Page 161 of 161 FirstFirst ... 61111151156159160161
Results 3,201 to 3,207 of 3207

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Hisa Momoi
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)
    Weather: Overcast

“What I find more strange is for you to be here,” I said as my eyes bore a hole through Alex’s forehead, “Or should I find the you at the school strange?”

An eyebrow raised, I crossed my arms in front of my chest as I continued.

“Quite efficient to be able to work everything simultaneously like that. Can’t say I’m not impressed, but the coordination could be better.”

Maybe she’ll get it, maybe she won’t. It was hardly any of my business, but the idea of someone shamelessly fooling everyone around themselves with a perfect doppelganger was more than bothersome.

Especially considering how people impersonating others seemed to be a commonplace around here.

My expression softened as I let the matter rest - for now - and changed to a different topic.

“What’s so strange about wanting to check the library, anyways? I heard it is quite the collection, and I love books as much as I like mysteries...something that this town is quite full of.”

Of course, I preferred the kind of mysteries where the lack of time wasn’t so pressing and things didn’t end up with my death, but I didn’t exactly want to mention that right now.

My gaze shifted to Rachel as my lips curled into a small smile.

“Of course, if you are busy, I don’t want to hold you up. Working here must be quite busy, let alone to have time to entertain some random students.”

Tapping my lips with a finger, I pretended to be deep in thought for a moment.

“Though, I might have something interesting to show you in exchange.”
    Last edited by Cheetose; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.

Lost in the Elizabeths Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye & Adelaide Cheshire

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide
    "It would appear that your romantic notions have been repealed for now, Mister Hawthorne. I believe however that she has not closed the door for you however, rather, she would appear to be suggesting that you reconsider your method of entry. Though perhaps... an apology is owned to Miss Sierra before she throws something worst than a cat at you. Still, Miss Liana mentioned something about naming a gun after her -- are you a gunsmith of sorts? Your sense of humor surely is as explosive as gunpowder!"
    Hawthorne, who had been rolling his eyes at Liana's attempts at going on an offensive (and apparently cooking up some sort of retort of his own, if the smug grin reflected on his face was anything to go by) stopped what he was doing and instead focused his attention to the gril addressing him. When he heard the question, the tall man simply snorted, amused for some reason, and shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, I don't know if you can call me that. Nor do I think my sense of humour is that good. If anything, it's worse than usual. That's why I like hanging out with this girl right here - she's the type to appreciate bad jokes," Hawthorne replied, nodding towards Liana with his head. "Besides, little lady has it all wrong here... I mean, I have named some guns, but that's not an usual occurence."

He put his hands to his hips and cast a mildly amused look towards Sierra.

"See, there's only two guns that I've named after women. And even them only because they were modeled after..." He let those words hang in the air for a moment, as if forgetting himself... before laughing and shaking his head. "... Nevermind. That's not really important."

Sierra, who had finally lowered the cat she had been holding (and was now hugging it sternly like she was gonna keep the whole animal, and didn't even realize it) stared at Hawthorne with a suspicious look in her eyes, but eventually relented with a sigh of her own.

She then turned towards the other girls.

"See what I mean? He can be insufferable. We really need someone to knock him down a peg or two, lest he's gonna keep going like that all his life," she said. "And that can lead to nowhere good."

Alex chuckled at that, shielding her mouth with her glove.

"Indeed. Some men certainly need a good woman to guide them."

Having said that, the "butler" turned to look towards her charge, raising an eyebrow at Adelaide.

"See, milady? As you can witness, sometimes appearances can be deceiving. One can find knights in strangest places, and hidden truths just by asking," she said, looking amused as if there was some joke here. "Nevertheless, should we keep going? There's still much to do in the day. Unless of course, you have something more you wish to discuss."

Alex's eyes glanced towards the direction of the trio, ever so slightly narrowed.

"... Or our new acquiantances have."

Prushka & John Dove

Who could be blamed for it more?

Prushka, who had decided to sneak as slowly as she could in order to avoid making undue noise?

Or John, who had leaned in from the second story landing to see what was taking so long, brushing aside a thick layer of dust that had gathered on top of the bannister?

Well, whoever was at fault, the end result was still the same.

Prushka, who had been advancing carefully and quite admirably so far found herself suddenly accosted by a cloud of dust that fell from the second floor. At the same time her nose, which had been opening up and switching to a more sensitive mode thanks to her desire to sniff the emotions of those inside the faculty office, ended up getting a good doze of said dust into it, tickling all the wrong places within her nose. As a natural reaction, this send signals up to Prushka's brains, setting off a chain reaction that eventually culminated in a knee-jerk reaction from her body to expel foreign matter from her nasal passages.

In other words... a sneeze.

And another.

And another.

Six times, like a sneezing cat stuck on a loop, the tiny girl's body was rocked by these sounds, just outside the door to the faculty office.

And inside?

Inside Suzana Costa let out a short little shriek, apparently having been spooked by the sudden loud soud. Meanwhile Ronja Leuzinger clamped her mouth shut and let loose a litany of quite curses... though she calmed down much faster than her colleague. This gave her time to assess the situation. The fact that she, school nurse, was at the faculty office, it was after school and a student with a horrible sneezing problem was trying to come inside...

... Well, she made her own deductions.

"Oh my, bless you, girl," Miss Leuzinger said as she opened the door, revealing Prushka on the other side. "Here you go, paper handkerchief until the worst passes. Come on now, wipe that nose and blow it."

Switching immediately to a professional mode, she school nurse handed Prushka an already opened package of said paper handkerchiefs and then took a step back, giving the girl some room so she could enter.

"I'm sorry I wasn't at my own office. Miss Costa called me here to discuss something dreadfully boring," Ronja Leuzinger continued with a hint of a smirk, ignoring her frowning colleague at the other side of the room. "Now then, what's going on? Allergic reaction? Or are you feeling ill? I know there might be some problem with dust in the dormitory, is it about that?"

While the nurse was talking, she was naturally guiding Prushka towards one of the seats, almost like she had already made this place her office.

... Meanwhile, John Dove was left, standing at the second floor landing, staring at what his hands had (maybe) wrought.

Colt Davin

Frauke Wiolant's eyebrows rose towards her hairline as she heard what Colt had to say. Quickly enough, her eyes glanced towards Tris who, after realizing they were being addressed by the owner of the shop, had blushed brightly and was now awkwardly fiddling her fingers and keeping her eyes to the ground. It was almost like a young kid being presented to a new authority figure, and they didn't know what they should do or say. However, something in the way the blonde girl looked must have convinced Frauke of... something, because just as quickly she nodded, and gestured the two of them to follow her.

Meanwhile she herself spun around on her heels, and marched back towards the workshop proper.

"Jawohl! Well, if it's tools for pest control that you're looking for, then you've certainly come to the right place! Everything I make here is one-hundred percent guaranteed to be perfect for the job! After all I, Frauke Wiolant, make no duds! Nägel mit Köpfen machen, and all that! Wie dem auch sei, of course, as you understand, I cannot just sell these kinder of mine to just anybody. I must make sure that you are fit to wield one of my precious creations. Formalities and all that. So, is there some ID you could show me?"

Again with this question.

Though this time, the reason for it was perhaps a bit more understandable.

As the duo arrived to the workbench and the display case set on the wall, Colt could see the array of various guns vaguely through the frosted (and probably armored) glass. And from what he could see, those guns were far from normal. On the first visit, they had looked almost like model guns, but having seen his fair share of weirdness during the last week, the boy could take an educated guess that most of these weapons... no, probably all of them were "Turnside Weaponry". In other words, weapons meant for the Turnside, and thus they would stay there.

So that was what Frauke was asking.

A proof that he was part of the Turnside.

"O-oh! Thou art a smithy, then?" Tris asked, the other shoe finally dropping for her. "Dost thou maketh weapons here?"

Frauke grinned proudly, fists on her hips and that shark-like sharp grin on full display.

"Wahahaha, natürlich!" She answered, laughing proudly. "That's what Thulewerk is! Custom jobs, repairs, original creations... my shop offers all this and more! And I promise, you won't find a better Waffenladen anywhere in town!"

Well, that sales-pitch sounded somewhat familiar.

Elaine Winters
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THURS)
    [BGM]

Finding the place, in the end, was pretty darn easy.

The instructions that Johanna had given, plus the address scribbled to a post-it note had done wonders in helping Elaine pinpoint the location of the supposed "black clinic" operating somewhere in town... and not only that, but from the looks of it, this house in particular was the only one with any people living in it around this area. It was a patch of residential area just outside the road that would take people up the Blue Tail Peak and eventually to the Owl's Nest Hotel itself. Here, at the root of the so-called mountain, the scenery was far more flat and the forest just seemed to sprout towards the heavens from people's backyards. However, most of the houses seemed empty, with curtains pulled over windows and cars missing from the driveways and garages...

... All except for one.

An unassuming, off-white house built into the hill - one that one could see in just about everywhere in America.

Yes.

As long as one only gave it a cursory glance.

However, if one started staring for any longer, few strange details started popping up. Like the fact that the garage was absolutely filled to the brim with stuff. And just filled, packed. It was like a game of Tetris in there, and there was no way anyone could actually fit in there, much less a car. Then there was the fact that an anatomical study doll, along with a skeleton, had been set into main window that looked out to the street... and the two had been intertwined into a passionate hug and a kiss from the looks of it. Forever stuck in their daring position. And lastly (foro now), but certainly not the least... was that blue smoke coming from the chimney.

"Hoo boy..." Kean muttered as he stepped out of the car, looking around. "Now this seems like a place of a totally sane person.."

His mutterings were not said too loudly, on the off-chance that the good doctor was outside.

When no retort came, the boy turned back towards Elaine and pointed his thumb at the front door.

"You wanna do the honours?"

Elise Pelltier

Setting up the little "trick" was trivial at this point. While the door was in better shape than most of those inside the abandoned part of the dormitory, it was still just a normal door. Once the correct words had been applied, the blade of the small knife would slice through them like butter and let Elise open the door by mere pulling on it slightly hard. That was, indeed, the easy part.

Positioning herself wasn't hard either. With Souma now lounging over at the other side of the small room, leaning against the empty doorframe and folding his hands, he barely saw Elise in the first place. Having set herself so that she would be between Souma's stare and the lock, the brunette had completely minimized the possibility of the boy catching anything of note from what she was doing.

The only problem, of course, was the sound. But that could be taken care of if Souma just started talking, as his words would cover Elise's own.

Though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "This-this might take a minute. Back at the beach, when we first met and you offered to help Ubon and I rescue John, Prushka and Subaru… It sounded like you wanted to say more there, but I, uh, kinda didn't quite, uh, catch it."
    "............ Maybe I did."

Souma's soft, silk-like chuckle filled the room, and that haunting smile spread on his face once more as he looked at the girl with him.

... Yes, therein lay the exact problem.

As if Souma was going to start talking for long enough for Elise to properly mask what she was doing!

If anything, he almost seemed to be enjoying himself right now, teasing the girl by being cryptic.

Hisa Momoi

Alex smiled quietly, looking slightly amused, but that was the extent of her facial expressions.

"I apologize if I've appeared odd. Being here at Road's End is... quite jarring after Paris, so settling in takes some time," she said, letting Hisa's veiled accusations flow around her, never touching, like she had been a steady rock within a stream of water. "As for being here, well, I believe brisk biking after sitting for hours upon end in a classroom is healthy, no?"

There wasn't outright hostility tinting Alex's voice, but it was clear that she didn't appreciate words like these thrown against her face. Maybe it was because she didn't understand what Hisa was implying, or because she coolly denied or, or simply because she didn't want to talk about it... bottom line was, it wasn't making the reporter warm up to the group, at least.

"As for the strangeness of visiting a library... nothing, really?" Alex continued. "What I found strange was your group. You yourself, Mercedes West... Pyry Leijonamieli and... well, I do believe we haven't had the opportunity to introduce ourselves."

Alex's eyes, now flashing with curiosity, had stopped at Gradient who seemed a bit uncomfortable being the center of the attention all of a sudden.

Rachel, on the other hand, returned Hisa's words with a bit of a wry, tired smile.

"Well as you can see, it's really busy right now. But that doesn't mean I can just up and skip outta here. My uncle would tan my hide if he found out I'd left the reception unmanned," the redhead said. "If it's something important though, I can try to get someone to stand in for me for a moment. Unless you think we can talk here?"

Alex, who had been watching Gradient and now this exchange, closed her little notebook and put her pen away, hidin gthem in the pockets of her big jacket.

"I suppose our interview is at an end then, mademoiselle," she said, turning towards Rachel. "I thank you for your time and if anything comes up from the topics we talked about, you know where to find me and how to contact me."

Then, she tipped her invisible hat towards the rest of the group.

"Apologies, but I have another person I need to still see. If you'll excuse me..."

With that, she left towards the dining hall, taking a longer way around the group as if she was clearly trying to get as much distance between herself and Pyry as possible. Mercedes stared after the blonde reporter, and after a moment of awkward silence, she muttered something under her breath.

"... Something, like, stinks."

From the looks of it the actress had realized it too.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Thus came the question that Colt knew was coming but had hoped would get skipped this time. At this point it was obvious that this place, its owner and her employee of the well-endowed hands were part of the Turnside. Frauke wasn’t obeying the rules of the country or the state. She was obeying the rules of her side of the world.

“Law is law, after all.” Colt glanced up at the display case against the wall. Legal identification wouldn’t open the locks keeping that glass in place. It would be a gamble, but from here on out he’d have to get used to taking gambles. “This might do.”

Colt reached into his pocket and pulled out his locket. At this point there was no playing around it, this gift was not from the normal side of the world. If he himself was rooted in the everyday, the mundane, then the old trinket in his hands was a magnet, drawing the strange toward him. A shackle that kept one foot in a world he didn’t belong.

Here he was trying to take more steps into that world.

He placed the locket on the workbench, pointing at the faded symbol beneath all the wear and tear that had made even Pyry turn pale. What it might represent was beyond him, but he knew that it meant something. Maybe that something would be enough to get him the pass.

“Feel free to inspect it, but… don’t hold too tight.” Colt took a step back. “You might lose an arm.”

Then he looked over at Tris. Frauke had given her a strange look earlier. Like she had noticed something. Maybe it was obvious at a glance that the blonde was already part of the abnormal world. Or maybe she was just admiring her abnormal chest. Understandable.

On top of that it felt eerily as though he had been singled out. Like he was being told, ‘you, the outsider, prove you may enter.’

But still.

“Hey Tris,” Colt called the girl’s name and turned back to the workbench. “You’re pretty strong, right? Could you lift that bench on your own?”

Elaine Winters
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THURS)

"Truth be told, for some reason I feel more at ease seeing the home of this person in this way than I would be going to a regular, everyday clinic."

At least the house of a weirdo who wore their weirdness out in the open for people to see felt more honest than the more realistic back alley doctor contributing to the slow death of the underclass via the opioid epidemic.

Granted, the blue smoke (True Lover's Knot, my nose told me) did not exactly put me in the right mindset for a medical professional of the modern day, perhaps if I was poking around the back country during the dark ages, maybe.

Doesn't exactly smell great either, let me tell you. Bleh.

"Besides, I think the doll and the skeleton are cute, even if you probably shouldn't keep a ferret in your car like that. Does it have water?"

It didn't.

It did have a case of Pabst Blue, though, which I felt a distinct longing for in the back of my mind, which slowly grew stronger as I approached the door.

Truly transgressing the boundaries between flesh and bone should be applauded, though.

There was a hoop there, I supposed for some people interested in basketball, though, as I strolled closer, I saw only signs of smallish hoof-prints, like a bunch of tiny horses had gathered for a pick-up game or something.

Hmm.

"Weird prints."

Something about them seemed a bit strange, but I couldn't pick out anything too odd about them besides tiny hoofprints, which admittedly is pretty weird, not gonna lie.

I'd just hang on to that detail and shelve it for later, then.

For now, I shrugged, strolling idly up to the door, hesitated a brief moment, then reached up and knocked on the door.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Liana Skye

"Yes, I suppose a Knightess would be a rather rare thing... But I suppose you could say becoming one was one of my life goals? I grew up on stories of knightly valor after all, my mother was rather old-fashioned in her choice of bedtime stories."

She chuckles.

"As for uniforms... Well, milady is the sort to... How to say, customize the wardrobe? I can wear whatever I like so long as the clothes are of good quality, practical, easy to move in, and thus easy to do my job in... Milady is one that appreciates efficiency over appearances."

A good girl, very practical, being too stuffy with your uniform was asking for trouble, still...

When it came to Hawthorne mentioning that she could appreciate bad jokes, well...

"Of course I can appreciate bad jokes! They're the best kind!"

She giggles again, and...

"Like, do you know why the middle ages were called the dark ages? Because there were too many knights!"

...Ah.

Even Zee, who is but a cat, and is being held snuggly against the body of a smaller human, can't help but look away from his owner in mild disdain at that particular joke...

Or something like that anyway.

Zee is simply a cat after all, it could very well be a simple random chance reaction...

But the smug, almost proud look Liana has for a second after saying it, as if she had been waiting for days to slip something like that into a conversation somewhere, well...

Perhaps the cat has experience with bad jokes.

Nevertheless, she comes to her senses soon after...

Thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra
    "See what I mean? He can be insufferable. We really need someone to knock him down a peg or two, lest he's gonna keep going like that all his life," she said. "And that can lead to nowhere good."
    "Agreed, but don't worry."

She winks at the smaller girl.

"I won't leave town until I do~ We'll figure something out, there are definitely cracks in his armor."

""... Or our new acquaintances have."
    As for this particular... Question as it were, well...

These two were not exactly in her plans for the evening...

"I can't think of anything in particular... Although it was certainly nice speaking with you."

...Well, that wasn't quite true.

She could question why the girl with the familiar art book was here under these circumstances, but her own presence was just as suspicious, so...

Letting it pass for now was probably for the best!
    Spoiler:
    Death is nothing but a disease.
    But it is one that often comes from all sides.
    An end like that is coming, and yet here you are.

Tell me.

Could you kill someone you love for the sake of everyone else?

What a cynical worldview, Messiah.
    Real heroes would find a different answer.

Right, right.
    The power to break through a sad reality—
    I wonder—

Will they be able to show it to me?

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Achoo!"

What the heck just happened? I was sneaking forward all quiet, and then-.

"Achoo!"

Yes, that. Then Ms. Leutzinger opened the door and-.

"Achoo!"

Tissues, where are the tissues?

"Ach-!"

The sneeze that was about to shake my body like a branch is finally halted in its tracks. In its stead is the sound and feeling of a nose being blown, trumpeting through the room.

"Uuu..."

I feel dizzy... to think I'd be foiled by a bit of dust, how humiliating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Leutzinger
    "I'm sorry I wasn't at my own office. Miss Costa called me here to discuss something dreadfully boring. Now then, what's going on? Allergic reaction? Or are you feeling ill? I know there might be some problem with dust in the dormitory, is it about that?"
    "Eh?"

I blink.

Oh, she must think I'm here for something health-related, because she wasn't at her office. What a convenient excuse to drop into my lap like that.

"Oh, no, thank you, I'm fine... achoo-! N-none of my congenital issues have anything to do with sneezing, so it's not a problem - achoo!"

Tissues, tissues, need more tissues.

Pause. Blink away the tears. Wait a few seconds. Gonna sneeze again? No? Good.

"I... I was just passing by and heard someone talking," I finally manage to say, without being interrupted by a sneeze. "So I wanted to ask whoever was in here a few things. And then..."

That excuse may be convenient, but I've no use for a fabrication. Instead, Ms. Leutzinger's misconception should be corrected.

"Achoo-!"

When my eyes and nose finally clear following another round of blowing and wiping, and the blurry figures of two women before me resolve into Suzana Costa and Ronja Leutzinger, I can finally stare them down.

"...y'know, I get that Road's End is in the middle of nowhere so there isn't much choice, and I don't really believe in arbitrary rules about faculty and students not being allowed to mingle. It's why I don't mind the ogling during class. Some of the guys probably even enjoy it. It might be sketchy, but it's not always wrong. Love can bloom even on the battlefield after all. Even between someone young and someone a little less young. But..."

How to best put this?

"You can do better than the boys in our class, can't you?"

Ms. Leutzinger and Ms. Costa are both attractive ladies, and there must be plenty of decent guys in town. Besides, the quality of males in Pinefall is kinda low.

"And having a secret list of all their good and bad points is a bit much... achoo-!"

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Souma Nubata
    "............ Maybe I did."
    Elise sighed harshly as Souma delighted himself in being laconic, cryptic, and definitely not taking the bait. Really, she wasn't sure what else she expected from Souma. She pulled the knife out from between the door and the door frame, sparing the latch bolt from its execution, but condemning the rest of the door in its stead.

"I was hoping I could do this carefully, but I don't think I can pull it off without putting an ugly nick in the blade of your knife," said Elise sadly as she looked over the edge knife one more time, "This knife's been through a lot, and I'd be beside myself if I damaged your knife like this."

Elise took a step away from the door, and offered the knife, handle first, back to Souma.

It'd be nice to be able to get in there without it being super obvious that someone broke their way in there, but, really, one way or the other I was always going to have to break this door, thought Elise as she paid the sturdy old door its last respects, I'm sorry, door, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was going at least a little bit satisfying.

"Heh, you know what they say," said Elise as she raised her foot and prepared to give the door a swift kick under the doorknob, "Always put your best foot forward!"