Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] List of Type-Moon Material

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Bargadiel's Avatar

Guide to Type-Moon

Alot of people new to Type-Moon probably notice the mass amount of documents and material in which most of our information about the nasuverse comes from. So here, I will list what I know about the material/series/franchises that Type-Moon has released, and if there are any errors or additions people can post them here and I'll update it. I would like to thank all of those who contributed to this list, including Mewarmo990 and Cruor. I would also like to add that some of this information was obtained from the Type-Moon Wiki.

"Nasuverse" is a term used to describe the entirety of the Type-Moon universe that Kinoku Nasu; the writer, and Takeshi Takeuchi; character designer, have created. For the most part, unless spoken otherwise, all of these stories exist within this universe and although instances where characters between them meet is scarce, they are allegedly still connected. I chose to organize these series by association within the nasuverse rather than their official creation by Type-Moon, although it certainly won't include every dojin title ever made.

1) List of Main-Nasuverse related stories;
    - These, in addition to the yellow names are considered part of the nasuverse in their own respects.

Kara no Kyoukai
    - Series of light novels that roughly began the concepts behind the nasuverse used in both Fate and Tsukihime, and later a adapted into a 7-Episode OVA animated by Ufotable, with an epilogue and additional film titled "Mirari Fukuin". Revolves around Ryougi Shiki in the investigation of the paranormal, and known to take place during the 90's, in a city other than the ones present in Fate and Tsukihime. The novels have been translated to English by Baka-Tsuki up to volume 5,then canceled after a license was obtained by the publishing Company Del-Ray for official English release. Del-Rey has never officially translated the novels and so far there is no talk of it being localized.

Tsukihime
    - Visual novel telling the story of Tohno Shiki, and the first visual novel by Type-Moon before becoming the company they are today. Mainly a story about vampires and ability users, and bears a multitude of endings for each of the 5 heroines. Occurs in the late 90's, in Misaki town. Currently translated to English by Mirror-Moon. Has an excellent 10-volume Manga series called Shingetsutan Tsukihime but a crappy anime. Tsukihime 2 and a Tsukihime Remake have been rumored, with updated character CGs being spoiled at the end of 2012, but there is no telling when they would be released.

Kagetsu Tohya
    - A fandisk sequel to the Tsukihime Visual Novel, containing "Twilight Glass Moon, Fairy Tale Princess;" the main storyline, and "Ten Nights of Dream;" a series of side stories that either explain aspects of Tsukihime's characters or introduce you to countless shenanigans involving them. Is a non-linear game with a web of different endings, and for the most part you play the same day on repeat to discover and unlock new choices each time. Translated to English by Various residents of Beasts-Lair (Welcome!).

Melty Blood
    - 2-D Fighting game for PC, Arcade, and PS2 in Japan featuring characters from Tsukihime with some additional exclusive ones. Inspired the Melty Blood manga that consists of 6 volumes, and takes place sometime after Tsukihime. There are various Melty Blood games in the series, which is essentially the same game with new characters and music added in. In order, the Melty Blood games are as follows:
    -Melty Blood
    -Melty Blood: Re-Act
    -Melty Blood: Act Cadenza (PS2, PC, and Arcade)
    -Melty Blood: Actress Again (PS2 and Arcade)
    -Melty Blood: Actress Again Current Code (Arcade/PC)

Fate/Stay Night
    - Visual novel telling the story of Emiya Shirou and his involvement with the Holy Grail war. A story mainly about Magi, heroic spirits, and real world mythology and elaborates upon concepts within Tsukihime. Has three main story arcs, each very different in nature known as: Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel. Has an anime series which was based off of the Fate route (Not alot of people like it), and a full-length movie based on the Unlimited Blade Works route. Most all of the Fate oriented stories occur within Fuyuki City, and the time placement is in the early 2000's. There are various spin off's of the Fate franchise, and currently ufotable is animating either a remake based on the Unlimited Blade Works route, and a film or film series of Heaven's Feel.

Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua]
    - Updated Ps2 version of Fate/Stay Night visual novel with a few new scenes, is fully voice acted, and has some new CGs and Music. Does not have the Hentai scenes. Many versions of the Visual Novel people have played are patched to this version, but most people keep in the H scenes...I wonder why...

Fate/Zero
    - The prequel to Fate/Stay Night, taking place 10 years earlier. Consists of 4 light novels written by Gen Urobuchi with the story set by Kinoko Nasu. Considered by most to be a darker plot with a more tragic ending, something Urobuchi is known for in his writing style. Revolves around Kiritsugu Emiya and his involvement in the 4th Holy Grail War. Has been translated to English by BakaTsuki. Recieved an anime-adaptation by UFOtable in 2011!

Fate/Hollow Ataraxia
    - Visual Novel that is considered the sequel to Fate/Stay Night, taking place 6 months later. The game basically has two separate halves which at some point connect together, one being a more 'slice of life' fandisk that explains some back-stories behind a few of the characters (which assumes they are all alive after Fate/Stay Night). The other half of the story, considered somewhat canon, revolves around Bazett Fraga McRemitz; a member of the Mage's Association and her involvement with the anomalys of the 5th Holy Grail War, along with a new servant class Avenger. Durring the story the two repeat the same 3 days/nights of a proxy war over and over and eventually figure out a way to break the cycle. This part of the story is also considered rather dark by some, and Ataraxia as a whole is still in the process of being translated to English by various users of Beasts Lair.

Fate/Unlimited Codes
    - An official PS2 Fighting game containing characters from Fate/Stay Night, with a few cameos from Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. Each character contains customized routes to make their own stories, most being canon in their case. Was released on the Play-Station Network for the United States for PSP and is still buyable now.

Fate/Extra
    - An official PSP dungeon crawler RPG with Visual Novel aspects that occurs long after Fate/Stay Night, technically in a "parallel universe". Presents some interesting concepts and new servant characters into the nasuverse experience, and for the most part is considered canon, even if many fans would disagree. The player can choose between three servants to support their Master character, a Red Saber (not the same hero but same design), a Fox-Like Caster, and the original Archer. Takes place in a digital-world. Has a sequel in the form of Fate/Extra CCC.

Fate/Strange Fake
    - A short, fanmade and non-canon light novel written by the writer of "Baccano!" inserted and found within Type-Moon Magazine volume 2 (was first released as an April Fools Joke with no Illustrations for free online). Tells the story of a Holy Grail war originating in California, at the hands of what seems to be the US Government. Gilgamesh is a main character of this story, and isn't the maniacal character he was within Fate/Stay Night. Although non-canon, contains some interesting speculation on some servant identities and how they might be if they were canon.

Mahoutsukai no Yoru
    - Subtitled as "Witch on the Holy Night." a Novel originally released by Nasu in 1996, although now released as a Visual Novel in April 2012. Story focus is the sorcerer Aoko Aozaki and her experiences while attending school in her youth, taking place before stories like Tsukihime and Kara no Kyoukai.

Carnival Phantasm
    - Originaly a gag-dojin called Take-Moon by Eri Takenashi who wrote Kannagi, serialized in Type-Moon Ace magazine. Now a 16-Episode ova animated in late 2011. The story isn't about anything really, other than showing off inside jokes about Type-Moon and from parts of the other series, since it's about characters from all of Type-Moon's stories meeting each other. Not really canon at all but still references to things that are.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya
    - Another gag-dojin by a different author serialized in Comp-Ace. A 'what-if' tale about Illya becoming a magical girl, and having to capture servants within cards. Animated in 2013, set for two seasons. Also not canon.

2) List of Official Nasu-written sidestories of the Nasuverse;
    - Published or unpublished. (Many of these are found within Artbooks listed afterwards)

"Prelude"
    - A series of short stories published in Type-Moon's character material that mentions the vice president of the Magic Association en-route to kill a Dead Apostle known as Louvre. Shiki Tohno makes an appearance amongst the conflict. Hints at a possible Tsukihime sequel, yet is undetermined how it will be used in future stories. Translated to English by EvoSpace.

"Talk"
    - A Tsukihime-related short story, contained within the Tsukihime Plus Period artbook, that takes place sometime after the end of the original Tsukihime visual novel. Revolves mainly around Ciel and a Dead Apostle "ally" named Merem Solomon, and their involvement with another dead apostle known as the forest of Einnashe. Also hints at a possible Tsukihime sequel, but shares the same status as Prelude. Translated to English by EvoSpace.

"Angel Notes" or "Notes"
    - Short story published by Nasu in 1995 in Angel Voices, a doujin magazine. Takes place in a post-apocalyptic Earth, where the remains of human life are trying to survive an onslaught by the 8 almighty Aristoteles from the other planets. Old, but marginally related to the rest of the Nasuverse thanks to Character Material; where many of it's designs are described. By many is still considered to exist within the same universe as the other stories. Translated to English by fans.

3) List of Official Type-Moon Artbooks;
    - Note that there are many Type-Moon artbooks out there, whether they contain fan art or official art. These are considered the main books which contain significant material.

Character Material
    - An early artbook by Type-Moon that contains many concepts and character designs that at the time were not used. Some have been used in works we know of now, but many still remain as unimplemented into a major work other than a short-story or rough draft. Can be found in doujin stores in Japan, but not usually in mainstream bookstores. Also contains "Prelude" A series of short-stories pertaining to Tsukihime.

Tsukihime Plus Period
    - A popular artbook containing a great quantity of drawings and CG's from Melty Blood and Tsukihime. Also contains a small encyclopedia that explains a great deal of concepts that have either appeared or not within the nasuverse. Contains the Tsukihime prologue, as well as the short story "Talk" and some interviews.

Fate/Side Material
    - An thin artbook that came came with the limited edition of Fate/Stay Night. Has some illustrations, sketches, and an encyclopedia of terms/concepts/characters.

Fate/Complete Material
    - A series of Artbooks recently released to show different aspects of the Fate/Stay Night visual novel and universe. Is divided into 3 volumes, with two extra volumes that go with the set.
    Fate/Complete Material 1: Art Material (Contains CG's from the game with some character Info)
    Fate/Complete Material 2: Character Material (Contains Sketches and Bios of the characters +more)
    Fate/Complete Material 3: World Material (Contains World CGs alongside more Sketches)
    Fate/Complete Material: Extra Material (Contains artwork from Unlimited Codes, Tiger Colloseum, and Fate/Zero and more)
    Fate/Complete Material 5: Hollow Material (Contains CG's and information about Fate/Hollow Ataraxia)

Fate/Zero Material
    - Official Artbook containing official art, CGs, Bookcovers, and character information pertaining to Fate/Zero.

Type-Moon Ace
    - Ongoing Magazine by Type-Moon that talks about their series, stories, and news. Commonly contains interesting inserts and is sold at 800 yen per issue.

4) Stories not considered at this time to be related to the Nasuverse; and have little to do with Type-Moon, but were aided or created by Type-Moon employees.
    - Feel free to update me on any information you want to add on these, as I do not know much about most of them myself.

"DDD"
    - Known as Decoration Disorder Disconnection. A mystery novel written by Nasu, and occasionally published in Faust magazine. Known to consist of two novels; Junk the Eater, and HandS. Revolves around demonic possession and patients with a disease that gain a supernatural power. In progress by fans to be translated to English.

Kouri no Hana
    - Novel written by Nasu.

Tsuki no Sango
    -

Sora no Soto
    - Manga written by Nasu.

Valkyria
    - Manga/doujin comic series by Takeuchi.

CANAAN
    - Anime based off a route in 428 written by Nasu as a guest writer. Takes place in Shanghai.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; October 6th, 2014 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Updating

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    You'll want to organize these, but here's what I could think of. I don't think it would hurt to add the publication years for each one for the benefit of newcomers, either. But you'll have to do that on your own time or wait for me to get bored again.

Fate/hollow ataraxia: Sequel to Fate/stay night. Was designed as fan service, so it is considerably less serious than the first game (though there still is an overall plot) and focuses more on slice-of-life character interaction. Not voiced.

Kagetsu Tohya: Sequel to Tsukihime. Divided into "Twilight Glass Moon, Fairy Tale Princess", the main storyline, and "Ten Nights of Dream", a series of side stories.

Tsukihime remake: Has been mentioned, but not currently in production.

Tsukihime 2: Hinted at but never confirmed, so don't ask.

Fate/EXTRA: Alternate universe spin-off PSP role-playing game. Shares many character designs and a few concepts with F/SN and "main" Nasuverse, but for the most part they are completely unrelated.

Fate/Zero: Prequel print novel series to Fate/stay night. Takes place 10 years before the game, and details the Fourth Grail War.

Character Material: An artbook containing many unused (at the time) character designs and concepts the Nasu and Takeuchi either cut from current works, or have yet to implement.

Notes: Short story published in 1995 in Angel Voices, a doujin magazine. Takes place in a post-apocalyptic Earth, where the remains of human life are trying to survive an onslaught by the 8 almighty Aristoteles from the other planets. Old, but marginally related to the rest of the Nasuverse thanks to Character Material.

Mahoutsukai no Yoru: An upcoming visual novel centered around Aozaki Aoko, the Magician who previously appeared in Tsukihime and the later Melty Blood releases. Takes place in the 1980s. No adult content. Delayed until late 2011.

Fate/complete material: A recent series of Fate-related artbooks, featuring high-quality prints of art and CGs from the main game. Book I (Art material) contains no new content, but books II (Character material) and especially III (World material) contain updated information about the various lore and characters of the game, as well as first-time prints of the additional Realta Nua assets. Book IV (Extra material) is due sometime in 2011.

Talk: A Tsukihime-related short story that takes place sometime after the end of the game, published in Plus Period. Possible setup for a sequel, but for now it is what it is.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime: The official manga adapation of Tsukihime. Sort of follows Arcueid's routes. Highly recommended in comparison to the anime.

Yep, thanks a bunch for your tips. I will be sure to update it when I get back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bargadiel View Post
    Based on the Melty-Blood manga that consists of 6 volumes.
    Actually, it is the other way around.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that kind of made me go "WAT"

My mistake. :x

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Other things that may not exactly be considered Type-Moon:

Valkyria (Manga/doujin series by Takeuchi) - translated by Evo - RK's fansite

Kouri no Hana (Novel by Nasu)

DDD (Novel by Nasu with Koyama illustrating) - JtheE by arai.

Sora no Soto (Manga by Nasu)

CANAAN (Anime based off a route in 428 written by Nasu as a guest writer) - Translated by like 4 or 5 groups.

The only reason I know of Kouri no Hana is because DDD2 had a character called Kouri no Hana.
    Last edited by Cruor; March 15th, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Updated the post, and thanks Cruor, I will go ahead and add those too. When I get the time I will go back through the post and fix any grammar errors/add or elaborate when needed, organize, and of course highlight the topic names. Thanks again for the information!

夜魔 Nightmare
    Wait, did Mirror-Moon really translate Kagetsu Tohya? I swear I could not find it on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by GlanGR View Post
    Wait, did Mirror-Moon really translate Kagetsu Tohya? I swear I could not find it on their site.
    Nope, it was actually the efforts of a number of the Beast's Lair residents. I think they used the group name 'Lunacy' or something similar. Delta was the main organizer, IIRC.

EDIT: And more! I didn't really pay attention beyond the fact that most of them posted on this site for updates. Hum.

Quote Originally Posted by GlanGR View Post
    No, another group of kind souls split across various site did it. It says compiled by Lunacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Read Me
    5. TRANSLATION CREDITS
    (in alphabetical order)

* amukunau (working from TeamSky's Korean version):
    Twilight Grass Moon
    Good luck, Ciel-Sensei
    Hisui-chan, Inversion Impulse
    Daily Messages
    * Crimson:
    Crimson Moon
    * EvoSpace:
    Red Demon God
    * lvlln (working from TeamSky's Korean version):
    Nanako-chan SOS
    Imogirisou
    Flower of Thanatos
    Additional help with Twilight Grass Moon
    * Toranth:
    A Story for the Evening
    The Tohno Family Con Game
    Dawn
    Summer Festivals
    Drinking, Dreaming Moon

Special translation help:
    * alyeris
    * Baiken
    * htsuji
    * Ryuusoul

6. Thanks

Shouts go out to the translators whose hard work made this possible in the
    first place, all beta testers (too many to mention in the meanwhile, you know
    who you are), Anonymous because he doesn't forgive, Anonyfag, InsaneZero and
    all the other typemoonish tripfags of /a/, everyone at wakachan's /fate/ and
    /tmh/, everyone at Beast's Lair, especially Baiken for indepth consulting,
    the makers of Moonlit World, Crimson Moon Archives and Fuyuki, Mirror Moon
    for introducing Tsukihime (and ONscripter) to the masses, teamSKY for the
    Korean translation, and of course TYPE-MOON for obvious reasons.
    In Progress: Melty Blood
    Complete: Garden of Sinners, Fate/stay night, Tsukihime, Tsukihime Plus+Disc, Kagetsu Tohya

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think tjm and Ryuusoul did most of it. But it was really a bunch of people.

Edit: Actually, I think I'll expand on everything:

Known to consist of two novels; Junk the Eater, and HandS.
    DDD Volume 1 consists of 4 stories:
    1. JtheE (Junk the Eater)
    2. HandS (R)
    3. HandS (L)
    4. formalhunt.

Volume 2 consists of:
    1. S.vs.S (Sinker vs Slugger)-1
    2. S.vs.S-2
    3. /FOMALHAUT.
    4. /Vt. in day dream.

The two volumes aren't really named.

Kouri no Hana
    - Novel written by Nasu.
    It's about a knight. No magic from what I hear.

Sora no Soto
    - Manga written by Nasu.
    Well, really there's the manga part and the novel part. Manga is pretty much a section of /Vt. in day dream where Kanata rampages around Orgia Hospital. It focuses on the battle she called the strongest (while I said before that Kanata rampages around Orgia we don't really see it). The manga shows/details the fight between Ookuma Mokumoku. The novel is Nasu writing a story about a random image. There's also MAGNATUNING.

Valkyria
    - Manga/doujin comic series by Takeuchi.
    A story revolving around valkyrie who fight using the souls of their hero.
    Last edited by Cruor; March 16th, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Fatuous One View Post
    Nope, it was actually the efforts of a number of the Beast's Lair residents. I think they used the group name 'Lunacy' or something similar. Delta was the main organizer, IIRC.

EDIT: And more! I didn't really pay attention beyond the fact that most of them posted on this site for updates. Hum.
    Ahh I see, thanks for the clarification once more. For the most part I think the post is done, if there's anything else you guys want to add feel free to tell me. I just wanted to make a guide for some people, since it can get pretty confusing, especially when it comes to the stuff about Notes and Prelude/Talk; as some people have no idea where to physically find them or what they really are.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Then you should probably just limit the list to Type-Moon for now. DDD is just going to confuse people.

Mm well, I think it should at least be on there. I can probably take off the random manga/dojins at the end. But honestly when I first heard of DDD and Cannan I wish I could have found out in one place if they were canon or not.

Personally, I don't really see why Fate/strange fake is listed up there with the major releases, since it was mostly an April Fools joke (from what I understand, at least), very short, and non-canon. If it's up there, then there really should be a "Doujin/Non-canon" section, and have stuff like the recent Ilya manga as well. Might also consider making an "adaptations" section for those interested. Just some suggestions, though, I do think it looks fine the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Personally, I don't really see why Fate/strange fake is listed up there with the major releases, since it was mostly an April Fools joke (from what I understand, at least), very short, and non-canon. If it's up there, then there really should be a "Doujin/Non-canon" section, and have stuff like the recent Ilya manga as well. Might also consider making an "adaptations" section for those interested. Just some suggestions, though, I do think it looks fine the way it is.
    I was thinking heavily about where to put strange fake. It isnt canon but it is part of the nasuverse conceptually, so I put it with the rest, so long as it says it is fanmade in my description, It cant hurt. I also wanted to put all of the fate stuff together, so that way people who encounter it can just read all of the categories.

Blog Entries
    FYI Canaan takes place in Shanghai, not the Middle East.

I wouldn't consider Fate/Extra non-canon; it diverges from other timelines in the 1980s, but it's no less official an entry to the wider Nasuverse.

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    FYI Canaan takes place in Shanghai, not the Middle East.
    Fixed. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
    I wouldn't consider Fate/Extra non-canon; it diverges from other timelines in the 1980s, but it's no less official an entry to the wider Nasuverse.
    I will change my wording, although we are on the same stream of thought. Thanks~