Page 161 of 244 FirstFirst ... 61111151156159160161162163166171211 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,220 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)
    Weather: Overcast

“What I find more strange is for you to be here,” I said as my eyes bore a hole through Alex’s forehead, “Or should I find the you at the school strange?”

An eyebrow raised, I crossed my arms in front of my chest as I continued.

“Quite efficient to be able to work everything simultaneously like that. Can’t say I’m not impressed, but the coordination could be better.”

Maybe she’ll get it, maybe she won’t. It was hardly any of my business, but the idea of someone shamelessly fooling everyone around themselves with a perfect doppelganger was more than bothersome.

Especially considering how people impersonating others seemed to be a commonplace around here.

My expression softened as I let the matter rest - for now - and changed to a different topic.

“What’s so strange about wanting to check the library, anyways? I heard it is quite the collection, and I love books as much as I like mysteries...something that this town is quite full of.”

Of course, I preferred the kind of mysteries where the lack of time wasn’t so pressing and things didn’t end up with my death, but I didn’t exactly want to mention that right now.

My gaze shifted to Rachel as my lips curled into a small smile.

“Of course, if you are busy, I don’t want to hold you up. Working here must be quite busy, let alone to have time to entertain some random students.”

Tapping my lips with a finger, I pretended to be deep in thought for a moment.

“Though, I might have something interesting to show you in exchange.”
    Last edited by Cheetose; September 18th, 2020 at 10:24 AM.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye & Adelaide Cheshire

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide
    "It would appear that your romantic notions have been repealed for now, Mister Hawthorne. I believe however that she has not closed the door for you however, rather, she would appear to be suggesting that you reconsider your method of entry. Though perhaps... an apology is owned to Miss Sierra before she throws something worst than a cat at you. Still, Miss Liana mentioned something about naming a gun after her -- are you a gunsmith of sorts? Your sense of humor surely is as explosive as gunpowder!"
    Hawthorne, who had been rolling his eyes at Liana's attempts at going on an offensive (and apparently cooking up some sort of retort of his own, if the smug grin reflected on his face was anything to go by) stopped what he was doing and instead focused his attention to the gril addressing him. When he heard the question, the tall man simply snorted, amused for some reason, and shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, I don't know if you can call me that. Nor do I think my sense of humour is that good. If anything, it's worse than usual. That's why I like hanging out with this girl right here - she's the type to appreciate bad jokes," Hawthorne replied, nodding towards Liana with his head. "Besides, little lady has it all wrong here... I mean, I have named some guns, but that's not an usual occurence."

He put his hands to his hips and cast a mildly amused look towards Sierra.

"See, there's only two guns that I've named after women. And even them only because they were modeled after..." He let those words hang in the air for a moment, as if forgetting himself... before laughing and shaking his head. "... Nevermind. That's not really important."

Sierra, who had finally lowered the cat she had been holding (and was now hugging it sternly like she was gonna keep the whole animal, and didn't even realize it) stared at Hawthorne with a suspicious look in her eyes, but eventually relented with a sigh of her own.

She then turned towards the other girls.

"See what I mean? He can be insufferable. We really need someone to knock him down a peg or two, lest he's gonna keep going like that all his life," she said. "And that can lead to nowhere good."

Alex chuckled at that, shielding her mouth with her glove.

"Indeed. Some men certainly need a good woman to guide them."

Having said that, the "butler" turned to look towards her charge, raising an eyebrow at Adelaide.

"See, milady? As you can witness, sometimes appearances can be deceiving. One can find knights in strangest places, and hidden truths just by asking," she said, looking amused as if there was some joke here. "Nevertheless, should we keep going? There's still much to do in the day. Unless of course, you have something more you wish to discuss."

Alex's eyes glanced towards the direction of the trio, ever so slightly narrowed.

"... Or our new acquiantances have."

Prushka & John Dove

Who could be blamed for it more?

Prushka, who had decided to sneak as slowly as she could in order to avoid making undue noise?

Or John, who had leaned in from the second story landing to see what was taking so long, brushing aside a thick layer of dust that had gathered on top of the bannister?

Well, whoever was at fault, the end result was still the same.

Prushka, who had been advancing carefully and quite admirably so far found herself suddenly accosted by a cloud of dust that fell from the second floor. At the same time her nose, which had been opening up and switching to a more sensitive mode thanks to her desire to sniff the emotions of those inside the faculty office, ended up getting a good doze of said dust into it, tickling all the wrong places within her nose. As a natural reaction, this send signals up to Prushka's brains, setting off a chain reaction that eventually culminated in a knee-jerk reaction from her body to expel foreign matter from her nasal passages.

In other words... a sneeze.

And another.

And another.

Six times, like a sneezing cat stuck on a loop, the tiny girl's body was rocked by these sounds, just outside the door to the faculty office.

And inside?

Inside Suzana Costa let out a short little shriek, apparently having been spooked by the sudden loud soud. Meanwhile Ronja Leuzinger clamped her mouth shut and let loose a litany of quite curses... though she calmed down much faster than her colleague. This gave her time to assess the situation. The fact that she, school nurse, was at the faculty office, it was after school and a student with a horrible sneezing problem was trying to come inside...

... Well, she made her own deductions.

"Oh my, bless you, girl," Miss Leuzinger said as she opened the door, revealing Prushka on the other side. "Here you go, paper handkerchief until the worst passes. Come on now, wipe that nose and blow it."

Switching immediately to a professional mode, she school nurse handed Prushka an already opened package of said paper handkerchiefs and then took a step back, giving the girl some room so she could enter.

"I'm sorry I wasn't at my own office. Miss Costa called me here to discuss something dreadfully boring," Ronja Leuzinger continued with a hint of a smirk, ignoring her frowning colleague at the other side of the room. "Now then, what's going on? Allergic reaction? Or are you feeling ill? I know there might be some problem with dust in the dormitory, is it about that?"

While the nurse was talking, she was naturally guiding Prushka towards one of the seats, almost like she had already made this place her office.

... Meanwhile, John Dove was left, standing at the second floor landing, staring at what his hands had (maybe) wrought.

Colt Davin

Frauke Wiolant's eyebrows rose towards her hairline as she heard what Colt had to say. Quickly enough, her eyes glanced towards Tris who, after realizing they were being addressed by the owner of the shop, had blushed brightly and was now awkwardly fiddling her fingers and keeping her eyes to the ground. It was almost like a young kid being presented to a new authority figure, and they didn't know what they should do or say. However, something in the way the blonde girl looked must have convinced Frauke of... something, because just as quickly she nodded, and gestured the two of them to follow her.

Meanwhile she herself spun around on her heels, and marched back towards the workshop proper.

"Jawohl! Well, if it's tools for pest control that you're looking for, then you've certainly come to the right place! Everything I make here is one-hundred percent guaranteed to be perfect for the job! After all I, Frauke Wiolant, make no duds! Nägel mit Köpfen machen, and all that! Wie dem auch sei, of course, as you understand, I cannot just sell these kinder of mine to just anybody. I must make sure that you are fit to wield one of my precious creations. Formalities and all that. So, is there some ID you could show me?"

Again with this question.

Though this time, the reason for it was perhaps a bit more understandable.

As the duo arrived to the workbench and the display case set on the wall, Colt could see the array of various guns vaguely through the frosted (and probably armored) glass. And from what he could see, those guns were far from normal. On the first visit, they had looked almost like model guns, but having seen his fair share of weirdness during the last week, the boy could take an educated guess that most of these weapons... no, probably all of them were "Turnside Weaponry". In other words, weapons meant for the Turnside, and thus they would stay there.

So that was what Frauke was asking.

A proof that he was part of the Turnside.

"O-oh! Thou art a smithy, then?" Tris asked, the other shoe finally dropping for her. "Dost thou maketh weapons here?"

Frauke grinned proudly, fists on her hips and that shark-like sharp grin on full display.

"Wahahaha, natürlich!" She answered, laughing proudly. "That's what Thulewerk is! Custom jobs, repairs, original creations... my shop offers all this and more! And I promise, you won't find a better Waffenladen anywhere in town!"

Well, that sales-pitch sounded somewhat familiar.

Elaine Winters
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THURS)
    [BGM]

Finding the place, in the end, was pretty darn easy.

The instructions that Johanna had given, plus the address scribbled to a post-it note had done wonders in helping Elaine pinpoint the location of the supposed "black clinic" operating somewhere in town... and not only that, but from the looks of it, this house in particular was the only one with any people living in it around this area. It was a patch of residential area just outside the road that would take people up the Blue Tail Peak and eventually to the Owl's Nest Hotel itself. Here, at the root of the so-called mountain, the scenery was far more flat and the forest just seemed to sprout towards the heavens from people's backyards. However, most of the houses seemed empty, with curtains pulled over windows and cars missing from the driveways and garages...

... All except for one.

An unassuming, off-white house built into the hill - one that one could see in just about everywhere in America.

Yes.

As long as one only gave it a cursory glance.

However, if one started staring for any longer, few strange details started popping up. Like the fact that the garage was absolutely filled to the brim with stuff. And just filled, packed. It was like a game of Tetris in there, and there was no way anyone could actually fit in there, much less a car. Then there was the fact that an anatomical study doll, along with a skeleton, had been set into main window that looked out to the street... and the two had been intertwined into a passionate hug and a kiss from the looks of it. Forever stuck in their daring position. And lastly (foro now), but certainly not the least... was that blue smoke coming from the chimney.

"Hoo boy..." Kean muttered as he stepped out of the car, looking around. "Now this seems like a place of a totally sane person.."

His mutterings were not said too loudly, on the off-chance that the good doctor was outside.

When no retort came, the boy turned back towards Elaine and pointed his thumb at the front door.

"You wanna do the honours?"

Elise Pelltier

Setting up the little "trick" was trivial at this point. While the door was in better shape than most of those inside the abandoned part of the dormitory, it was still just a normal door. Once the correct words had been applied, the blade of the small knife would slice through them like butter and let Elise open the door by mere pulling on it slightly hard. That was, indeed, the easy part.

Positioning herself wasn't hard either. With Souma now lounging over at the other side of the small room, leaning against the empty doorframe and folding his hands, he barely saw Elise in the first place. Having set herself so that she would be between Souma's stare and the lock, the brunette had completely minimized the possibility of the boy catching anything of note from what she was doing.

The only problem, of course, was the sound. But that could be taken care of if Souma just started talking, as his words would cover Elise's own.

Though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "This-this might take a minute. Back at the beach, when we first met and you offered to help Ubon and I rescue John, Prushka and Subaru… It sounded like you wanted to say more there, but I, uh, kinda didn't quite, uh, catch it."
    "............ Maybe I did."

Souma's soft, silk-like chuckle filled the room, and that haunting smile spread on his face once more as he looked at the girl with him.

... Yes, therein lay the exact problem.

As if Souma was going to start talking for long enough for Elise to properly mask what she was doing!

If anything, he almost seemed to be enjoying himself right now, teasing the girl by being cryptic.

Hisa Momoi

Alex smiled quietly, looking slightly amused, but that was the extent of her facial expressions.

"I apologize if I've appeared odd. Being here at Road's End is... quite jarring after Paris, so settling in takes some time," she said, letting Hisa's veiled accusations flow around her, never touching, like she had been a steady rock within a stream of water. "As for being here, well, I believe brisk biking after sitting for hours upon end in a classroom is healthy, no?"

There wasn't outright hostility tinting Alex's voice, but it was clear that she didn't appreciate words like these thrown against her face. Maybe it was because she didn't understand what Hisa was implying, or because she coolly denied or, or simply because she didn't want to talk about it... bottom line was, it wasn't making the reporter warm up to the group, at least.

"As for the strangeness of visiting a library... nothing, really?" Alex continued. "What I found strange was your group. You yourself, Mercedes West... Pyry Leijonamieli and... well, I do believe we haven't had the opportunity to introduce ourselves."

Alex's eyes, now flashing with curiosity, had stopped at Gradient who seemed a bit uncomfortable being the center of the attention all of a sudden.

Rachel, on the other hand, returned Hisa's words with a bit of a wry, tired smile.

"Well as you can see, it's really busy right now. But that doesn't mean I can just up and skip outta here. My uncle would tan my hide if he found out I'd left the reception unmanned," the redhead said. "If it's something important though, I can try to get someone to stand in for me for a moment. Unless you think we can talk here?"

Alex, who had been watching Gradient and now this exchange, closed her little notebook and put her pen away, hidin gthem in the pockets of her big jacket.

"I suppose our interview is at an end then, mademoiselle," she said, turning towards Rachel. "I thank you for your time and if anything comes up from the topics we talked about, you know where to find me and how to contact me."

Then, she tipped her invisible hat towards the rest of the group.

"Apologies, but I have another person I need to still see. If you'll excuse me..."

With that, she left towards the dining hall, taking a longer way around the group as if she was clearly trying to get as much distance between herself and Pyry as possible. Mercedes stared after the blonde reporter, and after a moment of awkward silence, she muttered something under her breath.

"... Something, like, stinks."

From the looks of it the actress had realized it too.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Thus came the question that Colt knew was coming but had hoped would get skipped this time. At this point it was obvious that this place, its owner and her employee of the well-endowed hands were part of the Turnside. Frauke wasn’t obeying the rules of the country or the state. She was obeying the rules of her side of the world.

“Law is law, after all.” Colt glanced up at the display case against the wall. Legal identification wouldn’t open the locks keeping that glass in place. It would be a gamble, but from here on out he’d have to get used to taking gambles. “This might do.”

Colt reached into his pocket and pulled out his locket. At this point there was no playing around it, this gift was not from the normal side of the world. If he himself was rooted in the everyday, the mundane, then the old trinket in his hands was a magnet, drawing the strange toward him. A shackle that kept one foot in a world he didn’t belong.

Here he was trying to take more steps into that world.

He placed the locket on the workbench, pointing at the faded symbol beneath all the wear and tear that had made even Pyry turn pale. What it might represent was beyond him, but he knew that it meant something. Maybe that something would be enough to get him the pass.

“Feel free to inspect it, but… don’t hold too tight.” Colt took a step back. “You might lose an arm.”

Then he looked over at Tris. Frauke had given her a strange look earlier. Like she had noticed something. Maybe it was obvious at a glance that the blonde was already part of the abnormal world. Or maybe she was just admiring her abnormal chest. Understandable.

On top of that it felt eerily as though he had been singled out. Like he was being told, ‘you, the outsider, prove you may enter.’

But still.

“Hey Tris,” Colt called the girl’s name and turned back to the workbench. “You’re pretty strong, right? Could you lift that bench on your own?”

Elaine Winters

"Truth be told, for some reason I feel more at ease seeing the home of this person in this way than I would be going to a regular, everyday clinic."

At least the house of a weirdo who wore their weirdness out in the open for people to see felt more honest than the more realistic back alley doctor contributing to the slow death of the underclass via the opioid epidemic.

Granted, the blue smoke (True Lover's Knot, my nose told me) did not exactly put me in the right mindset for a medical professional of the modern day, perhaps if I was poking around the back country during the dark ages, maybe.

Doesn't exactly smell great either, let me tell you. Bleh.

"Besides, I think the doll and the skeleton are cute, even if you probably shouldn't keep a ferret in your car like that. Does it have water?"

It didn't.

It did have a case of Pabst Blue, though, which I felt a distinct longing for in the back of my mind, which slowly grew stronger as I approached the door.

Truly transgressing the boundaries between flesh and bone should be applauded, though.

There was a hoop there, I supposed for some people interested in basketball, though, as I strolled closer, I saw only signs of smallish hoof-prints, like a bunch of tiny horses had gathered for a pick-up game or something.

Hmm.

"Weird prints."

Something about them seemed a bit strange, but I couldn't pick out anything too odd about them besides tiny hoofprints, which admittedly is pretty weird, not gonna lie.

I'd just hang on to that detail and shelve it for later, then.

For now, I shrugged, strolling idly up to the door, hesitated a brief moment, then reached up and knocked on the door.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

"Yes, I suppose a Knightess would be a rather rare thing... But I suppose you could say becoming one was one of my life goals? I grew up on stories of knightly valor after all, my mother was rather old-fashioned in her choice of bedtime stories."

She chuckles.

"As for uniforms... Well, milady is the sort to... How to say, customize the wardrobe? I can wear whatever I like so long as the clothes are of good quality, practical, easy to move in, and thus easy to do my job in... Milady is one that appreciates efficiency over appearances."

A good girl, very practical, being too stuffy with your uniform was asking for trouble, still...

When it came to Hawthorne mentioning that she could appreciate bad jokes, well...

"Of course I can appreciate bad jokes! They're the best kind!"

She giggles again, and...

"Like, do you know why the middle ages were called the dark ages? Because there were too many knights!"

...Ah.

Even Zee, who is but a cat, and is being held snuggly against the body of a smaller human, can't help but look away from his owner in mild disdain at that particular joke...

Or something like that anyway.

Zee is simply a cat after all, it could very well be a simple random chance reaction...

But the smug, almost proud look Liana has for a second after saying it, as if she had been waiting for days to slip something like that into a conversation somewhere, well...

Perhaps the cat has experience with bad jokes.

Nevertheless, she comes to her senses soon after...

Thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra
    "See what I mean? He can be insufferable. We really need someone to knock him down a peg or two, lest he's gonna keep going like that all his life," she said. "And that can lead to nowhere good."
    "Agreed, but don't worry."

She winks at the smaller girl.

"I won't leave town until I do~ We'll figure something out, there are definitely cracks in his armor."

""... Or our new acquaintances have."
    As for this particular... Question as it were, well...

These two were not exactly in her plans for the evening...

"I can't think of anything in particular... Although it was certainly nice speaking with you."

...Well, that wasn't quite true.

She could question why the girl with the familiar art book was here under these circumstances, but her own presence was just as suspicious, so...

Letting it pass for now was probably for the best!
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Achoo!"

What the heck just happened? I was sneaking forward all quiet, and then-.

"Achoo!"

Yes, that. Then Ms. Leutzinger opened the door and-.

"Achoo!"

Tissues, where are the tissues?

"Ach-!"

The sneeze that was about to shake my body like a branch is finally halted in its tracks. In its stead is the sound and feeling of a nose being blown, trumpeting through the room.

"Uuu..."

I feel dizzy... to think I'd be foiled by a bit of dust, how humiliating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Leutzinger
    "I'm sorry I wasn't at my own office. Miss Costa called me here to discuss something dreadfully boring. Now then, what's going on? Allergic reaction? Or are you feeling ill? I know there might be some problem with dust in the dormitory, is it about that?"
    "Eh?"

I blink.

Oh, she must think I'm here for something health-related, because she wasn't at her office. What a convenient excuse to drop into my lap like that.

"Oh, no, thank you, I'm fine... achoo-! N-none of my congenital issues have anything to do with sneezing, so it's not a problem - achoo!"

Tissues, tissues, need more tissues.

Pause. Blink away the tears. Wait a few seconds. Gonna sneeze again? No? Good.

"I... I was just passing by and heard someone talking," I finally manage to say, without being interrupted by a sneeze. "So I wanted to ask whoever was in here a few things. And then..."

That excuse may be convenient, but I've no use for a fabrication. Instead, Ms. Leutzinger's misconception should be corrected.

"Achoo-!"

When my eyes and nose finally clear following another round of blowing and wiping, and the blurry figures of two women before me resolve into Suzana Costa and Ronja Leutzinger, I can finally stare them down.

"...y'know, I get that Road's End is in the middle of nowhere so there isn't much choice, and I don't really believe in arbitrary rules about faculty and students not being allowed to mingle. It's why I don't mind the ogling during class. Some of the guys probably even enjoy it. It might be sketchy, but it's not always wrong. Love can bloom even on the battlefield after all. Even between someone young and someone a little less young. But..."

How to best put this?

"You can do better than the boys in our class, can't you?"

Ms. Leutzinger and Ms. Costa are both attractive ladies, and there must be plenty of decent guys in town. Besides, the quality of males in Pinefall is kinda low.

"And having a secret list of all their good and bad points is a bit much... achoo-!"

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Souma Nubata
    "............ Maybe I did."
    Elise sighed harshly as Souma delighted himself in being laconic, cryptic, and definitely not taking the bait. Really, she wasn't sure what else she expected from Souma. She pulled the knife out from between the door and the door frame, sparing the latch bolt from its execution, but condemning the rest of the door in its stead.

"I was hoping I could do this carefully, but I don't think I can pull it off without putting an ugly nick in the blade of your knife," said Elise sadly as she looked over the edge knife one more time, "This knife's been through a lot, and I'd be beside myself if I damaged your knife like this."

Elise took a step away from the door, and offered the knife, handle first, back to Souma.

It'd be nice to be able to get in there without it being super obvious that someone broke their way in there, but, really, one way or the other I was always going to have to break this door, thought Elise as she paid the sturdy old door its last respects, I'm sorry, door, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was going at least a little bit satisfying.

"Heh, you know what they say," said Elise as she raised her foot and prepared to give the door a swift kick under the doorknob, "Always put your best foot forward!"

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"How reasonable are they? If it's a trio, then I'd wager they're used to fighting together, having abilities that complement each other - so if things come down to it, we might want to try to separate them... though honestly, I'd like to avoid that altogether,"
    “Hmm… Agreed.” Anna’s eyes momentarily clouded over in thought as they gazed at the gray sky above. “They’re split up at the moment. Two are in the room upstairs, the boy’s downstairs.”

“I think we’ll get more out of the brother than the mystic herself. From the looks of things, he might be more “to the point”, so to speak. If necessary, I can cut us off from outside interference and prying eyes, but…”

“Well, in any case, getting the info out of them normally would be preferable to fighting. I wasn’t really planning to just go in there and beat them up for no reason. That was always more of a fallback plan if anything.”

A small chuckle echoed throughout the ridge of the forest, as the Estonian witch stood up from her leaning position and gave her jacket a couple of quick pats to dislodge the chips of wooden bark from it.

“But y’know. In our profession, you got to prepare for the worst. Can’t always ride on good intentions, now can we?”

"Still, a bunch of siblings... a coven maybe? Though they hardly have similar ones in the Far East as we've got here. Oh crap, I hope we aren't dealing with dugpas, that would be the worst..."
    “Redcaps? Hmm… should be fine, I think…is what I’d like to say, but I can’t rightly say one way or another. Not enough info, really.” Those words were accompanied by a small shrug. “Though even if they are, it won’t change what we have to do on our end. Might make it even more important, in fact.”

“In addition to these damn familiars being bloody annoying, if things keep on like this, one of our... less esoteric classmates might end up getting hurt.” Anna let out a deep sigh, as she pulled out the toothpick in her mouth and discarded it in the undergrowth around them. “Or worse. I’d rather not wake up and find someone's corpse in front of the dorms if I can help it."
    Last edited by Mellon; September 20th, 2020 at 03:54 AM.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Date: 08.09.1994

…well, now there is a way to get people’s attention and good will. Truly, every moment spent with Prushka is a learning experience. Of course, it is debatable whether he could use a similar technique, what with him being neither small nor cute. In any case, Prushka has made it inside the faculty office, and hopefully she will make something out of the opportunity.

As for himself, well, it is quiet and peaceful. At least until Ubon comes back…

…will she even come back?

His mind, well accustomed to consider every possibility, reminds him of the fact that people died in that pool building. Then again, assuming it was indeed Xylia Pheme who killed Colton Davin on that Saturday night, there is no reason to believe she would do the same to Ubon. Furthermore, he still does not know what happened to Inacio, or to Xylia Pheme herself.

John stands alone at the top of the stairs, but any immediate threat to his person could only come from one of two directions: behind a locked door, and downstairs. He would say he is in a safe position. On the other hand, he and Prushka allowed Ubon to go on her own. To a building that, as far as he knows, is empty. Was that really a prudent idea? On the other hand, would any potential enemy act against Ubon while there is still light outside and the faculty is still around?

Something like a grunt escapes John’s mouth. He pushes an ear against the locked door, to check whether he can hear anything on the other side. Unless he catches a most attention-grabbing sound, however, the most suitable course of action would be to take off after Ubon Sĕeklêun.

Peace and quiet is an impossible dream, after all.

Hisa Momoi

“Take care.” I nodded curtly as Alex left. Couldn’t say that I was exactly satisfied with the results - while she might end up being a bit more careful, that’s only going to be about how she conceals her actions from us. That alone hardly prevents her from snooping around where she shouldn’t and dealing with shady people whom she likely shouldn’t even approach as an ordinary human.

Well, something for some other time, or maybe for someone else to take care of.

“She’s a reporter. There’s always at least a dozen things that stink about them, their methods and anything related to them,” I said with a wry smile, “Wouldn’t you know that perfectly well as an actress?”

With Alex gone, my gaze shifted to Rachel once more.

“Well,” I said as I looked around, “I wouldn’t mind somewhere more private and cozy than this hallway.”

Even if it was a conversation about something completely normal and trivial it still probably wasn’t the best place.

“If you just need someone to stand in for a couple of minutes, I could ask my friend. She stayed in the car since she is...ehm, not interested in books,” I explained with a smile, “It’s the kind of job she normally does for a living, so I’m sure she wouldn’t mind.”

Of course, this must have all sounded absurd to Pyry and Mercedes, as there was no one else coming with us in the car, but I could only hope that they wouldn’t make a comment about it and just go along with the plan.

This friend in question was yet to be materialized, after all.

“If your uncle asks, we can just say that you were kind enough to show some guests around.”

“Should I ask her?” I said as I gestured towards the door with my head.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"Oh? Liketh this?"

Honestly, in a way, the sight of Tris holding that massive sword last night had already faded into a memory more akin to a dream that Colt had seen.

Perhaps that was why the sudden action that followed the blonde girl's words caught him off-guard once again.

Saying what she said like she was about to show her ability to whistle really loudly, Tris walked over to the workbench, a massive metal thing topped with various tools of Frauke (as well as her dinner) and caught it with her hands. Then, letting out a grunt of exertion, she tightened her grip and pushed - first with her feet and then with her arms. There was a loud groaning sound as the huge bench started rising from the air. First just a couple of centimeters, then a noticeable amount, and finally...

--- She lifted it above her head, all the while beaming proudly and with few drops of sweat on her forehead.

"Art this enough?" Tris asked, like a puppy expecting compliments from Colt. "As thou can see'eth, this art naught but child's play for a knightess such as myself!"

As for Frauke, who had been watching all this transpire?

She manually closer her jaw with her hand, as it had stuck open once the blonde girl had started lifting.

"W-wunderbar! For a demihuman your strength is quite something! Definitely something you wouldn't see every day!" Frauke commented as she caught the locket that fell from the workbench dangling in the air. "Now, as for this little thing of beauty here, werfen wir einen Blick..."

From the looks of it, the short woman wasn't even hiding her supernatural nature anymore. She extended her bright red hand, which was definitely not a glove, and one of the fingers opened up with a metallic click. At the same time, a folded up lens extended from it and rounded itself up, becoming a loupe that she used to inspect the locket. With a steady hand, she turned the the thing around, muttering something in her native language every once in a while. After uttering some sort of command word "Fehu - ᚠ!" the lens of the loupe changed colour to a bright golden one.

A minute passed by, with Tris still holding up the workbench in a slightly awkward manner.

"Well well! I don't know how you got your hands on an Orloj Original, but it certainly proves your credentials," Frauka laughed and gently threw the locket back to Colt, while also putting her loupe aside. "Meaning you can put that down Fraulein --- Carefully! I still want to finish my food."

Tris, who had been about to just slam the whole workbench down, smiled sheepishly and gently put the furniture down.

Frauke, on the other hand, folded her arms across her chest and directed that shark-like grin straight at Colt.

"Now then, mein Herr... what sort of pest eradicator are you looking for exactly? On a scale of 1 to Blitzkrieg?"

It was almost as if she was getting excited.

Elaine Winters

"Coming~"

The female voice that answered the knock came from somewhere deep inside the house. And that wasn't the only thing. Along that distinctly feminine voice came the sound of tiny neighing - a lot of it - and the clippity-clopping of little hooves, as if a herd of miniature horses had fled into a closet, away from the sudden noise at the entrance. After this sound had disappeared, it was replaced by the telltale noise of footfalls approaching the door. Kean, who had been standing next to Elaine and 17 while waiting for the owner of the house to let them in, shot a look at his blonde friend.

A look that pretty much asked: "What the heck are we dealing with, here?"

Their answer came soon enough.

The door swung open carelessly, and from the inside wafted out a wave of smells. A mixture of ancient and modern medicine mixed into a concoction that was almost like condensed smell of "hospital" itself blew over the trio, and 17 even pinched her nose. The antiseptic was especially strong in the air, along with a much-telling smell of ozone - a smell that only those of the Turnside would be able to recognize reliably and pinpoint as sign of magic having been performed here.

And what of the woman who stood in the doorway?

It was hard to say how old she was. After all, she was the type that looked both young and old, and the fact that her eyes were sleepy and bleary didn't help the matter. She was dressed vaguely like a doctor, and the white labcoat she had was almost stereotypical... but then there were the vials of some unknown liquid strapped to her clothes, like she had been an alchemist. Her bedhair seemed to have a mind of its own, and while there was wind it definitely wasn't strong enough to buffet her hair like that, making it flow like she had been in a very weird shampoo commercial.

... And lastly, her hands were hidden.

Hidden by big, over-sized sleeves.

To the point it was obvious she didn't want them to be seen.

This whole woman reeked of something suspicious!

It was hard to even say if she was actually a human in the first place...?

"Oof, that's a biggie. It's gonna cost you a pretty penny, dear," the woman said, her oddly nasally voice piercing the air while she looked straight into Elaine's eyes. "And even then I can't promise the treatment is gonna work. You know how it is, three-out-of-seven cases..."

She left the words vaguely hanging in the air, waving one of her oversized sleeves before glancing at Kean.

"--- We're not a auto shop, honey. You'd best be looking for a treatment elsewhere."

Oh yes.

This had to be her. The person that Johanna had talked about...

New Being Met!

Prushka

Both Miss Leuzinger and Miss Costa glanced at each other, clearly confused as to what Prushka was talking about... until the penny seemed to drop, and they both reacted with an awkward chuckle of sorts. Well, Suzana Costa did. For Ronja Leuzinger it was more akin to a slightly amused hum, followed by her eyebrows settling to their usual semi-frown.

"We're hardly discussing such topics, Miss Prushka," Ronja gently-yet-sternly admonished the small girl. "Even to Miss Costa over there, it's more akin to a game than anything else. She's the type to let off steam by acting out her stereotypical cliches regarding what sort of teachers an interesting school should have. She's the type to fill her head with such things after watching far too many daytime soaps."

Suzana snorted grumpily and leaned back in her chair, glaring at her colleague with folded arms.

"Ex-cuse me. I hardly watch that sort of stuff! Shouko was the one who was always gung-ho about acting out stereotypes to make the lives of others interesting," the blue-haired teacher replied, before sighing a little. "A-ny-ways, I'm doing it for others - not for myself! If I need to let off steam, I'll just focus on my hobbies."

Ronja rolled her eyes.

"Yes yes, that's what you always say..."

It was almost like every interaction between these two was verbal arm-wrestling of sorts.

"Well, there you have it, Miss Prushka. Neither of us is planning on illicit trysts with our own students, or any other scandalous things such as that. Even if one of us is an idiot enough to do so," Miss Leuzinger continued, dodging a dryboard eraser that was thrown at her head. "Thus, setting that aside, you had something you came over to ask, right?"

A hint of a smile on her face, as if she was glad that a student had come with their problems to the teachers instead of mulling it over themselves, Ronja sat down on her chair. Even Suzana, though she still looked grumpy, leaned in a bit forward on her own desk.

"Well, how can we help you, then?"

John Dove
    Phase: Evening Phase (THU)

With the second floor being as silent as ever, John Dove had eventually wandered off to look for Ubon while Prushka remained at the faculty office.

Of course, he didn't need to look for long.

The girl hadn't disappeared anywhere, nor had anything happened to her own her little trip to the pool building. She was right there, not far from the main building, having apparently finished her task and then headed back - proof of which was the key she grasped with her fingers.

However, at the same time... she hadn't yet returned. No, she instead stood there, in the middle of the campus grounds, near the fountain at the center of it. From there, one had the best view of the sports field and the forest beyond it, and the sea and the town further than that, and eventually the two mountains and the woods that must have continued for eternity beyond those. Here, at Pinefall, it must have been the spot with the best view if one did not climb to the roof of some building.

And that's why Ubon had stopped.

She simply stood there, gazing at the world that had been dyed by the setting sun, throwing its golden cascade of light over the peaks of the buildings behind her, creating a play of light like wildfire that danced in the scenery before her eyes.

One hand on her hair, like she had been in the middle of combing through it but forgot what she was doing. Another hand against her side, holding the key. Mouth shut, not speaking as usual of this and that without an end. And in her eyes...?

Yes, what was that emotion in her eyes?

It was hard for even John Dove to say.

Though if he had to liken it to something, it must have been...

--- Homesickness.

Though even that was just an approximation.

Hisa Momoi
    [BGM]

In the end, while Rachel was thankful for the suggestion, she said that she couldn't just have some person she didn't know man the reception. Indeed, it made sense, since there were lot of things behind that desk that weren't for customers to see. However, the willingness of the group to help didn't go unappreciated by the older girl, and she promised that she'd be down to the library shortly - the moment she had gotten someone from the staff to fill in for her.

And that was why, now, the group of Hisa, Pyry, Mercedes and Gradient were standing at the entrance of the library in the basement floor, staring at the rows upon rows of shelves full of the strangest books, stacked and shelved in a manner that didn't seem to have any logic. Pyry even pulled out two books at random from the same shelf, and ended up with a Guide to Atlantic Fishing and Raubgold - The Mystery of the Vanished Nazi Gold. The face of the boy told what he thought about such chaos in a library. In other words, he would have been confused even in a normal library but here...? Here he was completely out of his element.

"Muuuu~!"

Gradient, on the other hand, seemed rather excited and wandered between the shelves, curiously peeking at the spines of various books and journals sticking out. However, she still made an effort to stay within Hisa's line of sight and not disappear completely into the sea of literature that had been presented to them.

"So, uh... what do you want to look for, first?" Pyry asked, scratching his head and turning towards Hisa. "Looks like it's gonna take a while to comb for anything specific, so... so... uhhhh..."

His eyes turned towards Mercedes, who stood a bit aways from Hisa.

"... What are you doing?" the boy asked, cocking an eyebrow at the actress.

The starlet stayed quiet, instead bouncing slightly on her heels as if she was feeling the ground. She rocked back and forth, from left to right, reminiscent of a flag pole slowly swaying in the wind. Then she spread her arms to the sides and took three well-measured, careful steps forward. A frown appeared on her face after she had done so, and she turned around, repeating the steps and ending up back where she had come from. Then the girl knelt to the floor and put her hand on the wooden surface, chewing on her lip absentmindedly.

"Errr, West? Mercedes? What's going on?" Pyry continued, looking a bit worried. "Got something stuck in your shoe?"

The actress snorted and rolled her eyes.

"Ugh, please. As if. That's not it. It's just that, like..." she searched for the right words, before standing back up again, looking at Hisa. "You read a lot, Hisa? Like, books about mysteries and such? Christie, Doyle, whatevah?"

She frowned again, staring at the floor beneath her feet.

"... Ever heard of, like, a set of rules regarding that? And the third rule specifically?"

Now what was this about?

Anna Vandemeel

As it turned out, Ramia agreed whole-heartedly that waking up to find a corpse of a classmate was something she didn't want to experience. Thus, the two girls ventured back inside after their little pow-wow, Ramia suggesting that they should scan the area where the boy was first before deciding how they should act, and what their plan of action should be. The dusky-skinned mercenary did seem a bit suspicious about this whole thing still (especially when Anna had mentioned the possibility of their classmates getting hurt), but that was perhaps to be expected. The whole thing had been thrust on her lap rather quickly.

So, having passed by the reception where the redheaded clerk was arguing with what looked like the owner of the hotel, the two girls made their way towards the dining hall, where the sounds and smells of dinner emanated from quite clearly... and judging by the rumbling of Ramia's stomach, she had noticed it too.

Still, instead of grabbing a table and sitting down to eat during this "steak-out" portion of their plan, the girl agreed to hang back a little, and survey the situation from the entrance of the hall first.

--- Minato Coastrise was easily spotted, thanks to his hair.

As Söörik had told Anna, the boy was in the middle of eating chocolate-and-vanilla pudding... his third one, from the looks of it And he was going through it with quite the pace, with a look of a man who had never tasted something so delicious. Once again he was dressed in his civilian garb, and looking at him like this, it was sort of hard to believe this was the same young man who had attacked her in the previous iteration of the week... to a point at least. Gone was the cursed-looking sword or the ancient style of armor, not even mentioning the expression of sorrowful rage, marred by revenge. Instead he looked almost like a normal, if a bit grumpy and emo, teen.

But appearances could always be deceiving.

"So that's the guy, huh...?" Ramia asked with a quiet voice, acting like she was very interested in today's menu that was shown on the wall. "Doesn't seem to be armed, though that hoodie can definitely hide a weapon or two. What if we... wait. Hold the phone. Seven o'clock."

The mercenary's eyes narrowed.

"Another familiar face."

And indeed, following Ramia's lead, Anna could see that a table not far from where Minato was had another person that she could recognize... a blonde hair, thick coat and mannerisms of a handsome prince rather than a young girl. In other words, Alex Terrot was present, and she seemed to be hard at work. Her pen was practically flying on the pages of her notepad as she was talking with the other person at her table.

The other person who...

... Honestly looked the most suspicious person in the room by her clothes alone.

New Person Met!

Elise Pelltier
    Weather: Unknown
    [BGM]

How strange.

Everything had went as it was supposed to.

Elise had exerted her strength and delivered a shift kick to the door, enough to break the door and make it fly open, ensuring that they would get inside. However, for some reason, the door hadn't broken. It had just slammed open like it hadn't been unlocked - no, like it had been ajar - and the momentum of Elise's kick had carried her inside. Hadn't Souma said it was locked? Had he been lying? Or did the door just bizarrelly give up before Elise's show of strength? Well, whatever the case, Elise had tumbled through the door a bit ungracefully and now found herself in the room beyond.

... Whatever this place was.

Soothing, chill music quietly flowed through the space that could only be called a high-class bar from some city or another. Behind herself, Elise saw a flight of stairs adorned by neon lights, leading up to an odd-looking door that was somewhere between purple and blue... no, it was impossible to say what that colour was. One might have as well said it was ultraviolet. Before her, to the right, she could see an array of neatly set tables, each situated so that the patrons would get maximum amount of privacy if they so wanted. The wall to the right was lined with comfortable looking leather couches, along with a grand aquarium that ran across the whole length of the wall, impossible fish swimming to and fro and staring with curious eyes at those inside. And as for the left side, well...

There was a bar counter.

And a grand shelf filled to the brim with expensive looking alcohol.

And chairs to sit down, ones that looked rather inviting.

And behind that counter, logically, a bartender.

--- A young woman, perhaps a bit older than Elise, with stars in her eyes.

"Oh. My."

The bartender spoke to her with a quiet, soothing voice that could have fit a jazz singer.

And she didn't seem at all perturbed by the explosive entry of Elise, and how she had apparently tumbled down the small flight of stairs straight onto the floor.

If anything, she handled it with professional ease and simply bowed her head to her direction a little, and set aside the wine glass she had been drying.

"Welcome to Bar Noumenon, dear customer. Please. Have a seat, sit down, and relax," the woman continued, nimbly procuring a cocktail glass from under the counter. "Now, what would you like to drink?"

Her smile was mysterious.

"Our collection is vast and my skills are extensive."

New Being Met!

Elaine Winters

Hm.

Yes.

This is definitely a shady person, without a doubt.

Blinking back tears from my watering eyes, I coughed delicately, trying to waft the miasma that'd crawled out of this woman's house like some sort of living being away from my sensitive nose, blinking heavily as I did so.

Well, she was either an expert in these sorts of things, a conclusion aided by the shifting, off-feeling scent of what I could only describe as 'wizard stank'.

Or just a complete and total conman, conwoman? Conperson, there we go.

After I'd finished gathering my thoughts, I answered her question with a brittle-feeling smile, "Ah, no, the symptoms are extremely close, but the disease itself is a bit, different in the way it was transmitted. So I'm not here looking for a cure at the moment, I'm afraid."

It would have be the latest in a long line.

Though I could not help but feel the familiar leaping sensation in my gut, something like hope, which I gently laid back in its bed.

It was a poisoned apple that I had bitten too many times.

I dipped my head deliberately for a moment, speaking professionally, "Doctor Canseliet, my name is Elaine Winters, here with my partner, Mr. Kean Loinnir, and I'm actually here for a look over of my young friend here," I shuffled slightly to the side, bringing the leg 'Stephanie' was clinging to forward.

"I was referred here by a good friend of mine, Deputy Cliff, after asking her for a expert in the area who I could ask for a consultation."

I neglected to mention the tiny horse noises I'd heard from the interior, or the (alcoholic?) ferret in the back of the car.

First things first, after all.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Ronja
    "We're hardly discussing such topics, Miss Prushka."
    "Aw... no racy gossip, huh..."

As expected of adults! Even something outrageous isn't enough to throw them off. Compared to our kiddie spats, these two are operating on a higher level entirely. Even while they're arguing, they can cooperate seamlessly. They must be great friends. Or maybe seasoned rivals that steer each other back on course?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronja
    "Thus, setting that aside, you had something you came over to ask, right? Well, how can we help you, then?"
    Oh, right, that.

Ms. Leuzinger seems eager to help. It's plain to see on her face. Unlike Ms. Costa's grumpiness, this is the sort of eagerness that nobody would bother faking.

That's why it's a little disappointing to not be able to give that eagerness a suitable monster to slay.

"Um, sorry, Ms. Leuzinger. It's nothing important like that. This isn't a homework or school thing. I actually just wanted to ask about, well, you all."

I raise my hand and gesture to the two women, who are foreign to Road's End just like the students.

"The townsfolk are one thing, but we're all gonna be spending every day in the same building for the rest of the year. I was expecting a big meet and greet or assembly for everyone to introduce themselves, but we only got one for the class. Does this 'school' institution not really do that for teachers and staff...?"

In most of the high school-centered books and shows I've watched, teachers and the like don't often show up, except to act as obstacles for budding teenage romance or drama. But that's silly, right? We can't actually be expected to learn from people we don't even know, right?

"So yeah, that's basically it! Who are the people behind the names I'm going to be learning from? How did Mr. Oceandrop manage to bring you here to drag Pinefall back from the dead? Do you two go way back or something?"

Perhaps it's a bit dumb that this wasn't asked earlier. Then again, last week I couldn't even recall a single one of the teachers' names, much less care about them. But now...

How did these two become frenemies?

Why did everyone here agree to come to Road's End?

Who actually are these people?

I'm dying to know. Hopefully not for real though.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

"Art this enough?"

“Y’know, Tris…” The sight was something to behold. Even though he had asked Tris to do it, and he wouldn’t have done so without thinking it was a possibility that she could do it, it still felt like witnessing the impossible. “I might get skeptical ‘bout some of the things you tell me, but I’ll never cast so much as a shadow of a doubt towards how frikkin’ strong you are.”

"W-wunderbar! For a demihuman your strength is quite something! Definitely something you wouldn't see every day! Now, as for this little thing of beauty here, werfen wir einen Blick..."

Colt’s eyebrow shot up at the ‘demihuman’ comment, but since he was currently trying to pass for someone at least slightly in the know, he kept his curiosity in. Instead he waited patiently and silently for Frauke’s appraisal. Which proved to be at least half a labor, as his eyes widened a bit as her fingertips popped open with a click.

"Well well! I don't know how you got your hands on an Orloj Original, but it certainly proves your credentials. Meaning you can put that down Fraulein --- Carefully! I still want to finish my food."

Colt caught his locket, breathing a small sigh of relief.

"Now then, mein Herr... what sort of pest eradicator are you looking for exactly? On a scale of 1 to Blitzkrieg?"

“I got pests that could rain on the sunniest of days, the worst of which is a mosquito about…” Colt lifted his hand above his head, holding it flat at roughly the height Hawthorne stood at. “This tall, with big shiny fangs.”

Thinking about it, he sure hoped the German and the unlovable gunslinger weren’t acquainted, and if they were he hoped not on friendly terms.

“Aside from that, I need .45. And let’s see, how about…” He brought a hand up to his chin. Rubbing it as if in deep contemplation, the right corner of his lips slowly hooked up into a half-smirk. “Blitzkrieg.”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

After the failed phone call attempt, Aleen decided to take my hiking suggestion. While the trip could’ve been done faster if I was by myself. It would’ve been quiet and just been used for more planning for the upcoming events. With that in mind, it would’ve been more frustrating and unrelaxing compared to the casual chatting I was having now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen
    "Bah... you know, this forest could use some booming logging industry, right? Get some technology in here, cut down proper paths at least, instead of these -goddammit!- root-covered ant paths that are totes tripping you up all the time!"
    “I don’t know there’s this sense of adventure when you aren’t going through a fully developed path in my opinion. Granted, I’m not exactly fond of completely untouched paths that would require a machete or something to walk through.”

Actually, the worst experience is when you have to avoid leaving traces of your hike into the woods. Usually that meant sabotaging an active system partially without the owner’s realizing it instead of outright sabotage or demolishing it. Had to do that to a Warsaw Pact tank factory… in the mountains. At the time, I remember wishing that command assigned that mission to a fire elemental ESPer specialist or a winter specialist instead of us. Sure, the mission was done successfully without being detected, but I can always grumble about it privately.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen
    "I hope the overlook isn't far away... I'd love to rest my legs. Plus it's got an actually amazing view! O-or so I've heard!"
    “An overlook...”

I vaguely went over in my head of my pre-school time research on Road’s End. Right, there was such a place in front of us wasn't there. I didn't see it as particularly useful except as a landmark of the area.

“Well I guess they had to make a place to rest somewhere. Might as well make the place nice? Might even be a good spot to take someone to see a sunrise or see the stars...”

Despite my casual talk, I was still slightly on my guard. People have gone missing somehow in these woods despite being locals or relatively familiar with the area. Which was highly suspicious… The history of the town and the local stories didn't do anything to make this forest more inviting to me. Add on the events from last week, and that made completely relaxing here impossible. So far it has meant anything… until now.

“...Fresh footprints?” I ended up stopping briefly to study the tracks better before continuing my muttering, “Taller male… Shoes not particularly suited for hiking… Carrying a large, heavy weight on one side.”

These tracks were weird and thus worth being cautious until it was proven to be nothing. It was times like this that I wish I could discreetly wear my restored 410th armor like the previously degraded repaired version I had last week.

“Hey Aleen, how often do people come out to this lookout? Or well… Do you know anyone who is male, tall, goes out into the woods without suitable shoes, and has a tendency to carry something big? Because they’re presumably somewhere at the Overlook in front of us.”

If Aleen happens to know someone who can fit the bill, then that’s great. If she doesn’t then… It might be for the best that we return to town before we get inadvertently involved in something potentially Turnside related. I refuse to allow someone get hurt by the Turnside especially if it’s someone like Aleen.

"If not... I think we should at least be a little more cautious about up ahead."

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar

Adelaide smirks at Liana's pun, visibly quite amused. Wherever it's at how 'silly' the Knightess' pun was or the awkward reaction it got out of everyone present, including the cat... one could only guess.

"My, my, a very sharp sense of humor indeed! Words that cut as well as a blade -- perhaps that her tenacity will be more of a thorne in your side than you expected, my good sir... but then it could be possible that you are the kind that like your ladies tenacious and spirited? The type that prefers prickly roses to soft and frail orchids..."

She was rather quick to jump onto the train of bad puns, though this one was possibly a little bit more aimed than the self-depreciating joke from earlier... of course, she was just enjoying the discourse -- merely nodding and being a passive spectator would be no fun after all! Socializing as a high-class citizen is often rare after all... which is why one would relish at such an opportunity for words and laughter to flow!

"At any rate, I am sure that Mister Hawthorne here has you two lovely ladies to steer him on to the right path should he stray too much. Remember to spoil him a bit though, perhaps buy some more cigars and cigarettes for him! Though of course, do watch his dose. Inhaling smoke all the time can't be good for someone's longevity."

Smoking is not very healthy. One can't imagine how much it'd hurt someone's lungs; also how many lighters or matchsticks one would have to purchase to keep their cigarettes and cigars lit up...

Quote Originally Posted by Butler
    "Nevertheless, should we keep going? There's still much to do in the day. Unless of course, you have something more you wish to discuss."
    "Oh, there is the matter of visiting the place yes."

A realization that had dawned on her -- indeed, while she would love to spend the entire evening chatting with her new-made friends here, they did come to visit the club in the first place. Clasping her hands, she gives a little bow to the trio in front of her, as to thank them for entertaining her.

"Well then, we shall move on I suppose. Do have a great day, unless our knightess here would do us the pleasures of giving us a tour of the establishment?"

She was a member of the establishment after all, no? At least, judging from what Hawthorne had said... and how she had acted like... yes, that is what Adelaide Chesire would believe. Not Vivienne Bianchi, but then there was no Vivienne Bianchi here...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

As usual, the Owl’s Nest smelled of dust, aged wood, and old cigar smoke, even as they passed through the reception area without a word. From the looks of it, neither Rachel nor the old man she was loudly arguing with, the owner of the hotel if Anna had to hazard a guess, barely even recognized their presence.

That was, of course, another tangle she had to unwind at some point. Now that she was more acutely aware of them, she could make out the edges of the wards interwoven into the walls of this place. Not aimed at her in particular, the spiritual component was too large for that, but…

…they still made her skin mildly itch.

"Another familiar face."
    Tsk…”

Her tongue clicked in exasperation. The Coastrise kid was there alright, wolfing down what seemed to be his third or fourth pudding like a man possessed, but the company… Alex Terriot and a figure she’d never seen before. In principle, she didn’t mind the blonde. She was rather reclusive in her own way, something that the Estonian girl for her part, could respect.

However, she did give Anna the impression of a woman possessed by her hunt for the “truth”. Calling it a mere “reporter’s curiosity” wouldn’t be doing justice at this point.

She could see that much from the manic light in her eyes as she jotted down notes from her “interview”. It reminded her of those that had been “touched” by the Turnside. People who, for some reason or another, had skirted close enough to catch a glimpse of the Other Side. That glimpse often turned into an obsession for them. Ufo-catchers, ghost hunters, people blathering on about random possession cases – while more often it was just plain delusion, at times there was a nugget of truth behind their manic drive.

At times they broke through the façade, the layer of illusion that hid the supernatural. For better or worse. That was how most Rosicrucian sects and cabals had gotten their start, after all. Most of the time though, they either found nothing…

…or ended up dead because they stepped on someone’s tail in their obliviousness.

“Do you know the girl she’s talking to? I haven’t seen her around before… Which is a feat in itself, considering her dress code.”

A bizarre mixture of different colors and anachronistic clothing choices, with absolutely zero effort to blend in with anything or anyone. A white jacket reminiscent of a lab coat, but far too small for any practical purpose was draped over what could only be described as a… v-neck sweater with some kind of traditional motif? And this was coupled with some kind of hideous amalgamation of sneakers and platform shoes and topped up with a mismatched pair of stockings?

Actually, I’m surprised she can even stand upright with those bloody things.

And was that a… bindi on her forehead? Was she already married? Well, it could have been used as a representation of anja chakra in order to open your Third Eye in Hinduistic foundations, but still…

Hisa Momoi

Uh…

I watched Mercedes with a puzzled expression as I tilted my head slightly.

Maybe some sort of a ritual?

Maybe she’s gone crazy?

Those were the thoughts that came to mind first, but of course, I knew that she had a proper, good reason for it. In fact, just thinking about it for a moment, it almost looked as if she was…

“Wouldn’t be able to say off the top of my head,” I said as I tilted my head in the other direction, “But I could only guess that you’re looking for something hidden, aren’t you?”

Does she do this at every new place she goes to?

My gaze wandered off towards the rows of shelves packed with books and further than that, the other end of the room.

“Well, we can check real fast if this makes any sense.”

The bluish glint in my eye lit up once more as I turned back towards the entrance, reaching out towards the wall with my hand. A few taps, and the supernatural sonar was set into motion.

With the size of the room, it didn’t take more than a few seconds for the waves to return, but before giving them too much thought, I took a moment to look around the room as well, scanning the dark, cold walls with my eyes.

“Hmm…”

It was probably exactly what was to be expected.

“It’s only the hallway from where we came from, and what I assume to be an employers-only room that Rachel mentioned.”

A room that looked nothing interesting at all save for one peculiar detail being the safe at the very end of it...but what exactly could have been in it, I didn’t even really want to think about.

“Nothing else I can see past that.”

While the range of my sight was limited, if there was something else connected to this room, I would have noticed a tunnel or a passage or something at least.

“Still, I guess you are right, the room is a bit off,” I continued as I glanced back at Mercedes, “The floor has sunk towards the opposite end, if just slightly. Not sure if it means anything, though.”

I blinked a few times, lamenting over the now very obvious slanted nature of the room.

“It could just be completely natural, the result of the house being old and certain environmental effects.”

I smirked.

It was almost amusing how the roles seemed to have switched places, if just for these few moments.

“Of course, it would be weird of me to instantly rule out the possibility of something else being the cause, so...perhaps it deserves a more thorough look.”

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Let us not calling it a sigh. It is a long exhalation that came out of John’s mouth. It is good, after all, that nothing bad happened to Ubon. However, the fact remains that something stopped her from returning right away. She has been held still by something that exists only in her mind.

What are those eyes looking at? What are they looking for? Is her mind telling her that something is lacking, or that something is missing? Humans are never satisfied, so she will have a rather unhappy life if she spends it longing for something always afar.

Of course, expecting empathy from this young man is an exercise in pointlessness.

“Nobody can see the world you see,” he starts when he is close enough for Ubon to hear him. “Just like you cannot see the world as anybody else does. I still do not know whether this is a good or a bad thing.”

Standing by her, his eyes follow hers and take in the entirety of the region stretching beyond the boundary of the school. Of course, he only sees a grey forest, a grey sea and a grey town, and past that grey mountains and an ocean of grey trees.

“What I know, is that this is the reason humans need to communicate, to share things with each other. Even with the enviable ability to feel what the other does, it is not enough. Your thoughts and your feelings cannot change anything or anybody, not even yourself. They cannot do anything unless you express them, right?”

With that, he turns to wholly and properly face the girl.

“You already know what kind of person I am. If I remember correctly, you called me a ‘monster’, so I would not be so crass as to suggest you open your heart to me. However, there are a whole bunch of people around here who are willing to listen, and to make an effort for your sake, for whatever reason. There are people out there who can make you smile. Who can make you happy, despite whatever it is you or them are missing or lacking.”

Whether they do it because they are truly good people, or because they have some ulterior motive, is of no relevance for the purpose of the benefit upon Ubon Sĕeklêun. John Dove is the kind of unaware cynic who reaches such a conclusion.

“Whatever it is that you want, you will not get it by standing here longing for it,” he finishes, gesturing with his thumb over his shoulder towards the main school building. “Let’s get going, before that brat we left behind gets in trouble with the teachers.”

Blog Entries
    Elaine Winters
    [BGM]

Dorothy craned her neck and tilted her head, looking at Elaine with an odd stare that almost made her right eye seem bigger than her left eye. There was something instinctively non-human in that gesture, one that made Kean frown as she watched the odd mannerisms of the supposed doctor.

"Well of course it's not the same? There's a difference between a bacterial infection and a transplant rejection, though in your case it's a problem of metaphysical transplant, not a natural one. A failed attempt at a pseudo-aposthesis, perhaps? Would need to give it a closer look, dear, but if that's what you decide, then that's what you decide. Now let's look at the actual patient here..." the strange woman spoke, turning her owlish stare towards 17, who immediately took a cautious step back, like she was ready to bolt. ""Hmm, an actual human? I don't really with those... the problems tend to be boring. Though..."

A creepy smile rose to her face and she reached out, patting 17 on the head... or at least attempting to. The girl was like a cat that didn't want to be touched, lowering her stance like she was in a limbo competition and thus making the well-educated hand paw at the empty air.

"--- Seems weird enough for me. Follow me~"

With that, the woman spun around on her heels and marched back into the house, leaving the door open behind her. Kean looked at Elaine with a cocked eyebrow, but the only response he could offer was a shrug before following the woman into the building. They had come this far, chickening out now would have made this all for nothing.

The interior of the house was as unassuming as the exterior... as long as one didn't stare too long. The living room was a mess, with open, half-read books scattered everywhere... though upon closer look, they were all written in different languages, or so it seemed. The plants growing on the window sill were beautiful, but they lacked any planters and instead had dirt piled straight on top of the wooden sill, with the roots digging straight through it. Old television set was open, showing some 80's Saturday morning cartoon about fantasy lands and cute dragons, but for some reason they seemed to stop what they were doing and just stare at the trio as they followed after the doctor through the living room. Also, there was a a squirrel lounging in a tiny hammock it had made amidst the curtains.

"My clinic's this way~" Doctor Canseliet said, waving her sleeves as she headed towards stairs leading down. "It's on the other side of my little garage barricade. And watch where you step. Those mushrooms just took the right shape~"

Indeed.

For some reason there was a circle of mushrooms growing out of the wooden floor in the kitchen to the right from the living room.

Kean took one look at the thing, glanced back to Elaine, and mouthed:

"What the hell...?"

Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "So yeah, that's basically it! Who are the people behind the names I'm going to be learning from? How did Mr. Oceandrop manage to bring you here to drag Pinefall back from the dead? Do you two go way back or something?"
    Both Ronja and Suzana glanced at each other, clearly somewhat taken by surprise by Prushka's interest in them. Maybe the teachers had expected to just hang in the background for the year, letting the students do their own thing, or perhaps they had not expected someone to show interest in them this early? Whatever the case, it took them a moment to form an answer of sorts. Meaning that Ronja Leuzinger made a small gesture before she turned her attention back to Prushka, and Suzana Cost rose up from her chair and headed for the coffee-maker to brew something to drink while they talked.

"W-well... that's a bit of a long story. Let's see now... I myself am, as my name suggests, from Switzerland. I studied back in University of Lausanne, before moving to the university hospital in the same city. Centre hospitalier universitaire vaudois, that is. I've also worked with U.N. peacekeepers and the Red Cross for a time, traveling around the whole and helping out in different conflicts wherever I could," Ronja explained, a slightly distant look appearing in her eyes. "Angola, Mozambique, all sorts of places........ even Rwanda."

Uttering the last name, a some sort of internal shiver seemed to pass through the woman, as if she had remembered something she had much rather forgotten, yet would never be able to.

Perhaps sensing this, Suzana Costa took over the conversation.

"Meanwhile I grew up in São Paulo and earned my PhD in the Universidade de São Paulo - as is fitting! Back in the day, my thesis touched upon the subject of alienation from society and the mental stress isolation can bring, from physical to mental problems. Guess that's why Mr. Oceandrop noticed me. And there I was, all set to enjoy my life at the lap of luxury, working for the Brazilian government... but ah well. When a mysterious billionaire comes a-knocking, saying he has a job offer for me, what can a curious gal do?"

She chuckled a bit to herself as she started setting the table next to Prushka, putting down a plate of chocolate chip cookies that had appeared from somewhere, along with another batch of cookies with a jam center. At the same time, the delicious smell of coffee had started filling the room.

"So I met up with him Cyprus. Apparently he was working on a... 'project' over there, something he had found in the aftermath of Operation Atilla," Suzana continued. "It was at the same time I ran into a certain stubborn tramp that was on a loan for the UNFICYP that worked there, and well..."

She smirked at Ronja, who glared coldly back at her.

"Rest is history?"