Page 73 of 244 FirstFirst ... 23636871727374757883123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 10.09.1994 (SAT)
    Weather: Overcast

That wasn’t what she expected at all.

Part of her had expected something more grandiose based off the way Mr. Pinkerton had been talking—but it wasn’t as if this was a terrible find. No, it was definitely good, and Lucille mentally chided herself for her unrealistic expectations. What fate had decided to bless her with today was, without a doubt, quite the boon. The contents would definitely be useful for the investigation at hand… if it was recent enough.

There was a question on her mind, though…

“Thank you very much,” she said, her enthusiasm evident. “But if I may ask… why was this printed? I don’t mean to offend… but does a small town like this need something like a tourism booklet printed out?”

Well, judging by the book’s size, calling it a booklet was the wrong sort of comparison. Even so, that still didn’t change the nature of her question. What was the target audience for this book? Her business sense was practically eating at her thinking about it.

“Then again… I suppose you’re right in that it’s definitely helpful for someone like me,” Lucille said with a laugh.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Vivienne Bianchi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne
    "I am still me. To a certain extent. Not whole... like an empty bottle, apparently with form... but nothing of value inside."
    Zane fell silent after that sentence, staring at Vivienne with an odd expression on his face. While the boy usually took upon a grumpy, stand-offish expression on his face to deflect away from his rather kind personality, now it was completely illegible. Then, after few seconds of silence, he suddenly did something. Zane's arm rose, his hand reached out... and then, without a warning, he gave an encouraging pat on Vivienne's shoulder, along with a crack of a smile that broke through.

"Nothing wrong with that, right? 'Value' is such a subjective thing anyway. Y'know, since it's not like we can give value to ourselves," Zane answered frankly. "None of us value until someone else ascribes some to us... or something like that. Like, we aren't a good friend until someone sees us as one. We aren't good at sports until someone observes we are. So it's not something we should stress about, since there isn't really anything we can do about it!"

Removing his hand, Zane fixed his clothes a bit and pulled up his hood. The reason was clear, since soon enough, a couple of raindroplets could be felt falling from the sky, signaling that sooner or later, the rain would return. The two of them would not probably be able to stand around on the sports field for much longer.

"Besides, it's not like being empty is a bad thing. Far from it," Zane continued, rubbing his nose. "I mean... you can fill something empty with anything you like. Make it just how you'd like it. I... I guess I'd call that 'potential', if there was some word for it."

Though, he immediately punctuated this whole thing with a shrug.

"... Of course, I'm just running my mouth here. Pay it no mind if you don't want."

Lucille Faraday

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “Thank you very much. But if I may ask… why was this printed? I don’t mean to offend… but does a small town like this need something like a tourism booklet printed out? Then again… I suppose you’re right in that it’s definitely helpful for someone like me.”
    Both Sue and Jack exchanged glances, and for a moment, Lucille could see a somewhat troubled look pass by their faces. Then, brushing it aside with a smile, Sue turned back to the blonde girl and gestured towards the book as she started explaining.

"Well... Remington, she... she was a girl who loved this town very much," Sue began, as she pointed at the girl in the cover. "She dreamed of becoming a writer, and wanted her first book to be about this town she grew up in. See, she was adopted by the Hartley family after she lost her family in a house fire. In other words, she had a whole different perspective to Road's End, and always felt thankful to this town that welcomed her with such open arms. Hence... hence this book."

Inspecting the book, Lucille could see that by opening the cover page, on the inside there was another photo. This one monochrome in color, though. It showed the same girl as in the cover, but this time leaning on a rather old-looking motorcycle. She was at the side of the road, and in the background, the unmistakable sight of Big Boy's Gas Sation could be seen. Still... that wild grin of hers was rather infectious.

"Ayup. Remmie was quite the wild child, but she wanted to make others see why she loved Road's End so much," Jack Pinkerton chimed in. "Hah, I remember her telling me off when I was starting the building plans for Spade Queen. She was so loud I think I still have tinnitus in my ear..."

The one-eyed man laughed. Clearly there were no hard feelings there.

"Well, in any event, Remington, she... she wrote that book, pestered a certain hotel owner to help her publish it properly, but then..." Sue continued, and her smile faltered a bit. "... Unfortunately, a small town like this is not that interesting to the people of big cities, like Seattle and such. Luckily we were able to save most of them, instead of the books being thrown away."

"Seriously. And now the books, or at least one of them, gains a new life in helping a new resident!" Jack said with a nod. "I'm sure Remmie would approve."

Still... this past tense that the two spoke of the author with...

--- Well, it told a certain story without either of them saying anything.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

“My apologies,” Lucille said reflexively. “I didn’t mean to intrude on something uncomfortable.”

This was no doubt a sore subject—and it was her mistake for letting curiosity get the best of her. Even if it wasn’t something she could have seen ahead of time, Lucille still felt guilty nonetheless. Making people frown… that’s not what she wanted to do in life, not at all. The best she could do was to show remorse and remember to let sleeping dogs lie.

“I’ll make sure to treasure this then,” she then said, managing to stuff the book and then everything else she bought into her school bag. In the process she’d managed to get another look at Mr. Pinkerton’s business card, stashed in one of the many pouches, and decided that she could possibly make a decision right then and there.

Then she took one look outside the window, at overcast skies, and then slightly changed her plans.

“Ah, before I go… I’m perfectly willing to consider the offer you gave me, Mr. Pinkerton, so I’ll show up either tomorrow or the day after if the weather’s good. There’s just… someone at Pinefall who’s a lot like my m—er, big sister I think I should talk to first.”

Lucille gave the sort of smile that said she’d be there regardless of how the discussion went.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

“My apologies. I didn’t mean to intrude on something uncomfortable. I’ll make sure to treasure this then.”
    Both of the adults shook their heads.

"Nonsense," Jack replied warmly. "We're all proud of what Remmie did, and it's a privilege to hand one of her books to someone who needs it. After all, that's why she wrote the book in the first place. To let others see why she loved this town so much."

Sue Popplewell nodded strongly, reaching out over the counter and patting Lucille on the shoulder in a comforting way.

"Yep! So you have nothing to apologize for, Lucille!" the shop-owner added.

“Ah, before I go… I’m perfectly willing to consider the offer you gave me, Mr. Pinkerton, so I’ll show up either tomorrow or the day after if the weather’s good. There’s just… someone at Pinefall who’s a lot like my m—er, big sister I think I should talk to first.”
    Jack returned Lucille's smile with a grin of his own, and a rather dorky thumbs up.

"Well, you and your sister are very welcome to visit, even if it's just to look around!" the older man replied. "For good kids like you Spade Queen is always open! ... Though you might want to stay away from some of the clients. Not to speak ill of them, but sometimes we have to serve people who I'd rather keep far away from Road's End..."

A somewhat bitter smile passed by Jack Pinkerton's face, and Sue reacted to it with a raised eyebrow of her own.

"For sure. And thanks to that, the locals associate you with those people nowadays too..." she added, before giggling a bit. "... Though your snake-oil salesman act doesn't help with that in the least."

The silver-haired man rolled his one good eye, but couldn't hide the grin on his face.

"Oh, shut it! It's a way to test people! See if they believe in judging a book by their cover!"

These two were definitely an odd pair, and Lucille had definitely gotten to know some rather interesting people... but at the end of the day, it was rather clear that they had both become quite fond of the blond girl. Perhaps it was her natural charm, or perhaps it was her rather straightforward, awkward nature, but she definitely had made a positive impression.

And, well...

There were worse people to befriend than a local shop-owner and the owner of a country club nearby, right?

[SCENE END /// Move to NEXT Phase!]

Lucille Faraday: Friendship Rank Raised!

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---
    Vivienne Bianchi

Phase
    :
    Morning Phase
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Zane
    "Besides, it's not like being empty is a bad thing. Far from it. I mean... you can fill something empty with anything you like. Make it just how you'd like it. I... I guess I'd call that 'potential', if there was some word for it."

"..."

She nodded, most likely acknowledging the wisdom in her senior's words. Yet... it seemed like she was not fully convinced wherever what Zane said could truly be applied here in this case.

"No use... if bottle cannot keep its contents in the first place..."

A drop of water fell from the skies, dripping down onto Vivienne's cheek, no different from a tear. Soon, another came, and then, another once more. A gift from the heavens? To give the illusion of sorrow?

"But maybe I will see... if I can fill with something that cannot go away... what do you think?"

She asked Zane, approaching him, looking at one of his hands that he had burrowed in his pockets. What did she want to do with it, one could wonder?"

Her reaching out, her tentativeness... surely it could mean none other than holding it perhaps? A handshake?

"Maybe.... your food? Someday..."

Did she want to... visit Shane and talk with more further? There was no real telling, for such was the way atypical way of Vivienne Bianchi: to blandly say things while emoting like a puppet to appear as enthused as possible, yet fail miserably at it all.

"But for now... you must go be ready... good food for Anna..."

She drew something else on her book. This time, it seemed like a red hooded stick figure, holding an umbrella for a girl and a younger boi... Zane, his little brother, and Anna? With enough imagination, one could call that picture the one of a child being taken for a walk by their Papa and Mama.

Quite charming, really.

Blog Entries
    Vivienne Bianchi

"No use... if bottle cannot keep its contents in the first place... But maybe I will see... if I can fill with something that cannot go away... what do you think?"
    Zane paused for a moment, hand on his chin and mind clearly deep in thought. Then the redheaded young man simply, and quite frankly, shrugged his shoulders while flashing a momentary smile that clearly tried to be encouraging.

"Well... all you have to is find a cap to that bottle, right?" He suggested. "Something or someone. Or perhaps someone to build a model ship inside that bottle. Then you wouldn't even need a cap."

He snorted in slight amusement at his own words.

"Maybe.... your food? Someday..."
    That seemed to catch the young man a bit off-guard.

He awkwardly scratched his cheek, eyes anywhere but on Vivienne, but eventually relented with a curt and brusque nod.

"W-well... I guess. It's not like I mind people coming over for a dinner," he spoke. "Shane'd be happy that there was more company, too..."

Then, that was... what? Suggestion accepted? At the very least it seemed to indicate that Zane wasn't against the idea of Vivienne visiting his house for a lunch or a dinner. Most likely it was only the matter of arranging the whole thing. But, as things were, at least the quiet girl had been welcomed to visit the Mitchell household.

Still, right now, rain was beginning to fall slightly harder from the sky.

"But for now... you must go be ready... good food for Anna..."
    Zane checked his wristwatch, clicked his tongue, then glanced at the grey sky and nodded. He then looked back... only to pause slightly when he saw the picture that Vivienne presented to him. After staring at it a while, a slow smile spread to the young man's face, and he patted the girl on the shoulder again. This time, however, instead of encouragement, it was meant as a sign of gratitude.

Apparently, Zane had enjoyed this impromptu talk.

"Yeah... you're right. I need to get going," Zane said, pulled his hood deeper, and took a few steps backwards. "Thanks for the talk, and, well... if you ever need to talk more, feel free to visit. Or even if it's just that you're feeling hungry. And have a fun rest of the weekend!"

Having said that, and having waved a curt goodbye, the redhead started dashing towards the parking lot, clearly intending to get to his car before the rain got any worse.

Still... a rather interesting encounter with a youth that was rather wise beyond his years.

Vivienne Bianchi: Friendship Rank Raised!

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

She is...Not being entirely honest, is she? Or maybe it really is just a coincidence. If it really was a dream like that, she could certainly not forget about it.

If I could just take a look...It would be so easy. Memories can’t lie, they don’t need to describe themselves with words, they are pure and straightforward, unless…

Unpleasant flashbacks from the past made me shiver for the fraction of a second, and decided to let this go for now. Even more so because she wasn’t alone. It would have been rude. And so far she’s been the kind of person whom I wouldn’t want to offend by any means.

Not to mention...That it just felt like it would have been unwise to dip into my reserves for now. Who knows just how soon we’ll be getting into trouble…

Still, as Carrie started singing, I managed to tear myself away from the meaningless lamenting over things I had little knowledge about anyways, and focus on her song, and the lyrics...That felt to have a lot more meaning to them than one would expect. That, and the fact that she got the inspiration from that one dream...Makes me wonder if this really is just a fiction, fantasy, without actual meaning.

Especially since it sounded just a bit too much like some certain people I knew. Vague, cryptic clues and riddles that are supposed to lead one towards the solution without giving too much away, and seemingly unimportant pieces of information that might just be too relevant in the correct situation.

Listening to every last word, I took mental note of the whole song...And that I would have to write it down later. Certainly not here, no, she definitely wouldn’t approve of that.

As she finished singing, I thought of clapping for a moment, but...the atmosphere just didn’t feel right for it. And after all, it would have been mostly just out of courtesy - much as I wanted to enjoy her song, I was more occupied with paying attention and memorizing her words.

“Mhm, I can certainly see why everyone likes this song,” I started instead, “even if it’s so mysterious. Thank you, for deciding to sing it for me.”

“Anyways…” I said as I drank the rest of my soda, “Much as I enjoy the company of you two, I think I should get going. I...I had other plans too, and need to meet up with that guy as well.”

Reaching into my pocket, I fished out my purse, and turned towards the towering barkeep.

“Though, I would like to pay for my own and Carrie’s drinks. I did nothing to deserve free drinks, and she was quite a nice company so I would like to at least return some of the favour.”

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Mhm, I can certainly see why everyone likes this song, even if it’s so mysterious. Thank you, for deciding to sing it for me.”
    Carrie Lakes snorted and made a vague gesture with her hand... though judging by how she kept her eyes away from the younger girl, perhaps she was feeling slightly embarrassed thanks to the praise? Well, whatever the case, as grumpy as she looked it was pretty easy to see that the old songstress wasn't nearly as annoyed by the praise as she appeared to be.

"Hm... well, you're welcome, I guess," Carrie grumbled, and took a sip of her drink. "Just don't make a habit of asking for it."

“Anyways… Much as I enjoy the company of you two, I think I should get going. I...I had other plans too, and need to meet up with that guy as well.”
    A wide grin appeared to Billie's face as she put away the guitar, and suddenly that huge hand of hers reached forward and patted the far smaller girl on the shoulder. Even if the bartender was holding back, it was still almost enough to knock the scarred youth over. Still, despite that force... the gesture was clearly meant to encourage her.

"Well, if it's for an important reason like that, guess we'll do without your company!" Billie answered with a bark of a laugh. "You give that boy a good what-for when you finally catch up to him. Can't believe he'd be playing such childish games of keep-away..."

“Though, I would like to pay for my own and Carrie’s drinks. I did nothing to deserve free drinks, and she was quite a nice company so I would like to at least return some of the favour.”
    Well... that took both of the women by surprise.

Carrie Lakes could only stare bug-eyed at the Hisa, while Billie opened her mouth few times, shook her head out of the stupor and then raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Well, sure, if you want to but... you got $25, then? I tell you, she drinks like a fish..."

Again, surprise.

--- After all, that exact amount of money was handed out by Hisa to the bartender.

Thus, while Billie Boulders counted the money, Carrie gave the scarred girl another look... this time one much more focused. Almost as if she was taking a whole another look at the girl. Then, slowly but surely, a ghost of a smile spread to the folklorist's face and she nodded in approval. Perhaps this act had put Hisa squarely in the good books of Carrie Lakes... or Carmen Rivers.

How much those two sides of the woman were the same, well... that remained to be seen.

"Awfully nice of you. Still... I can't complain. My tab here is already big enough as it is," Carrie spoke quietly, before cocking an eyebrow at Hisa. "You know... you're a good kid. Guess it's good that I didn't believe all those rumours spread about your school and its students. Still... do keep an eye out while you're out and about on the town, okay?"

Her expression grew a bit more stern.

After all... she was giving a warning.

"... Some people here tend to be close-minded."

And with that, Hisa Momoi's morning of searching around town came to a close, and soon enough she headed out of the Big Boy's, and into the streets of Road's End. Up above, the grey clouds were slowly starting to release their rain.

It wouldn't be long before the storm would hit...

Hisa Momoi: Friendship Rank Raised!

Blog Entries
    Elaine Winters
    [BGM]

Exactly four rings, that's how long it took.

Then there was the brisk answer of someone lifting the receiver on the other end of the line and a small sound of that same person inhaling some air.

Elaine twirled the cord around one finger absently as she considered how to proceed. How much to reveal, how to get through a possible desk jockey, how to talk to her-

"This is the sheriff's department of Road's End: How can I help you?"

But it seemed like that didn’t really matter, so it was best to proceed with a development path as things moved forward.

It was a voice Elaine recognized immediately. That same, somewhat flighty intonation and a bit carefree, even airheaded way of talking. Even if she had, apparently, changed over the years, it was impossible to mistake that voice.

Looks like the blonde student had called just the right person.

“What up girl, it’s E. I’ve got a little issue on my hands that I thought you’d be interested in!” Elaine hemmed and hawed for a moment, pondering. “So, I’ve adopted another lost child.”

There was a pregnant, surprised pause on the other end of the line.

And then...

"A-another!? It hasn't even been a week and you're... g-gah, wait a second."

A sound of distant fumbling followed, along with a muffled yell of: 'Nothing's wrong, sir! Just taking in a call!'. Johanna Otter must have been covering the receiver end with her hand. Another set of fumbling, and then, speaking in a little more hushed tone, her friend returned to the conversation.

"Err... what sort of 'lost' are we talking about here? Someone you got wrapped up in your... style of business, or an actual, honest-to-God lost kid?" the young woman asked, and Elaine could practically see her nervously playing with the cord in your mind's eye. "I'm not sure how much I can help with the former... we've been kinda busy this week... but if it's the latter, then there should be no problems."

“How rude! I do not simply pick adorable orphan children up off the street like stray cats every week!” Elaine complained, cheeks puffed out in an expression of pure affrontedness

Just every month.

Three weeks at the worst.

Elaine fumed for a few more moments, stamping her foot in embarrassment.

In the background, the blonde could see Kean amusing her little tag-along with the classic coin-behind-an-ear trick, something that the girl seemed to find endlessly fascinating.

"Well, whatever the case, gimme the deets. I'll see what I can do," Johanna said, paused for a moment, and then chuckled. "... Figures that the first call I'd get from you wouldn't be to get coffee and catch up, but to help you out in yet another trouble you've found yourself in."

She sighed, blowing out her agitation in an almost visible cloud, “I’m honestly not sure, she might be just another lost kid, but there’s some stuff about her that’s got me on edge, weird stuff.”

“Back is all scarred up, spinal line, surgical. Doesn’t speak a word of English, best bet from my guy is some kind of Formosan, pre-China Taiwanese talk.”

She sucked at her teeth a bit, “And there’s the fact that she had a hospital gown on.”

The silence was audible for a good five seconds on the other end of the line.

"... A hospital gown, that's... Yeah. If you found her from around here, that points squarely at End's Mercy. But someone speaking only old Taiwanese... can't remember hearing anything like that through the town grapevine," Johanna eventually answered. "Hm... I... I think I can maybe get my hands on some records, but I'd have to do it down low, and, well..."

Judging from how the young woman was speaking in a hushed tone, she clearly didn't want her superior to hear what she was discussing. Of course, considering the subject matter and how possibly serious it was, keeping these things a secret might have been a good idea. Still, seconds ticked on in silence, until the woman on the other end continued.

"Well, don't go getting yourself into too much trouble on my account, I'm the loose cannon here, chief, can't have two mavericks."

Her words were light, belying the weight behind them. Elaine Winters was jocular and affable, and seemingly tone-deaf at times, but when she put her trust in someone, she cared.

Maybe too much sometimes.

"Listen, E, could we meet up somewhere? I know the storm might hits us in the afternoon, but I figure it might be for the best if we talk face-to-face," she suggested. "Let's say... maybe Big Boy's? You know the place?"

"Hm, the local gas 'n bar? I know it, had a bit of a fun time there last night, barkeep's a sweetheart."

She leaned up against the small table the phone sat on, musing to herself about the events at Big Boy's, the thick, ominous presence outside, Anna tumbling through the door, the dancing on the line between two worlds.

"Might have a ride-along, too. Someone I trust, that work out?"

A moment of hesitation, and then...

"W-well... if they're someone you trust, I think it'll be alright. As long as you're not dragging out someone too suspicious with you," Johanna replied, before letting out a quiet 'meep!' and continuing. "T-though speaking of suspicious, I think I better end the call now. Sheriff's giving me this look he always gives me when I use the work-phone for personal calls."

You could practically hear beads of sweat running down her forehead.

"So, uh, let's meet up at Big Boy's, alright? I get off from work around six. See you then!"

And with that, the call ended.

Silence once more returned to the empty faculty lounge and, seeing that the blonde was finally ready, Kean stopped performing cheap magic tricks to amuse their tiny friend and instead turned to face Elaine. A somewhat sarcastic smirk played upon his lips, though judging by how the boy usually acted, it was just his way of deflecting from what he was truly feeling.

In this case, it must have been a hint of surprise along with some gratitude that he would have never admitted to feeling.

"Someone you trust, huh? Well that certainly can't be me, then! Man, and here I had freed up my calendar for the whole weekend just so I could help you out," the boy complained and heaved an exaggerated sigh. "I suppose I'll have to reschedule... again!"

Still snickering sarcastically, Kean nodded towards the doorway while taking the small girl by the hand.

It was time to go.

--- Lot's to do, after all. And the day was just starting.

Elaine Winters: Friendship Rank Raised!

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

"..."

"..."

Adelaide had no idea how this could get any stranger. She had, in no short order:

-Gone off with Colt on an adventure
    -Got distracted at the record store
    -Encountered a crazy person who ran a gun store out of an abandoned shack and dressed like a nazi
    -Had to rip off part of her dress just to move
    -And then...

Well...

There was Dora.

"...Lift that."

There was silence as both Adelaide and Colt looked at the machine, which had partially embedded itself into the floor.

"...Wh-"

Got any pulleys around here?

Adelaide, much like Colt (once she had shrugged off the idea of actually lifting it up, because the attempt would have ripped the arms off of her body) started to turn a more critical eye to the room after the boy had said that, looking around at the various pieces of scrap they could use.

She started towards a pile near Colt.

"I... I think we could pull it off, Colt. If you gave us 14 hours."

She glanced back at Dora.

Surely... the... person standing there could just pull it out of the floor?

"We could rig something... maybe if I connected this chain here... hmm..."

Regardless of her personal feelings, the girl was slowly getting lost in the world of machines once more.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin & Adelaide Cheshire

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Some sort of… yeah, there? Could work. Solo though? No… maybe. Doubtful. Gotta try though. Got any pulleys around here?”
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide
    "I... I think we could pull it off, Colt. If you gave us 14 hours. We could rig something... maybe if I connected this chain here... hmm..."
    The stone-statue-like girl stared at the duo, unfazed and unblinking. Slowly her eyes scanned the surroundings, taking in at the sea of junk like she was trying to determine whether or not there were any pulleys or chains that could work to their advantage. Finally, her head tilting so slowly one could practically hear rusty hinges creaking somewhere in the backgroun, the girl let out a tired (yet somehow emotionless) sigh.

"......... Somewhere," she blurted out, her tiny shoulders rising into a kind of a shrug. "........ But 14 hours........ sounds like a pain....... too slow....."

One of the "hands" moved and sweeped in a gesture towards the spot where the engine had hit the floor. At the same time, it nearly swiped at Colt's head, and the boy could hear the air hum in a dangerous ways thanks to the kinetic energy in the thing. Even with a slow move like that, just the thought getting hit by the hand, well...

... It would not have ended well.

Somehow it brought the mind the image of someone getting hit by a slowly moving I-beam.

".........Want to help........... just collect the spark plugs........" Dora continued in her robotic tone. "........... I'll handle rest........"

Amazingly enough, there was no some emotion on the girl's face. Or rather, she wore a different expression. Emotion itself could just be a mirage caused by that slow shift in facial muscles. In any event, Dora's eyebrows were somewhat furrowed, and her mouth now resembled an upside-down V. It was... it was almost like... she was sulking?

------ Just what was this hybrid between a Batillus-class supertanker and a bunny rabbit?

"........ such pain......... shoulders hurt......... I wanna sleep........"

Now she was whining?

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

"........ But 14 hours........ sounds like a pain....... too slow....."

"Sure, but-"

Adelaide skipped back as Dora's hand almost took Colt's head off. It wasn't fast enough to catch either of them, but... she wouldn't want anyone to be in front of it. It was almost like watching a truck just narrowly avoid you.

".........Want to help........... just collect the spark plugs............... I'll handle rest........"

"Thank you...?"

Adelaide, turning to make sure Colt was okay, had resolved herself to just do what needed to be done and get the engine out of the floor. If the spark plugs helped - and considering that at a glance she was pretty sure Dora could just lift the thing out of the floor - then she'd help out. That was only natural, right?

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"......... Somewhere, ........ But 14 hours........ sounds like a pain....... too slow....."

“That’s definitely not the timeframe we’re looking for here. Instead we c- WHOA!” Hairs on his neck standing on edge, Colt’s head shot down and back to get away from the… hand.

‘Hand.’

".........Want to help........... just collect the spark plugs................... I'll handle rest........"

“Careful there, I’m fragile.”

Too much of a man to admit that he was terrified at the thought of one of those hands colliding with his dome, but enough of a wuss to be terrified at the thought one of those hands colliding with his dome, Colt took the lukewarm approach to venting his abject terror. A light chuckle, and a very, very forced smile. The cold bead of sweat on his forehead might tell the average person that this wasn’t a joke, but something called higher intelligence made the teenager painfully aware that this girl could not be classified as an average person.

“Spark plugs…” So he decided to move on, because with the chilled sweat he was already producing it would do little good to sweat the small stuff. “That’s gonna be…”

He looked at the horrible mess, scanning the piles.

“Lord almighty… why’d you offer to help, Adelaide.”

And shot a grimace at the girl in the ripped dress.

Blog Entries

... As it turned out, searching for spark plugs in a sea of junk was more than a bit hopeless.

But, even so, despite Adelaide's exasperation and Colt's grumbling, the two of them had managed to eventually round up almost all of them, to the point that Dora Landkreuzer (that was apparently her last name) was satisfied too. Of course, it took the both of them some 3 hours to be ready, but hey, they were the ones who had offered to help! At the end of the ordeal both members of the duo were covered in dust, rust, oil and other assorted gunk from the junk, meaning that the next stop should probably be dormitory showers.

Still, even though it had been quite the annoying ordeal...

".......... Mm........ Thanks..............."

When the spark plugs were dropped onto the open, waiting (and huge) palm of Dora, she nodded to both Colt and Adelaide with something akin to a vague hint of the smallest smile on her face. It was not much, but... yeah, it was not much. Indeed, it was actually hard to tell if the girl was truly grateful or not, but at the very least she had verbalized a thank you.

Now her impassive eyes were staring at Colt and Adelaide, unreadable as ever.

"....... You're pretty bad........... at finding stuff........." Dora commented mercilessly. "......... But....... You tried........... That's good......"

So, despite taking such a long time, they had managed to get on her good side?

Maybe?

Perhaps?

"....... Sorry....... Wanted to give something....... In return......." Dora continued, her other hand creeping closer with its huge fingers forming a fist. "......... But only found this........."

The colossus of red metal hovered next to Adelaide's and Colt's head, a fist waiting for either of them to open their palm in return. Still, with a hand that size, whatever that was hidden within could very well be enough to crush the waiting hand, so...

... Was it worth the risk?

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

".......... Mm........ Thanks..............."

"No problem."

Even though it had taken such a long time, maybe, just maybe, it had been a little worth it? Just to see her get more relieved? Well... that's one of the things Adelaide was thinking, anyways. The rest of her, the parts that weren't recognizable under the filth, disagreed.

"....... You're pretty bad........... at finding stuff............ but....... you tried........... that's good......"

"...Thank you."

"....... Sorry....... Wanted to give something....... In return............ But only found this........."

Her hand lay closed before them, and Adelaide tried not to picture whatever it was inside - which could certainly annihilate her hand if it was something like the engine from before - but sometimes, perhaps, such things were worth the risk. And yet...

"Thank you for this, but... if it's something for us, then we should both share it, right?"

She nudged Colt, thankful for his help. The idea of doing it all by herself was not one she was interested in pursuing, so she was glad that the other, stronger boy had been there.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“What’s well begun is half done…”

That was the chant that kept Colt alive through the scavenger hunt from hell. Thirty minutes into the ordeal, after finding his first two spark bolts, he had begun muttering that phrase over and over. Looping it endlessly to keep himself going.

Something other than a pretty girl’s smile needed to get the motivation engine going.

Somehow it had worked.

Three hours later, they had done it. Turning over the last of the spark plugs, Colt let out a sigh of relief.

“I never was the best at finding needles in haystacks, but I did always find the needle. Even if I had to rig up a massive magnet and comb the damn thing like a starvin’ barber workin’ on that tip.”

And answered the prickling critique Dora gave the two.

"....... Sorry....... Wanted to give something....... In return............... But only found this........."

"Thank you for this, but... if it's something for us, then we should both share it, right?"

Colt shot another grimace at Adelaide. His eyes began to narrow, telling her exactly one thing.

I know what you’re doing here.

Slowly he turned back to Dora.

“Well,” and even more slowly, his hand began to reach out, “I’m never one to turn down a reward…”

Shakily, his fingers uncurled, opening up to allow whatever Dora was holding to either fall into his hand, or crush it completely.

This is the last time I ‘go out’ with Adelaide.

As Colt’s eyelids shut to hide from the ‘thank you’ gift, whatever it may be, those were the last thoughts he would have as a man with two functioning hands.

Blog Entries

Plop.

The sound was... surprisingly small.

So was the soft sensation of something metallic falling into Colt's waiting hand.

Instead of being crushed... he simply felt something cold and slightly prickly on his opened palm.

"............. There......... a gift.............."

While Adelaide did see it first, Colt only found out what this supposed "gift" was when he opened his eyes. Luckily enough for the duo, their worst fears had not come true. Instead what rested on the boy's hand was a shard of metal, something slightly sharp on the other edge and quite blunt on the other edge. It was... perhaps a piece from an axe? Or a hatchet? Maybe something sturdy like that? Well, whatever it was, it had a slightly strange bluish tint to it, and light seemed to swirl in patterns on the surface.

At least it was... pretty?

Still, what were they supposed to do with this piece of slightly strange metal?

"......... You better hurry........ Can hear rain........." Dora continued, tilting her head at the two. ".......... Was nice.......... to have help though......... Do come again.........."

The huge metallic things that in no way could be normal hands were moved aside so they wouldn't touch the two, and Dora Landkreuzer walked up to Adelaide and Colt. It was clear that someone like her couldn't really do handshakes. In fact, even waving a short goodbye might have been dangerous. There might have lied a reason and an explanation to what she did next.

Before either of them could really predict it or stop it... the tiny girl softly headbutted both of them to the chest.

First Adelaide.

Then Colt.

It was a surprisingly gentle sensation - something that made them both realize that: "Oh, this thing's alive after all. Not just a piece of metal in disguise."

Then, after that rather surprising showcase of physical contact, Dora retreated a couple of steps and tilted her head at them again.

"............ Bye-bye............."

First the overexuberant and patriotic shop owner in the store above, and now this strange girl in the basement... whatever this place, this Das Thulewerk truly was... it seemed that Adelaide and Colt had accidentally stumbled into somewhere rather fantastic. It was a good thing that both inhabitants had, apparently, taken a liking to them.

Maybe, when returning to here next time, the duo might be able to delve deeper into the mysteries of this workshop.

But for now, they were send on their way with a rather innocent goodbye, and eyes of Dora Landkreuzer that had a hint of gratitude in them.

Adelaide Cheshire & Colt Davin: New Item Acquired!
    Cold Iron Piece
    Rank D
    Piece of crafting material that can be used in either making weapons or ammunition. One piece can be used in crafting one melee weapon or 5 pieces of ammunition.

Adelaide Cheshire: Friendship Rank Raised!

Colt Davin: Friendship Rank Raised!

Blog Entries

Phase: Evening Phase
    Weather: Storm

The storm.

It had arrived.
    Wind howled outside and rain, like lashes from a thousand whips, kept beating at the windows and the walls, creating a downright surreal atmosphere inside the Pinefall High's dormitory. Here, inside, it was calm, dry and almost quiet, but outside... the dreaded storm was doing its best to assault the town of Road's End. Flashes of lightning punctuated the rain and the screaming wind, lighting up the darkening evening in a way that was both mesmerizing and horrifying. Window panes rattled at the force of the wind, giving anyone a good idea why it was not a good idea to be outside at this time. Even the most foolhardy individual would think twice before challenging the wrath of mother nature.But, here, inside the dormitory, things were calm... for now.

Almost all of the students were holed up in the dormitory, some spending time in their own rooms, some in the other facilities. From the looks of it, however, some students had either forgotten the warnings or had desired to sleep elsewhere, since they weren't around. Well, as long as they had found a place where to stay for the night, like Owl's Nest Hotel, they would be find, but braving the rain to get back... especially during the night... it was just asking to get yourself in trouble.

After all, it was not just the violent storm raging outside.

Something in the weather itself felt... foreboding. Dangerous. Dreadful.

Like something terrible was about to happen...

----------- Or maybe it was just your imagination.

Well, whatever the case, you were stuck inside for now, during this horrible storm, and so the question was......

What to do?

At least inside the dormitory, a distant sound of a guitar song echoed from somewhere deep inside the common room...

Known NPC Locations!
    Pinefall High Dormitory - Common Room
    • Inacio Ilusăo
    • Pyry Leijonamieli

Pinefall High Dormitory - Kitchen
    • Gabi Bahkauv
    • Ubon Sĕeklęun
    • Ramia Ramalsaqr

Pinefall High Dormitory - Dining Room
    • Subaru Iburi
    • Mercedes West

Pinefall High Dormitory - Rooms
    • Benito
    • Hwan Bin
    • Minato Coastrise
    • Yeong-Hui Coastrise
    • Zhou Coastrise
    • Travis Gagnon
    • Aleen King
    • Kean Loinnir
    • Caleb Montjoy
    • Souma Nubatama
    • Xylia Pheme
    • Sakura Tsukioka

???
    • Cesarina Feroce
    • Alex Terrot

Last edited by Verg Avesta; September 16th, 2019 at 08:21 AM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Weather: Storm

Stepping into the dormitory, I was glad that I left the gas station when I did. Much as I loved rainy weather, the storm that was brewing above us was not something that I wanted to get caught in outside...Especially not alone.

I wonder if he made it back as well…

But if not...Then what do I even do?

Making it back to my room while lamenting over the past few days, trying to remember every important detail of the things that happened...It started feeling surreal. How did this town even manage to function until now, with all of these things happening?

Or did things get into motion after we got here? What does it have to do with us anyways, and how can all these things be even linked with each other...Even Angie, and that’s something that happened so, so far away from here…

Ahh…

Taking a hot shower felt like redemption - it was almost like the warm water washed away my physical and mental exhaustion as well.

Feeling refreshed and in a new set of clothes, I set out towards the boys’ floor to see if I could find Pyry in his room, but then, passing the common room...The sounds of a guitar, and an oddly familiar snoring filled the air…

My heart started beating a little faster, and I couldn’t tell if I was feeling happy or angry - but, at the very least, he was here…

Entering the common room, I stopped at the door, leaning against the frame with my arms crossed in front of my chest.

“There you are,” I said, loud enough to be heard over Inacio’s guitar, “Finally found you.”

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High School—Entrance
    Evening Phase
    Storm

John Dove has overdone it.

He sits at the very entrance of the school building, witnessing the fury of the grey sky with his usual placid expression, all the while delaying the inevitable. This evening, the sky everybody else is seeing is as grey as the one he sees every single day.

After kitchen cleaning chores with Elise Marie, he went along with that momentum and took care of his bedroom and laundry as well. A short walk followed, to the school’s reference library, to pick up the stuff he left there the previous day when he left on that most interesting trip with Subaru Iburi. Reminding himself that his studying was interrupted the last time he went there, John sat down to catch up on his review of the week’s material. Thus the current situation.

He stands up.

His trusty backpack proved its impermeability (to a degree) the day before, so he worries little for the school materials inside. John glances at the umbrella in his right hand, then at the violent storm mere steps away, then back at the umbrella.

He underlines his mental note to imitate Miss Iburi’s prudence and replace this umbrella with a raincoat as soon as possible. He also reminds himself to stop by Miss Lockhart’s at some point before the end of the day, for the matter of that old-looking leather notebook. He also would like to continue the previous evening’s conversation with Souma Nubatama, but there’s only so much time in a day.

John Dove has no qualms about getting soaked under the rain—that much was made obvious just the previous evening. It is simply a matter of convenience. Being dry is plainly more comfortable than being wet.

The slightest sigh is mercilessly drowned by the torrential rain and howling winds. With no other prelude necessary, John begins the chilling sprint back to the dorms.
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; September 4th, 2019 at 03:47 PM.