something about a friend coming over to visit, so he'd be spending most of the day cooking."

Having said that, Rachel finished up her slice of the chocolate cake and washed it all down with what remained of the coffee in her cup. Once she was done with that, she wiped her mouth with a napkin and set everything back on the plate so it would be easier to carry. However, as she had been thinking while finishing up her breakfast, something of a mischievous smile passed by her face.

"... Hmm, I do wonder..." Rachel said, more to herself than to Vier. "Did that poor guy finally get someone to brighten up his life...?"

Ah, small-town gossip. Always a popular subject among the populace.

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “If you gave me the keys, that would be worrying… Especially since you just met me only a few minutes ago. That would mean that the management doesn’t care too much and that could include even paying me. So earning the right to have the keys acceptable.”
    Hearing that, Rachel nodded in agreement.

"Well, I can see why you made a good impression on my Uncle. He likes a straight-laced attitude like that," the redhead answered. "I think that if you keep it up, and show up frequently enough, he won't mind trusting you with more important tasks soon enough."

“So before I go downstairs to vacuum the basement, where do I return this plate? I can’t be hired as a cleaner and then leave her dishes out on the table after all.”
    The young woman blinked in surprise at this, before pointing her thumb towards the kitchen.

"Oh, you can take it to the kitchen. They'll handle it there," she answered, before lifting her own plate as well. "Mind taking mine as well? I'll go get the keys to the basement's cleaning closet ready for you."

Having said that, Rachel stood up and made a gesture that she was going to leave on ahead.

Prushka
    [BGM]

"Listen here, Zilla! That guy's not into kids! Pyry's a righteous person that likes girls with boobs! Boobs! And long hair! Girls that can beat up an elk barehanded! And that means there's no chance for a shrimp like you or me! Zero! It'll never ever ever ever happen! Whatever perverted trick you come up with, it won't work! So don't even try it! 'Cus when it backfires I'll be the one laughing at you!"
    Xylia made a face that was somewhere between disgruntled and mocking, with her right eyebrow reaching towards her hairline.

"Haah? Who the hell cares what he's interested in? It's a guy so ya just yank him by the beanstalk and he'll be yer good little meat-pet as long as ya want," the dusky-skinned girl answered. "I mean they might have their own petty little fetishes, but show him the goods and he'll be on ya like hound on a T-Bone steak. Morals and preferred partners can so suck a di---"

A sudden, hostile, chilling glare.

"Xylia. Shut up."

Delivered by a pair of panda-like eyes.

Xeni Techne was leaning against the table with her elbows, her fingers intertwined and steepled, glaring at the two girls on the other side of the table with those piercing blue eyes of hers. At the same time Xandra had finally regained enough of her faculties to start clawing her way out from underneath the table, doing her best to appear that she hadn't just been nigh-strangled-to-death by her buddy. But even she shivered a bit and scooted backwards when she saw how focused the third member of the trio was.

"Your ways. Of humiliation. And degrading. Aren't enough. Plus. They're sick. Thinking guys. As meat. Is because. You're just embarrased. So shut up. Your habits. Are not enough," Xeni started, before shooting the same kind of glare towards Xandra. "Neither are yours. You're an embarrassment. And a pervert. That's the reason. You always fail. Whether it's a girl. Or a guy. And you never. Learn."

Xandra grimaced like she had been slapped across the face and raised her fist in retort.

"H-hey, that's just because girls are cuter! And I haven't met a guy that's a match for me in any shape or form!" The silver-haired girl protested. "So of course I'm going to go for those pretty little morsels instead of some oaf who can't even---"

It was like a blizzard in form of a stare.

"Shut. Up."

Having put the second member of the trio in place, Xeni finally turned her attention to Prushka completely, leaving Xandra a slightly whimpering ball in the corner of the booth. Now that all eyes were more or less on the smallest of the four girls around the table, a devious smirk started spreading on Xeni's face and that machine-gun-like laugh of hers slipped out of her mouth momentarily.

Whatever she was planning... was bad.

There was no way this was going to end well.

Absolutely no way.

"Xylia. You want to prove. Her wrong. Right? Without getting. Laughed at?" Xeni asked, and Xylia nodded carefully, almost fearfully. "Then there's a way. To do it. Much better. Than yours. We'll prove. Her wrong. The right. Way. We'll use the ways. And wisdom. Of legendary. Young Adult novels. And books. For teenage girls. Like Sweet Valley High. And TV Shows. Like Beverly Hills 90210. And The Baby-Sitters Club. In other words."

There was a cracking sound, almost like a bullwhip striking the air, and Xeni Techne pointed her index finger straight at Prushka.

"We'll make that guy."

For the first time, this girl's voice showed actual, true emotion.

"Totally into you!"

For when the topic of romance was involved, there was no bigger monster in this trio than the one known as Xeni Techne!

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Dormitory—Common Room
    Morning Phase
    Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura Tsukioka
    “Oh, no, you're not going anywhere, John Dove!”
    The boy is frozen by the words. Not the tone, nor their source, but the very fact that they were spoken stuns him on the spot.

Sakura leads the pack. Elise Marie and Miss Lockhart both have their hands full with meals for considerably more than three people. It is strange—stranger even that he did not see this coming. John Dove stands there, uncharacteristically dumbfounded, while Sakura invites Miss Min to join them, a portion for the teacher in her hands.

Then she turns towards Jake Briggs—no, she is also talking to him, is she not?

“Here you go, boys, eat up. Since you sacrificed your mornings for us, I figured the least I could do was make enough for you two, too. So no sneaking off on your own, you hear me, John?”
    A part of him wants to complain he is decidedly not “sneaking off”, but seeking to have his breakfast at the main building the way everybody is supposed to. However, he can only look at the offered plate as if he cannot comprehend its very existence.

It is strange. John has already interacted with Sakura Tsukioka. He has a decent grasp of the kind of person she presents herself to be in front of the people at Pinefall. He should know by now that she is the kind of person who would “go the extra mile” as they say. However, John’s mind, not even for a second, conceived the possibility that Sakura would prepare a portion for him. It simply makes no sense: it was at no point proposed in his plan of action, it only made the preparation longer, which could risk the Coastrise siblings’ mood, and it is wasteful use of resources if there is already a buffet available for the students. Nonetheless, the plate with food is there, before his eyes, presented by a Sakura wearing a mischievous smile John will admittedly label “charming”, and a wordless warning as to what the best—and only—choice of action is.

John Dove thus discovers the spectacular, yet somewhat confusing, feeling of experiencing success despite having been completely and utterly defeated.

“Well…” John finally speaks, accepting the plate with slightly stiff arms. The robot-like movements do not match the amusement in his voice. One of them is a façade, but not even John himself might know which.

“…how could the likes of me, a mere mortal, defy the divine authority of a Big Sister?”

This is a lie, his own voice reminds him.

The flashing images of Subaru Iburi and a certain other person stab his mind, the brief remembrance successfully dispelling all other thoughts. In the end, he can only do as he always does. Lies or truths or whatever, the fact (as his senses perceive and his mind acknowledges) remains that he stands there, holding a meal someone else prepared in consideration of him.

“Both Elise and Lockhart here helped, so you better savour every bite or I'll be very cross with you!”
    His mind idly records Sakura’s use of British English—a detail which thus far had eluded him.

“That will not be difficult in the slightest.”

Again, the boy remembers his manners and regards his other two classmates with his gratitude.

“I know you had no reason to be part of this, so I can only thank you for going along with my selfishness and Sakura’s…dedication.”

He considers the two young women: Elise Marie Pelltier and Alexstrasza Lockhart. Two very different types of “beautiful girl”. The former…for all they have talked, ever since the bus trip, he does not really know much about Elise Marie, does he? Talkative as she is, she is also good at keeping to herself. Well, a girl who carefully conceals her color is interesting in her own way. As for the other one, she could not conceal her purest color even if she sincerely tried. Some people simply cannot not shine.

Elise Marie Pelltier and Alexstrasza Lockhart. A good combination, if he is allowed to opinionate. It would be out-of-character to voice it, but a part of him hopes Miss Lockhart one day learns that she can be accepted both for her (perceived) truths and for her (sincere) lies, not in spite of them. And for the sake of everybody at Pinefall, he sincerely wishes Cesarina Feroce returns safe and sound on Monday.

John Dove considers the two girls: the lies they have shown him, and the glimpses of truth he has seen in them. They bring a simple smile to his face. Just like Sakura, and Pyry, and Ubon and Souma and Miss Iburi and Inacio and Colton Davin and Adelaide.

It was, indeed, a good thing to come to Pinefall. So…

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove, to Elise Marie Pelltier (08/09, Evening Phase)
    “…I wouldn’t want anything terrible to happen to you.”
    …one can only hope, or so they say.

“Let us eat, then,” says the boy in the end, his smile concealing the most unsettling concern for boys and girls who by all means should not matter.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"I would never do such a thing. Period. I mean, Little Red Riding Jacket here thinks I'm clueless or something. That I cause misunderstandings wherever I go. Gross overstatement, I say. Plus, as I've come to learn..."

"... her own experience in this sort of stuff is zero. So she has no authority or experience to speak of any of this."
    “...Little Red Riding Jacket? What a horrible nickname. I expected a creative-type like you to do better, you know?”

If anything, the brief chuckle let out by the raven-haired girl seemed to indicate that she was more amused then riled up by Caleb’s comments.

“And it's clearly not an issue of experience, as you so aptly demonstrate.” Anna’s hand moved back and forth as if casually waving away the artist’s comment. “Otherwise you wouldn’t constantly find yourself in these types of situations, right?”

“Indeed, one might have learned something from all those unfortunate encounters.”

"Unlike you, she's quite the kind soul, so I'd rather trust her with a baseball bat than you. Indeed, it's... Hm?
    “Hmm…? Kind soul? Leaving aside how ridiculous that sounds, you sure about that, Highlander? After all, there are tho…”

It was at this point that Caleb seemingly got “inspired” by Lucille and started to seemingly sketch the bat-wielding girl with great gusto, completely forgetting his surroundings and everything else. An almost unbidden sigh escaped Anna’s lips as her hand rose to rub her temple in frustration. Leaving aside the clear misunderstanding that was brewing in the eyes of Sue and the eyepatch-wearing man, Anna herself didn’t really have the time to sit and wait for Caleb’s impromptu sketching session to come to an end.

Oi, Highlander.” Anna’s voice held a clear note of exasperation. “You’re the one who ended up dragging me out here, so I’d rather not have you go all Leonardo da Vinci on me at the moment.”

“I still need to do some reading, remember? I don’t mind you sketching while we walk, but I’m really not going to bother waiting for you while you finish sketching a portrait of someone.”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Cool! Just wait right here, I’ll be back in a jiffy.” Finally hitting the right note, Colt dashed back to his room.

Rummaging through drawers, tossing things around, checking himself in the mirror, grabbing his keys, and at last returning to the dorm entrance in less than two minutes, Colt reappeared wearing his leather jacket.

“Here.” Offering a pair of aviator sunglasses to Adelaide with one hand while twirling his keys with the other, Colt lead her out to his parking spot. “Can’t find the spare pair. And I don’t even own a helmet, so I can’t borrow you one of those, but at the least this’ll keep the bugs from splattin’ in your eyes.”

He flicked a second pair of aviators out of his breast pocket. Through the dark lens he glanced up at the sky overhead, grimacing at the promise of rain yet to come.

“Alright.” Mounting his bike, Colt gave the end of the seat behind him a pat. “Better get going before the rains kicks up again.”

[--------------]

Kicking the stand down, Colt pulled the napkin map from his pocket, double checking his route as he stared at the frontside of the record store. Undoubtedly, this had to be it. He folded the napkin and returned it to his pocket, then stood up. Offering a hand to Adelaide to help her off as well.

But looking at her hair, perhaps what he should have offered her was a brush. Or perhaps the comb he always kept in his inner pocket.

“I thiiiink this is it. If we can’t get ourselves in we can just hop back on the road and head over to the library.” Colt gave the girl a look over, properly, now that he had found his pace and reset his heart rate to something more normal. There was something uncanny about a girl in a dress like that riding a bike like his own, but he couldn’t pin it down as bad. Just clashing, like a rebellious princess riding out without permission with a no-good rascal. “Watch your step.”

He offered her a hand.

A rascal he may be, but no-good, well that’s just not true.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

My throat was getting dry, but I didn’t exactly want to break the flow of the conversation, so instead of ordering something from behind the counter - not to mention that I wasn’t even convinced that they had anything non-alcoholic - I just took my bottle of tea out of my backpack started explaining my reason for my curiosity in-between taking small sips from the tea.

My completely rational, ordinary reasons, at least.

“Well, I’ll possibly be spending quite some time here, so might as well just learn a bit about the place.”

...A place that seems to hold more mysteries than half a continent just on it’s own...

“And listening to things like that from a folklorist of all things is probably more entertaining than asking a common townsfolk or reading about it in a book. Probably more up-to-date, as well.”

But to make a choice, huh...Both the information about the McLampets and the…’Disembodied Man’ might provide to be useful…

Whatever is this ‘Disembodied Man’ though? Isn’t that what Pyry mentioned? If it’s disembodied, then I’d assume that it’s just a spirit taken some form but other than that…

Well, it clearly can’t be anything good, and might be just relevant if it possesses people or something.

But just how much is an ordinary human going to know about it? Probably not more than just a vague, urban legend sort of description, but still…

“Well, you got me,” I said as I shrugged my shoulders, sort of trying to pretend as if I gave in to the temptation of her obvious attempt to get me hooked, “Wouldn’t mind hearing some more about this so called ‘Disembodied Man’.”

“Though, do you actually believe in such a thing?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

I thought I was clear. I thought I had shut down Xylia perfectly with my objectively correct conclusions. I thought this battle was won and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeni
    "We'll make that guy."

"Totally into you!"
    "...!"

So... this is the true danger, huh?

"Xeni... you better not be invoking the works of the great Judy Blume, Lois Lowry, and Beverly Cleary as a joke."

I fold my arms and lean back in my chair, looking at her with as much seriousness as I can muster. This is serious business now, and not a topic where one should tread lightly.

"Look, I don't have any interest in anyone. At all. So it's pointless. There's nothing to prove."

Yes. As I said, it's impossible. I'm not Xylia, with her weird power plays, or Xandra with her constant lust. I'm a sensible person that has no interest in anything romance-related - with a human at least. Though, Pyry's not exactly human... but no, still no! This is no time to be distracted by boys... and girls... wait, no, that's even more forbidden!

"...that said..."

'That said' what?

"Hypothetically..."

Hypothetically!? There is no hypothetical! You shut up right now, Prushka!

And yet my body disobeys, leaning in as if this is some grand conspiracy that must be conducted in whispers.

"...how would you do it without making him a gross pedo or going with Xylia's idea? Hypothetically?"

Surely a bit of curiosity can't hurt...

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi
    [BGM]

“Though, do you actually believe in such a thing?
    Carrie Lakes chuckled into her glass, something slightly off about her voice. It was not the voice of someone who was simply laughing off the idea of this so-called boogeyman of Road's End... but there was also something almost bitter mixed into that voice. Whatever the reason, it was impossible to pinpoint. Maybe the topic itself had something to do with it, maybe this woman had been asked about it many times, or maybe this Disembodied Man himself had...

... Well, no matter.

"Who knows? If you had asked me that before I arrived here, I would have denied it instantly," Carrie spoke softly, taking a swig of her drink. "But now... I'm not so sure. After all, I've read quite a lot. Heard even more. And at some point it becomes less and less important whether or not I believe in it... and what is actually the truth."

Turning her eyes towards Hisa and finishing up her cigarette, stumping it into the ashtray, the older woman adopted a pose most fitting a storyteller - a glass of alcohol in her hand, legs crossed, and leaning against the wooden counter with her elbow.

"The Disembodied Man is an old, old legend of the native people of this area. Klallam tribe, to be more exact. It was encountered many times in the past as tale that warned of something in the woods, that's Ghostwoods now, snatching up the unwary and unwise foreigners and outsiders. A rather typical tale to explain why those inexperienced in the ways of the land would end up missing," Carrie started, speaking in a surprisingly deep voice now. "But in the years to come, the Disembodied Man started to become something else, too. 1947, 1971, 1981... Each of these years there's evidence that people claimed to have seen the figure of a shadowy man in a well-tailored suit in the woods. And each of these years, something has shaken the populace of Road's End to the very core."

Somehow, despite the clock showing that it wasn't even noon yet, the light outside felt dimmer. Flickering electric lighting of the bar itself grew darker, and sounds of wind howling outside died down. Even the jukebox finally quieted itself, last of the LPs sliding back to its slot until someone would slip a coin into the machine once again. It was all a coincidence, of course, and just a mind playing tricks on itself thanks to the topic of discussion Hisa and Carrie now had, but still...

... Something felt a bit eerie in how the environment just almost stopped breathing for this tale.

"1947, there was the seriel murders of most of the remaining Klallam people in Road's End and Howard McLampet acquired the logging rights to the Ghostwood National Forest as a direct consequence. In 1971, the eldest son of that same family, Aaron McLampet, disappeared from the town claiming that someone was out to kill him. In 1981, another member of the McLampet family disappeared, though this time without any sign of skipping the town. Elias McLampet simply... went for a walk in the woods, and he was never seen again," Carrie continued her tale. "Of course, these incidents mean nothing on their own. They might be simply disconnected misfortunes that have been dressed in the same folktale over the years. Same with the mentions of people suffering from nightmares about red skies and missing stars before each of these events. But..."

The expression on Carrie Lakes's face turned a shade darker, no longer carrying any sort of humor in it. Instead she stared at the back wall of the bar with a sort of deep-seated anger on her face - not towards any individual though. It was towards this very tale, and whatever more there was to it that she had yet to say.

"... I've found other things. Eight years ago, when Robert and Paula Mitchell were murdered in the hands of some psychopath wanting to be the next John Haigh, Robert's friend mentioned that they had seen someone in a well-tailored suit, deep in the woods, during one of his hunting trips. This was two weeks before the event itself," Carrie spoke coldly. "Eleven years ago, as told by drunk Avery Walker, she saw a glimpse of that same man in a suit from the window of her car as she drove down the road from Seattle to Road's End. Later that night, she got a call that her husband, who had been serving in Lebanon, had died in a bombing. And in 1960, there was... a suicide. From the top of the lighthouse by End's Beach. 14-year old boy jumped to his death after an unknown incident related to a girl of the same age he was friends with. I recovered the girl's diary from the library up at Owl's Nest Hotel."

At this point, Carrie's knuckles were white thanks to the force she was gripping her glass with.

"According to her, she had met a man in a suit in the Ghostwood forest. A man who proceeded to mock her and inform her that he would take her friend away, forever," she said. "And for the next four days, every night, she saw a nightmare about a red sky without stars. All the way until her friend's suicide."

For some reason, despite it being quite warm inside the bar... it now felt cold.

Prushka

"...how would you do it without making him a gross pedo or going with Xylia's idea? Hypothetically?"
    Almost like a co-conspirator, Xeni Techne leaned forward as well, and soon enough Xandra and Xylia followed suite. Indeed, from where Avery Walker was watching the going-ons of her four little guests, she was treated to a quite sight. All four girls leaning forward, elbows on the table, fingers steepled and staring at each other with gazes most serious. Even the older woman couldn't quite figure out what to make of such a bizarre sight, but since she had heard snippets here and there of the conversation (and how... adolescent... it had turned), the diner-owner decided to let it be. Sometimes it was best not to get involved in some stuff.

Meanwhile, back at the table, Xeni's mouth twisted into a confiden grin as she stared back at Prushka with her deep blue eyes.

"Easy. We distance you. And your body. Separate the two. That way. When he becomes. Totally into you. It's your personality. Your mind. Not your body. For example," Xeni answered and raised one finger. "Letters. We give him. A secret admirer. A pen-pal. If you will. He exchanges letters. Without knowing. It's you. Slowly. But surely. He'll develop. A huge crush. And then. He confesses. At that point. You reveal. It was you. All along."

There was now a hint of something truly devious in the smirk of the sugar-addicted girl that was presenting her masterplan like she had been a diabolical villain from a Saturday morning cartoon.

"That guy. Is already trapped. Even if. He tries to backpedal. Because of your body. You have him. By the heart. After all," Xeni continued. "At which point. He can't refute it. And gives in. To his feelings. Since this time. There wasn't. A subconscious barrier. Because. Of your looks. Just who you were. Under a pseudonym. Or. A fake name. It's not. About bodies connecting. But hearts connecting."

A victorious glint of light flashed in the corner of Xeni's eye as she raised her finger again.

"And best yet. During that time. We can work. On your body. Itself," she proclaimed. "Make it grow. So. When time comes. It'll be easier. For him. To accept. Think of it. As Plan B. But don't worry. Plan A. Is sure to work. After all. All you. Have to do. Is to charm him."

For her part, Xylia looked like she had been sucker-punched by this concoction of a plan, quite unable to believe what she had just heard. Xandra, on the other hand, narrowed her eyes and seemed to give it a good once-over in her mind... and then shook her head in disbelief.

"I don't know if you're a genius or if this nothing but a joke..." the silver-haired girl started.

Immediately she was the next victim of the Furious Blue Glare.

"I never joke," Xeni hissed. "About romance."

Truly a warrior of love.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; July 1st, 2019 at 07:10 PM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

The sudden - and rather weird - change of atmosphere, and the seriousness that came from Carrie got the best of me as well, and I just couldn’t keep the somewhat relaxed, teasing attitude.

I paid close attention to the changes in her expression and all the details she mentioned, and as it came to specific dates, I realized that it would be best to take notes to keep proper track of everything.

Quickly taking my notebook out of my bag, I started scribbling - the same, seemingly nonsensical shapes and words that filled the rest of the pages of the ‘journal’.

As she finished talking, all that was left was a cold, deep silence - and much as I wanted to break this silence, I wasn’t exactly sure what to say just yet. There were many details, much that would need further explanation, but there were some that stood out a lot more…

The haunting nightmares with red, starless skies preceding the strange cases.

The forest, that somehow seems to be involved with all the cases.

A shadowy man in a well-tailored suit...See him in the woods, standing tall.

The creepiness of all this gave me goosebumps for a second, but as I regained my composure I eventually looked back up at the woman.

“That’s...Quite a lot information.”

My throat felt dry, and no amount of tea seemed to help;

Maybe I should actually drink something stronger as well…

“Many that I haven’t even heard about and only few that I’m vaguely aware of. There was...Is, a girl in our class who seems to be interested in the McLampet mystery, though I haven’t seen her in a while, wonder if she is okay…”

As a memory surfaced in my mind, something she said felt to make more sense. Something that could be very important, but could also lead to unwanted circumstances…

I needed to be careful...At least a bit.

Looking back down on my notebook, I flipped to the middle of it and tore out an empty page, and started writing on it as I continued with my explanation to Carrie.

“I sort of heard about someone in the lighthouse as well. A...Err, ghost or something, at the top of the lighthouse. And there was also a person who just mysteriously disappeared. The russian girl that the guy who was here earlier was asking about. Also...”

As I finished writing, I passed the paper on to the woman along with the pen, while probably looking just as stressed out as when I arrived, although for different reasons.

The note:
    "Do you know more about 1981? Or the girl in blue. Write, but talk about something else in the meantime."

In the corner of the page a strange symbol, one just as meaningless as what filled the rest of the notebook from where the page was torn out from.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

I shudder, as Xeni explains her master plan. Goosebumps rise along my back and shoulders. The temperature of the room seems to drop. But even those signs don't prepare me for her words.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeni Techne
    "Easy. We distance you. And your body. Separate the two. That way. When he becomes. Totally into you. It's your personality. Your mind. Not your body. For example, letters. We give him. A secret admirer. A pen-pal. If you will. He exchanges letters. Without knowing. It's you. Slowly. But surely. He'll develop. A huge crush. And then. He confesses. At that point. You reveal. It was you. All along."
    "That..."

"That guy. Is already trapped. Even if. He tries to backpedal. Because of your body. You have him. By the heart. After all. At which point. He can't refute it. And gives in. To his feelings. Since this time. There wasn't. A subconscious barrier. Because. Of your looks. Just who you were. Under a pseudonym. Or. A fake name. It's not. About bodies connecting. But hearts connecting."
    "That's so..."

"And best yet. During that time. We can work. On your body. Itself. Make it grow. So. When time comes. It'll be easier. For him. To accept. Think of it. As Plan B. But don't worry. Plan A. Is sure to work. After all. All you. Have to do. Is to charm him."
    This girl. No, this mad genius. How can a person like her exist? It must be fate that we met here, because...

"That's so romantic!"

Otherwise I may never have felt this light, fluttery feeling, as if my heart could soar into the sky.

"It's perfect! So perfect it's kinda scary! You're a genius, Xeni!"

Just thinking about it, everything makes sense. No, even more than that, it addresses all the problems perfectly! A relationship formed apart, intimate yet distant, without anything annoying getting in the way! A pure love that ought to have been impossible for humans! This plan is so romantic, it might as well be a fairy tale! And in that time, I'll do my best to grow up!

Shouldn't we think this over? asks that small voice in the back of my head. Perhaps there are other factors to consider. A whole bunch of them, actually.

No! In this world, feelings are everything! So if I feel like this right now, then it's definitely not wrong!

"Please teach me your ways, Ms. Techne!"

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

“Cool! Just wait right here, I’ll be back in a jiffy.”

"Sure?"

Colt was off in a flash, and back just as quick, with a leather jacket and aviator glasses for her. Adelaide took them gently, turning them over in her hands. She'd never ridden on a motorcycle before.

“Can’t find the spare pair. And I don’t even own a helmet, so I can’t borrow you one of those, but at the least this’ll keep the bugs from splattin’ in your eyes.”

She grinned.

"Well, thank you."

“Alright. Better get going before the rains kicks up again.”

As they got on the bike, Adelaide slid her arms around Cole's stomach and locked them in place. At least, that's how she'd seen other people do it, so...

That had to be the right thing to do.

[--------------]

“I thiiiink this is it. If we can’t get ourselves in we can just hop back on the road and head over to the library.”

Adelaide ran her fingers through her hair in a vain attempt to get it back in order. That was the problem with twin tails - as long as her hair was, even putting it up didn't help much at the speeds they'd been going.

"That was my first time on a motorcycle..."

She gave Cole a smile as she took his offered hand.

"I liked it."

She looked the record store over critically, especially the condition of the lock and door.

"Well... it's worth a shot."
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries

Colt Davin & Adelaide Cheshire

As it turned out, getting into this former record store was... surprisingly easy. Having followed Tommy's directions, Colt had found the place easily enough, and the old sign that still hung above the wall told that they had indeed come to the right place. The windows were empty of merchandise, of course, and there didn't seem to be much in the way of lights on inside, though some signs of live were still visible. Thus, perhaps encouraged by this and since nobody wanted to go empty-handed, the duo of Colt and Adelaide tried the front door to see if anyone was still home. A knock produced no results, but trying out the doorknob itself revealed that the place was actually unlocked.

But what was revealed inside was something that neither could have been prepared for.

First of all, there was the music.

Blasting from speakers so loudly that it was hard to hear your own thoughts, though somehow the brick walls of the building kept any of it from leaking to outside.

What was even more bizarre than the volume, however, was the style of the song itself.

Patriotism from another country was not something you expected to hear when walking to a (former) record store in a small American town.

Second, of course, was the place itself.

Even though it had been record store in the past, now no traces of that could be seen inside the former shop. Instead the place had adopted the look of some sort of workshop or a garage, with doors leading further into the building being the only reprieve form the otherwise cluttered and almost claustrophobic appearance of the place. Everything smelled of motor oil, gleaming repair instruments shone on the wall and even a brick-like computer, hooked to many wires, whirred and sputtered on one of the tables. Cardboard boxes full of nuts and bolts and assorted mechanical parts were everywhere, stacked in haphazard towers that looked to be teetering on the edge of falling.

Indeed, it was not the type of interior decoration anyone could have expected.

Third, and most important... there was someone in this bizarre place.

Dressed in black-and-bizarre, the young woman standing in the middle of the room rocked on her heels to the tune of the music, waving around an absurd-looking handgun (or was that a toy-gun?) that she moved like she had been directing the military marching band responsible for the melodies echoing in the building. Every move was made with such restrained strength and precision that it was not hard to immediately feel some militaristic fervor in the woman herself. Same with how, as the song rose for the chorus, she slammed her foot against the concrete floor like she had been about to start marching to the tune.

Was... was she the current resident?

"Ah! I have yet to put up even a new sign and already I have some customers! Am wunderbarsten!" The woman suddenly bellowed out so loudly that it rang over the music itself. "The word-of-mouth does truly work, unlike what that bananenbiegerin claimed! Even when a storm approaches, or just because of it, people are interested in my wares and craftswork. Hah! Take that!"

The young woman pumped her fist before spinning around on her heels and jumping to sit on the edge of one the tables, crossing her legs in the process. From there both Colt and Adelaide could see a wild-looking face and clear blue eyes staring intently at the both of them while the militaristic march boomed in the background. This woman was... truly intense-looking. She practically radiated confidence and power in immeasurable amounts.

"Willkommen, Herzlich Willkommen bei mir! Do stop standing in the doorway and come inside!" the woman bellowed out to them. "Come inside and tell me..."

This woman spread her arms, almost like presenting the greatest of workshops in the whole land, and all the treasures inside.

"How can Frauke Wiolant and Thulewerk serve you today?"

It was a question said with such a force, to the ending fanfare of the song, that it was almost impossible not to answer.

New Person Met!
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; July 4th, 2019 at 06:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

“I sort of heard about someone in the lighthouse as well. A...Err, ghost or something, at the top of the lighthouse. And there was also a person who just mysteriously disappeared. The russian girl that the guy who was here earlier was asking about. Also...”
    Carrie Lakes set her glass down on the table and absent-mindedly, almost on an accident, picked up the pen that Hisa had slid alongside the piece of paper. She set the tip of the pen against the paper, but didn't start writing. Instead she let her gaze roam in the room for a bit, stopping especially on the door that led outside and the doorway that led to the gas station proper. And, once she was apparently satisfied, she began to talk.

"A ghost, huh? That sounds like something that crazy old broad Beatrice would talk about. Now, I'm not saying what you heard of is impossible... the longer I've stayed here the likelier the prospect of ghosts has become... but really, I would take anything that fossil of a woman says with a boatload of salt," Carrie answered. "She lives in her own world, inside her own head, and nothing but tales she heard as a child and fairy tales of yore keep her company there. Plus she is a notorious prankster, so if you ever run into her, keep your wits about you."

As the older woman talked, the pen on the paper started moving. It drew lines against the white surface slowly but surely, never making any noise as the folklorist was sure to not appear she was doing anything else but absent-mindedly doodling onto the surface. While Carrie had looked rather questioning at what Hisa had done, one look at the paper had made her face go blank and a neutral expression appear afterwards.

"As for this Russian girl of yours who disappeared... honestly, I have no idea. Like Billie and I told that guy of yours, we've never heard of someone like that. Then again, nobody really knew what sort of people were supposed to arrive to Pinefall. Nobody else but the sheriff, of course. For safety reasons I assume," Carrie continued. "But a mysterious disappearance, huh...? Well, I don't want to jinx it, but you might want to check if some of your classmates has seen nightmares about red, starless skies. With a bad enough luck, maybe the old tale has come back alive again. Another tragedy where the Disembodied Man is the culprit..."

Sighing heavily, Carrie took a hold of her glass again and gulped down rest of the alcohol in one go. As she slammed her glass against the counter, a distant "Yeah, yeah, I'm coming!" could be heard from the gas station proper, said by a rumbling, rough voice of a woman. Apparently the owner of the bar was on her way, finally.

However, at that same moment, Hisa noticed that the piece of paper and the pen were already in front of her. Almost like nothing at all had happened. By drawing attention to something else she had done, Carrie had managed to perfectly get the note back to the scarred girl without even she herself noticing.

She was certainly a woman of many talents...

The Note
    Nothing other than that it was the year Elias McLampet disappeared, leaving young wife effectively a widow. And don't mention the girl in blue to anyone local. People see the elusive, ghost-like daughter of Elias and Josie McLampet as a cursed omen. A girl who cannot venture outside in broad daylight. A vampire, as some say.

Prushka

"Please teach me your ways, Ms. Techne!"
    Xeni Techne nodded, her arms now folded, in that uncharacteristically serious way that had taken hold of the diner booth.

"Fine. I'll teach you. The ways. Of
    sweet adolescence
    true romance.
    Young student," the panda-eyed girl proclaimed with a heavy voice. "First. We need. To craft. Your new persona. Your new self. The name. The looks. How much. Your own personality. You put there. It should be. Not too obvious. But also. Obvious in hindsight. Perhaps. An exaggerated version. Of yourself."

Xeni raised her hand and clenched her fingers into a fist, those vibrant blue eyes of hers locked to those of Prushka. It was like the sugar-addicted girl had found an unexpected ally in her ways of teenage romance and love of books and TV shows discussing such subjects. It was the kind of bond created that Xylia and Xandra could only watch from the sidelines, with slightly awkward and amazed looks on their faces. Nothing had prepared them for this sort of connection to be formed right in front of their eyes, especially considering just how the whole situation had started.

"So tell me. Young student. What sort. Of secret admirer. Will you be? How will you. Approach. This guy?" Xeni asked. "We need details. Detailed as possible. So that. He won't. Be suspicious. Not too special. But not unremarkable. A good balance. With all. Your good sides."

There was a thwipping sound and out of nowhere (in other words, from her bag), Xeni slammed a large notebook on the table along with an array of pencils, both normal and colored. She then slid them over to Prushka with an expectant look on her otherwise emotionless face.

"Let's begin. Who is. Your ideal self? And what is. Her name?" Xeni demanded to know. "The one. That'll capture. The heart. Of this guy!"

... While they would have never admitted it, even Xandra and Xylia were beginning to look somewhat excited about this project.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Right... right!"

So the idea is to invent a mystery person in my place, with all my good sides...

"How about Katyusha? ...no, that's too obvious. It's gotta be something normal, something American. There's not even thirty of us in the school and he knows everyone's names, so no point in being a student. Maybe a local... Amelia. Yeah, Amelia, like the airplane pilot! And we'll be upfront about it being a fake name so it's all mysterious, and he doesn't go looking around for someone that doesn't exist."

Now that I'm trying to think about it, this isn't as easy as it might look. But that's fine! I can solve this problem just fine!

"So Amelia's smart, and perceptive, responsible, and has a strong sense of right and wrong... but she's been stuck in this town all her life, sheltered from the outside world. She'll be really curious. She wants to leave and see the world, but her duties at home force her to stay. She's been bored out of her mind. So when this new guy shows up with the Pinefall kids, she recognizes him from that MMA thing on television. Even though Amelia's like, normally really brave and never afraid to speak her mind, she's too shy to talk to him directly, so she sends a letter instead! Because she's also really ashamed of her appearance and doesn't want be judged by how she looks!"

As I stumble through the idea, it's almost as if it's solidifying in my head. This fake person has gone from a fuzzy silhouette to something almost real. I can imagine this 'Anna' living here, feeling trapped by the small town and wanting to find something new, something different. I scribble it down nearly as fast as my brain spins the story.

"At first, she'd just send a letter as a fan. Asking for advice, confiding in her hero. She's really, really interested in the outside world. Normal stuff, amazing things, awful things, everything! She'll want to hear all of his stories about Finland and traveling the world. So she'll ask him about himself, and share her own thoughts on life. And like that, slowly, over the course of several weeks, they'll grow closer and closer together! Amelia will support him when he's feeling down and scold him when he's done something wrong! Confiding in each other, sharing our feelings... when we're sure that it's time, we'll arrange a meeting and reveal everything!"

I can almost see it, the look on his face.

"Um. I think it's better if there are flaws too, though. Real ones. I know it's a relationship built on a lie, but it'd be best if it's as close to the real thing as possible. That way he'll be talking to a real person instead of some idealized make believe thing that doesn't actually exist. It's no good to create a persona I'll never be able to measure up to."

Right... I'm dragged down to reality, just a bit. This is a lie, after all. Technically, this whole idea is awful. But I'm not some kind of saint, so it's fine to be a bit selfish, right? And it's not like anyone will be harmed. We'll just be sending some letters, and we'll be upfront about as much as we can be. The worse that can happen is Pyry finds out, and I'll have to deal with the embarrassment as he laughs at me. I can handle at least that much!

Yeah, even when deceiving someone, it's best to be true to yourself. Otherwise you'll be building a bridge out of nothing but hot air.
    Last edited by Bloble; July 2nd, 2019 at 10:00 PM.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura
    "O-oh, right, AHAHAHAHA, that! Elizaveta Vyraj! Oh, yes, now I remember who you meant! Yes, yes, John mentioned that girl. S-sorry, it's been a rough day and it completely slipped out of my mind, AHAHAHAHAHA!"
    Deflected. Loudly. As expected of Sakura Tsukioka. You don't remember a thing do you?

"Haha! Of course!" laughed Elise alongside Sakura, "I'm sure it'll all come back to you once you get some coffee, right?"

I'll let you have this one, Sakura.

"Either she has disappeared entirely, or she has been replaced utterly. To search for her is to invite despair, no? What will you find at the end of the tunnel you're walking down?"
    "I don't know what I'll find at the end of the tunnel, but that's the reason I have to walk down it. I might not be happy with what I find there, but I'd be unhappier not knowing what's there," said Elise.

How can anyone be so blasé in the face of a mystery like this?

"Do you really think it's all just a coincidence? That this many people have been invited to a school for those fallen far from the baseline of reality, and one of them just happens to vanish? That people arrive and disappear without so much as a second thought? This isn't a school, Miss Pelltier. Don't tell me you're that dizzyingly naïve. It's an experiment."
    "Now stop it, you're spooking poor Elise here. This school might be a bit weird, but I don't doubt for a minute they're not trying to help us. Mr. Oceandrop didn't seem like the type of gentleman who'd run human experiments or something. If anything, this new environment just has everyone on the edge, that's all... Just give this place a chance, Lockhart. I know things might seem suspicious and there might seem to be enemies around every corner, but as far as I can see... our class is full of good kids, and our teachers are all nice people. I bet there's a lot of people who wouldn't mind being friends with both of you, so why not at least let them try? This is a place for us to try our best in a safe environment, so there's not much to lose, right?"
    Spooking me? Speak for yourself, Sakura.

Travis' riddle and her answer came back to the front of her mind again.

Miskatonic, eh, Travis?

"Well, the Oceandrop Program is an experiment, albeit a benign one. I mean, there's no secret lab for experimenting on students or anything-"

You don't know what's on the second floor of the main building.

"-like that. It's not that kind of experiment, but they've tried their darndest to create such a mundane high school environment to help everyone here reintegrate into mainstream society. They've got to be like documenting and keeping notes on us to measure Drop Distance and all that, otherwise what's the point, right? Plus the Oceandrop Program is intended to be a long term project, and we're only the first class. They must also always be looking at ways to improve things for future students too."

It's an experiment alright, and a very dangerous one at that, but I'd still rather give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they are what they say they are, until I see some serious evidence of sinister intent.

Still, it's somewhat comforting that someone else has thought much the same thoughts as me independently. Makes me feel like I might be a little bit less crazy than I thought I was. Of course, there's also the possibility that Alexstrasza is just as crazy as I am...

"But before that, why don't you two help me carry these to the common room? Don't worry, I made enough for you two as well!"
    The goal of breakfast had at last been achieved.

“Sure thing!” said Elise excitedly as she loaded up on breakfast plates and mugs, "And thank you very much, Sakura!"

She started to follow Sakura towards the kitchen's exit, but paused for a moment, allowing Sakura to roam out of earshot, and shot a conspiratorial glance towards Alexstrasza.

“I'm with you on that. There's a lot more going on at Pinefall under the surface, and this town is way too small for coincidences,” whispered Elise, “That said though, Sakura's right, that's no reason not to make friends here.”

With that, Elise left the kitchen and followed Sakura downstairs to the common room, where she found the three mysterious new arrivals, John, Jake, and the vice-principal, Sae Min. Sae Min and John seemed to be preparing to leave, right up until Sakura roped them into staying for breakfast. Jake, on the other hand, had made himself quite comfortable in one of the chairs.

Going by that, I'm going to guess that the situation has been resolved, and that they're where they're supposed to be, thought Elise, Also, not even the vice-principal can resist Sakura.

Elise handed out the breakfast plates she'd carried down, managing to save one for herself as she retreated to an unoccupied chair with her prize. She took a moment to look around the common room, it being the first time she'd made her way down to it since she arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    “I know you had no reason to be part of this, so I can only thank you for going along with my selfishness and Sakura’s…dedication.”
    “You're welcome!” replied Elise, “Really, I can't complain. I think a lot of us have had a very different morning than we'd anticipated, but it seems to have worked out in the end. Right?”

The new arrivals seem to have been sorted out, and I guess they really are where they're supposed to be, and I got an omelet. All in all, it seems to have worked out I'd say.

She glanced over to the three new arrivals and gave them a short wave, "Hi! I'm Elise, nice to meet you!"

She glanced over to Sae Min, and then back to the new arrivals, "And, ah, welcome aboard, I suppose?"