Page 194 of 244 FirstFirst ... 94144184189192193194195196199204 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,880 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 09.09.1994 (FRI)
    Weather: Rain

John Dove may only be passingly aware of it, but he stands at a crossroads.

He has two choices here. He can still pretend to be the confused ordinary person, who stumbled on a mysterious event but has no idea what just happened and is frightened by it. On the other hand, he could admit his awareness of the Turnside and engage him within the shared paradigm of the world of numen. However, if he does that…there might not be any turning back.

This would not be a problem if he knew what he wanted. Does he want to step into the Turnside, and seek the mysteries of magic? Does he want to turn his back to the Turnside, and live the rest of his life in the mundane world, away from its supernatural factions, conflicts, and dangers?

He does not know. He truly, honestly does not know. However, he does not have the luxury of time…

“Sweating, you say? Hmm, maybe I am. Maybe it’s just rainwater,” he says while reaching for the towel. “Name’s John Dove. A new student at the local school.”

The current scenario is the natural consequence of his poor choices. This man has seen a hint of his weakness, and latched to it like a lamprey. John cannot afford to give the slightest thing away, or he will lose everything. That is the kind of world the Turnside is. Fortunately, there is room for correction. Even if he is broken, not everything that resulted from that brokenness has been a bad thing. For example, the ability to adjust the “face” he shows to the world according to the circumstances. This is something every human does—like showing only your best sides to a prospective mating partner—, but John’s efforts are a lot more conscious, careful to a clinical (and cynical) level.

“And I sure as hell have a reason to be nervous. Like, think about it, man. I’m trying to be a normal high schooler here, but the whole town is swarming with the Turnside. It’s like somebody wants the World to just, dunno, split the ground and swallow the town whole. It’s fuckin’ insane.”

The man might notice a bit of himself in John’s current timbre, gaze and posture. So would Travis Gagnon, Hwan Bin, and every other jock, rebel, and tough guy John Dove has met in his life. The result is something nearing the uncanny—an archetypal, Platonic “rough teenager” voice.

“And today I’m hanging out with my new classmates, trying to figure which among them are trustworthy, and there’s some dude behind an obfuscating field like nobody’s business. So yeah, pretty fucking nervous here.”

By the end of the short speech, John is properly facing the guy, taking in his (somehow familiar) appearance and analyzing what little he heard of his voice (wielding a somewhat recognizable accent).

“I’m just a guy trying to stay alive in this shithole, man. As far as I know I have no business with you, and I sure would love to keep it like that, but I don’t know who the hell you are. If your business is not my business, then we can go on our merry ways. Or we can trade intel, I dunno. I dun’ care.”

John cannot project power, for he has none of it, but he sure as hell can project both confidence and disinterest, even if neither of them are real. Perhaps precisely because neither is real.

“So? To whom do I owe the pleasure?”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura the Doll
    “W-we can watch but it’s not like we can do anything if he decides to do anything funny.”
    The doll seemed displeased that I suggested that it could watch the guy below us by herself.

“Don’t worry I wasn’t asking you to do anything if he started doing unusual things. Well maybe get me, but that’s it. I’m not going to ask anyone to just throw away their life needlessly.”

“More importantly, it was a possibility that Fyrtio was ‘looping’ like us too. In which case, it was likely that she might not visit the same location again. On the other hand, we have never seen this guy. Maybe Fyrtio’s presence just scared him off last time? Or maybe he is ‘looping’ too?”
    I take a quick moment to think about how to respond.

“...You could say I wanted to personally confirm it. If Fyrtio is who I think she is… I know the reason why she’s able to remember like us. But if I found her here, then there’s a good possibility that I’ve just merely mistaken her. After all, it’s not too often you meet someone with her ability...”

I didn’t elaborate further about what her ability was. Because I’m well aware of how some people would attempt to capture her just for such an ability. The only way I would reveal that ability would be if I had her permission or… I needed help to stop her. Either way, I don’t need to reveal it.

“As for him, if I go off the assumption that looping is a fairly limited phenomenon… The theory that he was scared off by the gunshot that you heard seems plausible… Which means we’re causing the butterfly effect since everyone is making drastically different decisions. After all, there wasn’t a gunshot or the smell of gunpowder this time. Your decent sized group isn’t here. This time, I came in quietly through a broken window...”

And this is why I wanted to try and keep my actions as close to the original as possible. Because right now, there wasn’t a way to predict the future off of previous events. As far as I am aware, we never had a hospital mission.

“Do you want me to talk to him? It would let you remain hidden, in case something happens. Though, I suppose, watching is an option too.”
    “Only if you’re willing to do it. I’ll keep watch over you in case he does anything funny… And I’ll consider approaching if everything seems fine. Otherwise, I’m satisfied just watching him for now. ”

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“I gave that some thought already, yeah,” I nodded at Sakura, “Mind you, I’m mostly just generalizing, since I only have a vague idea of what you can probably do. At any rate…”

Once again, I nodded towards Sakura with my head;

“You’re probably the best at actually hiding your presence, which would make you the best candidate for spying on the interview and keeping an eye on the maid and the reporter. You’re also likely better at disguising yourself making your escape...or moving around in general, so even if you were to be seen, we likely wouldn’t be in too much trouble.”

Then, I gestured towards Pyry, and after a moment of hesitation, Gradient;

“Pyry is quite good at sneaking around as well...although I feel he is not best suited for indoors. He is big, and past his natural talent he can’t do much to hide himself, so being constrained into small rooms and corridors likely does not play to his advantage. Which is why I thought that he and Gradient would be the most suitable for exploring the perimeter or the manor, and act as the quick response team, in case either of us needs help inside.”

And finally, pointed at myself;

“Meanwhile...I’m pretty good at hiding, though likely not as good as you. I have some tools to map things around myself though, which means I should be able to find us an entry point, and explore the mansion without having to check every nook and cranny. Depends on how big this mansion actually is, really…”

Of course, having my dolls would have been an invaluable extra asset here, but since I agreed to assist Vier…

“Other than that, I should be able to act as a centre for communications. Should be easy enough with Pyry, and subsequently Gradient, and in your case…”

After a moment of consideration, I reached into my backpack, and after fidgeting around for a bit, pulled out one of my syringes.

I’ve been way too generous with these, haven’t I?

“This should let you contact me whenever,” I said as I handed it over to Sakura, “Since we’ll be quite close to each other, the connection should be fairly clean. However, it’s a single use, so if the channel breaks for some reason, well…”

It certainly didn’t need explaining.

“Not that I expect things to go wrong. I’m certain that I’m just overthinking things, really.”

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

She makes room for Mercedes. The other girl probably needs the sheets more than she does. That, and it's probably difficult to get some rest next to a terrible sleeper like herself. If Mercedes is afraid of seeing nightmares, she is not going to enjoy seeing the aftermath of whatever arduous sleep Lucille has.

Lucille wonders if she should wait for Mercedes to fall asleep and then move to a chair or something. She doesn’t want to disturb her, after all. It’d be hard to move now, so she might as well stay lying down.

Still, her mind wanders to earlier this morning. Was this really the right thing to do? Isn’t there some way she can shield others from the situation?

There is Aleen, there is Mercedes, and both times, it was already too late to do anything. Her way of thinking is wishful and unrealistic. If she is supposed to protect them, it is while they are under the line of fire. And the best way to do that is to be at their side.

With a tired sigh escaping her lips, she waits for Mercedes to fall asleep.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Alrighty then. Once I’m done out there I’ll head over and pick you back up,” Colt turned from the blonde to the smiling doctor. “And when I get back I’ll have something to cover for the treatment.”

At the same time Cathie stood up and began getting herself dressed to go.

"Well, I guess if you two are headed out together to that nest of snakes, you got all you need. Both the person who knows where it is and one with a bike. So, uh... I suppose you won't be needing me for this trip."

The boy glanced over to her, looking confused.

“Uh, hold up.” Colt stood up and walked over to Cathie. “I get it if you don’t wanna go, I mean, I can tell you’ve got something less than love for the place. But you’re not planning to walk home in the rain, are you?”

He tilted his head at her.

Was she just the awkward type, underneath it all?

“I thought it was a given I’d at least be giving you a ride home. I mean, well, riding a bike in the rain can be plum torture if the weather’s bad enough.” Colt pulled his keys out of his pocket. “But it beats walking home alone in the rain any day of the week.”

He gave the keys a twirl.

“Actually, as long as I don’t fly down these little roads at 70 like some kinda lunatic it won’t even be that bad. Come on, I’ll take you home. And on the way there if you change your mind about coming along, we can make it a pit stop.” He gave the girl a grin. “I mean, if it’s such a posh, stiff place you’d wanna change, right?”

So saying, he glanced at himself.

“Probably goes for me too, I reckon…”

His voice trailed off at that. But before Cathie could protest or offer a response, Colt turned over to Liana.

“Sorry, gonna have to decline the offer. I’ve gotta at least take Cathie home. But I guess I’ll see you there?”

Elaine Winters

More freedom than normal?

My brows knitted together.

So it allows him to, what, temporarily see all of what's going on? He's not part of the loop, but this lets him see a part of it, I suppose?

So did what he saw in that cave he mentioned let him do this?

Participate in these strange circumstances?

This repeating of events?

Hm.

I folded my arms, considering.

So there was a 'cuckoo' among us, but even they themselves may not be properly aware of what they are, but if they were not here, events would be different.

Speaking with the voice of another.

The reason for everything.

Cannot be found by normal means.

This map of the Klallam, the one that lays it all out, it's needed to discern its past. Not the first.

Use the nightmare to your advantage...

My frown deepened, and my arm throbbed in memory.

When the chessboard is reset, but only for the enemy...

Is it aware of this recursion? Does it know that we are recurring?

Use what's already happened to see through what even they believe.

The bus was supposed to be full.

Someone is here that wasn't there.

I scrunched up my nose, thinking back.

30 people on the bus.

One of them was Ms. Leuzinger.

29 Students.

We were two to each section, 18 sections, 4 seats in each row.

36 seats to account for.

Leuzinger was intended to sit alone.

34 seats.

29 students.

5 left.

Missing students.

I frowned.

"Those Coastrises, if they're taken at their word, account for three. Then, there's the curious case of that gremlin and the now vanished Elizaveta..."

So if they are both 'intended', then there is one last seat.

But it is someone I have not seen.

How could they hide among us if they do not linger with us, as any other student.

Hm.

I need that roster.

Perhaps it'll help.

'Find them all'.

I scratched at my head.

"Feh, all it takes is a miracle, huh."

I glanced up at the sky, at the single ray shining down.

"Guess I, or, well, we got to find it, then."

It was as simple as that.

If a miracle was needed, one would be found.

"No pressure."

Just horrible death and doing this again if we fuck up.

I sighed.

"Man, this homework's a pain in the ass," I grumped, "Skip class one time and now you gotta deal with all this bull, rest of those chickens all ran off."

Well, whatever.

It is what it is.

"Welp, nothin' to it, then. It's a mystery to solve, and I'm on the case."

Sheesh.

Find your brother, deal with this girl's weirdness, break into the hospital, kill an unfathomably old vampire for good...

And now deal with whatever horrible thing is trapping you in an endless recursion of events, and even it might not know what it is.

When it rains it pours.

I cast an eye around again.

Well, except for right now, I suppose.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

I peer at the photos. A bunch of adults.

"Hm... you've got a point, Ahti. They do all look sorta shifty. Now let's see here... two researchers with links to the Air Force, and one whose company takes AMADEUS contracts... normally it's hard to pull even one of those reclusive scientists out of their labs and into the field. To get three of them here means there's a finding so tantalizing they just had to be there personally."

But it's not just those three, is it?

"To get even more would be a miracle. Which might be just what you have on your plate, Xandra. Gottlieb Pharmaceutical. DDS. Mr. Watanabe, links to Montauk Air Force Base. The Philadelphia Experiment. Vivi mentioned a Doctor Satel... and more names. Pinkerton. Feroce, the weapons manufacturers. West. Barret. Halloway. Fairchild Air Force Base, Spokane... that's even more links to the Air Force. If you count the HAARP they're building in Alaska, we've got Road's End in the middle of a nice triangle of bases."

Hm. All these names, and yet I don't recognize the significance of most of them. There are clear links to some of our classmates, but...

I sigh, pulling away.

"Sorry. I couldn't tell you who these people are. Discovery and Challenger might have something to do with the Devil's Dishes; they'd certainly be able to decipher that computer jargon we saw. As for Kampff... maybe he's at the hospital? Could look up his name when I go there tonight. Other than that, I got nothing. Don't exactly keep up with the scientific journals. You'd need to be a real geek to have all those names memorized-."

Something freezes. Or rather, a crack resounds through my mind. A gear, which had been still all this time, suddenly turns. Something shifts, and a thought is brought to the forefront.

There is someone. An awful human fitting that exact description.

"...Xandra. Would you happen to have a phone with you? Or a computer?"

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

"Wouldn't it break the Hippocratic oath to hobble a patient?"

Raising a single eyebrow at her aunt at her (somewhat scary) implied threat, the violet-eyed girl ultimately seems to take it in good humor, an amused smile accompanying the mostly meaningless question...

Yes.

It's relatively meaningless, the threat of bad outcomes is why one typically does not make casual deals with fae-! Of course, the older woman clearly sees this group -or at least Colt- as something to play with, finding amusement in how they reacted to being poked and prodded, and well...

---Getting on her case about it too much would just be hypocritical...

Hadn't she just been doing something similar to Tris?

Still cute...

---People's reactions to things were just really fun to watch...!

Still, as she jokingly pokes at an aunt that knows full well they both know Colt isn't going to get out of this without paying something eventually, Cathie rises, seemingly preparing to leave, travel home through the pouring rain, and...

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Sorry, gonna have to decline the offer. I’ve gotta at least take Cathie home. But I guess I’ll see you there?”
    "Yeah, probably."

---Ultimately, she smiles at his decision; she hadn't thought too much about it herself, but leaving a maiden to walk home alone wouldn't have been very Knight-like of her, and not very gentlemanly of him, so...

Taking her home was the right call.

---A part of her did want to see this bike of his (maybe see if she could talk him into letting her drive it around a bit) but she could make her way to the club on her own, she'd been planning to do so anyway, so it's not too big a deal...

"I've got some business there, might be hanging around all night, so you'll probably see me."

Her eyes close for a moment, then:

"Oh, but I made a lot of cookies, so you two should take some of them with you okay? And drive slow, it's raining, last thing you want to do is slide..."

She'd save some for Thorne of course, oh, and a few for Sierra too... It was Friday, so if her father was at all reasonable she'd be able to stay up a bit past the usual bedtime right?

She'd wanted to try to get a more pleasant sort of flower for the garden for her, but with the rain and the current circumstances, well...

Cookies would have to do.

As for Dorothy, well...

"And Auntie, I might be back later on tonight... Can't say for sure, but if I don't make it tonight I'll be back tomorrow. Gotta finish up that storage room of yours... If you liked the tea, there should still be some in the kitchen, oh, and I made sure to wash all the dishes already~"

She smiles, then-

"Oh, and remember to lock the doors after we go. All the doors."

-continues with this almost mother-hen like behavior towards everyone...
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier

"Yes, that is the true horror of prophecies..."

With a somber voice, Subaru turned her eyes to the heavens, where the rain fell incessant.

"... We only learn of their magnitude and their power in hindsight. Ergo, when it is too late."

The atmosphere behind the school changed. The pine trees slowly swayed in the wind, and the coldness of that breeze picked up. In her arms, Elise could feel Tonkori suddenly perk up, as if shedding its playful mood and standing in attention. The dog switched her gaze from the brunette to her own, and stayed quiet, as if waiting. Subaru, on the other hand, simply stared up to the skies, slowly reaching towards it with her hand. It was like she was trying to catch the droplets of rain, slowly, ever so slowly, closing her hand into a fist and holding it there.

What had she really caught? The rain? Something else from the heavens?

The wind itself?

"--- A prophecy unfulfilled is naught but a nightmare, Child of Man. Something that verily may have happened once upon another world, another time, but which was denied in this reality of ours. Thus it is but a fleeting reflection of a possibility that could be and naught more - yet enough to give our dreams a fright and strike paranoia in our little hearts," Subaru suddenly spoke up, an odd sort of gravitas and pomp to her voice. "A prophecy that has come to pass can naught be changed again, and thus we can only learn from it, gaze back in our history and think of the things said and things done, woefully short-sighted as we were back when it was truly happening. 'Tis only from the future whence we may gain understanding of such a foretold sequence of events."

Pulling down her hood, Subaru let the rain fall upon her head. It was like she was refreshing herself, letting herself be purified, and taking in the holy water raining down from the heavens. And in that strange atmosphere, looking the same but acting very much unlike the girl Elise had been talking to, she turned around - slowly - and leveled her solemn gaze upon the brunette.

Those eyes were like mirror-sheen pools that saw nothing. Eyes that had glassed over, and instead spoke of something else...

... Something inhuman.

Or perhaps, something dangerous.

"But what of the prophecy that should be coming true. The prophecy where all the pieces are in place yet something is amiss? What of the prophecy that we are living right now?" Subaru continued, her clear voice ringing through the woods. "What if what you need is to change your perspective, Child of Man? What if it is not that the prophecy has somehow fallen astray even though everything has been prepared for it to come true? What if... that prophecy has already been fulfilled? What if it is already underway, and you simply do not realize it? What if it is not the prophecy who is wrong... but you are, Child of Man?"

An enigmatic smile floated onto the girl's face.

"--- Mayhaps you need a perspective akin to the Child of Gods to consider such a possibility?"

John Dove

"Hm... so I was right."

The man narrowed his eyes at John.

"You are part of the Turnside."

So, he hadn't been sure after all? That had been just a test to see if John would react to the key phrases the man had dropped? Admittedly, he didn't give an aura of a person who exactly laid those sorts of verbal traps, but then again... looks could be deceiving. Just like John Dove might have appeared normal on the outside, this man might have appeared like a regular thug on the first glance. But judging from how he had approached this situation, there was at least certain type of cunning intelligence within him. So the question became...

.. How would he proceed?

"Still... I see. A student. Right. Not a threat, then," the man continued, still watching John's movements. "Or could be. Hard to say at this point. But... you're snarling the proper way. Or is that an act? Curious..."

Slowly, he set his hand on the lock of the bathroom, as if readying himself to open it back up - depending on John's answers. So far, he didn't seem too on the edge - not to the point of starting a fight out of nowhere at least.

"... Understandable though. Paranoia settles in quick. That being said... when it comes to me, I'm just being careful. Yah, can never be too careful," the man said, as if to make a point. "My aura... bothers people. So I stay hidden. Thus, if someone sees through me... it makes me paranoid in turn. So, I have to assess you. Who you are. What you are after. Are you a threat. Those sorts of things."

A ghost of a smile, a slightly sarcastic one, floated onto his lips.

"... But you wanted a name? Yah, we can start there," he spoke, that Minnesota-accent creeping into his voice once more. "The name's Isaiah. Isaiah Kincaid."

He snorted.

"But you can call me Isaac."

New Being Met!

Hisa Momoi

Sakura took the syringe, eyeing it curiously.

"Hmm... I suppose the Turnside never ceases to amaze me. Are those Odic Particles floating inside?" Sakura asked, before leveling a smirk towards Hisa and a raised eyebrow. "You've got quite the gadgets yourself, huh? Definitely not just a normal Nancy Drew, like Mercedes said."

Gradient, upon hearing that, grinned widely and let out an agreeing "Muu~!", as if praising her friend. Even Pyry chuckled a little bit at that.

"Still, are you sure? I figured the interview was your initial target, and if we move through - say - roof, it shouldn't be too hard to stay hidden even if you can't hide your physical form. The houses around here love their attics, so those are always a good choice as well," Sakura continued with a question. "I'm a decent enough climber and have a few 'special' climbing wires that I can attach to help you get up. So if you're worried about that don't be... though, on the other hand, I agree with making Pyry and Gradient here our quick response squad."

Sakura chuckled and shot Pyry a teasing look.

"No hard feelings, big guy, but with your size even an attic won't be enough to hide you."

Pyry took the jab in stride and just laughed in response, nodding.

"Yeah, I getcha. Plus, Hisa's right. I move much better outside, so leave the perimeter and the grounds for us two. And if need be, I can just bust in and get you both out of there in no time flat," he replied. "A plan like that plays more to my strengths, too."

With that, Sakura turned back to Hisa.

"So... what do you think? I don't mind giving you the play-by-play about what happens at the interview, but there's advantages in moving as two two-man groups," she asked. "Still, this is your plan, so I'm fine with going with whichever option. I'm just here to lend my expertise, after all."

Elaine Winters

A quiet chuckle escaped Mr. Oceandrop's lips.

"... Yes, I know. It's an awful lot of homework. But, I believe in my students. I know that if it's you lot, you can get it done," he spoke with utmost faith. "It's up to you now... for it's a race against time. Schemes within schemes, and not all of them good. I... should know. I know I should. But I don't. It's this... existence that I am right now, teetering on the edge of what I am and what I am not. Or perhaps I am both?"

Letting go of Elaine's shoulder, he momentarily hovered his hand there, as if trying to decide something... and then finally simply went ahead and ruffled her hair. Plainly, gently, reassuringly. In a way an adult would to a child. Just a simple gesture that said "It's going to be fine. You're going to be fine." Just a simple gesture loaded with those feelings, and his faith in the girl who stood before him. No, not just her... all the other students as well.

Oceandrop's faith in them was unwavering.

"I suppose that's why she called me that... Elizaveta always had a knack for nicknames..."

With another laugh, this time much more somber, the principal let go of Elaine and started taking steps back. One, after another, heading slowly, backwards, towards the edge of the overlook.

Towards the long drop down.

"--- The Man-In-Between. That's what she called me."

The laughter on his lips died, and the stern, serious look reappeared.

"... Do you know of the cat in the box, Winters? What does decide its fate, in the end? In what state is it in before the box opens? Walking through the valley of the shadow of death... yet always immutable, always changing, always elusive and always mysterious. It's like that. So, there's no need to panic. While it might be presumptious of me to say, there's no need to grieve for me. When the chessboard is reset, I'll be back. Right there, in my office, same as ever. And it all begins again," he said. "So just keep your head up, keep eyes eyes ahead, and don't lose sight of your goal. The path out of this nightmare is somewhere... I promise that. Just as I promise that you can find it. As much as I hate to say it... it's all up to you lot now. Everything. Consider it my last homework. And, heh, the first."

With that, Oceandrop turned his gaze to the skies, where the single ray of sun shone through the rain.

And as he did, he spread his hands, and spoke... with a booming voice that resonated with the silence of the Ghostwood.

"A man who came here from the woods

A shout of a silver fall

In the house of amber light

It sees us all

Break away from within that Eye

Escape from the umbra sea

The Mad whispers it again:

Stars, fall for me!"

And as he spoke, Elaine could see it.

--- The form of Mr. Oceandrop started turning transparent, fading away just like the sound of his wristwatch.

Prushka
    Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "...Xandra. Would you happen to have a phone with you? Or a computer?"
    The silver-haired girl snorted.

"Out here? In this shack? Yeaaah, sorry. No luck there. I came here 'incognito' so to speak, didn't bring much else than my personal communicator - and that's just a two-way street between me and a few guys in Seattle," Xandra replied with a shrug. "We'd have to hit some sort of local radio club or something if you wanna go that route... or just use one of the few public phones around that actually work. Most of them are busted."

Ahti, hearing that, grunted and looked at Prushka with a raised eyebrow.

"Wasn't there a room in that school of yours with lots of computers? Can't you use that?" he asked. "... Well, that or a phone. I'd imagine they'd have a phone there too."

Xandra let out a snort.

"It doesn't exactly sound like the type of call you'd wanna make with teachers breathing down your neck, right?" She replied, before glancing over to Prushka. "Still... what's up? Did someone come to mind who'd know more about this stuff? If so, let's get this show on the road. I mean, I've been mulling over how to get more info on them myself, so any lead's golden right now. More helpful than going over the same stuff over and over with Mr. Abs-of-Steel over there, or cozying up with him like you are."

The girl let out a snicker, only for Ahti to throw her a confused gaze.

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean?"

Xandra just laughed again.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin & Liana Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Liana
    "Oh, and remember to lock the doors after we go. All the doors."
    Dr. Canseliet rolled her eyes, but she was still smiling - a bit more warmly than her usual enigmatic Cheshire Cat-esque grin.

"Sure, sure... I suppose I'll have to do that since I've got a patient now. Her knight-in-shining-armor over there would probably get cross with me if I'd let anything happen to her while he was gone," Dorothy said and glanced teasingly at Colt. "And do take care you three. The Country Club is a dangerous place, in many ways, and the shadows there are long. And if you see someone watching you from the Ghostwoods, pay it no mind and act like you don't even notice. That's the best course of action, yes..."

There was something ominous in what she said, and not just because of the contents. After all, normally it would have just sounded like your typical cryptic warning, or perhaps a bit more teasing from a fae. But her tone of voice... Dorothy Canseliet seemed perfectly serious when she said that. She truly meant that they should keep an eye out if they ever felt watched by the forest - or something in it.

And the fact that she could say something like that with a smile was disturbing enough.

Cathie, on the other hand, had not really listened to the warning. Instead she stared at Colt with a bit of a dumbfounded expression... and then let out a tiny humph and folded her arms. For some reason a bit of an annoyed look had appeared on her face, but at the same time, she didn't truly look angry. Just a bit miffed, and not at Colt especially... more like regarding the situation.

"W-well, I didn't mean that I wouldn't want to go. I just figured that since Liana here had been there before, it's not like you needed me or anything, right?" The redhead responded. "Your bike only fits two anyways, right? So won't you be making her walk in the rain like this, even though you're headed to the same place? Psh... This is why you're such a hick, you don't even think these things through, y'know."

Even though she was again badmouthing the boy, there wasn't really any harshness to those words... and the way she kept twirling a lock of hair around her finger certainly didn't look angry.

"But if you actually wanted me to tag along, I guess I can chaperone you. Hmph, it's not like I have anything better to do this evening," Cathie continued, rocking back and forth on her heels. "So yeah, uh, that is... if you need me there with you, or whatever."

--- It almost felt like she was going in verbal circles.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Wait wait wait, but she offered to take me,” Colt’s eyes went from Cathie to Liana, then back to Cathie, then back to Liana. The most dumbfounded of all was Colt, who barely registered the warning of Doctor Canseliet. “Liana… you… you do have a ride, right?”

He asked the question hesitantly, nervously.

Please say yes.

He kept in his request to the mysterious girl.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"A-Abs of-!"

Well. It's a good nickname. Very accurate too - don't look! Do not look, Prushka! His eyes are up there!

"I-I'm not cozying up to him or anything! He's just, uh, my patient! That's all! I'm making sure he doesn't get himself killed!"

Right! That's all! Without me, Ahti would run off and challenge some scary monster to a fight, one hundred percent! He'd probably end up tussling with Mr. Currumpaw or something. And now there's Pyry to worry about too...

"E-either way, I know a guy who might know a few things. But he's back home in California," I reply, making sure to keep my eyes averted. In fact, I stand up from the bed, facing away from Ahti just to be sure. I'll just stare at Xandra's chest instead! It's easy because she doesn't have one. "Those government scientist types tend to read each other's work, frequent the same bulletin boards, carbon copy on emails, that sorta stuff. It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but with so many targets something might land."

Plus, it's been a while. Funny, that I'd actually start to miss those awful humans from back home.

"Definitely wouldn't feel comfortable using one of the school phones or computers either. They're probably tapped. So it'll have to be one of the street phones, if there's one that still works."

It might involve a bit of traveling around town. But that's fine. Because Xandra's got her motorbike, Ahti has his legs, and I...

Well, I have a dragon that's aching to be let out of its cage.

"...alright. Let's own these streets."

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

Pretend not to notice?

---It's the tone that makes her take it to heart.

Different from the teasing, a seriousness that made her focus in on the words, words that hint at an entity that she had been thinking about earlier that very day, across the table from an FBI Agent, of a disembodied man in a suit...

---Well, she would've taken it seriously anyway.

This was the first real bit of maternal affection she had gotten from the woman since yesterday, a bit of concern, a sign that she actually did care-!

"Got it Auntie, ignore any weirdos in the forest~"

She has to resist the urge to try to hug her.

...Not yet.

As for Colt, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Wait wait wait, but she offered to take me,” Colt’s eyes went from Cathie to Liana, then back to Cathie, then back to Liana. The most dumbfounded of all was Colt, who barely registered the warning of Doctor Canseliet. “Liana… you… you do have a ride, right?”
    "Of course."

She smiles.

An enigmatic smile, tinged with what seemed like amusement...?

She did of course, her precious skateboard was here, the greatest vehicle of all; it had been waterproofed in it's initial construction, and could maybe get her to the Club out of sheer grit and determination, but...

"But if you're curious as to what it is, well, a girl has to keep some secrets~"

She winks.

"For all you know, maybe I planned on carrying you there myself? Piggyback?"

A step closer.

"Princess carry?"

She holds the mysterious smile for awhile there, staring the boy down in a teasing way, then...

"But if you're worried about me don't be, I'll get there just fine~"

The Solar Wind wouldn't let her down-!

And if it did, well...

She really wasn't a stranger to walking-!
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"For all you know, maybe I planned on carrying you there myself? Piggyback?"

Why was he able to picture her actually doing that?

Why was it that this ‘joke’ didn’t feel at all like a joke?

Why did he instinctively take a step back as the girl took a step forward?

"Princess carry?"

“Yyyyeah, y’know what, I think I want Cathie to show me the way. In fact,” Colt shot a look at the door, then to the redhead who had been going in circles. “Cathie, would you be so kind as to help me find my way to the club? I might just get lost on my own.”

"But if you're worried about me don't be, I'll get there just fine~"

“See? All works out.”

Elaine Winters

The Man-In-Between.

Both part of this, thisness, and seperate, he can see the bounds he's in, but is restricted in what he can do, somehow.

He's not one of the 'players'.

But he can still see what's going on, to an extent, at a certain time, in, perhaps, a certain place.

Thick blonde hair was ruffled, and yet again, Elaine Winters was tossed back in time.

'It's going to be okay.'

A smile from someone she barely knew.

'I'm here for you.'

I gazed after the form of Oceandrop slowly retreating away, both alive and dead, using this one singular moment in this recursion we're trapped in to reach out, to give a hand.

But he's not a player.

In the end, he's even more trapped than we are.

I, almost unsure of myself, reached out with one hand.

I knew there wasn't really anything I could do at this point, but...

I reached out anyway.

As a figure, he was impossibly far away, and getting further by the moment.

After this day, after this point in time, the principal, Oceandrop, would no longer be in the story.

Exactly why, I was unsure.

But as I put my thoughts together, I reached out.

I thought of a Friday gone past.

Did he have anyone he could tell?

Was he just sitting in that office, peacefully idling the last of his time?

That was...

That was sad.

So even if this event was something Elaine Winters could not stop, could not prevent that light from burning out.

She reached anyway.

Perhaps it was this ephemeral nature of the Man-In-Between that evoked such transparency, such vulnerability.

Elaine Winters can only be true when she is alone.

To be otherwise is to go against herself.

She said nothing, for what else was there to say?

But...

She grit her teeth.

"I'll, I'll get it done."

An oath in the sunshine in the midst of the rain.

"I'll find that miracle, and we'll all get out."

A girl swears this, face unhidden by her ever-present hat.

"I promise."

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

I watched as the small girl took the frog from me, setting it free once more into the woods. The creature let out a croak as it vanished into the distance, and I watched it go, slipping into the trees. When I turned back to Travis, he seemed...

Hm.

I don't really know the word for that expression.

"... You know, it's not extraordinary. Looking at you, it's inevitable. And if these sort of mundane things are what you consider rare, then it's not just that. In that case it's just... lonely, I suppose. That's what a normal human would call it. And the fact that you can't even seem to realize it is the worst thing of all. You've gotten so used to being alone that it doesn't even register to you, does it?"
    He sighed as he looked at me, turning away.

"Whatever... I'm not a shrink. Not my side of expertise. Though, if you really are lonely that you can smile while saying depressing shit like that, then..."

Hmm... I wonder what kind of expression he's showing now?

"... Well, you can always come do stupid shit with me. I'm good at killing time anyway."
    I smiled.

"Oh? Aren't you actually quite a nice person, Travis?" I said, tilting my head to the side with a smile. "But you don't need to worry about me, seriously! I..."

I don't need it.

I don't even want it.

I've never had a single person worry about me in my entire life. In the end, I've always been alone. There's nobody who wants to stand at my side in the first place. It's freeing, right? In a way, I suppose you could consider it to be a kind of freedom. Freedom from obligations. Freedom from interactions. Freedom from others. In the end, it's always just been me anyways. There isn't anyone else.

Besides, all the things that Travis is saying are useless in the end. Time will flow backwards. All these pieces will reset. From Travis to Cesarina, I'll do it all over again, again and again, until it's right.

Meeting the same faces, speaking the same words... Is it really all that bad? Is something like that really such a horrifying thing? But now, I...

I clenched my fists.

Wouldn't it be nice if just Cesarina remembered? If even just a single, solitary person I cared for remembered that I existed?

"Hah..." I let out a sigh. "Your offer's nice, but I don't think I'll ever have a chance to take it. Even if I wanted to, it's... It's...!"

I smiled.

"Even if you don't want to believe in anything I say, it doesn't matter! The deck's going to be reset either way!"

I let out a laugh, turning to the girl next to me and raising a finger. Rain poured down.

"You see, tiny morsel, this festering excuse for a town seems to be an experiment on such a grand scale it makes my head spin," I said to her casually, waving a hand as rain dripped down my hair. "My appearance, your appearance; even the ending all appear to be fixed. There's no method of escape that I can see, and the scale of magic is so far beyond me that it makes me feel quite small! Me, you, Travis, even Cesarina... We're all going to die! And then wake up on Monday, as if nothing ever happened at all! Without a single memory of events as they occurred!"

I laughed, long and loud as the rain poured, grinning wildly.

"What day is today? Friday? Saturday? Thursday? It doesn't matter at all! Reshuffle the cards and deal them out again! Die for a reason you don't understand! Die scared and alone! Are you gonna cry? Are you gonna cry? Oh, you are? You are? That's fine! Most people don't remember anything anyways! And even if they did, they wouldn't tell you about it! Find out about your best friend's death from a video of her day-long torture! Uncover the hidden secrets of what the devil everyone else has been doing through nothing but deduction, because they won't tell you a single word!"

I smiled.

It felt fractured.

"Then, ooooooh, this is my favorite - people will offer to help you! Now, tiny morsel, this is nothing but a trick. I'd call it a ruse, but a ruse would have to be laughably more advanced then a trick, so there's no point in calling it as such. You see, they'll offer you help, and then immediately vanish to go about their own way, doing things that you don't understand with people you haven't met! So in the end..."

I raised a hand, dragging my wet hair out of my face with a mad, mad grin on my face.

"You are, as in everything, alone~ There's not a single person around who can help~ nobody even cares about your best friend~"

That's right. Even if I'm trying to be better, what's the point if Cesarina dies? What's the point if the only person I care for is a corpse in the ground? I can't do it. I can't do it. I can't do it. I can't be a better person if she's dead. I can't improve if she's not there. It's not possible. It isn't. I...

-- I don't want to live in a world where Cesarina is dead. If she's dead, then shouldn't everyone else die alongside her? No, I can't. I promised to stop them from dying. I promised. So all I have to do is stop everyone from dying. That's all, right? Then I can have friends, right? It'll be normal, right?

"Ah," I said, blinking. "I forgot myself. Sorry~! Pay no my mind to the insane girl~! It's all just in my head, after all~!"

Today is Friday. I have to stop Cesarina from being killed. I have to. I have to. I won't be able to go on if she's dead in the first place. I'm too scared. Is it selfish, to cling so desperately to one person, even if they don't know anything about you? Is it so terribly loathsome, to want to change so desperately but be so terrified of it?

I clapped my hands.

"Incidentally, when we are done here, I will be visiting the hospital to spend the night! For unrelated reasons! If it explodes, it wasn't my fault!"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Hisa Momoi

“I said it already. I’m no Nancy Drew,” I said as I scratched the back of my head awkwardly, “Things would go much smoother if that was the case. It’s a far stretch to even call me a well prepared esper, really.”

Certainly, I had all the tools that I could make for myself, and yet I have not even bothered to visit the junkyard for parts, let alone actually make anything…

I wonder how things would turn out if I could ever finish that…

“But yeah, it’s basically a tool that I can channel my abilities into and contain them for later use. Quite useful, especially in cases like this...I mean, normally it would be nigh impossible to interact with someone who is not even nearby, so this sort of closes the gap, so to speak. Anyways, don’t worry, it’s perfectly sterile...the cap takes care of any sort of contamination,” I explained as I pulled out another syringe to showcase it, “And the needle doesn’t necessarily go deep either. It adjusts length depending on what’s being administered - in this case, it should only really pierce your skin.”

It was kind of ironic how a failure of a prototype ended up being so useful for a wholly different purpose than what it was meant for...but I could not complain. Was it a success, I would likely not be in the possession of something like this, after all.

“And well…” I rubbed my chin, contemplating our options, “We can see the exacts once we get there. I don’t mind sticking together...but in that case, we’ll need to be fast, if we want to snoop around a bit too. I’d rather not spend the whole night there...whether or not my suspicions are true, it’s still a shady manor away from the rest of the town.”

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Isaac is in no way a nickname derived from Isaiah. They’re two completely different names.

In his twisted wisdom, John Dove keeps the retort to himself.

“Alright then, nice to meet you, Isaac. Now, where do we go from here?” John instead respond, resting a hand on his side. “I didn’t really come to this town with any specific objective. Really, I am nothing but a high school student right now, or at least that’s how it was supposed to be. How was I supposed to know I was coming to Turnside Central?”

A crooked smirk, half amused, half dejected, takes shape on his face.

“Well, I guess it’s my fault for not doing my research. Rookie mistake. But what’s done is done, and I’m already here, and what the hell’s the deal with this place?”

He shakes his head in disbelief.

“The whole deal with the McLampets’ history is fishy as fuck; the hospital is fishier than fuck, and don’t even get me started on the country club and its shady guests driving around in government-issued vehicles. I even met an old acquaintance I hadn’t seen in, like, ten years. Here. Of all places. And there're all sorts of suspicious shit lurking in the woods and around the campus. Every single rumor you can think of is here: ghosts, government conspiracies, curses, fuckin' vampires; really, it’s like I stumbled on some sort of Turnside Expo.”

He scoffs.

“I'd bet my ass at least one of my classmates is an ESPer. Goddammit, I like my mind unfucked, thank you very much.”

The irony almost inflicts mental damage of its own.

As if catching himself, John makes a purposeful pause, clicking his tongue as is wordlessly scolding himself.

“Huh, I’m rambling. Guess I am even more nervous than I thought,” says the boy who excels at not looking the slightest bit nervous if he does not want to. “So? What brings you to the big Turnside Lollapalooza, Isaac?”

He shrugs, scratching the back of his head with more force than necessary.

“Well, it’s not like I can expect you to tell me. With my luck, I’ll find out on my own, in the worst possible way at the worst possible time.”

Then the smirk returns full force.

“But I won’t know what hornet nests to avoid if you don’t throw me a hint here.”

Blog Entries

Prushka

About an hour or so later, the search of the trio finally came to an end.

As it turned out, while Ahti was very confident in his speed, he wasn't going to actually jog along with the two girls using their respective vehicles - hence why he had sat behind Xandra while she drove. This, in turn, had created a rather hilarious sight for Prushka to follow with her scooter. Indeed, Xandra could be barely seen behind Ahti's massive back, making it look like Ahti himself was driving without hands and with the weirdest posture ever.

That being said, the silver-haired girl hadn't been kidding about the state of the payphones in the area. Most of the ones that the trio came across were either smashed to bits, had their receiver completely missing, or were just... gone. The only working ones were situated towards the town itself, and the one that they eventually settled for was the phone on the yard of Big Boy's Gas Station.

"You guys do your thing, I'm gonna head inside and grab a drink," Ahti grunted, looking at Xandra and Prushka. "Ain't no way in hell I'm gonna stand around in this rain..."

Having said that, the tall young man hurried towards the bar's entrance, his usually perky ears flat against his head. True enough, that made him appear relatively human (he was hiding his tail as well) but on the other hand, it was probably not the real reason. Ahti most certainly had an aversion to water - at least in most cases - just like the animal he took so many attributes from.

Xandra, watching the boy leave, chuckled and leaned against the wall of the gas station.

"Guess that just leaves you and me, cutie pie," she said with a sharp grin. "Your arm candy's abandoned us for the time being~"

She was clearly just saying it to tease Prushka further. However, after a moment of silence, a bit of a questioning look appeared on the girl's face.

"... Though honestly, I can't remember another person who Ahti's let sit that close to him - physically, that is," she commented, raising an eyebrow. "What the hell did you do to him to manage that? It's like he's practically calm in your presence, instead of his usual self."

Colt Davin & Liana Skye

And thus things had, more or less, worked out.

Cathie had ridden with Colt and given him directions where to turn, though during the trip the girl had adamantly refused to hold onto him - instead keeping a grip on the back of the bike. And, despite the slippery streets and the bad weather, Liana had more or less kept up with their pace. Thanks to all the side-streets and alleyways she could cut through, she had a shorter route to the fabled country club - even if she lost in speed on the last long stretch of road that took the group all the way up to the gates of the massive, grandiose building.

So, by the time Colt had parked his bike and was taking his first gander at where he had arrived, Liana arrived on her skateboard, easily wheeling to where the other two were.

Not much had changed here since the last time the girl had visited. The building was still as opulent as ever, clearly a mismatch to the rural atmosphere and the general state of the town. The central fountain was splashing with water thanks to the rain, and the well-kept gardens behind the main building were veiled in grey because of the weather. Not a single soul could be seen outside, making the whole place look deserted. If not for the lights shining in some of the windows, one could have taken it to be an old grand railroad hotel - now abandoned by people and time.

In fact, as Colt looked at the luxurious building towering nearby, he got the feeling that the person who had made it had certainly been aiming for such a hotel-look. There was a similar sense to it as some of the places he had stayed in while out on business with his father.

"Well... there it is. The eyesore of the town," Cathie grumbled, staring down at the building as if trying to challenge it. "Spade Queen Country Club... named after that god-awful statue they got in the back. Or as we locals call it: One-Eyed Jack's. Fits much better, I think."

She folded her arms and snorted, clearly not impressed with the decor of the place. Though, thanks to what she had said, Colt naturally glanced towards the back of the building and the gardens there... and spotted something that almost looked like a black onyx statue in the middle of said garden.

Statue that, even from far away, felt... oddly familiar.

Enough to give him a mild headache.

Alexstrasza Lockhart

There was silence on the road after Alexstrasza's outburst.

Silence that grew longer and longer.

Quiet, only broken by rain, and Stephanie's worried gaze as she held tighter onto the blonde girl's hand - as if telling her that things were going to be okay. While she could not understand what she was saying, even Stephanie knew that it had been an outburst akin to almost a cry for help. A desperate noise that had come through with bitter face and a laughter that didn't sound amused in the least. But, since she knew not the language, and was so young, the only thing the girl could do was to offer her hand and her presence, hoping they'd be enough to calm Alexstrasza down.

As for Travis...

He had come to a halt once more.

He glanced over his shoulder at the blonde girl, the expression on his face completely blank. Gone was the thuggish, brusque demeanor and his usual anger. Instead it had been replaced by something that felt far more honest... far more genuine. Like the girl was actually looking at the real Travis Gagnon for the first time, and found out he was quite the different individual than he portrayed.

"In your head, or part of reality... honestly, it doesn't matter does it? If it feels real to you, then the pain it causes is also real, right? At that point, who the hell cares if it's just a delusion or not," Travis spoke quietly, turning around on his heels and walking towards the girl. "That, in turn, means that a cry for help is just as real, no matter if its origin lies in reality or not. Ergo..."

The boy stopped right before Alexstrasza, leaving only a small gap between the two. Then he reached out with his hand and... after hesitating a bit... laid it on her shoulder and gave her a strong squeeze - as if trying to instill some courage into her. She looked her straight in the eyes, refusing to look away, and letting that same genuine feeling finally break out a little more.

"... Take it from an expert, Alexstrasza. If you're hurting that much, you don't have to just grin and bear it. You don't have to mask everything by smiling all the time, or laughing all the time. I've... I've been playing the role of someone I'm not for years now. All so I could get in here and save someone who means the world to me. I play the part of an asshole all for the sake of my own goal... so believe me when I tell you that donning such a mask to not let others know you're hurting, is just a stupid, stupid thing to do," Travis spoke with a calm voice that had none of its usual roughness. "Not to mention... don't paint people by colours you think they have, before even the truth - or who they really are. If you already decide that nobody will help you, nobody can help you - because you won't let them. Besides, you already know what you said isn't true, right? The reason why I asked you to come with me..."

Travis smiled in surprisingly lonely way.

"... Was because I promised to help you afterwards, didn't I?"

It was a reminder that even though she said so, Alexstrasza was far from alone, and far from being without allies.

"If you think the world's gonna reset, and that the others will forget... what's wrong with that? Or rather, what's wrong with trying anyway? Get to know them, learn who they are, and learn how being friends with them is. Then, if that reset does come, you'll be back to being friends that much faster," Travis continued, squeezing her shoulder again. "If this world of yours really resets, the people don't change. They'll be the same friends you had previously. So don't give up on them. That way, they won't give up on you either."

It was like he wanted to say something more, but left it at that - as if that was as much as he could say now, with Alexstrasza Lockhart being the way she was now.

"You don't have to hide that pain behind a smile and a laugh. Everyone here's hurting, one way or another. So, if you have a little bit of courage to open up to them, I'm sure they'll open up to you as well. I mean... I did, just now," the boy said with a quiet chuckle. "... All it took was for me to realize that you're more than what you try to appear to be. That there's real person underneath that attitude and fake smile."

... This, truly, was like speaking to a completely another Travis.

Hisa Momoi

"End of the road, I think."

Thus spoke Pyry, after he had parked his car to the small truck stop at the side of the road. He gazed through the rain into the thick forest, the Ghostwood that was ever-present as it encircled the town like an ancient army, and the thick brick wall that ran around the perimeter. The wall could be seen running through the forest and disappear into its depths, most likely turning towards north at some point. From the looks of it, it ran around the whole area, completely shutting off the McLampet manor grounds from the rest of the town. A typical move for the rich and the famous, but something about it felt almost... foreboding. Like there was something they were trying to hide.

As for the road, only a few hundred meters ahead it came to a halt. Thick metal gates, over three meters tall, blocked entrance to the manor grounds, and they could all see the white security camera slowly watching anyone who drove up to the gates.

"Hmm... climbing over the wall won't be too hard," Sakura spoke, pointing towards the forest. "We can just circle around the gate to avoid the camera, climb up there where the trees are close to the walls, and then continue our way here. I can drop a rope for you guys if needed - the rain's gonna make everything slippery, so best be careful. A fall like that won't break anything, but it's sure gonna drive the air out of your lungs."

Pyry measured the wall with his eyes, before suddenly cracking a bit of a grin.

"Hmh. No problem, I can just leap over that thing - easy peasy," he said with a confident grin, before cocking an eyebrow at Hisa. "Want me to give you a lift?"

Sakura who had pocketed the syringe and was now going through her own set of tools (a rather fancy-looking climber's kit) eyed the grounds beyond the wall again, and frowned a little.

"From what I can see from here, I think the road goes up to the cliffside near the ocean. I'd bet top dollar that's where the manor proper is," she said. "The other buildings must be towards the forest then. Hmm... the maid probably has her own house there. Most servants at the time didn't actually live in the mansions, but outside of it. If that's the case here, we might wanna locate that first. The manor itself shouldn't be hard to find."

With that, she turned towards Hisa and Gradient, and flashed a slightly giddy smile.

"Ready, you two?"

Gradient answered with an enthusiastic "Muu~!"

John Dove

Isaac frowned.

He only needed couple of steps before he was right before John, staring down at the younger boy with a dark expression. That threatening atmosphere was back again, carried by his mere physical presence. It was like staring a wild animal straight in the face, and watching as their animal mind worked and tried to deduce whether or not they should attack. Not to mention, those eyes... there was something in them that felt new to John, even with the Turnside experiences he had had so far. None of the people he had met, from Elaine to Anna, from Ramia to Hawthorne, had such eyes. Cold, serious eyes.

Almost like...

"So. This is what we're gonna do," Isaac spoke with a quiet voice that demanded silence. "First. You stop freaking out. And then you'll stop hollering all that stuff like rank amateur. Yah, we don't need additional problems. Just calm your face and shut your mouth, and keep out of trouble. You understand so far?"

Honestly, it didn't even sound like a suggestion or a question. It was more akin to an order.

"Next. I'll go back to my table. And I enjoy the rest of my steak," Isaac continued. "You return back to your table. And you get on with your high school life. Like nothing happened. Like we never met. Or rather, we barely glanced at each other while we took a piss. Like a couple of strangers with nothing to connect them, like we are."

This wasn't... exactly what one might have expected the man to say.

"Then. And this is just a piece of advice. You stop worrying about that crap. You continue being a high schooler. You live your life. You go to school. You do stupid stuff. But you don't get paranoid about Turnside. Even if you see it here and there in this town. Out of sight, out of mind... or vice-versa, in this case," the man concluded. "That way, you don't get into any more trouble. And you'll get on with your life once you finish high school. The last thing you need is to do is to stick your hand into the flame on purpose. You understand that? The first step to that is not to ask any more questions about me."

With that, the pressure around the man faded slightly, and he took a step back. Then he walked over to one of the urinals and unzipped... and just began doing his business like nothing had ever happened. The sound of liquid hitting the porcelain filled the room.

"Curiosity kills cats, boy. Don't be a cat. They're stupid creatures who don't know any better," he said, a momentary grin passing by his face - and revealing a set of sharp teeth. "This all started with a misunderstanding. Yah, let it be a misunderstanding. Don't go digging deeper than you need to."

In a way, it was sound advice.

"There's nothing to gain from it, anyway."

Elaine Winters

"I know you will."

Words spoken with utmost faith in the girl before him, and the rest of her class.

"I've always known that you will," he spoke. "It's simply raining on some other day."

Mr. Oceandrop, his time literally running out, let his arms fall against his sides and kept his eyes directly at the girl reaching out for him. Both to ensure that promise and to know that someone had witnessed it. He stood there, bearing witness to the words that would, hopefully, be the ones to break through this cursed loop. This recursive time that had trapped them all. This strange phenomena that had no end or beginning... just an infinite loop that refused to let them go. But, by their own hands and their own power, they would shatter that loop.

Infinity was, in the end, only imaginary.

And all imagination had its limits.

Thus, the goal was to find the ends of this imagination that had trapped them so.

And the one hidden within it, the one who was the center and the reason for this all.

--- This man called Oceandrop had put a start to it.

Lit a fire.

And now he hoped that this fire would guide them through the dark of the Ghostwood into the tomorrow that never comes.

... But who was this mean really? Who was this broad-shouldered, larger-than-life man who bore such strange marks on his face and spoke of such strange things? Where had he come from and how had he ended up here? How had he become trapped by time far more than anyone else around him? What was his purpose in all of this, and what had he done to deserve such a fate? Why was he only truly lucid at the end of his time here at Road's End, and where did he go now that his time was up? And where did that bottomless faith he had in his students, that trust that wouldn't budge for the world, come from? Why did he look with such warm eyes at every person who had stepped out of that bus in what felt like an eternity ago?

There were so many questions unanswered... and no longer time to find answers in.

But, as if seeing through Elaine's emotions, and to answer that reaching hand, the fading man spoke...

"--- Don't worry."

A smile on his face.

"As long as there is no proof, the cat in the box may not be alive... but neither is it dead."

With a gentle laughter, he gazed back towards the skies, and the fading ray of sunlight that was once again about to be covered by the clouds. He had no strength to reach out for it, and his form was all but gone. But still, his voice was strong.

Strong enough that Elaine heard his last whisper.

Words spoken with almost reverie - or perhaps, the surprise and amusement of a man who came to a realization.

Yet, nevertheless, it was spoken in revelation.

"We just... live inside a dream."

And with that...

Mr. Oceandrop faded away.

--- And so did the sound of the ticking clock.

Leaving Elaine Winters alone on the overlook...

Hisa Momoi

“H-hey, I can climb too,” I pouted slightly as I crossed my arms in front of my chest, “B-but well, maybe it’s faster that way. Just don’t forget about Gradient either.”

Why can’t the school have security cameras, I wonder? Certainly, of all things, it was something that Oceandrop could have easily afforded, and likely would have solved quite some issues...albeit it would have been rather uncomfortable for me as well.

“We should be careful with the approach then, anyways. There might be more cameras. I can check for them within a reasonable reach, but better not get caught by one from further away.”

It entirely depended on how the place looked like behind the walls, anyways.

“Still, guess we are ready then.”