Page 171 of 244 FirstFirst ... 71121161166169170171172173176181221 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Elise Pelltier
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)
    Weather: Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Souma Nubata
    "........... Go ahead."
    Elise glanced over to Souma as he crossed his arms, leaned against one of the walls, and settled into the shadows of the old dorm room.

Huh, LBJ really has been keeping an eye on Souma since we left the Reference Library and set out on this little quest, hasn't it? Wonder if its got any insights on the enigma in a tracksuit we call Souma, thought Elise as she turned back to the wardrobe and considered how eerily silent Souma could move, I guess I can't really complain that I've got something watching my back while we're around Souma though...

With a bit of work, Elise was able to pry the door off the wardrobe. She tossed it aside, and it hit the floor with an oddly satisfying thud. She smiled as she glanced down at the wardrobe door, lying on the floor. Its ominous message hidden on the underside.

Ha! Pyry did a good job jamming that thing back in place, but that didn't stop me getting in there, thought Elise feeling immensely pleased with herself at having undone Pyry's handiwork, Hm. I guess I do still have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about the whole Mad Colossus thing. I really thought I managed to let go of that back at the beach party...

With the last obstacle between her and her objective defeated, Elise turned her attention back to the now opened wardrobe. Her feeling of pride evaporated away instantly the moment she spotted the forgotten soul huddled at the back of the otherwise empty wardrobe. She knelt at the edge of the wardrobe, closed her eyes and issued a silent prayer for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa Momoi
    "I could sense their last moments, how they trembled in fear, crouching there in the complete darkness. It was...quite sad.”
    Hisa's description of the lost student in the wardrobe's final moments came back to the forefront of her mind.

They chose to hide here and starve to death rather than die at the hands of the monster rampaging through the dormitory... recalled Elise as she felt the despair in that place begin to weigh down on her, I'm sorry I couldn't be here to help sooner. I'm sorry no one was able to help you sooner.

"... Aren't you a beauty?"
    Souma's words snapped Elise back to the present. Souma was now squatting beside her. His smile was gleaming even in the dim light of the old dormitory as he stared at the mummified corpse at the back of the wardrobe.

Great. He's a creeper, thought Elise, Then again, I suppose I'm not much better, am I?

"Remember, we're here to move them out of here, and give them a proper burial. Not to gawk," admonished Elise, partly to Souma, partly to herself.

Elise unslung her duffel bag from her shoulder and placed it between herself and Souma. She unzipped it, and took a moment to carefully arrange the linens she'd liberated from the laundry room to serve as a makeshift burial shroud. She then looked back up at the body and took a moment to inspect it.

They're actually in better shape than I thought they would be, given the impression Hisa gave me. They've probably been exposed to the open air for at least a decade or two, which lines up with what Hisa said, and they've pretty much been mummified as a result. Still, if we're not very gentle they'll probably collapse into a pile of bones, but at least they're not in any danger of crumbling into dust.

"They've probably been here for at least a decade or two to get effectively mummified like that. They were hiding in here, but if they were, why write on the outside of the wardrobe? Wouldn't that just point someone to where they were hiding?" wondered Elise out loud.

Unless they were hoping someone would find them? There must have been more going on here. If they were hiding from the monster, why take the time to write something on the outside of their hiding spot? Were they working on the assumption that the monster was illiterate? I can't help but wonder if they weren't in a situation like ours, and just... gave up. This whole place certainly feels like its been seeped in despair.

"They're in better shape than I was expecting, but we're still going to have to be delicate and careful while we're moving them. Think we can do that and get them in here?" asked Elise as she gave her opened duffel bag a pat.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

I watched the melee in front of me dispassionately and processed only the relevant pertinent information to the melee fight in front of me. At first, Lobo the King of Currumpaw had the advantage in sheer speed and strength. However, sheer physical might wasn’t everything in a standard melee fight let alone a Turnside one. The crimson one was fending him off with pure skill and precision. The fight probably would’ve been one at a standstill however the crimson wasn’t capable of continuing this kind of combat for long.

Crimson was experiencing some form of negative feedback. Bloodshot eyes. Visible and highly bulging veins on his face. If combat continued as is, I would be unneeded here. I considered moving back towards Aleen and Caleb Montjoy, however I should see the ending of this just to be sure. Despite the outcome seemingly being in Lobo the King of Currumpaw’s favor, the crimson one ignored his steadily failing condition to push himself even further and in a moment surpass Lobo the King of Currumpaw in sheer physical capabilities.

That’s when I noticed something that confirmed my earlier suspicions. Crimson had a Der Nagel. To my knowledge, Lucille and Sakura Tsukioka were the only ones here from the Christian church. Could they be withholding information from me? Could Crimson be a rogue agent? I’ll have to figure it out later because I need to act and save someone I know could be useful. After processing this information, I proceeded to fire a burst of my UMP45 at Crimson to save Lobo the King of Currumpaw.

Immediately after firing, rapidly relocating, and setting up. Crimson wasn’t nearby Lobo the King of Currumpaw. No, Crimson decided to rapidly withdraw from the area. He probably deemed that the risk wasn’t at an acceptable enough level to complete his mission. While I considered tracking him down immediately, I doubted I could catch up to him at the current speed he was going even if it seemed highly temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo the King of Currumpaw
    "WHO'S THERE!?"
    Lobo the King of Currumpaw was angry and likely to attack me if I attempted to track Crimson. So I decided to cut my losses. After a quick check of my surroundings to better increase my survivability against Lobo, that was anything that might defend me from his spear or allow me to rapidly disappear from his line of sight. I stood up and kept my outfit’s hood up to ensure maximum protection in this scenario.

“I would’ve liked some thanks. Now are we going to hunt down Crimson or are we going to just stand here and waste time.”

I'll keep track of that used Der Nagel's location in case Lobo the King of Currumpaw tosses it or we leave it so we can track down Crimson.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Minato clicked his tongue.

"Zhou is... the type that doesn't trust easily," the boy murmured eventually. "She learned the dangers of that the hard way. And she likes to plan. A lot. So if she's not telling us about the school having started yet... I'd guess she wants to get a good idea of what the place is like before we come there. Make it safe for us. Or rather... make it safe for Yeong-Hui. As a prophet, people are after her. And Zhou is fiercely protective. Any person from... our side of the world would be deemed as a threat."

In a sense, that answer was probably a missing piece of a puzzle. Shadowy familiars, nether-money puppets prowling the dark of the school, only reacting to those who clearly exhibited signs of the Turnside. All for the sake of ensuring it was safe to move to the location, or rather, it was safe to bring her sister there. Violently overprotective yes, but if Zhou was, as said, someone who had no trouble getting admitted to the Oceandrop Program... well, it did fit.

Not to mention, Minato had a point there. Prophets, whether they be mages, mystics or espers, were extremely sought after. Knowledge of the future, while often infuriatingly vague, was priceless as an information. It really codified the old saying that words can kill. And anyone who was planning something, scheming something, would have known that gaining an access to a prophet would have been a reason worth enough to kill.

There was an unfortunate saying among students of The Viewing Pool had:

"We hid in the crypts the moment man first realized that a prophet does not need a body - just their mind and their mouth."

They were secretive for a reason.

"Still..."

Minato's words drew Anna back from her thoughts.

"... Why would you help us? If you want her to stop scouting, just confronting her about it is enough. Once caught, Zhou's not the type that can put up resistance. And if she's done as you said, I agree she should stop. I don't want unnecessary trouble... or for people to get hurt. You have no reason to go as far as to help us look for our father," Minato asked, eyeing Anna suspicously. "So, what's the catch?"

Ramia chuckled almost mischievously, and glanced towards Anna with a knowing smile. It looked like there was something the dusky-skinned mercenary very much wanted to say, but decided not to - as if blurting it out would have soured the raven-haired girl's mood considerably.

"Well, I guess Anna is just like that," Ramia eventually answered. "Plus, I gotta say... the tale's gotten me curious."

For a moment more, the boy watched them, trying to study their expressions... before simply sighing heavily. It was clear from his face that he was probably going through some heavy internal monologue about the situation, but never expressed but bare minimum of it aloud.

"... Whatever," he snorted. "Fine. From what we've been able to gleam out, our father is a man in his 40's, 50's or 60's. He's traveled around the world, and has a... thing for Asian women. He's not a member of our side of the world - at least not directly. He might know it, but has no skills in that regard. And... from what we understand, he's supposed to be rather handsome."

Minato shrugged, as if even he didn't know how to take that last part.

Lucille Faraday

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “What’s the point of living out this farce when everything is out to kill us… perhaps Alexstrasza is right.”
    "That's quite enough of that, young lady."

Voice like steel stepped over the wistful echo of Lucille's solemn wondering. Sakura had folded her arms and was now staring her charge straight in the eyes, looking all of a sudden taller than the blonde girl by her mere presence. There was a mixture of both determination and strictness on that face, like a sports coach or a teacher that had gotten enough of their pupil's whining. Though in this case it wasn't whining, but rather, Sakura having listened to enough moping around.

If there was one thing the maid had never accepted, it was unnecessary moping.

... Not to mention, she only ever used "young lady" when she was admonishing Lucille - a scary thing in itself.

"What's the point? You know very well what's the point. It's why we live this life, even though we could slip back into the world without terrors of the dark. The point is that we protect those who cannot protect themselves! We help the weak, we defend the weary and we carry the wounded in our arms! Because we have this power, we're given the opportunity to help those who cannot help themselves. No matter how it manifests, we're in an unique position because we can do more than most ever can!" Sakura spoke out, strong and clear. "And now you, milady, more than even myself, are in possession of power that others lack. If you are right and you've already lived this week once, you've been given a chance to defend and guide us who would otherwise repeat such a miserable, tragic week. You, more than anyone else, can help those of us who would be blind otherwise."

Then, just a little bit, Sakura's expression softened. Her voice dropped a notch in volume as well.

"... I know it's hard. This is not an easy life we live. The darkness can feel like it presses in on all sides, and we don't always know what to do - heck, more often than not we don't. But that's not an excuse not to try," she continued. "And when we feel our loneliest, when we are at our lowest point and feel like we are facing nothing but defeat... that's when it's important to reach out to others. You're not alone, milady. You never were. There are so many people here who would help you out. No one person is capable of doing all by themselves, and there are things only some of us can do. Hence why we need to reach out to those who are willing to use their strength in turn to help us."

And once more, the steel was there.

Drilling into Lucille's depths and her immortal soul.

"--- It's hard for you, I know. For you, milady, it's harder than the most. You fear that if you involve others, you will simply cause a repeat of that tragic day. That you will get someone else hurt. Well... tough! You can't just wrap the whole world in a bubble-wrap or put everyone in glass bottles to protect them! The people around you, milady... they're their own people. They know the risks of what they do, and they know they can get hurt. And if they do get hurt, that's on them - not you. You just have to support them the best you can, and let them do the same in return," Sakura said, fierce flames in her eyes. "Because I can swear, just as much as you don't want to get anyone hurt, there are also people who want to protect you. There are people who want to reach out to you and ask for help, because you have strength they do not. And if they can do it, if Elise can do it - so can you!"

Sakura exhaled loudly through her nose, like a bull ready to fight in an arena.

Something made it seem like she had wanted to say this for a long time...

"And if in this case you don't what to do... look to those strengths I just said! Think about it. If you truly are reliving this week, you must have already met people - people you know who can be of assistance, who might have knowledge you yourself lack, who possess skills which might be of us. You already know them, so you're not as unprepared or floundering as during that first week," she said, loud and clear. "Use that strength that's unique to you. Look for those people, extend your hands towards them, and in the process you might not just be able to help Elise, but them too! Not to mention yourself! Other people are strength, milady, and while I know our organization sometimes looks down on the other parts of this turned world, they are simply people like we are. Among them, there are just as many of those who don't want to see others hurt. And you, with your gained knowledge, know more of those people than those of us who are blind!"

Sakura nodded.

Like she had finished.

"So use that knowledge - use that strength that you have. Stop shuffling your feet and making that moping face of a princess who's trapped in a tower, when you have more than enough strength to bust through the door and take on the whole castle with your friends. Because if you don't..."

Sakura's eyes narrowed.

----- Dangerously.

"... I'm not above giving you a good spanking like you were still a misbehaving five-year-old, milady."

Prushka & John Dove
    Phase: Evening Phase (THU)
    Date: 08.09.1994

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "...by the way, what's this 'momo' you mentioned...?"
    "O-oh!"

Realizing that she had yet to bring out the item she had mumbled about, Alpa dove into her backpack and fished out a small wooden box that she then set on the table. After opening the box, it turned out to have been lined with wax paper, while the contents were... steamed dumplings of some sort? And judging by the smell, they were sweet - very sweet. However, the strangest thing was, the dumplings were still wafting with steam, as if they had been just made...

--- And was that the same hexagram carved to the bottom of the lid?

"T-they're food from my homeland... that is, um, Nepal. O-or rather, the border between Nebal and Tibet, but um... that's a bit... complicated," Alpa explained, making a difficult, scrunched-up face. "A-anyways! I-I used jaggary and clarified butter in the filling, so they should taste rather sweet. It's... it's a bit of a twist on the usual, meat-filled ones. U-um, I hope you like them..."

She gingerly pushed the box towards John, Ubon and Prushka, while she herself sat down on one of the benches and started inspecting the bandanna that Prushka had given her, looking both intrigued and intensely curious.

"This is... wow... I... Oh my gosh..." the fluffy girl beamed a shy smile at Prushka. "T-t-thank you!"

Looks like the gift was well-received, even if she didn't put it on.

"A-as for your questions, well... oh, gosh..." Alpa stammered for a moment, sneaking shy glances at John. "Um, I arrived on last Sunday. N-night to be specific. I hid here and started building my base. T-then, on Monday, when I saw your bus approaching, I-I... I used one of those old owl suits to go spy on y-you, but... but I was caught up in some sort of marching band. I-it was, oh my gosh, it was horrible! I had to play a bassoon right in front of you all! I-I then got away, but kept the suit... I've been using it to go outside when I want to l-look around..."

Well... at least that explained the owl suit from last night?

Guess Ubon and Lucille had run into Miss Shut-in here? At least Ubon seemed to think so, as she put two and two together, hitting her palm with her fist as light of realization dawned in her eyes.

"A-as for others, um... I... I honestly don't know. I've laid, um... traps... traps in some places. N-n-nothing that would hurt others, but just to mess with their sense of direction! I-I've put them in windows and classrooms a-and such, but not on the main entrance. S-so, while I know some people have gotten, um... caught in those traps. Three to be exact. I never s-saw them. Gosh... I was too scared to go look at them," Alpa continued her explanation. "But other than that, n-no... I don't think there's anyone else here. Or, maybe in the clock tower... but I can't access that place."

In other words, she had really holed up in here, in this one spare room, in ruins of a library just on the vague hope she could learn to be with people again, even through lessons most likely spied upon with magic. She thought that just by doing the schoolwork that others did, something would change within her, not realizing that associating with others similar to them was part of Mr. Oceandrop's plan. In other words, like a machine, she had done the task... but never understood the meaning behind it.

Even Ubon seemed to realize this, as a sad smile rose to her face and she took a few steps closer to Alpa.

"Oh jimmies... you've been totes alone, huh? I-I'm sorry we didn't find you sooner," the cyanhead, reaching out to pat Alpa's head. "B-but look on the bright side! Now that we're here, you can---"

Suddenly.

There was a sound.

Like surging static electricity.

Or perhaps the static of a TV without channel.

"No!"

And a yelp from Alpa who, looking wild-eyed and breathing heavily, scooted away from Ubon's hand at utmost speed.

Silence fell right afterwards... an awkward silence of Alpa slowly starting to calm down again, yet staring at the three of them like a wounded animal.

And then there was Ubon...

Ubon who, her mistake dawning upon her, had an expression of someone whose slowly-regained happiness was about to shatter thanks to their guilt over the careless mistake they had made.

Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier

Souma, who had simply chuckled at Elise's admonishment, stood back up again. He stared at the mummified remains of a person while the brunette wondered of the situation aloud, thinking of the reasons as to what could have led to this bizarre outcome. Souma, while as enigmatic as ever and showing little to no expression on his face (aside from that ever-present hint of a smile) seemed to mull over the circumstances as well.

Until, eventually, he turned to look at Elise.

"......... Maybe," he said. "They couldn't come out. Maybe there was someone outside... waiting for them... toying with them..."

His eye looked upon the message.

"....... To the point of writing that message."

In other words.

A horrifying waiting game.

Something waiting outside the closet doors, patiently sitting there and daring the person inside to come out. To show themselves so they could finish what they had started. And thus the person inside was left with no other option than to just sit there... sit and wait. They couldn't come out, because if they did, they would die. And if they stayed inside, they would starve. In other words, the person inside would have deemed it a better end to waste away there than to confront whoever or whatever was outside. And to add insult to injury, the one waiting outside painted that on the door, knowing the person inside could hear them do it.

--- What a sickening idea.

"...... Still, if you want to bag him, I'm... willing to help," Souma said, stretching his fingers. "I have a... gentle... touch. I should be of use here..."

He gestured towards the mummified corpse, apparently expecting Elaine to take a lead in how to get it out and where to transport it.

Vier Wolff

The wind, still billowing, grew calmer yet sharper. Instead of raging around indiscriminately to announce the irritation of it's owner, it sharpened to a point.

A point that was now aimed at Vier Wolff.

"-------"

The hostility that wafted from the man in green was almost palpable - animalistic anger at having had their prey taken away from them. As Vier stood up, she could see Lobo now properly. The man had risen to one of the boulders around the clearing, and had been using it to scan his surroundings for her. But now that she was up, clearly visible, his hostility had a target. With nary a grunt of pain, Lobo grabbed a hold of the Der Nagel in his shoulder and pulled it out, tossing the spent and useless weapon to the ground. The spear in his left hand quivered, slowly turning towards the girl while still held lazily against his body - not ready to strike, but ready to adopt a fighting stance at any moment.

Lobo - the King of Currumpaw, was not pleased.

His usual laid-back, if dangerous, was gone.

Instead, he looked superbly annoyed.

"Thanks? For interfering? Hah... quite the mouth you've got there, lass. Almost as abrasive as your entrance," the man said, his bestial glare targeting her. "Tracking that man is useless. Once his Ecclesiastical Accent fades, he'll hide... and he's pretty darn good at that. In other words, he's long gone now."

Those beast-like eyes narrowed as Lobo took in the form of Vier, studying her carefully.

"You though... not much of a look of a holy warrior in you. And your weapon doesn't exactly scream of a mage or a mystic either," he said, before snorting in amusement. "So an android or an esper, huh? No matter..."

While his left hand still held those spears, Lobo's right hand seemed to grab a hold of something from the empty air. Cards? No, were those... Tarot cards? Definitely something to that effect. Was his form of magic cartomancy? If so, then he was prepared to unleash a spell or two if given reason, meaning that he wasn't going to start with his spear... which was odd. For someone of his speed, crossing the distance between himself and Vier should have been trivial. Not to mention the fact that the spear was definitely an Arc-Relic.

So did he not expect that Arc-Relic to work against a machine or an esper...?

"I've no idea why you're here or who you are, but at the same time, I don't care. You came between me and my prey," Lobo continued, gripping his spear harder. "... Why shouldn't I make you my next one?"

In other words, he was asking...

--- Why shouldn't he unleash his frustration upon the one who caused it in the first place?

Adelaide Cheshire

"......... Проходно, I'd say."

The boy spoke with a deep voice.

Far deeper than a boy of his age should have had.

It wasn't quite the adult man's voice, but there was something strange in it all the same.

Not to mention... he completely ignored "Adelaide's" greetings and words, not to mention questions.

Instead, the boy rubbed his chin with his hand, as if a buyer judging a car they were about to purchase. Indeed, there was something terrifyingly cold in those eyes, gazing at her like she had been nothing but an object. Humming to himself, the strange boy walked closer, stopping about few meters from the girl. Then, still inspecting her, those scanning eyes taking in every nook and cranny without any shame whatsoever, he started circling her, getting a look at from all sides. This sort of inspection felt wrong... at least when done for another human being. There was just something wrong, something dehumanizing in the way the boy looked at others - or "Adelaide" at the very least.

And as he circled the girl, the young boy kept talking to himself.

"The body leaves a bit something to be desired, but at the same time, it seems to have developed at expected rate of a normal adolescent. Accelerated growth compared to national average in some parts, while others are lacking - well within margin, however. Nothing out of the ordinary. You appear as a normal girl, as your intent probably was," the boy said, finally addressing 'Adelaide'. "I can see how you would fool those that would not be expecting such skills or be prepared for them. Commendable, I'd say. If not a bit trite. The usefulness is still questionable, but at the very least you have made yourself presentable to look at."

Then, having completed a full circle, the boy set his foot down and stopped right in front of "Adelaide". He raised his right hand and snapped his fingers twice at an eye-level of the girl, trying to elicit some sort of reaction. Then, having apparently gotten what he was after, he put both hands back in his pocket and hummed thoughtfully... still keeping that slightly robotic, slightly emotionless, and all around chilly tone.

"I presume you are fooling others by fooling yourself first. Makes for an interesting variation in your actions, reshuffles the deck so to speak. But it's not terribly exciting," he commented, sounding a little bored. "The base template is still, at the end of the day, empty. It is impossible to ignore that fact, so here you are. While quaint perhaps to some, after seeing it once it becomes rather dull. Shame. I would have expected a bit more from the daughter of lauded Doctor Bianchi."

He stiffled a slight yawn, and afterwards, his brow furrowed.

"Tell me... are you satisfied with what you are right now? Does it make you feel better about yourself? Living vigorously through a lie?"

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel
    "Well, I guess Anna is just like that. Plus, I gotta say... the tale's gotten me curious."
    The raven-haired witch merely rolled her eyes in exasperation at the mercenary's words. Even if Ramia didn’t say it out loud, the way she phrased things made the unsaid subtext perfectly clear.

“Yea, yea, laugh it up, Indiana. I’m a real go-getter goodie-two-shoes, here. For god's sake, someone stop me before I start yammering endlessly about the “power of friendship” or some other nonsense like that.”

A brief snort echoed from the Estonian girl before she turned her focus back to the boy in front of her.

“There is no catch. Not really.” A brief look of thoughtfulness passed over Anna’s face for a moment. “Well, maybe that’s not completely true.”

“You see, we…” The crimson-eyed girl gestured both to Ramia and herself. “…are hardly the only people involved with the Turnside on campus. There are others. Many, actually, if my gut feeling on the matter is correct.”

“This scouting may be a threat to others, for sure… but it might also be a threat to you. And, quite frankly, I don’t want to be stuck on cleanup duty because of some half-arsed spell-slinging fight that started because of a bloody misunderstanding, of all things.”

“Dying or killing because you’ve made random misunderstanding is kinda pathetic, wouldn’t you say?”

A wave of dark humor washed over her as Anna’s mind was cast back at last week’s events at the hospital. Wasn’t this exactly what they had done last week? Though, granted, the misunderstanding wasn’t hers at least.

A humorless chuckle escaped Anna’s lips for a moment, as she leaned back a bit in her chair.

“But hey, if working off goodwill is too rough for you, you can always return the favor to us, you know?” The girl’s smirk was positively devilish. “Well, I won’t push you into doing anything but… I also have a reason for being stuck in this place, you know?”

Anna’s eyes flickered momentarily over to Ramia, though this time it was her face that held that oh-so-slightly teasing smile.

“And while I can’t say for sure, I’d be willing to bet a pretty dollar that our intrepid treasure hunter here also has her reasons for gracing us with her presence at Pinefall.”

"Even if it is to take something to a back to a museum where it belongs."

“Fine. From what we've been able to gleam out, our father is a man in his 40's, 50's or 60's. He's traveled around the world, and has a... thing for Asian women. He's not a member of our side of the world - at least not directly. He might know it, but has no skills in that regard. And... from what we understand, he's supposed to be rather handsome."
    The look that Anna gave to Minato as her eyes whirled away from the white-haired mystic was utterly deadpan.

“So… A good-looking man between his forties and sixties? Who likes Asian women and has traveled around a bit?” A glimmer of mirth entered her voice. “Anything else? Brown or black hair? Maybe between 1.50 and 2 meters in height? Has a deep non-descript voice? Wears boots?"

A brief chuckle echoed outwards.

“Well, I say that, but I can think of a couple of folks could hypothetically fit that bill. He’s Caucasian, right? I imagine anyone who has traveled around the world, especially from these parts, is someone with a lot of cash.”

“Difficult to work on your 9-to-5 desk job when your all out and about globetrotting. Especially if they’re not anyone involved with our particular… field, let’s say.”

“That would basically leave someone like our illustrious Principal Oceandrop or the guy who runs the country club out on the outskirts, Pinkerton. Though maybe he’s a bit too young? Not sure.”

“Hmm… I suppose it could also be someone from the old lumber mill magnates. McLampets, though I think most of them are supposed to be either dead or missing.” Anna’s red jacket shifted a bit as she gave a brief shrug of her shoulders. “Well, “missing” is not dead though. Never know when one of those guys may show up out of the blue.”

“Do you have any way of figuring out who he is once you meet him?”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Colt clicked his tongue at the bad news.

“I reckon that’d be me, yeah.” He heaved a sigh. Missing twice in one day might have upset him more had he not shed some new light on other, equally important questions thanks to Frauke. “Well, she’s always been a bit like that, so I’m not even surprised.”

He shrugged.

“I guess I’m a little surprised. Surprised she even waited at all, heh.” He cracked a joke and put on a smile. “Well, thanks for passing it along. I’ll catch up with her eventually.”

This time or the next, one way or another.

Maybe just not this time.

“Well, the tea mighta just been a convenient excuse,” he turned to Tris, then to the various other things in the store. “But that doesn’t mean we can’t indulge. Since we’re already here’n all.”

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Lucille lets it all happen, looking somewhat stunned. Is it the content of those words? A sudden realization? Her face is too passive to tell. But when Sakura finally finishes what she has to say—

“That isn’t what I—Never mind. I understand,” Lucille says, sounding worn out. She can’t tell if the sense of fatigue is from the lectures or the evaluation of the situation. “I’m not giving up, it’s just, it’s difficult.”

Lucille’s expression tenses, a flicker of determination lighting up behind those eyes.

“Of the people I know… Mercedes, John, and Colt are mundane, so involving them in this demon fiasco seems unwise. Vier, Prushka, and Hisa are psychics who excel in manipulating matters of the mind—but last time has taught me that though it’s possible to incapacitate Elise that way, the demon may as well have free reign. Hwan Bin is likely to be a telekinetic who can be hired for the right price, but that same factor makes him unreliable.”

“Then it’s us, the members of the Church. Elise asked me to assist, which hopefully means she has a plan… but if she doesn’t, she’s expecting me to do something about it, which I… can’t, really. Maybe I could suppress the demon for a moment, but would that even be enough?”

“Not to mention there are other problems which may need use of that…” Lucille trails off, worry clearly written on her face. “I guess we can, for lack of better words, ‘just wing it,’ but that sounds horrendous…”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

So this... this is momo.

It smells delicious. It looks like a priceless treasure. It's warm and steamy, heated by a convenient spell. A box full of dumplings that surely contain within them all of heaven.

It's... it's...

"Is it really alright to eat this!?"

There's no way, right? There has to be some kind of hidden catch. Something this delectable couldn't possible come with no strings attached. Maybe the price is my soul? That seems about right. I'd definitely trade my soul for a slice of Avery's pie, and if this momo is even half as good it'd still be a steal.

"I'm, I'm gonna take one. If you wanna change your mind, now's the time. 'Cus I'll - I'll do it, for real. I'm gonna try it right now-."

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon
    "Oh jimmies... you've been totes alone, huh? I-I'm sorry we didn't find you sooner. B-but look on the bright side! Now that we're here, you can---"
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpa
    "No!"
    Oh.

There it is.

The other shoe finally dropped.

Things really were going too well. Four people with twisted perspectives who cannot properly connect with others, in a room together trying to be friends. Obviously it couldn't go smoothly. Obviously something would happen to make that a rocky path. And it did happen. Something certainly, definitely happened just now.

An accident. A simple thing. Someone who likes to show her affection by patting and hugging met someone who doesn't like to be touched. It was only an instant. She only slipped up slightly, a normal amount. No one can be perfectly careful all the time, so it's natural that something like this would happen. Either she didn't notice the small cues, or it slipped her mind in the moment, or she moved without thinking it through. All acceptable. All excusable.

Yes, no one is to blame. Even so...

Even without meaning to, it's so easy for people to hurt each other.

I reach out and take Ubon's other hand, winding my fingers through hers and squeezing just a little.

"...this makes three, huh? Only one left now who hasn't goofed up is John... and you'd better not be taking that as a challenge, mister." As I shatter the silence and begin dragging things back to normal, I meet the boy's eyes.

Let's make up for last night, John. You don't want to see her crying again either, right?

I look at Alpa... She seems like she's recovering, but even within that fluffy coat, she's shivering. This must've been a symptom of her 'condition' revealing itself. Someone who can't touch others, can't feel their warmth... I can't imagine what's that like in the slightest. Perhaps John Dove could. But if we can't warm her up directly, that just means we've gotta heat up the whole room instead until she's nice and comfortable again.

"You gonna be okay, Alpa? Need some space, a drink? Can we do anything to help? You look like you've seen a ghost. Do they have those in Nepal? Well Ubon's totally alive. The only poltergeist in Road's End is that tarp-chucking jerk at the lighthouse." I squeeze Ubon's hand again, sharing my warmth with her as I look up. "Or were you actually a creepy crawly spook the whole time, Ubon? Hey, hey, were you planning on sucking out her ectoplasm? Was that the nefarious master plan? Or, were you...?"

The prompt hangs in the air, waiting for her to catch and deliver it where it needs to go.

I can't apologize for her, and I can't accept that apology for her. That's something Ubon and Alpa have to do. But they don't have to do it by themselves. And it doesn't have to be painful. If they are able to recognize each other as girls that want to be friends, instead of terrifying unknown beings, then it'll be fine, won't it?

You hear that, world? We're here to stop your awfulness in its tracks! There's no way a speed bump like this is gonna break anyone's happiness!

Elise Pelltier

"......... Maybe, they couldn't come out. Maybe there was someone outside... waiting for them... toying with them....... To the point of writing that message."
    Elise blinked. The room suddenly seemed entirely different as her context of the scene shifted.

That... that makes so much more sense, thought Elise as she looked about the room, They weren't hiding in there, well, maybe they were initially but ultimately they were trapped. Worst of all...

Elise glanced at the door she'd torn away from the wardrobe.

... If Hisa's right, and the monster that attacked the dormitory all those years ago was the same one that Lucille and Mercedes encountered in the Pool Building on Sunday... It didn't need to wait them out. It could've gotten them at any time. By all accounts, that monster is immensely strong. That wardrobe's not made of the sturdiest materials. It would've offered no defence against the monster whatsoever. If there was someone in there that I need to get to, well, we've already demonstrated that wouldn't stop me. It certainly wouldn't have stopped the monster, even if the wardrobe was in better shape twenty years ago... The only reason for it to do what Souma suggested would be to drag out their victim's suffering...

Elise considered the words written on the door once more in light of Souma's suggested version of events.

Tu Fui Ego Eris... well, now I know what not to use as your epitaph.

"...... Still, if you want to bag him, I'm... willing to help. I have a... gentle... touch. I should be of use here..."
    "Thanks, Souma."

Elise pulled the blanket out of the duffel bag and laid it out on the bottom of the wardrobe beside the mummified corpse.

"Right, think you can gently move our friend here on to the blanket? Then we'll wrap them up, and once they're secure, we'll move them into the duffel bag. That should protect them and make sure we don't, uh, lose any of them," said Elise.

She glanced down at her duffel bag and frowned, "We should be able to just fit them in there. I don't think I'll be able to zip it shut, but it should be enough for safe transport."

Hopefully no one who sees me carrying them will be curious enough to try and take a peek at what I've got in there.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Location: Pinefall High School – Main Building (Second Floor)

Naturally, the girl longing for human connections is more interested in answering Prushka’s food-related inquiry than his own. Alpa Bāgha brings out a wooden box with some sort of steamed bun, still wafting warm vapor that fills the room with their sweet aroma.

Of course, fire under wood. Magic sure is convenient. He knows more rituals than he can shake a stick at; why did he never try any of them?

…right. Because, to him, that knowledge was just that. Knowledge. Information. Trivia.

He learned it not out of any real intention to use it, or even find worth in it. He learned it because it fell on his lap. It is not as if anything he learned brought him any closer to Her, after all. He did not learn of the occult to find her. Learning occult lore was just something that happened in the process of looking for her, most of the time through no volition of his own.

Yes, he was not the Prophet who went to the mountain. The mountain came to him all on its own.

Anyway, an offer has been made. The proper thing here is to accept it.

“Thank you,” he says curtly before taking one of the momo, apparently a traditional food of “the border between Nepal and Tibet.” Certainly, anything involving the geopolitics of China and the Tibet is complicated, but that might not be precisely what this girl meant. On the other hand, vague as it may be, it remains valuable information to give proper foundation to her magical abilities. Of course, that will only matter if he is ever faced with the challenge of overcoming them.

It is warm, probably “on point.” Magic is indeed convenient.

It is only then that Alpa takes to answering his questions, which end up resolving the matter of the mysterious owl person from last night. It still does not explain the leap from ground level to that window, but if she is using a Tibetan variant of Five Phases mysticism, that kind of feat should be theoretically possible, yes.

By the way, Ubon seems to have figure it out as well. Atta girl.

The other thing Alpa probably explained was the aimless circuit of footprints cycling from one room to another. It appears Liana Skye became a victim of this girl’s confounding ward. Not that he can blame her—he too would probably fall haplessly to it unless he caught a glimpse of its construction.

Of course, the clock tower remains a mystery. With a little bit more ego, he would find that rather vexing.

What to make, then, of Alpa Bāgha? He cannot pity her, but she seems a person that would be pitied by others, from a detached standpoint. Hoping that simply witnessing the lectures and completing the schoolwork will somehow trigger a change in her, unaware that the educational curriculum is merely a backdrop. She is the very opposite of himself: a person with a sincere wish “to be fixed”, but without the ability to do so on her own. However, the two strange girls with him might be just what this girl needs—

Quote Originally Posted by Alpa Bāgha
    “No!”
    —ah.

To his credit, John immediately switches gears to “crisis management mode.” The first step is to evaluate the situation—identify the crisis. Alpa cannot bear physical contact—the sound that preceded her reaction is a matter to examine later. Now she is struggling not to panic. Meanwhile, Ubon is quick to fall into the spiral of guilt. He remembers their conversation from Tuesday morning. She blames herself for something in her past, so now she immediately assumes the worst every time she commits the slightest social mishap.

Now, a course of action. He is better aware of Ubon’s circumstances, so he should handle her while Prushka deals with Alpa, having already developed a rapport with her through the exchange of presents. Right, sounds like a plan.

With a firm expression, John Dove promptly takes a step forward, his eyes looking for Prushka’s to give her the simple instruction “you handle Alpa”—

”...this makes three, huh? Only one left now who hasn't goofed up is John... and you'd better not be taking that as a challenge, mister.”
    —and just as quickly, he takes two steps back.

Right.

Again, he forgot to account for Prushka’s supernatural abilities. He really should know better by now. Indeed, that is a lot more effective, but on the other hand, she cannot use it on Alpa. Furthermore, realistically speaking, did he really have a chance to succeed at calming Ubon down? Even if he said all the right things, Ubon already knows the kind of person he is. She would know his words are empty platitudes, chosen carefully to attempt to control her emotions.

Prushka is looking at him. Does she want him to do something? Regarding Alpa, perhaps? It is true that the girl from the Himalayas still does not know his warped nature, but is that really what Prushka wants? Does she intend for him to do “the John Dove thing” to help Alpa Bāgha?

Well, he can at least try.

Now, what is the right thing to say here? The target is Miss Alpa Bāgha, a person with hampered social skills. Furthermore, an inability to partake of human contact. He cannot understand or empathize with her desire for either of those things, but he can work with the latter.

Closing his eyes for a moment, John Dove remembers the he from nine or so years ago. A child who had nothing, who acknowledged nothing but the overwhelming image of Her burned into his retinas and engraved in his brain cortex. It was a little different from Alpa’s situation. In his case, it wasn’t that he couldn’t touch anything, but that his brain rejected the signals delivered by his sense of touch.

“You know,” he starts, slowly moving somewhere halfway between his two “real” classmates and the lone, shivering girl. “I was about to do the exact same thing a bit earlier, but unlike Ubon, I managed to catch myself. Because I think too much about things, and Ubon here not quite enough.”

Well, nobody has ever said John Dove is kind, right? Right.

“But that’s because she is too busy actually caring to bother with the whole thinking thing, while I’m plain terrible at that. Caring, I mean.”

His expression softens when he turns to face the “hidden classmate” properly.

“Even someone like me can tell that you don’t really want to be afraid. That you don’t want to react like this every single time somebody reaches out to you like that.”

Now he has to lie a little bit.

“I know how it is, you know. Not touching anything. Keeping a distance from everything. Being afraid and wary of everything, as if the whole world is this strange, alien thing you can’t run away from.”

He is in his element now, freely mixing lies with truths to project exactly what he wants to convey. Or rather, the precise way he wants his target to interpret his words.

“It feels overwhelming, right? There’s nothing you can do and nowhere you can go, because everywhere else is wrong, and everyone else is a stranger, and nothing feels safe. Nothing feels normal.”

Even at his most twisted, when the child John Dove utterly rejected the very reality around him, he always had Her as his anchor, the very fact that She exists his succor in this strange, incomprehensible grey world. What does this girl have? What is her lighthouse in the stormy sea at night?

“I…do not really have any advice on how to overcome that. But I think you could start by taking a look at these two girls,” he continues, gesturing towards Ubon and Prushka still holding hands. “Take a good look at them, at their eyes, and think about what you see in them. You are a proper human, so you should be able to tell what they feel about this. About you.”

With that, he begins a slow retreat, naturally detaching himself from this world of emotions to which he will never belong. But first, one last sentence. Or rather, a question.

“Looking at them, do you really think this is a time to be afraid, Alpa Bāgha?”

Having made his point, he quickly turns to Prushka.

“And yes, Prushka, there is widespread belief in ghosts in traditional Tibetan culture, but I don’t think that is of any relevance to this situation—”

He pauses, taking his eyes to widen his eyes slowly, in a manner rather uncharacteristic of him.

“No, wait; excuse me if I’m mistaken, but by any chance, was that a joke?”

A pointlessly stretched “ooooh…” flows out of his lips.

“…well, my bad. Do forgive my thoughtlessness, Prushka. I’ll just stay quiet from now on,” he says before retreating to a corner of the room. Perhaps some part of him does realize Prushka is completely entitled to hit him right about now.

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “Do you have any way of figuring out who he is once you meet him?”
    Minato glumly shook his head, though stopped right in the middle of it - almost as if something had dawned to him.

"... Well, there's something. While we wouldn't recognize him on sight... I bet he would. At least once he understood who we were. So his reaction might give him away," he explained, bringing up a good point. "That being said, that's it. That's all of it. Not much to go on. His globetrotting in Asia must have happened around two decades ago. After all... we were born around that time. But other than that, our clues are limited."

Just judging by his voice, one could practically hear that this had been something that had stressed the boy out for a quite a while now. And no wonder. Growing up while knowng practically nothing of your father, and then meeting one's half-siblings who had had similar experiences... the desire to know who he was, and why he abandoned them must have been burning in the hearts of every Coastrise sibling. Which was why it wasn't even that surprising to think they had traveled together all the way to USA just on the chance that Yeong-Hui's prophecy was right.

Even if it was possibly a fool's errand.

"--- Still. You're right."

Minato's words suddenly continued, and were aimed straight at Anna.

"... Avoiding unnecessary conflict is wise. Getting into something troublesome because of misunderstanding is just moronic. We need to avoid that," Minato said with a sigh, rubbing his temples. "I think Zhou will be... well, let's say 'capable of conversation' by the evening. Right now she's preparing her... tools... and trying to talk to her is next to useless. We can confront her then and put an end to this. If you're willing to stick around."

The narrowed, ornery eyes of the boy were completely focused on the raven-haired girl, but unlike before, he didn't seem to be really hostile towards her anymore. Instead, this was just his usual behavior. He wasn't exactly social, and talking this much wasn't clearly anything he was used to. Perhaps this straight-forward manner of approaching the problem had, in the end, proved more effective. Especially in the long run.

"That and... well. I'm not the type who likes to be in debt to anyone. So if you two are serious about helping us out, then..." Awkwardly, he scratched the back of his head and stared at his feet. "... I guess I'm willing to help you out too. A favour for a favour."

Well, it was starting to be clear that Minato was the type who had trouble being honest.

"... Or whatever," he mumbled afterwards.

Ramia, on the other hand, was holding back a grin - so as to not ruin the situation.

Colt Davin

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Well, the tea mighta just been a convenient excuse. But that doesn’t mean we can’t indulge. Since we’re already here’n all.”
    Sue Popplewell's eyes lit up.

"Oh! Tea, is it? Alright, just a minute, loves! Take a seat right over there, and I'll brew you something from my own collection! Why, most of the people who come here always come either to shop or to send letters... which makes sense, now that I think about it," the owner said and giggled cheerfully. "Guess I should advertise it more... you know, the fact that I'm more than willing to introduce people to the wonders of good, British tea!"

With a spring in her step and hum on her lips, Sue Popplewell walked over to the small table that had been set in the corner and cleaned up what dishes remained on it. After showing to Colt and Tris that they could sit down, she waltzed over to the back door and disappeared, though the pair could still hear her happy song echo from the back as she started preparing the tea.

Tris, on the other hand, kept watching the store in wonder. Perhaps she hadn't visited here before, or perhaps she was just unfamiliar with stores like this in the first place. Considering where she claimed to be from, the latter option was terrifyingly plausable.

"You loves want some crackers, too?" the voice of the young woman came from the back. "Though... huh. Guess we're out of cheese. Not a bit in the house!"

Tris blinked at the question, then at Colt, and finally shrugged her shoulders.

"... Huh. 'Tis... 'tis an odd feeling I getteth," she said, wondering aloud. "Tea, crackers, and missing cheese..."

The blonde girl's eyes were naturally drawn towards the window outside. There, the rooftops of Road's End, the autumn sky beyond that was dyed in the lights of setting sun and the slowly appearing night... and the moon that had climbed over the horizon, shimmering ever so faintly against the sky before it would show it's full luminous might as the midnight approached.

A confused, and slightly annoyed, look was clear on Tris's face.

"... It's liketh I art remindeth of something..."

Then, quietly, in the lonely store she spoke out...

"Wensleydale...?"

For some reason, Colt felt like he was reminded of something now, too.

How annoying.

[SCENE END /// Move to NEXT Phase!]

Colt Davin: Friendship Rank Raised!

Lucille Faraday

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “I guess we can, for lack of better words, ‘just wing it,’ but that sounds horrendous…”
    "No, we better not."

Sakura shook her head, grimly shooting down that option.

"You're right, milady. The idea of 'just winging it' with a demon is inadvisable at best, a catastrophe at worst. We should not deal with it permanently unless we have a specific plan. Either an... ugh, Anglican exorcist powerful enough to banish it," the brunette spoke, a momentary look of distaste appearing on her face. "Or someone with similar power. In a worst case scenario, even someone or something with equal firepower, capable of neutralizing the offense of a fully incarnated demon would be usable... but I doubt we're in such a luck. As powerful as you are, even you would have trouble with something like that, milady..."

The maid bit her lip in frustrated thought as she paced around the bathroom, trying to come up with ideas.

"--- No specialist team from Rome would be able to make it. Requesting an Arma Christi with firepower equal to a crematorium is likewise too slow. Contacting
    The Silence Mill
    Le Moulin à Silence
    is even harder... Sister Mary is probably back in Europe. And the Witch Hunters are more interested in the offending people who summon those demons and use their powers, not those possessed... Hmm. If we only had an access to a faster method of communication," Sakura grumbled. "I... I suppose we'll simply have to do with what we have an access to now, considering the time-limit."

Then, her eyes snapped back to Lucille. At least some sort of plan was forming in the maid's head.

"What do you know of the abilities of these espers? Controlling minds is no easy task whatsoever, so I'd expect them to be powerful. Depending on what specifically they are specialized in, their abilities might work to our advantage, even if we cannot incapacitate the demon straight up. As for Hwan Bin... hmm. Money is no problem, so hiring should be easy. But a job like this is not easy..." Sakura cocked an eyebrow at her employer. "Do you truly believe him unreliable? A telekinetic could be very useful, as they would be able to restrain Elise's physical body if something goes wrong. Also..."

A momentary dark shadow passed by her face.

"... You spoke of Subaru before, and that she had been discussing with spirits. While it's possible she might be a different person, if she has those same powers..." For a moment, Sakura deliberated on her words, before pressing onwards. "... Would she not be useful? It is a spiritual matter, after all."

She hesitated a bit more.

"Or... do you think her beyond reasoning?"
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; November 11th, 2020 at 01:15 PM.

Blog Entries

Elise Pelltier

About half an hour later, the pair of Elise and Souma finally exited out of the abandoned part of the dormitory, gingerly closing the door behind them.

As it turned out, moving the corpse had both been easier and harder than one would have thought. Indeed, the whole thing was much lighter than it might have appeared, to the point of making it almost feel like even the bones were made of styrofoam or something (though they certainly were real). Still, that same lightness made the corpse rather hard to handle without breaking it up too badly. Being too clumsy or too impatient would have just left them with a pile of broken parts, a jigsaw puzzle that would have been in truly poor taste.

Still, luckily, Souma wasn't kidding when he said he had a gentle touch.

The boy had handled the corpse like he was moving a pile of dust, or a baby that should in no circumstances be dropped. He had mumbled something about having done "careful" work like this before... and indeed, after pulling off his gloves, Elise had been able to see just how nimble and gentle his fingers were, once again. It was like the touch of a spider or a moth, barely grazing things and never putting too much force onto any surface.

Maybe he did miniature models in his spare time, or something similar? Then again, he did cook...

"....... Well," Souma suddenly asked, yanking Elise out of her thoughts. "Where now...?"

It was a good question.

The two of them were standing at the entrance of the old dormitory, with Elise carrying the precious duffel bag and it's gargo (Souma had been put on bucket duty), having to be careful not to swing it around too much. There were couple of choices were to lay the poor soul to rest, including the actual cemetery that was not too far away from the school actually. Rather... rather close to the school, now that Elise thought about it.

But was it the right choice...?

Prushka & John Dove

Surprisingly enough, the noise they first heard coming from within Alpa's hood wasn't a sniffle.

Well, it was mixed in with a little sniffle, but not the main sound. No, instead... it was a tiny giggle. A tiny, fragile sound, but not something they could be mistaken of - a sound of laughter. The girl's eyes, which had been wide with fear just moments prior, had returned to normal and now... they looked even a little bit happy. While fear still lingered there, she had overcome it with something cheerful, and it was all thanks to...

"--- G-gosh. Y-you guys... are pretty good friends, huh?" Alpa asked quietly, wiping his eyes and nose on her over-sized sleeve. "I-I've heard of it... y-you know, being able to joke around with your friends all silly-like... n-never thought I'd see it like t-this!"

Again, she wiped nose in her fluffy garments, looking like a sheep trying to wash itself.

But when her face was revealed, that smile had grown stronger.

"T-than... thanks. R-really, I... I-I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to..."

At that moment, Ubon drew a deep breath. The cyanhead's fragile expression had eased when she had felt the tiny hand take a hold of hers, and while she did not desperately seek salvation from Prushka's hand, Ubon did squeeze it tight. As if to center herself, as if to get back her bearings. She took that hand and used it to support herself when she was about to fall down, making sure she wouldn't shatter now that her happiness had been restored after the tragic events of last night.

And that was perhaps why she was able to speak up again, her voice quivering a little, when Alpa was about to profusedly apologize to them.

"N-no! That's... that was totes my fault, Baggie," Ubon said, looking the smaller girl directly in the eyes. "It's like Johnnie says, I... I'm not good at thinking. N-not really. So while I realized that you didn't like to be touched, for realsies, it just kinda... slipped my mind. I'm sorry... super sorry, Baggie... I should've known better."

Alpa, who had finally started to scoot back closer to the rest of the group, shook her head.

"M-mm, that was m-my fault just as much. I... I should have just been honest. I can't... I c-can't touch others. I-I just can't. It's too much. Even if I want to, my body just... reacts," she said with a little shiver, and hugged herself. "That's one of the things I w-wanted to change by coming here... to make myself alright with touching someone... being touched by someone... b-being held and hold someone in return..."

A simple wish.

A most normal thing to other people.

But not to her.

Even Ubon realized that, as her face twisted in sorrow as she gazed at the girl, looking like she wanted to do nothing more than to catch her in a big, squeezing hug.

... But Ubon refrained, content with squeezing Prushka's hand tightly in turn.

"I-I'm totes sure you will!" The cyanhead piped up, trying her best to encourage their new friend with words. "If you just work on it, slowly and at your pace, you'll be able to do it! A-and I'm sure we'll all be there to help you, too! There's tons of nice people in our class who I'm sure would totes love to be your friends! E-even if they're sometimes meanies, or jerks, or sulky, or sad, or weird..."

Then, with a grin, Ubon turned to look at Prushka.

"... Or tell horrible jokes," she added, flicking the short girl gently on the forehead with her free hand.

Alpa, looking at this exchange, giggled again. Then, she turned her attention to John who had retreated from the scene.

"I... Gosh, I think I u-understand a little what you mean. Looking at all of you... I-I think I can see a bit of it. Mm, I can. A-and..." She hesitated for a moment. "D-don't feel too bad, John. Even if you can't give me a solution right away... A-after all, I doubt there's a simple, single solution like that anywhere in the world. Things aren't so e-easy after all, are they? But still... thank you. Thank you so much."

An innocent smile.

"... H-having someone who can r-relate to me, and w-who knows how I feel... gosh, it feels like the most wonderful thing!"

Innocent in a way that Ubon's or Prushka's smiles, at least when directed to John, couldn't be. After all, they had seen the other side of John Dove, the boy who hid within and who chose his words as best as possible to fit the situation - the person who calculated his responsed based on what he wanted and what was the best outcome. Yet this person... this Alpa Bāgha... exhibited no such hidden understanding. She simply took John's words at face value, and smile out of true happiness because of them. Because she didn't even realize to doubt the authenticity of them.

In other words, pure, untainted trust.

Ironically enough, this girl might have been the first person at Pinefall who trusted John's words implicitly, without even thinking of doubting him.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"I think Zhou will be... well, let's say 'capable of conversation' by the evening. Right now she's preparing her... tools... and trying to talk to her is next to useless. We can confront her then and put an end to this. If you're willing to stick around."
    “Hmm…”

So she was ritual-crafting, was she? No wonder she wouldn’t be able to say much. Ceremonial magecraft was a finicky business, requiring precision, focus, and, perhaps most importantly, time. A ritual performed wrong was no ritual at all, which is why most mages eschewed them, even if there was nothing really limiting a mage from learning ceremonial magic. After all, the Ecliptic held one of the largest, if not the largest, library of magical rituals in the world.

It was just… ritual magic was carried by those who strove towards the supernatural while fundamentally staying in the realm of mankind. To become a mage was the end goal of many mystics, for better or for worse. Not all, or perhaps even a majority, but the number of those who sought to become a part of the supernatural world in not only knowledge but also in being were not few.

One could see this in how the Golden Dawn transitioned from their origin as mystics to one of the points of the Pentagrammon. Even on a personal level, she had run into lunatics like Åkerblom – a former mystic who’d sold her own sanity just for the mere chance of having supernatural blood running in her veins.

Was it truly a surprise that most traditional mages did not hold the craft of Rosicrucians in that high regard? Well, that was the general mindset at the Orloj, at least. Things were completely different at the Glass Palace, where both mystical and magical merged together in an almost indistinguishable manner. Most of those old farts hardly had a reason to complain about mystics, considering they were still sacrificing goats on a weekly basis. Then again, its magical strength was most likely the only reason Kyöpelinvuori had the respect it had. She could easily see the puffed-up lecturers of the Ten Faculties speaking about the “barbaric northerners” in the same tone they did about the “quaint and archaic rituals” of the Rosicrucians, were that not the case.

Anna herself didn’t care that much. She’d never really been in a position where she could afford to underestimate something capable of killing her.

Whether to stay or not – now that was the question here. It could very easily blow up in her face, after all. Her knowledge was incomplete, after all. Despite the older Coastrise sister deliberately misleading the others in regards to the date, it could still be that she hadn’t yet actually used her familiars to scout out the school yet… and explaining why Anna knew what she was just planning, and not actually done yet, would be an annoying hassle to say the least. In the end, just the mere fact that Minato knew it should be enough to derail that particular outcome in the future, but…

"That and... well. I'm not the type who likes to be in debt to anyone. So if you two are serious about helping us out, then..."

"... I guess I'm willing to help you out too. A favor for a favour... or whatever,"
    Anna gave the boy in front of her the flattest, most unimpressed, look, before letting out a snort of amusement.

“That last part was utterly underwhelming, you know? You should skip it if you want people to take that stand-offish façade of yours seriously.” Having said that, a brief half-smile crept onto Anna’s face. “Well, that type of earnestness isn’t wholly unlikeable, I guess.”

“What do you think?” Anna turned towards her dusky-skinned classmate with a slight grin on her face. “Shall we stick around and see how things unfold?”

In the end, it didn’t matter. If the coinflip went sour, she’d deal with it and chart a course forwards from there. It was unlikely she’d end up with less than she started with, half-baked knowledge of the future or not.

Besides… speaking with this “oracle” of a sister might be worth it as well. Though if she was lacking something, it most assuredly wasn’t vague omens and riddles about the future and possibilities.

“I’m up for it on my end, at least.”

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

There was a degree of realistic confusion when the words of 'Adelaide' were ignored. Of course, most normal people would be equally if not more lost if a random 'young' man in a lab coat walked up to them and started inspecting them like they were some science subject for examination. That 'realism' was present there, as her eyebrow arched and her hand covered her mouth to hide the shocked gasp she'd let out at the utter lack of manners this young man displayed.

However, there is a time when the masquerade has to end. A show only serves its purpose not only if the spectators are entertained, but as long as the performers are upholding the fabrics of the 'fantastic' well enough for it to pass as believable. Once it drops, and the actor loses their grip on the audience, once they are recognized no longer as the acted, but rather as the actor instead... then it is time to stop the show, one might argue.

More than these principles of acting however, the utter mention of a single name was sufficient for the woman behind the mask to involve herself directly into these matters, foregoing all pleasantries.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern-European-Sounding Boy
    ...Doctor Bianchi...
    "Well, it would appear that we have a very perceptive one here. Being able to see through our disguise, how unfun... and most displeasing."

The visual disguise is still on, but it is clear now that it is no longer the persona of Adelaide Cheshire that is speaking. Referencing herself as 'us', was most likely the indication that this was not a solo operation... indeed, usually one uses a focus of sorts to act as the catalyst for their abilities -- what was happening there was quite the opposite, the tool was the one that was using its wielder as a catalyst to enact the desired 'miracle'.

"Yet you seem to be as equally bad mannered as observant. That is, a lot, if we may speak frankly. However, I suppose that cutting straight to the chase is rather characteristic of... your kind. Not that she can complain either, if it wasn't for me, the daughter of that woman you mentioned would be little different from you when trying to interact with others."

The mask, Adelaide smirks as she glares at the man in a lab coat. The smirk is transient, lasting only a second or two, before the smile fades away and is replaced with a stern, scrutinizing glare as a pair of eyes belonging to the 'true' person before the young man shine, their cold, empty blue hue matching his sterile gaze. Sterility and Emptiness were not that different from one another, funnily enough.

"Who... are you...? Why do you know me... and Mother?"

It is the voice of Vivienne Bianchi that questions him, and it is quite clear that she isn't going to answer his question before he elaborates on his origins, as well as to why he is privy to such knowledge.
    Last edited by Ayakashi; November 11th, 2020 at 05:22 PM.

Elise Pelltier

"....... Well, where now...?"
    That's a good question, Souma! I can't help but say that I feel like the cat who's caught a mouse but isn't sure what they're supposed to do next now that they have it. If I'm entirely honest, I haven't exactly thought this all the way through, I just sort of jumped on an opportunity and ran with it... though that has gotten us pretty far.

I give the passenger in my duffel bag what I hope is a reassuring pat.

The easy solution is to just head out into the woods and consecrate my own little graveyard, but considering how this poor soul died, alone and afraid, that doesn't feel right. Which leaves me with the other option... St. Diane's Cemetery. It's not that far away from the school, and, judging by the rough position of the sun in the sky, there's probably enough time for Souma and I to head out there, and dig a grave. Of course, I still need to prepare a proper gravestone for this fellow, but one thing at a time...

Normally, I'd assume that St. Diane's Cemetery would be under the jurisdiction of the local church, which would make this really easy, but from what I've been able to gather, Road's End's local church is forgotten, abandoned, and in ruins somewhere. As a result, it seems likely that the local government now has authority over the cemetery and... I have no clue who I'd even need to talk to, even if we could. Based on the content of today's social studies class, I'm sure that Ms. Costa has a lesson plan about Road's End's municipal government, but if it didn't happen this week, it's not terrible helpful to us right now, is it?

Now, if only I knew someone who could give me permission to dig in the cemetery? That's a rhetorical question, of course I do. That's me. I, Sister Elise, do hereby give Elise Marie Pelltier permission to bury the dead in St. Diane's Cemetery. Well, that handles the ecclesial side of things. Not much I can do about the civilian side, they're not going to care about whether or not I've the right to bury the deceased granted to me by the Holy Church. They're just going to see two teenagers from the local mental institution (angry flyer guy's words, not mine) digging up the local cemetery. I suppose just not get caught digging in a graveyard is our best option there. Yikes. Souma and I have probably already broken at least two laws already today, so what's a third at this point?

Ehg.

I glance over at Souma. I feel pretty confident that he can run faster than me. Not to mention he's got that whole spooky stealth thing going for him. If we do get caught, odds are I'm going to be the one left, literally, holding the bag.

"Our next step is heading over to the cemetery and giving our friend here a proper burial. Well, that and probably rustling us up some shovels."

I glance over in the vague direction of St. Diane's.

"You've been a great help so far, Souma. Thanks! Thank you very much. I don't think I could've gotten our friend out of there without your help. That said though, if you're feeling apprehensive about the next part, I'd understand, although your continued assistance would be greatly appreciated."

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, this is what we call a good result. The social crisis was resolved, and Alpa Bāgha trusts him implicitly. He who cannot feel bad about his ways will not start doing so now. However, John Dove cannot forget his first impression of this girl: a lifeless, nameless body at the foot of the stairs.

They are “friends” now, but will that be enough to change her fate? She said herself that she does not spend every waking moment in this room; she wanders at night. Perhaps the Alpa of that week saw something that night before the Sunday of tragedy. For all he knows, she might have seen the person nailing Cesarina Feroce to the yew tree, and paid for it with her life.

“…you are already on the right path, Alpa,” is everything he can add at this point. After that, he regards the other two girls.

“I take it you two will be sticking around for a while, getting to know each other? Maybe having some fun, I dunno?” He inquires. “I am grateful you asked me to be part of this, and it was a pleasure to meet you, Alpa, but it is about time I get going. There is something I have to do tonight.”

Yes. It has to be tonight.

“Ubon; change of plans. I…think you should stay here, hang out with Prushka and our new…friend.” The word comes after a pause, as if he is the one who needs to accept it. “You already helped me more than I deserve, anyway, and I think you staying with Prushka and Alpa would do you all a whole lot of good. I’m sure I’ll have plenty of chances to rely on you this year.”

Yes. There is no need to drag Ubon along for this. There is nothing to suggest these three will be in danger tonight, but should something like that come to pass, they can take care of each other. Alpa Bāgha is not—or rather, should not—be a threat to Prushka and Ubon. Unless she pulls out the Book of Dyzan or something, but that would just be the epitome of absurdity.

…please do not pull out the Stanzas of Dyzan, Miss Alpa Bāgha.

As for John Dove himself, well…he will push himself to work hard, for the sake of everyone’s survival. Particularly so for Anna Vandemeel. and Ramia Ramalsaqr. Even more so for the sake of Elaine Winters. And above all, even if he is incapable of realizing it, for the sake of himself.

He must succeed. He must reach the answers. Death is a better alternative than failure.

If he dies, at least he would no longer be getting in the way of the ones who can fight.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

The sun is down.

We are gathered here.

The trembling girl next to me...

Doesn't break.

Even though she's squeezing my hand hard enough to cut off the circulation, no one breaks.

Tonight won't end in tears. Even though everyone's apologized a million times, we're somehow, while stumbling over our feet every few steps, moving forward.

This is good, isn't it?

Hey Ubon, is it okay now-?

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon
    "... Or tell horrible jokes."
    "Awa!?"

A single flick knocks all those sweet thoughts away in an instant.

"W-what do you mean horrible!? D-don't give me that pitying look, John! It was funny! It was!"

Even though, nobody laughed... no, wait, Alpa giggled at me getting flicked. Does that mean it's hopeless? Is that my role in Road's End, to be the one on receiving end of all the slapstick? What happened to kids being invincible!? I should be Bugs Bunny, not Wile E. Coyote...

"Uuu... e-either way, everything's fine! Don't you worry about a thing, Alpa. We'll help you out. I happen to be an expert on touching. Just you wait, by the end of the year we'll all be sleeping together on the same bed like it's no big deal. Heck, at the rate we're going, it might not even take a week."

Just like Alaska. And home. Ah, those were the days.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “I take it you two will be sticking around for a while, getting to know each other? Maybe having some fun, I dunno? I am grateful you asked me to be part of this, and it was a pleasure to meet you, Alpa, but it is about time I get going. There is something I have to do tonight.”
    Ah, that's John Dove for you. I kind of want to stop him from running off, but...

It's something important, isn't it? And possibly dangerous. I've got something of my own too, and that's definitely dangerous. Even so...

"Hey, John."

I meet everyone's eyes. How about it?

"Got enough time for a quick toast before you go? To like, friendship and all that sappy stuff you love. And making next week a good one."

Would be a shame to leave all these sweets untouched. Especially when they might be the last thing we get to eat.

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “What do you think? Shall we stick around and see how things unfold? I’m up for it on my end, at least.”
    Ramia had to only think it for one moment, before giving a nod to both the raven-haired girl and the surly boy in their company.

"Why not? It's not like this'd be my first time breaking the curfew," the mercenary answered with a lopsided grin. "Just gotta make sure we don't get in trouble with the faculty. As hilarious as it is, getting detention would really hamper our chances at being able to work around here undeterred."

In all honesty, it was so ridiculous that it was sort of funny. Here they were, the prodigy of the Glass House and a child-soldier with a soul of an ancient alchemist in her, and the thing they had to most worry about with this venture was if their teachers noticed them breaking a curfew, and would thus hand them detention. Out here, far away from the worlds they both came from, it was as if they had been transformed into normal teens with normal teen problems, high school and all it's nonsense included. It was ridiculous, but also sort of reassuring, perhaps.

If they had such mundane things to worry about, it put the other horrors of the week out of mind... at least for now.

"In the worst case, I can arrange a couple of illusions," Ramia added with a voice more quiet. "They're not exactly complex in their functions, so don't expect them to answer the door, but at least it'd look like we were sleeping. Anyways..."

Her eyes snapped towards Minato.

"If we're waiting for your sister to be done with her puppetcrafting, I don't suppose you'd know anything interesting to do in the meantime?" she asked, wiggling her eyebrows. "Y'know, you've got two ladies to show a good time here, after all..."

Minato grumbled annoyedly under his breath, and scratched the back of his head.

"... Whatever. The pudding here's good at least..."

This was going to be a bit of a wait, wasn't it? And from the looks of it, Alex and her mysterious guest had left too, meaning there was no more spying of them either...

Anna Vandemeel: Friendship Rank Raised!

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "You've been a great help so far, Souma. Thanks! Thank you very much. I don't think I could've gotten our friend out of there without your help. That said though, if you're feeling apprehensive about the next part, I'd understand, although your continued assistance would be greatly appreciated."
    "............ Heh."

The only real answer, at first, was a singular sound of amusement that echoed from Souma's lips.

The boy took few steps ahead, starting upon the dirt path that would eventually lead to the gates, and from there, to the unkempt asphalt road stretching both to the direction of the town as well as the cemetery on the opposite direction. He stopped, silently, gazing out towards the distant grounds of the dead with that one amber eye of his, saying not a word - but looking both pleased and, as said, amused... like a snake that had woken up from the cold depths of winter to the warmth of the spring. The descending evening sun framed his silhouette as a black mirage within Elise's field of vision, and for a moment he looked nothing more than a shadow against a blazing backdrop.

Almost like he wasn't real.

Or that he could fade away at any moment.

Just an enigmatic thought passing through.

Or perhaps...

--- The only thing that was actually real in this place.

"... Apprehensive? No... It wouldn't be the first time," Souma said, his soft voice slithering out of his mouth. "You've let me experience something interesting... so I'll help you till the end. Besides... this is nothing new to me. If anything... this is far more mundane than the school. It feels good to be back on the... ah... right track, so to speak. A lesson to remind me, I suppose."

He chuckled to himself, that velvet-like voice echoing in the silence of the campus grounds, as he turned to look back at Elise.

"Though I admit..."

His smile widened.

"... I rarely buried the bodies."

And with that, he was off, towards the St. Diane Cemetery, clearly expecting Elise to follow.

Elise Marie Pelltier: Friendship Rank Raised!

Prushka & John Dove

"Hey, John. Got enough time for a quick toast before you go? To like, friendship and all that sappy stuff you love. And making next week a good one."
    Alpa was quick to nod at that suggestion, pushing the box of treats towards the three new friends she had made once more.

"Y-yes, we should at least finish this now that the box is opened!" the girl hurried to say, at the same time digging through her bags for something to drink. "Gosh, I swear I had a thermos of tea here somewhere... J-just a moment!"

Outside, one could see that the sun was already starting to set. The afternoon had given a way to the evening, and soon enough the night sky would take over, along with the low-hanging moon. However, for now, everything was painted over with the colours of blazing orange and golden, leaving the group in the old library with an odd sense of finality. Or perhaps finality was not the right word for it. Maybe it was just this strange feeling that this meeting had put an end to one chapter, and they had turned the page to reach the next, where things would no longer be quite the same.

Ubon was perhaps having similar thoughts, as while she was still holding onto Prushka's hands, the girl was having some sort of internal battle at the moment... two desires within her clashing, trying to come out on top, and finally settling into some sort of equilibrium.

"Johnnie... I can't just do that. I already promised you, didn't I?" She said, putting her foot down. "Besides, Prushie's strong! Heck, I think she's even stronger than me! If anything goes wrong, I'm sure she can protect Alpa, for realsies. Meanwhile, you ain't gots anybody to protect you unless I come with you... so I'm coming!"

She let out a harrumph and folded her arms.

"Simple as that."

Then, after few seconds of wearing the most serious expression... a grin cracked through the facade.

"Besides, it's not about how much you 'deserve' to be helped out by anyone! Things like that are just nonsense your all logic-y brain made up," the girl continued, poking at John's nogging with her finger teasingly. "I promised to help you out, so I will - end of story. After all..."

Ubon giggled, and gave a conspiratory grin towards Prushka.

"Someone's gotta look after him, right?"

John Dove: Friendship Rank Raised!

Prushka: Friendship Rank Raised!

Vivienne Bianchi
    [BGM]

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne
    "Who... are you...? Why do you know me... and Mother?"
    The boy scoffed, looking rather disinterested in words of both the mask and the girl underneath.

"Stop it. Your feigned attempts at dissociative identity disorder hardly interest me. Try as you might to appear different, or take on a persona wholly different, it's nothing more than putting on a mask. You're still the same person - and the only one you're fooling is yourself. Of how you can behave, and that these attempts at self-hypnosis are nothing more than placebo," the boy spoke, his voice rumbling deeper and deeper, and those red eyes of his burning into Vivienne's skull. "Hmh. Scared, alone, so self-assured there's nothing there that you have to lie to yourself to feel again... pitiful."

His eyes held nothing but scorn, and though he was much shorter, he still looked down on Vivienne as he gazed at her from the short distance.

At the same time, the setting sun dyed the corridor madder red.

And the boy's shadow stretched longer and longer, until it felt like it was consuming the girl as a whole.

"If you were truly empty, you would have nothing, no matter what you did. Yet here you are. I wonder how long it will take you to accept that fact, and stop lying to yourself?" the boy continued, framed by the setting sun and shadows. "It's time you gazed into that void you hold within you, and realize it's nothing but a wellspring of everything. Stare deep into it, and understand how fundamentally wrong you are of the nature of the chaos within ourselves. Of within you."

What was he even talking about at this point?

It was hard to say.

But somehow...

... It felt familiar.

As did those burning eyes.

"You may call me a doctor. Or a professor. Or perhaps a scholar."

The red eyes were burning even harsher, the only thing visible in the face overtaken by the harsh darkness.

"But I only have one name."

And they were trained straight at Vivienne... Vivienne who, finally, felt the warning from her instincts. The warning to defend herself, to strike first before she was struck down, or to escape and take Alex with her. The danger was real. The danger had embodied itself in this boy before her, taking on a human form without explanation or reason. All that was left was this realization of threat and her trained instincts telling her to do something before the choice was taken out of her hands.

When had the situation become this bizarre?

When had the boy become enveloped in shadows?

And when had his voice become coiled claws wrapped around Vivienne's throat?

"--------- Satel."
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; November 17th, 2020 at 03:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

"-------"
    “...”

I’ve underestimated Lobo the King of Currumpaw’s anger. While I was expecting some backlash from a clearly more traditional Turnside user… I didn’t expect him to let his original prey go so easily. I was originally banking on him being goal oriented and on his status as a guard dog to make this easier. I could’ve probably let Lobo handle the situation since I would see him on Friday. However, it was a little tantalizing to eliminate someone antagonistic to someone that helped me last week.

"Thanks? For interfering? Hah... quite the mouth you've got there, lass. Almost as abrasive as your entrance. Tracking that man is useless. Once his Ecclesiastical Accent fades, he'll hide... and he's pretty darn good at that. In other words, he's long gone now."
    “Wasting time it is then… Also yes I would’ve liked thanks for saving you because unless you were going to dramatically pull out your ace in a hole at the last minute. It looked like you needed help so I decided to intervene because you look like someone I knew.”

I wasn’t lying. He did look similar to someone I knew. I just failed to mention that it was him from last week.

“So what caused you to be on the wrong end of the Church or were they feeling especially overzealous today? Also even if his accent fades, there’s always more mundane methods of tracking.”

Everyone for some horrible reason believes that Turnside issues had to be solved with Turnside methods. Yes, it made things awfully convenient. Cast a guidance spell or a tracking spell to find your prey. But what if they used a spell as strong to cover them. Do you just throw your hands up in the air and give up? No, you look for signs. Blood drops, disturbed vegetation, eye witnesses, and even investigating suspicious personnel.

"You though... not much of a look of a holy warrior in you. And your weapon doesn't exactly scream of a mage or a mystic either. So an android or an esper, huh? No matter..."
    “So quick to assume I’m not normal huh. I’m not sure if I should be flattered since I haven’t done anything as flashy as you or Crimson. All I’ve done so far is shoot a gun well within its effective range.”

When he started pulling out tarot cards from thin air instead of using his spear, I was suspicious. I was well within his range to stab with his spear because he was well within the range of me punching him. With that in mind, I had the sneaking suspicion that the spear wasn’t too useful against “world supported” Turnside members like me or that he thought I would be a pushover.

"I've no idea why you're here or who you are, but at the same time, I don't care. You came between me and my prey... Why shouldn't I make you my next one?"
    “I have several reasons why you shouldn’t fight me. First, I know Caleb Montjoy and I know you spoke to him earlier. Currently, I’m about to help him with one of his issues. Second, I wouldn’t be giving you a thrilling fight like Crimson was instead I would be only disengaging from you the whole time.”

That being said, I made it a point to let my UMP45 go from my hands and just casually hang on me from its sling. Truth be told, just letting my gun rest on its sling wouldn’t affect my ability to rapidly fire on him, but it’ll visually show that I don’t want to fight. The usefulness of the gun at this range and while I’m visible is questionable as well…

“Finally… If you want to hunt one of the Church’s hidden assassins, then wouldn’t it be best if a church assassin helps you find them? Let’s just say I know someone who might be willing to help you out as long as you leave their charge alone.”

I stare at Lobo the King of Currumpaw dispassionately.

“You could say that no matter what happens with that meeting, you’ll benefit in some way. If it turns out that they’re allied with Crimson, you get to fight another church assassin. If they help you out, then you’ll get to continue your fight with Crimson and this time I’ll stay out of it. Even in the worst case scenario where they decide to stay out of it and be neutral, you’ll probably be able to figure out who around them is involved with the Turnside as well.”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

"Someone you know...?"

For some reason, a wicked, amused grin split Lobo's face for a moment, breaking through his annoyance and anger. Afterwards, the rough, barking laugh that echoed in the forest was good enough sign to indicate that something in what Vier had said had been very, very amusing to the older man. With his cards and his spear hanging loosely now, it didn't seem like he was poised to attack immediately... though just like Vier, the man was the type that could strike at any moment, from almost any stance possible. But this laugh... why did he find it so funny?

And why did that laugh sound so bitter?

"I see. A sentimental reason, lass, and not exactly the type I'd expect from someone like you. Well, whatever. What comes to your other questions... well, it's quite elementary actually. A normal person wouldn't keep their cool while witnessing a battle like this - much less know about the Holy Church and their warriors," Lobo continued, swinging his spear to a more eased position, with the shaft resting against his shoulder. "The fact that you got involved in the first place outed you. Though thinking that a single Der Nagel would do me in, and that I'd need a rescue... I suppose that outs you as an amateur as well. Or at the very least naive."

The bestial eyes narrowed as they glared at Vier.

"Even if it were to kill me, you shouldn't have interfered. That's just besmirching the nature of a good, honorable duel."

However, immediately after letting loose that growl of a warning, Lobo lifted his shoulders... end exhaled, forcing out the sharpest hostility from himself. It was like he dispelled the bloodlust from within him, attempting to bring the conversation to a bit more civilized tone. Though, at the same time, it would likely flare up again if Vier started pressing his buttons.

"Anyways, I see. So you know that kid - good for you. I've only talked to him on a whim. If you're planning on helping him, try to do something about that Knightmare that follows him around. That juggernaut is a right pain in the ass, I tell you lass," Lobo spoke again, glancing towards the direction of the overlook. "I'd take the assassin prowling this area any day. At least he has some rules. If you come to his territory, he'll attack you - simple as that. That's why he had beef with me in the first place. And why he knows these woods like the back of his hand."

Lobo snorted, again in amusement.

"But, as much fun as it is to fight him... I guess I'll have to deal with him permanently at some point. That's what my master wants, at least. So yeah, if you're planning on being a killjoy, meeting up with another member of their fabulous organization isn't a bad idea," he continued. "That being said, don't take me for a fool, lass. I'm not agreeing on anything before I know who I'm dealing with here."

He flashed those wolf-like teeth of his into Vier's direction.

"Since you're the one who brought it up to save your sorry hide, the ball's in your court. Start talking," he cackled. "I do love to meet new women, and hear of their hobbies and dreams."