View Poll Results: See Post.

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 59.09%
  • Nah

0 0%
  • If other people did it, I'd jump on the bandwagon.

9 40.91%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fanfiction Recs

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Nice. Thanks Prix.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix with a Silent X View Post
    W-What is... this?

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No, but seriously. When did this happen? Why do you have it? There are no direct links. I'm confused.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix with a Silent X View Post
    No, but seriously. When did this happen? Why do you have it? There are no direct links. I'm confused.
    Ah.

On our profile pages. There's walls of text between us from a year or two ago.

Blog Entries
    [squints] It is slowly coming back to me but not why it began.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Dunno, something about two dweebs being giddy over their fan-fiction. Best not to dwell on it, love.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I'm happy to hear you're starting this up!

I hope there will be many fanfics we can add to our "Like" piles here. Maybe people will be inspired by them.

Blog Entries
    My father has been in and out of the hospital the past couple weeks. He's doing... somewhat better? And I'm going out of town for a couple days since it was planned before and he said he's okay with it. Anyway, I will get back to this ASAP, but I do plan to post a fic challenge... thing a bit later.

I also plan to, when I get this done, make the fic rec list redundant as in on BL and somewhere else I can back it up.

What I plan to post isn't a fic "contest" per se, and I can't draw and am pretty broke so does anyone have any thoughts as to incentive or prize for successfully completing a challenge that anyone can complete given time and effort? Is there anything one could get other than a job well-done?

Other Links

Spoiler:

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    This will sound like a cliché, but I'm really more interested in reviews than any prizes. Perhaps we could have a rule that everyone who participates must also review the other fics?

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    The real prize is honest criticism of your work.

Blog Entries
    and who here would want that
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    me

because my writing is already perfect and without flaw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    and who here would want that
    Honest criticism on the relevant content and not on the author's preferences and interests, perhaps...

- - -

But yeah, I like Spoony's idea and had considered it honestly. But I think that it would have to be constructive criticism, nice review, or some version of "if you don't have anything nice to say, say very little."

Other Links

Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nice review?

Blog Entries
    I'm not going to pretend you guys don't know what I'm talking about and what I'm discouraging.

Other Links

Spoiler:

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    There is a difference between thinking you know, and knowing, and I did not want to draw my own conclusions from two words that leave much room for ambiguity. If left to my own devices I would naturally assume the worst, that "nice review" is meant to be uncritical praise whose end goal is not honest critique for the purpose of bettering one's writing, and instead merely sugar-coated validation of their efforts without regard for the end product.

I do not actually want to assume this. My post was an indication that I would like you to elaborate on the term and clear up said ambiguity. Snippy, perhaps, but valid nonetheless.

I would still appreciate an explanation, if you are willing to provide one.

Blog Entries
    Well, I said:

constructive criticism, nice review, or some version of "if you don't have anything nice to say, say very little."
    Constructive criticism is fine. I just don't think that a presumptive assumption that individuals posting fanfiction here, or anywhere, would not want "honest criticism" with an apparently underlying implication that any "honest" criticism would be negative, hurtful, or critical of the author's interests. There are things I don't like to read and don't approve of being produced, but there's only so much that I can do to police that within the forum's rules. What I'm aiming for is constructive criticism that is given in good faith and commentary that is on the fic itself rather than the parts of Type Moon the author likes, for example.

Other Links

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Hey all. Sorry it's been radio silence on my part. After my dad got better from his health scare and surgery and stuff, I was busy getting ready to come to Japan to work for a couple of months. Now I've started working in Japan and am not sleeping every moment I'm not in training, I should be able to get back on this soon.

Other Links

Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

I don’t know if this is premature, but everyone has to know about this gem:

Alea Iacta Est
    by Jaenera Targaryen

Summary: She abandoned her family a long time ago, rolling the dice in childish impudence and by chance won the winner's roll. Over ten years have passed since then, but as Rin Tohsaka and Shirou Emiya arrive at the Clock Tower, Sakura Tohsaka wonders if interesting times are come again.

This story deserves praise just for the sheer choices the author has made for its content.It's a slice of life/drama that takes place at the Clock Tower. The premise is two years after the end of Fate/stay night's Unlimited Blade Works route, with one key difference: Sakura wasn't there, having run away from home before being sent off to live with the Matous. The central characters are Sakura, Shirou, Rin, and Luvia, with Touko, Lord El-Melloi II and Reines Archisorte as members of the supporting cast. The only pairing in this story is Shirou/Rin, and the author doesn't focus too much on romance, which in this troper's opinion only benefits the story. Which isn't to say there's none, it's just uncommon, and that much sweeter for it. There are a fair few OCs, particularly four who comprise up Luvia and Rin's social circles. but they're written well enough. All this being the case, Your Milage May Vary.

The grammar isn't flawless, but is very close to being so, and the style is very pleasant to read. All of the canon characters behave very much like themselves and the writer is good at giving them distinctive voices.

This troper's biggest criticism of this story is the use of references to other media. Often in the instance of characters' names. Sometimes a reference gets lampshaded, which is fine, but it was somewhat heavyhanded in chapter 13.

The author does admittedly have a bad habit of writing long stories and dropping them after 100,000 words, but this isn’t universally true for them. I’m hoping this will be one that they finish.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.