Page 1 of 244 12361151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Phase: Morning Phase.
    Date: 06.09.1994.
    Weather: Sunny
    [BGM]

Tires occasionally bumping against the old, worn-down asphalt road. Yet another old, solemn song crackling out from the ancient radio. The moquette of the bus seats stinking of dust and cigarette smoke, practically sweating thanks to the sun outside shining far stronger than it should in early September.

This had been your reality for better part of the day.

The journey to Road's End was nearing its end, but at the same time, that same journey had yet to properly even begin. This bus trip across the country, one that had taken quite a long time all-together, was just the prologue. Soon enough you'd be arriving to the small rural town at the back roads of Washington State, nestled between sea and the mountains. There the much-talked-about school of Pinefall High awaited – your home away from home for the next year. It was in the sticks to be sure, much more than any of you had ever really experienced. Only about 3000 people lived there, apparently. But it was away from the hustle and bustle of the world, surrounded by beautiful nature and most importantly of all... it was quiet.

In other words a perfect location for what was basically a nursing home for society's rejects – a mental hospital disguised as a high school.

Your reasons for attending Pinefall High School for Troubled Youth were your own, but it was clear that there were many like you. Twenty-nine in total, to be exact. These youngsters would be your classmates for the following year and judging from how quiet it was at the bus... each one of you was thinking approximately the same thoughts:

“Is there really any point to this?”

It wasn't completely dead silent, of course. Few people were talking with each other and there was a low buzz of discussion joining the droning rumble of the vehicle's tires, but that's all it was. The loudest thing was the radio, and even that had been turned down low so that it wouldn't bother the passengers,as per request of the woman sitting on one of the front seats. She was quite the striking figure, as strict as a whip and with clear fire in her eyes. Her dress was casual but still carried the air of formality around it, giving you an unpleasant image of a military school faculty member. The only saving grace was the smile she occasionally flashed when she looked at the other passengers – it had the calming effect similar to a veterinarian approaching a wounded dog. It was clear this was not her first time when it came to dealing with youngsters like you.

Before you had stepped into the bus,she had introduced herself as Ms. Leuzinger, one of your teachers during the following year.

The stuffy atmosphere of the bus,mixing with the clear dust hanging in the air revealed by the rays of sunlight streaming through the dirty windows, was not the most promising. Indeed it felt a little less like you were about to embark on a new journey – an adventure even. Having been forced to sit in this vehicle for hours upon hours, the atmosphere was more akin to a bunch of young criminals being carted off to a juvenile hall.Trickles of sweat down your neck, uncomfortable numbness in your body that wouldn't shake off no matter how much you changed the way you sat, repetitive song after repetitive song coming from God-knows-what local station specializing in Dad-Rock. Combination of all these factors, along with hundreds of other little thing that kept bothering you, slowly but surely made this situation unbearable for you and the others, until you were sure that someone very soon would scream out in frustration. But just as this boiling point began to approach---

"This is your driver Mainfield speaking,” the PA system of the bus blared out suddenly with the voice of the driver. “We have now reached Road's End, so if you'll look to your right..."

--- The scenery changed, revealing something new and exciting behind it.

A small town nestled next to a large cliff, surrounded by forest and impossibly large ocean and a towering mountain of green reaching for heights behind it. Small buildings of log and stone and concrete shining in the sunlight, looking like they had been there for centuries. A small town of unquestionable rustic beauty and with an aura of old ways resonating from it. Somewhere, the fresh scent of pine trees entered your nose. Douglas firs and sycamore trees whistled past and eventually gave way to a perfect view of this approaching small town, one that welcomed you in with open arms for the next year.

It seemed peaceful – almost kind. Old but reliable grandfather that lived alone but was always happy to see his grandchildren.

And today, you'd become one of those hundreds of grandchildren.

Today you'd become a resident of Road's End, Washington.

The sudden appearance of your destination caused a sudden stir in the passengers of the bus. Teenagers stirred from their apathy and took a look at the town, each one displaying a different expression. Some viewed with clear interest, some with disdain, some with completely neutral expression... and some just glanced at it and went back to whatever they were doing.

And the people around you specifically...

For Vier Wolff this trip had been slightly more bothersome than to others. A rather rude white-haired punk had been kneeing her seat to keep himself entertained during the trip, and while you had told him to stop it,he had only acted like he didn't understand a word you said (he definitely did, though, judging from his shit-eating grin) and ignored you. Meanwhile the girl next to you had kept her nose buried in her book -Sophie's Choice- and ignored you during the journey. However, now she had finally roused from her trance and took a look at the approaching town... quite the intense look, in fact, like she was challenging the town into a fight.

For Momoi Hisa this trip had been rather awkward. The incredibly tiny girl next to her (who went barefoot of all things) had fidgeted on her seat during the whole trip, clearly wanting to start up a conversation but not exactly finding the courage to do so. Then there was the backpack she kept on her lap. It might have been Momoi's imagination, but... sometimes it almost felt like the backpack moved on its own. And she was pretty sure there had been a subdued bark or two at some point coming from within its depths. Whenever something like this had happened, the small girl in red had grown incredibly flustered and nervous.

For Lucille Faraday this trip had been pleasant enough. The man who had sat next to her had offered her the window seat once she had gotten on the bus, being content with sitting on the aisle-side. He had answered politely enough to small-talk but was clearly not interested in talking, choosing instead to focus on drawing the scenery passing by the windows. His notebook had slowly been filling with picture after picture, each one more detailed than the last.

For Prushka this trip could have gone better. The man who had been sitting next to her hadn't bothered to give her the window seat – hell, he hadn't even acknowledged her existence in but the most cursory of ways! Just a single glance, a grunt, and then this young man who more resembled a lanky, ridiculously tall lion than anything else just put on his headphones and continued to listen his mullet rock blaring loud enough for even her to hear. In other words, she had been completely ignored.

For Vivienne Bianchi this trip offered no real points of interest, if not for the man sitting across the aisle from her who had claimed two seats as his own and kept everyone else at bay with rude words and rather angry presence. The person sitting next to her (either a very handsome woman or a very beautiful man) had curtly introduced themselves as Alex Terrot at the start of the journey. For the rest of the time they had been writing shorthand on their notepad that was bursting from the seams. Currently this person was watching the sight of the town, unreadable expression on their face.

For Alexstrasza Lockhart this trip had been a challenge in itself. The girl sitting next to her talked without a pause (mostly about herself after she got tired of her fruitless efforts of switching the seats so she could be next to the window) and showed no signs of stopping even now that they were close to the town of Road's End. She had introduced herself as Cesarina Feroce, her attitude close to a noble deeming to talk with a pauper, which was annoying in itself – but the worst thing was definitely her nasally voice. She was definitely the loudest person in the bus by far.

For Colt Davin and Adelaide Cheshire this trip had been a normal one. The two of them couldn't have been more different when it came to each other, but their interactions had been polite enough so far (perhaps caused by the tiredness that so often accompanied long car-trips). The only bothersome points were the constantly talking girl one seat ahead of them... and the other girl sitting across the aisle from them. She was one of those people who had claimed two seats for themselves, and had spent most of her time checking her make-up and looks from her compact. The looks she sometimes bothered to shoot towards Adelaide were rude to a fault, accompanied by a sneer that seemed to ridicule the fancily dressed girl.

For Anna Vandemeel this trip had been surprising pleasant... if a bit confusing. The girl sitting next to her (though she smelled of long roads traveled and sand) was a polite one, introducing herself as Ramia. She seemed to enjoy the prospect of 'having some time off' as she put it and entertained herself by playing a hand-held game console during the journey. She even offered to let Anna borrow her Sega Game Gear but after some futile attempts of explaining how it worked she simply laughed and told she could borrow one of her books instead. And as luck would have it, her backpack was full of travel guides to all sorts of places around the world. Now she was watching the view from the window with a glint in her eyes and a small grin on her lips.

For Elaine Winters this trip had been a quiet one. The person sitting next to her practically squeezed herself against the window in an attempt to keep the distance between them as high as possible. It was not out of rudeness, surprisingly enough, but more likely fear of strangers. This person was a text-book example of a shrinking violet, answering with a quiet, meek voice and short bursts of words to any questions asked. The only thing this oddball had done during the trip was stare at her hands that were white and soft – hands of someone who had never done a harsh day's work in their lives. Now this person's eyes were glued to the sight of the approaching town, myriad emotions displayed in their depths.

For John Dove and Elise Pelltier this trip had been surprisingly fun... for whatever it meant to the both of them. They had sat at the back of the bus, a place with far more leg room to stretch at. In addition to this, the third person sitting there was just a bursting with energy and goodwill. Having introduced herself as Sakura Tsukioka, she had spent the day having pleasant small-talk with the two of them and even offered them lunch from her sizable basket of sandwiches and soda that she had brought with her to the bus. Now this ball of joy was excitedly talking about the town they were seeing, clearly looking forward to arriving there.

A clear air of excitement, tension and waiting grew inside the bus as the town of Road's End got closer and closer. Soon enough you all would be arriving and then... your year away from your homes would begin. Soon enough you'd start your new life at the boonies, away from the rest of the world. Soon enough you'd experience a school life unlike you might have experienced so far, as provided by the Oceandrop Program.

No matter what your thoughts, motivations and expectations were, one thing was clear: This was going to be a whole new start in so many ways.

------- So why not make the most of it?

Seating Arrangement

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Some things just don't change. Hours stuck on a bus going through heck-knows-where to get somewhere-nowhere? That's just life back home. Gravel, dirt, muddy roads and a bumpy ride.

I guess some people here aren't too into it though. But I guess I lucked out. My aislemate made it pretty easy to spend most of the ride trying to come up with a good icebreaker. I guess that's bad in it's own way. She could break the ice herself. But at least the entire time neither of was saying squat I managed to make some progress on these blueprints.

Once we get off the bus I can correct all those errors I made from the bumping. I hate that. Really ruins the aesthetic of a good set. There's just something nice about crisp blueprints, but all these scuffs and stuff... Ah no don't obsess over it.

Think about something else. Do something else.

Like.

"Hey, not a bad view. I'm no stranger to mountains. Not much or a sea guy myself though. Or maybe I am. Not sure. Never did take any beach vacations, and I'm from a landlocked state."

Like make small talk.

Not a bad idea. This girl's not so bad on the eyes. I'm not so sure about the get-up. What do you even call this fashion style? I'm not going to complain. I can see myself being into it. Always have had a thing for skirts. These big, poofy... However they're called skirts. Like what those gals at the big balls in movies wear.

Those things are a work of art. They're a real workout for the eyes and imagination. It's all up to you to try and figure out just what kind of package is beneath one. And then you start to think about all those things that could fit down there...

Whoa, better take a breather. Talk to her normally for now. Whatever she keeps in that skirt isn't my business, yet.

"What about you? Land or sea?'

Ahhh that's nice and neutral. Get to know her.

Speaking of getting to know her.

"Name's Colt." I point my pen up to the collar of my shirt. "Colt Davin. Normally not one for introducing myself to people I sit beside on the bus, but we're going to be classmates anyway, right?"

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Alvena Cheshire

Adelaide fidgeted in her seat, looking out of the window. The glass was a little cooler than the inside, which wasn't saying much. If only she'd known just how bad it was going to be outside, she'd have... well, she would have done something. Probably.

She had caught the eye of the girl sitting across from them a few times, and nodded once when their eyes met, but she'd kept her distance for now. She'd met people that didn't like her before, and the bus wasn't the place to deal with it.

The music was a terrible distraction from the heat, but it could have been worse - it could have been classical. Not for the first time, she hoped for some more energetic rock, but it never came. Her seat mate was a blessing in disguise; she was still, in the end, mulling it all over, and sitting next to someone who didn't talk nearly as much as the girl in front of them was something she could appreciate.

"Hey, not a bad view."

"Hm?"

Adelaide glanced over at her seat mate as he leaned in a little closer. An American, of course, scribbling away at something that looked like... plans? It wasn't quite her business.

"I'm no stranger to mountains. Not much of a sea guy myself though. Or maybe I am. Not sure. Never did take any beach vacations, and I'm from a landlocked state."

Adelaide shifted over to let them both get a better glance at the scenery, a brief flash of pale leg showing as she adjusted her skirt, the kind of white, delicate skin that always seemed reserved for the aristocracy.

"What about you? Land or sea?'

"I've never been to the sea, I'm afraid. I prefer the indoors," she looked over at him, a little bemused. He had a strong jaw for an American, she thought; not that she'd met many.

"Name's Colt. Colt Davin. Normally not one for introducing myself to people I sit beside on the bus, but we're going to be classmates anyway, right?"

A brief smile passed over Adelaide's face, a genuine one. Her eyes followed the pen to the open collar of his shirt, and she jerked her head away, a very light red dusting her pale cheeks.

"Adelaide. Adelaide Cheshire."

She offered him her hand.

"A pleasure."
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

I missed the window seat.

Well, that's not entirely true; I missed not sitting next to Cesarina, more then I missed the window seat. Before picking her up, it was in fact, a fairly peaceful journey for me; minimal interaction, and a peaceful view of the surrounding countryside. Even as clear skies and concrete gave way to dirt roads and mountain paths, Cesarina chattered on.

I glance at her, cataloging her in my mind. She spoke to me like a noble, as if I was being deemed worthy enough to speak to.

How arrogant.

I interrupt her meaningless prattle with a smile, my eyes twinkling.

"Alexstrasza. That's my name. Alexstrasza Lockhart."

The words slip by my tongue without any real effort, as I arch an eyebrow, tilting my head. "What's it like, Cesarina? Being so far above the average person."

It's easy, to say it.

It's easy, to lie.

The one fact of the matter is this - I, above all else, do not wish to be here. It's a waste of time, an endeavor that completely lacks in purpose or necessity. Road's End holds nothing for me, except for more time and energy spent on meaningless tasks.

I smile.

"After all, one who shines as bright as you can't possibly be ordinary, correct?"
    Last edited by Frantic Author; January 8th, 2019 at 06:03 PM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

This entire trip, I've had to deal with this white-haired guy repeatedly kneeing the back of my seat as hard as he could. At the beginning of the trip, I politely asked him to stop. He acted like he couldn't understand my English. While it has a slightly German accent, I know that I can speak English more than just "passable." If anything, he started having this shit-eating grin and somehow started to hit it even harder.

However, this wasn't the worst trip I've been on by a longshot. My seatmate was quiet and didn't bother me at all. And despite the person behind me's attempts, it just reminds me of a very turbulent flight with a person closing their tray a little too frequently. So I was happy to just read my book of Grimm's Fairy Tales that I found in the airport before getting here. The one that stuck with me the most was the one I just finished called The Two Brothers.

I thought long and hard about that story and its meaning until I heard our driver call out that we have now reached Road's End and saw my seatmate finally stirring. The town looked nice, safe, and welcoming. But if that was the truly the case, then why didn't I feel welcome? Was it because I just read The Two Brothers?

Regardless, I was here for a reason other than Pinefall High School for Troubled Youth. I mean... I was super excited to finally be able to attend a school, but... this wasn't exactly the normal school I was dreaming of. Maybe in my final year, I'll transfer out with a friend where we can study for the SAT and ACT tests, get a part-time job, and try to choose a college together!

And as my old friend said, 'Nothing ventured is nothing gained.' So I took my opportunity with my seatmate with a gentle conversational probe.

"You look awfully excited to see the town for it to tear you away from your book. Been here before?

Anyways nice to meet you, the name's Vier. Vier Wolff."
    Last edited by Kuroyuki; January 8th, 2019 at 05:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"Pleasure's all mine."

I give her hand a good shake. Firm, to let her know I'm a man, but gentle, to show I'm considerate.

I said not a bad view, but maybe I spoke too soon. This is way above that level. That's a solid 9. Maybe a 10. Those legs.

I'm full. I can skip dinner. My compliments to the chef, and all that.

"An indoors type."

I believe it. Legs like those have probably never been in spitting distance of so much as a drop of mud. She's almost like a doll. Never taken off the shelf until now, fresh out of the packaging.

"Judging from that accent I figure you're from even further away from here than I am."

Adelaide Cheshire. Like, the Cheshire Cat? Alice in Wonderland is really one of those things that stick with you. Most of that movie, well I guess it was a book originally, went over my head I'm ashamed to say, but I wouldn't go forgetting that cat.

From the looks of things, this little town isn't going to be very considerate to your taste. But you're more than considerate of mine.

Friendly. A bit foreign, but familiar. I wouldn't hesitate to call her a downright stunner either. I gotta go for it

"Well how about a trip to the beach some time? Just you and me. It can be a first for the both of us. It'd make for a good chance to get to know each other, get started on the right foot and all that, what with us being stuck in this little town for who knows how long."

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

“Thanks… I seem to be rather bad at this, so you better take it back before I break it by accident or something.”

With those words, Anna gave back the strange contraption to the dusky-skinned girl. Based on Ramia’s rather bizarre explanation it was some sort of game...? Seeing a miniature TV was quite a surprise, but what was more interesting was the fact that you could apparently control the, admittedly rather blocky, image to some extent. Controlling the blasted thing proved more than a hassle, however, and a couple of tries later, the raven-haired girl passed the black brick-like object back to its owner.

And with that, the pair fell back into silence.

Despite Ramia’s offer, Anna had no intention of taking the other girl up on her follow-up offer. The last thing she wanted to do was read about other, more interesting, places. The scenery reflecting through dusty bus-windows had been originally sold to her as “magical”, but the words that first came to Anna’s mind were more akin to “mindlessly bland” if anything. Scenery the likes of which she had already seen a thousand times before. It reminded her of home but in all the worst ways. Unlike the glint of excitement clearly visible in the eyes of her white-haired seatmate, Anna only gazed at the passing environment with lazy indifference.

A tired sigh involuntarily escaped her lips.

Out of all the places to end up in it just had to be another goddamn pine forest.

“Oh, I don’t think I have introduced myself, right? Kind of rude from my end, I suppose.”

“The name is Anna. Anna Vandemeel.”

“Don’t sweat about the pronunciation.” Anna’s eyes brightened a bit as a small grin appeared on her lips. “I have already given up on pronouncing yours, so you should at least give me the same courtesy, eh?”

“Just call me Anna.”
    Last edited by Mellon; September 9th, 2019 at 05:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Lucille had quietly spent most of the trip looking through the window, respecting her seatmate’s unwillingness to talk. Though she’d been on plenty of long trips, accompanying her parents to various business escapades, it was the first time she’d ever been in an extensive trip on a bus, especially with so many people. It was a somewhat noisy, hectic experience, which was both refreshing and a bit uncomfortable at the same time. But in the end, the novelty wore off, and so Lucille turned her attention to what the pink-haired man was doing in his seat—drawing.

She wasn’t qualified to evaluate art, but she knew from a technical level his skills were good, the scenery around them reflected in eye-catching detail. For someone who had been drawing in a bus full of minor bumps and jostles, the end product was admirably clean. But the more she watched, the more she realized the situation was a tad awkward.

To really view the rustic scenery, having her seat would naturally be better, simply because there was more to look at. As it was now, she felt that she was in the way, blocking the view for someone who passionately worked on his art. Considering how freely he had given her the window seat when she arrived, Lucille felt a pang of guilt. She hadn’t meant to inconvenience him at all.

“I wouldn’t have minded taking the aisle seat if you wanted to draw,” she says softly. “And if there’s anything you need to see through the window, I’ll try to move a bit so you can get a better view.”
    Last edited by Katie; January 8th, 2019 at 06:05 PM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Momoi Hisa

I've never been more excited in my life. All these new, interesting looking people, and they're all going to be attending the same place as me...I must use this opportunity to fulfill my dream.

Yet I ended up zoning out for most of the ride. The view is just so different from what I'm used to, so captivating I couldn't help just absorbing my surroundings. But this cute little thing next to me...and what might her bag be hiding? Clearly she's been in pain, maybe she was trying to talk to me, but I wasn't approachable enough? Was it because of the scars? Yeah, clearly must have been the reason, it is always the reason...but I guess it can't be helped. Should've probably offered her the window seat to avoid this.

I should try talking to her...I shouldn't miss this opportunity...I should just --- just act naturally. You can do this, you know the basics. I turn to the girl, trying to twist my body in a way that doesn't entirely look awkward but lets me show my...nicer side while putting my scars out of view as much as possible.

"H-hello there. My name is Hisa, Momoi Hisa. I'm...Sorry for not talking to you earlier, must have been awkward for you...but I was just too engrossed in this whole new situation. I ---"

She looks so cute. Do I just small talk? Should I try to find out some things about her? Do I even ask her about the animal in her backpack? Do I have time to do it all? Where do I even start?

"I think you are really cute ---"

Oh god, did I really just say that? Is it normal to say something like that to a complete stranger? No, calm down, I can't panic, this isn't the end yet!

"--- and I hope we can be friends. Anyways, how are you?"

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Alvena Cheshire

"Pleasure's all mine."

He had a good handshake, as far as it went; he didn't grab her hand as though he was crushing it. That won him a few points from Adelaide, at least. She didn't glance at his collar again.

"Judging from that accent I figure you're from even further away from here than I am."

"Yes... from England. Suffolk."

She caught his vague look of confusion.

"In the countryside."

"Well how about a trip to the beach some time? Just you and me. It can be a first for the both of us. It'd make for a good chance to get to know each other, get started on the right foot and all that, what with us being stuck in this little town for who knows how long."

Adelaide raised a delicate eyebrow.

"We couldn't do that inside?"

She turned away a little, looking back out through the windows. It was pretty, in a way, even she had to admit that. It was just...

"I wouldn't mind being shown around the dorms, I suppose... although it's not like either of us know them very well, hm?"

She flashed him a small smile.

Elaine Winters

I drowsed beneath my hat's brim as the bus rumbled along yet another highway on our trip to this 'school', shipped off away from god and everybody to some town in the sticks because society's tired of our shit, I guess.

I'd been passing in and out of sleep ever since I'd gotten the hint that my seatmate wasn't much for conversation and I'd heard the same song for the fifth time, I mean, even liking this kind of music, starts being a real drag after a while.

Needs some power in it, some pounding drums, or some flavor even, I like Zepp as much as the next girl who grew up with a bunch of guys, but there's a point where you start losing touch with reality a bit.

Made for good sleepin' though, not gonna lie.

Still, though, what exactly were we doing here, in the grand scheme? I mean, I can't be the only one who looks at a big sweeping statement of 'helping distanced people back into society' and starts getting leery, can I?

Even if I was a fuck-up, was this the place where it'd actually start getting easier?

Hm.

I peered out from under my hat at my seat-mate for the ride, shy, introverted, not much for conversation, might not really know how to talk to people all that well.

Still, I should table that thought, no need to go broiling up a stew about somebody without even knowing what they're about, after all.

The PA system rasped through the bus and I winced as it blared against my ears, seemed like we were getting close now.

Good, need to move around.

The faint scent of pine brushed against my nose as I stretched out of my slouch, careful to not get into Window-seat's bubble, old trees and an old town, like coming down to see grandad for Christmas.

It'd been a bit since I'd been up in this part of the country, and I found myself looking forward to rekindling our old relationship.

Go climb a tree or something, yeah.

Maybe this wouldn't be so bad, get my head in gear, figure this all out.

Fuck it, let's give it another go, all this nostalgia's making me sociable.

I gave the window girl another look, some array of emotions in her eyes.

"Not a bad looking little town, huh? Wonder if they've got any cool stuff hanging around, these sorts of places usually have something going on somewhere, gossip or not."

You go through enough small towns, you get the gist, I liked the sort.

I smiled, cheerily, "I'm Elaine, by the way, Elaine Winters, nice to meet you."

"I like your hair! Do you spend a lot of time on it?"

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    John Dove
    Approaching Road’s End
    Morning Phase
    Unexpectedly Sunny

Uncomfortable trip aside, I am looking forward to this. Road’s End is as welcome a change as any. I had about reached the limit of what I could achieve in my former…place of residence.

The physical discomfort of today’s weather encroaching on the cramped vehicle remains manageable. Not nearly enough to feel fatigue. There have been harsher days. I could have been in any other seat but the back, for example. No, it was not nearly as uncomfortable as it could have been.

I will spend the good part of this year with these people. I needed change, but the challenge remains nonetheless. The pretension, the fundamental falsity of this whole…of everything. I had a good grasp of everybody at my former place, so it had already become second nature. Now I have to start anew, in a new place, with completely new people.

How tiresome.

I want to dismiss the chatter all over the place as hollow and inane, but that would not be prudent. It is not that I dislike conversation, after all. I am merely aware of…

…I’m doing it again. I really have to stop doing this.

No point in dwelling on it; I already know.

Only one thing matters.

I take a slow, quiet breath. No need to draw early, unnecessary attention.

Let’s get started. Early bird gets the worm; no rest for the weary; don’t leave for tomorrow what you can do today; knowledge is power; etcetera.

I reach for the sketchbook. If the town’s small enough, I might have the beginning of a map by the time we arrive to whatever destination awaits us. More importantly…

Well, she likes to talk. So, let’s talk.

I can do this. I just have to remember the lie. She has already provided a foundation; I can start by building on it.

“I am not sure I thanked you properly for the...um, for the meal. I am truly grateful; it was delicious.”

Good start. Not even a lie, go me. Now, don’t wait for her—hollow—response; keep building.

“So, have you already made any plans of what you want to do at Pinefall? I mean, you seem to be really looking forward to this, Miss Tsoo-kee-oh-kah.”

Oh God. That was…ugh.

I know I’m wincing right now. Why do I even.

So, apologetic—how was that look again? Right, got it.

“I…I’m sorry. I really can’t pronounce it properly. May I be so bold as to call you Sakoo—um, Sakura?”

I turn to glance at my other neighbor in this voyage, long enough for her to notice.

Perhaps she wants to join in, considering it won’t be long before we’re out of this tin can?

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

That soft smile really eases the blow of rejection. The pretty girls get so much practice doing it, putting a man down as painlessly as possible. That's the real reason to try to shoot for the girls out of your league. They know how to say no without making a mess.

There goes my chance of starting the year here with a nice stroll on the beach, playing around in the water with a looker in a bikini...

Bikini?

Maybe I'm giving up too quickly.

"Well we could get to know each other indoors, but I'm not sure how we'd get to go to the beach while we're inside. Bit of a contradiction there. And the beach is half of the plan. Everyone I know is always going on vacation to this beach and that. I gotta find out what's so great about it, but going alone?"

I give her a serious stare, intentionally cracking down into a sarcastic smile.

"That'd be sad even for me."

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Alvena Cheshire

Adelaide was raising both eyebrows at him now, but it wasn't dismissive - she was curious.

"That'd be sad even for me."

"Well, no, I've..."

She looked out the window, at the seat, crossing her legs absently under her skirt. The scenery cruised by slowly, as she had another look at it, and for once Adelaide could appreciate it. Only a little, anyways.

"I've just never been to the beach before... I wouldn't know what to do."

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "What's it like, Cesarina? Being so far above the average person. After all, one who shines as bright as you can't possibly be ordinary, correct?"
    They say that a sign of high intelligence is to be able to pick up social cues from even the tiniest hints, such as tone of voice and body language, along with expressions. If this was true then Cesarina Feroce outed herself as a major idiot by beaming brightly at Alexstrasza's words, her sarcasm and bite clearly going straight above her head and disappearing into the distance.

"N-no, it's nothing special, si!" She laughed, puffing her non-existent chest. "It's all a matter of perspective! After all, if you're born to a middle-class family, that's the viewpoint you have. It's only by looking at those above or below us that we realize how vast the world is! B-but there's nothing special in it, no, but thank you all the same Alexstraz... Alesxztars... Alezxrats... Ale-ACK!"

The animated girl bit her tongue and let out a loud yelp that made many in the bus wince.

"Ow-ow-ow-ow... mhy thongue..." Cesarina whimpered, holding her hand over her mouth. "U-uhm, yes, nothing special Miss Lockhart. We all do our best where we are, and that's that! Even if it might seem special and amazing to you that I'm the heiress to multi-billion dollar company, to me it's as mundane as... as... well, this vehicle for example!"

Cesorina emphasized her words by picking the fabric of her seat and picking out a piece of lint that she held between her fingers.

"So to answer your question... Being amazing is like breathing to me!" Feroce grinnned, ear-to-ear. "That's just how it is!"

New Person Met!

Vier Wolff

"No!"

The answer that Vier got was like a shotgun-blast straight to the face in its quickness and power. Suddenly the older girl found herself accosted by a pair of red, fiery eyes, boring a hole through her with their intense stare. The blue-haired youth before her stuffed her book into her backpack and folded her arms, leaning back so there was some distance between the two of them.

"Super rude, just assuming something like that," she grumbled, clearly miffed about Vier's words. "Never been here. Never. First time. Just like you. I mean, your accent totally gives it away. Like half the people here, really. Did they really scrounge up all these weirdos from around the globe? What am I even doing here...?"

Her words slowly lost their volume, eventually becoming just muttering that was barely audible. Only after realizing that Vier was still looking at her did the girl realize she had left her hanging. Looking somewhat awkward in how she scratched the back of head, this fiery youngster finally introduced herself, even if she refused to look Vier in the eyes as she did so.

"Aleen. Aleen King," the girl said. "Nice to meet'cha, or whatevs."

A moment of awkward silence followed, only to be broken by Aleen who clearly was more bothered by it than Vier.

"Still... it's pretty neat-looking place," she continued. "Just thought it might not totally suck, living here a year. At least there's nature close-by."

New Person Met!

Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “Just call me Anna.”
    "A'ight, you can just call me Ramia then," the girl with the husky voice answered in kind, adjusting her pilot-cap. "God knows I've had my fair share of people butchering my last name. Then again, I suppose that's gonna be a problem for half the people here. With this many kids from around the world there's bound to be people with weird-ass names."

Ramia chuckled loudly, as if she had amused herself quite a lot with her own joke. Putting away her game console, she continued to gaze at the town that got closer and closer by the minute. The look in her eyes and in her pose... it did bring to mind a certain category of adventurers, usually those wearing a wide-brimmed hat and using a whip. It wasn't that she was old-fashioned, but people like Ramia rarely existed in modern times anymore.

Maybe there was a bit more common to the two of them than first appeared?

"But, looks like you're not a fan, huh?" Ramia continued, nodding towards the scenery. "Don't knock it till you try it, Anna. They're kind enough to feed and house us for a year here, so might as well let them try to impress us."

Ramia folded her arms and nodded sagely, like she had just handed Anna some great piece of wisdom.

"Heck, if I had to choose, I'd take a bodunk little town like this any day over a big city full of cars and pollution," she added. "At least you can hear your own thoughts."

There was certain sense of irony that at that exact moment, a yelp of pain echoed through the bus as an animated-looking girl apparently bit her tongue in her haste to talk. Ramia grimaced.

"... Well, depends on the company, I guess."

She chuckled again.

New Person Met!

Lucille Faraday

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “I wouldn’t have minded taking the aisle seat if you wanted to draw. And if there’s anything you need to see through the window, I’ll try to move a bit so you can get a better view.”
    "That's alright. I was just busying my hands anyhow."

The boy's answer was crisp and clear, just like his voice. There was a hint of accent in it, British no-doubt... but it was very hard to pin-point the exact location. But it did match his rather expensive taste in clothes and clearly well-thought out color palette when it came to dressing, not to mention how well-groomed he was. All in all, he was easy to eyes even to someone like Lucille. Not a bad seatmate, all things considered.

"Wanted to escape this constant buzzing," he continued and made a vague gesture towards the rest of the vehicle's interior. "Helps pass the time too. This trip was way too long. Small wonder no one went crazy from boredom."

Putting aside his notepad for a moment, the boy turned his eyes towards Lucille. Suddenly the blonde girl found herself gazed up and down by a pair of eyes that were taking in every single detail and feature. It wasn't a rude stare, nor an invasive one. It had no exact passion or ulterior motive in it. If one had to describe it, it was more akin to an artist taking in the sight of a piece of scenery he's about to paint.

"In any case, sorry for late introductions. The name's Montjoy. Caleb Montjoy," the boy said and offered his hand. "Another poor sod these people caught and roped into their little science experiment. Hope we'll have a decent year, in any case. Should make for a good distraction from life, if nothing else."

It was a bit strange. While his voice was pleasant to listen to, the way Caleb put his words was rather brusque. Not enough to be rude, but just enough feel little strange. Almost like he was holding back when he was talking.

Still, a polite young man.

New Person Met!

Momoi Hisa

"H-HIE!?"

While the girl next to Momoi had been fidgeting, anxious, about how to start a conversation, it seemed that she gone off completely into her own world. Now that she was actually talked to the little thing practically jumped out of her seat out of surprise. Eyes swirling in her head (and looking rather like a rare about to bolt out of the door), she waved her hands around in a fit of mild panic. It was... amusing to look at, but at the same time a bit worrisome.

Especially when the girl's backpack seemed to share her panic, rustling with increased tempo.

"A-awawa! Sorry, sorry! I w-w-wasn't feeling awkward, if anything, you must have felt more awkward!" the girl hurried to say, shaking her head. "I didn't say anything even though you were right there and instead I just sat here and stared at my feet while I did actually want to talk but I didn't exactly know where to start without coming off as rude so in the end I stayed completely silent forcing you to speak first even though that wasn't my intention at all and so-"

It was a veritable machine gun of words, aimed squarely at Momoi. And it most likely would have continued until the older girl had either spoken loud enough for her seatmate to stop or until Momoi had forcibly put a stop to it by covering the other girl's mouth... but luckily, a surprising visitor appeared to put an end to this silliness from the smaller girl's part.

"Wan!"

It was a surreal sight, but from within the depths of the half-open backpack, a head of an Akita puppy popped out and barked at the panicking, babbling girl.

"W-wha...! No! Ssshhh! Y-you're not supposed to come out yet, what if they hear you!" The smaller girl shushed, trying to push the puppy back into the bag. "N-no, stop licking my hand, we're... we're not there yet! Just wait a bit more and then we can play!"

While the smaller girl was desperately trying to force the playful puppy back into its hiding place, her head turned to look at Momoi... only for her to realize that the older girl had witnessed the whole fiasco. A bright redness creeping on the younger girl's cheeks, she lowered her head a bit, her voice becoming nothing but an embarrassed mumble.

"U-um... Iburi, Subaru Iburi, nice to meet you," she whimpered. "I... I know it might be too much to ask but... but would you be so kind to pretend that you didn't see anything? I'm n-not sure if the school allows pets, see..."

Meanwhile, the Akita puppy wagged its tail inside the bag so furiously the whole thing was moving back and forth.

New Person Met!

Elaine Winters

... The only thing that Elaine got as an answer to her energetic greeting was a very deep and very awkward silence.

The person next to her practically became one with the window, looking almost like she was expecting Elaine to jump at her and gobble her up at any moment. No, not just that, the girl was practically shaking, having been startled by the sudden speech after a journey's worth of silence. Her hands were squeezing each other till they were white and pair of red eyes was darting back and forth, seeking for a way to escape this situation. Unfortunately, there was none. That was the curse of the window seat. Thus, the only choice left to this person was to come up with some answer, any answer, to Elaine's cheerful words.

"... My mom buys my shampoo and conditioner," came a voice that was barely a whisper. "... She says they're very expensive."

And that was all.

Second after another ticked by and the levels of awkwardness skyrocketed. If one thing became painfully clear during this exchange it was that this person next to Elaine was far, far from a people person. Anti-people person was much more like it. After all, there was being socially awkward and then there was clamping one's mouth shut at the first hint of social interaction.

Or maybe this person was just afraid of the far more boisterous girl next to her?

"... I'm Gabi," that tiny voice suddenly continued. "Gabi Bahkauv."

... The speed of this conversation was like pulling teeth.

Very shy and very quiet teeth who would have much rather been completely forgotten and not even been noticed.

But at the very least Elaine's seatmate was giving some answers?

"... It looks like a nice town."

Even if they were rather non-committed and very awkward.

New Person Met!
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; January 8th, 2019 at 10:25 PM.

Elise Pelltier

All in all, it had been a rather enjoyable bus trip. She got a seat at the back of the bus, and pleasant company. The steady flow of small talk with Sakura Tsukioka, and the shared lunch, had led to her having read considerably less of the book she'd packed for the trip than she'd expected. The book, Eye of the World, sat on her lap, unopened and still largely unread. The party still hadn't even left their village yet. She'd largely set the book aside, and was now enjoying the scenery as they approached Road's End, and listening to Sakura talk about the town.

“I am not sure I thanked you properly for the...um, for the meal. I am truly grateful; it was delicious.”

She waited for her neighbour to finish before she added, "Yes, thank you again for sharing your lunch with us, it was greatly appreciated."

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

Oh dear. Already I could tell that I had made a mistake, even as Cesarina shines like the sun is in her smile.

"N-no, it's nothing special, si!" She laughs, clearly pleased with herself. "It's all a matter of perspective! After all, if you're born to a middle-class family, that's the viewpoint you have. It's only by looking at those above or below us that we realize how vast the world is! B-but there's nothing special in it, no, but thank you all the same Alexstraz... Alesxztars... Alezxrats... Ale-ACK!"

This person is a high level idiot.

"Ow-ow-ow-ow... mhy thongue... U-uhm, yes, nothing special Miss Lockhart. We all do our best where we are, and that's that! Even if it might seem special and amazing to you that I'm the heiress to multi-billion dollar company, to me it's as mundane as... as... well, this vehicle for example!"

I glance around the bus. It is indeed, very bus-like, almost mundane in its design and execution. There is nothing interesting about it whatsoever, other then the possible destinations it holds. It is --

"So to answer your question... Being amazing is like breathing to me! That's just how it is!"

-- as simple as breathing.

Yes.

While what Cesarina says is absurd, this is a truth that cannot be denied. Even something as simple as this bus, ordinary and unoriginal, can be interesting if you look at it in such way. Cesarina, despite how ridiculous she may be, is correct. Anything can be interesting.

Even someone like her.

I smile back at Cesarina, inclining my head. "My, my, did that hurt? It's Strah-zah, by the way. Quite simple, really. But it really is amazing to be the heiress to such a corporation, no?"

A stray strand of hair falls in front of my eyes, and I irritably remove it from my vision. Behind Cesarina and I, I hear someone strike out repeatedly. It's quite sad, really, to listen to.

"Whatever brings the likes of you among us mere mortals then, Miss Feroce? After all, I am merely a student, no famous families backing me. It's just me."

My smile grows slightly at my own words. Truth, is, as a whole, something intangible. A lie is not something 'untrue', per se, it is a 'falsehood buried within a seed of truth.'

What I have just told Cesarina Feroce is true. This is undeniable. There is not a single person who knows me that would deny that what I said was true. And yet--

--They would laugh at the very concept of what I just stated.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

This sucks.

It's hot. Too hot. For September, so far North we're nearly in Canada, it's too damned hot.

And it's noisy. So noisy. The radio is leaking some tinny "classic", the others are trying and failing to converse, and this big dumb huge stupid fluffy jackass is blaring the sound of depressed white guy through the world's worst pair of headphones. All of its bouncing off of the bus' interior, mixing up into a big mess.

But worst of all, it stinks. Stinks of thirty different kinds of sweat, of old barf and the harsh cleaning solution used to scrub it off the floors and seats. It stinks of nervous kids on their first day of school, of resentful guardians just trying to get through the day without throwing one of the brats through a window, and this seat in particular smells like a terrified primary schooler that doesn't want to hand the report card to mother.

These smells have nowhere to go, so they build up, trapped in this stale air by a malfunctioning air conditioner, free to assault the bus' occupants, me included.

I'm supposed to be doing something, I think. Or I would think, if I weren't prioritizing survival. Things like "the reason I'm here" take a back seat to making it through the next few minutes.

The sad country boy to my right blares something about good times and girls and probably drugs.

That's it. I'll go crazy if I don't do something right now.

Him. Lion boy. Twice my size, twice as inconsiderate. I get it, lion boy. Everyone else is annoying, right? That's why you're blocking them off. You don't want to be bothered. I can respect that, I can.

But right now, you're bothering me.

I channel all of my aggression into a forceful nudge, kicking the side of my shoe against his. He can't hear me unless I yell and poking him in the side is just asking to get bullied by someone twice my size, so it has to be this. I turn the full force of my glare onto this inconsiderate oaf and point.

At the closed window to his right.

Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier & John Dove

"Oh, think nothing of it! I just happened to pack a little extra, thinking it might work as a good icebreaker for such a long journey... and turns out I was right!" Sakura said and giggled. "Just goes to show that you can bribe anyone to be your friend if you just bring food, mm-mm!"

During the time Elise and John had spent on the bus, one thing had become abundantly clear: Sakura Tsukioka had boundless amount of energy that she wanted to infect anyone she met with. The older girl had been nothing but smiles the whole journey, talking this and that and making constant small-talk in order to keep things interesting even if they had nothing else to do but to sit and wait. However, now that the two of them had acknowledged her cooking as good and had thanked her for it... Sakura Tsukioka was practically glowing.

"Oh and just call me whatever you want! Well, not rude names, of course, but 'Sakura' is just fine!" the older girl said to them with a smile. "... Well, if you want you can call me 'Onee-san', but I don't think we're quite there yet so I'll be patient and wait till you're ready to call me that! Just gotta keep feeding you more food, I suppose, ufufufu~!"

There was something slightly menacing in that giggle, as if a mastermind plotting a dastardly scheme... involving the two of them and food, apparently? Whatever the case, it seemed that this older girl had really taken a liking to both of them. She busied her hands by packing up the remnants of their lunch, putting them back to the wicker-basket with a lid that rested on the empty seat next to her.

"As for plans, well... I suppose I'll make a mad dash to the kitchens of the dorms they mentioned in that pamphlet we got and try to claim it as my own territory," Sakura answered. "Ain't nobody get between me and my culinary dominance, no sirree! Just you wait, those ovens will be mine~!"

Laughing infectiously once more, the older girl then turned her shining eyes to both John and Elise.

"What about you two?" she asked, leaning forward in interest so that she was inches from Elise's face, clearly having no concept of personal space. "Got any plans for the year?"

New Person Met!

Alexstrasza Lockhart

It was clear that Cesarina was very hard trying to act like she had not just made a complete mess out of Alexstrasza's first name, to the point that she feigned momentary deafness when it came to the other's girl's comment on her having bitten her tongue. Instead she snatched onto the next part of the conversation, hastily trying to leave her social faux pas behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "Whatever brings the likes of you among us mere mortals then, Miss Feroce? After all, I am merely a student, no famous families backing me. It's just me."
    This question was met with a rather theatrical sigh, shrug and a shake of a head that seemed to say 'It can't be helped'. Had Cesarina actually rehearsed answering to this line of inquiry? It certainly seemed like that, what with her having such an over-the-top reaction, almost like an actor on a stage.

"The same as everyone else in this vehicle I imagine! The members of this ridiculous school have somehow gotten in their heads that there's something wrong me. Me! Can you imagine anything more ridiculous?" Cesarina asked and laughed at her own words. "I've no doubt the people of Oceandrop Program mean well, but clearly they should do more research before abducting normal teenagers from their homes... err, so to speak. It's not as if they actually kidnapped me."

Cesarina's momentary lapse into a sheepish expression was suddenly replaced by something that could only be called 'sulking'. With her own words she had apparently led herself to a path that made her brows knit together in a rather magnificent way. If nothing else, at least this girl's expressions were rather amusing to watch.

"They somehow convinced my parents with their humbug, to the point I was forcibly sent here. It's ridiculous, ridiculous I tell you!" Cesarina grumbled, indignant. "Claiming that I cannot function normally in a society and that I have trouble connecting with others... they even claimed I have delusions of grandeur! The nerve!"

It seemed that Cesarina Feroce had driven herself to quite fervor.

"I bet they claimed something equally ridiculous about you as well, right?" the green-haired girl asked, offering a look of sympathy towards Alexstrasza.

Prushka

If what Prushka wanted was a reaction... she barely succeeded.

It was like watching a large, lazy predator wake from its sleep after a mosquito managed to get through its thick skin to draw blood. Slowly the golden eyes opened, like a pair of fog lights in the distance. Then that lumbering giant, dressed in white track suit, shifted its attention from its daydreams to the bundle of irritation that was Prushka, fuming on the seat next to it. The volume of the music coming from the headphones didn't die down, being just as easy to hear as before. Right now some old has-been or another was singing about bad attitudes and paper cages.

"..."

Icy-cold, annoyed stare met Prushka's. For a moment it was a pure match of wills, a staring contest with one participant pointing directly towards the closed window in an attempt to get it opened up. After all, judging from the sweat marring even the lanky boy's forehead, even his unflappable attitude had taken a hit from the heat inside the vehicle. Thus, it would have made sense for him to do as suggested, as it would benefit them both.

... So why was his expression one of a man who adamantly refused to do something so logical and helpful?

"..."

One hand was raised and the pair of large headphones was lowered. For a moment the giant of a boy stared at Prushka, as if now, for the first time, really taking the time to look at his seatmate. Then, ever so slowly, a slightly smug grin rose to his face, clearly finding something amusing about the shorter girl. To put it in other words, it was almost as he found Prushka herself amusing somehow.

"... Whaddya want, squirt?" the boy asked, voice tinted by heavy accent. "I'm not giving you my seat. Gawk at the scenery somewhere else."

New Person Met!

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Wait wait wait is she actually relenting? I didn't think I would get this far. No, I knew I wouldn't get this far. It never gets this far. Except the times it does. But those are always just flukes, or me getting played.

But she doesn't seem to be playing.

And maybe it's not a fluke?

"Me neither!" Crap, enthusiasm beginning to spill out. Keep it cool. "Heck, I'm not that confident when it comes to swimming either. Don't think I would go past my knees. But that seems pretty fun to me."

Playing at the beach never seemed so appealing. I always thought those surfer guys and the moms with their kids had it all wrong and the guys who go down south and east to fish had the right idea, but maybe the beach's appeal is a different kind of fishing?

"If you're not sure, think it over. And if you don't have any clothes good for the beach, I bet we could find a shop somewhere. Beach town. Surf shops. Those go hand in hand, right?"

Yeah, back off and give her space to think. It's her choice. Don't pressure her. Be a gentleman.

Or maybe that's the wrong move. Maybe I should keep pressing, seize the opportunity...

I close my eyes and start rubbing my chin.

What do you even do once you get this far?