Page 149 of 244 FirstFirst ... 4999139144147148149150151154159199 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (WED)
    Weather: Overcast

What on earth is she doing here? While I may be moderately interesting, a being such as this tiny morsel should not be spending much time near me. As she peered at my mouth, I smiled at the small being to encourage her.

"Whatever is it, Stephanie?" I asked as I twirled my fork on the eggs, not bothering to eat any. "Am I truly that interesting? Care to share why?"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"...it must hurt a whole lot, huh. Those wounds were pretty deep..."

The cabin looks... kinda spooky now. Did I really march straight for this thing during the test of courage? Right past all these skeletal branches and this creaking, imposing frame? I must've been out of my mind with anger to ignore the heavy atmosphere...

But it's not really as scary when someone inside is cussing up a storm.

"Maybe we should've asked the nurse for some painkillers... but that would've been a whole different problem. Let's hope Hisa's medicine does the trick."

Does the trick and then what? What comes after this? Am I going to give him back his weapons, heal him, and let him loose to do whatever weird thing he's here for?

I didn't really think that far ahead. So there's no reason to think ahead now, either.

First priority is making sure cat-guy doesn't die on me. Second is making sure he doesn't kill me.

"I'll go first, Vivi... sorry for asking for your wings. I didn't realize when it was dark, but I can get in there by climbing those trees and going in through the window. But I'd still feel safer with you here with me. It's not safe to go anywhere alone around here."

With that, I step forward, take a deep breath, and...

"Hold your horses! I'm on my way!"

Holler up at the noisy second floor.

"You keep yelling like that, your sides are gonna bust open! Or worse, whoever poked those holes in you is gonna come back and poke in some more! So if you don't want a repeat of yesterday, just pipe down already!"

Nurses are supposed to be strict, right? I read that in a book somewhere. Ms. Nightingale said so: To help the sick, you have to become a demon if that's what's needed!

There are plenty of trees nearby. And they're easy enough to climb. I lean the Pink Dragon against the side of the house below the window, tighten the straps of my backpack, pull a length of shiny pink skipping rope from one of the pockets, and...

"Hah!"

Throw it up around one of the thicker branches, then grab hold of the other end as it climbs down. I steady my grip on both ends, then run towards and up the nearest tree trunk, gathering just enough speed to grab onto a branch and pull myself onto it before gravity takes hold again. From there, it's just a matter of going from branch to branch, picking the light ones that won't break... a piece of cake compared to some of the stunts that guy had me doing up north. If it were his obstacle course, all the branches would be iced over and covered in snow. And there would be like, alligators and piranhas in swamps down below, somehow.

The trees rattle around me as I climb up, but soon... the window is close enough to see through. And more importantly, go through.

Vivi is having no trouble following behind me, waiting to swoop in in case something goes wrong. With her comforting presence giving me strength...

"Yoisho-!"

I tense my muscles, leap forward, and dive through the open window.
    Last edited by Bloble; July 31st, 2020 at 04:56 PM.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “So you’ve never been to the second floor of the main building, or the old dorms?”
    Jake shook his head.

"Neither of them. Though, I think some of us did spelunk in those parts too. At least I remember few of us getting into trouble when they sneaked into the second floor of the main building, and then the whole class was punished. Must've been Remmie leading the charge, she was always a firecracker, that one," Jake answered with a slight chuckle. "But yeah, never been in them. I mean... I sorta wanted to go, but back then, I was kind of a scaredy cat. Even am one today. Though, uh... don't spread it around too much. It's sorta embarrassing."

Pyry chuckled at that admission. True enough, underneath that laidback attitude, the janitor had his own faults.

Though a bit of cowardice, tempered by common sense, was not the worst one a man could possess.

“I’ll...I’ll have to ruin the whole scary story night - or morning - atmosphere, since I’m quite desensitized when it comes to monsters...But still...are you talking about the Disembodied Man? I’ve heard that it is a being that lurks around these woods, and heard about some of the incidents as well, though...I think the last one I know about is the one that happened in 1960. Or was it something else?”
    That question made Jake pause for a moment.

And when he finally started to talk again, he did so by first shaking his head.

"Nah. That's just a local bogeyman, if anything. But this thing... this thing was real alright. Tore through the forest like it was nothing. At first we thought it was some sorta bear... so the authorities said too... but I dunno," Jake said, biting his lip in a moment of frustration that slipped through. "... I don't think it was one. It almost looked like a human. Almost. The only thing I really remember is fear and then... one, single, red eyes that glowed in the dark of the woods."

The memories must have been painful, as he hastily went for another swig of the cola like it had been alcohol.

"... Not something I'd like to remember again. It comes up in my nightmares enough already."

Meanwhile, however, Hisa's attention had been caught by the girl clinging to her back, almost like she was hiding.

“H-hey, there’s no need to hide. Does he look familiar? I think he might have been here back then as well.”
    Gradient, her eyes downcast, stayed silent for a moment. Then, as if she had gathered her courage, she peeked over Hisa's shoulder and took a look at the janitor who was currently lost in his own thoughts. In that moment, the girl's eyes widened considerably, emanating clear shock and surprise, and then she stepped out from behind Hisa almost purely on instinct. Before anyone could stop her, she walked over to the office table and slammed her hands down onto the surface, leaning over the table towards Jake in a half-threatening, half-puzzling way.

"Muuuuu!" Gradient bellowed loudly.

And oddly enough... her voice sounded almost admonishing?

"W-wait... wait what!?"

This time it was Jake's turn to be shocked.

Eyes wide as plates, the young man stared at Gradient. He had retreated on his chair backwards, his back pressed against the wall, and shock was clear on his face. Then, carefully, as if he could scarcely believe it, the janitor started leaning in closer, taking in the features of the girl's face and how she looked.

And finally one word slipped through his lips.

Or rather, a name.

Spoken with nary a whisper.

"E-Eliya...?"

Elaine Winters & Alexstrasza Lockhart

From the looks of it, the growling had not deterred Tonkori from her prey. Instead, the small puppy had taken a step closer and laid on the table with its oversized head resting on its fluffy little paws, now gazing up at Elaine with dewy eyes, almost like she was begging for a morsel or two. Indeed, there was something about the ways dog could look at humans that was almost impossible to resist, and for some reason, the darn animals tended to learn those looks very young. Even so, Tonkori was an exception among her peers, as her "begging face" was truly something to behold. It tucked at your heartstrings and made you want to cuddle up with it and give her whatever she wanted, if you did not keep your will strong.

And the darn thing knew that.

Her tail was even wagging!

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "Hm, runes, huh? What, this just some junk from a Tolkienite's basement or something? Cutthroat antique dealers hire a professional to pick up some hot merch? Better off the streets, huh? What, this thing dangerous or something? Sounds like some real Maltese Falcon action you got goin' on there. Maybe it's some crusty ancient bastard's phylactery or somethin, hm? Pulled from some old tomb somewhere, now you gotta track it down to prevent the unholy wrath of an ancient sorcerer from the Golden Ages or somethin'. Or, y'know, just some Futhark Graffiti tellin how big some guy's dick was."
    Ramia snorted, chewing on the bacon she had speared with her fork.

"Yeah, wouldn't that be something? Unfortunately, instead of actually interesting stuff like that, it's just dusty museum junk that's better off in a museum than somewhere out here. Not 'cause it's cursed or anything it's just... uh... well, worth a lot of money. And there are people who know that - bad people. So, since I was heading this way, they tasked me to find it since, y'know, I've been around the block and seen stuff like that before - what with my time in Middle-East and the like," Ramia explained with only a little stammer. "So, since I don't want anyone here, or especially in our class, get in trouble for it, I just figured I'd track it, bag it and send it away before it causes any trouble. The sooner the better."

Of course, she was lying.

The last week had said as much.

But the way she phrased the fact that she didn't want anyone to get in trouble over it... sounded genuine.

Had Ramia really been that desperate last Sunday? To go as far as to act so callous, so merciless, so... so much like a soldier-for-hire?

At what point did that infectious grin change into the steel-hard determination to do what she needed to, no matter the methods?

Where did the change from Ramia to Lamia come from?

"... Ugh. I can't believe I just said something belongs in a museum," Ramia suddenly added, groaning loudly. "Anna better not hear I did..."

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "Whatever is it, Stephanie? Am I truly that interesting? Care to share why?"
    The tiny girl blushed slightly and fidgeted with her fingers. She clearly wasn't that used to being addressed by older people, and this whole situation had been overwhelming to her already. That was why she was now avoiding Alexstrasza's gaze, even though she had been staring at the blonde girl quite much earlier. Still, since she didn't seem to just let it go and kept looking at Stephanie, eventually the tiny girl relented and mumbled... something.

Something with a hoarse, squeaky voice that didn't make any sense.

What was that language even? Something from the East?

The confusion deepened for a moment, but it was at that poin that Hwan decided to enter the picture.

"Huh... dunno the full extent of what she said, but..." the white-haired boy said, nodding towards 'Stephanie'. "... I think she said something about seeing a gal like you back at the hospital."

Hwan turned his eyes towards the girl, and Stephanie mumbled something again.

"... A girl with a similar smile?"

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

The sight of Prushka actually being fairly self-sufficient had perhaps made Vivienne wonder if she was really needed here... but that was discounting the fact that Prushka believed the person inside was dangerous enough to attack her, so acting as some sort of safety net was still reasonable enough.

But why risk oneself for someone's else sake? A misguided attempt perhaps at holding a friendship, a mission driven by pity rather than logic? Well, there was a degree of logic here -- if this was a local or someone privy more of the happenings 'behind the scenes' of Road's End, then ultimately this was not a vain venture.

"Be careful... I will... try not to show myself... unless you are in trouble... don't want to... startle the 'cat'..."

There was no need to agitate the person inside after all, though perhaps that their scent would be good enough to pick Vivienne's presence up -- if they were some sort of animal-human hybrid and had heightened senses, masking her arrival onto the rooftop by going up at the same time as Prushka wouldn't be that useful... but well, what else was there to do other than observe how things would play out?

As Prushka got onto the building's roof, Vivienne displayed a rather surprising competency in parkour as she ran up one of the trees next to the cabin and using the momentum from her dash launcher herself onto the top of the roof. Her landing seamless and quiet, its impact barely audible as the wooden tiles had little to no stress exerted on them -- the movement of a well trained acrobat, in the image of the most supple of felines.

Was she used to doing this?

Her eyes trained onto the window that Prushka would eventually go in, she waited, for the time to act, if that ever came.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"And... what art this 'Luca' thou mentioneth? Ist that thy friend of some sort? T'art certainly a pretty name! Art he also the one who gaveth thee that... err, what art that, even? It seemeth like a locket but it's make art very old... extremely old, I wouldst sayeth! Art that similar to my ringwoodite charm?"

“Luca is sorta like a guardian angel mixed with a childhood friend.” For the first time in however long it might have been, Colt found himself talking about Luca to someone that wasn’t Luca. “When I was a kid, I, my house, my family. There was an accident. A fire. Luca saved me and gave me this.”

Those events were a memory from many years ago. One that had faded and distorted as time went. Many details had left the boy's recollection as he aged, and with them had healed many wounds. It was easier than expected to recount just what had happened, as far as he recalled.

As he said so, the boy brought the locket closer to the stone that Tris called a ‘ringwoodite charm' to compare them side by side as well as for Tris to get a better look.

"Oh, it art! Though, I must sayeth... that pointer art a heck of a lot easier to use, I presumeth. And here I thought thou sayeth that thou werest not part of the supernatural world!"

“Huh? I’m not part of that crazy world‘n stuff, and whaddya mean it’s a heck of a lot easier to use? This thing is just constantly…” Colt’s voice trailed off as he looked back at the locket’s compass, the needle of which was now pointing straight. “… Constantly…”

The boy’s eyes nearly popped out of his skull.

“Holy mother of…! I’ve had this thing my whole life and it’s NEVER pointed like that. Is it…” Colt glanced in the direction, South-East. There was just a wall there, but he tried to piece together a map of the town as far as he knew it. There were a few places that way he knew of. “Is it… because of your stone? Making it act normal? Well, abnormal, but for a regular compass this would be almost normal. Aside from not pointing north…”

Colt stared at the needle, then to the South-East, then to the compass, then to Tris.

“Say… Tris, do you have any plans for the day?”

Maybe he would be skipping class.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

The mention of the bear sized, humanoid monster with a single red eye sounded too familiar. Almost like…

I gave Pyry a meaningful look as Jake finished his explanation, hoping that he too would realize. It was just last night...so he should remember too, that flashback I showed him in the dorms, with the monster that could be described in an awfully similar manner…

Still, there was no reason to push that any further. It was apparent that while Jake was vaguely acquainted with some of these things...he doesn’t actually know, or truly believe about the supernatural. Besides, it sounded like he wouldn’t know much else about it anyways.

“Well...hopefully you won’t have to.”

It sounded like that monster’s been causing way too much trouble already. Twenty years ago, about nine years ago, and now it’s here again...Or still here, rather.

Gathering her courage, Gradient escaped the cover of my body...and what followed was both surprising, and also something that I hoped I could expect.

“Eliya?”

So they did know each other. But…

“Do you know her?”

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My smile slipped a bit, behind dancing eyes and sparkling words. It was a bit disconcerting, to say the least. I was hard pressed to imagine anyone all that similar to be but myself, in all honesty. As a person, I am somehow unique yet abnormal in spite of it.

I smiled.

"Well, I have not visited any hospitals in a week, Miss Stephanie. You can assume that the person you saw was probably not me!"

I gave the girl a tiny thumbs up before turning to Hwan.

"Thank you for translating," I said as I lazily turned the food around my fork, watching it. "I don't think we've met. I am Alexstrasza, and you are?"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Prushka & Vivienne Bianchi

As Prushka tumbled into the room, only silence met her.

Only silence... and a single eye that was trained at her, glaring a hole through her.

A quick look around the room revealed just what had been going on here. The few objects that there had been around the room, mostly just dusty old books, empty bean cans and what-not, had been thrown against the spot where a door had once been. Now there was nothing more than a sight of a collapsed part of the building, meaning that the connection to the rest of the house had been cut off. There was no way to get out that way anymore, and even for beings of Turnside, jumping down from the second floor while injured was no joke. Perhaps if he had gotten more time, the 'patient' would have done so, but right now...

... He simply sat there.

Lazily, at the bed.

Glaring at Prushka with suspicion and anger in his visible eye.

His fur and hair was standing up, and his hand was going for a weapon that he no longer had.

And when he realized that...

"Huh. I don't know if you're a moron or just naive, but I can't believe you came back, Imp," the young man said, his eyes narrowed and teeth bared into a sort of a snarl. "Any sane person would have either slit my throat then and there, or taken off and never coming back. After all... you cauterized me so fucking badly I passed out from the pain. Even you should have figured I'd be pissed off as hell and ready to strangle a midget."

A bout of silence - loaded silence.

Like gun against your forehead.

"... But I'm smelling food from you. So, just this once, I'm gonna make an exception. Hand that over and I don't get physical. I'll even throw in a thanks for the yesterday, 'cause I'm fucking starving," he grunted, and just like that, his anger seemed to subside just a bit. "In other words, I'm trading your safety and even a bit of gratitude for whatever grub you're carrying. A chance like this ain't gonna come again, so you better take it, Imp."

He was about to say more... but then, out of nowhere, he frowned. Not at Prushka, but more to himself.

Almost as if he didn't like something he just said.

"... And while you're at it, gimme your name. I want to know who was stupid enough to save the life of someone like me," the man continued, a dry, evil grin rising to his face. "I mean, even you should have realized your mistake by now. Yeah, the one whose life you oh-so-kindly saved was none other..."

That sneer revealed the sharp canine teeth.

"--- Than Ahti Jalopeura."

New Being Met!

Colt Davin

Tris blinked in surprise.

"N-nay, I cannot say I have. In the first placeth, I hath figured I'd simply acteth as thy guardian wherever thoust'd go. T'was the plan, was it not?" the girl replied, looking a bit confused. "S-so, if thoust've plans made set, 'tis my duty to accompanieth thee wherever thou goeth! W-well, though I wouldst not mind a break for a dinner or so. A-and looking for the missing partner of mine. But these art but mine own plans, and I can handleth them whenever thou art asleep or otherwise occupied!"

Well, from the looks of it, if Colt was planning on skipping class (again) Tris would be there to accompany him. Which, in turn, would satisfy Hisa's order of not going anywhere alone. And out of the whole group, the knightess did seem like a good partner to have when sleughting around town, trying to make sense of the mysteries around them. After all, while she was not the type to be of any help when it came to solving this stuff, she was still strong - strong enough to give Hawthorn a pause. And that sword of hers would definitely make any opponent think twice before going after Colt.

Though... was she planning on carrying it around while accompanying Colt...?

"As for thy compass... well, I cannot say," Tris then said. "Mine charm is naught but a relay, once which I can use for communicationeth with my kingdom's top minds. 'Tis made from mineral abundant in where I art from, and thus, hath many latent magical properties - ones that were refined with these runes. So, I do not thinketh that art the reason for thy locket's sudden function but..."

Tris stroked her chin in momentary thought.

"Art it not a compass? So, if it art now pointing at something, whereas it didst not before, mayhaps that mean..." She said, before looking at the locket, then at Colt. "... Whatever it points to hath finally appeared?"

Hisa Momoi

“Eliya? Do you know her?”
    Jake looked like a shocked fish, opening and closing his mouth without finding the right words to say. Gradient, on the other hand, was wearing a complex looking expression. On the other hand, she seemed quite smug about being recognized by the young man, but at the same time, it was almost as if she was slightly disappointed... but in what, that was unknown. Perhaps it was the lack of words from Jake, or the fact that he hadn't reacted in a way she had anticipated, or something else, but...

It was clear that they would get nowhere until the janitor got over his shock.

Which was why Gradient simply chopped him in the forehead lightly, breaking him out of his feedback loop.

"O-ow, Eli, cut it out dude!" Jake yelped, rubbing his forehead while Gradient grinned mischievously. "That ain't cool, I was just... just at a loss of words! I mean, you just took off one day and we never found out where you went so..."

Leaning back, Jake took in the look of the girl before him, and after a moment of inspection, he let out a low whistle that almost sounded impressed.

"Dudette... you turned into a proper young lady, didn't you? Just like Remmie promised. Hah, wish she could see you now..." Jake said, before leaning over and ruffling Gradient's hair, causing the latter to squee in delight. "Man, I ain't seen you in forever! What the heck are you doing back in this neck of the woods? And with them, even?"

Still chuckling in delight, Jake turned to look at Hisa and Pyry, wide grin now adorning his face.

"Heck yeah, I know this dudette! This is Eliya! Or rather, Lil' Eli as we used to call her! She was the youngest of the bunch at our school... though she wasn't exactly a student. Just a nosy, precocious ten-year-old who liked to sneak into our classrooms to listen in, and hang out with us and get in trouble. Heck, she was practically glued to Remmie's side when the latter went exploring places - just like I told you just now. The main building, the saw mill in the woods, all sorts of places."

Still laughing in a way that only a person reunited with their old friend can, Jake's hair-ruffling turned into an impromptu noogie, which caused Gradient to shriek in mock-horror. The girl dodged underneath the janitor's arm and then dove behind Hisa for cover, popping back up over her shoulder to blow a raspberry at the young man. Jake chuckled heartily and sat back on his chair, now grinning widely as he continued talking. Even his eyes were shining with new sort of excitement.

"Where the heck did you meet her? I thought she had left the town," Jake asked. "And, does she still talk all funny-like? Like one of those sound books featuring barnyard animals?"

Even Pyry had hard time hiding his amusement at how giddy the usually laid-back janitor now looked.

Elaine Winters

I stared at Ramia for a long series of seconds, letting the sheer amount of doubt I had on my face convey my opinion of what she had just said.

'Just worth a lot of money'.

Feh.

Even if I didn't already know where this line led, I wouldn't have bought that.

Probably.

"I didn't say it was cursed," I pointed out.

I leaned on the table a bit, letting my eyes gleam, "Cursed treasure, hm? Interesting! Maybe I'll see if I can dig this thing up for myself, huh? Certainly not afraid of a little bit of danger."

If it was anything connected to that thing, it has my interest.

It is something that should not exist in this world.

Things like it only persist to cause suffering, nothing that crosses the bounds in a way it did is anything that should be allowed to continue breathing on this side of the world.

It is in their nature, same as the scorpion.

Monsters, beasts that prey on man, even if they play within rules, with their little puppet shows...

Even-

I blinked, hard.

I brought a hand up to my face, rubbing at my eyes, groaning a bit.

"Barely half-way through the week and I'm already getting migraines, sheesh. Just talkin' about your cursed treasure and it's causing damage, Dr Jones. Should find it quick."

I winked.

"Before someone else finds it first, y'know?"

I splayed a hand over my chest, "I, personally, am only a humble academic," I began, affecting a mild, slurring Scottish accent, "I am not one to have very nefarious intentions. But I suppose I'll let you know if I see any Nazis stomping around."

I chortled merrily to myself, chowing away at the mass of food on my plate.

Then I swallowed, "But hey, y'know, as a fellow person looking into things about town, figure I may as well ask you. Ever heard of something called T41? Or maybe D-D Syndrome?"

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    “The tombstone unfortunately does not give exact dates, only that she was born on 1971 and passed away on 1987.”
    "I was hoping really hoping she'd have an exact date on her tombstone... Still... 1987, eh? I suppose that still narrows it down a little bit," muttered Elise, "Thanks, John! That saves me a trip to the cemetery, although I should still head out that way to pay my respects to Remmie."

“No, I would say I know very well to be wary of the Disembodied Man by now. As for the ‘woman with the eyepatch’, her name is Dot F. Loonwaters: the one lurking in the woods around the clearing where we encounter Muse.”
    "I heard that Prushka was attacked by something in her dream last week... I guess that was the woman with the eyepatch then?" speculated Elise, "I haven't had the chance to talk to Prushka about that yet, but I was attacked outside the clearing too in my first dream. The mist turned hostile and nearly suffocated me before I made it to Muse's clearing.."

Dot F. Loonwaters? What a name. Should I? No, no. You already know that's a terrible idea.

John said something that sounded like a disparaging comment about 'Doctor Sexy, MD' to which Elise muttered something about it being a compelling medical drama.

“It is my shame to admit that I have not much in the way of practical skills to offer in these circumstances. I know something about computers and vehicles from my part-time jobs, I guess. Aside from that…I think I can answer questions concerning ancient, esoteric lore; the mystic and the supernatural. Then again, as I am lacking formal instruction or the backing of an organization, I would not be surprised if everybody else in this school is better versed than I am in such matters. In that case, I can only offer my personal collection for your perusal, in case there is need for occult knowledge not already in our minds.”
    Elise's eyes lit up at the mention of John Dove's personal collection of occult books.

"Oh! I might have to take you up on that offer. I've reached a few dead ends in my own research, and could certainly use another perspective on things. I've been trying to figure out how our little travel back through time actually works, and I've got some ideas, but nothing concrete yet. There's a few things I think I need to know more about before I can really wrap my head around it."

Which is also incidentally related to the Other Matter In My Head, thought Elise, Oh! I haven't had any access to any meaningful collection of occult knowledge since they forcibly dragged me out of the library and told me they were sending me to Pinefall!

“Miss Pelltier, as I said before, I trust you to reveal and withhold information at your discretion. If you do not wish to talk with me about this matter, you do not have to force yourself. In any case, I did not see anything that can change my opinion of you, so you have no reason to worry on that regard.”
    Elise nodded, and said nothing more on the matter. Content to let it drop for now. She glanced at John on last time, before turning her gaze away, staring off towards the horizon.

He knows. All it would've taken then would've been a look into my eyes during our little chat last night. If he knows anything about the occult like he says does he knows. How can he know and take it in stride like that? Then again, I suppose Vier peeked inside my head and got snarled at by it, and she still made me soup... thought Elise frantically, Still... if he knows about the occult, and has access to some occult texts, that might go a long way towards helping me get an even better grip on the squatter in my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille Faraday
    “Perhaps it’s the medication Miss Min offers to the students? Last week, after my… scuffle with Xylia, it turned out she offered me the same medication Xylia takes. I didn’t even attempt to take it last week, but perhaps…”
    "Might be worth a shot? I'm hesitant to suggest intentionally trying to get ourselves into trouble, but it wouldn't be hard for us to stage a scuffle. No need to drag Xylia through that again. If that isn't the medication we're looking for, and it does have some adverse effects, I should be able to purge it from your system. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if Hisa could."

John raises a question about any additional church operatives in Road's End, and Lucille answers the question, bringing up the matter of her missing contact first.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille Faraday
    “There is an operative Elise was supposed to meet, Devon Rustfield, but neither she nor I knows where he is supposed to be.”
    Elise nodded.

"Actually, from what I've been able to gather, Ms. Popplewell was the last person to have seen Devon Rustfield. I, uhm, I was going to ask her about that last week when we ran into each other at the store, John, but I got nervous and didn't want to be caught asking any particularly strange questions within earshot of another student," admitted Elise, "I wasn't sure if I could trust you or not, and, well, I'm sorry about that. I'd planned to follow up on that and go back to the store later, but one thing after another, and I just didn't get the chance after that... I'm hoping to ask her about that when we're there today."

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Nora Norumberg
    "That would be missing woodsmen... or rather, those who worked for the saw mill. Many have gone missing over the years after they closed down the McLampet Mill, to the point you can find their graves set up in a particular way at the graveyard. And aboot the family that runs the town, well... yes. They have been as ill-fated as this town. One could even say that their fate has been the fate of this town. Though for that, you would have to talk to those who know the local gossip better than I do."
    Quote Originally Posted by Liana
    "I see. There's normally something like that in these sorts of towns... Easier to get lost when you're already far away from modern civilization."
    “It does seem a bit weird that woodsmen of all people managed to get themselves hopelessly lost in the forest next to town.”

In fact, the reason why I thought it was more likely for it to be a Turnside group then anything was the rather target selection. Since it seemed to leave most of the townspeople alone. Yet, it targeted the Lumber Mill workers, the McLampets, and then foreigners. The selection of targets was a little too specific for it to be most Turnside creatures.

"I am here just for these, not that much for human interaction."

"Oh? Do you study all day? That's an admirable spirit for a student to have, but I think it's important to take breaks from schoolwork every once in awhile, you know? Sometimes I go out and sing for fun, although nowadays I mostly just go for rides on the skateboard, helps to clear the thoughts a bit."
    Liana pauses for a bit as if she was a little embarrassed by what she going to say.

"...Of course, I also used to read Le Morte d'arthur by myself for fun, and try to translate old texts just to see what they say... Yeah, maybe I'm not one to talk about taking breaks from books..."
    “Umm… I’m not much better either in terms. If I have the opportunity to, I would rather relax by reading a book or going on a hiking trip by myself or with my best friend.”

Not that I would mind going on a “hiking trip” with everyone but my hiking trips might be a little… too intense for normal people and not physically trained Turnside members. It would be better to describe my hiking as… a marching in full gear though. Granted I’m content to let people talk while just looking around.

"Ah yes. You're talking aboot this book? Well, it's more of a hand-written journal than an actual book, but it certainly has some interesting stuff."
    “So does the book have things other than myths and legends in it? Because ain’t that a little bit weird?”

Actually it’s more like a handwritten encyclopedia of the Turnside. Well I never managed to confirm the authenticity of it, but it seemed to be a good source of information for me to start my assumptions. I skimmed the journal a bit, since I already it once before.

"...It mentions a song centered around the Disembodied Man in here, have you found that part yet? Surprised they didn't put it in with the rest of the information on this page. Seems like it'd be a pretty important part of it's story."
    “Hmm… A song. I can only imagine a local made it? But was it the original native or the later European population?”

"Then again... This library is delightfully whimsical with it's organization, might be fun just hunting it down in here..."
    “I don’t share your enthusiasm for searching for books. I might end up sorting it out of frustration if I end up looking for too long.”

Thankfully I didn't happen to come here long enough to actually sort. Maybe if I had more time last week but I would've considered it. This time, I was only here for one reason which was for that book she had in her hand.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"Art it not a compass? So, if it art now pointing at something, whereas it didst not before, mayhaps that mean... Whatever it points to hath finally appeared?"

“Sorry, Mr Oceandrop. I owe you big, too big to skip twice in a row, but…” Speaking to himself, referring to a man that the knight before him likely did not know, Colt met the eyes of Tris and exhaled in resignation. “I can’t pass this up.”

Colt didn’t flip the locket closed or pocket it. This sight was too spectacular and wondrous to him. The boy imagined the pain he might feel if he put it away, then opened it again to find the needle flying about without discernable purpose.

“If you’re okay with it, I’d like you to come with me.” He asked the knight, nodding in the direction the needle indicated. “I’d go alone but… this town ain’t safe. And even though this was a gift from Luca, from a friend I trust, who saved my life more than once…”

Colt still remembered the way Pyry had spoken of the locket. The way it had wrung his arm, threatening to tear it off. How he spoke of the symbol etched on the old silver.

“Well, I’d feel safer with you,” he scratched the back of his head. “After, I’ll treat you to that dinner break you mentioned.”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

Heavy.

That one eye's gaze is unbearably heavy. It's the weight of a soul that has taken life before, and would do so again.

And that name, Ahti Jalopeura... he threw it at me as hard as he threw that knife yesterday. Like it's a name of a notorious criminal feared by the public or something. Or in this case, would the public be the Turnside? Either way...

"It's Prushka," I reply, as I slip the backpack off my shoulders and set it on the ground. "And I'll have you know the one who saved your life is one of the Pinefall crazies. If you think you can impress me by throwing around your name like that, you'll be sorely disappointed. I might be an idiot, but right now you're the guy who needed to be saved by an idiot. Luckily for you, this idiot doesn't half-ass things."

From within the backpack, I remove a tray wrapped up in tinfoil, packed to the brim with scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and all the condiments you could ask for. It's followed shortly by a thermos full of soup, several juice boxes, one more thermos - coffee this time - as well as some napkins. This is... a bit too much for just breakfast. But you need to eat a lot to heal, right? And depending on how effective Hisa's medicine is, the patient might be stuck here for longer than just this morning.

Yeah, he's not a scary Turnside bogeyman; he's my patient. Ms. Nightingale said it, right? 'How very little can be done under the spirit of fear.' That means if you're afraid, you won't get anywhere! So you can't be afraid of him, Prushka! If anything, he's gonna be afraid of you, because you're the one responsible for his well-being!

Speaking of well-being...

"I'll examine your wounds while you eat. It's only been a night; they better not have gotten infected..."

I take a deep breath, not taking no for an answer, and march towards the big scary cyclops while holding the tray of food.

It's only then that what Ahti actually said comes back to me with a pang.

This guy... he's deep in the Turnside, huh? But more than that... he's a warrior. Someone whose body bears scars from a hundred battles, who likely fights for a living. Some soldiers never leave the battlefield, I was once told. Some bring that war home with them and carry it every day. They never really stop being afraid.

I meet Ahti's single eye as the distance between us closes. Is he afraid, too?

That's no good. You can't get better if you're afraid.

"...that world you live in, where it's common sense to slit the throat of a complete stranger... Maybe it's right outside Road's End, maybe it's right outside this cabin, but it's not here. That's not where you are right now."
    Last edited by Bloble; August 1st, 2020 at 12:21 AM.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Date: 08.09.1994

Naturally, by this point we have already left Pinefall behind. We are now surrounded by the ever-sparse streets of Road’s End. It is true their conversation is full of the supernatural, but if anybody is listening in on them right now, then they could listen in on them anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise Marie Pelltier
    “Oh! I might have to take you up on that offer. I've reached a few dead ends in my own research, and could certainly use another perspective on things. I've been trying to figure out how our little travel back through time actually works, and I've got some ideas, but nothing concrete yet. There's a few things I think I need to know more about before I can really wrap my head around it.”
    “If my collection can help resolve this situation in any way, then you are more than welcome to use it.”

Making it the first time he shows it to other people, for that matter.

“It is unfortunately rather lacking in materials from outside the Western world, for reasons I think I do not need to explain.”

Somewhat expectedly, Elise Marie chooses silence on her private matter. If anything, it is convenient—he already has plenty of things to worry about as it is. If a reason comes to make Elise Marie’s business his own, then he will deal with it, not earlier.

When Lucille Faraday reveals her relationship with Sakura, John has to hold back a sigh. It remains as incomplete a piece of evidence as Elaine’s testimony, yet it feels like further confirmation. The obvious conclusion is generally the correct one. Sakura Tsukioka killed Alexstrasza, and was in turn (likely) killed by Elaine Winters.

They are unsettling bonds, those connecting the students of Pinefall.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise Marie Pelltier
    “Actually, from what I've been able to gather, Ms. Popplewell was the last person to have seen Devon Rustfield…”
    “So I hampered your investigation on that day. That is regrettable.”

He cannot apologize for that, however.

“Let us correct that today, yes. Now, I would like to confirm who among the student body remember that week. To my knowledge, aside from the three of us, Prushka, Alex—um, Miss Lockhart, Momoi, Davin and Vandemeel remember, and I strongly suspect Elaine does as well. I also know Pyry did not remember, but Momoi clued him in on the situation. I am almost certain Ubon, Ramalsaqr, and Miss Iburi do not remember. Nubatama probably does not remember, either, but I could be wrong. Miss Faraday just established that Sakura does not remember. Any names you care to add?”

John hopes they understand the point of this exercise. This is not a situation that will be resolved by one, two, or three people. There are too many variables, too many elements, too many threats from too many sides.

“This isn’t just about the Disembodied Man and Dot F. Loonwaters. If most of the student body belongs to the Turnside, then they brought the Turnside along with them, with all its risks and all its hostility. We are also facing our combined supernatural history.”

That is, precisely, why he hesitates to talk about Her to these two. No matter how powerful She may be, or little She may care for him or his feelings, he cannot stop himself from caring. He wishes for her wellbeing, just as much as he wishes for Her not to threaten the wellbeing of anybody else.

However, he knows. That the colorless world is unkind. That there is a very strong possibility that, one day, he will have to make a choice. The question is, then: will the chains binding his soul to Her even give him a choice? His mind is so twisted that he can separate his attachment to Her from the detached rationality he uses on everybody else. However, will he be able to do that forever? Will he be able to do that at the critical junction? Would that be the right thing to do at the point?

Those are the questions that helped him stay awake last night, while he waited on a sofa for her classmates to return.

“Now, let me share with you the words spoken by the Disembodied Man.”

Quote Originally Posted by The Disembodied Man?
    Y_O_U__D_I_D__N_O_T__P_R_O_T_E_C_T__I_T_.

I_T__W_I_L_L__N_E_V_E_R__E_N_D_.

U_N_L_E_S_S__Y_O_U__A_L_L_._._.

._._._R_E_C_O_L_L_E_C_T__Y_O_U_R__C_R_I_M_E_.

“Make of it as you wish. My guess is that something happened on Tuesday the 6th. Something for which the Disembodied Man has declared us guilty. I suspect it may be connected to the disappearance and replacement of Elizaveta Vyraj, but I have no real evidence to support that. It is nothing but a hunch.”

He allows the time for the ladies to process those words, and perhaps provide their input, before he moves to a target of self-interest.

“Actually…I have to ask a question that, I think, will sound strange to your ears. Nevertheless, I would be grateful if you could help me with this.”

Was there really a need for such an ambiguous preamble?

“In the time since we arrived here, how many people with light blue hair have you met?”
    Last edited by Daneel Rush; August 2nd, 2020 at 11:57 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Anna let out a small yawn and stretched her hands slightly, even as her eyes tracked the movement of the vanishing figures.

In the end, she was left standing alone in the hallway as Winters, Bin, the smaller lass, and Dove all filtered out after another and vanished into the wood-covered hallway of the dorm.

All things considered, she might have touched a nerve there, but… eh. Despite what that oriental mercenary may think, it wasn’t Anna’s role to pander to anyone's insecurities. Or deal with their empty grudges or meaningless bruised pride for that matter. Her blonde classmate would take care of the girl they picked up. That was all that mattered. Other than that…. dancing around eggshells as if she was doing a bad kaerajaan impression wasn’t really her style.

What was, was. Despite all the nonsense that this “school” peddled about “learning to accept society”, Anna had no intention to change who she was just to appease those around her.

People could like her or not. It was up to them. She would deal with things her own way, either way.

The tracksuited girl let out another yawn as she ran her hand through her hair in a lazy fashion.

Magavale kassile hiir suhu ei jookse, I suppose. Might as well be out and about, while I’m at it.”

Less then a minute later, Anna emerged from the dorm. Gray, cloudy skies floated above, giving the morning it’s melancholy glow. One might even call it the “Road’s End Special”. Gray and gloomy was the name of the game here. Especially for this week.

A bit further away from the entrance, Anna could already make out the older Mitchell brother in his usual “fake punk” getup, draped in his red hoody, with his orange-ish hair poking out from under the hood.

“Morning.” There was a slight rustle of plastic cloth, as the red-eyed girl gave the boy a lazy wave. “Dove mentioned that you were looking for me?”

“I’d ask for your name….” A wry glint flickered in Anna’s eyes for a moment. “But I have a sneaking suspicion you’re the villainous older-brother kind of guy who tragically ends up hiding the hero’s video game console in the garage or something.”

Hisa Momoi

“H-hey, don’t make fun of her way of talking,” I reprimanded Jake while reaching back to pat Gradient’s head, “There’s nothing wrong with it, and she isn’t a little girl either anymore!”

Still, that would explain why she might remember the second floor. I would be willing to take a wild guess that the person she drew was likely one of Jake’s friends as well, but I can just ask her about that later…

Though, the lumber mill, huh…

“But...well, she was just here.”

...In a pod in the middle of a crater, dressed in some futuristic armor. Yeah, perhaps I should skip on the details.

Where was she during those years then, indeed…

“Though we couldn’t really find out much about her, so it’s a relief that you know her.”

In the meantime, my mind focused on Pyry’s for just a moment, only so that I could initiate a connection once he let me in.

”Do you think we can trust him? He seems like just an ordinary, honest guy, but at the same time...he seems to be in the middle of all of this somehow, and could very well be hiding some information.”

After I asked the question that could only be heard about Pyry’s mind, my focus was on the matter of Jake and Gradient again.

“Did she not have any relatives though? Didn’t you find it weird that she was just there, that she couldn’t really talk, and then just disappeared? A ten years old girl, at that?”

It was too weird.

And for him to just believe that without any concerns or questions…

”Remember Angelica’s warning? She said that the janitor of the school should be questioned...But about what? It must be somehow related to the incident, so it’s definitely not just something ordinary...But what if it’s not even Jake, but Billie then...the old janitor who now tends the bar, that is.”

As all those words formed in Pyry’s mind, my eyes were locked onto Gradient. I was expecting an answer from her just as much I was expecting from Jake. Since she remembered him, she must have remembered certain other things as well…

“A caretaker? A place where she lived?” The questions continued, “Was she there as well when that incident happened?”

Last edited by Cheetose; August 1st, 2020 at 04:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "But hey, y'know, as a fellow person looking into things about town, figure I may as well ask you. Ever heard of something called T41? Or maybe D-D Syndrome?"
    Ramia thought about it for a moment, chewing on her bacon as she did.

However, eventually, she simply had to shake her head.

"Nah, sorry. I mean, we haven't been here for long, so it's just possible I haven't run into stuff like that. But... hmm..." She paused to stroke her chin, before offering another idea. "Have you looked into the End's Mercy? That hospital's all pop and modern these days, thanks to all the money Mr. Oceandrop loaded on it. Mostly because of us, of course, but they might have some info. Or heck, Ms. Leuzinger might know something too. I mean, under the assumption that 'syndrome' makes this some sorta medical thing."

While Ramia's response was a logical one, it was also not the one that Elaine was most likely looking for. Considering that 17 came from End's Mercy, asking around there might have raised some unwanted eyebrows. As did sneaking into the place without a plan. They seemed to have their own private security detail after all, so they must have had everything under lock and key. Then again, maybe Ramia, as someone in that business herself, might be able to shed light on such a security detail.

And then there was Ronja Leuzinger...

A mysterious teacher to be sure.

In fact, all of the teachers were.

However, at the same time over at another part of the table, something groan-worthy was happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "Thank you for translating. I don't think we've met. I am Alexstrasza, and you are?"
    "Hwan Bin. Though you can just call me Hwan," the white-haired boy said, leaning on his elbow in an attempt to look suave. "And no need to thank me baby - just applying some skills I already have. You know how it is. Some people are just born multi-talented, whether it comes to languages, knowledge or what-not. It's not big deal, none at all~"

Judging by that shit-eating grin, Hwan was like a piranha who tasted blood in the water, and was now swimming closer and closer to Alexstrasza... though in this case, the nature of the predator was far more "teenage" in its desires.

"And yeah, I know who you are - caught a glimpse of you last night, and you certainly left an impression," Hwan continued 'smoothly'. "How are you digging the place so far? Pretty different from a normal school, am I right?"

Oh boy.

Vier Wolff & Liana Skye

"No. It's not written down there in the journal, and so far I haven't found any mention of it in the books aboot local folklore I've found," she replied, sounding somewhat disappointed herelf. "If I had to guess, I would have to go interview some of the locals, but ah... as said, I'm not much of a people person. My friends across the border say I'm too curt, as if that's somehow a personality flaw. Nevertheless, conducting field interviews is not in my repertoire... though this time, I might have to make an exception."

Having said that, Nora walked walked over to one of the small tables hidden amidst the rows and rows of bookshelves. On it was a small backbag, and judging by how it's navy blue colour matched her hair perfectly, it was quite obviously hers. Setting the journal she had gotten back from the girls to the table, Nora started rummaging through her bag, eventually emerging with something that looked like her personal notebook.

Small, clad in navy blue faux-leather, full of pages with lines already present.

After tapping the surface of the book for a bit, she thumbed through the pages until she found what she was looking for.

"Here we go. I've written down few names in case I'd need to do interviews such as this. Even among the locals, there are those who apparently know more than others, which is just natural," Nora explained. "First, there's Mr. Halloway, but... I think you've seen how he is. It'd be easier to make a rock talk. Then there's Old Beatrice, a sort of a local 'crazy old broad' as people so nicely tend to put. She lives in the McLampet manor, but takes a stroll down the seaside every once in a while. There's Tommy Horse, who apparently is of the Klallam blood - I've heard they had this wonderful old map of the area, from the time when no settlers had come yet. Of course there's also the local hermit who lives out at the White Pine Mountain, but ah... I haven't seen a hair of him since my arrival. And on top of that, there can easily be more people of interest, but I just haven't heard aboot them yet."

It was at this point that Vier started noticing something odd.

Something was off.

Or rather, something that she had been expecting to happen hadn't... despite everything else having happened so far.

The note.

It hadn't fallen from within the journal.

Almost as if...

As if it was missing.

Colt Davin

"Thou only haveth to ask!"

Finishing her cup and rising from her seat, Tris did an odd little salute that wasn't exactly like any modern military salute that Colt was familiar with. Still, the intent of the girl was clear. She had been going on about her code of chivalry and how a knight should act, so it was no surprise that when a chance presented itself, she jumped into action. And more than that, she had been willing to help a total stranger, without asking, last night against an opponent that was ready to kill. Therefore it was no surprise that she was willing to join the boy on his quest to make sense of the strange behavior of his locket.

"Shalt we go immediately? If I art not mistaken, I spied upon these wheeled steeds at the corner of this campus - mayhaps we could borroweth those!" Tris asked, glancing towards the window and the overcast sky beyond it. "'Twouldst enhance our haste greatly as we maketh our wayeth to the town of Ending Road! We might even be able to catch the target pointed by the compass thou carrieth!"

Having said that, Tris pounded her ample chest once with her fist, and grinned.

"And before thou asketh, have no fear - I art capable of going out like this! If danger approacheth, I will simply call upon my armor and blade, to have them set themselves upon me in magical manner!" She explained. "A true knight art not ever unarmed!"

Well, that took care of the biggest problem.

After all, someone like her walking around with that ridiculous sword of hers...

Would have definitely drawn attention.

... Not that she didn't draw attention in a whole other way, too.

Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "...that world you live in, where it's common sense to slit the throat of a complete stranger... Maybe it's right outside Road's End, maybe it's right outside this cabin, but it's not here. That's not where you are right now."
    The one, singular, ice-blue eye stared at Prushka like yet another sword aimed at her throat. For a moment, there was naught but complete silence hanging between the two. The small girl carrying a tray of food, looking to feed the man who had threatened her with violence and to treat his wounds... and the young man, clad in only his pants and his cloak, glaring at the one who had had the nerve to save his life.

It was a bizarre situation to be sure.

But the people and beings of Turnside rarely operated on normal logic.

But yet...

"Hmh. Whatever."

Ahti simply snorted coldly at Prushka's words and snatched the tray from her hands, showcasing that even though he was wounded, he was still quite fast and had considerable amount of power in his hands.

Manners, on the other hand, he didn't have.

Affter all, instead of using any instruments, he simply started shoveling the food in his mouth with his fingers like a man possessed, showcasing clear signs of someone who had been starving just a minute ago. It might have been wise to prepare all that liquid to drink, because if he continued like that, he would eventually start choking.

Still, while Ahti focused on the food to the point that his tail was softly swishing to and fro like a cat that was both happy and ready to claw the face of anyone who got too close, this presented a good opportunity to take a look at the state of his wounds. His midsection, which had been treated and dressed up by Prushka earlier last night, didn't show any signs of having its stitching coming undone. Even the splotches of blood on the gauzes was dried out, meaning he had been bleeding only after the operation - not recently. All of these were good signs, especially considering that he must have been moving around as he threw all those things at the door that had disappeared. All-in-all, his bare chest looked like it was in the best possible shape given the circumstances and what had happened.

Though... should it have been this easy?

Had Prushka really done such a good job?

Or was there some sort of natural healing ability at bay?

It was hard to say.

"So? Did you half-ass it or not? You've been staring for a while so you should know," Ahti suddenly said from rather close, glaring down at Prushka with pieces of meat hanging from teeth. "Crazy or not, you're the one who treated it, after all."

Then, after a momentary, annoyed expression flashed to his face, Ahti turned towards the window and sniffed loudly.

Almost like tasting the air.

"... And while this meal's keeping me pacified, I'm not exactly a fan of unwanted surprises. You smell like people. Fresh people."

He narrowed his eye as he turned to glare back at Prushka again.

"--- Do you have someone spying on me out there?"

Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “Morning. Dove mentioned that you were looking for me? I’d ask for your name…. But I have a sneaking suspicion you’re the villainous older-brother kind of guy who tragically ends up hiding the hero’s video game console in the garage or something.”
    The red-haired young man clicked his tongue and rose up from his leaning position. He walked over to Anna, glaring down at her. Up close, he turned out to be somewhat tall, dressed in clothing that were quite 'grunge' as it were. The boy had blazing eyes, sharp features and all-in-all looked like someone who would have been far more at home in a big city than in rural setting as Road's End. Still, there was clear confidence in his steps. While others might have been somewhat careful thanks to Anna's usual standoffish attitude, this didn't deter the red-haired guy.

In fact, he seemed to take it as some sort of challenge.

"Sounds like you've heard of me then. Makes things easy," the boy said. "After all, it's better when both know what's up and what's going on. Otherwise it just makes way for misunderstandings."

For a moment, the boy eyed-up Anna, giving her a once-over like a boxer trying to see what their opponent was made of. It was clear he had came here either looking for a fight, or expecting to get into an argument with the girl. Either one would have explained why he was being so 'on the offensive' so to speak. The idea seemed even more likely as he folded his arms across his chest, a typical pose for those who expected to get into a verbal battle.

"Anyways, I hear you've been hanging with my bro. Got any reason for it? Or are you just the type to cheer up those who'd have their family members be total jerks?" He pressed on. "At least Shane gave you glowing reviews when he came home."

Ah, yes.

"Also got told you treated him to some food out of your own pocket. What's up with that?" the young man continued. "I don't like that people have to spend their money on us and then even don't bother getting reimbursed."

With a fast move, the boy stuffed his hand into his pocket and pulled out two ten dollar bills that he shoved towards Anna.

"You treated my bro so here. I ain't leaving until you take them. You deserve it."

... Indeed.

As usual, Zane Mitchell used his standoffish nature to hide it whenever he was embarrassed.

Hisa Momoi

”Do you think we can trust him? He seems like just an ordinary, honest guy, but at the same time...he seems to be in the middle of all of this somehow, and could very well be hiding some information. Remember Angelica’s warning? She said that the janitor of the school should be questioned...But about what? It must be somehow related to the incident, so it’s definitely not just something ordinary...But what if it’s not even Jake, but Billie then...the old janitor who now tends the bar, that is.”
    Pyry frowned as he looked at Jake, who was still grinning from ear to ear and exchanging playful banter with Gradient. Well, Jake was... Gradient was just making happy-sounding noises and faces from behind Hisa, as if she was teasing the older boy. Just one look at them made it clear that they had a connection neither one had forgotten - to the point that he must have been as good a friend to Gradient as Hisa and Colt were now.

[Honestly... I think he's just your typical dork. I mean, does he really look like the type of guy who'd hide some big dark secret?] Pyry's mental voice resonated back to Hisa. [Even if he's hiding some information, I'm willing to bet he's not doing it out of malice... or even knows he's hiding any information at all. It might just be that he knows something, something that even he himself doesn't know is important.]

Then, after a moment of thinking, the blonde boy gave almost invisible little nod.

[But I think it's not a bad idea to talk to the old janitor as well. I dunno, it's just the adults in this town...] He searched for right words for a moment. [... Are all very suspicious, don'cha think?]

“Did she not have any relatives though? Didn’t you find it weird that she was just there, that she couldn’t really talk, and then just disappeared? A ten years old girl, at that? A caretaker? A place where she lived? Was she there as well when that incident happened?”
    Jake let out a little chuckle.

"Dudette, you gotta realize... this was the 80's. In the boonies. Nobody really batted an eye if a weird kid from somewhere just decided to tag along, as long as they were fun to hang out with. We met wherever every morning, separated in town at the evening, went to school, goofed off, didn't really pay attention to anything and before we knew it, that was the norm," the janitor explained, sounding slightly amused. "We all had our issues, so if somebody didn't wanna share, we didn't pry. Of course, some of us did get curious - Remmie in the forefront. I think she once or twice followed Lil' Eli home, trying to see where she lived... I think she even talked about some church or something but... eh, sorry. She never told us."

The last few words were accompanied by an apologetic shrug and an expression that told Jake clearly wanted to be of more help, even if he couldn't. Taking yet another swig of his cola, the janitor mused on his thoughts for a while, before remembering Hisa also had asked another question.

"Oh, right... Nah. Eli had already disappeared by the time that happened. I think... I think that was part of why he headed out in the woods, but... eh, I'd rather not talk about it, alright? Maybe some other time," Jake said, grimacing a bit at the memories. "So no, I don't think that's--- Oh!"

Suddenly, the janitor snapped his fingers.

Loudly.

"Hey, now I remember! Remmie wrote this book while she was in high school - about Road's End and all the stuff she found in here, including places!" Jake said, sounding a bit like an excited kid himself. "I'm betting top dollar that if she did find some church or whatever where Eli lived, she wrote it in that book!"

Hisa Momoi

”That’s what I’d like to believe as well, and hence why I’m reluctant to go poke around in his mind.”

As I absentmindedly observed the exchange between Jake and Gradient, I had more than enough time to just focus on my thoughts and on the mental conversation with Pyry.

”I mean, looking at him I can’t imagine him being evil,” I smirked as the conversation continued, ”Though...yeah, certainly can’t say the same about the adults. I mean...People who have been here when all these events happened and were already adults back then certainly must know a lot more...But I don’t think they are very keen on sharing these secrets with outsiders.”

I just had to remember Carrie’s warning. Or that other thing…

”You know, back when Angelica disappeared...she gave me a letter. Something that a person staying here wrote, and talked about how they ended up asking the wrong questions from the locals. How they ended up being stalked for it no matter where they went. Originally, when I arrived, I wanted to go looking for them, but…”* a momentary pause as I resisted the urge to scratch the back of my head, *”Well, I immediately got wrapped up in so many things, and it must have been years since the letter was written. All I know is that they were at the hotel at some point, but they might as well be dead by now, and I don’t even know what they look like in the first place.”

As Jake started talking once more, my attention shifted back to him.

Really, it would have been nice to just sit down and ponder about these questions in peace, without having to worry about being killed in a few days.

Somehow...it just sets a hurried pace to how I do things, almost on a subconscious level.

“Okay, okay, it makes sense,” I waved lazily, “Still, a church, huh? I didn’t even know that the town had a church.”

Not that I was really looking around too much, I suppose.

Still, I don’t even recall it being noted on the map…

“And a book...your childhood friend wrote a book and you never even read it?” I said as I gave Jake a somewhat pitiful look, “I guess it might bring back painful memories, but...man…”

Maybe there was some justification. But at the same time...wasn’t he even just slightly curious? Something that a friend of him wrote, about the town where he lives, and possibly it’s mysteries…

“Well, at least tell me that it’s not a book that’s forever lost or destroyed?” I asked hopefully, “Also, I guess Eliyah is a name you came up with then?”

Last edited by Cheetose; August 2nd, 2020 at 03:57 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

And there it was.

The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same.

Zane Mitchell was still the same dope he always was, trying to cover up his embarrassment with this half-assed punk act filled with fake aggression. It was no more believable than last time, really. Even less so, considering what she knew of the two brothers and their life now.

It was kind of hard to take this look he was trying to pull seriously in the light of him being a dutiful older brother pulling half a dozen part-time jobs in order to keep himself and Shane afloat.

Its just…. Aah, nevermind.

“You’re gonna stick around until I take those bills of yours?” Anna raised an inquisitive eyebrow, even as an amused glint flickered in her eyes. “And if I don’t what then? You’re gonna sit outside my door for a day or two?”

A brief chuckle filled the space between the two of them, as Anna stepped forward to take the extended bills from the young man’s hand.

“Well, I get the feeling you might be conscientious enough to actually go through with something like that, so I’ll take them. Just to save my own sanity if nothing else.”

Pausing briefly to tuck the two bills into the pocket of her tracksuit and to check the time on her black electronic wristwatch, Anna turned her head back towards Zane, her hand extended in casual greeting.

“Well, you’ve seemed to have already gotten my name from Shane, but he never did end up mentioning yours.” A playful grin was evident on Anna’s face. “So how shall I call you, Mr. Villanous Brother?”

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

[Someone... huh? I mean, it might be an old letter, but at the same time, I dunno... there's lot going on at the hotel, so might not be a bad idea to go visit there at some point,] Pyry replied mentally, though stroking his chin in deep thought. [I mean, you know how Ange is - if she left something for you, that wasn't without a reason. One reason might be a warning about those wrong questions, but if it specifically mentioned the hotel...]

For a moment, the boy's eyes narrowed.

As if he was staring at someone through his deep mindscapes of memories.

And didn't know what to feel about that person anymore.

[... There might be something worth checking there.]

Meanwhile, Jake responded to Hisa's questions with a sad little shrug.

"Sorry dudette, I know how it sounds but... I was never the reading type, and that's a guidebook to local sight-seeing places and whatever. I didn't think I'd need to hurry with reading it, considering I know all these places..." He said, but then another shadow passed by his face. "... And then it was too late. It's hard to even look at that thing anymore, so I gave my copy away for safekeeping. Maybe one day but... not today. And not tomorrow."

Pyry nodded, a somewhat apologetic expression on his face.

"Sorry. Talking about this can't be easy," he said to the janitor. "That sorta stuff is like digging at an old wound, yeah?"

A dry smile spread to Jake's face.

"Eh, it's alright. I'll help how I can," he replied, trying to shake the sorrow from his voice. "Anyways, about the book, it's not something that's lost or destroyed. I think you can find a whole bunch of them at the Store & Post. I know that Popplewell lady took multiple boxes when they came out, and that they didn't sell that well at all for... well, obvious reasons. Not much of tourism here."

He finished his second can of cola with one last swig and hid a burp that was about to come out.

"As for the church, well... I dunno? We've got cemetery, so it'd make sense we'd got church. And most of the golden oldies here are God-fearing people. Comes with the country and all that," Jake continued. "If it's somewhere, it must be either small or pretty well hidden - or in ruins. The one thing I do know is that there's no church in the town proper, at least."

Well... there was a mystery and a half.

A forgotten, hidden church somewhere at Road's End?

"As for Eli's name? I think that's actually something Remmie came up with. At first we just called her 'Kid'," Jake added. "... Thinking back, she really was almost glued to Remmie's side."

Almost as if understanding what was being said... Gradient nodded.

Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “Well, you’ve seemed to have already gotten my name from Shane, but he never did end up mentioning yours. So how shall I call you, Mr. Villanous Brother?”
    The young man grimaced and clicked his tongue, clearly annoyed about the new nickname that had been born at that very moment.

"Ugh, yeah, my bad. Should have started with a name," the young man answered. "If I did, you'd have less chances to use that terrible nickname."

Though his attitude was rude and aggressive in strange ways, the way he shook Anna's hand was firm and to the point. He even kept a honest, polite eye-contact during it, something that not many these days did. Whoever had raised him had done a pretty good job, even if the boy himself was a bundle of mixed signals and odd behavior.

"I'm Zane. Zane Mitchell," he introduced himself, before rolling his eyes. "And yeah, our parents thought it hilarious our names are basically the same. So don't tease Shane about it. It's a bit of a sore spot for bro."

With the introductions being over, Zane let go of Anna's hand and took a step back, once again glaring at her... well, not her specifically. It was more like he was glaring at the 'whole' of her and what she looked like. As he did so, he chewed on the inside of his cheek, perhaps thinking about it. Only five seconds later he put those thoughts to words.

"Yeah, I can kinda see why my bro called you 'totally awesome' and 'cool'. You do kinda look like his favorite superhero, Psylocke," Zane commented out of nowhere. "Eh, I suppose you're cool in my books too. Though in different sense. 'Be cautious around girls wearing Adidas' as my pops used to say."

For a moment, Zane stayed silent.

"... I have no idea what the hell he meant, either," he admitted with a curt shrug.